Something to Talk About by cschoolgirl
Summary:

It took the rumor to make me wonder,

Now I'm convinced that I'm goin' under.

"Something to Talk About"- Bonnie Raitt

 


Categories: X2 Characters: None
Genres: Shipper
Tags: None
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 2435 Read: 2464 Published: 10/06/2014 Updated: 10/06/2014
Story Notes:

Thanks to both SJS and Jamie for making this fic readable.

1. Chapter 1 by cschoolgirl

Chapter 1 by cschoolgirl

Logan heard his door open and then slam shut. Marie's reflection appeared in his bathroom mirror, arms crossed and leaning on the doorjamb.  He met her eyes in the mirror, asking, "What happened?"  She finally realized that he was half dressed and huffed off into the bedroom. 

"Everything and nothing."  He continued his careful process of shaving, imagining Marie waving her arms in the air trying to decide where to flop.  "Jubilee is at it again."  She let out a heavy sigh, the bed making a slight creak as she made her choice.  "She's telling everyone we're a couple.  Going on about some anniversary or something we have this month."

He wiped the last of the shaving cream from his face and entered the bedroom.  "That's about right.  Three years to be exact, although I don't know if I'd call it an anniversary." She watched him pull on this t-shirt and sit down in the overstuffed chair to put on his boots.  Logan took pity on her, fearing that the creases in her forehead would become permanent.  "Laughlin City ring a bell?"

"Oh god, that's this month?" Marie beamed at him.  "Anniversary or no, I need to find a way to make Jubes drop the happy couple shtick."

"People usually don't gossip if there is nothing to talk about."  Marie looked at him questioningly as he stood up and retrieved his jacket.  "All I'm saying is if they think we're a couple, then it's old news and not worth the time."

She sat up with her mouth agape, "You mean if we play the happy couple that Jubes might shut up?"

He snorted.  "That'll never happen, but she might move on to another topic."

"How long would this take?" Marie asked.

"Few months?  Maybe more, depending on how believable we are." Logan replied as he opened the door to the hall.

"If it'll get Jubes to drop the subject, I'm in."  Hopping off the bed, she exited the door ahead of him.  "But I might need some coaching.  I've never been in a  'serious relationship' before."

"I'll see what I can do, Marie."

 


 

Marie sat on the other end of the Rec room couch from him, huddled under a blanket.  Logan patted the couch beside him. "The plan won't work if you're always sittin' over there." 

She crawled over, settling in the crook of his arm, re-tucking her blanket around her feet.  "This is going to take some gettin' used to."

"We've got plenty of time."  Resting his arm around her shoulders, he added, "It might be best if we start spending more time together."

She wrinkled her forehead in thought.  "I could start doing some of my course work in your room.  Would it be okay if I left some of my stuff there?"  Giving him a sideways glance, Marie quickly added, "Not too much, just some books and a pair of gloves.  Stuff like that."

"Probably a good idea.  There's plenty of space for whatever you want to leave."

Snuggling in closer, she rested her head on his shoulder.  "I think I could start to like this part.  It's more comfortable over here with you."

"Hmmm…"  Logan was content for the moment.  Marie was satisfied with their pace, and hopefully she wouldn't give up before his ultimate goal was reached.  By then maybe it would be her goal also.

 


 

"I really need to get back to my room soon, Jubes will be looking for me." Marie said looking at her watch.  Logan cocked an eyebrow at her.  She nodded, "You're right, it would be better for her to find me here."

"And don't look like you're expecting her." suggested Logan, laying down his book.

She flopped onto the bed then sat up and pulled off her shoes. Tossing her shoes by the bed, she quickly added her hoodie to form a small pile. "Do you mind?"  she asked indicating the neatly made bed.

With an amused smile, he replied, "Have at it, darlin'."  Pulling down the comforter, she rearranged the pillows to make herself comfortable.  She then proceeded to wiggle around to mess up the rest of the covers.  "Comfy?"

Marie's smile dissolved into a frown. "No. Come here."  Logan made his way to her, curious as to what she had come up with.  Staring at him a second, she seemed to have decided on a course of action.  "Take off your flannel shirt and sit down."  She patted the bed next to her after he added his shirt to the growing pile of clothing on the floor.  Fluffing a pillow for him, she pushed him down when he sat on the bed.  She pulled off his boots, dropping them over the side.  He watched her chew on her bottom lip, she flushed slightly.  "I need to undo your buckle." 

Trying to maintain his calm, he put his hands behind his head.  "You've been studying."

"Youtube is great for sexy snippets from chick flicks."  When she finished with his buckle, she leaned over him and reached for his hair.  "Can I?"

"Yes," he said huskily.  Closing his eyes he worked on keeping his breathing even, taking in as much of Marie as his senses would allow.  She carefully raked her hands through his hair.

Satisfied she sat back on her knees.  "Oh, you want to see what the Professor and I have been workin' on." 

Logan eyed her through heavy lids and gave a slight nod.  She settled cross-legged, closed her eyes and carefully took his hand.  "The two of you've been working on a handshake?"  he teased.

"What?" She looked down at their hands, "Oh, I wear gloves all the time, except in the shower, I sometimes forget."  He tried to swallow, but his mouth had gone dry.  Banishing the images that were infiltrating his brain, he tried not to watch as she peeled off her gloves. 

Marie closed her eyes again and laid her bare hand in his.  He studied the calmness in her features; wishing to prolong this time with her.  She smiled, eyes still closed. "You're staring at me."

"You do this with Chuck?" he asked.

"Oh, god no!  Not without my gloves, but he said this week he could sense a difference in my peace of mind.  He thought I might be ready to try touching again."  Peeking at him from half-closed lids, "Are you upset that I picked you to practice on?"

"No, Marie.  I'm glad you let me help."  Logan ran a few comforting circles with his thumb on the back of her hand with his thumb.  Watching the motion for a moment, Marie began to stroke her other hand up his arm.  He wanted to do more than run circles on her hand, but watching her face, he could see that she needed all of her concentration to keep her mutation in check.

"Rogue!" The door swung open, Jubilee barraging in. "Come on girl!"  Her lip curled up and she immediately turned and went back down the hall grumbling. "You two really need to learn how to lock the door."

With a heavy sigh, Marie picked up her gloves and crawled over to where her clothes were piled on the floor.  Pulling on her hoodie and tying her shoes, she looked over her shoulder at him.  "Logan, can we practice again tomorrow?"

"Anytime, Marie. Anytime."

 


 

Hopping up on the bathroom counter, Marie slid back to lean against the wall. Logan put a minimal amount of shaving cream on his chin and throat. As of late, she had taken a particular interest in watching him shave each morning. He wasn't sure if it was a curiosity in how to form good mutton chops or a need to observe him, and really he didn't care, if it meant she was nearby.

"Let me do it," she asked, wetting the washcloth. He looked at her skeptically. "Come on, I've been watching for a while now."

Sighing, he wondered when he'd started granting her every request. "I'm not going to regret this, am I?"

Marie smiled at him. "I promise to be careful."

Logan made room for her as she edged toward the sink. Apparently she was planning on staying on the counter, and he shifted over between her knees and handed over the razor. He rested a palm on her knee, making sure that he didn't sway during the process. Looking at her made him smile. The hand with the razor was stopped midair and her eyes where closed. "Marie?"

"Oh, sorry. Just thinking." His hand on her knee had evidently distracted her. He resisted the urge to sniff her scent. Besides being too obvious, it wouldn't help him to know what her body's reaction had been.

A small, frustrated sigh escaped her, and Logan lightly placed his hand over hers. "Loosen up, it's not surgery."

"I don't want to hurt you."

"I trust you, Marie." Smiling, she let him help make the first stroke. After rinsing the blade, she carefully completed the second. He turned his head slightly to give her better access to the rest of his neck as she slowly proceeded.

Oddly, Logan found himself enjoying this morning's shave. It had everything to do with the concentration Marie exerted and nothing at all to do with the way her breast kept brushing his arm every time she turned to rinse the razor. At least that is what he told himself.

Rinsing the razor for the last time, she traded it for the damp washcloth. She made sure any trace of shaving cream was dabbed off.  He could feel her breath on the moist skin of his neck. He wanted her to make the next move. Whether to signal him to move away or to draw closer and prolong the closeness.

The latter was her choice as she dropped the washcloth on the counter and she made no further motion to indicate that he needed to back up. Marie began examining her work with a gentle hand, running it up his throat, over his chin, and along his upper lip. Logan fought the instinct to sink his hands into her hair and thoroughly kiss her. If there were to be a kiss, it would be on her terms.

Marie surprised him with the first soft brush of her lips at the corner of his mouth. The nervousness that was coming off her in waves, coupled with the trembling of her hand on his shoulder strengthened his resolve to let her take the lead. He exhaled slowly, as she pulled back the second time. Determination glinted in her eyes. She focused on his lips and only glanced up to catch his eye on her third descent.

This time, she took his still-parted lips as an invitation and made a tentative exploration of his bottom lip with her tongue. Seemingly unsatisfied, she investigated further, aided with a hand at the back of his neck to pull him closer. At that point he could no longer be passive, but reined  in his desire enough to still let her take the lead.

Somewhere mid-kiss, a sharp knock sounded on the outer door followed, by a high-pitched voice. "Rogue?"

Marie jumped at the sound of her name and started to scoot off the counter. She stood for a moment trapped between Logan and the counter, letting her hand slide down his chest. "I forgot, I'm supposed to go study for algebra with Kitty."

 


 

Marie had spent most of the afternoon in his company in the garage while he worked on this motorcycle.  Logan didn't really need any help, but far be it from him to tell Marie that.  Her companionship was one of the few pleasures he had. If she was satisfied handing him tools then so was he.

Sitting almighty close, she listened attentively and asked a few questions. He knelt to make a final adjustment and became aware of her hand on his thigh and her warm breath on his ear.  Logan turned his head to face her; she was gazing at him intently.  She didn't have far to lean to kiss him squarely on the mouth.  Dropping his wrench, he shifted to fully meet her.  Marie pushed him into a sitting position and straddled his lap.  Eager for another kiss, she raked her fingers through his hair.

When Marie let him come up for air, he insisted, "Let me clean my hands?"  She shook her head no and seized him for another kiss.  He struggled to keep up with her without covering her clothes in grease and oil.

Finally, she pulled away tugging at his bottom lip with her teeth.  "I have an appointment with the Professor."  Standing up, she surveyed the way she left him sprawled on the floor.  Bending down, she offered an apologetic kiss, "Sorry, have to run."

"Catch ya' later?" Logan called after her.

"Definitely," she answered as she rounded the corner, exiting the garage.

 


 

"Move over, darlin'," Logan hated to be territorial with Marie, he could just as easily go to the other side, but this was his side.

A muffled, "How did the mission go?" came from the pillow as he nudged her toward the middle of the bed.

"The usual," he replied slipping under the covers to lie by her. 

"You're staring."  She paused, burrowing further under the blankets.  "I should go to my room now that you're back."

"Naw. It's a big bed.  You're fine."

He woke up sometime in the night to turn over and found his way blocked.  She lay curled up at his side, a tangle of hair across his shoulder.  As if on cue she rolled to her other side, allowing him room to spoon in behind her.  With a content sigh, she snuggled deeper into his grasp.  "I could get used to this."

He smiled into her hair, "All part of the plan."

"Which plan?  Because that wasn't part of our plan." she asked, twisting onto her back to face him. 

Raising himself up on his elbow, he looked at her seriously.  "Plan B.  You should always have a back-up plan."

"Do I need a Plan B?"  Marie asked, running a hand along his chest.

"It depends, how is the original plan working out?"

Her hand came to a stop on his shoulder.  "Well the 'shut Jubes up ' plan is failing miserably.  However, I would be willing to consider your Plan B, if you don't mind showing me the details."  Logan gave her a mischievous smile as she pulled him down for a kiss.

~*~

This story archived at http://wolverineandrogue.com/wrfa/viewstory.php?sid=4089