Friend Or Foe by aranenumenesse
Summary: Who is your ally?
Categories: AU Characters: None
Genres: Angst, Drama, Shipper
Tags: None
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: The Kingdom
Chapters: 8 Completed: Yes Word count: 4968 Read: 37614 Published: 12/12/2007 Updated: 12/12/2007

1. Chapter 1 by aranenumenesse

2. Chapter 2 by aranenumenesse

3. Chapter 3 by aranenumenesse

4. Chapter 4 by aranenumenesse

5. Chapter 5 by aranenumenesse

6. Chapter 6 by aranenumenesse

7. Chapter 7 by aranenumenesse

8. Chapter 8 by aranenumenesse

Chapter 1 by aranenumenesse
Author's Notes:
It has taken quite some time. Apologies for the long wait, I hope this makes it up. Second part in an not even near finished story.
Aside from the fact that she was missing Logan she had been quite satisfied for her new life. She had had her own estate. She had had her personal cook. She had had three maids. She even had had a gardener. And ten most reliable guards her father had picked to escort her at that fateful night.

And now she had nothing. Nothing but the cold cellar she spent her days in, and the rubble of the mansion she had lived in. And all the small animals she managed to catch and wild herbs as her nourishment.

At first it had been like a fairytale. She had been making it up as the days went by. She was a princess, held in prisoner for one reason or another, and she was just waiting for her knight in shining armor to ride in and rescue her. Of course it had been basically true.

But the knight never came. The cook, maids and the gardener fled after first two weeks when rumors about the war reached their little haven. Then guards got called back. Then came the rebels, burning and looting, and she had fled underground, to the vast tunnels expanding so far from the main building that it was actually easy to get lost in there.

She had gotten lost, several times. That was how she had learned how to catch mice and light a fire by hitting rocks together. And how certain dry branches burnt longer than others. And how certain type of moss tasted actually good with mouse meat. And how easily one could wake up to her own screams and sobs if one didn’t choose her resting place well enough. Always some small nook or cranny, never a spacious cavern where the sound of her voice would echo long moments after it had left her mouth. And she had learned about the differences between pure water, and water that would make her sick if she took even one sip from it.

She was actually quite proud of everything she had learned. It almost felt like she had always known what to do in a situation like this. Like everything she needed just fell on her when she needed it. Like lighting the fire, for example. She had been cold and hungry. She had managed to capture a mouse, and she was almost ready to eat it raw. She had already been raising the squeaking and squirming animal towards her lips when her eyes had landed on to something white on the floor of the cavern. A stone. And not just any kind of stone. She just knew that she should find another stone, slightly different, and make a good pile of dry branches and she could get her meal cooked once she got decent amount of sparks beaten out of the stones. Just like she had known that the best way to skin the mouse had been to peel off the pelt from tail towards its whiskered snout.

She had her suspicions of where the knowledge came from, but she tried not to think about it. Tried not to think about him. Tried not to think about Logan. He was probably dead. Or just plain hated her for some reason. For surely he would have come and get her otherwise as soon as the guards left her to her own devices?

She sighed and wrapped the shawl tighter around her shoulders. The sun would set soon. She could go out. She’d have to remember to take a basket with her. Last night she had managed to stumble upon a patch that grew blueberries. All those fresh and sweet berries just waiting for to be picked up and eaten. She’d need the vitamins. Anything and everything she could find she should drag in to the tunnels with her. Berries. Fresh meat. Fish, if she managed to capture any from the decorative pond that still stood in front of the ruins of the mansion. Dry wood. Hay. Herbs. Seeds. Grain. Grain would be important once it ripened. There was a small field behind the mansion that rebels hadn’t burnt for some reason.

Approaching winter would be long and cold.
Chapter 2 by aranenumenesse
As she crept silently through the dark forest, her eyes cast to the ground to avoid stepping on to the berries she was gathering she couldn’t help thinking how nice it would be to have some company. Even a droid would do. Week after week in solitude, fearing for her life and making plan after another how to survive through yet another week made her jittery and jumpy. Every shadow, every snap and crackle made her flinch and seek cover. She hated feeling this weak and small. She hated being cold and dirty. She hated the fact that she couldn’t eat enough to satisfy her hunger because most of the food she managed to found she had to preserve for the future. For the future she wasn’t all so sure that she would even see.

She had stumbled upon a virtual goldmine. A small kitchen garden. Carrots and potatoes were just waiting for to be picked up. She was covered in dirt and huffing and puffing from the exertion, dragging a basket filled with her loot towards the hidden entrance of her sanctuary when it happened. A horse whinnied somewhere close by. Her footing slipped and she fell on her hands and knees, basket spilling over and all the potatoes and carrots went flying to every possible direction.

Her first reaction was to scramble after the vegetables before reason made her scurry fast to safety, hiding behind a pile of rubble.

The horse was getting closer. She tried to squeeze herself as small and unnoticeable as possible, her face practically buried to the dirt beneath her. As soon as she felt first little pebbles raining over her she knew it had been futile.

She raised her gaze from the ground slowly. Huge hooves, lightly covered with long, white hair. Strong legs, equally white. Wide chest and strong neck. Huge face with equally huge, brown and curious eyes that were slightly obscured with white mane. Horse huffed and shook it’s head, nostrils flaring. Her eyes traveled even higher and finally she was able to see the rider. He looked as perplexed as she felt. For a long moment they just stared at each other.

“Rogue?”
“Scott?”
Chapter 3 by aranenumenesse
“Father sent everybody away as soon as it became clear that we wouldn’t be able to defend the castle.”
“Defend the castle… It’s true? We are at war?” She asked, wiping her hands to the hem of her cloak. Scott harrumphed and threw a potato to her basket, reaching for a carrot before his horse managed to munch it away.
“Not anymore. Drakes took us by surprise. Kingdom doesn’t exist anymore. Robert’s father made this land part of his empire. At first we tried… When I still had the army we tried to fight back.”
“Still had the army? What happened to it?”
“Robert’s father, Gregory brought a witch with him. A sorceress. Calls herself Dark Phoenix. She eradicated our forces. If father hadn’t called me back from the front I’d be dead as well.”

They collected rest of the vegetables and then just sat in silence for a moment.

“I never believed that you were dead,” Scott finally said.
“What gave me away?”
“Wolverine. He disappeared the same night you left. I thought he left with you. Where is he?” Scott asked.
“I don’t know. I haven’t seen him after that day. I…” Suddenly it took all her strength not to cry. Scott squeezed her shoulder reassuringly.
“I’m sure he’s alright. If there’s something he’s good at, it’s this. War. He’s a soldier, Rogue. He knows how to take care of himself.”

Scott’s sudden kindness was too much for her to bear. It was impossible to keep the tears at bay any longer. She grasped Scott’s shoulder and cried, wishing and hoping against hope that instead of Scott she could have smelled familiar scent of metal and leather.

“What are we going to do now?” She asked when she was able to speak again. Scott shook his head.
“I don’t know. Father told me that I should try to contact the rebels. To ask help from them. I don’t think it’s a good idea. For all we know, they might be in allegiance with Gregory.”
“Are we just going to sit back and let Drakes take our land?” She asked mortified. Scott nodded.
“For now. Until I can find reliable enough allies we have no other options.”
“But what about father, couldn’t he do something to Dark Phoenix?” She asked. Scott frowned.
“Rogue…”
“Is he alright?”
“He’s alright. I think. They took him as a hostage. Dark Phoenix was too strong for him.”
“What are you doing here, then! Shouldn’t we go and try to set him free?”
“No. He told me to hide and find allies. They won’t harm him as long as he’s useful.”
“Useful? Scott, he’s our father!”
“He’s our father, but as long as people see him as the legal ruler of this land Gregory can use him as a puppet, rule through him. And we will let him do that until we can find strong enough people to wipe out Dark Phoenix and Drakes!”
Chapter 4 by aranenumenesse
She shoved the basket with potatoes and carrots to a chamber where they would stay nice a cool, bitter rage churning inside of her. She knew that Scott was right. As much as she wanted to storm to the castle and free her father, free this land, it was impossible. If this dark Phoenix was as powerful as Scott claimed, able to wipe down a whole army with one blow… What on earth could a simple girl do?

“Rogue?”
“Yes?”
“Are you… Are you absolutely sure that you don’t know where Wolverine is?”

She whirled around on her heels, urge to slap Scott rising.

“Do you think I would be here, barely making by if I knew where he was?” She hissed. Scott glanced towards the ground and swallowed.
“Probably not. I just thought… Since you’re so close with him and…”
“Close? I thought I was. But staying here has certainly cured me from that delusion. If he cared about me at all, he wouldn’t have left me here alone. He would have come to get me. He would have made sure that I was somewhere safe, not freezing my ass off and scraping bits and pieces just to stay alive for yet another day!”
“Yes. Yes, I’m sure you’re right… But I need to find him. I could really use his skills and…”
“So now he’s good enough for you? You hypocrite sonofabitch!” Her hand rose, but before her palm connected with Scott’s cheek Scott grabbed her wrist and gave her a sharp tug, sending her on her hands and knees to the ground.
“I never said that he wasn’t good! I just didn’t think that your relationship with him was appropriate seeing that you were about to be united with Robert! And for what it’s worth now, it wouldn’t have mattered to me even if you had your ceremony with Wolverine instead of Robert. I never liked Drakes.”

With that said Scott marched out. She stayed on the floor of the cavern, trying to comprehend what her brother had just confessed. And how carelessly he had acted, grabbing her like there was no danger at all. If her wrist hadn’t been covered with the sleeve of her tattered tunic… She shivered. Then pushed away the growing terror and uneasiness. Now wasn’t the time to act like a spoiled brat. If she fell apart now, nobody would pick up the pieces. Nobody but herself.

She shook her head and stood up, straightened her stance and marched after Scott. In the end they both had the same goal. To survive. Scott was holding the reigns of the horse, one hand braced over the saddle.
“Wait.” Upon hearing her voice he turned to face her.
“I’m… I’m sorry about my outburst,” she stuttered. Scott nodded and looked at her expectantly.
“I think you’re right. We should do what father asked you to do. We should start seeking allies.” That came out more firmly, and she raised her chin a bit higher.
“And we should try and see if we can find Wolverine. We might need his help if we wish to get rid of the Dark Phoenix.”
“Grab what you need. But pack lightly. We need to travel fast,” Scott said.
Chapter 5 by aranenumenesse
Horse was straining and panting under her. She wasn’t used to this kind of speed, but Scott tried to make it easier for her, telling her how to sit and where to hold on. Trees practically flew past her, and she had to close her eyes. She tried not to imagine what would happen if they hit a low branch at this speed. Yet she could see it clearly. Horse whinnying, Scott falling backwards, his skull split open… She clutched his waist harder and buried her face against his back. Scott wouldn’t let that happen. He was an arrogant bastard, but this wasn’t anything new for him. He knew what he was doing.

“We’re getting closer,” she heard Scott shouting over the wind. She could feel the horse slowing down.
“Closer to what?” She asked.
“Few farmers stayed loyal to the throne. They’re hiding in those caves with what’s left of father’s troops. We’ll start from there,” Scott explained and the horse stopped. She raised her gaze. Right in front of her opened a dark mouth of a cave. It looked somehow familiar. She could smell sulphur. Ashes. And it clicked.
“They’re in there?” She asked. Scott nodded and stepped down from the saddle.
“It’s the last place Drake’s will look for them,” he said, offering his hand to support her when she half fell, half slid down from the saddle.
“Drake’s are not stupid. Is… How… It’s not safe to go in there.”
“It’s safer than fell in to the hands of Drakes and Dark Phoenix. Cerberus… It has been quiet for years. And father believes it was buried behind a rockslide few years back. We should get in before anybody sees us.”

Cerberus. Nobody knew what twisted force had created it. Humungous beast with three heads, able to withstand the heat that lava flowing deep inside of the earth created. And immensely possessive of its territory.

“Come on. It’s warm in there.”
“Father always told us to stay clear from this place. I used to have nightmares of it…” She couldn’t stop the trembling that started when Scott urged her to follow him.
“I’ll look after you. I won’t let that ugly beast get his paws on you,” Scott murmured, grabbing her wrist.
“You promise?” She asked. Scott nodded. In the past her brother had been an annoyance. Once she had even plotted his assassination. Only formed a plan, fully intending to make it happen when it all got too much and she couldn’t bear to see his obnoxious grin or hear his snide remarks anymore. But now there was no arrogance on his face or in his voice. Scott was being completely serious and honest.

She fixed her gaze to the mouth of inferno and raised her head. Followed Scott in to the darkness.
Chapter 6 by aranenumenesse
Cavern was narrow at first, but started to widen and branching to different sections. Some of them had been blocked by rockslides for long ago; she could even distinguish skilled masonry in front of few of them, solid proof that the threat of the Cerberus had been taken seriously even though the beast in question remained hidden. The air was practically glowing. Greenish light came from the walls where some sort of fungus resided. It was dry and warm, much different than she would have expected.

“I have been in here only once before, but don’t worry. I remember the right route,” Scott said.
“You brought them here.”
“I brought what was left of my troops after the battle. When we came, farmers were already moving in, barricading extra corridors and entrances and gathering supplies.”
“Why? Why here?” She asked.
“I… I’m not going to lie to you, Rogue. I came here to get help.”
“But how did you knew about the farmers?”
“I didn’t. I came to look for the Cerberus.”
“Cerberus? What’s wrong with you, Scott? That thing is a monster!”
“Calm down. I was going to find it, then see if I could tame it. If it were even as half as fierce as the legends tell, it would be a mighty ally. But farmers confirmed what father already suspected. It’s disappeared. Probably gone for good.”
“That’s good. I know you Scott. You’re not stupid. But you’re stubborn. You would have wasted your life if you thought that there was even a slightest chance of taming the Cerberus.”

Scott huffed and stopped, turning to look at her.
“We’re in a situation where we need any help we can get. We can’t afford to shy away from possible resources just because obtaining them might be dangerous. And more powerful allies we find, the better army we can construct and the better chances we have to throw Drakes and Dark Phoenix out.”
“I understand it. But what’s the price you’re willing to pay for that army? And won’t we need all the loyal men we can find to fight drake’s army? We hardly can afford to feed them to some mystical creature…”
“I already said that I wasn’t going to keep chasing Cerberus!”
“Only because it’s gone.”
“And does it really matter why I quit hunting it?”
“Probably not.”
“Good. Come on. I’m sure people already heard our little scuffle. There should be a welcoming party waiting for us behind the next corner. Don’t scream.”

She couldn’t have screamed even if she wanted. There was a group of men waiting, armed with long metal prods. Something was writhing on the floor, bound by heavy chain, snarling and growling, straining against the chain, trying to break loose.
“Scott! Like our new watch-dog?” One of the men asked, yanking the chain and sending the beast tumbling on its back. Green light revealed very human features, distorted from rage.
“Logan…” She whispered, stepping forward. The man she had once known as her protector scooted on his hands and knees and leaped towards her, claws oozing from his clenched fists, aimed at her. At the last possible moment he came to the end of the chain and fell on to the floor again, his claws striking sparks from the stone, metal gleaming wetly in the sickly green light.
Chapter 7 by aranenumenesse
“We found him when we were exploring the caves. Lost three men before we managed to bring him down. If that wall hadn’t collapsed straight upon him, I’m sure we wouldn’t be talking right now…”

She shut off the voices of the men that were sitting around the campfire in the large cave. She couldn’t bear to listen to the gruesome details of how they captured Logan. Logan. What on earth had happened to him?

She crept closer to where he laid on a pile of tattered blankets. He appeared to be sleeping, though his head had bent to odd angle because of the thick iron collar around his neck.
“Rogue? Be careful. He’s… He’s not the man you knew before,” Scott whispered. Without her noticing he had crept closer as well and placed his arm protectively over her hunched shoulders.
“What happened to him?”
“Nobody knows. He just appeared one day and started attacking these men. They had to restrain him. They… They tried killing him first, but since he wouldn’t die they thought they could use him as a guard.”
“Oh, my Goddess…” Her gasp made Logan open his eyes. He laid there unmoving, those hazel orbs taking in her appearance. Focusing on to Scott’s hand on her shoulder. And suddenly his lips curled to a grimace, low murmur rising from deep within his chest as he launched towards them.

This time he kept his claws in check, but his fist connected hard to Scott’s jaw, throwing him backwards and leaving Marie alone, giving Logan an opportunity to grab her wrist and pull her further in to the corner he regarded his territory.

Men all around the cave erupted in to action, baring weapons and rushing to her aid. In the commotion she managed to scramble away from Logan who was guarding his backside jealously, as if she were still there. When he finally realized that she had escaped he retreated back in to the shadows, away from men and their prods.

“I told you to be careful!” Scott shouted, standing up and grabbing her wrist none too gently, evoking surprised squeal from her which in turn made Logan trash against the chain that held him once again, this time claws bared.
“Let go!” Scott dropped her hand, and immediately Logan stopped growling. He held his gaze still on Scott, but started sniffling the air, curious look spreading on his face.

She swallowed and crept slowly closer. She could hear Scott cursing behind her, but to her relief her brother didn’t try to approach her.
“Logan?” She whispered, reaching out her hand. The man chained to the rock wall stretched his neck as if he was trying to get a better whiff from her scent.
“Logan? It’s me… It’s Marie…” She still crept closer. Suddenly Logan started to growl. Low, warning rumble, echoing from his chest. She just barely made it back to safety when he charged forward, his hands grasping the thin air as he tried to reach her.
“You better leave him alone. Let things cool down. We’ll be staying here for few days. You have time…” Scott spoke softly as she returned to the campfire.
“Time for what?”
“Time to see if he really still remembers you. He’s scared right now. But it looks like he knows you. At least on some level.”
“Is that why he tried to claw me?” She asked. Scott snorted.
“He tried to claw me. You… You were on his way. Don’t forget, he pushed you behind him when our men attacked.”

Rest of the night she kept thinking about Scott’s words and watching at Logan, who in turn kept an eye on her, his lips curling to bare his teeth every time somebody passed her too closely.
Chapter 8 by aranenumenesse
At some point during the night she had fallen asleep. She woke up when somebody grabbed her none too gently and she struck out blindly, kicking and scratching. Her assailant was however quite determined, and as soon as she realized exactly who it was she stopped struggling. Logan. Somehow he had gotten loose, and was dragging her out from the main cave. She knew she should have screamed. She should have woken up everybody and they would have forced Logan to let her go. But was it really what she wanted?

She relaxed. Logan swung her over his shoulders like a sack of potatoes and took off, turning to a corridor that seemed to lead deeper in to the darkness. He wasn’t running, but his stride was swift and efficient. She noticed that he avoided stepping on to soft sand and chose his footing so that he would leave as little traces as possible.

He didn’t smell of leather anymore, and the scent of metal she had learned to relate with him was somehow much sharper. She noticed that he had covered his bare torso with remnants of the blankets he had laid on earlier. And he seemed to avoid touching her bare skin with his bare hands. Was it really possible that he remembered her?

“Logan?” She whispered.
“Shut up.” Voice was low, words nearly unrecognizable, but he had spoken. She decided to do as he told her to do and kept her mouth shut even when her mind was a whirlwind of questions. He’d explain later, she was sure of it.

The corridor looked like it would expand endlessly. She had to keep swallowing to prevent her ears from clogging up, and few times Logan stumbled in the darkness, sliding downwards before he managed to find his footing again. Finally however they reached his destination.

It was a small cave. A chamber, in fact. Right in the middle of it was a rift that glowed red light. The whole place was hot as an oven. Logan lowered her carefully on to the ground, guiding her further from the rift and they sat leaning their backs against the wall.

“What is this place? Why did you brought me here?” She asked. Logan picked up a small pebble and threw it in to the rift. Swarm of sparks rose from the red glow.
“This is probably the only truly safe place for you right now. We are going to hide in here until Scott and his raiders are gone.”
“But they need our help!”
“Only one in need of help is the Kingdom.”
“But…”
“Scott and his men are under spell. Dark Phoenix is using them to capture the rest of the free men.”
“You’re wrong!”
“I’m right.”
“How would you even know anything? You disappeared long before the war, you weren’t there when they came for my father and…”
“I was there! I was there and there was nothing I could do to stop them! Your father sent me away when it came apparent that Dark Phoenix would get through his barricades! He sent me away and asked me to salvage what was left and run!”
“But Scott said…”
“Doesn’t matter what he said. He betrayed us. Betrayed you, your father and me.”
“No! That can’t be!”
“It got ugly. I was supposed to fight with Drake. Defend your honor. I… I went to see the blacksmith. He… He did these,” Logan said, releasing his claws once again. She reached with her hand, then at the last possible moment pulled back, unsure. Logan nodded.
“Just be careful. They’re sharp.” He held his hand steady and she let her fingers slide over the dull edge of the metal that now coated the claws.
“He did those. And coated rest of my bones as well. When I was… When I was better, I left. Went to the arena to answer Drake’s challenge. Only he wasn’t there anymore. Robert and his father had left already. Dark Phoenix and her troops were trying to break through your father’s army and fortifications. I guess she had sneaked over our border when your father’s attention was turned to the whole mess between Robert and… You.”
“Oh, my Goddess…”
“I did what I could. In the end when it became clear that there was nothing we could do, no way to stop the sorceress, your father told me to find you and keep you safe. Hide you from the Dark Phoenix, because he needed a strong general to command the resistance after the Phoenix got him and your brother.”

She sat stunned in silence for a while. It was hard to believe a word from what Logan had told her, but he really didn’t have any reason to lie. Or had he?

“How do I know that you told me the truth?” She asked, scooting further from him. Logan shook his head and let his gaze drop on to the ground beneath his bent knees.
“You don’t. But you once trusted me. Can you trust me now?” He asked.
“I don’t know. Can you give me a reason to trust you?” She asked. Logan raised his gaze, his eyes narrowed to tiny slits.
“And what the hell is that supposed to mean?” He asked.
“I waited you. Waited for you to come. Every single day I waited and decided to make by yet another day and night just because tomorrow you might come looking for me. It wasn’t you who came! Scott came and brought me here!” She hissed. Logan snorted, picked up a pebble and threw it to the rift, raising another swarm of sparks and almost translucent flames up in the air.
“Does it matter who brought you here?” He asked with strangely calm voice. Then turned to look at her. Defeat was written all over his demeanor.
“I… I failed your father. I failed Scott. I failed the whole kingdom. But I swore to your father that I wouldn’t fail you. I promised to keep you safe and help you with any way I can. My wow to your parents, your family and to you still stands. I will lay down my life for you rather than see you harmed in any way. But it’s your choice. Go with Scott if you think that I’m a liar.”

It was easy to fell to the old patterns of scavenging dingy caverns for food and water. And now she had companion to help out sniffing out maggots and snails, as well as rats.

Not once in her remembered life had Logan lied to her.
This story archived at http://wolverineandrogue.com/wrfa/viewstory.php?sid=2304