Sharing the Pain by RedRazor
Summary: Two years post movie Marie finds herself in an abusive relationship, and Logan does something about it.
Categories: X1 Characters: None
Genres: Shipper
Tags: None
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 7305 Read: 3532 Published: 11/24/2008 Updated: 11/24/2008
Story Notes:
Credit (or is that blame?) should be given where it is due. This story was inspired by the recently posted "Hope" by jenn,
"Prognostications" by Jengrrrl, and "Their Little Game" by Victoria P. That said, along with the fact that there is character death, this story is not for the faint of heart. You were warned.

1. Sharing the Pain by RedRazor

Sharing the Pain by RedRazor
At Hank's insistence, the southern mutant was sitting in a wheelchair and had decided to watch the sunset from a second story window.

The cast had come off but the arm was tiny from disuse. It would no longer be possible to pass off bruises as the result of extra danger room sessions. That didn't mean the extra sessions would stop. They were still needed to temporally silence the wondering.

Wondering at what point it became all right to suffer hurtful and deliberate pain in the name of love. Wondering why nobody had said anything. Wondering if the X-Men thought domestic violence just wasn't possible in their home.

Wondering when Wolverine would do something.

Into this wondering Storm walked in and stood a few feet behind the wheelchair. Without being face to face she could still see the haunted eyes reflected in the window.

In a gentle and maternal voice she softly asked, "Would you like me to bring you some dinner? I know you would rather not see anyone right now."

Storm stood there for over a minute waiting for a reply and figuring she wasn't going to get one, was a about to leave when the lithe figure in front of her nodded once. Somewhat relieved she turned around intending to come back with soft and easily chewable food.

'This cannot go on any longer. If Logan does not intervene I will have to do something myself' the weather goddess thought with a sad expression on her face.

She wondered how such a powerful creature could be reduced to this current state.



One week later…

Logan walked up to Marie's door and was relieved to smell that she was alone in her room. He took a deep breath and prepared to knock. He had put this off too long. Six weeks too long. No one had said anything and everybody let the situation slide for over a month now. It was quite obvious everyone thought it was his job since Marie was his responsibility. He had to agree.

Before he could bring his knuckles to the wood, a soft voice with a southern lilt told him, "Come in, Logan."

He couldn't hide his grin when he opened the door and said, "Yer getting' to be as bad as me, darlin'"

She looked up and said with complete honesty, "Ah always know when you're around Logan." Upon seeing her face his grin immediately faded. "That's some shiner ya got there, Marie"

"Yeah, Sabertooth got a lucky hit in a few days back. Some first mission, huh? Don't worry about it, sugah."

"I'll always worry about you, darlin'. That's why I'm here actually"

"Ah knew it was only a matter of time"

"Marie, this has to stop. Ya can't be with G…him anymore" He couldn't bring himself to say the name.

They stood, eyes locked with her perfect lower lip quivering somewhat for over a minute while he waited for her reply. Suddenly his arms were full of silky chestnut hair and sobbing girl.

He put his arms around her tight so she might feel protected and just held her until the worst of it was over. Then with soft murmured words like "shh darlin', it's all right" she finally quieted enough to give him a response.

Her lips were right above his heart over his flannel shirt while she spoke. "Who could Ah be with then? The man Ah love with all mah heart and soul doesn't want me."

Not pretending to not know who she meant, Logan lifted her chin with her scarf so he could look into her eyes and spoke the truest words he had ever spoken, "You're wrong, baby. I do want you. I love you, Marie."

She wanted to protest, to yell he was lying, that it was impossible for her to not know and have spent six weeks in a hellish relationship as a result. His eyes, however, stayed her anger. They were as true and honest as his words.

"But mah skin…" she said feeling a little guilty but didn't let it be heard in her voice.

"I don't care about yer skin darlin'. I love you for you and that's all that matters"

Shocked, she put her head over his heart and let new emotions wash over her. Love. A returned love she never even dared to hope for. It wasn't pity, or obligation it was pure love and she knew it.

"Ah love you too, Logan"

Logan was unprepared when her soft lips started to leave a trail from his heart up to his neck. She was nearing his skin and he was about to tell her to stop, tell her that she was too vulnerable, that it was too soon. He couldn't pull back though, because she would assume it was because of her skin and he had to show her that he meant what he had just said. Prove to her that he wasn't afraid and that he loved her and only her. Allow her mutation to leave his soul bared.

As her lips approached his neck, Marie felt him stiffen slightly but he didn't pull back at all. It saddened and elated her at once. She was unhappy that he thought she would ever harm him in any way but her heart soared because she knew he loved her enough to allow her to do this.

Logan braced for the pull and tried to put his feelings for the woman he loved as close to the surface as possible.

The pull never came.

Ten seconds later there was no pull but still he waited with his message of love ready to be delivered.

Logan finally reacted when he felt Marie's lips mold to his. Before he could kiss her back, she pulled away taking his lower lip with her until it slipped out of her lips. A million questions raced through his mind but he was too stunned for words.

Marie could see the shock on his face and let her scarf fall to the floor as she smiled at him. Logan lost his train of thought as he basked in the brilliance of her smile

After staring at her for a good long while, Logan finally spoke. "How Marie? When did this happen?" His voice was just above a whisper.

"A few weeks ago. Ah finally figured it out."

"Does Re…I mean did you tell…" he trailed off at her incredulous expression.

"Of course not!" she exclaimed. That made sense he thought.

She then gave him the most seductive smile he had ever seen and said, "Ah wanted you ta be the first ta know. Ah want…"

"What do ya want darlin'?"

Without hesitation she answered, "Ah want you, Logan"

Her scent, her eyes, her lips made it impossible to deny her. All previous arguments of time and vulnerability be damned.

He brought his lips softly to hers and kissed her thoroughly before opening his mouth. He traced his tongue over her lips and she accepted him by opening her mouth, allowing their tongues to duel. Growling softly and after sweeping her mouth more than once with his tongue, Logan finally pulled back and allowed her to breathe.

Breathing heavy but with a mischievous glint in her eyes, Marie used her flight and strength to lift Logan up and deposit him on her bed. She quickly straddled his hips and pinning his hands with her own, she brought her lips down to his neck using her memories of him to instantly find the sweet spot.

Logan basked in the glory that were Marie's lip thoroughly suckling, nipping and kissing his neck and made deep rumbling sounds in his chest as she did so. She knew exactly what she was doing and it made the task of removing her gloves that much harder. Although Marie was significantly stronger than him, she wasn't actually retraining him, so he was able to free his hands and remove her opera length gloves. He threw them as far away as he could, hopefully never to be used again. With him around she would never have to worry about anyone ever touching her again he thought possessively.

By the time he had removed her gloves, Marie had moved from his neck to ravishing his mouth. He accepted her eager advances and allowed his hand to explore her soft curves. Undoing her blouse completely, he let it hang open and molded his hands to her breasts, testing the weight of her sizable mounds. He heard her moan into his mouth and then felt her rhythmically rock her hips into his hardness.

It was too much for Logan and he had to pull away. With a protesting moan Marie used her hands to turn his face back and found his lips again while grinding even harder into him. He was lost for a good minute before he tried again. Threading his fingers through her soft hair, he used his hands to pull her head away just an inch. A breathless "Logan" fell from her lips as she opened her eyes to look at him.

"We have to stop, baby. If we don't stop I'm not gonna stop." He knew he sounded lame but couldn't help it. Logan was lucky to be able to form words at this point.

"We're not stopping Logan." The look in her eyes told him she was right. They were definitely not stopping.

To further prove her point, she reached for his shirt and pulled it open with a sudden yank allowing buttons to spin and dance across her floor. Mesmerized by the sight that was his chest, she used her bare hands to explore every inch of it before looking up to him with a little smile.

Logan removed her open blouse and seeing that she was in a playful mood, he grinned at her and said, "Two can play at this game, darlin'" He flipped her over onto her back and then knelt between her denim clad legs. Extending his index claw on both hands just an inch, he proceeded to cut her jeans from the outside. Starting at the top, he simultaneously cut both sides and using incredible precision, he navigated the long length of her elegant legs without nicking her once. Marie wondered briefly if he was a surgeon before he lost his memories.

Looking down at her glazed expression, Logan retracted his claws and easily removed the jeans leaving her in silk white panties, a matching bra and his tags. The scent of her arousal hit him with a palpable force and made his head spin. Wanting to taste the sweetness that tempted his nose so completely, he snipped the sides of her panties and dragged the silky material up across her hot, wet center. She arching her back in response and whimpered his name. The panties joined unusable jeans on the floor and Logan leaned forward to bring his nose within a hair's breath of the source of the heady aroma that had already filled the room.

Just as the anticipation became unbearable for Marie she felt his mouth on her. He used his lips and tongue to tease her throbbing bud into hardness and as Marie neared losing all semblance of sanity, she felt a long finger enter her. Pushed over the edge, she screamed his name and thrashed wildly as her first orgasm washed over her. Keeping the finger inside her, Logan lifted his head to look up at her just in time to she the flush spread across her pale skin. Enjoying the feeling of her rhythmically contracting around his finger, Logan began to gently pump it in and out of her. He could feel her responding already and added a second finger while he increased the pace.

Marie couldn't believe what was happening. Just as she was about to come down from her euphoria, Logan began moving his finger within her to maintain her high. When she felt his talented mouth on her again she could hardly believe she was so close to the peak again.

"Gawd Logan! Oh Gawd!!"

Her words spurred him on and this time when he felt her contract and heard his name as an ear-piercing scream, he didn't stop. He wondered if three orgasms in less than a minute was strictly healthy but continued to pleasure her. His fingers continued to move and his lips, tongue even his teeth didn't relent until out of desperation, Marie managed to speak.

"Oh…Ah…Ah…can't believe…again…can't take…Oh Gawd…stop…please"

His hand stilled at that last word and his head reared up but it was already too late as he felt her climax yet again.

"Don't beg, darlin'. Ya never have to beg with me."

Through her haze she managed to hear his words and actually came up with a somewhat witty response. "Ah'm beginning ta get that you'll do pretty much anything Ah ask but Ah don't think that's gonna stop me from beggin' from time ta time" she said with a lustful expression as she removed his shirt.

Logan wondered when his Marie had turned into such a seductive little vixen and said, "A woman after my own heart, eh?"

"After yer heart? Ah thought Ah already had it," she said with a mock pout.

"You do, baby. You do"

Capturing him between her thighs, Marie flipped Logan over with ridiculous ease, reminding him which one of them could bench press tanks without breaking a sweat. Straddling his thighs, Marie looked up into his eyes and said, "Well that's good to know, sugah, but right now Ah want somethin' more."

She clarified by moving her hands towards his belt and opening the buckle. She opened the button on his jeans, eased the zipper over straining flesh and at his audible sigh said, "Ah knew we shoulda done that sooner. Yer hurtin' baby." He didn't reply and just watched her remove his jeans with great interest. She knelt between his legs, as he had done to her, and stared intently at his tented boxers. "Ah wish Ah had claws too, but Ah can improvise." Hovering over him while her body was parallel to his legs, she grabbed the top of his final garment and flew backwards. It was somewhat eerie to watch since her pale skin and unnatural movement made her look vaguely reminiscent of a vampire.

Marie's eyes widened at his size and once again kneeling between his legs, she leaned forward and buried her nose in the thatch of hair above his erection to catch his wild musky scent. She hadn't yet touched his straining rod, figuring turnabout was fair play. When Logan's hips started to move, she felt she had tortured him enough and snaked a tongue out to caress him from root to tip. His back would have arched clear off the bed if she hadn't been holding his thighs down with her hands. Never breaking contact with his member, she opened her mouth to take in as much as she could. Setting up a steady rhythm, her lips moved up and down his flesh while her tongue caressed his sensitive underside. Logan was lost in a haze of pleasure but then realized Marie was still wearing something. Moving his hands from where they had setting in her hair, Logan massaged down her back and opened her bra. Marie helped him to ease out of it but never once broke her rhythm. Flinging the silky garment aside, Logan once again found her breasts and began to tease her already tight nipples. Between their previous activities, the soft flesh under his hands, and the warm, wet heat surrounding him, Logan didn't last more than five minutes. Calling out her name in a strangled gasp, Logan released into her mouth and heard her swallow his essence.

Logan pulled Marie up so she could nestle comfortably by his side while he stroked her back. Marie put an arm over his chest and sighed contentedly. This is what she had wanted for over two years now. Less than half an hour with Logan had almost completely washed away the shame and guilt she had felt for the past month and a half. Logan was of a similar mindset thinking that the worst was behind them now. This certainly hadn't been his plan when he came to Marie's room but he wasn't sorry that it happened.

Marie's hand on his chest steadily strayed downward until she was stoking him. A giddy little laugh fell from her lips as she felt him harden so soon and said, "That healing factor of yers just doesn't quit, does it sugah?"

He was about to chuckle but then he felt her tongue on his ear as she said, "We're not done yet, baby. Ah wanna feel ya inside me. Make love ta me, Logan." Knowing that he could never deny her anything, he rolled on top of her and slid down enough to be able to worship her breasts with his mouth. Using his lips and tongue he kissed and laved every inch of her bust before suckling a breast in earnest. Underneath him, Marie was moaning and bucking slightly, searching for the hardness that rested against her thigh. After giving equal attention to both breasts, Logan moved off her body and groped the floor for his jeans searching for his wallet. Just as he was about to bring the leather pouch onto the bed, he felt a painful force encircle his wrist.

Looking at the small hand that had trapping his wrist and halted his movements, Logan looked up along the tiny arm it was connected to and was amazed that something so small could be so powerful. Finally he looked into her eyes and asked, "Marie?"

"Logan, Ah've waited too long and worked so hard for this moment, Ah can't stand the thought of a barrier between us" she said with complete honesty.

"But Marie we still need to-"

She cut him off with, "Ah know mah body, it'll be safe. Don't worry. Just please now."

"Oh Marie, I want you so much" he said with a sensual growl that enflamed her further.

Covering her body with his own, but keeping most of the weight on his arms, Logan sought out her lips with his own. Locked in a passionate kiss, he slowly slid just the tip of his penis into to her wet folds to test if she was ready. He felt her stiffen slightly and pulled out immediately much to her chagrin.

"Marie, are you sure?"

"Ah've never been more sure of anything…it's just that…despite what ya might think… I've never…" Logan stopped her with a sweet kiss as he instantly understood what she was trying to say.

"Don't worry, baby, I'll go slow. I love you, Marie, I'll always be gentle with you."

Logan began to ease into her as slowly as he had promised, going in a little bit at a time and allowing her to adjust to his girth. When he finally felt her barrier he stopped and looked into her eyes. "This is gonna hurt a bit darlin'."

"It's OK, Logan, Ah'm ready." More than ready her mind corrected.

Logan pushed through and was pleased to find no pain on her face. Buried to the hilt, he waited until she began to move. When she did, Logan slid in and out of her setting up a rhythm she could easily follow. She was incredibly tight and Logan hoped that he could hold out long enough for her to climax first. Marie, for her part, was experiencing more pleasure than she thought possible. She could feel every detail of his member as he slowly moved within her and knew that he was trying to prolong the pleasure for as long as possible.

Finally, after several minutes, they were both reaching their limits as they continued to move as one. Marie was the first to give herself over to the sensual gratification that waited and cried out his name. Logan felt her contract spasmodically around him and not being able to hold himself back any longer, poured himself into her while he roared her name. When she felt the hot rush inside her, Marie amazingly peaked one more time.

Logan fought the urge to just collapse on top of her and managed to roll over, allowing her to rest bonelessly on his chest while still buried deep within her. Neither could say how long they stayed liked that, just gently caressing and murmuring soft words of love, but for the first time in their lives they felt complete. There was only one thing that nagged at Marie, though.

"Logan?"

"Yeah baby?"

"Yer not upset with me for… ya know… kinda testin' ya when Ah asked about mah skin, are ya?"

It took him a few moments to understand what she meant but then remembered the conversation they had before he experienced the best sex of his life.

"No, baby, not at all. Ya were well within yer rights."

"Ah'm sorry for being a bit dishonest with ya but I just wanted to know-"

"Marie darlin'," he cut in, "It's OK, I understand and it doesn't bother me. Just be straight with me from now on and I'll be happy."

"Always, Logan, always. Ah love ya, Ah just love ya so much."

"I love you too, Marie."

Just when Logan thought Marie was going to fall asleep, she began working her magic on his neck again, and when she finally made it to his ear, she said, "Ah hope ya weren't plannin' on getting any sleep tanight." His lack of response wasn't just from the seductive tone she used but also from the feel of her inner muscles clenching him as she began to rock her hips over him.

Neither one noticed the sun peek through the closed curtains several hours later.



The next night found the new lovers similarly occupied, except they were in Logan's room this time.

After a few intense hours of lovemaking, Marie was once again lying on top of Logan when she smiled up at him and said, "Ya weren't kiddin' last night, this does only get bettah."

He was about to say something self-congratulatory but before he could, Marie jumped off him and floated gracefully to the floor beside his bed. He arched an eye brow when she began pulling on one of his shirts and she answered his unspoken question with, "Ya kinda did a number on mah clothes and Ah need somethin' when Ah go ta mah room tomorrow morning…er rather afternoon."

"What's wrong with what yer wearin'?" Logan asked trying to keep the worry out of his voice. He was afraid she might want to keep their relationship a secret despite the fact everyone in the mansion had probably already heard her screaming his name two nights in a row.

Sensing his thoughts Marie knelt by his bed and answered with, "Logan, nothin' would make me happier than flyin' ta the roof and yellin' at the top of mah lungs that ya belong ta me, but Ah don't think everyone's quite ready for us just yet." She gave him a soft kiss on the lips and then got up.

Her possessiveness pleased him along with the way his shirt looked on her. He slapped her bottom and said, "OK darlin', hurry back." She turned and went for the door but he stopped her by saying, "Marie?" She turned and smiled slightly.

"Yeah, sugah?"

"I hope you weren't planning on getting' any sleep tonight."

Recognizing the words as her own from the night before, her smile turned downright lascivious.

"Ya know Logan, Ah neveh thought Ah'd say this, but Ah love being a mutant."

She closed the door behind her so no one else would hear his laughter.



Although every word she had just said to Logan was true, Marie felt a little guilty about not telling the whole truth for her departure, especially after her promise last night. However, she felt it would be better this way because she doubted Logan would be too pleased with whose door she was opening. Marie remembered all the pain and suffering that had gone on just beyond the door she was in front of and couldn't suppress a slight shudder. After she woke up this afternoon in Logan's arms she had spend the rest of the day in his presence talking about things that needed to be discussed. This, however, could not be put off any longer.

"Hey! Wake Up!" she whispered very harshly from the door. She dared not step inside for fear that Logan might detect the scent of the occupant when she went back to him in a few minutes.

Said occupant was not a light sleeper and woke with a start.

"Quoi?"

She could see two tiny points of red light in the darkness and said, "It ovah. No more hurtin'. Goodbye." She closed the door and went to her room to retrieve a robe before she got any reply.



"Hey, babe, that was quick. Miss me that much did ya?"

She closed the door behind her but didn't answer. She hoped there was no trace of the other man's scent on her. If there was and Logan brought it up, she figured she could just blame it on the robe.

When she didn't answer and Logan noticed the slight frown on her face he asked, "Is everything alright, Marie?"

Marie looked up and smiled a genuine smile. It really was over and she didn't have to worry anymore. She shed her robe and left it in a heap by the door as she floated towards Logan.

"Everything's fine, sugah. Especially now that Ah got ya right where Ah want ya" she said after straddling his hips.

Logan smirked and removed the shirt she was wearing so they could continue where they had left off a few minutes ago.



Logan and Marie's relationship had progressed nicely for three weeks and during that time their involvement had become obvious to everyone. Surprisingly, there were no angry glares or even any disapproval. If anything, the mansion occupants seemed to be relieved.

Three weeks and neither one of them had seen hide nor hare of the red eyed man. Until today when Logan spotted him in the cafeteria. It was rather fitting, Logan thought, to see him there again. Logan wasn't sure what to expect when he did see him. Although Logan had been back at the mansion for nearly ten weeks now they had not exchanged a single word, not even on the only mission that had come up since his return. Logan didn't know what he would see when he looked into the red on black demonic eyes. Anger? Fear? When their eyes locked briefly, Logan saw neither reaction. However, what he did see frightened him. Before Logan could contemplate any further on what he saw, Storm had put a hand on his shoulder from behind and told him the Brotherhood was attacking a military base and they had to be airborne within five minutes. Magneto had escaped his plastic prison a year before Logan had returned to the mansion.

It had been a difficult mission but the outcome was positive since nuclear weapons had been kept out of Magneto's hands. He had gotten away along with Sabertooth, but not before Wolverine had inflicted some serious damage on the larger mutant and taken some as well. Mystique had been killed. Toad apparently hadn't recovered from their previous fight and wasn't present. There were others, but they had been arrested.

All of that didn't really now because Logan and Marie were together in his room and she was as frisky as he'd ever seen. He could relate, since his adrenaline high was still in effect from the mission. As she stripped out of her one-piece leather costume and pushed Logan onto the bed, he hoped this was always the way it would be after a mission, right down to her lack of underwear. Marie didn't give him a chance to get his costume off since she could rub his chest through all the rips and began attacking his lips with her own.

She really was an amazing kisser, Logan thought, and wondered how much was natural talent and how much was him in her head knowing what he liked. He really didn't care either way since it was incredible how much she could arouse him with just her lips. She made her way to his neck and Logan smiled. He liked that too. He stopped smiling, though, when she bit into his biceps. It didn't really hurt much but it caught him off guard. Logan looked at the small hole in the leather she had put there and the tiny bit of blood that came out before the cut sealed. She had shifted her attention to his chest allowing a clearer view of the drop of red blood on black leather. Red on Black. His thoughts immediately shifted to his encounter in the cafeteria earlier in the day. His thoughts picked up from where Storm had disturbed them and he tried to discern what he had seen in those red on black eyes only a few hours ago.

Marie noticed that below her, Logan had stopped responding to her touch, which was very strange. He was looking at his arm with a far away expression in his eyes.

"Logan, Ah'm sorry 'bout that, Ah guess Ah got a little carried away." She apologized but was a little surprised. She had bitten him lots of times before and he seemed to like it.

She was talking about biting his arm he knew, so he grinned wolfishly at her and said, "Don't worry about it, babe, you know it turns me on."

"Ah thought it did. So what's the problem?"

"We need to talk" She knew exactly what he wanted to talk about.

"Logan we discussed all of that after our…first night together."

"Yeah, we talked a lot about it and you give me a lot of details too." More than he had wanted actually. "But ya never told me why. You're such a strong person, I don't understand why it happened."

She had actually expected that question a lot sooner, but after three weeks she just assumed Logan had let it go. Apparently not. She sighed and prepared to tell him everything there was to know.

"Ya remember the first day ya got back?"

"Yeah, I was a little worried ya'd be pissed I was gone fer two years."

"Ya kept in touch though. Letters and postcards and phone calls. I missed ya somethin' fierce but I was never mad. I knew ya had ta go. Just like Ah knew ya really meant ya'd be back for me when ya gave me yer tags."

"That would explain the warm welcome I got. Yeah, that first day was perfect. We really caught up on what we missed." The most important development being her acquisition of flight and strength.

"The second day wasn't so perfect, was it?" He shook his head at her question.

"Ah was havin' such a good time that first day it totally slipped mah mind to tell ya I was datin' Remy. It had been less than a week and it wasn't anythin' serious and Ah was gonna break it off."

She closed her eyes as she relived a painful memory and then spoke again, "I just about died when ya came into the cafeteria and saw his arm around mah shoulders." She remembered seeing the pain and betrayal on his face before he turned around and stalked out. "Ah know it must have seemed Ah was leadin' ya on with the things Ah told ya the day before. Ah tried chasin' after ya but ya got to yer bike before I could get to ya. Ah was so out of it Ah forgot Ah could fly." She had only had her new powers for a few days at that time. Marie looked up to gauge his reaction but he just stared at her waiting. Realizing she hadn't really answered his question yet she continued.

"Ah was just so angry, mostly at myself and-"

"No darlin', it was my fault. I shouldn't have jumped to conclusions. I should have stayed and heard ya out."

"No Logan, Ah had no excuse for sittin' with Remy like that after everything Ah had told ya, sure Ah was trying to let him down easy but-"

"Aww darlin' it doesn't really matter now. I shouldn't have asked. Everything was going fine and I shouldn't have ruined it by asking why."

"Ya didn't ruin anything. Ah wanna tell ya. Ah don't want any secrets between us." At his nod she continued, "Ah thought ya weren't comin' back," She closed her eyes and remembered crying that night. She couldn't believe how fast her life had gone from perfect to nightmare. "But ya did, that night Ah guess. But ya were avoiding me. Ah was just so mad at myself and Remy and it just got worse everyday. Ah've never been that angry and don't ya dare blame yerself. The you in mah head was actually trying to calm me down if ya can believe that. Don't evah think what happened was yer fault." He didn't really believe her, didn't want to believe it. He wanted to blame himself, it would be so much easier that way.

Marie took a deep breath and prepared to answer his question directly. "The pain inside was just too much and…and…Ah just didn't wanna feel it on the inside anymore… so…so… he was…"

"That's enough Marie, I understand now and I'm sorry, I'm just so sorry. I knew what was going on and I did nothing. I thought you could handle it but I was wrong and-"

"Logan Ah didn't tell ya this ta make ya feel guilty. It's not yer fault. Not yer fault, not Remy's fault, just me."

"Marie! Don't ever think that! Oh God…listen Marie yer still hurtin' on the inside and I know it's my fault…I wouldn't mind letin' ya…you know…on me…" he knew it was the wrong thing to say as soon as he said it but he had panicked.

Marie freaked. That was probably the best word to describe her hysteria as she threw herself into his arms and was reduced to a sobbing mess. For over half an hour, between broken, heart wrenching sobs, she told him over and over that she would never hurt him, could never hurt him. Basically told him she would never share her pain with him in that way.

After her sobs died down to a light sniffling he just held her and continued to do so even after she went quiet. After an hour of silence she finally spoke. In a soft voice she said, "It's all behind us now, right Logan? We can just be tagether and not worry 'bout anythin' else, right?"

He wanted to tell her yes, but there was still one thing left to do. It would be painful but it needed to be done. In a gentle voice he spoke into the hair above her ear, "Listen Marie, the worst is behind us and everything will be fine but there's one thing ya need to do."

"What Logan? Ah'll do anythin' ta make it alright."

"Ya need ta make peace with him. Whether you like it or not he's our teammate and there can't be any fear between teammates."

She cringed at the thought but didn't argue because he was right.

"OK Logan, Ah'll talk to him tomorrow. Will ya come with me?"

He sighed and said, "Marie, I think this is somethin' ya need to do on yer own."

She nodded her head because once again he was right.

"OK darlin', let's just sleep now. After tomorrow everything will be alright."

Logan removed his costume and settled into bed with her, placing her head on his chest as he held her tight. Just as consciousness was leaving Marie, she said, "Goodnight Logan, Ah love you."

"'Night baby, I love you too."



The next afternoon, Logan walked across Xavier's manicured lawn toward the bench where a lone figure sat. As he walked closer, Logan thought about all the things he needed to say. He sat down next to the lithe, southern mutant and said, "Did Marie talk to you yet?"

"Who?"

Logan felt the anger in him rise. After everything that had happened he still didn't know her name.

"Rogue. Did Rogue talk to you yet?

"Oui. Remy surprised by what she said but t'ink you put her up to it."

"She would have come around on her own eventually."

They sat in silence for a few minutes before Logan spoke up. "It's over Cajun. You don't have to worry, I'm not going to do anything, Ma…Rogue's not going to do anything. You don't have to be afraid."

Gambit turned so he could look at Logan and stared into his hazel eyes. Logan could see that the look in his eyes was the same as from the cafeteria from the day before. Then his words matched the look.

"T'ank you."

Gratitude.

More silence until Gambit spoke. "It not right for ya to be with her…ya should not have to take Remy's place. Wid your powers no one will even suspect."

Shame welled up in Logan at those words but he didn't say anything.

"Ah…Remy should have known. She not like dat with you, n'est pas?"

"No she's not so just…just don't worry about it."

"But still it not right, ya should not have to be wid a woman ya can't touch so Remy can be safe."

Emotion overwhelmed Logan with those words and he couldn't believe the unfamiliar stinging in his eyes that had started so he looked away. This wasn't right. The boy should be angry and furious with him, not worried about his well being and happiness.

It wasn't right that he had stopped using a wheelchair only yesterday.

Logan couldn't take anymore and lashed out. "Why Cajun?! Why didn't you do anything. You just took it! Why?!"

"Because Remy knew why she was doing it and hoped that once she get her anger out she love Remy like Remy loved her."

Logan didn't say anything so Remy continued, "Remy knew she loved ya and was angry she couldn't have ya and blamed Remy for being with her when ya came back."

"How the hell could you know all that?"

"Remy know that we have never spoken before today but Remy trust you so he tell you a secret."

Logan looked back to him and waited

"Remy an empath too."

Logan just blinked as he took that in. Multiple mutations were possible, he thought, Jean was a telepath and a telekinetic.

"If you're such a great goddamn empath why didn't you just tell her I loved her and saved your head from getting bashed in every night? Did ya really wanna be with her that bad?"

"Non. You never came near Remy and he didn't know you loved her until now."

His power must have a limited range Logan thought. It was true, he had been avoiding Gambit after he suspected what was going on. Logan didn't want to see the naked look of fear in his eyes and know his little Marie had put it there. It really was all his fault.

"I still don't get it. Ya should have just left her."

"Remy already told ya. Remy think she come around eventually and the pain would stop for both of us. Dat she would love Remy like Remy loved her."

"Do you still love her?" No jealousy just concern.

"It be a little hard to continue lovin' someone when she make sure your head get 'bashed in every night' non?"

"Then why did you stay with her goddammit?!" Logan wanted a different answer this time.

"Remy don't know!"

After they both calmed down Logan spoke. "It's my fault you know. It must have been me in her head telling her-" Gambit's shrill and almost maniacal laughter cut him off.

"You t'ink Gambit didn't t'ink dat? Didn't tell her dat? You know what she told Remy den? She said the you in her head was trying to stop her. Remy didn't really believe it until you sat by him today. Remy know what you're feeling now."

That was exactly what Marie had told him yesterday. Again that unfamiliar stinging sensation had found its way into Logan's eyes. There was only one thing that Logan had left to cling to so he could put the blame on someone else besides Marie.

"It must have been Magneto then."

Gambit could feel that Logan wanted to believe that desperately and took pity on him.

"Oui, it possible. Remy never ask 'bout dat." That much was true maybe it was the Magneto in her head.

Neither man really believed it though.

"Listen Cajun, it doesn't really matter now. She won't hurt you again. I'll make sure of it."

Gambit gave him a somewhat skeptical look and Logan continued with, "Look Remy, I'll admit the first time I saw ya…" What was he doing? He wanted to reassure the boy not frighten him further. "I mean ya can trust me. Ya can use yer power and know that to be true. Ya already said as much."

Whether Gambit believed that or not didn't matter. He was beyond caring.

"What were you going to tell Remy 'bout the first time you saw him?"

"Forget about that, it's in the past."

"WHAT WERE YOU GOING TO SAY!!!"

Logan raised a brow and said, "The first time I saw ya I wanted ta gut ya."

Logan smiled to himself. Maybe the boy's anger meant he wasn't completely broken yet. Maybe there was still hope. Maybe…

"Remy wish you had done jus' dat."

Maybe not.



Breathe in right away, nothing seems
to fill this place
I need this every time, take your
lies get off my case
Some day I will find, a love that flows
Through me like this
This will fall away, this will fall away

You're getting closer, to pushing me
Off of life's little edge
Cause I'm a loser and sooner or later
You know I'll be dead
You're getting closer, you're holding the
Rope and I'm taking the fall
Cause I'm a loser, I'm a loser, yeah

This is getting old, I can't break these
Chains that I hold
My body's growing cold, there's nothin
Left of this mind or my soul
Addiction needs a pacifier, the buzz of
This poison is taking me higher
This will fall away, this will fall away

You're getting closer, to pushing me
Off of life's little edge
Cause I'm a loser and sooner or later
You know I'll be dead
You're getting closer, you're holding
the rope and I'm taking the fall
Cause I'm a loser, I'm a loser!

You're getting closer, to pushing me
Off of life's little edge
Cause I'm a loser and sooner or later
You know I'll be dead
You're getting closer, you're holding
the rope and I'm taking the fall
Cause I'm a loser!

You're getting closer, to pushing me
Off of life's little edge
Cause I'm a loser and sooner or later
You know I'll be dead
You're getting closer, you're holding
the rope and I'm taking the fall
Cause I'm a loser!


('Loser' by Three Doors Down)
(Lyrics by Arnold)
(Music Roberts, Arnold & Harrell)

This story archived at http://wolverineandrogue.com/wrfa/viewstory.php?sid=3089