Secrets, Shockers, and Escape by Shadowlady
Summary: Rogue's been testing her skills, and makes a few startling discoveries that lead to unexpected endings.
Categories: AU Characters: None
Genres: Drama, Shipper
Tags: None
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 2867 Read: 4865 Published: 01/21/2008 Updated: 01/21/2008

1. Secrets, Shockers, and Escape by Shadowlady

Secrets, Shockers, and Escape by Shadowlady
Author's Notes:
I have no idea where this came from. I was listening to the radio yesterday and the idea popped into my head and wouldn't leave me alone until I'd written it.

Feedback is as always appreciated
Sitting on the hard wooden chair of the small, sidewalk café Rogue watched the pedestrians carefully. Lord knew if anyone at the mansion suspected anything they’d have a fit, probably call in Logan to talk some sense into her but she didn’t care. Crossing her legs she settled back with her steaming cup of coffee and waited.

With a secretive, hidden smile as the pretty, petite blonde woman with a tow-headed little boy appeared; Rogue admitted it was worth it. Two whole months of waiting, watching every day and it never got boring. It was the ultimate game of cat and mouse, a test of her skills, skills that she’d stolen from Logan, from Magneto, skills that helped her track her pray.

She watched the boy carefully as they walked past, catching his eye and smiling warmly. The flash of gold in his eyes and a flash of enlarged canines drew a soft laugh from her. The first time she’d seen them she’d thought for sure that the boy was Logan’s, the very thought enough to rip her heart out. It wasn’t until she really looked at the boy that it had clicked.

Shaggy blonde hair, golden cat-like eyes, and tiny claws upon his fingers, if he ever grew into his feet he’d be a big man. Bigger than Logan by at least two feet, and he already outweighed most of the kids on the playground, even though he didn’t look pudgy. She’d seen his reaction times as well, quick, ruthless, a true predator in the making.

With a sigh she tossed a couple of bills on the table and rose to follow the young woman. Keeping a respectable distance behind them, Rogue took note of the houses, the lawns as they entered a residential area. She stopped next to a light post and watched the mother and child enter a well maintained white and green rancher style house.

“No time like the present.” She muttered and crossed the street. What was the worse that could happen? The woman slam the door in her face? She called the cops? No one would look at her and see a threat, no one would know her dirty little secret…the secret that could either make her future or destroy it.

With a quick, confident knock she glanced around. Toys lay scattered on the deep, freshly mowed lawn. A swing set rested in the morning air, a heavy covering of dew upon it and a black Chevy pick-up sat in the open garage.

“Can I help you?”

Rogue turned to stare at the woman, a look of confused uncertainty on her face. “You don’t know me, but my name…”

“I’m not interested lady in whatever you’re selling. Excuse me…”

“No! Wait, I’m not selling anything.” Rogue sighed, her head tilting slightly. “Just answer one question for me and I’ll leave.”

Indecision warred with curiosity on the woman’s face before she opened the door and stepped back. “One question.”

Rogue stepped through the doorway and followed the woman back to the kitchen. Settling at the table she glanced around. It looked like a normal kitchen, clean, tidy, the appliances shining brightly, an empty cereal bowl in the sink, a half brewed pot of coffee perking away on the counter.

“What’s the question?”

“Do you love him?”

“What?” The woman looked shocked at the question.

“His father?” Rogue gestured to the little boy playing in the back yard. “Do you love him?”

“What does my feelings for my husband have to do with anything?”

Rogue sighed and glanced down at her glove covered hands. “Perhaps I should start at the beginning.” Taking a deep breath she looked steadily at the woman, “My name is Rogue and I live at the Xavier School for the Gifted. I ran away from home when I was sixteen, saw a lot of disgusting crap on the road but then I met Logan. He gave me a ride, offered me more than I’d ever imagined a stranger could. Saved me from Magneto, from Sabertooth and that bitch Mystique.”

“The statue…” The woman sank into a chair and stared at Rogue. “He had nightmares about it for a week. Wouldn’t even sleep in the same bed as me.”

“Do you love him? Do you know him?”

“Victor is a man not many could appreciate. I know his boss sees him as some dangerous animal and he can be but there’s so much more to him. Why do you care? Why would you want to know…?”

“Because, I love Logan. I see more in him than anyone else and I’m terrified.”

“Of what?”

“That people will judge him for my mistake.” Rogue whispered tightly.

“Tell me about it?”

“They don’t know about us; don’t know that I can touch him without killing him. If they knew we were lovers, they’d throw him out on his ear. Logan doesn’t want to leave because of me, I don’t want to leave because I know what it means to Logan to have the stability of the mansion.” Rogue started. “He left a couple of weeks ago to go on some errand for Charles and I’m absolutely terrified that when he comes home he’s not going to want to stay.”

“Why?” She jumped at the casual, comforting weight of the other woman’s hand on hers. “Why are you so terrified?”

“I’m pregnant.” Rogue whispered. “And when the others find out they’ll judge Logan, accuse him of being an animal, of being feral and cruel and…”

“Oh God, not another one.” Leaning forward she stared at Rogue. “Let me tell you something, and you listen to me. What they see in him isn’t the truth. I was nineteen when I met Victor. He was out prowling through the alleys and bars looking for a fight or a fuck. I was running from my failures. When he saw me he did what he normally does, pounced. Became the wild, feral, disgusting monster that everyone sees. Only I didn’t do what he thought I should. Didn’t scream, didn’t struggle, just lay there and stared at him. It threw him, and boy did he resent that. Growled and snarled and threatened me. Said he wanted me to scream, I just smiled at him and told him point blank out. Do what you want with me, rape me if you want to…please kill me though.”

Rogue frowned at her words. “Obviously he didn’t kill you.”

“No, stared at me for a moment then tossed me aside and started for the shadows. I followed him. Best decision I ever made, I begged him to kill me. Begged him to make it all go away…I don’t know, he looked at me for a moment then dragged me off to his lair. I stayed there for a week with him pacing and staring at me. Never felt a bolt of fear, he did. I could see it clearly in his eyes. Every time he roared or acted like he thought I expected I just looked at him. See I wanted death, I wanted the oblivion of it…somehow he figured that out. And when he did, I saw past the façade that everyone saw. I saw the man no one ever got close to, no one ever saw. Oh I know that telepaths have tried reading him and he’s good at blocking their efforts to see who he really is.”

“He’s not an animal. He can be, if he has to protect those that he wants to save, those that he cares about he can destroy and kill without compunction but he’s not a monster.” Rogue whispered softly. “He’s been screwed over so much that he doesn’t want to be hurt anymore so he reacts in a way that keeps him safe.”

“Exactly. I don’t know Logan, never met the man but if he’s anything like Victor then I can see what you’d love about him. He’ll keep you safe when everyone else has forgotten about you.”

Rogue nodded. “Thank you. I’ve taken up enough…”

“Sit down Rogue. Have a cup of coffee, and relax.” A cup appeared before her filled with rich, dark coffee that tickled her nose. “You see I understand completely, when I discovered I was pregnant with Logan, our son, I was horrified and terrified. I thought for sure, Victor would leave me.”

“Where is he? If he comes home and I’m here…”

“He’ll be shocked, maybe a little angry but I’ll handle him. I’m Rosa by the way.”

“Nice to meet you.”

“Now, tell me, are you hoping for a boy or a girl?”

Rogue chuckled and rested a hand over her still flat abdomen. “Well honestly, I’d love a boy. A perfect replica of Logan. Isn’t it funny that your son is named Logan?”

“He’s named after an old comrade in arms of Victors.” Rosa admitted softly, her blue eyes resting lovingly on her son. “Have you been shopping yet for baby stuff? I have lots.”

Laughing together the two women watched the little boy playing with his trucks through the patio doors.



Exhaling shakily, Rogue turned the car off and rested her forehead on the steering wheel. “What do I do now?” She muttered before opening the door and heading for the room she occupied. Ignoring the chattering of other students and the hustle of bodies as they moved between classes, Rogue closed herself in her room and sank down onto the edge of the bed.

She glanced over at the top drawer of her dresser. The truth lay within it, something that would either kill her or save her. Reaching for it she opened the drawer and pulled out the slim, blue and white stick and stared down at it.

Slow, steady a warm smile crossed her face as she stared at the little plus sign in the window. “No matter what, I can do this.” She whispered, she had an ally, a friend who was willing to let her cry on her shoulder. A friend who should have been an enemy, an ally that no one would ever believe could be.

“Hey kid, you decent?” Logan’s voice had her glancing up sharply and she dived for the drawer as the door opened.

Pasting a smile on her face she stared at him as he entered the room and closed the door. “Hey, sugah, you’re back!”

“Got in half an hour ago.” Logan leaned on the door and studied her carefully.

Rogue swallowed painfully as he pushed away from the door and walked toward her. They both knew that if anyone caught them together there would be hell to pay, but Logan didn’t seem to mind. She slammed a hand on the drawer when he reached for it…”Logan, I uh…”

“SHhh.” Lifting her hand away gently he opened the drawer and pulled out the pregnancy test. Rogue couldn’t look away from his face as he glanced at it before tossing it into the garbage.

“I’m sorry,” Rogue whispered. “I know you said you didn’t…”

“Tell me why I smell Creed on you.”

Rogue jumped and looked at the floor. “I went to see his wife today.”

Logan nodded and knelt before her, “You know they won’t let you keep it, don’t you.”

Rogue glared at him, shock tearing through her at the thought. “It’s not their decision…”

Logan shook his head, holding her hands tightly. “They think it is. Jean suspects something is off with you and if she thinks it’s a pregnancy she’ll try to convince you how dangerous it is…”

“Logan, what’s going on? Why aren’t you furious I went to see Mrs. Creed? Why are you so worried about what Jean’s going to do?” Rogue whispered desperately. “I want this baby, I didn’t mean to get pregnant but I’m not going to give it up or kill it or…”

“Shh. I know.” Logan shifted a brief look of unease crossing his face. “Creed knows you were at his house, knows about your stalking is wife.”

“He’s coming isn’t he?” Rogue gasped. “Oh God, I’ve put the entire mansion at risk…”

“No. But he knows what’s going to happen same as I do. We can’t stay here any longer Rogue. We can’t be what they expect us to be. I can’t do halfway anymore. Its all or nothing and its up to you to make that choice.”

“All or nothing?” Rogue rose to pace furiously. “What the hell does that mean?”

“Me or them.” Logan gestured to the door. “You know how I feel about you; you know what I’m willing to risk to keep you safe. You have to make that choice, me or them. We can’t have what we want here…”

“How does Victor Creed enter into this?” Rogue whispered. “How could you possibly know what he knows?”

Logan shrugged. “I spoke to him.” He raised a hand at her indrawn breathe. “I said spoke, we weren’t fighting. There’s too much history between us for us to be blind.”

“It was a set-up.” Rogue whispered, her mind racing, unable to process what Logan was saying.

“No. Marie you can’t have two ferals in the same pack without a bit of conflict. Vic and I’ll scrap from time to time that’s just the way of alpha males in a pack. It’s up to you to decide if you can live with that. If anything every happened to one of us, it’s up to the other one to protect the ones left behind.”

Rogue stared at him. “What do you mean?”

“Let’s just say neither of us is overly loyal to our employers. Vic’s priority is his wife and son, mine is you and our baby. Chose Marie.”

Rogue swallowed painfully, “Just so I’m clear on this. You’re telling me that you and Vic can be civilized to each other, can avoid killing each other or hurting the other ones woman. You’re willing to fight with him for us, against all takers? Logan I saw you and Sabertooth at the last battle…”

Logan grunted. “Can’t have the boss knowing that they ain’t that high on our list of priorities. Besides we both heal, what’s a few sparring matches between friends.”

“I’m losing my mind.” Rogue whispered. “And you think I would choose something other than you? It’s always been you, Logan. From day one, it’s been you.”

With a half-assed cocky smirk Logan nodded, “Be ready to leave in half an hour. Jean wants you down in the med-lab for some tests in an hour.”

Rogue stared at the door for a few moments after Logan left in shock. Glancing once at the clock she whirled around and grabbed for her old duffel bag. Filling it with the things she’d need and those that Logan had provided her, she was ready in twenty minutes. Hefting the bag over a shoulder she grabbed her purse, keys and headed for the garage. Shaking her head she grinned as she stepped through the doorway, Logan sat on the hood of the battered Chevy that he’d brought home before he’d left the last time. Tossing her bag into the back of the cab she stared at him for a moment, “Where to, boss man?”

“North.” Logan jumped off the hood and walked over to her. “We’ve got a sanctuary set up for us. Won’t say much more than that until we’re long gone but trust me. We’ll be okay.”

Rogue nodded and let him lift her into the cab of the truck. She held her tongue until he’d started the engine and they were halfway down the driveway, “You promise?”

Logan glanced at her before shrugging. “I promise.”

Rogue recognized the black truck parked a few hundred yards up the road and glanced sharply at Logan. “They coming now?”

“Pack mentality.” Logan explained. “Entire pack moves at the same time. Besides, we’d be hard pressed to be in two places at once.”

Leaning back in her seat, Rogue closed her eyes. Somehow she just knew that they’d be okay. It was a shock to learn that a hated enemy wasn’t really an enemy, but she figured she had an entire lifetime to learn about the way this ‘pack’ worked.

“How long have we got Logan?” She whispered sleepily.

“We?”

“Rosa and I. How long do we have…?”

Logan glanced at her with a grin. “A very long time.”

“Good. The longer the better.” Rogue mumbled as she slid into a deep sleep, the strain of keeping her secret fading into oblivion.
This story archived at http://wolverineandrogue.com/wrfa/viewstory.php?sid=2399