Trouble by Mercy McKinnon
Summary: Logan tells the truth. Written for Khaki's Opening Sentence Challenge.
Categories: X2 Characters: None
Genres: Humor
Tags: None
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 438 Read: 1551 Published: 04/20/2008 Updated: 04/20/2008

1. Chapter 1 by Mercy McKinnon

Chapter 1 by Mercy McKinnon
"You ever killed anything?"

Logan eyed the five year old before him with a confused expression. The Wolverine could send grown men running with a look, but the little girl standing there with long blonde curls and wide blue eyes terrified him. Still he refused to let any of it show. He had a reputation to uphold after all.

"Sure. All the time."

"What kinda things?"

"Well... Bears, deer, rabbits, squirrels... I think a possum once... And people."

The wide blue eyes got wider. "People?" she squeaked out.

Logan leaned back and cracked his knuckles, figuring he finally had things under control. Next she'd want to hear all about it. "Yep. Plenty of 'em."

Then the last thing he expected happened. She began to cry. High pitched little girl crying that made him want to run for the hills and keep running.

He got the classic deer in the headlights expression. "No, no honey don't cry..." He reached to pick her up and she ran across the room.

"No! Are you gonna kill me to, if ah make you mad?"

"No, no, Melanie. All those guys... They were..." He was struck by inspiration. "They were bad guys. Real bad guys."

She slowly stopped crying, but her lower lip still stuck out in a pout that he recognized as trouble. Marie got that look sometimes before she'd... Well, that didn't bear thinking about right now.

"What kinda bad guys?"

"Umm... Well, robbers and boosts-"

"What's a boost?"

He picked her up and sat down on the couch with her. "That's a thief. Mostly car thieves. Now, where was I, umm... Then there were murderers and bookies and mercenaries..."

"What's a bookie?"

"Well, that's a-"

"Logan!"

He looked up to see Marie standing in the doorway, hands on her hips and foot tapping. "Melanie honey, why don't you go play in the other room, ah need to talk to Logan for a minute."

"Okay." She hopped up and ran out.

Marie turned her glare back on Logan. "Now, what have you been tellin' mah niece? Her momma's gonna kill me!"

"I... She just... I mean she... She asked... Aww, hell, Marie! Why'd ya leave me alone with a kid anyways! You know I don't know what to do with 'em!"

A slow smile crept across her face. "Well, there's a reason for that. Ah left you with her, so you'd learn how to deal with children. Because you'll need to."

"And why would I ever need to?"

She slipped her arms around his waist, resting her head against his chest. "Because in about seven months, you're gonna have one, sugah."
This story archived at http://wolverineandrogue.com/wrfa/viewstory.php?sid=2798