Champagne And French Fries by Peachy
Summary: Rogue's birthday surprise.
Categories: X1 Characters: None
Genres: Shipper
Tags: None
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: Seasons Change
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 2774 Read: 2103 Published: 11/02/2008 Updated: 11/02/2008

1. Champagne And French Fries by Peachy

Champagne And French Fries by Peachy
Logan decided to finally take Marie out...for the first time...on a real date. He wanted to make it special since her birthday was coming up. She deserved it. He'd be a sap if he did it, but he did it for Marie. Before he could even raise a hand to knock...

"Just come in Logan," Jean said. He walked in. "What can I do for you?" She smiled, knowing what he wanted and not sure she approved of it, but she left her opinions to herself.

"You know of any good places to eat around here? Someplace nice."

"Sure, Lespinasse if you want something French, Citronelle for Italian, and Richii's has just about everything." She didn't have to ask why and he knew she'd probably know.

"Great. Any of those places have music and such?"

"Yes and they are all very expensive."

"Thanks."

"Logan, be careful. That's all I ask." Her eyes filled with concern. She knew they were connected and could sense their ever-growing closeness but Rogue was so much younger then Logan. She felt love between them though and that made her smile. They were happy and that was the important thing.

He left before she could say anything else.



He called, finding out prices and making reservations and getting proper dress. He was glad he saved up. This was going to be an expensive evening but it was worth the price for Marie. He estimated about 500 bucks for the night. But it was her birthday and he wanted to make it as special as possible.

She would be 19. Still so young compared to himself. He didn't know; he could be well over 80. Because of his age difference he kept his distance, never pushing her for anything. Never wanted her to feel uncomfortable with him. He finally acknowledged all those thoughts he had for Marie when he saw her and didn't push them away any longer. He realized he like them and perhaps it was okay. Everyone else saw friends but he saw more. He wasn't sure how to define how he felt about her but he would never force anything on her, ever. She had an effect on him like no other woman had before.



Rogue's birthday was this weekend. She'd be 19. She felt older and couldn't believe how much had changed in her life. She wanted to go back to 15, before her mutation to the life she had. There were no worries; she was planning her great trip to Anchorage in Alaska and had her loving family at that time. On the other hand she wanted to be older, to be closer to Logan.

She knew her friends were planning a party for her. She didn't want a big deal made out of everything but they would anyway. They tried to hide it from her but the whispers...too many smiles and small talk.

She should have been more prepared and expecting it but fell into their trap. She went to a movie-watching session with her friends in the TV room, just like any other Friday night, and

"SURPRISE!... Happy birthday!"

She jumped about three feet in shock and smiled. She knew it was coming yet they got her good.

The party was a lot of fun. They got her a giant ice cream cake, her favorite. There was music galore and dancing. It was a blast. Gifts then came. She didn't really want or need anything. She had everything she could possibly want. They chipped in to buy this and that for her.

Finally Logan gave her something. She was excited and didn't know what he could possibly get her. She was disappointed at what he handed her. A card. Nothing more. He quickly avoided her eyes and said happy birthday. She opened it and it read:

Happy Birthday, Marie...tomorrow seven p.m. & wear something nice.


Her disappointment faded and she was replaced with intrigue. She looked up at him and his expression was blank. She didn't know how to read him. With that the party kick up and Logan left. Rogue guessed he was not much of a dancing fan. He just didn't want to ruin his image and have them all see him get all mushy in front of everyone.

That night she danced almost till dawn and eventually went to bed. It was hard to sleep, all she could think about was tomorrow night...well, actually now it was three a.m., so it would be tonight.



The day was too long and all she could think about was Logan's surprise. Her stomached turned in anticipation of what might come. Jubilee and Katherine rubbed in all their ideas; some of Jubilee's were rather crude and Rogue yelled at her for it. Finally she got ready for the evening. Jubilee and Katherine helped her. The guys weren't thrilled about her going out with Logan. They thought he was too old for her and were just worried about her. The girls loved it; St. John knew why. All the girls thought Logan was so cute.

Finally the guys stopped by to give their approval of the girls' final product. Their jaws dropped at the sight of Rogue. She was like an angel. She had on her scarf and gloves with the dress that fit her perfectly. Bobby got an elbow in the ribs from Katherine and his jaw finally shut.

"You look fabulous Rogue," St. John said. He was safe.

Gambit whispered in Jubilee's ears... "You'd look just as good." And she smiled and glazed her eyes at him.

The guys finally left because if Logan showed up; he'd kill them all to know they were waiting to see him.



Finally Logan came to knock on her door, taking Jean's advice to give Marie plenty of time to get ready. He could hear whispering inside the door. Girl talk...great! Just what he didn't want. One of the younger students passed him in the hall and stared at him in the tux suit. He growled and the kid ran off.

He knocked and Marie opened the door. She stood before him in a frost-green dress, spaghetti straps with a silk wrap to match. The top part was thin layers of silk binding in the back and flowing down her back in two drapes. She had her gloves on and a scarf that matched her thin silk lace top. The dress was tight at the top and flowed at the bottom to her ankles. Her hair was pulled back except for the white ringlets on her face. He realized he wasn't breathing and exhaled and inhaled deeply. Rogue noticed and blushed, her face turning flush. Logan thought it was cute but felt bad about making her uncomfortable.



Rogue opened the door to find Logan but not her average Logan. He had donned a tuxedo black from head to toe. What they say is true: every man looks good in a tux. He was gorgeous. He was clean-shaven, too; he did that for her? Made him look a lot younger and much more handsome in her opinion. She thought it was sweet. Loved how his eyes bored into her and took her away with him.

Jubilee and Katherine peeked out the door and were shocked at the man before them, which was not Wolverine but Logan on sedatives. They couldn't believe it.

"Shall we go?" was all he said and extended his arm. He didn't like an audience. Rogue took it and waved "bye" to Jubilee and Katherine, who ran to the guys' room to share every juicy detail.



As they walked out to the garage Logan leaned over and whispered in her ear, "You look like an angel tonight, Marie."

She smiled. "Thank you. You look very handsome yourself." And she looked up at him. He smiled and was that a blush Rogue thought she saw?

He took the black stick-shift sports car. Next to the motorcycle it was his favorite. He had to hand it to Xavier: he loved cars and had excellent taste.

He was a gentleman and opened and shut her door for her. He turned the ignition, pushed down on the gas petal and shifted into gear and they were off.

Rogue bit her lower lip during the drive and looked out the window as he played some tunes off of some CD. She felt like she was floating on air.

"So, where are we going?" She was rather curious.

"Sorry." He turned and gave a grin she melting into. If he had asked her to speak, she wouldn't be able to. "My secret," he finished. And looked back to driving.

Occasionally he glanced over and they made small talk about her party and how the rest of the event went. She said it was okay, and admitted to being anxious about tonight. Logan then hoped he could make it live up to her expectations.



Finally the two lovebirds arrived at the restaurant and Rogue looked from the restaurant to Logan and back and back again. She was in shock.

"What? I can eat at a place like this too, you know." He got out and gave the valet the keys and opened the door for her. She took his hand and went in.

Their table was perfect, overlooking the dance floor below and the window outside to see the city lights. They had a small orchestra playing. She couldn't believe he did all this for her birthday. It was too much. She quickly wiped a tear that was forming in her eyes away.

It was so elegant. Logan ordered champagne that tasted like strawberries. Rogue loved it and downed it. It wasn't a Logan drink, though, so he let her enjoy it, but not too much.

"Careful there," he warned as she finished her first glass like it was water.

"I like it!"

"I don't want you to pass out on me now." He smiled.

The dinner was fabulous, a six-course meal in total over three hours. She didn't think she could eat that much food. In between they danced below to the soft symphonic music. Logan knew how to slow dance as he swept her out around the floor. She had to giggle, as no one else got to see this secret side of Wolverine but her. It made her feel very special.

They got some weird looks from some people but ignored them all. It was just her and Logan. His hands were soft as they traced her back over the silk shawl she wore. Felt him close to her. She loved every minute of it. With his arm around her waist, he made her fell light as a feather as they glided. His touch was so light, gentle and romantic. Also something most people who meet the Wolverine wouldn't believe.

No matter how much or how long they talked, they always find something new to say and kept on talking for hours on end. Talking and dancing she couldn't get enough of it. Finally it was time to go home. He realized she had drunk a bit too much as she tried to stand up but Logan was there to give her support and eyed her with an I-told-you-so look but she just giggled.

While waiting for the valet to get the car she thanked him. He'd tried so hard to make it perfect. She knew he felt a bit uncomfortable in the penguin suit and being stuck in such a formal setting, but he tried so hard for her...he did it all for her. She felt so special it made her want to cry, a good cry though.

"Thank you, Logan." She smiled and gave him a hug. He took her hand and placed a lingering kiss upon the palm. She felt his warm lips and soft fingers even through the fabric.

"Tonight was unbelievable," she added.

"Yeah, it was great." Logan smiled at her. He felt wonderful inside that she had fun and enjoyed it. "But it wasn't perfect."

"What?" he was startled. What had he messed up on now? "What was wrong with it?"

"Oh... Nothing! But I think I could go for a dark cigar-filled smoky room, cheap beer, and a game of pool. How bout you?"

She realized that statement was taken by him the wrong way, as if he'd messed up. That wasn't possible, Rogue thought. She saw he was uncomfortable tonight and she wanted him to be happy too. She was thoughtful.

"Not if you don't want to go? This is your night," he asked. This was her night, not his.

"I do." She eyed him with those big brown orbs and batted her eyelashes.

"Sounds like a plan, miss." He smiled and kissed her hand again. She then unbuttoned his jacked, removed the tie, undid a few shirt buttons and scruffed up his hair.

"How does that feel?"

"Better." He grinned.

The car finally pulled up and they were off again into the night.



As they entered the bar everyone stared. Logan just drew Marie closer to him, staking his claim. It wasn't everyday a guy in tux and a lady in a formal dress came into the bar. Logan grabbed a beer and Pepsi for Marie. She didn't need any more to drink that night. He lit up a cigar and they went back to play a game or two of pool. Rogue had a blast. They danced to the slow country tunes on the old jukebox and even ordered up a huge plate of greasy fries. Rogue could see how much more comfortable he was. She wanted him to be happy and she knew he was.



Finally at about three or four am Rogue was exhausted and Logan took her home. They walked a bit in the garden and Logan stopped her and looked into her eyes. Rogue felt the mood get very serious but didn't fight it. She looked back into his eyes. She did know what he wanted from her. He smiled and looked at the lady before him. She knew him better then he did himself. You can hide things from yourself, that you deny, but others will see. You just choose not to believe them.

"Close your eyes, " he said sweetly.

"Why?"

"I want to kiss you," he blurted out. He didn't know if this is where Marie wanted their relationship to go but he had to know. He thought it was, he cared about her. He wanted to give her everything, even himself.

Her mood changed in an instant. She became scared, frightened and took a step back. "You can't." She didn't want to hurt him, or herself. She shook her head no.

"Trust me," was all he said.

She looked at him. He cared, he wouldn't hurt her. She did trust him.

He stepped closer; she gulped and closed her eyes, slightly shaking.

Logan went over to a rose bush and removed a petal. He placed it first on his own lips then on hers. She flinched back at first contact then realized it wasn't his skin touching her and relaxed. He grazed the rose petal over her top lip and then the bottom. Soft and smooth. Rogue loved the sensation that went though her body with his soft touch of something, a rose petal by what she could smell. It was beautiful. He moved the petal from her lips to her check, softly grazing to her ear. Her head following his, not wanting the feeling to go away. He then slid the petal along her chin and back to her lips. He then repeated that motion with the other side. Finally returning to her lips he removed the petal and placed it on his own. He noticed a single tear fall from Rogues eyes.

She didn't want to open her eyes; she wanted the feeling back again. It was wonderful and didn't know how he could do that to her. He finally looked at her and her eyes.

"Happy birthday, Marie."

"Thank you," she whispered and gave him a hug she didn't want to leave, warm in the cool night air. It was the perfect end to a perfect night.

She reached her door and heard the whispers. Katherine and Jubilee waited up to hear the gossip. Well, she was a lady -- she'd never kiss and tell.

Tonight Logan had given her something special; he'd helped ease the memories away even more of her last kisses and touches with Shadow. They would never go away but made her feel that touch wouldn't be all that bad...especially if it came from Logan.
This story archived at http://wolverineandrogue.com/wrfa/viewstory.php?sid=3058