Healing by Shadowlady
Summary: Still mourning the death of Jean, Scott takes off in an attempt to outrun the pain. Only problem is he’s about to get a crash course in emotional healing from a woman with an eerily familiar past and her two girls.
Categories: X3 Characters: None
Genres: Angst
Tags: None
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 17543 Read: 2452 Published: 11/21/2006 Updated: 11/21/2006

1. Healing by Shadowlady

Healing by Shadowlady
Blinking groggily at the muted light filtering through the drapes, Scott rolled over and smashed a fist into the alarm clock even as his gaze darted to the other side of his empty bed.

“Selfless my ass,” he hissed even as he tossed the covers back and rose to start his day. Prodding himself along he paused next to the window his gaze drawn to the group outside. Storm was busy with her flowers, conversing with Kurt over something of importance to them, the junior team members were busy displaying and perfecting their mutations powers, and Charles was sitting watching over it all.

Only Logan and Rogue were absent from the scene and Scott smirked to himself. The only upside of Jean’s death was knowing that Logan was suffering, his misery was obvious to anyone who wanted to see it.

The burly Canadian spent most nights drinking himself into oblivion, alone, and unnoticed in the lounge. The only one who seemed interested in Logan’s situation was Rogue who wore her grief like a cloak, offering unspoken support to her friend.

The misery and lack of solidarity within the ranks grated on Scott’s nerves even as he stripped and stepped into the shower his hands reaching for the dials automatically.

Half an hour later Scott gripped his leather jacket tightly as he hurried down the stairs. Slipping soundlessly into the garage he pulled it on and swung his leg over the back of the bike. Settling on the seat he cranked the engine over and listened to it purr. Instantly assaulted by memories of the rides he and Jean had gone on he shook his head and blinked to keep the tears at bay as the bike began rolling down the driveway and out onto the road.



Swirling the dark amber liquid in the bottom of his glass Scott tilted the shot glass even as he shifted on the hard bar stool. He could see the attraction getting drunk had for Logan; it numbed the mind and erased the pain at least temporarily.

In the month since he’d departed from Xavier’s he’d come to relish the idea of being blissfully drunk. It helped keep him from feeling, from dealing with the ghosts that haunted him. And yet despite all the miles he’d put under him his misery wasn’t getting any easier, the pain was still agonizing, his nights filled with dreams of her, and his days were haunted by thoughts of her.

Catching the bartender’s gaze he lifted his glass in the familiar signal for a refill even as he downed the last swallow. He didn’t know anymore, his moods swung between insane grief and bitter anger – a rather unsettling motion for him, one that was increasingly dangerous.

The grief he understood, it was familiar, comfortable even, but the anger, the rage was alien to him. He hadn’t felt it since he was a small boy, since his mutation had kicked in. There were moments when it so consumed him that he actually hated her, hated what she’d done, when he wished she’d followed through on her plans to leave him for Logan – and then the guilt would attack him.

“You okay?” the bartender asked setting another glass of the bitter liquid in front of him.

“Don’t know,” he growled, “Ain’t figured it out just yet.”

“You keep hitting ‘em like that and you’ll bet cut off. Don’t want no trouble in my place.”

With a knowing look at the nodding man the bartender set aside another glass of whiskey in front of him and moved off to the other end of the bar. From the moment the young man had walked in he’d known he wasn’t what he appeared, his clothes weren’t anything to speak of, denim jeans, biker boots, long sleeved shirt and a leather jacket embroidered with an X on the collar completed his apparel. His dark glasses hadn’t left his face but then that didn’t really matter any, it wasn’t like he needed to see in the dimly lit bar – rather he sensed they were there as a necessity and not as a fashion statement.

No, the man was here trying to drown his pain in the whiskey, something that was futile. The alcohol would only temporarily dull the pain it never erased it. After all you couldn’t run from it forever – even if you wanted to.



Moaning softly at the pounding in his skull Scott blinked open his eyes immediately regretting it the moment the sunlight hit them. Cursing his inability to get drunk without a hangover the next day he kicked off the blankets and stumbled to the bathroom. A hot shower, several cups of strong black coffee and he’d be as okay as the living dead could possibly be.

Piling his clothes hap hazardously on the floor he stepped under the hot spray and stood there, his eyes closed as he wished longingly for his shower goggles. Scrubbing ruthlessly to get the stench of stale booze, cigarette smoke, and cheap perfume off him he vaguely remembered a blonde who’d been more then willing to accompany him home last night. Briefly he wondered where she was then shrugged, it didn’t matter – nothing mattered now.

Crawling out of the shower when the water turned tepid he padded naked into the bedroom slipping his glasses firmly into place and glancing around. There was no indication that a woman had been in the room, no used condoms or smell of cheap perfume, no indent in the bed next to where he’d slept.

“Damn hangovers, ain’t fair I’ve got to suffer one for indulging while others don’t even get drunk no matter how much they drink,” he grumbled as he dressed in clean clothes and tossed his dirty clothes into a bag. Putting on his jacket he sighed, he’d need to stop by a Laundromat at some point – he couldn’t afford to be buying new clothes every time his got dirty.

Stepping into the sunlight he sighed as his gaze scanned the area, settling on the distant horizon, west was looking better and better every second. There he could get lost, no one knew him, knew Jean, there was no reminder of what he’d lost. Yes, west held the key, he was sure of it as he climbed aboard his bike.

Stopping only long enough to fill up the tank with gas grab something to eat and hot coffee, Scott fired the engine and roared out of town not looking back at the cloud of dust he left hanging in the air.



*******************************************************************
Three days later Scott parked his bike in the shade of a tall, twisted willow tree and started across the grass of what was obviously a neighborhood park. Children raced around him in the warm sun, laughing, screaming, and playing like children were supposed to.

Women sat in clusters on benches talking, holding their babies the normal everyday things that happened in suburbia. Watching them Scott swallowed painfully, longing filling him as he realized he’d wanted this, wanted the normalcy of a family.

Strolling along the walk way he glanced out over the water of a large pond, seeing but paying no attention to the myriad of birds swimming in it. Instead his mind was filled with memories, hopes that would never come to bear fruit.

*“I don’t want children Scott,” Jean’s voice held nothing but a steely resolve. “They don’t fit into my plans, my future. I’m a doctor, and an activist – no Scott I do not want children of my own.”

“But we would make good parents,” Scott protested quickly staring at her in shock. “You’d make a wonderful mother.”

“It’s bad enough we have to baby sit other peoples kids Scott, I’m not suited to being a parent. I know that, I know my own limitations even if you don’t and I’m not interested in having a child. They’re noisy, smelling, and I’d ruin my figure.”

“So you’re concerned about appearances then?” Scott had demanded harshly.

“No, I just don’t want to bring a new mutant into a world that is filled with such distaste, such revulsion. Mankind hates us; they fear us – why would you even think of bringing a new life into that sort of intolerance?”

“Because I want a family,” Scott whispered painfully. “I want to know that there will be life after my own.”

“You have children galore here, hundreds of young lives you’ve touched. That should be enough Scott.”

“Yeah I guess for you it would be,” Scott replied softly, knowing she wouldn’t change her mind. It wasn’t about his wants, his needs, it was about her political and career plans. Children didn’t enter into either of those things.*

Shaking off the maudlin thoughts Scott realized that Jean and he had more than their fair share of problems, some that would never have been overcome. No the thought of having to do without a family had hurt but he’d resigned himself to it. After all their line of work didn’t leave a whole lot of time for family planning, for taking care of a child he told himself. Now though it hurt, that old ache had returned stronger than ever.

“Hey freak you gonna come down from there?” the loud yell was filled with anger and hatred and followed by laughter.

Glancing toward the sound of the disturbance Scott frowned as he realized what was going on. Three older teen boys dressed in the ‘uniform’ of the FoH were standing at the base of a tall pine tree looking up at whatever or whoever they had treed. Their fatigues hung off their thin bodies, heavy boots crushed the grass beneath them, and their shaved heads shone in the sunlight.

“Come on freak, stupid mutie ya gotta come down sooner or alter.”

“Go away,” the voice was young, small and filled with fear and drifted down from near the top of the tree. “You’re mean!”

“Aw come on down you little freak, we ain’t gonna hurt you,” the boy glanced at his friends and laughed, “Much.”

“Go away or I’m gonna tell my Mommy!”

“Yeah? What’s she gonna do? Lecture us to death?” the boys laughed uproariously. “Get down from there..”

“GO AWAY!” the girl shouted tears leaking into her voice even as the crowd in the park slowly disappeared leaving the child to the mercy of the boys. “You’re mean and I don’t wanna play with you!”

“Leave her alone,” Scott ground out as he moved in behind the boys his gaze darting up the tree to see the hint of a girl in the top of the tree.

“Why don’t you mind your own business man,” the obvious leader snarled at him.

“Try and make me,” Scott snapped grabbing him and lifting him off the ground, “You wanna know what I think? I think you’re gonna go home like good little boys and leave the baby alone.”

“Yeah and who do you think you are?”

“A concerned citizen,” Scott snapped back angrily, “Take some advice and move on.”

“Mutie lover..” the boy hissed angrily moving his hand so Scott could clearly see the glint of sunlight on the metal of the switchblade in the youth’s hand.

“How’d you guess?” Scott hissed dropping him and glaring at them through his glasses, “And put that toothpick away, I’ve seen bigger and better on a real man. Go home, NOW!” the order was barked.

With a glare at him the boy smacked his friends’ arms and scurried off, leaving Scott with a toddler in a tree, “If only Logan could seem me now, he’d kill himself laughing,” he muttered looking up, “But I sure could use his help. Hey sweetie you gonna come down?”

“No! Mommy says not to talk to strangers, not to go near them either and I don’t know you.”

“Your Mommy is very smart,” Scott tried placating the child, “My name’s Scott I could call your Mommy, get her to come here..”

“Mommy’s at work,” the girl replied with a slight frown. A moment later Scott glanced sharply at his clothes that suddenly appeared to be crawling with live spiders, and felt his stomach knot up. A moment later the insects disappeared up the tree toward the little girl who started down the trunk with care.

“My friends said you were okay,” she explained as she dropped out of the tree, “they trust you.”

Smiling softly at the tow-headed little girl Scott knelt down so he was on her level. “What’s your name?”

“Mary,” the girl smiled softly, her dark eyes filled with warmth. “Mary Metcalf.”

“Nice to meet you Mary,” Scott offered his hand for a quick shake. “Are you here alone? I can call your Mommy at work and she’ll..”

“MARY! God Mom’s gonna freaking have kittens,” the distinctly feminine voice was rushed, out of breath and Scott turned his head to stare at an older girl racing toward them.

“Lisa this is Scott. He’s nice.”

“Hi,” the girl glared at Scott for a second, “Mom’s on her way home already and we’re still at the park. She’s gonna kill me.”

“I’m sure she’ll understand..”

“Understand what? That those FoH fuckers treed my little sister while I was fighting with one? I hate them, wish they were all dead.”

“LISA!” Mary’s protest stilled the older girls rant even as Scott shifted, rising to his feet and lifting Mary into his arms.

“Where do you live? I’ll walk you both home and explain to your Mom what happened.”

“She’s not going to be happy to see you. She doesn’t like men.”

“Why?”

The girl shrugged her shoulders, her long hair coming loose from the braid it was in, “Something to do with when she was in the army at a lab,” Lisa whispered softly glancing at her baby sister. “They did some stuff to her.”

“Lab?” Scott paled for a moment, “No problem. Look lets just get the two of you home safely then we’ll deal with this situation okay?”

Lisa nodded and fell into step with him as he carried her sister. The little girl’s eyelids were getting heavy and she knew Mary would be asleep soon. Not knowing what her mother would say Lisa dreaded the coming confrontation. Her mother had a short fuse and a propensity for violence when provoked but maybe just this once her Mom would keep it under control.


Shifting the girl in his arms Scott followed Lisa up the walkway of a small, hacienda style house. The front door was nondescript and yet something told him that whatever was on the other side of it wasn’t blind.

Not knowing what to expect, not wanting to offend he waited for Lisa to open the door only to have it pulled open before the girl’s hand closed over the knob.

“Lisa what did I tell you..?” the woman stuttered to a stop, her gaze darting to Scott’s face then the baby in his arms, her long legs encased in worn denim and a black leather jacket covered what appeared to be a white turtleneck shirt. The faint glint of metal revealed she wore a chain around her neck but other than that no jewelry.

Staring into hazel eyes surrounded by dark lashes that were as familiar as the daylight Scott swallowed hard and shifted the little girl in his arms, “There was a bit of a problem at the park,” he offered as an explanation.

“Lisa take your sister and put her into her bed. She’s exhausted,” the woman stated calmly, her gaze filling with anger as Lisa did as she was told. The moment the girls disappeared into the house she stepped outside closing the door with a soft click and stepping closer to Scott. “What do you want?”

“Want?” Scott shrugged uneasily, “Should I want something?”

“You people are all the same. You figure because you brought them home that I’m going to let you in? That I’m going to give you free rein over my life again? Wrong go back and tell your superior’s that it doesn’t work that way. I see you again I’ll call the police and let them deal with you.” There was more pain than anger in the words and Scott felt it all the way to his soul, something or someone had hurt this woman badly and there was nothing he could to do prevent that pain from surfacing.

“I don’t know who you think I am but I’m not affiliated with anyone who’s a superior. I just saw three boys tormenting the little girl and stepped in. No strings..”

“Of course not,” the woman snapped turning back to the closed door, “There were never any strings were there?”

“No, there wasn’t,” Scott replied stiffly and turned to walk away aware of the woman’s gaze on his every step. The clicking of the heels of his boots on the cement seemed loud to him but he refused to turn and look behind him, experience had taught him that he wasn’t suited to figuring out what a woman wanted.






Slipping into the supermarket Scott sighed, he needed to figure things out and running sure as hell wasn’t helping. Ever since he’d left the small house on the edge of the suburbs his mind had been twisted with hopes, with dreams that had long since been forgotten and he wondered just what it would take to make himself let go of his past.

With a sigh he mentally checked his account and shook his head, he needed a job, needed an income and that meant picking a place to stay for a while. Deciding that he’d had enough of the road for now, that this place was as unlikely a place as any could be he’d checked into the local motel.

With a roof over his head he needed a job, and the lady at the post office had said the market was hiring – he figured he’d try it on for size see what the fit felt like.

“I’m looking for Mr. Michael Cross,” he stopped a young clerk who eyed him with a hint of a smile.

“Mike’s in the office. Up the stairs and the second door on your right,” she said pointing before walking away.

Following the direction Scott made it up the stairs and to the door without encountering anyone. With a quick hard rap on the door he waited impatiently for it to open. Raiisng an eyebrow slightly at the disheveled looking young woman who couldn’t meet his eyes as she slipped past him, Scott turned his attention to the slick, blonde haired man eying him dispassionately.

“Yes?”

“I’m Scott Summers, I called earlier about work.”

“Oh yeah, right,” the man gave a sheepish look and turned back to his desk, a desk that was suspiciously neat and tidy. “I had a couple of questions for you.”

“Ask away,” Scott said stepping into the room and waiting.

“It says here that you’re a teacher?”

“Was,” Scott shrugged his shoulders, “Mechanics, English Lit, and Mathematics. I’m on sabbatical.”

“And you want to work in a supermarket?” Michael asked doubtfully.

Shrugging quickly Scott sighed, “Want to? It’s not about wants, it’s about needs.”

With a quick nod Michael tossed the resume on the desk and smiled softly, “Look I know of a job you’d be perfect for. You can tinker with your engines and stuff and still get paid for it.”

Scott smiled sadly, “That obvious, huh?”

“I’d say so. Here’s the number, the place is just down the street about three blocks on the right.”

Taking the piece of paper Scott nodded his gratitude and headed outside for his bike, ignoring the looks from those in the store. Mechanics didn’t have to deal with people on a regular basis, perhaps he could have a few hours of mindless work and some isolation. It was what he wanted after all.

Following the directions Scott rolled to a stop in front of a non descript brick building, with only one large bay door. Stepping off the bike he headed for the door with an open sign hanging off it even as he looked at the name on the paper.

“Laura Metcalf,” he muttered, “Sure hope she’s looking for a hand cause I need a job bad.”

“Can I help you?” the masculine drawl had him glancing up to see a robust man with a receding hairline standing behind the counter reading a bike magazine.

“Uh yeah, I’m looking for Laura Metcalf. Michael Cross at the market said..”

“Yeah he called,” the man nodded, “So you’re some sort of wrench jockey huh?”

“You could say that,” Scott replied immediately liking the man, “Bikes, cars, jets.. you know engines are my thing.”

“The Boss ain’t in at the moment,” the man reached for a cup and took a swig of the steaming brew in it, “One of her kids got sick or something this morning so she won’t be in till tomorrow but if you like you could give her a call at home. I’ll give you her number,” he said scribbling on a slip of a paper. “She’s crying for help so you may be starting tomorrow – just so’s you know.”

“Tomorrow is fine,” Scott took the card and smiled his appreciation. “I’ll give her a call.”



Slumping onto his bed Scott picked up the room phone and dialed the number he’d been given. Counting the rings Scott twisted the cord around his finger as he sat there, “Hello?” the low sultry voice held a distinct accent one that was vaguely familiar to Scott although he couldn’t place it.

“Uh hi, is this Laura Metcalf?”

“Who is this?”

“Scott Summers, Michael Cross from the market sent me by the shop and the guy there..”

“Oh Barney, yeah he’s acting as foreman today. What can I do for you Mister Summers?” the woman’s voice held only a slight hint of impatience and worry.

“I’m actually calling about the job as mechanic.”

“You worked on cars before?”

“Cars, trucks, bikes, jets,” Scott shrugged and blinked, “Worked on ‘em all. I love to tinker with an engine.”

“You work on imports?”

“Does a Mercedes count?”

“Anything Japanese?”

“No but I’m willing to learn. I’ve worked on German, French, Italian imports..”

“Be at the shop at eight in the morning,” with a sigh the woman’s voice was firm, “Be prepared to get dirty.”

“I’ll be there and thanks,” Scott said even as the line went dead. Hanging up he raked a hand through his hair and swallowed against the rising pain in his chest. Staring at his hand he eyed the plain gold band that still decorated it and felt a vise tighten around his heart a little more, “Why couldn’t you have trusted us enough to get out?” he whispered softly, sadly even as he blinked back the tears.

Pushing aside his desire to have a drink and temporarily dull the pain Scott reached for the remote. Flipping on the news he felt sickened by the protests against mutants and decided that he didn’t need a reminder, a moment later he settled on an old black and white western playing.

Focusing on it he longed for the oblivion of a drunken stupor even as his mind worked over how best to keep his new job. He couldn’t afford to lose it, he had no where else to go except back to New York and that wasn’t an option for him not now at least.



Reporting for work a little before eight Scott waited impatiently for someone to show up. The minute he heard the low purr of a well tuned engine he turned his head to watch a black and grey Cherokee pulling into the parking lot and pulling to a stop behind his bike.

“Not you again!” the distinctly unhappy voice had him hiding a wince as he realized his new boss was indeed the woman who’s kid he’d talked out of a tree a few days before.

Silently kissing his job goodbye he shrugged, “Hello again, nice to meet you Mrs. Metcalf.”

“It’s Laura and what makes you think..”

“You said for me to be here at eight to start work,” Scott pointed out softly, “I’m merely following your orders.”

“It was you on the phone,” Laura raked a hand through her long dark curls, “Great. Well we need a Wrench-jockey and you’re the only one who applied so I guess that means you’re gonna be working for me.”

“Why didn’t anyone apply?” Scott asked quickly, a frown marring his face. If she was one of those that didn’t pay..

“I’m mutant friendly,” Laura declared unlocking the door, “Come on I’ll show you around before Barney gets here.”

“And people don’t like that?” Scott asked glancing around.

“Mutant friendly people aren’t exactly the most popular; they’re about one step above the actual mutants.”

“So which are you, bottom wrung or second to last?”

Laura turned to glance at him with a raised eyebrow in an expression that was eerily familiar, “Bottom of the ladder baby, bottom of the ladder. I’m a full fledged mutant, with two mutant kids to boot. Still want the job?”

“Sure, I like fitting in; playing with my own kind,” Scott retorted sarcastically. “Where’s my locker?”

“This way,” Laura eyed him for a moment before turning and heading toward a door marked Staff Only. Pushing past it she pointed to a row of lockers, “Take your pick. I’ll supply you a lock for it.”

“Where do I start?” Scott asked as he followed her out into the main bay where a low slung Porsche sat next to a Harley Davidson.

“Take your pick,” Laura shrugged, “The bike’s gotta be outta here by three so I’d start that one.”

“What’s wrong with it?”

“That’s for you to find out,” Laura replied coldly before pointing to a back door, “That’s my office, there’s a coffee pot set up in it so help yourself. Your breaks are at ten and three and you’ve got a half hour for lunch.”

“Thanks,” Scott muttered as she walked away, his gaze taking in the sway of her hips, and the loose, flowing stride of someone comfortable within their own skin. Shaking his head slightly Scott turned to look at the bike for a moment. “Well Harley lets see what the hell is keeping you off the road shall we?” he muttered and set to work quickly.




The tinkling of the bell alerted Laura that there was someone in the front office and she rose to move out to greet the customer. Stepping through the door she wondered what had induced her to actually allow Scott and Barney to head over to Gibbons Metal Works even as she recognized the man standing on the other side of the desk.

“Good afternoon,” she greeted coldly.

“My car ready yet?” the belligerent tone did little to ensure her warm reception.

“It was ready two days ago Mr. Jackson,” Laura snapped angrily, “I called you about it remember?”

“Well I’m here to pick it up,” the man ground out his eyes filled with rage and hatred.

“Here’s the bill, once it’s settled you can collect the vehicle,” tossing the bill on the counter she eyed the man silently, her body tense, her hands fisted and crossed over her chest.

Taking the bill the man scowled at it even as he glanced up to argue only to snap his mouth shut at the familiar furious look on her face. Pulling out his wallet he pulled out several bills and tossed them onto the desk before holding out his hand, “Keys.”

Tossing them at him Laura watched him stalk past her to where his battered old Chevy sat.

The roar of the engine filled the shop and she rolled her eyes even as she hit the switch, opening the bay door and letting the town bigot drive away. Shaking her head she wondered what she’d ever done to deserve this amount of shit.

“Was born a mutant,” she muttered under her breath as she headed back to her books.

Picking up her pen Laura reached for her checkbook, today was payday and she needed to have the checks ready for when the guys got back. Filling Scott’s out she frowned as she put it into a plain envelope and labeled it, unlike most of the other wrench jockeys that had come and gone he was dedicated, hard working, and kept to himself. While he often tensed when given an order he rarely protested it, instead he would follow them to the letter before moving onto something else.

In the month that he’d worked for her he hadn’t made any errors, had in fact done so well that she had noticed an increase in business. No it was the air of sadness, of grief that clung to him that upset her. He’d obviously lost someone or something that had mattered to him a great deal and he was using her place to hide out from it.

With a soft sigh she leaned back in her seat and glanced out her office window. She understood the need to hide from the pain, from the past – it was something she did on a regular basis but he’d made it into an art form.

“Mom! Mom,” Lisa’s voice had her racing for the front of the shop just as the door slammed shut. Stumbling in her haste the girl clung to the door as she stared at her mother, “Those Jackson boys are at it again Mom.”

“Where are they?” Laura grabbed her coat and keys.

“Rocky Point,” Lisa panted, “Mary took to the trees again with her friends and now..”

“Stay here,” Laura ordered as she headed for the door a moment before it opened and Barney stalked in. “Good Barney you’re back, can you stay with Lisa for me? I’ve got to go..”

“Summers is already out there,” Barney grunted looking at her easily, “We say Mary on the way back and when he saw those boys he got pissed. Said he’d catch up to me.”

“Great, I don’t want to have to bail him outta jail,” Laura shook her head, “Please just stay with Lisa.”

“I can stay by myself.”

“You’ll stay put with Barney if you know what’s good for you.”

With a disgusted look Lisa shrugged and looked at Barney, “Don’t understand why I can’t go to.”

“Your Mom’s right. You don’t need to get into the middle of this,” Barney said as the door closed on Laura’s retreating figure. “Seems to me she don’t need help.”

“That’s the problem,” Lisa muttered too softly for Barney to help, “She wouldn’t know when she did need help.”


Parking the truck Laura killed the engine and nearly tore the door off the hinges as she got out of it. Slamming the door she took off running across the park, her gaze darting about as she searched for her daughter and her hired hand.

Spotting a commotion a few hundred yards across the lawn she turned and raced that direction, realizing that the FoH representatives had Scott down on the ground and were pounding him to within an inch of his life.

Cursing strongly she grabbed the one nearest to her and tossed him out of the way, “Go home now!” she snarled smacking one in the back of the head even as he turned to stare at her. The flash of light on metal told her he had a knife and she smirked at him even as she raised one fist and flexed her muscles extending one claw out, “Get a real one boy. Now get outta here.”

The boys scattered and Laura glanced up to see Mary parked on a branch a few feet out of arms reach, “Well come on down Mary, they’re gone.”

“Is Mr. Summers okay?”

“I don’t know,” hunkering down next to him she rolled him over and winced at the myriad of bruises and cuts on his face. The slow steady pounding of his pulse told her he was still alive but nothing more than that. Shaking her head she quickly checked for broken bones before hefting him over a shoulder and heading back for the truck with Mary on her heels.


Reaching for his glasses as soon as he became aware that his body ached Scott groaned as he realized that they were missing. Shifting slightly he let his other senses fill him in on where he was. The smell of antiseptic, the bleep of machines, the sounds of muted voices and alarms told him he was in the hospital.

“Well it’s nice to see you’re awake,” the familiar drawl had him groaning. “You gonna open your eyes?”

“Where are my glasses?”

“Busted,” came the quick response, “but I found you a visor lookin’ thing in your saddle bag, you want that?”

“Yes,” Scott held an impatient hand out for the visor, thanking his lucky stars that he’d thought to pack them. Sliding them on he blinked his eyes open and exhaled sharply, “What happened?”

“The Jackson boys were waiting for you,” Laura explained softly, “You’re lucky you got away with a broken wrist, banged up ribs, and a concussion. The doctors were a little worried when they couldn’t open your eyes.”

“It’s too dangerous..”

“Yeah I figured that when I dropped you off,” Laura smirked, “The red glow from your lashes kinda told me that your eyes aren’t exactly normal.”

“Yeah, normal,” Scott sighed as he sat up ignoring the pounding in his head, “Where are my clothes?”

“Over there,” she pointed to the clothes on the back of a chair, “I took ‘em from the hotel when I went to check on how long you were paid up for.”

“Thanks,” Scott tossed back the covers and struggled to get off his bed. Only Laura’s fast reflexes and the edge of the bed kept him from landing on his face, “Guess I’m not as strong..”

“Come on hot shot,” Laura chuckled as she eased him back onto the bed, “I’ll help you out.”

“Good to see our patient is awake,” the joyful tone had both of them cringing as a tall, thin, doctor walked into the room. “Miss Metcalf tells me that you were attacked, you’re lucky to get away with the injuries you suffered.”

“When can I go?” Scott interrupted anxious to get away from the reminder of what he’d lost.

“I can’t in good conscience release you..”

“He’s gonna stay with me,” Laura sighed as she watched Scott squirm, “I’ll watch him.”

“Have your insurance information ready for the nurse at the desk..”

“I took care of it,” Laura sighed and watched as the doctor checked Scott over once more before signing a sheet of paper. Taking the prescription he held out to her she glanced back at Scott, “Come on hero man, let’s get you back to the house.”

“Just drop me off at the hotel,” Scott groaned as Laura began dressing him, “I’ll be fine within a couple of days.”

“Oh shut up. I owe you a favor for helping out my baby, doesn’t mean I have to like it,” Laura grumbled irritably, “Now come on. I’ve got better things to do than deal with you and your bullshit.”

“Gee thanks,” Scott winced when she tugged a bit too hard on his arm jarring the break. “Watch it, you trying to kill me?”

“If I was I’d just run you through.”

Uneasy with the statement Scott fell silent as Laura all but dragged him out of the hospital and into the waiting vehicle. The drive back to her house was silent; with only a brief stop at the pharmacy to pick up the painkillers he’d been prescribed.

“So how long till I can go back to work?” he asked quickly as she settled him on the couch.

“Six weeks,” Laura snarled, “Six very long weeks – if you behave yourself, eight if you don’t.”

Glaring at her through his visor he eased back into the pillows and watched her toss a handmade afghan over him, “I’m gonna go to sleep, if you need me..”

“Trust me I won’t,” Laura shot back, “I’ll wake you up in an hour for your meds and in two hours for dinner – try not to die on my couch.”

“I’ll try.”


The cold press of something on his forehead woke Scott from his slumber and he blinked his eyes open through his glasses to see an innocent face above him. Groaning softly he made to sit up only to have two little hands helping him. “Hi Mary.”

“Hi Scott, thank you for helping me.”

“No problems darling,” Scott muttered easing into an upright position, “is dinner ready?”

“Yep. Mommy made s’ghetti.”

“Hmm,” Scott winced as he shifted every ache and bruise protesting strenuously. Pushing aside the blankets he rose shakily to his feet, a dark look of pain crossing over his face.

“Sit down before you fall down. You’re likely to break something else and I’ll have to nurse you for another six to eight weeks.”

“No less than,” Scott muttered crossly, sinking gratefully back onto the couch.

“Here, take these,” she held out to small blue capsules and a glass of water. Once she was certain the pills were gone she turned and stalked toward the kitchen, intent on getting him his dinner. Taking him the plate she smiled at Mary who’d snuck onto the couch to watch over Scott easily, “Eat as much as you can. I made lots so if you’re up to seconds..”

“Thanks,” Scott smiled softly, weakly. “I’m not sure I’ll be able to eat all of this much less another plate.”

With an indifferent shrug Laura glanced at Mary, “You coming into the kitchen?”

“Can I eat with Scott?”

“As long as you’re not a pest,” Laura declared easily and turned to walk away.

Smiling at Scott she moved to the back of the couch and folded herself up so her chin was resting on her upright knees, her arms folded around her legs, and an impish grin on her face.

“You sure you’re not going to get hungry kid?” Scott asked before biting down into a mouthful of noodles and sauce.

“No,” Mary replied seriously her gaze steady, without being a burden.

Shaking his head Scott focused on his dinner.


Half an hour later Mary carried the plate back into the kitchen, her hands wrapped around the plate carefully, “Mommy Scott’s sleepin’ again.”

“Good. He needs to,” Laura stated as she took the plate and scraped it off before rinsing it and filing it in the dishwasher.

Moving past the girls she checked on Scott before focusing on the routine of their daily lives.




The soft creak of the old house settling barely outdid the cry of the wind as Laura made her way down the stairs. Pausing in the doorway to the living room she leaned against the doorjamb and focused on the man who’d taken up residence on her sofa.

Rubbing her forehead she sighed, in the weeks he’d been living under her roof she’d woken many nights to the familiar smell of sorrow, grief, pain, disillusionment, and anger. After the first night she’d tracked it to him, and tonight was no different. The soft murmur of his voice, the agony wrapped around the name whispered in his dreams seemed loud to her sensitive hearing.

Reaching up she tugged on the chain that still hung around her neck, the tags at the bottom etched with words, numbers indications of the horrific atrocities she’d endured for years.

In the four years since her escape with her daughter Lisa, and the baby she’d given birth to shortly there after she’d only reinforced her original idea that trust was a slim commodity that wasn’t to be wasted. Scott Summers was the only man she’d met since that instilled a dangerous amount of trust within her.

He never asked for anything, didn’t treat her like some sort of slave to him, and was always unfailingly polite and somewhat distant. He never raised his voice at the girls’ antics, nor showed any displeasure for their limitless energy and enthusiasm.

With a quick shake of her head, she pushed away from the doorjamb and headed for the stairs, it would be an early morning for her.


The rustle of silk woke Scott who shifted, listening intently for any indication of why he’d awakened. Recognizing the sounds of silk rubbing against flesh he sighed and sat up just as the edge of a silk robe disappeared through the doorway heading for the stairwell.

Pushing the blankets off him he rose to his feet, glad for the small miracle that was his visor. With his glasses broken he’d been wearing it so long he’d actually gotten used to sleeping in it, showering in it, basically living with it completely.

Leaning against the doorjamb he watched as Laura disappeared up the stairs, a strange, and achingly familiar and yet totally alien tightening in his stomach. It had been a long time since he’d felt that buzz of attraction, too long since he’d actually felt alive enough for it and he wondered why now.

Glancing out the darkened window at the rather distressing blankness Scott frowned as he realized that it was starting to snow, the flakes were growing in intensity and size. The appearance of the falling whiteness reminded Scott of what he’d lost and when. It had been nearly a year since Jean’s death, and with a start Scott realized the pain had faded to a more manageable, more tolerable level.

Sighing he pushed away from the wood and headed for the bay window to stare out into the snow. The peaceful, clean appearance of the snow hid a secret, hid the uncompromising attitude of winter. The harshness of the season was hid by a wave of innocence that gave lie to his nightmares.

He could still hear the water coming; hear the roaring of it as it flooded over the woman he loved so desperately. He remembered begging, pleading for her to reconsider and knew deep in his chest that she wouldn’t back down – she’d made a choice and nothing he could have said would alter her decision.

“You okay?” the soft whisper of sound had Scott turning to face Laura who stood there watching him.

“Thought you were back in bed,” Scott said softly turning away from her and staring back out the window.

“I was at the top of the stairs when I heard you get up. Thought I’d come back and check on you.”

“I’m fine,” Scott replied softly, his face stoic and emotionless.

“Who is she?” Laura asked moving closer to him. “The girl you dream about,” she explained at his sudden dark look and tensing of muscles.

“She was my wife,” Scott muttered crossly, “she died a year ago.”

“You still miss her.”

“I’ve been missing her for a long, long time,” Scott admitted quietly. “I don’t remember the last time we were actually together, we were a family.”

“Why would you feel that way?” Laura asked, “Granted you can be an annoying, you’re hard to understand most of the time because you’re distant and yet you’re unfailingly polite. When I first met you, I found you to be rather annoying, ungrateful, but not unnoteworthy. Still you’ve proven you’re hard working, loyal – if you are a bit of a prude.”

“Prude?” Scott gaped at her, noticing the sly smile she was trying to hide. “So what changed your mind? In the past five weeks since I took up residence on your couch name one thing that’s changed? I’m still the same man who talked your kid outta a tree.”

“Yeah but you’ve helped out around here, you haven’t gotten upset with the girls at all. You helped Lisa with her homework last week, Mary keeps bringing you spiders and bugs and you don’t have a fit about it. I don’t know many who would tolerate that.”

Scott shrugged, “They’re kids trying to fit in. Nothing wrong with that.”

“No, no there isn’t,” With a soft nod Laura turned and walked away silently, disappearing back into the shadows that filled the house.

Turning back to the window Scott stared out unseeing as he processed Laura’s words. Her usual attitude towards him was barely tolerant, or borderline disdain and yet she’d given him the impression with this conversation that maybe, just maybe there would come a day when they could be friends if nothing else!


“Laura, you got a minute?” Scott asked walking into the office of the shop a frown on his face and the mangled part in his hand.

“Sure Scott,” Laura glanced up at him, sensing his unease with her and yet under it was a darker, more lethal emotion plaguing them. “What’s up?”

“That black Dodge that came in this morning? They wanted a new starter put in but it ain’t the problem, it’s this thing.”

“What is it?” Laura frowned at the device in Scott’s hand.

“It used to be an alternator,” Scott shrugged sinking into the chair opposite of the desk, “How they managed to get it in this shape I will never know but it needs to be replaced.”

“Well replace it and I’ll charge accordingly,” Laura declared, “After all you’re the one with the knowledge, not the customer.”

“Won’t they get mad?”

“Mrs. Hennesy won’t care.”

Scott grinned at the mention of the older woman that everyone loved although she was a bit of an airhead, “So you wanna grab something for lunch?” Scott asked quickly seeing Laura’s soft smile at the mention of the grandmotherly type.

“Lunch?” Laura frowned at him before shrugging, “Is it my turn to buy lunch?”

“No, I was asking if you wanted to go with me to get lunch,” Scott declared with a grin, “After all you didn’t eat breakfast.”

Rolling her eyes Laura shook her head, “And you think that going for a lunch date with you would be a good idea?”

“Sure,” Scott declared, “It’s not like I’m asking you to bear my children or anything.”

Picking up the faint, almost unnoticeable tinge of anger and pain at the statement Laura leaned back in her seat, “Would that be a bad thing?”

“What?”

“Bearing your child? What’s got your emotions in a twist over it?”

Scott shrugged; he didn’t really want to tell anyone about the failure of having his own wife refuse to have his kids. Staring at Laura who waited patiently he sighed, “Jean didn’t want kids. Said she didn’t want to bring another mutant into a world with such hostility and prejudice.”

Laura nodded and shifted her gaze darting to the picture of her two girls on her desk, “The world is full of bigotry and hatred Scott, if you wait for it to be perfect you’ll be at the gates talkin’ to a certain saint.”

Scott nodded, “That why you had two kids?”

The fleeting look of pain followed by an unreadable look that crossed her face told Scott he’d stepped on something that was better left alone, “You don’t have..”

“Lisa was an experiment,” Laura whispered softly, sadly, pain in her gaze. “One that they weren’t sure would be successful – it was but they couldn’t force her mutation to present itself so they left her in my cell.”

“And Mary?” Scott watched her carefully, noting the paler, the tension in her body as she shifted in her chair.

“I don’t know. After Lisa was born there was a period of no contact then..” with a shudder she rose to pad over to grab a coffee. “Mary’s dad could be one of a hundred men’s child. I don’t know, never want to know.”

Scott nodded, “You’re strong though, you survived that place.”

Laura shrugged, “Did I? I’m in a different prison now, location is different, guards are different, but the effect is the same. I’ll never be what they wanted, and Lisa will never fully utilize the mutations she was given.”

“Mary doesn’t seem to be affected by the stay in the lab.”

“She wasn’t born in a lab,” Laura admitted, “Now you said something about lunch? What’ll it be? Pizza? Chinese?”

“You’re not the guilty one Laura,” Scott declared softly, “You’re the victim.”

Laura smirked coldly, a familiar feral expression crossing her face before it was shuttered away, “No, my babies were the victims.”

Leaving it alone for the moment Scott followed Laura out of her office, setting the part down and heading for the front doors, “Barney we’re gonna go grab lunch, you want anything? My treat.” Laura offered.

“No I’m good. The missus packed me a good lunch today,” Barney grinned at them, “Have fun though.”

With a soft chuckle Scott followed Laura out of the building, catching Barney’s wink in the process.

Lunch was silent, each lost in their own thoughts, lost in memories better left unspoken. The drive back to the shop was filled with only muted grunts of conversation even as they tried not to linger on what they had revealed.




“Mom?” Lisa’s voice on the phone had Laura grinning.

“Hey darlin’ what can I do for you?”

“Can Mary and I go over to Angela’s house after school?” Lisa asked excitedly, “She’s got some new bugs in her collection and Mary’s all but crawling out of her skin to see them.”

“Is Angela’s mom gonna give you a lift home?”

“I imagine. I’ll ask and let you know..”

“No, if she isn’t please just give me a call and I’ll come pick you up.”

“Okay,” Lisa giggled, “Gotta run Mom, thanks a lot. Love ya.”

“Love you to,” Laura whispered as the line went dead. Hanging up the phone she sighed and blinked, her girls were growing up, were developing into assured, confident young ladies and it hurt. Soon they wouldn’t even need her even if Mary was still only in preschool.

Glancing up at the appearance of a shadow in the door she started at the man standing staring there, “Something you wanted? This is a restricted area.”

“Just wanted to see if my truck was finished? Brought in two weeks ago.”

“No it isn’t,” Laura declared rising to her feet, “You still owe me two grand for the last work that was done and like I told you when you brought it in – until the outstanding balance is paid you will not get your work done.”

“Listen you stupid..”

“Watch it,” Laura glared at him, “I can throw you and your truck outta here and I will.”

“Just fix the fuckin’ thing Mutie – some of us have real lives.”

Glaring at him as he walked away she snarled low in her throat and clenched her fists, the man deserved to get a shit kicking but she wasn’t going to do it. The soft fall of a hand on her shoulder had her jumping and whirling to face the threat only to come face to face with Scott Summers, “What?”

“You okay?” Scott asked only too aware of that annoying sensation in his gut and the relative lack of distance between their bodies.

“Fine, he just pisses me off. His Holier than Thou attitude is so big it’s surprising anyone can be in the same room as he is for more than a second without suffocating!”

Scott nodded and reached up to tuck a strand of hair behind her ear, “Don’t worry ‘bout him. He’s not the only customer you’ve got.”

“He hates mutants Scott, most of my clientele..”

“Will survive without his bigotry,” Scott whispered softly, his eyes tracing over her features carefully, “You let him get to you, and he wins. It’s hard, I know that, I’ve dealt with his kind and it hurts on a deep emotional level but you can’t let him win.”

“I know I guess I just forgot that for a moment,” Laura exhaled and shook her head, “Were you looking for something?”

“No,” Scott sighed, she looked ready to explode into anger and something told him that wasn’t a good thing. “Come on its closing time. Let’s go pick up the girls and go for pizza.”

“The girls are going to their friends place for a while,” Laura declared crossly, “And I’m not into having a pizza.”

Nodding at the stubborn streak Scott hid a grin, “Well I am and since you’re the one with the wheels you’re gonna go to.”

Glaring at him Laura allowed herself to be pulled along as he ushered her out the door before locking up and directing her towards her wheels. He didn’t think pizza would sooth her anger but he figured it was best to let her have a chance to cool off before the girls got back, and what better way to do that than a busy public place.



“Hi Mom,” Lisa’s happy chatter had Scott glancing up from where he was starting a fire in the fireplace.

“She’s upstairs in the bath,” Scott declared as Mary trotted past her sister and came over to him, “You two hungry?”

“No Angela fed us,” Lisa declared watching him, “Sooo what did you guys do while we were gone?”

“Went for pizza,” Scott smirked at the girl, “Had a drink and came home. Your Mom didn’t want to be on the roads after dark, or not be here when you got home.”

Lisa shook her head and plunked herself down on the couch, “She likes you.”

“I like you to.”

Rolling her eyes Lisa stared at him for a second, “Well we are a three for one deal so to speak but that ain’t what I meant.”

“Oh? What did you mean then?” Scott asked absently as he tossed more kindling past the grate.

“I meant she’s attracted to you, she likes you as in the big ‘L’ likes. You like her to?”

Scott flushed slightly, “She’s an attractive lady.”

“Do you wanna have sex with her?” Lisa asked innocently, ignoring the strangled sounds coming from Scott as he fixed his gaze on her.

“That’s really none of your business.”

“Maybe, maybe not,” Lisa shrugged as Mary scampered off after one of the bugs she’d found in the woodpile, “But then she is my Mom and we’ve been alone for a long time.”

“Your mother is a very beautiful woman,” Scott started and shrugged, “Any man would want her, I’m no different.”

“Yeah? So you want a casual fuck or you thinking about more?” Lisa asked pulling her gum from her mouth and stretching it before looking back at him.

“I don’t know,” Scott answered honestly, “I’m a little confused right now.”

“Confused? About what?” Lisa demanded, “Either you want her or you don’t.”

“My wife died a year ago,” Scott shrugged turning back to the fire, “I don’t want to just jump into something and get hurt again.”

“Oh,” Lisa frowned for a moment obviously running something through in her head, “is that the only reason you don’t make a move?”

Scott grinned and looked at her, “You ask a lot of questions for someone so young.”

Lisa giggled as Mary crawled across the floor and into Scott’s lap, “Sure do. If I don’t ask how you gonna know what’s happening?”

“Why don’t you go see if the coffee’s finished or something?” Scott suggested, “After all I can’t tell you what I don’t know.”

“Oh I think you know,” Lisa declared rising to her feet, “I think you’re just worried about getting hurt again and are too scared to make a move. If you want my advice, a glass of wine, a roaring fire, and snuggle with her on the couch – who knows you might get a kiss.”

“Or a broken nose,” Scott muttered as the girl walked away.

“Nope,” Mary smirked up at him, “Mommy wikes you lots.”

“You’re slipping there darlin’,” Scott declared easily. “So what did Angela have to show you?”

“Ooh new bugs,” Mary shifted, “She wanted to know if they needed anything or if they were unhappy and they’re not. They love being in her house, love the way she cares about them.”

Scott chuckled at the varying degrees of speech that came from the girl, one minute she acted her age, the next she often spoke more eloquently than her sister. “Why don’t you run along and color me a picture or something. I’m gonna finish making the fire then we’ll roast some marshmallows.”

Mary nodded happily and hurried off leaving Scott smiling at her before turning back to what he’d been doing. A few minutes later Laura wrapped in a big, fluffy red bathrobe walked into the room followed by Mary who carried a huge bag of marshmallows and Lisa who smirked at Scott as she handed him the roasting picks.

“You want one?” Scott asked holding up the bag for Laura.

“Sure, Lisa did you grab the graham crackers and chocolate dipping sauce?”

“Already got it Mom,” Lisa declared with a grin as she winked at Scott, “You working tomorrow?”

“No,” Laura shook her head, “We’re closed for tomorrow.”

Lisa nodded slowly, her white teeth sinking into the melted goo in her hand as she thought of what to do the next day, and how to get her mother out of the limbo she’d placed herself in with Mr. Scott Summers.

“Can Scott tuck me in tonight?” Mary asked suddenly catching the look Lisa was throwing her an hour later, the remnants of their smores feast evident atop the coffee table.

“If he doesn’t mind sweetie,” Laura declared running a hand through her still wet hair, “But it’s not bedtime yet.”

“I know but it was a big day Mommy,” she yawned, “All those bugs and..”

“Okay,” Laura smiled, “Who am I to say you can’t go to bed?”

Hiding her smile Lisa winked at her sister and rose swiftly, “I’m gonna go have a shower then hit the sack myself. Night everyone.”

“Night Lisa,” Scott rose smoothly to his feet, “Come on squirt, I’ll tuck you in.”

“Thanks Scott,” Mary declared as he led her up the stairs.

Hiding a grin Laura reached for her coffee cup and took a sip, Lisa and Mary had accepted Scott into their lives with ease, and had included him in most of their usual activities, something he appeared to be grateful of – he obviously cared about both girls and it showed in everything he did with them.

She had to admit that she had accepted him to, despite the rather rough start that they had gotten off to. Shifting she tilted her head and stared into the flames, the knots and butterflies that often occupied her stomach whenever he was around had only intensified to the point where she’d been forced to admit that there was more than just a physical attraction and that terrified her.

Lost in her thoughts she didn’t hear him walk back into the room until he settled next to her and stared into the flames for a few seconds before holding up a hairbrush, “You forget it?”

Chuckling softly Laura shook her head, “Yeah I did. Here, I’d better do that before my hair gets knotted completely.”

“Sit up a bit,” Scott shifted so she was between his thighs, “I’ll do it.”

“But..”

“Shhh,” Scott whispered, “Think of it as payback for all the good things you’ve given me.”

“Like what?” Laura demanded softly, “An opportunity to get your head pounded?”

“A job, a friend, two beautiful girls that are smart, and stubborn, and look exactly like their mother.”

Laura chuckled, “I think they’re beautiful, don’t mean you have to say it.”

“Why not?” Scott asked as he pulled the brush through her tangled curls, “You’re a beautiful woman.”

“Beauty isn’t always a positive thing,” Laura whispered softly, painfully, relaxing back into his warmth as the brush tines massaged her scalp gently. “Sometimes it’s a drawback.”

Knowing what she meant Scott offered her a gentle hug, “That’s on them not on you.”

“Doesn’t matter,” Laura shrugged off his attempts to sooth, “Remind me to give you a raise if you’re willing to brush my hair all the time.”

“None needed,” Scott muttered softly, his fingers trailing through her curls as they dried.

With the crackle and snap of the flames on the dry wood as the only sound in the room Laura blinked at the relaxed, almost cared for feeling that tugged at her eyelids. Shifting, she leaned back against his chest and sighed as the brush continued slowly, steadily.

Blinking suddenly at the soft shake of a hand on her shoulder Laura bolted upright and glanced around only to find a warm, soothing hand rubbing her back, “Easy.”

“Sorry, I didn’t mean to fall asleep on you,” Laura stretched and yawned, already making to get up from the couch.

“No, stay,” Scott said pulling her back against his chest, “Lets just sit here and watch the flames for a while.”

“I should get to bed,” Laura whispered softly, uneasily.

“In due time,” Scott replied pulling her back against him and shifting so that they were resting together on the couch, his arms wrapped around her. For the first time in a very long time he felt at peace, felt at ease and he wasn’t worried about it.

Sighing Laura snuggled closer to him, barely aware of him pulling the afghan off the back of the couch and onto her legs. Watching the dancing of the flames she sighed, “It’s been a long time since I’ve been this relaxed.”

“Yeah, I know the feeling,” Scott murmured. “Do you ever wonder about what the girls think about us?”

“Us?” Laura frowned slightly, “They adore you, why would they have a problem with..”

“What do you think about us?” Scott interrupted her.

“Define us. Do you mean our working relationship, or you staying here, or..”

“Us as in I want to get to know you on a more personal level,” Scott sighed softly, “It’s been years since I’ve felt this alive, this much attraction for anyone. It’s scary and yet part of me welcomes it, part of me wants those feelings.”

Laura nodded carefully, “I can’t be her replacement Scott. I’m not a shadow..”

“I don’t want to replace her,” Scott admitted pulling away to look into her eyes, “I want more than I had with her. I want to know I’m important, that my life is worth something, that I’m not the other half of a perfect picture.”

“You want reality instead of make believe,” Laura declared staring at him. “But can you handle the reality of being a part of my life?”

“What do you mean?”

Laura shifted and sighed, “I spent years in that lab, and I don’t even remember half of what they did to me. I don’t remember what it was like before the lab, what sort of person I was. All I know is what I am now, and to be honest there are moments when I’m not sure that I like the person I’ve become.”

“Why not?”

“Because I’d kill for my kids, for the only things I care about. Because there’s a darkness within me that pulls at me sometimes until all I want to do is hurt them, hurt those that hurt me. ”

“I wouldn’t want you any other way. You’re stubborn, proud, independent, and as tenacious as a bull-dog. Sorta like someone else I know,” Scott chuckled as he realized whom she reminded him of, “Only he’s a lot more blood and guts than you are.”

“You just haven’t seen me in the right..”

“Laura I don’t care okay? I don’t care that you’re willing to risk death for those girls or that you’re the epitome of a mystery because we’ve all got secrets. The truth is I’d rather get to know a real woman like you than spend my life mired in memories of a marriage that was falling apart faster than the freshly baked cookies the girls steal all the time.”

Laura stared at him hard for a moment, “What if I’m not ready for anything beyond this right now? Are you sure you don’t want a woman you can have sex with.”

Scott grinned sheepishly, “Sex with you will be worth the wait,” he declared hugging her.

“I’ll take your word for it,” Laura sighed breathing out slowly, “It start snowing yet?”

“Not yet,” Scott glanced out the windows, “But its coming.”

Nodding Laura forced herself to relax, letting the tension just bleed from her body even as she sank into the warmth of his body.

Long after her breathing had evened out Scott sat staring into the flames, his mind racing faster than his heart. For the first time in a long, long time – since the beginning of his relationship with Jean he felt alive. Running his hand up and down her arm he sighed, in time he’d decide what to tell Charles but for now, he couldn’t even think of what was happening half a continent away – it had no relevance on his world at the moment.



“Come on Barney you owe me a favor and this is the only thing I’d ever ask,” Scott needled the older man who stood looking at him like he was insane.

“I ain’t..”

“You know them; they trust you and you’re not exactly scared of either of them. All I’m asking for is a few hours – just long enough for me to kidnap Laura and head into Biloxi for the evening. We’ll be back before dawn and you and your wife can have some fun with the girls.”

“What does Laura say about it?” Barney asked weakly.

“Laura doesn’t know, that’s the point. This is supposed to be a surprise, and early Christmas present. Besides you and I know she can’t exactly go shopping for the girls here, half the store owners watch her like they expect her to steal their life’s work from under their noses.”

“Fine, I’ll watch them but on one condition,” Barney scrubbed at his nose, “You pick something up for me.”

“As long as it’s not a sex toy I’ll do it,” Scott agreed despite the fact that Barney owed him more favors than Logan owned cigars.

“I ordered something from Birmingham Jewelers a few months back and it needs to be picked up by the end of the week. I was gonna head over and pick it up but…”

“I’ll pick it up as long as I have the address.”

Barney scribbled it down and handed it to him, “It’s paid for already so all you have to do is go in and ask for it.”

“Thanks,” Scott smiled happily at Barney and with a rap of his knuckles on the desk top he headed for the bay to finish working on the piece of crap ford that was sitting there leaking oil all over the floor.

Watching him walk away Barney shook his head and reached for the phone. The man was insane enough to want to date Laura Metcalf, he obviously had no idea what that meant – not that Barney did either but he’d seen her when threatened and it hadn’t been pretty.

“Maybe he’ll do her a world of good,” he muttered punching in his own phone number and listening to it ring.

“Hello?”

“Hey darlin’,” Barney smirked into the phone, “Hope you don’t have plans for tomorrow night cause we’re babysitting.”

“Babysitting?” the word was drawn out in disbelief. “Who are we watching Barney, you know I hate..”

“Lisa and Mary Metcalf,” Barney chuckled, “Seems old Red Eyes wants to take Laura into Biloxi for dinner.”

The soft warm chuckle that echoed in his ear told him his wife agreed with his assessment, “You do realize that Laura may have an objection?”

“Oh I don’t think she’ll get a chance to voice it,” Barney said watching through the open door as Scott and Laura stood talking over the front end of the ford, “Seems to me she’s just as hung up on him as he is on her.”

“Good, she deserves to be happy.”

“Yeah, she does. Love you, see you tonight.”

“See you tonight baby,” the soft click had Barney hanging up as he thought of the current situation. While not privy to Laura’s past he’d gleaned a few things from life, from the tags that hung around her throat, and the pain in her eyes. She’d suffered hell at the hands of the military and she deserved to have a little happiness.



“No,” Laura shook her head firmly, “We can’t. What are we going to do with the girls? They’ll want to come along and I’m not going to have them out at all hours Scott..”

“The girls are staying with Barney and his wife, and we are going shopping and to dinner. I want to spend the night with you somewhere other than the house or the shop Laura. We need a chance to be adults without having to worry, granted we’ll both worry like crazy because they aren’t there with us but still. It’s gonna be fun, we’ll get a chance to talk, to spend some quality time together with no strings attached.”

“But, I’ve never left the girls behind before.”

“You’ve got to give them some space Laura,” Scott soothed, “You’re a lot stronger than you think and Lisa and Mary are both bright, street smart kids. They know we’re not gonna abandon them.”

Biting her lip Laura frowned, “How do you know Barney’ll take ‘em?”

“Already asked him to,” Scott smirked at her, “I can be sneaky when I want to be.”

Shaking her head Laura smiled, “I’m not dressing up!”

Scott chuckled and trailed a greasy finger down her nose, “Yes you will. It’s gonna be great, we’ll leave after work tomorrow and head up to Biloxi. Unless the boss will give us the day off..”

“I must be insane. Barney can’t handle the shop all by himself,” Laura sighed, “I’ll bend a little though. Half a day. We’ll leave after lunch.”

“Good,” Scott watched her roll her eyes and head for her office, “I’ll drive.”

“Get back to work Summers,” Laura retorted stepping into her office, “You’re wasting time.”

Laughing softly Scott turned his attention back to the vehicle he was working on. A nice quiet evening with a real woman, some wine, a little dancing, maybe a kiss or two...he couldn’t wait.







Pulling the dark silk wrap a little higher Laura followed Scott across the floor of the restaurant, her gaze scanning the room quickly, searching for the exits, and any possible threat to herself.

Settling at the table she smiled up at him as he brushed his hand across her bare shoulder. The soft flicker of candles warmed the air as well as lit it, soft classical music played in the background, loud enough to be heard, low enough not to be annoying, and the soft hum of conversations around them filled the void.

“Wine?” the waiter, a young dark haired girl dressed in a tux asked holding a menu.

“Yes please,” Scott smiled at Laura who merely shrugged and remained silent. He knew she didn’t drink in excess; in fact one glass would be enough for her. A few minutes later he handed the menu back and ordered before leaning a little closer to Laura, “Well? You enjoying yourself so far?”

“Actually I am,” Laura admitted with a sexy little smile, “Makes me wonder what you want in exchange for this?”

Scott shrugged, “A good night kiss?”

“A kiss – nothing..”

“You said you weren’t ready for the sex part yet, I’m honoring that statement. Now relax, let’s enjoy ourselves.”

Giggling softly Laura flushed and nodded her agreement. She would enjoy herself tonight and worry about things tomorrow.


Glancing upwards at the fat flakes of white that were falling Laura smiled softly even as she let her eyes drift shut and the snow land on her lashes and nose. She couldn’t remember ever feeling so young, so carefree as she did now. The worry of life was absent, her thoughts however hadn’t strayed from the girls all night and while she knew they were safe she couldn’t help but worry.

A glance at Scott revealed the same worry she held even though she couldn’t see his eyes. The pinched look around his mouth, the tension within his body all told of a bit of concern and she loved that about him. He was conscientious without being overbearing.

“What do you say we head home?” Scott asked softly glancing around at the snow falling and the amount of traffic in the parking lot. “The girls probably are asleep by now but we could wake them up.”

Laura shook her head, “Barney and his wife are probably in bed by now. We’ll pick them up in the morning.”

Scott nodded, “Come on, I’ll drive.”

Laura nodded, the unease, the hesitation to let Scott have control of something she routinely dealt with was negligent, almost non-existent and on a deep personal level it scared her.

Slipping into the passenger side of the car she buckled up and watched him round the front of the car before opening the door. The gust of cold winter air had her shivering slightly even as he smiled at her and started the engine.

Reaching out she kissed his cheek softly before settling back into her seat, “Thank you.”

“For what?”

“A good time. I enjoyed myself.”

Scott smiled at her and put the car into gear. The drive home was filled with comfortable silence and warmth, there was no hurry, no great need to spoil the mood – instead it was as though they were in their own little world where a look a touch could communicate more effectively than anyone would have ever believed.



“Come on sleepyhead,” Scott chuckled as he nudged Laura who’d fallen asleep about half way back home. Lifting her easily he nudged the door closed and headed for the front door.

Carrying her up the stairs to her room, he stripped her shoes off and covered her with the blanket from the foot of the bed before heading down stairs to lock up before he retired.


Jerking awake Laura barely heard the sounds of her own screams, of her own harsh breathing – instead she heard the clunking of locks, the rattle of chains, the grating laughter of men intent on one thing and one thing only. The soft echo of a baby’s cries in the background only added to her terror even as she sat shaking, her body drenched in sweat.

“It’s just a dream,” she whispered softly, inhaling the familiar smells of her laundry detergent, of the soft perfume she wore, even as the stench of her own fear nearly overpowered them.

Blinking harshly at the burning in her eyes she glanced up sharply as the door burst open and a shadow appeared in her line of vision. Instantly on guard she snarled a low warning even as the long, tapered, claws slid out of her right hand in a move meant to intimidate.

“Laura? You okay?” Scott’s voice broke the darkness a moment before he stepped into the room, the light from the hallway spilling over the carpet line fine champagne.

Shaking her head Laura sat as still as stone even as his weight dipped the mattress, “I’m sorry I didn’t mean to wake you.”

“No worries. You okay?”

“No,” Laura breathed shakily, “I..I don’t know why tonight. I haven’t a nightmare in ages..”

“Maybe there was something that set it off,” Scott suggested calmly reaching out to take her hand in his, mindful of her claws but unconcerned, he trusted her to avoid killing him.

“Hey its okay, you’re safe now. I’m not about to let anything..”

“She saw it,” Laura whispered glancing at Scott before her gaze skittered away, tears making everything blurry.

“Who saw what Laura?” Scott whispered softly, uneasily.

“Lisa, she saw what they did to me. She knows what its like to be in a lab and I don’t know how to take that pain away from her.”

“Laura she was a baby, how can..”

“She’s fourteen now Scott,” Laura inhaled shakily, “She was ten when I escaped with her, I was seven months pregnant with Mary – Lisa knows.”

Scott pulled her closer to him and held her tightly, “You weren’t dreaming about you were you? You were dreaming about them hurting her, hurting your baby.”

Laura nodded even as her breath exploded on a sob, “I couldn’t protect her, I couldn’t make them stop hurting her no matter how much I begged and pleaded.”

“It was just a dream Laura,” Scott whispered his fingers tangled in her hair, “A terrible, horrifying dream but a dream none the less. You’ll make it.”

Laura sobbed harder, clinging to him even as she tried to control her emotions. She couldn’t deal with this anymore, she couldn’t force the memories out of her mind and it was killing her slowly.

“Come on,” Scott shifted, moving so that he was cuddling her, “Lie down with me, lets get some sleep. We’ll go pick Lisa and Mary up first thing and spend the day together.”

Nodding her head in agreement, Laura allowed his soft, nonsensical murmurs sooth her back into sleep even as she clung to him. Tomorrow would drive the demons away at least temporarily.


Watching Laura the next day Scott knew that the previous nights horrors were still with her but she didn’t complain instead she acted as though there wasn’t anything wrong. Like she was a normal, independent woman who was taking care of her family only he picked up on the way she clung to the girls a little tighter, the way she often smoothed Lisa’s hair back from her face and cuddled Mary on her lap.

“She had a bad one last night didn’t she?” Lisa whispered as Mary led her mother over to a branch that was crawling with insects.

“Yes,” Scott replied softly, “She got scared for you.”

Lisa nodded, “She used to have them all the time when we first got out. I think its cause she knew that I saw what they did to her at night, saw the way they treated her. I remember her coming back sometimes covered in blood and still healing wounds only to be tossed in like yesterdays trash. She blames herself for that.”

“She doesn’t want you to know that, to remember that time of your life.”

Lisa smiled sadly and glanced at him, “But I have to remember it Scott. I need to know what the darkness is like so I can treasure the light. Mom doesn’t understand that so I don’t talk about it, but I know that there’s a portion of the shit and abuse she suffered that was because of me, she took the treatment intended for me.”

“What do you mean?” Scott whispered softly, hoping to keep her talking.

“I’m a girl Scott, and a mutant. Regardless of age, anyone at a lab is fair game and Momma knew that. She taught me how to hide in plain sight, how to fool them into thinking I wasn’t there.. And it cost her. That little rebellion cost her in blood, sweat, tears, and a second child.”

“Laura doesn’t blame you.”

“No,” Lisa shrugged, “She doesn’t. She blames the men that hurt her, that tortured her, and well she should. I know she wants me to look at the world with rose colored glasses but I can’t. I’ve seen the darkness, embraced it – like you have, like she has. I’ll protect Mary with my life because of all of us I want her to have the red-tinged outlook. I want her to see the good in things not the evil that people can do.”

Scott nodded and sighed, “You’re a brave girl Lisa, and one that deserves to have a life. You don’t need to forget, you live the life you have not the one that you’re expected to. You have the same outlook as Mary does, just tempered a little.”

“Does it bother you that she dreams of that stuff?” Lisa asked softly.

Scott sighed; did it bother him that Laura had suffered untold horrors? Yes, but not because it made her dirty as some would believe. It bothered him because he was falling in love with her and it angered him that anyone would harm the beautiful woman he watched constantly. “The dreams don’t, the memories do. I don’t want her to hurt anymore.”

Lisa nodded, “You love her.”

“Yes I do,” Scott glanced at Lisa for a second before turning back to the picture out the window. “Just as I love you and Mary who if I may add is the only person I know that bring insects out of hibernation in the middle of December in Montana!”

Giggling Lisa nodded, “We adore you, and we want you to be happy. I’m glad that you’re here, that you came into our lives.”

“So am I darlin’,” Scott said taking a sip from his coffee, “So am I.”

“Would you take me to the mall later?”

“Your Mom wants a nice quiet day with you and Mary here,” Scott stated quickly. “Don’t you think you should..”

“Oh I’m not going to do anything I shouldn’t,” Lisa grinned at him. “Its just we’ve got a Christmas party coming up and..”

“We’ll go tomorrow okay. Not today.”

“Tomorrow’s good.”

Shaking his head Scott watched her hurry off, a swing to her step despite the weight of her memories. Turning back to where Laura was talking to Mary he sighed, there was no use hiding it. Laura’s story, her torment mirrored Logan’s in many ways and he had to admit that perhaps he’d been a bit harder on Logan than he should have been.

Thinking of Logan he glanced at the phone then shook his head, he didn’t want anyone from New York to know where he was, or what he was doing. He wanted to be completely separate from his past; after all there was really nothing there to call him back. And so much to keep him here.






Smothering a yawn Laura measured the coffee before putting it in the filter and glanced into the living room. Candles in varying shapes and sizes filled the room and lined the mantel along with the twisting, turning rounds of ivy and tinsel. Poinsettias tossed their bright red color into the room from the stone flooring around the fireplace, along with the bright green of the two small, young spruce trees Scott had bought for Lisa and Mary.

The massive tree Scott had insisted upon was sitting with the lights on, decorated to within an inch of its artificial life, massive piles of gifts were stacked around it, the bright paper and bows a reminder of the happiness of the season.

Turning the coffee maker on she leaned against the doorjamb and studied the tree carefully. It was the first time in all the years she’d been away from the lab that she’d done such a big tree, mostly she just bought a live one a few days before Christmas decorated it with whatever the girls wanted and put a few gifts for the girls under. Walking across the floor she moved a gift aside and smirked at the name tag, “Only Scott would waste money on me,” she muttered softly as she tucked the box back under the tree, pulling one of the girls’ out.

Standing up she stiffened at the feel of warm, firm hands sliding around her waist before she relaxed. Turning her head she stared at the man smiling softly at her, “Merry Christmas.”

“It is,” Scott replied with a grin, “Checking out the booty?”

“No. Just making sure the girls’ gifts are all ready. Coffee’ll be a few more minutes.”

“Not worried about coffee,” Scott said turning her in his arms, “How you feeling?”

Laura flushed softly and glanced away, the nightmares had faded again to be replaced by hot, sexual dreams featuring Scott and they made her slightly nervous. “Okay, tired but that’s okay. It was a late night.”

“You stayed up after I went to bed?” Scott asked softly, resting his forehead against hers.

“Couldn’t sleep. First time in years that Christmas was this big a deal for us.”

“It should be, not just for Lisa and Mary but for you to. Now I distinctly remember hanging some mistletoe up above our heads, how about I steal a kiss?”

Laura grinned at him and tilted her head, “You think you can steal one?”

“Mm, steal? No, have oh yeah.”

Giggling softly Laura shrugged, “What are you waiting for – New Years Day?”

Bending his head slowly, Scott kissed her softly, his lips firm yet gentle as he coaxed her into responding, into letting him past the barriers that she had built to protect her. The soft shuddered moan from her lips had him pulling her a little closer even as he nudged at her lips with his tongue.

Openly responding Laura wrapped her arms around his neck as he deepened the kiss, his tongue stroking over hers. The pressure of his hand on her lower back as they slid down to press her hips against his only made her moan as she felt the evidence of his arousal. Pulling back slightly she stared into his glasses, her eyes slightly crossed, “Mm you think we’ve got time for another one?”

Scott smiled at her, “We’ll make time,” he whispered softly and bent his head back to hers his blood pounding in his ears as he felt her naked response to his touch.


“Ooh MOTHER!” Lisa’s outraged tone had both of them pulling apart to turn and stare at the young woman standing holding her sister’s hand and glaring with mock anger at them, “Can’t you wait until we’re out of the room?”

“I do love you but there are moments,” Laura laughed softly, “Morning.”

“Morning. So what’s for breakfast?”

“Pancakes and eggs,” Laura declared and headed for the kitchen.

“Uh aren’t we going to open..” Scott started in shock at the way nobody seemed in a big hurry to tear into the wrapping paper.

“We never do first thing. Like I said Christmas isn’t really that big..”

“We’re going to open at least a couple of presents Laura,” Scott stated calmly, “We’re making new traditions today.”

“Okay, you and the girls open the gifts I’ll start breakfast.”

Scott shook his head and laughed as Laura skipped out on him. Turning to look at the girls he raised an eyebrow, “Soo who wants to go first?”

“Me,” Mary cried and launched herself across the room to take a gift from Scott’s fingers.

“Tsk, tsk,” Lisa whispered at him, “Sneaky Scott, really sneaky.”

“Hey I was on number two when you showed up,” Scott teased back as he tugged on a lock of dark hair, “Now then you want this present or should..”

“Give it here,” Lisa snatched it away haughtily, “Just so you know we think you should go for number three before breakfast is ready.”

Smiling at the words Scott nodded and headed for the kitchen where Laura was busy making pancakes, “You want a hand?”

“Uh no,” Laura glanced up, “Go have fun, open gifts..”

“I’ve got one in mind I wanna open,” Scott grumbled as he moved to stand behind her, his arms wrapped tightly around her waist, “And she’s trying to avoid me.”

Laughing softly she turned to look at him, “The girls..”

“Are busy,” Scott whispered softly, “Now then I’m interested in the kissing, less talk woman.”

Giggling even as Scott pulled her against him Laura forgot about the batter setting on the counter as he kissed her passionately. “Just so you know,” Laura whispered when he pulled back, “You’ve got a big present to unwrap after the girls go to bed.”

Pulling back Scott stared at her for a second until he recognized the flush climbing her cheeks, “You sure? I don’t want to rush you.”

“I’m sure,” Laura whispered. “I’m very, very sure.”

With an understanding smile, and a silent promise of a good night Scott left her to her cooking and went back to watch the girls open their gifts.

Laughing at Mary’s antics throughout the day Scott watched Laura’s sideways glances and slow, languid caresses even as he felt his temperature slowly rising. Tonight was going to be well worth the wait; perhaps it would precede a change of location for him from the den to the master bedroom.

“A few more hours,” Laura whispered in his ear as they sat down to dinner.

“I’m gonna hold you to that,” Scott replied softly and smirked at her.

“Can we go out and play in the snow?” Mary asked all but bouncing at the array of new outer wear she’d received.

“Yeah Mom, lets all go outside. We can have fun then..”

“It’s getting dark, we’ll all go out and build snowmen tomorrow as long as you’re both in bed early and get to sleep. Today was a big day; I don’t want any sleepyheads tomorrow.”

Lisa glanced from her mother to the man sitting at the table and nodded quickly, “Sure Mom. Should we help with the dishes?”

“Naw, I’ll help your Mom,” Scott volunteered, “You promised me both of you that you’d read at least ten pages of those books I gave you – sit and read for a few minutes before you go to bed.”

Lisa nodded as Mary beamed at him, “Okay.”



Pulling on his pajama bottoms Scott tied the drawstring loosely and reached for his robe as a soft knock echoed through the wooden door, “Come in.”

Smiling softly at Laura as she stepped into the room he raised an eyebrow at her nervous expression, “Hey.”

“Hey,” Laura whispered softly and glanced at him, her teeth worrying her bottom lip. “You wanna uh come upstairs?”

“Laura..”

“I’d just feel more comfortable in a room that’s mine you know?” Laura explained softly, so unlike the strong woman he saw day in and day out. “More at ease and maybe not so scared.”

Smiling Scott nodded and took her offered hand. Lisa and Mary had both been in bed for about two hours and Laura had insisted upon having a long, hot bath after cleaning up. Following her silently Scott watched the gentle sway of her hips, the easy, cat-like stride of hers that made his mouth water. Pausing at the top of the stairs he pulled her closer and kissed her softly, gently before smiling into her eyes, “Its okay Laura, we’ll take it slow.”

Nodding Laura tugged on his hand and led him into her bedroom. Closing the door with a soft click Scott let her take the lead. The soft rustle of silk and lace followed the pooling of her robe at her feet even as he pulled her closer to him, kissing her softly, gently his hands tangled in her long hair.

“Tell me if I’m doing something wrong,” Laura whispered softly as her hands trailed over his chest, “I don’t know..”

“You’re doing just fine,” Scott whispered softly, hid blood pounding, his pulse racing at her soft, easy caresses that were more exploratory than lust filled, “Whatever feels comfortable for you.”

Smiling shyly up at him Laura nodded even as she tugged him further into the room, stopping only long enough to kill the overhead light leaving the room bathed in the soft glow of the candles she had going on the furniture around the room.

“I won’t hurt you,” Laura murmured softly, “It won’t hurt at all.”

“No darlin’,” Scott whispered back against her lips, “It’s not going to hurt; it’ll feel good I promise.”

With quick glance at his face Laura reached for the straps of her long gown and let it slide down her body before reaching for his drawstring, “Slow and easy,” she whispered even as he agreed with a soft murmur and eased her back on the bed, his hands and mouth already worshipping her body.







Staring out the big bay windows at Lisa and Mary’s progress up the walk way Scott sipped his coffee. The girls hadn’t seemed to notice the change in their mother’s relationship, despite the fact that Lisa had caught him coming out of the master bedroom three mornings in a row dressed for work.

Her soft knowing smile had given him pause before he shrugged it aside. He loved the two girls as though they were his own flesh and blood, and as long as everyone was happy then he didn’t care what anyone thought.

Listening to the wild thunder of their arrival he grinned and turned away from the window, “Mom’s at the shop. She’s doing year end paperwork.”

“And you’re home because?” Lisa teased.

“Someone’s got to be here when you two get home. After all it’s getting warmer and I happen to know your mom’s been talking about picking out stuff for a garden out back.”

“You’re picking out seeds?”

“No, you and Mary are,” Scott declared easily. “Now then why don’t you get to your homework I’ll make dinner?”

Lisa grinned at him even as Mary came over to hug him, “I’m glad you’re ours,” Mary declared smiling up at him.

“Well I’m glad you’re mine to.”

“Sucker,” Lisa muttered good naturedly walking past him, “She wants you to help her with her school project.”

“Oh? On what?”

“Mutant powers,” Lisa held out the paper a shadow briefly crossing her face, “What mutation would be most beneficial for someone to have.”

Scott stared at the page before glancing at the two girls, “Why are you doing this in school?”

“The teacher’s a spiteful woman,” Lisa explained as Mary darted off to get a snack, “Figures that if she makes a point of talking about mutants she’ll make a few friends in the mutant population.”

Scott shook his head, “What does your Mom have to say about it?”

“She’s pissed off,” Lisa replied heading for the kitchen. “Says there’s no point in a debate over something that no one will ever understand.”

“She’s got a point,” Scott declared easily, “But still you can do what you have to.”

“Scott can I ask you a question?” Lisa trailed after him as he gathered the stuff he needed out of the pantry.

“Sure darlin’, what’s on your mind?”

“Are you happy with us?”

Scott smiled and glanced down into the patient, curious expression at his elbow. Was he happy? He had a family, a lover who made his blood throb with just a smile, a job he enjoyed, and he got to see a little action with the local FoH jerks. There was no hidden agenda in his world, no standing in the shadow of a woman who wanted big things, just honest, upright emotion.

“Yeah Lisa I’m happy. I don’t think I’ve ever been this happy.”

“You gonna marry my Mom?” Lisa plucked at the fresh produce on the counter.

Scott glanced out the window and smiled, “I’d love to. I want to have her in my life forever but your mom might not want the same thing.”

Lisa giggled, “She loves you enough to let you have her body, she trusts you with us, I’d say she’s wanting the same thing. Ask her.”

Scott sighed, “You sure?”

“Very. Ask her tonight.”

Scott smiled and hugged her hard, “I’ll do it after supper.”

Lisa giggled softly, “I’ll get Mary to help out.”

Shaking his head Scott watched her race off, he was never so sure in his life that he had what he wanted, what he needed in his life as what he had now. Glancing at the top of the refrigerator he reached over and pushed the small, black velvet box back a little, “After supper.”



Laura paused as she stared at the large dining room table that was set with candles, her good china, and a long, flowing lace clothe, “Uh is there a special occasion I forgot?”

“No, we’re just having a family dinner,” Scott replied ushering her into a seat at the table and smirking at the two giggling girls.

“You three are all dressed up, I’m dressed for the office..” Laura glanced at the girls who sat in pale dresses and Scott in black trousers, a white silk top and blue tie before glancing down at her jeans, blouse, and boots. “You sure I shouldn’t change?”

“No, you’re perfect just the way you are,” Scott declared leaning down to steal a quick, hard kiss. “Wine?”

“Uh,” Laura stared at the tall crystal glass as he poured it full of a pale gold wine. “Thanks.”

“You’re welcome.”

With a skeptical look on her face Laura eyed her two children and noted their happy, secretive little smiles and sighed, whatever was going on was a good thing. Eating slowly, enjoying their chatter and the soft, loving looks Scott kept tossing at her Laura gradually relaxed.

When Scott rose to get desert she glanced at the fresh round of giggles from the girls even as Scott kissed her cheek and headed for the kitchen. The clatter of glass and silverware reached her ears along with a soft popping sound but she didn’t pay any attention.

Watching as Scott set two plates with a fancy cake dish on them in front of the girls she glanced up at him and smiled as he set a plate in front of her before turning to stare at it and gasping in shock.

Instead of the slim cookie that sat atop the girls deserts, a beautiful solitary diamond set on an intricately carved band winked back at her. Glancing up sharply she glanced from the girls to Scott, “Uh what..?”

“Marry me Laura,” Scott spoke softly, taking her hand, “Let me have the rest of our lives together. Let me love you and the girls forever.”

Smiling tearfully Laura glanced at the girls who were nodding their heads like crazy, “Yes. Yes I will marry you Scott. We will marry you,” she amended as she looked at her two girls. “Thank you for asking us.”

Scott leaned over and kissed her softly, “Thank you.”

“Yeah, Mom. Does this mean we get to go shopping for wedding stuff?” Lisa clapped her hands amid laughter from everyone else as she sat there.

“Yes Lisa, we’ll go shopping soon. First we have to set a date, a place..”

“Here at the house, in September, the day I met you,” Scott suggested softly, his hand cupping her jaw. “The day the pain began to fade.”

With a small, knowing smile Laura nodded, “Here. September, we can do this.”

“Yeah, we can.”

Hugging her hard Scott smiled into her hair, he had what he wanted, and his past was just that a past and he didn’t want to go back there anytime at all!


**Epilogue**

Frowning at the letter marked Montana Charles opened it carefully, before pulling the sheet of paper out. Glancing down at the flutter of a golden colored card he picked it up and set it aside as he returned his attention to the letter.

*Dear Charles;

I hope all is well with you and the team. I hope that Logan has allowed the wounds of Jean’s death to heal and the team, the students; the entire school has healed as I have. For the first time in a long time I know where I belong, with whom I belong and I’m glad to say that she loves me.

I’ve enclosed an invitation to our wedding in September. We both would like everyone who can attend to be there. I’m anxious for everyone to meet my new family, Laura’s a beautiful, caring woman, and her two girls are delightful, and fun. Lisa I think would get along very well with Kitty, and Rogue for that matter.

In closing I just want to say thank you. You’ve given me so much in this life but I’ve learned that you can’t cling to a life that has grown too small for you. I love you like a father, and had things been different I have no doubt that I would have stayed and tried to make your dreams come true but in trying to outrun the pain of Jean’s death I’ve learned that I need my own dream to survive. I have that dream and God willing I will have more children with Laura someday. I hope you can understand this, I hope that you will forgive a simple man his dreams – even as I offer a prayer that you will have yours.

All my love to everyone, Scott *

Picking up the card Charles smiled sadly as he read it, Scott had moved on with is life and embraced his fate with a woman who loved him dreams, scars, and quirks and all.

“We’ll be there Scott, we’ll be there for you in all our colorful glory.” Turning to look out the window at the students, instructors, and fellow mutants that made his life complete Charles smiled, the sadness fading away.

Logan had found happiness, true happiness in the arms of a deadly skinned woman and had long since given up the lust he’d had for another man’s wife. In fact most of those at the mansion had found love, and healing and he was glad of it.

The end.
This story archived at http://wolverineandrogue.com/wrfa/viewstory.php?sid=304