Good Screams by Lisa Greeneyelove
Summary: Logan comes home for the second time.
Categories: X2 Characters: None
Genres: Shipper
Tags: None
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 1820 Read: 2319 Published: 04/06/2008 Updated: 04/06/2008

1. Good Screams by Lisa Greeneyelove

Good Screams by Lisa Greeneyelove
Logan returned to the mansion for the second time two weeks after I celebrated my twenty first birthday and after one look at him, I knew my love for him was something that would never fade. I had worked hard to tell myself that I would get over him, in time, in the year and a half that had passed since the nightmare at Alaklia Lake, I had managed to accomplish a lot…I had learned to control my powers, I had joined the team…and I had always tried daily to convince myself that I was not waiting for Logan to return once and for all. I went out on dates, hung out with my friends…I did all that I could to make myself believe that Logan was in my past…but the second I saw him, all those lies faded like dew in the hot summer sun and I went right into his arms, to hug him and welcome him home.



It felt so good, so right, to feel his arms around me…this was Logan…I pulled back and looked up into those remarkable eyes and he smiled down at me, just as he always had and I was totally, completely gone.



Logan had called a grand total for four times in eighteen months, so I had a lot that I had to catch him up on. He knew some of the basics, he knew that John had come to the mansion seeking forgiveness less than three months after he ran off with Mags, and Logan knew that John and Bobby were a happy couple.



Oh, yeah, he also knew Jean had come back from the dead.



Charles had told him that when it had happened, some six months prior to Logan’s actual return, so not for a second did allow myself to wonder why Logan had come home at long last.



He was there for Jean.



Knowing that hurt like hell, but I buried the pain, put on a happy front and fell easily into the role of Logan’s best friend. I showed him around the mansion again, showed him all the things that had been added during his time away…I told him about some of the new students and I even explained how I had learned to control my skin.



I also told him about the Carol incident.



He was not pleased that the professor or someone hadn’t told him about that, but I assured him I was fine, I had complete control of all the people in my head and now I had some extra strength and I could fly.



Still, he said he would have liked to have been there for me and I smiled and told him all that mattered to me was his finally being home, where we all knew he belonged and he grinned. I don’t think I had ever seen Logan grin before. It was quite a sight, I must confess…my heart thundered in my chest, but I pushed back all I was feeling as he looked up in time to see Jean come walking into the room, looking more elegant and more beautiful than ever.



I couldn’t stand it.



I couldn’t watch their reunion.



Even if Jean was with Scott, I knew she was attracted to Logan, she loved it when he flirted with her, but I wasn’t prepared to see it just yet, so I quietly slipped from his side and drifted from the room to leave them alone.



Mature? Maybe not. Necessary for my sanity? Oh yeah.



In the days that followed, Logan and I spent a lot of time together, talking about all he had seen on his travels and how he had finally accepted that he would never fill all the holes in his past and he was okay with that.



He said he wanted to concentrate on the future.



My guess was he wanted to concentrate on a future with Jean.



Of course, I didn’t let myself think about that, I just played the buddy and each time Jean came into the room, I excused myself so she and Logan could be together alone, to talk or…whatever.



Didn’t let myself think about what whatever could be.



I talked to Jubes and Kitty, of course, and I told them how I felt, how I wanted to be the one Logan wanted…I wanted to be the one he longed for and needed, but I was wise enough to know that I did not compare to Jean.



I was wise enough to know the only thing standing between Jean and Logan was Scott.



Then the bomb was dropped.



Right on my fucking head.



Or heart, if you prefer.



Scott broke up with Jean…said things had been different since her return and they had both come to realize it was time to move on.



And he already had.



Right into Kitty’s warm and welcoming arms.



I figured it was nice that at least one of us was getting her man.



And Jean was getting mine.



Well, after the news broke, I knew it was only a matter of time before Jean was in Logan’s bed, so I began to pull back from him just a little, trying hard to get myself prepared for the day when Logan wouldn’t have any time to spend with me.



Jean would be the center of his world.



And it would happen soon, I knew.



Jubes confirmed it when she found a receipt crumpled up on the floor outside of Logan’s bedroom.



It was from a local jewelry store.



Logan had went there to be a ring.



A very expensive engagement ring.



Jubes cried with me when she told me about her find, but I said it was okay, it was not totally unexpected that Logan would make a play for Jean while he had a chance, and I willed myself to believe I could be happy for him.



Of course, the first time I saw him in the hall, after me and Jubes talked, I promptly burst into heated tears and ran back into my room, slamming the door.



And Logan, being Logan, followed me and came in without knocking.



He came to the bed and set down beside me.



“Marie…” He put a hand on my back, but that only made he cry harder.



“Please, Logan…I can’t…I need time to deal with it…” I was stumbling over my words, making a wonderful fool of myself, but suddenly I didn’t care because I was hurt and I was angry.



“Marie, what it is? What has you so upset?”



Sniffing, I brushed at my tears with the back of my hand and I looked up at him, with all I was feeling in my eyes.



“I know, Logan. It’s…I would say it’s okay, but it hurts.”



He frowned at that. “Kid, I don’t know what you are talking about.”



I could see he was confused, so I knew I would have to clear it up for him.



“Jubes found the receipt on the floor outside your room. I know…” I looked away from him and he cursed.



“You know I bought a ring.”



I nodded.



“Marie…”



“Look, Logan, it’s okay. I mean, I know you love Jean. I just…”



“What? Jean? What the hell does Jean have to do with it?”



I turned to him again. “Well, she is free now and you got a ring…”



To my utter astonishment, he laughed. “I didn’t by no ring for Jean.”



“No?”



“No, you beautiful, silly, wonderful little fool, I did not by a ring for Jean, and I did not come home for Jean.” His eyes found mine and held and I didn’t dare breathe for fear or ending what I was feeling in that moment and that was hope.



“Then…why? Why a ring?”



“Cause I figured you to be a traditional sort of girl and I thought you might want a ring to show off after I…” He lifted a shoulder, looking almost nervous. “Hell, Marie, I have been trying to think of the right way to do this, but since Old Yeller found that receipt I guess…”



“Logan…”



“Damn, Marie, I love you. I have loved you all along, I just didn’t know how to face all that, cause I didn’t think I was good enough for you and I’m pretty sure I’m not good enough but I am a selfish bastard and I love you too much to stay away from you and that is why I came home.” He said it all on a rushed breath. “I want to marry you, and I want to be with you forever and you know…I want to have kids with you and all of the other stuff people in love do.” I could tell he was flustered, he was not a man at all use to expressing his feelings, so I decided to help him out and with a delighted scream, I threw myself in his arms and kissed him, telling him that yes I loved him, and yes I would marry him and have babies with him and anything else he wanted because he was all I had ever wanted.



Logan pulled back from my embrace long enough to slip the ring on my finger.



And then we slipped off our clothes.



Later, Jubes told me the screams actually scared some of the younger kids, they were afraid I was being murdered.



Jubes said she told them they were good screams.



Really, really, really good screams.



Told them if they wanted to know what brought about really, really, really good screams, they would have to ask Mr. Summers.



Needless to say, Scott was not pleased with Jubes.



Needless to say, Scott suggested to the professor that Logan and I be given a room well removed from everyone else.



Needless to say, the professor agreed after most of the school heard me scream ‘Jesus Christ, Logan, I need to come now…’.



It was about three days before Logan and I got ourselves together enough to tell everyone we were engaged and I was red as a beet each time Scott looked at me and laughed and Jubes pulled me aside and told me if Logan ever found out he had a brother, she was calling dibs in advance.



“Sorry, Jubes.” I said, hugging her and winking at Logan over her shoulder. “But I am pretty sure my man is one of a kind.”



And needless to say, me and Logan were married right away and every night, we put that thick walled and removed room of ours to very, very good use.



And Logan still brings about the really, really, really good screams.



The End
This story archived at http://wolverineandrogue.com/wrfa/viewstory.php?sid=2679