Empire of Dirt by cschoolgirl
Summary:

Everything falls apart.


Categories: X2 Characters: None
Genres: Angst
Tags: None
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 389 Read: 2049 Published: 10/27/2013 Updated: 10/27/2013
Story Notes:

Thank you to Jamie and SJS for making this shiny.

1. Chapter 1 by cschoolgirl

Chapter 1 by cschoolgirl

 

~*~

I hurt myself today

To see if I still feel

"Hurt" - Johnny Cash's cover of Nine Inch Nails

~*~

 

He finds you in a random back alley, hunched over like some common crack whore.  He doesn't ask how you do it; few things puncture the skin on the invincible.  Knowing won't make the holes in your arms disappear any faster.

He picks you up, gently as to not break the already-fragile porcelain doll.  You wish he would be rough, almost violent, try to knock some sense into you.  But he doesn't, not once in all these months. 

Even in the drug haze; when he pulled down your sleeves, your mutation has sucked on his thoughts.  He holds you tighter as you cry, thinking you're sorry for this mess once again.  But you're too weak to tell him that you hate him for not following through with his first impulse; to kick your ass and leave you to your fate.  Maybe then you'd get your act together.

Scott opens the door when you arrive at the mansion.  At one time, he might have asked for an explanation, but that is too many years and too many lost friends ago.  Before you started to punish your body for outlasting them all.  Before Logan began following you to punish his soul for caring.

You wake up in the usual manner; in bed, freshly showered and in clean clothes.  You roll over to find your caretaker staring at you through cigar smoke.  There was a time he wouldn't have smoked in your room out of respect for you; but like most things, those days are long gone.

He offers you healing.  You assure him you're fine, even though both of you know you're not.  He shuts the door behind him without a backward glance.  You're glad. 

You don't want to see his thoughts.  To know that he once loved you.  The two of you could have been more than friends, if the lives of the X-Men had gone differently.  If the world hadn't changed so drastically with one little bill of legislation.

But it has, and it did.  And now, there is nothing more to him than a reluctant keeper, with a promise he won't let himself break.  After all this, you are left with nothing but self-loathing: yours and his.

~*~

This story archived at http://wolverineandrogue.com/wrfa/viewstory.php?sid=4072