Tragedy breeds courage. by Shadowlady
Summary: When the X-men take in a young girl, they get a glimpse into the world of darkness few ever survive.
Categories: AU Characters: None
Genres: Angst, Dark
Tags: None
Warnings: Not Beta Read
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 17100 Read: 4623 Published: 05/02/2008 Updated: 05/02/2008

1. Chapter 1 by Shadowlady

Chapter 1 by Shadowlady
Author's Notes:
Deals with adult themes but nothing overtly graphic.
Huddled in the doorway of the bar after hours, the slight, dirty figure watched the last patron disappear and waited. Moving further into the shadows to avoid detection as the back doors opened and a burly looking man stepped out to toss the garbage into the dumpster she waited patiently.

There was no point in hurrying, no rush despite the fact that her stomach hadn’t stopped growling since she’d caught the faint smell of food on the wind. Glancing around when she saw him disappear inside she moved forward, slowly cautiously until she was even with the dumpster. Glancing around she didn’t see anyone and smirked slightly.

Jumping up as easily as a cat, the young girl slid into the dumpster and grabbed the garbage bag to tear into it. Stuffing the leftovers into her pockets she paused periodically to check the area before returning to her search. Finally satisfied that she had enough scraps to feed herself for the night and a light breakfast she jumped out of the dumpster and raced back into the alley, into the shadows unaware of the tall, scraggly looking man who had seen her.


Logan watched the young girl as she moved into the shadows her pockets obviously full of food from the garbage her movements desperate and yet lithe, well coordinated. Glancing at the keys to the bike he shrugged, there was no one waitin’ up for him at the mansion. Hadn’t really been since he’d left the first time, not that he really expected it.

Decision made he pocketed the keys and followed the girl into the shadows, down a long corridor where he lost sight of her. Smiling Logan cracked his neck, letting his senses guide him he followed. Down the open manhole and into the underground network that lay beneath New York.

Moving silently, sticking to the shadows like any good hunter Logan followed the silent path of the girl until he came to a rather well lit corner. Pausing he moved forward inch by inch until he hunkered down and looked around the corner. Sitting on a ratty old blanket, her matted, tangled hair pushed out of her face was the girl devouring the food with the appreciation of someone who hadn’t eaten in a while.

Tensing when she paused he watched her look around and stuff some of the food back into her clothes, hiding it before she turned to face him. He stared at the young girl, she couldn’t be more than sixteen and her face looked like someone had tried to make a puzzle out of it. Long, angry looking scars crisscrossed it, dissecting what had once been a rather beautiful face.

The low angry snarl coming from her throat and the charge in the air told him she was threatened and she was reacting like any animal would. It was a case of fight or flight and he was blocking her flight path.

“I’m Logan,” he spoke softly, keeping his hands in plain view.

“Its mine! I find it!” the claiming snarl echoed softly within the little cubby hole and Logan nodded slowly his gaze sweeping the room.


“I know I’m not after your food.”

“Not for sale. Me is mine!” the girl snarled slapping her chest angrily and glaring at him as she shifted, gathering herself for a flight.

“Okay,” Logan backed up a step. “Look I’ll buy you a hamburger. You like burgers?”

The girl eyed him angrily, distrust in every line. “Me is mine!”

“Okay, your vocabulary is limited. Look I’ll give you a hamburger if you give me,” Logan searched the area desperately, knowing she would need some things less than others. Spotting an old musty, moldy hunk of bread he smiled slightly. “The bread.”

“No. Bread mine.”

“You’ll get sick if you eat it.”

“Mine!”

“Okay, but a nice juicy hamburger. With lettuce, tomato, cheese..” he paused waiting, seeing the interest in her eyes, the way she was almost salivating at the thought of real food.

“You go, bring back. Me is mine!”

“Yes, yes. I get it,” Logan whistled softly under his breath. Obviously she’d been on her own for a while and he wondered about it. He could smell her mutation, could smell the faint but distinct traces of blood and knew she was obviously at puberty. “I’m gonna go get the burger and be back. Don’t eat my bread.”

With all the distrust of a wild animal the girl merely eyed him and remained silent. Standing up he turned and walked back the way he came, his hearing picking up the distinct sound of her feet on wet cement.

Getting top side he headed up the block to an all night diner and walked inside. After ordering the burger with fries, and a large coke to go he grabbed two bottles of water before he exited. Walking back the way he came, Logan froze when he came to the alley. Smiling softly he noted the girl stood in the shadows, hunched over so her figure was smaller, less obtrusive.

“One burger,” Logan held up the sack. “My bread?” he asked holding out the bag only to have it snatched from his grasp and the sliver of moldy bread crammed into his hand. A moment later the girl was gone, disappearing into the night as easily as a whiff of smoke.

Shaking his head, Logan looked at the bread and stuffed it into his pocket. Knowing the girl she was probably watching him and if she saw him ditch the bread she’d come out to get it as soon as he was gone. Better to chuck it later. Turning he headed for the bike and home.



“So how was your night?” Scott’s annoying voice had Logan glancing at him with a dark look.

“Intriguing as usual,” Logan shot back as the other man sat down next to him. “How ‘bout you?”

“Finished moving,” Scott said reminding Logan that he and Jean had split up. Jean was already talking about accepting a position at one of the Universities in the area. A move that meant she’d be out of the mansion, out of their sight, and hopefully forgotten.

“Yeah, sorry bout you two not working out,” Logan said softly, sincerely. He’d grown rather tired of the game a few weeks after they’d gotten back and he’d seen Scott comforting a rather upset Rogue after Jean had been particularly aggressive in pursuit. It had dawned on him that Rogue needed him more than anyone else and he made every attempt to give her whatever he could so he’d told Jean to forget it, and put his life on hold permanently. With that move, he’d come to the realization that his life wasn’t on hold; his life had become the streak haired beauty who clung to him.

“Uh Logan?” Rogue was looking at him funnily, “Why did you bring a piece of rather disgusting bread home?” she held up the offending item and raised an eyebrow in a rather familiar, rather welcomed expression.

“Oh shit! I meant to throw it away,” Logan shook his head and glared at the blob in Rogue’s hand. “Some kid was gonna eat it so I traded a burger for it.”

“Eat it?” Jubilee shuddered. “How repulsive.”

“Yeah well, she thought it was good enough to eat. Probably the healthiest thing she had to eat in a while,” Logan shrugged thinking of the girl he’d seen.

“Too many street kids these days,” Scott said as the Professor wheeled into the kitchen a concerned look on his face.

“Sorry to disturb your breakfast people but I found a rather powerful mutant who needs some help.”

“Oh?” Scott perked up at that. Anything that got him out of the mansion and away from the dark looks Jean kept shooting at him was welcomed. It didn’t help matters that his close friendship with several of the mansions women had caused a rather large strain on his relationship with Jean. She’d accused him of cheating when he’d gone out with Kitty, Storm, and Rogue to some concert in town and what had been a rather pleasant, relaxing evening had turned into an all out fight that had woken half the mansion.

“She’s in town. Police picked her up early this morning ‘bout six. They’re gonna send her to a psychiatric facility for evaluation. She doesn’t need one; she’s just a scared kid.”


“Where is she?” Logan asked already rising smoothly. Being around Rogue had made him a lot more tolerant of others, he knew it, they knew it, so it wasn’t something he hid anymore.

“Right now she’s at holding, downtown. I’ve arranged for two people to pick her up. She’s very powerful, her mutation has something to do with electricity so be careful,” Charles said looking pointedly at Logan.

“We’ll be fine. Any history on her?”

“No. Nothing. As soon as you have her, bring her back here. Dr. McCoy will look her over then we’ll decide what to do after that.”

“Yes sir,” Scott said heading for the garage and the suburban Logan a half a step behind him. It had taken time, effort, and a lot of swallowing of pride but they’d managed to develop a friendly competitive banter between them that had endured throughout the four years Logan had been back. “We’ll have to make this fast. If they’re already slating her for evaluation they must have a clue that she’s a mutant.”

“Well then put your foot on the gas One-Eye,” Logan grinned at the other man. “Sitting in the garage isn’t going to get us to town any faster.”

“Shut up Hairy,” Scott shot back before backing out of the garage and heading into town.


Pulling up in front of Downtown Holding, Logan nodded and headed up the stairs. There were too many questions being asked when Scott did these kinds of jobs. “Morning,” he greeted one of the guards easily. “I’m here for a pick-up.”

“Oh you must mean that thing we brought in last night. Zapped some guy when he touched her. Probably had it coming but still, we had to bring her in. She’ll be up in a minute. Your superior called us and told us you’d be by to pick her up,” the guard shook his head and nodded.

Turning Logan frowned at the blanket clad figure being pushed along the corridor. “I’ll take her,” he said taking control of the situation easily and ushering the young woman out the door. He could feel her muscles tensing as she attempted to make a break but he tightened his grip and put her in the truck.

“Easy now, we’re not going to hurt you,” Scott said as the girl huddled in the back seat.

“Me is mine!” the girl snapped waving her hands that were still handcuffed.

Logan frowned and whipped around his seat to stare at her. “What?”

“Me is mine! Go home!”


Logan glanced at Scott and shook his head, “Come on. We need to get outta here and fast.”

“Soon as we get to the main road I’ll hit the button. We should be home in about ten minutes.”

“Me is mine!” the girl’s voice held desperation as they pulled away from the building and headed toward the mansion.

“We get the hint,” Scott said as the girl repeated it time and time again within the following minutes, even as she struggled with the door handle, not really knowing where the latch was to get out. Pulling to a halt, he got out and helped Logan as he opened the door and pulled the girl out. Half dragging, half walking the girl they managed to get her to the medlab without being seen.

“Good morning,” Hank McCoy’s warm voice greeted them as they entered.

“Mornin’ Blue,” Logan shot back with a scowl, his grip on the girl tightening the more she struggled.

“No! Me is mine!”

“We get the picture,” Logan grunted as he lifted her onto the table and stepped back. “You want us to stick around?”

“Perhaps not,” Hank replied watching the resident bad-ass as he stalked to the door. Logan had made more than his share of compromises and was well respected even adored by most of the residents. It surprised the blue furred doctor that a man as devoted to revenge and blood sport as Logan could turn himself around so swiftly. Something no doubt brought on by Rogue - the one person in the mansion who was completely excluded from Logan’s often amazing changes of mood! “She’s probably going to stress out as is.”

“Probably. Just let us know if you need anything,” Scott shrugged and followed Logan out of the room. “Well that was odd.”

“I tell you this gig gets harder and harder every time we go out!”

“Coffee?”

“Coffee,” Logan agreed readily and started for the kitchen.


Peeling back the blanket, Hank eyed the young girl who sat huddled in a tangle of limbs, rags, and matted hair. Dropping the blanket onto the chair nearest him he reached out and pushed the hair back from her face only to find himself staring into clear blue eyes filled with distrust and anger.


The effects of multiple, extensive scars on her face was enough to give him pause for a moment before the scientist in him took over and he began to study them. They had obviously been made by a knife, and not treated properly which was why they were so bad. Realizing that she was tensing as he studied them he smiled softly and shifted, letting her have a little space.

“I’m Dr. Hank McCoy. Can you tell me your name?” he asked softly, soothingly.

“Shay,” the girl muttered after a moment of careful consideration. A name didn’t mean much on the street, and she didn’t think it would mean all that much to these people either, “Me is mine. Not for sale, no matter what.”

Nodding Hank sighed softly, “I’m just going to check you out. Make sure you aren’t sick or hurt then you can have a hot shower and some breakfast maybe,” he explained wondering how she’d gotten to the point where she was barely talking. He wasn’t too sure how extensive of an examination he’d get done the girl was fiercely protective of herself but he would strive to do his best.

The girl glared at him but remained silent as he picked up his stethoscope. Adjusting the girl’s top so he could rest the object at her skin he wasn’t really surprised when she jerked away from him. “I need to listen to your heart and lungs. Believe me I am not going to hurt you!”

“Mmphf,” the girl snorted and glared at him as he quickly finished his examination. With a slight smile he glanced up as the medlab doors opened and Storm walked in.

“Morning Hank. How’s your patient?”

“Well under nourished, and in need of a long, hot shower. Could you show her to a room and assist her? I realize its an inconvenience but..” he stated calmly, almost apologetically. He admired Storm and the niggling physical attraction he had for her often gotten in the way of other things.

“Nonsense,” Storm waved off her friend’s apology. “I’m Storm.”

“Me is MINE!” the girl snapped angrily glaring at the woman watching her.

“Her name is Shay and she’s a bit moody. Once she warms up to you, things will be easier,” Hank stated easily.

“Well in that case. Come on Shay, I’ll show you to a room where you can shower and get changed.”

“No. No change. Need clothes.”

“Yes, yes I can understand needing your clothes,” Storm agreed and guided her out of the room and down the hallway. Using the elevator she took Shay up to the second floor of the dorm and led her down the hall into a room. Noting that of the four beds, three were made Storm sucked in a deep breath, that girl was gonna have to learn.


“You can shower in there,” Storm said opening the bathroom door to reveal the shower stall and looking at Shay with a friendly smile. “I’ll have some clean clothes for you to wear waiting for when you’re done,” she promised noting the banked hostility and the rather obvious attempts to put several inches between their bodies.

Shay shrugged as the door closed and stripped quickly. Ignoring the mirror that revealed the scars on her body she jumped into the shower and turned the water on as hot as she could stand. Letting it pound down on her head, she washed out her hair slowly, savoring the rich, thick aroma of oranges.

It had been a long time since she’d enjoyed the feelings of hot water rushing over her body, keeping clean wasn’t something she worried about too much anymore. After all she live alone and who was there to complain if she stank? Nobody, and even if there was someone she could just move on so it had fallen on her list of priorities.

How long she was in the shower she didn’t know but the sudden knock on the door had her tensing and she could feel the wash of her power start to build.

“Shay? I’ve got some clean clothes for you; I’ll just leave them here on the bed. Whenever you are finished I’ll be in the hall then we can go get something to eat.”

The promise of food was a temptation too powerful for her to refuse and Shay quickly rinsed off before grabbing a towel. Leaving her hair unbrushed she dried off and hurried to dress. Stepping into the hall she eyed the white haired woman with distrust but followed wordlessly as she led the way back down the long corridor and down the stairs the distinct smell of food wafting through the air.

Leading Shay into the kitchen Storm smiled at Rogue who was still engrossed in the newspaper Logan had left behind. “Mornin’ Rogue.”

“Morning Storm. Who’s your friend?” Rogue asked noting the slouched figure hiding behind her hair beside Storm’s cheery position.

“This is Shay. Shay this is Rogue, she lives here.”

Shay glanced at the woman and noted the streaks and the rather odd electrical field around her. Obviously her current flowed differently than others, Shay wondered briefly if it was because of her mutation then pushed aside her curiosity. All that had ever done for her was nearly get her raped and cut to pieces!


Sitting in the chair she’d been offered Shay picked at her breakfast, sneaking bits and pieces into the pockets of her clothes for later. She’d learned early on never over indulge, being full one day and starving for three wasn’t a good feeling. Glancing around she caught sight of a large empty pop bottle sitting on the counter obviously heading for the recycling bin and moved it out of sight. As soon as possible she’d come back, fill it with water so when they let her go she’d have enough for a day or so.

“So Shay, did you enjoy your shower?” Storm asked softly noting the rapidly vanishing food and the way the girl’s hands seemed to disappear into her pockets regularly. Taking the now empty plate, Storm set another in front of Shay and poured another cup of coffee. Whatever the story the girl had, she obviously was conservative when it came to necessities.

“Yes,” Shay replied stuffing a bite of pancake into her mouth and chewing quickly, before stuffing her mouth again. It was unlikely she’d be able to eat this well for some time and she was going to monopolize on it. Catching a brief glimpse of the man who’d bought her the burger the night before as he walked past she tensed, wondering if he’d enjoyed her bread as much as she’d been planning to.

“Excellent. I’m sure you’ll be comfortable rooming with Rogue, Jubilee, and Kitty. They’re the ones whose room you showered in.”

“Oh,” eying the woman Shay wondered what they were up to. The possibility that they wanted nothing was so faint that she discounted it easily, quickly her mind searching out for the means of identifying what they wanted. She doubted very strongly that they were do-gooders, people didn’t help strangers out, that was one lesson she learned very early on!

“I imagine you might want to attend school so you can start tomorrow if you like. Rogue will help you out as much as she can. Won’t you Rogue?”

“Sure Storm,” Rogue smiled at the girl whose face was covered by her hair. “Be glad to. You’ll find we’re pretty cool around here.”

“I’d really rather not,” Shay muttered softly eying the pair. “I don’t want to owe anyone anything.”

“Of course not,” Storm pacified her easily, “Think of it as a chance to further yourself, no strings attached.”

“Why?”

“What?”

“Why would you offer that to me? You don’t know me,” Shay demanded realizing that her broken English skills were not going to fool these people. Obviously they weren’t the regulars she interacted with in a typic day.

“Because if it hadn’t been for Logan, I’d probably be just like you,” Rogue replied seriously. “And besides I know what it feels like to be cold, hungry, and hunted.”

“You sure? I don’t want to owe you or anything.”


“You won’t. So you want me to show you around? I’ll give you the tour while Storm clears my schedule for the day.”

“Sure,” Shay said sneaking a couple apples into her pocket as the streak haired girl rose to her feet. She watched her smile warmly at the man who walked into the room and frowned slightly. They had very familiar currents, nearly identical.

Following Rogue out of the room, Shay ducked her head as she slid past the man and hurried after the other girl. Walking through the mansion, Shay was slightly surprised that there were lots of signs of plenty of students, but she didn’t run into one. Listening aptly while Rogue explained the house rules, Shay nodded carefully.

Rounding the corner she noted the way Rogue tensed at the appearance of a tall, beautiful red-head but didn’t speak. Instead Rogue ushered her down the hall and into a massive library. “You can use it at anytime. I come in here a lot. It helps to keep the voices in my head calm, well most of the voices. Logan’s presence has never been easy to manage, he just does what he wants and stays quiet cause he cares about me.”

“What do you study?” Shay asked running a hand over the leather bound books to her right. There had been a time long ago when she’d loved to read; when she read everything she could touch. Of course she’d long since given up on it, there was no point in reading when your biggest struggle was just to live day to day.

“I’m studying psychiatry at the moment. Figure it’ll help me with the missions as we go. Besides Logan’s always liked charting the human mind - it helps calm him.”

“You do a lot of things for Logan.”

“I guess,” Rogue shrugged and smiled. “But then when you look at what he’s done for me I’d say we’re even.”

“Oh?” Shay studied the other girl, “What good is he? He’s a man; they all want something from you.”

Rogue smiled softly, easily, “Logan may want it but he’ll never ask for it. He doesn’t think he’s good enough for me.”

“Your currents are very similar. Both are different than others.”

“You mean mutants?”

“No, everyone’s current runs in the same direction whether you’re a mutant or not. You and his are different they run backwards - although his tends to run in both directions most of the time.”

“You really are electrically inclined aren’t you?”


“It’s what I am,” Shay replied and followed Rogue out of the room and up the stairs.

“The bed that isn’t made is Jubilee’s, she’s a bit of a messy room mate but you’ll learn to love her. You can have that bed, and we’ll clear out a drawer and some closet space for you to use.”

“I have nothing,” Shay shrugged and dug out an apple to hide under the pillow while Rogue wasn’t looking. “Tour over?”

“Yep, I’ll leave you to settle in.”

“Thank you,” watching Rogue until the door closed, Shay quickly emptied her pockets and tucked the food under the bed, hiding it carefully. Glancing around she shuddered, the room was too open, there were too many things happening for her taste and she peered into the closet. Much better, she thought and began clearing it out. Stacking the shoes against the wall she made a rather comfortable pallet before dusting her hands off and closing the closet door.

Settling on the bed she looked around the room more than a little uncomfortable but unsure what to do about it. This wasn’t like the streets, she couldn’t run and hide, and she didn’t know from which direction the threat was coming. Instead she’d have to wait and watch to make sure she didn’t get blind sided.



Logan glanced up at the familiar scent that wafted over him and grinned as Rogue slipped into the room and plopped down on the couch next to him. Almost instantly her head hit his shoulder and she hugged his arm to her body, welcoming the heat he exuded.

“So how’s the girl?”

“Scared and trying not to show it,” Rogue replied softly, thoughtfully. “She could have been me Logan. I can’t believe how lucky I got not to wind up half starved and scared of the most innocent of human contact.”

Logan shrugged slightly and pulled her a little closer, “Yeah it was a good thing you convinced me to be a bit more generous. I promise you’ll never know what she’s gone through.”

“First hand anyway, right?”

“Right.”

“So,” Rogue sighed softly staring at the news on television. “You going tramp chasin’ tonight?”

Logan laughed and looked down at her, “You waitin’ up for me?”

“I would.”


Logan sighed softly and propped his chin on her head, “I know. And the answer is no, I don’t need to chase down some cheap fuck. Got everything I need right here,” he whispered pulling her a little tighter against him and noting her pleased smile.

“Good. Maybe someday..”

“You got it!” Logan agreed clearly, someday they’d have more than this but for right now best friends would be enough.

“So there anything else on the tube or just the news?”

“Whatcha wanna watch?” Logan asked quickly and grabbed the remote to change the channel.

“Anything is better than that!”

Laughing Logan put it on a minor hockey game and sat back to watch it with his best friend.



Watching Shay’s interaction with the other students, Rogue noted two things. The first being that she was fiercely protective of her body, even more so with the boys and two she was always making every attempt to disappear within the crowd.

Most days, it was like she wasn’t even there. Silent, watchful, Shay did little to join in the activities; instead she studied like crazy and kept to herself. Rogue noticed the way some of the boys took an interest in her, the way they watched her and wondered about it.

It wasn’t until one of the boys pushed things a little too far and invaded Shay’s space that things got scary. The air around the girl suddenly crackled, the lights flickered on and off, and everything within a hundred feet seemed to go on the fritz until the boy backed off. As soon as she was comfortable Shay disappeared for two days and Rogue wondered just what had happened to the young woman.



After nearly a month, Rogue hurried to her room after an early morning session in the gym. The recurrence of her nightmares was rare but powerful enough to drive her from her bed and she often found herself in the gym to kill the images in her mind.

Slipping into her room she noted that Kitty and Jubilee were still sleeping soundly but Shay’s bed was made neatly and didn’t look as though she’d slept in it at all. Frowning Rogue glanced around the room, noting the clothes that the other girl had set out were still folded neatly on the floor by the bed and Jubilee’s rather impressive shoe collection was sitting beside the partially opened closet door, a rarity since Jubilee loved her shoes.


Sneaking closer she peeked into the darkened closet using the keen sight she’d gotten from Logan to spot the sleeping ball of Shay under a couple of thin blankets. Frowning Rogue wondered what would drive the other girl to sleep in a closet then sighed and backed up. Perhaps she should talk to the Professor and get other room arrangements made if her skin terrified Shay so much.

Glancing inside the closet again Rogue noted that the curled position Shay was in was more of a fetal position, something used for self defense rather than comfort. With a soft curse she withdrew from the closet, grabbed a change of clothes and headed for Logan’s room. She’d shower and change there.

Padding down the hallway she slipped into Logan’s room easily, noting him sleeping soundly and smiled. At least he was resting something that was rare for the tortured mind he was burdened with. Shaking her head she hummed softly as she slid silently into the bathroom and turned on the light.

Twenty minutes later, dressed to start the day she ran Logan’s comb through her still damp hair and shook her head. Reaching for the toothbrush on the counter she paused when she heard something then shrugged, it was probably nothing.

After brushing her teeth, she opened the second drawer and pulled out her makeup kit. Smiling she shook her head, “He’s gotta be the only man in the world that doesn’t care that he has makeup in his bathroom and no live-in lover.”

“Actually I don’t,” Logan’s sleep roughened voice had her whipping her head around to stare at the tousled figure in the doorway.

“Good, cause I’m not moving it.”

“So how come you’re in here this morning? Bad night?” Logan grinned at her sassing him and watched her easily, his eyes noting the shadows she still held in her eyes and the faint but familiar smell of terror coming off of her.

“Yeah,” Rogue shrugged. “And then I got back to my room and found it was even worse. I didn’t know Shay was so scared of me that she sleeps in the closet.”

“She what?”

“Sleeps in the closet. I went to get my jeans out after I noticed Jubes’ shoes in the middle of the room and there she was. Sleeping soundly curled up around herself in the corner of the closet.”

“You sure it’s you? Could be something she learned early on in life.”

“I was gonna ask the Professor for permission to move to another room. No point in takin’ a chance,” Rogue whispered sadly, it was common knowledge that Rogue really liked Shay had in fact made every attempt to befriend the rather shy young woman with only partial success.


“Only room that’s got a single occupant left is mine and he ain’t gonna let you sleep with me kid,” Logan pointed out gently moving to sit on the toilet and watch her apply the cosmetics she used. Personally he didn’t see any need for them but then he was biased, he thought she was beautiful all the time.

“Yes he would. However maybe I should just ask her,” Rogue shrugged. “I don’t want to move if it isn’t me.”

“Then ask,” Logan grinned and ruffled her hair as he stepped past her to grab the other towel. “Now then, I’m gonna grab a shower so unless you wanna talk over the water I’d suggest you go grab me a coffee.”

“Sir, yes sir,” Rogue giggled and slipped out of the bathroom and headed for the kitchen.

Stepping up to the room she frowned at the soft sounds of movement from within and stepped through the door. Piling a plate with food was Shay who looked up suddenly and stared at Rogue before going back to collecting food. Beside the plate was a small, plastic container that held some rather odd looking foodstuffs.

“You running?”

“No,” Shay shrugged. “Breakfast for week.”

“That’s why we have a cafeteria Shay,” Rogue pointed out softly. “You can eat with us you know.”

“I do,” Shay shrugged and flushed, it didn’t surprise her that nobody noticed that she ate in the cafeteria. She tried very hard not to be noticed, eating alone and in the darkest, furthest corner away from everyone as was possible in the school. “Rather not be hungry tomorrow is all.”

Rogue nodded slowly realization dawning. Shay gathered food and water to last for several days to avoid bouts of hunger. For it to have become second nature meant she’d had to have been doing it for some time and Rogue stifled a shudder.

“Um Shay, I was wondering if I could ask you something?”

“What?” the absentminded tone had Rogue smiling, and she shifted realizing that it was the perfect time to ask the questions. With Shay slightly distracted, she would answer honestly and hopefully without any hesitation.

“Why do you sleep in the closet? Is it because of me? I can ask..”

“Oh no, closets are perfect hiding places,” Shay replied distractedly, still stacking fruit onto the counter. “I prefer them.”


“Why?”

Shay paused and glanced at Rogue who stood a look of concern and confusion on her face. “When you’re hid they can’t find you. If nobody can find you, they can’t hurt you.”

“Is that why you wear your hair in your face and avoid everyone?” Rogue asked softly, “Why you all but run from Peter?”

“He said he liked me,” Shay shrugged and began putting her stash into the appropriate bags.

“He wanted to be your friend,” Rogue pointed out softly.

“Me is mine, not for sale,” Shay replied quickly, nervously as she gathered her haul and turned to face Rogue. “He would have...”

“Shay, Peter won’t hurt you. He merely wants to get to know you, to see if you like him back,” Rogue interrupted softly and smiled. “Trust me on this okay?”

Shay shifted uneasily, the tall, muscular boy aroused feelings within her that scared her. He made her want something she knew she shouldn’t, after all nobody in the past had ever really wanted her, why would he. Especially when he saw the scars that littered her body. No it was better not to draw attention than to risk everything.

“So I guess this means I don’t need to change rooms?”

“No, no changing of rooms,” Shay smiled uneasily at her and headed off to hide her goodies.

Standing alone in the room Rogue stared at the empty doorway a long, long time. Something told her that when Shay’s secrets came out someone was going to be extremely sorry.



Sitting in the shade of a tall pine watching the others place soccer Shay noticed Rogue talking to Logan and smiled to herself. It had been a month since their little talk in the kitchen and she’d developed a rather tentative trust in Rogue that meant she wasn’t so much of an outcast - at least with her roommates. Turning her attention back to Rogue she sighed, Rogue didn’t seem to care that Logan was capable of killing with a twitch of his hands, instead it was obvious she worshiped him.

Turning back to the game she ignored the faint rumble of the engine in the background comfortable in the shade. Laughing softly when Bobby hit the ground she cheered softly when Peter scored a goal even as Jubilee yelled at the boys.


Feeling like she was being watched, Shay whipped her head around toward the house and froze at the familiar figure standing there talking to Charles Xavier. From where she sat it didn’t look like the Professor was overly anxious to do whatever he was being told to do, and she could guess why.


“The little bitch belongs to me. I want her back,” Leonard Guffery snarled to the rich, well dressed cripple before him. His gaze already searching the rather impressive lawn and noting the young women easily, his mind already calculating their intake before moving on to spot the one he was searching for.

“Shay does not appear to need to leave. She wants to stay and so she will,” Charles snapped back growing angry rather quickly at the crude man before him. Shay had been with them nearly three months and was just beginning to show the first signs of coming out of her shell and he wouldn’t risk her mental health for anyone or anything.

“I’m her guardian, which means she belongs to me. The little twerp owes me big time.”

“Sir take some advice and leave before I call security,” Charles snapped angrily and raised an eyebrow. It didn’t take a psychic to realize that his interest in the young woman was not healthy, and what he could get off the man had him feeling nauseated.

“Call security. I’m well within my legal rights,” Leonard snarled and glanced around. Spotting Shay rising from the shadow of a huge tree he shot the cripple a dirty look and headed toward her.


Rising quickly, Shay backed up a couple of steps as the tall man walked toward before she froze when Logan intercepted him. Sucking in a deep breath hoping to calm the fear welling inside her she all but ran backwards when he brushed past Logan and started toward her. Noting the dark look on his face, and the warning clear in his eyes, Shay could feel her blood freeze.

Shaking her head she watched him coming toward her even as she focused on her mutation, awakening the current that she kept under strict control. With an start she noted Logan grabbed Leonard and whip him around.

Slipping further into the shadows she whirled around and all but smacked into Leonard’s right hand man. Jerking back when he grabbed her arm she barely winced when his fingers bit into the soft flesh.

“Well, lookee here. Boss figured you’d run like a coward.”

“Get off of me,” Shay muttered angrily pulling on her arm.

“Be nice, might even save you some painful lessons,” the man chortled and started back the way he came. “Course when the boss gets done with you..”


“You don’t listen too well do you?” Shay snarled angrily allowing her mutation to gather power, to soak up the static electricity around her.

“Listen you little whore...”

“You’re thinking of my Mother,” Shay said and jerked her arm back suddenly, sending the man crashing to the ground. Watching him as he started to get to his feet she threw up a hand in an unconscious protective move and watched him fly through the trees toward the mansion. Wincing at the crash of broken branches Shay shrugged her shoulders and followed there was no point in electrocuting those who’d been nice to her.


Logan heard the pop of electricity a moment before a rather tall, overweight man came sailing through the air and sliding across the lawn to crash into Peter’s shins leaving a rather nasty looking gouge in the turf.

“Oh my god!” Jubilee knelt next to him. “He ain’t breathing,” she looked at the Professor uneasily.

“SHAY get over here now!” Leonard snapped and looked at Shay who stood frozen a few feet away, “You’re useless you know that don’t you. Absolutely useless! But not worthless yet. We’re leaving so get your ass in gear and get to the car.”

“No,” Shay whispered facing him. She wanted to run but if she did he’d merely follow, and safety came with the crowd - a lesson she’d learned from the girls working for Leonard.

“Don’t push me little girl.”

“I’d say she has no interest in leaving,” Charles said rolling closer. “And as such I’d suggest you leave before I throw you out!”

“Listen you old cripple, don’t tell me what to do. The bitch is coming with me.”

“No she is not,” Peter snapped only to fall silent at a look from both Logan and Charles.

“You have no idea what she even is! Her mother is sick...”

“Good! I hope she dies a horrible, painful death!” Shay snapped and ducked behind Logan to glare around him at the man in her nightmares.

“I think you need to go inside,” Charles said softly, his tone kind as he looked Shay who shook her head fiercely. ~Trust me Shay. Its going to be alright.~


Eying Leonard Shay started backing toward the mansion, when she was halfway there she turned and ran. The fear that he’d follow choking her even as she raced inside. Looking around she headed for somewhere nobody would look for her. Rogue would look in her closet so that was out. Ducking into a slight cubby hole Shay focused on the wiring and allowed herself to sink through the wall and hid in the electrical currents.

“Good old electricity. Can go anywhere it wants to,” Shay whispered and zipped through the wiring to the fuse box. Materializing in the large room that held the mansions fuse boxes she crawled in behind one of the larger ones and curled up to hide.


“As for you Mr Guffery, I suggest you leave and don’t come back,” Charles whipped his head around to stare at the man before him. “I see you, I even think I feel you within a thousand feet of this school and I will personally make sure you suffer a great deal.”

“And I’ll help him,” Logan smirked at the man. “And believe me it’s something I’m very good at.”

“I own her, she belongs to me and...”

“Shay belongs to nobody but herself,” Rogue snapped angrily only to have Logan look at her and then at the mansion. “Yes Logan.”

“Take your friends with you,” Logan ground out glancing at the group of teens standing around watching shock on their faces.

“Shay’s gonna freak!” Rogue muttered as she started for the mansion. “She’s gonna hide and I’m not sure where she could go.”

“Considering her mutation I’d say she could be anywhere. But with that much electrical current flowing through her where could she go that she wouldn’t be detected?” Peter asked Rogue as they walked through the patio doors and into the living room.

“Breaker room?” Jubilee suggested quickly, “But you need a key to get into it. Where does she usually hide?”

“In our closet,” Rogue replied absently, ignoring Jubilee’s surprised look, “But that’s too easy to pick. Besides she knows I know about that hiding spot. No it has to be somewhere nobody would think of looking.”

“Med lab?”

“No.”

“Why not let her come out on her own?” Kitty asked softly looking at Rogue. “Whoever that guy was he scared her something fierce, she may not want to be found.”


“I wonder what the professor would say?” Rogue whispered as Storm walked into the room and looked at them.

“The Professor told me about the incident on the lawn. I think everyone needs to find something to do. I’ll find Shay.”

“She’s gonna be scared,” Rogue protested. “Maybe I should help.”

“Can you handle being electrocuted Rogue?”

“No,” Rogue shook her head, she couldn’t but Logan was around and he’d save her if need be.

“Then you shouldn’t help. I appreciate the offer Rogue but let’s be realistic here. Shay’s terrified; she’s acting purely on instinct. Trying to help her would be like trying to wake Logan from a nightmare - very dangerous!”

“But I do it all the time!” Rogue protested. “And Logan isn’t that bad, once he recognizes your scent!”

“Do what all the time? Find Shay or wake Logan up?” Bobby asked smoothly.

“Listen Bobby Ice Pickle, Logan is my best friend so just shut up!”

“Enough. All of you. Go into the library and get a book to read or watch some television or something. Let us handle this situation.”

“Yes ma’am,” Rogue glared at Bobby who snickered at her.

“Shay should have fried you! That would have shown you.”

“Ha, you’re just grumpy cause Logan’s got himself a girlfriend!”

“Ha! You wouldn’t know what Logan was doing if he hit you over the head with it!”

Storm smiled slightly at the fading argument as the group headed for the common room to watch television. Moving to the glass doors she stared outside at Charles and Logan who were watching a well dressed, rather furious man stalk across the lawn leaving his accomplice on the ground in a smoldering heap.

Charles glanced at Logan and sighed, “He’ll be back. He wants Shay very badly.”

“He comes back, he’s mine,” Logan growled furiously.

“You knew her,” Charles looked at Logan easily. “I could tell the minute you brought her back, you’d met before.”


“Yeah. She was that girl I followed into the sewer system. Eating garbage to survive..”

“It bothers you?”

“She could have been Rogue,” Logan replied softly seriously his gaze on the retreating back of the asshole who’d scared Shay. “It just makes me really sick to think of what could have happened if I hadn’t stopped the truck.”

“Rogue would have died,” Charles replied softly. “Magneto’s machine would have killed her.”

“Yeah,” Logan shrugged and looked at the corpse. “How we gonna explain about him?”

“We aren’t. Take him into town tonight and dump him. Anyone who attacks a child deserves what he gets.”

“Why Professor, you’ve got a bloodthirsty streak in you,” Logan grinned at the other man although it didn’t reach his eyes.

Charles smiled changing the subject with ease, “She loves you Logan, and that’s good enough for me. Loving her doesn’t make you weak..”

“She’s mine,” Logan shrugged and hefted the dead man onto a shoulder and started back to the garage and the back of the beat up Ford parked within it. “That’s good enough for me.”

“I’ll see if I can find Shay,” Charles said and headed back for the mansion intent on finding the young girl who he knew would be terrified.

“You do that.”


Rolling into his office, Charles closed the door quickly and took a deep breath. ~Shay, its okay. He’s gone now.~

{He’ll be back! He always comes back!}

~He does and Logan’ll take care of him. Shay where are you?~

{Safe. Not coming out. Me is mine!}

~Shay, your friends are worried about you. I’m worried. Please come to my office and we can talk. You don’t have to be scared of me.~

{Okay, I come.}


Charles smiled sadly and waited only to feel the oppressive weight of the electricity captured within the room a moment before Shay appeared. “Neat trick.”

“I just learned it,” Shay shrugged uneasily. “My mutation lets me do it.”

“I can see that,” Charles said softly. “We’re very concerned Shay.”

“I won’t hurt them! I wouldn’t do that!”

“I know, you didn’t mean to hurt that man either did you?”

“No, I just wanted him to let go of me,” Shay whispered her head bowed so her hair fell forward hiding all of her face. “He wouldn’t let go.”

“I know,” Charles sighed softly; this would be the hard part. Shay was a very secretive person, with good reasons but he knew that she needed to release the violence within her that those secrets bred. “Shay, tell me about him, please?”

“No.”

“Shay, I want to help. And if I know who and what he is I can help you.”

“No, no. I don’t want to.”

“Shay, I know it’s hard,” Charles whispered moving around to hold her hands. “But you know you can trust us, trust me. I would never do anything to hurt you..”

“But they will.”

“Who?”

“The boys..”

“What boys?” Charles asked noting the tremble in Shay’s fingers.

“The boys here. One even said he liked me.”

“And that scares you?” Charles asked getting only an indifferent shrug in response. “Shay if the boys say they like you it does not mean they’re going to hurt you. It merely means that they like you. They want to be your friend.”

“I have no friends, no need friends.” Shay replied quickly shaking her head. Terror rolling off of her like water, soaking the air and giving Charles a slight headache.

“Shay what is a friend?” Charles asked softly hoping that she would tell him but deciding not to push too hard this time.


“Someone who wants to hurt you. Someone who takes you,” Shay whispered painfully her posture folding even more until she looked about six.

“Takes you where?” Charles asked softly watching her closely.

Shay shrugged and looked at the floor. “Takes you. Um you know gives you money to use your body..”

Charles shifted slightly, unease filling him at her rather quick response and the underlying rage beneath it. “Have you had a friend before?”

Shay shook her head, “He gave me one but I hurt him cause he was hurting me.”

“Shay nobody’s gonna do that to you here. We wouldn’t let that happen.”

“But he said he likes me!” Shay jerked suddenly at the reminder. “He said it would feel good but it didn’t, he hurt me and..”

“Shay how did he hurt you?” Charles probed softly hoping against hope that it wasn’t what he was thinking.

“He grabbed me and pushed me up against a wall. He tried to get into my skirt but I got scared when he put his fingers into me and blasted him,” Shay replied honestly and shuddered. “Peter likes me, he said so himself. He said he wanted to be my friend!”

“Shay, Shay listen to me,” Charles sighed softly knowing he wasn’t qualified to be a therapist in this situation. “Peter likes you in a different way than that man did. Peter likes you in that he wants to spend time with you, play cards, talk, maybe go out to town to eat..”

“No town. They’ll see me. If they see me they tell him..”

“Who?”

“The girls Leonard has,” Shay shrugged sadly. “He wanted me to work for him but when I hurt his client he got mad.”

“Did Leonard hurt you like a friend does?”

“No,” Shay whispered sadly. “He cut me with a knife. I don’t want to go back Professor. I promise I won’t hurt anyone. I’ll even be your friend if you don’t send me back!”

“Shay I don’t need you to be my friend. I like you just as you are. And you’re doing a good job of being a regular kid,” Charles said softly easily. The way that Shay was so desperate as to offer the one thing she feared made Charles angry, and determined to stop Leonard Guffery once and for all.

“No, no kid. Kids hide away all the time.”

Charles smiled at her, “And you don’t?”

“I don’t like being scared!” Came the sharp, pain filled retort.

“Nobody does,” Charles replied softly. “But you don’t have to be scared here. Nobody is gonna hurt you.”

“Leonard will be back,” Shay shrugged and looked at Charles her eyes swimming in tears. “He’ll kill me before he lets me leave.”

“You left a long time ago Shay. Now you’re part of this family. And we don’t turn away from our family members.”

“When they know they won’t be my family anymore.”

Charles smiled. “Yes they will. I know there is some stuff you haven’t said and I respect that but trust me here. Everyone here will help you; they’ll stick up for you no matter what. Even Logan said he’d hurt him if he came back.”

Shay smiled softly, Logan was a force to be reckoned with and for him to offer something like that was a rarity. With a shrug, Shay refocused on her hands, “I don’t want to have anyone get hurt. Leonard doesn’t give up easily Professor, and you let him walk out of here.”

“We’ll be ready for him when he comes back,” Charles promised quickly before sitting back. “Now then why not join your classmates and have some fun? You’ll find them in the living room.”

Shay shook her head slightly. “I think I’ll just head upstairs sir, get some rest. If that’s okay with you?”

“Of course,” Charles nodded gently. “You’ll be down for dinner right?”

Shay rose smoothly and shrugged she didn’t really know about dinner right now, didn’t really know about anything just yet. Leaving Charles’ office she hurried upstairs, intent on getting to her bedroom without running into anyone. With her head down and her arms wrapped around herself, she didn’t notice the tall, muscular boy standing watching for her.

With a sigh Peter headed for the wooden door that marked Professor Xavier’s office and knocked. He had a bad feeling about this and needed someone to talk to.

“Come in Peter,” Charles called softly and the door opened to reveal the tall boy who so easily could mask himself in steel. “Have a seat.”


“I’m sorry sir,” Peter shrugged slightly as he sank into the heaviest chair in the room. There were times when he got highly emotional or stressed that he encased himself unconsciously. “Rogue told me that I scare Shay...”

“Your interest in her does,” Charles replied softly knowing that Peter’s interest was a little deeper than most. “She’s not used to it.”

“I wouldn’t hurt her sir,” Peter said seriously, his voice clear and certain.

“I know. But you have to understand she’s lived on the streets for a long, long time. She’s witnessed the abuse and degradation that comes with being treated like sewer scum. It may take a long time for her to warm up to you.”

“That guy really scared her,” Peter said softly a frown marring his face. “She knew him and what she knows isn’t good.”

“No, no it isn’t.”

“I know you think that we’re not supposed to go looking for trouble but this time can’t we make an exception?” Peter asked quickly. “If he comes back she’s gonna run, and she’s gonna probably get hurt.”

“Peter I know you want to be her friend. And I know you want to make sure she doesn’t get hurt but hurting or killing people isn’t something..”

“Did you know she steals food? I saw her last night Bobby threw out an apple core with a lot left on it and she grabbed it out of the garbage and took it upstairs. I asked Logan if he could smell apples and he says that their dorm room smells like food a lot! She shouldn’t have to be like that.”

Charles sighed and studied Peter. Despite his impressive size the young man was rather kindhearted, and he rarely hurt anyone or anything. Instead he often went out of his way to stop trouble, but this time was different. This time had struck a little too close to the quick with him and Charles didn’t think he’d stay out of it.

“I’ll have Logan deal with this. He and Scott are going into town and they’ll deal with this problem. You are staying here Peter,” Charles raised a hand at the young man’s gathering of muscles to protest. “Shay needs to have the ability to feel comfortable with you. If she feels that you’re prone to violence any attempt on your part to get close to her is going to backfire and you may get electrocuted.”

“He needs to pay.”

“He will,” Charles promised and watched Peter nod and head for the door. “Peter, give it some time. She’ll come to you.”


Peter nodded and exited quickly. A glance down the hall revealed he was alone and he headed upstairs to the girl’s dorm. Rogue said Shay always hid in the closet, perhaps that’s where he should look for her.


Charles sighed, knowing full well that Peter hadn’t listened to his suggestion. Shaking his head he wondered if he should alert Hank to the possibility of an incoming casualty. Clearing his mind of that line of thinking, he sent a mental message to both Scott and Logan.

They would have to work together on this and the only way to do that was to pick up one of Leonard’s girls. Hearing Logan’s heavy tread Charles smiled, the gruff Canadian had been very well behaved lately, it was about time he got a chance to sink his claws into a mission.

Smiling at his little pun, Charles watched his two X-team members come into the room, close the door and sit down. “I have a mission for you,” he started.

Looking at Logan, Scott felt a bolt of apprehension, “Sir?”

“I will not risk Shay’s mental health for anything,” Charles stated quickly, his voice filled with vehemence and barely controlled anger. “And if that that thing shows back up she may revert to old habits which would put more than just herself at risk. You both know I’m not inclined for blood sport..”

“But this time we get to have a little fun?” Logan asked sitting forward enthusiastically. It was rare that the Professor shared his sentiments and obviously this was one of those times.

“You get to sink your claws into this one Logan,” Charles leaned back and watching the two men. “I do not want to risk Leonard Guffery coming back, or trying to further his rather impressive business collection with any of our girls up to and including Shay. Use whatever force you have to,” Charles looked at Scott. “I do not want him alive Scott.”

Scott nodded, Logan had told him rather plainly what had happened and Scott had felt sickened. “Tonight?”

“Tonight. Be careful, Peter wants in on this and I will make every attempt to keep him here but..”

“But he likes her and he could be a problem,” Scott nodded. “We’ll watch for him. No civilians other than that garbage that was here will be hurt either.”

“Good. Now get out of here and go find something to do until tonight.”

Nodding they rose and left the office, “My reward for all the good behavior,” Logan grinned at Scott and headed for the kitchen.

“Ha, you get a reward all the time. I see how you look at Rogue.”


“Yeah, well I noticed the rather long stares you’ve been shooting at a certain young lady..” Logan grunted before reaching into the fridge and pulling out a bottle of beer.

“Hey I’m allowed!” Scott protested with a grin. “I’m not dead you know?”

Logan laughed and shook his head, “Not yet anyway.”

“So what time you wanna do this?”

“We should do it after ten. That time of night streets are alive with walkers. We should be able to find someone who knows the ass-wipe.”

“I hope so,” Scott settled at the island and looked at Logan, “He really bothers you doesn’t he?”

“Yeah. Seen too many like him. Figure they can own you, and when you piss ‘em off they react violently. I’m surprised he didn’t kill her.”

“Probably tried to,” Scott replied quickly. “Shay seems like a survivor.”

Logan paused for a moment then nodded with the physical scars that she carried as well as the emotional and psychological ones; Shay should be dead by now. “She’s a lot like Rogue, a real survivor.”

“Yeah,” Scott sighed quickly. The way Rogue survived was readily apparent. She survived because of Logan, without him around Rogue would have become an empty, hollow shell that in time would have died. Logan’s ready acceptance of Rogue’s emotional devotion had at one time shocked Scott, but now he admired the other man’s ability. It wasn’t easy being worshiped, and he was kinda glad that Logan had that in his life.

“See you later at the truck,” Logan said patting Scott’s shoulder on his way out of the room. He was gonna go find Rogue and sit with her a while. There had to be some sort of game on television they could watch.



Slipping into the room Shay shared with the terrible trio, Peter had to smile. The room was immaculate except for one spot. It’s got to be Jubilee’s bed, he thought glancing around. The closet door was closed tight and it didn’t look like Shay had even been in the room.

“Shay? You here?”

“What the..?” Shay gasped as she jerked open the bathroom door to see Peter standing in the middle of the room looking around. Fear was a powerful emotion and she’d spent more time getting acquainted with that toilet than she wanted to but the sudden appearance of Peter in her room had the emotions returning full force.


“Hey, you okay?” Peter asked noting her pale skin, and the fine sheen of sweat on it.

“Fine,” Shay said frozen in place even as he moved toward her.

“You sure? You look like hell,” Peter said moving slowly toward her and raising one hand to check her skin. Pushing her hair back slightly he saw the edge of a scar but paid it no attention, instead he pressed the back of his hand to her forehead. “You should go see Dr. McCoy.”

“Uh..” Shay swallowed and backed up a step, her skin beginning to crackle and the lights in the bathroom beginning to flicker.

“Relax Shay, I’m not going to hurt you,” Peter whispered backing up a couple of steps and sinking onto the edge of one of the beds. “I just wanted to see if you were okay.”

Shay nodded quickly and backed up a step. Obviously she hadn’t thought far enough ahead if the enemy could get a drop on her. Standing staring at him she wondered why he wasn’t making a move, what he was waiting for as he sat there silently watching her. Feeling more than a little uneasy she glanced at the bedroom door, noting for the first time that it hadn’t been locked merely closed.

Frowning she glanced sharply at Peter before turning to head over to the door. Turning the knob she noted the way it turned easily, quickly and opened. Whipping around she narrowed her eyes at him, “What are you playing at?”

“Pardon?”

“Why didn’t you lock the door? Did you think you didn’t have to?”

“Why would I lock the door? I came to talk that’s all,” Peter replied quickly noting her confusion and feeling anger rising at the bastard who’d made her so leery of people. “You know a conversation.”

“Why?”

“Because I want to get to know you better.”

“No you don’t,” Shay shot back. “I don’t need any ‘friends’, not now not ever!”

Peter nodded slightly the repugnance at the word friend was enough to tell him that it had been used in a context he wouldn’t like, “Good cause I don’t want to be your ‘friend’. I know you’re pretty scared of us here. I mean anyone who’s lived on the street probably wouldn’t know how to deal with this many people. None of us, well except for Rogue, is overly careful about touching..”

“You think I should be happy that you want to talk to me?”


“I want to be a part of your life. I want you to be not a friend, a...a family?” Peter asked softly knowing that it wasn’t the right word, but it was as close as he could come without scaring her to death.

“Like Logan and Rogue?”

“Sorta,” Peter shrugged. “They’re relationship is special. They’re not exactly..”

“Lovers?” Shay smiled slightly, “I may be a lot of things but un-observant is not one of them. I can’t afford to trust someone that much.”

“Look, I’ll make you a deal,” Peter said rising and padding softly over to her. “It’ll be painless and you might learn something about what a real friend is.”

Shay looked at him with anger and distrust before shrugging, what did she have to lose? “What kinda deal?”

“We spend a little time together, and I’ll help you make sure that the freakasoid that showed up today never returns.”

“The Professor said Logan and Mr. Summers were going to handle him.”

Peter smiled softly and shrugged, “Not if I get to him first. This is your chance to take back your soul. He wants it; let him see what its like to have no control.”

Shay looked steadily at Peter for a moment, a way to get even with Leonard and still keep her place here. That would be worth anything that he could ask of her,” You got a deal!”

“Good. I have a feeling that Logan and Scott will go when the streets are a little less alive. Probably around ten,” Peter said softly.

“Leonard’s usually hid around then. I know a couple of places he hides but I don’t want to go into them.”

“Then you tell me and I’ll go into town and deal with it. I’ll even bring you back a memento, something you can hold that says he’s dead.”

“There’s an older bar on the lower east side called Mahoney’s. He likes to go there for a drink about eight. He usually has at least one girl, and two of his boys with him,” Shay said quickly and shrugged. “Its not exactly a friendly place..”

“Yeah well,” Peter shrugged carelessly and wondered if he could do it. Something told him that his anger wouldn’t be enough that he’d need help and he knew just how to get it. “Don’t worry. Logan’s not exactly a friendly kinda person..”


“But..”

“I’ll just get Logan to go with me,” Peter smiled softly. “You’ll see. Tomorrow this will all be over,” he promised quickly before stepping past her and heading out the door. Standing in the hallway, Peter frowned where would Logan be right now?

With a shake of his head, Peter headed for the living room with any luck Rogue would be there and where Rogue was, Logan was sure to turn up.


Seeing the look on Peter’s face Logan rose and intercepted him at the doors. “What’s up?”

“I need to talk to you,” Peter replied seriously.

Logan nodded and stepped out into the hallway, using his body as an incentive to get Peter to move. “What’s up?”

“You know a bar called Mahoney’s?”

“Yeah, its kinda rough.”

“Shay said that man from earlier will be there about eight,” Peter said quickly. “We made a deal and I intend to hold my end of it up.”

“Peter you know Chuck don’t want you involved.”

“She’s my friend; I’m not going to let some jerk get away with whatever he wants.”

“Scott and I will head into town and meet Guffery at the bar. I’ll keep you apprised of the situation. You are gonna stay here and let us handle this.”

“But..”

“No buts,” Logan growled. “Just do it Peter. Trust me you don’t want this on your conscious.”

“Okay, but you gotta promise to bring something back. Something of his that she can have,” Peter agreed readily. “She deserves that at least.”

“I’ll see what I can do,” Logan agreed and watched Peter walk off headed for the library. This situation would not be pleasant for anyone and the kid didn’t need to know what it took to kill someone - not yet anyway. Shaking his head Logan stalked off toward the offices, Scott was finishing up some papers and would need to know this bit of information.




Dressed in faded jeans and a loose leather jacket, Scott eyed Logan who was dressed as he usually was, jeans, shirts, jackets, and boots. Logan had made it abundantly clear that Guffery was the target and that they had to bring back a trophy. When Scott had questioned him all he’d done was shrug and look at him for a moment before leaving the room.

In those few seconds Scott had understood, Shay needed to know. Needed to understand that the asshole wouldn’t show up someday and hurt her. With that knowledge had come acceptance and a bit more understanding into the workings of Logan’s mind. Regardless of what was said or done, Logan and Shay were a lot a like. Both needed proof that the atrocities done to them were punished, that they had worth.

Letting Logan take the lead Scott noted the man sitting at the edge of the bar with a painted girl on his right and two men on his left. The loud sound of his laughter had Scott’s skin crawling even as Logan moved into position.

“Molsens,” Logan grunted at the bartender who nodded and glanced at Scott who held up two fingers and settled onto a stool a few inches from Logan.

“So what’s the plan?”

“We need to get the guards first, get him alone. The girl isn’t a threat.”

“How can you be so sure?”

“She’s so scared right now that if someone said boo she’d have a heart attack. Probably her first trick.”

“Then we should get her outta the way don’t you think?” Scott asked softly.

“We are,” Logan smirked at Scott. “You’re lookin’ for a date.”

“I am?” Scott gaped at Logan uneasily.

“Yep, my treat,” Logan grinned and waved at the bartender. With Guffery being a regular, the man would know what he was and would drop a few hints.

“Yes sir?”

“Hey you know where we can get a little action?” Logan asked and gestured to the girl at the end of the bar, “Something real young sorta like her. Buddy’s getting married in a couple of days and he needs to sow a few oats..”

“Might, just let me get these boys their drinks and I’ll see what I can do for you,” the bartender said and moved down the bar to lean down and whisper something in Guffery’s ear. A moment later the girl wandered over, a smile on her painted face.

“Hey handsome,” the girl said without meeting either of their eyes, “You uh looking for a date?”

“Yeah,” Logan shot back. “How much?”

“Fifty, for the works.”

“Make it a hundred,” Logan replied quickly falling into an easy routine. This was something he’d done before and he knew the score, “Him first, me second.”

The girl tensed and glanced down the bar at the man who merely raised an eyebrow at her before nodding. “Okay, I’ve got a room..”

“Perfect,” Logan said rising off the seat and draping an arm across her shoulders. “So handy if it’s close by.”

“Just next door,” the girl whispered as they led her out of the bar and down the sidewalk. Getting to her room she tried to keep the two men from noticing the tremble in her hands as she opened the door and stepped inside.

Closing the door behind them she leaned on it and swallowed hard. She could feel her stomach turning; feel her body getting tense and wondered what would happen if she backed out now.

“Now what?” Scott snapped standing in a dingy little room staring at Logan and a terrified teenager.

“Now you pay her and we’re gonna watch a little television for a few minutes,” Logan replied quickly with a grin and turned the television on.

“Logan!”

“Scott!” Logan shot him a look. “He’s got to think he’s getting paid for services don’t he. We rush back over there and he’s gonna wonder why.”

“So how long..”

“Half an hour or so,” Logan shrugged and glanced at the girl, “Get away from the door kid, have a seat.”

“Do you want me to watch you?” the girl asked softly, terror in her voice.

“No!” Scott snapped suddenly and Logan laughed. “What’s so funny?”

“Relax Scooter,” Logan replied with a shake of his head, “Few minutes the two guards will show up then we can take ‘em out. Soon as they’re outta the picture, we can get our target.”


“You’ve got way too much practice at this.”

“Maybe,” Logan replied with a shrug, “But then I wasn’t a very nice person before.”

“I wonder if she has any idea just how much control she has over you,” Scott muttered pacing the room uneasily.

“Oh she knows.”

“Excuse me but if you don’t want..” the girl started only to come to a stuttering halt when a loud pounding on the door echoed in the room.

“Hey everything okay in there?” the loud, obnoxious voice had Logan rising from his position stretched out on the bed and shrugging.

“Didn’t take very long at all!” he muttered grabbing the girl and pushing her and Scott at the bed. “Under the blanket now!”

“Hey! You alive in there?”

“Just a second,” Logan growled jerking open the door and looking at the two guards. “Somethin’ you wanted?”

“Just makin’ sure the goods were satisfactory,” the guard said noting the movement under the bedspread.

Logan shrugged and jerked on the man’s tie sending him sprawling into the room quickly before he checked the hallway and closed the door. “We ain’t into little girls,” he ground out as he tied the unconscious man up.

“Scott, come on we got to go.”

“What about the other one?”

“He’s probably checking on another girl,” came the quick reply from the huddled figure on the bed.

“How old are you?” Scott asked quickly.

“Fifteen.”

“Babies.”

“Yeah. Shay got lucky,” Logan replied jerking on his coat after dragging the bound man into the bathroom and leaving him there.


“You know Shay?” the girl instantly perked up and all but scrambled across the bed to stop in front of the pair of men. “Is she okay? Where is she?”

“Why do you..?”

“They cut her up pretty badly before dumping her on the street. Just wanted to be sure that she was safe, that she got out.”

“She’s safe. You got somewhere you can go?”

“Yeah,” the girl nodded quickly.

“Then go there. Your boss is outta business.”

The girl smiled and wrapped herself up in a coat before hurrying out of the room and into the darkness.

“Well another mystery solved,” Scott whispered as they headed back to the bar. “Why would he cut her up?”

Logan glanced at Scott for a moment, “You’ve never lived on the streets have you?”

“Two days before the Professor took me in,” Scott shrugged at Logan. “Why?”

“Shay probably didn’t turn her trick for some reason. She may have hurt him with her mutation or something and in doing that cost Guffery some money. Cutting her was his way of showing the other girls that he doesn’t take any shit. You either perform or you die.”

“It’s a hard life.”

“It’s a life,” Logan replied slipping into the bar and noting Guffery beginning to rise. Following him with his eyes, he watched the man as he slipped out the back before he pushed Scott aside and hurried to catch up.

Cornering Guffery was easy; the man was careless and self possessed making him an easy target. Pinning him to the wall, Logan glanced at Scott, “What should we do with him?”

“Why not return a few of those cuts?” Scott asked softly checking the alley uneasily. He didn’t want anyone coming to the man’s aide.

“Relax boss,” Logan drawled. “Nobody’s gonna get involved in this.”

With a metallic shriek he extended his claws on one hand and ran them over Guffery’s face leaving long, bloody trails across the pale skin. “You should have forgotten about her.”


“Fuck you,” Guffery snarled. “She’s mine and she owes me.”

An adamantium laced fist landed hard in his gut making him gasp in agony as all the air was pushed from his lungs.

“She’s just a kid. One you took advantage of and when you couldn’t get what you wanted from you marked her and left her to die in some gutter. Well guess what, she’s ours now and we don’t share.” Logan snapped sinking his claws into the man’s belly and dragging them up his body exposing his entrails. “Enjoy your last moments, they’re gonna hurt like hell!”

With a swift twist of his fist, Logan pulled the man’s chains off before rising and slapping Scott on the shoulder. With a nod they headed down the alley and out onto the street. Shay would have little bit of peace and Logan had gotten the chance to use his claws. All in all a rather successful mission.


Watching the interaction of the students out the window, Charles sighed softly. Once again Shay was sitting in the shade of the huge oak, alone and wrapped in loose clothing. It had been nearly four months since Logan had handed her several chains and walked away. Four months of nightmares, and her hiding in odd places, but there had been positives as well.

She’d gone to the movies with Peter twice, and she’d begun a rather daunting routine of counseling sessions that gave Charles a headache. He’d gotten rather adept at the idea that he was aware of most of the atrocities that men could do but the secrets Shay revealed were another matter.

Often leaving him with anger bubbling deep inside and the need to hurt someone Charles knew he needed to let go. Needed to release some of his emotional turmoil before he start projecting it and the students picked up on it.

~Logan? Could you come to my office?~ he focused on the gruff Canadian. Unlike Scott, or Storm, or anyone at the mansion Logan would know what to do. What to say to let Charles’ anger fade.

“Somethin’ you wanted Chuck,” Logan asked a few minutes later sitting across from Charles. He’d smelled the anger and confusion coming from the other man but waited, letting Charles reveal the problem without trying to dissect it first.

“I need a suggestion or two,” Charles started. “As you know Shay and I have been having counseling session’s everyday. The sessions are beginning to affect me.”

“And you need an outlet for the emotions?” Logan shrugged, “Why ask me? I get overwhelmed emotionally I spend hours in the Danger Room. Don’t think you’re gonna do that.”

“But you understand the emotions I’m feeling.”


“Yeah,” Logan nodded. “They can eat away at you like nothing else can. Best thing I can suggest is you meditate, find a release..”

“I’ve tried the meditation and it helps but not enough. I’m concerned I may start projecting.”

Logan nodded quickly, “Rogue told me that she had nightmares about the time she was on the streets, on the road. We talked ‘em through and it helped but not enough for her. Try writing about your feelin’s Chuck, then destroy the letter. Once they’re exposed they’ll fade pretty quickly. Helped Rogue, she’s not so scared to go to sleep.”

“Were they hers or yours?”

“Don’t matter. Left over emotional state was the same.”

“Yeah,” Charles studied Logan for a moment, “You should have been a councilor Logan, you’d be good at it.”

“Nope. I’d gut ‘em before I solved the problem.”

“True,” Charles smiled as Logan rose and headed out of the room. “You still haven’t told her have you?”

“Don’t plan on it,” Logan replied turning the knob and pulling the door toward him. “Rogue’s got everything going for her, she don’t need..”

“Perhaps not but she does love you. And that’s enough for her, and you.”

With a shake of his head Logan headed for the kitchen for a cup of coffee. It was too early to have a drink but that didn’t mean he couldn’t long for it. The shock of having Chuck ask him anything was enough to get his mind off the regular problems of the school. Whatever Shay revealed to the Professor would have to be impressive in a dark way for it to shake the powerful telepath, and Logan didn’t even want to hazzard a guess.

“There you are. I’ve been lookin’ for you,” Rogue’s sultry tone had Logan glancing up at the slightly shift in the doorway and smiling.

“I was talkin’ to Chuck,” Logan shrugged uneasily, unwilling to go into details but knowing Rogue would understand as nobody else could.

Rogue nodded and walked up to him, leaning on the counter next to him, one hip pressed against the edge of the oak she stared out the window. It didn’t take a genius to figure out he was pulling away from her, from the emotions she could see within his eyes at every moment of contact and that scared her. Logan being a loner wasn’t news, but the fear in his eyes was and she didn’t want him to be scared of her.


“You remember that conversation we had a while back?” Rogue asked softly watching Logan’s brows draw together in a slight frown before he nodded quickly.

“I’m going to have to say yes, I remember all our conversations. Which one in particular are you referring?”

“About us, about someday?” Rogue pointed out firmly and shifted, dropping her gaze to her gloves before sucking in a deep breath for courage. “I can feel you pulling away from me Logan and I wanna know why? Is my skin too much of a problem?”

Logan shook his head at the soft question. How could he answer without destroying their relationship, their friendship? Knowing there was no other way he shrugged, Rogue came first and that was all that mattered, “Your skin ain’t the problem darlin’, I am.”

“What?”

“I don’t know whatever possessed me to think that someone like me could ever be anything to you. I guess I forget what I was for a while,” Logan shrugged and poured himself a coffee wishing it were bourbon. “Forgot that you’re everything to me and all I’m ever gonna do is drag you down.”

Rogue nodded at his words feeling her eyes burning she blinked a couple of times. She didn’t need anyone to point it out, Logan was leaving again. Only she didn’t believe for a moment that he was coming back this time, because this time he wasn’t searching for his past, he was running from her. Pushing her hair behind her ear she bit her lip and plucked at a thread hanging from the sleeve of her blouse.

“I see,” she whispered softly, cursing the weakness within her that made her voice squeak. “This isn’t about me at all. This is about you.”

“Yeah I guess you could say that,” Logan said noting the way she didn’t shift away from him but she didn’t come any closer either. Feeling like a heel he sighed, “You’ll thank me for this one day darlin’. When you’re married with a bunch of kids who look just like you and..”

Rogue shook her head and shrugged, “No I won’t Logan. I won’t ever thank you for doing this!”

“Yes you will,” Logan replied softly and headed for the doorway only to tense at her soft snort.

“I hate you,” Rogue whispered choking on her tears, “I hate you so much right now! I hope you never come back!” the soft thud of her boot heels echoed in the silence as she hurried from the room leaving Logan standing there trying to stay upright as his world crumbled around his ears.

“I know,” Logan whispered softly, a dark scowl crossing his face as he grabbed for the keys to the bike and headed for his room. It wouldn’t take him long to pack, then he could get as far away from the mansion as was possible.


Tossing clothes into his beat up knapsack Logan growled at a soft knock on the door. “Go away!”

The door swung open easily and Logan whirled to tear into the person who was standing there. Swearing at himself he stared at Rogue who stepped inside, closed the door and walked over to him. Watching her he tried not to let it show how much this was killing him, even as he smelt the faint tang of tears and the pain rolling off her in waves.

Standing there with a worn shirt in one hand and his bag in the other he stared at her for a moment before focusing on his packing, “Something you needed kid?”

Rogue swallowed at the harshness in his tone, at the indifference in his movements and shook her head. Instead she reached into her pocket and pulled out a familiar chain. Fingering it softly she tossed it onto the bed and turned to leave, “No. Not from you.”

“I know you’re mad Rogue,” Logan said softly, carefully. “You have every right to be but you’ll see. You’re gonna wake up tomorrow and know deep down in your soul that I was right..”

“No, no I won’t. Because unlike you I’m not a coward! I was willing to take the risks, willing to work at it and you won’t even let me do that. You promised to look after me, to keep me safe. I guess you did that - only problem was you couldn’t protect me from you!”

“Damn it kid what do I have to do to make you understand!”

“Nothing!” Rogue snarled angrily at him. “I understand exactly what you’re saying. You’re not good enough for me so therefore you’re gonna run. I get it Logan er Wolverine, I get the fact that I’m never gonna be enough!”

“You are! This has nothing to do..”

“It has everything to do with me,” Rogue hissed angrily even as her voice cracked. “I’m part of this equation oh wait, I was part of it.”

“Marie what..”

“My name is Rogue. Use it,” Rogue snapped and grabbed for the doorknob. “Nobody gets to use my name. Not even you Wolverine.”

Logan nodded slowly, perhaps this was better. The anger would keep the hurt at bay until it faded then there wouldn’t be any emotion to deal with afterwards. “Fine Rogue. You win, you’re right this is all about you..”

Rogue shook her head, laughing harshly. “Break a leg on your trip Wolverine. Or better yet break your neck, maybe you won’t heal from that!”


The quiet click of the door had Logan flinching and he glanced at the bedspread where his tag lay. Reaching down he picked the piece of metal up and closed it in his fist for a moment before he dropped it and grabbed his bag. Hefting it onto his shoulder he walked out of the room without looking back, it was best this way.


Shay watched Logan walking down the hallway and frowned, he looked pissed and hurt. Narrowing her eyes she stared at the electrical currents swirling around him, shaking she headed for her bedroom a place she knew Rogue would be.

“Rogue! Rogue you gotta..” she froze as she stared at the young woman laying on the bed her face buried in her pillows, her shoulders shaking with the force of her sobs. “Rogue? You okay?”

Rogue shook her head and waved at Shay to go away. She wanted to curl up into a ball and disappear, wanted the pain in her heart to go away so bad! Cursing Logan to hell Rogue curled tighter into the ball and sobbed harder.

“Rogue you gotta come with me,” Shay said softly closing the door. “Please.”

“Go away Shay!” Rogue sobbed, “He left me.”

Shay blinked at the pain in Rogue’s voice, “Rogue, Logan loves you.”

Rogue shook her head firmly and pounded the pillow while her sobs increased. “No he doesn’t. If he did he wouldn’t..”

“Rogue you gotta try talkin’ to him one more time. He’s in the garage.”

“No, he can go to hell for all I care, him and his pride. I hate him. I HATE HIM!”

Frowning Shay shook her head, “No you don’t. If you hated him it wouldn’t matter if he left or not.”

“Go away! What would you know about it anyway? You don’t let anyone close enough to you..”

“To hurt me?” Shay finished softly watching Rogue. “I’ve done my share of hurting already Rogue; I don’t feel like payin’ anymore on that tab.”

“Well neither do I,” Rogue snapped angrily.

With a firm nod Shay rose and shrugged, “Well then I guess I’ll have to do it for you!”


Feeling the crackle of static in the air, Rogue sat up sharply as the door closed and wiped at her face. Shay on a mission could be dangerous and since she was headed after Logan, Rogue paused in her line of thinking. Crawling off the bed quickly she jerked open her bedroom door and raced down the hall, pausing as she passed Logan’s room.

The door hung open exposing the room to anyone wanting a look. Moving toward it she couldn’t stop herself from looking even as her gaze saw the flicker of light on metal. Sinking to her knees she stared at the tag laying tangled up on the floor.

“Oh God what have I done?” Rogue whispered picking them up and rising to her feet. Whirling around she almost ran Scott Summers down.

“What’s wrong Rogue?” Scott asked catching her easily as she stumbled into him.

“I gotta talk to Logan.”

“He’s gone,” Scott said noting the tear ravaged features, and the pain in her eyes. “Shay missed him by a couple of minutes. Where was he heading?”

Rogue sagged against Scott and shook her head, “I don’t know.”

“Rogue, you okay?”

“No,” Rogue sobbed and wiggled out of his grasp, “Which direction did he go?”

“You’d have to ask Shay..” Scott said as Rogue raced down the hall. Turning around Scott frowned beneath his glasses as he realized that the room before him had been stripped of all personal effects. Logan had run again.


Racing into the garage Rogue stumbled over Shay, “Which way?”

“Uh he was headed North last I saw,” Shay replied firmly. “But I don’t think you should follow him. He nearly bit my head off when I asked him where he was going?”

I’m sorry, it’s my fault,” Rogue panted as she started trying car doors searching for one that wasn’t locked. With a smile she opened the door to the blue Porsche, “Uh you see any keys?” she asked softly.

Shay giggled and looked at Rogue, “Get in I’ll drive.”

“You got a licence?”

“No but then neither do you!” Shay replied and pushed Rogue into the passenger seat. Slipping into the seat behind the wheel she frowned as she patted the visor for the keys, coming up empty she sighed. “Mister Summers probably put them with the rest of the keys.”

“We have to hurry. He can’t get..”


“Relax,” Shay grinned at her friend, “I can hot wire it!”

“You can?”

“Sure. Ignitions work on electrical signals, I’m electrically inclined,” Shay shrugged. “I’m sure about it!”

“Great, so do it!” Rogue hissed wiping at the tears still drying on her face. “I have to say I’m sorry. Maybe he’ll change his mind and stick around!”

Shaking her head Shay zapped the ignition switch and smiled when the car purred to life, “Okay Peter’s been teaching me how to drive so I think we can do this.”

“Peter?” Rogue gaped at the young woman next to her as the car moved out of its parking spot and into the sunlight.

“Yeah, we’re spending time together,” Shay said as she eased the car down the driveway. Checking for traffic she turned north and stepped on the gas, “He’s not so bad once you get to know him.”

“Sure,” Rogue groaned. “Uh Shay you’ll have to speed up if you want to help me,” Rogue said eying the speedometer.

“Relax,” Shay grinned at her friend, “We clear of the mansion?”

Rogue glanced behind them and nodded, “Uh yeah. Nobody in sight.”

“Perfect, do up your seatbelt and hang on,” Shay advised as she pushed her foot into the accelerator.


Logan frowned as he pulled over, the road was deserted but he could clearly hear the familiar purr of a well tuned engine. Killing the bike glanced behind him at the long, straight stretch and waited. The vehicle was coming closer and the familiarity was getting stronger.

Growling at the sudden appearance of the navy blue Porsche, Logan wondered why Scott would be following him. When the car eased to a gentle stop a few feet behind the bike Logan growled as the passenger door opened and Rogue all but fell out.

Cursing Scott’s romantic streak Logan glared at the car, “Something you forgot to throw at me Rogue?” he asked coldly, hoping against hope that she’d retreat, that she’d have the courage he didn’t.

“You dropped these,” Rogue whispered holding up the tag and watched him pale before he shook his head.


“Keep ‘em Rogue. You can have ‘em to remember what it is in this world you hate so much,” Logan replied indifferently and shrugged. “You tell Cyke he’s an ass for me. I’ve got better things to do than..”

“Please Logan,” Rogue stepped in front of the bike, grabbing the handlebars, much like a child would another’s bicycle. “Please, just give ‘us’ a chance. I’m not askin’ for much Logan..”

Logan shook his head swiftly and settled firmly onto the bike, “No. I can’t. If there was an ‘us’, there wouldn’t be a way out for either of us. I won’t do that to you,” Logan shot back and reached for the keys only to have them snatched from the switch and tucked into a delicate pocket.

“You think I don’t know that? You think I don’t see how much I mean to you? I see it in everything you do. Even this. A little pain now to keep me from the much harder agony later. Only life doesn’t work that way Logan. Pain is pain, there is no difference.”

“Yeah there is.”

“Please Logan, I’ll beg if it makes a difference,” Rogue pleaded softly. “I’m not moving, you can run all you want but I’ll just follow you.”

“Go home Rogue,” Logan replied firmly, his tone unbending.

“No, because I haven’t got anything waiting there for me. I love you; I know you don’t think that means much but it does. I’ve paid my dues Logan, it’s my turn!”

“Goddamn it Rogue just go back to the mansion.”

“No, not without you! You promised me Logan,” Rogue shouted. “You promised you’d take care of me, you’d always be there for me. You promised me someday and I’m gonna collect on it if it kills us both!”

Sucking in breath when she jerked the gloves off literally Logan shook his head, “It won’t change things kid.”

“Yes it will. You promised me someday and I’ll have it. I’m not above touching you again Logan,” Rogue sobbed. “You promised!”

Sighing softly, Logan nodded he had promised. He’d given his word that the woman before him would have a shot at forever and he’d broken that promise as easily as one would a matchstick. “It won’t work Marie.”

“It will so. If Shay can make friends with Peter, can spend time with him than you can bloody well try for us! You promised me a chance at forever and I want it!”


“Go home,” Logan repeated softly. “I’ll meet you there.”

“No, I’ll ride with you,” Rogue replied firmly, wiping at her tears. “I don’t trust you not to pull something and leave anyway!”

Logan grinned at her suddenly. “And how exactly do you propose to get you, me, the bike, and the Porsche back to the mansion?”

“Shay can drive the car,” Rogue shrugged quickly. “She’s good at driving.”

“Shay’s driving?” Logan whipped his head around to the car and shook his head at the slight hand that waved out the window at him. “Where’d she get the keys?”

“She hot-wired it!” Rogue smiled tearfully. “We kinda stole Scott’s car.”

“He is so gonna kill me!” Logan ground out as he held out his hand, “Alright. Give me the keys and go tell Shay we’re meeting back at the mansion.”

“I kinda got that picture,” Shay said stepping out of the car. “But before you do I need to tell you something.”

“What? You burnt it down?” Logan demanded.

“No, your circulation altered.”

“My what?”

“Your aura, charge whatever you wanna call it changed. That’s what I was trying to tell you earlier. I saw it when you left your room. It’s flowing in the same direction as Rogue’s,” Shay explained.

“So?”

“What happens when you put a battery’s positive end, next to another positive end? Nothing,” Shay answered quickly. “Your electronic surges are flowing in the same direction I’d be willing to bet you can touch safely.”

“You sure?” Rogue asked quickly, “I mean won’t it just change again. You said before that his flows both ways.”

“I might, but right now I can tell you that you’re probably safe. At least with his touch.”

“Logan? Can I?” Rogue asked quickly reaching out a hand to his face.


Logan shrugged, a small zap wouldn’t hurt and if it shut up these two he figured it would be worth it! “Go for it; just remember Scott’ll skin you if we have to put the bike in the back of his car.”

Shay smiled slightly, Peter had been right about a lot of things and she was beginning to realize it. Of course watching the shock on both Rogue and Logan’s face as they touched without anything happening almost made up for all the shit she’d lived with for so long!

“Uh before you two get too comfy out here, we should head back before Scott decides we’ve all absconded with his precious vehicles and thus reports us.”

Laughing softy Rogue nodded, “You’re right. As is we’re gonna be on shop duty for a while.”

Logan shrugged, “I’ll talk to him.”

“Will you?” Shay laughed, “Good because if there is one room in the mansion I absolutely hate it’s the shop!”

“Come on, we best get back. Something tells me we’re gonna hear about this for some time!” Logan grinned at Rogue and shifted forward. He squeezed her hands as they locked on his chest and her body pressed tightly against his. He took the keys from Rogue’s trembling finger and glanced at Shay who smiled tearfully before turning to stride to the car. A moment later the blue car vanished into the curves of the highway.

“Just try.” Rogue whispered in his ear.

Logan nodded slowly and turned to glance at her, “It’s the easiest thing I’ve ever done,” he admitted. “Painless to.” Rogue’s gentle smile warmed his heart as he revved the engine of the bike and headed for the mansion.
This story archived at http://wolverineandrogue.com/wrfa/viewstory.php?sid=2888