Hello Darlin' by Tigress
Summary: An old bar with an old song.
Categories: X2 Characters: None
Genres: Songfic
Tags: None
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 857 Read: 1628 Published: 06/11/2008 Updated: 06/11/2008
Story Notes:
"Warning: If you know this song at all, I would have a least one tissue ready - or maybe that's just me." I heard this the other day and the first line, "Hello, Darlin'" just reminded me so much of Logan that I had to write this. Hope ya'll enjoy.

1. Chapter 1 by Tigress

Chapter 1 by Tigress
A small jingle of a tiny bell announced Logan's entrance into the gloomy bar. And he, just like any patron, could tell that the bar had seen better days, once upon a long time ago. Now, the bar was dull and dusty with years of acquired dirt and grit. With the fact that it was still daylight outside, not many people were in the bar at all. That was just fine for Logan, he had had enough of people the past three days to last him a long time.

Logan sat down at the bar and ordered a beer, but before he could even take one swallow the memories that he had been trying to out run caught up with him.

Hello, darlin', nice to see ya
It's been a long time
You're just as lovely as you used to be

He had come back to mansion for the same reason he had come back every other time. To see her, check up on her, make sure life was treating her ok. Somewhere in his mind he knew that she was old enough now to no longer need his protection, but he didn't want to take it back. Truth be told, he liked having a least one responsibility to someone. At least someone would miss him if he never came back. But, he never expected this.

How's your new love? Are you happy?
Hope you're doin' fine
Just to know means so much to me

So now, he had lost her. Except the perpetrator wasn't death, it was love. Someone else was there to take care of her now. It was no longer his obligation. But it was such sweetness; didn't she know that? Didn't she know that her smile was more than worth all his labor?

She was happy though, he could tell that much. Which is one reason why he didn't call out stop at the wedding even though that's all he wanted to do. They didn't even have time to talk until today, just as he was leaving. Why did he never talk to her unless he was leaving?

What's that, darlin? "How am I doin'?"
Guess I'm doin' all right
Except I can't sleep
And I cry all night till dawn

Her marriage was the closest thing that had ever brought him to tears. Not even Jean's death had made the little wet traitors appear. But as he looked at her from across his bike, staring at that simple gold ring and her brilliant smile, he just couldn't hold back this time. His pride was what had gotten him to this awful place in time anyway. So because of that, he had said a lot of things he probably shouldn't have, but needed to.

What I'm trying to say is
"I love you and I miss you,"
"And I'm so sorry that I did you wrong."

It wasn't until he looked up again that he realized there were tears in her eyes too. A life full of regrets, and only one will haunt him until his immortal grave. She did care, she still does, but he lost too much time with her expecting there to always be a next time. So he did the one thing he could, he said goodbye one last time.

Look up, darlin', let me kiss ya
Just for old time's sake
Let me hold you in my arms one more time

It was sweet, it was wonderful, and it was over far too fast. She stepped back, and he knew that the bridge was burning because he could feel the heat in his tattered soul. She was the only happiness he had ever found on Earth, and because of his stupidity he'd lost it.

Thank you, darlin', may God bless you
And may each step you take
Bring you closer to the thing you seek to find

Then Logan climbed on the bike and rode like the hounds of hell were after him away from the mansion, away from all-too-knowing friends, away from her tears and happiness.

Goodbye, darling', gotta go now
Gotta try to find a way
To lose these memories
Of a love so warm and true

Logan took the bottle and downed it all in one shot. Then looking over at the bartender, he ordered something stronger. If he were ever going to sleep again, he would have to find oblivion first.

Three shots later, and faster than his healing factor could keep up he felt the nice buzz of the alcohol. Maybe that is what made him listen to last few bars of a song creaking out of the old jukebox in the corner, or maybe it was for the same reason most people turn to song for solace, or maybe it was just coincidence.

And if you should ever find it
In your heart to forgive me
Come back, darlin',
I'll be waiting for you

In silence, Logan lifted his shot glass in toast to the last line and to a specter of a girl with long brown hair and platinum streaks, with maybe just a little bit of hope in his heart.
This story archived at http://wolverineandrogue.com/wrfa/viewstory.php?sid=2948