Return by Shadowlady
Summary: Forced to confront his past, a past he no longer wants, Scott's back in New York. However, trouble has followed and the X-men are about to find out that his loyalties lay with the woman he loves - and the life he built.
Categories: X2, AU Characters: None
Genres: Action, Adult, Angst
Tags: None
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 3 Completed: No Word count: 4499 Read: 12079 Published: 01/01/2009 Updated: 03/23/2012

1. Chapter 1 by Shadowlady

2. Chapter 2 by Shadowlady

3. Chapter 3 by Shadowlady

Chapter 1 by Shadowlady
Laura Summers stared at her husband of seven years with an expressionless face. He stared back at her, his fist clenched around a sheet of high quality paper, a familiar insignia on it. The letter had been more than just a shock; it had driven a wedge that he wasn’t too sure they could survive between them.

Hate, low and insidious settled in his gut and he wished not for the first time since receiving the summons that Jean Grey had remained buried beneath Alkali Lake.

“Go.” Laura shrugged and shifted their four month old son on her hip. “Close that chapter of your life. We’ll be here if you decide you want to come back.”

“Laura…”

“No, she’s alive. She was your wife; I’m not going to stand in the way. I love you, we love you, but we’re not going to be second best.” Laura replied firmly, her hazel eyes flashing. “Go, settle your past – we’ll manage.”

“My past is settled Laura,” Scott replied firmly. “It died a long time ago. I love you and the kids, and nothing is going to change that.”

“Go.” Laura sighed. “Tell her that, not me. You loved her once, maybe in some small spot you still do…but you have to deal with it. It has to be your choice. Go to New York Scott, finish it and come home – or stay but have the decency to let me know either way.”

Scott stood, his chest aching as his wife walked away with his youngest son. Seven years of happiness and once again he was facing losing everything. This time, however, if felt even worse than before.

He cursed Jean Grey and the entire X-men team for a few moments as he watched his world slowly slipping away from him.

Determination filled him, he’d go. He’d answer this summons and close that chapter before he came home to Laura and their family. He wasn’t an X-man anymore, now he fought what he could, saved those he could – by protecting his own family and leaving the rest of the world to hell alone.

********
Scott eyed the impressive and intimidating gates of Xavier’s School with more than a little trepidation. He hadn’t been here in seven years, not since he’d left after Jean’s sudden death at Alkali Lake. He knew what they were thinking, what they’d labeled him but he didn’t care.

He’d found something and someone who made him whole. He glanced down at his wedding band and smiled. Laura, his beloved wife and the mother of his children, a woman who resembled a friend – one he’d never taken the time to get to know. A man he’d despised like some sort of animal over nothing more than a bit of harmless flirting.

The gates swung open interrupting his train of thought and he pulled the motorcycle forward. He parked near the front doors and swung his leg over. The saddlebags were light, he’d only packed the barest of essentials, and his stay wouldn’t be long. Not when he had his family waiting for him back in Montana.

“Scott, how delightful of you to come.” Ororo’s voice drifted from the open front door and he nodded at the flaxen haired woman.

“Hey ‘Ro, how’s it going?”

“Very well,” she started a little at his relaxed attitude and stepped back. “Jean and the Professor are in his office, I’ll show you to your room.”

“That’s okay; I can find my own way. I imagine things haven’t changed around here that much.” Scott shrugged, “Besides, I’d rather not get too comfortable – I’m not staying.”

“Oh?”

“Yeah, got things to do back home.”

“Hey, One-eye what brings you back this way?” Logan strode out of the library; his face set it its perpetual scowl. “Must be happy, Jeannie’s back.”

Scott shrugged a shoulder, “Not really. She’s the past, and my future’s waiting for me. Any idea on what exactly I was summoned back here for?”

“Wheels probably wants to know how you feel about Jean’s return to life.” Logan retorted calmly. “After all you two were together for a very long time.”

“Were. Past tense.” Scott replied as the familiar whirring of the wheelchair filled the foyer.

“Scott!” Jean’s happy voice boomed out a moment before she appeared in a rustle of silk and a blur of red. “Oh God, Scott, I’m so happy to see you.”

Scott tensed as she threw herself at him, her arms tightening around his neck. He stood stoically, impatiently for a moment before he disentangled himself from her grasp. “You said you wanted me to come back,” Scott stared at Charles for a moment. “Why?”

“Scott,” Jean’s happy smile dimmed a bit, “You seem…”

“I’m tired, I’ve been on the road for four days, I need a few hours of sleep.” Scott explained tightly. “If there’s nothing pressing?” he started just as his cell went off. He pulled it off his belt and flipped it up, a slow grin crossing his face. “Hey baby.”

“Hey darlin’,” low and sultry Laura’s voice drifted over the line. “How’s it going? You arrive yet?”

“Yeah, unfortunately. How’s it going there? Please tell me Lisa still isn’t harping about that stupid boy.”

“You know Lisa, she figures because she’s eighteen she’s allowed a boyfriend. As her father, it’s your responsibility to put a damper on her plans.” Laura laughed amid the sounds of clutter and chaos behind her. “Besides, she respects your opinion. I’ve got her working on her training, figure if she’s going to be playing with her gifts she might as well know what to do with them.”

“What about the rest of the horde?” Scott shifted his pack and started for the stairs.

“Mary’s bound and determined to convince that black widow not to eat her flies; I think she’ll manage it. The twins are terrorizing Mrs. Harris’ daughter, and Ashley is getting ready for her pictures. The baby’s sleeping at the moment thankfully. He kept me up all night last night…sorta like his father but without the pleasant afterglow.”

“Yeah, well, you know they say baby.” Scott chuckled and started up the stairs. “Barney check in?”

“He’s going to set things up so we can get what we need when we need it.”

“You sound worried.”

“I don’t know if it’s just paranoia but I think there’s some military in town. The way they walk is pretty particular.” He could hear the steady thrum of tension in her voice, a voice she carefully lowered to protect the innocent and not so innocent ears he knew were around.
“Stay clear of ‘em.” Scott glanced behind him to see his former team mates staring at him, shock and uncertainty on their faces. “I’ll be a day maybe two at the most and then I’ll be on my way home. Maybe send the kids to Joe’s. They love it out there and the army won’t go trespassing, not with his connections.”

“I’ll take ‘em over right now, Mary’ll have to go tomorrow. Her and I have some girl stuff do to today that can’t wait.”

Scott chuckled as he reached the landing, “Just be carefully babe, anything happens to you and…”

“Scott, remember who you’re talking to. I’m walking death remember.”

“Bullshit,” Scott hissed as he slammed the bedroom door. “Carnage my ass, you’re a woman, my woman. I don’t give a damn what the army called you. There is nothing in this world as important to me as us, our family, and our life together and I’m not going to let anyone or anything cheapen it – not even that bullshit you dream up. You’re my Laura, not walking death.”

“You may come to regret saying that, but I love you for it.” She chuckled. “I’ll call you tomorrow, hopefully with better news.”

“Hey, any time you call is good for me.” Scott admitted as he tossed his bag onto the bed. “I don’t want to be here, Laura, I’d rather be at home spending all afternoon making love to you, I hope you know that.”

“Now there’s a picture I’m not going to get out of my head.” Her soft, sultry laughter flowed over the line. “I know that, darlin’, just miss you is all. Bed’s sorta empty without you in it.”

Scott laughed, “You’ve probably got all the kids sleeping with you – like always when I’m not home. I love you, talk to you tomorrow.”

“Right back atcha,” Laura replied. “Oh just a second, someone wants to say hi.”

“Hi Daddy,” Mary’s soft tone came over the line. “Come home soon ‘kay? Love you from all of us.”

‘Love you to baby,” Scott smiled as the phone went dead. Folding it over he tossed it aside and began to dig through his pack. A moment later a soft knock on his door drew his attention. “It’s open.”

“Scott?” The seductive tone of Jean’s voice reached across the room like a chill. He glanced at the door to watch her slip into the room and close it softly, the look of desire in her eyes making his stomach turn. “I came to talk.”

“Nothing to say,” Scott replied firmly.

“There is. I still love you; I want to have our life back.”

“Not possible.”

“When did you become so cold?” Anger flashed in her eyes as she stared at him.

Scott whipped around to stare at her. “When you died, Jean. The man in love you with died at Alkali Lake so go bang Logan or something. I’m not interested.” The look of disgust and rage in her eyes drew a sardonic grin. “Let me guess, Logan’s not interested either.”

“He thinks he’s got it good with Rogue,” Jean huffed and sank into a chair. “Scott our lives are more important than some…”

“Some what?” Scott crossed his arms and stared at her. “I’m sorry Jean, I really am but I don’t love you. You died, I got over it and moved on – I won’t rip my life apart to come back and fall into being the perfect image you need for your career. Now if you don’t mind, I’d like to catch at least a few hours of sleep.”

“You’re going to regret this. She can’t offer you what I can.”

Scott chuckled warmly, “You don’t understand Jean it’s you that has nothing I want. There isn’t a damn thing in this building I want…not even you. What I have with her is so much bigger and hotter than what I had with you.”

Jean glared at him for a moment before slamming the door on her way out. Scott sank onto the edge of the bed and stared at his wedding band with a sardonic grin. Reaching up he pulled his glasses off and tossed them onto the bedside table.

He glanced into the mirror and stared. The red glow of his eyes brightened the shadows in the room – but did no damage. Something else he had his family to thank for. Lisa’s skill as a stone carver had given him this; given him a chance to see without his glasses or goggles. Why would he give up everything he had for a past that held no interest?

Flopping down on the bed he groaned, “Shit I hate this place.”

~*~

Laura glanced up at the sound of a door opening and raised an eyebrow. “You do realize of course that you don’t work here,” she rose to greet the hulking figure in the doorway.

“Summers around?’

“Naw, got a call back to New York.” Laura shook her head a slight frown puckering her brow.

“Damn, figured they’d let him be.”

“So did I. After all she’s been back from the dead for four years now, but I guess they figure they need his talents.”

“Mmmph,” the rough looking mutant shrugged his shoulders. “You know where I can find my old lady? She’s not at the house…”

“Don’t let her hear you call her old. She dropped the young kids off at the camp. Took Mary out this morning and then she was going to head over to your lair I believe she said.”

“I’ll head over that way. Uh hey, you be careful, you’ve got a dark sedan watching this place.”

“Did they see you?”

“No. Came in through the tunnel to Huticson and then slipped through the alley.”

“Thanks Creed, appreciate it.” Laura shifted uneasily. “Look, with Scott gone for a while I was uh wondering if…”

“Don’t even ask,” Victor bared his teeth in as close to a smile as he could manage. “Lisa’d kick my ass if I didn’t protect what’s hers. Woman’s got more balls than a lot of men – I’ll protect the cubs er kids if something happens.”

“Thanks.” Laura watched him stride from the room and glanced out the door to the front of the shop. Something told her that what lay out there was ten times worse than anything they’d dealt with in the past years. What was out there wanted their weapon back – and they were willing to kill to get it.

~*~

Victor stomped up the steps to the reinforced bunker he’d claimed on the edge of town. The small, nondescript sedan in the yard told him more clearly than anything that his girlfriend was home. He growled at the thought, no one would believe that he’d been tamed. Of course he still went on missions for Magneto but for the most part his life was his own. Much like another feral mutant he knew.

He pulled the door open and stepped inside to grin. Standing dressed in a delicate cotton sundress, Lisa Summers held two bottles of icy beer. “Damn woman, you know what a man likes don’t you?”

“I figured it’s a bit warm today, why wouldn’t you like the beer?” Lisa offered with a sexy pout. It faded beneath the weight of her concern and she ducked her head. “Besides, I’ve got a bad feeling today and need to relax.”

“What do you mean?” Lisa’s bad feelings usually went hand in hand with bloodshed. Something, he had to admit that drew the feral mutant to the young woman like a moth to a flame. It didn’t bother him that out of every mutant he’d ever come across, Lisa was the only one who could turn him inside out literally as well as figuratively. Rather he’d found himself more turned on by her then angered.

“The kids are safe but Mom isn’t. They don’t know about us, rather they don’t know about them which mean’s they’ll remain safe. Mom on the other hand won’t. I’ve been having visions, Victor, and they aren’t good. If what is coming happens…Dad needs to know.” She whispered pacing in the confines of his kitchen.

“So what do you want to do?” He watched her carefully, the cold beer forgotten. “I just came from the shop she seemed fine.”

Concern twisted at him as he watched her rub at her temples, her eyes glazing over. A moment later pain and fear darkened her features before she let out a tortured scream and collapsed. His quick reflexes caught her and he held her tightly as she struggled, marks appearing on her body from head to toe.

“New York,” she gasped and looked up into his face. “We have to go to New York. We need Dad’s help.”

Victor gave a quick, concise nod and lifted her. “Any idea where they plan on taking her?”

“I’m riding with her,” Lisa whispered. “The connection her and I share is open to a degree, I can sense what she sees, feels, it’s going to be the only life line she has. Victor, I’m going to need to start feeding her information, things that they’ll try and erase from her mind. The sooner we get to New York the better.”

Victor Creed gave a quick nod and carried her to the waiting vehicle. New York it was – those that believed they knew him would have been shocked to realize just how normal he could be because he pitied those that got in the way.

Chapter 2 by Shadowlady
Rogue watched Scott pace the main hall with more agitation in his stride than grace. He flipped his phone closed and opened it time and again, silently cursing when whoever he was trying to reach didn't answer.

"You okay?" Rogue spoke softly, her voice even.

"Damn, why am I here?" Scott whirled to glare at her. "Why am I stuck in the middle of this fuckin' circus rather than at home with my wife, my kids, my life? Do you have any idea how much I detest being here. Having someone that revolts me pawing at me like I'm some sort of consolation prize."

"Scott..."

"I won't stay. I'm not falling back into Jean's bed no matter how much y'all want me to. I have a life beyond this," Scott waved at the masion's impressive hall. "A life with a woman who loves me, who's been through hell and come out on top. Laura and I have something real..."

"Just as Logan and I do." Rogue replied softly, a hint of sadness in her eyes. "Jean isn't going to let you just walk away, Scott. she'll do whatever she has to so that her perfect life is returned."

Scott laughed and shook his head. "Jean's life was never perfect, no matter what she may think. No, Rogue, there are somethings in this world that a man has to do and when you fall out of love you move on. I love Laura, just as you love Logan...and he loves you. That's why she's trying so hard to break you up because then..."

Scott whipped around at the crash of the front door. His eyes widened at the sight before him.

"uh.."Rogue's startled scream was cut off when he slapped a hand over her mouth.

"What the fuck are you doing here?"
"Trouble's coming." Victor Creed stalked through the foyer to stand before them. "The frail better hide. Lisa said that they've reorganized Excalibur."

"What in the fuck? Who invited you, bub?"

Scott glanced at Logan before turning back to Victor. "When?"

"Yesterday. They hit and hit hard. By the time I got back to town she was gone. Lisa's got a line on her but they keep moving her. So far all Lisa's been able to do is keep a series of numbers in Laura's head. They're working hard at erasing everything."

"You lying..."

"Save it Logan, this is important." Scott pushed
Rogue aside. "IF they've revived Excalibur that would imply they want to reinstate Weapon X. If they do that..."

"We're all dead." Victor replied. "Lisa said to tell you that she'll keep Mom on track, but its up to you and I to save the geek sqaud."

"How'd you get in here?" Storm demanded her eyes flashing silver.

"Walked, frail." Victor stared at Scott. "Lisa's not doing that great...which means..."

"That Laura's doing everything she can to make their lives miserable. FUCK! Tell Lisa to get me my gear and to call Mary. Enough of the bullshit. They want a war, I'll give it to them."

"What about the frail?" Victor nodded at Rogue.

"What about her?"

"Laura is you, Lisa is me, Wolverine is her..."Victor raised an eyebrow. "They'll want the mates to keep the predators in line."
S
cott paused his hand on the railing as he glanced from Logan to Victor and back. "Send her underground. What about the children here? Do you think?"

Victor scratched at his ear for a second before nodding. "Lis is opening a portal for the innocent. She said something about only tainted blood should be left to fend for itself."

Scott grinned at the shimmy vision before Victor that expanded a second before a black duffel sailed out. He caught it and dropped it on the floor at his feet. "There are over two hundred children here, we can't do it individually. See if Mary can create an army to help us."

"Already done, Dad." Mary's voice filled the foyer a moment before she stepped through the portal. She raised a hand and a tiny line of small black dots raced across the pale flesh to pool at her feet. "Bring them to me."

"We're not playing games, Mary. We're out for blood..." Scott warned.


Rogue shivered at the cold, menacing smirk on the girl's face as she watched the line of bugs scurry across the floor. "We are engineered for perfection - death is but a tool. Come, Streaks, best if you are not here when she comes."

"Whoa, Rogue ain't..."

"Relax Logan," Scott caught his arm. "Mary'll protect her as well as you. Maybe even better. Victor, call in the team, Mary, control your soldiers, Logan, you and I are about to take a short walk down memory lane. I need to know every single upgrade that's been made since I've been gone."

"Why?" Storm demanded eyeing Victor with blatant hostility.

"Because," Scott grinned. "Carnage doesn't have an off switch and she's not going to be particular about who she kills."

"Carnage?" Logan growled his face paling.

"Yeah, she's part of Excalibur and the Weapon X program." Scott retorted and nodded at Victor and Mary. "See to it."

"It's done." Victor patted Mary on the shoulder, turned and vanished out the door leaving the foyer in tense silence.
Chapter 3 by Shadowlady
The low furious snarl filled the small cage. Bars reinforced glittered in the muted light. A narrow, hard cot had been built into the wall, the thin blanket the only covering.
One, two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight, nine, turn, one, two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight, nine, ten, eleven, twelve,turn. The steady montra echoed in her head as she paced. Eyes as dark as the night watched the three guards beyond the bars, the taste of blood thick and rich on her tongue.
She could hear their whispers, hear their plans and each word sickened her. Nothing had changed. Once more she was a prisoner of the enemy, a means to an end. Still, if they believed her beneath them, beleived her to be a willing, and submission toy they'd be in for a rude awakening.
"Have you been able to discover any means of termination?" From down the hall she could hear the silky tone of the brown haired doctor, her voice low, seductive.
"No, sadly there seems to be none. I have tested every means, the cells just regenerate. Are you certain it must be terminated?"
"Very. She puts too many at risk of discovery."
"I'll see to it." She narrowed her eyes, fury rising like a storm within her blood. Termination would not come for her but for those who had put her in this box. Turning her attention to the three guards she raised a brow at the lust in the eyes skimming over her body. The thin scrubs did little to hide the generous curves of her breasts, or her the curve of her hips.
She watched their lips move, listened as the bell sounded for the next shift and moved back into the growing shadows of her prison. The vague thought they would be in for a suprise drew a smile.
"We're coming." Soft, familiar, warm the voice whispered through her head. "We love you Mom, remember that. Remember us, because we're coming...and Dad's going to get you out no matter what!"
"Be careful, and come soon." she whispered to the night. "Because I don't think I'm strong enough to do this again."
WIth the sickening squish of metal and flesh meeting, she extended her claws. "You want me, come and get me." Low, deadly, the warning wasn't heeded as the trio stepped into her territory. The long black prod in his hand was sliced as he raised it, her claws catching him in the groin and ripping upward. Before he'd hit the ground she had the second pinned to the wall with her claws through him. The third stood, a wet spot spreading around his groin. "Shall we dance?" She dropped her prey and advanced on the third man who quivered in fear. Grabbing him she pulled him against her, his body shaking. "They call me Carnage. Weapon X and Excalibur come for me now. You will beg for mercy before I am done with you. Death is too good for the likes of you."
Her claws slid beneath the flesh of his chest, slicing through muscle and bone. Painful, bloody, but not deadly. Not yet. "Tell me who sent you and I may be merciful."
"I don't know." Panting in agony he danged from her claws a moment before she spotted the open cell door. Using him as a sheild she stepped into the hall and sniffed. The night guard had settled, leaving only a few poor souls between her and escape.
Her head whipped at the pitiful whimper from behind a door across the hall. "What is in that room?"
"Another mutant. The doctor's are going to use her to..." The soldier whimpered, tears streaming down his face.
"She is mine." Carnage slid her claws free, whirled him onto his knees and jerked his head back. With a low rumbling snarl she slid a single claw across his throat leaving him gurgling and drowning in his own blood. She raised a fist, slashed the lock and pushed the door open.
Sitting on the floor, her blouse ripped, her jeans stained with dirt and grass, a young girl sat huddled against the wall. Bruises covered her face and throat. Carnage inhaled, her rage eased for a moment when she detected neither blood nor semen. "Come on, girl. If you want out, you'll quit crying and come."
Carnage smiled at the girl who leapt to her feet and hurried toward her, the faint rattle of scales and gills telling her more than anything the girl was an Aquatic. Pausing at the lab door, she glanced at the girl, taking in the lizardlike eyes, the sharp, pointed teeth and drew her lips back in a smile. "Stick with me kid, I'll get you out and then I'm going hunting a red-headed bitch."
This story archived at http://wolverineandrogue.com/wrfa/viewstory.php?sid=3125