Tonight It's Me by cschoolgirl
Summary:

She was taking the feelings Logan evoked in her to the limit.


Categories: X1 Characters: None
Genres: Shipper
Tags: None
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 2024 Read: 3453 Published: 08/12/2013 Updated: 08/12/2013
Story Notes:

Once again this is DD's fault. Blame it on her Fandom Nation's Fast, Loose and Lovely Challenge. Also, thanks as always to the cast of characters (Vic, Jamie, Dizzy, DD and Khaki) that make my stories readable.

1. Chapter 1 by cschoolgirl

Chapter 1 by cschoolgirl

Rogue stared at her reflection in the mirror, taking in the way her dress set off her figure. She felt naked without her ever-present, opera-length gloves and sheer scarf. Everyone at Xavier's fundraiser would get her point loud and clear. She was in control of her mutation. Which would make it that much easier to carry out her plan. Tonight, she would seduce Logan, get him out of her system and move on with her life.

It wasn't like she hadn't tried before -- not to seduce Logan, but to get on with her life. She reminded herself every day since meeting him three years ago that she was just infatuated. It was a lie and she knew it. Yet it was easier to try and believe a lie than feel hurt every time he brought another woman to the mansion.

The thin walls gave her an earful of his nocturnal activities. Long-term relationships were not part of his life. She felt the best any woman could expect from Logan was a sleepless night and a quick grope before the cab arrived in the morning.

In the past she'd dated quite a bit. Yet, each relationship was doomed the second she discovered that kissing any of those men didn't arouse in her even the slightest of the sensations that flooded her when Logan looked her way.

She'd made up her mind months ago, after her last breakup, to take the feelings Logan evoked in her to the limit. Until they were gone. She bid her time making sure that her control was flawless. All the while refining her plan.

Their mutual attraction to each other only enhanced her chances of success. In the past their flirting led nowhere, when he failed to take her seriously. She decided her best course of action with him was to offer him something irresistible, and first crack at the suddenly touchable Marie just might be it. And what better place to showcase her new found mastery than at one of the Professor's charity functions?

Checking her appearance a final time, she tucked a stray hair into place before leaving her room. She almost turned back as she neared the mansion's ballroom. The butterflies in her stomach were threatening to take over. "Come on girl, you can do this. Just go in there and get what you came for."

Rogue felt all eyes turn toward her as she entered the room. As Logan's gaze settled on her, the jitters disappeared and were replaced with satisfaction. Despite previous misgivings, this dress was a good choice. The burgundy enhanced her complexion, not to mention the way the fabric hugged her curves. She felt the weight of his stare as she made her way across the floor to her assigned seat with the younger X-Men.



Remy was pouring on the charm as he twirled her around the dance floor, but she was busy watching Logan out of the corner of her eye. He hadn't made a move to break in on any of her dances, but his scowl deepened with each new partner. She thanked Remy as the song ended and headed straight for the door through which Logan had disappeared moments earlier.

The cool night air was a welcome change from the stuffy ballroom. It felt good on her bare arms. She didn't see Logan among those taking a breather on the veranda and stepped onto the path leading to the gardens. A few minutes later, she made out the glow of a cigar in the distance, smiling to herself as he emerged from the shadows to lean against a tree.

Away from the shelter of the veranda, the gentle breeze took on a definite chill. Approaching him, she began to rub her arms in a vain attempt to ward off the cold. Chattering teeth were not going to help her plan, unless he offered to warm her. On cue, he shucked his suit jacket and draped it over her shoulders, holding it a second so that she could push her arms into the sleeves. Maybe this would be easier than she thought.

After several minutes of comfortable silence, something she could never share with other men, she turned toward him as he snuffed out the last of his cigar. "You're not leaving already, are you? I didn't get to dance with you yet."

He fidgeted nervously with the collar of his black shirt. This was the first time anyone had been able to convince him to wear a suit to a fundraisers. "Marie, you know I don't fit in at these things."

She stepped backward and looked him over from head to toe. "I don't know about that. You look handsome in all black. It's like that suit was tailor made for you."

He snorted in disbelief.

"Now, how about that dance?"

He extended a hand to her. Taking it, she turned to walk back up the path to the mansion, but he didn't budge. She looked at him questioningly. "There's no music out here, Logan."

"Trust me, Marie."

It felt strange at first. She was used to following the rhythm of the music. He effortlessly guided her through the rose bushes and between the uprights of the arbor. The ease with which he moved, shouldn't have surprised her. He did most things with a natural cat-like agility.

He talked to her in a carefree manner that would make Remy look like a fraud. She felt lighthearted for the first time in years. Logan would be a favorite at Xavier's galas if he were to show this side of himself. Then again he probably knew that this kind of behavior would lead to an evening full of escorting rich, elderly women around the dance floor.

She was so lost in her thoughts that she almost missed his disclosure. "You look beautiful, Marie."

She stopped suddenly and swayed even closer to him. "How beautiful, Logan?"

He didn't respond in words. Instead he pulled her tight against his chest and kissed her fiercely, passionately. When he finally broke away, they were both breathing heavily. She caught the dark desire in his eyes before he could hide it.

That was her opening and she wasn't going to waste the chance. She knew a way to get her intentions across to him. She only wished she was more experienced with sex. She wanted to be able to do this without fumbling.

She enjoyed the sound of his ragged breathing as she unbuttoned his shirt and placed lingering kisses on his chest. Smiling up at him, she started to slowly sink down to her knees. When she reached for his zipper, he stopped her, gently pulling her back up to her full height.

He cupped her face in his hands. "Not here, Marie. Not like this." He took her hand and led her to his room using the back stairs.



The first time wasn't as awkward as she thought it would be, but that was due to Logan's patience.

She lay next to him, body still tingling from the encounter, and wishing again for more experience. She was clueless when it came to the unwritten rules of casual sex. She didn't know if she should spend the night or leave now. Was she supposed to wait for some cue from him? Did she just kiss him goodbye, or give him a friendly hug? She didn't know how to leave without creating a scene.

Her thoughts were interrupted when his mouth found the sensitive skin under her ear. Well, she had started this evening prepared to see this out. And that hand moving across her abdomen sent sensations through her body that were worth exploring further.



Third time was supposed to be the charm, she thought as she rested her head on his chest. Even after four times in as many hours, his breath on her skin made her excited. How was she suppose to work him out of her system, if every touch, every kiss ingrained him even deeper?

She knew for certain now that this was not just an infatuation. She was in love with him. The very thing she had been trying to lie about for so long. She wished just once, one of her plans could work out like it was supposed to.


 


"Come on, darlin'." His voice woke her.

"Give me another minute." Her brain still felt fuzzy. If he kept this up she wasn't ever going to get any sleep.

"Marie, you need to get up so you can go back to your room."

The fog cleared immediately and she felt the tears sting her eyes. So this was how it was done. The other person told you to leave.

"Oh, umm...give me a minute to get my stuff." She stumbled out of bed in a tangle of sheets. Unable to catch herself, she landed in a heap on the floor.

"Hey, look there's one of my shoes."

Making a grab for the shoe under the bed, she stood up and quickly began seizing her other items from around the room. If she hurried, she would be able to make it to her room before she broke down.

"Marie?" It must be her imagination that made him sound concerned, but if she stopped now she would cry.

"Yeah, I think I got everything. I'll get out of your way now." This was going to be tough. Her room just next door, but it was already daylight and she didn't want to be spotted naked in the hallway.

Logan was off the bed and by her side as she moved to open the door. "Marie, what's going on here?"

She peered up at him and the tears started running down her cheeks.

"I'm just trying to leave like you asked." She rushed on, wanting to end the anguish of classifying their relationship as it apparently was. "I'm no good at the morning after thing...I've never had a one night stand."

"Is that what you thought this was all about?" he asked, pointing an accusing finger at the rumpled bed.

She didn't want to look at the bed with all its evidence of what happened between them.

"I...I..." She stared at the bundle of clothes in her arms, picking at an imaginary piece of lint. She couldn't look at him, didn't want to confirm her worst fears, that she was just another on his long list of women.

"Marie?" His hand pulled her chin up until she met his eyes. She tried to suppress the sobs that had suddenly taken hold of her. The emotions in his eyes were too intense for her to identify all of them. Worry, desire, possibly love.

She started babbling to him then about her ex-boyfriends, her plan and her feelings for him. She knew she wasn't making much sense as she incoherently rambled between sobs. When he took the clothes from her hands, walked her to the bed, and pulled her down with him to sit on his lap, she wasn't sure.

She buried her face in the crook of his neck and let him soothe her. His low husky voice forced the last of the tension from her body.

"It's ok, baby. You don't have to go anywhere. I just thought you might want to clean up and change before we went down for breakfast."

She gazed up at him in surprise. "You mean you don't want me to leave?"

"Hell no, darlin'. Weren't you paying attention last night?" His smile was tender but full of mischief.

She felt the heat rise in her cheeks as she flushed with embarrassment. He had whispered endlessly to her last night, but her brain hadn't been able to process the words at the time. "It's a little hazy...I was distracted."

A low, rumbling growl accompanied his smug smile. "I'd be happy to repeat myself."

Her blush spread as she nodded in acceptance of his offer.

He laid her back on the bed making sure that she acknowledged his every word. They left his room hours later for lunch after he secured her promise to never leave him.

~*~

This story archived at http://wolverineandrogue.com/wrfa/viewstory.php?sid=4062