Distorted Images by Matt
Summary: Logan recieves a video from the man he killed weeks earlier. Is this really over, or has the whole thing just begun?
Categories: X1 Characters: None
Genres: Action
Tags: None
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: Symphonies of Darkness, Swords of Light [WIP]
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 5399 Read: 1069 Published: 04/19/2008 Updated: 04/19/2008

1. Distorted Images by Matt

Distorted Images by Matt
Westchester County, New York...

Shadows leapt and jumped on the wall as Logan rolled and moaned in his fitful slumber. It was a nightmare. One of flashes and the roles being reversed for himself and the Professor, and he was the one hanging off of the railing over the Lazarus Machine. Marie was calling his name and the Professor was holding a familiar, but mysterious Japanese sword, threatening to cut Logan. Just as the blade descended on his fingers, he was awoken by a knock at the door. He was slow to getting up off the couch and he answered the door. It was the mail carrier. He looked frightened by Logan's presence and he held out a tape to him.

"Mail for you, Logan. Um...Merry Christmas?" he said, uncertainly

Logan grunted in response, studying the tape and closed the door in the mail carrier's face. He walked into the living room and pulled the tape from its sleeve. It didn't have any kind of writing or markings of any kind. The sleeve didn't have a return address. Just his name. He popped it into the VCR and hit play. He was about to sit when the Professor's image flickered onto the screen. He growled loudly and popped his claws. On screen, the Professor laughed.

"Logan, put those away. If you're watching this, I'm dead. Most likely by your own hand, so calm yourself. If you have never seen me, I am known as the Professor, and I am the leader of a secret Canadian government project called Weapon X. We had been experimenting on mutants long before you came along and if this keeps up, long after you are gone. In this project, we were trying to make the perfect weapon. One without feelings or regrets. One who was a loner. A nobody with no past, present, or future until he or she struck. However, you were the only one who survived the operations. Unfortunately, you also escaped and managed to destroy the lab in the process. After that, the Canadian government cut funding. Now, we have nothing. As a show of fairness, I will now use the neurological implants in your brain to revive the memories we had taken away. Please, watch the screen," the video Professor said, and disappeared. Moments later, flashes of light began beating across the screen. Logan felt pressure behind his eyes and suddenly, an onslaught of memories hit him at once. He closed his eyes and cut himself off from the flashing light. He heard the beating stop, and the Professor began laughing again, this time, evilly.

"I knew I could get you with that sob story. You were always a sucker, Logan. I hope you enjoy your memories. You'll never know if they are yours or not. Also, enjoy your breakdown. Goodnight." With that, the Professor disappeared and Logan began to shake. Flashes ran past his eyes and he saw things that could be his memories. Running in the forest, the wind racing past his face. A Japanese girl handing him a beautiful katana sword and bowing. The sands of Egypt and hundreds of Egyptian men and women bowing before himself and a slightly larger, darker boy that was standing beside him. His eyes burned with tears and he ran out into the snow. His bare feet were instantaneously numbed but he took no notice. He ran halfway down the driveway, dropped to his knees, and roared into the sky. A few moments passed and he fell over, unconscious.



The Lab...

Lights stung his eyes as Logan swam to consciousness. He opened his eyes and looked up into two expectant faces. Jean and Marie. He swallowed heavily and glared up at them.

"What the hell happened?" he asked

Jean shook her head and shrugged her shoulders

"Aside from some frostbite, nothing that I can tell. By the way, Logan, if you're going to leave blank tapes in the VCR, please inform somebody. You almost lost it," she muttered

Logan looked at her, shocked.

"Blank? That tape...that tape shouldn't be blank."

Jean shrugged again, and said, "If you want to go back to your room, you are free to go. I certainly can't keep you here."

Logan got up and left, shaking his head. He stopped suddenly when he was wracked again with more memories. A number stumbled into his brain. His shivering stopped and he stood again, stopping in the main hall, where the phone was and dialed the number. He only heard a beep, followed by a string of electronic noises that sounded like a fax transmission. He hung up the phone after a few moments and he went to his room. He didn't leave all night. He just lay on his bed and stared at the ceiling, until Marie came into his room. She lay with him and slept as he waited for the sun to rise.



The Mansion...

Another knock brought Logan to the door. This time, instead of the usual mail carrier, he found a short man dressed in a business suit. He looked at Logan indifferently and handed him a round object that looked like a wrapping paper tube. Logan accepted it and the man nodded curtly at him, turned on his heel and left. Logan slowly closed the door and looked at the tube, which was actually looking more and more hi-tech the longer he had it. Marie walked up behind him and laid her hands on his shoulders. She looked at the package, then, at him, and asked,

"Logan, what's that?"

He shook his head and studied it for a moment. Then, Marie reached down and touched the top. It flipped open and she jumped back. A cage-like device slowly slid out and with it, a sword. Logan stared at it in shock. It was the same one that the Japanese girl from his memories gave to him. He reached into the cage and pulled out the beautiful looking katana. The scabbard was covered with Japanese lettering and the hilt was made of black onyx. Logan swallowed loudly as he touched the cold hilt and unsheathed the katana. The dark steel seemed to glow in the sunlight. He held it at attention and stared at it. His mouth felt like cotton and he slowly slid the sword back into the scabbard. He turned away from Marie and walked upstairs. When she came to see him after he missed dinner again, he was sitting on his bed, the sword on his desk. She came over to him, and for the second time that week, fell asleep in his bed, while he laid there, waiting for the sun to come up again.



Logan's room...

Sunlight streamed down through the windows. The snowflakes slowly drifted down from the sky and covered the entire grounds. Most of the student population was out playing in it, including Marie, who had begged Logan to join her, but, he had insisted that he stay in his room. It had been almost a week since he received the sword from the short man, and everyone, especially herself, was becoming very worried about him and his sleeping patterns. In that week, Marie had spent five nights with him, and when she went to sleep, he was awake. When she woke up, he was awake. He was becoming very disturbing. His eyes, that used to shine with anger and mischief, were now dull and haunted. The only thing he did all day is sit in his room and study that stupid sword. Marie was fed up, and she walked inside. Logan was standing at the window, looking out at the lake. Marie threw open his door, and stomped her foot.

"Get yer boots on, and get yer butt out there, now! 'Fore I have'ta drag ya out," she yelled at him.

Logan shook his head and continued to stare out the window. She walked over and punched his arm lightly. He turned and looked at her.

"Ah said, get yer boots on and get out thar now!" she said to him again

Logan closed his eyes and licked his lips. For the first time in almost a week he spoke and he said,

"Marie, you are a girl...a woman no man can touch. Not because of me, but, because of who you are. What you are."

She nodded, unsure of what he was getting at.

"According to these memories I got from the kindly Professor, I spent time in Japan during the Kamakura Bakufu in 1190." he said, still staring out the window.

A shocked look came over Marie's face.

"1190? That would mean that you are..."

"Over 800 years old. I know. I figured out the math. While I was traveling as a samurai, we came across a daimyo and his daughter, by the name of Miyuki. She was beautiful. I fell in love with her when I first laid eyes on her. However, she was betrothed to a man named Yoshido, who was vile and had no heart. No feelings. But, he had money, which is what the daimyo wanted. So they were to be wed. However much Miyuki hated Yoshido, she would not go against her father. By law, no man could touch her, or the man would be put to death. On the night she was to be married, she gave me that sword. It was her clan's Honor Sword. Her father had given it to her to give to Yoshido, but, she could not give her honor away to a man who had none. I had to leave Japan immediately, but, I heard after I had reached Asia that she had been put to death. I carried that sword with me for a long time. Up until the day I was captured for the Alkali Lake project. I guess that I gave it to some people to hold for me until I claimed it again. Whenever I made that phone call, I guess claimed it. " he said, still staring out the window. Marie wrapped her arms around Logan and closed her eyes, listening to his breathing. That's how they sat through the rest of the morning, together. After a while, Marie fell asleep. When she awoke, Logan was gone, and so were most of his clothes. She ran out of his room and ran into Scott. She rebounded off of him and fell flat on her back. Scott backpedaled and managed to keep his balance. She sat up and said,

"Where's Logan?"

Scott stared at her for a moment and said,

"I thought he was in his room. I was on my way up to tell you both that dinner was ready."

Marie brushed past him and walked to the front door. There were slowly fading tire tracks heading for the gates. She wheeled and saw Scott staring at her.

"He's gone!" she screamed



The Alkali Lake...

The snow fell with fury as Logan put down the kickstand to his new bike. He hurried into the nearby building and shut the door behind him. Inside, he could hear the bubbling and snapping of the Lazarus Machine. Of course, he was alone. After he had killed the Professor, the other mutants had abandoned the compound like rats deserting a sinking ship. He entered the control room and looked away from the hole in the floor he had made when he came through. A computer sat in the opposing corner, covered in cobwebs. He dusted it off and flipped it on. As it booted up, he found a makeshift chair and had a seat, just as it reached the operating system. After a few moments, a video popped up, and the Professor was there again.

"Tsk, tsk, Logan. You didn't suffer enough from the tape? You had to come back here and suffer more. Well, very well. I suppose that you think all my men escaped after I was killed. I left instructions with some of the more dangerous ones to stay behind and wait for this machine to be turned on, and you walked right into my trap. Congratulations, Logan. It's nice to see you're persistent, though. Goodbye." the video said, as the window died.

Logan heard footsteps and he spun, unsheathing the katana. Three beastly looking mutants came through and looked at Logan. Logan took a step back, and leapt at them, the first one was dead before his body knew it. His throat slit so clean he didn't even feel it. The second soon followed suit his belly sliced open, and disemboweled completely. The third, Logan considered sparing, if he didn't get stupid. Logan held the sword at the mutant's neck, just piercing his skin. His eyes narrowed and he growled, "Run, before I change my mind. And don't do anything stupid, unless you like being dead."

The mutant took a step and came hard at Logan, and he didn't hesitate. He swung the sword in a high arch and the mutant's head came away from his body, bounced, and rolled to a stop against the wall. Logan grabbed the computer and headed downstairs to the Lazarus Machine. With a few grenades he took from the mutant guard's bodies, he timed them all for thirty seconds and threw them in. The Machine sucked them down greedily. Logan grimaced and said,

"Enjoy your last meal, you thoughtless piece of shit."

He sprinted out the door, hopped on the bike and was just out of the compound when the grenades went off, sending the whole compound up in a brilliant display of explosions. Logan watched as the place that gave him his metal bones and took away his memories burned to the ground.



The Lab...

The only light in the room came from one corner. Jean sat studying the screen and jumped when Logan came inside. He looked at her and said,

"Well, Jean, can you tell me anything?"

She nodded, and spoke up.

"I can tell you everything. However, you were never meant to see any of this."

Logan looked at her, puzzled.

"What are you talking about?"

Jean shook her head.

"Those people up there, they never meant for you to come back and see this. This is very sensitive material. Sensitive to both yourself and your mental stability. I'm afraid, that as your doctor, I must deny you from seeing anything on this computer." she said

Logan was beginning to get angry.

"Who are you to tell me that I can't see what the hell they did to me up there? Who are you to tell me that I can't know about my past?!"

Jean shook her head.

"As a doctor, I cannot allow you to see this! It would go against my own moral code, and against the Hippocratic Oath!"

Logan stepped back into a stance and said,

"You can either give me that information willingly or I can get it myself. Your choice."

Jean shook her head.

"I'm sorry, Logan. I can't allow that."

With that, Jean reached over the keyboard and hit two buttons. The machine beeped and a mechanical voice said,

"File deleted."

Logan's eyes blazed.

"You bitch. How could you take that away from me?! After all that has happened to me, how could you take that from me?!!"

Jean's eyes never wavered.

"I did what I..."

Logan cut her off with a growl

"I don't want to hear your bullshit excuse. Just stay away from me. I want you to forget I even exist. Don't look at me, don't talk to me."

Logan turned away and stalked out the door. Jean sat down in the computer chair, and began wondering if what she did was for the best.



The Forest...

Snow fell around Logan as he sat in a tree, smoking a cigar. He heard a muffled fall and saw a sweet southern belle begin to utter words that she shouldn't know. He smiled and jumped down from the tree. Marie looked up at him and she grinned at him.

"Well, finally, Ah get ya out heah. Ah thought it maht take a nuclear weapon or sumthin'." she said, with a slight tinge of sarcasm in her voice

Logan leaned against the tree, and said,

"Yeah, and you might have to fight to keep me here, too."

The smile fell from Marie's lips.

"What are ya talkin' 'bout, Logan? Why wouldn't ya stay?"

Logan shook his head and stared right into her eyes.

"They betrayed me, darlin'. Jean, Scott, everyone. They're hiding something from me, and they won't tell me what. If I do leave, I wanted to take you with me, but...I don't want to take you away from your chance at a normal life..."

Marie stood up quickly and stared him down.

"Ya'd hafta chain me down to keep me from comin' with ya'."

Logan nodded and he held out his hand.

"C'mon. Let's go inside 'fore you freeze." he said

The two walked away, hand in hand to the front door.



Later that night...

Flashes of light crossed his line of vision. Thousands of men and women bowed at his feet. Suddenly, he felt a knife in his side. When the wound didn't heal, he began screaming. From his mouth came the screams of a child. That's when he saw who had stabbed him. A boy whose eyes looked too old for his years. The boy screamed something in Egyptian and he thrust the knife at his throat...

Logan sat up in his bed, panting. His bare chest shone with sweat and his hands were shaking. He went to sit up and his right hand brushed his side, just below his kidney. A bolt of pain traveled up his torso and he looked at his side. There was a large gash from the base of his ribs to just above his hips. As he stared at it, his healing factor kicked in, and soon there was nothing left, except for the blood on his sheets and on his finger where he brushed it. Logan swallowed loudly and looked at his hands. He could tell from his knuckles that he had not popped his claws during the night.

'Where did that damn gouge come from, then?' he thought to himself. He glanced at Marie, who was curled up, asleep in his desk chair. He stripped down the bed, remade it, put the bloody sheets in the closet, picked her up, and gently laid her down in the bed. She awoke slightly and mumbled a thank you. He smiled and covered her up. When she drifted back off to sleep, Logan sat down at the desk and stared at the katana until the sun came up.



Logan's Room...

A teenager was kneeling on the ground, tears streaming down his face. Around him, men and women laid dead, the blood still fresh. A lone man came up behind him, and put an angry hand on his shoulder.

"Nanto yuki o korde?" ~What is going on here?~ he asked, his hand tightening on the boy's shoulder. The boy rounded on him, his eyes blazing. When the boy brought up his hands, the man looked frightened. Six bone claws were jutting from the boy's hands.

"Temae...temae..." ~You....you...~

The man began running away, screaming, "Fujo! Fujo! Akuma! Sore ato akuma!" ~Help! Help! Demon! It's a demon!~

The boy panicked, grabbed a dagger from a dead soldier nearby and threw it as hard as he could. The dagger lodged in the man's back and he slowed to a stop before falling over. The boy heard a cry and a man with a sword charged at him. The boy cringed and staggered backwards. He turned to run and tripped on a tree root. He rolled over only to see the man almost on top of him, the sword coming down towards his head...

Logan sat up again, sweaty and panting. The dreams were getting worse. He was barely getting any sleep anymore. He noticed a faint glow coming from the sword. He got up, ignoring the dirt that was all over the bed and the blood on his hands, and he unsheathed the katana. The blade was so bright that it lit the entire room with a peaceful cobalt blue light. He stared into the shining blade and it dimmed until it was dark again. He slid it back into the scabbard and sat it down on his desk again. He let out a breath he had no idea he had been holding and tried to figure out what was going on.



Xavier's office...

Sunlight reflected off the snow outside into the darkly lit room. Xavier sat behind his desk with Scott beside him, questioning the boy in front of him. At that moment, Logan walked in, with Marie trailing behind him. He took one look at the boy and popped his claws. Xavier shouted and the boy was up and across his desk in one motion.

"He's one of the Professor's lab rats!" Logan shouted, glaring at the boy who was cowering behind Xavier.

"Yes, and he is here for protection from the Canadian Government," Xavier said, calmly.

"Or, he's here to continue where the Professor left off," Logan said.

Xavier clenched his teeth, and said, "Logan, do you think for one moment that I would allow anyone onto these grounds that I thought could harm my students?"

Logan took a look at the boy, and at Xavier's set jaw, and retracted his claws.

"Fine. Keep him out of my way."

No one saw the smile on the boy's face as Weapon X and the girl left the room. It was one of madness and cruelty, and when Xavier turned to talk to him more, it was gone.



The Halls of the Mansion...

The few days that the boy had been here, Rogue had led him around and they had become closer. Logan usually stayed in his room and studied the sword. However, one day, he ventured out to get something to eat and ran into the boy, who was not with Rogue at the moment. He growled at him, but the boy only laughed.

"You thought you could escape the Professor's grasp, Weapon X? Nonsense. You murdered my father! You destroyed my only home! My life! Now, I will destroy yours."

The boy produced a high-tech looking gun and a red beam focused in on Logan's chest. He pulled the trigger and Logan growled as the bullet penetrated his rib cage and stopped short of his heart. He growled again and the boy pulled the trigger again and again. Logan whipped around and knocked the gun from his hand, and tackled him. The boy smiled at him sadistically and began calling for help. Moments later, the hallway was full of X-Men and students. Cyclops and Storm pulled Logan from the boy and the boy skittered away, looking frightened. Before he disappeared into the crowd of students, he flashed Logan the same smile again, and was gone.



The Lab...

The smell of disinfectant hung heavily in the air and Logan lay down on the x-ray table. Storm walked over and, under telepathic advisement from Jean, operated the machine. A few moments later, a computer image of Logan's chest showed up on the screen. Storm stared at it, and looked at Jean. Jean shook her head and Storm stopped the machine. The table slid back out and Logan jumped up.

"Well, did you find them?"

Storm stared at Logan angrily.

"Logan, the only thing we found was the metal on your bones. There is nothing wrong with you. I must say, Logan, we might have to confine you to your quarters if you are going to continue this unprovoked attacking of this boy."

"I'm tellin' ya, he shot me! Three times!" Logan shouted.

Storm shook her head.

"There are no bullets in your system anywhere. This is completely unlike you, Logan. Attacking students ... children, no less."

Logan snarled at her, ripped the wires off his chest and stalked out of the room.



Logan's Room...

Frozen rain slapped at the window as Logan stared out it, running his hands down his chest, where the bullets had hit. No scars remained, nothing. He stood up and walked over to the window. Below, the fog light attached to the house was dark, and the grounds were immersed in blackness. He began pacing from window to door, his bare feet barely making any sounds as he crossed the dark room. The little bastard in the room three over from his was really getting to him.

'How did he shoot me with no bullets? What the hell...,' he thought to himself.

He was about to lie back down when a knock came at the door. He opened it and there was no one there. He walked outside and looked around. Marie came out of her room as well, and looked at Logan.

"Did you just knock on mah door, Logan?"

He shook his head and was about to say something when he heard a faint click. He looked over Marie's head and saw the boy pointing something at Marie.

"Marie, get down!" he shouted

Marie looked at him.

"What? Why?" she asked.

Logan took a step forward, but was too late. The boy pulled the trigger on the gun and a red feather dart hit Marie in the neck. She stumbled forward and Logan caught her. He looked up at the boy and roared in anger. The boy simply smiled and fired a dart that caught Logan in the throat. He knocked the dart away and the boy began firing with reckless abandon. Logan couldn't keep up with the drugs in his system and he toppled, with Marie in his arms. The rest of the students only found Logan's blood in the hallway.



The Canadian Rockies...

Fuzzy images swam across Logan's vision as he came to. The boy gently slapped his cheeks, whispering sweetly,

"Wakey wakey, Logan. I don't want you to miss this."

When Logan refused to open his eyes, the boy's hand came across Logan's face with a resounding crack. Logan's eyes snapped open and he growled at the boy. The boy smiled.

"Good. You're awake," he said, his lips cracking into the sadistic smile again, "I wouldn't want you to miss this one. I will make you pay for killing my father by making you watch this."

Logan growled but didn't answer until he saw the tazer in the boy's hand. He laughed and said, "Didn't your father make that mistake before?"

The boy snarled at Logan and he smiled again.

"Nope. This isn't for you."

The smile fell from Logan's face when the boy pointed at Marie. He walked over as Logan lunged at him from his bonds. He pushed the trigger and sparks jumped from the two metal prongs. Marie opened her eyes slightly just in time to see the prongs being applied to her wrist. She screamed as the electricity jolted her nervous system. Logan roared and lunged at the boy again. He smiled at Marie and touched her face with his bare hands.

"Poor little Marie. It must hurt. Good. I hope it does."

The boy walked over to Logan and tugged on his hair to make him look at the sobbing Marie.

"Does that make you angry? That I can touch her and you can't? That I'm making her suffer for your sins? Does it make you sick? Does it?! You dirty animal, does it wrench your soul? Tear at your pathetic excuse for a heart?! DOES IT?!" he screamed at him. Logan watched him from the corner of his eyes. The boy dropped his head and walked back over to Marie.

"Sorry, honey. He has to pay."

The boy applied the tazer to her other wrist and she screamed again as it ravaged her already raw skin. After a few moments, the boy let go and walked back over to Logan.

"You sorry piece of shit, does it hurt you? Does the look on her face kill you?! Huh?!"

Logan snapped at his hand and said,

"Touch her again, gene joke, and I'll break your fingers."

The boy recoiled.

"Touchy touchy, Logan. Good. I hope you suffer just like my father did."

The boy walked back over to Marie and slapped her. Logan growled at him and the boy walked back to him, and touched his face.

"Does that make you angry? Are you going to break my fingers now?"

Logan ripped his right hand from its bonds and latched onto the boy's hand. The boy looked shocked and Logan smiled at him.

"I warned you."

Logan squeezed with all his might and the boy's fingers snapped like chicken bones. He howled and Logan pulled him closer.

"Your father gave me one good thing: A steel skull."

Logan head butted him right in the nose, and relished in the sound of his nose breaking. The boy sank to the ground and Logan spat on him. He made short work of the rest of his bonds and he walked over to Marie. She was crying and shrank back as Logan approached. Logan knelt and popped his claws, which made him grimace. He cut her bonds and helped her out of the chair. She was shaking like a leaf, and he carried her over to the door. She got to her feet and looked at Logan's hands. They were bleeding rapidly. She gasped and tore off the arms of her nightgown, and wrapped them around Logan's hands. He allowed her to do that and grabbed her around her waist. He brought her close and looked in her eyes.

"I may not get to do this again," he said. She was about to answer him when his lips descended onto hers. It was a heart-rending, soul-searing kiss. When Logan let her go, she was breathless and she turned to Logan to ask him why, but, he pointed for the open door.

"Go. Now. I'll catch up with you."

"But, Logan..."

"Go!"

She took the hint and ran. Logan wheeled on the boy, who was slowly making it to his feet. He wobbled over to a control panel and put his hand over a red button.

"I can still get my revenge. Good-bye Logan. I'll see you in Hell."

He pushed the red button.



The Mountains Outside...

The snow swirled around Marie as she stumbled up the path. She saw a glowing red visor coming right for her and she turned to the complex to wait for Logan. Suddenly, an explosion emanated deep within the building. Cyclops grabbed her roughly and spun her onto the ground.

"Get down," he shouted, covering her with his body. The entire complex went up in mere moments, leaving only smoking rubble. Marie scrambled to her feet and ran for the decline to the complex. Cyclops grabbed her around the waist and held her back.

"No! It's no use! He's gone! You can't help him now!" he yelled into the wind.

Marie still struggled.

"LOGAN!!! NOOO!!!!! LOGAN!!!!!!!!" she screamed, her arms outstretched

Cyclops still held her back from going down.

"LOGAN!!!"



The Mansion, Christmas Eve...

The joy in the mansion was nonexistent as they buried an empty coffin for Logan. Professor Xavier gave a eulogy and the rest of the students came inside to sit around the tree. Marie hadn't spoken since that fateful day, and she walked around in a daze. Ororo was the one who decided to open a few presents, to at least gain back some of the Christmas joy. She handed a gift to each of the students and the X-Men. Marie just stared out the window until Storm got to her.

"Here, child. I don't know whom this one is from. Might as well open it. It's what he would want," she said. Storm didn't dare say his name. Marie took the gift with limp arms and she slowly opened it. It was a jeweler's case. When she opened it, inside was a silver ring on a chain. With it was a note. She looked it over and quickly darted over to the front doors. It was there where she started crying. Storm rushed over and hugged her, and asked what was wrong. Marie shook her head and started crying harder. After a few moments, she looked at Storm with bright eyes.

"He's...he's alive."

This story archived at http://wolverineandrogue.com/wrfa/viewstory.php?sid=2776