Hunters by aranenumenesse
Summary: “You shouldn’t make promises you can’t keep, Logan…”
Categories: AU Characters: None
Genres: Action, Angst, Crossover, Shipper
Tags: None
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 3 Completed: Yes Word count: 15615 Read: 15500 Published: 09/11/2011 Updated: 09/11/2011
Story Notes:
This story isn't a new one. I had this archived here before as a WIP. Now it's finished and bit more polished. There's a closure of sorts, but my intention is to write a sequel since so much is left open. Also this fic contains characters from the movies Resident Evil and From Dusk Till Dawn. They're in no way my own inventions, I'm just borrowing them for a while.

1. Chapter 1 by aranenumenesse

2. Chapter 2 by aranenumenesse

3. Chapter 3 by aranenumenesse

Chapter 1 by aranenumenesse
He was running. Racing against the merciless clock. His lungs were burning. Not fast enough. He picked up his pace, nearly stumbled over, but kept going. No time to stop. No time to rest. He could hear them howling and barking. They were close. Too close for comfort. He stumbled again. This time he fell, crashing face down to a small ravine. He tried to curl as small and tight ball as possible to protect the fragile vial he was carrying in his breast pocket. He rolled to halt and rose up, shaking off bits of small twigs and dust from his sweat-slicked hair. Took in scent and grimaced. If he could already smell them, they were absolutely too close.

“Cyclops, I have some friends with me. Tried to shook them off, but they followed me home. Get ready to leave. ETA in ten minutes,” he huffed in to radio, and shut it off. Things were about to get ugly, and Scott didn’t really need to hear everything. When first nightmarish creature emerged from the bushes surrounding the ravine, he was ready.

“Hello, ugly…” He muttered crouching and extended his claws.

It looked like a Doberman that had taken few rounds with meat grinder. Bare muscles and tendons gleamed wetly. Sharp, razor-like appendages jutted out from gaping maw. Low rumble echoed from its chest. Logan cocked his eyebrow.

“Well, what the fuck are you waiting for? Next Christmas? Come to daddy, you ugly bastard!” He shouted. Beast charged with a ferocious snarl. It came flying over the edge of the ravine and landed on top of him, jaws locked firmly around his throat. He had the time to hear another snarl, and another beast sunk its jaws to his left thigh.

He got a firm grip from the beast on top of him, locking his hands around its throat, and twisted sharply. He heard a satisfactory crunching noise, and creature that once had been a dog crumbled on top of him dead. He pushed it aside and focused on the second one that was shredding his leg. It had torn off huge chunks of muscle, and was trying to gnaw through adamantium coated thighbone.

“Here, doggy, doggy…” He cooed and wriggled his fingers at it. When it turned to look he showed one of his claws to its eye, sinking it straight through the socket, scrambling the brain in the process.

He patted his pocket. Good. Vial was still intact. He glanced at his wristwatch, and switched his radio back on.

“I got held up. ETA in fifteen minutes…” He looked at his leg. It was healing, but slowly. “… Or make it twenty.” His head fell back and he tried to steady his breathing, when suddenly a howl echoed from somewhere close. Another one answered to it.

“Fuck,” he groaned and dragged himself up.

***



“Got it?” Scott asked when Logan limped to the seat next to his.

“Yeah… Get us up in the air before those mutts chew their way in here.” Logan said and tilted the seat backwards slumping on it to a boneless heap. He was shivering all over. Sweat soaked leather on him was itching. His left leg was still cold and numb. His throat felt raw, new tissues not yet completely accustomed. He felt like puking up. Every time he closed his eyes he could smell their rotting bodies, feel the cold metal when they were cutting through his flesh. Had one of them actually been eating his thigh?
“I think I’m going to throw up…” He groaned closing his eyes and trying to force down the bile that had risen to the back of his throat. Jet around him whirred and vibrated.

“Here.” He opened his eyes. Scott was offering him a brown paper bag. It was too much. His stomach settled to give way to hysterical laugh.

“We don’t have weapons, but we do have barf bags!” He was giggling and squealing. He couldn’t make it stop. Scott smacked him to the back of his head, hard enough to blur his vision for a few seconds. That helped.

“Get a grip!”

“Thanks. Scooter…” Logan groaned, wiping the tears from his cheeks.

***



“Hi. Ororo told me you were back. How did it go?”

He was sitting on Xavier’s front porch, smoking a cigar, just relaxing. He didn’t have to turn to look. He knew the owner of the voice. Knew the look she would have on her pretty face. Excitement, fear, compassion and adoration. All wrapped up to a neat little package. There had been a time when he would have given anything to see that look on anybody’s face.

“Got in, got out. That’s all there is for you to know, kid. What are you doing up this late?” He asked, feeling grouchy. No touchy feely. And he just knew what she would do next. Yep. Silent footsteps approached, and then small hands landed on his shoulders, rubbing gently. He resisted the urge to shrug them off.

“I know you’re not supposed to talk about missions. I just wanted to know if you’re okay.”

“I am okay. You can go back to sleep now.” But she didn’t go. Of course not. It wasn’t how this worked.

She sat behind him, curling over his back, pressing her face between his shoulder blades. Small hands slid over his chest, hugging him tightly.

“You got hurt. Didn’t you?” How the hell could she tell? Every fucking time?

“I might have. It doesn’t matter. I’m fine now,” he said, taking a long drag from his cigar. Hands traveled lower, until one of them ended up on his thigh, and he flinched. It was still healing, and skin was much more sensitive than it would have normally been.

“Here.” Hand trailed higher, ending to his throat. “And here.”

“How do you know?” He asked, shivering from the touch.

“Skin is much warmer. I hate it when you get hurt.” Hands were rubbing lightly, fingers drawing lazy circles. His head lolled back, ending on her shoulder. No touchy feely, but it felt so good…

“Come on. Go back to bed now,” he groaned and pulled away from her touch. It wasn’t for him. It wasn’t him who she wanted to cuddle up with. It wasn’t her who’s hands and caresses he was missing. She was trying to get over Bobby. He wasn’t even trying to get over Jean. Why should he? She was dead. He knew Scott didn’t much appreciate his feelings towards his dead wife. Logan knew he wouldn’t either if it would have been his wife, and Scott pining after her.
“But what the fuck does it matter? She’s dead.”

“Yes. She is dead.” Scott. “It has been almost a year now, Logan. Let it go already.”

“Why should I? Give me one good reason.”

“You sent one good reason back to bed just few minutes ago. Have you even thought about what you’re doing to her?” Scott asked.

“Kid? She has her own problems. She doesn’t need me messing up her life even more.”

“She doesn’t need a man in her life, for that you are right. But she needs a friend.”

“She has friends.”

“Why does she keep searching you, if that’s the case?”

***



“Didn’t we have a deal? You stay in the jet while I go in.” Logan asked from Scott who clung to him. Scott was bleeding from numerous wounds.

“I got bored…” Fearless Leader slurred.

“I don’t fucking care if you get bored! Next time I’ll see you out I fucking kill you myself!” He growled, plunking Scott to pilot’s seat and strapping him down.

“Thanks buddy… I love you, too…” Scott murmured and started to power up engines with shaky hands.

“Just get us home before you pass out, and I might let this slip…”

“You’re in awful hurry to get back… Some plans I should be aware of?” Scott asked.

“No other than to get us back home, and get you patched up before you bleed to death.”

Marie was waiting in the hangar when Blackbird landed. Logan hated to admit it, but sight of her made his heart actually flutter. She fell to step beside him when he carried Scott to med lab. She was checking him up while they walked.

“It’s Scott’s blood. I’m fine,” Logan assured Marie before she had the chance to ask about red, sticky fluid covering his hands and chest. She waited at the door when he laid Scott to examination table under Hank’s scrutinizing gaze.

“One of those fucking dogs got him,” he said to the doctor. Scott had already passed out. He had managed to bring Blackbird down and kill the engines with shaky hands before slumping on top of the control board.

“I would give anything to get one of those here for studying…” Hank muttered, inspecting the wound on Scott’s side. Logan shook his head.

“Impossible. They are modified almost like me. Their teeth are made of adamantium. They would chew their way out of any kind of cage.”

“Dead, Logan. I wasn’t talking about live subject.” Again Logan shook his head.

“No. I’m not taking that kind of risk. They have some kind of regenerative powers, not as strong as mine, but given enough time they are able to heal from any kind of injury.”

“They are real?” Marie asked, voice quivering when they walked to the elevator.

“What are real?”

“Hunters.”

“Real enough. And I’m not supposed to talk about it with you. You’re not supposed to know about them.” Elevator arrived and they stepped in. He leaned against the cool metal wall. Blood was drying to strange patterns on leather and skin. He shivered slightly. It had been so fucking close. Few inches left and there would have been nothing left from Scott to bring home. That dog, Hunter, had only barely missed, just scraping Scott’s side instead of tearing him open.

“I’m scared,” Marie confessed. He could smell it. He could smell his own fear and exhaustion, too. They had spent past month with Scott, trying desperately to find the lab that bred Hunters, to put it out of commission, but with no results. Marie inched closer to him.

“Watch it. I don’t want you to mess up your clothes…” Words died to his lips when she wrapped her hands around his waist and laid her head on to his chest. She was absolutely terrified. Logan hugged her little awkwardly. Elevator door slid open and he untangled her hands from around him.

“Come on. Let’s get you back to bed. I don’t think Professor would be pleased to see one of his students wandering around hallways past curfew.”

***


“I can’t fucking breathe…” Stench of rotting flesh assaulted his senses. He could taste it. Furious growling and wet sucking and tearing sounds filled his ears. He couldn’t breathe. Something heavy lay on top of his chest. His throat was on fire, windpipe blocked with cold metal blades. Hunter was tearing in to him and he was slowly suffocating to his own blood.

He woke up. He could still smell distinctive odor of half dead dog creature, but he was alone in his room. He sat up, rubbing his face tiredly. Four o’clock. No use to go back to sleep. He would just toss and turn and wake up grumpy few hours later. He got dressed. Might as well go and check how Scott was doing.

Scott wasn’t alone when he entered the med lab. Small lump of tangled brown hair and white cloth lay on the bed next to him. Marie. In deep sleep. Scott was awake, one hand combing her hair almost absentmindedly. He looked little shaken.

“What’s going on?” Logan asked.

“Hank told me it would take at least two weeks before I can fly again. I let Rogue absorb me. She’s the new pilot.” Logan frowned.

“So you’re sending her in to the fire now? What next? Maybe we should train Kitty too. Or Pjotr? He would be almost useful…” He started.

“You know I wouldn’t do this if there was another way.” Scott interjected him.

“Tell it to the kid when Hunter is gnawing its way through her…”
Scott knew that Logan resisted out of principle. Even he knew how serious this situation was.

“We’ll see if she caught my memories after she wakes up.”

***



“If you have any kind of urges to set your foot outside of this fucking jet, tell it to me now. I’ll cut you up here and now. Might as well save the trouble of luring Hunters after you,” Logan said. Marie could see from his eyes that he was dead serious. They were sitting in the Blackbird, and Logan was strapping on his equipment. Flight and landing to the location Xavier had found had gone smoothly. Logan had to admit that she got the knack of handling the futuristic jet.

“I think I’ll just stay here,” Marie said, wringing her hands together nervously.

“Good. You do that. We can’t afford to lose another pilot,” Logan said, handing her the receiver of his radio.

“I’ll check in every ten minutes. This shouldn’t take long. An hour tops.” He squeezed her shoulder smiling reassuringly, then turned and walked out.

First half an hour was quite uneventful. Receiver crackled thrice, and Logan’s hushed voice affirmed that he was still out there, alive and in one piece. After his last transmission it all went to hell.

“Logan!” Marie’s voice. They had agreed she wouldn’t transmit. He clicked his receiver.

“What?” He was too close to the compound. There were at least four Hunters circling the perimeter, drooling and squabbling with each other.

“Five hunters approaching the Blackbird. What do I do?” Well, what do you do?

“Get the fuck out of there before they get in to the jet! Move to the next location!” Shit. That meant extra half hour hike for him. “Better get going…” He grumbled to himself. This was most likely the kennel that spewed out those spawns of hell. He would have to come back, to take a little closer look later, but this was enough now.

Again receiver crackled. “It’s impossible to land. There are even more those dogs waiting already!” He could hear slight panic in Marie’s voice.

“Come back to the original location. I’ll wait there.”

“But Logan, what about those…”

“I’ll be there in fifteen minutes,” he said and turned off the receiver. Five beasts he could take down. Probably.

***



Blackbird was hovering over him. Three dogs lay chopped to pieces, but two that were still left seemed to be a bit smarter than their pack mates. They stayed out of his reach, skirting past him with dazzling speed, tearing bleeding furrows to his legs. They were aiming for his Achilles tendons, trying to lame him. He could hear howling from the distance. Rest of the pack, closing in on him rapidly. He had to end this dance now, before they arrived.

“Fuck… This is going to hurt…” He grit his teeth. When one Hunter charged towards him, again aiming for his legs, he fell on his knees. His claws sunk in to the beast. Simultaneously he felt other one tearing in to his left shoulder from behind, severing muscle and tendons. His left hand fell limp, claws sliding back in. Hunter had cut through nerves, and it felt like it had no intentions to let him go. It bit deeper. He could feel blades scraping against metal. Dog shook its head, tearing off huge chunk of muscle. That gave him a chance to roll away from it. When he rose back to his knees, it was all over him, paws propped to his shoulders, metal teeth gnashing, slicing open his face and neck. He managed to swipe open its stomach and it fell.

“Bring it down. Fast. We are going to have company soon…” Logan’s voice was weak, and when the jet landed he crawled in on all fours.

“Close the hatch and get us in the air!” Hunters were approaching. Logan could feel Blackbird shuddering, then abrupt lurch and they were safe. He closed his eyes and tried to calm down.

“Are you alright?” He could hear her asking. Her voice sounded distant.

“No… Not yet.” His heart was hammering and he was trembling all over. Cold. He was so fucking cold. He crawled to the nearest seat, tilted it backwards and laid on it. Something warm landed on top of him and he cracked his eyes open. Blanket. Marie was wrapping a blanket around him.

“It’s on autopilot,” she explained when his questioning gaze turned towards cockpit. He nodded and closed his eyes again.

“Is it always like this?” She was sitting next to him, combing his tangled hair away from his forehead.

“Pretty much…” He mumbled. Feel of her fingers made him feel dizzy.

“Why? Why is it you always? Why Scott or Ororo never goes out anymore?” Logan groaned and opened his eyes.

“You think either of them would still be here, talking with you, if it had been Scott or Ororo? I already lost Jean. I don’t want to loose anybody else. I don’t do this for fun. Getting shot, bitten and hit fucking hurts. But I can take it. I heal,” Logan said, and reached one, unsteady hand to her face, tapping lightly ruby red glasses she wore. “How long until Scott’s mutation fades?” Marie shrugged her shoulders.

“Might take a while. I still don’t know everything I need to know about this jet. I have to touch him again when we get back.”

“Can’t you read? I’m sure Xavier has some sort of manuals hidden somewhere…”

“There’s no time to memorize those things. Scott told me we are coming back here early tomorrow morning.”


***


“I don’t like it. She’s fucking too young for this shit,” Logan growled. Scott was pale, and his breathing was ragged, unsteady. Marie had left them just couple minutes ago, after absorbing Scott.

“Do you think… That I’m… Enjoying…”

“Fuck you, boy scout. I know this is eating you alive. But that’s not the point. She’s a fucking kid. We are not much better than those we fight against, using her this way.”

“Would you prefer… Outside help? And who… Would come?”

“I’m starting to hate you, Scott.”

“Well, you’re going to love me after this… You have to let her absorb you… All of you. Tomorrow she’s coming to the field with you.”

“Right. Tell me another one…”

“I’m serious, Logan. We need detailed map from that place. You can’t chart the whole area on your own. She can help.” Logan stood up, face twisting to an angry scowl.

“You really are not much better than those fuckers running the labs…”

“She’s coming. With or without your mutation.”

***



She was sitting on her bed, sorting through information Scott had poured in to her mind, when Logan walked in with a disgusted look on his face.

“Got a room for one extra personality?” He asked, crouching beside her bed.

“What do you mean?”

“New orders from our fearless leader. You’re coming with me tomorrow. You’ll need my mutation.”

“Oh… Of course, but…” Logan didn’t let her finish. He nodded and stood up.

“I’ll come back later. I have some things to take care of first.”

***



“Take it all out.”

“Logan, do you realize what you are asking me to do?” Professor Xavier asked.

“Scott told me to let Rogue absorb me. The way she feels about me, she doesn’t need my memories and feelings over Jean floating around in her mind. Take them all out.”

“That action is irreversible. Are you absolutely sure that is what you want? I could just block them temporarily…”

“Take them out. Now.”

Short stab of pain, something hot burning through his mind, erasing cherished images and carefully nurtured feelings towards red haired temptress, that hadn’t been his, and yet in so many ways had belonged to him alone. Last one to go was memory of her, standing in front of him, his lips grazing slowly hers. That one burned with brightest flare, leaving big, empty feeling after it was gone.

“I didn’t take everything. It would be awkward if you forgot her completely. I just took out everything that Rogue would find uncomfortable,” Xavier explained when Logan noted he still remembered Jean.

“Fine. And block out rest of the stuff in my mind. She doesn’t need that shit taking up too much space. Most of it is worthless at her age anyway…” Xavier smiled and shook his head.

“What? You have seen my mind. It’s not a suitable place for a kid…”

“That’s all you let yourself see. A kid. A child. Somebody to shelter and take care of.”

“What the fuck is wrong with you people? She’s still a kid! Not something to use for your own purposes! Scott wants her to become some sort of weapon; you apparently have some other agenda!”

***



“Kid? You still awake?” Logan was behind her door. She had been dozing off. What ever it was he had to take care of, he sure had taken his precious time doing it.

“I’m awake. Come in.” No need to shout. He could most likely hear her breathing through that door. Door opened and Logan walked in, closing it behind him. She sat up and stretched, yawning and moaning. “I almost fell asleep already…”

“Sorry. It took little longer than I expected. Do you mind if I spend the night in here?”

“Uh… No?” Logan smirked for her puzzled look.

“We can of course do this in my room. I don’t think you can drag my corpse from here to my bed.” Corpse. Word made her flinch. “You have to take it all. Can’t have it wearing off at the wrong moment,” Logan said, lying next to her, pulling her against him.

“Wait…” She tried to protest, then Logan’s hand tangled to her hair and he pressed his cheek against hers.

It was all wrong. With Scott it had been different. Short and controlled burst of information, then retreat. With Logan there was no end to it. He kept pouring in to her. Continuous flow of power and life. And there was something wrong and distorted in that flow. It was filled with gaping holes, some still bleeding, jagged tears, and some neat, cauterized holes. No information or memories, just feeling of loss and confusion. What had he done?


***



His heart kicked in slowly. He opened his eyes. Breathed in deeply. Marie. He was in her room. In her bed. She took him in. Her hands were clutching his bicep almost desperately, and he turned to look at her. She looked absolutely horrified.

“What? What’s wrong?”

“What did you do?” Marie gasped. Pained look flickered briefly over her features, silent tears rolling down her cheeks, ending to her temples and disappearing behind her ears.

“I asked Xavier to make some arrangements. You don’t need my shit messing up your pretty head.” Logan said and tried to sit up, but Marie pulled him back down.

“Professor could have blocked your memories. What was so horrible that he took it away from you? And why did you let him do it?” Her face was hovering above his, her eyes searching for an answer. Logan swallowed and tore their connection, turning to look at the wall instead.

“It was nothing. Nothing important.” He had a feeling it wasn’t true, but apparently it had been something horrible enough.

“What’s the time?” Logan asked. How long until they had to climb to Blackbird? How long until he had to take this kid next to him in to battle?

“It’s two. We can sleep some more. We don’t have to leave until six,” Marie said, snuggling to his side and placing her head on his chest. Again he tried to get up. Again she pulled him back down, curling over him even tighter. “Stay.” Her hand rose to his forehead, smoothing back few tangled strands of hair. He could feel slight tremble going through her body.

“Nervous?” He asked.

“Just a little.” Her voice sounded tight and strangled. He turned to his side, facing her.

“You don’t have to do it. You can stay in the jet. It takes a little longer, but I can get the job done alone.”

“No. It’s okay. I’ll do it. I’m just a little worried. What if you get hurt again?”

“Come on. Turn over,” Logan asked and pulled Marie back on his chest, letting her lay her head on his arm. “I will be alright. So will you. I’ll take care of us.”

***



“Duck!” His claws slid in a gracious arc over her head, severing jaws from Hunter that had tried to attack Marie. She was taking pictures and scribbling down hasty notes, crouching at his feet.

“We have to go! Now!” He could hear guards approaching. If they didn’t leave now, they would be in that compound, caged like a couple of lab rats in less than ten minutes. He could see first armed goons running towards them. From this distance he could already tell they were carrying dart guns.

“Move your pretty little ass before it gets chewed off!” He tried to grab Marie’s arm, but missed when she fell flat on the ground. Small dart protruded from her shoulder. He scooped her up and bolted to direction from which they had broken in through electric fence. He could feel couple darts lodging to his back, but he kept running. Marie would wake up before they reached the jet. She had to. He couldn’t fly.

“Wake the fuck up!” Somebody was slapping her and shouting at her. Hard hands grasping her shoulders. Blurred image in front of her face.

“Wake up. Take us home.” Logan. He was holding her up and shaking her. Why was he shouting? What was going on?

“Kid. If you don’t wake up and pull this bird to the sky, I will chop off your head.” Cold claws pressing against her throat cleared her head considerably, and she was able to sit down, close the hatch and power up the Blackbird. Small lurch and they were up. Not a second too soon. They could see from the radar screen ten green spots below them. Guards from the compound. Logan let out a shaky breath and turned his back to her.

“Yank those darts out.” There were five of them. Big, fat, poisonous bees, three of them lodged to a tight group just below his cortex, two jutting out from his left shoulder blade.

“That’s better…” Logan slouched to co-pilot’s seat, rolling his neck, popping joints. Marie had switched the autopilot on, and was dozing off, head lolling from shoulder to shoulder uncontrollably. Half an hour and they would be home. Half an hour and he could go and gut Scott.

“Sending fucking kids to the war…” Marie could hear Logan grumbling. His hands buckled the seatbelt she had forgotten. Warm blanket landed on top of her.

“… And those fucking sunglasses… Not anymore. I’ll take you away from there before…” His continuous litany of curses and promises lulled her to sleep.

When Marie woke up the jet was flying in wide circle above the mansion and Logan was shaking her gently.

“Kid? Wake up. You have to land. This heap of junk can’t do it on its own.” It was an effort, but finally she remembered the correct procedures. Landing was wobbly, but Logan didn’t launch his patented snort. Instead he patted her to shoulder, and flashed her tight-lipped smile.

“You did good, kid. Get up and go to sleep. I’ll come to check up on you later.”

***


“How did it go?” Scott asked when Logan strode to the med lab. Glare the other man sent to him was absolutely murderous.

“It didn’t stick. My mutation. It wore off before we even landed. It took only one tranq dart and the kid went down. I still can’t comprehend how she managed to stay awake long enough to fly us back to home. Here,” Logan nearly growled and threw scattered stack of hastily scribbled notes and a small camera to Scott’s bed and turned to leave.

“Hey! What about your briefing?”

“It’ll have to wait until Rogue is better.”

***



She slept nearly ten hours straight. When she woke up she discovered Logan, sleeping on the floor, his back propped on to the side of her bed. As soon as Marie moved he woke up, too.

“How do you feel?” He asked.

“Like shit. I think I’m going to be sick…” She made it to the bathroom just in time. There was not much for her stomach to force out; she had last eaten nearly twenty hours ago. Nevertheless experience left bad taste in her mouth, and nasty cramp to her thighs and abdomen. She crawled back to bed.

“Well, now we know you can’t absorb mutations permanently. This means you’re off the hook. No more combat for you,” Logan said.

“Good…” She groaned, trying to tug the blanket tighter around her. Logan took it from her numb fingers and tucked it around her.

“And no more flying for you. Next time I need a pilot, Scott will have to do it. You did well. Real good. But I can’t keep worrying whether you’re going to make it through in one piece.”

“But what about… Scott can’t fly. Not yet anyway.” Marie’s voice was still trembling, but he could see tiny sparkle of hope tingling in her eyes.

“That’s Scott’s problem. You’re not going back to field.” That tiny sparkle grew and lit a relieved smile on her face.

“I was so scared… Thank you, Logan!” She grasped his hand and squeezed it gently. Small smile tugged the corner of Logan’s mouth.

“Don’t mention it.”

***



Logan lay on his bed, surfing through countless channels on TV when his phone rang.

“What’s this shit about Rogue not flying anymore?” Scott. Angry as hell.

“She’s not coming to missions. And that is something we are not going to discuss. She’s fucking too young for that shit. She was scared out of her wits last night already.”

“She made it through. You yourself said she did well. So what’s the problem?”

“Problem? She’s not a weapon for you to use. She’s just a scared little kid. She shouldn’t have to worry if she’ll be alive at the end of the day. I promised her that she wouldn’t have to do it anymore.”

“You shouldn’t make promises you can’t keep, Logan…” Line went dead. Scott had cut the connection.

“Can’t keep? We’ll see about that…”
Chapter 2 by aranenumenesse
“What…?” Her mind was still hazy.

“Hush. We’re leaving.” Low whisper. Logan was carrying her. She squinted one eye open. Darkened hallway. He was heading to the elevator. “I’m taking you out of here. Somewhere safe. We have to get past the med lab. Don’t make a peep until I say so.” Don’t make a peep? That suited her just fine. She relaxed again and let sleep take over.

It took all his skill to get to garage unnoticed, carrying unconscious girl and knapsack that was stuffed to the brim, but he made it. Only one question remained. Which one of the vehicles was safe? He knew all Xavier’s cars and bikes were rigged with a locator. That left his own bike. It would be hard to drive while Marie slept, but he didn’t have a choice. It took a little jostling, but finally he managed to arrange her securely enough. Small, fragile body curled close to him, inside of his zipped up jacket. Her head rested too close to the bare skin of his neck, but that couldn’t be helped now.

“Say goodbye, kid. Scott can find himself other pawns to his little game.”

***



Marie woke up, still bit groggy, but feeling much better already. Sun was rising. She had drifted between sleep and wakefulness during the night. Every time she had opened her eyes Logan had been driving. She had been able to see only the line of his jaw, and hear the wind and sound of the engine. She was resting on Logan’s chest. He had parked the bike to a small clearing in a forest, and he was sleeping on it, leaning his back to a tree. When she moved he woke up.

“Where are we? What is going on?” She had some hazy memories of earlier events, but they really were just incoherent bits and pieces. Nothing in there that made sense.

“Scott was going to put you back on duty. I took off. I know a place where he won’t find you,” Logan said, opening his jacket and letting her slide down from the bike. “I packed you some clothes. Here,” he said, giving her his knapsack. She noticed that she was clad quite lightly. She smoothed the fabric of her nightgown confused. She was quite sure she had taken it off at some point, when it got too hot under all the blankets which she had dragged on to her bed.

“Don’t worry. I didn’t look when I put it on you. But I didn’t have the time to wake you up and explain what was happening,” Logan assured her. She nodded. No need to worry. She knew Logan well enough to know that he was telling the truth.

“I tried to find something comfortable to wear for you. Didn’t have so much time, but we can buy you all the missing stuff…” all her favorite shirts and pants, neatly folded. Some underwear. Toiletries. And she just knew that Bobby or any other boy wouldn’t have touched to a small cardboard package of tampons with a ten feet pole.

“I got everything I need. Thanks. Oh, not everything…” She suddenly noticed, eyeing their surroundings hesitantly. Logan’s head snapped up from the map he had been reading.

“What’s missing?” He asked.

“I’m kind of hungry. I suppose there’s not a place that serves breakfast anywhere near?” She asked, pulling on worn and soft jeans. Logan chuckled.

“Actually there is. Get dressed. Takes about ten minutes to drive there,” he said. “Oh, and before I forget… Here. Keep this with you all the time. Just in case something happens,” Logan added as an afterthought and handed her a very small gadget that reminded distantly a cell phone.

“What is this?” Marie asked.

“A beacon. X-team can’t trace it, but I can. A gift from a friend of mine. Keep it close to your skin. It needs body heat to stay active.”

“Okay.” She slid it in to her bra.

“Are we good to go?” Logan asked. Marie shrugged on her jacket, climbed behind him and slid her hands around his chest.

“Aye, aye, captain!”

“… Fucking Depp. Last time I rent a pirate movie…” Engine roared to life, but she still managed to catch Logan’s quite amused voice muttering.


***



“Do we have a plan?” Marie asked. They were sitting in a cozy booth, waiting for their breakfast.

“There’s a small town near Mexico border. El Rey. A friend of mine lives there, and I called to him earlier. He’s letting us stay there for a while. We’ll think about what to do after we get there. I don’t think Scott’s going to just forget us.”

“Does this friend of yours have a name?” It was hard for her to imagine Logan describing someone as a friend. He didn’t have friends. Only acquaintances.

“Seth. Met him couple of years ago. He’s an okay guy.” That really piqued Marie’s curiosity. Coming from Logan ‘okay guy’ was quite a compliment.

“What does he do?” She asked.

“Retired. Got in to some nasty shit few years ago. His brother got killed, and he took it kind of hard. I have been visiting him every now and then, just to check up that he’s okay…” Waitress arrived with their plates, and for a moment they were both too occupied to continue their conversation. Eggs, bacon and toast disappeared fast.

“Are you going to eat that?” Marie asked, pointing at the last piece of toast on his plate. Logan shook his head and pushed it to her plate.

“So, about Seth…” She started. Logan’s snort stopped her.

“What’s this? Twenty questions?”

“I’m just curious. Sue me. Up until now I was under the impression you don’t have friends.” Logan smiled and sipped his coffee.

“Don’t have too many, that’s all.”

“And here I thought I had discovered something new about you. Same old Logan…”

“Hey! Old?”

“Maybe I should start calling you Uncle Logan.”

“What ever, kid.”

“Uncle.

“Brat.”

“Grandpa.”

“You’re walking to Mexico if you don’t shut your trap.”

***



“Fuck…” Logan’s angry bark alerted her just before he stopped the bike abruptly, nearly tripping them over in process. She had to cling tighter on him to avoid falling off.

“What?” Logan didn’t cut the engine. There they sat, in the middle of deserted highway, and she could see surprise and a hint of hesitation creeping over his face when Logan tilted his head.

“Shit. We are going to have company soon.”

“Who?” Images of enraged Scott swooping in with the Blackbird made her shiver.

“Four of them. Full pack. I thought this area would be still clear…” His head was whirling around, eyes searching for something almost frantically. A pack?

“Hunters?” Marie asked. Distant howl answered to her question.

“Yeah. At least three, maybe four.” Logan’s skin prickled. He would get through them. It wouldn’t be easy, but he would get through. Marie was another matter.

“I can’t fight them and keep you safe…”

***



“Sorry, kid. You’re going to learn to ride a bike, now,” Logan had said. He had grasped her ponytail, one hand wrapping around her waist. His lips had touched her forehead just briefly, but it had been enough. Enough to give her detailed knowledge about how to steer monster purring between her thighs. Enough to transfer a command that now drove her away from him. Away from Hunters. As fast as possible.

She wanted to turn back. To return and help Logan, but it was impossible. Every time she tried to slow down and turn the bike his voice inside of her lashed out, spewing threats and curses. She had left him behind nearly fifteen minutes ago. Surely it would be safe to return already? Again she tried to turn. This time he didn’t resist. He was almost too silent.

***


“Come on…” They were getting closer. He grimaced and fling off droplets of blood from his claws. There was just enough of his mutation left to keep him from keeling over when he unsheathed his claws. He could only hope it would be enough to keep him up and running longer than Hunters. He wasn’t going to let them past him. And why would they even try? He was a living, breathing mutant. They were trained to attack every person who had active gene X in their cellular structure. Kid had probably gotten far enough to loose them from her tracks.

First dog came in low. He managed to avoid its jaws, and got a good swipe in, tearing open its side. Other three were more careful. They stayed out of his reach, circling him and attacking from behind. Soon his jeans were shredded from below knees, and there were deep, jagged tears on his side. They were slowly healing, but blood loss made him dizzy.

Logan was facing the last of the beasts that had attacked when Marie returned. It didn’t look good. Deep gouges from his claws decorated the Hunter, but Logan was bleeding too. When he had touched her, he had given up considerable amount of his powers. She didn’t have time to think through her decision.

“Logan! Get down!” She didn’t know if he had heard her scream, or did his knees just buckle, but he fell down just in time to avoid the bike she had sent charging towards him. Hunter wasn’t so lucky. It actually tried to attack the bike. Collision sent both spiraling to the side of the road.

“I’m pretty sure I didn’t ask you to come back and wreck my wheels…” Logan said surveying the smoking pile of chrome and rotting flesh.

“Fuck you! Next time I’ll just let them kill you!” She was still trembling, eyes wide and skin pale. He crouched next to her and leaned his head to her side. Bleeding had already stopped, but he still felt little woozy and tired.

“If that means you will be safe, you will do it. I didn’t take you away from the mansion just to get you maimed out here.”

***



They managed to get a ride from overly friendly, grandfatherly trucker.

“Must have been a big coyote. I don’t think big fellow like you drives a small bike…” Gary said, eyeing Logan little warily, but flashed white-teethed smile to Marie.

“Yeah. It was a big one. Both bike and the coyote. How far are you heading?” Logan asked, trying to change the subject.

“Not much further tonight. There’s a rest stop just an hour drive from here. Friend of mine told me about it. Bar for truckers and bikers. Titty Twister. Was that were you two were heading?” Gary asked, taking another look from Marie.

“No. We were just driving. Decided to get on the road with my favorite uncle before school starts,” Marie said smiling and patted Logan’s thigh. He had to suppress the growl that threatened to escape, but her words relaxed Gary immediately.

“You’re her uncle? It’s very decent of you to show her little world before she goes back to studying. Did it with my nephew few years back. Now there is a good kid, I tell you…” Next half an hour Logan sat clenching his knees with nearly numb fingers, listening silently while Gary droned on about his nephew and other gazillion relatives of his. Marie was in her element, nodding and raining questions.

“And here we are…” Look on Gary’s face went from smile to below zero under a second when his truck rolled to stop in front of the bar. Bar might have been a wrong word to describe Titty Twister. What ever it was, it was huge. Practically a mountain. Large courtyard in front of it was buzzing and streaming bikers and truckers. Place was lit with burning oil barrels. Noise level was unbelievable. Drunkards cajoling, bikes and trucks roaring, loud music blaring from the inside of the bar.

“Maybe we should just keep going. I’m sure there are much nicer places…” Gary started. Logan opened the door, hopped to the ground and helped Marie down.

“We’ll stay here. My friend lives nearby. I’m sure there’s a payphone inside that I can use to call to him.” He wasn’t going to listen Gary’s ramblings any more than it was absolutely necessary. Sure, place looked weird and gave him the chills. Every nerve ending was sending warnings, but… He knew next stop would be hours away, and if he had to spend a minute more with Gary, he would gut the man. Gary looked at them, then the front doors of the Titty Twister.

“Are you sure? That place looks…”

“I’m sure. Don’t worry about us. I have seen much worse places. And within an hour my friend will come and pick us up,” Logan assured, slammed the door and started walking towards the majestic front doors, Marie in tow.

Closer they got, the worse the idea of going in started to feel. There was something seriously wrong behind those huge doors. But they didn’t have much of a choice. Logan had to call to Seth. If he remembered the map correctly, it would take the man few hours to pick them up from here.

“Stay close,” he whispered to Marie. He didn’t have to repeat it. She was already practically glued to his side. It would have taken a crowbar to yank her loose.

”Pussy, pussy, pussy! All pussy must go. At the Titty Twister we're slashing pussy in half! This is a pussy blow out! Make us an offer on our vast selection of pussy! We got white pussy, black pussy, Spanish pussy, yellow pussy, hot pussy, cold pussy, wet pussy, tight pussy, big pussy, bloody pussy, fat pussy, hairy pussy, smelly pussy, velvet pussy, silk pussy, Naugahyde pussy, snappin' pussy, horse pussy, dog pussy, mule pussy, fake pussy! If we don't have it, you don't want it!” Bouncer was spewing continuous litany of obscenities when they approached. “And what do we have here?” Short, stubby man said leering, leaning closer to Marie and inhaling deeply. Logan growled and pushed his fist against the soft underside of his jaw. Man backed off. “Overprotected pussy!” Got added to the MC’s vocabulary when they entered.

Though the noise had been nearly unbearable outside, inside it was tolerable. Marie noticed that she actually liked the music. Interior decoration left room for improvement. Bare stone walls, just small blackened chandeliers added on them. Rows after rows of round tables, and a counter that looked long enough to arrange a horse race on top of it. Tough looking bikers vacated nearly every table. One or two naked woman was dancing on top of each table, skirting past empty and half empty glasses and bottles.

“Come on. There has to be a phone somewhere,” Logan said, nudging Marie gently when she found out that her feet had temporarily stopped working.

“She’s under-aged,” bartender, big and burly looking Mexican said pointing at Marie and looking at Logan when they sat in front of the counter.

“She’s not under-aged. She’s twenty-one. Thank you very much!” Marie snapped. Bartender grunted and turned his gaze to Logan.

“What will it be?” He asked with a raspy voice.

“Working phone. Need to call a friend of mine.”

“We have a payphone, but it’s for customers only.” Logan’s brows knitted together in annoyance, but he dug up his wallet and threw couple of bills to the counter.

“Bottle of tequila.” Might as well take a couple of drinks while waiting for Seth. Bartender brought him a bottle and one glass with a saltshaker.

“Hey!” Now it was Marie’s turn to be annoyed. Bartender raised a questioning brow to Logan. Logan nodded. Another glass appeared next to his.

“And that phone?” Logan asked. Bartender flashed his brightest, polite smile and pointed across the huge hall behind them.

“It’s back there.”

“Bring the bottle and glasses,” Logan said to Marie. She huffed and puffed, but realized pretty soon why he had asked her to carry their purchases. To get to the phone they had to surf through the sea of horny customers. Without Logan and his fast reflexes she wouldn’t have made it past the first table. Hand latched to her arm, and Logan was there, holding the hand’s owner from the throat, face only inches from his.

“Fuck off. This one’s mine…” Marie heard his low growl. When it became apparent that she was not going to get through on her own, Logan scooped her up to his arms and carried her through the bar, plunking her to an empty table next to the phone.

“… Fucking unbelievable… Still a kid…” She heard Logan muttering, in a much different tone than what he had used just a minute earlier while fending off overly eager bikers, while punching in numbers, receiver dangling between his ear and shoulder. His vacant hand got suddenly busy, opening the tequila bottle from which he took a long pull before giving it to her.

“Don’t pass out…” He warned.

“Relax, Uncle Logan. I’ll be a good girl!” Marie smirked, pouring herself a shot. Logan snatched the bottle from her.

“Drop the ‘uncle’ and you might get some more… Hey! Seth!” He turned his back and held the bottle high above his head, easily fending off Marie’s grasping hands. “Yeah. It’s me. Listen, could you come and pick me up? From where? Should be just couple hour’s ride… Yeah, I lost my bike and Christ!… Watch it, kid!” Last words were directed to Marie. She had been bouncing next to him, trying to reach the bottle, and she had accidentally elbowed him. Hit had opened a half healed wound on his side. “Yeah… I’m still here… Consider that a miracle…” She heard him gasp to the receiver. “Wait, you’re breaking up… I can’t hear you! This place? It’s called Titty Twister!… Shit!” Logan collapsed to a chair next to hers.

“Line went dead. But I’m pretty sure he heard the name of this place. If he hasn’t shown up in four hours, we have to find another ride.” He grimaced and rubbed his side. Small red patch colored his jacket now.

***



An hour and a bottle of tequila later Marie was completely wasted, and Logan started to turn from angry to furious.

“Kid… Stop that.”

“Aww… You’re no fun…” Marie moaned and pouted when Logan peeled her hands from his thigh. It didn’t take long from her to curl those same hands around his neck and to start massaging coiled muscles that she found from there. Instead of loosening Logan seemed to get tenser after every passing minute she spent in that task. She could more feel than hear a low growl, and then she was sitting on a chair, Logan towering over her.
“I said stop it. Which part of ‘stop it’ isn’t in your vocabulary?” He ground out through gritted teeth, hands grasping hand rests of her chair so hard she feared that they would splinter.

“Okay. Okay…” She nodded. Logan let go of the chair and stretched his back.

“I’ll just go and find somebody who actually wants my company…” She said, trying to sneak past him.

“No, you’re not. Sit.” Logan grasped the back of her jacket and lifted her over the table to a chair in the corner.

“Where the fuck was my brain when I let you drink?” Logan huffed, burying his face to his hands when Marie slowly slid to the floor, suggestive smile on her lips. He just knew where she was heading. He could hear her shuffling under the table on her hands and knees. Then those hands appeared to his lap, first rubbing his thighs, then moving little higher and giving his crotch a gentle squeeze. His hips jerked involuntarily from the touch. He grabbed Marie’s hands and pulled her away from her hiding place when fingers started to work on his fly, trying to get the buttons open.

“Stop it or I’ll spank you!” Words left his mouth before he had the time to think them over properly. Grin on Marie’s face spread even wider.

“Is that a promise?” She asked, batting her lashes in a manner that probably was supposed to convey innocence.

“Look. Only couple hours more and Seth will be here. Behave, and I might spank you later.” And he really wasn’t going to think the kid on his lap naked, perky little ass ready for spanking. No. Not even when she started rubbing that ass against his slowly waking erection. He wasn’t going to think her like that, because she was just a kid. A kid who he had promised to take care and protect.

“Logan?”

“What?” If she was going to start the immature seductress –act again, he would play along and see how far she was ready to take it. He was guessing not too far.

“I need to pee. Real bad. You wouldn’t happen to know where the little girl’s room is?” Marie asked, squirming some more on his lap. He hissed and dug his fingers to her hips to keep her still. That squirming and rubbing started to feel little too nice.

“I don’t think they even have a little girl’s room, but men’s room is over there. Come on,” he said, pushing her to the right direction, keeping his palm on her lower back. He narrowly managed to avoid flailing and grasping hands of a naked dancer that was swaying her hips on a table next to theirs.

“Christ! Like one she-devil isn’t enough…” He muttered when dancer leaned to his direction and licked slowly her lips. He turned his gaze back to Marie. His little Marie. So beautiful and fragile. Petite. But a real looker. All the right curves on the right places. Small and firm butt. He just knew it would fit perfectly together with his palms. It would fit perfectly, like every part of her would fit perfectly with any given part of his.

“Fuck…” He groaned and followed her to the men’s room. Not the time or the place to start drooling at her heels. They had to shake off Scott and Hunters from their tail, find a place to live, and she would have to grow up. She would have to grow up a lot. She was a kid after all. What kind of a pervert lusted after kids? And what on earth was taking her so long in there? He knocked to the wall of the stall that she had chosen.

“Kid? Are you alright in there?” He asked.

“Just fine! Give me a sec; I’ll be out soon…” At least she sounded nearly sober. Had to be the long walk from their table to here. Door opened. He nearly choked to his tongue.

“Christ! What’s the matter with you?” Logan huffed. Marie sighed annoyed. She had only tried to dress more appropriately, but judging from Logan’s behavior he wasn’t approving. He had pushed her back to the stall, and was now standing in there with her, trying to get the shirt back on her.

“It’s not like my bra was ugly…”

“For starters you didn’t even have a bra on! Come on! Where did you put it?” He wasn’t going to be able to concentrate if her breasts were jiggling and bouncing every time she moved. She stuck her tongue out.

“Not going to tell you! And let me be! I want to be naked like everybody else!” She whined.

“Fine. We can wait Seth here, and you can be as naked as you like,” Logan said, leaning his back on the door and crossing his arms over his chest. Bad move. Marie started to strip off her jeans, and soon she stood in front of him, clad only to skimpy looking lace panties. All that bare creamy skin, soft curves and slender waist, just begging him to lick and nuzzle every inch. All that lethal skin.

“What are you trying to do? Finish what those mutts started? I might be many things, but I’m not suicidal, Marie…” He whispered with dry lips. “If you want me to touch you, put your clothes on.”

***



Marie was practically growling. After she had gotten dressed, all ready for a nice groping session, Logan had simply picked her up and carried her back to their table.

“You’re mean!”

“And you’re drunk. No more booze for you tonight.”

***



“Fuck this. I need more to drink…” Logan groaned. “You don’t,” he added hastily when he noticed how Marie’s face lit up. It was her turn to groan. But he could smell that she didn’t really mean it. She had had enough, and she knew it. Judging from the way she stumbled and clung to his arm when they left the table she was either about to pass out right now, or couple minutes later. He brushed her cheek with his bare finger lightly. Small jolt, like electricity coursed through both of them, and fog cleared from her eyes.

“What did you do that for?” Marie hissed, rubbing her cheek. Sober. Finally.

“I need you to stay awake. You can’t fall asleep on me. There’s something awfully wrong with this place…” He murmured in to her ear.

They made it to the counter, when one of the dancers glued herself to Logan’s side, grinding her body against him suggestively.

“Hey! Hands off! This one’s taken!” Marie shouted, trying to untangle hand that had wrapped around Logan’s waist. Dancer hissed, then suddenly tensed and leaned closer to Logan, inhaling deeply. Logan tried to struggle free from her grip, but the woman was surprisingly strong. She crouched, and for a second it looked like she was planning to give him a blowjob. Instead of that something happened to her face. It looked like it was melting. Huge sharp fangs were pushing their way out from her mouth; blonde hair was pulling in, skin turning leathery and blotched, and nose caving in. Hungry, feral snarl, and she sunk her fangs to his side.

Everywhere around them dancers were turning, morphing to an unspeakable monsters. Logan tried to shake off the one latched to his side. Marie was kicking it. It was drinking his blood. He could feel the pull in his veins. Too fast, even with his mutation. His knees started to give up.

“I fucking told you this one was taken already!” He heard Marie scream, then suddenly dancer sprung away from him. Pool cue was protruding from her chest. Marie had shoved it in through her back. Woman screamed and started to fall apart, quite literally. Skin was peeling off, muscles underneath turned black, powdery substance.

“What the fuck?” He felt dizzy and for a moment he was sure that he would fall down. Then she was there. Marie. Screaming and shouting, hiding behind his back when more of those creatures approached. He crouched a bit to get back his balance and unsheathed his claws. She-Devils let out surprised hisses and growls, but sight of six, razor sharp metal blades didn’t stop them. There were four of them. They weren’t even trying to get to Marie. They didn’t even seem to notice her.

“We have to get out of here!” Logan shouted over the noise. Whole bar had turned to a slaughterhouse.

***



Everything seemed to happen in slow motion when huge front doors burst in, and mat black lean looking car sped in, crashing against demonic dancers and sweeping them out of their way. Trunk of the car popped open.

“Come on!” Logan grasped Marie’s hand. Quick dash, and they dove in to the trunk. Marie ended to the bottom, Logan on top of her. He closed the hood, and she could feel and hear how car sped up. Short feeling of weightlessness when it nearly flew down the stairs, crunch of gravel and Logan’s heavy body forcing air out of her lungs momentarily, making her pass out.

***


“…and that is exactly why I told you to get the fuck off from there!” Voice brought Marie up from her stupor. Car wasn’t moving anymore. She was still in the trunk, but somebody had popped it open and she could see the last stars before sunrise twinkling faintly on the sky above. She sat up slowly. Logan was standing at the side of the car, stripped bare from waist up. A man, probably Seth, was standing beside him and wrapping a thick swath of gauze over still bleeding wound on Logan’s side.

“You told me? All I heard was your promise to pick us up ASAP and then the fucking line went dead!” Logan growled, then flinched.

“Stop squirming. This’ll go all crooked and you’ll bleed to death if you don’t stay still.”

“Bleed to death? That’s kind of hard to do when…”

“Shut up, Wolverine. You might be all tough and mighty and hard-ass healer, but those were vampires. That wound won’t heal, not anytime soon. It’ll keep bleeding as long as you’re near those leather-winged fuckers. It’ll start bleeding again if you ever happen to stumble upon vampire. Unless you want to see how long it’ll take before your whole blood volume pours out from that tiny cut you’ll do exactly as I say,” Seth hissed.

“Vampires?” Marie asked and both men turned to look at her.

“Vampires,” Seth confirmed, then turned his attention back to Logan, trying to stem the blood flow from the wound on his side. Marie climbed out from the trunk, feeling pins and needles all over her feet.

Vampires.

“Like… Like Dracula?” She asked. She had seen what the monsters were capable of. She had seen them up close and personal, but it was hard to grasp the idea of their true nature.

“Not like Dracula. If they were imaginary characters like Dracula we wouldn’t have to worry. But they’re not. They’re real. And if we don’t get the fuck out of here your friend Wolverine will cease to exist. This wound will keep bleeding as long as there are vampires nearby,” Seth explained, forcing Logan on to the backseat of the car. “You’re riding the shotgun,” he then added, handing the weapon in question to Marie who could only stare at it.

“We don’t have all night, get in!” Seth shouted, and she sat quickly on to the front seat, placing the shotgun carefully over her trembling knees. Car sped up. She turned to look at Logan.

He lay on the bench. His face was pale and he was shivering. Blood was already seeping through the bandages.

“Are you… Are you going to be alright?” She asked. Logan flashed her wavering smile.

“You know me, kid. I’ll be just fine… Just give me a moment…” He said.

“He’s going to be just peachy once we reach El Rey. I cleaned it up from those blood suckers couple of years ago,” Seth confirmed. “But keep your eyes on the mirrors, kid. If anything moves behind us, shot it.”

“I haven’t used a gun before…”

“Just point, aim and pull the trigger. There’s no safety switch and I think I managed to tamp down the recoil quite a bit,” Seth explained, his eyes darting between mirrors and the road ahead.

***


Luckily they didn’t have to find out how good of a shot Marie was. Beasts stayed behind, probably licking their wounds and repairing Titty Twister for the next batch of victims. When they reached El Rey Logan felt already better, good enough to sit up and put on his coat. His shirt was as good as ruined; Seth had cut it off from him with a knife.

“You can stay at my place, I have couple of extra rooms at the top of my bar,” Seth promised and parked the car in front of a ramshackle building. Huge sign attached above the front door advertized cheap booze and even cheaper entertainment. Marie turned her questioning gaze to Seth who shrugged his shoulders.

“There’s a jukebox. Won’t get much cheaper from that…”

They rose from the car and walked in. Bar was empty and silent.

“Has been a slow week. When first words about MRA hit the news…” Seth started.

“MRA? Is it official now?” Logan interjected him. Seth shook his head.

“They brought it to senate on Monday. And they’re still discussing it. It’s already decided that it’ll become a law, but now they’re trying to settle over details.”

“MRA?” Marie asked.

“Mutant Registration Act,” Seth explained.

“What does it mean?” Marie asked.

“It means that we’re screwed, kid. U.S. officials are going to shut down the borders and hunt down all the mutants,” Logan said, sitting on to a barstool, combing back strands of hair from his forehead with his fingers.

“But… But we’re in Mexico. Doesn’t… Doesn’t that mean that we’re safe?” Marie asked.

“For now. Won’t take long before MRA becomes the word of the day in here as well. Once it gets through in the U.S. senate, there’s no stopping it. Not with majority of the human population hating you guys,” Seth said with hollow voice. “There’s no place to hide once that filth starts to spread.”

“Like hunters and vampires weren’t enough… We have to warn Xavier. There’s still time, he can get the kids out of country before…” Logan grabbed the phone that rested on the counter beside him and started dialing, then slammed the receiver back in to the cradle. Seth nodded.

“They’re listening the phone lines already. They want to find guys like Xavier as fast as possible as soon as MRA goes through. Chances are that they know about Xavier already, but they don’t know about you,” he said.

“I have to go back there. Somebody has to warn Xavier,” Logan said.
Chapter 3 by aranenumenesse
“Why does it have to be you?” Marie asked when they were getting ready for bed. Logan was standing in the miniscule bathroom which they shared, toothbrush hanging almost comically from the corner of his mouth when he kept thinking about her question.

“Who else could do it?” He finally asked, his eyes searching for hers via mirror.

“Seth?” Marie asked. Logan spat out frothy toothpaste and rinsed his mouth before answering.

“No.”

“No?”

“Seth isn’t a mutant. This isn’t his problem,” Logan said and reached for the blanket covering the bed. Marie was sitting on it, refusing to budge.

“He could go and give Xavier a letter from you. He wouldn’t even have to stay long enough to tell who wrote it. He could just slip it in to mailbox and…”

“Seth could do that. But what could he do if the place was already ruined? The mansion torn apart, bodies laying here and there, Xavier and others disappeared? What the hell could Seth do?” Logan asked with a low voice, giving the blanket a firm tug, sending Marie on the floor on her back.

“Well, what the hell could even you do if they were all dead or disappeared?” Marie asked, rubbing her backside.

“I’d figure out who did it. After that I’d make sure that they wouldn’t do it again. I’m going, and that’s final. End of discussion.”

“But…”

“End of discussion, kid. I’m leaving tomorrow. You’ll stay here with Seth. I’ll come back as soon as I have warned Xavier,” Logan said.

“And if you don’t come back?” Marie asked.

“I will come back.”

***


“For fuck’s sake! What part of me going alone didn’t you understand?” Logan growled after popping open the trunk of the car he had borrowed from Seth. Marie sat up rubbing the back of her head.

“You really think that I’d stay back and wait for you? Not knowing if you’ll come back?” She asked, climbing down and grasping Logan’s arm when pins and needles in her feet threatened to topple her over.

“I said I’d come back.”

“That’s what you said. But it’s kind of hard to keep your promise if you’re captured or dead. I rather get killed with you than wait back in El Rey for eternity for your return.”

“Jesus… I don’t have time to take you back; I guess I’ll have to keep you with me…” Logan mumbled, then grabbed her and hoisted her in to the car, slamming the door shut. “Buckle your seatbelt. We’re close the border already, and I’m not sure how we’ll cross it. If it’s closed I have to ram the barricades.”

“Weren’t you supposed to avoid attention?” Marie asked. Logan nodded.

“I was going to tiptoe my way in, but I think we’re running out of time. I have this weird feeling…”

“Ants in the pants?”

“You could say so. I felt something few moments ago. Like Xavier was trying to reach me. He doesn’t call me just to say hi, it’s too hard to get through to me. Xavier thinks that adamantium is blocking his telepathy or something…” Logan explained.

***


Border patrols posed no threat to them. Officials were too busy with throwing out mutants; they had no time to spare to check out vehicles getting in from Mexico.

“For once something worked for our advantage. And if this circus is still running when we come back… Well, we don’t have to bother hiding. We just have to blurt out that we’re mutants and they’ll escort us cross the border,” Logan said, hint of a smile tugging the corners of his mouth. “But I do have a problem now,” he continued, turning to look at Marie.

“A problem? What is it?” Marie asked.

“You. I can’t take you with me to Xavier. God only knows what’s going on in there. Maybe nothing. Maybe they’re alright. Maybe the place is already demolished and swarming with hunters.”

“But I could help you! I could…”

“You’d make a good distraction, yeah. As long as those mutts keep chewing on you they won’t bother coming after me. But that’s the kind of scenario that we’re trying to prevent, kid. I’m leaving you to a motel, and I’ll pick you up on my way back.”

“But…”

“Hush. You can argue all you like, but it won’t change a thing. You’ll stay back and let me take care of this. There will be many more opportunities for you to get maimed or killed later.”

“I flew the blackbird. I was gathering intel with you. You wouldn’t have made it through without me and…”

“Shut the fuck up, kid. As soon as you can kick my ass without draining somebody you can tell me what to do. While we’re waiting for that to happen I call the shots.”

“I can kick your ass…”

“Yeah, but only if you drain me first. Like I said, this isn’t open for discussion. I will gag you if you don’t stop bitching about this.”

“As nice as you gagging me sounds, I guess I’ll shut up now…”

“Kid?”

“Yes?”

“Shut up.”

“It’s that bad? What’s going on at Xavier’s is that bad?” Marie asked, now completely serious and little afraid. If something was bad enough to get Logan on the edge… It was bad.

“I don’t know what’s going on. For all I know professor might very well ask me to accompany him for a cup of tea and some biscuits. For all I know, there won’t be anything left to salvage. I’m not afraid of decent fight; it’s the not knowing that makes me twitch… And sooner I get you settled in to somewhere, sooner I get to find out how things are with professor and everybody else.”

***


Marie safely tucked away to a convenient motel Logan could go on with his mission. It didn’t take him long to reach Xavier’s mansion. From the distance everything seemed to be alright. No smoke coming out anywhere from the building, garden and lawns in immaculate condition, buildings at school grounds intact.

“But why would Stryker or anybody else demolish the place anyway? They just need us muties…” Logan grumbled, taking another look through the binoculars. Place looked dead. Deserted. At this time of the day the front lawn should have been swarming with kids of all shapes and sizes, but the whole mansion looked eerily silent and empty. He started the engine of the car, and then decided otherwise. If something had happened, if somebody had indeed attacked and carted Xavier, the staff and kids away, wouldn’t that somebody still be watching over the place in case of strays that returned?

“Better sneak in…”

Sneaking in was easy for him. After all, he had spent considerable amount of time as part of Xavier’s inner circle, and knew his way around the premises. Old sewers hidden at the back of the mansion provided a way in.

“If these tunnels even were sewers, ever… Xavier, you’re one sneaky bastard,” Logan grinned, then stopped in front of a panel. One touch of his fingertips would send it sliding up and grant him access to the hallway just outside of Xavier’s office. He tilted his head and listened carefully. Nothing. Hallway on the other side of the panel was silent. He poked the panel gently with his index finger, every muscle coiled. Ready to launch in to attack just in case somebody with bad intentions was waiting on the other side.

There was nobody waiting. One sniff of stale air, and his nose confirmed what his backbone and gut had been telling him all along. Mansion was empty. He pushed open the door to Xavier’s office. Nothing seemed out of place. Everything was neat and tidy, books and papers on the desk were waiting for Xavier’s arrival, chalkboard near the window still carried evidence of Xavier’s last physics class.

“What the hell happened here?” Logan whispered and walked around the massive desk, reaching for the pile of papers at the center of it. Equations, charts and essays of the students. Just waiting for somebody to rate them. Logan discarded the papers and reached for the phone sitting next to them. No dial tone, just empty line. He listened for a moment. Nothing. There was nobody at the other end of the line. Yet he had this strange feeling, like a tickle in his ear, warding him off from the phone. Like somebody, or something was listening in him breathing and listening the silent line.

He put the receiver back in to cradle, then picked it up and twisted it open to see if there was something wrong with it. No bugs, just something that looked a lot like basic phone device should look like.

***


Logan left the mansion after combing it thoroughly in search of clues. He had found absolutely nothing. Nothing was out of place. There were no mysterious slips of paper. There were no hidden notes on the walls. There was absolutely nothing to clue him in to the disappearance of the students and the staff. Even Xavier’s fleet of vehicles was still safely stored in the garage.

That combined with the fact that every official from kindergarten to special black OP’s was now on full alert and ready to act from the first sign of mutant activity forced him to retreat. It didn’t feel right just to leave, but what could he do? For all he knew Xavier could have arranged some sort of elaborate evacuation to hide the staff and the students.

***


“What are we going to do now?” Marie asked after he had briefed her in on the situation.

“We’re going back to El Rey. There’s nothing we can do. We’re going to rent a place from Seth and lay low until the storm is over,” Logan said. Marie looked relieved and rose on tip-toes in front of him to give him the mother of all hugs.

“I’ve been afraid from the moment we left Seth’s place. I already lost everybody else when Scott got hurt, I don’t want to lose you, too,” she whispered and sniffled a bit. Logan held her, trying his best to convey comfort and brotherly love despite the fact that her closeness was slowly waking up completely different emotions in him. The kind of emotions that he was supposed to keep buried under ton of concrete because she was just a kid. She was twenty-one, according to law perfectly legal, but she was just a kid. Period. It didn’t matter that her curvaceous body felt just right and her breasts rubbed his pectorals in quite suggestive way. It really didn’t matter, but he had to struggle to let go of her when their embrace just kept going until it actually felt more awkward than pleasurable.

“How are we going to get across the border?” Marie asked. Logan shrugged his shoulders.

“When we came here it looked like they got their hands full with us muties, and they weren’t capturing us. If they’re still deporting us we can just drive there and ask to be let out of the country.”

“What if they have changed their minds? They were talking about camps for us in the news while you were away,” Marie said. Again Logan shrugged his shoulders.

“We’ll worry about that when we get there.”

***


“We’re supposed to detain as many of you guys as we can. But those Special OP’s assholes haven’t picked up even the first batch. Just go and do not bother to come back and we’re good,” tired looking officer of the border patrol said when Logan approached him with Marie.

“Thanks,” Marie whispered as Logan turned to leave. Officer looked at her, sad smile tugging the corners of his mouth.

“They already took my wife and our daughter. I don’t give a shit of their great speeches and plans. Just stay out of this hell and stay safe,” he then said. Marie nodded, unsure of what to say. Logan resolved her dilemma by dragging her in to their car.

“You heard the man. We better get going before he changes his mind.”

They crossed the border in silence. Their journey back to El Rey was surprisingly uneventful. Seth welcomed them and made some arrangements. They settled in to a small hut at Seth’s backyard. One bedroom, small kitchen and a bathroom.

“I’ll give him a month, tops,” Seth said one night when she was sitting with him at the bar, wondering how long it would take before Logan got restless. “One month, and even that’s stretching it. So if you got some plans, I’d suggest that you do something now. He’s not going to sit and mope much longer.”

“Uhm… Plans? Why… What plans?” Marie squeaked, turning beet red under Seth’s scrutinizing gaze.

“I’m not blind. Or stupid. You two better start boning each other while you still can. There’s no telling how long we’ll be safe here.”

“Logan doesn’t want me like that! Besides, we couldn’t even if he wanted to… My skin…”

“Bullshit. There’s gallons of latex paint at the backroom. Grab a bucket and introduce Logan to a whole new level of safe sex. Do it before it’s too late,” Seth said, stood up and left her alone with a shot of whiskey and an idea.

***


She waited until she knew that Logan would be gone for several hours. She couldn’t just claim the bathroom for the whole evening and expect Logan not to be even the slightest bit of curious. She borrowed his razor. Hesitated only a moment when it became apparent that she’d have to shave everything to make the paint work as she wished. She wasn’t going to cover her whole head, her hairs would provide enough protection, but otherwise her skin had to be extra smooth.

After shaving she looked at herself from the full-length mirror and swallowed, almost backing out. Would Logan finally see that she was more than just a kid? Or would he simply tell her to wash off the sticky stuff and put clothes back on before she caught cold?

She shook her head. She wasn’t going to back out now. Seth was right. World was on a fast lane straight to Hell. At least she should try. She opened the first small bucket and dipped the soft brush in to light blue goo. It felt cold on her skin, but it dried quickly, leaving smooth and not even slightly sticky surface.

***



She painted her face last. She tried to be careful and cover all of her skin. She kept twisting and turning in front of the mirror to make sure that she hadn’t missed anything.

“There’s a blank spot, right under your left shoulder,” Logan suddenly said. She whirled around. He was standing at the door of the bathroom, leaning on the doorjamb, hands crossed over his chest. When she just stood there dazed, staring at him, Logan stepped closer and took the brush from her. It slid over her shoulder, down her back. She could feel Logan’s gaze following the path it took.

“There. Better?” He asked, urging her to turn around and look in to the mirror.

“Uh… Yeah… Thanks,” she stuttered, now unsure and quite embarrassed. This hadn’t been part of her plan. Logan wasn’t supposed to be home. Not yet. She met his eyes on the smooth surface of the mirror.

“Seth. He told me. Are you… Is this… Are you sure?” Logan asked.

“No…” She managed to squeak. Logan huffed and crouched behind her. “You weren’t supposed to come back. Not yet,” she stuttered. Logan huffed again, reached her with his hand, then changed his mind and let his hands rest over his thighs.

“What was supposed to happen? What were you going to do?” He asked. “I stayed hour or so out, and when I got back, you’d… What?”

“I’m not a kid, Logan. I’m a grown woman,” Marie started. Logan stood up and turned to leave the bathroom.

“Don’t you think I know that already? But there’s a big difference of being adult and being ready for something,” he spoke with a low voice. She could tell from his posture that this was the one battle he wasn’t planning to lose. She walked after him.

“And how would you know if I’m ready? You have been coddling me so long, that it’s all you can do! I’m not some fragile porcelain doll! I won’t break if you play with me!” She shouted, determined to change his mind. Logan turned around to face her, questioning look on his face.

“Is that all you want? To play? I don’t think so… Kid. I’m not going to play with you. I got all the hookers Seth has on his payroll if I want just to play. I’m not… You’re not… I don’t play with you,” he growled.

She almost backed out. Obviously she had struck a wrong cord, and they were out of sync. Instead of reasonable, curious and horny Logan was plain angry now. He grasped a firm hold from her arm and pulled her closer, his face hovering only inches from hers.

“Back at Laughlin I made you a promise. I promised not to hurt you. I’d like to think that I held that one quite good. I’d like to keep not hurting you, if that’s okay with you?” He murmured. She suppressed the urge to point out that she’d have bruises shaped after his fingers underneath the paint later.

“You’re already hurting me, Logan. I’m not a child. I don’t want to be treated like one,” she whispered instead. She could see the gradual shift in his eyes. From anger to… Despair?

“Marie… Don’t. Don’t do this…”

She leaned closer, closing the gap that separated them and laid a kiss on the corner of his mouth.

“You’re not going to hurt me. I want this. I want you. All of you,” she whispered. Logan’s resolve was already cracked. He was holding her with both hands, keeping her close rather than trying to scare her off.

“You’re still going to be here when I wake up in the morning?” He asked.

“Where else would I be?” She asked.

“I just want you to be sure about this. I don’t want you to leave just because you’re having second thoughts about us and what we’re going to do.”

“I’m not going to leave you. I’ve wanted this for long. I want you.”

***


It was awkward at first. Either of them hadn’t thought of the logistics of it all, they kept stumbling and giggling nervously as if they were couple of teenagers. She was overjoyed, finally able to touch him. He was nervous, but eager to finally make it happen. They couldn’t get his clothes off fast enough. He couldn’t get his hands on her fast enough. Their short trek over the floor to the corner where her bed stood was a hazardous one, and it was a small wonder that they made it without serious injuries. Logan struck his toe twice and she bumped her forehead against his too often to count.

“You know, I’m not usually this… This clumsy,” Logan whispered breathlessly when he came up for air. She grasped his hair.

“I don’t want to think about your usual…” She hissed and pulled him back to her, locking his lips with her own. Further conversation could wait.

***


He woke up to a pleasant feeling of warmth. Marie slept peacefully by his side, one hand and leg thrown over him. She was still covered with latex from head to toe. Light blue membrane was torn and cracked from waist up. Below waist level it was still intact. In the end they hadn’t been ready for more, but holding her and kissing and caressing her had been more than enough.

He let his fingers map a path from the tip of her nose to her navel. She flinched in her dream, but didn’t wake up. It felt wrong. Rubbery surface of her painted skin protected them both, but it couldn’t feel all that comfortable for her. It was a barrier. It just wasn’t right. He grasped a small flap that hang loose over her cheekbone and tore it off, carefully, not wanting to wake her yet. Another strip of blue latex gone, from the top of her nose this time. Piece by piece he kept peeling her face, wanting to see her creamy skin instead of blue rubber. When he reached the hollow of her throat he stopped. He’d better wait for her to wake up before he continued.

He turned on his side, face to face with her. She was beautiful. Pretty. Cute as a kitten, and according to her own words, completely his. He could still remember how she looked back at the Laughlin. Scared. Hungry. Tired. And undoubtedly his from the very moment he saw her. She had thrown her heart at his feet for him to do as he saw fit. And what had he done? He had taken it and kept it under a sturdy lock, refusing to give it deserved attention.

She wasn’t a kid. Had never been. It was time to accept it. It was time to stop hurting her. It was time to accept the fact that he loved her, had loved her from the moment he first saw her in that dingy bar.

He closed his eyes, calling forth every love and lust filled thought he had had about her over the years and kissed her bare lips, hoping to transfer his longing and love to her.

He kept kissing her, now almost desperate for it to work. Her skin wasn’t reacting. He wasn’t in agony; she wasn’t waking up and screaming. He was able to kiss her bare lips and she was answering to his kiss, slowly waking up to the realization that for some reason she wasn’t hurting him.

***


She was drowning in to sensations. Logan’s lips were everywhere at once, his teeth nibbling and his tongue laving, he was tearing in to the blue membrane that separated them. She pulled him on top of her, not getting enough of the delicious contact of their skins, she wanted, she needed more. Logan was efficient and thorough, tearing off flaps of rubber and smoothing the aggravated skin underneath with his tongue. She was going to explode in his embrace soon. His hands kept finding places that hadn’t been touched for years. His lips were traveling paths she had only imagined in her wildest dreams. There was no trace of the earlier fumbling and stumbling. No insecurity. It was as if their bodies had finally grown tired of waiting, instincts took over.

When Logan moved lower on the bed and his head landed on her lower abdomen she felt a bit squeamish. It was one thing to fantasize about things. This was really happening. She froze. Logan turned to look at her, question in his dark eyes. For a while she struggled, then need won over reason.

“Be careful,” she whispered, then closed her eyes. And careful he was. At first she felt only the lightest of touch. His fingers. He was caressing the inner side of her thighs, tips of his fingers sliding over the rubber, climbing higher until he reached her cleft. There he stopped, moving back up on the bed, facing her.

“What?” She asked confused.

“Have to peel all this stuff away first. I don’t want anything between us. Turn around…”

She turned on her stomach, amazed at how sensitive even her backside was. Logan’s fingers, lips, teeth and tongue made her squirm from pleasure underneath him. And he was taking his sweet time in exposing her, lingering over at most delicious places, making her melt completely under his ministrations. At one point she hazily realized that he hadn’t actually touched anything that was traditionally thought as erogenous. Yet she was quite sure that this constant peak she was teetering on was the longest orgasm of her life. And when Logan urged her to turn around she was almost disappointed. Soon that feeling turned in to pure bliss. There were only scraps let of the shielding cocoon, but they were blocking something very important. She could feel, first his fingers gently prying off layer of rubber from the juncture of her thighs. Then his hot, ragged breath over her skin. Tongue delving in to her crevice, finding her already soaking wet. She gasped, trying to form a coherent plea, trying to make him understand that she couldn’t take this much longer. Logan seemed to understand and climbed higher on the bed, settling on top of her, his cock brushing her lightly.

“Are you sure?” He once more asked. She could only nod. That was the only confirmation he needed.

At first it hurt. She wasn’t prepared for that. She bit her lip, tears threatening to escape. Logan stayed still, just holding her close, letting her to get accustomed.

“Sorry about this… But it’ll get better,” he whispered. “Just relax. We’re in no hurry,” he said, rolling them over so that she lay on top of him. For a long moment she stayed there, listening the sound of his heart. It was strong.

She tried to move her hips. It felt strange at first, but when she sat up it was better. She could feel his cock inside of her, rubbing and stretching her. It didn’t feel bad, just different. Different from what she had imagined. Logan grabbed her hips.

“Move a little… There… Better?” He asked his eyes half hooded. She was now leaning over him, his cock rubbing her in a different way. It was not all the way in, and she could feel it pressing something very sensitive.

“Much better…” She whispered, building up a rhythm that made her insides tingle. Logan seemed to enjoy as well, letting her find out what she liked on her own rather than just taking her.

She was slowly picking up her pace when Logan suddenly grasped her again and rolled them over, pushing deeper in to her. She bit his shoulder to muffle her scream. It didn’t feel strange or bad anymore. She was starting to wonder how some people were able to choose celibacy over Heaven, for Heaven or Paradise this had to be.
This story archived at http://wolverineandrogue.com/wrfa/viewstory.php?sid=3920