Futures Unknown by askita
Summary: In a world where mutants are hunted, and the line between friend and foe are skewed, you have to know who to trust, learn how to hide, and look after your own.
Categories: AU Characters: None
Genres: Action, Adult, General, Shipper
Tags: None
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 5 Completed: No Word count: 21891 Read: 26423 Published: 12/04/2008 Updated: 02/10/2009
Story Notes:
***** indicates memories
~*~*~*~ indicates section break

1. Chapter 1 by askita

2. Chapter 2 by askita

3. Chapter 3 by askita

4. Chapter 4 by askita

5. Chapter 5 by askita

Chapter 1 by askita
Author's Notes:
In a world where mutants are hunted, and the line between friend and foe are skewed, you have to know who to trust, learn how to hide, and look after your own.
When someone leaves you to die, you don’t particularly want to speak to them ever again. Which was exactly my reaction when I realized that the leader of the X-men was knocking at the inner sanctum of my thoughts. I locked him out, focusing for a moment to reinforce my shields, like our resident telepath taught me. She says it’s the same as having a bank vault slammed in your face. Although, how Lillian would know what a bank vault in the face is like I’m not exactly sure. I try not to think of what she might have done before I met her.

Before we were hunted. That thought leads me to the reason I’m waiting for Vic in a rundown diner two towns over from where Logan and I, and our small band of runners are staying. You see, there’s been some really fucked up things happened to me in the last 8 years. Maybe I should start from the beginning. I’m Marie. I live off grid. Way the fuck off grid. I’m really good with computers.

Logan, he’s my husband, used to get worried when I would get online, or use the pre-paid cell, but he’s fairly cool with it now. Probably because they’ve saved our asses more than once. It’s like a grudging respect for technology. I’ve even gotten really good at constantly bouncing routers and taping into government satellites without them even knowing. We switch the phone every couple of months. It’s not hard, the things are completely untraceable. You can get one at any Best Buy, Wal-Mart, or Target around. Even grocery stores are carrying them now.

But I digress. When I was 18, right after high school, my mutation surfaced. Yep, I’m a mutant. I have deadly skin, that, if I so choose, can kill you in a matter of seconds. Only one person has ever survived. I should warn you that nearly everything brings me back to Logan. The diner I’m sitting in reminds me of the first place we ate when he saved my ass outside of some fight bar in Southern Ontario. I had been freshly able to drink in the great Province, and had proven so by ordering my very first legal drink. You’re legal at 19 there, so I still had a while if I felt like drinking in the States. Not that it mattered, fight bars don’t card you.

I had seen him in the ring. It was a sight, and I found myself quite mesmerized. Maybe that’s why I as paying too little attention to my surroundings. Maybe that’s why I made a mistake I hadn’t made but once in the entire time I’d been on the road. No matter where you are, your drink is sacred. Treat it like your life depends on its purity because more often than not it does.

I forgot one of the many Golden Rules of hitching that night. At the time, I just assumed they served stronger stuff than most, or the bartender had given me the good shit, instead of the bottom label whiskey they normally handed out with coke. I know now, that it was drugged. I also know now that Logan had noticed me as soon as I entered. As a matter of fact, he’d been keeping close tabs on me and was headed over, when I took a turn for the worst.

I had gotten terribly hot, and sweaty, and my vision was blurring. I thought that the crisp fall air would help. I hadn’t realized I was being followed, they had realized they were being followed. It was only seconds before I was alone and being accosted. I was so out of it I was barely able to keep my skin from touching theirs. One of them knocked me unconscious just as I heard Logan begin to howl. When I awoke seconds later, they hadn’t hit me very hard, Logan was beating one of the men nearly to death the others prostrate at his feet. Unconscious. I moaned low and I think that’s what caught his attention.

That was the very first time Logan’s fist got me out of trouble. It’s not that I get into trouble all the time, it’s just that men are pigs. He gave me a place to crash and took me to a diner the next day. Haven’t been apart since. At least, not of our own accord. We spent that winter in a spacious cabin in the Columbia Mountains in British Columbia. I was taught they were called the Rocky Mountains, but Canada and America have their differences of opinion on lots of things I’ve learned. It was the best winter of my life. Partly because I spent the entire time alone with Logan, partly because there was this wall of windows that gave me the most beautiful sunrise I’ve ever scene in my life every morning, but mostly, it’s because that’s where I first learned to control the most basic, deadly aspect of my mutation.

Two years passed. Traveling, working, living. The things we’d been denied by society. I learned complete control over my abilities. I can touch with no repercussions, touch and read thoughts, touch and take life, touch and give life (that ones pretty complicated, I can’t bring someone back to life, but I can give them my strength). I can take powers and give them, transfer them and copy them. I can keep them forever, for only a short while, for as long as I want and discard them whenever. If I’m sleeping, I still, on a subconscious level, have control over my skin. But, if I’m unconscious, weather from a blow to the head, or a chemically induced sleep, I can’t.

I just keep getting off topic. Those first two years were great. Not a hitch, it wasn’t exactly picture perfect, but we got married and did our best. I didn’t like Logan cage fighting, so we decided to save up enough money to buy in at one of our favorite bars. Enough so that Logan and I got jobs bartending and waiting tables for as long as we want. We built a cabin on a small piece of land. As soon as I was able, Logan had me copy his healing and senses into my own mutation. He didn’t want me to ever be caught off guard or hurt again.

That’s where they found us. If I sound disgusted and annoyed all in one I am. I was 21, Logan and I had been married for a little over a year. I’m talking about the infamous X-Men. They weren’t exactly looking for me. They’d come in looking for Logan. It was common practice that anyone asking after me or Logan, weather they were talking to me or someone else, was sent straight to Logan. The sight of the pretty boy in the red shades, and his classy redheaded woman friend should have told me that this was only the beginning of a long rocky road, but it didn’t.

I sent them to Logan, we locked eyes for a split second and had a whole conversation right then. The redhead smiled at me and dismissed me with curt thanks. The guy with the funny shades grinned at me, and I swear he was ogling me behind the lenses. I remember thinking that it wouldn’t do him any good to be having those kinds of thoughts while talking to Logan. They’d stayed at the bar all night, trying to convince them to come back with him.

He’d told me later that they thought someone was after him. Magneto, but that’s getting ahead of the story. They hung around ‘til closing, which let me scuttling around the bar, keeping busy. They talked him about nothing important for the first fifteen minutes, I could tell they had wanted me to leave before they began the real talk. This was my first dilemma. From our silent conversation earlier, I could tell he wanted them to know nothing about me. I was to be a blip in the background. I also knew that they weren’t going to say a word to him until I had left.

I didn’t know who or what they we, but I’d heard stories, and I kept my thoughts directly on my work. I’d finished my closing tasks in 15 minutes, but Logan would have killed me if I had attempted to walk home by myself, so I had to find something else to do. We had three modes of transportation, and today we had opted to walk to work. We’d had a few run-ins in the years before that, and had come to the agreement that I don’t do things outside alone. Immediately I began the internal list of things I did before we closed down for a long holiday. It would add another hour to the task, and keep me in the back, and storage rooms for at least 45 minutes.

I tried really hard not to listen, which wasn’t all that hard in hindsight. Sometimes Logan found out things from his unknown past, and I wanted him to tell me himself. It felt like an invasion of privacy when I listened in on my husbands conversations, enhanced senses or not.

Eventually he had gotten them to leave, and we were on our way home. That’s when I heard the far fetched story about Magneto and his band of merry men. Suddenly I was lost in thought about a world I cared very little about. Political intrigue, mutant rights, bad guys, good guys, age old hatred, war. These were all bad things and I remember thinking in that exact moment, that nothing good can come of it. Boy, was I in for a whopper.

It wasn’t long after, maybe a week, that things took that downward turn I had been thinking about. It’s still hard for me to come to grips with how much on an integral part we played in the changing of the world. Logan and I were on our way to a lumber yard. We’d settled into a pattern of sorts. We still spent the better portion of winter in our cabin in the Rockies. (I still call them that, annoys the daylights out of Logan, but he doesn’t correct me anymore.) He built most of the furniture we used, and every now and then, he’d make a piece special for the cabin. It’s amazing the things that he can do with his hands.

That’s when Vic, or as he went by then, Sabertooth, attacked us. Basically a big fight, that I couldn’t help with because I was trapped in the tuck. It had flipped, and was on fire, I was screaming. I think that was the first time I’d ever wished I had copied Logan’s claws too, because he was unconscious and Vic had turned his attention to me. Here’s where the X-men make their second appearance. At the time, I was supremely shocked to see one of the most beautiful black women I’d ever seen come floating down out of the air. And Glasses Guy was there, wearing some kind of Star Trek visor. He’d shot Vic with a blast of red light, (which I found out later was one of the hardest things he’d ever had the opportunity to heal) and he went flying.

They got us out of there, Logan was still unconscious and I was worried. Nearly in hysterics when they got us aboard their jet, the pretty redhead from before gave me some quadruple dose of some sleeping narcotic, because the first three didn’t work. Healing and all. I woke up in a room, clothed from head to toe, and with a raging head. I calmed the voices and banished them without knowing who they were. Someone must have touched me while I’d been drugged, because otherwise they would have left some skin showing.

That was the first time I’d worn gloves in a year and a half, and I couldn’t stop the flood tide of emotion that overwhelmed me at the sight of them. I was crying and wearing strange clothes. Those didn’t smell like Logan and I wanted mine back, but I couldn’t find them. I left the gloves and the helpless feeling that went with them on the floor of the room. I must have looked wild while I searched for any trace of Logan’s scent, because the children and adults that I passed shied away from me. It brought another wave of shame and tears, reminding me of the days when I couldn’t control my mutation and people stayed as far away as possible.

I was beginning to loose my mind. Why weren’t any of these people offering my help? Where the hell was I? I’d caught two or three of the barest traces of Logan before they were gone so quickly I’d thought I imagined them. There were voices echoing in my head, driving me nuts. Going this way and that. Down one empty corridor to another. I tried ignoring them, but got so far turned around that I didn’t know which way they wanted me to go, and I didn’t know which way to avoid.
The redhead caught me going around a corner, and jerked back like I’d hit her. The fear and insecurity of that day is so fresh in my mind, sometimes it’s like watching a movie.

*****


“Where is he?” I screamed.

“The man you were riding with?” she asked. She was still standing away from me. I could smell my own nervousness and fear that I wondered if maybe she could too.

“He’s safe.” She replied, reaching out a hand tentatively toward me. Maybe she could smell my mood. “Why don’t’ you come with me and lie down, you may still have some injuries.”

She kept her hand hovering near my elbow. Maybe she’s the one who’d touched me. If so, wouldn’t she be unconscious? Maybe it didn’t last as long on mutants. I was sure at that moment that she was one. Why else would she be so comfortable around me. “Where?” I growled. I’d managed to maintain a small portion of Logan’s personality, to help me out in situations just like this one. He thought I was sexy when I growled.

I took a good whiff of her scent, memorizing it learning it for tracing later if necessary. Besides, I wanted to know whenever the good doctor was around. “If you don’t tell me, I’ll just find it myself, and you wont’ like that outcome.”

She drew here eyebrows together, studying me. I felt a curious nudging in my head, and pushed back. I’m very skilled in my own head. You have to be with a power like mine. Logan thinks that being able to access more of my brain is part of my mutation, since I take on personalities and memories of everyone I touch. I think I agree.

“Who is he to you?” She had balls, this bitch. It’s obvious I’m in a really bad fucking mood, and here she is, hinting about my personal relationships. I was too angry to comply.

“None of your goddamn business. Tell me where to find him.” I snarled. She got this funny dazed look on her face and asked me to follow her. The only problem with keeping a little bit of Logan’s personality is dealing with the feral side of the man I love. It’s a little hard to handle. And when people are doing things, like deliberately keeping me from my husband, I get a little bit unpredictable. So when I walked through the big sliding metal doors, and saw him laying there, barely covered, and hooked up to medical equipment I nearly lost it.

Some people just don’t know a fucking thing. Excuse my language. I sprinted toward him, reaching out for the wires, determined to save him from the horror of waking up to the seeming reality of another nightmare. What I didn’t expect, during my haze of fear, was to be frozen solid where I stood. My fingers were mere inches from his arm, and I longed to touch him, to prove to myself that he was really there.

“Why do you want to touch him when you know you will hurt him?” Stupid-bad-dye-job-redheaded-slut.
“I would never. Who the fuck are you? What do you want with us? Don’t you realize what is going on? You need to unhook him and get him out of here. You’re not making anything better.” I was idly amazed that I could talk and move my head around, because I turned to glare at her, but still not move my body. “And fucking let me go!”

“You need to put your gloves on first. You injured one of our team, and we can’t have you running around willy nilly touching people.” My jaw actually dropped. She was talking to me like a child. In her 30+ years of life I’d bet she’d never experienced half of what I did spending a year on the road. Besides, I was 21 years old. How dare she!

“I’m not having this conversation with you. Leave me the fuck alone. Let me go, and undo him.”

“I’m sorry, that’s just not possible.” Then, there was a searing pain and I saw black.

*****


I remember waking up in that same room again, but this time strapped down and gloved up. The fear, anger, resentment, and utter panic had me screaming in seconds. Glasses Guy and the Fly Girl (my own personal nicknames) came running. The panic was acute and I wanted out. Eventually they let me up, and had me wondering why Logan hadn’t come running. The doors were locked, and Fly Girl, whom I was told was called Storm, was sitting with me, trying to pry the details of my relationship with Logan out of me. I wouldn’t budge, until my stomach rumbled and she changed tactics.

The only downfall I’ve ever settled upon about the healing factor is that I eat my weight in food every day. And I hadn’t had anything for who knows how long. A girl can only handle so much, and when a large plate of food loaded up with everything a girl could ask for was wheeled in, I spilled between bites. I was not prepared for their reaction. That started a two-day, yes two-fucking-day, marathon of questions about my age, being taken advantage of, had I been coerced… Every question you can think of as to why I had ended up with a man at least 10 years older than me. I was not going to tell them he was probably a hundred years older than me.

I’m not sure what they had been giving him to keep him under, and I was getting worried, because all anyone would tell me was that he was safe. I knew that he could pretty much get himself out of anything, barring the fact that they had an adamantium encased cell, and I was getting worried that he hadn’t come for me. Not because I was worried about any of those girly heart-breaky feelings, but because there were only a few things that could keep him down.

Xavier came in at the end of the second day, asking me all kinds of questions, and putting me in this weird trancelike relaxed state that I was sure he was artificially creating, and I didn’t want to answer his questions but I did. They left each night, locking the door, and I found myself once again wishing I’d had Logan’s claws.

It was the second night, after they’d locked me in, that I found myself crying in bed. It was so lonely and I just wanted Logan. I thought I imagined his scent until I heard the faint ‘snikt’. I was out of bed and standing about 3 feet from the door when it swung open.

Thinking back, its odd how instead of launching myself into his arms, like I wanted to, I sank boneless to the floor. He was there to catch me of course. He kicked the door closed and held me while I spilled the entire ordeal in hushed whispers and choking sobs. He kissed my face and then we made love. I’m sure that everyone in the mansion heard me.

The next morning was interesting. The door wouldn’t close the night before, so it was gaping open a bit. I remember waking up flat out on my stomach, sheets riding low, half on top of Logan. Three things had happened simultaneously that morning. I smelled others and immediately snapped my eyes open. Logan leapt from the bed. Glasses Guy and Fly Girl swung the door open.

I remember seeing them clearly because I had been facing the door, I also remember scrambling to pull the sheets up from where Logan had disturbed them (and me) during his launch. Glasses Guy was ogling. Fly Girl was remarkably calm and poised. The Good Doctor, whom I’m assuming had come running at someone’s startled yell, was also ogling and managing to look perfect doing it. The Bitch.

There was lots of arguing and screaming and cowering. That last one was just me, I was severely afraid that somehow they were going to take me from him. I mean, legally, they couldn’t. That thought hadn’t lessened my fear any. The three of them had managed to see them selves out while Logan and I dressed. I had put my gloves on and when Logan saw them he’d nearly lost it. Snatched them off my hands and tossed them across the room.

“I never, ever want to see those things on you again, unless you’re freezing.” He’d said it calmly, but he was looking in my eyes and no more needed to be said. He pulled a few more layers off of me, leaving me in a tank and a long sleeve shirt. I never quite realize how easy it is to fall back into old habits when you’re around people who treat you like a leper. I’d even told them I had control; but she knocks me unconscious, and touches my skin, and suddenly it’s my fault.

I’d laced up my boots, threw on my coat (since I still couldn’t find my own clothes I had to make due) and we went in search of Logan’s things. We had been on our way to the Med-Bay when Scott, (I’d given up on my nicknames when I was telling Logan everything that happened when he was asleep) and Jean stopped us.

*****


“Where do you think you’re going?” Scott said, obviously annoyed at the thought of our leaving.

Snarling Logan turned on him. “Wherever the fuck we want to go.”

Since we’d been here I’ve taken to shrinking away, and I could tell it bothered Logan more than he was letting on. A low growl came from his throat as he noticed Scott’s eyes on me again. The other man quickly looked away.

“Well, you can leave if you really want to, and Xavier would like to speak with you as well. But I think that Marie should stay with us. It’s not right for her to be staying with you.” The Bitch has found her voice, and I’ll be damned if she isn’t spewing condescending shit out of it.

“I think that it’s none of your damned business if I go with Logan or not.”

“Well, for now.” That mother fucking-

“Listen, I’ll go and talk to this Xavier of yours, but I’m not leaving Marie anywhere. And I suggest you keep your comments to yourself.”

*****


We went toward Xavier’s office and I explained to Logan everything thing I thought about the man, on the way. I told Logan about the knocking in my head from Jean, and what I’d recently learned about each person’s powers. I told him about the trancelike state I’d been put in, and I told him what the knocking felt like. I hadn’t wanted to sit in on the conversation, seeing as how I’d had my fill of action for the last few days, so instead I found my way to the library.

An hour passed, during which time I’d found a corner and tried to read a copy of ‘Emma’. Turns out I was the topic of the local high school gossip. Ever since I’d learned the tidbit that this was a school, I’d been on the look out for students. It was interesting to see others like me. Others that weren’t locking me up and telling me that my husband was taking advantage of me.

The word on the grape vine was that a young girl had shown up unconscious with an older man in tow. She had deadly skin, he had claws. It was like some plot of a torrid romance novel absent the happy ending. Word was out that Glasses Guy, Fly Girl, and The Bitch had caught us nude together (yes, I went back to the nicknames). They talk like we’re not married. Maybe they didn’t tell them. What did they think it wasn’t legal or anything?

I was fuming when Logan collected me from the library. I prefer anger to all my other emotions, but sometimes the others win. It’d been a long time though. Things had been so good, I should have known better before all that shit started. Logan told me how Xavier told him that this Magneto guy had plans, and they didn’t know what they were. Logan wanted to get out right away, but Xavier said he could pool his contacts for info about his past, and try to find something out. Dangle the right bait, and you’ll agree to anything. Xavier sure has a built in knack for finding the right bait.

So, we were sticking around. Logan talked to them, a lot. I avoided them as little as possible. Logan laid ground rules and refused to show documentation of our marriage. They had three days, before we took off again. I’m afraid that was my fault. Logan knew I was uncomfortable, but when people tend to treat you like a leper, it rubs pretty deep into your psyche.

It happened the afternoon of the day we left. Xavier had told us that Logan was part of some program called ‘Weapon X’ and gave him a list of names to contact. He had warned us about a few in particular, but I memorized the entire list anyway. It’s a good thing to have an ear out for. We had stopped at a small eatery, preferring not to eat in the borrowed Tahoe. Logan and I had been walking back to said Tahoe, his inability to move alarming us early. We had been warned of Magneto’s power. Logan had this ludicrous idea for me to run. In hindsight, I don’t think it would have made a difference.

When I belatedly took Logan’s advice to run, Toad quickly caught up to me. Vic was right behind him. The last thing I remember hearing was Logan screaming in his berserker rage, frozen where he stood.

I got the rest of the story days later. Apparently I’d been kept in a chemical induced coma, which made my powers uncontrollable. Magneto had called Xavier, asking him once more to join him in the battle against humans. A battle in which I was to be the weapon of choice, and an unwilling participant. Xavier refused, (of course) told him he didn’t approve of the plan and the way he was carrying it out. You see, Magneto had a machine; he hooked me up to it. This spectacular machine needed his powers to run. Somehow he found out that he could transfer his powers to me and I could run this machine. See, the reason they wanted someone else to do it, is because on the grandiose scale they were going to use, it would have killed him.

We’re still not sure if Magneto knew I had healing or not. It’s quite unsettling to know that he might have killed me. I mean, Vic could’ve touched me, if he’d known. It’s all kinda sketchy. You see, Victor is a mercenary. He doesn’t fight for any cause unless it’s his own. He follows the money, and apparently Magneto had lots of it. So, Xavier refused to send his team in. Actually Magneto had set up the place to blow if they got involved, and Xavier was willing to trade my life for theirs.

Logan makes it to me after quite a few battles. He’d fought Toad (who is literally a mutant with toad like abilities), and Mystique (who is a shapeshifter; she can change her size, look, voice, gender she can also pretty much kick ass), and Magneto. He was still so weak from having given unconscious me his powers, that he couldn’t even control the metal anymore. Also, he managed to turn every one of the world leaders, and other humans in attendance that day, into mutants. They’re all dead now. Something about their bodies not being able to handle the forced mutations.

A war broke out. Kinda like the civil war, but with the humans against the mutants, obviously the mutants lost. Half of those who fought were slain. The other half went into hiding. Since then, half of those free have been either massacred, or sold into slavery with suppression collars or bracelets, or some other type of jewelry. They prefer collars, makes us more obvious as different.

The ones that were put into slavery were sold. Into camps or private homes. I guess the old constitution didn’t cover that the first time around. Every baby born is checked for the mutant gene, if they’re found to have it, they’re removed from their parents and sent to live with mutant couples already in captivity. Can you imagine having your children ripped from you before you get to meet them, luckily Logan can tell when I’m ripe (for lack of a better word), so we just don’t. I couldn’t live though that. I’ve come to think that the children brought into slavery will just be even more hateful mutants.

It’s surprisingly fitting, but Xavier and his school managed to move to Finland before the controversy broke out. Magneto is dead now, along with Toad. Mystique is off grid too, but Vic has latched onto our underground mutant ring. Guess he considers it his cause.

Which kinda brings me to why I’m here. That waitress over there is the epitome of every diner waitress I’ve had the privilege to meet. Someone’s seen Vic in the parking lot. There’s always a reaction. There’s a girl over there that just got a little bit horny. There’s a guy at the bar who’s just a little scared. The waitress’s and cooks could care less, even when he walks in the door and towers over everyone.

It’s odd, to see Vic in ‘Underground Chic’ (I’m hilarious), I’m guessing the first thing that people notice about him, is his height. I’m looking at him through my eyelashes as he comes toward me, it would draw too much attention if I openly stared. His hair is cropped short now, darker than you would think, maybe it lightens when it grows out. He’s got this goatee thing going on, along his jaw line and around his mouth, cropped really close. He’s got these really intense brown eyes, like milk chocolate, or chestnut. They’re lying eyes, because he can make you believe anything. I’ve had the opportunity to see Vic in a feral rage once. Logan was there, and the testosterone-Alpha-male-old-friends-at-each-others-throats stuff was so thick, you could cut it with a butter knife.

He slides into the booth across from me, and smiles at the pretty waitress while he orders coffee. I pick up my own cup, and greet him with a nod. I notice he’s wearing black leather gloves on his hands, he strips them off and rubs them together. They’re just as big as the rest of his frame. She’s pouring his coffee and chatting with him, and I look him over. We only meet like this once a month, and we shoot for different days and places each time. It’s dangerous otherwise.

He’s got on jeans, I’d noticed this when he came in, and from what I can tell, a thermal undershirt, several layers of shirts over that. There really is only one mode of dress when you’re in the Canadian Wilds and winter is coming. He startles me by speaking first.

“You have to move.” Hold the fucking train, this is a little heavier than we usually start conversation.

“What?” I couldn’t have been more confused. Vic had to be out of his goddamn mind.

“Look, they know, not precisely where, but they know in your area. They know about your powers, and Logan’s, they know about Lillian and Eli. They don’t have detailed descriptions, just two men, and two women. They know you’re couples, they’ll be on the look out. Look, we can talk more back at the cabin, Hazel and I will follow you back.” I eyed him skeptically the whole time, I have no idea how Logan would react to Vic and Hazel coming to the cabin. He was tense though, I could smell it, and some kind of detached fear. Hazel must be in his truck,

Fuck it, Logan can deal with this shit however he wants to. “What about the other safe houses?” I ask, taking a sip of my coffee. I had to know if others were in danger as well.

“I haven’t heard anything. It’s almost as if it’s personal.” He growled after that.

“Let’s go see Logan.” I sighed.

~*~*~*~


The 40 minute drive was long and quiet, usually I play the radio and enjoy my little bit of solitude, pretend the world isn’t out to get me. Today wasn’t one of those days. I guess we’d gotten too comfortable here, Logan and Eli working and hunting days, Lillian and I waiting tables at night, we spent our mornings recovering, and our days keeping house. We had each weekends off. We had fallen into a relaxed rut.

Usually my visits to Rock Creek (where I meet Vic) are uneventful, I learn of any military movements, mobile medical units (they do random DNA checks on people they think might be mutants), rumors, or stragglers that need a rest. You see, in Osoyoos we had been set up as a stop of this sort of informal Underground Railroad. We keep appraised about what is going on by informal meetings.

Logan would generally be the one to do these meet-and-greets, but the same testosterone-Alpha-male-old-friends-at-each-others-throats stuff that I was talking about earlier, tends to get in the way. One says something, the other replies; it turns into a yelling match that draws attention. Which we don’t want, so I sacrifice one of my afternoons, every month and come see Vic. Have coffee, talk for a bit, and head home with some useful information. Of course today had to be different. I was heading home, Vic and his mate Hazel in tow, imminent danger hanging over our heads.

Logan’s truck was in the drive when we arrived, and he stepped out onto the porch when he realized it wasn’t just Lillian’s Jeep coming down the drive. I jumped out as soon as I could, and half, ran half sprinted into him. I’m freaking out here, we’ve gotta run again, and there’s no telling how long it’ll be for this time. We need to find ways to make money, places to stay (at least once a week), and we’ve gotta do it all off grid. We’ve got some money, in certain bank accounts that I’ve managed to spirit away.

It’s my opinion that we should just go to the Cayman Islands and buy two little huts (three now if Vic and Hazel are coming) like a football field apart, and just wait. No one thinks I’m serious though.

But back to my current drama, I’m effectively wrapped around Logan, and he scoops me up and into the house. It’s been 5 years since the incident at Xavier’s School for the Gifted, but I still find myself permanently changed by it. I still shrink away; certain situations still send me into shivers that I can’t control. I hate being locked up (I’ve developed a touch of claustrophobia, the kind where if I can’t move freely, or see an immediate out, I freak), I don’t take being separated from Logan for more than twelve hours very well, and I’ve realized that I’ve got a lot more feral in me than I originally thought.

He’s very sensitive to these changes, and he can tell I’m a little fragile with worry right now. We’re settled onto the couch, and I’m still buried into him. He smells of leather and carpentry, cigar smoke and Logan. It’s the most calming thing in the world to me. I wish I could bottle it. I want nothing more to crawl into our bed, and make love until I can’t move and his scent surrounds me, but I still have to wait tables later.

I tune back in, because they’re speaking now. “What have you heard?”

Vic growled a bit, not enjoying the second in command place he was forced into. “They know that two men and two women are living in Osoyoos, they know all four are mutants, and they know you’ve got metal in your bones, but it sounds as if in the Canadian government has been putting adamantium into a bunch more people in the last 22 years, so they’re not sure which one you are. They know they want you back, and they’re intrigued about which mutants you’d be hanging around with. They don’t know any identifying characteristics, and they don’t know any names.”

Logan rubbed my back absently, working over thoughts in his head. I glanced over at Hazel and smiled. I’d seen her many times over, and never stopped being amazed at her beauty. I’m not sure what she does, but it works. Her mutation is amazing. She’s a feral, heightened senses (but not as enhanced as ours) and she doesn’t age. She doesn’t heal, but for some reason her body just stops her from aging past about 25. She and I look about the same age, even though I haven’t aged in two years. I’m 26, but I look 24. I’ve never asked how old she is.

I often wonder how Vic feels about that, I’d never ask though. Not about the aging thing, about the healing thing. I can imagine that Logan knows how he feels, but I think I’d be crazy with worry all the time. Logan interrupted my thoughts.

“We do have to leave, we’ll proceed with our night like normal, but instead of coming home, we’ll take off.”

“Ugh, I don’t’ want to work tonight.” I mumbled, sounding like a child. I don’t give a shit. I gave Logan a specific look, which said ‘I want to stay in bed with you all night if we have to get back on the road.’ I frowned some more.

He pulled me in for a hard kiss and it was a minute before we came up for air. He stood, with me still wrapped around him, and shot a meaningful look at Eli, who shot off like a hawk. He looked at Lillian, sent her some random thought, (it was probably something in the lines of, ‘get laid in a bed while you still can’) and turned to look at Vic.

“You coming with us?”

“I figure that three couples traveling cross country will throw them off looking for us.”

“Be ready.” Logan said with a nod. Vic and Hazel were out the door and I heard their truck pulling out a matter of seconds later. Right before Logan kicked the door to our room shut.
End Notes:
Thanks Meg!

Comments and feedback are greatly appreciated!
Chapter 2 by askita
Author's Notes:
Ok, the challenge thing my have taken a nose dive, i recently got my computer fixed. Right now I plan on updating this often enough. I'm going to be rotating through all the stroies I've got going.


In danger of being discovered, a mad dash for safety leads to developments better left undiscovered.


There are some things, that no matter how many times they happen, you still hate them just as much every time. Personally, I’m amazed that Logan’s kept in his seat for the entire night. There are a lot of out-of-towners here, and every one of them has taken the opportunity to grab my ass. They’re here for the fights I assume, and I’m anxiously waiting, because Logan wants to fight, and that gets me pretty hot. We figure we’re leaving soon, so what the hell.



There’s this huge part of me that’s scared. I’ve been doing a pretty good job of hiding it, but not as well as I want. Logan and Vic know, and they keep staring at me, sending me calm down and toughen up vibes respectively. Hazel hasn’t noticed yet, but her senses aren’t as acute. I’m standing at the bar (the regular bartender has gone for a break, and I’m pretty good at filling in), filling orders and managing a glance at our table every now and then. Hazel’s drop dead gorgeous. Her dark brown hair is long, and arranged in that messy on purpose sorta way.



Her eyes are a darker brown than Vic’s. More like, coffee beans, or that soil you buy in bags that’s enriched and makes seeds grow into beautiful things. Sometimes that’s what I feel when I’m around Hazel, she’s enriching and beautiful, and makes things around her flourish. She turns them into beautiful things too. This is still only about the fourth time I’ve actually spoken to her, so I’m trying to imprint her scent, and the sounds she makes when she talks and moves into my memory for future reference. I play this game of watch and learn with everyone during the first few weeks.



A slew of people line up for drinks and by the time I look at the table again, she and Vic are gone. I scanned the crowd for a second before I saw them. She’s dancing in the middle of the floor a wide space around her, probably due to Vic standing at the edge of that distance, glaring everyone down. She moves sensually to the music, with a natural grace any woman would envy. I’m not exactly sure why she was named Hazel, everything about her is dark, her eyes her hair, all set off by olive toned skin. She smells like earth and almonds, and she’s the only person whose natural scent has any kind of smell I could actually say I’ve smelt before. It’s very disconcerting. She shoots a smile at me (with her perfect teeth) and I smile back, she knows I’m trying to learn her, because she’s trying to learn me too. I test her scent, and she smells completely at ease on the dance floor. Looks it too.



Lillian sauntered toward me, hips swaying with the music, and stopped at the bar to rattle off a list of drinks. “Three beers, one whiskey and coke, and one shot of tequila.” I collected the drinks, and watched her carry them back to a table. Three men and one woman (all in their early twenties) sat close together around one of the large wooden tables. The girl began sipping her whiskey and coke, swirling a finger along the rim of the shot glass. She edged it closer to the blonde boy. A few seconds later, Lillian was back. A broad grin on her face.



“She’s got those boys eating out of the palm of her hand, and knows it.” She says, tossing a look over her shoulder.



I giggled and smiled broadly at her. “How’s Eli?” I darted a look over to our regular table where he was sitting with Logan. They both scanned the bar once or twice, it was getting late, and Logan was itching for a fight.



“Worried. The last time they were this close… it wasn’t good.” Lillian’s voice had taken on a soft quivery tone. Involuntarily I found myself thinking back to night we hooked up with Lillian and Eli.



*****



“Logan, do we need any more bottled water?” There was like 20 different brands of water in the cooler in front of me, and I was pretty sure we’d need some so I started looking for the cases. I found one and brought it over to the register. The man rang it up, and I carried it to the car.



“I’ll be along in a minute, baby.” Logan said this from the back of the store and a quick glance told me he was loading his arms with somewhat healthy snacks. I hoped he’d remember to grab some fruit.



I felt my grip on the case of waters wavering, and why they don’t make these things with handles? As if fate still has it out for me, I’m three steps from the back of the camper and my grip slips. In slow motion, the case hit the concrete, the water bottles fly and I curse.



“Damnit!”



“I’ll help.” I groaned inwardly and tried not to growl. I’d been too preoccupied to realize that there were others out here. I tentatively tested her scent and the smell of the other one all over her. She’s a little wary, but overall confident. The traces of the other scent all over her carry no emotion, but it’s different enough from hers that I can commit it to memory.



I smiled brightly at her. “Thanks,” gathering the bottled waters gave me the opportunity to cast a quick precise glance around the parking lot. There’s a man, across the way, leaning against a street lamp. He’s nervous, I can’t smell him (not from this distance) but it’s obvious in his body language. He’s darting glances at the woman and the ground. Not once did he look at me. We’ve gathered all the water bottles, and they’re piled neatly behind my seat (Logan never lets me drive).



“I know what you are.” What the fuck? What does she mean she knows? I can’t stop the growl I feel emanate from my chest. She held her hands up in front of her and backed away. She leaned back against the truck, and slid down it a little, her eyes lowered. I’m surprised to realize that this calms me a bit. Makes me feel more in control.



“We need help, my husband and I. We’ve been running for 6 months, and there are dangerous people after us. Please, we’re like you. Please help us.”



As she’s talking I’m looking her over. She’s got blond hair and blue eyes, and she’d probably be pretty if she weren’t so under nourished. You can tell by looking at her they’ve been without steady food and proper shelter for a while. I can’t get a good look at her husband, the man I’m sure is the one standing under the street lamp, but I’m sure he’s just as bad off.



Logan chooses that exact moment to exit the store and stride purposefully toward us. He’s on high alert and the woman seems to sink lower under his stare, her head all but bowed. We share a few barely whispered words before he looks to her and then over to the man by the street lamp. I notice he’s gone from nervous to downright pissed. As I’m studying the other man, it dawns me that I’ve seen the look his face mirrored on Logan’s face before, when he’s not happy with a situation I’ve put myself in.



Logan seems to recognize the look on the man’s face as well, and he beckons him over. Within a flash, he’s standing next to the woman, and arm around her waist. If I hadn’t known better, I would have thought he was there the whole time. Logan cocked an eyebrow at him before turning to look quickly at the blond then me. He spoke directly to the other man.



“We’re leaving now, meet us at the rest stop 6 miles to the north.”



*****



I was interrupted in my musings by the bartender returning. We collected our weeks checks when a few more girls came in for work (we had previously arranged to have the second half of the night off), and we made our way to the boys back at the table. I’d grabbed a bottle of whiskey and a shot glass from behind the bar, if Logan’s going to fight we’ll need it. There’s a scrawny blond, with big fake boobs leaning over the table next to Eli, and a similarly shaped brunette practically draped over Logan. I suppressed a growl; that’s something I was doing a lot of lately.



It was not lost on me that my tiny bit of Logan’s personality was quickly developing into its own. Lillian and I stalked over to the table, eyes on our obviously uncomfortable and bored men. With great restraint, borne only from the fact that government mercenaries were on our tail, I managed only to yank her backwards and topple her onto her ass. That was me being nice.



She was drunk enough that she didn’t even realize right away she was sitting on the floor. She huffed and bitched for a few seconds before standing and stomping off. I glared after her for a few seconds, and then turned my attention to Logan.



“Does it take too much effort to ask them to leave?” I asked him. I got a mischievous grin in response. I set the bottle and shot glass on the table.



“It’s a lot more fun to watch you get jealous.” I snuggled into his lap, my fingers trailing over his chest. My lips found his and I was lost for a few moments. I was interrupted when the MC called him to the stage. We couldn’t use Wolverine anymore, especially with the possibility that the Government was after us. They called some generic name and Logan went up. I grabbed the alcohol and was vaguely aware of Lillian and Eli, heads bent close in discussion, as I walked slowly after him.



I found myself staring at him in the corner of the ring, the rambling of the MC mere background noise. He stretched and moved, and I was only a little amazed at the effect this still had on me. Logan doesn’t fight as much as he used to, before we went Underground, but he still manages one or two a year, more than that if we’re moving constantly.



The MC spoke again and a burly man, approximately 5’8” and 200 pounds, stepped into the ring. He was a little drunk, but not enough that it would be to easy. Logan towered over him by inches; his bulk was slimmer, more compact. I remembered the feel of my hands sliding along those powerful thighs, and my mood melted into something else as the fight began.



There’s power and rage, all coiled up in his tight form for just a split second before he throws the first punch. He’s never fought here before, though there have been many offers, so everyone thinks they’re in for a treat. It’s magnificent to see him fight, my insides turn white hot and I watch as his muscles ripple. He’d taken off his shirt to fight, so my view is unhindered. One corner of my brain is scared to death of the pain I know he’ll endure, despite his healing. The majority of my brain is overwhelmed by the sheer animal masculinity, delicious sexiness, and tense power radiating from him, that I’m amazed every other woman in the room is functioning.



The blows are thrown, some land some miss. Logan’s hit in the face a few times. I suspect they’re strategic drops in his defenses, because he’s managed to bleed a bit and that makes him look a bit more roughed up. A double tap to his opponents ribs, and I hear one crack. I didn’t even realize that I’d moved close to the cage, until I felt the chain link beneath my fingers. My insides are getting hotter, and I’m positive Logan can smell my arousal floating in the air.



He snuck a glance at me, and there’s that glint in his eyes, his fist lands a few more times, the motion punctuated with the sickening sound of flesh. He’s got blood smeared over his torso, almost all of it from the other guy’s nose. One more punch and his opponent is unconscious, Logan staggered into his corner and feigned weariness.



I scrambled up the steps ready to start an old game as they carry out the other contestant. I wrench open the door and let my hands flit carefully over his ‘wounds’. I’m careful not to touch, as if I’m afraid of hurting him. He rested his forehead in the curve my neck, and inhaled deeply, his hands gripping my hips. The feel of his warm skin touches mine where my tight red V-neck top separates from my short frayed denim skirt. I gasped sharply and he smiled.



One hand slipped behind my neck to hold my head steady for a deep kiss, the other reached out to snatch the whiskey bottle from my fingers. He inhaled again and shot me a smug grin as he removed the top of bottle. He took a long swig. I have to resist the urge to lick the drop that slides down his throat. I smell the desire, bloodlust, and excitement on him; it only punches my own libido into overdrive.



I pulled the bottle from his hands and grinned ruefully at him. At least, I hope it was ruefully, it might have been just plain horny. Sometimes I can’t tell. I rushed down the stairs before he had time to do more than playfully swat my ass. I run back and grab up the shot glass, pouring one and knocking it back before strolling over to the cage. The new contestant hasn’t shown up yet, so Logan’s watching me. I make an attempt to walk sexily, although Logan’s always telling me I don’t’ have to try.



I take up residence at one of the high pub tables near the cage, scooting up onto one of the stools. As I cross my legs the denim inches up. Quiet giggles escape my throat as the scent of his arousal rises, and I proceed to completely ignore him. The MC announced the next candidate and Logan drags this fight out too. Eventually it ends in roughly the same manner. Logan’s a little worse for wear, or at least he looks it. There’s a repeat performance of my run up the steps. Except this time he bit my neck, breaking the skin and licking the wound. I growled deep, but only Logan can hear it over the roar of the crowd.



He kissed me again, and doesn’t let me go when he takes a long haul from the bottle of whiskey. He hands it back to me, and I tip it back. I left the cage much slower this time, taking my time getting onto my stool. I can tell he’s straining with making this match last. I’m excited and practically vibrating with anticipation as I take a few more shots, mostly for show. I headed over to his corner and deposited the bottle on the outer top step. I walked toward the back entrance as I heard the MC call an end to the fight. The roar of the crowd rang in my ears as I slipped out the door.



I know he’s stalking me, by scent and by sound. I’m using every trick he’s taught me, and he’s isn’t playing fair. Five minutes later until I hear the tell-tale sound. I know he’s got me, and I know that right now, I feel more feral than I ever have when we’ve played this game before.



Before I know it, my back is against a tree and Logan is all around me. Looking into his face I see that his eyes are black and know mine are too. It’s a frenzy of teeth, lips, hands, and body parts. I feel him everywhere at the same time. My teeth sank into the vulnerable flesh at his neck, the blood filled my mouth and I’m lost. My orgasm crashed over me. I barely registered Logan’s matching claim as I fell over the edge.



~*~*~*~



I followed Logan back through the doors, our bite marks have healed, but we’re looking rather disheveled. Glances slid over us, knowing and envious respectively. We headed back to the table where Eli and Lillian were still seated. Vic and Hazel have rejoined the group and are watching us rather smugly. I’m still feeling a bit feral, so I try to guard my motions. It’s harder to curb some of my impulses than it ever has been before.



We sat for a few moments and made small talk, before deciding to hit the road. Logan went to the bar, collecting his winnings. The owner gives it over in cash, expressing his sorrow over loosing two good waitresses, and asking why Logan won’t fight more often. I smiled and a waved, as we donned our coats and headed out.



I climbed into the Suburban, settling into the passenger seat while Logan made a few last minute route suggestions to Eli and Vic. I made the effort not to listen as I leaned into the back seat, checking all our supplies. Satisfied everything was in order; I grabbed a fuzzy green blanket and wrapped it around myself. Snuggling back into the seat as Logan climbed up into his.



“Where we headed?” It’s gotta be pretty far away, and pretty remote. We’ll only have to stay for a few weeks, but we’ll need hunting grounds, and a place with water.



“Banff National Park, They’ve got lots of rivers and forests. That means running water and cover. Maybe we can manage to get to a secluded place on ‘Moraine Lake’.” He looked me over, golden eyes studying me. It made me a little uncomfortable. I growled.



“Baby, you ok? You’ve been pretty…” I waited for a few seconds while he struggled for the right word. When he trailed off and didn’t continue, I pulled my view from the darkened forest rumbling by, and looked at him.



“Feral?” I asked.



He gave me another sidelong glance before bringing his eyes back to the road. “Yeah, I’ve noticed it. The little Mini-Wolverine behind your eyes making another reappearance?” His voice was worried. One of the things Logan can’t get rid of is the guilt he feels that he’s left me with his feral side. I can’t get him to understand that it helps me, makes me feel safer.



“Yes, but no,” he shot me a puzzled look as I continued. “It’s not your feral side. It feels different, more attuned with me, more out of control. Like the other half of a puzzle.” I started waving my hands while I spoke. “It’s been getting steadily stronger for a while now. But recently, with the move, it’s been making leaps and bounds into development. I feel more confident, stronger, sharper, but also more unpredictable, and on the verge of some precipice.” I paused, thinking.



Logan was digesting this information, a look of concerned worry coming over his face. He looked about to say something, but I had finished my train of thought, and beat him to it.



“Logan, I only held on to the barest hint of your memories, a light imprint that I could call on in times of need. Tap strength and instincts from. I think, that each time I tapped into that, it grew stronger. I think it’s really close to developing into something entirely unique to me. It’s mine.”



He sighed, and started hard at the road in front of him. “It’s harder to control?”



It was my turn to sigh. I looked at my hands while I answered. “Yeah.”



“It’ll just get harder. I’ll talk to Vic, between the two of us, we should be able to help you though this.” His eyes intent, he reached out and caressed my face. “It’ll get worse before it gets better, darlin’. But, I promise, it will get better.” He pulled his hand away, and returned his gaze to the road. “Get some sleep baby; it’ll be ten hours before we get there, maybe more if the weather doesn’t hold out. And I’m not sure how far we’ll have to hike.”



~*~*~*~



The strong scent of fear, rage, and disgust jerked me from sleep, or maybe it was the Lillian screaming in my head and Logan screaming in my ear. His door was slamming closed, and he was out of the vehicle before I even regained control of my sleep-addled brain. Lillian was busy projecting a complete picture of the battle into everyone’s mind. I never could quite get the hang of it. Black uniformed Military Men were everywhere; a barricade was formed by a helicopter in the road in front of our truck and I’m sure there were other vehicles around. We were outnumbered one to three. I tried to get a grasp of the situation before I joined the foray.



I saw myself open the passenger side door, felt it give way under my hand. It’s really quite disconcerting. I took a few shaky steps, concentrating too hard on the image in my head I think. One of those hindsight is 20/20 things I guess.



Eli was doing his best to subdue them without killing them, but you can only hit someone so hard before you they get up again. Also, he didn’t have any weapons, and with no healing or super strength, so I’m sure he tired out quickly. He wasn’t burning anyone, either. Eli’s got two mutations, he can move at super speed, and manipulate fire. Since he can move so fast, he can create enough friction (even with just his finger tips) that he can create a spark. Our best educated guess is that because he can manipulate fire, it doesn’t hurt him. Some kind of an immunity or something.



Next I saw Hazel, she was kicking ass and taking names. I made the absent notation in my brain that they weren’t using anything but fists and clubs, a taser every now and then, so they wanted to take us alive. It scared me. Since there was fist fighting near Hazel, I knew that Vic would be close. I was right. A mere two feet away, kicking ass without taking names and keeping people away from Hazel’s blind side. Which you would think is everywhere except directly in front of her if you didn’t know better. Basically she only had to worry about the guy in front of her.



It makes sense; Hazel doesn’t have any real helpful mutation. Enhanced sense, but not as heightened as Logan, Vic, and I; she’s feral too, but (as I was quickly learning) that more of a mindset than anything tangible, and she doesn’t age, not one little bit. The down side is that she’s just immortal, she’s doesn’t have super healing to attribute her everlasting youth to. She can die.



I tear my thoughts away and look frantically for Logan, my eyes searching around me and in the picture in my head. He looks like a darker, quicker version of Vic. I’m trapped in watching him, something I would never have done if I hadn’t been paying attention to the video on a direct line to my brain, and been asleep only seconds before. A part of me reveled in watching him fight, and for a moment I felt just like I had back at the fight bar.



A swift right hook has me stumbling backward, but I’ve been dancing in high heeled boots since I was old enough to get into bars, so I managed not to fall flat on my ass. My face throbs for a second, and the cut at my lip heals instantly. Military Man’s eyes widen and he shouts something to his buddies before he’s thrown backward. Logan steadies me, give me a meaningful look, then turns back to his own fight.



I’m angry at myself, and I take the emotion and lock it away, using it to feed the fire building within me. I knew that Lillian was floating above us, using her Telekinesis to keep her in safety while she uses her mind as a multi circuit. I also knew that she was helping when she could. I’m always taken aback by Lillian powers. I know full well that she’s stronger than the Professor. So much so, that she has him fooled into thinking that she’s only a mid level telepath, and a strong telekinetic.



I swing around, landing a few good punches, before a taser bites into my flesh. The electricity slides through me, causing every muscle in my body to tense. There’s nothing I can do, but fight off the pain and try to stay conscious. The tasers the kind that shoots the little wires out, I could see the guy holding the other end five feet away, and I tried desperately to grab it at them, but my hands wouldn’t obey, and I was drowning in a sea of pain. I was aware of someone hauling me further from the trucks, I nearly lost my mind to panic. I remember thinking it could get much worse. Really I’ve got to stop doing that.



One of them touched me skin to skin, and even through the pain and white hot light behind my eyes, I managed to snatch some of his strength. He swayed, staggered and fell, careening into the man who held the little device. The electricity and pain left me immediately, but my mind was still reeling. I was aware of screaming near me, and a gloved guy (man these people catch on quick) pinned me to ground.



He came really close to my face, and I could see the man who had been holding the taser come closer to me. I wondered what everyone else was doing, before all thought vanished. I saw the metal gleam of a suppression collar at the same time I heard the taunt from the man atop me.



“The fun we’re gonna have with you once you can’t use those freak powers of yours.” He leered, eyes bright with hatred, he stuck out his tongue and ran it over my hair. He bit me hard on the shoulder, through my t-shirt where my leather coat had fallen open. Either these guys were well informed, or they learned awful fucking fast.



His hands slid down my body and he grabbed my forearms, I was still slightly groggy from the taser (who knew it would have such a devastating effect) but the feel of him hard against my body as he leaned out of the way to make room for the collar sent me roaring over the edge from sane to something else. In a split second my mind cleared of the million scenarios and decisions to be made down to one very specific set of rules. Live.



~*~*~*~



Fight. Hit, right there, kick, punch. Jump, dodge, twist. Away, I’ve got to get away. Hit, hit, hit. He won’t leave me alone. Grab, twist, crunch. There are more?



“Errahhhgh!” The sound was sick, twisted, primal. Full of rage and fear. Another one? Running at me, what’s that in his hands? I jumped, kicked, leapt into the trees. Safety, that’s what I want. Why won’t they leave me alone. Something whizzing by me, people scrambling after me. Fine!



Anger raged through me. I leapt down, landing hard atop one. I felt bones crunch beneath my body weight, I had to be sure he wouldn’t’ hurt me anymore. A knife from inside my boot (How had I known that was there?), smooth like butter across his throat. Leaping again, toward another. I landed in front of him, slashing down on his wrist before he manages to hurt me, or put the collar on me. He’s reaching toward me, leaning close, and clutching his wrist with his other hand, the metal collar landing on the ground. Grab twist, crunch. That’s the last one. I’m safe. Red is slowly retreating from my vision and I catch a scent on the air. I turn. Mine. Quick as lightening I’m on him, hands in his hair, lips on his. I’m reaching for his pants and there’s the vague awareness that the threat is gone.



He’s like me, lost in a lust not totally born of blood, and we’re moving. Into the forest, I feel better here, more comfortable, more at peace. My movements turn from raging to sensual, catlike in grace. I looked into his dark eyes. There’s dominance, power, lust seeping from every part of him. Instinctually I tilted my head to one side, submissive. He buried his face there, breathing deeply before growling low.



“Mine.” His word echoes my thoughts.



We joined and fell away into oblivion.


Chapter 3 by askita
Author's Notes:
Marie's working though her issues.

Title: Futures Unknown 3/? 
Rating: Rated R: For Language and Adult Themes and Adult Situations

Verse: AU
Summary: In a world where mutants are hunted, and the line between friend and foe are skewed, you have to know who to trust, learn how to hide, and look after your own.
Genre: Shipper-fic, Action
Word Count: 2,753  
Disclaimer: I do not own the X-men, nor all of the characters in this fic. Although I own a few. *grins*

Author’s Note: Ok… Due to the demands of certain unnamed people, here is the third installment of Futures. It’s a little angst heavy, but I’ve been told I’m a kind of angst girl.

 

 

 

 

 

Futures Unknown

 

Chapter 3

 

I woke up in the truck again. Laid out in the back with the last seat pushed down. I’m sore, oh so sore. “Logan?” the word falls from my mouth, weak and gravely. Within seconds he was standing at the back of the open hatch, near my head.

 

“Baby, god, how are you? How do you feel? What do you remember?” His eyes raked over my form, I wondered what he was talking about.

 

After a few tries, my voice was a little steadier. “I’m sore, god, Logan I hurt. I haven’t hurt like this in… years.” I pause, trying desperately to remember. Men. A taser. He was on top of me. One had a collar… I reached up to grab my neck. I’m sure the relief was visible in my body language and scent when I found my neck bare.

 

“They had a collar, one said some awful things… What happened? Did you get them?”

 

He studied me for a long moment, I started to get antsy and a growl erupted from my throat. Suddenly he was in the back with me, practically lying on top of me, but not touching. His hands on either side of me, his eyes close to mine. “Marie.”

 

His voice was questioning, his nose skimming over me testing my scent as close to the source as you can get. He demanded my attention and my compliance. I rested my hands against his chest, arched my back, and glared. I bared my neck.

 

“What?”

 

“You don’t remember anything?” He was confused now, genuinely confused. When brows are furrowed he gets these adorable little lines in his forehead. Immediately my mood lightened, grew more compliant.

 

“No Logan, I don’t remember anything. Did someone hit me on the head? Did they hit me with some kind of dart?” I wriggled my wrists a bit and he immediately complied with my unspoken request. He moved off me, sitting next to me, one finger tracing my face while he stared into my eyes. His eyes are pools of tinted gold.

 

I could see him struggling within himself; smell the indecision pouring off of him. “Marie…” He paused gathered his thoughts around him, and looked seriously at me. Gently, quietly he pulled me upright to a sitting position and put an arm around my. His golden eyes bore into mine, sadness evident there. He didn’t want to tell me whatever he had to say.

 

“Marie, baby, whatever happened during that fight. It wasn’t your fault. The feral side of my nature, the one you’ve been saying is growing into it’s own personality, showed itself today. What were they doing to you? What did they say?”  

 

I became a little frantic then, hearing that. I knew what Logan was like in a berserker rage, though it had been a while since he’d went into one. I though for a second, rubbing a hand along my neck, then over to my right shoulder. His eyes followed my hands, as I spoke. The story spilling out of me.

 

“After that, nothing. Not until I woke up here. It’s like this weird whole in my brain, and if there’s anything I’m used to, it’s having extra memories, not missing ones.” I hadn’t realized what I’d said to him until the words were out of my mouth. Of all the stupid… “Logan, I’m sorry…” I nuzzled into his neck, and he pulled back a little, removing my jacket and shirt before slipping his own coat over my shoulders.

 

 He nuzzled my shoulder blade, laving it with his tongue, grazing his teeth over it before speaking. “It’s okay darlin’, I understand.” He’d went south and now sounded a little distracted, nuzzling my cleavage like he was. “I like you better when you smell like me,” he growled from their depths. I ran my hands through his hair, kneading his scalp for a moment.

 

“I know Logan,” I sighed before tugging on his hair to get him to look up at me. The color returned to his golden eyes as he looked into mine. I felt tired, confused, and more than a little horny from his attentions, but the tired and confused won out. “What happened?”

 

~*~*~*~

 

Thinking back, I’m glad he didn’t have Lillian beam a repeat performance directly into my brain. Before we’d set out on the road, she had to alter the soldier’s memories, leaving out any detail about the six of us, and creating a plausible enough encounter for the three men I’d killed.

 

Pain lanced through me at the thought, as I lay huddled up under the blanket, seat laid out flat. I should be sleeping, but I’m afraid. I don’t want to wake up someone else.

 

~*~*~*~

 

We’ve been here for 2 hours now, each tent is setup, and everyone is watching me warily. Vic won’t let Hazel anywhere near me, and Lillian and Eli are keeping their distance. Somehow, even though I’d expected some kind of isolation, I didn’t expect it to hurt so much. It’s happened again.

 

Four more times. Four more blank spots in my memories that I’ll never get back. Logan’s the only one who’s treating me close to normal, and he’s either acting like I’m gonna break, or igniting a fire in me that I can’t seem to control. I’ve been staring out at the beautiful view of Moraine Lake, across the water at the mountains for the last half hour. They said I jumped out of the moving truck, and tore off into the forest twice. Logan says that once I tried to jump him while he was driving, and he had to pull over to get me to stop. I had the decency to blush when he told me, even though he said all I’d acted and smelled was confused.

 

The last time I woke up screaming, clawing at the window. I remember parts of that one. The dream, and the waking up, then another blank spot. I could tell this was driving Logan insane, the inability not to know me like he always has. He’s wary, but not in the same sense as the others. He’s afraid I’m going to slip back into a berserker rage, (although he refuses to call them that, he says it’s the feral side fighting for dominance and that I need to make sure I stay dominant) and run off. Really that’s why Vic stayed behind while Logan’s out hunting. Instead he’s treating my like a traitor, I’m not even sure he’d chase me if I did take off.

 

So I’m down here, at the edge of the beach, as far from everyone as I can get while still being in sight. I’ve tried to talk to Lillian once, but she won’t let me get close enough before she asks me what I need inside my head. I slammed her own damn gates shut on her, and walked away. She knows what she did wrong. Bitch.

 

Eli won’t stop moving long enough for me to talk to him, he’s been collecting firewood. I’m not sure if his avoidance of me is intentional, but it’s working nonetheless.

 

Hazel keeps coming to talk to me, but Vic grabs her by the arms and they get into an argument so hushed that even my enhanced hearing can’t pick it up. It’s happened three times already, and she’s stopped trying.

 

There’s a part of me that revels in their fear but I stamp it down. These are my friends, the closest thing to family I’ve got. I don’t’ want them to be afraid of me; I want them to love me. The sound of Logan tromping through the trees carrying a carcass has my ears perking up, and I’m moving. I don’t care what Vic and the others think, I’ll be damned if I’m not going to pull my weight just because they’re being a bunch of pussies. I near the group and Vic sends me a look, Logan and I growl at the same time, but mines got a little more meaning to it, a little more menace, whereas Logan’s was a warning.

 

Hazel smiles at me, and Logan notices the interchange, as well as Lillian and Eli keeping their distance. He becomes tense and rigid, pissed again. I’m tempted to run off into the woods, of my own will and volition, but I know that’s childish and the only way to deal with this is to meet it face on.

 

“What the fuck is going on?” Logan beat me to it, so I stand back, tense and on alert. Determined to be around for this confrontation, I don’t want another blank spot.

 

Lillian was the first with the balls to say something. You gotta give her credit for that. She sent out these calming vibes, and Logan let out a growl. She knows better than to start fucking with the way people feel about things. “It’s not that we’re trying to cause any harm, it’s just that we’re afraid. What if she,” she alters her approach, appealing to me as well. “What if you- what if it happens again, and this time you attack one of us. We’re not like you, we don’t heal.”

 

My spine stiffens, and I feel actual physical pain at the realization that Lillian and Eli think I’d hurt them. Doesn’t she understand that I now everything about them? How they smell, sound, walk, talk. They could be whispering and I’d know it was them. I can tell how Eli sounds in super speed and know it’s him in enough time not to attack. Lillian could convince my brain she was someone else and my body would never believe her.

 

Vic must have seen the pain in my face because he spoke before I had the chance to. “That’s not how it works. You’ve been living with Marie for, what two and a half, three years now? If she sees you like family, then so does her feral side. You’d be members of the pack.” I grew just a little bit awed as his voice took on an annoyed tone. “Hell, while in a feral mindset she’d be more likely to do everything she could to protect you because she knows you’re weaker, than she would harm you. She hasn’t once attacked any of us. You saw what she did to Logan after the battle,” (I felt myself blush furiously from my forehead down to my toes,) “she definitely knows she’s his.”

 

Logan (the bastard) grunted his agreement and pinched my butt. Lillian wasn’t quite convinced, her insecurity permeated everyone’s thought process.

 

“You won’t let Hazel anywhere near her, so what does that mean?” It was actually Eli who’d made the comment; everyone was looking at him. Except for Vic, who was burning holes in the dirt with his eyes and Hazel, who was burning holes into Vic.

 

“That’s because he’s an insecure idiotic man who won’t even believe the truth when it comes out of his own mouth. He’s also too stubborn and bullheaded to admit that Marie’s position makes him feel as vulnerable and confused now as it did when he went though it.” Vic’s chocolate brown eyes snapped up to where Hazels darker ones were boring into his head, he met them only for a second before looking out over the water.

 

No one said anything. I was flabbergasted, confused, and downright annoyed at pretty much everyone around me at that exact moment. Also, a little overjoyed. I could sense the waves of fear and apprehension settling down around me.

 

After a few moments of the painful silence, Logan spoke. “Look. Eli, Lillian if you’re not comfortable here, you can get the fuck out. I’m not gonna have you acting this way. Just remember, if it weren’t for Marie, you’d still be out on that damn road all buy your fuckin’ lonesome running from the slave camps.” His eyes swerved toward Vic and Hazel. “You can go if you want too, but Marie needs your help. We need your help. There might be some experience, some story, some skill that I don’t know. Something that could really help.” He leveled his stare at each one of them and received a silent nod of understanding before complaining about the heavy carcass he’d just hunted down rotting at their feet.

 

We sectioned off and cooked each portion of meat separately, roasting and eating and saving. It was sectioned off and stored in each vehicle, locked and air sealed against animals. The remnants were buried a few hundred feet from the camp, to discourage scavengers and avoid discovery. Hunting was illegal in Banff National Park.

 

The night came quickly and I was exhausted. Apparently though, I wouldn’t get much sleep.

 

~*~*~*~

 

There are lots of smells, all of them comfortable. Woods, water, sand, Mate. Mine. I nuzzle in closer to his warmth, an ear right next to my face. I lick it. A mumble reached my ears, its unintelligible, hands searching. I bite it.

 

“Oh, baby,” ragged words ripped from a sleepy man. I trail my fingers up along his front, they tangle in hair. I hear a groan. That’s better. My mouth on his, biting sucking, lower lip. Another groan and hands on my hips. Tight grip. I growl, low. Grind.

 

“M’rie,” he mumbles. One hand reached up gripping the back of my head, pulling me down to kiss me hard. I growled low again as I reached below his belt, glad to find only skin waiting for me. He hissed and rolled me over, covering me completely, plundering my mouth.

 

“Marie, baby.” It doesn’t take him long to divest me of my clothes, I’m practically screaming when he does. Low keening wails, deep throaty growls and moans. I’m not amazed he know just how, perfect angles, drags it out just long enough. My breath is coming heavy, my fingers scrambling for purchase.

 

I push up on his shoulders and he rolls backwards, my knees still locked around his hips. We’re moving fast and hard, noise be damned. Why would he want to keep quiet anyway? My lips are tracing trails all over his chest when he sits up, pulling my mouth back to his. He groans and growls into my mouth, my body reacting with the proper response. I can feel the peak building, and when I tip over the edge, the howl that erupts from my throat is feral.

 

~*~*~*~

 

“Ugh,” I groan into the sweat covered chest beneath me. Logan’s breathing is ragged and I’m very aware of a shortness of breath that’s all my own. “Logan?” The scent in the air is very familiar and I blush just a little. He’s opened a quarter of each outside door of the tent to get a breeze going.

 

The rumble of a familiar chuckle vibrates my chest, and I find myself purring in contentment in return. Gingerly I test my body parts, every telltale sign of sex present. “Jesus, again? I can’t even get laid when I’m here to appreciate it.” I’ve sat up at some point and here I flopped backward on my pillow, the many blankets under us, although comfortable, will need washing again.

 

“Still don’t remember anything yet, huh?” He’s leaned over me, and he’s staring down at me. I met his eyes, the golden flashing in mischief, and think hard losing myself in their pools. Flashes, skin, touches, growls, and grunts.

 

“Mine.” I reply. He leaned in a little closer, staring me in my eyes. The ragged primal feeling takes hold once more, but instead of taking over completely, it nudges itself neatly into the corner. I’m well aware that it’s there, but it’s not intrusive, just whispering in my head a little, like the less annoying of the personalities I’ve ever taken in.

 

I wrapped one arm around his neck, sank my fingers through his hair and brought his face very close to mine. “You’re my mate. And you’re mine.” I kissed him, to let him know to sink that in. He growled back at me and kissed me harder. The sound vibrated up my chest into my mouth and back down again as it died out. One hands gripped me hip and the other went traveling to the holy lands. He ripped his mouth from mine, and pulled backwards a little bit.

 

“Forever mine,” he said, and proceeded to show me just how much I was his. I was begging and promising by the time he finished with his hands and his mouth. 

 

Chapter 4 by askita
Author's Notes:
Maries getting a handle on everything… Kinda.

Title: Futures Unknown 4/? 
Rating: R

Verse: AU
Summary: Maries getting a handle on everything… Kinda.
Genre: Shipper-fic, Action
Disclaimer: I’m thinking about putting in a bid at Marvel, but I think they’d want too much money. So right now I’m just borrowing them for my own personal fantasies.

Authors Note: Here it is, Chapter 4! Tell me what you think! Thanks [info]meg1990!

 

Chapters: 1 2 3
 

 

 

Chapter 4

 

Judging by the sideways glances and knowing looks from the others I got this morning, Logan and I weren’t at all quiet last night. I spent most of the morning blushing and stammering responses before I found something to occupy me. I’d gone online on my laptop to randomly transfer our funds every two weeks (right now we were living off of a stash of cash we all kept handy; I wasn’t sure about Vic and Hazel) and I’d washed and hung our blankets to dry. I was cutting and chopping firewood from a small fallen oak when Logan and I found ourselves alone once again.

 

“Hey.” I greeted as soon as his scent reached my nose. I’d been on high alert, it wasn’t peak time for hikers, but we were all on guard for the soldiers to return.

 

“Hey yourself.” He waited until I set down the axe to wrap his arms around me. “I wanted to talk about last night.” I blushed and turned in his arms, burying my face into his chest. I inhaled his scent deeply.

 

“What part?” I shot a sexy little glance up at him, my hands moving over the muscles of his back.

 

He smirked at me, and I felt a little tickle dance up my spine. I pressed forward into him. “The part where you almost went feral and didn’t.”

 

“Oh,” I reigned my thoughts back in from where they’d been wandering about kissing and groping. Logan leaned down and bit my earlobe, obviously amused at my disappointment.

 

“What happened?”

 

I looked up at him thoughtfully for a moment, wrestling with the memories in my head. “I was awake with you, and we were…” I blushed again, jeeze when did I have such a problem discussing sex with my husband? When you started doing it with a second personality, I answered my thoughts. “You were leaning really close, and I had flashes of memories. And I felt this need, this urge, and I wanted you all over again. I knew that you were mine, and I wanted you to know that.” I paused, trying to word everything right. It’s kinda hard to explain extra personalities. But this was Logan and he was the Wolverine, so maybe it wouldn’t’ be so hard.

 

“When I felt it there, I kind of acknowledged it. That it was a part of me, that I was a part of it and instead of taking over my actions and thoughts, I kinda settled it into the corner. It’s there and it’s talking every now and then, but it’s not incessant. Not yet anyway. That’s pretty much it.”

 

Logan looked thoughtfully over my head, one hand coming up to stroke my hair. We stayed like that for a long time, I tested his scent numerous time, and all I got was woods, leather, Logan and thoughtful. After a good 15 minutes of silence from him, I poked him in the ribs. “What?” He asked, looking down at me.

 

“What are you thinking?”

 

He brushed the pad of his thumb over my cheekbone as he spoke. “You’re getting control of ‘em, the rages. And that’s good. But having control of yourself when I make love to you isn’t quite the same as having control of yourself when you’re angry, scared, or surprised. We need to push your control to the limits. So that when you’re in danger, you can keep your head and use your instincts.”

 

I nodded, seeing the truth to his words. “How we gonna do that?”

 

“We’re gonna test your limits.” He leaned down and kissed me with so much force, so much passion that I was breathless and reeling from the abrupt change of situation when he suddenly released me. I staggered back just a bit, my knees nearly putty. I could feel my feral self prowling around in my head, very Wolverine-like. I wanted him to come back, I was miffed his hands weren’t still roving over me. I growled. It’s rather startling when you’re not expecting it.

 

He laughed out loud at me, and backed up a step. “This isn’t the kid of testing you were talking about was it?”

 

“Not quite, but it’s nice to see you all hot and bothered.” I’d decided I’d had enough of Logan amusing himself and launched myself at him. I hit him hard, knocking him onto his back. I straddled his waist and kissed him like I wanted to be kissed. My hands sank into his hair and my tongue invaded his mouth. His hands grabbed my hips, if a familiar hold and anchored me to him. He tore his mouth away. “Marie?”

 

“Hmm?” I’ve been kissing and licking his neck, and it’s my goal to expose more flesh for the tasting.

 

“I think,” he sucked in a breath as I found that sensitive place where the neck meets the shoulder. “I think if we keep-” he gasped as I bit his earlobe, “this up, we’ll never get-” I kissed him hard on the mouth again. That kept him quiet for a few minutes as I ravaged his mouth. Hips grinding, hands roaming. Personally, I’m surprised the Wolverine let me have this much dominance before Logan flipped us over and pressed me into the ground.

 

He pushed up on his hands leaning over me. “get to work.” He finishes.

 

I smirk at him, and squirm awkwardly out from under him. “I know,” I replied. “It’s just that you can’t kiss me like that, then just stop. It’s cruel. I wanted more kissing and hand roaming so I took it.” He crawled over to me, moving so close that I had to resituate my arms behind me to hold my angle. He buried his face in my neck and breathed deeply.

 

Eli came to a skidding halt at in the middle of the clearing. It was an audile crash of cracking sticks, thundering heart, and sputtering man accompanied by him literally skidding into the dirt and landing on his butt. I laughed out loud at him and Logan pulled back and growled, him having been in a bit more feral mindset than me.

 

Eli blushed furiously and stammered out an apology. “S- sorry. I keep telling Lillian it’s inevitable that I bump into you guys. She tells me it’s all in my head, and that I need to watch where I’m going. But with you guys doin’ it everywhere and anywhere in the last few days, I figure I’m bound to run into you, and I can’t stop on a dime all the time to peek into each clearing before I go through it.” Quicker than anyone else I know, Eli’s gone and the only evidence of his existence is his lingering scent and the foot long skid track in the dirt.

 

Logan shook his head and stood, offering me a hand up as well. “He’s right you know.” I told him as we both grabbed an armful of the wood I’d been cutting and headed back out to the main living area.

 

“’Bout what?” Logan asked, carefully picking his way down the hill.

 

“We have been doing it a lot. Everywhere and anywhere. I’ve noticed a distinct rise in my libido, it’s barely controllable.”

 

“I’m just that sexy, baby.” He smirked at me.

 

“As much as I agree with that, I don’t think it’s the reason we find ourselves having sex in the middle of any and every situation we find ourselves in.” We’d entered the clearing and were placing the wood on a neat pile. Hazel and Vic sat around the fire, enjoying it’s warmth.

 

“It’s the urge to claim.” She piped up from no where, her soothing voice immediately settling my mood a bit more relaxed. I wondered absentmindedly if that was a mutation she didn’t know about. A calming presence. I decided against it when I remembered the humans swinging punches at her.

 

 “Huh?” I asked feeling like an idiot for not having heard the comments my statement had initiated. I jerked my attention back to Hazel (who laughed), Vic (who looked confused), and Logan (who was currently staring at me like I was only a small French fry short of a happy meal, or I had horns growing out of my head.)

 

I reached up and checked just incase, my forehead was clear of horns. “What do you think about when you do that?” Vic was still confused and had finally decided to ask. I’m beginning to realize that I space out a lot.

 

“Well, at first I was listening to Hazel,” I turned to her then. “Your voice is so calming, it’s like I relax just listening to you speak. But you make everything around you nice.” I turned back to Vic then. “After that I was checking for horns.”

 

Now everyone was looking at me like I was a fucked up happy meal. I resisted the urge to check for horns again. “Never mind, it doesn’t matter. What were you saying earlier, about the ‘urge to claim’?”

 

Hazel smiled again, and proceeded with the conversation. This time I had my listening hat on. “Now that you’re working on a more feral mindset, you instincts to claim your mate are making your libido spike. It’s like, there’s a part of you that want to let anyone and everyone know that he’s your mate. And although it never goes away, the urgency will cool down once you’re secure in yourself again. It’s my recommendation that we refrain from going near anyone who would hit on Logan until you’ve become in complete control of your… mood swings.”

 

“Speaking of mood swings,” Logan said. “Vic, we need you help. Marie seems to have gained some control, and I want to try to push her to her limit. See how much she can handle and what her breaking points are, so we can work on them.”

 

“You want me to try first?”

 

“No,” Logan said. He hesitated then. “I tried earlier, it uh… got out of hand.”

 

Vic looked me over, “She doesn’t look too worse for wear.” Hazel abruptly started laughing and I started blushing. Vic’s smirked at Logan. “Ah, I see. Well, let’s see what we can do.”

 

~*~*~*~

 

We moved to a larger clearing and I squared off in front of Victor. Hazel stayed clear, perched up on a rock approximately 30 feet away. Logan stayed close, I could feel his anxiousness coming off of him, and knew that Vic wasn’t someone he wanted me prepared to fight ever. Even for sparing.

 

“Tell me,” I began as we circled each other. “Why the sudden change of heart.” Victor became uncomfortable, he reeked of it, and suddenly I was a lot more amused that I was supposed to be in the situation.

 

“With Lillian?” I shot him a pointed look. Feigning ignorance is not attractive on you Victor.

 

“Yeah.” No, with the mouse in her pocket. Wow, had I’d become a t-total bitch. Hmmm. Food for thought.

 

He shrugged, which looked really weird with him in the squatted walking position he was in. Which, come to think of it, must be an annoying position for him; it was fairly easy for me given my much smaller stature and bulk. But I’ve mentioned before that Vic is huge, and I can’t imagine that being comfortable at all.

 

“She annoyed me.” I’d forgotten I’d asked him a question. I’d struggled to divide my concentration on predicting his every increasing movements and paying attention to his response. “She acted like you weren’t family, that everyone who has a feral side goes crazy and attacks when they’re in a feral mindset.” His voice had grown gruff and angry.

 

I jumped out of the way of a swipe of his claws, not realizing that he was close enough to use them. Despite my efforts they grazed my midsection. I growled. An errant thought about more of my clothes needing stitched up ran across my mind.

 

“So, she offended you by insulting me?” He dodged a well aimed, but slightly clumsy kick at his head. I’ve trained extensively with Logan, but something was throwing me off. Something with my balance, it was very odd.

 

“Yeah, it was an insult to us as a whole. She should know better, your feral side would see her as family. It annoyed me.” He punched this time, and I didn’t dodge that. He’d been making quick jabs and short swings and I’d been paying to much attention to the darting kicks instead of the big picture. I felt the battle with my feral nature begin again in my mind. It wasn’t comfortable to sit and be told what to do anymore. It demanded free reign.

 

I grunted and regained my footing, still reeling from the fist to the head. If Logan had been growling before, he was snarling now. I sent him a look that told him I was fine before focusing directly on Vic and every part available to him with my eyes, nose and ears.

 

I landed two good punches and one well placed kick to the knee before he laid a finger on me again. He was getting angry and a little out of control in his movements, and although I knew that Vic would never give in to his other nature, my battle was getting harder and harder to maintain. He landed another good punch to my upper body, and swiped at me with his claws. This time he made full contact.

 

The change to my feral mindset was at least noticeable this time. I went from being in complete control of my body to the feeling of watching a movie play behind my eyeballs. It was odd, completely different, yet much the same as when Lillian projects current and past events into my brain.

 

I jumped backward, much lower to the ground than before. Using my hands and my feet to support my weight in my low stance. A deep throaty growl rumbled up from my chest. I wanted to hurt him so bad. My midsection ached and burned as it healed. He had done this. He would pay. I stayed like that for a few minutes, aware of the other alpha male’s mate across the clearing, watching me keenly. No threat, she was letting her mate do as he ought. Not my concern.

 

I was also intensely aware of my mate standing much nearer. I wondered why he had let this happen in the first place (although part of my mind knew it was for my own good) but I was immensely satisfied he was letting me take care of it on my own. I wanted to show them I could take care of myself. I could handle my own and I didn’t need to defer to my mate for everything. I was strong. I was fast.

 

I showed them just how much. I pulled my form in tighter, a small balled up ready to pounce package and no one knew what I was about to do. Pushing with every muscle I could manage to control (some I didn’t know I could) I launched into the air and directly at Victors chest. Sharp thin claws shot out of my fingers, digging into his chest and twisting when I made contact. I snarled low into his face before he used his arms to launch me backward into the tree line.

 

My mate moved forward toward him, and growled. “Okay, enough.” His own claws had launched out of his arms and he stood, rage and something else pouring off him. Awe? I’d caught myself on a sturdy branch and twisted my body back around to perch on another larger branch on the opposite side of the tree. I watched, slightly annoyed as his wounds healed and closed, but felt no real lasting annoyance at that fact, because my own wounds were gone.

 

My mate and the other moved closer, talking but I ignored them. Two things had my attention. The other’s mate, she still sat on her rock, still eyed me intently. She studied me and I glared at her for a moment before dismissing her altogether and turning my attention to the other issue.

 

My hands. I had long, thin, sharp claws sticking out of each of my fingers and they hurt. I sat like that for a few moments, trying to figure out how to make them stop hurting. They were strong and they didn’t hurt when I dug them into the bark next to me. They didn’t bend or break. I wondered when they came from and no answer appeared from the abyss of knowledge in my brain. It was like the answer was there, but inaccessible.

 

I growled, out of aggravation, and suddenly felt everyone’s eyes on me. I flexed my fingers again, avoiding poking myself with the sharp tips. I stretched out my hands and concentrated. When the claws slid slowly back in I flinched and hissed. Then I looked down at the other male. My vision narrowed. I launched myself at him catching him in the shoulders and throwing him backwards; at the same time I reversed my momentum and kicked off his midsection with my feet, landing in a quiet little crouch behind my mate. I growled again.

 

The other one stood there looking at me for a minute before walking toward his mate. Hazel shook her head and smiled at him, then they walked away. My mate turned around, growling low. I wasn’t sure when his claws had slid back in, but they were gone when he reached down toward me. I uncurled from my crouched position, looking at him, my neck exposed in submission.

 

“Marie,” Logan told me. “Come back to me.” Again, that’s really really weird. If going into a feral mindset is like watching a movie playing through my eyes and where I only know half of the information, then coming out is kinda like a vortex where I’m drowning and suddenly, I know everything. I swayed a little on my feet.

 

“That was weird.” I told him.

 

He chuckled and brought his face in close to my neck. He nibbled and smelled a little bit before asking, “You wanna talk about those claws?”

End Notes:
Well, tell me, was it worth the wait?
Chapter 5 by askita
Author's Notes:
Last line of Last Chapter: He chuckled and brought his face in close to my neck. He nibbled and smelled a little bit before asking, “You wanna talk about those claws?”

Title: Futures Unknown 5/?
Rating: R, for a bit of graphic Gore

Verse: AU
Summary: Marie learns more about herself and has to get out of a elevated situation.
Genre: Shipper-fic, Action, Foof
Disclaimer: I’m thinking about putting in a bid at Marvel, but I think they’d want too much money. So right now I’m just borrowing them for my own personal fantasies.

Authors Note: Here’s Chapter 5, it’s got a bit of gore in it, but you’ll be fine I promise. And don’t worry, it’s not a chapter killer, more of a learning experience. Sucker is taking off at an alarming rate. I’m glad for everyone who’s religiously reviewed, It’s very inspiring. Thanks so much for reading. Tell me what you think!


 

 

 

(reminder) Logan just asked her about her new claws.

 

Chapter 5

 

I dropped my head into his chest, my eyes slid closed. “They hurt.”

 

The scent of sadness and self recrimination hit my nose abruptly, and I turned up to look at him. The same emotions burned in his golden eyes. His grip on me tightened and he pulled me closer in a tight hug. “I’m sorry,” he replied, his voice thick and gruff.

 

“Not your fault,” I replied into his warmth. Time to change the subject. “How do you release ‘em?” I ask, pulling back and gesturing to my hands with my head. I’d moved them down to his shoulders, and they captured my attention again. Logan’s grip loosened on me and he looked at my hands with me.

 

“Where do you feel ‘em?”

 

I gave him a curious little gaze and then started taking stock in my body. “My hands are heavy,” I say starting with my arms, “and my wrists feel different.” I rotate them experimentally. “Like they’ve got more range of motion, and they’re a lot more…” I struggle for a word. Stability? No. Reliability? No. I’m not a car. That strikes a thought.

 

“It’s like they got new shocks, better ways to handle terrain and absorb different types of movements. Does that make sense?” As I’d been speaking, Logan had taken one of my hands into his and he was examining it, with light little touches and keen eyes. He gets close to the end of my fingertips and I yank my hand back.

 

“Watch out!” I snapped, anger and fear radiating off of me. “I can’t control it Logan, you could get hurt.” He raised an eyebrow at me and smirked.

 

“Don’t worry about it baby, healin’ remember?”

 

I shook my head at him. “Doesn’t mean that you need to be careless and take pain just because. They’re really strong. When I wasn’t quite so me, I dug them into the bark of that tree,” I said, indicating said tree, “and tore it up. They didn’t bend or break. I don’t think they’re made of the same bone as the rest of my body.”

 

His eyes darted up, and I could tell when he saw the carnage I remember making. The bark is torn to shreds, the white underneath clear as day with deep grooves and lines in it. “Just be careful,” I mumbled, “I really don’t wanna hurt you.”

 

With no outward agreement to be careful he turned back to my hand but angled my fingers away from him. They dangled downward while his fingers pressed into my wrist. My left hand was left dangling at my side, forgotten in his inspection. Suddenly, his fingers found a sensitive spot, the underside of my wrist, directly in the middle. I felt the tiniest muscle in deep in the middle spasm and knew just before the pain hit my hands what was happening.

 

“Ahh,” I screamed and nearly toppled to the ground when my knees gave way. Instinctively my the claws shot out of my dangling left hand, and I knew without looking that my right hand was a grotesque mirror of the left.

 

Logan, who I’d momentarily forgotten, uttered an expletive when he caught me and gingerly lowered me to the floor. The cold ground under my butt did little to make me forget the searing healing agony of my left hand and the raw wounds that were forced open by my misfiring claws on the right. I didn’t want to look, but it’s like when a train wrecks, you have no choice and you can’t not look.

 

In my left hand my claws were extended out of my finger tips like they had earlier, kind of like really long fingernails but underneath them. It was creepy too look at and kinda freaked me out a bit, but they were natural. The wounds weren’t open or raw. The skin closed around them, like they were naturally there. I wondered if I could remove my fingernails to make them look less freakish. Again with the spacing out. On closer inspection, it looked like they were just to the left of the bones in my fingers.

 

My gaze moved over to my right hand, the one in searing pain with the wounds that won’t close. Logan was holding my hand gingerly, and he’d grasped my fingers, holding them together and making sure I keep them pointed down. I barely registered his presence as I looked at my right hand. The claws were jutting out of my knuckles, which were bleeding freely. The wounds were jagged and very painful. It hurt so bad, I didn’t even notice my wet cheeks until Logan wiped at one of the tracks with the pad of his thumb. It was around that time that I realized someone was sobbing and that the someone was me.

 

It had been so long since I was in real pain. The pain of an open wound is completely different from the burning itch of healing. A flash of the last time I felt real wounding pain shot through my brain. Shortly before I’d learned the control I had now I’d fallen. A sharp rock at the cabin caught me in the arm and cut a 4 inch long, one inch deep gash in the sensitive flesh of my inner forearm. I only knew ‘drain’ and ‘don’t drain’, and I couldn’t have moved him if I’d let him use his powers to heal me so I’d kept my powers off until we’d trekked the 2 miles back to the cabin. Ok, Logan trekked, I suffered the pain in silence while he carried me. I’d let him touch me at full force when we made it back to the bed.

 

I’d lost so much blood, we’d both slept for a day.

 

“Baby.” Logan’s voice pulled me back to myself. “Baby pull ‘em back.”

 

My eyes met his, my vision blurry. “It hurts,” I managed to choke out. The pain in his eyes was a tangible thing when he leaned down and kissed me gingerly on the forehead.

 

“I know baby, but you gotta pull ‘em back.” I couldn’t really concentrate on my surroundings, but I did manage to spare some thoughts for the thrashing in the woods behind me. The sun was beginning to set, but even in pain my senses never fail me. Scents and visual hit me at about the same time as Eli came to a halt next to me, depositing an obviously worried Lillian on her feet. I must have been projecting pretty loudly. Eli’s dark brown eyes were worried, and Lillian bright blue ones were scared.

 

Had I been a little more coherent, I’d have noticed the silent communication as Logan sent Lillian a thought, I did notice that although she was terrified, it wasn’t of me it was for me. It didn’t take long for her to calm me down and help me separate my mind from the pain. I don’t know how long we sat like that for, but we got my claws back in with an audible sickening sound and my wounds healed themselves. Exhausted, I smiled weakly at her while Logan lifted me into his arms.

 

~*~*~*~

 

Lillian and I were sitting in my tent, I’d changed into a tank and shorts and sat with a blanket around me. Lillian was on her knees behind me braiding my hair.

 

“I’m sorry.” She said out of the blue. We’d been sitting in silence and I was enjoying just being around her. Lillian was my closest girlfriend, and I’d missed her. I didn’t say anything, because she smelled really nervous and I wanted her to take her time.

 

She finished the braid and laid it gently over my shoulder. She remained lost in thought for a moment before moving to sit in front of me. “Marie, when you went feral that first time, the emotions coming off of you were overwhelming. Usually you’re not a broadcaster at all, as a matter of fact, usually I have to concentrate just to read you unless I open the mind link, but you were screaming with your fear and rage and I was overwhelmed. But you came back to yourself, and everything was better. But every time you’d change I’d get these flashes of fear and anger, or…” she blushed then. “Or Lust.” That made me blush.

 

“Lil,” She cut me off.

 

“Let me finish. Victor was so scared, I knew his fear was irrational, but he’s such a broadcaster, even on a normal day. His fear penetrated me and made me doubt myself. Now, I’m not blaming it all on him, because I was uneasy all on my own, he just kinda fed it. Usually I have more control over how I let other people’s emotions effect my own, but Eli was confused and even though I knew, I knew, that you wouldn’t’ hurt us, I was afraid. And I’m sorry. I know you better than that. And I’m ashamed of how I acted, will you ever forgive me?” She was trembling and sincere and I really really missed talking to her and I hated to smell the remorse and fear on her.

 

“I forgive you,” I said as I wrapped her in a tight hug. “Let’s forget all about it, and move on, because I have a feeling I’m really going to need your help with things that are coming.” We settled into more mundane topics as I checked our bank accounts and the regular places for searches on mutants. There was a mention of ‘Weapon X and company’ on one of Canada’s unofficial military post boards, and Lillian, Eli and I were still on the US boards. The Canadian’s were looking for information and the US boards were all but inactive, we pretty much already knew that. Our whereabouts were still unknown. I sighed in relief.

 

An hour later Logan poked his head in, signaling to Lillian that Eli was waiting for her. We said our goodbyes and she headed out. While Logan and I stripped down to our skin I told him about the military postings. He grunted his understanding as he slid under the blankets then he reached for me, dragging me on top of him and took my lips in a hard kiss.

 

“Are you ok?” He asked as he was settling me in next to him, wrapping his arms around me. I nodded into his shoulder. “Any idea why you got claws now?” he was mumbling, the day had been taxing to us both and we were drifting into sleep.

 

“Nope,” I replied, shifting to lean over him. “But I don’t want to think about it right now, I’ve got other things on my mind.” I wasn’t about to let a little thing like fatigue end my night early.

 

~*~*~*~

 

I started awake to the quiet sounds of the night, the nightmare still rattling around in my head and the foreboding feeling much stronger. I looked down at my mate, he slept peacefully so I knew there wasn’t anything to blame but my own paranoia. Slowly, quickly and quietly I slipped out of the tent. The moon was bright in the sky, it hung large and low like a spotlight. The night air was cold on my flesh, and I felt exposed.

 

I looked to the tree line, knowing that safety lie there. I sunk into a low crouch, quickly traversing the outer line of our sleeping and common area, searching for new and unknown scents. I found none, but quickly climbed up into a tree when I smelt the strong current scent of the other alpha male from before. I stopped the growl that rumbled up into my chest, I didn’t want to make a noise and alert anyone to my position.

 

I moved back and forth above them, traversing silently from branch to branch primed and waiting. It was a long time before I felt secure in myself again. He couldn’t get me here, he was too large, not nearly as skilled a climber as I. He might be stronger, more powerful, bigger, but I was faster and the branches would collapse under his bulk.

 

I moved on, to the others. The weaker members of the pack. I checked and rechecked their area, finding no fault on the ground I moved into the trees spending time there alert and watchful. Again, time passed, I did a quick check at my own area, assuring myself that my mate was safe and sound, before checking the tree line again and moving off to sniff angrily around the other alpha male’s tent.

 

I moved off into the forest, determined to make a run or two around the edge of our haven. The area was large, I found many traces of my mate, and the other alpha male. His mate hadn’t come out this far but the weaker male, Eli, had been out this far, out the farthest. Suddenly I remembered that Eli wasn’t weaker, just a different kind of strong. His scent was everywhere. All along the perimeter, I was quickly learning to demand knowledge from the void in my mind. Eli ran fast, he came out here many times a day, checking for intruders.

 

I stayed along the tops of the trees, safe from larger more dangerous predators. I growled, thinking of the other alpha male. The hostility I felt for him held a hint of old rage. Something from the past that I couldn’t quite remember. I shook off the feeling and walked the edge of everyone’s scents, memorizing the exact line.

 

I was getting tired, my body was slowly shutting down, and I wanted to find a comfortable place before I was too tired to move anymore. I couldn’t chance the ground there were to many larger predators there, so I found a comfortable place in one of the higher trees in the middle of the forest. Finally, I gave in to sleep.

 

~*~*~*~

 

I was freezing. I hadn’t woken up freezing since I was on the road, and that was so many years ago it hadn’t even popped into my mind until I’d thought for a few seconds. There was no warm body, there was sun in my eyes, there were no warm blankets, there was bark pressing into my back. I rolled over, thinking that maybe Logan had opened the flap, or that I was just laying on a stray piece of forest.

 

The next thing I knew, I was free falling. Well, kinda. I was almost free falling. My claws shot out and hooked my into the thick trunk of the tree, stopping my free fall before it really began. I scrambled back onto the perch I’d had, question after question scrambling though my brain.

 

What was I doing up here? How did I get up here? How did I sleep on that branch? Where the hell were my clothes? I scrambled to the large truck, plastering my body as tightly to the bark as I could. I retracted my claws, It wasn’t happening excruciatingly slow anymore. Each time I managed to get them in a little faster than the last.

 

‘Marie.’

 

‘Lillian!’ Oh thank god.

 

‘Where are you?’

 

I wanted to roll my eyes; I think she picks that stuff up through the link, so I did it. ‘In a tree.’

I heard her snicker. ‘I got the eye roll. You know where?’

 

I thought hard for a second, and flashes of my night went through my mind. ‘Halfway between camp and the southeastern edge of the perimeter.’

 

‘Looks like you had quite a journey last night. Everyone is worried about you Logan and Victor are sniffing you out, and Hazel has a blanket for you. It looked like you just up and left. You are naked right?’

 

‘Yeah, as the day I was born.’ I flushed with embarrassment.

 

‘Logan says you stayed in the encampment for a while, you lingered over everyone but him.’

 

I thought long and hard for a moment, more flashes coming back. Lillian, ever courteous, waited until I would elaborate. ‘Yeah, I wanted to make sure everyone was fine, and I was still mad a Vic. I had faith in Logan, I knew he was fine. After that then I wanted to check the outer tree line. Hey, you’re not doing the party line thing are you?’

 

Lillian had the ability (along with closed circuit brain videos) to do a sort of party line conversation with everyone in the pack. I’m telling you, I think she’s stronger than Xavier. She doesn’t even need his big metal room to find people. She has to have run into them before, but she can find them all over the continent if she has. We haven’t really tested the limits of her powers, she’s got lots of things she knows she can do, but I’m sure there’s lots that we don’t know about.

 

‘You’re right on that missy.’ She replies to my thoughts. ‘And no, I’m not doing the Party Line, it’s just you and me.’

 

‘Ok. Look, I can hear them now, I’ll see you soon. Thanks.’

 

‘No problem honey.’

 

I heard Logan, Vic, Hazel and Eli calling out to me. “Here!” I called back. The sounds of thrashing in the underbrush brought them closer to me. I laid out on the branch, thankful that it was at least as wide as my body, and fought the urge to wrap my legs around it. Too much exposure. I wrapped my arms around it instead, inwardly grumbling at the sharp bite of the bark into my breasts.

 

“Logan!” I yelled again, he came crashing forward, and popped into my view. I was at least 50 feet in the air, and he was much tinier than usual.

 

“How the hell did you get up there?” He hollered up.

 

“I climbed!” I could see his incredulous look from here. “Get me down!”

 

“You should climb down!” Victor yelled. I growled.

 

“No, I can’t!” All this yelling was getting annoying. Hazel laughed, I heard it clear as day, and it was a hearty sultry laughter. “I heard you Hazel.” Her laughter turned into loud uproarious guffaws.

 

“You really are naked?” Logan yelled up.

 

I blushed a furious beat red and shrieked, “Yes! Now come get me!”

 

“Sweetheart, I can’t climb as good as you. And I really don’t feel like using my claws like ice picks. Why don’t you climb down and then jump?”

 

He has got to be out of his Goddamn mind. “Jump! Are you serious?”

 

He chuckled, that bastard, he chuckled at me and I could hear it. “I’ll catch ya baby, don’t worry.”

 

I glared down at him. “If I climb down everyone will see me. Get Lillian here, she can use her Telekinesis to get me down.”

 

“We could, but she’d have to bring you down slow too.” Damn. Double Damn. I laid my cheek on the branch and thought for a second.

 

“Will it hurt you if I jump down from this height?” The only response I got was a raised eyebrow. “Fine, make Vic and Eli turn around.” I could practically see Victor’s eyes roll up in his head as he turned around. Eli, noting that the situation was now under control turned to leave.

 

“I’m going back to Lillian, I don’t’ like her being alone back there.” He called, before dashing of into the forest.

 

I sent another glare to Logan and started to slowly climb down. By the time I reached halfway and was about 25 feet off the ground, I had nearly fallen to my death three times, healed from too many scratches to count, and it was a half hour later. I was tired and scared, and had had plenty of time to wonder how much sleep I got last night.

 

“Ok, I’m not climbing any more. Obviously I can’t do this as good as you all seem to think. Hazel, are you ready with that blanket?”

 

“Yep!”

 

I shot another glance at Victor. Five minutes into my climb he’d found a rock to perch on, Hazel had been keeping him company, but at my holler she’d jumped to her feet and moved closer to Logan. Every part of my body was tingly cold and I was very eager for the warmth that being in Logan’s arms promised.

 

“Are you ready Logan!” I yelled, eying him below me.

 

He held out his arms, and maneuvered into position, “You bet your sweet ass.” His golden eyes twinkled. I laughed in spite of myself.

 

I unfurled from my crouched position and stood tentatively on a sturdy branch. Logan readjusted to my position and I nearly closed my eyes when I leapt. I managed not to in the last second. I landed with a soft thud in Logan’s arms and Hazel quickly threw the blanket over me. Logan settled me onto my feet and secured the blanket around me before he scooped me back up. I laid my head on his shoulder and shivered.

 

“I’m cold.”

 

He chuckled that deep sexy chuckle of his (the one that only I get to hear) and dipped his head towards me. “I’ll take care of that when we get back to the tent.” I gasped a little and then grinned.

 

“Good.” We made it back to the encampment and Logan made good on his word.

End Notes:
Thanks so much for all your support. Any ideas on what you think might happen?
This story archived at http://wolverineandrogue.com/wrfa/viewstory.php?sid=3101