Alive by Peachy
Summary: Finally the X-Men confront Magneto.
Categories: X1 Characters: None
Genres: Action
Tags: None
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: Seasons Change
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 4659 Read: 1634 Published: 11/02/2008 Updated: 11/02/2008

1. Alive by Peachy

Alive by Peachy
Finally after a few weeks of watching the police had to trim back on their already limited resources. Xavier even had to narrow their own monitoring efforts down to the most likely targets. He knew Magneto was just waiting for the opportunity for them to drop their guard and then make his move. He didn't want to give Erik the slightest chance. He wasn't sure even how Magneto planned to carry out his objectives or if he was even capable of such things.

The police did random drive-bys but that was it. Many of the business executives also got upset over the ordeal. Nothing had happened so far and they thought nothing ever would. It was a waste of the money that they put towards security, and the police and Xavier made them worry and fear for nothing.



One weekend Gambit finally got the courage to take Felix's advise and asked Jubilee out on a real date. Just him and her. She just giggled when he finally asked and it made him feel really stupid. He got embarrassed and turned to walk away when she stopped him.

"Wait, I'm sorry."

"For bashing in my feelings?"

"Yes...and...I'd love to."

"Really?" His eyes perked up from thinking he didn't stand a chance with her.

"I just wondered why you didn't ask me sooner." Jubilee smiled and took Gambit's hand as they walked outside to join the rest of the group for basketball.



Later that night Gambit was allowed to borrow the old beat-up student test-drive Saturn car and drove Jubilee out to this restaurant then a movie. Finally they'd hit an arcade to play games all night. They both loved arcades and computer games of the sort. The best place to go was in this more ritzy area of town outside the city.

When they drove by, Jubilee was just looking at all the gorgeous houses when a large shadow moved in the background. She would have thought nothing of it, but it looked like it was carrying a dead body in a
satchel. Not a common sight for this area but maybe...

"Ghetto LA!" Jubilee shouted.

Then Jubilee instructed Gambit to pull over and they snooped out what was going on. These two are just a combination of trouble and putting them together is like a powder keg waiting for the right match...

They finally got close enough to make out the big hairy man -- Sabretooth. He didn't exactly fit in around here.
They didn't know what to do so ran back to the car to call Jean on the cell phone.



"What?!" Jean was surprised and shocked. Apparently Magneto was making his first move now. "Listen, I want you to stay right there and don't move. Don't let them see you! Got it?"

"Yeah," Jubilee replied.

"We'll be right there," she assured the two.

"We'll be waiting."

Jean hung up and called in everyone to the meeting room. By the time everyone showed up Jean was fussing over piles of addresses and maps.

"We haven't much time to waste here." Scott took over the meeting.

"What's going on?" Logan questioned.

"Gambit and Jubilee spotted Sabretooth and some other guys in the Manhasset area. Stuck out like a sore thumb. My guess is Magneto is making his first move. There are five people on this list that live in that neighborhood," Jean explained.

"I suggest we suit up and find out what they are up to, now," Scott added.

The rest agreed. They couldn't just sit here and let Magneto's plan go into action.

"You guys up to it?" Scott looks at Bobby, Rogue, and St. John as they went off to suit up. He got three resonant yeses.

The plane took off as Xavier prayed for their safe return. The younger kids, always fascinated by the X-Men ran to the window and saw the plane roar off into the sky above.

As they flew Logan sat next to Rogue near the back. She had her head down and hands shaking, rubbing them to hide it. He saw and leaned over to talk to her. "Are you sure you're okay?"

"Yeah, just nervous I guess. I just hope Gambit and Jubes are okay."

"They are. I've got your back, you know -- don't worry." He gave her his hand and she took it, smiling.

She gazed at her hand. It was so small in his. He had been there for her for every nightmare; getting over Shadow would have been impossible but his arms and knowing he was there, checking up on her while she slept (she caught him one night) was reassuring. She felt stronger knowing he was right beside her. Strength filled her and she was determined not to let Magneto use other people like he tried to use her.

"Let's kick some ass!" Marie said loud enough for everyone to hear.



"Where are you going?" Jubilee shouted.

"To follow them, we can't let 'em get out of our sights."

"Jean said to stay here."

"Stay here and we lose them. Then what? We've got nothing. Bring the phone with us. We can keep in touch that way."

Jubilee looked very doubtful. "I don't like this!"

"We'll stay back far enough not to be spotted," Gambit tried to reassure her.

"Just stay downwind of beastman, then I'll agree."

"Sure, let's go before we loose them."

The two slithered from house to house until they came upon the two strangers and watched. Sabretooth was there with Vamp. They had this guy wrapped in a blanket of sorts, flung over his shoulder. They stopped in these woods out back and dumped the guy. He was still alive, gagged and tied up. Vamp went over and drained him of all his memories. Good thing he was gagged or else his screams would have been heard. Finally he slumped over limp.



"My, my... Mr. Karringer, you were a bad boy. No wonder your wife left you." Vamp smiled at the memories he'd share with the new Paul Karringer.

"Now what do we do with him?" Sabretooth growled.

"I don't care. Bury him."

"He's still alive."

"So break his neck, just get rid of the body."

And Sabretooth took the man, who wiggled in his arms like a worm before you put it on the fishing hook, and crushed his neck.



Jubilee couldn't watch but at that moment she could hear the bone break and she almost screamed but Gambit covered her mouth. They stood there not able to do nothing but watch.

Jubilee couldn't believe what those goons just had done -- she'd seen someone get killed and she could do nothing. She started to cry silently as her eyes watered.

Gambit was sick to his stomach at the site. He was furious. He couldn't believe they'd take a life so easily without second though.

They both knew they couldn't have done anything and they were no match for these two but...they should have been able to do something!



Sabretooth buried the body and they went off on their way to a sport utility vehicle parked on the side of the road. They got in and sped off.

Gambit and Jubilee had to drive to follow them but stayed back, not being obvious. He handed the phone to Jubilee who got in touch with Storm. She took it, hands just as shaky as her voice.

"Where are you guys?" Jubilee asked very impatiently.

"We're almost there. Are you two all right?"

"Yes but we were following them, they killed this man..." Jubilee then started to ramble on and on "...the big hairy guy just crushed his other guy's neck and buried him like he was nothing, just a rag doll instead of a human being and then they took off and were following them, I don't want them to see us -- Gambit, slow down! I don't know where they're going."

"It will be okay. Jubilee, take a deep breath and try to relax. It wasn't your fault. You couldn't have done anything, okay?"

It made her feel better knowing Storm didn't think they did anything wrong.

"Just be careful and don't get caught, you two -- you hear me? Stay back."

"Trust me, we will."

"I'll call you back shortly." And Storm hung up.

"Well?" Gambit wanted to know.

"We're on our own for now."

"Great." They weren't exactly excited about this.



"What happened?" Jean shouted like a concerned mother.

"They're fine, relax." Storm tried to calm her fears.

Jean turned to Xavier who was back at the mansion. She sent him a message to see if he could follow them via Cerebro and let her know where they are. Rogue eyed over at St. John and Bobby. They were worried for their friends.

Storm explained what Jubilee had told her so far. Scott was getting furious. He wanted to land and end this for once.

Finally Xavier replied and they changed direction to follow Jubilee and Gambit. They were headed towards Massachusetts.

"Whoa...what do we have here???"

Scott picked up a signal on their radar. A helicopter -- it was them. Jean felt it. Scott had to hold back. He locked on to that signal and set down near the abandoned airstrip the helicopter took off from to pick up their two cloak-and-dagger spies and they were off again.

Rogue gave then each a hug, thankful they were okay. Jubilee had calmed down a great deal and Gambit held her hand as they flew following the signal.



The X-Men arrived off the coat of Massachusetts and set down. The youngsters were in the back and Scott and Felix led the way.

"Ssssssshhhhhh!" And they all ducked down as the group reached what they believed to be Magneto's hideout. There were Sabretooth and Vamp shutting down the helicopter and moving towards another building that seemed to jut out from the cliff dwelling below. They were greeted by Mystique, Toad, and Plasma coming out of the complex.

"So what's our move, Buck Rogers?" Logan turned to Scott, claws ready for a fight.



Inside Erik had been expecting them and discovered they were back as he heard the chopper land.

"There are others," Karringer, his clone creation, responded. He used his telepathy and found one or two more minds beside their two expected arrivals. If there were others with them, they blocked him from seeing them.

"Others?"

"Several."

Erik felt it could only be one thing: the X-Men. The idiots had messed this up and led them here. Erik didn't know how but there was nothing he could do now. It was time to finally end this game once and for all.

He promptly sent out Mystique, Toad, and Plasma to join them. Karringer followed as well. He would not let Xavier stop him this time.



"We should split up. Myself, Jean, Logan, Rogue, and Bobby will follow them inside -- the rest of you, check out the rest of the compound and secure the parameter."

Unfortunately there was no time to implement this plan of his.

"We've been caught," Logan stated.

"What are you talking about?"

"I don't think the welcome wagon just walked out that door."

"Logan's right," Felix said.

As Parks uttered the words Plasma turned in their general direction and plasma shots were fired and all hell broke loose.



Plasma and Bobby got into a rumble and Plasma flared up heat and fired towards him.

Bobby retaliated with frozen ice, blocking many attempts by Plasma to literally melt him. He was not quick enough once and a heat blast hit Bobby on his wrist, melting his watch into his skin. He cried out in pain but didn't stop, focusing on the enemy at hand. He froze his hand to numb the pain. First it was a shock but then the pain dulled and went away. Finally after a few hits and misses he got in one ice blast to Plasma's arm in retaliation and the guy ran off.



Toad slithered into the trees for better hiding coverage and advantage.

Felix and St. John would have none of that and followed him. Felix used his stretching arms to swing himself into the trees and to follow Toad, avoiding the slime that was spit at him. St. John, on the other hand, tried one or two of his own fireballs to knock him out of the trees. Didn't work and almost got Felix in the mix.

Finally, with a swift kick, Toad flew to the grounds and St. John hit him and gave Toad a burn mark he wouldn't forget.

Unfortunately, St. John didn't see the slime come and hit him square in the face, blocking off all air. Toad ran off and Felix grabbed a knife from his belt to help St. John breathe.



Logan dealt with the oversized gorilla called Sabretooth. He hated this guy. They were equals in strength and animal reflexes and moves. He had it in for him and they went at it. Both getting in one or two big slices. Logan healed and Sabretooth as well. Logan didn't know if there would ever be an end to this fight or if either one could really gain the upper hand. Their fists kept on flying at each other.

Finally he smelled it. So faint in the sweat, blood and just plain body odor of Sabretooth, but as Logan was flung against a wall he smelled it, faintly. Shadow. Since they got here he had been looking for it and hunting it out. He wanted revenge for what he did to Marie. He wouldn't live if Logan had his way.

He got in one more good bout with Sabretooth knocking him down with a gash or two that hopefully take a while to heal and turned to find his new prey. He wanted Sabretooth dead but it would have to wait -- Shadow was his.



Rogue was flow back from a force she couldn't see right into a tree. As she was getting up a shape transformed before her, leaving her paralyzed. It was Shadow, the man who'd attacked her. Her body wouldn't move as he approached her. She tried to hit him, scream, run, anything. Instead she was frozen.

He smiled at her docile reaction to him, the power he held over her, and ran his hand through her white streaks. "Miss me?"

She felt him on her face and felt his breath on her ear and neck. All her fear returned covering her body again, she couldn't breathe...and in her mind he was all over her.

She closed her eyes, holding back tears, then felt a stinging pain as his protected hand flung across her face and then a knee in her stomach and then thrown to the ground. She took another kick and wasn't able to get up. She stared at him and he hit her again.

He just watched as she tried to get to her knees to crawl away. He studied her in her leather suit, eyes on her ass.

"I like it when they're on their knees." He then laughed. Rogue thought she was going to be sick. "This is so easy." He grinned and kicked her again.

She staggered and finally something SNAPPED! She gained control. She felt anger, fear, and terror and hate flow through her. She was not longer scared. She wouldn't take this from him any more. No one was there to fight for her, help her...if she wanted to win she'd have to do this on her own. This was her fight; no one could help her but herself.

She let him get close and swung her leg around and kicking him, hitting him in the groin, her intended target. She turned and kicked again, knocking him down. Finally she gained the upper hand in this fight. She used her flight ability and hours of training in fighting. She used every ounce of practice and energy she had against him and was winning. Finally he was down and she stood back watching him.

"More?" she asked in a grin.

He got furious and attacked. He wouldn't take this from that... "Bitch!"

Now they were both taking blows and blocking. Rogue saw out of the corner of her eye a figure behind Shadow. She smiled and gave one more kick, sending the man into Logan -- who finally sunk his claws in deep. Shadow could only do one thing at feeling the pain: gasping for air and seeing Logan's eyes ready to kill, he dissipated back into air and fled before he was too weak. He was bleeding badly but he wouldn't die, if he got help.

Logan was satisfied to get his claws in even if he'd vaporized and fled. He wished he could have done more damage but look already like Rogue did enough. He went over to a half-beaten Rogue.

"You okay?" He held her head in his hand and supported her weight as she faltered a bit on her feet.

"Yeah." She smiled at the warm eyes that cared about her. "Come on -- we got other fish to fry."

And a scream was heard from Jean.



Sabretooth shook off Logan's attack and tried to follow him. He ran into Storm and Gambit, and ripped the two apart.

Gambit flared his cards at the beast but he dodged them or shook them off too quickly.

Jubilee came in and got a one-two punch with her fireworks. Those stung a lot more.

Storm, on the other hand, flew up and was brewing up some lighting for her strikes.

Finally Sabretooth flung at Jubilee, flying her over twenty feet into a tree -- she screamed as her shoulder popped and became dislocated. Gambit attacked in retaliation and Storm flared in a lightning bolt or two, sending the big bully flying back himself. Eventually he ran off.

Gambit rushed to Jubilee's side, trying to dull or lessen the pain; her shoulder looked completely messed up and she was in pain. He could see it in her face even though she didn't scream or say a word. She wasn't moving a muscle. He was able to calm her and went to find Jean to help.



Storm found Toad and sent high winds to knock him out of the trees, which he returned to for camouflage. Finally he was blown back by St. John's fireball and he ran again.



Scott and Jean had to deal with Mystique's fighting skills and Karringer's super strength. They were getting their asses kicked in this fight. Karringer was too strong for either of them.

Jean used her telekinesis to control his movements but he retaliated by screaming into her mind and she couldn't block it. It was excruciating. He got in one or two hits, pulverizing her.

Then Scott raged out at him only to be stopped by Mystique. She took Jean's shape. Scott knew it was Mystique but still found it difficult to lash out a face that he loved. Wolverine, on the other hand, would have no problems with it.

Logan came in after he heard Jean's scream as she was thrown into metal wall and skidded onto a gravel road. Logan lashed out and matched Karringer's blows and got in one or two strikes.

Rogue gave Scott a break and took over where he left off with Mystique. Mystique just grinned and licked her lips. Rogue's body ached and took another beating. She spit up blood as another fist hit her in the face.

Mystique was good; even though Rogue was able to fly and maneuver, she wasn't quite as flexible and limber as Mystique. Then she lashed out at Rogue again, taking Logan's body shape and claws. Rogue had to dodge the new claws that slashed out at her.

Finally Mystique pinned her down. She couldn't fly away or move very much at all. She was trapped. The only thing she could do was touch Mystique. She was scared -- she knew how it felt, the pain and having to deal with the forced influx of memories and emotions. She didn't think she could take it. Her throat was being crushed and she couldn't breathe. She had no other choice. She pushed her glove off and grabbed on to Mystique.



Logan was at wits' end and then finally caught a break, catching the clone off guard and driving in two jabs with his claws into Karringer's stomach and chest. That should have stopped him but with super strength his adrenaline was pumping.

Logan looked up as he kept coming. Scott blasted him with full force, square in the chest, and the clone fell dead. Cyclops and Wolverine exchanged glances, no words. A mutual thanks.



Rogue felt pain surge through her body and Mystique screamed. They both fell to the ground and Rogue's body too weak to control the new mutation she transformed into Mystique. She looked down at her blue skin and was stunned. She changed back to her self and back into Mystique again. Changes were more painful then anyone knew. Your body restructuring itself, molecules ripping apart and slamming back together again. How did Mystique make it look so easy and painless? Her body changed again and she screamed.

Mystique was drained of her energy and lay nearly lifeless but had the help of Toad -- he got her out of there in a hurry.



Logan ran to the screams of Marie. He saw her and then Mystique and then Kelly, Storm and himself with claws lashing out and Bobby and Mystique and finally Rogue returned. She laid on the floor crumpled up, still screaming.

He didn't know what to do. "Jean!"

It ended finally and she was just herself, her body so worn out. She let the blackness overtake her body and retreated inward, safe in Logan's arms, and she collapsed.



Bobby and St. John saw Vamp and Plasma flee inside the building and they followed with Storm and Felix. There were so many twists and turns inside this lab they weren't sure where to go, so they split up -- Bobby and Felix in one direction and Storm and St. John in the other.

Felix and Bobby entered into a research lab area and found Vamp and Plasma as fire shots rang by their face. Bobby's arm still stung and he knew didn't want any more. He flared his ice mutation to freeze what was in front of them. Plasma got out of the way but Vamp was just one step too slow. He was stung dead-on with ice, freezing his chest down to the core of his heart, stopping him cold -- he crumpled to the ground, dead. Plasma ran from the room.

Bobby was too shocked to follow. He killed a man. Didn't know how he felt about it. Didn't like it but had no choice. Felt his own insides go numb with disbelief that the man on the ground was his fault.

Felix came down and placed a reassuring hand on his shoulder. "There was nothing else you could have done."

"I know, but it shouldn't have been."

"I know," was Felix's reply.



Storm and St. John found Magneto fleeing his new home and his look was pure rage and anger. His hands flew up and sent Storm and St. John flying; pinned to the wall, trapped by metal. He moved up to Storm and glared at her.

"Tell Xavier he can't stop me. And that hope is truly gone especially if mutants can never unite together. I feel sorry for his illusions." He then turned and walked out.

He got away.



Finally dust settled and Scott and Jean went inside with the rest. Jean sensed that Magneto and the rest had all fled the scene. They found Storm and St. John, still clinging to the wall, with Bobby and Felix, who couldn't do anything to get them free. Logan entered the room and could barely move, so he left with the help of Felix. Scott set them free with his eyes, cutting away the restraints.



They came upon the lab and two more clones seemed to almost be ready. St. John was going to blast them but Bobby stepped in.

"They are human beings and deserve to live. They don't know who created them but they aren't evil."

"Magneto hasn't taught them to hate or twisted them to his idea of reality," Storm added.

Jean agreed. "Let them live."



The flight back was short and wounds needed addressing. No one but Logan came home unmarked.

Jubilee's shoulder was popped back into place with a loud scream. Gambit's scratched, black-and-blue face would heal.

Bobby was still jittery over the idea he'd taken a life. Jean sat and talked with him about what happened. He felt better; she eased his mind and took away fear but he understood what happened. He was given no choice but he should always carry this sadness and regret; that is what makes one better then another who finds it so easy to kill.

Scott had a busted nose from one of Mystique's kicks. Rogue had bruised ribs, a split lip, and a battered face that matched a few other team members, plus a concussion and a lot to deal with inside. She'd conquered her fear of Shadow, but Mystique had left a mark when she'd taken in her memories. She saw the comparison with Erik's life and what drew her to him. It was scary how many lives out there could fit that profile...and how his group could grow.

Her body was still passed out on the ride home, safe in arms she loved. After arriving home, he carried her down to the med lab with everyone else to be checked out.

The next day Rogue finally came out, with Jean's permission. She was starving and ate something, then went to find Logan. Jean told her he'd been with her all night until she'd forced him to go to bed himself and rest, despite being such a fast healer.

Rogue wanted to talk to someone and he was always there to listen; she wanted to tell him about Shadow and her overcoming her fear and about Mystique, plus all the emotional baggage that came with the woman. She had stories Rogue knew would keep her up at night. Talking about them helped.

Logan sat and listened to every word. He held her and called her the bravest, most kick-ass girl he'd ever known. She smiled and they finally went down to eat dinner. She ate everything on her plate despite having eaten just two hours ago.

Logan knew after this they needed to get into the Danger Room this summer and get practicing. Magneto was still out there and part of his horde was alive and ticking. Alive...at least they all came home alive. Bruises heal. Cuts heal.

Jubilee hated her cast but she got everyone to sign it and draw on it. St. John's prediction about Bobby's watch had come true from New Year's. That sent Katherine into hysterics. Scott was forced to listen to her ramble in paranoia about New Year's predictions St. John had told about her having some horrible accident. Scott forced St. John to say a thousand times it wasn't true, all just made up off the top of his head. She still wouldn't believe it.

Scott was glad over the outcome. Oh, sure, things could have gone better, but everyone had held their own. As a leader he was proud of them. Magneto had gotten away and so had a few others but they'd stopped him. Stopped him before any more people had to die for his mixed-up cause.

Scott's team, all of them, had made it home alive. He feared the day one wouldn't return. As leader and mentor, that was the only thing that could give him nightmares. But for now, they were all alive and well...
This story archived at http://wolverineandrogue.com/wrfa/viewstory.php?sid=3056