Not Forgotten #26 by Khaki
Summary: Rogue gathers her thoughts.
Categories: X1 Characters: None
Genres: Drama
Tags: None
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: Not Forgotten
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 819 Read: 1830 Published: 03/01/2008 Updated: 03/01/2008

1. Not Forgotten #26 by Khaki

Not Forgotten #26 by Khaki
Rogue couldn't believe that it was Jubilee lying past that window. This was not the vibrant young woman who'd become her friend. She lay motionless except for the mechanical rising and falling of her chest as the ventilator kept her alive. Her skin was drawn and so pale that the pallor almost matched the white sheets surrounding her.

In spite of the head bandages, Rogue could see that about half of her scalp had been shaved for the surgery. Jubilee, who'd always been proud of her appearance, would be furious. She'd probably demand that Jean shave her hair off, too. Either that, or she'd declare the look to be extremely fashionable and half the girls in the school would shave their heads so they could be as cool as her. Of course, she had to wake up first.

Rogue had expected to feel sad, guilty,... something when she saw Jubilee. She only felt numb. All the crying she'd done in Logan's arms had left her feeling empty. His presence had been welcome at the time, but now, she just wanted to be alone.

She turned and went towards the elevator, and this time, Logan followed her upstairs. He walked her to her room and then, after a few parting words of reassurance and solace, he retired to his own room.

Rogue laid down on her bed, but despite her weariness, she couldn't find escape in sleep. It was only around 6 in the evening, and her mind was too active. She wanted to go up on the roof to think, but then again, she also wanted to sit on her favorite bench, or maybe just walk through the woods. She decided to combine all those comforting things into one, flying out her window towards the woods lining the property.

Picking a nice large tree, she found a place to sit in the uppermost branches. Here, she was high enough to see for miles, but also surrounded by the calming smells of nature and the sounds of students playing on the grounds after dinner. She could feel her body relaxing, even though the hard, nobby branch wasn't the most comfortable seat.

Swinging her legs, she started picking at the bark of the branch absentmindedly as she thought about everything that'd happened to her over the past few years. Talk about an identity crisis. She wondered if people with multiple personality disorder had the same experiences. Did Sybil find it confusing when her personalities had been amalgamated?

In many ways, Rogue felt like a newborn. She had the knowledge and memories of several different people, but no real preferences or opinions of her own. Right now, if someone asked her something as simple as what her favorite color was, she wouldn't have been able to answer.

Not only did she have her own confusion to deal with, though, she'd dragged her loved ones down with her. St. John, Logan, and especially Jubilee. She just had to be ok. If anything was seriously wrong with her, if she'd never be the same again,...

Rogue felt anguish rising within her and transforming into rage. She punched her hands into the branch she sat on and the trunk she leaned against in impotent anger. Jubes shouldn't have to suffer like this. She shouldn't have to pay such a steep price for their friendship. As she punched, kicked and hit the tree, small cuts and abrasions appeared on her knuckles and healed just as quickly as the bit of Logan's and Sabretooth's healing factors she'd incorporated into herself took effect.

When she finally stopped, there were several large dents and splinters in the wood where her strength had damaged it. The branch itself shuddered under her, threatening to break off. Less than a minute later, it did, plunging to the forest floor far below. Rogue stayed where she was, floating where the branch had been, staring at her bloodied but healed hands and the damaged trunk.

She had a healing factor. She could heal and could control her absorbing touch. Was it possible? Could she...

Rogue flew back to the mansion and hurried to the lower levels, thankfully not running into anyone on the way. Jubilee lay exactly as she'd been an hour before, only this time, Rogue didn't remain at the window. She walked through the doors and into the ICU room.

Gently picking up Jubilee's limp arm in her bare hand, she whispered, "Hey, Jubes. I'm gonna try something and I think it might work. All you have to do is take what I give you, ok? Just... just try."

Closing her eyes, breathing deeply and evenly, Rogue focused inward. She concentrated on the healing agents running through her veins, the transference power tingling along every inch of her skin. When she felt ready, she acted. Using her control, she tried to reverse the pull of her skin and push Jubilee into healing.
This story archived at http://wolverineandrogue.com/wrfa/viewstory.php?sid=2503