Rescuing Logan by Shadowlady
Summary: When one of their own gets captured by the military, its up to the X-men to infiltrate the base and rescue their comrade.
Categories: X2 Characters: None
Genres: Action
Tags: None
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 11664 Read: 2932 Published: 09/27/2006 Updated: 09/27/2006

1. Rescuing Logan by Shadowlady

Rescuing Logan by Shadowlady
Charles sat behind his desk and stared out the window waiting impatiently for the X-team members to arrive after his summons. Glancing at the door he sighed and shook his head, this wasn’t something he could speak openly about, he’d have to be careful about how much he revealed.

There were too many unknowns, too much at risk for him to fill everyone in completely. Instead he’d have to do it in two briefings, one for everyone and another for the team that would be going out. A team that he would have to personally select and who would have to use whatever force was necessary to complete the mission successfully.

Feeling the arrival of the team he turned away from the window and rolled over to his desk, “Come in please,” he addressed the door evenly knowing that emotions would run a little wild for a while.

“You wanted to see us sir?” Scott asked softly holding the door for Storm, Jean, and Rogue.

“Please have a seat,” Charles said gesturing to the chairs opposite him. “I have some rather distressing news.”

Sinking into the chairs, Charles watched his team looking concerned but not really worried. Yet. Knowing that he’d have at least one very upset person to deal with Charles sucked in a quick, calming breath and folded his hands in his lap.

“As you know I’ve been monitoring Logan’s progress these past few months,” he started uneasily noting Rogue shrug and smile secretly. “Rogue, is there a problem?”

“If that’s what you wanted to tell us Professor I think I should tell you I know what Logan’s doing. He calls regularly.”

“No, that isn’t what I’m talking about,” Charles replied calmly, aware of the startled looks on the others faces but choosing to ignore it. “Six days ago, Logan disappeared.”

“Disappeared?” Rogue froze her face going white, her hands clenching around the chair arms almost painfully.


“Yes, I found a trace of him with a young woman in Calgary but haven’t been able to establish contact with him specifically since then.”

“He’s probably underground,” Rogue said slowly, softly a frown marring her face. “Give him a day or so. If he’s found something he isn’t going to be easily contacted. Do you have any idea who the girl was? Perhaps she has some idea if you’re that concerned.”

“Thank you Rogue, for your input into the situation. I did feel that it was a good idea to inform you all of this development. It is imperative that we all be aware of what’s going on within our world,” Charles said before shifting. “Now then, lesson plans for this week.”

“And if you’ll excuse me,” Rogue smiled and rose gracefully to walk toward the door. “That’s my cue to vanish. I’m not an instructor yet.”

“Thank you Rogue. I will keep you apprised of any developments,” Charles promised uneasily.

“I know,” Rogue said and closed the door quickly. Staring at it for a moment, she couldn’t help but feel that Professor X hadn’t been exactly open and honest with her. The soft conversation that drifted through the door a moment later was enough to convince her of that.

“Is that all?” Scott asked softly. “Have you found some reason that you need all of us to be present?”

“Yes,” Charles sighed rubbing his forehead. “My contact informed me that several men in military uniforms grabbed Logan in Calgary. She couldn’t tell me where they took him, or what they plan on doing with him but she did know they’re from a branch of military specialists. I firmly believe that they plan on doing more experiments with him. I believe it was clearly an attempt to recoup their losses and recover their superior ‘weapon’.”

“And you didn’t think you could reveal this to Rogue?” Jean asked softly.

“Rogue and Logan’s relationship has taken several turns since they first arrived. I don’t believe for a moment that Rogue would allow herself to be left out of a rescue mission, especially when we’re rescuing Logan.”

“Do you have any guesses where they might be?”

“I’ll check back with Cerebro see if I can find him and let you know after dinner.”

“Thank you Professor,” Storm said with a smile. “I’m sure Logan’s fine. After all he’s a super healer.”

“Yes, that’s what bothers me,” Charles admitted. “He wasn’t far off from discovering his past; this might just push him to leave that behind. Something he may regret.”

“Well it sure isn’t a good thing,” Scott revealed softly. “But we’ll do whatever we have to.”


“I know,” Charles sighed. “That’s something I’ve never doubted. We’ll meet in the debriefing room at seven. Hopefully I’ll have a few more answers.”


Hurrying down the hall Rogue couldn’t shake the fear that they wouldn’t get to Logan in time. Determined to help out as much as possible she paused, she’d know what went on in that meeting room if it killed her. With that decision made she hurried to find Kitty, the other girl would willingly help her no questions asked.



“Rogue, you look like hell,” Kitty drawled as she stared at her room mate.

“I know. Look I need a favor,” Rogue started pacing in the room.

“What?” Kitty stared at the young woman who was so agitated she was nearly wringing her hands, her face marked with slashes of fury and terror. Whatever was going on was going to be big, that much Kitty knew.

“You know where the meeting room is?”

“Yes,” Kitty nodded slowly, hesitantly. “It’s downstairs and off limits to us students.”

“I need you to phase through and get some information for me at seven. The team’s meeting down there about Logan and I’ll be damned if they’re leaving me behind.”

“Rogue you know they’re gonna freak if they find out what we’re up to. Besides Logan wouldn’t want you to risk anything for him, he values you too much for that.”

“What Logan wants and what he gets are two very different things. Besides, Logan wouldn’t let anything bad happen to me so why would I let it happen to him.”

“I tell you, sleep with him once..” Kitty giggled at Rogue’s flush.

“Hey, I asked him to take my virginity and he agreed. Logan is my best friend in the entire world, and a fantastic, phenomenal, superlative lover who might I add has the full deed to my bed. This is only fair exchange.”

“I know, remember I slept in the next room. I swear I heard every scream you tried to muffle. Frankly I’m surprised Jubilee didn’t say something.”

“She sleeps like a brick. Probably didn’t hear a thing,” Rogue grinned and shrugged, “Probably a very good thing.”


“I must be insane. Alright, I’ll help you. I’ll get you the information, what you do with it is up to you.”

Rogue nodded eagerly, “Agreed.”

Kitty stared at her friend and shook her head, there were days when being tied to Rogue was a never ending roller coaster ride and it looked like today was going to be one of those days.


Hiding in the corridor Kitty watched as the X-team entered the meeting room before phasing through the wall and heading into the ventilation system. Crawling through it she paused when she was right over the debriefing table and waited as Professor Xavier wheeled into the room.

“Thank you for having the patience to wait this long,” he started.

“Did you find something?”

“Yes. Yes I did. He’s being held at a facility just outside of Fort Laird. I did a little digging and I need a volunteer.”

“What do you mean?”

“This rescue mission means only one or two can go in. A full assault on the place and they’ll damage the structure resulting in the death of not one but all occupants. I spoke to an insider - or rather I read the mind of one of the high ranking officers there. Logan’s slated for seminal extraction first thing Monday.”

“That limits it to either Storm or myself,” Jean stated quietly.

“No,” Scott shook his head. “You know how I feel about..”

“This is a mission Scott. It’s not like I’m going to take time out of getting out of a hot spot to fuck his brains out.”

“No.”

“I’ll go,” Storm said hoping to divert a full fledged argument between the pair, “I’ll need a uniform or some way of getting inside..”

“I’ll arrange for you to have a uniform and identity ready by midnight when you leave. You’ll be flown to a small landing strip a few miles away from there you’ll get a car and head to the base. I have to warn you Ororo Logan isn’t alone there. There are nearly sixty other mutants there all in various stages of experimentation. Do whatever you have to, but keep yourself safe.”

“No worries,” Storm smiled softly and shifted, glancing up and catching movement. Hesitant to point it out she wondered how long it would be before Rogue revealed herself.

“Excellent. Thank you for doing this Storm. You won’t be completely alone; Scott and Jean will be stationed nearby as honeymooners at the Hot Springs Resort. Get in, get Logan, and get out.”

“Understood,” rising gracefully she headed for the door before pausing, “Have you informed Rogue?”

“No, not as yet. I’m delaying it as long as possible because I know she’ll head up there and Logan would kill me if she got hurt.”

“Logan’s more controllable than that,” Jean stated calmly.

“Not when it comes to Rogue,” Charles said eying her steadily. “Rogue is a whole new ball game that you don’t want to play.”

“Yes sir,” rising Jean followed Storm and Scott out of the room determined to get some sleep before they departed.



Hurrying back to their room, Kitty phased through the door an stopped next to the computer desk where Rogue sat waiting expectantly.

“Well?”

“They’re leaving at midnight, heading north to extract him from a lab,” Kitty said. “Storm’s going undercover alone and Scott and Jean are stationed nearby in case of trouble. He’s slated for something called seminal extraction.”

Rogue nodded a dark look entering her eyes, Logan wouldn’t be a willing participant and that made her furious, “They’ll take the Blackbird it’s the fastest transportation up there. That means I’m gonna need some professional clothes, something that will make me look like Storm’s assistant.”

“Uh Rogue..”

“Trust me, I’ve seen it done. When Stryker attacked us he had a mutant assistant. Logan told me all about her, and she dressed in some pretty fancy clothes.”

“Let’s see what’s in the closet then. I think there are about four really nice, stuffy looking suits in there.”

“Pantsuits?”


“I think so,” Kitty said digging in the closet to pull out a sports jacket, tossing it on the bed she returned for the remaining items before stepping back and looking at Rogue. “Well you’re gonna have to learn how to walk in heels.”

“I can walk in six inch stilettos,” Rogue admitted quickly. “Side effect of uh stealing Jean’s gift that one time.”

“I still can’t believe you did that,” Kitty shivered remembering when Rogue had touched Jean briefly after the other woman had argued with her over Logan. Everyone knew that you didn’t argue over the Canadian with Rogue, up to and including Jean now. “But at least it gave you a few good things.”

“Yep, like being able to walk in high heels,” Rogue chuckled and raised an eyebrow. “As well as the ability to pick up on emotions, when I want to. Too bad though that I killed her voice in my head.”

Kitty laughed as the door opened and Jubilee stepped inside snapping her gum and listening to a walkman. She loved the young Eurasian but at times it was so hard to live with two room mates so different.

“What’s going on?” Jubilee stared at the laid out attire. “Who’s going to a funeral?”

“Rogue’s going on a mission,” Kitty said as Rogue folded up one suit and tucked it into a thin briefcase that she’d ‘borrowed’ from a previous instructor who had left after a student had lost control and zapped him.

Stripping down Rogue donned the remaining suit she felt she could tolerate wearing before glancing at her girls. “You’re gonna haveta cover for me for a bit. Just until we get back.”

“Why aren’t we going?”

“Cause Rogue isn’t sanctioned to go,” Kitty explained. “The Professor doesn’t think she knows that Logan’s a prisoner of a lab.”

“Well we should be there for back-up or something.”

“I appreciate the sentiment Jubes but I need you here. Gotta have someone who can gather intel while I’m in the field.”

“I don’t like it,” Jubes pouted as she sank on to the edge of the bed and watched Rogue slipping a pair of snake-skin pumps on. “You be careful Rogue, we don’t want to lose you.”

“I’ll be very careful,” Rogue promised. “Besides I’ve got Logan’s help,” she said pointing to her temple. “I’ll be okay.”

“Good. Now how you gonna get onto the Blackbird without being detected? I mean Jean’s gonna pick up on you won’t she?”

“Her and Scott are arguing about Logan on this mission,” Kitty revealed.

“Course they are. She wants Logan pretty badly, he probably knows it,” Rogue shrugged easily and began twisting her hair up. “Not that she’s gonna get him. He belongs to me.”

“Sheesh, why on earth would you want him?” Jubes asked snapping her gum. “We both know that he’s crass and unruly..”

“And perfect,” Rogue smiled softly, secretly. Oh yes Logan was a lot of things, most people saw the surface attempts to keep people at bay but underneath he was perfection incarnate.

“I’m gonna hurl,” Jubes groused at the look on her friend’s face. “You gonna wear makeup there girl or what?”

“Glasses,” Rogue declared pulling out a pair of thin framed reading glasses she’d switched the lens in. They looked like regular glasses but were nothing more than show pieces. “I’ll check in tomorrow night from my quarters. Hopefully we can get to Logan before they start on the experiments, if that’s the case than we can get him out a lot earlier. Either way I’m not leaving without him. I’m gonna make sure that it takes them a long, long time to rebuild though. That place is going Kaboom!”

“You go girl,” Jubilee smiled suddenly and glanced at Kitty. “So how come you’re being so unusual there Kitster?”

“I owed Rogue a favor.”

“Really? What kinda favor?”

“She got Scott off my back for the mechanics class; I figured this would help make things even.”

“Remind me to come see you when I need a favor,” Jubes said watching as Rogue gathered a few things and slid them into the briefcase before she closed it with a click and headed for the door.

“I’ll see you in a few days,” Rogue paused at he door, “Thanks.”

“Go get your man,” Kitty said. “And from now on keep him close.”

“No problem there!” Rogue said and slipped from the room. Hurrying as fast as she could without drawing attention she headed for the lower levels and the parked Blackbird. Using the skills Logan had left in her subconscious she got onto the plane easily and found a spot to sit and wait it out without being noticed readily. She wasn’t worried about being detected en route - they couldn’t really turn around and come back, and she could ‘convince’ them to keep her around once they landed. No she worried instead about how Logan was doing.



The cold metallic chains cut into his wrists as he sat against a damp cement wall, the annoying buzz of lights filled his ears as he listened to movement just outta sight. With a low growl and a silent curse Logan shifted for the umpteenth time and waited. The drugs they’d knocked him out with made his mind fuzzy, and he couldn’t quite get his bearings but something told him that was a good thing.

Hearing the shuffle of tired feet as they moved past his cell, Logan straightened slightly wishing that he could get his claws out and into the chain. A move he’d already tried only to have a severe, ruthless beating that had left him bloodied for hours as his body healed.

Hearing the clicking of mechanisms as the lock was turned he glanced toward the door, anger and fear mixing to make him volatile and dangerous. Seeing the uniform stepping into the room he barely had time to pick up on the long, dark object in the man’s hand before a sharp pop echoed in the confined space and darkness began to swim into his mind.

When he awoke he was strapped flat out on a table in a well lit room that echoed with bleeps, hisses, and quite whirrs of monitors and machines. Struggling he growled as the shapes of men became apparent in his vision.

“No!” Logan screamed as he felt the torches begin to cut into his flesh, the acrid smell of burning flesh filling his nostrils even as the familiar searing pain invaded his mind and body. Not again! No it couldn’t be, he struggled harder only to feel the clamps tighten holding him more firmly in place as the lasers made short work of his flesh to open his internal organs and skeleton to the doctor’s prying eyes.

“Interesting,” one of the white coated men drawled. “Looks like he’s been fitted with adamantium at one point.”

“I wonder why he isn’t wearing his tag then,” another commented as they stood over him and poked at the flesh that was already beginning to knit itself back together. “Another twenty cc’s of destabilizer please. He’s healing too quickly.”

Snarling, growling Logan struggled against their restraints, their poking and prodding even as his mind and body protested the abuse. Feeling the prick of the needle as it went it he snarled at the nurse before turning back to his struggle.

“Could be a release subject,” the doctor pondered. “Or perhaps he’s a previous escapee. Either way lets see if he can handle the removal of the kidneys. Our last mutant couldn’t, with his healing abilities he might just do it.”

“Sir isn’t he slated for seminal extraction next week?” one of the nurses commented softly.

“Yes, yes he is. Unfortunately there’s a holdup with the female we had planned on crossing him with. A wonderful creature, a shape shifter. Oh what was her name? She worked for that man who helped Stryker with the Cerebral project. Eric something or other. I’m terrible with names.”


Mystique! Logan thought struggling even harder even as he felt the doctor’s start cutting into his body. He didn’t know if he’d survive this - but if he did he was going to make them all pay dearly. Then he was going home to.. Stopping himself he closed his eyes even as he screamed in agony. No, he wouldn’t focus on her name, on who she was. They wouldn’t use him to destroy her no matter what it cost him!

With his body crippled with the agony of the lasers and the loss of its kidneys Logan was all but dragged back to his cell and dumped on the floor unceremoniously. Laying there he shivered even as he felt the familiar itch that accompanied his healing factor working and knew that he’d survive this unfortunately.

Blinking even as his body began to feel better, Logan couldn’t shake the fuzzy feeling in his mind. Rising to his knees shakily, he spat trying to rid his mouth of the acrid taste of boiling blood and huddled there on the floor even as his cell went dark, and the very air around him seemed to become electrified.



“So you can deal with this?” Storm asked softly watching Jean as she pointedly ignored Scott as he landed the cloaked Blackbird in a small clearing twenty miles outside of Laird.

“We have to. Personally I’m not a big fan of sending one in without back-up but I have to go with the plan. We’ll be close by if you need us. Here’s the transmitter,” Jean handed over the small, oval shaped piece of equipment and watched her tuck it into the pocket of her uniform.

“I am certain I will be fine. Just keep on your guard, we need to be ready to act the minute we can,” Storm declared as she rose out of her seat and headed for the exit. Sliding gracefully into the darkness of the night she paused, something telling her she was being watched.

“The Professor arranged for a car to meet you just the other side of the trees. The driver is waiting for you,” Scott said softly and nodded at Storm. “You can do this.”

“I hope you’re right,” Storm whispered as they disappeared into the night leaving her alone and facing a mission that would have far reaching consequences if she failed.

With a fortifying breath, Storm gathered her courage around her and settled the drab green army issue hat atop her head. Grabbing the briefcase that contained codes, papers, and anything that would give credence to her identity she started for the road.

“Leaving us so soon?” Rogue’s sultry voice had her groaning.

“Rogue what are you doing here?” Storm whipped around to stare at the young woman who was sliding gracefully from the shadows of the Blackbird..


“I’m your new assistant,” Rogue smirked at her and approached her carefully. “Complete with identity, clothes, everything that an assistant would need. Did you believe for a second that I would let Logan sit and rot in some lab?”

“Rogue you shouldn’t be here,” Storm tried calmly to convince the young woman to head back. “You’ll get hurt then Logan will kill us!”

“Logan is my responsibility and you tried to leave me out of his rescue. I would have thought you’d want my help, I can tell you things even you don’t know.”

“Rogue..,” Storm sighed only to freeze when Rogue stalked past her.

“We’re going to be late Storm,” Rogue drawled coldly. “And Logan needs me.”

Shaking her head in defeat Storm followed Rogue into the trees keeping an ear out for the sound of a running vehicle. Smiling when she recognized the car she headed for it, dragging a silent Rogue along with her.

“Evening Ma’am,” the young soldier nodded at Storm and eyed the young woman with her. “I hope your trip was pleasant.”

“As pleasant as one of these trips can be,” Storm replied tiredly, anger simmering in her voice. “My assistant Miss Rogue.”

“Ma’am,” the young private nodded at her before opening the door and allowing them to slide gracefully inside. “ETA will be thirty minutes.”

“Very good,” Storm drawled carefully before leaning back in her seat and looking at Rogue. “Stick close to me and do exactly what I tell you,” she whispered softly and noted Rogue’s slightly nod and the raising of an eyebrow in a familiar gesture.

“Relax ma’am,” Rogue smiled at her slightly. “I know what I’m doing. I had a very, very good teacher.”

“Good. Then keep your mouth shut,” Storm snapped softly and fell silent as the car sped along the paved road before turning onto the dirt track that led up to a formidable looking building surrounded by high wire fences topped with barbed wire.

“Evening Private, your papers please?” the guard drawled carelessly looking at the car closely. Taking the sheaf of papers he read them over slowly before moving to the back window and tapping on it.

Storm rolled the window down and looked at the soldier coldly, “Yes?”

“Good morning ma’am. Your clearance papers?”


“Certainly,” Storm pulled them out of her briefcase and handed them to the soldier. “This is my assistant Miss Rogue.”

“Sorry ma’am for the inconvenience but we’ve had word that several mutants have attempted escape. We’re just checking to be sure that there are no problems.”

“Security is a necessary part of this job soldier, very good. May we go? I hate running late.”

“Of course Major, please continue and have a good morning.”

“Oh I will. Thank you,” Storm said and took the papers back before tapping the back of the seat, “Continue on soldier.”

“Yes ma’am,” the car rolled smoothly forward and Storm settled back into her seat.

When they got to the main building, Storm slid out of the car and looked pointedly at Rogue before heading inside, sliding her keycard in the slot to open the doors. Slipping inside they headed for the closest check in point and eyed the two middle aged guards standing talking.

“Would either of you be able to direct me to my quarters?” Storm barked out and hiding her smile as they jumped.

“Uh ma’am?”

“I’m Major Ororo Storm and this facility is due for an inspection. I’m here to conduct that inspection and will be on site for several days. My quarters must be ready by now.”

“Does the Colonel know you’re arriving?”

“I would expect him to,” Storm snapped angrily. “I’ve been traveling since yesterday and all you can say is ‘does the Colonel know you’re arriving’? How dare you? I should have you written up for insubordination. As a matter of fact that’s what I shall do. Give me your name and ident number.”

“Sorry ma’am. Uh I’ll check on that right away,” the second guard hurried off to see what arrangements could be made on short notice for a visiting Major. Locating a small suite that would work, he quickly filled in the necessary papers before rushing back to see his partner looking very harassed and uncomfortable. “Uh ma’am, your room is ready. I’m sorry about the lack of size..”

“As long as it will suffice enough to suit my assistant and I’s needs we’ll be fine. Now we’ll need a few moments to freshen up before we begin our inspection.”

“Yes ma’am,” the two soldiers saluted quickly and watched the pair glide gracefully down the corridor.

“Whew, they’re really improving the look of the officers these days,” one snickered.

“And that assistant. Wow! Talk about a knock out.”

“Ooh yeah, wouldn’t mind nailing that one.”

“Yeah, but we’d probably get court marshaled for it!”

Laughing the two men returned to their plans when they got off shift!

Sliding into the suite that had been arranged for them, Storm closed the door and looked at Rogue steadily. “I don’t think they’re gonna let us go directly to the captives. Which means we’re gonna have to find out as much as we can about the layout of this place before we find Logan.”

“We had better do it fast,” Rogue looked steadily at Storm. “They were planning on some entertainment with one of the captives.”

“Entertainment?” Storm asked softly, dreading the answer even as she wondered how Rogue would know that.

“They’re men Storm, with captive women to play with. You want me to draw you a picture?” Rogue snapped, her tone reminiscent of a burly Canadian everyone knew and respected.

“No that won’t be necessary,” Storm shuddered at the thought her skin beginning to crawl already. After unpacking the few things in the case, she glanced at Rogue who’d sank into a chair, her gloves firmly in place along with a thin, dark gold silk scarf around her neck. “You’ll have to try hard to keep your mutant status under wraps.” Storm whispered knowing Rogue would hear her.

“I already figured on that,” Rogue declared. “I put on a thin layer of latex under my gloves so if I do have to take them off nobody will get hurt. However I think it might be better if we try to convince everyone that I dislike mutants. That I’m allergic to them or something.”

“That would fit with the local ideals,” Storm nodded carefully. “Perfect. We have two days from now to find Logan, free him, and get the hell outta here. Try not to blow it.”

“I’ll use every trick in the book I know. Just remember Logan is mine, we have to find him.”

“We will,” Storm promised quickly putting a soothing hand on Rogue’s arm. “We’ll get him outta of here. Now then you ready to start the first act of this play?”

“Ooh yeah,” Rogue grinned. “I’m gonna need access to the computer. I need to find all the gun placements, cause this place ain’t gonna be standing much longer.”


“I’ll arrange for it to be so,” Storm drawled and sucked in a breath before heading for the door. “Now then Miss Rogue we’ll begin our assessment with the personnel. I want the files for everyone located within this base, history, expertise, everything. We’ll begin our interviews in exactly one hour.”

“Yes Major Storm,” Rogue nodded briefly and glanced at one of the women soldiers as she walked past them looking at them strangely. “Perhaps Corporal Hudson would like to volunteer first?” she pointed at the young woman who froze.

“Indeed. Our meeting will begin with her. Now,” Storm eyed the young corporal who paled before nodding and falling into step with them. Ducking into a room, Storm sat the young soldier down and settled in a chair leaving Rogue to stand with a notepad and paper.

“State your name and serial number,” Storm demanded getting a nod from Rogue to say that she was ready.

“Corporal E. Hudson, 243 989 009.”

“Very good. Now then, tell me all about yourself. Including how long you’ve been here,” Storm instructed looking at the soldier with cold indifference.

“Yes ma’am.”



Shivering, feeling the bite of the cold Logan sat in the darkened cell waiting, even as his mind cleared slightly. Hearing the thud of heavy treaded boots coming down the corridor he tensed even as the steps moved past his cell.

Hearing the click of keys and the clunk of a lock turning he sniffed the air. The rank odor of fear, loathing, and the acrid bite of hatred all mixed even as he heard the muted sounds of a scuffle. Knowing that for the moment he wasn’t being removed from his cell he shifted, crawling back to lean against the wall even as the vague sound of someone’s muffled screams filled his ears.

The abhorrent scent of blood mixed with lust reached him and he closed hid eyes as he realized what was happening a few doors down. The sickening laughter of more than one guard filled his cell and he could feel the anger growing, building within his body until he saw red.

Soon the muffled sounds gave way to screams and pleading, the soft voice begging them to stop even as another guard joined the fun and Logan rose shakily to his feet. Growling he slammed into the wall weakly, knowing there wasn’t much he could do to help even as the sound of the guards retreating soon filled the hallway.

Hearing only sobs and smelling fear and pain Logan sighed, it could so easily be her, be his girl that they’d hurt. Moving from the wall he shuffled toward the door, toward the small opening that his meals were pushed through.

“Hey, you okay?” he asked weakly the drugs they’d pumped into him making his reactions, his movements and voice slowed.

“Shh, if they hear you you’ll regret it,” a more masculine voice called back into the darkened silence.

“Just tell me if she’s okay?”

“What do you think?” the sarcastic voice that set Logan’s teeth on edge.

“I think somebody’s gonna die for this.”

“Yeah, like any of us will ever get out,” a feminine voice whispered softly. “We’ll all be dead before that day ever comes.”

“Look kid you okay?” Logan called back uneasily.

“I hurt,” was the tearful reply before it was shushed.

“Yeah,” Logan nodded quickly. Yeah he could smell the pain rolling off her like waves in the ocean and felt the rage slowly begin to solidify within him.

“How long till they come back?” Logan asked softly.

“Couple of hours. They usually rotate,” came another voice. “Being the first is always the hardest cause they don’t just stick to their dicks. Most of the women in here will be lucky if they can have any kids after the treatment they get.”

Logan nodded leaning heavily on the door even as he focused on the Wolverine within his body and mind. Allowing him to have control even as the realization that they were right. Nobody would make it out alive - but Logan was determined not to allow the guards to have much more fun.

He’d die before he’d let them touch her, before he’d let them get anywhere near her. She was the only thing that was important and he’d risk everything to keep her safe. Even if that meant that he would have to forget her for the moment - something he couldn’t really bring himself to put his whole heart into.

“Keep it down y’all. If they know we’re talking things will go even worse on all of us.”

“We get the hint,” Logan whispered even as he heard the faint but familiar sounds of the torches being activated and the sounds of muted voices discussing a procedure. Knowing that sooner or later he’d be strapped back down and something else taken from him, Wolverine snarled at the injustice and tried to extend his claws to no avail. Whatever they’d used had incapacitated him completely.

Surrendering to the powerful effects of the drugs Logan waited for his turn under the knife, the only thought in his mind being that it wasn’t her.



Rogue stiffened at the screams that echoed up through the floor and into her heart. Unlike the screams from before these were pain filled and masculine. She’d barely heard the screams from earlier in the night, although she’d felt the pain and anger that had broiled around them. Along with the screams came the knowledge of what was happening and she felt sick.

“You okay?” Storm asked softly at Rogue’s sick look, and the pain in the young woman’s eyes as Rogue listened to the slight sounds that only she could hear being echoed throughout the facility.

“No,” Rogue whispered back and blinked. “Lets just find him okay?”

“We will. Have you found anything in the system?” Storm asked looking at the laptop Rogue had setup in their suite.

“Lower level is all holding cell as well as a lab. According to the blueprints the mutants are ranked from one to five for level of hostility and tests to be run,” Rogue declared easily pointing out the plans even as she moved through the motions of putting things together.

“Any indication which one Logan is?”

“Only one cell with a previous capture in it,” Rogue smiled uneasily even as she moved the mouse to highlight one cell and bring up the schematics. “One closest to the lab, and its got the heaviest security. Whoever they have in there is a tough case, which leads me to think its Logan. He wouldn’t give in without a fight and you know it.”

“We’ll have to get Jean and Scott to help us. We’ll make our move tonight, I do not think it would be good for him to remain here!”

“You got that right sister,” Rogue grunted under her breath and turned back to her computer. After accessing the blue prints again, she started checking for security features, gun placements, electronic devices that would delay her. After quickly scanning them all onto a CD she tucked it into the coat pocket of her suit and rose to pad out the door even as she heard Storm’s soft conversation with Jean over the transmitter.

Glancing back she smiled sardonically when she noticed Storm had moved off to stand staring out the window. Slipping soundlessly into the hallway she closed the door with a slight click and sighed, *Hold on Logan, I’m coming sugah.* she thought with a sad inward smile.


Heading down the hallway, she ignored the obvious exits instead searching for a much more stealthy means of traveling. Smiling softly she glanced up and down the hallway, noting the camera pointed in her direction and made a show of noting it in a log book. Walking further along she found what she was looking for an unprotected vent that was big enough for her to crawl into.

Getting into the vent and hiding her entry was easy, the skills leeched from Magneto and Jean coming in handy again before she turned and began following an imaginary line that led her down two levels to the labs.


Logan glanced up as the door to his cell opened and three women and a big, burly looking man moved into the room. Eying them hostilely he waited wondering what new torment they had in mind for him.

Smelling the familiar aroma of desire and lust Logan felt something within him shiver, some little part of him that he’d long since buried began to react. Swallowing against the rising nausea he watched them, waiting impatiently for them to begin whatever the hell they had planned.

“Hey you were right Hudson,” one of the female guards laughed harshly, flicking her red hair over her shoulder and licking her lips, “He is the best looking one so far.”

“Yeah I know. The guys get their fun, why can’t we have ours,” Hudson laughed softly and glanced at the male guard. “Bind his hands to the wall. Use the chain, he’s a lot stronger than he appears.”

“Mmm, I get a piece of him, right?” the guy said eying the man with disdain. He’d been in the room when they’d taken him down for the liver extraction earlier in the day and he’d been amazed at the size of the guy. Amazement had fallen away leaving lust and envy in its place and he wanted a piece of the bastard, wanted him to know he wasn’t the biggest man around.

“Sure,” Hudson shrugged carelessly, “After all he’s not going anywhere.”

Feeling sick, Logan growled at the advancing group even as he smelt the shock and fear rising from the other men along the corridor. Struggling, growling despite the drugs flowing through his system he glared at the metal ring that hung in the wall and the chains dangling from it even as he was dragged closer, and closer to it.

Hearing the sharp click of the locks on the shackles he renewed his snarling struggle, determined to break free no matter the cost.

“Oh look, our new toy is trying to get away,” Hudson laughed easily along with her cohorts. “Good thing we didn’t bother telling those inspectors what we do with our little subjects.”

“They might have wanted to have some fun to,” the sultry voice belonged to the blond on Hudson’s right.


“Anyone bring anything like a condom?” the male guard questioned eying the mutant at his feet even as he felt the familiar warmth that came just before one of their ‘sessions’ with a mutant. “After all he is slated for seminal extraction.”

“No,” Hudson laughed. “But that’s alright. It ain’t like he’s gonna get off. Just you will.”

With an indifferent shrug the male guard moved toward the door and looked out. Not seeing anyone he pulled it nearly closed before walking back across the room pulling a needle out of his pocket. “Just a little somethin’ for you to remember us by,” he chortled as he uncapped it and jabbed it hard into the mutant’s thigh.

Hissing a warning Logan barely felt the pain of the injection, his arms straining as he struggled to get free. Watching the big guard begin to strip Logan felt something within him shift, some long forgotten memory click into place fully and he snarled, renewing his struggle with even more desperation.

He wouldn’t let them do this to him again, he’d be damned if he was going to let some guard rape him again. He’d lived through it once, he wouldn’t do it again - no matter what! Struggling, snarling he jerked at the chains around his wrists even as he saw the guard’s hand stroking his dick. Growling, snarling he struggled against what he knew would happen desperation giving him strength.

Logan tensed as he heard something above their heads, a slight scuff in the ventilation system before he shook it off as imagination and kicked at the female guard who appeared to be in charge. Connecting with her leg he felt an inordinate amount of pleasure at seeing her go down.

She’d be lucky if the leg wasn’t broken, he thought before someone grabbed his head and held him steady. The acrid taste of metal as it was forced into his mouth only made him angrier and he clamped his jaws together, nearly biting the hand of the guard nearest him.

The sharp sting of leather against his groin had him grunting in pain even as he jerked his body, twisting it in an attempt to get away from the male guard’s twisted pleasure. Even as he twisted his head, his jaws locked in an attempt to keep the man’s cock out of his mouth. Praying softly he grunted as the male guard smacked him soundly.

“Oh we ain’t done yet,” the guard purred sickeningly. “We’re just getting started, gonna make you bleed freak.”

Hearing the creak of metal his eyes shot up a split second before the vent above them began twisting, shattering in an all too familiar pattern. One he’d seen on top a statue in the warm autumn night when he’d given another piece of his soul to a young girl who’d slowly taken all of him bit by bit over the years.


Watching it he barely felt the hot stickiness that hit him even as the smell of sulphur reached his nostrils. Snarling he jerked struggling again he extended the claws in a moment of pride and kicked out at the woman who was sitting on his legs. Seeing her fly across the room he snarled at the remainder of the guards before he glanced up to see if his claws would cut the chains.


Moving silently, stealthily Rogue slid out of the vent, the anger at the way they were treating Logan beginning to burn through her control. With a swift snap she broke the last bar that kept her from sliding down and into the cell. Dropping down behind the blonde guard she growled even as she reached out and grabbed her around the throat.


With a swift, merciless snap she dropped her on the floor and turned to look at the guard climbing slowly to her feet. A swift kick to the chest and the soft crunch of bones breaking had her smirking slightly.

“Stupid bitch,” with a muted look of disgust she whirled around and faced the two threats remaining. Hudson and the male guard who looked like he was having way too much fun urinating on Logan who was regaining his mobility slowly but steadily.

“Why don’t you pick on someone your own size,” she snarled and waited for them to turn to face her before she kicked at the guard closest to her. Knocking the wind out of Hudson she grabbed her and shoved her into the wall even as she felt the male guard come into close proximity to her. Reacting quickly she shucked one glove and turned to smile at him. “Don’t recommend it,” she said slowly noting Logan getting to his feet, his claws extended. “If I don’t kill you he will.”

“You’re another one ain’t ya?” the guard laughed eying the beauty before him. She was young, with ample curves and more than a little fight in her. Something the other guards would pay to have a piece of.

“You could say that,” Rogue smiled at him sweetly, charmingly. “He belongs to me asshole,” she snapped and delivered a kick right into the man’s groin. When he bent over in pain she drove her knee into his face, shattering his nose and knocking him on his ass. Stepping toward the man she froze as she saw the familiar glint of adamantium coming through the man’s chest and move straight up.

“What the fuck are you doing here?” Logan hissed pulling Rogue to him only to remember what he was covered in and pausing to look for something wipe off with.

“Saving your ass,” Rogue replied quickly and launched herself against him uncaring of the moisture on his body or anything but the feel of his body against hers. Hugging him for a moment she pulled back, “Come on we have to get out of here. Once they realize that you’re gone they’ll activate the alarms.”

“Not without the rest of ‘em,” Logan protested with a shake of his head. “We can’t leave ‘em here to..”


“Relax,” Rogue smiled at him and cupped his cheek. He looked like shit, his hair matted and unkept, a darkness in his eyes that told of the memories, the horrors that he’d endured, and the phantom, rapidly fading bruises that covered his body. She could smell the acrid scent of urine on both of them along with remembered horror and fury. It was that fury that gave her strength, because as long as Logan was pissed he would be willing to fight and she needed his strength, his skill to help get them all out alive.

She knew from her digging what they’d done to him, knew how much it had cost him to heal from it and couldn’t help the anger, the sympathy that arose within her at it. “Now unless I miss my guess Storm will realize I’ve wandered off and since she’s calling in the big guns we’ll have a safe getaway.”

“What about us?” a voice, weak and filled with pain called into the silence. “Please don’t leave us here.”

“Not a chance,” Rogue said quickly and slipped out into the hall, the key ring from the guard who was currently bleeding out in his cell in her hand. “Logan can you stand guard?”

“We’re gonna talk later Kid,” Logan said eying the young woman he trusted with his life or rather with his soul. She had no idea just what it was that she’d risked coming to his aid, but he did and if it took the rest of his life he was going to make sure she never wound up in a place like this again. Never saw the darkness that was this hell again.

Seeing an advancing guard he glanced behind him to where Rogue was letting others out. Thinking of someone other than his own escape at a time like this just went to prove how much of an effect she had on him. He’d never thought he’d see the day when he’d care enough to want to release others but then, he’d never imagined that he’d have a woman like Rogue love him. Slipping into the shadows, he waited impatiently, pushing his thoughts aside as his prey came within striking distance.

Grabbing the guard he broke his neck quickly before dragging him outta sight and stripping him carelessly. With a dark grin he grabbed the dead body and dragged him down the corridor to toss into a now empty cell. “Let’s see how you like it,” he grunted and hurried to grab the clothes he’d stolen.

“Logan, I need some help with this door,” Rogue grunted and leaned against it. For some reason there was no key, but she could smell someone inside.

“You can’t open it,” the voice was soft, dull, and totally accepting.

“Why not?” Rogue demanded slamming into the door with her shoulder.

“I’ve been here for a long, long time. That door hasn’t been opened in years probably. Go, get the rest to safety..”

“But,” Rogue protested.


“Go. You can’t help me.”

“Come on kid, we’re gonna have to get the rest of them out of here!” Logan pulled on Rogue’s arm, dragging her away from the last cell. His senses told him the occupant was as good as dead, there really wasn’t anything they could do for her.

Suddenly everyone froze in the corridor even as they heard the loud blasts of the sirens start and the flashing red of the security lights. “Do you think they realized we’re not in our cells?” a small, delicately featured girl asked.

“No,” Rogue shook her head and glanced at Logan. “If they knew they’d have guards down here.”

“We have to get out now!” Logan barked wondering what they’d given him in that injection that would allow his senses, his body to regain control. Glancing around frantically he ignored the strong odor of fear within the corridor even as Rogue froze in place. “Kid, come on we gotta move.”

“I’m thinking,” Rogue replied shortly and smiled at him easily. “Come on I know a way out.”

“How?” a tall, spindly looking man with blue skin and yellow hair demanded uneasily.

“Memorized the blue prints for this place. The only part of this building that doesn’t have laser security is the ventilation system. If we can get into the main duct we can get out, there’s an underground tunnel that leads to the outside.”

“Show me,” Logan demanded pushing Rogue along with a hand on her back. “And for fuck sakes keep your head down!”

“Yes dear,” Rogue grinned at Logan and ducked into the nearest cell. “See that grate? It leads to the ventilation corridors within the walls of this place. Once we get up into it we’ll have to move fast, these bastards are bound to figure out..” Rogue stopped suddenly when a large blast had everyone whirling around to face the new threat.

Jerking off her other glove, Rogue noted Logan’s claws coming out with a sickening screech and tensed. Whatever was coming would be at the mercy of Logan’s rage. With the others pressed behind them, Rogue stood slightly behind Logan ready to face this new threat even as a rather familiar smell reached her.

“Thank God you’re safe,” Jean Grey stared at Rogue who glared at her for a split second before turning and glancing up. “Logan you okay?”

“Fine,” Logan grunted and glanced at Rogue who was busy staring at the ventilation grate. “Kid?”


“Shh, I’m concentrating,” Rogue replied lifting a hand and focusing on the screws. Hearing the soft ping as they dropped onto the floor she smiled slightly before the grate fell with a clatter. “Shall we?”

“We’ve got a secure exit this way,” Jean protested uneasily. “Its just as easy, and that way we’ll all get out.”

“Then take them,” Logan grunted gesturing to the huddled group of mutants watching in silence. “They need medical treatment, and a safe place to rest up for a while.”

“What about you?” Jean stared at Logan who shrugged and smirked coldly.

“Got something to do.”

“Logan you can’t be serious.”

“I think he is,” Rogue shot back and donned her gloves easily.

“We’ll discuss your being here when we get home,” Jean hissed angrily even as she glanced up to see Scott joining them. “We have more than one prisoner to remove.”

“So I see,” Scott eyed the odd ball group of mutants in rather disgusting, ratty clothes if they had any at all for a moment. Many had scars, and were in desperate need of a bath, and a hot meal before too long. “I’m Cyclops, this is Jean Grey you’re safe now.”

“Save it One-eye,” Logan grunted and glanced at Rogue. “Up or out?”

“Up. We can travel pretty far before we’re seen.”

“Storm’s on the outside, by the fences. She’s waiting for us to meet her there and giving these pricks a taste of bad weather,” Scott said softly knowing Logan wasn’t quite ready to leave just yet.

“We’ll be there,” Logan promised as he helped Rogue up into the shaft. “Get these people to safety.”

“Yeah guys, this place is rigged to explode if they decide to use it. There’s a thirty minute delay so you got a few minutes but you need to get the hell out now!”

“We’re going,” Scott said shoving Jean in front of him and waving the other mutants out of the room

“Logan?”


“Just go,” Rogue heard Scott grumble even as she started up the shaft toward the main control room.

“You shouldn’t be here,” Logan whispered eying Rogue steadily as they paused at a wide part of the shaft. “You shouldn’t have to see this.”

Rogue smiled softly as she faced him in the dingy light, “I see this in my nightmares Logan. There isn’t anything that I wouldn’t face for you. You should know that by now,” Rogue said and started crawling soundlessly along the pipe.

“Yeah, I guess I should,” Logan agreed watching the young woman he’d watched grow from a scrawny kid into the woman he knew. They’d shared a lot of firsts over the years and he knew that nothing could ever break the bond they shared but would it be enough to face down the X-men?



Storm gasped as she saw the familiar figure of Jean hurrying toward her along with numerous other mutants. Sending a lightening bolt through the air and into the building knocking out the electricity she faced Jean quickly.

“Uh that’s more than one,” she whispered quickly scanning the small crowd that was growing.

“Everyone but the guards and Logan and Rogue,” Jean panted softly. “Damn fools are still in there!”

“They’ve got five minutes before the place goes kaboom!” Storm said looking steadily at Jean who didn’t appear too concerned. “Jean? If that place goes up..”

“Maybe then she’ll listen,” Jean snapped and stalked past Storm.

“What was that all about?” Storm asked Scott who stood there studying her easily.

“Jean’s just jealous that Rogue managed to get Logan out before we even got there,” Scott admitted tiredly. “This is falling apart faster than sugar melting.”

“I know,” Storm spoke softly. It was true, Scott and Jean’s relationship was fading faster than anyone could believe and the thing was Logan wasn’t at fault. He treated Jean with the same respect he showed the other women at the mansion but that was it. There was no physical contact between them, no long, lingering looks, and no late night television marathons.

Rather Logan saved that for Rogue, he catered to her exclusively. He was often home at curfew, easily found in the games room watching television or playing foosball, or sitting there reading while Rogue leaned on him. Any physical contact was between Logan and Rogue with the exception of in the Danger Room and even there, Logan didn’t square off against any of the other women. Instead he’d spar with Rogue, or fight with any of the guys at the mansion.


“Wake up Storm,” Scott sighed softly, “We’ll figure it out later. Right now we have two missing team members.”

“Rogue will kill for him,” Storm held Scott’s arm softly, her voice steady, her gaze sure. “The look in her eyes when she found his file, when she learnt what they did to him was so cold. I’ve never seen anyone look like that - except for Logan that day at the statue.”

“I know,” Scott sighed softly and watched the group as they boarded the jet. It was more than the plane could carry safely but they didn’t have a choice. They had to get them all to safety.. His thoughts were interrupted when a loud explosion tore across the grounds shattering the building in one section.

“Logan! Rogue!” Storm screamed as she threw up her hands to ward off the effects of the explosion.

“Quit yellin’,” Logan’s low growl had her jumping and turning to face the pair who watched them easily. “Come on, Rogue set off a series of explosion right after we deactivated the doors.”

“Logan there’s people in there!” Scott gaped at him.

“Yeah, I know,” Logan shrugged. “People that deserve to die.”

“Logan,” Scott shrugged. There really was no point in arguing with him, the mood he was in he was likely to skewer someone if they pissed him off. Catching the smile on Rogue’s face as she turned and followed Logan he felt a chill invade his body. Someone was going to get an earful and he wasn’t sure it was a good thing.

The flight back to New York was quiet, even as Jean struggled to treat mutants who didn’t want to be touched. With a soft sigh she glanced at Logan who sat next to Rogue staring straight ahead, his fists clenching and unclenching repeatedly.

“Logan you okay?” Jean asked softly walking over to him and leaning on the seat in front of Rogue. “You need something.”

“Not from you,” Logan snapped back angrily. It didn’t take a genius or his super senses to tell him that there was more than a little animosity directed at Rogue from the red-haired doctor. Cracking his neck he glanced at her coldly, “How long till we land?”

“Another twenty minutes,” Scott replied seriously and looked at Jean. “Once we do the Professor will want a debriefing. Shouldn’t take very long!”

“Good. I need a shower,” Logan grunted before falling silent again. Leaning back in his seat, Logan swallowed hard his mind jumbled with images, scents that were too confusing. He wasn’t sure if the images were real or not but they bothered him none the less.


“They’re real Logan,” Rogue whispered sadly. “Very real. Those images are old memories from before, when you got your claws.”

“I kinda figured that,” Logan muttered under his breath and shifted, putting an extra inch between him and Rogue. He felt dirty, used, and the feelings only fed a ready temper making him boil with rage.

“Don’t shut me out Logan,” Rogue pleaded softly looking down at her hands. “I’d do anything for you, I love you.”

“Alright everyone. Find a seat. We’re landing now,” Scott called noting Logan and Rogue were deep in a conversation.

“You shouldn’t,” Logan looked at Rogue steadily. “You should love someone clean.”

Rogue shrugged, “You are clean. Inside, where it matters Logan you’re just as clean as I am.”

“No..”

“Relax. We’ll get you a shower, something decent to eat, and a few hours of good solid sleep and you’ll be fine.”

Logan shook his head as he stared at the unbending faith of the woman next to him. The mere fact that she’d risked everything for him humbled him in a way that none of the shit and abuse he’d suffered ever could. She looked at him and saw a man, not perfect by any means, but one who deserved the faith and adoration she could give.


Charles eyed the group that currently was exiting the Blackbird, many were weak, and all were tormented. Even those who had been on the mission were tormented, and he studied them all as they disembarked.

“I see you were successful,” he smiled at Storm who shrugged and glanced behind her at Logan who was currently hopping down from the plane.

“Rogue got Logan, I guess that means the mission was a success,” Storm sighed. “But the rest of it was a miserable, tangled up mess.”

“Rest?”

Storm nodded and looked pointedly at Scott and Jean who were still by the Blackbird. Jean stood with her back to Scott and the young man was busy counting heads, and watching Logan. Even without telepathy, Storm could tell that their relationship was long over. There was a chasm between them that she doubted anyone could breech.


“I see what you mean,” Charles said softly. “Debriefing will be in one hour. Give everyone a chance to shower and grab something to eat. We’ll meet in the hall.”

“I’m not so sure that the rescuee’s can handle going over what happened to them this soon,” Storm paused cautiously.

“I merely want to ascertain who played what part in the rescue. I don’t believe details of their treatments will be necessary just yet,” Charles said as Rogue walked up and pulled a small black case out of one pocket.

“Here,” Rogue handed it the Professor. “There are three disks in there; two have the files on these people. One is the blueprints, security features, and staff profiles from the lab and several others just like it.”

“That was very astute of you,” Charles smiled at her as he took the package.

“No it wasn’t. I took the information because I wanted to know as much as possible about what they did to Logan and who to hurt for it. If you can use that information now to help with future rescue missions than so be it. I got what I went after,” Rogue declared and moved away from him to where Logan stood.

“Come on sugar, lets get you a hot shower,” Rogue smiled at Logan and took his hand leading him from the room. She knew that things wouldn’t be easy, that there was a lot of memories floating around in his head, memories that if left untouched would destroy him. With the determination of a woman in love she smiled at him as she ushered him into her bedroom and into the cheery bathroom she shared with her girls, “Strip down sugar, I’ll get you some clean clothes.”

“Nothing in green,” Logan snarled low as she disappeared and he took the uniform off, shredding it before dropping it into the trash can. Sinking onto the toilet he stared at the floor his mind awash with fresh images that fueled his nightmares. So lost in the desecration within his mind that he didn’t notice the door open he jumped, extending his claws when his senses told him he was no longer alone.

“Logan are you sure you’re okay?” Jean’s soft voice had him gritting his teeth.

“I’m fine. Do I look like I need a doctor?” he snarled angrily and rose to his full height. For some reason he didn’t trust her, didn’t trust what she was saying. He could smell the scent of her desire wafting toward him with her perfume and that set him on edge. Arousal whether male or female was linked to pain, to violation and he wanted nothing to do with it.

“Logan, just because you heal quickly doesn’t mean that your mind does,” Jean said softly noting the anger in his eyes. She glanced behind her sharply at the sudden increase in anger and stared at Rogue who eyed her with blatant hostility.


“Get out,” Rogue ordered. “Before I forget I’m a lady and show you out.”

“He needs to be checked over.”

“I’ll be only too happy to inspect every inch of his body. Now get away from him Jean.”

With a shake of her head, Jean stalked out of the room and closed the bedroom door firmly. Damn fools.

“Wouldn’t fall for it huh?” Scott demanded as he walked past her headed for the shower in their room. “You should have known that, Rogue’s here.”

“Scott grow up. I’m a doctor..”

“Oh shut up Jean,” Scott whirled to face her squarely. “We both know you’ve been after Logan right from the moment he touched you. Save your little wounded act for someone who’ll buy it.”

“Scott!”

“Oh and I’m moving out of our room. I talked to the Professor and he said it wasn’t going to be a problem.”

“I can’t believe you,” Jean huffed. “You act like I’m trying to seduce Logan.”

“Trying pretty hard,” Scott nodded and walked away. “Debriefing is a few minutes; you might want to get ready for it.”

Hearing the shower come on, Jean glanced at the closed bedroom door before moving down the hall. She’d talk to Logan later, after everyone was settled until then she’d let things lie.


“Easy now,” Rogue whispered ushering Logan into the shower and crawling in after him. Picking up her soap she lathered the bar before she started on his skin, being careful not to touch him too intimately.

“Why do I think this isn’t the first time we’ve done this?” Logan asked her with a slight frown.

“Cause it ain’t. I did this a few months back when you went on that mission. Wouldn’t let you outta my sight for a couple of days.”

“Why are you doing this Marie? Why do you..?”

“Because I love you,” Marie whispered looking at him steadily, seeing the ghosts in his eyes and knowing that there wasn’t much she could do to vanquish them until he let her in. “Because I’ve walked in your shoes.”


“My mind is so fucked. I can remember some things but not others. Everything is so jumbled, so twisted.”

Rogue smiled softly, “Let me in Logan. Let me help you untie those knots.”

With the patience Rogue didn’t know she possessed she stood there letting the hot water beat down on her, soaking the clothes she still wore, washing the soap from Logan’s body along with the grime, the urine, blood, and other substances dried on his skin. Staring into his eyes she didn’t so much as flinch when the darkness pressed at him, until he shrugged slightly and smiled at her.

“Hope you can untie really complicated knots darlin’,” Logan replied softly.

“If I can think of a way for us to make love, I think I can undo a couple of knots. Now then, bend over so I can wash your hair, hope you don’t mind strawberry scented shampoo.”

“Anything is better than disinfectant,” Logan admitted letting her guide him into position, letting her clean him, her small hands moving over his skin searching, questing, seeking out wounds, and soothing the invisible scars. “And I think I like strawberries.”

Laughing softly, Rogue nodded. She’d have Logan back in no time and perhaps answer some of those questions he was so desperate to answer. “Yeah, I kinda do to.”


Sitting in his office Charles glanced at the clock he still had a few minutes before the debriefing and he uploaded the disks into his computer and opened the file marked Wolverine. Reading through it he felt sickened and the lecture he intended for Rogue slid from his mind as he realized that the man had survived more than just a few cuts and bruises.

Leaning back in his chair Charles eyed the screen for a moment more before glancing out the window, he wondered if Jean really understood that Logan wasn’t something she could handle. This wasn’t like her other flings; Logan was an enigma, a puzzle with a few pieces missing. Rogue was the only one who understood Logan because in a lot of ways Rogue was Logan.

“This is one time I don’t relish being a telepath,” he whispered softly to himself before shutting down his computer and heading for the hall. It was time that they got to the bottom of the details, and he got a first hand glimpse into the workings of Rogue and Logan’s minds. Feeling a tightening in his chest Charles sighed softly, perhaps this meeting would not reveal more than what Rogue had gone through to get her lover back – perhaps he knew more about how they would deal with the other than he’d ever imagined.

The end
This story archived at http://wolverineandrogue.com/wrfa/viewstory.php?sid=299