The Gift Of Giving by Peachy
Summary: Danger looms but the holidays bring out the best in everyone.
Categories: X1 Characters: None
Genres: Drama
Tags: None
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: Seasons Change
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 10983 Read: 1722 Published: 11/02/2008 Updated: 11/02/2008

1. The Gift Of Giving by Peachy

The Gift Of Giving by Peachy
Magneto sat in his cell and waited. He knew she'd come, so he waited. Day in and day out. She had played Senator Kelly rather well after his confinement to the plastic cell. He was proud of her, doing what he would have wanted, carrying on the cause. She politically defied the mutant registration act and went out to fully support equal rights for mutants. Too bad the senator was not re-elected. So now their cause went from the top to the bottom. Into the streets and corporations the war would now be fought and so those would be their next targets. He waited. She would come for him. It would be a very merry Christmas indeed.



Mystique gazed over the list before her. The plan was rather simple and she prided herself on it. She had Sabretooth still with her. Toad was off somewhere, if he was still alive. He never called.

Men! Mystique thought to herself. All she had to do now was find a few new mutants that would be perfect for the execution of the plan. Magneto would be set free and they shall try again to correct the ways of the world.

A little over two years had passed and she knew every day brought them closer to war. The national government was turning its head away from the new laws being created on state and local levels, segregating mutants and demeaning them. Her Erik would fix all that.

She finally found her new counterparts. Sabretooth would be there as usual for his brute strength and for the escape vehicle. He'd draw to much attention on the inside. Plasma was another choice. He was a man in his late 30's who could melt anything with the heat from his hands. He could easily melt the plastic and metal within the jail facility. Then came Shadow. He was a punk kid about 20, with a cute boyish smile. He would be an easy push over to their side. He could vaporize himself into a black mist, hiding in the dark or shadows, untouchable. It would be like fighting air. He could slide under the doors, fog over the cameras and easily sneak up on anyone. He would do just fine as well.

Mystique had to smile at her success. It was now time; he was waiting for her. It was time to fight again.



Over the next few weeks since Thanksgiving the mansion was in a frenzy. Holiday shopping, decorating again and finals. Some students were going home for the holidays while others, the runaways and family rejects that had been thrown out, stayed at the mansion with their new family and friends.

Rogue was one of those. Her family wanted little to do with her. After they found out about her, she refused to let them near her. She didn't want to hurt the two most important people in her life at the time. Then they grew away from her. As if no touch destroyed their love for her. She could hear them arguing about her. Mother wanting her to stay at first and father was angry at Rogue as if it was her fault she was a mutant. It didn't take much and even her mother began to let social pressures win her over. Her parents thought she was a detestable thing, an animal they just fed to keep alive, too much of a burden upon them.

Her parent's friends at the church thought that mutants were an abomination created by the devil. Being a Godly woman, her mother thought it best to have her child be away from her. Everything she did was wrong and against God, at least form her mother's view. Her parents agreed one night to throw her out with no money. So, she ran away before she had to look a their eyes as they kicked her out.

These were the same parents that, not a year earlier, loved her, kissed her, were proud of her. She didn't understand them. How could a family do such a thing to each other, especially their own child? She thought she'd known her parents -- she'd guessed so, so very wrong. She felt hurt when people at school treated her different, hurt and pain when her friends turned away, and then devastated that her own flesh-and-blood parents, who are suppose to love unconditionally, were repulsed by her.

One day it would change -- "mutant" wouldn't be a bad thing or a superior thing, just normal. All she wanted was to be treated like everyone else. Here at Xavier's school she was.

Others got packages or gift money from parents and relatives. Rogue knew none would ever come for her. She hadn't left home on the best of terms and her parents didn't care for the last two years to ever say hello, so why would they bother now.

Rogue was finishing up Scott's gift with Professor Xavier. She hoped he'd like it. She though it would be cool at least if it worked. She didn't know what to get Logan. What would a guy like him want for Christmas? She scanned through his thoughts a bit that were inside her head. Well she couldn't exactly give him Dr. Grey in a lacy black teddy. So that was out of the question. Rogue felt a bit depressed over that thought. Why couldn't she be Jean? She had it all together: the looks, the brains, the style, the men drooling after her. She'd like to have Logan look at her like that way at least once.

Jean seemed to carry herself so well, know so much and be...be...perfect. Unlike herself, Rogue thought. Oh, well maybe in the future some day a particular guy would raise an eye at her looks. He was a great friend to her and she would never want to ruin that either.

He was one of her best friends, not that Bobby, Katherine and the gang weren't. She just knew him as he knew her, deep on the inside. Looks can be exchanged without a word and they'd understand each other.

Another problem she was trying to avoid was mistletoe. It hung everywhere in the mansion -- figures the guys are the ones that hung it up. Well, let's just say she wouldn't be getting kissed, that's for sure. Again, she hated that thought.

The group was going into town shopping today with Scott. He had to get Jean's gift and this was the perfect time since she was busy working on other stuff with Xavier today. He wanted Rogue's advice as well. Getting a girl's point of view before spending loads of money on a gift never hurt.

Rogue was happy to go because everyone always let her drive the car. She loved it and was a good driver, unlike Jubilee. With the window and sun roof open on the van it was like riding free on the motorcycle with Scott or Logan as the wind rips through your hair.

Rogue walked down the hall to meet the guys in the garage. Oh no! What she feared was coming to life: intercepting with a guy near the mistletoe. What would he do? Nothing? Or would he have that look of fear in his eyes? One she dreaded to see. She saw it too many times and it rips her heart to see it. It makes her feel even more like a freak. She finally made out the face. It was just St. John. No big deal there. She said hello and walked around the hanging mistletoe but he grabbed her arm.

"Not so fast, sexy."

He was always fun, playful and made her smile a lot. He wrapped her up in his arms and took out his Zippo lighter and made a fireball. "You light my fire, baby!" and kissed her maroon glove.

She laughed at his antics and gave a warm "Thank you. You're always hot yourself."

"I know, but I'll just have to bear through my life, being blessed."

If more guys were cute like this, maybe she didn't have anything to fear. He started to walk away to do some studying.

"Hey, not so fast!" Rogue grabbed his arm this time. "Let's go shopping." She began to drag him.

"No, I should study. No, please, " he resisted jokingly, "anything but that, AAAAAHHHHHH the humanity of it!" and off to the mall they went.



New York was one of the places where a mutant state law was passed. It would remain in the books till the Supreme Court judged its constitutionality. With about five hundred other cases (okay, slight exaggeration) still pending, that would be a long while. Now just protests after protests were gathered almost everyday outside courthouses and stores. There was the occasional rioting that didn't help the mutant cause but only stirred up more trouble.

Rogue and everyone else, for the first time, noticed the law's effect on the community. Signs were up saying "We Don't Serve Mutants" and "No Mutants Allowed." Other stores either had people running them that were mutants, or those who were the few human souls on earth that didn't see mutation as evil but just different like every two other people are different. Rogue hoped that one day, most people would be like that.

The actual law provided merchants and owners the right to restrict their customers if potential threat to life and property existed. That was a clever way of saying you can segregate. It burned Rogue on the inside. She felt not only her anger but Magneto's. She had to keep that in check. She was always fearful of what she'd do if his thoughts ever controlled her. It scared her, but she was strong enough to keep them in the back of her head. Besides, Logan was stronger as well and he wouldn't let anything of Magneto's ever get to her. He was watching over her on the inside.

Scott went into a jewelry shop followed by Rogue. He misplaced his glasses, so all he had was the visor today. The receptionist looked at the two. She knew they were some type of mutants, what with that eye contraption and Rogue looking like a punk kid with her hair dyed and wearing funny clothes. She had the notion that mutant always equals trouble and she refused, to her boss, to help them as they looked through the cases.

"Oh, this one, Scott!" Rogue pointed a necklace out to him.

"You think she'll like it?"

"It's simple yet...elegant." The necklace was a diamond heart surrounded in a solid gold circle on a thin chain.

Another clerk eventually came up to help them. She was also a bit nervous around mutants. Scott could tell by her shaky voice but Rogue didn't seem to notice. "Can I help you?" She tried so hard to sound pleasant.

"Yes, we'd like to see that necklace," Rogue said with a smile.

She got it out of the case. Scott looked over at the other receptionist eyeing them with a spiteful glare, filled with hate. She didn't even know them but because they were mutants she hated them. Scott just couldn't understand it. He returned to looking at the necklace.

"Yeah, that's the one."

"It's beautiful. Thanks for your help, Rogue. I'll take it please."

"You're very welcome."

Scott got out his credit card and smiled at the lady, hoping to ease her fears. She seamed a lot less nervous now.

A small cry came from outside the store. It came from what appeared to be three guys carrying lots and lots of packages.

"Rogue, Mr. Summers! Help us, please!" Rogue only had a few packages of her own but there outside was half the mall. It was Katherine and Jubilee's stuff they had. Rogue smiled.

"You know, I have you to thank for this torture," St. John added.

Scott and Rogue left the store and he helped relieve the students' load. "Gee whiz, Katherine, did you forget anybody?!" Scott asked sarcastically. Some of the packages were downright heavy.

"I didn't want to leave anyone out!" she exclaimed.

Rogue looked at her own stuff. She never had much money. She didn't have a job or money from her parents coming in like some of the kids, but Professor Xavier gave her some for the holidays. He'd grown to be more like a father in her eyes. She was happy to have some family figure back that she could count on, like when she was younger. He was also a friend. She had all the memories of Xavier from Magneto in her head. She knew him very well from his past friendship with Erik. Rogue often talked to Xavier about Erik's memories and the times they shared together. He had a lot of experiences that people could learn from. She took a lot of those lessons to heart when making certain decisions.

Rogue then walked past an engraver and got an idea. She had been struggling with what to get Logan. She wanted a gift that showed how much he meant to her but not too over the top. She knew he didn't look at her as anything but a friend. Hell, who was she kidding? She could never be a relationship like that anyway. Touching, feeling, kissing, that was all not destined for her. Do relationships always have to be physical? They say there are deep emotional connections as well. She had those...

Oh well, she didn't want to get herself depressed for the holidays by thinking about love. She thought, as a friend he gave her his dog tags and now as a friend she could give him a pair.

Oh! It sounded too cheesy and corny but she had run out of ideas. She went in. It was much more expensive then she thought to engrave the stuff so she'd have to find something else.

But then someone surprised her.

"Don't worry about the cost." She was startled but turned to find Scott with his VISA flashing.

"I couldn't..."

"You helped me, I'll help you. Besides, I can swing a little for ya."

"Thanks." Rogue smiled, always the big brother helping her out.

She picked out two tags on one she wrote like a dog tag, her name and a bit about herself...

Your Marie a.k.a. Rogue (on one side and on the other...) A lost soul found at Laughlin City The other tag she wanted to write a message for him.

She decided upon, Thank you for being there when I crash and burn the other side wrote Friends Always. That was sweet but not too overdone. She paid Scott what she had and he covered it on his credit card. Hopefully, Rogue thought, her Christmas present for him will make up for all his generosity he'd shown her.

Shopping finally ended as everyone and their packages were lugged and shoved back into the van and headed home.



"Where were you all day?" Jean asked. "I found these finally." She handed him his glasses and he put them back on.

"Thanks. I was out Christmas shopping with the gang."

"You're a man. Aren't you a week or so early to do your shopping?"

"Ha, ha...I could always return what I bought." He gave her a devilish grin and wrapped her in his arms.

"Don't you dare!" She leaned in for a kiss. She loved being with him. He was the perfect mix of everything she'd ever need or want. They spent the evening quietly together.



Mystique headed with the other mutants to the state prison facility. Shadow loved to look at her. Her body was perfect in almost every way, except she was blue. He was an average hormonal male and loved to look. He didn't know what this chick was like but she was dark, like his soul as well. She was a flirtatious vixen. She would always lick her lips and graze her hands around his neck and face. He was driven crazy by this woman. He would do anything for someone with that much power over him. He'd tried to kiss her once and she'd kneed him in the groin. Got to love a woman with spunk. He guessed what they say is true: guys always want what they can't have.

They finally arrived at the state prison facility where Magneto was being held. There, Mystique disguised herself as s guard, clearing through Plasma with Shadow following in the darkness of Plasma's own shadow. Once inside the compound, they reached the restricted area keeping her Erik in prison. Shadow slid under the door and vaporized his black mist over the cameras inside. Then Plasma melted the control lock and they entered.

Three guards turned but were no match for the two mutants. Plasma stretched out his hand, heating one man into a black, charred pile of goo on the floor. The man never had a chance as his skin and muscles melted off the bone and his insides liquefied. Mystique took the other two, knocking them out with effortless ease.

After they secured the booth, Mystique looked through the window and saw Magneto in his plastic cell. He would be free. She grabbed one of the guard's guns and put a silencer on it. Near the main entry she quickly ended both the guards' lives without a second thought as bullets pierced their skulls. Plasma melted the doors as Shadow again covered all the cameras so as not to be seen. Mystique extended the bridge and Plasma melted the door to his prison.

Magneto was asleep but she woke him.

"Wake up Erik. It's time to go."

His eyes popped open. She had come like he knew she would. "I knew you'd come. I've missed you." He glared at the yellow eyes of Mystique. She returned his welcome with a foxy grin and the smooth graze of her hand across his face. She hurried Erik and the group on their way out. "Let's go!"

They slid out of the prison with a few more casualties on the side of law and justice. Finally the sirens began to blare for their escape. It took them long enough, thought Magneto. "Homo sapiens, so inferior..."

Once outside of the plastic cell Magneto had total control, closing doors on the police and flying around their guns. The group escaped without even a scratch as Sabretooth picked them up. Shadow unvaporized back into his human form and they were off to a hidden spot off the coast of Massachusetts.

"Time to send Xavier some Christmas cheer!" Erik was free and it was time to put his new plan into action.



The next day Xavier called in Rogue into his office. He handed her a box with Scott's gift.

"Will it work?" she asked.

"It should with no problems," Xavier smiled.

"Thank you very much professor, for all your help on this project. This mean a lot to me."

"I think it is a wonderful idea and I am working on a few other design ideas as well now, thanks to you."

She headed off to meet Logan for lunch then Bobby saw her. He just stood there waiting for her to pass with an impatient look. Rogue wasn't paying any attention.

"Hey Bobby!" And she kept walking.

He stepped in front of her to stop her path. He pointed up.

Not another one, Rogue thought. Mistletoe. It's like an unwanted fungus that pops up everywhere.

"You aren't obeying the laws of the mistletoe!"

"Sorry, but if you didn't already notice, the laws don't exactly apply to me."

"Nonsense, they are universal!" He created a stemmed ice rose, freezing it extra cold so it wouldn't melt as fast, and gave it to her. "For you my lady." And he bowed a bit. He then kissed her check through the hood part of her cloak.

"Thank you." She blushed.

"See you around!" He squeezed her hand before letting go and was off.

She traced the spot where he kissed her. It felt good, even if it was just from a friend. She held on to the ice rose as it started to melt to her body's warmth. Her friends really were the greatest at making her feel the best.

She had to laugh. Yesterday Bobby caught Katherine in the halls with all her books. He took them and threw them on the ground. She tried to yell at him to pick them up but in the middle of her complaining he said, "It's you and me, kid." He'd dipped her and placed a kiss on her lips. She must not have cared because they did that for over a minute.

Logan had watched this spectacle and a growl came across his face. What was he jealous of? He hadn't done anything or said anything or really felt much that way towards his little Marie. What did he say, his Marie? They were connected in some way, but she wasn't his. He was looking at her different every now and then but it still felt like it would be going after his sister. Push those thoughts away, Logan.

"There you are!" Rogue spotted him. "Ready for lunch?"

"Starved. Let's go out for lunch."

He took the motorcycle he had been working on and Marie held on tight as they spend down the highway. She loved riding on the motorcycle. It gave her a sense of freedom, like when she flies up into the sky.

They went to this rundown bar, Logan's favorite hangout. She felt at home in it as much as Logan did. He ordered a beer and she got a Pepsi.

"Take those off." He pointed to her gloves.

"But..."

"Trust me, you'll only ruin them."

He pulled at them a bit, being careful of his own fingers not to touch hers. She like his hands on her arm, the touching sensation it gave her. She finished pulling them off herself and set them aside. He ordered french fries and chicken strips. All finger foods. He was so thoughtful.

"I haven't seen you around to much lately. What have you been up to?" she asked with a raised eyebrow.

"Working on something. Plus I have to teach some class come January so I have to start thinking about it. I never taught anybody anything before. I should come up with something."

"You'll do fine. I'll take your class -- it will be fun."

"Just don't give me a hard time. I won't be lenient on you."

"We'll see," she smiled stuffing her face with herfavorite chicken strips with barbeque sauce.

They finished up and played a game or two of pool. With him in her head, she understood the rules and wasn't too bad. The bar TV was tuned on to the news and Rogue watched with interest every time the word "mutant" was broadcast. Finally she saw his face: Magneto.

Lady Announcer: In other news, late last night into today's early morning hours at the New York State Prison Facility, one mutant Erik Lehnsherr, nicknamed Magneto, escaped from his specially made plastic prison cell. He was originally charged in connection with the attempted destruction of the UN summit in New York City two years ago. Some suspect help was provided by a security officer working within the prison facility. No news yet on the location or whereabouts of the escaped mutant or his accomplices but investigations are underway.

"What?!" Logan was surprised and shocked. Xavier and the team were going to flip when they heard this...

Rogue just stared at the face on the screen. It was one she knew all too well. He was in her head. She fought with him every now and then. This was the man who looked her into her eyes and told her he would kill her. She knew his thoughts. To this man, her life, as well as others, were worth destroying for the overall goal. She felt pain shoot through her body as the memories flooded back into her. The fear, the machine, the terror. She couldn't move, only stare at the screen. She was even shaking until Logan came over and rested an arm around her shoulder.

"Hey, he can't hurt you." She turned to face him. "I won't let him do that again, okay." He looked into her soft eyes, wanting to heal all the fear and pain he saw. The only thing he could do was provided words of comfort right now and a promise that he wouldn't let him hurt her again. Ever! Rogue just nodded in a daze, slowly regaining her composure.

"Why don't we head back? You got exams to study for, right?"

"Too many." She cracked a smile, trying to ease her worry. What horrors could Erik be planning now...? Rogue thought to herself on the quiet ride home. Great, a new distraction for her mind when she ought to be concentrating on finals.



Logan was right -- there was a meeting called.

"How did he get out?" Scott asked.

Xavier answered, "I don't know, but he had help."

Storm knew one culprit: "Mystique is one definite."

"Do we have any idea what he's up to now?" Jean asked, concerned.

"None," Xavier replied disappointedly. He knew it wouldn't be good. Erik was right about one thing, that plastic prison didn't hold him forever.

"That doesn't mean shit! He had two years to sit in that whole to think of something." Logan was mad. "I can't believe we just have to wait." He wanted so bad to kill this man for hurting Rogue, even though it happened long ago. He felt his claws on the edge of his skin, itching to come out and rip something to pieces. Logan had to learn to control himself better.

"All we can do is wait. I can try and use Cerebro to find him or Mystique but I don't think much can come of it. I'm sure he's protected himself again."

Scott wanted to know what else they might be up against. He liked knowing as much info as possible, it's easier to plan a counter defense. "How can we find out who else helped him?"

Jean gave some added help. "From the camera footage that wasn't blocked there was always a guard and one other man. The guard was Mystique; I saw her yellow eyes flash once. The other I found to be a man called Plasma."

"Plasma? That another mutie codename?" Logan asked. He had one: Wolverine. It was his old army name, he thought, but they still sounded stupid to him.

Jean explained the name's importance. "He has the ability to melt objects from wood, to metal, to plastic, to human flesh."

"Sounds like a guy I'd love to meet," Logan said sarcastically.

Xavier gave them all one last piece of advice: "Just everyone keep their eyes and senses open. We have to wait and see what his first move is." Then the team dispersed, none of them comforted by this "wait and see" method but had to keep composure for the students. They would naturally be worried, paranoid, and rumors would fly.



Exam week hit. It was terror on the students. Rogue studied and studied but it felt like it just got more jumbled up. She took a break but then popped a few caffeine pills to keep her eyes awake for this next test and hit a cram review session before class in the guys' room. As she knocked on the door Gambit answered. He had a silly grin on his face and a weird contraption on his head. It was a hat that hung mistletoe over his head.

"You like it? This way I can always get the chicks to kiss me."

She laughed and he took her hand. He kissed her hand as he pulled out the queen of hearts playing card from his deck and gave it to her. "You will always be the queen of my heart."

"You guys are too much," Rogue smiled.

Bobby and St. John looked on the scene with interest. They had all planned to help make the mistletoe a good thing for Rogue, not something to be feared. They'd seen her eyes when it was being hung up and decided to help her overcome her fear. Right then, they all knew it worked.

They studied and Katherine and Jubilee joined in as well. When Jubilee entered the room Gambit showed off his little kissing hat to her. He hoped for at least a peck on the cheek. She surprised him with a lip-lock. St. John advised him in the future that he should learn to be more suave with women and loose the hat. It works a lot better.

All of them were slowly going insane from work overload and went off to put their cram session to the test.



Logan passed by class and looked in at all the kids taking the exams and Rogue. He knew Christmas was fast approaching but didn't know what to get her. He couldn't not get her something. She didn't really do jewelry except for his dog tags. He had her in his head and still didn't know what she wanted. She wanted touch but he couldn't give that to her, even though he was probably the only person able to touch her and wake up from it the next day. Everyone else was so easy to get for, Storm, Jean, Professor X and even Scott.

He headed over to the backyard garage where he had a bike he was working on fixing up. After all, he had a debt to repay. He thought about the time he'd asked Rogue about how to control her powers. She tried so hard but it was no use. The only control came from the clothing on her body. He could get her clothing but that seemed so impersonal. She was hard to shop for.

He had been avoiding her at the mistletoe for obvious reasons. He didn't want her to take a kiss from him the wrong way. Or was he afraid of what it might do to him? He didn't know how to classify his feelings for Rogue and so he kept pushing them aside, just best friends. But she knew him more intimately then anyone else. It was weird, that's for sure. Don't think about it and it doesn't become awkward.

Stay focused, Logan, he thought. Think about gifts.

Nothing came to him. This was not going to be easy.



Off shore in Massachusetts, Magneto greeted the new followers. He had another plan brewing in his head over the last two years. He wanted to put into action. First he had to make sure he knew Xavier's every move. Mystique could easily slide in there but Wolverine was back. He could smell her, recognize her. This Shadow boy would be his key. When he's the black mist he slides in and out, hides in other shadows. How does one fight or kill mist or air? He
would be valuable.
Sensing him would be near impossible. His mind and body everywhere at once. He would snoop around in hiding and report back.

He focused on the plan ahead, watching the TV as more rioting on the streets occurred as a protest outside a judicial building got ugly. Not much more motivation was needed to push some mutants over the edge into fighting, into war. To finally show mankind that mutants were here to stay, they were the wave of the future. He moved over to his desk. First it was time to write Christmas cards to his long-time friends.



The tree finally went up in the mansion with lights and tinsel. Everyone was making their own decoration for it, otherwise it was bare. They were all in the game room and den watching National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation as well.

Mail call came in from Storm. Rogue never got anything so was never egger like some of the students to run up and rip it out of Ms. Monroe's hands. She used to be the first when expecting Logan's letters...but, since he was back, no mail for her. Finally at the end, Storm came to her.

"You got a letter." She handed the green envelope to Rogue. Rogue never got Christmas mail and everyone who would write her was already there.

"Whoa, who wrote to you?" Katherine asked.

"I don't know?" She examined the envelope. "There's no return address."

"So, don't keep us waiting, open it!" Gambit looked on with curiosity.

She was excited to receive a letter yet nervous as well. Did something terrible happen at home, had her family decided to write to her now? If so, why? Her fingers fumbled with the envelope as she tried to rip it open.

It was a season's greetings card with symbols from both the Jewish and Christian holidays on it. It read...

To my puppeteer:

You know why I fight, you know my reasoning and logic. You know my life. I know you too, you are in my head as well my dear. When you get tired of Xavier's incessant lecturing and it pushes you over the edge, you are welcome to our side. We will meet again.

Happy holidays to you, young Rogue.

Magneto


She shoved the card to the floor as if it burned her flesh to touch. Bobby and Katherine and St. John were the most shocked by it and were speechless on what to do or say. Finally she picked it up and ran. Out the door and flying down the hall. She ran to Xavier -- she wanted some type of comfort. She knew Magneto...well, what was him up till two years ago. Most likely time changed him in prison. She didn't know what this letter could mean.

She flew past Logan and Jean knocking them both aside without an apology. They ignored it as holiday craziness and went to the TV room to check on the students. It was busy with everyone decorating.

"Why don't you make something?" Jean asked. She'd already made a few snowmen herself. Logan...and arts and crafts?

"Sorry, I don't do glue," he said with a dead serious look upon his face.

Logan needed to go out for a walk. He had been too cooped up in this joint for so long. He needed a beer and a good non-living target to vent his holiday frustrations, a few trees perhaps.

Bobby came up to talk to him. He was worried over Rogue; she'd flown out so fast they didn't know where she went. He wasn't sure if she'd do something crazy again.

Logan looked at the kid. He didn't want to talk to him not now, not ever. He wanted to vent but had to control himself not to do so on this kid.

"Which way did Rogue go?"

"She was in a hurry to get somewhere, kid. She didn't stop to tell me anything. Am I her keeper?"

"No." Bobby knew when she got scared she ran, last time. He knew she wasn't in her room but she ran. "She got a letter, a Christmas card, filled with warm tidings from Magneto," sarcastically saying the last part.

Logan didn't reply to Bobby but just headed to Xavier's office. He knew her; that was where she'd go.

When Logan got there Xavier and Rogue where talking about the letter. Apparently Erik had sent his old friend Charles one as well.

"What did it say?" Xavier asked.

"Not much. It just struck me -- burned me, that's all, if that makes any sense."

"I, too, got holiday greetings from Erik. I'd say it's nothing to worry over."

Logan busted in. "How can you be so sure?"

"His plans have changed. He will try something different this time. That is why we have to be ready to stand against him."

"Why would he write to her?" Logan asked protectively. He didn't want this freak anywhere near Rogue.

"He's in my head and I'm in his," a soft voice replied, "just like you are in mine and I'm in yours." She turned from Logan to Xavier. "Can I go now?"

"Sure. Just let me know if he sends anything else."

"Okay." Rogue exited, taking Logan's hand and dragging him behind her. He leaned over her, very close. She could feel him overpower her with his body yet it was comforting knowing she could fall into those arms when she needed to.

"Are you sure you're okay?" he asked with his big brown eyes.

"I'll be fine." Rogue replied, smiling to ease his fears. Her fears were quenched after hearing from Xavier. "Are you coming to Christmas eve service?" Rogue looked at Logan as they started to return to the den.

"I've never been much of a church-going guy. Faith, I have that, though many times it wavers. But church isn't my thing."

"Oh." Rogue sounded a bit disappointed. She needed to go. She wasn't what her mother or old church family thought, her mother was wrong about her. It was almost as if to prove something, something she already knew but needed to feel. She had faith in God, believed in him. He created her and other mutants; they weren't products of evil.

"If you want me to go with you I will." He could give it a try, for her.

"I'd like that." She counted a lot on faith these days, as the streets got worse and worse. A little hoping, praying and faith never hurt.

"I've got a few errands to run. I'll be back later if anyone actually comes looking for me." He smiled and headed out.

Rogue went back to the TV room. She needed her friends and a good laugh as her favorite holiday movie was still playing.



He walked and walked. Nothing in these stores screamed Rogue. She had better appreciate what he was going through for her gift. He found one thing she'd wanted. He debated over the issue. Was it too personal a gift, to inappropriate for a male friend to give? Then he realized Katherine and Jubilee had already gotten her the two-piece he was observing in the window.

Clothes that didn't cover all of her was another idea, but clothes are too impersonal again. Not for Christmas. He looked at the suit again. He thought she would look very sexy in it and hated the idea that other guys would see her in it too. If any of them ever got near her he'd...what? She'd kill them, no one can tough her remember. He was only trying to protect her. Just like a brother, friend, or...? He still was unable to define his feelings for her. Push them away and you don't have to deal with them Logan and he did.

Friend, just focus on friend. Godiva -- women liked that stuff, right? It was chocolate. He bought her about two dozen truffles of all types. This was the most expensive food he'd ever bought. What made this stuff so special? Isn't chocolate, chocolate? It wasn't as personal as he wanted to give her; he had to add something more to the mix. He walked around some more and hit FAO Shwartz. There he saw it. Add a card and Rogue's gift was done.



Christmas Eve came and the house was quiet. Rogue and some of the professors, her friends and a few others from school left for Christmas Eve Midnight Mass.

Chanukah was already celebrated at the mansion with festivities as well. A few of the Jewish students, including Professor Felix and the non-religious students were either in bed sleeping or doing last-minute wrapping of holiday gifts for friends for tomorrow. It would still be a fun day for all.

Service ended after an hour and a half with the singing of Silent Night. Everyone came back home and went straight to bed, eager for an early tomorrow, Christmas morning.

While they were away, Shadow slid into the mansion as a dark mist, making sure no scent could be traced by the animal man they called Wolverine. He'd stake himself out a spot for the night. Magneto paid him well so he'd do the job to perfection. He hid in the shadow of an old clock that was in the main atrium. As everyone returned he noticed them as they walked by. He'd learned to cloud his mind as Magneto taught him to hide from their senses. Charles could find him if he looked hard enough, but if no one knew he was there, so they wouldn't look that hard. He figured out who was who from the descriptions Erik had given him of Xavier's colorful characters. There was Scott Summers, Dr. Jean Grey, Storm, and Wolverine. He waited for them all to pass and the main area grew silent once more.

Not much would be happening tonight so he thought he'd enjoy his first night on the job. He'd take full benefits of being in the mansion by heading straight to the girls' dorm rooms. His shadow slithered down the hall and stairs till he found his first ladies' room.

It was Rogue and Katherine's room. He slid under the door undetected and hid in the corner shadows. He watched as they got ready for bed, showering and undressing before his eyes. Both beautiful girls, but to him anything with breasts was sexy. He paid particular attention to Rogue. Her curves and features. Oh what it would feel like to touch her. He'd learned of her power from Magneto. He saw the white strands of hair Erik gave her years ago. They framed her face so well. She was the untouchable one. He liked what he saw, though. He thought to himself, Damn you really do want what you can't have.

Just then another girl came in with her sleeping bag and unrolled it. Oh, he was raiding a girls' sleepover? How kinky.

"Thanks for letting me crash in here with you guys." Jubilee was excited yet exhausted. "Can we open gifts yet?"

Rogue hit her with a pillow. "No, be patient. Tomorrow morning will come soon enough."

Being so close to others and not knowing what they would get into, she covered herself in her long nightgown and wore her gloves to bed. What a shame to cover up that body, Shadow thought. That Jubilee girl and Kitty are cute too. Xavier sure knows how to pick 'em.

Finally the girls went to sleep, turning out the lights. Shadow knew of no better time to survey the house and get his bearings then now -- no one would be up. He slid under the door and went out to explore.



Logan came back from the garage; the bike was as done as it was going to get for now. It wasn't near perfect but it was a replacement. He slipped a few cards onto the tree...then he noticed something. He looked around the room. The room felt different, somehow. Was it the added presents, the fire out, the furniture that was rearranged? He didn't know. The room smelled normal, a bit musty but normal. He was just imagining things.

This whole Magneto escape has me edgy, that's all. He went off to bed.

Shadow stood frozen as the man glared around the room and sniffed the air. Does he know? No, I'm black air for crying out loud, hiding in a shadow. He can't see me or smell me. Can he? Logan left. He was safe, no worries. He went to explore the rest of the mansion, especially this underground section.



Christmas morning finally arrived. The TV room and den were filled with presents. Students were up the earliest, exchanging gifts they had bought for each other, drinking hot chocolate and eating warm gooey cinnamon rolls.

Rogue left up by Professor Xavier's office two beaded chains and a card telling him how much these two years have meant to her to find this place. He was doing something wonderful for mutants and mankind. She though she would have gone insane or killed herself eventually if she didn't find this safe haven. She made the beaded chains herself, using all different colors; they were a decoration for his electric wheel chair. It wasn't much but she thought it was a cute idea.

Continuing along that line, she made simple friendship bracelets in her spare time to all match for Katherine, Jubilee and herself. It was kind of girly, but her inner child insisted. They gave her in return a swimsuit. She'd never owned one while she was here and they all went shopping one day. They tried on every different kind of outfit Rogue couldn't ever wear. They'd bought her the suit and one other tank top and a short-skirt outfit that she liked but wouldn't buy herself.

"I can't believe you two bought me this."

"Can you model that for us sometime?" St. John's eyes bulged out, as did the rest of the guys at the image of her in the suit and skimpy skirt outfit.

Katherine just ignored the boys, "We thought you should at least be free to get some sun next summer. These would do just the trick. We'd all be careful."

For all the ice roses Bobby gave her he finally bought a crystal one. "This one won't ever melt away."

It shined so in the light and it captivated her eyes by the rainbows. "It's beautiful."

She then handed him her package. It was actually from all the girls because what he wanted most was super expensive.

"The Timex weather watch! You girls are the best!" he shouted, hugging them each in turn and admiring the new watch. He would accidentally freeze most of the watches he got, rendering them useless even after they melted out.

"What's that?" Gambit asked.

"It's a Timex weather watch. It's suppose to work from well below freezing to extreme fire heat temperatures. I can accidentally freeze this watch and it won't break on me. It has a guarantee to last a lifetime which is about a hundred years."

Rogue then gave St. John his gift. He was a pyro of sorts with his mutation, so what better than specially designed Zippo lighters?

"You encourage my bad habits!" he exclaimed. He in turn gave her several bandanas for her hair. She had never worn them before and he put one on with great care. "This way you can protect that head of yours a bit and not hide that gorgeous face of yours."

She looked at herself in the mirror. "Not too bad -- thanks." She smiled and gave him a hug for the gift.

Next came Gambit. She'd taken all the past year's worth of pictures the group had taken and added them to the back of playing cards at one of those photo shops that does that sort of thing. It was a new deck of cards with memories on the back.

"That's cool, cherie," Gambit said with a smile, looking through all of the pictures with the group.

"I can't believe you put that one of me in there!" Katherine exclaimed. She was covered in mud and being hung upside down from the obstacle course of Scott's. She'd gone with Gambit -- big mistake. She got all the traps and he photographed every moment.

He'd got Rogue something special as well. He knew she loved to dream about traveling to different places so he'd gotten her a bunch of travel destination books.

"I know you like to travel and it's been awhile. I think you should start to plan your next adventure."

"You would all be coming with me, right?" Rogue added.

"Naturally." Gambit replied. He wouldn't want to be left out of any road trip.



Upstairs, Scott and Jean were finally waking up to the morning. This is how Scott liked it. Her lying in his arms, watching her sleep so peacefully. Waking up each day next to her gave his life meaning; he had his life beside him and protecting it faithfully. He didn't disturb her at all from her dreams. After a while she began to stir, her eyes batting, trying to wake up to the day.

"Merry Christmas," he whispered in her ear.

With a glowing morning smile she replied, "Merry Christmas."

He reached over and grabbed a gift he'd placed on the floor with a card -- "I just can't wait any longer" -- and hands her the presents.

She sat up, eyeing him and the small package before her. She went first to the card. In it was a love poem with the last line reading How about July 15th, my love?

The two had never set a date, not agreeing on anything. Finally Scott conceded and decided this was one date they could both agree upon and gave them enough time to prepare. Jean had wanted to finalize plans so much -- this was the perfect gift for Christmas.

A wedding date.

Tears of joy watered her eyes. "Sounds perfect." She leaned in and kissed him.

"Don't forget the box. I was good and didn't return it." She smiled and pried it open, undoing five or six layers of wrapping paper to get there. Scott figured it would just increase interest and anticipation in the gift. She opened the velvet box and gazed at the necklace.

"It's beautiful!" And she meant every word. "It's perfect, I love it." He helped to clasp it around her smooth neck and then kissed it with his own lips, causing her to giggle as it tickled.

Scott looked at her and had to agree, the necklace was made for her. They got up and got dressed. Today these two had loads of surprises to hand out to a few eager students.

Jean finally gave Scott her gift for him. It was a small envelope. He opened it and inside was a pair of airline tickets, hotel reservations, and a ski package in the mountains for Valentine's Day weekend. She smiled at his expression. "You work hard; I work hard. This way we have each other and no one else to bother us for a whole week."

"Sounds like paradise." He hugged her to his chest and kissed her.

"I love you!"

"I love you too!"

She amazed him everyday. He was a lucky man and so undeserving of the woman before him. He would never take her for granted on anything. To spend alone time with her outside of the mansion walls would be heaven.

Upon opening the doors to head for some breakfast, there outside sat two dozen red roses in a crystal vase and a small box.

Jean smiled. "Is this from you?" She glared.

"No..." But he could take a wild guess.

Jean picked up the roses and box and brought them inside. The box had Scott's name on it. "This is for you."

He opened the little memo and it read, "Now we're even."

"What?" He pried open the box to find a set of keys...motorcycle keys. Jean looked on with a hidden grin. Scott wanted to run, run out and see what these keys started...

"Go..." Jean whispered, knowing he couldn't be contained much longer. With that, he ran off to the garage.

She turned to the card with the roses. She smelled their raspberry scent. They were beautiful: twenty-four partially opened buds, bright red to deep crimson. On the card was written, "These pale in comparison to you Jean. Hope One-Eye treats you right. If not, you always got me and I'll kill him. Merry Christmas. -- Logan"

Sweet yet not with out that roughness of Wolverine. He was nice to have as a friend who looked out for her. Logan knew nothing could happen between him and her but he was a great man to have on their side.



Rogue went to find everyone else. She ran into Ms. Monroe in the halls. "Merry Christmas, Rogue." She smiled, wrapped up in her electric blue bathrobe and teddy bear slippers.

"Merry Christmas, Storm."

"Why don't you come with me, Rogue? I have something that might interest you."

Rogue was curious and followed suit. When they got to Ms. Monroe's room she handed Rogue a big box. It was heavy as she set it down with a thud. "Here you go."

Rogue opened it and it was filled with books. She loved to read, and Storm had gotten her everything from history to literature classics to comic books. She would have loads of new reading material to occupy her time. It was at least twenty new adventures to fill her life. She was ecstatic.

"Thank you!" she replied to Storm and started piling through the titles. "Now I'll never run out of books to read."

"I've always loved them myself. It's a chance to break free of reality and travel somewhere new, be someone different."

That was why Rogue read. She'd learned today that she and Storm had one more thing in common. When things got to be too much here, Rogue would pick up a book and live another life. Some characters she'd find were like her, lived similar experiences, there was always someone she could sympathize with.

Rogue took out of her bag a gift for Storm. Ms. Monroe was surprised that Rogue had thought of her, and she opened up the box. Inside was a musical globe -- a winter scene in which you could shake up the water and snow and glitter would cloud the small village scene. It played "Winter Wonderland."

"This is very thoughtful of you; it's lovely. Thank you." She wound it up and her ears fell into the musical score that it played.

"I have one other thing I was hoping you'd either help me with or join me. It would be fun," she insisted. "A holiday surprise of sorts, a chance to be a bit different?" Storm looked at Rogue as a "trouble grin" came across her face.



Scott ran out to the garage and saw Logan and the bike. It almost looked like his.

They stood glaring at each other but Logan made the first move. "It's missing a lot, but it's a start," he said.

"Thank you," Scott replied. He didn't think Logan would do anything to replace even one piece of his bike and now he did this for him. Maybe he had this guy pegged wrong.

"Don't mention it. It's Christmas, so don't expect this every day, Laser-Eye."

Then again, maybe not.

"Don't worry, I won't."

As Logan went to leave, Scott added half jokingly and half serious, "Logan, stay away from my girl." He knew those roses where from him. Scott wasn't worried -- Jean and him were meant for each other and no one could tear them apart.

Logan ignored him and went in looking for Rogue -- but found Jean instead.

"Logan, thank you for the roses. It was very sweet."

"You're welcome." And he surprise-kissed her on the check.

"Scott and I set a date for the wedding."

"Really?"

"July 15."

"Congratulations."

"Thank you." And they went their separate ways. It was a short meeting, warm yet that barrier was there between them, one Logan knew he couldn't cross.



Rogue reentered the TV lounge with Storm. They'd had fun fixing up their new looks. As they entered all the students turned to stair.

"Cool!" was St. Johns and Jubilee's reply.

Katherine couldn't believe what they had done. She prayed it wasn't permanent.

Where the white hair once flowed on both now electric purple. A new look Rogue wanted to try and Storm's hair took well with it too. It wasn't permanent and would eventually come out. With their white hair it would be more than 8-12 washes it said on the box, though.

Scott turned to look, shocked into silence until his voice recovered. Through his red visor he picked up on the color, though. It shocked him. He wasn't sure if he was picking it up right but by the others' reaction he was!

"Purple? It's...different. It suits you both." Are they both crazy? He kept that to himself.

"I have something for you, Scott." Rogue brought out another box from her sack. Jean came into the den and over to check out the scene.

He opened his card and read, "I know your favorite color is blue, but this was as close as I could get. Thanks for everything -- thanks for being the big brother in my life." It was signed by Rogue and a P.S. was added that said "Merry Christmas" from Xavier.

He looked confused and curious and opened the box. He was shocked even worse then the hair. He almost cried. Inside the box was another pair of his ruby-quartz glasses...but these had a blue covering, making them purple. Purple. Could he see another color? It had been so long. Red was his life. To see purple?!?!

"Do they work?" he asked in disbelief in this miracle.

"Xavier says they should. I'd just look away to start."

He closed his eyes and removed his old glasses. His hands were now shaking in expectation as he put on the purple pair.

He then opened his eyes. They worked. He now saw his red world change before him to a new color he hadn't see in at least five years. It was like being blind and finally opening the world into view before him. It was beautiful. Purple was now his favorite color, the different shades from pastel light to deep dark purple. He was amazed.

"I...I...I don't know what to say."

Rogue saw the look on his face as he took in everything he saw as if it was the first time. "You don't have to say anything. Just enjoy purple."

She smiled, he loved it and it worked. That is what she liked best about Christmas, always the giving. Making others happy, trying to make their dreams come true.

She gave Jean a new book that she'd seen her look through when they went out once. It was a new theory about mutant molecular biology. Maybe something in there could help her in her studies or even find a cure to control dangerous mutant powers, like her own.

Scott also had a surprise for Rogue. He and Jean took her up to their office to give it to her. Xavier smiled as they left, hoping she'd like the surprise that awaited her.

Logan came in a few seconds after they left. Rogue wasn't here either. He was getting a bit frustrated on trying to track her down. "Hey Wheels, where's Rogue?"

"In Scott's office upstairs."

"Thanks."

"Oh, before you go, can you take Robert and. John with you please?"

"Sure." He went over to the group as they chatted over the holidays. "Hey, you two come with me."

Bobby and St. John thought they were in big trouble for some reason or why would Wolverine want to talk to them. Does it involve Rogue in some way? Bobby wondered.

The three entered not far behind Jean, Scott and Rogue. She was just sitting down as the rest barged in.

"Nice of you to knock," Scott said.

"Whatever" was Logan's only reply.

"I'm glad you two are here as well. We have a joint Christmas present for you all," Scott said.

Jean then handed out three identical packages to the students. They opened them together and inside each was an X-Men uniform.

Logan was started. Great -- new recruits to the club! His thoughts then went to Rogue; was she ready for this or was he just worried about her getting hurt? He knew she could handle it; it's what she wanted. He couldn't picture himself pairing up with Icy-Man any more then Scott. Maybe that's why he'd gotten in, to even out Cyclops's side of the playing field. He'd have to adjust to these kids.

Scott went on to explain the baggage that comes with the uniform.

"You can each accept these or put them on hold. No matter what, they will always be here for you. You're not ready yet for the entire package that comes with it, but this is a first step. You'll still be taking classes but now you'll be training as well, if you want this."

Rogue was stunned. She'd worked so hard for this -- she was so happy. This was the only thing she thought she could do well: helping mutants and others by being an X-Men. She still had a lot to learn and was now a bit scared by the idea, but she wasn't going to back down.

All three accepted. St. John and Bobby were interested in college as well but still wanted to train and go to school maybe near by. Scott said that wouldn't be a problem.

Finally after endless questions and excitement Logan found the opportunity to sneak Rogue away from the group. His gift seemed pretty crappy after this. He saw how happy and excited she was. Nothing he could give would compare. Too late now though.

Her face was beaming with so much excitement. This was definitely her best Christmas ever.

"I haven't gotten to say Merry Christmas, Marie." He hugged her and she replied with a "Me too."

"Let's blow this joint." They walked down to her room and he opened the door for her.

There, on her bed, was his gift. There were two dozen white roses and a box of chocolates, but what drew her eyes was a very large wolverine stuffed animal. She laughed and ran to hug it.

"It's adorable." She squeezed the life out of it and smelled the flowers.

Logan replied, "Figured if I'm not around there's a much softer and safer version of me to hang on too."

She looked up at him and smiled, "I still like the real thing better."

She slid a now crinkled package out of her pocket. Ooops. "Sorry, got a little wrinkled."

He sat on the bed next to her and opened the tiny box. He took out the dog tags and read them. "Your Marie." She thought that. Wow, he didn't know how to reply to that one. He was still battling with that question in his own mind. "Friends Always." He'd have to agree on that one for sure. He'd also always be there to catch her when she crashes and burns. That was their song. Wait, they had a song? Can just friends have a song? He pushed all that from his mind for a while. He loved these dog tags. Like she did with his, he didn't think he'd ever take these off.

"This is the best Christmas present I could have gotten. Thank you." He put them around his neck and gave her a bear hug. Finally her hair caught his eyes. "Nice, purple," he said, running his fingers through her hair.

"I kind of like it -- I figured it's a bit of a change from dreary white."



Shadow stood by watching all the day's events unfold. What a tear jerker! What a bunch of saps! There were a few new X-Men in training Erik would want to know about but that was the only thing worth reporting.

Christmas -- he never got much or gave anything. He learned to look out for number one a long time ago. When you're a mutant not too many people to rely on but yourself. Working for Magneto was a profitable business deal. Erik's own ideals were just that, his not Shadow's. Some points he had to agree with, though...but, overall, if he got money in his pockets, he was fine.



Logan got a special gift from Scott and Jean. She said she'd hope they would soften him up a bit. Scott knew he'd look like a doofus in them. Rogue popped in for a good night as Christmas dinner ended and the day finally was going to be put to rest. She laughed as she saw him, tough Wolverine, in big bunny slippers and a kitten throw blanket. "Night," she tried to say with a straight face.

"Not one word." He threw a pillow at the door and she left.

He stood there looking at them. They kept his feet warm but never, never would he wear these in public. The blanket also kept him warm; flip it over, and it was just black on the other side anyway.

He took off the slippers and went to bed. What a day. Rogue was now going to be a colleague of his soon, facing the dangers that he did. He knew she was ready for it, but he wasn't sure he was. He palmed over the tags and though of his friend Rogue. No longer the child he'd picked up that night but still haunted by demons and still blocking out most of the world. She had so much baggage more then him, since she had him and several other people inside of her. He'd be there though, whenever she needed him.

Rogue tucked herself in for the night as well. She snuggled into bed with her giant wolverine doll, rubbing her bare hands over the soft fur. She wondered what he felt like. What his touch with his hands would feel like in hers or on her. She settled for the night with Wolfie, her new stuffed animal. Today had been great -- she'd woken up high school teenage Marie and went to bed as Rogue, new addition to the X-Men. She dreamed that night about her future with the X-Men, and all the adventures, dangers and struggles she knew that laid ahead for themselves and all mutants.
This story archived at http://wolverineandrogue.com/wrfa/viewstory.php?sid=3040