Fears and Dilemmas by Morgana
Summary: Three years into the future and someone is having doubts.
Categories: X1 Characters: None
Genres: Angst
Tags: None
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 1947 Read: 1767 Published: 04/27/2008 Updated: 04/27/2008
Story Notes:
[] Indicate thoughts. This is my first x-men fic. Feedback is always welcome. Constructive criticism is good, flames are bad. The best beta reader in the world is Meghan...thank you! :) I've added on to this since it was beta read. (sorry meghan) So any mistakes are mine, sorry. I couldn't resist...you guys will understand. :) Enjoy

1. Fears and Dilemmas by Morgana

Fears and Dilemmas by Morgana
Robert Drake lay awake, again. It had become a regular thing over the past couple of weeks. He would try to sleep, but would always wake up as soon as he would start to drift off. It was starting to annoy him. It would cause his sleep hazed mind to imagine things such as noises in the room.

Like now for instance, he could swear he heard someone walking on the roof. He rolled over with a noisy groan only to find that the noise not only continued but sounded like it was getting closer. He sat up in bed, fully awake, and listened as the footsteps once again faded, but in the opposite direction. [Odd] He thought as he rose out of bed to investigate.

He quietly padded across his room, threw on some heavier clothes and snuck out into the hallway. He knew that the best way to get out to the roof was out one of the hallway windows and as he neared the window he realized that it was just slightly cracked open. He gently climbed out as quietly as he could and tried his best to walk stealthily towards the shadow of a person he could now see.

He watched the person for what could have been several minutes or merely seconds. Time seemed to stop as he watch the figure slowly walk their way to the edge of the roof. His breath caught in his throat as he realized the intentions of the mysterious person.

Could he do it? Could he stand there and watch as the person jumped? [Of course not?] He thought to himself.

"Hey, wait!" he nearly shouted out into the still night air.

The mysterious person turned around abruptly, somehow keeping perfect balance on the edge of the roof.

Even though he couldn't see the face of the person in the light of the full moon overhead, he could make out tendrils of white hair framing a face. That was all he needed to know.

"Rogue?" he quietly asked as he came closer to her.

"What are you doing up here?" she asked him.

"I heard footsteps and I cam up. What are you doing up here?"

"Thinking," she sighed as she turned away.

"Is that all?" He stopped walking closer, sensing her discomfort.

"Of course that's all," she almost spat. Then the thought hit her. "You thought I was going to jump didn't you?" She almost laughed.

"Well, yeah. That's what it looked like."

"I wasn't," she whispered.

"Is everything ok Rogue?" Concern laced through Bobby's voice.

"I'm fine Bobby, go back to your room and sleep," Rogue said as she sat down with her feet dangling off the edge of the roof.

"I can't. Haven't been able to sleep lately. Plus you're up here all depressed so I'm not leaving you alone." Bobby smirked at her as he took a seat next to her.

Rogue rolled her eyes. "Always the persistent one Drake."

"Always," he confirmed. "So, do you want to talk about it?"

"Bobby, do you believe in werewolves?" Rogue questioned, gazing up at the full moon overhead.

"Werewolves? Is that what you thinking about?" Bobby laughed.

"Answer the question."

"I don't know. I used to. I mean, when I was a kid and all. I guess it's possible. I don't really know what I believe I guess. Why?"

"I don't know. Full moon. Makes me think of werewolves."

"Just werewolves, Rogue, or someone else?" Bobby looked over to see her reaction.

"That was over three years ago Bobby," Rogue turned to glare at him.

"I know, but memories last."

"What's that supposed to mean?" Rogue questioned harshly.

"Whatever you want it to Rogue." he sighed.

After a long pause Rogue finally spoke, "Seriously Bobby, I'm ok. I've just been thinking about some stuff."

"Like what?" he questioned gently, not wanting to scare her away.

"Well, I'm almost twenty-one years old. I've been here in this place we call home for over three years now. I can count on one hand the number of times I've been out of these walls since I arrived here. I know that people don't really accept us, but who has to know who we are?" Rogue sighed.

"What are you talking about Rogue?" Bobby asked, suddenly scared.

"I'm thinking about leaving," she whispered.

"What? Why? You can't just leave!"

"Why can't I? Besides, it wouldn't be permanent. Maybe just for a few weeks. I only want to see what's out there. I want to see what's behind these walls I've spent so much time hiding behind. I want some freedom."

"Freedom Rogue? We do have freedom here! You know how people react to us. What if you get in trouble? Think of all the risks you'd be taking!" Bobby stood up and started pacing as he spoke.

"Well, those are risks I'm willing to take." Rogue stood up also. "I'll be fine Bobby. I can take care of myself." She smiled gently at his concern.

"Let me come with you?" His eyes pleaded with hers.

She looked away. "No, this is for me."

"I'll miss you."

"I'll miss you too Drake. Now enough with the sad looks. I'll be coming back."

"You promise?" Bobby took a step closer to her.

A rush of memories hit Rogue hard and tears flew into her eyes. "I promise," she whispered as she turned and walked back to the open window.

[She was about to cry] Bobby thought, amazed. [Maybe I might be wearing her down after all]



"Here Rogue. Take this with you." Bobby handed her a small envelope before she walked out of the door.

"What is it?" Rogue asked as she opened it. "Money? Drake, I can't take your money!"

"Shh, just take it. If it makes you feel any better just take it as emergency backup. Just in case. You can pay me back when you get back."

"How much?" Rogue asked.

"Two hundred." Bobby grinned.

"Bobby, where did you get two hundred dollars?" Rogue gasped

"I've been saving, just take it. Please? Do it for me?" he pleaded.

"I hate puppy dog eyes. I'm giving it back as soon as I get back here," Rogue said.

"You better!" Bobby laughed.

"Well, I better be on my way. I'm sure I'll have someone wanting to say goodbye to me or something," Rogue laughed rigidly as she picked up her suitcase.

"Here, I'll get that for you," Bobby offered. "What's wrong with goodbyes?"

"Thanks. Goodbyes are difficult," Rogue said as she walked out of her room and down the long hallway with Bobby in tow.

"What's wrong with difficult? A difficult goodbye means you care," Bobby grunted as he practically drug the suitcase behind him.

"Exactly my point. Hi, Mrs. Summers," Rogue greeted as she rounded the corner.

"For the last time Rogue, call me Jean please. Mrs. Summers still sounds too weird. Are you sure about this?" Jean Summers asked.

"Yes, I'm sure." Rogue fought the urge to roll her eyes.

"Ok, well if you need anything you know who to call."

"Thanks, but really, I'll be fine. I'll see you in a few weeks and call if I'm going to be late. Oh and thanks for letting me borrow the jeep. Bye!" Rogue said in one breath as she rushed out the door.

Bobby shrugged as he followed. "She hates goodbyes."

"So that's it," Rogue said as she watched Bobby shove the heavy suitcase into the back.

"You're sure this is what you want?" Bobby asked as he stared down at his feet.

"Yes, I'm sure, Robert." Rogue laughed.

"Ok, well take care Marie." Bobby smiled as he turned and walked back to the school.

"Hey Drake?"

"Yah?" he asked as he spun around.

"Thanks, for everything." Rogue smiled softly.

"No problem." Bobby grinned back as Rogue climbed into the jeep and pulled away.



Two nights later

Rogue sighed as she passed another road sign. "City of Partlow 2 miles" It read.

"Partlow? Sounds faintly promising," she said to herself as she turned the radio up and turned on her signal to exit.

She looked at the clock. "8:45"

"Time for dinner," Rogue mumbled as she pulled into a local restaurant parking lot.

"Hi honey, what can I get ya?" the waitress asked as Rogue sat down.

[I can't buy food. I have no money. Wait, Bobby's money! I can't use up all of his money though] she thought to herself. "An application?" Rogue said the words before she even realized they were in her head.

"Excuse me?" The waitress asked.

"A job application," Rogue stated again.

"Uh, sure. Hold on a minute." The waitress walked behind the counter and returned with a slip of paper. "Where are you staying? I see an out of state tag on that pretty little jeep of yours."

Rogue raised an eyebrow at the question.

"Honey, this is a small town. When someone new shows up, we all take notice." The waitress almost laughed.

"Oh, well. I guess I'm staying at that hotel right there." Rogue pointed to the Motel 6 across the parking lot. "I'm going to be in town awhile and I'd like to pick up some cash."

"Well, I'm sure we can find you something to do. The papers are just a formality. Would you like to start tomorrow night then?"

"That would be great." Rouge grinned.

"Good. Just bring these papers with you tomorrow and we'll get you started." The waitress smiled at her. "Would you like something to eat while you're here?"



"Ok, and here's where all the extra plates and cups are. You put in the orders here, and you take them here. When you're ready for the bill you bring it here. Have someone do it for you at first until you learn the register though." The waitress showed Rogue around the restaurant the next day. "Do you think you're ready, Marie?"

"I think so." Rogue looked out to the tables that were slowly starting to fill up.

"Ok, good. I'll keep and eye on ya sweetie. If you need any help you just come over and see me." The waitress smiled and turned to go.

"Thank you, Regina," Rogue told the older woman.

Rogue looked down at her carefully gloved arms before sighing and grabbing her pad of ticket slips and walked towards one of the booths that had a woman and a young boy sitting in it. Putting on her best smile she spoke, "Hi, are you guys ready to order or do you need some more time?"

"Look mommy! Look at her hair!" The little boy laughed. "I like it, it's pwetty," he quickly continued.

Rogue laughed. "Why, thank you."

"Sorry about that. We'd like two hamburgers, please, with a coke for me and a juice for him," the woman ordered.

"It's no problem. Will that be all for you for now?" Rogue asked.

"Yes, thank you."

[Well, this job is pretty easy,] Rogue thought as she went to the back to put the order in.

"Hey, Marie, new customer. Table 4." Another waitress, about her age, called to Rogue as she walked out of the kitchen holding the two drinks in her hand.

"I'll be right back to take your order," Rogue murmured as she passed by table four on the way to deliver the drinks.

"No problem," a gruff voice answered causing Rogue to spin around so fast she dropped both of the drinks.

"Lo-Logan?" she stammered, as she peered closer at the man sitting at table four.

He looked up in surprise. "Hey, what are you doing here kid?" he asked once recognition was apparent in his eyes.
This story archived at http://wolverineandrogue.com/wrfa/viewstory.php?sid=2863