Holy by Alana
Summary: Sometimes, no matter how hard you try, you cannot prevent the one thing you swore you would.
Categories: X2 Characters: None
Genres: Angst
Tags: None
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 749 Read: 1935 Published: 09/28/2004 Updated: 09/28/2004

1. Chapter 1 by Alana

Chapter 1 by Alana
Logan watched Marie sit quietly in a dark room as she stared out a nearby window. She lacked the fidgety movements so typically found in a woman her age. The quick, light hearted conversations with the other young women at the mansion had been missing for quite sometime. They had been replaced by the solemn silence that comes when someone or something very cherished is lost.

It was becoming more difficult to remember the days when Marie would walk outside in the sun. Her hair glowing with the light, forming what Logan always thought of as a halo. It was ridiculous, he knew. This was a girl who had seen into his tortured mind and the maniacal head of Magneto. Yet through all those trials she remained who she was. The trauma of those events only showing to those who looked into her eyes and saw the age that should only be evident after numerous decades.

Sometimes, no matter how hard you try, you cannot prevent the one thing you swore you would. In Logan's case, it was saving Marie from events she should never have to suffer.

There was a new voice in Marie's head. One that could be silenced, much like the others, but only through intense concentration and meditation. Carol Danvers was both a blessing and a curse, it would seem.

Receiving the ability to fly and having superhuman strength took some work to harness. Being plagued by the memories of a woman she never knew was burden many thought Marie would be unable to bear.

The innocence of a bright young woman was gone. Logan could only imagine what she was going through, and if he could take it all into himself he would. Many residents of the mansion once again feared the mutant they knew as Rogue. After all, how safe can it be to live with a woman who could take everything from you. Not just your life, but your powers, memories, and personality.

Logan cursed them all for fools. They would never understand what it was like to be eternally lonely or locked within yourself.

They don't see the look on her face when she is around others. Searching for a familiarity that seems so far out of reach.

Walking across the room, Logan draws Marie's attention. A small smile pulls at the corner of her mouth. There were still some familiar things in the world, and they had to be held on to for dear life.

"What are you doin' up so late, darlin?" Logan asked.

"Can't sleep, sugar. You know how it is." Marie turned her attention back to the inky blackness seen out the window. Logan looked down at her small form and spoke again.

"Stand up."

A questioning glace was shot his way.

"Just do it."

Marie stood and Logan moved to take her seat. Grabbing her hand, Logan pulled Marie into his lap. At first there was a rigidness to her back, but slowly Marie relaxed and leaned into the warmth pressed against her back and side.

It always amazed Logan how well Marie fit into him. The top of her head sliding so effortlessly into the space between his neck and shoulder. It was perfect.

After several moments Logan looked upon Marie's face and was dismayed to see tears coursing down her cheeks.

"What is it, babe?" Logan said softly.

"You're the only one who treats me the same as you always did, you know,." Marie said, her voice thick with emotion.

She heard him take a deep breath and exhale. "Yeah, baby. I know."

"Would you do something for me?" For such a strong woman, her voice was so quiet only the man holding her at the moment could have heard her question.

"Anything."

"Take me away. Take me somewhere only you can find me. If someone does find us, take me farther." A small sob shook her body, but she continued. "I can't take it anymore."

Wrapping his arms around her and kissing the head so near his mouth Logan whispered, "Get your stuff. We'll leave now."

Nine days later they were deep in the Canadian province of Yukon in a cabin only they knew existed. Far removed from the accusing eyes of those might never understand.

True to Marie's request, Logan had taken her away.

True to a promise he made to himself, he held her close to him. He held her as though she was all that was holy in this world.
This story archived at http://wolverineandrogue.com/wrfa/viewstory.php?sid=244