After the Mission by Maria101372
Summary: Rogue and Logan find out what they really feel.
Categories: X2 Characters: None
Genres: Shipper
Tags: None
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 3352 Read: 2688 Published: 04/13/2008 Updated: 04/13/2008

1. After the Mission by Maria101372

After the Mission by Maria101372
The latest mission had taken its toll on Rogue. She had been very lucky that she did not have classes for the next couple of days so the sprained ankle she received could maybe heal up a little. Jean and Hank told her to keep it up and ice it frequently. Normally, this small of an injury would not have phased her, but with Logan back and him still so interested in Jean the way he was, Rogue was depressed enough already.

Jubilee and Kitty had tried their very best to keep her mind off it before the mission. Taking her to the Mall or to the movies and trying to fix her up with different boys. At first Rogue thought it best not to try and date others, but the reality of the situation hit and she knew if she did not get away from Logan's infatuation with Jean she would do something like cry in front of him or something and she was not about to give him that satisfaction. So Jubilee and Kitty would dress her up in tight jeans and mid-drift tees. Satin gloves would reach up to just above the elbow to show just the least bit of skin exposed before the sleeve of her shirt would start. That black silk scarf would cover her throat, but not the cleavage exposed at the edge of the tee. Despite the disapproving looks from Logan, who still thought of her as a child, she would run out the door. She had a good time for the most part, but nothing ever developed past a fun time. Not even hand holding. Her heart just was not in it. Then she would come home and be hit full on with the Logan/Jean advances. Scott would fume, but never said anything. Many times if Rogue was around at the same time as Scott when the show would start they would exchange understanding looks. Scott did not ever broach the conversation with her though.

Many knew that Rogue and Scott were the victims in the situation and usually Jean and Logan felt the sting of some sharp retorts. Rogue never wanted that though, even as much as she hurt. Often she would go to the bathroom in the middle of the night and sit in the tub and cry. Once Logan, whom still seemed tuned into her in spite of all the time that passed since the Liberty Island ordeal and after he had just come back, knocked lightly on the door calling out her name.

"Marie?"

She sniffed and swiped her eyes trying to stop the tears. He honestly sounded worried about her and she did know he cared for her even though it was not how she wanted him to really care for her. She moved from the tub and padded barefoot over to the door and cracked it peeking at him through the small space.

"Yeah?"

"You all right?" She saw his brow raise with the question as he took in her teary eyes. She nodded softly and then peeked up at him.

"Did someone hurt you Marie? You know...if they did..." His strangely subdued and quiet voice trailed off. Any other time he would have been hell bent on dragging them through the fire and brimstone of the underworld. Yelling and cursing anyone who hurt his Marie. This time though he was deathly quiet.

She shook her head quietly and her eyes met his. He ran a finger down the left side of her face over one of the white streaks that hung there loosely.

"Is it me?" He almost looked terrified. She realized he knew that he was hurting her with his Jean assaults and she could see he was scared he might have been the one to hurt her. Logan - Wolverine her very own protector was the one doing the damage to his Marie.

She just could not, even as it killed her, make him feel bad for her feelings over him. She put on a soft gentle smile for him.

"It could never be you Logan." She heard the drawl in her voice surprised it showed up at time like this. "I am just...a little upset is all." She tried to give him another brave soft smile. "I will be all right. Ah promise."

He moved to lean against the doorframe for just a second looking at her and making sure she was really ok. Long moments passed between them with no words just him reading her face and eyes. His look was so intense for a moment she almost shivered at the feeling he was giving her. It was one of complete possessiveness, complete and utter love and caring. He loved her like no other. She knew that just by his look. She was on a pedestal for him. She realized then and she knew she would never ever hurt him. If he wanted Jean he could have her as long as he always only loved Rogue like that. She knew then that she was special to him.

"If you're really ok?" He moved to ready himself to leave her, but gave her another look to make sure she would not stop him. She nodded.

"Yes...Ah am." He returned the nod and started to turn.

She closed her eyes only a moment before she opened the door and padded out to stand in the hall with him. Her black nightgown hugged her curves. Her pale skin showing everywhere that satin fabric stopped and her voice almost hitched when she said his name.

"Logan...Wait!"

He turned again and she saw his chest pause in mid-breath as he looked over her body. He swallowed and that was the only recognizable sign of any affect she may have had on him, but it was there and her heart filled with just a little bit more hope.

"Yeah?" He looked into her eyes again.

"Ah...I...I am so glad your home." She paused wanting to salvage some of what they used to have in the short time they knew each other. She moved up to him and hugged him softly almost scared too. His clothing the safe layer protecting him from her bare limbs and exposed skin. She felt him pause at her hug and then a soft breath as his arms moved around her to hold her tenderly, his gloved hands pressing into her back lightly. She felt his breathing regulate as he held her. She knew she had to move, but did not want too. He held her like that for moments until she finally moved back.

"I missed you." Looking at him then. "I know you are busy, but can we spend some time together please. While you’re home?" She gave him a hopeful look that melted his heart. His Marie. She was his very own china doll. Perfect in everyway except skin deadly-to-the-touch and way too young for him even though her eyes held an age of their own. She could read his expression as he contemplated her.

Logan smiled at her then and growled a little for emphasis. "Darlin' you're the whole reason I am back. Of course we are gonna spend time together. Nothing gonna stand in my way for that." He tilted her chin up with a bent finger. She could still see the concern in his eyes but was glad that she still loved him. She could see the hope and relief in his eyes that she wanted to be his girl still.

She nodded and then watched as he released her and was about to go, but paused. "One more thing Marie."

"What?"

A soft growl before and after the next sentence was heard and it made her shiver a little.. "Don't let me catch no one else seeing that nightgown on ya. I don't feel like kicking every guy's ass in this damn place...but I will if I have to."

She giggled softly at that and then felt a little better almost as if everything was back to normal.

Things did seem to improve too. Wolverine and Rogue were inseparable for the most part. Watching sports, taking walks or Scott's bike out for a ride. He even seemed up to watching her favorite movies if they were actions or adventures and tolerated her music when they would sit outside with a radio as he worked on a car in the garage. Training became a ritual every morning. He pushed her hard and she was never so healthy she thought. Her pale skin even took on a little bit of honey tone where it was exposed. Their evening chats in her room were the best. Sometimes they just sat and enjoyed the quiet of being near each other too.

But things were not perfect. Because he would still flirt with Jean every chance he got. He would volunteer for extra jobs that could get him close to the med lab. He would go out on every mission that she was assigned to. The worst thing was Scott was usually not there when they went. Professor knew that Jean kept Logan mellow where Scott...well , Scott just became another target. No matter what there is an underlying amount of respect between Scott and Logan, but neither would ever admit it. When Jean came in the room Logan's eyes would become quite amused and he would start with her right away. The most surprising thing is that she matched him. Flirting right back. That was when Rogue usually conveniently disappeared. Why go through that torture? Most times he would not even notice her as she left. But once in a while he gave her a look like "there she goes again...running" or "don't go far. kid."

Once when he and Jean started touching each other in a tickle match I half ran out of the room to get away from that. That was the night of the mission. He had just reached out and started tickling her after she teased him so much he was bursting. Tickling was the safest thing I guess they thought without going straight to bed. I must have given off a vibe or something before I left because for some reason he looked right at me and sobered up. He almost looked hurt. Rogue did not know why until she got out of the room and damn if tears had not slid down her cheeks without her realizing she was crying. It had hurt so much but she had been so numb lately too the attacks of Jean/Logan bouts of flirting that her heart took over before her mind could register. She had not meant to show him how bad it affected her.

She stood in the hall for a moment and Logan was standing there watching her with the strangest expression on his face. Like he just realized the worst truth ever or that he lost his best friend. She looked back at him and leaned against the wall her head tilted to lean against it too. She spoke softly.

"Ahm so sorry Logan." She slowed down. He was so far away it seemed. "Ah did not mean for this...to happen." She looked at him still. "It's more than a crush. Ah know it is." Her voice trembled and that slow drawl was heavy in her sadness. She did not even try to keep it from slipping out.

He stayed where he was. "Marie...?" He paused. He broke their gaze and looked down and put a hand to the back of his neck as if he was trying to figure something out then. "I..I knew some, but had no idea really. Not ‘til just now when I looked at you, kid"

He was talking to the floor as if he was surprised. He was about to say something else when Jean came through the door. "Let's go you two...we have a mission..." She passed them and Rogue stood up tall looking at him one more time and then followed behind Jean and she felt him move behind her.

They met up at the Blackbird. Now all were dressed in those black leather uniforms that they all wore. Rogue's hair up into a pony-tail. She was easily dismissed to one of the back seats as everyone else moved closer to the front. She was glad of that because she did not have to feel Logan's eyes on her. Her mind reeled through the whole mission.

They were picking up 5 young mutants that were getting caught up with a bad crowd that made them use their powers as weapons of death. She had ended up chasing one down a hill and took a spill as another tackled her. She had landed wrong on her ankle coming out of that fall. Logan made his way to her first and she saw the look of dread in his eyes that it had been worse.

"Am all right. I mean it." She still did want to hurt him and she knew even though he loved her differently that he still loved her. She smiled softly. "Ahm just a klutz. I guess my mind was not on the mission today." That slipped out and a look of pain covered his brow. He knew it was because of him and therefore she got hurt because of him in his mind. “It is not your fault Logan..." She looked at her ankle and gingerly touched it. Cyclops and the others found them then and Logan moved at the same time as Scott to help her to the plane. When Scott got there first she noticed the look Logan gave him as he helped her to the plane. Logan's jaw twitched as he lagged back a little letting Scott handle Rogue's retreat to the Blackbird. He was supposed to be the one to take care of her like that and it made him antsy not to carry her to the plane and make sure she was all right, but he knew he needed to give her a little space and was trying. Soft growl escaped him as he waited for them to finish up so he could talk with Marie.

Out of everyone she was the only one to get injured. The kids had reluctantly decided to return with them once they finally gave Scott and Jean and Storm time to explain whom the Xmen all were and what the school could do for them. Hours later Rogue would sit on her bed with the injured foot propped up on some throw pillows. Ice pack sliding off as her eyes search out the window to the grounds below. Dark shadows played here in there as dusk started to fall. She pulled her knee up on the other leg and wrapped her arms around it as she stared out the window.

A knock at the door had her sitting up straighter and pushing a damp wet lock of shock white hair behind her ear. She had gotten a shower with some difficulty before so her hair was still wet and rather curly because the pain in her ankle decided that she would not being blow drying her hair at the moment. "It's Open..." Her voice was soft and silky. She did not realize it was and it was not what she intended because she knew who it was before they entered. She watched him open the door and close it. Then lean back against it to look at her. His hands were in his pockets and he stood there for a few moments just looking at her. She returned the look, but said nothing.

"Hey Kid."

She smiled softly, but still said nothing.

"How is the foot?" She frowned and moved the ice pack for him to see. She felt him push from the door and move closer. He winced a little as he looked at the red ankle, now purple and black from the sprain. "Looks like it hurts babe."

Brown eyes turned up to him. "Yeah. But the pain killers dull it some. Probably will be a while before I can train again." He nodded. More quiet.

Finally, he broke the silence. "Damn it...Marie? Why didn't ya tell me how ya felt?" His eyes searched hers.

"What does it matter Logan?" She looked him in the eyes for a moment. "As long as you love me in some way, that is all that counts. Please...please don't think it will happen again. Ah...I did not mean for it to happen today. Never have I wanted you to feel bad for not loving me the same way." She looked down a minute. "Ah just want you happy."

That damn drawl again. She hated the way it just showed up sometimes.

He shoved a hand in his thick hair and then sat down on the edge of the bed. "I knew you had a crush on me. Then I knew there was jealousy about me and Jean, but...well then I knew it was a deeper love that night outside the bathroom, but I thought it was still something that would fade into a brother/sister love. But damn when you were in the common room and looked at me like your heart was breaking and like...Marie you did not even know you were crying did you?" He looked at her then. "Damn it was like getting hit with a sledge hammer. My own heart felt like it was ripping from my body. Worst thing I ever felt." He paused then.

She just waited letting him work it out a little. "I love you Logan...so much it hurts, but I know we can't be together like that. I know ya just don't feel the same. But I can't not be around you. It's the sweetest torture in the world but I have to be near you."

"It's not gonna be easy for you to be around me you know that right?" He looked at her. "It's gonna hurt like hell seeing someone else there. Where someone else should be."

"Yes it is." She would die if Jean and him ever actually kissed in front of her or she found out they made love, but she would deal with it because her heart was so lost to him.

He started talking again. "So unless you can be with me Marie, I can't stand that kind of torture. I don't know how you did it, but it nearly drove me insane just watching you go out on dates. My only hope was when you would finally come back and just say it was all right."

She looked at him as it registered in her mind what he just said. "What?"

"I meant it, Marie. I don't want anyone else to see you in that nightgown or out of it." He moved closer to her and watched her. Searched her eyes. "I know it is so wrong to love you but I can't help it. You had my heart from day one. I just did not want to lose what we had."

Rogue's mouth made a perfect "o" shape as she listened to him say that last. The mention of no one else but him seeing her was so possessive that it cut through to the bone. The mention that his heart belonged to her nearly made her float.

"What are ya saying sugar?" She looked at him hopefully as he inched closer.

"Can't figure it out darlin'? I would have thought you could read my intent." He bent towards her slowly dragging her scarf from her neck and then letting it hover just above her mouth as he finished speaking. "I am gonna make sure I am the only one that you want to show off that sexy little number to." He smiled softly and growled a minute and then stopped. "That, and I love you too."

Rogue shivered again and at that growl she purred for him before she felt the soft texture of that scarf and the intense pressure of her first kiss with Logan.

The End
This story archived at http://wolverineandrogue.com/wrfa/viewstory.php?sid=2737