Rebirth by aranenumenesse
Summary: "We have a deal."
Categories: AU Characters: None
Genres: Shipper
Tags: None
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: WAR
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 1185 Read: 3675 Published: 12/28/2008 Updated: 12/28/2008
Story Notes:
Couldn't let them go. Not yet.

1. Chapter 1 by aranenumenesse

Chapter 1 by aranenumenesse
Author's Notes:
This story is complete for now. This is intended as an epilogue to the series, since I wasn't completely satisfied to the original ending.
For a long while he spent wandering around in the compound, avoiding well-meaning men and women in lab coats. Their smiles and curious, frankly quite intrusive attitude made his skin crawl. He wasn’t one of them; he knew that on an instinctive level. He was a product, made to study and observe. Yet he was unable to detect any hint of malice towards him. They let him be. There were no restrictions placed upon him aside ones he himself had created. He was allowed to go where he pleased, when it suited him. He was allowed to do what pleased him when he felt like doing something. Only once he was asked to stop, soon after they discovered him experimenting with different methods of killing himself. He stopped trying, not because they asked him to, but because he had reached a conclusion. It was futile. He was unable to terminate himself.

Days flew by, some of them quicker than others, some dragging on slower than a trickle of tar on a cold afternoon. They all blend in to one meaningless stretch of existence until one day everything changed. They brought her to him and he begun to remember.

She looked exactly like the second time he saw her. Slender figure, pale skin. Long, sable hair flowing over her back and shoulders. Eyes cast downwards shyly, flickering back and forth, glimmering from curiosity and a hint of mischief, and when she smiled he could see her soul, radiating compassion and companionship.

She had been lost earlier, just like him. Born and raised in a different compound, far away from here. She had been wandering around aimlessly, clearly missing something, yet she had been unable to tell what it was that she needed, what she craved. For the longest while scientists responsible for their resurrection had been puzzled in front of their odd behavior, but then they had managed to reconstruct the last phases of the war. They had been able to track down the event that had ended it all. Most importantly, they finally had seen behind the veil of mystery that hid the truth about metal skeleton infused with corrosive blue substance.

At first, when the skeleton was discovered, speculations had been running wild. Rumors of a last, decisive battle had spread. Traces of not one, but two different DNA’s led the scientists to believe that slightly distorted skeleton was all that was left of a battle between two genetically engineered beings. Sheer curiosity had made them to take the fragile building blocks of life and nurture them until they grew, separated from each other of course.

When it finally became clear that when genetic engineering had indeed been used to tamper with the creatures before in order to turn them in to living weapons researching them became soon the top priority. Strange similarities in their behavior lead scientists to study them even closer and they made their startling discovery while researching dreams of their subjects.

Both of the creatures dreamt of similar happenings. In those dreams they were far from mortal enemies.
Meetings were held. Messages traded. Studies were compared and checked. Old archives, dating back to the final stretches of the period of destruction were opened and the whole truth was revealed.
“We should let them go,” was the final judgment.

----------------------------------------------------------

For a long while he could just stare at her. Marie. His Marie. She was standing right in front of him, glimmer of hope in her eyes.
“Logan?” Sound of her voice confirmed what his other senses had already told him. She was real. She was as real as the open door little further down the corridor. She was really standing there.
“Kid…” He reached with a trembling hand, fingers grazing her cheek gently before landing on her shoulder. She felt somehow smaller. More fragile than he remembered. Gone was the bitter survivalist he had learned to know during their last years together. In her place stood the waitress from a seedy bar, her eyes soon filling with tears as she took a step forward to close the gap that separated them.
“What do we do now?” She whispered when he pulled her to his embrace. He nuzzled her neck through the veil of her hair, savoring the familiar scent.
“We could make a deal…” He croaked, slightly miffed over the tightness he could feel at the back of his throat.
“A deal?”
“Yeah. You stay with me. Talk with me…” He murmured, leaning back so that he could see her face. She was smiling.
“And in return you keep me safe?” She asked one eyebrow arched, seemingly contemplating his offer. Suddenly she pulled away from him, extended her hand and took his palm, then shook it.
“We have a deal,” they spoke in unison.

Door of the compound closed behind them when they walked out. Sun was shining high on the sky. Lush forest around them was whispering in the wind, full of promises. A narrow path lead in to the thicket and they followed it, both alert, expecting the inevitable. Surely they would come. They would come and take them back in to the compound.

“But they’ll have to work for it,” Logan grunted as Marie voiced over her concern of possible captivity.
“They were stupid enough to let us go. If they want us back… Too bad. Not going to happen,” he practically growled, leading her further in to the woods, away from the compound, away from prying eyes. He had no idea of where they were or what awaited at the other side of the forest, but they’d deal with it when they got there.

That night they slept under the stars. Rustling leaves and soft moss made a soft mattress. Small stream bubbling nearby provided water and they ate berries and nuts they found before they curled down together, falling to a deep, restful sleep. At some time before dawn they both suddenly woke up. Neither was tired anymore.
“But it isn’t safe to wander around in the darkness. Not when we don’t know what’s out there…” Marie whispered. He agreed. With his senses he would have easily detected any kind of threat directed at them, but he sensed that there were more than issues of safety in her mind. It became quite obvious when she begun to unbutton his shirt and kissing him. He was more than willing to follow her actions, and soon she was straddling his naked from, equally naked, his throbbing cock buried to the hilt to her soft and slick core, both of them gasping for the air, trying to overcome the flow of emotions and feelings that their joining awoke.

It was an exercise in futility. Their feelings run deep, it was impossible to try and keep them at bay. They laughed and wept shamelessly, rolling in leaves and caressing each other, making sure in the most profound way that everything was good and right in their own little patch of the universe before falling asleep again, locked tightly together, exhausted but sated.
This story archived at http://wolverineandrogue.com/wrfa/viewstory.php?sid=3120