Silence by NutMeggz
Summary: A Rogue with extra powers, Sabertooth attacking later, different events take place.
Categories: AU, X1 Characters: None
Genres: Action, Friendship, General
Tags: None
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: No Word count: 6077 Read: 1865 Published: 07/01/2008 Updated: 07/01/2008

1. Chapter 1 by NutMeggz

Chapter 1 by NutMeggz
Author's Notes:
Disclaimer: I own nothing, marvel and who ever do.
This is my first published fic. Tell me what you think, don't hold back.
Marie D’Acanto had the life every girl dreamed of. She knew this and occasionally she wished she didn’t. She was, in simple terms, a Southern Bell. She lived in a large house in Meridian Mississippi, with maids, cooks, a butler, and a driver. She was head cheerleader and was dating the quarterback of the football team. She studied hard and got strait A+’s in all her classes, and as she had been reminded constantly, was beautiful. She was slender with long curly dark brown hair and ivory coloured skin. She had large, clear green eyes that were framed with long, thick lashes. But everything changed when she got her first kiss when she was 15.

“Then over the Canadian Rockies and into Anchorage,” Marie told Cody.
“That’ll be cold,” Cody said, lounging on her bed.
“That’s the point stupid,” Marie said with a laugh, lying down beside him. “Or else it wouldn’t be an adventure!”
Cody smiled and Marie was suddenly aware of how close they were. She licked her lips and watched as Cody came closer. Closing her eyes she felt Cody press his lips to hers and then a strange pulling sensation. Pulling back she screamed as Cody went into a seizure.
“Marie?” her mother cried, running into the room with her father.
“Call an ambulance!” Mr. D’Acanto told his wife.
“Marie?” Mrs. D’Acanto asked, coming towards her.
“Don’t touch me!” Marie screamed.
“An ambulance!” Mr. D’Acanto cried. “Now!”
Mrs. D’Acanto glanced at Marie and then ran out of the room. Marie turned and locked herself in her bathroom and slid down the door and listened as an ambulance came up to her house and Cody was taken out to the ambulance and taken to the hospital.
“Marie?” Mrs. D’Acanto called through the door. “Honey? Can you come out?”
“Go away!” Marie cried. “Go away! Leave me alone!”
“Honey,” Mr. D’Acanto said. “Please?”
“NO!” Marie cried. “Go away! Leave me alone!”
She heard her parents leave and bit back a sob. She could hear her mother talking to Cody’s parents on the phone. Her parents tried to make her come out to eat but eventually gave up. Marie stayed in the bathroom until she was sure they were in bed and asleep. Opening the door she looked around her room. She could feel a tingling under her skin.
I’m a mutant, she thought to herself. A mutant like those mutants they talk about on TV. Momma and Daddy hate them. They’ll kick me out. What will I do?
Get out of here, Cody’s voice filled her mind. Before they find out.
I’m going crazy, Marie thought. I’m hearing voices.
No you’re not, Cody said. I’m in your head now. You touched me and you absorbed me. You’d better leave.
Rogue pushed the voice back and crossed to her closet. Opening it, she pulled out her green duffle bag and her black book bag. Quickly packing some clothes and shoes into the duffle bag and some of her new notebooks and pencils and pens into her book bag she wrote a note to her parents and went downstairs. Stopping in the kitchen only to get the emergency money out she slipped out of the house and made her way to the bus depot.

Eight months later~Laughlin City

“Watch out!” Rogue cried out, as a guy with a knife came at the man at the bar. He turned and the blade missed him. Pushing the guy back the man extended some claws from his knuckles and pushed them against the throat of the guy.
“Get out Freak!” the barman shouted at the guy who had claws. “Freaks aren’t welcome here!”
Rogue watched as the man glanced around and sheathed his claws and stalked out of the bar. Rogue glanced around and then grabbed her duffle and book bag and followed him out.
“Wait,” Rogue called after him. He spun around and glared at her.
“What do you want kid,” he snarled. “Got something to say about freaks and muties?”
“No,” Rogue said, looking down. “I need a ride. Your a mutant.”
“So you ask for a ride,” he growled. “Gonna tell everyone you meet?”
“No,” Rogue said hesitantly. “I’m a mutant too.”
The man stared at her and then reached out a hand. She hesitated and handed him her duffle bag. He tossed it into his trailer and motioned for her to get into his truck. Rogue scrambled in and did up the seat belt.
“Got a name?” he asked her.
“Rogue,” Rogue said, glancing out the window.
“What kind of name is Rogue?” the man asked her.
“I dunno,” Rogue said. “What kind of name is Wolverine?”
The man smiled slightly and glanced at her.
“I like you,” he said finally. “You’ve got some sass under all that. My name’s Logan.”
“Marie,” Rogue said. “Is your claws your only mutation?”
“No,” he said, pulling onto the highway. “I’ve got enhanced senses. And strength. What about you?”
“I’ve got poisonous skin,” Rogue said, looking down at her gloved hands.
“Poisonous skin?” Logan asked.
“When I touch someone,” Rogue explained. “I get their memories, knowledge, personalities, and their life. With mutants I also get their powers. I found that out the hard way.”
“How?” Logan asked, glancing at the young girl.
“I met a mutant,” she said. “He was big on the whole mutants are better stuff and he didn’t like that I thought he was wrong. So he attacked me and I grabbed his face with my bare hands. He died and I got his mutation. Telekinesis and telepathy and force fields of some sort.”
“Hard on him,” Logan said, chewing on a cigar. “How old are you? Laughlin City ain’t any place for a kid.”
“I’m 17!” Rogue said indignantly.
“I’ll believe that when you turn 17,” Logan shot back. “I can smell lies.”
“I’m 15,” Rogue said softly. “You should put your seat belt on.”
“Look kid,” Logan said, annoyed at her. “I don’t need advice from a 15 year old kid on automobile stuff.”
“Sorry,” Rogue said, but out of the corner of her eye she saw Logan do up his seat belt. “Were are you going?”
“Dunno,” Logan said. “You care?”
“Not really,” Rogue said. “As far from Mississippi as I can get.”
“Pretty far from there now,” Logan commented.
“You got anything to eat?” Rogue asked, hoping it wasn’t too much.
Logan glanced at Rogue and then reached over and pulled out some beef jerky. Tossing it in her lap they continued on in silence.
“Hungry?” Logan asked her hours later, right as it started to get dark.
“A bit,” Rogue said. “Why?”
“Bar,” Logan said, nodding towards the bar. “I’ll get you something.”
“You don’t have to,” Rogue said. “I can just...”
“I’m not leaving a 15 year old kid alone after dark,”Logan interrupted her. ”Come on.”
Rogue followed him into the bar and slid into a seat. Logan sat down and glanced around.
“Can I help you?” the waitress asked, sounding board.
“Beer,” Logan said. “And a burger. And what ever the kid’s having.”
“Burger,” Rogue said. “Thanks.”
The girl nodded and left. Logan tilted his chair back and looked at Rogue.
“Why are you running?” he asked her finally.
“My parents would have found out,” Rogue said. “That I was a mutant. I kissed a guy and he ended up in the hospital. In a coma. So I left. My parents and the rest of the town drove out the last mutant that came.”
“Tough,” Logan said as the waitress returned with their food. “You got cage fights?”
“Yah,” the waitress said. “Starts in 20.”
“Book me in,” Logan said. “Wolverine.”
He ate his burger and turned to Rogue to watch her finish eating hers.
“I want you in the front,” he told her. “Where I can see you.”
Nodding Rogue rose and followed Logan to the cage and sat down in the front. Logan fought 4 guys before he noticed Rogue was gone. Quickly knocking out the last guy he stepped from the cage and grabbed his shirt and jacket and grabbed his money. Cutting through the crowd he sniffed and made his way out to the back alley.
“Hey bub,” Logan growled. “Get away from her.”
The man turned and Rogue screamed as he kicked her again. Logan snarled and extended his claws. The man threw Logan back and turned to Rogue. Rogue lifted her hands to try to fend him off and he grabbed them. Rogue gasped as his mind and powers flooded into her body. Pushing him back she pressed her back against the wall and brought her knees up and wrapped her arms around them. The man stumbled backwards and looked at her before turning and running. Logan got up and turned to Rogue who was rocking back and forth slightly.
“Kid?” he asked, crouching in front of her. “Rogue?”
“No,” she whimpered. “No, don’t hurt me. Please.”
“Marie,” Logan said, gently turning her to him. “I’m not going to hurt you. It’s me, Logan. Come on kid.”
“No,” Rogue cried, tears slipping down her cheeks. “No, don’t touch me. Don’t hurt me.”
“Marie,” Logan said. “It’s me, it’s Logan.”
“Logan?” Rogue whispered, looking at him.
“I’m here,” Logan whispered, pulling her closer and hugging her. “It’s okay, he’s gone. He’s not going to hurt you.”
“He’s in my head,” Rogue whispered, clinging to Logan. “He’s in my head.”
Logan pushed her back and examined her.
“Did he hurt you?” Logan asked. “Badly?”
“No,” Rogue whispered, and jerked back when Logan reached out to her.
“It’s okay,” Logan said. “I’m not going to hurt you. I promise.”
Rogue eyed him and then let him gently run his fingers down her arms to check for injuries. Then he gently pulled her up.
“Come on kid,” Logan said. “Let’s get out of here.”
Rogue was still trembling slightly.
“I’ll take care of you,” Logan said. “I’ll protect you. Come on.”
“Promise?” Rogue whispered.
“Yah,” Logan said, gently steering her out to the truck. “I promise.”
Logan tucked her into the truck and was about to buckle her up when he heard a growl from behind him. Rogue screamed as Logan was lifted and thrown away. She shrank back as the man reappeared and lifted her out of the truck by her neck. She whimpered softly and gasped as a red beam shot out from their right and hit the man. She crumpled to the ground and curled into a ball, rocking back and forth. A woman crouched down in front of her.
“Are you okay?” she asked. Rogue shrank back from her and whimpered softly.
“It’s okay,” a man crouched down as well. He had an odd visor over his eyes that were red. “We’re not going to hurt you. We came to help.”
Rogue’s eyes darted back and forth from them and landed on the woman who had long white hair and brown skin.
~Help?~ she sent hesitantly. The woman’s eyes widened.
“Yes,” she said. “I’m Ororo Munroe. Storm. Are you a telepath?”
~Safe?~ Rogue asked. ~Not hurt?~
“We’re not going to hurt you,” Storm said softly. “We can take you someplace safe. What’s your name?”
~Rogue,~ Rogue thought to her. ~Logan okay?~
“Your friend?” Storm asked. “Your dad?”
Rogue shook her head and curled up tighter.
“Scott!” the red haired woman called over to the man. “I need some help lifting him. He’s really heavy.”
Scott got up and went over to the red haired woman and Storm stayed in front of Rogue.
“Rogue,” Storm said softly. “Will you come with us? We can help Logan.”
Rogue hesitated and looked past Storm to were Scott and the red head were lifting Logan. Scott was lifting him and the red head was using her hands to lift him with out touching.
“Jean’s a doctor,” Storm said. “She can help him, and you.”
Rogue nodded slowly and uncurled herself from her ball. Rising slowly she wavered and Storm gently stepped forward and slipped and arm around Rogue’s waist, helping her limp over to Logan.
“His name’s Logan,” Storm told Jean. “This is Rogue. She’s a telepath. She’s not talking.”
“She’s probably in shock,” Jean said. “Let’s get them to the Blackbird.”
Storm nodded and they followed Jean and Scott through the trees and into a clearing were a jet was sitting. Rogue kept her eyes on Logan as they lay him on a bench. Storm led her to a seat at the front of the jet and gently buckled her up. Scott appeared and started getting the jet ready with Storm. Rogue just sat in her seat and didn’t do anything. She didn’t notice them flying over the border and into the states. When they finally did land she let Storm help her off and followed Jean and Scott to the Med lab. Storm helped her up onto a bed and helped her take her boots off. Rogue winced as her right ankle turned slightly. She tensed as a man in a wheelchair wheeled in.
“Is everything all right?” he asked, coming over to Storm.
“Professor Xavier,” Storm said. “This is Rogue. Rogue, this is Professor Xavier.”
“Hello Rogue,” the Professor said with a smile. Rogue didn’t say anything.
“She hasn’t talked,” Storm told him. “She’s a telepath. But all I got from her was her name and Logan’s name.”
“Logan?” the Professor asked, turning as Jean appeared.
“He’s fine,” Jean said. “He’s already healed. I’m want to take some X-Rays and blood samples. Rogue, hun, I’m going to have to wrap this up. Okay?”
Rogue nodded slightly felt the Professor try to read her mind. She threw up the strongest shields she could and tensed up.
“I’m sorry Rogue,” the Professor said gently. “That was rude of me. I should have asked.”
Jean glanced at the Professor as she wrapped a tenser bandage around Rogue’s ankle and then back at Rogue.
“Storm,” the Professor said. “Why don’t you show Rogue around? We’ll put her in a room on your floor for know. Until we know more.”
“Okay,” Storm said, waiting for Rogue to put on her boots.
“Not too much walking,” Jean warned Rogue. “I want you to come see me tomorrow so I can check on that ankle. Okay?”
Rogue nodded and followed Storm out of the Med lab.

Five weeks later

When Logan woke up the first thing he thought was that he was back in the lab.
“Hello Logan,” came a voice from the door. “It’s good you’re awake.”
“Awake?” Logan asked. “Where am I?”
“You are in the Med Lab at Xavier’s School for Gifted Youngsters,” the red haired woman said. “I’m Dr. Jean Grey.”
“Where's the kid?” Logan demanded, sitting up.
“Rogue?” Jean asked. “Probably in the library.”
“How is she?” Logan asked, watching Jean out of the corner of his eye.
“She’s fine,” a voice came from the door. “Hello Logan, I’m Professor Charles Xavier.”
“You own the school or something?” Logan asked.
“This is my mansion,” Professor Xavier said. “I have turned it into the school and headquarters for the X Men. How much can you tell me about yourself and of Rogue?”
“Why haven’t you asked Rogue?” Logan asked him.
“Rogue has not talked to anyone,” a second woman said, entering the lab.
“Not talked?” Logan asked her. “Who are you?”
“I’m Ororo Munroe,” she answered. “Or Storm. And I mean what I said. She hasn’t talked at all since we found her. Even then all she did was talk to me with her mind.”
“We have figured out that you have accelerated healing,” Jean said. “And the claws. What else?”
“Enhanced senses,” Logan said, slightly uncomfortable under their gazes as he talked. “And strength.”
“What about Rogue?” Storm asked. “She’s a telepath?”
“Not exactly,” Logan said. “From what she told me, she absorbs the life energy of people, and their memories and knowledge. If their mutant she also gets their powers. She met a mutant and they didn’t agree on mutant superiority. She didn’t like that so he attacked her I think. She touched him and he died, and she has his powers now.”
“I wondered why she always wore gloves,” Jean said. “And she never let anybody touch her. She’s shy, quiet. Well, she doesn’t speak at all. Good in school though. Do you know how long she’d been running?”
“Eight months I think,” Logan said. “She’s from Mississippi.”
“I just called Scott,” the Professor said. “He’s bringing her down. Perhaps she will talk to you.”
The door opened a second later and Scott entered with Rogue behind him. Rogue’s eyes darted around the lab for a second before landing on Logan. She hesitated for barely a second before dropping her book bag and running the rest of the way to wrap her arms around his neck.
“Hey kid,” Logan said, hugging her back. Rogue moved her head slightly so her mouth was right near his ear.
“He hurt you,” she whispered incredibly softly.
“I’m fine,” Logan assured her. “You gonna start talking now?”
Rogue shook her head.
“Okay,” Logan said. “Nobody’s gonna make you.”
Rogue slowly let go and glanced around the room.
“Rogue,” the Professor said with a smile. “Why don’t you show Logan around the mansion? Logan, there’s some clothes behind the curtain.”
Logan went behind the curtain and quickly changed. When he came out only Rogue was in the lab. She smiled and picked up her book bag and slipped the strap over her shoulder.
“Where to first?” Logan asked, wrapping an arm around Rogue’s shoulders. Rogue led him up to the main entrance and up the main stairs.
“The library,” Logan said, looking around. “How nice. You like it here?”
Rogue nodded and smiled. Then she gently tugged on his arm. She led him through the rec. room, the kitchen, the TV room, the gardens and the stables. Then she pulled him up to the room Storm had readied for Logan and opened the door.
“A room,” Logan said. “With my stuff in it. My room I’m guessing.”
Rogue nodded and wandered over to the window. Logan opened the closet and then the drawers of the dresser. They were filled with clothes that would all fit him. He turned to Rogue as she tugged on his sleeve slightly.
“Kid?” Logan asked. Rogue bit her lip and then reached out with her mind.
~Logan~ she thought to him hesitantly.
“Rogue?” he asked.
~Can I try something?~ she thought to him.
“What do you want to try?” Logan asked. Rogue raised her fingers to Logan’s temples and looked him in the eyes. Logan felt something tingle in his mind and then slowly, images and feelings came into his mind. He realised what was happening. Rouge was showing him her life, her memories. Then she pulled back with the memory of her giving him the memories.
“You didn’t have to do that,” Logan whispered to her.
~Wanted to,~ Rogue thought do him. “So you know.”
“You don’t have to talk,” Logan said. “Not if you don’t want to.”
“I’m scared,” Rogue whispered.
“It’s okay,” Logan said softly. “I’m here. I’m fine.”
Rogue smiled slightly and picked up her book bag. Logan tucked a strand of her hair behind her ear.
“I’ll see you at dinner,” Logan said. “Okay?”
Rogue nodded and left. Logan looked after her, not wanting to admit that he was worried about her.
“Did she talk?” Storm asked from the door.
“Yes,” Logan said. “Barely. Is there a guitar store nearby?”
“A guitar store?” Storm asked.
“She likes to play the guitar,” Logan said. “I’m going to bye her one.”
“I’ll come with you,” Storm said. “I know were one is. Come on.”
Logan followed Storm out of his room and down to the garage.
“Wow,” Logan said, staring at all the cars.
“Most of them are Scott’s,” Storm said with a smile. “He buys them and fixes them up. We’ll take the blue one.”
“Nice cars,” Logan said, impressed.
“Boys,”Storm said, rolling her eyes. “And their cars.”
She drove off the school property and about half and hour to a small community. Pulling up in front of a small store with guitars in the window she and Logan entered.
“What do you know of guitars?” Storm asked Logan.
“Not much,” Logan said. “You?”
“No,” Storm laughed. “But the owners a friend of mine. So you’ll get a good deal. James?”
“Ororo!” James came out from the back. “How good to see you! How are you?”
“I’m good,” Storm said, hugging him. “This is Logan, a friend from the school. He’s new. He wants to buy a guitar for...” Storm hesitated for a second before continuing. “For his daughter. Neither of us know anything about guitars. Care to help?”
“Of course!” James said. “This daughter of yours, you know her well?”
“Not really,” Logan said, going along with the story Storm made up. “She lived with her mother.”
“Ah,” James said. “How old is she?”
“Just turned 15,” Logan said, following James.
“How tall is she?” James asked. “Hair colour? Eye colour? Favourite food? Tell me everything you can. I can tell a lot about someone from that.”
“She’s shorter than Ororo,” Logan said, glancing at Storm. “By about a head. Chestnut hair, green eyes. Her favourite food’s parogies, favourite dessert is lime sherbert. She hates chocolate. Cutest little southern accent.”
“What kind of green eyes?” James asked. “Moss green? Emerald green?”
“Emerald,” Logan said. “Brightest green I’ve seen.”
“Hmmmm,” James said. “I’m assuming she likes acoustic, not electric.”
“Yah,” Logan said. “She likes to write songs.”
“I’ve got the perfect guitar,” James said with a smile. “45% off for friends.”
Logan and Storm followed James to the back of the store and watched as he pulled out a beautiful black case with gold trimmings and designs on it. He placed it on the counter and opened it.
“$150,” James said. “Case included.”
Logan ran his hand over the guitar and then nodded.
“Excellent!” James beamed. “I’ve got some song books too. But perhaps just a certificate, that way she can pick her own out. But some writing books? For her to write songs in?”
“Sure,” Logan said, pulling out the money. James grabbed 4 note books and quickly gave Logan his change.
“Come again soon!” James called out as they went back to the car. Storm waved to James and they pulled back onto the highway.
“How do you know so much about her?” Storm asked. “You knew her for what? Barely a day before we found you?”
“She showed me,” Logan said. “I dunno, sort of like pushing her memories to me.”
“Interesting,” Storm said. “Why don’t you go put that in her room? I’ll find her.”
Logan went up to Rogue’s room and put the guitar on her bed with the notebooks and gift certificates. Rogue entered the room and looked at Logan.
~Storm said you had something to give me,~ she thought to him.
“On the bed,” Logan said, nodding to the bed. Rogue turned and stared at the guitar case on the bed. She moved over to it and opened the case, running her fingers over the guitar. Looking up at Logan, who smiled at her slightly, she smiled and turned. Wrapping her arms around Logan’s neck she hugged him tightly.
“Thank you,” she whispered.
“It’s fine,” Logan said. “You like playing.”
Rogue smiled and watched Logan leave. Picking up the guitar she settled back on her bed and closed her eyes, remembering the songs she had learned so long ago.

Later that night

Rogue woke up and heard the moans coming from across the hall. She knew it was Logan, he was having a nightmare. Part of her knew she shouldn’t go to him, but part of her wanted to wake him up so he didn’t have to deal with the nightmare. Slipping out of bed she padded out of her room and across to Logan’s room. Slipping in she left the door open and approached Logan’s bed.
~Logan?~ Rogue tried to reach him with her mind. There was nothing, she couldn’t find him.
“Logan?” Rogue whispered, aware that she didn’t have any gloves on. Logan snarled suddenly and sat up, his hand coming up. Rogue gasped as she felt the three blades cutting into her.
“Oh god,” Logan gasped a second later, pulling his blades back. “Rogue! Somebody help! Rogue, Help! Somebody Help!”
Rogue gasped slightly and reached out a hand. Her fingers touched his cheek softly and she felt the pull start. Logan’s memories, knowledge and personality flooded into her and she felt her senses heighten, felt the wounds close and then she pulled back and Logan fell. Jean and Scott were there, putting a pillow under his head. Rogue turned to Storm and looked at her.
~It was an accident,~ she thought to Storm and then she fled back to her room and locked the door. Curling up on her bed she tried to clear her mind. It was suddenly clear to her what she had done. If she had held on any longer Logan would have died. Jumping off her bed she quickly got dressed and sat down. They were right across the hall, she’d have to wait until the next day for them to leave before she left.

The next afternoon

Logan walked down the small aisle on the train and saw the green hood.
“Hey kid,” he said softly, sitting down. Rogue looked up at him and then back out the window. Logan looked at her and then sighed.
“I’m sorry about last night,” he said gently.
~Me too,~ Rogue sent him.
“You runnin’ again?” Logan asked her. Rogue looked at him and thought for a second.
~You think I should go back,~ she sent to him finally.
“I think you should follow your instincts,” Logan said, after a second. Rogue looked out the window and then back at him.
~The first boy I ever kissed ended up in a coma,~ she sent to him. ~I can still feel him in my head. It’s the same with you.~
Logan looked away for a second and then back at Rogue. She had her eyes closed, and there were tears sliding down her cheeks. Logan reached over and wrapped an arm around her shoulders. Pulling her closer he pressed her head to his shoulder.
“There’s not many people who would understand what you’re going through,” Logan said finally. “But I think this guy Xavier’s one of them. He seems to genuinely want to help you. And that’s a rare thing... for people like us.”
Rogue looked up at him and pulled back as the train jerked forward and started to move.
“What do you say?” Logan asked her. “Should we give these geeks one more try? I promised I’d take care of you.”
Rogue hesitated and smiled shyly. Her smile slid from her face as the train stopped, the lights began to flicker and metal screeched. Logan and Rogue both stood up and turned as the train began to rip apart. Logan pushed Rogue into a seat as a man floated into the train. Logan extended his claws and man stepped onto the ground.
“You must be Wolverine,” he said, Logan took a step forward and the stopped. “That remarkable metal doesn’t run through you entire body does it?”
Magneto flicked a hand and Logan was forced up and his claws began to separate. Logan moaned softly, then Magneto lifted him up, levitating him off the ground.
~Stop!~ Rogue projected. ~Stop it!~
“What the hell do you want with me?” Logan choked out.
“You?” Magneto said with a slight laugh. “My dear boy, who ever said I wanted you?”
Logan slowly turned his head and looked down at Rogue. Then people screamed as he was pushed backwards, hit the door and fell down, unconscious. Rogue stared at Magneto and then got up and began to run down the aisle towards Logan. Magneto moved his cloak and a needle flew out and after Rogue, hitting her in the neck.
“Young people,” he sighed.

That night in the Statue of Liberty

“Everybody get out,” Logan said as they came up into the head.
“Why?” Scott asked him.
“I can’t move,” Logan said, and then he was thrown backwards and hit the wall. The others were suddenly pulled back and attached to the wall with the metal bars.
“Ah, my brothers,” Magneto said, drifting down. “Welcome. And you, let’s point those claws of yours in a safer direction.”
Lifting a hand, Logan’s hands were forced up and pointed towards his chest. Sabertooth jumped down and walked towards Scott and Jean, who were facing each other.
“You’d better close your eyes,” Magneto said, as Sabertooth pulled off he visor. Scott’s eyes were closed tightly.
“Storm,” Scott said. “Fry him.”
“In a large copper conductor?” Magneto said with a laugh. “I thought you worked at a school? Why do none of you understand what I’m trying to do? Those people down there. They control our fate! And the fate of every other mutant! Well, soon our fate will be theirs.”
They all looked around at Rogue’s voice screamed.
“Help!” Rogue screamed, her voice breaking. “Please help me!”
“Your so full of shit,” Logan snarled. “If you were so righteous it’d be you in that thing.”
“Help!” Rogue screamed, a sob tearing from her throat. “Somebody help me!”
“Rogue,” Storm whispered softly. This was the most any of them, except Logan, had heard her talk. Magneto looked at them and then disappeared up to where Rogue was. Logan looked around as Rogue continued to scream for help and then grunted as he extended his claws. He fell to the floor and heard Sabertooth come over. Staying completely still he waited until Sabertooth was leaning over him to pick him up and then he attacked, sinking his claws into Sabertooth’s stomach.

“I’m sorry,” Magneto said, reaching his bare hands for Rogue’s face.
~Don’t do this,~ Rogue sent to him, shaking her head. Then she screamed as Magneto touched her face. Then she was unaware of what was happening. Everything was bright, quiet. She was sure she was screaming, but she couldn’t hear it. Flashes of her life filled her mind and she felt a sudden relaxation. If this is what dying is, Rogue thought to herself as everything started to fade. It isn’t so bad. Peaceful, relaxing.

Logan, Storm, Jean and Scott all stared up at the torch, were Rogue was screaming. Magneto was stumbling down.
“Gotta get her out of there,” Logan said, looking up at Rogue. “Cyclops, can you hit it?”
“It’s moving to fast,” Scott said.
“Just shoot it,” Logan said.
“I’ll kill her,” Scott cried. “Storm, can you get me up there?”
“I can’t control it like that,” Storm said. “You could fly right over the torch.”
“Then let me go,” Logan said. Scott turned to look at him. “If I don’t make it, then at least you can still blast the damn thing.”
“All right,” Scott said, nodding. “Do it. Jean, use your power, try to steady him.”
“Hold on to something,” Storm warned. They all watched as Logan went flying up and towards the torch. Jean raised a hand and tried to steady Logan. Logan grabbed the top of the machine and Storm and Jean let go. Logan jumped down and extended his claws, ready to stab the machine when he felt Magneto lift him. He fought against the feeling for a bit before a red beam it Magneto and Logan dropped down. Slashing the machine the purple light flashed out. He wrapped one arm around Rogue’s back and used the other to slash the chains holding her up. Pulling her to his chest he listened for her heart beat and breathing. Nothing.
“Come on kid,” Logan murmured, gently touching the white streaks in her hair and then pulling off his glove with his teeth. Raising a hand he pressed it to the side of Rogue’s face. He closed his eyes but felt tears fall down his face as nothing happened. Pulling her closer, he pressed his lips to her forehead and hugged her. Then he gasped as he felt the pull. Pain spread through his body as his wounds opened up again. Faintly he heard Rogue gasp and push him back, but then he blacked out. Rogue scrambled backwards and stared at Logan, his memories, personality and knowledge strengthening from what it had been before.

Three days later

Jean looked at Logan’s face. The scratches had disappeared. Lifting his bandages she ran her fingers over were the skin had been hurt. Lifting the last bandage she ran her fingers over his skin and Logan’s hand caught her hand.
“That tickles,” Logan said, moving his head slightly.
“How are you feeling?” Jean asked him.
“Fantastic,” Logan said, his eyes fluttering.
“That was a brave thing you did,” Jean said with a smile.
“Did it work?” Logan asked, looking around.
“Yah,” Jean said. “She’s fine. She took on a few of your more charming personality traits for a while.”
Logan laughed slightly.
“But we lived through it,” Jean said. “She doesn’t talk at all know. But she does talk with her mind. Better than nothing.”
Logan sat up and looked around.
Logan, the Professor’s voice filled his mind. I’d like to talk you.
“The Professor wants to talk to me,” Logan said, pulling on the clothes behind the curtain. Jean nodded and disappeared into the side room. Logan left the lab and made his way towards the Professor’s office.
“Come in Logan,” Professor Xavier called. Logan entered the office and glanced around. “I have some information you might like.”
“What kind of information?” Logan asked.
“There’s an abandoned military complex near were we found you,” the Professor said. “I have information that you were a part of something that happened there.”
“Were is it?” Logan asked.
“Alkali Lake,” Professor Xavier said. “Will you say good bye to them?”
Logan stayed quiet.
“Not even to Rogue?” the Professor asked.
“Good bye Professor,” Logan said, turning and leaving the office.
“I will see you soon Logan,” the Professor called after him. Logan didn’t stop, he just continued on up to his room and grabbed his bag. Tossing his clothes in it he made his way back down to the front doors. Pausing for a second he glanced into the rec. room and saw Rogue sitting at a table writing in a book. Turning he didn’t notice her glance up and follow him out.
~Hey,~ Rogue sent to Logan, standing in the doorway. ~You runnin’ again?~
“No,” Logan said. “Just some things to take care of up north.”
Rogue nodded and watched as Logan reached out and gently touched her white streak.
~I kind of like them,~ she sent. Logan smiled slightly. ~I don’t want you to go.~
Logan looked at her and then glanced at his bag. Reaching up he pulled his military tags off and slipped them around her neck.
“I’ll be back for these,” Logan promised. Rogue smiled and wrapped her arms around Logan’s neck.
~Promise?~ she sent to him.
“I promise,” Logan said, kissing the top of her head. Rogue stepped back and watched him leave. Then she returned to her studying.
This story archived at http://wolverineandrogue.com/wrfa/viewstory.php?sid=2973