Camping by cschoolgirl
Summary:

Logan and Marie go camping.


Categories: X1 Characters: None
Genres: Shipper
Tags: None
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 861 Read: 2805 Published: 08/12/2013 Updated: 08/12/2013
Story Notes:

Decided to post it even though the ending is meh.  Thanks to those people that helped beta this.

1. Chapter 1 by cschoolgirl

Chapter 1 by cschoolgirl

Her lips were sticky sweet and inviting. At least that's how he remembered it, that and being afraid for the first time in years.

Logan let four years slide by. At first she was too young and in high school. Then she started college, committed to finishing her teaching degree in three years instead of the usual four. She was either taking classes or studying, and had no time for other things.

Not wanting to interfere, but wanting to remain near her, he quietly accepted a spot on the team. Eventually he started instructing students in self defense to stay busy during the day while she attended college. They spent what little time was left getting to know each other.

Over the years they talked about taking small trips, but something always came up. When she graduated, she told him to make plans to take her on that trip. Somewhere without people.

She didn't seem surprised when he suggested they finish the only trip they ever really started. A week later they headed out for Canada, camping and driving with no true destination in mind.


He sat down on the log next to her, watching her toast marshmallows. He still couldn't believe he let her talk him into those things. Stretching his legs toward the fire, he started his second beer of the evening.

The first night he ate one she offered and only one. Marshmallows were pure sugar and too sweet for him to eat any of the others she toasted. He chalked burnt marshmallows up as one of those little mysteries about her he would never understand.

The light from the flames made her skin glow, and he wished this time with her wouldn't be ending so soon. He couldn't remember ever having felt as comfortable as he did with her, especially this last week. He assumed once they were back in Westchester he would probably not see her as she packed for one of those far-off schools that offered her a job. He remembered how excited she was when the job offer from Alaska came.

Before long he would be a distant memory, a forgotten schoolgirl's crush.

He turned to look at her. Her eyes brimming with laughter as she relayed a story from her childhood. It was times like these, when she was happy, that he would let himself think that she could love him.

She nudged him with her shoulder, glancing up to offer the other marshmallow. His eyes followed her tongue as it darted out to capture the melted confection at the corner of her mouth.

Her lips were beckoning to him. He hovered over her a second, tasting the sweetness of her breath, before their lips met. Her warm lips melted to his. He was instantly afraid this was not only their first kiss, but their last.

He pulled away abruptly, grabbing a nearby stick and began to poke at the fire. He was scared to look into her eyes, to see the pain of what he had just done to their friendship there.

"Logan..." Her confusion only added to his guilt. His brain told him that he should apologize, tell her that he was caught up in the moment. His heart wanted him to confess, to lay it all on the line.

"Dammit, Marie, I love you." He fiercely jabbed at the fire with the stick. "I should have told you years ago." He tossed a small chunk of wood onto the fire, making the flames sputter and lick angrily at the new fuel. He shook his head, mad at himself for his inability to tell her the things he needed to.

"Now that you're leaving..."

He moved to stand but was stopped by a hand on his leg. He looked at her face for the first time since kissing her.

Her eyes were bright, not only from the reflection of the dancing flames in their depths, but with hope. His focus shifted to her hand as it moved to rest on his thigh. The heat that radiated through him from her hand set his body on fire.

"I'm not leaving, Logan. I love you. You're stuck with me." Everything had changed so quickly. Frozen, he could only stare at her for a second as she smiled up at him.

Then he kissed her again. This time she parted her lips letting his tongue explore her mouth. She tasted of caramelized sugar and something else exclusively Marie.

He drew back to catch his breath, and she took the opportunity to climb onto his lap. He cradled her in his arms, closing his eyes, lost in the sensations of her slender fingers raking through his hair. He inhaled deeply, smelling the crisp night air, wood smoke, and her desire.

She willingly let his hands roam her body. Her breath, hot on his neck, sent all of his senses into overdrive. Suddenly he couldn't get enough of her.

He stood up with her still secure in his arms and walked past the fire to where their sleeping bags were already out for the night. They held each other, whispering the longings tucked away in their hearts for four years. He drifted off to sleep with her in his arms and all of his uncertainties left behind.


~*~

This story archived at http://wolverineandrogue.com/wrfa/viewstory.php?sid=4064