Actus Fidei (Act of Fidei) by Marisa
Summary: A quasi-angsty, then fluffy-happy little story about everyone's favorite pairing and a certain German mutant.
Categories: X2 Characters: None
Genres: Shipper
Tags: None
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 778 Read: 1606 Published: 04/13/2008 Updated: 04/13/2008
Story Notes:
Partly inspired by the song "Cathedrals" by Jump Little Children. I'm not good at hashing out accents, so just imagine Kurt's adorable German inflections.

1. Actus Fidei (Act of Fidei) by Marisa

Actus Fidei (Act of Fidei) by Marisa
Marie had always thought that her faith disappeared the day she crept out of her house, shunned by her devoutly religious parents who had always indoctrinated her with the loving nature of God. She remembers the hot, languid Sundays filled with sermons, Bible study, and church picnics. She also remembers throwing rocks through the stained glass windows at her parents' beloved house of worship, smiling through her tears upon hearing the tinkle of broken centuries-old glass.

The stunning chaos following Logan's return only seemed to reinforce that. He was like a tornado; gone almost as soon as he arrived, leaving bedlam and a terrible mess to clean in his wake, and seemingly unfeeling about the whole affair to others. Unable to cope with the loss of Jean, he had left again, coming to her with only a promise. He had things to take care of, and would return as soon as they were resolved.

In his absence, Marie became drawn to the mansion family's newest addition. Nightcrawler had taken a chance on her the day he saved her life, and she was determined to get to know him. Still getting used to the new environment and the stares (mutant children are, after all, still children), Kurt had relegated himself to long hours of prayer in the estate's chapel.

Several times a week, she found herself making the journey through the estate grounds. Sometimes, she would just stand outside the small wooden building and watch him through the windows, his figure obscured by the colors of the glass. That was usually during the day, when she had extra time at lunch and not the heart to disturb his quiet meditations. Usually, she ventured to the mansion's elegant chapel at night, after the dew settled onto the grass and the stars emerged to silently cast their gaze over the land below them. Kurt always lit the candles at night, and in their soft glow, she could almost forget who she was and focus on the tranquil magic of her environment.

The evening ritual was always the same. Marie would enter and light the one candle left unlit. Soon after, the familiar BAMF! could be heard behind her and Kurt would offer her some kind of wildflower via his tail. She never could have imagined that the acrid smell of sulfur would make her smile.

Normally, the two would just sit quietly, Kurt content to study religious texts and Marie to write or simply enjoy the silence. Tonight, however, things were different.

"You seem to be in a great state of turmoil, Rogue."

"How do you stay so strong, Kurt?" Marie asked, with a shaking voice.

"What do you mean?" Kurt placed his book on the pew and shifted closer to the young girl.

"In your faith, in what you believe in. How is it that you find such comfort in this place?"

"Ahh, it is the comfort that keeps me faithful. It is not something one can easily explain, but I am home when I am in such an environment as this. It is simply a matter of finding home for yourself."

"But every time I find someplace to call home, it never lasts," Marie replied, barely able to contain her tears.

"Then your search is not yet finished. One day, you will just know. Until that day, I hope you will continue to join me here." With that, he smiled, placed a hand on her head, and then disappeared in a puff of smoke.

"Ever the mystery, that man is," she spoke aloud, listening to the hum in the air that her voice caused.

"What man, darlin'?" a second voice resonated in the humid air.

Marie gasped, frozen to the spot. Surely she must be hallucinating, and she was afraid to indulge her mind's tricks.

"Marie? Are you alright? Turn around, baby, it's me."

"Logan?" Her voice suddenly sounded awfully timid.

"None other. And I'd like the chance to help you find your home, if you'll have me."

At that moment, Marie finally understood Kurt's words, and his great wisdom. Just his deep voice alone made her feel alive, so alive she could barely stand it. She jumped from her seat and flew into his arms.

She collided with her love with a force so powerful it sent them both crashing to the floor. Through his laughter, Logan managed to get out a "missed me, eh?"

In his arms, Marie didn't have to search any further.

One year later to the day, Kurt performed the ceremony that bound them together for all time, in the small house of worship where they had not only reunited, but regained their faith.
This story archived at http://wolverineandrogue.com/wrfa/viewstory.php?sid=2743