Sorry I Ruined Your Wedding by Ally 02
Summary: Rogue's miserable on the Summers' big day, and not why you think...
Categories: X1 Characters: None
Genres: Dark
Tags: None
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 1765 Read: 2018 Published: 03/18/2004 Updated: 03/18/2004

1. Chapter 1 by Ally 02

Chapter 1 by Ally 02
Author's Notes:
Feedback would be nice, whether bad or good, I would just like some!! I hope you enjoy this though it is kind of sad! There is a character death here. This is a really short little thing I literally just wrote. I was bored. This is my very first post so don't be too hard on me! Normally I prefer happy stories, but I am kinda sick right now and not in a very happy mood. One more thing, I love all the fic I read here. I joined the list about a month ago and I am addicted!
Want the truth? Well, so do I, but it doesn't look like any of us will ever know the truth. That is just the way it is and I am going to have to accept that.

I'm sitting here watching the events unfolding before me. The lovely ceremony, the flowers, the people, some happy, some sad. The chair I am sitting in digs into my back. Its white paint is chipping off under the ministrations of my foot. I don't want to be here. Many of us don't. But I have my own reasons, different reasons. So, no longer a scared innocent afraid of the authority of others, I simply stand up and start to walk out. I am sitting in the front row, so my strange exit is noticed by all. I climb out of my row and walk down the aisle, my eyes downcast as in shame. At least they will think it shame or maybe sadness for what can never be offered me. But the truth is, I keep my eyes down so they don't see the fear and hate.

But suddenly I stop halfway down the aisle. I can feel a presence. It's not only in my mind but it seems to be suffocating me. The room is completely silent and I can tell all eyes are on me. I can feel their curious eyes burning into my skin asking me a silent question: What's wrong? But nobody has time to voice it out loud, because suddenly I realize what the presence is and my heads snaps up, and all the hate and fear that is in my eyes is viewed by the entire congregation for one eternal second before being replaced by pure rage. Some gasp as if in shock at such emotion on my face. But at the moment I am oblivious for the presence I felt earlier is growing stronger. Before I can control it my mouth opens and screams "NO!" If they weren't paying attention before, well everyone was now. I go to take a step then stumble, force myself to get back up only to be thrown to the ground by an unseen force. "Noo!!" I cry again, only this time much softer.

The fog that started creeping into my mind has cleared now. And with that clarity I start to cry, I mean really cry. I hear the people around me start to talk and whisper to each other. I know exactly what they're thinking. But only I know that they are wrong. They think I am upset at the wonderful event that is taking place in this very room. They think I am upset because everyone knows I'll never be able to participate in it and its happiness. They think I am upset because I will never be able to have that kind of love. But like I said they're wrong.

I'm crying because I just lost something. Something that is so precious to me that it will never be replaced. My mind has been mixed together like scrambled eggs, and the pain of this loss is threatening to take over my body, but if there is one thing I have learned, it's how to fight and not succumb to the pain.

I suddenly see a flash of white through the flood of tears and I hear a soothing voice. What is she saying, I can't quite make it out. The blood has rushed to my ears making it impossible for me to clearly see or hear anything. I feel Jean trying to enter my mind, but I shut her out. This is my loss and mine to bear. Her hands come up to stroke my hair but I flinch away shouting, "Don't touch me!"

"Oh honey," I can hear her now, "I know that this wedding must be tough for you, given your unique situation, but..." She trails off not really knowing what to say. Jean thinks that she knows what the problem is, but I effectively shut her out of my mind. She thinks it is her wedding that is affecting me. Ha! If only she knew. Memories flood to me momentarily blocking all else out. I get lost in these memories and want to drown myself in them. The pain is starting to break my defenses and my sobbing increases.

"I know this is tough for you..." But I cut Scott off with a sudden end to my crying and a look that would kill if it could.

"WHAT-DO-YOU-KNOW?" I say slowly and coldly. He flinches back a little. "What do any of you know?" I whisper harshly. I furiously scrub at my tears. "It isn't your wedding."

"Then what is it?" asks Jean. Oh how I want to tell them, to let them hold me and comfort me as I cry. But to speak it out loud would probably kill me.

But my thoughts are cut off by a commotion in the back of the church. I sense a tenseness in the air, and I can smell the fear and hate. That's right -- I said I could smell it.

"Get out! Now! Or I will kill you," Scott says to the huge intruder. He stares at me and I stare into his evil vacant eyes.

"No Scott. He'll leave, peacefully." Silence. Everyone turns to look at me. Scott has a funny expression on his face. The one he gets sometimes where he is confused, angry, and curious all at once. I muster up some strength and stand to face this creature who I now hate more than anything else in this world. Sabretooth just smiles a smug smile at me.

"What makes you think I plan on leaving peacefully?" he asks almost humorously, his eyes never leaving mine.

"Because I will kill you if you don't, and you don't want to die right now. I smell the fear on you." Well, now everyone was looking back at me. I could tell Jean was trying to get in my head, but I was still blocking' her. I drew strength from the hate for this mutant and took a couple of steps closer to him.

"Ha! You don't scare me," he says, growling the whole time. "You know why I am here?" he asks in a happy mood. Oh god, if only I didn't know what brought him here. If only I were ignorant to his mission.

"Yes." I say this quietly and with feeling.

"'Then know it is done and the war starts now.' That is my message. I'll leave peacefully for now, but I have a feeling we'll see each other again and that meeting won't be so peaceful." With that he runs out of the church laughing.

"I will kill you!" I shout after him. All my fear and sadness have been replaced by hate now. The tears dry up I hold my head higher and turn to face my "friends."

"What under the goddess' moon was that all about?" asks Ororo. I always liked her calm demeanor, her patient way about things. I smile at her sadly. She knows I am hurt but can't guess why.

But my mind is made up. Pushing the last bit of sadness into oblivion I say, "I'm leaving, and I won't be back till they pay for what they've done."

And I start to walk down the aisle to the door where, only moments before, the man who killed the last bit of happiness in me walked out.

"Wait! Rogue. What is going on? What did he mean by 'then know it is done'? What has happened?" Scott calls to my back. I turn and I smile at their ignorance and their fear.

"I wish you and Jean the greatest happiness on this day Scott, I really do, but I am afraid this wedding just turned into a funeral." They're confused now. "They killed him, just now. He's dead, gone, never coming back." I try to fight them, but silent tears start to stream down my face. "Logan won't be coming back. And if I fail, neither will I."

I pause while what I just said sinks in. They're speechless, allowing me to quickly say what must be said before I depart and they try to stop me. "I love you all, you know that, but I also love him. I will kill Sabretooth, make no mistakes about that. But in my quest to kill Magneto, I don't know. He is so strong. But I have a secret weapon that they don't know about. Well, I've made my corny little speech...guess I'll be goin' now. Thanks for everything. Oh, and sorry I ruined your wedding." And I turn and walk out of the door. Okay maybe the speech thing was a little corny and a little harsh, but I couldn't just leave them without any kind of explanation.

Once out of the church I grab some things from home then sprint into the forest following Sabretooth's scent. The big cat didn't know I'd be able to that! As I slide through the shadows with incredible stealth and silence, I think of what Logan gave me right before they killed him. You see, Magneto didn't realize there was a bond between us, formed after Magneto kidnapped me. That bond was even stronger than I had imagined.

Before Sabretooth gave Logan the final blow, Logan somehow transferred his powers to me. And now as I crouch in the bushes hunting my prey, I know that Logan will always be with me in this way, as my secret weapon. Soon they'll all know I have his abilities, but no one will ever know I have his mind with me as well. He is talking to me and I can hear him. And that is the only thing keeping me sane.

I talked about truth before. I'm stalking my prey and knowing that I will never know the truth about why humanity shuns us, why they had to kill Logan, why they think I am so precious, why I can never find happiness. And you know what? I don't want the truth. All I've seen so far is that the truth hurts, and I don't want to hurt anymore. For now I am content. Content with my mission. For now. I spring to another bush, following the scent, trying to push down the tears of loss and pain that threaten to come again.

I'm here, darlin', don't worry. Now let's go huntin'.

I hear his voice inside me and answer back, "Whatever you say love."
This story archived at http://wolverineandrogue.com/wrfa/viewstory.php?sid=308