Reaching Out, Reaching In by RentonWild
Summary: Rogue makes a decision that she believes to be uncomplicated. But a beast is awakened and she must face the consequences. Outside the safety of Charles Xavier's mansion, events are set into to motion that will change her life forever.
Categories: X3 Characters: None
Genres: Drama
Tags: None
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 18 Completed: No Word count: 36762 Read: 125056 Published: 01/06/2007 Updated: 02/24/2007

1. Possession by RentonWild

2. Fear by RentonWild

3. Wait by RentonWild

4. Elsewhere by RentonWild

5. Circles by RentonWild

6. Ice by RentonWild

7. Plenty by RentonWild

8. Building a Mystery by RentonWild

9. Surfacing by RentonWild

10. Solace by RentonWild

11. Witness by RentonWild

12. Black by RentonWild

13. Out of the Shadows by RentonWild

14. The Path of Thorns by RentonWild

15. Vox by RentonWild

16. Train Wreck by RentonWild

17. Fumbling Towards Ecstasy by RentonWild

18. Steaming by RentonWild

Possession by RentonWild
Author's Notes:
Disclaimer: The X-Men and their likenesses belong to Marvel and Fox, not me.

This story begins from Wolverine's POV, but the rest of it will be from Rogue's. And, even though it is Movieverse, Scott never died. Also, Logan is a little bit more gruff and crude than in the movies.
Her breath was steady and warm against his chest. His left arm was falling asleep, but he reasoned that it wasn’t worth the risk of waking her. It was early morning, but the sun had not risen yet. Outside, the trees swayed, and their movement was the only sound to be heard inside the still quiet of the old manor. Just the creaking branches and her heartbeat.

Listen as the wind blows from across the Great Divide.
Voices trapped in yearning; memories trapped in time.
The night is my companion and solitude my guide.
Would I spend forever here and not be satisfied?


He lay awake, unable to put his mind to rest. He felt like a monster. He had done the unthinkable, and he, the fierce Wolverine, was afraid. She had come to him, asking for comfort, and instead, he stole her innocence. Like an animal, he ravaged her.

And I would be the one to hold you down
Kiss you so hard
I’ll take your breath away.
And after, I’d wipe away your tears.


She cried over a broken heart. She sobbed over rejection. And he dried her tears with false love and misplaced affection. She was just a kid, and he had used her. He couldn’t bear to look at her angelic frame.

Just close your eyes dear.

He knew that she wanted him. As Jean had once said, she was a little “taken” by him. But that gave him no right to touch her; to taste her; to mark his territory. All of the lust he still had for Jean, he poured into her. He made her believe that he wanted her, and only her. He made her think that she was more to him than a charming kid with a nice body. He didn’t want to belong to her, but he sure as hell didn’t want anybody else to have her. The Wolverine valued his possessions. Logan was used to getting what he wanted, but he’d never felt guilty before.

And through this world I’ve stumbled,
So many times betrayed.
Trying to find an honest word, to find the truth enslaved.
Oh you speak to me in riddles and you speak to me in rhymes…


She came to his bed and allowed him to cross an unspoken line. She knew he wouldn’t say no. There was nothing between them. No scarves, no gloves. She couldn’t hurt him now.

My body aches to breathe your breath…
Your words keep me alive.


He couldn’t shake the feeling of self-disgust that coursed through his blood. He contemplated leaving before she woke up, but something stopped him.

Into this night I wander.
It’s morning that I dread.
Another day of knowing of the path I fear to tread…


There was a strange ache in his chest. Even though the Wolverine owed nothing to anyone, he had promised to take care of her, and he broke that vow. All the evils that he had tried to keep her from were nothing compared to the beast that had taken him over and made her unclean.

Oh into the sea of waking dreams
I follow without pride.
Nothing stands between us here
And I won’t be denied.


He wished for nothing more than to take it all back, to turn her away. Her kisses would no longer be chaste nor her touch pure, and it was all because of him. He fought the urge to release his claws, stifling frustration and anxiety. She stirred and her eyelashes fluttered, tickling his skin.

And I would be the one
To hold you down
Kiss you so hard
I’ll take your breath away…


She looked up at him, taking a moment to regain clarity. She pushed herself up and sat cross-legged, facing away from him. Her hair was kinked in every direction, and gilded slightly by the emerging break of dawn. She rubbed her eyes and yawned. He waited for her to turn and cuddle with him. He waited for the “I love you.” He waited for the unwanted kiss. But they never came.

And after, I’d wipe away the tears.
Just close your eyes dear.


She rose from the bed and retrieved her nightgown. He sat up, unsure of what to say or do. She smiled nervously at him and rubbed her arm, a gesture of discomfort.

“Good mornin’…” she said, attempting to make the situation less uneasy.
“You going?” he asked, with surprise.
“Yeah, I… I’m kind of hungry. I’m gonna get some breakfast...and a shower.”
There was an awkward silence. “You, uh, want some company?” he cleared his throat. “For breakfast, I mean,” he added quickly.
“No, it’s okay,“ she chuckled. He felt his muscles tighten. “I…I’ll see you around, Logan.” His goodbye sounded more like a grunt. She paused with her hand on the doorknob and turned to look at him one last time. Then, she slipped out the door, shutting it softly behind her.

And I would be the one…

She was gone. It wasn’t supposed to be that way. He was supposed to leave, not her. He was supposed to call the shots, not her. The Wolverine had misjudged his prey. She was stronger than he thought. She…had used him.

He…belonged to her.
Fear by RentonWild
Author's Notes:
Disclaimer: The X-Men and their likenesses belong to Marvel and Fox, not me.
My cheeks are flushed from sleep, and my mascara is slightly smudged under my eyes. I must admit, though, I look pretty good in the morning. I don’t smell very good though, and that’s why I’m running water for a shower.

I examine my body in the mirror. I swear my nose is crooked and one of my ears hangs lower. There are pale white lines along the tops of my breasts. Battle scars from growing into a woman. I wonder if he noticed them. Whatever, I’ve got a nice rack. Even the girls say so. Well, they think it. I snort at my ego. I’m not pretty and I’m not “hot” and I’ve got a disproportionate body, but I’m not worried about it. It’s my skin that keeps the boys away. Not anymore, though.

I slip out of my nightgown and step into the scalding hot water. I ponder turning the right hand knob to cool it down, but the burning sensation on my skin reminds me of last night.

Last night. This morning. I was in his bed. I don’t know where my courage had come from. I’m no prude, but I don’t make a habit of offering myself to brooding men with a violent streak. I mean, I know Logan. We’re friends. He takes care of me. But I know my place, and I’m not Jean. I’ll never be as beautiful as she was. I’m too young for him. And, frankly, sometimes he scares me.

A long time ago I had a dream of running off with him, just the two of us. We were going to be fugitives from humans and mutants, and we were going to live happily ever after. But I was seventeen, then. I got Bobby, so I got over Logan.

But Bobby’s a confused jerk, and I made a mistake. I sacrificed myself for him, as much as I want to deny it, and he rejected me for some 12-year-old looking brat. Whatever. I wouldn’t say I got even, really, but I know how much Bobby would hate it if he found out Logan got to me before him. I smirk as I reach for the soap. Besides, it’s not that bad being able to touch.

I don’t belong here, now, though. Maybe that’s why Bobby wanted out. But, c’mon, it’s not like I could just change my mutation so that he could still have me, but I wouldn’t kill him when he tried to kiss me. Why am I even thinking about him? Everything’s back to the way it was, and I’m stuck looking out for myself again. I have to leave, and I know it.

At least I kind of got what I wanted. I left my bed last night knowing good and well that I wouldn’t be returning. Logan’s an emotional wreck right now, and so am I. Too bad I couldn’t stab my boyfriend to solve all of his problems. Wait, that was awful! Why am I even thinking that? Jean was a nice, caring, genuine person. With legs that practically screamed “Fuck me.”

I shake my head. I hate when that happens. It’s Logan. Sometimes he slips out. Once, during Physics, I was frustrated because I was tired and I couldn’t grasp what the hell Professor Summers was talking about, so I accidentally called him “four eyes.” And then, when I came to my senses and turned beet red, I tried to apologize, but I ended up calling him “high beam” and “laser tag.” I thought he was going to blast my head off, but luckily I was saved by the bell.

I’ve even wondered what Professor Storm would look like wearing nothing but a smile on top of the control panels in the X-jet. I laugh quietly and turn off the water. I reach around the curtain to grab a towel, and hop out of the shower.

I feel weird. I feel like I’m empty, but there’s a lot of pressure against my skin from the inside out. I also feel sore. I comb the tangles from my hair, and water creeps down my skin, reminding me of the sweat on Logan’s forehead. I’m not going to lie. It didn’t feel good. I tried so hard to feel anything but blinding pain, but I’m basically the Virgin Queen and Logan’s…uh…gifted, so good luck with that. Besides, I’m the one who initiated everything, so I wasn’t about to tell that man to stop.

I kissed him. It was the most unattractive situation ever, though, because I had salty tears and slobber all over my face from crying. But when I looked at him I was reminded of that time on the train. I remembered when he was my hero, my knight in shining adamantium armor.

I could tell he was uncomfortable enough from my vulnerability and the sudden fact that I could touch people. And I made it worse by attacking his lips. I pretended to be completely at ease, but inside, my heart was pounding because I could feel his lack of desire. I tore myself away and didn’t meet his eyes. I was embarrassed and all that bravado and adrenaline was reduced to a feeling of sickness in my stomach. What the hell was I thinking?

Then, by some fucked up logic, I thought it would be a good idea to crawl on top of him and bury my face against his chest. I acted like a drunken college girl—so confused and in love with everyone and ready to cuddle and on the verge of throwing up. He probably thought I’d broken into Xavier’s liquor cabinet. Then, he gave me the sign that I wasn’t acting like a maniac. He slipped his hand under my nightshirt and it came to rest on the small of my back. Logan had made it known before I got the cure that he wasn’t my father, which somehow makes what we did okay, I guess. And I’m 18, so it’s not exactly illegal.

I smile shyly when I think of his rough fingertips. They were a nice contrast to the delicate parts of my body. He made sure he got to every single one. I led slowly and he followed, until his impatience became very clear.

Neither of us said anything the entire time, but it wasn’t impersonal. I know he enjoyed it. I think? He groaned a little… but we couldn’t exactly scream in ecstasy. The walls of this mansion are thin, literally and figuratively. I rake my hair with my fingers and pull it into a crappy, bumpy ponytail.

I wonder what he was thinking about. I know it wasn’t me. I’m not a stupid little girl and I know that he’s a grown man. I’m just a kid to him and he doesn’t want me. I knew that when I let him have me. Besides, I used him just the same as he used me. He needed sex; I needed attention. I’m very proud of myself. Before I left his room, I let him know that I don’t expect anything.

He doesn’t want me. He doesn’t want me.

Oh, god. I don’t feel so confident anymore. I think about what I would think of myself if I were an outsider. Wow, it’s pretty messed up. This chick had a crush on an old man who saved her life once or twice, then threw herself into the arms of the first boy who accepted her, then she got dumped by that boy because he’s horny and an idiot, and so she goes back to the old man and loses her virginity to him…less than 12 hours after she gets dumped by the boyfriend.

It’s not that I’m not happy with my situation. I can’t help but feel naïve, though. Maybe I’ve made another mistake. Maybe I picked the wrong bed to climb into. Psh, like I’d feel any better if I’d had sex with Scott. Well, maybe. Then, it would’ve been random and completely okay because we had no history. Logan and I don’t have history, but he knows how much I idolized him.

Oh god. What if he thinks I’m some kind of fan club now? What if he gets off on that? What if that’s why he let me act the way I did? He was flattered! What an asshole! Wait, why am I mad at him? I’m the one who caused this problem. But he still could have denied me. But then I would’ve wondered why nobody wants me and cried even more. I need to eat, because when I get hungry I lose brain cells. And when I lose brain cells, I think way too much. Go figure.

I could handle this one of two ways. I could avoid him, but that wouldn’t really work because then he’d know that I’m not really as cool about this as I thought I was. Or, I could act normal, but still avoid the situation.

I take a deep breath and finish my morning face routine with a little moisturizer. I feel sad and trapped, and this sucks. I’m not as grown up as I thought.
Wait by RentonWild
Author's Notes:
Disclaimer: The X-Men and their likenesses belong to Marvel and Fox, not me.
I haven’t seen Logan all day, and I’m secretly grateful. I mean, I most certainly have not been avoiding the whole 3rd story or the garage or the gym. That’s a lie, but I’m avoiding everything else too. I have no one to talk to, not even some adult mentor. I feel like Storm’s disowned me for my decision to get the cure. Scott’s torn to pieces over Jean. I don’t know Dr. Hank that well. And Professor Xavier’s gone.

I don’t have any friends, either. Bobby was the glue that held me to the other kids my age, but now I can’t possibly see myself being friendly with them. For God’s sake, one of them stole him away from me. So, I’ve resigned myself to wandering aimlessly around the mansion, until classes start up again. What's the point in me staying here to learn anything, though?

I’m going to leave. There’s no question about it. I think it’s best that I go before I get kicked out. I’m not a mutant anymore, so it’s kind of weird for me to be living at Mutant high. I don’t really have anywhere to go, though. I wonder if my parents will want to see me. Theoretically, they should love me just the way they did before my skin started acting up. Everything’s back to normal now.

So why do I miss myself? I just have to get used to this, the same way I got used to being different. I wonder what Logan thinks of what I did. He told me it was my choice, but I wonder if he thinks I’m a coward, just like the others. I feel like I have to justify my actions, when that’s really not fair. They can’t judge me. They don’t know how important touch is because they don’t have to worry about sucking the living daylights out of people.

I should be enjoying this freedom, but instead, I keep making excuses for it. I feel like my chest is going to cave in. I have so many thoughts and emotions inside of me right now. The deadly skin is gone, but all those people I absorbed are still there.

The younger students are back from summer break. Well, most of them. I can hear some playful screeching coming from the direction of the pool. Storm warns one of them about creating whirlpools, and I’m reminded of how surreal this whole situation is. If I was still a mutant, I wouldn’t be bothered. But, now, I’m human, so I’m not supposed to hear these kinds of interaction.

I go through the back doors near the kitchen and head up a small staircase. My problem with Logan doesn’t seem that important anymore. I have to find a place to go once I’ve packed my bags. I’m really scared. Why did I think I could come back here after I was cured?

Once in my dorm, I instinctively reach for my duffel bag. It’s pretty much packed and ready to go. I pay no attention to Jubilee or Kitty who eye me warily from their beds. Whatever they were talking about, they’ve stopped. I walk straight past them to the small bathroom and remove a couple of things from the medicine cabinet. I wipe my toothbrush on a dry towel and stuff it into my make-up bag.

I hear the girls whispering as I walk back into the room and Kitty clears her throat. “Um…Rogue?”

I ignore her.

“Rogue, I just… I wanted to say that I’m sorry. I didn’t mean for me and Bobby to… He just… It just happened.”

Jubilee chimes in, “And, c’mon, everyone knows you two have been having problems for a while.”

“Oh, really? Is that so?” I laugh. “Because, I mean, I thought we were doing pretty good.”

Kitty flinches. “Rogue, you guys…you couldn’t touch.”

“So your idea of relationship counseling was to steal my boyfriend?”

“I didn’t steal anything!” She protests. “He came to me.”

“Right. Well, now that you put it that way, it’s okay. I forgive you.” My tone is viciously sarcastic.

“He just wanted a normal girlfriend, Rogue.” The minute she speaks she knows that she’s hit a nerve. “I’m sorry, that’s not what I meant. None of us are normal here.”

“No…” I nearly whisper. “But of course, everyone’s more normal than me. Whatever. It doesn’t matter because I’m leaving to go live a normal life. In case you’ve forgotten, I’m cured.” I nearly spit out the last word. I grab my bag and slam the door behind me.
Elsewhere by RentonWild
Author's Notes:
Disclaimer: The X-Men and their likenesses belong to Marvel and Fox, not me.
I wish I had a lighter. I want to set my coat and my gloves and my scarves on fire. I want to watch them burn. I want to cut off all of my hair so that stupid white reminder will go away. Maybe I should go wake Logan from one of his nightmares so he’ll stab me again.

I’m heading toward the garage for I don’t know what reason. Maybe I’ll steal a car. I’m starting to wish I had listened to Storm. She told me that there was nothing wrong with me, and you know what? There wasn’t, until now. Now there’s a lot wrong with me, like the fact that I’m alone and I don’t have anywhere to live and I’m flat broke because I don’t have a job. I don’t technically have a valid education, so it’s not like I can find a job…unless I become a stripper or a hooker.

Hmmm… what would my stripper name be? Rogue doesn’t exactly exude sex and seduction. Maybe something like…Peaches or Sugar. That would go well with my accent. Oh no. My big problem just got worse. Logan.

He’s got the hood up on one of the cars. He doesn’t look up at me, but he’s got very acute senses, so he knows I’m in here.

“You need a ride somewhere, kid?” I don’t now how he talks with that big cigar in his mouth.

I move away from the shadows and toward the light of the workbench where he’s rustling through a blue toolbox. I set my bag on the floor and stuff my hands into my pockets. “No…I don’t know. Maybe. Yes.”

He cocks a brow at me and rests his cigar between his thumb and index finger. Maybe it’s in my head, but his gaze is different. I feel so self-conscious. “Where you gonna go?”

“I can’t stay here, Logan. I don’t belong. Everyone’s made that quite clear.” My voice is shaking and I don’t know why.

“Really…” He tosses what’s left of his cigar on the concrete floor and squashes it with his heavy boots. He puts his hands on his hips and his dog tags clink a little with his movement. “Everyone?”

I don’t like where this conversation is headed. “I’m cured, Logan. I’m not a threat anymore. I’m not a mutant. I have to leave.”

He shrugs. “Do what you want, kid.” He’s back to examining the engine.

What? Sometimes, Logan really makes my head hurt. “So does that mean you’re going to give me a ride? Or am I gonna have to use my Southern charm to hitch rides from pervert truckers?”

He chuckles. “I got some things to do. When you leaving?”

“Right now.” The words fly out of my mouth before I’m even sure that’s what I want.

He’s quiet for a long time, unscrewing caps, wiping things down, and checking fluids. He retrieves the hand towel from his back pocket and wipes the grease from his skin. “Wait here.”

He disappears into the mansion. He comes back a few moments later, and I’m snooping around through the toolboxes. He’s put on a second shirt and his denim jacket. He says nothing to me, and heads across the garage toward the Range Rover. I guess that’s my cue. I grab my bag and follow him.

He doesn’t wait for me to get into the car to start the engine. And he doesn’t even wait for me to buckle up before he takes off, a little too quickly, toward the rolling door. He speeds toward the front gates, and makes a sharp turn onto the winding mountain road.

“Um, Logan, where are we going?” I ask hesitantly.

“I don’t know,” he replies gruffly. “You tell me.”

“I’m not really sure,” I confess.

“Well make up your mind, kid. You’re the one who’s so eager to run away.” There is impatience in his voice.

“What the hell, Logan? What’s that supposed to mean?”

“It means that I’m disappointed in you, kid.” He never takes his eyes off the road, although he’s driving like someone who’s wearing a blindfold.

“What?! You’re disappointed in me? Why?! What did I do? What do you expect me to do? Just sit around that place and pretend that I’m still one of the ol’ gang?” I realize that my voice is quite loud.

“Your accent gets thicker when you’re mad,” he points out.

“What?!” Like I said, Logan makes my head hurt. “What does that have to do with anything?”

“Kid, I’m two seconds away from slicing out your larynx.” His grip on the steering wheel tightens.

Whoa. That shuts me up. Logan’s never threatened me with violence before. He’s joking, right?

“Look, kid, you asked me for advice and I gave it to you. I told you to never go against your gut for some snot-head, blue-balled icicle, and you completely disobeyed me.”

I feel the blood rush to my face. “Disobeyed you? What, are you my master now? You said that you aren’t my father, Logan, so you have no right to chastise me for what I did. I didn’t take the cure for Bobby!”

He snorts. “Yes you did. You know it, I know it, and he knows it. You bitched because you weren’t normal, and now you’re bitching because you are.”

“What?!” I shift so quickly in my seat that the belt locks and pins me back. “How dare you say that to me!”

“Kid, I’m the only person who’s gonna be this honest with you. You should be thanking me. I’m all you got.” He glances back and forth between the rear view mirror and the road ahead.

“Bullshit! Fuck you, Logan!”

“Watch your language.”

“Fine, screw you!” my voice breaks. I’ve started to cry and I can’t stop. I’m crying because I’m hurt, and I’m crying because he’s right. I was stupid and I thought taking the cure would solve all of my “problems.” But now, I wish I could go back.

I turn toward the window and rest my head against the cold glass. I sob quietly to myself. I hear him say something under his breath. The car slows and Logan veers off onto a county access road.

“What’re you doing?” I don’t mean to sound so panicked. He drives for several hundred feet and parks. “Is this it? Are you dropping me here?”

“Don’t be stupid,” he mutters as he unbuckles.

“You’re wearing your seatbelt,” I whisper.

He grunts in acknowledgement. “I can’t seem to shake the habit.” I almost smile. He clears his throat. “I should’ve stopped you. I should’ve put my foot down. I should never have let you walk out that door. Look at you, kid. You’re me. Isolated, alone, full of regret, and reduced to a life of roaming. You’re better than that.”

“It’s no different. Even with my skin, I was an outcast. I don’t have a ‘cool’ mutant power. I can’t move things with my mind, I can’t fly, I can’t control metal, I can’t make fire or ice… I just drain people’s memories and life. What good is that? I don’t belong anywhere, Logan.”

We’re quiet for a long time. “I didn’t hurt you, did I?”

I frown. “What do you mean?”

He strokes his chin and the stubble on his face. “Last night.”

“Oh.” What was that? That’s all I can say. Oh. What am I supposed to say? It did hurt. “No.”

“Kid, there’s no easy way to say this. But…”

“I know, Logan.” I put on my best brave face.

“No, I don’t think you do,” he exhales. “I was supposed to protect you, and I’m the one who’s the biggest threat to you. You’re gonna go back to Xavier’s and I’m gonna leave.”

“Logan, you know you can’t just pack up and abandon the school, now.”

“And you can?” He has a point.

“But Logan, I’m not a mutant anymore! How many times do I have to say it? And believe me, that makes a difference.”

“But you sure as hell ain’t one of them.” He finally looks at me. “You’re gonna run away and hide just because people are looking at you funny? That’s not Rogue.”

“Well, if I can’t go, then you can’t go,” I reason.

“I have to.”

“Why?”

“Because it’s not safe.” There’s definitely something bothering him. He seems so tense and nervous.

“Why?”

“ Because!” He nearly growls. “Don’t ask any more questions. I’m taking you back.”

I stare at him in awe. What just happened? He starts the engine so roughly that the car makes a creaking noise. I don’t want to go back, but right now, that looks like my only option.
Circles by RentonWild
Author's Notes:
Disclaimer: The X-Men and their likenesses belong to Marvel and Fox, not me.
Logan hasn’t said anything to me since we got back to the mansion. Nobody has. I figure that since I’m staying here, I should make myself useful, so I’m trying to find something to do. We’re not really allowed in the main kitchen, so I can’t cook. The maids are very proud, so they won’t let me clean anything. It’s summer vacation; none of the teachers need papers graded.

I’m sitting in the den only partially paying attention to the TV. I had gone up to my room, but Bobby and Kitty were in there, so that was more than awkward. Logan didn’t think this through. I have to stay here, but that means I have to sleep in the same room.

I can’t believe I missed it. On the news, they’re showing the Golden Gate Bridge…or what’s left of it. They’ve managed to get some of it reconstructed within the past two weeks, but it looks awful. I feel a lump forming in my throat. I was a coward and left. If I had stayed, I could’ve been there with them, fighting. I could’ve seen Logan and I could’ve held him when it was over.

Maybe I could’ve absorbed Jean’s powers to stop her. And I throw a pretty good punch! I know I could’ve helped. But I wasn’t there. Hell, I even would’ve touched Magneto again if it meant I could stop the destruction. Bobby was there. Even Kitty was there. I wasn’t.

I hear the elevator door open, and Storm comes flying out. “SCOTT!” She races toward a door to my left and flings it open. “SCOTT! He’s alive! Charles is alive!”

What? Charles? Professor Xavier?! I quickly follow her into the office. She and Scott are hugging each other tightly, smiling and shedding tears of joy.

“How?” he asks, hoarsely.

“He must’ve transferred his energy before he died. I…I just got contact from Dr. MacTaggert…and-…” She stops when she notices my presence. “Rogue, will you go find Logan?”

I guess that’s her way of telling me to please leave because I’m a disgrace to mutant-kind. I nod and she turns back to Scott. I think Logan’s in his room. I climb the stairs and walk down the wide corridor lined by dormitories. The big looming doors at the end of the hallway lead to Xavier’s room. I’ve always wanted to go in there, just to see how he decorated it.

Logan’s door is shut. I knock and there’s no answer, so I let myself in. He’s got his backpack on the bed and he’s stuffing crumpled shirts into it. “I knocked…” Why did I say that?

He ignores me and continues to pack. I really want to know where he thinks he’s going, but I have other business with him right now. “Um, Logan, Storm wants to talk with you downstairs.”

No response.

“Professor Xavier’s alive.” He pauses and looks up at me. “He’s alive. I’m not sure what Storm was talking about. Something about a twin brother and mind transferring, but he’s alive.”

He briskly walks past me and out of the room. That was rude. I sigh and walk toward his bed. I cringe at the mess that he’s packed tightly into his bag. I remove all of the contents and begin to refold the shirts. My momma taught me that if you roll up shirts, they’re easier to fit in a small bag and they don’t wrinkle as badly. I press one of his flannel shirts to my nose and inhale deeply.

When I was little, my daddy would sometimes take me with him when he ran errands. Once in a while, I’d get to go with him to the smoke shop, and I remember loving the sweet, warm, suffocating, and spicy smell of the different kinds of cigars. Logan’s shirt reminds me of that scent. Logan smells like…warmth.

I find his cigar stash and put one in my mouth. Maybe someday I’ll smoke one with him. I put the cigar back, on the bottom row, and hope he doesn’t notice. He’s got a flask in here too. Whatever’s inside smells pungent and medicinal. What the hell, I’ll try it.

This stuff burns and it tastes awful. I’m getting a head rush. I screw the cap back on the silver bottle and shove it into the bag. I finish packing his things for him and tighten the leather flap. There’s an awful taste in my mouth, but strangely, I want more. I laugh a little when I think about how badly Logan could out-drink anybody. He can’t even get drunk, so it would be pretty funny to watch.

A few moments later, Logan comes back into the room, obviously worked up about something. He gives me an inquisitive look when he sees his bag. He takes off his jacket and tosses it on the bed. His plaid shirt follows. “You smell like Pike Creek, kid.”

“What?” I’m fascinated that the man standing in front of me allowed me to touch him. He’s gorgeous. I wish I could tell everyone that I’ve had him. Not supermodel Jean or exotic Storm, but me.

“The whiskey in my bag. You’ve been going through my stuff.” He doesn’t seem mad about it, though.

“I’m sorry. I thought I’d get your things ready for wherever you’re going.”

“Well, that trip’s on hold right now. We’re gonna get Xavier. Cyclops went to get the jet ready right now. They’ve transported him to a hospital in Washington, DC.”

“Oh…” This is a lot for me to absorb. Suddenly, Professor Xavier is back. Does that mean everything is going to be okay? I know I have no right to ask if I can go, but I still do it. “Can I come?”

The look he gives me makes me want to cry. It confirms all of my fears. “No, you need to stay here. We’ll be back…”

He walks out into the hallway and I want to call out to him, so badly, but my words are lodged in my throat. I heave myself onto the bed and plant a pillow over my face. This sucks.
Ice by RentonWild
Author's Notes:
Disclaimer: The X-Men and their likenesses belong to Marvel and Fox, not me.

I switched this one to omniscient POV because it fit better :)
She was awake, but she kept her eyelids closed. She wasn’t supposed to be here, but she was hoping that he wouldn’t notice. She heard the gentle chime of his tags and the creak of the floor under his weight. She felt the mattress shift and the heat radiating from his tired, anxious body. The hair on her neck arose.

“You know, kid, you’re really bad at pretending to be asleep,” he whispered. The skin that his breath reached lit afire.

“I’m sorry… I really did fall asleep earlier. I guess I lost track of time. I’ll go.” She scooted toward the edge of the bed, but he planted a firm grip on her arm.

“No, something’s troubling you. You’re afraid, I can smell it.”

“It’s nothing. Just the same thing as earlier. I’m bitching because I’m normal,” she desperately tried to make a joke. He pulled her back toward him, even closer this time. He leaned his chin against the crook of her neck and held her tightly around the waist.

“Kid, I think I get what you’re going through. And I don’t agree with the way Ro’s treating you, but you can’t let it get to you. This place is where you belong. Things will get better.” He reached up and twisted her streak of white hair between his fingers. “Trust me.”

Her heart pounded. She was so close to him, and it was wrong. Friends weren’t supposed to hold each other the way he held her. He allowed her to invade his senses. He couldn’t fight his instinct. He wanted revenge. He wanted to save her. He wanted to fuck her. He wanted to love her. He didn’t want to hurt her, yet he wanted to consume her. He wanted her to know that she was his. He was aroused and disgusted and terrified.

He made himself back off, and he tried to put as much frigidity into his words as possible. “You have to leave, now.”

His words surprised her, and she was assailed by shame and discomfort. “I-…I’m sorry. I’m sorry.” She quickly made her way toward the door, anger welling up inside her chest.

“Wait…” his command was quiet. “Come here.”

“So you can tell me to leave again?” she hissed.

“Just come here.” She gingerly approached the bed and climbed across the duvet, keeping a distance between their bodies. “Kid, there’s something I need you to know.”

She cringed at the word “kid” and prepared herself for the worst.

“You’re not safe.”

“What does that mean? You said that earlier. So what does it mean?”

“It means, you need to stay away from me.”

“Why?” She knew her affinity for that word was childish, but she was so used to saying it that she felt out of control.

“Because…” he looked her directly in the eyes, “I might hurt you.”

She was confused and frightened by his tone. There was fierceness to his dark eyes that she had never seen before. “I don’t understand.”

“Exactly,” he sighed. “You don’t.”

Her temper flared. “Then make me! Tell me what the hell you’re talking about, Logan. You’re scaring me.”

He rolled on top of her and pinned her hands above her head. “What’s mine is
mine.” Realizing that he was being too rough, he released his clutch and rubbed the bruised flesh soothingly. “Sometimes, I can’t take care of my things…”

Her breath was so short and strained that she was nearly gasping for air. “Your
things? You don’t own me, Logan…” She fought her way from his grasp, and tried to push him away. “Let me go… Let me go!”

He seized her wrists and trapped her with a kiss. She squirmed beneath him, and a cold tear rolled across her temple and tickled her ear. He freed her, almost maniacally saying, “I don’t want to hurt you…”

She felt so betrayed. The man lying next to her was brutal and ugly, an animal. She felt lost, and she reached out, “Logan…”

He brushed her off. “Leave.”

She stifled the urge to scream in frustration. “Logan, why are you doing this to me?”

“Because I liked it,” he replied, completely void of emotion. “You’re just a kid, and I destroyed you and I liked it. But it’s despicable, and Jesus Christ, it’s killing me inside…”

She suddenly understood. “Logan… I wanted it. You didn’t force me to do anything.”

“I should’ve told you to go back to bed,” he rationalized.

“Why?”

“Because…it’s not right.”

“Why?”

“Because…” he barked.

“Because you thought you wouldn’t feel anything? Because you wanted to be in control? You actually enjoyed it, and for some reason, that gives you an excuse to treat me like shit?”

“Look, you may be 18,” he argued, “but I’m a
helluva lot older than you, kid.”

“Fuck you, Logan.”

“You did, and now that’s the problem.”

She glared at him. “I’m not a child! And you’re involved in this, too, Logan. Maybe you should accept some responsibility and we’ll move on. You think you’re such a mystery, and you pride yourself on being different. But you know what? I’ve got you all figured out. It’s just hit me—everything is so clear now!”

“You don’t know anything about me!” he growled.

“No,
you don’t know anything about you! You want to be able to just take anything, to have anything, but you don’t want to owe anybody! I don’t need you, Logan! I didn’t come to you with any expectations! I just wanted somebody to touch me, and I knew you would. So stop acting like I’m some smitten lovesick puppy dog. You don’t have to let me down easy or put me out of my misery!”

“Keep your voice down,” he scolded.

“No! I’ve been quiet for too long. And now I know what I have to do.” She stormed out of the room and slammed the heavy mahogany door behind her. A framed painting of Central Park crashes to the floor.

His claws shred through his knuckles and he impales the mattress.
Plenty by RentonWild
Author's Notes:
Disclaimer: The X-Men and their likenesses belong to Marvel and Fox, not me.
I’m such an idiot. I can’t believe I thought that everything would be peachy keen. I feel so helpless, and it’s all my fault. Right now, I wish, more than anything, that Logan had stopped me that night in the hallway. I wish he’d told me to go upstairs and pack, like I’d expected. I wish he’d told me that I was perfect the way I was, just like Storm said. Why didn’t I listen to her? Who the hell am I to think that I know more than her? She’s never done anything but look out for my well being, so why did I think this time was any different?

Her door is ajar, and her light is on. It’s almost 2:00 in the morning, but nobody gets much sleep around here anymore. I knock softly, and she summons her visitor. She looks very surprised to see me, almost disappointed. “Rogue…” She sets the photo album that she was looking through onto her bed and fidgets with her shirt. “You should be in bed.”

“So should you,” I reply, weakly. “I’m sorry to bother you, I just need someone to talk to.”

“Oh,” she nods. “Well, this is more than unexpected… What’s troubling you?”

“Professor Munroe,” I begin, my voice shaking. “I know you’re upset with my decision…but I feel so…so….” That familiar choking feeling is in my throat, and my nose stings as I try to repress tears. “I feel really messed up and alone, and I just don’t know what to do. And, I mean, I know there are lot bigger problems than mine right now, and I know that the Professor’s back, but I need some guidance. And if it’ll make you any less mad at me, I regret what I did. So badly…”

She crosses the room and pulls me into a liberating embrace. She gently rubs my back and says, “Rogue, I am not mad at you. Nobody is mad at you. None of us can understand the pain you go through, knowing that you cannot touch people. We take it for granted; I’ll be the first to admit it. I just wanted to make sure that you knew how much you were cared for.”

“I just feel so lost,” I sob. “I can’t stay here, but I’ve got no where to go.”

“Rogue, look at me.” She places her hands firmly over my temples and I’m forced to meet her eyes. “No matter what kind of DNA you’ve got, you’re always welcome here. This is your home. This is your choice.”

I snivel and wipe my eyes, self-consciously. I’ve always thought I look pretty ugly when I cry. Storm squeezes my arms gently, and I know that she doesn’t hate me. “How’s the Professor?”

She sighs and looks away. “He’s alright. It’s so hard to get used to. He was gone one moment, and now he’s here. Why don’t you go say hello to him in the morning? I’m sure he’d like to see you.”

“Oh, no!” I protest. “It was hard enough for me to work up nerve to talk to you. I… I don’t think I could face him. Of all people, I’ve let him down the most.”

“Rogue, Charles believes in free will, and he will understand why you did what you did. Go to him. I know that he will give you peace of mind.”

I smile slightly, and she hugs me again. “Now, get some sleep. Tomorrow is a new day.”

“Okay. Thank you, Storm.” I make sure she comprehends my sincerity.

“Ororo,” she corrects me. “I consider you my colleague…and my friend. Good night, Rogue.”

She walks me to her door, and I thank her again. “Good night.”

If the decision is mine, then I’m going to make it. In my bathroom, I rummage through the drawer and retrieve a pair of scissors. I take a deep breath and begin to cut. Short strands of chocolate, red, and white hair fall haphazardly into the sink. I trim a good 6 inches, up to my shoulders. It’s kind of uneven, but I like it. I don’t worry one bit what anybody will think of it tomorrow.

It doesn’t matter, because I’ll be gone.

****************************************************************************

I take a deep breath as I approach the steel doors of the med lab… or what’s left of them. Dr. McCoy is toying with the IV that is hooked up to a tired and fragile looking bald man lying across a metal slab. His eyes are closed, but I get the feeling that he’s not sleeping. I pause at the threshold, waiting for permission to enter.

Professor Xavier opens his eyes and asks, “Rogue?”

Dr. McCoy turns around to question him, but sees me and understands. “Ah, Rogue. You’re up very early.”

“Yeah…” I shrug. “I… I just wanted to say goodbye, before everyone wakes up and bombards the Professor down here.”

“Goodbye?” the Professor processes the information. “You’re leaving.” It’s more of a statement than a question. He knows everything. He’s probably in my head right now.

“Yeah. Please don’t try to stop me. Just hear me out.”

Dr. McCoy looks back and forth between us, expecting Professor Xavier to intervene. Instead he replies, “Alright then.”

“Professor,” I begin. “I want you to know that I’m so very grateful for everything you’ve given me. This place has been my home, and you’ve done everything in your power to keep me safe. You’ve introduced me to amazing people, and you’ve given me the opportunity to live a good life as a mutant, instead of being an outcast. But, I was foolish…”

“You took the cure,” he sighs.

I need not ask how he knows. “I’m sorry. I thought it was what I wanted, but everything has gone wrong. So, I’ve decided that I have to leave. I don’t belong here anymore, but I just wanted to let you know that I’ll never forget what you’ve done for me.”

“Rogue,” he smiles warmly, “I am not mad at you. No need to stow away on a train.”

I can’t help but laugh. I ran the last time I thought he was angry. “I know… but this is what I feel is right. I’m sorry.”

“Please, Rogue, come here,” he reaches out his arm.

Cautiously, I walk toward him and grasp his hand. He has that proverbial twinkle in his eyes. His voice pervades my thoughts. You have always been strong. Great power lies ahead.

I frown in confusion, unsure of his meaning. He smiles and says, “Take care, dear Rogue.”

I hesitate, hoping he will explain his characteristically elusive words, but no luck. “Thank you, Professor. Good bye.”

****************************************************************************

I manage to avoid the people who will make my departure difficult—Bobby, Storm, and Logan. I walk through the front doors, and there is a car waiting. The chauffeur opens the door for me, and says, “Where am I taking you, Miss?”

I shake my head in astonishment. The Professor knew my plan, and he had arranged this for me. The driver takes my bag and places it in the trunk. I slide into the backseat, and he shuts the door. Once he settles into the driver seat, he glances into the rearview mirror and asks again, “Where to?”

I take one last look at the mansion and reply, “New Rochelle.”
Building a Mystery by RentonWild
Author's Notes:
Disclaimer: The X-Men and their likenesses belong to Marvel and Fox, not me.


Rogue gets a surprise in this one. Guess who!
Seven months later, New Orleans, Louisiana...

The music is deafening. The lights are so blinding that the faces, only a few feet in front of me, are completely indistinguishable. I like it that way, though. I don’t want to see their expressions. I’d lose my nerve. I bend ford, giving then a glimpse of what’s under my corset, plant my hands on the cold black floor, and slowly lower myself into the side-splits. My legs are spread-eagle. I swing my legs forward and stretch them toward me, so they’re parallel to my torso. I’m really grateful for those ballet classes my momma forced me into. I do a flirtatious set of kicks and then roll onto my knees. I hop up and my legs form a triangle with the stage. I seductively slip my hands from my ankles to my calves to my thighs and dangerously close to that somethin’ all these strangers are hoping to see. In one quick snap, I stand straight up and slink toward the pole. I toss my head back and let my hair rest across my shoulders. I place my hands on the pole, facing away from the audience of horny, lonely men, and sway my hips back and forth.

I’ve been up here for 20 minutes. I’ve got my signature move left, and then I can head home. Using all the upper arm strength I can muster, I pull myself up, climbing the pole just slightly. Leaning toward the right, just a little, I let gravity and momentum capture me in a brief spin. I always stop so that I’m facing the curtain, then fall into a back-bend, push myself all the way over, and land in the side-splits. I figure I’ll give ‘em one last look at sexiest asset, no pun intended.

I smile sweetly and wink as I pick up the bills scattered all across the stage. Ugh, some jackass gave me a five. I walk “backstage” and tear my wig off. When I got hired here, Rusty, the boss, told me that I was a “hot piece of ass”, but the white thing wasn’t going to work. So, I borrowed a blonde wig from Kimber. The sad thing is, that’s her real name.

I change into my jeans and a tank top and brush my hair out. I pull it into a ponytail and slip on my sweater. I viciously attack my lipstick with a Kleenex and makeup remover. I head out to the main part of the club and meet up with Rusty behind the bar. “Hey, Sugar…”

Hey, sugah…” I grin. I reach into my bag and pull out my tips from tonight.

“How much you got there?” he takes the bundle from me and starts to count, quickly. While I wait, I scan the club, out of habit. For some reason, my eyes linger on a particular guy at a table towards the back. Why does he seem so familiar? He sips his drink and looks in my direction. “One thousand nine fifty, two thousand, two thousand 20. Two thousand 40.”

I turn my attention back to my boss. “Huh?”

“Two thousand 40…” He pulls his trademark calculator from his pocket and his fingers fly across the buttons. He takes his share, plus what’s due to Turo (the bartender) and our human security system, George. “Okay, Sugar, it looks like you’re getting a thousand.”

“Wow,” I pretend to be happy. Usually I can get at least $1800, but it’s been a slow night for some reason. He hands me a stack of twenties, and I count them. Yep, fifty. “Thanks, Rusty.”

He smacks me on the butt and tells me to have a good night. Normally, the idea of a guy smacking me on the ass makes me livid, but when Rusty does it, it’s not demeaning. It’s more friendly and…caring? Rusty takes good care of us. He usually gives us a little over half of what we make, which is generous, considering the fact that The Peach Tree isn’t exactly the most popular strip club in town. Also, most of us don’t mind giving him a little extra. He’s got his dad living with him, and his wife’s a waitress at the 24-hour diner up the street. His dad’s a war vet, and he’s got a million medical problems, but he’s so sweet. His stories are amazing. During the day, business is slow, so all of us girls gather around to listen to ol’ Mr. Cooper.

Okay, so it’s not that spectacular of a job, but at least I can go home and sleep at night. And if any creeps manage to get pass the bouncer, we have plenty of people to take care of us. Plus, the money I make gets me a roof over my head. I live six blocks away in a pretty crappy apartment. I share it with 3 other girls, and there are only 2 bedrooms and one bath. I don’t talk to them much, but we get along.

“’Night, George,” I shout as I approach the exit. He nods in response. That’s George for you.

The air is cool for May. I breathe in deeply and stuff my hands into my pockets. I always walk quickly, and I always switch up my route. I’ve learned how to protect myself. I still remember a few combat techniques from when… when I was being trained for the X-Men. The streets are bright, and there’s a gas station on the corner. I hear the clink of a tin can hitting the ground, and a cat meow. I turn my head slightly and accelerate my pace. There’s another sound. Spurs…on heavy boots. My blood freezes. There’s a gush of wind and a flash of red sparks hit the garbage can a few feet ahead, and it explodes. I try to run, but a hand covered by fingerless gloves grabs me from behind and I’m dragged into darkness.




Xavier’s School

Logan threw a punch and growled. His claws tore free and sliced ferociously. Sweat beads burned his eyes and his veins threatened to escape from beneath his skin. He let out a visceral roar and struck one last time. His chest heaved, and the punching bag squeaked pathetically, swinging violently and spinning back and forth.

The room was large and decorated sparsely. The floors were stripped wood, and there was a large mirror on the wall. There were no curtains on the windows, and the early morning light unfolded itself across the space. Sun particles danced through the white and yellow rays. Logan picked up the tattered jump rope off the floor and began to do his sets. The floorboards groaned loudly under his weight. He watched himself in the mirror and bared his teeth. His breathing became more and more labored, but he kept going. Finally, he threw the rope down, ran toward the mirror, and sank his claws into the glass. Glistening shards dug into his hands, but his wounds quickly healed and the shrapnel fell to the floor. The cracks surrounding the impact swelled and extended, reaching all the way to the wall. Logan backed away and watched the entire mirror come crashing down.

Within seconds, the door flew open and Storm ran in, followed by Scott, Bishop, and Kurt. “What the…?”

Logan cracked the muscles in his neck and shoved his way out of the room. He heard Scott mutter, “Asshole.”

Logan made a beeline for Xavier’s office downstairs. When he opened the door, he found Professor X seated at his desk, overlooking some paperwork with a new arrival to the institute. He would only refer to her as Tessa, but Logan didn’t give a shit about the details. She was hot in a naughty school teacher kind of way. Hank sat on the couch, cleaning his glasses.

“Ah, Logan,” Charles greeted. “I was just thinking about a change of scenery in the gymnasium. I’m glad to see that you would like to help.”

Logan cocked a brow. “You’re welcome. Any word yet on Magneto’s whereabouts?”

“He was spotted in Quebec,” Tessa replied, hopping onto the desk and crossing her legs. She adjusted her glasses. “He got word of a young mutant with powers that he found useful, as usual.”

He turned toward Beast. “How do the numbers look for the cure?”

“The rates of regeneration are astounding. There has been a pattern established, however. It seems that only Class 4 and above can make a complete recovery.” Hank thanked Kitty for the tray of tea she brought in, and then continued. “Magneto was an isolated case. His powers were regained so quickly, within a matter of weeks, and it is such an extreme compared to the cases we’re seeing. Five months, six months…”

“I believe it may be connected to a mutant’s knowledge and acceptance of their power…” Charles added. He stirred sugar into his tea and tapped the teaspoon twice on the rim of the cup.

“What do you mean?” Logan furrowed his brow.

“Well,” Hank continued, “it seems that the individuals who were involuntarily administered the cure, especially Magneto and Mystique, proved more resistant to the gene suppression. It is as if they fought the antidote, and they won.”

Logan cleared his throat. “So what about Rogue?”

Kitty dropped her cup and saucer. They clattered noisily against the hardwood floor. “Um, sorry…” she stammered, immediately dropping to her knees to clean up the mess. Storm, who had just entered the room, offered to help.

Logan eyed Kitty suspiciously and resumed his investigation. “What’s going to happen to her?”

“I am happy to inform you, Logan,” Charles announced, “that Rogue is a Class 4 mutant. But, she is afraid of her powers. If she chooses, she could never recover.”

There was silence. “Where is she?” Logan asked.

“I do not know,” Charles sighed. He had had this conversation many times with Logan, and he always gave the same answer.

“Bullshit,” Logan argued.

“Logan, before she left, Rogue asked for my blessing. I gave it to her. I gave her the space and freedom she desired, and I am not going to betray that trust,” Charles explained.

“She could be in trouble!” Logan roared.

“She’s safe and sound,” Charles assured.

“Then you
do know where she is!”

Charles smiled mischievously. “Kitty, this tea is most enjoyable. Do I taste a hint of lemon?”

“It’s lemon ginger,” Kitty replied.

Logan looked disgusted by the exchange. “Look, either you tell me where she is, or I’ll have to find out myself.”

“Logan,” Storm chimed in. “If you leave to look for her, you could put her in unnecessary danger. I think you should just stay here and wait. Rogue’s a smart girl, and she can take care of herself.”

Logan snorted in contempt. “Yeah, well she never should’ve left.” He stalked out of the room.

Kitty looked down at the floor, sadly. Charles noticed her gesture. “Kitty, it wasn’t your fault. A Rogue will always wander.”
Surfacing by RentonWild
Author's Notes:
Disclaimer: The X-Men and their likenesses belong to Marvel and Fox, not me.
She reached for a blanket. There was a strong breeze coming through the open window. Her hand searched blindly. She opened her eyes, and the memories flooded back. She sat up in the bed, frantically looking around in the dark blue of the night, searching for some sign of where she was. She gasped in horror when she saw red eyes looming in the shadows of the room. Instinctively, she climbed backwards, but she was stopped by the headboard. The eyes moved toward her.

A man stood before her, tall, dark, and handsome. He was flipping a card across his knuckles, back and forth. His hair was rather long, and those eyes… they bore into her. She wanted to scream. It was the man she had seen earlier, at the club, only without the sunglasses.

“Who…who are you?” she asked, her voice thick and hoarse with sleep and fear.

“No worries, cherie, you’ll find out soon enough.” His words were tainted with an accent, characteristic of a New Orleans native. “She’s awake!” he called.

The next person to enter the room was no stranger to Rogue. She could not stifle a cry when she saw Mystique. Her eyes quickly narrowed and she hissed, “What are you doing here?”

Mystique smiled, her white teeth contrasting greatly with her indigo skin. “We’ll get to the small talk later. Right now, I think we have some things in common.”

“What could I possibly have in common with you?” Rogue shot back.

Mystique’s smile faded. “Betrayal. Abandonment.” She moved closer to Rogue. “You hate Magneto…and so do I.”

Rogue blinked. “What are you talking about?” She hugged her knees close to her chest.

Mystique explained the events that had occurred before the incident at Alcatraz. “He left me for dead and persecution, and now I have a bone to pick. You took the cure of your own free will, but you can redeem yourself in the eyes of our kind, Rogue.”

“I’m not ashamed of what I did,” she contended. She knew it was a lie.

“No? Then why did you run? I fought to get my powers back, and so will you.”

“No!” Rogue shook her head furiously. “I’m cured. I’m never going back to being an X-man.”

Mystique smirked. “No, but you can come with me. You are a powerful mutant, Rogue. You can become anything you desire with one touch. You could be great. One day, you could be more powerful than Charles Xavier.”

“Stop it!” Rogue screamed. “You’re evil! You kill people to get what you want! You hate humans! I’ll never go with you!”

Malicious laughter filled the room. “You don’t have a choice. I came for you, and I’m not leaving without you.”

“Why? I’m powerless! Why can’t you leave me alone?”

“Au contraire; you are very powerful,” the Cajun finally spoke.

“Shut up, Gambit,” Mystique chided.

“I still don’t know who the hell you are.” Rogue now knew that his name was Gambit, but she wanted to know what his purpose was.

“Like I said; small talk, later.” Mystique seemed like she was in a rush, pressured by an invisible clock. “Rogue, you have to trust me.”

“What?” she scoffed. “You want me to trust you? Why?”

“There is a prophecy. A great oracle revealed something to me about you. If you come with me, I can show you what it feels like to be unstoppable.”

“But you tried to kill me.”

“No, Erik tried to kill you. I was just a spectator.”

“But you want to destroy humans.”

Mystique shrugged. “I’m over that vendetta for now. I’ve got my sights set on something else. I want Magneto dead.”

The man she had called Gambit continued to toy with his card. He caught Rogue looking at him, and the card in his hand was enveloped in a red glow. Rogue gasped. It was beautiful and scary all at the same time.

“You want me to kill him?” Rogue turned back to Mystique.

“I want you to help me. Like I said, we have some common interests.”

“But you never use your powers against another mutant. I learned that a long time ago. And if you make me do this, I’ll be just as degenerate as you.”

“There is no shame in doing whatever it takes to protect your kind,” her yellow eyes tapered with anger. “Even if that means you have to use a little…friendly fire.”

Gambit chuckled.

“But how many have to die for you to feel safe?”

There was a slimy sound as Mystique transformed. Rogue inhaled sharply. Logan. “Maybe I can convince you, kid? How many do I have to kill to get my justice?”

“That’s not funny!” she hurled the alarm clock at the mimic. He quickly sliced it to shreds. Mystique changed back to her true form.

“Your precious Wolverine is no different that myself or Magneto. He kills to get what he wants. There is no black and white in our world.”

Rogue was silent for a long time. “Let’s say I do go with you. Where are we going?”

“San Francisco.”

“Why? What’s there?”

“Someone Mystique needs to have a chat with,” Gambit smirked.

“How long am I going to be with you?”

“As long as it takes.”

“And…when you finish your business, you’ll let me go?”

Gambit laughed. Mystique shot him a glare. “Yes… I’ll let you go.”

The next morning, they checked out of the motel and piled into a truck. Mystique chose the form of an attractive middle-aged blonde woman, and Gambit wore sunglasses to hide his red eyes. They stopped at Rogue’s apartment, where she gathered most of her things, including her stash of money. She left a note and her final share of the rent on the kitchen table.

Rogue kept quiet as they drove along the interstates. She had no idea what she had gotten herself into. She didn’t necessarily want to be involved in killing mutant traitors, but she was curious about the prophecy Mystique mentioned. She imagined that she was going to become a mutant queen, ruler of all.

Throughout the trip, they stopped periodically to pick up other mutants, progressing from one truck to a convoy. Rogue got used to the speech she was supposed to give about betrayal, mutant honor, and that lovely shade of gray. She made new friends, and she felt an acceptance comparable to her first few days at Xavier’s mansion. She especially liked Gambit.

She discovered that his real name was Remy LeBeau, and, unfortunately, he was married. But, he had killed his wife’s brother, because the idiot challenged a Southern boy to a duel, so the relationship was technically over. He showed interest in Rogue, and he taught her to pick pockets and locks. She thought Logan was a bad-boy, but Remy was something else. He confessed that Mystique had seduced him, and he had nothing else to do, so he joined her.

It took them two weeks to get to San Francisco. They staked out an abandoned warehouse. Mystique urged Rogue to practice a series of meditations to try and engage her powers. Rogue became the designated source of food. She had started off the trip with close to $7,500; therefore she paid for meals, gas for the truck, and supplies.

It was a little before sunset when Mystique approached Rogue. She told her that she had a mission and she needed Rogue’s help. They drove toward a nice residential area and parked. “Now, repeat it one more time.”

Rogue sighed. “I’m a Jehovah’s Witness, and I force my way into her house. I distract her long enough for you to slip through the upstairs window, and attack her from behind in the living room.”

“Good,” Mystique smiled.

“I don’t see why we can’t just go up to her and ask if she wants to help,” Rogue mused. “I mean, she hates Magneto just like the rest of us.”

“Carol’s got a bit of resentment towards me.” Mystique checks the rearview mirror and then looks back at the San Franciscan townhouse.

Suddenly Rogue felt uneasy about this mission. “What kind of resentment?”

“The kind that’s going to maker her difficult to persuade. Here she comes!”

Rogue took a deep breath and popped up the lock on the door. She carefully made her way toward the tall blonde woman carrying a bag of groceries. “Ex-..Excuse me!” she called.

The woman ignored her, climbing the steps to her home and fumbling in her purse for her keys.

“Excuse me!” Rogue called again.

Carol Danvers turned to identify the source of the greeting. “Can I help you?” she asked, out of breath.

“I won’t take much of your time, Ma’am. I just wanted to talk to you about the path to salvation.”

Carol quickly registered what was going on, and she smiled. “Oh, no thank you. I’m not interested. If you wait right there, I’ll be back with a donation.”

Rogue shook her head. “No, ma’am. Really that’s not necessary. I promise that I won’t take too much time.”

Carol rolled her eyes in exasperation. “Alright, just wait on the steps and I’ll be right back. Let me put my groceries down, at least!”

She jogged into her house, kicking the door closed behind her. Rogue waited patiently on the top step, her heart pounding. She had a terrible feeling in the pit of her stomach. She nervously looked around for Mystique and spotted the truck. It was empty. Mystique was already in motion.

The door opened, and Carol Danvers put on her glasses. “Now, where were we?”

Rogue made up a speech about going to Heaven and the Bible, as best as she could. She reached back to her Sunday school days. “You know, I really think people forget the true meaning of Christmas…”

Carol looked at her funny. “Christmas? I thought you guys don’t celebrate Christmas?”

Rogue nearly choked. “Um…”

She didn’t need to explain any further, because in a fell swoop, Mystique pulled Carol into the house. Rogue quickly ran inside and shut the door. Mystique had a solid grip on Carol’s throat, but the woman fought back. Rogue felt like a deer caught in the headlights as she watched the two women struggle, shattering glass, picture frames, and knocking over vases.

“Don’t just stand there!” Mystique ordered. “Help me!”

Carol Danvers’ glasses were askew, so she threw them off. Rogue retrieved the rod iron poker from the caddy by the fireplace, and swung toward Carol. She was too quick however, anticipating Rogue’s move. She ducked, and the metal struck Mystique. There was a sickening crack, and Mystique fell to the floor. Rogue panicked.

Carol turned toward her, her eyes set ablaze. Rogue dropped the tool and ran toward the door. She wasn’t fast enough, and Carol tackled her. She punched her in the face, the stomach, and the ribs. Rogue gasped for air and fought to regain her strength. Carol grabbed Rogue’s shoulders and slammed her head against the hardwood floor.

The pain was so blinding that Rogue felt nausea rising through her chest. Carol stood up and ran toward her hutch. She grabbed a cell phone and began to dial. Rogue’s vision was blurred, but she saw Mystique lying on the floor, a river of blood seeping away from her ears and mouth. Rogue rolled over onto her stomach and pushed herself up. “No…no!” her voice was a whisper.

She trudged toward Carol, who dropped the phone and threw a glass paperweight in Rogue’s direction. It skimmed her shoulder, but it stung. With all the force she could muster, Rogue planted her fist into Carol’s jaw. The older woman looked stunned. It was the beginning of the end.

They clutched each other, respectively fighting for the upper hand. Carol was strong, extremely strong, but she held back. The girl in front of her was young, only 18 or so. “Give up!”

“No!” Rogue persisted.

“I’m warning you!” Carol cautioned.

“NO!” Rogue dug her nails into Carol’s cheek. Carol shoved Rogue with all her might, and the girl flew through the glass doors to the small back yard. Rogue felt as if the wind had been knocked out of her. She had no time to recover, because Carol grabbed her by the collar.

Rogue realized that they were airborne. She screamed and fought, as the wind whipped her face. She felt herself falling, and she landed with a thud on cold concrete. Carol planted her foot on Rogue’s chest and glared down at her. “Give. Up.”

Rogue panted. “NO!” She slipped from Carol’s grasp. She grabbed her blonde hair and tugged viciously. Carol spun around and adhered her hands to Rogue’s neck. She forced her backwards toward the block wall. Rogue felt the concrete sink into the small of her back, and she frantically looked around. She was on a tower of some sort, and she was about to be thrown to her death.

You have always been strong. Great power lies ahead.

Carol Danvers’ cruel gaze disappeared. Her mouth went slack and thick gray veins appeared across her face. Rogue felt the familiar surge, the screeching sounds throughout her mind. By the time she realized what was happening, it was too late.

“Let go…” Rogue pleaded, her voice was gravelly. “Let go.”

Rogue had never held the contact for this long before, save for Magneto. “Stop it,” she sputtered. “Stop!”

Carol screamed and crumpled to the floor. Rogue lost her balance and fell backwards. Her mind raced, and she desperately reached for something to break the fall. Suddenly her speed slowed, and she discovered that her attempts to turn her body were successful. She stopped herself a few meager inches from the ground. She stood on her feet and took a moment to reclaim her bearings.

“Where am I?”


Salem Center, New York

Charles Xavier dropped the chess piece from his hands. He stared straight ahead, his eyes glazing over.

“Professor? Professor, are you alright?” urged Bobby. He waved his hand in front of the Professor’s gaze.

Logan took notice of the Professor’s sudden change in behavior, and abruptly rose from the couch in the den. “You okay, Chuck?”

“Rogue…” the Professor muttered. The name seized everyone’s attention.

The color drained from Logan’s face. “What is it? What happened?” He grabbed Xavier’s shoulders and shook him. “What happened?”

Storm pried Logan’s hands from the Professor. “Stop it! Charles, what’s wrong? Say something!”

He finally spoke again. “Something terrible has happened.”

“Where is she?” Logan shouted.

“I don’t know… I can’t find her. I can’t find her thoughts.”

“She’s dead?” asked Bobby, panicking. Logan’s nostrils flared and his body was tense with rage.

“No,” Charles explained. “Much worse. She’s lost her consciousness.”
Solace by RentonWild
Author's Notes:
Disclaimer: The X-men and their likenesses belong to Marvel and 20th Century Fox, not me.
Ground. Trees. Building. No, not a building, a tower. Concrete. Statue. Cars. Footsteps. Leaves. “Oh my God…are you alright?” No, I’m not. Running. Shouting. Run faster. Just think. What happened? Work. Home. Girl. Mystique. Girl. Me. Me? Think. I am Carol Danvers. I am 34 years old. I am…Marie. Marie? Who is Marie? Think. Where am I going? Dark. Very dark. Help me. Who are you? What was that? Telegraph Hill Blvd. I need help. I have to get home. Where?

I am Marie D’Ancanto. I am 18 years and 11 months old. I am Carol Danvers. I am 34 years old. I was born in Meridian. I was born in Boston. No. That’s not right. Leave me alone. Help me. Filbert Street. Home. How do I get home? Just think.

**********************

“Early this morning, authorities arrived at the home of Carol Danvers, popular editor of ‘Woman Magazine’, only to find it vandalized. Neighbors reported hearing a disturbance around 7pm last night. Carol was nowhere inside the house, and this case is now being considered as a possible kidnapping. Blood stains were discovered on the carpet, and preliminary forensic testing has detected foreign DNA, leading authorities to believe that this was the work of a mutant terrorist group.”

Scott turned off the television and tossed the remote onto the coffee table in disgust. “Mutant terrorists? This can’t be good.”

“Who would want to harm Carol?” Storm shook her head. “Especially one of us?”

“I’d put my money on Mystique or Magneto,” Hank deduced. “They were her most outspoken enemies.”

“No, no,” Charles countered. “Erik was not responsible for this.”

“Then it was that scaly bitch,” Logan announced. “That settles it. So what now? You gonna ask us to go find her? Suit up in our X-men gear and play the hero?”

“What’s your problem?” Scott rose from the couch, sizing up Logan.

“You’re one of ‘em, Bub.” He hooked his paws on Scott’s collar.

“Boys!” Storm stepped between them. “This is not the time.”

“Look, Rogue’s in trouble. We have to help her. Professor, do you think she had anything to do with this? It’s kind of weird that you felt that disturbance and then the next morning Ms. Marvel isn’t feeling so marvelous.” Bobby’s deep concern was a surprise.

“I do not know,” Professor Xavier closed his eyes.

“What
do you know?” hissed Logan.

“If you find my methods taxing, Logan, you are welcome to-…”

“Yeah, I do. You show up and you know that she’s gonna leave, and you don’t tell me. You knew where she was heading, and you didn’t even try to stop her.”

Charles raised his head and looked at Logan, coldly. “As I said before, I do not have to explain myself to you.”

“Look,” Jubilee interrupted the hostile exchange. “Even if we are going to go after Mystique, find Ms. Marvel, and rescue Rogue, we don’t have a clue where to look.”

“When was the last time you had contact with Rogue? Her thoughts gave no indication of her being in trouble?” Hank paced back and forth, notably irritating Logan.

“The only anxiety I could discern was a, reasonable, fear of walk-…”

“Professor!” Tessa hurried into the room, shuffling to keep herself steady on the slick wood floor. She was out of breath, and her glasses had slipped down her nose. “Professor, there’s a phone call I really think you need to take.”

Charles asked no questions, and guided his wheelchair into his office. Tessa rushed past him to the desk and handed him the receiver. Logan and Scott tried to enter the room at the same time and wedged themselves in the doorframe. Logan growled and forced his way through, earning an expletive from Scott and a parade of rolling eyes.

“Charles Xavier,” the Professor held up his hand to silence the disruption. “Yes?” His face turned dark and sober. “Where are you? … You are not safe… No, don’t do that. It is very important that you stay exactly where you are. I’m going to contact someone. She will come to you. She is the only immediate help I can give you… Yes, but you will have somewhere to go until I can send my team… Do not speak to anyone. It was unwise for you to call here… Hello?” The pause in the conversation lingered. Charles’ expression was one of astonishment and deliberation.

“Professor, what is it?” Scott folded his arms across his chest.

A muffled dial tone could now be heard, and Charles slowly moved the phone away from his ear. “That…was Carol Danvers.”

Tessa looked markedly confused. “Professor, are you cert-…?” Charles closed his eyes, and Tessa gasped, “Oh!”

“Looks like we’re going to San Francisco!” Jubilee could hardly contain her excitement. Her exclamation was met with dissent, and she weakly added. “Uh, I’ve never been there?”

Quietly and with a distance, Bobby spoke. “We have.”

--------------------------------------------------------------

“Miss? Excuse me, Miss? You can’t sleep here.” A tall man in a blue uniform gently shook the young woman lying on the bench. “This is a bus stop, not a hotel.”

Rogue opened her eyes and groggily looked up at him. She yawned and stretched her arms. “Where am I?”

“A bus stop,” his voice was drenched with irritation. “Look, kid, you got a dollar and this bus’ll take you anywhere you want, including the Four Seasons. You can take a nap there, but you can’t sleep on that bench.”

“I don’t have a dollar,” she explained.

“Well, I’m sorry about that. When I drove my route this morning, I saw you lying there, and I didn’t do nothing. The second time, you were usin’ a phone, so I didn’t do nothing then either. But this is the third time I’ve come around, and you’re still here. Either take a hike or get on the bus and hope you come up with some money.”

She hissed in pain and clutched her head. The driver’s attitude changed. “Hey, are you okay?” He reached out a hand toward her, but she screamed.

“Get away from me!” She jumped up from the metal grating of the bench and stumbled.

“Lady, what the hell is your problem?”

Across the street, a woman with fuchsia hair, a sternum piercing, and thick black studded boots exited a coffee shop. She ran toward the screaming girl and the bus driver. “What’s going on here?”

“I don’t know! This bitch is crazy! You take care of it!” He climbed the steps into his bus and quickly shut the door. The bus creaked as it rolled away, and the motor purred loudly. Dusty wind kicked up leaves, and the woman shielded her eyes as she crouched down.

“Hey…hey,” she soothed, placing a hand on Rogue’s shoulder.

Rogue instinctively tore away. “Don’t touch me!”

“Relax! I’m not going to hurt you. My name is Alison. Alison Blaire. I’m going to help you, okay? You’re Rogue, aren’t you?”

Rogue blinked. “I don’t know.” She sobbed, fretfully rubbing her upper arms.

“Do you remember Charles Xavier? You were his student. You called him this morning, and he sent me to find you.” She had gained enough trust to pull Rogue to her feet. “Do you remember Charles? Can you tell me about what happened? Rogue, it’s okay. You can trust me.”

Rogue eyed her apprehensively as they followed the sidewalk. Alison asked her many questions, trying to get a coherent response, but she remained quiet. Her disorientation spread to her feet, and she occasionally lurched, nearly capsizing Alison. They reached a large tattered-looking building. There was a small rust colored metal door next to a cigarette shop, and Alison pushed it open with a good shove.

They were standing in a foyer. Directly in front of them was a flight of stairs, gaping holes decorating the greenish wood. Just off to the right, next to the banister, there was a long dimly lit hallway. Doors sat wide open and children were screaming. At the end of the corridor, there was a small office. A large woman had stuffed herself into a chair, and the light from a TV danced across her face.

“This way,” Alison called. They climbed three sets of steps and stopped at the first door on the left. Alison dug a key ring from her pocket and unlocked the door. “Home sweet home.”

Rogue sat on the lime green couch. The entire apartment was one room, save for a small bathroom with a ridiculously tiny shower. The walls were stained, and an orange blanket with moth holes served as a curtain for the window: the window with a lovely view of aluminum siding. The kitchenette was a sink, a microwave, a tall slim pantry, and a mini-fridge. In the farthest corner of the room, there was a pathetic mattress covered with blankets and a deflated pillow.

A fat gray tabby lounged on top of the space heater, his tail lazily swishing back and forth. Rogue sighed and leaned her head against the back of the sofa. Alison handed her a glass of water and some crackers with bologna and cheese. “It’s the ham and Swiss for the starving musician,” she smiled.

Rogue nibbled politely at her food, but she wasn’t hungry. Alison watched her intently for a while, giving her time to adjust. “I like your hair.”

“What?”

“I like your hair,” Alison gestured toward the frame of her face. “The white. It’s cool.”

Rogue frowned. “My hair is blonde…”

Alison’s eyes widened. “So, um, how long have you been in the city?”

“I’ve lived here for 5 years,” Rogue replied. “I’m the editor of
Woman Magazine. Have you heard of it?”

“Yeah,” Alison nodded. “Yeah, I’ve heard of it. So you’re
the Carol Danvers, huh?”

“Yes. What do you do?” Rogue sipped her water and picked lint from her jeans.

“I…play guitar and sing in a local band. In fact, I’ve got a show tonight.”

“Really? How interesting. What about a real job?”

Alison snorted. “Oh, jeez. Is your other personality like this?”

“Excuse me?”

“Nothing… So, listen. I have to go to rehearsal. I’m going to leave you here. Don’t open the door for anyone. I don’t know when Charles is going to be here, so you’ll probably be spending the night. Lock the door behind me.”

“Okay.”

“Here’s my bassist’s cell phone number,” Alison scribbled on the back of a take-out menu. “Call me if you need anything. Let’s see…it’s 3:30. I’ll come back before I head off to the show. Like I said, don’t open the door for anybody. This is the safest place for you.”

Rogue nodded, and Alison retrieved the black gig bag that was leaning against the foil-covered television. “I’ll be back. Lock the door!”

Once the door had shut, Alison’s muffled voice repeated, “Lock the door!” Rogue forced herself from the couch and latched the chain. She turned the knob on the deadbolt, and pushed the button in on the door handle.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Rogue felt a strange weight on her stomach. It was moving…and jingling. She opened one eye and saw two chartreuse orbs staring back at her. There was a calm rumbling sensation and something was massaging her chest. She smiled. Alison’s cat had hopped onto her lap and was kneading her, fluffing her like a pillow. He purred loudly and his wet nose nuzzled the soft cotton of her t-shirt. “Why hello there handsome…”

She scratched under the tabby’s chin. “What’s your name?” She grasped the gold tag hanging from his blue collar and read, “Brando… Hmm, interesting. When I was little, we had a calico named Butter. I bet you would’ve had a crush on her.”

Brando meowed loudly and leapt onto the floor. He wandered to the door and sat, staring upwards. “What is it?”

Rogue sluggishly rolled off the couch, and walked toward the door. She looked through the peephole, and the hallway was empty. Brando continued to meow. She undid all of the locks and twisted the knob, and the shabby door opened with an eerie groan. She stepped out into the corridor, and Brando ran past her down the stairs. “SHIT! Brando! Come back here!”

She raced after the smoke-colored cat, trying to keep up with his swift pace. She halted in her tracks when she reached the very bottom step. The door to the building was sitting wide open. Brando happily trotted out, but Rogue’s blood froze. Something…wasn’t right.

“Mon petite fleur… Don’t look so scared.” That voice. It was familiar. She slowly turned to the left and saw him leaning against the wall in the shadows. He would’ve been completely undetectable if it wasn’t for those eyes. She stifled a scream and fled, up the stairs. He was close behind her. She threw herself over the threshold of the apartment and slammed the door, her fingers clumsily maneuvering the locks.

She turned and was met with another pair of eyes. They were piercing blue. They belonged to an old, weathered, and wise face. “Rogue…”

“What do you want from me?” She yelped when she heard a loud snapping noise behind her, like fireworks. The door swung open and Gambit loomed.

“Rogue, what did you do to Carol?” She turned back to the white-haired man.

“What are you talking about? I
am Carol!”

A smile spread across Magneto’s face. “Oh, you poor,
poor girl. Peter?”

Rogue felt a sharp sting in her neck, and everything faded to a blur.
Witness by RentonWild
Author's Notes:
Disclaimer: The X-Men and their likenesses belong to Marvel and Fox, not me.
The floor was cold and rutted. A steady humming rang through her ears. She fought to open her eyes, but they were so heavy. They burned. There was someone with her, sitting a few feet away. She could sense that she was being watched. There was a dull ache in her bones, and her wrists were bound with heavy wires. Her throat was parched, and her stomach angrily demanded sustenance. Hazily she asked, “Where am I?”

Fabric rustled and a musky scent of Bourbon singed her nose. “Hush… sleep, now. We gotta long way to go.”

“Remy?” she whispered.

He leaned closer. “You still in there, Rogue?”

“Help me,” she whimpered. “Please.”

“Sleep. Don’t worry, I won’t let nothing bad happen to you.”

She closed her eyes and a tear slipped across the bridge of her nose and tapped the metal floor. “Logan…”

***************************************

Wolverine roared and drilled his claws into the wall. The X-Men were standing in Alison Blaire’s disheveled apartment. Cyclops was examining the melted locks on the door, while Storm conducted the interrogation.

“How could you leave her here? You knew she was in danger!”

“I’m sorry!” Alison sat on the couch holding Brando. “How was I supposed to know that this would happen?”

“Charles is very disappointed in you. He told you to protect her. He trusted you, Alison,” Storm’s angry eyes were a vibrant blue.

“Look, I know I fucked up, okay? I don’t need a lecture! This isn’t going to help you find her! Besides, she called you this morning. What the hell took you so long?”

Logan towered over Alison, tightening his fists. “If you make up one more excuse, I’m gonna rip that ring out of your nose.”

“Logan, that’s enough. Alison, I need to know if anybody saw you bring Rogue here. Do you remember seeing anyone unusual?” Storm urged.

“I don’t know… I walked her here. She was walking like a drunk and mumbling a lot of weird shit, so I wasn’t exactly paying attention.”

There was a high-pitched ringing, and Scott fished a small cell phone from his pocket. “Yeah? … Where? … How did he find her? … Who’s he with? What are we looking at? … Only two? Why? … I’ll contact you once we get to the jet.” He placed the phone back in his pocket. “That was Hank. He said that a half-hour ago, an unidentified and unauthorized jet aircraft was seen taking off in the middle of Golden Gate Park. Witnesses reported seeing lampposts bending and their electronic devices went haywire.”

“Magneto,” Logan confirmed. “How the
hell did he find her?”

“I dunno. But we have to get going. Hank’s working on tracking Magneto’s jet. We can catch up to him and follow.”

“Alison, you need to come with us.” Storm snooped around the apartment. “Do you have a suitcase or anything?”

“What? I can’t leave! This is my home!” Alison clutched Brando protectively.

“You are no longer safe here. We can’t take any chances. Pack your things, quickly. We have to leave, now.”

Alison sighed and gathered up her clothes, grumbling the entire time. She managed to fit her possessions into a large duffel bag. Logan grabbed a beer out of her fridge and knocked it back in one toss. Scott made a quip about drinking on the job, and Logan insulted his manhood. The team waited impatiently for Alison to finish. “Can I bring Brando with me? I’m not going if I can’t.”

“We don’t do cats, darlin’,” Logan grimaced.

Storm glanced at Scott and he shrugged. “As long as it stays out of the cockpit.”

******************************

Voices. Men. I’m being carried. Who? I can’t move. My hands, they’re tied. Dark. Blue light. Heavy boots. Latticed floor. Shadows. Red eyes. Remy! Red eyes. Dirty thug. Put me down. I don’t need to be carried. I’m not some damsel in distress. Remy, where are you taking me? Remy, help me. Let go of me, you monster! Where is my strength? He’s putting me down. Where am I? It’s cold. Why can’t I break these cables? I’m Carol Danvers.

“I’m Carol Danvers! You won’t get away with this!” He’s laughing at me. Who does he think he is? “Who are you? What is this place?”

“Remy is the greatest lover that you’ll ever know.” When I get out of here, I’m going to strangle that smirk from his face. Remy?

“Remy! Remy, where am I? Where are we? What’s going on? I can’t…I can’t remember…” He’s holding me. He’s touching me! “Get your filthy hands off of me!”

“Okay, Gambit's not gonna play this game.” He’s gone. The door is sealed shut. This room is large and empty. I can hear my voice and footsteps echo. Is this some kind of prison? No, I don’t remember seeing a guard. Logan? Where are you? What was that? Who’s there? I heard you; now, show yourself.

“I said, show yourself!”

“Who are you?”

“Who are you?”

“My name is Rogue.”

“You’re the one who was with Mystique.”

“What happened?”

“I warned you to give up. I warned you!”

“You were tryin’ to kill me!”

“You nearly killed me!”

“You touched me… My mutation. It must’ve come back. You touched me and I… I…”

“You stole my powers! You left me for dead!”

“No, no… I didn’t mean to! It was an accident! I told you to stop!”

“When they find out you did this, they will lock you away.”

“Stop it! It was an accident! Mystique was the one who wanted to hurt you!”

“This is your fault! You’re a wretched excuse for a mutant!”

“STOP!”

Rogue screamed and threw herself against the wall. It fractured and then collapsed, revealing the night sky above and sapphire waters down below. Startled, she lost her footing on the rubble and fell forward. With an unfamiliar instinct, she pushed her arms upward and soared toward the stars. Catching sight of the ground disappearing quickly beneath her, she lost control, and gravity engulfed her. She closed her eyes, and Carol took over, guiding her back to the obliterated stone wall and into the safety of the holding cell.

Rogue’s knees buckled, and dry heaves requisitioned her diaphragm and chest. She crawled toward the door and pulled herself to her feet. She placed her hands firmly against the cool metal and pushed with agonizing determination. It didn’t budge. She tried again and failed. Frustrated, she chucked her fist against the door, and with a thunderous howl, it collapsed. Stunned by her own strength, Rogue took a moment to examine her trembling fingers. Onerous footsteps ricocheted down the long corridor, and Gambit appeared, followed by a man of the same height with shoulder-length silver hair. The fear that initially struck her subsided, and a hunger flashed through her verdant eyes. She allowed Carol to surface.

“Out of my way, boys.”

“Rogue, how did you-…?” Gambit guardedly walked toward her.

“Don’t come any closer!”

“Byron, don’t!” Gambit advised, but he didn’t listen. He ran toward Rogue, and with a lightning quick reflex, she plastered her fist into his abdomen. He was flung backward and slammed into the wall. Gambit watched in horror. “Rogue…”

“Ms. Marvel,” she hissed. She grasped his throat and squeezed. He struggled to breathe as her powerful grip immediately constricted all airways. He clutched her wrists and used every ounce of muscle to fend her off. She was too resilient, and he decided to use one of the tricks up his sleeve. He snatched a card from the deck in his coat pocket, charged it, and threw it, causing a loud explosion a few feet away. The diversion was successful, and Ms. Marvel loosened her hold enough for Gambit to catch her off guard. He slipped a baton from a holster around his waste and snapped it. It tripled in length, blazing a brilliant, neon red. He swung at her torso, and she dodged it narrowly.

“Remy, please stop!” Her voice was frail and poignant.

“Rogue, is it you?” He lowered the staff, wary of what the woman in front of him was capable of.

“Remy, help me! You have to stop her!” She sank into his arms and he stroked her auburn hair.

“Ol’ Gambit is gonna keep you safe. Don’t you worry…”

“But can you keep me safe from her?” She looked up at him, seeking shelter. Her eyes flickered between a deep emerald and a pastel blue. Her lips curled into a wicked smile, and she whispered, “Fool.”

She kissed him severely, throttling any resistance. His hands searched desperately for an end to the thrashing pain. He felt as if his skin was boiling and his mind was imploding. It seemed an eternity until the misery abated. She freed him, and he dropped to the grating. She rose to her feet and stepped over Gambit’s convulsing body.

*******************************************

“What the hell is that?” Logan rested his hands on the two pilot seats in the cockpit of the X-jet, nodding toward the ominous dark fortress protruding in the distance.

“It looks like Magneto has a hide-out.” Storm flicked some switches and fastened her seatbelt. “Take a seat, Logan.”

The jet glided toward a small patch of sand at the base of the rocks. It was a jarred landing, and Logan ended up with cat claws sunk into his arm. He growled, and Alison severed Brando before Logan could shred him into catnip. The hatch opened, and Storm stepped out first. She shielded the jet with a thick layer of fog.

“Alison, you stay here.” Scott disappeared down the ramp.

“Can you handle those instructions?” Logan sneered. “If we come back, and you’re not here…don’t expect us to come looking for ya.”

“You’re a real jerk, you know that?”

“And you’re a real pain in my ass.” The door ascended behind Logan, and Alison rolled her eyes.

The sand crunched under their boots as they explored the beach. They climbed over boulders and up onto a shallow rock ledge. There was no visible way to get inside. Cyclops spotted a crude overhang several yards above. Storm flew them up, one at a time, and they stood before a large steel door. Logan punctured the control panel with his claws, and the door retracted. They stepped onto a narrow platform that created a circle around a vast, cavernous room.

“Ah, shit!” Logan cursed.

“What is it?” Storm led the team along the path.

Before he could answer, Logan was tossed across the ravine to the other side, skimming the dicey metal floors with his adamantium blades. Orange sparks followed him into the murky obscurity to which he was dragged.

“Magneto!” Storm and Scott raced after Logan.
Black by RentonWild
Author's Notes:
Disclaimer: The X-men and their likeness belong to Marvel and 20th Century Fox, not me.

This chapter took forever to write! I wanted it to be perfect.
The grille shuddered aggressively under the anxious footsteps. Storm and Cyclops reached a labyrinth of passageways. They agreed to go left, and they followed the dim walkway until they reached a massive fan that revolved slowly. The corridor turned to the right, and an antechamber lay ahead. Storm vigilantly set one foot into the room. Choppy gleams of light covered the floor with blue spots.

“Listen,” Storm nodded upward. Voices resonated from above, one of them clearly belonging to Magneto. Growls of torture denoted that Logan was close by.

“Storm…”

“What?”

Scott gestured to something behind her, and she turned. “Rogue?”

The girl walking toward them was only a ghost of what they remembered. She had ambition in her gait and arrogance in her posture. Wavy locks of cherry and chestnut cascaded down her back and shoulders, and two ribbons of white hugged her pallid features. Red embers had replaced her pupils. Storm eagerly reached out to her, but Rogue knocked her to the floor. Cyclops seized her arm, but she struck his jowl with a blinding punch. Ignoring what had just occurred, she continued out into the hall.

Scott rubbed his jaw and helped Storm to her feet. “What the hell was that?”

“I don’t know,” Storm shook her head, dusting off her uniform. “But it looks like Rogue’s got her powers back…and then some.”

***************************************************************************

“Where is she?” Logan gritted his teeth, fighting Magneto’s control. He was sprawled out against the wall, arms and legs locked. Below him, a long plunge awaited.

“She’s safe. But I am not her greatest threat.” Magneto stood in the center of an immense spherical, bottomless steel chamber. A cross-shaped platform was suspended by thick cables and bordered by four arched doorways. Pyro stood faithfully behind Magneto, flames dancing in the palms of his hands. The other members of the Brotherhood guarded the exits.

“If I find out that you laid one hand on her, I’ll rip your lungs out!”

Magneto laughed. “You have no idea what you are dealing with, friend. Your precious Rogue is just as dangerous as myself.”

“She’s just a kid!” Logan struggled valiantly.

“She is a machine.” Magneto’s expression turned grim. “You see, Wolverine, Mystique knew Rogue was the only one capable of ridding her of the thorn in her side, Carol Danvers. She miscalculated terribly, and poor Rogue has permanently absorbed her thoughts, memories, and powers.”

“Whatever you’re plannin’, she’ll never join you, Magneto! Her loyalty is with the X-Men.”

“She made a choice to follow Mystique.”

“What are you talking about? Unnnggrrrh!”

“It took very little persuasion to earn her trust. She became rather smitten with one of my spies, Gambit.”

“I don’t believe you.”

“Love has tamed the beast. Your delusions are charming, my friend. But you will not leave this place with Rogue… nor will you leave alive.” Magneto flicked his wrist, and Logan was hurled to the opposite wall. “Now, where are those friends of yours?”

He ordered the guards to search for Storm and Cyclops. He continued to torment Logan, stretching his limbs until the muscles tore. There was a thunderous explosion in the distance, and then another one, much closer. Pyro ignited a large fireball and ran toward the east doorway. At once, a flash of red light sent him straight back. He slid across the grate for a few feet and knocked his head against a metal post. Scott and Storm appeared.

“Let him go!”

“Very well,” Magneto smiled. Logan suddenly slid down the wall. He quickly shot his claws into the steel and jerked to a halt. Magneto manipulated himself upward, vanishing into the rafters. Cyclops blasted one of the reinforcement wires, and the platform swayed a little. He tossed the line to Logan and pulled him to safety.

“We have to find Rogue,” Logan hurried toward one of the dim passages.

“Logan, wait!” Storm called. “Logan, we have to be careful! Rogue’s…not herself.”

Logan walked briskly, barely turning his head to look at her. “What are you talking about?”

They arrived at a lofty circular stairwell, and Logan climbed three steps at a time.

“She’s pissed off and very, very strong,” Scott added.

“Magneto said that she permanently absorbed Carol’s powers and personality.”

“If that’s true, which would explain the brute force,” Storm’s breath was shallow and tired, “then I can’t imagine what it’s done to her mind. This is very risky, Logan. She’s in an extremely fragile state. She could be as volatile as Jean.”

“Especially toward me,” quipped Logan.

“Why?”

“Let’s just say… hell hath no fury like a woman scorned.”

“Rogue?” Storm probed Logan for an explanation.

“Nah,” he smiled impishly. “Carol.”

They reached a landing and another empty hallway. “Where is everybody?”

“Over here,” Scott beckoned. He stood over Gambit, who lay unconscious. Storm examined the cell and the crumbled wall. “He’s still alive. C’mon, help me with him.”

“What? Why?” Logan glared.

“I have orders from the Professor to bring him back with us.”

“What’s so special about him?”

“Gambit is Xavier’s informant.”

“Gambit?” Logan involuntarily released his claws. “This is the punk who brainwashed Rogue?”

Scott hooked Gambit’s arm over his shoulder and pulled him up. “Help me, Logan. I can’t carry him on my own.”

“He’s Magneto’s spy!”

“Yeah, and he was also working with Mystique, but he didn’t know that this would happen. So, calm down. We can work this out later. Just help me!”

Logan growled and threw Gambit over his shoulder. They continued down the path, making a semi-circle around the bastion. There was a small doorway that led to an alcove with a ladder. Cool air rushed down, carrying Magneto’s voice. He was speaking to someone, almost pleading. Logan brusquely dropped Gambit and clambered up the bars, flouting Storm and Scott’s objections. He surfaced on the roof, instantly catching sight of Magneto. He felt an unfamiliar aching in his chest.

Towering over a groveling Magneto was the most beautiful creature he had ever seen. The wind howled, compelling her ginger curls to dance to its music. A full moon cast an ethereal aura on her fair skin. Magneto kneeled before her, as if she were a vengeful goddess. Storm emerged behind Logan, trailed by Cyclops.

“Storm, get the jet,” Logan ordered.

“What?”

“I said, get the jet. Go with her, Scooter.”

“Logan, are you out of your mind? You know that you can’t take on Magneto yourself!” Storm appealed.

“I said get the goddamn jet ready! I’m the least of Magneto’s worries right now.”

“Logan, Rogue is dangerous! You need back-up.”

A chilling cry from Magneto caught their attention. Rogue had placed her palms securely on his face. His complexion was ghastly, and his lips were parted in a silent scream. “Get the jet, NOW!” Logan roared.

Storm and Scott exchanged glances, not wanting to leave Logan alone. “We work as a team! Don’t do this!”

“Your ego is the reason Jean is dead!” Scott unleashed the hostility and resentment that he had buried for so long.

Logan’s dark eyes burst into flames. “I did what I had to do! You couldn’t let her go, and I had to clean up your mess!”

“Stop it!” Storm interjected. “There’s no time for this! She’s going to kill him.” Rogue held Magneto by his lapel and hauled him toward the edge of the cliff.

“I can handle this,” Logan assessed the situation.

“She’s got triple your strength, and she’s invulnerable!” Storm’s white ponytail was frazzled by the speed of the wind.

“Not to adamantium.” He cocked a brow.

“Logan, what are you doing? Logan, come back here!”

“Don’t worry,” he shouted over his shoulder. “That’s my plan B.”

“So what’s his plan A?” Scott muttered. There was a commotion below—Magneto’s henchmen. “Storm, we’ve got company. Let’s go!”

Wolverine carefully advanced toward Rogue. Magneto was defenseless, too weak to fight. He dangled from her hands like a doll, limp and pliable. He gazed down at the Atlantic, knowing that death was imminent. Logan tested out his principal tactic. “I thought Carol Danvers was a good girl. A hero, not an assassin.”

Rogue twisted her head slightly, and Logan was fleetingly rendered speechless by her divine profile. “A hero saves the world from evil and bad guys, no? And this piece of scum qualifies for both categories, Logan.”

“Magneto’s beef is with men, not mutants…or even superhumans. You and I both know that.”

“He tried to destroy me! He wanted to use me as a weapon!”

“Listen, Carol, why don’t you put him down? I know you’re angry right now. I know what it feels like to have your life taken away from you; what it’s like to wake up and not know where the hell you are. But this isn’t the answer. You’re not a murderer. I know you, Carol. So, let him go and come with me.” He stepped forward.

“Don’t move any closer!”

“Put him down, and I’ll back away.”

“My business is not with you or the X-men. Now, stay away!”

“You know I was never good at takin’ orders. Especially from you…”

Logan felt his skeleton pushing against his epidermis. She was controlling him, keeping him motionless. He strained to lift his feet, but every stir sent excruciating pain through his calves and thighs. He was tearing through his own flesh. An intense heat shot past his ear, and orange flames engulfed the precipice. The pressure through his bones dissipated, and he intuitively ran to Rogue. She had thrown herself to the dank, stone ground, dodging the stream of fire. Magneto lay next to her, soothingly rubbing his neck and sputtering for air. “Byron…help me!”

A silver-haired man yanked Logan up by the collar on his black leather suit, and threw a punch across his face. Logan growled, ramming his forehead against his attacker's nose. The two men engaged in hand-to-hand combat, reserving their mutations for the final blow. Blinded by rage, Logan viciously swung at his opponent’s countenance, his mind fixated on getting Rogue to safety. His deadly claws sliced through his knuckles and gloves, and with a repulsive squish, the pyrokinetic thug crumpled to the floor. Logan felt a hand on his shoulder and impulsively spun around, puncturing skin, muscle, tendons, arteries, and a heart. His rough and intimidating scowl faded to sheer panic and remorse. Delicate fingers dug into the weathered fabric across his clavicle.

Rogue’s petite, shivering frame grew heavy. Her eyes were wide, and she swallowed loudly, startled by the dearth of oxygen. Logan whimpered when he saw a rivulet of blood trickling from the corner of her blush lips. He had never been serious about a "plan B"; he never dreamed of harming her in any way. Her voice was guttural and strangulated; “Logan…”

“Oh, god. Hang on, kid!” He hoisted her over his shoulder and dashed toward the shaft, descending the ladder swiftly. He paced the corridors, using his heightened scent to retrace the path he, Storm, and Cyclops had taken. He broke into a sprint, knowing that he had to reach the jet before he could heal Rogue, but she was fading rapidly. He located the circular entrance hall and followed the rickety metal plates to the broken door. He realized that there was no way down. Storm spotted him from below and flew up to help.

Once inside the jet, Logan gently placed Rogue on the bench seat, kneeling next to her. Gambit was slumped over in a chair, and Alison took Logan’s place behind Storm. Logan unzipped Rogue’s black hooded sweatshirt and tore open her green v-neck tee that stuck to her chest with drying blood. Storm glanced backwards and gasped in horror.

Rogue’s body was cold and her skin was ashen. Her lips were drained of their color, and Logan no longer heard the rattled breaths that she sustained on the journey. He placed his hand over her heart, blood seeping through his fingers. “C’mon, kid.”

Nothing.

“C’mon. You’re supposed to be strong! C’mon!” He applied increased pressure to her wound, almost willing his energy into her. “C’mon, kid. Please! I didn’t go through all of this to have you die in this fucking jet!”

Nothing.

“FUCK! Come on!” He shook her. “God dammit, Marie! Don’t do this to me!” He stroked her lips and her cheeks, waiting for his touch to rouse her lethal skin. He grasped the white locks of her hair and twisted them through his fingers, painting them red. He lowered his voice to a whisper. “You’re all I’ve got, kid.”

He expected her to gasp for air and sit up, like in all those romantic movies, but she remained lifeless. His heart mirrored hers, stabbed and still and bleeding. He had failed her, again. Just like always. He had watched Jean die, and he had felt inconceivable sorrow, but it paled in comparison to the agony of knowing that he would never again hear Rogue’s charming Mississippi drawl or see that contagious smile. He was a miserable and bitter man, but she made him feel as close to peace as he was ever going to get.

Alison unbuckled her seatbelt and awkwardly traversed the cabin toward Logan. She placed a comforting hand on his shoulder. “I’m sorry… I know she meant a lot to you. This is all my fault…”

“Shut up,” he barked. She recoiled and returned to her seat. Logan leaned his forehead against Rogue’s, permitting himself to let her go and to grieve. “I’m sorry, Marie.”

There was unmovable silence throughout the cockpit for several moments. Then, Logan felt the familiar sensation of thousands of needles prodding his skin and his entire essence pouring out. He clenched his jaw, fighting the torture, and struggled to place his hand over Rogue’s heart. It was beating. Relief washed over him, and he battled to stay conscious. He wanted to see her open her eyes. She inhaled desperately and shoved Logan away. He keeled backward, writhing on the floor. She searched wildly for comprehension, and Storm was at her side immediately.

“Rogue? Rogue? Is it you?”

She was quaking violently, flinching with fear.

“Rogue? It’s okay. You’re safe, now. It’s okay…”

She caught sight of the blood on her hands, her shirt, and her skin, and fainted.
Out of the Shadows by RentonWild
Author's Notes:
Disclaimer: The X-men and their likenesses belong to Marvel comics and 20th Century Fox, not me.

The chapter titles belong to Sarah Mclachlan songs, because I can relate all of her lyrics to Rogan :)
Beep. Beep. Beep. Beep. Beep. Ouch. Bright fluorescent lights.

“Ah, Rogue! I’m glad to see that you’re awake.” You’re blue. “Of course, you are still disoriented. You have been through a great ordeal. You need your rest.” How does he know what I’m thinking? “I’m going to check your vitals. I apologize in advance; this might sting a little.” I don’t feel anything. “Hmmm, that’s odd. Let me try again.” What’s going on? “This is most irregular… Unless, of course! How could I have neglected that? You absorbed Ms. Marvel’s power; therefore, you assumed her resistance to physical harm. That would constitute ordinary needles, I suppose. Very well, then. We shall work around this, Rogue. Oh, don’t mind me. You must think me a fool, the way I’m babbling on!”

Ms. Marvel? Is that me? What’s going on? Why am I even in here? What happened to me? “My goodness, you look like you’ve seen a ghost! No, no, don’t move. Lie down.”

No! I don’t want to lie down! I feel like I’ve been lying down for days. My bones are so sore. Why? Somebody tell me what the hell is going on! “Rogue, calm down! You’re safe!” Keep your blue paws off me, Bub. “Rogue, you need to relax; your heart rate is off the charts. You have nothing to be afraid of!”

Where’s my voice? “Who are you?”

“I’m Dr. Hank McCoy. Please, Rogue, lie down.”

“Where am I?”

“You are in the mansion of Charles Xavier. Your name is Rogue; you’re a mutant.” Charles Xavier. I remember him, but not...

“I’m not a mutant.” Don’t be ashamed of your kind. But, it’s not my kind. “I’m not a mutant!”

“Yes, Rogue, you are. You’re very powerful and very dangerous. Tell me, what can you remember, Rogue? And, please, just lie down…”

“J’en ai marre! I’ll get on that table when I’m good and ready, Furball. Now, do you mind getting out of my way?” How uncivilized. “Charles has a very bad habit of teaching his students to meddle in my business.”

“Rogue, what on Earth-…?” No. No. No. Not again.

“Hank? Hank…it’s me. Carol. You have to help me! You have to get this…this girl out of my head. Help me! These things that I see and remember, they’re not mine. No, they’re mine. She’s in my head, and she won’t go away. No, those memories are mine and you stole them from me, just like you stole my power. Leave me alone!” Why are you staring at me? Stop looking at me! “STOP IT!”

“Oh my… “

******************************************

Logan growled and rolled over in his bed. “Turn the damn light off, Storm! I’m trying to sleep!”

“Logan, you’ve been milking this for all it’s worth. You haven’t been out of your room for three days, except to go downstairs and eat. Or visit the med lab.” She opened the thick forest green drapes hastily, relishing Logan’s scowl. “Have you forgotten that you are a member of the faculty?”

“I ain’t a teacher,” Logan protested.

“You can pretend all you want, but I know you enjoy this place. Dare I say it…we’re like family to you?” Storm grinned and tugged Logan’s toes through his sheet.

“Don’t push it, Monroe.”

“C’mon, Logan. Get up. It’s almost noon! You are supposed to be teaching physical education to our students, and if you lie around like a tree stump, you’re not setting a very good example.” She scooped his jeans off of the coat rack and hurled them toward his head. “Believe it or not, the kids are asking about you. Now, get up and get dressed. The Professor expects you to join him for lunch.”

Indignantly, Logan showered and poured his tired muscles into a t-shirt and sweatpants. He decided that he was a little hungry, but he was going to take a detour on the way to meet Professor Xavier. As the crescent door to the elevator rolled shut, Logan took a deep breath. The night that they had brought Rogue back to the mansion, Tessa used her abilities to help Logan and Gambit regain consciousness. The Professor managed to convince him that Gambit was loyal to the X-Men, but after hearing him describe his interaction with Rogue, Logan wanted to rip the Cajun’s eyeballs out. He had earned her trust and her heart, and he betrayed them. Logan knew that he was no better, but it still made his blood boil to know that someone else had hurt her. She was his, and knowing that for six months, dirty, worthless men were ogling her creamy skin and luscious curves made him sick to his stomach. They threw money at her, but she was invaluable.

During the months that Rogue was gone, Logan tried not to think about what had happened between them. He deluged himself with maintenance work around the mansion, repairing windows, doors, and wires. When he couldn’t find anything else to fix, he resorted to breaking things at night in fits of rage and excruciating remorse. Sullenly, he endured the idle time between lessons, stealing glances at the parkway and perking his ears up at the distant sound of passing cars, entirely inaudible to the other residents. He knew that was what Rogue went through, and it irritated him that the tables had turned.

The most he was willing to own up to was that he owed her a whole lot of apologies. But, he wouldn’t let anyone know the depths to which he missed her. She was an enigmatic balance of innocence and raw sexuality, and he was completely enthralled. He felt sick and twisted for thinking about how good and tight she was, and hearing her whisper his name gave him chills. Normally, Wolverine didn’t give a damn about hearsay and the consequences of his insatiable lust, but he had shirked a very sensitive boundary.

As soon as the elevator reached the lower levels, Logan heard the screams. Marie. He darted toward the infirmary and found Dr. McCoy staring helplessly at the girl before him, baffled by her incoherence. She appeared to be having an argument with several people, none of who were perceptible.

“Logan, I…I-I…I don’t know what to do! I underestimated this entire situation. She has been outright traumatized, and I don’t know how to fix it. She won’t let anyone near her, and she’s manifesting you, Magneto, and Carol Danvers with no rhyme or reason. For pity’s sake, she’s speaking French! Maybe you can calm her down. I’m going to get Charles. Right now, he’s the only hope for her.” Hank departed from the sickbay at once, leaving Logan alone with a hysterical Rogue.

Logan had no idea how to reason with her. His heart felt like it was being shredded slowly and painfully. She embodied utter pandemonium in her tangled mane, bloodshot eyes, and sickly skin. The gray sweatshirt and pants that adorned her frail body looked ten sizes too big. In the bright lighting of the lab, he noticed the bruises on her face and neck for the first time. He vowed that when he found out who tarnished her like that, he was going to kill them. Secretly, he hoped it was that damn Cajun. Logan crouched next to her and tucked a strand of hair behind her ear. She shrieked and scuttled out of his reach.

“Relax, kid. I ain’t gonna hurt you…” He recalled the first moments they had ever spent together; when he found out she was just like him—a mutant. He felt an instant connection to her, and it had never left.

“Don’t touch me! Stop it…
Stop it…”

“Kid, just calm down.” Despite her protests, he sequestered her upper arms and lifted her onto the exam table. “Marie, look at me.
Look at me!”

Awareness seeped into her gaze, and her sniveling stopped abruptly. “Logan?”

His thick eyebrows gathered, and he nodded. “Yeah, kid, yeah, that’s me.”

“Kid?” She tossed her head back and laughed richly. “I never objected to your pet names, Logan, but ‘kid’? I can’t imagine you growling that one into my neck." She found composure and whispered, "Shhhhh, don’t let them hear.”

Logan narrowed his eyes. “Carol?”

“You know, Logan, I get the feeling that all of those sweet little nothings you promised me so many times were just reckless words from a lonely man,” she leered. “First, you stab me right through the heart—which, incidentally, is something you’re very good at. Then, you seem rather displeased that I survived. Really, Logan, I thought we had something.”

“That was a long time ago,” he snarled. “You’re a frigid bitch, now.”

“Haven’t you heard?” She snorted and mockingly adopted a stern expression. “I’ve been the victim of identity theft. I’m desperately trying to reclaim what I’ve lost.”

Logan tightened his grip. “Where’s Rogue?”

“I don’t know what you’re talking about, Logan.” She wrapped her legs tightly around his waist, purring at his instant animal response. “But, that hurts. Brushing me off so quickly when we’ve got so much catching up to do.”

“Dammit, Carol, don’t play games with me!”

“Games?” She rolled her eyes and snaked her arms around his neck, pouting. “This is hardly my idea of fun.” She pulled him dangerously close to her lips. “I don’t know where your little doe-eyed protégé is, but I’m right here.”

“No, you’re not. This body,
this is Rogue! You’re just a visitor, and you’re overstaying your welcome, darlin’.”

“That’s
her fault! She destroyed my life, Logan. Why are you on her side?” she hissed.

“It was an accident. She wouldn’t hurt anyone.”

“She was with Mystique, Logan. Obviously she’s working for the Brotherhood.”

“Why don’t you let me talk to her about that, huh?”

She chuckled contemptuously. “You can’t just flick a switch and turn me off.”

It took every ounce of discipline within to bar himself from fucking the smirk off of her face. But, Logan growled and unpinned her legs from his hips. “Believe me, I’m going to find a way.”

The grand steel door to the lab slid open and Professor Xavier appeared, followed by Hank and Tessa. Rogue shook her head, as if to clear her mind, and disgust was plastered across her face. She drew back from Logan and shoved him forcefully into a tray of vials, needles, scissors, and scalpels. She turned toward her latest company. A loaded smile curled the corners of her mouth and she cheerfully hailed, “Charles! It has been too long, old friend.”

She hopped off of the metal slab and kneeled to his level, resting her palms on the limbs of his chair. The glee faded from her eyes. “There’s no use reading my mind. You already know what’s inside. You know that you have failed her, as you failed Jean.” There was that mental switch again. “I need a drink...”

The Professor studied her for a moment. “I shall require solitude,” he motioned for the others to leave.

“What are you doing?” Logan extracted a blade from his ribcage.

“I am going to assess her condition.” Growing bored, Rogue stood and began pacing the room, muttering to herself. “I trust that you will not question my methods, this time.”

Logan nodded in agreement. “If you can cage
that beast,” he motioned toward Rogue, who had ruptured into a fit of manic laughter, “then more power to you, Chuck. Whatever that is over there, it ain’t my Rogue.” He filed out of the room right behind Tessa and Dr. McCoy.

**********************************************

Logan shoved a forkful of mashed potatoes into his mouth and gulped down half of his glass of iced tea. He carelessly clanked his utensils against the china dinner plate, inhaling his meal boisterously. He was oblivious to the stares from the other inhabitants of the staff’s dining room. Students knew it only as that, but all the members of the X-men team ate at the table every night. There were two empty chairs, one on Logan's right and the other belonging to Professor Xavier. Between bites, he grumpily eyed the unused place settings and the clock. It was 6:15 already, and there was still no word from the Professor about Rogue.

Storm cleared her throat and dabbed her lips with her cloth napkin. “Um, Logan? Is there something bothering you?”

He snapped his head in her direction, as if he had just awoken from a trance. He scowled. “No. Why?” He took another sated bite of meat and vegetables.

“You’re just…uncharacteristically quiet this evening, more than usual.” She sipped from her water glass. “You seem restless.”

“I’m fine,” he barked.

“I think what Storm’s politely trying to tell you is that you’re being obnoxious,” Scott interpolated, tearing a small chunk from a piece of French bread.

“Scott,” Storm warned.

“Here we go again,” Jubilee rolled her eyes, reaching across the table for the saltshaker. Everyone held their breath for the usual testosterone laden tussle of insults between Cyclops and Wolverine, but Logan simply grunted in annoyance.

“Wow,” Scott cocked his eyebrows. “No ‘I’ll shove those glasses up your ass’ or ‘I could accidentally kill you when I sleepwalk, asshole’?” This has got to be a first.”

The well-known hum of the Professor’s wheelchair pervaded the room. Quietly, he took his place at the table, and a butler served him a plate of piping hot beef medallions, potatoes, and squash. An additional portion was set obliquely to his left. Rogue appeared a short time later, exhaustion and apprehension visible in her movement. Her hair was still damp from a shower, and she wore a new pair of sweats. She averted her gaze to the floor and sat in the empty seat next to Logan. No one spoke, and the silence was tense. Bobby and Jubilee exchanged calculating glances, Kitty nervously swirled the ice-cubes in her soda, and Tessa pushed her glasses up to the bridge of her nose.

Logan looked questioningly at the Professor, and he smiled back with an eloquent twinkle in his dark pupils.
You and Erik and Remy will fade within days, but it will take time for Carol to regress. I trust you to protect her, Logan. This will be a very taxing process. Logan nodded and turned to Rogue. Her hands were folded in her lap, not out of etiquette, but to keep them from trembling as much as the rest of her body. Logan grabbed her empty glass and filled it with tea. She reached for it as soon as he set it next to her salad plate, but her unsteady fingers slipped, and the crystal cup tipped over. The amber liquid soaked into the linen tablecloth, and she witlessly fumbled for a napkin to clean up the mess. Her breathing became stressed and shallow, and she swallowed repetitively to keep from erupting into a hysterical mess.

“Hey, kid, it’s alright!” Logan struggled to mollify her and track down a towel at the same time. Without hesitation, he laid a reassuring hand on her abnormally skeletal shoulder blade, a minimal gesture that sent her over the edge. She tore away from his touch, leaping up from the chair. She massaged her forehead and coiled her fingers.

“I…I can’t do this!” She fled the room, and Logan stood to run after her.

“Don’t,” Charles stated firmly. “She has had a difficult afternoon. Leave her be.”

“She needs to be here with us! She needs to know that she’s still welcome here!” Logan argued.

“She is not ready to wholly rejoin us, Logan. All of you need to understand that.” He made eye contact with each person at the table. “Rogue has been changed, altered in a manner that is irrevocable. For the rest of her life, she will be subject to attributes and memories that do not belong to her and that shall never fade. I ask that you disregard the means by which she acquired these traits, and instead, offer her a home and a family. She has made mistakes, but so have you and I.”

Logan grumbled in defeat and eagerly took the towel that Hank offered him. He mopped up the tea, scooped the ice chips into his hand, and dumped them back into the glass. Taking one for the team, Kitty asked, “So…what exactly happened to her?”

All eyes probed the Professor for a response, but he finished chewing before he answered. “From what I have discerned, Rogue was under the impression that Mystique was going to simply talk to Carol Danvers, albeit the plan was less than diplomatic. Mystique underestimated Carol, and Rogue was pulled into the conflict. It seems that the stress of the situation triggered her mutation. The exchange with Carol was not intentional.”

“So it
was an accident,” Bobby reflected, out loud.

Logan angrily slammed his hands down, leaning against the table. “What the hell made you doubt that?”

“Nothing!” Bobby shrugged.

“What, did all of you think she’d turned to the ‘dark side’ just because of
him?” Logan’s beady eyes shot daggers in Bobby’s direction.

“Jesus Christ, Logan,” Scott glowered. “Sit down and shut up!”

“Don’t play the peacekeeper card, Scooter! Maybe if you all hadn’t treated her like a fucking outcast, this would’ve never happened.”

“Logan, that is
not true!” Storm piped in, forcefully. “She left because she felt she had to. She felt that she had no choice. It wasn’t as if I could just put my foot down and ignore that she’s an adult.”

You didn’t stop her the night she left to get the cure,” Jubilee blurted out, regretting it immediately. Logan looked like he was about to chop her into fertilizer. “I wasn’t spying on you or anything, so don’t get all mad. I was coming down the stairs and I stopped when I saw that you were talking. I didn’t hear anything. I just saw that she had her bag. Then she left and you didn’t go after her, so I figured she had your blessing.”

Gambit had been a specter throughout the meal, and his mellifluous New Orleans twang caught everyone by surprise. “I never thought you’d be much of a cowboy, Wolfman, but you’re sittin’ mighty high up on your horse there. What Remy knows, Remy won’t tell, but you ain’t above suspicion.”

Logan rose to his full height and cracked his knuckles. “You got something to say, Froglegs, then say it. The way I see it, you’re a double-crossing thorn in my side, and I don’t trust you one goddamn bit.”

“Enough!” Charles demanded. “It accomplishes nothing to try and dispense blame. We now have a common goal, and we must move forward. I will not tolerate a civil war in my house.”

A cumbersome tension ruined the elegant and tranquil ambiance of the dining room. “I don’t need this,” Logan snorted. Tossing a death glare at Cyclops, he strode arrogantly from the gathering.

“Good riddance,” Kitty mumbled under her breath.
The Path of Thorns by RentonWild
Author's Notes:
Disclaimer: The X-men and their likeness belong to Marvel Comics and 20th Century Fox, not me.
Logan slammed the door to his room and threw open the drawer to the bedside table. He snatched the bottle of Whiskey that lay half-empty next to a box of cigars and took a long, satisfying swig. He screwed the cap back on and tossed the bottle onto his bed. He had spent the past few hours sulking in the garage, and he figured that it was late enough to avoid interaction with any of Xavier’s brood. Arming himself with a fresh cigar, he swaggered toward the French doors that led to a narrow balcony. A familiar scent brushed his nose. The bathroom door was ajar, and the light was off, but someone was in there. Changing course, he flipped the light switch and examined the stark white tile of the floor and counter. Muffled sobs echoed to his left. He sniffed the air instinctively and slid the shower curtain open.

Rogue sat in the bathtub, knees drawn to her chest, her eyes red and raw. The expression on her face resembled a child caught with her hand in the cookie jar. Logan rested his hands on his hips and asked, “What are you doing, kid? Most people shower with the water on and their clothes off.” He secured the cigar between his thin lips.

She stammered. “I…I… This isn’t my room...is it?” It was definitely more of a statement than a question.

Logan chuckled. “No, that would be the next one over.” He extended a hand to help her up, and quickly realized his mistake.

She shook her head vehemently and muttered an apology. She pulled herself up with the soap shelf and the faucet head, but her bare foot slipped. She knocked her elbow against the metal tracking as she fell on her back, her skull barely avoiding the sharp handles of the water spigot. Without a second thought, Logan scooped her up by the waist and gently sat her on the closed lid of the toilet. He had failed to notice just how tiny she was in the high strain of the events of the past week. She weighed a good twenty pounds less than when she left the mansion and disappeared. His hands, though they were larger than most, fit loosely around her arms and then some. “Jeez, kid, don’t you eat?”

Out of the corner of his eye, he saw the torn fabric of her sweatshirt near the base of her humerus turning burgundy and sticky with blood. “Le’ me take a look at that.” He pushed the sleeve up and grimaced at the sight before him. It was a small gash, but her apparent lack of nourishment was a big problem. “Kid, you’ve got bruises all over you!”

Logan grabbed a washcloth from the cupboard under the sink and saturated it. Crouching down to meet her, he dabbed at the cut kindly, careful not to touch her exposed skin with his. Suddenly, it occurred to him that if she had absorbed Carol’s powers, then theoretically, it would have been impossible for the jagged metal of the shower to harm her. Gesturing toward the laceration, he pursued the subject. “Kid, I don’t mean to pour salt in a wound, but…how is
this possible?”

Her dull and arid lips parted, and she shrugged. She turned her head away, sending a few unruly strands of hair forward and away from her neck. Her sweet intonation adopted a cynical attitude. “I dunno. The Professor says that everything will come and go until… until I can get control and allow her to be part of me.”

Pausing to read her emotion, Logan kept quiet for a moment. “So, right now, it’s you?”

“What do you mean?” her upper lip crooked slightly, a quirk that Logan had discovered, a long time ago, to mean insecurity.

He did not want to offend her, and he racked his brain for a nice way to play interrogator. “I mean, Chuck managed to suppress the others for a while?”

Her eyes donned a sad emptiness. “They’ll come back soon. I can’t hide them forever.” Logan knew that if he pushed any further, she would start crying again, and that was too awkward for him. He took the soiled washcloth to the sink and rinsed it, casting a rose hue on the basin. He opened the medicine cabinet that disguised itself as a mirror and grabbed a small box of isopropanol swabs. Tearing open one of the packets, he asked Rogue to hold her arm out.

“This is gonna sting a little.” He wasn’t lying. She hissed as the alcohol seared her skin. “That’ll dry it out. You don’t need a bandage.”

Coddling her elbow, she murmured, “Thanks.” Childishly, she watched Logan clean up and put the red-stained towel in the garbage can. As he shut the door to the cabinet, he caught her staring at him through the mirror. “I…I’m sorry for the trouble. I should be going now.”

She stood, her vision spinning slightly, and tottered out into the bedroom. Logan shut off the light and followed. “You okay, kid?” She looked as if she was going to topple over if someone so much as breathed on her. “You want something to eat?”

Hugging her arms across her chest and shivering, she nodded. She gasped in surprise when Logan hoisted her up and carried her downstairs like she was some sort of damsel in distress on the cover of a romance novel. He set her down in the communal kitchenette, and she lifted herself onto a stool next to the granite-topped island. Logan tugged open the fridge and examined its contents. “There’s some leftover steak… turkey… Carrot cake? Wait, don’t eat that. One of the squirts made it. Tastes like cardboard. Uh, beef stew… ham?”

“No…” Rogue scrunched up her nose in aversion. “I… I’m a vegetarian.”

“Since
when?” Logan turned his head toward her slightly.

“Since… like…” she knitted her brows and chewed at her thumbnail, “I don’t know. I can’t remember. Honestly, I’m not entirely sure if it’s me or…her.”

Logan bumped the refrigerator door shut and moved his search to an overhead pantry. “It’s you, kid. Carol likes cooked animals almost as much as she loves Guinness. You got anything against peanut butter?”

She shook her head, and Logan carried a jar of extra crunchy Skippy, a plastic squeezable bear filled with honey, and a loaf of wheat bread to the islet. Rogue spun the bread bag open and took out four slices, spreading each with a thick coating of peanut butter. She drenched her sandwich with honey, and it dripped from the crusts of the bread. Logan snatched the bottle from her before she could destroy his. “Why don’t you just pour the damn thing down your throat?” He handed her a paper towel.

“You know what goes good with peanut butter?” she ignored his sarcasm, taking a large bite. “Coffee.”

“You’re crazy,” Logan chuckled. “Just putting this stuff anywhere near coffee makes the whole room smell like silicone.”

“What?” Rogue coughed, launching crumbs from her mouth. “Are you serious? What, like breast implants silicone or plastic putty silicone?”

“Both.” He grabbed two glasses from the dishwasher and filled them with milk. “Speaking of fake knockers, how’d they let you on stage without ‘em?”

Rogue flouted the question and scraped peanut butter from her teeth with her tongue. “You knew Carol?”

“Yeah, you could say that.” Logan’s reply was curt and touchy.

“Are you mad at me?” Rogue looked him square in the eye for the first time.

Never one to give a straight answer, Logan shrugged. “Why?”

“Because of what I did to her…” she sipped delicately from her acrylic tumbler.

Logan shifted uneasily. “There wasn’t anything you could do about that, kid. Don’t dwell on it. Besides, I haven’t seen her in years. We went on a couple missions together for the CIA, and I guess you could say… she was one of the first people I could trust. What I don’t get is why you thought you could trust Mystique.”

Rogue gulped down the rest of her milk and poured a second glass. “I don’t know. I didn’t really have a choice.”

“There’s always a choice, kid.”

“Look,” she exhaled despondently, “I’m not going to justify myself to you, Logan. I just want you to know that I’m sorry for what happened. Please don’t ask me for anything else.”

He leaned across the cool slab. “I deserve an explanation.”

“For
what?” her voice cracked with indignation. “Logan, I was suffocating here! Whenever you felt the smallest hunch of being tied down, you left. Besides, you don’t even know anything about me!” She brandished the last small chunk of her sandwich and waggled her head in frustration. “And, as for how I dealt in the big bad real world…that’s none of your business.”

“You
are my business, kid. I can’t exactly protect you if you’re in some Louisiana dive playing out fantasies for a bunch of lowlifes. Did it make you feel good to have those scumbags eyeing you like a skirt steak every night?”

She rolled her eyes and snorted. “Please, Logan. You and I both know that you forfeited the titled of older, protective father figure a long time ago. I’m grateful for your concern and your noble sacrifices, but I don’t regret anything. I got a chance to live a relatively normal life. I got to have a job and take cooking classes and manage money and go to the movies and go on dates…”

“Couldn’t you have just been a waitress or something?” Logan smirked.

Rogue wiped the crumbs off the counter and into her hand. “Could
you be an accountant?”

Logan smiled at her. “You’ve got a point.” To an outsider, their argument seemed to go unsettled. But, they had reached an understanding. Rogue was more independent than ever, and Logan had to get used to it. He liked her sassiness. She padded across the kitchen to the garbage and tossed in her crumpled up napkin. She washed her hands in the sink and flicked off the excess water. When she turned around, she jumped in shock. Logan stood unnervingly close. He twisted a lock of her hair around his finger and inspected her from head to toe. “So what’s Chuck’s plan for you?”

She rested her elbows against the smooth tile ledge. “Intense therapy sessions. He’s going to test out what triggers my behavior and build on that. I feel bad because it physically exhausts him. Today, he managed to create a temporary shield, but he said it wouldn’t last long. And, I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t scared.”

He slipped his arm around her and nudged her into his chest. Shakily, she complied. He rubbed her back soothingly. “Am I still in there?”

“All the time…” The loud drone of the refrigerator and the crackling of the icemaker nearly drowned her words. They stood, fit together like puzzle pieces, for almost fifteen minutes.

Disturbed by the unexpected sentimentality, Logan forced as much masculinity and authority into his voice as he could. “It’s late, kid. You should get to bed.”

“I’m not tired,” she nuzzled the fabric of his undershirt.

“You will be in the morning. C’mon, I’ll walk you to your-…”

“No!” she snapped. Logan’s body tensed when he felt her hands trace the waistband on his jeans and her thumbs hook into the belt loops. She looked up at him and there was a difference in her demeanor. The gawky teenager was gone, displaced by a seductress. Testing his intuition, his hand inched lower down her back. She bit her lip and hummed in satisfaction. Knowing that no good would come of his predicament, he retreated quickly. She caught him by the buttons on his shirt and pulled him back toward her. “Why do you keep avoiding this, Logan? You were never scared of me before.”

“Carol…” he squirmed free of her grip, “like I said; you’re not yourself.”

“Call it role playing…” Her hands found his weakness, and he temporarily lost clarity.

“Stop it,” he spat through clenched teeth. She was persistent and ruthless, and he didn’t like having her in control. He grasped her thighs forcibly and boosted her onto the counter, unsympathetically knocking her head against the cupboards. She giggled in delight.

“You always did like it rough.” She burrowed her hands into his thick brown hair and pressed her lips brutally to his. He was imprisoned by the pull of her skin and it pilfered his strength, thrashing his lifeblood. She ended the agony and grinned wickedly.

“Bitch!” Logan panted. He was pissed off and aroused and ready to pass out. She yanked his hips deeper between her legs. He gave a violent thrust and sank into her curves, capturing her in a second fiery kiss. It was much shorter, and he recoiled with a roar. Her eyes exhibited defenseless lust, and he wanted to devour her. Their lips met again, and he fought her power, tasting her fully. Stopping only to breathe, her name escaped the confines of his mind before he could smother it. “Marie…”

She pushed herself further against him and teased, “I’ll be anybody you want.” That did it for him. His face contorted in repulsion as she closed in on his mouth again. His rejection incited the monster deep within. Her lanky, but sturdy fingers trapped his throat. Perusing his thoughts, she smiled venomously. “You want this, Logan. But you’re too chicken shit to take what I’m offering.” She tossed him to the floor, and he slid several inches across the linoleum. She hopped off of the counter and kneeled next to him. “The body of the forbidden fruit and the mind of a woman who knows how to satisfy the beast. And absolutely
no commitment.”

In one swift motion, he razed her and pinned her wrists to the floor, carefully avoiding her noxious skin. “Is this what you want?” he snarled. “You want me to give in to your sadistic, fucked up little source of amusement? You think it’s fun to torment her, to use her mutation as a fucking weapon? To absorb so many thoughts and emotions and memories that she’ll never know which are her own anymore? To let me fuck her night after night and have her never remember any of it?”

“Logan…”

“Shut
up!” he barked. “There’s nothing you can say that’ll get my sympathy! You're a desperate, conniving bitch, and I will not be part of your bullshit!”

“Logan,” his name was a strangled cry. “Please stop…you’re hurting me.” Her eyes were gaping with disorientation and panic.

The hard angry lines across his forehead softened, and he surrendered his hold on her. The sorceress was gone. He sat back on his heels, and she hooked onto the rungs of the bar stool to wrench herself free. He reached out to reassure her, but she ducked. “Kid, you were having another…another episode. I had to control you.”

“Don’t…” she rose to her feet and slowly backed toward the arched doorway. “I can’t… I can’t…”

Chest heaving with anger and defeat, Logan bared his gritted teeth as she vanished into the dark hallway.
Vox by RentonWild
Author's Notes:
Disclaimer: The X-men and their liknesses belong to Marvel Comics and 20th Century Fox, not me.
I wake up every morning with images of a family and places I don’t know, and at night, when I go to sleep, he’s there. I don’t know if the memories are real, but I can feel his touch. I know all of his desires and all of his fears, but what about the most intimate details? I see my skin burning bright red as I sway beneath him. I see my body from his perspective, and there is undeniable lust. I see his body as if it were my own, a hand stroking his most prized possession, breathing labored and erratic. I see a pool of liquid, a cage, and men. I see bloody sweat in my eyes as the bitter cold of the Canadian wilderness lashes at my naked frame. I see blood dripping from my hands and claws extended. I see the faces of a hundred women, thriving with pleasure. There are faces of a thousand men, writhing with pain.

There’s a man, tall and blonde. He smiles at me lovingly and his touch is tender. I hear screams of pain, and there are flashes of light. I fight countless villains. I sip coffee at an outdoor café, a different man sitting across from me. I’m a bridesmaid. A lover. A CEO. A heroine.

It has been a week since I woke up in the med lab. The Professor has worked with me rigorously, and I’ve actually started to weed out some of my own memories, things that happened months and years ago. He sensed my hesitation with Logan, and he advised me that I should keep away from him. There’s too much history with Carol, and he could hurt me. I’m not scared of him, but I’m kind of glad I have an excuse to avoid him. Snapping out of a spasm and finding that he’s got me pinned to the floor was unpleasant. Besides, this whole situation has to be hard on him, too. An old flame shows up in my head, and suddenly I’m trying to seduce him every five minutes.

The students scatter like sewer rats when they see me. The only ones being nice are, surprisingly, Bobby, Kitty, and Jubilee. I guess you could say that we’ve made peace, because, well, I’m not so heartbroken or bitter anymore. I’ve got bigger things to worry about. And, a lot of changes happened while I was gone. Romantic ones. Kitty fell hard for Pete, and Bobby was pissed for a while. Then, Alison showed up, and he got over the jilted lover thing really quickly. He has some competition with that Angel guy, though. Storm has a boyfriend, and it’s really weird to see her in love. I was taking a walk yesterday, and I saw her on the veranda watering the roses. A rather attractive man, who goes by “Forge”, approached her from behind and wrapped his arms around her waist. I don’t think I’ve ever seen Storm smile like that. I felt like I was watching my parents, though.

There’s another guy, named Bishop, who Jubilee goes weak in the knees for. But, apparently, he’s more interested in Tessa, another newbie. Well, to me at least. She’s really nice, and I think she’s the smartest person I’ve ever met. She’s like a walking computer. She sat in on one of my sessions with Professor Xavier, and I found out that she has the ability to analyze information really quickly, even DNA. She can repair the mutant gene and make it go from dormant to hyperactive. That’s how Logan and Remy managed to survive.

Remy’s become quite the charmer. He’s taken to doing card tricks for the younger kids, and charging their textbooks so they explode, which pisses Scott off to no end. I worked up the courage to speak to Remy, and I apologized for sucking the life out of him. He gave me the most swoon-worthy smile and said there were no hard feelings. He told me that he followed Mystique to Carol’s place. When things went south, he took Mystique back to the hideout, grabbed my duffel bag, and had my things expedited to the mansion. Then, he went off to join Magneto. He promised that he never thought things would go so badly. He's forgiven, though. Thanks to him, when I finally settled in, all of my clothes were folded neatly in a dresser, waiting for me. He doesn’t like Logan, which isn’t surprising. Logan doesn’t appreciate the danger that Remy faces being a double agent. Personally, I think he just resents the fact that there’s another badass in the mansion, now.

I’ve been trying to keep myself busy, because boredom leaves the door open for Carol. Dr. McCoy has managed to find a few mundane tasks for me, like alphabetizing his collection of medical journals and reorganizing the library. Other than that, I stay in my room and read. Sometimes, I’ll doze off and when I wake up, I’m hovering a foot above my mattress. Last night, I climbed onto the roof and considered jumping off, but I couldn’t muster the nerve. I mean, as ridiculous as it sounds, I can fly. I know it. But what if something went wrong? I’m dying to practice, but I don’t want everyone looking at me funny. Well, more than usual.

I’m sitting in the music room at the lacquered baby grand piano. There’s still a half-hour until dinner. My grandmother on my father’s side taught me to play. I’m a little rusty, so I hope nobody hears me. They shouldn't. Students don't exactly hang out in the classroom wings after hours. The only piece I can remember right now is Beethoven’s Six Easy Variations on a Swiss Tune. That’s just a study piece, though. Anybody can play it. My fingers glide with amazing recollected skill across the white and black keys. Maybe if I concentrate hard enough, I’ll remember my favorite piece…Chopin’s Prelude in E Minor. I clink out the first few notes of the Funeral March and I can’t help but laugh. That song is so morbid.

It’s raining outside. April showers are my favorite because even though the raindrops are dreary, the air is warm and sweet. In four days, I’ll be nineteen. I haven’t told anyone about my birthday, not even Logan or Bobby. I don’t really think it would make a difference if I did. It’s not like I’ll get a frosted cake and presents wrapped in pastel colors, topped with giant bows. The last time I actually celebrated my birthday was when I turned sixteen. My friends and I went bowling. The next day, my daddy took me to the mall parking lot and showed me how to drive his old Dodge truck. His knuckles were white by the time we went home. He said I had done about 15 years of damage on the clutch in an hour and a half. I haven’t driven since.

Three months later, I got my first kiss, and oh was it the kiss of death. My parents took me to every specialist they could find. I was prodded and tested more times than I care to remember. David’s mom threatened a lawsuit, but she had no case, so her attorney husband advised her to drop it. Everyone at school found out, and the principal asked my parents to consider switching me to another school. My mom spent her days crying and my daddy ignored me, and I knew I had to leave. The last straw was when we came home from grocery shopping and the front window was smashed in. Our sunny living room was splattered with large red letters: M-U-T-A-N-T.

I packed my bags and left in the middle of the night, 46 dollars in my pocket. I walked for a long time, just waiting for something bad to happen. I went to the 24-hour diner at the truck stop near the interstates, and I scoped out everyone for a ride. I found an older woman named Vicki, and she took me to the Virginia state line. She gave me the name of a friend who was heading up north and my twenty bucks back. I didn’t want to take it, but she insisted. She said that I’d made her trip shorter, and she was grateful we crossed paths. Sure enough, Lou showed up a couple hours later. I was out front of the gas station when a tall, skinny guy with a denim shirt that said “Lou” across the pockets emerged from the mini-market with a new pack of cigarettes. He was less friendly, but he took me, and half of my money, to a small town on the Canadian border. Things got a lot more difficult from there.

I hear my name being called. It’s Storm. “I’m in here!”

“Ah, there you are, Rogue. You should come join us in the dining room. Dinner’s ready…”

“What’re we having?”

“Lasagna. No meat. Special orders.” She winked.

“Thanks,” I smile back. “I’m famished!”




Logan is staring at his plate like it’s a poisonous snake. I’ve been watching him for several minutes, and it’s rather amusing. There’s a little too much cheese on top, but other than that, the lasagna is excellent. Oh shit, he caught me. The look he’s giving me is making me thirsty. Where’s my lemonade? Really, I resent the insolence in his gaze. If he’s trying to make me feel guilty, it’s not going to work. He knows why I didn’t sit next to him…why I chose the seat furthest from him. He knows why I can’t speak to him or see him. But still, he’s trying to make me feel bad. I have to look away. This is getting intense.

Remy leans over and whispers in my ear, “Looks like da Wolverine tinks his manhood is jeopardized by squiggly pasta.”

Oops, I laughed a little too loudly. Now everyone’s staring at me. Good defense mechanism—shoving a pile of food into my mouth and pretending to be very interested in the butter dish. I guess it worked. They’re back to their respective conversations. Whoa. Did Remy just put his hand on my thigh? He did. And Logan is glowering at him. He couldn’t possibly have seen, though. But, Logan is the jealous type, and he doesn’t hide it. Wow, I was so worried that I wouldn’t be able to handle a one-night-stand with him, but it looks like he’s the one having a problem.

I giggle into my napkin. No wonder Jean let Logan trail her like a puppy dog. I could get used to this. No, I can’t. I can’t use Remy, because I actually like him a lot. And from what I can tell, he feels the same way. Besides, the age gap is smaller. Ouch, why do I feel bad for saying that? I feel like I’m hurting Logan. I shouldn’t care so much and I shouldn’t get my hopes up. Remy’s a lady’s man, fair and square. He’s Logan with a N’awlins accent. I can’t just assume that he’s going to fall for me. I’m going to have to work for it. That’ll definitely keep me busy, and right now, I need all the mental stimulation I can get.




I can’t sleep. This must have been Bobby’s old room, because I feel like I’m in an icebox. Okay, that was a bad joke. I’m tired and frustrated, and my teeth have been chattering for so long that my jaws are numb. Carol keeps trying to wiggle through the cracks, but I won’t let her. I really don’t want to sleep walk into Logan’s room because it’s fucking freezing beyond these blankets. I know, because an hour ago I got up to put on three pairs of socks and my gloves. Add my tights and sweatshirt to that equation, and I’m just oozing sex appeal. Just thinking about those nights at the Peach Tree and all those skimpy outfits makes me snuggle closer to my pillow.

I wonder if Logan would’ve thought I was good. He’s probably seen a lot of strippers in his day. I wonder if Remy enjoyed it. Back on that road trip to San Francisco, we camped out at a trailer park in Utah. I had my first taste of Bourbon, and I talked Remy’s ear off while I wiggled my hips. My face is burning up just thinking about it. He was a gentleman though, and wrapped his trench coat around me, laughing. Would you believe that he called me a River Rat? Oh brother, did I just sigh? I guess fancying a good ol’ southern boy is better than my foolish Logan hero worship.

I’m making a decision right now. No more Logan. I’m going to show him that I’m a grown woman who is immune to his brute animal magnetism. I have to get my life in order, and I can’t do that unless I distance myself from things that make me feel confused and insignificant. You know what? Logan’s not that sexy, if you really think about it. He’s just a big jerk. Wow, I’ve had many reactions in regards to Logan, but I’ve never been physically disgusted before. I think this is a step in the right direction.




Knocking. Come in. Wait, it’s not my door. It’s outside. A woodpecker? No. Please don’t make me get up. Why are you making me get up? It’s so bright outside. Daylight? I really don’t remember falling asleep. Where the hell is that noise coming from? There. Logan. Is he….? He’s chopping down a tree! In April. It’s a perfectly nice tree. Why is he killing it? Maybe it’s one of his mountain man things. He has to chop a tree down once in a while. Build a cabin. Make fire. What time is it? Oh come on, Logan! Eight thirty in the morning and you have to fulfill your undomesticated urge to be one with the wilderness? They don’t even serve breakfast until 9:15, so you just robbed me of another half hour of sleep. Thanks a lot, you big ogre. Well, I’m awake now. Might as well take a shower.




I never thought that it mattered where you eat a plate of pancakes, but I have been proved wrong. Bobby, Kitty, and Jubilee invited me to sit with them in the boathouse, and there’s just something about the lighting in here and the view of the lake that makes my fluffy discs of flour, eggs, and milk taste spectacular. Yeah, they’re a little cold from the long walk, but I don’t mind. The conversation is carefree and fluid. According to Jubilee, Logan was chopping that tree down because a statue is being built in its place. A statue for Jean. I feel like an ass.

Why is it that just when I’m trying to find every possible way to stop glorifying Logan, he does something sentimental? Yeah, it’s at the Professor’s bidding, but he could have said no and he didn’t. I wonder how Scott feels about sharing this venture with him. It has to feel like a slap in the face, right? He’s building a memorial to the woman he loved with all his heart, and the target of her mental adultery is clearing the land. Did Logan feel the same way when I died? I can’t remember it, but clinically speaking, I kicked the bucket. If I stretch my brain hard enough, I can see blood on my hands, but that’s about it. Nobody will tell me what happened, and I’m sure I want to know all the details.

There’s my name again. “Rogue? Rogue?”

“Yeah?” I’m so bad at pretending to pay attention.

“What do you think?”

“About what?”

“Haven’t you been listening at all, chica?”

“Er…no…sorry. I’ve got a lot on my mind. What did I miss?”

Bobby shrugs. “We were just talking about whether or not the younger students should receive combat training. The shit’s kind of hit the fan…”

“What do you mean?” I haven’t been reading the newspaper or watching television that much. I’m out of the loop when it comes to world events. Oh no, they’re giving me that look. The look you give someone when you don’t want to hurt any feelings.

“Things are just a little more tense now, ever since the SFPD blamed Carol’s disappearance on mutant terrorists.” Suddenly I’m glad I haven’t been listening. “But nobody blames you.” Um, thank you?

“Rogue, don’t get mad. All Kat means is that Mystique’s stupid plan has created a big problem. It’s affected all of us.” Marie, just calm down. These people are your friends. Just try to understand. “But, anyway, that’s not the point. We were just saying that it’s more beneficial to learn useful defense tactics than to run laps for P.E., especially if we were ever to be attacked again.”

“What she said,” Kitty smiles weakly. I smile back, because I want her to know that it’s okay.

I don’t know how I feel about that. “It depends. Some of the kids here are only seven and eight years old. Can they handle the discipline?”

“It doesn’t necessarily have to be regimented. If someone other than Wolvie teaches it, it could actually be fun. What little kid doesn’t want to play ninja once in a while?”

“Wolvie?” I snort.

Jubilee sets her plate on the workbench behind her. “What? Wolverine sounds ridiculous, because he may act like a furry little mean weasel, but he doesn’t look like one. And I can’t call him Logan because…I don’t like calling my teachers by their first names. Could you call Professor Xavier ‘Charles’ or Storm ‘Ororo’?”

“I can’t even pronounce Storm’s name,” Bobby smirks.

“Bobby!”

“Wolverine sounds ridiculous, but Wolvie doesn’t?” Kitty has a good point. “Anyway, maybe you could bring it up with the Professor today, Rogue.”

I have a meeting with him after lunch. Usually I’m too uncomfortable and worn out to make small talk. “I guess…”

We all jump as the clock on the wall cuckoos. Jubilee grabs her dish and skips to the door. “Oh my gosh! It’s ten, guys. We have to get to the foosball table before the rest of the runts.”

“I hope Pete’s ready for his Saturday morning ass-whooping!” Bobby hurdles over a pile of scrap wood with Kitty hot on his heels.

“Oh no you don’t, Iceman! Last time you got us in trouble!”

It’s true. Apparently, Bobby got frustrated and froze Pete’s entire team, along with half of the table. Needless to say, ice melts…and he flooded the Rec room carpet. Storm was not happy. She had to evaporate it, and the bottom floor was like a sauna. I wasn’t there because I was still hiding out in my room, but it was the talk of the mansion for almost two days. I should thank Bobby. It got all of the students to stop whispering about me.

“Rogue, you coming?” Yeah. I’ll be there.
Train Wreck by RentonWild
Author's Notes:
Disclaimer: The X-men and their likenesses belong to Marvel Comics and 20th Century Fox, not me.
Whoa, I don't know what happened to the format on this one. It should be fixed, though.
I have been exposed for the coward that I really am. I cannot name the culprit, but something made me cry on the Professor’s couch today. It was humiliating to be so weak and callow, but as valiantly as I tried, my tremendous gush of emotion would not go away. He said nothing, and he did nothing, and I am thankful. He gave me copious freedom to let everything spill out of my bruised heart. I even told him about my love woes. I thought it was a good idea to focus on someone to make me happy, but nobody can. I’m too broken and weary to put my best aspects forward. I feel instinctively drawn to Logan, but I think that’s because I have so much of him in my head, still. Not because I’ve ever felt more for him than a starry-eyed infatuation. I kept the part about Logan to myself, but everything else came pouring out like a bad hangover.

The Professor thinks it would be a good idea for me to start interacting more with the team. He said that the Danger Room would be good therapy for me. I can let out all of my bottled up pain, and I’ll be forced to integrate Carol’s powers with my own. And, because of that, I can ultimately assimilate her personality and block out her memories. I’m happy that I’ve got a get-out-of-psychic-block-building-class-free card, but I feel the invasive anxiety as I wander the steel halls of the lower levels. The last time I was down here, training for combat, it was the beginning of the end of my first real romance.

The red light is on, which means the room is in use, so I head into the power bay. I have a habit of counting steps. I’ve done it for as long as I remember. Thirteen. My shoes squeak on the slick floor, and Scott…Professor Summers…whatever…is startled by the noise.

“Hey, Rogue.” Not again. Do I have a crush on everybody? I just noticed his dimples. “Pleasant surprise.”

“Who’s in there?” I nod toward the colossal, metal-plated walls just outside the protective glass.

“Beauty and the Beast.”

I step closer to crack his interesting code, and I am graced with the image of Remy and Logan locked in a struggle. Wow. They are really going at it, and Scott’s just watching in amusement. “How rough do things have to get before you, uh, turn the simulation off?” I ask, tucking a strand of hair behind my ear.

He folds his arms across his chest. “Well, Gambit’s slightly more adept at hand-to-hand combat than Logan, but Logan has an adamantium skeleton and healing powers. So, basically…when someone gets blown up or bleeds to death.” He chuckles at the horrified expression on my face. “Just kidding, Rogue! It’s timed for thirty minutes.”

“Why’d they have to go in the Danger Room to beat the crap out of each other? Why not the basketball court or the garden?” I mean, isn’t the DR supposed to be for, like, real danger? Not a platform for two guys who don’t get along.

“Too risky.” He adjusts his visor. “LeBeau could demolish the school and the other one,” I assume he’s referring to Wolverine, “would shred Storm’s lilies. Then she would fry him. Then Logan would be holed up in the lab for a few days and come out crankier than usual, which we would have to deal with. Thus, it is better for all of us to just let Logan wrestle off his pent-up aggression. Incidentally, you know why he’s so angry, don’t you?” He turns to look at me and continues with a matter-of-fact tinge. “Because he’s got such a bad haircut.”

I cock my head and smirk. “Wow, you really don’t like him, do you?” He never fails to have an insult for him.

Scott tweaks some settings on the control panel and laser blasts begin whizzing from sconces on the walls. “I hate him.”

“Hate is a strong word, Professor Summers.” Everyone kind of sees their bickering as a fight to be Alpha male.

He turns and gives me a half-smile. “Call me Scott. And I take it back. I loathe him.”

“Why?” I suddenly feel embarrassed. “Because of…”

“Jean?” Her name catches in his throat. He composes himself and shakes his head. “No. People can think what they want, but Jean has nothing to do with it.” He sits in the desk chair and slides across the room to another set of switches. “Well, actually, I lied.”

I can tell he is uncomfortable being so open with me, and I honestly couldn’t tell you why we are even having this conversation. I feel a sense of duty, though, to urge him to talk. Who knows? Maybe he will do the same for me. “Let me put it this way, Rogue. Hypothetically speaking, let’s say you fall in love with someone, and you give that person every part of you. For the first time in your life, you really know what it feels like to be completely, indisputably happy. Then, someone else comes along, someone impulsive and out of the ordinary…”

“And you know that she loves you, but you still feel like you have to prove something to her in order to keep her?” Whoa, where did that come from?

“Yes,” he concedes, looking at me in awe. “Then, something terrible happens to her and you grieve because you want her back so badly. But, something gets in the way. And you are robbed of precious time with her…”

I lay an encouraging hand on his shoulder. “You’re not angry that she’s…she’s dead.” The words sound so ugly spilling from my mouth.

“What keeps me awake at night is that I couldn’t save her. She took her last breath in his arms. I can’t live with that.” Brusquely, he presses a button and the Danger Room is engulfed by darkness.

I watch the red sparks of light nervously, wondering if Remy and Logan can handle it. A glowing, sizzling Ace of diamonds lodges itself into the large, formidable observation glass. There's my answer. I turn back to Scott. “That's not your fault! You were badly wounded, hitchhiking your way back to the mansion. And that woman… it wasn’t Jean. I think…” I know because Logan knows. “I think the Jean Grey you loved truly died the moment she thought you were gone.”

His eyes are hidden by a bulky visor, but his face is a heart-breaking jumble of anguish, misery, relief, and puzzlement. This is going to get awkward soon. He stands—gosh, he’s tall—and runs a hand through his hair. His jaw is clenched, and I recognize it as armor. “I…excuse me.”

I feel terrible. Why did I have to go all Dr. Phil on him? “No, Prof-…Scott! I’m sorry! I shouldn’t have brought any of this up. I’ll go.”

“No, it’s alright, Rogue. Thank you, really. I just need to take a walk.”

He disappears down the stairs before I can protest anymore. Great. I’ve made yet another person run away. I’m real good at that. The lights are back on in the Danger Room. Time must be up. I think I’ll just hide out in here until I’m sure that Logan’s far away, upstairs. I’ll give it fifteen minutes.

I hear the clunk of boots. That’s definitely not Scott coming back to let me apologize even more profusely. Logan materializes in the doorframe, shirtless, puffed up and loaded with adrenaline. There is a nasty gleam in his eyes, and I know he is looking for Scott. “He’s not here.”

“I can see that,” he snaps. “But you are.” Oh no. He’s moving toward me. I back away, but there is no sign of escape. He lodges me against a filing cabinet, and one of the protruding handles digs into my spine. Why is he being so rough? I don’t like the way he’s looking at me. “I’m onto your little game.”

“Wh-what?” I want to kick him and tell him to get the fuck away from me, but I can’t. I know that, now, I’m physically stronger than him, but he has rendered me powerless.

“Cut the act, kid. I’ve seen those looks you give him. The way you hang on his words and lick your lips.” He grabs hold of my hair, close to the scalp, and tugs brutally. I will not cry. I won’t. As badly as it stings, I won’t. “You think that Cajun’d ever touch you like this?” He forces our hips together and kisses me with so much viciousness that I begin to feel lightheaded. He’s kissing me, bruising my lips, and I can do nothing to stop the torrent of my mutation. He rips himself from the connection, panting with fatigue. I have never felt so hollow. I do not know the man standing in front of me, and I feel constriction in my chest as his perverse thoughts seep into my blood. “If there’s something you want, you come get it from me. Don’t use her as an excuse.”

He lets me go and saunters, in his arrogant and vulgar way, out of sight. I hate myself for not fighting back. How could he do this to me? Logan is supposed to know, to sense what I’m going through. He thinks that I’m pretending, like a scared little girl ripe for attention. I feel deceived and alone and frightened. I want to run. It’s what I always do when life gets difficult. But I know that I can’t, because that will give him more reason to think he has me all figured out. My hope leaks out of my body like grain from a sieve. I’m being strangled by the swelling in my lungs and throat. I can’t see a damn thing as I make my way to the elevator. My vision is hampered by a watery haze. I don’t think I can make it to my bed before I cave in.

I have to keep my head down. I don’t want anyone to see. I don’t want sympathy or comfort or a pep talk. Only a few more feet. Finally, the sanctuary of my room. It seems dramatic and cliché to crumble to the floor and sob, but I do it anyway. I want to go home. I don’t even know where that is, but I want that kind of security. I want this hole inside of me to go away. I don’t want to feel anything, right now. I don’t want to do anything. I don’t want to be alive, and I don’t want to be dead. I don’t want to think or reflect or speak or breathe. I don’t want to be in this skin. I want to give in to Carol so I don’t have to be Marie.




Something just hit the back of my head. The door. Okay, I need a moment to collect myself. I’m on the floor, which has probably left a grid in my cheek. My eyelids are sticky with dried tears. There’s a kink in my neck, and I can barely turn to see who is standing over me.

“Hey…what’re you doing down there?” Bobby stoops to lend me a hand. “You okay?”

“I’m fine.” My voice sounds horrible. I must look terrible, too. “What time is it?”

“Pizza time.” Bobby grins and wiggles his eyebrows. Saturday nights at the school are pizza nights. Every possible combination of toppings is sprawled out over about thirty rounds of crispy dough. Everyone eats in the cafeteria, including the teachers and staff. The younger students usually bring board games, and the rest of us play poker or charades.

I struggle to get myself up, using Bobby and the door handle. I mend my tangled ponytail and wipe self-consciously at my features. We may not be anything more than friends, but Bobby still knows how to read my temper. “You sure you’re okay?”

“Yeah. Do I have anything…?” I signal toward my eye make-up.

“No, you look good. Hey, Rogue?”

“Yeah?” I make one last attempt to erase the sleep from my face.

“I know we’re not really that close anymore… and I’m sorry. But you can still talk to me, if you need to.” I smile at him and poke his rib playfully.

“Thanks, Bobby.”

“Race you downstairs?” He never was one for awkward heart-to-hearts.

“You’re on!”

The cafeteria is already crowded with hungry students. I sit at one of the tables with Bobby, Kitty, Jubilee, Pete, Warren, Alison… you get the picture. The “Mutant Brat Pack”, as Jubilee calls it. Storm gives three of the pizzas to us, a small gesture of favoritism. I’m not really hungry, but I guess I’ll have a slice of plain cheese. Anybody who doesn’t live inside this mansion would look at this scene and be utterly traumatized. Warren’s harassing Pete with his wings; Bobby keeps freezing the Parmesan whenever Jubilee reaches for it; boys and girls of every color, shape, size, and skill chat energetically. To me, this is as normal as you can get.

The affection in my thoughts is smashed to smithereens. Logan just showed up. I don’t want to look at him, but it will take time to break the habit of watching his every move. I hate him. I hate the way he makes me feel. Most of all, I hate him for tricking me into giving him all of my faith. The day that I met him, he scared me to death. But I knew he was just like me, and I took a chance. In return, he took a chance on me. He promised to take care of me, and I foolishly handed him my heart on a platter. I didn’t even make him work for it.

Today, I witnessed the ugly beast inside of him rear its head. The monster that surfaces when need and hunger and possession plague his sanity. The part of me that is still so green wants to forgive him, blame it on a big misunderstanding. Blame it on stress. I won’t lie to myself, though. I knew this day would come. Yes, Logan has fully acknowledged me as a flourishing woman, and at any other point in my life, I would have considered his behavior toward me the sexy kind of domineering. But I’m not dim-witted. I’ve been through too goddamn much to neglect that he violated me. He mentally and emotionally and physically pillaged me. The compassion that I knew he harbored, covertly, for me is gone. Maybe it was never there.

He’s observing me in a blatant and revolting way. I feel like I’m going to throw up. I need some water, but I can’t get it because he’s guarding the ice chest and soda fountain.

“Hey, Rogue, you okay?” No, I’m not okay, Katherine. “You’ve been chewing the same bite for…a while…”

I don’t mean to give her a death glare, but I do, and I feel remorseful right away. “I’m fine. I’m sorry.” Great, now I’ve caught the attention of everybody else at the table.

“Hey, Roger,”—Pete’s nickname for me—“did you ask the Professor about training the students?”

Oh, right. “No, sorry, I kind of forgot.” I really don’t want to have to explain myself, but I know how zealous my friends are about the subject. “Things were kind of…hectic today.”

“It’s cool,” Jubilee shrugs.

“Maybe Rogue should just ask Wolvie,” Bobby shoots a smug glance at Jubilee, and she sticks out her tongue.

I throw my slice onto the plate just a little too harshly, and I hear myself snap. “Why does everybody think I’m so close to Logan?! Why don’t one of you ask him? He’s your teacher, too!” Before anybody can call me out on my serious overreaction, I swing my legs over the bench seat and flee.

The only way to get out of the cafeteria is to walk directly past him, and I am acutely reconsidering my decision. I guess I caused more of a stir than I thought, because a hundred pairs of eyes are following my walk of shame. Storm, could you please strike me with lightning? Scott, maybe you could beam me up. Somebody finish this mess that I started. Logan is blocking my escape route. He's getting good at this. He could easily move out of my way, but he’s a pain in my ass. Does he enjoy humiliating me? Ugh, apparently he does. He’s walking backwards, standing right in front of me.

“Move.” There is no inkling of request in my voice. It’s a direct order.

“You shouldn’t skip dinner.”

“MOVE.” He puts a hand on my shoulder, and that is the final strike.

I swear I just heard his jaw crack. How hard did I hit him? Oh my god, I just punched a teacher. I executed a right hook on Wolverine, and it hurt him! Not me. My hand should be broken right now, but it’s not. I don’t feel anything. No pain or numbness; just the regular feeling of bones, veins, and sinew. It is really quiet in here. Oh my god, I just walloped a professor right in front of the entire student body, not to mention the headmaster. That’s it. I’m expelled. I’m done for. I’m going to be kicked out onto the curb. All the sympathy and leniency was contingent upon the fact that I wasn’t going to turn violent, but oops.

My legs feel so heavy. I’m running with no real destination. My only goal is to get as far away as possible and hide.
Fumbling Towards Ecstasy by RentonWild
Author's Notes:
Disclaimer: The X-men and their likenesses belong to Marvel Comics and 20th Century Fox, not me.
I didn’t get into as much trouble as I thought. In fact, everyone is being nicer to me. But they’re still giving me that damn look. The Professor pretty much ordered me to spend the morning in the Danger Room, so that’s where I am. My palms are sweating inside my leather gloves, and the zipper on my suit is making my throat itch. It is so nerve-wracking waiting for the simulation to start. Luckily, I have Pete, Bobby, and Jubilee in here with me. It’s supposed to be a simple exercise to help us utilize our powers and gain better control. I guess Professor Xavier figures that the best way to help me is to force me into intramural ass-kicking.

It’s really weird to watch the metal room transform into a virtual reality obstacle course. Right now, we’re in a sewer—at least that’s what it looks like. There’s water, to our calves, and it’s rising fast. What the hell is the point of this? This isn’t going to be like Titanic is it?

“We have to find the valve!” Bobby shouts.

“Just freeze it!” Pete hollers back.

“I can’t! We’ll be trapped, and there’s no way to get out!” Duh. Sometimes Pete can be so dense, and I don’t mean that in terms of composition. “And there’s no way to climb up, otherwise I’d freeze it once we were out of the way. Pete, it looks like you’re the only one who’s not gonna drown.”

Wow, we have been in here for less than a minute and Jubilee already broke a sweat. She doesn’t look too good. “Are you okay?”

She’s pressed up against the stone, panting. “Girl, I don’t even go near the swimming pool. This is pure insanity.” She’s scared of water? The Professor had to know that. Why is he putting her through this? It’s one thing to face your fears, but to be traumatized by them? No way.

“Where’s the valve?” Bobby and Pete are staring at me like I just spoke Greek. “Where’s the water coming from? C’mon, don’t look at me like that!” I have no idea why I’m assuming leadership. I must be out of my mind.

“From underground. We’re going to have to look for it. How long can you hold your breath?” Bobby turns in all directions, the water swishing around his thighs.

“No,” Jubilee exclaims. “It’s up there!” She points toward a hub on the ceiling. “This is an aqueduct. A dirty, flooded pipeline.” There’s a long, rust-covered conduit descending along the mucky bricks. It disappears into the swiftly rising water line several feet away.

“How the hell are we supposed to get to that?” Bobby marvels.

“Can you freeze the pipe?” Pete must really like Bobby’s powers.

“It’ll crack. There’s no point.”

“It’s our only option, right now, hot shot,” Jubilee rationalizes, growing more fretful by the minute.

“No, it’s not.” I understand now. This is the reason I’m here. This isn’t practice for Iceman, Jubilee, or Colossus. This is where Marie becomes Rogue. Professor X wants me to practice flight. He wants me to use my strength. I’m the only one who can save us. In all those heroic movies, I would just suddenly be able to fly up there and turn off the water flow with my superhuman muscle, but this isn’t a movie. This is my life, and I’m so scared that I’m paralyzed. How do I even begin to do this? My peers are looking to me for guidance, some kind of miracle. But can I even deliver on my promise?

“Rogue, are you gonna share your plan with us? ‘Cause we’re waist-deep.” Bobby clutches my arm and snaps me out of my stupor of insecurity. I glance at Pete; he has Jubilee propped up on his broad silver-glossed shoulders. If I don’t react soon, even Pete’s 7’5” frame won’t be enough. Purposefully, I toss my shoulders back and take a deep breath. I have to concentrate. “Rogue… Rogue?”

Bobby keeps saying my name, but I zone him out. My eyes are closed and my breathing is steady. I need to think about nothing but my duty. Do I need to hop? Do I need to put my arms up toward the sky? What do I do? Is there a mental switch I have to find? “Rogue!” Ignore him. I can’t break my focus. Carol, I know you’re in there. I need to borrow your power right now. Please, just give me a hint. Please. Please.

I feel it. I feel the twinge in my fingers and toes. I feel the lurch of my stomach. I feel cool air on my cheeks. Tilting my head upward, I open my eyes. The ceiling is coming toward me. No, I’m moving toward the ceiling! I don’t dare look down, because I know I’d lose my grasp. I grab the wheel of the valve, and I feel my weight hit me. It’s gone. I lost my concentration. Focus, Marie. Don’t think about anything else. Just focus. I take a long, thorough look at the water below and I feel my chest tighten. Why did I do that? Just breathe. Stay focused. Trust yourself. I do trust myself. No, I don’t. My hand is slipping. My jaws are clenched shut with dread.

Dammit, Marie! You got yourself into this mess, now get yourself out. I know I can make myself fly, but how am I supposed to keep myself in the air while I get this thing to shut? It’s corroded, and it won’t budge. I know I can move it. If I pummeled Logan, then I can defeat this stupid thing. My arms are getting tired of dangling. I have to decide quickly. Centering my energy, I slowly release my grip on the valve. Please, God, don’t let me spiral to a watery concrete death. I’m hovering. I’m not dead. With all of the might I have left, I take hold of the spigot and push it clockwise. Wow, that was easy.

I feel strange. Something isn’t right. I feel like something is pulling on my skin. The metal. I want to touch the metal. A loud droning digs deep into my ears. Sparks? Where did that come from? My head, it’s pounding. My heart is the same. I can’t get my hand off of the valve. It’s burning, glowing red, and burning. What’s happening? It’s melting. Everything is melting. The simulation is fading. I’m falling, and there’s nothing to stop me. I hit the steel floor, and I feel it cave in. I hear shouting. I hear my name. I see red flashes. There’s fire and ice, too. I see metal sheets tearing themselves from the walls. There’s red everywhere. I hear creaking and searing and blasting and crashing. I can’t stop. I can’t stop any of it. I know it’s me; it’s my fault.

“Rogue!” “Rogue?” “Rogue!” “What happened?” “Are you okay?” “What’s going on?” “Somebody get Hank!” “Professor, what is going on?” “What the hell did you do?” “Is she okay?” “Do something!” “Whoa, she’s ripping the place to shreds!” “Piotr, are you okay? How’s your head?” “Logan, stay out of here! She’s channeling Magneto!” “Get out of my way!” “Oh my…” “What do we do?” “I cannot control it. She needs to be sedated.” “How?” “Bobby, take Pete to the med bay. Everyone out, now!” “I told you this was a bad idea!”

I am screaming. I hear it. I hear their voices. Everyone’s going to be so mad at me. Where are you taking me? Logan? Scott? Professor! I’m sorry! I didn’t mean to! I couldn’t stop it! I can’t do this. I can’t control any of this. I’m not strong enough. I want to die! Please, just let me die! Get away from me! Don’t touch me! I don’t want to do this anymore.

Rogue, I want to help you. I know you can overcome this. No. No. Get out of my head. I don’t want to. I give up! Do you hear me? It’s over. I’m over. Rogue, be at peace. Professor? Please help me! Make this stop. Make this go away. Let me go! Let me…go…




Oh no, not the med lab again. I feel like I have a hangover. This one time, back in New Orleans, I went out with a couple of my roommates and their college friends. We went to a party at some rich kid’s house in the Garden District. We ended up playing Jengameister, and my nerves had me shaking like a wet puppy. Needless to say, Libby, Genevieve, and Libby’s brother had to carry me home. This headache is on par with the one I had then. My throat hurts; I really could use some water. Or, ironically, a good drink. I want to open my eyes and stretch my legs, but I’m afraid of being attacked by questions.

“You awake, kid?” Logan. Why is he here? He’s not the person I want to see right now. I lift one eyelid and peak at him. He is decked out in his usual garb—white tank top, jeans, boots, and dogtags. He looks harmless, really.

“I feel…” My voice sounds hoarse with sleep and exhaustion.

“Like shit?”

“Yes.” His bluntness is so endearing.

“You should. You put up quite the fight.” What does he mean? What even happened to me? “Chuck says that the stress of everything got to you, and you started to manifest all of the mutations you’ve ever absorbed. Way back to Popsicle and Pyro.” Oh my God. I have gone crazy. I could have killed everyone. I’m a fucking monster. “Whoa, kid, there’s nothing to cry about.”

“Ugh, save it, Logan! You don’t know what this fucking feels like. You think I’m fucking pretending. Well, is this good enough for you? Do you see how completely helpless and out-of-control I am?” I hate emotions. At any other point of my life, I would hold back my tears until they made my throat and nose burn. But I can’t. I have just given up on everything. My skin is burning up—it’s the damn leather uniform. “Get this thing off of me!”

I sit up and tug at the zipper. Logan places his hands on my shoulders and forces me to meet his eyes. “I’m… I’m sorry.”

“Too late,” I bark, pulling the metal tag down to my abdomen. I pry the clingy material from my skin. My camisole sticks to my breasts, stomach, and back with sweat.

“Kid, listen to me.” Wow, he’s really got a thick skull doesn’t he?

“Enough! Logan, I’m tired of this. I’m really fucking sick and tired of you. You don’t make any sense! You cross the continent to find me, accidentally stab me, and then save my life. But then you decide you don’t like the fact that I’m not so innocent anymore. So what do you do? You add to my confusion and self-doubt by treating me like a devious hooker. I’m not as scheming as you think, because in case you haven’t noticed, I’m not feeling too hot right now! I don’t know who the fuck I am or what the hell I’m doing! I can’t control anything, and I’m so afraid to even leave my room because I don’t want to hurt anybody!”

“If you’re so dedicated to solitude right now, why do you keep seeking out that damn Cajun?” Oh please, not this again.

“I’m not going to explain myself to you, Logan. Besides, it’s not like I can talk to you anyway!”

He grabs my arms and squeezes possessively. “I’m here, so talk.”

“No! You don’t fucking understand!” His grip tightens, and I feel that stinging pressure of veins swelling. Wait a minute. My skin. It’s bare. His hands are bare. He’s touching me, and there’s nothing happening. “Logan…” He snaps his hands back when I feel the pull creep up. To my horror, he rethinks his decision and touches me again.

“See?” he hisses, averting the pain. “I’m not afraid of you. You need me. I’m the only one who can give this to you. I’m the only one who isn’t going to run!”

I shove him away, and roll off the slab so that it sits between us. “Don’t be stupid! This isn’t a game! Don’t test yourself. I don’t need you to prove anything, Logan.”

“Let me show you that I’m sorry…” he struggles to speak, knees buckling. “You have to see things from my perspective. One minute, you’re just a kid—my companion. The next, you’re a sex goddess. You can’t expect me to ignore it. But it makes me feel sick! I wanted to believe that it really was you, just using Carol as a disguise. But it’s not, and that’s what makes this so hard.”

Cautiously I move around the large metal island and stoop next to him. “This is why I can’t turn to you. I already decided a long time ago that I wasn’t going to put you through that torture. It isn’t fair. Just like it’s not fair for you to demand attention from me.” He looks so weak and innocuous.

“You’re better than him.” Who? Remy?

The depths of Logan’s jealousy hit me like a brick. This isn’t just casual envy. This is deep hatred. Logan wants to own me. Maybe not carnally or romantically, but he wants my soul. My thoughts. My desires. My interests. He wants me to exist only for him. “So are you. But, I will not be your property.”

He turns away from me, his breathing more composed. “You won’t come back.”

What does he mean? There’s only one way to find out. “Logan, touch me.”

“No.”

I lay my hand over his, and he does not contest. His mind rushes into my body. Addiction. Obsession. Hate. Burning. Love. I gasp and fall backwards. The steel door slides open and Storm jogs into the room, out of breath.

She ignores the odd sight before her, and exclaims, “They found Carol! She’s at San Francisco General Hospital.”
Steaming by RentonWild
Author's Notes:
Disclaimer: The X-men and their likenesses belong to Marvel Comics and 20th Century Fox, not me.
The world is upside down. My worst nightmares are popping up all over the place. The Professor sent the team to pick up Carol and bring her back here. Logan won’t speak to me, yet again. The students are whispering about me, yet again. I destroyed the Danger Room. I gave Pete a concussion. Remy is avoiding me. And the cherry on top—I lost my favorite pair of earrings. What have I done in my short life to deserve this? I really don’t care if I’m whining without just cause. I’m being repeatedly screwed over, and it’s not fair! I was always nice to the other kids in school. I went to church every Sunday. I said my prayers and cleaned my room. I honored my father and mother. I didn’t steal, and I haven’t committed adultery…yet. So, why is everything going so badly?

The part that bothers me the most is Logan. I haven’t had a chance to resolve anything with him yet. He’s off with Storm and Scott in San Francisco. What the hell did he mean? He’s addicted to me. He hates me… He hates himself. Or does he hate everybody else and he loves me? How can he love anybody? He’s Logan. Logan doesn’t do love. Hell, I don’t do love. We hardly know each other. I probably completely misunderstood his intentions. I felt wrong. Is there even a wrong way to feel something? Well, maybe for power-absorbing mutants there is. I care about him…I think? I do. I care for him a lot. We have a connection, but it’s been quite lousy ever since… Maybe he’s waiting for me to say something. I told him to piss off, kind of, but I left the door open, too. I don’t know what he wants! I really don’t. I don’t understand him, and I can’t just ask him to explain his logic. Our relationship probably makes perfect sense to him, but I’m left in the dark. I’m having such a hard time finding myself, and it’s like he’s aiming to make things more difficult.

I can’t even talk to him when he gets back, because there will be a big commotion over Carol. Oh God. Carol is coming here. How am I going to face her? Maybe I won’t have to. I heard she’s in a pretty nasty coma. I did that to her. I took away her memories and happiness. I destroyed everything she was. Why does the Professor want her here? I understand his need to help people, but can’t he do the whole long distance thing? Doesn’t he know how hard this is going to be for me? I know I’m being self-centered, but come on. I have been through a lot.

They should be here by now. It’s almost nine.




She’s down the hall. In a bed. Unconscious. If I walk to the staircase, I’ll go right past her room. I considered my options—I could climb out my window, swing, hook my legs onto Logan’s balcony, jump onto the trellis, slide down the vines, and break into the kitchen. But, I don’t want to do that every time I get hungry. I feel like I’m sleeping near a cemetery. It’s creepy. I thought Professor Xavier would keep her in the sublevels, but no. He was feeling particularly hospitable and thought: why not a lovely room on the third floor, right next to Rogue? I managed to avoid her arrival. I stayed here on my bed with my door locked, just in case they tried to force me to pay her a visit. But I don’t know how long I can elude an encounter.

11:45. It is entirely too early for bed, for me at least, but everything is dead downstairs. Sunday nights usually are no matter what time it is. I’m so bored. I feel the urge to paint and to cook and, hell, even micromanage my sock drawer—anything to ease this awful restlessness. I have been staring at this magazine page for a half-hour. It’s a stupid love advice column. Maybe I should write to them. “Dear Ramona Romance: There is a loutish, scruffy Canadian man of indeterminate age with whom I have a complicated situation. What is going through his mind? Sincerely, Utterly Muddled Mutant in NYC.” They’d probably tell me to just get over him and set my sights on a guy my own age. Even that’s hard, because the other man in my life is currently hiding from me.

I need to talk to Logan. The only way I’ll be able to move on and get my act together is if I tell him everything that’s on my mind. Hopefully, he’ll give me something in return. I toss the magazine to the floor and grab my purple fuzzy sweater, slipping it on over my green cotton nightgown. Cautiously, I peep into the hallway. I know it’s not like Carol is going to be standing right outside my room, but still, it bugs the hell out of me. I flit across the carpet, pausing at the next room.

Logan opens his door before I can even knock; he’s dressed in workout clothes—sweats and a t-shirt. He looks like he’s about to go for a run. “Oh…” Wait, he’s going running right now? Then again, does anything he chooses to do make sense?

“You need something?” I swear, one minute he’s tender and fragile; the next, he’s a complete asshole. Maybe I shouldn’t make such a snappy judgment, though. The mission he had today was stressful. He’s probably feeling considerably strained.

“I just wanted to talk to you.” I figure I should be honest. “You know, clear the air. But, you’ve got plans, so I’m going to go back to my room now. ‘Night.”

“Wait.” He grabs the nappy fabric of my cardigan. “I’m listening.”

Uh…is that my cue? He focuses his weight on his left foot and braces himself with the doorframe. He wants me to spill my guts in the hallway? “Can I come in?”

He doesn’t answer me. He strolls into his room, assuming that I’ll follow. Stepping into his lair, I nudge the door and it shuts with a soft click. It’s so quiet in here. I hear the tick of his clock and the singing crickets in the bushes outside. “Slow down, there. I can’t understand a word you’re saying.”

What? Oh, he’s being witty. “You know what? Don’t. I hate it when you do that, Logan. You spoil every earnest moment with your stupid sarcasm. I hate a lot of the things you do, come to think of it.”

“Kid-…” he turns in my direction, pinching the bridge of his nose in frustration, but I cut him off.

“You said you were listening, so you’re gonna listen to me! Sit down, shut up, and let me talk.” He leans against the maple wood desk and tosses me a look of astonishment. “And stop calling me ‘kid’. We’ve slept together, Logan, remember?” Wow, it felt really good to say that. “Okay, I’m just going to give it to you straight. I hate that you confuse me. I hate that you make me feel like a crazy person. I hate that you expect so much of me when I’m struggling so hard to understand everything right now. I hate that you have the mood swings of a hormonal teenager. I hate the way you look at me. I hate that you think it’s okay to treat me with such carelessness. I hate that you expect me to forgive you all the time. And I hate that you’re trying to control me.”

He rises to his full height, and he looks royally pissed off. I feel my nerve scurrying away like a spooked horse. “Hormonal teenager? Look who’s talking!”

He did not just say that to me. Okay, Marie. Just take a deep breath and try not to tackle him to the floor. “You owe me an apology, Logan. Truthfully, you owe me a very long and very detailed explanation for your…your…capriciousness.” Okay, that one must belong to Carol because I have no clue what that word means. I was never much for spelling bees.

“That’s a big word.”

What the hell is his problem? “Is that, like, your defense mechanism or something? Acting like a gigantic prick? Grow up, Logan. Stop avoiding this. Just tell me what the hell you want from me! Give me something to work with here, because you’re killing me!”

“Stop yelling. The walls are thin—I don’t want everyone knowin’ my business.” This man is going to give me a heart attack. He knows how to push every one of my buttons.

“It’s our business, Logan. You and me. Us. And you know what? This business sucks! I quit! I do not like feeling so dependent all the time. I have my own issues to sort out, and I’m not going to let you be my problem anymore. I walked out once, and I swear to God I’ll do it again.” It seems that angry threats are the only way to infiltrate his walls. I push on even further, fighting fire with fire. “And you know what’s the clincher? You’re such a pathetically proud egomaniac that you won’t even try to stop me. You’ll sacrifice anything just so you don’t have to confront your weaknesses.”

His eyes narrow and it sends a chill down my spine. “You done? Did that little speech make you feel like a big girl?” My insides feel like a complex knot. I can’t back down, though. “You think you’re so ready to delve into this shit, but you’re not.”

“Maybe you should’ve thought of that before you fucked me! After all, I’m just a hormonal teenager, right?” This is going to get very ugly.

“You came to me,” he shrugs. He shrugs, like this is casual.

“You should’ve said no! Then none of this would have ever happened.” I regret everything I am saying, but I can’t stop. This is my fault, too. “Like a decent, respectable man, you should’ve enforced the boundary. Now, everything is fucked up and it’s all up to me to fix it!”

“Nobody ever said I was respectable,” he sneers. “Don’t blame this on me. I warned you.”

“What? That you’d marked your territory? No, Logan, you scared the hell outta me. I thought it would end up being a secret—just a memory. Something I’d think about one day when I’m at the altar getting married; something that’d make me blush and laugh; a story to tell my friends or my daughter. But you turned it into the worst mistake of my life.” My voice is quaking with passion and fury.

He leaves me hanging and walks out to his small terrace. What do I do? Am I supposed to go after him? No. I always go after him. For once, I want him to come after me. So why are my feet moving toward him? Why am I reaching out for his shoulder? He hooks his thumbs into his pockets and severely inhales the sweet night air. “I can’t tell you want you want to hear, Marie.”

Marie. My name awakens butterflies in my abdomen. “You don’t know what I want to hear.”

“You want remorse. And I am sorry. I’m sorry for robbing you of everythin’ that made you clean. You’re a cynic because of me. I took your innocence, confidence, happiness…you name it. And believe me, I wish I could give it all back.” Wow, I didn’t see that coming. “The big fucking irony is that I’m draining the life from you.”

What am I supposed to say? I think this is as candid as Logan is ever going to be with me, and I’m dumbstruck. There are a million things I want to tell him, but I can’t remember any of them. “Logan, I just…I want to understand.”

“You won’t. Nobody can.”

I step around in front of him and meet his eyes. “Try me?”

He’s fidgeting, like someone who feels pressured by time. He kneads the stubble on his chin and dodges my gaze. “No, Marie.”

“Logan, please!” The desperation in my tone is foreign to me. I’ve been reduced to begging. I take hold of a patch of his soft jersey shirt and wind it between my fingers, a feeble attempt to manipulate him. “I’m a River Rat…I don’t take kindly to bein’ told no.”

“What do you want?” he sighs with fatigue. “You should know already. You felt me, earlier.”

“But that just confused me even more.” I’m really being aggressive here, and I can only hope that it doesn’t chase him away.

“What’s so hard for you to comprehend?” he retorts, wrenching himself from my command. “Every minute you spend here, I’m dying. Every minute you spent away, I was dying. I can’t get you out of my fucking head. My hands? They itch and they burn—not from my claws, but because I want to fucking touch you all the time. But I can’t! I try to restrain myself, but I’m failin’ miserably. I’m hurting you, and you’re scared shitless of me, and there’s not a damn thing I can do about it. I want you. I crave you. I can’t sleep because you’ll be there in my mind; I can’t stay awake because you’re still there. I look at you, and I feel guilt and loathing and addiction and rage and jealousy and lust and repulsion. I want to show you that you’re mine—you belong to me. That nobody else can ever have you, and no one will ever make you feel the way I do. But I can’t let any of that happen because I couldn’t live with you hating me.” He’s panting like he just ran a marathon.

“Logan…” I reach out to caress the pain from his face, but he retreats abruptly. The primordial instinct kicks in, and he flees. The dark sky illuminates with lightning, and ear-splitting thunder cracks in reply. I feel like I’m in an episode of the Looney Tunes. Vicious raindrops assault my hair and skin. If I look up, there’s probably a single gray cloud parked over my head. The wet wind is slapping me across the cheek. I hurry inside Logan’s room, shivering. My legs glisten with dew, and my thick brown locks stick to my neck. I slam his French doors and roughly draw the curtains. Screw April. Screw the showers. Screw life.