Goodbye To You by Louise P
Summary: And I said Goodbye to you Goodbye to everything I thought I knew
Categories: X1 Characters: None
Genres: Songfic
Tags: None
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 1410 Read: 1300 Published: 04/11/2008 Updated: 04/11/2008

1. Goodbye To You by Louise P

Goodbye To You by Louise P
Of all the things
I've believed in
I just want to
Get it over with


He sat on the edge of his bed, head in hands, wondering how on earth he was going to tell her. No one had ever made him feel like this, it was a new sensation to him. Over the past two months as much as he hated to admit it, a different side to him had emerged, one which was usually safely buried deep under the cold, stony exterior. One day it had struck him hard, like a punch to the face: He loved her. As much as he had tried to stifle his feelings, it had become clearer and clearer that she was the one he should be with. Marie. But as well as it had worked out, something else played on his conscience, like an unknown entity constantly haunting his thoughts. She was a young girl, with her whole life ahead of her, and he... well, he could well three times her age. He had to finish it.

Tears form behind my eyes
But I do not cry
Counting the days
That pass me by

She sat on the edge of her bed, staring into the space before her, in the exact spot which she had been sitting in two weeks before, when Logan had told her that it was over. For those two weeks, since he had left she had existed in a state of denial. Although it wasn't denial, not really. She knew perfectly well that he was gone. Possibly forever, when all she ever wanted was to be close to him. If she had thought that tears would have brought him back, she would have started crying and never stopped, however she was more realistic than that. Two weeks of pain, grief, and a will to keep going, kept up only by the single substratal hope that he'd come back to her.

I've been searching
Deep down in my soul
Words that I'm hearing
Are starting to get old

Staring down at the oak bar in front of him, his mind hunderds of miles away, Logan was tormented. Over and over he had told himself that he had done the right thing, that it wouldn't have worked out, that she was better off without him there, but the words were hollow, impassive, and each time he repeated this mantra to himself, lying sleepless in some motel, or driving in his truck down an empty highway, they lost a little of their meaning. He needed her, more than anything in the world, but he couldn't go back, she had to move on.

It feels like
I'm starting all over again
The last three years
Were just pretend
And I said
"Goodbye to you"
Goodbye to everything
I thought I knew
You were the one I loved
The one thing that
I tried to hold on to.

She stood alone in the gym, memories of her and Logan cascading back. Before her eyes began to burn with inhibited tears she focused her attention on something, anything else. Logan had been her whole life, he had saved her and he made her whole. Without him, as she stood deserted in the middle of the huge empty room, she was vacant, incomplete, half-dead. She had thought it had been so perfect. All she had wanted for three years was for him to love her, and her dreams had come true that one night when he had told her that he did. How could he just throw that away seemingly with such ease? Had he really loved her? Were his words, apparently sincere and injected with tenderness, really flimsy and valueless, said at the spur of the moment, in the heat of passion when nothing he said was true? No. He had loved her. Still did, in fact. He had left for her. Given up his life at the mansion for her happiness. If only he knew that leaving had taken away the only thing in the world that could make her smile.

I used to get lost in your eyes
And it seems that
I can't live a day without you

Life on the road had started to get hard for Logan. Four months away from New York, from Marie, and he had come to realise that it would kill him, eventually, being away from her. He closed his eyes and tried to conjure up her face in his mind, but it was getting hard. The days when he would spend hours just staring into her eyes, and the nights when he would lie awake beholding her perfect face, he missed the feeling that had brought him. Night after night, alone in some motel, or with other women, women he had no love for, he forced himself to exist, with memories of Marie, and what they had shared.

Closing my eyes and
You chase my thoughts away
To a place where
I am blinded by the light
But it's not right

Alone under her cold, white sheets, Marie dreamed. Logan staring into her eyes as she delighted in just being in his company. Cold, hard longing for him which had for years seemed irresolute, had finally proved fruitful. He brought to her a happiness that she had never experienced before, happiness that took over the continual dark she felt, having deadly skin. He had not been afraid to touch her, if not physically. He had saved her life in more ways than one. Those times when just being with him felt so right, now after five months to think it over, seemed a distant memory. It was not right. Never had been, and never would be.

Goodbye to you
Goodbye to everything
I thought I knew
You were the one I loved
The one thing that
I tried to hold on to

He hadn't just left her behind that night six months ago, he had also left a part of himself in that room in New York. It was a part of him which he hadn't even known existed, had taken for granted for that short time that they were together, and had not missed in his misery of leaving her. He had abandoned her, his whole world, and now he had nothing to hold on to on those nights when he felt himself begin to drown, no one to save his life, like she had in the past.

And it hurts to want everything
And nothing at the same time
I want what's yours
And I want what's mine
I want you
But I'm not giving in this time

She wanted him, no, she needed him, and for purely selfish reasons. She felt as though she would never move on, and more than anything she wanted him back in her life. But she knew she couldn't have him, and a part of herself understood, after these seven months, that he had left for her own sake, because he knew that she had a life ahead of her, one that shouldn't include him. She didn't deserve him.

Goodbye to you
Goodbye to everything
I thought I knew
You were the one I loved
The one thing that
I tried to hold on to


And so, the months passed. Day after excruciating day, and life went on. Logan tried to move on, but his life was forever haunted by Marie. From town to town he moved about, too restless to settle in one place for too long, reverting back to his former self, but with that perpetual weight on his shoulders, knowing that he had left his heart behind that night in New York, and that, hard as it was, he had to deal.

The one thing that
I tried to hold on to
And when the stars fall
I will lie awake
You're my shooting star


As she stared at the ceiling of her room, insminous as usual, a single tear escaped her eye and rolled down her cheek. Acceptance had been hard, and she doubted that she would ever truly accept that a part of herself had disappeared. She could still feel that bit of him inside her, from that night that she had nearly thrown away the one person she cared for. Every night it was the same, and would be forever - these silent tears she wept in the darkness for him. Her shooting star, as the stars fell around her.

This story archived at http://wolverineandrogue.com/wrfa/viewstory.php?sid=2724