Discovery by Peachy
Summary: The X-Men discover Magneto's plan and move into action to stop him.
Categories: X1 Characters: None
Genres: Drama
Tags: None
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: Seasons Change
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 3883 Read: 1749 Published: 11/02/2008 Updated: 11/02/2008

1. Discovery by Peachy

Discovery by Peachy
"I can't get it!" Vamp cried. "There are pieces missing. I need to find someone who's done more research with mutant gene work. I've researched and I can't find what I need in any of these stupid books."

A pause as Erik knew what he was going to ask for.

"Fine, I'll see who I can find." Magneto went and came back about an hour later into the lab. He searched through journals to find a man Vamp could use to finish this project of his.

The tubes were done and in their testing phases on animals first to see if the rapid cloning process would be successful. So far it had sped up the process but not without its own mutation problems that had to be eliminated and reconfigured. As for the DNA portion, that was the last piece. Erik would get Vamp what he wanted.

"I think I've found your man: one Dr. Jerrid Tomphmore." He threw the bio folder down in front of Vamp and looked over the research materials. He would know how to put that missing link together.

"I think this could work." Vamp looked up with a smile. "You get me this man, you'll get your mutant
clones."

"Wonderful." Erik turned to Mystique. "I've got another project for you, my dear."

Her eyes lit up with excitement. She loved to go human hunting.



"Jean, would you like to go with me tomorrow to an international mutant issue conference tomorrow?" Xavier had to go. He was giving a presentation about the ethics and political consequences of mutant segregation and the rise in ethnocentrism in the world against mutants.

This would be a highlight for Jean and she loved to hear the professor speak. He has taught her so much, she wanted to be able to make the impact he did on other people. She was fond of these conferences because one could reach a lot of influential people. Politics was just too slow a process sometimes. She
accepted Xavier's offer.

"Can I see if Rogue would like to go? I know she's been very interested in these events in the past and maybe she could attend some of the lecture speakers. Learn something new."

Xavier found no problems with that idea. He thought it would be wonderful. Maybe it would give Rogue an area of interest for her future. She had so much potential to do great things, despite the fact that her mutant gift was just too powerful to control.



Jean went off to go find her. She would love to have company, tomorrow. She never spent as much quality time with Rogue as she'd like to. Hopefully she didn't already have plans.

Rogue was eating a late lunch in the dinning hall with Logan and both were getting along well. Chatting it up and laughing like old friends. She came up on a conversation where they were finishing each other's sentences, to a certain point. She smiled and sat down next to Rogue.

"Afternoon, Jean." Logan smiled.

"Hey guys." She stole a couple of fries from Logan's plate. "I just popped by to let you know Rogue that I have an invitation for you if you want it."

"To what?"

Logan sat by listening, always interested in every aspect of Marie's life.

"There's a political conference being held in downtown New York tomorrow at the Mariott Marque Hotel if you'd like to join the professor and me. I know you're interested in that sort of thing."

Logan looked a bit surprised. "You turning politician on me?" He glared. "You haven't told me everything yet, I see."

She just smiled. Marie thought about it a moment and decided it could be fun but then she realized she would be with a lot of people. She was different and people would see that. What would they think? Would there be lots of mutants there?

"I...I don't know..." Her voice was hesitant. Jean knew why she was worried. She tried to calm those fears.

"It will be a great opportunity to meet some wonderful people in support of our cause. There will be some that don't but those are the people we are trying to reach out and change. You will have a wonderful time, I guarantee it. I can introduce you to some top people, maybe future connections for a job even."

"You and the professor will be there, right?" She was reaching for support of some kind to drive her forward.

"Yeah, we'll be there with you if you need anything. Why don't you think it over and let me know later on, okay?"

"Okay." She smiled as Jean walked off.

"Sounds utterly boring to me but if you are even the slightest bit interested you should go. Get away from this place for a nice day out."

"I don't know...I guess."

Logan leaned in and took her hand. "Look at me, Marie: nothing will happen. Okay? You will go, listen, talk, meet, knew people, and you will be fine. Besides, you can't leave Jean to do all this by herself -- she needs help. Apparently she sees something in you."

"But my hair?" The purple was almost gone but it was a soft frost purple now, same with Storm's. It took a while for any color to come out of white hair.

"You look beautiful to me. I wouldn't change a thing."

Rogue smiled. He could always make her feel better. Jean did trust her and believe in her. It would be fun. She shoved any fear aside and committed to the event.

"I'll go." Rogue finished up, leaving her dishes for Logan to do...absently-mindedly, of course. She ran off to tell Jean.

As she was walking back to her room Rogue couldn't help but think about being like Jean. Standing up in front of people giving lecture and speeches. How could she do it? That wasn't exactly her style. Jean was so smart and perfect. Rogue could never be exactly like her. She admired her a great deal, a person she looked up to.

Fighting wasn't exactly her thing as well. She knew how but the idea of having to be in a real situation and use it against other mutants like Magneto's horde scared her. What if something happened or she did the wrong thing? As Logan said once, the slightest mistake and then...no, she wouldn't think about that. Then she remembered she'd never really be alone. The other X-Men would be there as well...she hoped, anyway.



Later that night during a game of foosball in the rec room, the gang thought about going mini-golfing tomorrow. They were bored and wanted to go out.

"What do you think? It's supposed to be nice and I don't want to be here tomorrow. I want to get out!"

Bobby came up behind Katherine and put his arms around her waist and gave her a hug from behind. "Sounds like a fun plan to me. Guys?"

"Sure." The rest mumbled around.

"Rogue?"

"Sorry, I'm going with Professor Grey and Xavier tomorrow to a New York City conference. I have to be up by six am!"

"Ouch." Gambit. "Sorry about that, chere."

"New York City! That's cool," Jubilee said. She got more sarcastic in her next statement: "Wish I could go with you."

"Ugh, political conference. A bunch of yaps chatting it up sippin' tea," Katherine added.

"Knock it off! I am kind of interested in going," Rogue protested.

Jubilee gave a yawn and rolled her eyes but Bobby smacked her arm for it. St. John came in with a bunch of cookies for everyone.

"What to go mini golfing tomorrow?" Bobby asked.

"Sure."

"I won't be there."

"Yes!" was St. John's reply. "That means I can finally get to have the BLUE golf ball! Victory...is...mine." He chuckled an evil laugh which just made them all crack up.



Finally the gala event. Rogue wore a nice suit fitting her gloves and a scarf. She looked professional and cute to Logan, who stood watching her fidget in the mirror.

"You look political and professional -- now don't keep Jean waiting. Tell me every boring detail when you get back."

She punched his arm. "It will be fun."

He gave her a hug and she had to fix her clothes back up. "Sorry," he said jokingly holding his hands up in the air.

She just ignored him.

"Bye!" she yelled and ran down the hall to the garage. They took a fancy luxury car and Rogue got the back seat of course. Driving in to the city was terrible. She was glad she'd never have to do it. The train was much safer and less stressful.

The conference was at this fancy hotel downtown; valet parking, glass elevators, chandeliers, and right next to Central Park. Spare no expense. Rogue was in awe; she'd never have enough to stay at a place like this. Heck, she never had been any place this glamorous. She felt very under-dressed as it was in her outfit anyway.

When she first got out of the car a man extended his hand. She was hesitant at first but remembered her gloves worked fine in protecting her. She accepted and he helped her out of the car. It was kind of nice, made her feel special. He escorted her out of the car and shut the door behind her.

They entered and registered for the seminars. Jean told Rogue to go look around and gave her some money for lunch and a drink. It was wonderful. She went into the bar area and got a Coke before the first seminar. Already the piano was being played as everyone was chattering up the convention.

She also wore her cheesy name tag. She left her last name blank and just put...what, Rogue? Marie? Jean just eyed her and told her to put her real name down. So Marie she was for the day. It didn't even sound elegant enough for this place or professional. Everyone else had doctor, executive, CEO, Representative, President, Vice President, council member, etc. There were local and international people all over. She heard several different languages being spoken as well.

She overheard conversations about mutant rights and legislation pending for dangerous mutants in violation of the law and all other sorts of chat as she roamed around. She tried very hard to avoid touching anything or anyone. Jean got her a thin silk shawl to wear around her head, since that made Rogue feel a lot more comfortable. It covered her violent strands of hair as well. Overall the shawl looked stylish too and didn't seem weird or out of the ordinary. She sat in the back, not very bold to make the first move onto the crowds with her questions and opinions.

Conferences were interesting. She learned a lot about what was happening to mutants around the world. She learned about different organizations and programs created to help mutants and learned what several non-mutant people were doing to help as well. There was also the stabs from those who opposed mutants. Later on she listened to Xavier speak but then they all went to listen to one gentleman, a very strong anti-mutant lobbyist for the Congress that came today to give his testimony. You could almost say he took over where Senator Kelly left off.

Finally he said something that just set Rogue off and angered her. "How, if not with laws and regulations, can we know whom out there is a threat? How can we insure safety? What is to stop these mutants from such acts of violence with their powers? What stops them?"

He listed off a report of known mutant offenders and their powers. "These people are kind of people out there."

Rogue could take no more. "Excuse me!" she said loudly enough to be heard but very diplomatically. Her standing up shocked everyone, including Jean and Xavier.

"Excuse me," Rogue said again as the lobbyist kept on talking. Finally he turned to face the young woman addressing him.

"Yes, young lady?" he politely addressed her.

"You said what is to stop mutants from using their powers from hurting others. The question I pose to you, sir, is what stops you?"

He looked confused. He wasn't a mutant. "What do you mean?"

"The question is straight-forward, sir: what stops you?"

"I'm not a mutant with any sort of destructive power."

"So...? What stops you from...taking that pen and shoving into someone? What stops you from ramming the car in front of you that's not going fast enough? What stops you from hitting someone when you get mad, sir? What stops you from taking someone's wallet or money if it is lying right there next to you? So I ask again...what stops you?"

He was stunned and shocked. He didn't know how to reply or know what exactly this young woman was trying to get at but make him look foolish. "That has nothing to do with what I am saying."

"No it has everything to do with it. I know what stops you, sir. It stops most people: you, me, this man and that woman. Ethics. People learn what is right and what is wrong. What to do and what not to do. You don't think parents teach that to their kids? Mutation comes when you're more grown -- those values are already instilled in you."

"Is that so. What about these...?" He holds up the list of troubled mutants.

She interrupts him with "I say what about Ted Bundy, Hitler, Lee Harvey Oswald, Stalin, Al Capone, Milosevic..." And she went on and on with several other names as well. All humans, non-mutants, and all criminals.

He was at a loss of what to say. Rogue sat down and from then on he just contradicted himself and no one paid any attention to him. Jean and Xavier both smiled at each other and were proud of Rogue.

Finally at the end of the conference, there was a mix-and-mingle where everyone was talking about Rogue's retaliation and talking to her. She made logical sense. She felt so much more at ease as she talked with people and really interacted, sharing her views. Jean was proud of her like a mother at her daughter's graduation or big-game day.



During the mix-and-mingle Jean went up to the bar to get a drink and saw her. It was the woman in red with blonde hair again, from the News Year's party. She couldn't forget this woman. She was roaming the crowd, looking for something or someone, and then Jean saw it. Her eyes turned yellow and back to green. Mystique. She thought it might be another mutant but not likely.

Jean didn't want to lose her and sent a mental note out to Xavier. Jean followed until Mystique finally found her target apparently. She introduced herself to a Dr....something. She couldn't see the name tag very well. What was going on? She just talked to the man and whispered into his ear. Finally it looked like they were going to leave the party so Jean followed and Rogue followed her.

"Where are you going?" Rogue asked intrigued.

"Ssshhh," she whispered. "Get back inside Rogue and get Xavier. I found Mystique. I'm going to see what she's up to here. Stay inside!"

Rogue followed her directions...for about ten steps. Then she turned and followed Jean. Xavier went to get the car anyway after the mental message and called Scott.

Finally Mystique drugged the poor man by injecting him with something in his neck. He collapsed after a few seconds. She was carrying him in the back alley and there was another man waiting. Only two -- Jean had to try and stop them.

"What's he worth you two?" Jean didn't know who this other guy was or what power he possessed but he was not on her side. Mystique turned and saw Jean. She just smiled.

"I'd turn around and leave before we have to hurt you." She slithered the words from her mouth.

Mystique dropped off Vamp's cargo by his feet and she turned to take care of Jean. She ran towards her and Jean threw her back with her mind. Then she went after Vamp. Mystique was too quick and she got right up and in Jean's face. They got into quite a rumble.

Rogue came around the corner and saw Mystique throw Jean into a brick wall, knocking her out cold. She ran in to help. Business suit and all. Rogue knocked Mystique off of Jean. She used what she'd learned so far and decked her hard, plus a swift kick to the stomach. Her instincts took over and she had no time to be afraid or hesitant in her actions.

Rogue tried to stop Mystique but she was good. The girl had removed a glove and was willing to take this blue bitch down for good, despite the consequences, when Mystique got her in a lock she couldn't get out of. Mystique had Rogue's hands back and clear out of reach.

"I don't think so, sweetheart." Mystique slammed Rogue into a metal door and she went crashing down. Her movements were slow and vision blurred, trying so hard to get up. She saw the other mutant do something to the man and they ran off. Rogue slowly stood and staggered over to Jean. Finally she came to.

"What happened?" She had a splitting headache.

"They got away. You okay?"

Blood was running a bit from her head. "Nothing a few aspirin won't cure."

Rogue checked out the man on the ground, still drugged out. Xavier called an ambulance, and when the man finally awoke he didn't know anything, even who he was. The only clue was his name tag.

Jean and Rogue went to Xavier, and Jean mentally filled him in. It was quicker that way. Rogue hated it because they'd do this and not let her in on it anyway. She drove on the way back, battling the traffic she couldn't handle right now. Jean hit her head too hard to drive and Xavier couldn't either. "So, could somebody explain this to me!"

"I will, just we need to get home. I know what Magneto's doing now."



Upon arriving back to the mansion late, Scott was worried. Logan was as well. He had been pacing, hoping and praying for their safe return. Bobby and the rest were worried as well. Scott couldn't keep what had happened a secret from them. So they waited for their friends to return. When they came through the door both the women were half-strangled in loving embraces. Scott was even more fearful after pulling Jean away. He got a good look at her gash on her head. Both of their clothes had bloodstains.

"What happened?" Scott wanted to know every detail.

"Good things and bad," Xavier added in. Bad was Mystique but the good was Rogue's triumphant speech. They settled into the office and Shadow kept them company as always.

Scott fixed up Jean as she explained, "I saw Mystique. Do you remember that blonde woman at the New Year's party downtown."

"No."

Jean rolled her eyes. She wasn't even a guy and she remembered -- any man would. "Don't give me that. Blonde, about 5'8, red dress..."

"Her?! Yeah I remember her," he mumbled.

"Thought so."

"Holding out on us, One-Eye?" Logan grinned, never letting Rogue leave his side. She'd removed her suit coat and scarves, it was just too stuffy.

"That was Mystique. She was here too. She grabbed some poor guy and drugged him. There was another man there as well."

"You can add him to Magneto's gangster list," Storm added.

Rogue stepped in. "I saw him put his hands on him and then the man screamed. Mystique knocked him out again. I don't know what he did but he did something."

"After I woke up, the other guy, he couldn't remember anything. The man drained his mind..."

Scott followed suit on this, "...the same guy took Diana and the other scientist's memories."

"If he's got this mutant on his side now, who else?" Storm wondered.

Bobby and St. John were there, silent. "So Mystique disguised herself at that New Year's party, but why?" St. John asked.

"Everyone who was anyone was there -- the perfect place to go DNA-shopping."

"What?" Logan was confused.

"All it takes is a little blood, hair, or skin and you have DNA for cloning. She just found who she wanted and took a piece." Jean explained.

"Cloning? Won't that take a while?" Bobby asked.

"Yes."

"Unless he found away to speed it up?" Storm was worried.

So we get a guest list and track them down," Bobby said.

"All 300 people?! We can't watch that many," Scott added.

St. John had a revelation: "That party was at some big hotel, right? Video surveillance. They might still have the old feeds on tape. You find who she went up to and watch those fellows."

"That sounds like a great idea." Xavier believed St. John had something there. A good ray of hope to start with. "Scott, you and St. John check out the surveillance cameras at the hotel convention center. The rest of you start calling that list and see if anyone of them met or talked to Mystique that night. It's a long shot but let's go on that."

Xavier ordered them into work. They went out and got things going. Jean and Rogue changed then joined the crowd. Shadow stood ridge still. They knew; they'd figured it out. Magneto would not be pleased.

Shadow slithered out to inform Erik of the news and what they were up to. He needed a raise.



"Now that's something I'd want to see." St. John stood proud and tall over Rogue's success at the conference. Jubilee and Katherine couldn't believe that their quiet Rogue got into a public debate with a guy, literally shutting him up.

"You really told him off?" Gambit asked.

Rogue just blushed as they celebrated her victory. She thought they were making such a big deal about it. It was a bit embarrassing for Rogue.



Scott and St. John couldn't get a hold of the videotapes due to security reasons.

"Sorry, no can see them unless they own this conference hall or they have a court order."

No reasoning by Scott could make him change his mind. Time for the phone tree. Scott called Xavier and Xavier used his connections and made a few in turn. Finally the hotel's head of security got a call and they were approved to get the materials.

"I'll have to hunt for them in the storage area and then send you copies. It should take about a week or two. That's the fastest I could get them to you."

"Thank you very much," Scott replied.

As for the calling on the list, it was a futile attempt. Everyone sounded like a psycho on the phone -- the secretaries threatened to inform the police if they called again or just hung up on them.

In person, it would just take too long. All they could do was wait for the videotapes; hopefully, they'd have just what they needed to stop Magneto.
This story archived at http://wolverineandrogue.com/wrfa/viewstory.php?sid=3048