The Unexpected by New Moon
Summary: Sometimes it takes somebody else to point out the obvious
Categories: X3, AU Characters: None
Genres: Humor
Tags: None
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: What To Expect
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 770 Read: 2923 Published: 11/11/2008 Updated: 11/11/2008
Story Notes:
My first series, I'll be adding more in the next few days, as time and children allow! I'd be thrilled with feedback if anyone is so inclined.

1. Chapter 1 by New Moon

Chapter 1 by New Moon
Logan sat at the kitchen counter, nursing a beer and wondering what the hell had happened to his relationship. After years of convincing himself that he was merely Rogue's protector, older brother figure and friend, he'd been forced to face the fact that all that was bullshit and there was no use deluding himself any longer. He'd confronted Marie about their status. Figuring he'd have to woo her at best or wear down her defenses at worst, he'd been reduced to shocked amazement when Marie had laughed, curved a gloved hand around his chin and replied "Well, it's about damn time, sugah." After that he didn't remember much more about the day because his mind had nearly melted from the sex. Mind blowing sex, yes, but also tender moments and the feeling he'd really found the perfect mate, the other half of his heart and soul. It had been a great year.

But lately.....

Logan looked up as Hank stepped into the kitchen.

"Good evening, Logan. Would you mind if I joined you while I have a cup of tea?"

Logan shrugged. "Suit yourself, Blue."

Hank put the kettle on, glancing at his team mate over the rims of his glasses. "My intention is not to pry, but is everything alright? You seem....dejected." Seating himself on the next stool, he leaned forward. "May I be of any assistance?"

Hazel eyes met his, bewildered. "I don't know what happened, Hank. It was all great and then, BAM, it's all shot to hell and I don't even know what it's about."

"I see," intoned Hank, who really didn't see at all. "Er, Logan, might you be a bit more specific?"

Logan gave a half hearted growl. "Rogue. We've barely been married a year. We've been happy, well *I* was happy and I thought she was too. Now she's mean and snappy and cryin' all the time and if I even think about asking why she damn near tears my head off." Pausing, he drained his beer and shook his head. "I tried to kiss her about an hour ago and she burst into tears and locked herself in the bathroom."

Hank made a sympathetic tsk tsk sound. "Do you have any idea what's wrong?"

With a snarl, Logan glared at the doctor. "If I *knew*, I wouldn't be here drinkin' beer with your furry blue ass while my wife cries her heart out upstairs." He paused. "No offense, Hank."

"None taken my friend."

Logan shook his head and mumbled. Hank frowned and leaned forward. "What was that?"

Looking stricken, Logan lifted his gaze and met Hank's eyes. "I said, I think she doesn't love me anymore. Why else would she be cryin'? Maybe she finally realized I'm no prize catch and she regrets marryin' me."

Hank rose, walking to Logan and clapping his shoulder sympathetically. "I'm sure that isn't the case. Why, when you two look at each other you practically catche fire and the rest of us know it's only a matter of time before you leave and room and ...." He paused in mid sentence as a thought occurred to him.

"Logan, when was....err, when did.......oh my, this is awkward."

"Spit it out, Doc."

"When did Rogue last have her courses?"

Logan looked at him blankly. "Well, she did take some classes at the local college last summer but....."

Hank sighed, exasperated. "Not *those* courses. Her menstrual courses, her period, her time of the month."

Bemused, Logan pondered. "Uh, not since right before we went on that camping trip about 6 weeks ago."

Hank just stared at him, waiting for the cylinders to click.

Logan stiffened, then snapped his head around to look at Hank. "You mean she's.....you think she's....."

Smiling, Hank nodded. "Extremes in mood are quite common in the early stages of pregnancy. Poor temper, mercurial mood swings, crying jags, it's all part of the massive hormonal upheaval in a woman's body during gestation. She may not even be aware of it herself yet."

Stunned, Logan whistled to himself. "I'll be damned." Glancing at the doctor again, he grinned. "A baby."

Hank chuckled. "Indeed, a baby. I'll warn you that much more of the same is likely to happen regarding her moods. To help you understand what she's going through, you may want to read "What To Expect When You're Expecting" as resource material. I believe we may have a copy here in the mansion library......"

He trailed off as Logan bounded out of the kitchen.

Reaching for the kettle that had begun to whistle, Hank smiled to himself. "It's going to be a very interesting year!"
This story archived at http://wolverineandrogue.com/wrfa/viewstory.php?sid=3066