Cloying Speculation by Sineya
Summary: Life changes when Logan comes home.
Categories: X1 Characters: None
Genres: Songfic
Tags: None
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 1875 Read: 2178 Published: 03/16/2009 Updated: 03/16/2009
Story Notes:
Okay, I don't care if this a piece of crap, I needed to write it. I heard this song a while back, and it inspired me.

1. Cloying Speculation by Sineya

Cloying Speculation by Sineya
"We take entirely too much for granted, when we shouldn't.
We hurt the people who love us,
And wonder why our lives are so fucked up."

-Terry McMillan




Logan came back six months ago.

We talked, we laughed, we spent every second of our free time together.

I knew he was in love with me. I mean a guy lives in your head, you get to know his inner most thoughts and feelings.

His deepest, and most painful fantasy was me.

Not Jean Grey.

Me--Marie.

Everyone knew I had feelings for him, they thought it was cute. A puppy love kinda deal.

They also knew he cared about me, thought it was sweet. A father-daughter, brother-sister, uncle-niece sorta thing.

They couldn't have been more wrong.

He hadn't admitted it to himself yet, but I knew.

I was ready.

All I had to do was wait for him.



Beep! Beep! Beep!

I groaned rolling over. That damn alarm, the beeping was the most annoying sound ever known to man.

I stared at the glowing digits.

4:30 a.m.

I sat up quickly, rubbing my eyes. It was too early to be awake. I swung my feet over the side of the bed, groaning again as I stretched my body. Loosening my muscles, and finally opening my eyes.

Logan was sitting at my desk, a gigantic grin on his face.

"Mornin', Darlin'." His grin widened at my heated glare.

"What the hell Logan?" My voice was filled with sleepy frustration. This was the third tim this week he set that damn alarm clock. "It's to damn early ta be up."

"I had to tell you somethin'." His face became serious, a rare sight. "It's important."

Okay, this had to be something big, 'cause the Wolverine never sounded like that-about anything.

"What is it?"

He took a deep breath, exhaling slowly. Now I was worried, Logan never has to gear himself up for anything--he's more one of those devil may care types. He walked over to me, and reached for my hands. His big paws engulfing my tiny ones. He stared deep into me, our eyes locked together intently.

I gasped softly when a small teardrop slid down his stubbled cheek, but our gazes held.

"I love you, Marie." He looked ready, like I was gonna reject him or laugh in his face.

Guess he still hadn't realized.

"Ah love you too, Sugah." I grabbed him, pulling him into a airtight embrace. "Ah love you too."



We spent all morning in bed. Talking and laughing. It was just like every other day we were together.

Except this time, we held hands.

This time, he caressed my cheek softly. Moving away before my powers kicked in. But it was a touch just the same.

This time, we cuddled.

Never knew Logan to be much of a snuggler. But with me, he was.

It couldn't have been more perfect.

There we were, locked in my room together. Alone in our own paradise.

We were so wrapped up in each other, we forgot about one thing.

The outside world.



They stared.

When we walked into the lunchroom, they stared.

Maybe it was because we were holding hands .

Maybe it was because Logan's arm was around my waist.

Maybe it was the way we smiled at each other.

But they stared.

Some disapproving.

Some sadly.

Some angrily.

The table of X-Men's stares were the most heated. The most varied.

Scott looked pissed. I guess he thought of himself as my big brother. And despite Logan's opinion inside my head, I'd come to like him. I had already known how he felt about Logan, and about me. So I had pretty much guessed his biased view of a relationship between us two.

I didn't let it bother me. And hell, Logan thought it was funny.

The Professor looked resigned. Like he'd been expecting it, and had already accepted it. Well, he was an extremely powerful psychic, he must've known this would happen eventually.

Ororo looked happy. When she smiled at me, I could feel it. She had always been such a sweetie to me, and she knew how much I loved Logan. I was relieved at least one person had positive emotions towards it.

And Jean. She was the most surprising. She looked a little bit sad, a little bit angry, and a little bit jealous. I'd always wondered if she still felt something for Logan, guess I got my answer. But who could blame her, I mean have you ever looked at the man? I wasn't worried though, she had been a passing fancy, I was with him for the long haul.

Logan sat down.

Then pulled me into his lap.

He stared into each face stonily. His eyes hard, I could feel his muscles tense underneath me as Scott stood up, and Jean spoke.

"This is wrong, Logan." She pointed at me. "She is a child, you are a grown man." I was hurt, I'd always thought she was a bigger person than that. Guess we all have our bad days.

Scott nodded, agreeing with her. "Yeah, she's only 18, and your already sniffin' around." Now that really hurt. Scott didn't think much of Logan, but I thought he at least respected me.

I held a hand, stopping any further comments. Looking around, I smiled sadly.

"Ah got two men in my head. One is almost sixty years old, and the other could be nearing a hundred, I'll be nineteen next week." Anger crept into my voice. "Don't y'all be sayin' ahm too young. 'Cause I'm older than you two combined."

Logan rubbed my back soothingly. For once he was being the calm one. He looked at me, then back at Jean and Scott, the righteous do-gooders.

"Me and Marie are in love." And he pushed me off his lap softly, standing and grabbing my hand once again.

"Ain't nothin' you can do is gonna tear us apart."

And we walked away.



The next week was pure hell.

And pure heaven.

On one hand, almost everyone in the school was against us. Save a few people who I now consider my real friends-'Ro, Jubes, Kitty, and the professor. Although, he's more like a surrogate father than a friend. But they were all so supportive and caring.

Everyone else was opposed to our relationship. We'd walk into a room and conversations would halt. Jean and Scott were among the worst, glaring at us.

They even had the gall to corner me one day, and try to talk me into dating Bobby. I laughed in their faces.

Logan told me Jean had tried flirting with him a couple times, and Scott had yelled at him. He said he told them where to shove it.

But that's my Logan. Short and uh, sweet.

On the other hand though, we got to be together. And let me tell you, Logan is very creative when it comes to the no-touching rule. I can just imagine what he'll show me when I finally get control of my power.

We were in love, we were happy.

For the most part.

But I needed to do something to get everyone off our backs.

I thought about just all-out screaming and violence. But discarded it after a moment, they'd just see me as a child, lashing out.

Then inspiration struck.



It was my birthday.

They threw me a surprise party.

It was the perfect time to go through with the plan.

I had just finished opening my all my presents. I couldn't believe the loot I had gotten. I guess everyone knew me better than I thought.

I did give one present though, to Logan.

Dogtags.

My dogtags, with Rogue engraved in them.

Now for another Logan present.

I walked up to the DJ they'd hired, and gave him a c.d. I'd made especially for this.

Moving onto the stage, I grabbed the microphone. All eyes were upon me as I spoke.

"This songs for you, Sugah." As the music keyed up and flowed through me, I looked over at him, he had this peculiar look on his face. I winked and smiled reassuringly.

So let them say it's wrong
For me to love you
They could never feel, the way that I do
When we kiss
When we're close like this


Everyone was silent, as the pointed words filled the room.

They can't see inside my soul
They can't know the love we know
All they do is waste their time
They can never change my mind

It's what my heart says
That is what I listen to
It's what my heart feels,
That tells me what to do
It's what my heart knows
That's the only, only truth I know is real
All I hear is what my heart says to me

What my heart says


As I sang the chorus, I stared at each and every person that had said something to me. Each person that I had heard whispering, or staring. And I let my message out loud and clear. Logan had a soft look on his face, and he smiled at me with love-filled eyes.

Let them say that I'm a fool,
To fall so deeply
'Cause they will never, ever be
Loved so completely
How can they, even talk that way
They can't see you through my eyes
They can't feel this love inside
All their words don't mean a thing
They can't change the way I feel


The song filled my heart, and every word I sang, I felt. I could see Ororo's eyes tearing up. Her loving nature shining through her eyes. I could see the professor mouth curved into a small smile, his face filled with tenderness-not resignation. I was happy.

And I have never felt so sure 'bout anything
See, you are the one,
The one that I need
It doesn't matter what they think
Or what they say
I'm loving you
Anyway
All in know is what I feel


I stared finally at Scott and Jean. Maybe it was the dark shadows, or maybe it was just me. But they actually smiled. Albeit not completely, but small smiles. Maybe they were finally realizing that I did love Logan, and he did love me.

It's what my heart says
That is what I listen to
It's what my heart feels,
That tells me what to do
It's what my heart knows
That's the only, only truth I know is real
All I hear is what my heart says to me
All I hear is what my heart says

Ohhhh

What my heart says


When I finished the room was still silent. All but Logan, who rushed across the room, and swept me into his arms. Pulling a silk scarf out of his pocket, and draping it over my face, giving me the hottest kiss I'd ever felt.

I figured, if they hadn't gotten the message, then they weren't worth it.

I might not have stopped the stares and the whispers.

But I sure as hell stopped the speculation, the wondering.

They'd finally realize that Logan and Marie was a permanent thing.

And there wasn't anything they could do about it.

We loved each other.

That's all there was to it.
This story archived at http://wolverineandrogue.com/wrfa/viewstory.php?sid=3253