Death Drives A Mini-Van by noVa451
Summary: It’s been a few years since X2 and things happened and not everyone’s where they expected to be. Logan’s world is opened up when he’s asked to help assist in the transportation of a special package.
Categories: X2, X-Men Evolution Characters: None
Genres: Drama
Tags: None
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 37 Completed: Yes Word count: 57811 Read: 284774 Published: 12/27/2008 Updated: 01/28/2009
‘There’s no rest in peace’ by noVa451
“She looks more upbeat than the rest of us,” Jaime remarked as he slowly pulled the lid of the coffin back down.

Silently, Logan kept his eyes on Rogue’s body until it was fully obscured by the lid.

They once again found themselves in the back of some warehouse Pietro had broken into for them. It wasn’t convenient for them to stop off at a motel when they’d have to leave the coffin unattended. The front part of the warehouse was some kind of store. They were keeping the coffin in the storage room while they all convened in the supposed break room. There was a beaten up couch and a few chairs spread out.

Jaime walked over towards the dingy looking fridge and opened it. “Nothing good at all,” he sighed.

Wanda was sitting in one of the chairs, unusually quiet.

A green and black blur suddenly zoomed through the room and Pietro landed in a chair beside his sister.

“Just checked the perimeter and no one is around. Pretty quiet for now.”

“No black SUV’s or white unmarked vans?” Jaime voiced as he landed on the couch beside Logan.

“No,” Pietro answered bluntly.

“So who were those guys?” Jaime proceeded to ask.

“Wanda was right,” Logan started and ignored the raised eyebrows he got in response. “They weren’t working for Magneto. They were trained soldiers and the woman wasn’t keen on giving away her boss’ name and Magneto has never shied away from throwing his name around.”

Pietro seemed to mull what he said over and accepted it with a nod.

“None of you recognized that woman?” Logan questioned.

All three of them shook their heads no.

Logan sighed as he leaned forward. “I think maybe they were government.”

Wanda’s eyes widened at that. “Why? If they had been the police or what have you they would have arrested us.”

“And here I was thinking you were the most cynical bitch I knew,” Logan replied back. “I can tell you haven’t had a lot of involvement with the government.”

“Been too busy staying ahead of my father,” she issued back.

Logan smirked and nodded his head in acceptance. “They might be a separate organization, controlled by someone with the status and money to be operating a private section within the government.”

“But why would they want Rogue?” Jaime asked in confusion.

Logan stood up as he started to pace. “You have no idea, even the tiniest clue as to what she was involved in before she died? She didn’t leave anything?”

“No,” Pietro answered as both Jaime and Wanda consented.

“Don’t you think we looked?”

Logan waved him off as he moved back and forth behind the couch.

“They only wanted to burn her body and with the man power they had, they probably know of Dead Girl and her powers or perhaps as the woman said her boss is especially neurotic when it comes to his secrets.”

“Okay,” Jaime started as he stood up. “Let me get this straight. Now we have two female mutants after us and it’s not as though Dead Girl herself wasn’t enough but now we have one who has no doubt the supply of a small army behind her to use. So now we have a little under 34 hours left until we’re out of the clear with Dead Girl. So suppose we make it through that without incident will just stash Rogue’s body and pretend we already cremated her ourselves and that will get those crazy ass Rambo wannabes off our asses.”

“It’s possible,” Pietro replied. “But something makes me think after the way we just finished off those ‘Rambo wannabes’ they won’t be so keen on asking questions first, more like shooting first and no questions later.”

“Whatever Rogue knew, they want it to be protected by any means,” Wanda voiced distractedly.

A quiet reverie settled over them as they each wondered how deep they were in and about the mystery that had been the woman they had all known as Rogue.

“Listen, we’ll each take shifts and try and get a few hours of sleep and we’ll be back on the road,” Pietro instructed.

Jaime in response was already stretched out on the couch with his eyes closed.

“I’ll take the first shift,” Logan volunteered.

Pietro nodded.

“Where we headed anyways?” he asked.

A small smirk quirked at Pietro’s lips. “We’re just a few towns over from that dive we found you in.”

“We’ve been driving in a circle,” Logan responded sceptically.

“There was no designated route to take, it wasn’t going to be safe any way but at least going in a circle would be one of the least likely choices. It took Magneto this long enough to even catch up to us.”

“And what happens after this is done? Won’t Magneto still be after you and your sister?”

A lazy smirk made its way on to Pietro’s lean face.

“You’ve seen only a glimpse at what my sister and I are capable of. Magneto knows to be wary of us, why do you think he hasn’t come for us himself?”

“He’s a coward,” Logan supplied with little effort.

“He’s becoming an old man,” Pietro remarked. “Even he has to pick and choose his battles now. His ego may be inflated but he’s smart enough to realize he can’t achieve all his glory by always spreading his time thin. My sister and I will just always be a constant back thought in his head until he see’s us serving more of a purpose.”

“Before careful what that purpose is,” Logan spoke with sudden discretion. His thoughts were on Magneto’s machine and the purpose the Master of Magnetism had personally seen Rogue was fit to serve.
This story archived at http://wolverineandrogue.com/wrfa/viewstory.php?sid=3119