Gravedigger by Alee
Summary: "He had lived through it all it seemed."
Categories: X2 Characters: None
Genres: General
Tags: None
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 337 Read: 1339 Published: 08/21/2003 Updated: 08/21/2003

1. Chapter 1 by Alee

Chapter 1 by Alee
Author's Notes:
This is mainly a Logan fic with Rogue appearing at the end. Please excuse the lack of L/R. :)
His steps were slow, purposeful, as he wove in between the head stones. He looked at each one as they brought to mind faces, fond memories. He had known these people, laughed with them, cried with them, and fought beside many of them. As they slowly grew old and died, he lived. He had lived through it all it seemed. One should only have to live through so many disasters and wars. He had filled his share many years ago.

At one time, he was naive enough to believe that one day, he would die, that he would finally get his eternal rest. The rest he so longed for. The rest he deserved. But his naive days were over. He had grown resentful as his lovers died, leaving him alone, and healthy.

One headstone seemed to catch his eye as he stopped and knelt to the ground. He brushed away the ivy and moss gently so he could read it. His fingers traced the worn etching, letting his hand follow the stone to the ground when the name had ended. He sat motionless, concentrating on controlling the tears that were trying to come to his eyes.

He looked around the graveyard, taking in the bright flowers, mourning family members and playing children. With a sigh, he continued his walk. At the far end of the graveyard he saw a gravedigger taking a break from his work. He approached him and asked if he could dig for a while. The gravedigger, surprised as he was, agreed and handed him the shovel.

Logan dropped into the grave and began to dig. In the grave it was moist, peaceful, calming. He relaxed as he dug for a few minutes before he realized that he shouldn't keep her waiting. He climbed out of the grave and thanked the gravedigger.

When he reached the front gate, she was leaning against the stonewall, staring up at the clouds. She heard his footsteps and turned. "All done?"

He nodded and smiled. "Just saying goodbye."
This story archived at http://wolverineandrogue.com/wrfa/viewstory.php?sid=248