Escapement by Jules
Summary: Rogue runs from the mansion. When Logan finally comes back, nearly a year after he left, he finds that she's gone, and now he might be the only chance of ever finding her.
Categories: X1 Characters: None
Genres: Shipper
Tags: None
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: Being
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 1025 Read: 2794 Published: 12/07/2007 Updated: 12/07/2007

1. Escapement by Jules

Escapement by Jules
She had been patient.

No one could ever say differently.

She'd stayed around for over six months, waiting for him to come back, like he'd promised. Everyone had been real nice to her, but she knew they were still frightened of her. It was the way they always flinched when she touched them with her gloves on, and the way they stayed away from her, not really wanting to be close.

The only exceptions had been Logan and Abby, and they were gone.

So in the dead of night, while everyone else was in the depths of slumber, Marie a.k.a. Rogue packed her bag, slipped on her cloak and gloves then left the mansion.

On her way through the garage, she couldn't help but notice Scott's just completed motorcycle standing there, moreover with the special turbo button. The keys left right in the ignition.

The Logan in her mind couldn't resist. She strapped her bag to the back of the bike, then silently rolled the motorcycle out of the garage, she flew it over the locked fence (a power she'd 'picked up' a few months ago).

Then she used more of Logan's knowledge, and made the machine come to life.

She took one last look behind her, at the cast iron gates which had begun to feel more like a prison than a sanctuary to her, then she road off into the night, destination unknown, to anyone, even herself . . . .


Three months later

Logan pulled up to the mansion which he'd left nearly a year ago, leaving behind a promise to a 'kid', who unknowingly owned his heart as well (and his dog tags).

He turned off the motorcycle, then went to the front doors, before he could even get his hand out, Dr. Jean Grey opened the door, the same smile on her face that typically greeted him.

"Welcome home Logan. The Professor would like to have a discussion with you immediately."

"Right." He wasn't even surprised.

A few moments later Logan was in the office of Professor Charles Xavier.

"Logan, it's wonderful to see you again. Did you find what you were looking for?"

Logan knew the man was just humoring him, and that Xavier already knew the answer, but Logan still answered, "No, it had been completely destroyed. I tried to follow a few leads, but none of them panned out."

"I see. I'm sorry Logan, I know how much uncovering your past means to you."

Logan just brushed it off, then got down to the business he'd been wanting to since he'd started home, "So, how's the Kid? Is she doing alright in school."

"Ah, well, Logan. That is why I wished to see you as soon as you returned. Rogue has run away . . ."

Logan didn't even notice when his claws came out, he roared, "WHAT?! I left her here in your protection. She was supposed to be safe here."

"Logan, if you will please be seated, I will explain."

Logan was seething, but he knew the only way he might find Marie was if he listened to what the poof had to say, so he let the man speak.

"In the time you were away, some very surprising events happen, as well as some normal. You see, we got a new teacher, her name was Abigail Kelsington."

Logan's eyebrow quirked up at the 'was' but he remained silent.

"About six months ago, Sabertooth attacked a van with a group of students on a field trip to the Metropolitan Museum. The driver of the bus was killed instantly. It was Ms. Kelsington's art class. In the group was Rogue. Abby fought him off, but he escaped, unfortunately, he'd struck a fatal blow to her. She forced Rogue to take her powers, and drain her completely. Rogue was withdrawn before and the students were timid of her even prior to the incident. I'm afraid that since then, the students started flinching if she brushed them with her gloved hand. The rest of the faculty and I tried to help her. We allowed her to take your room when she requested it, due to the fact that although she was young in age, her mind was that of a much more mature person as she carries with her the knowledge of all that have experienced her draining."

"Why haven't you tried to find her."

"Oh, we have. But somehow, she's managed to block Cerebro's attempts to find her."

"What kinds of fucking powers did she get." Logan growled.

"Well, her strength is that of more then ten men, and she has the ability to fly. This new mental ability has surprised me. It might actually be a form of her own power. I'm not sure."

"How long ago did she leave."

"Three months ago. During the middle of the night. She stole Scott's new bike, which he'd just completed the month before. Your influence no doubt." The Professor reported smirking.

"Why the fuck didn't you tell me before?" Logan demanded.

"You somehow managed to block my calls. You've placed a barrier around yourself Logan, and it was impossible to penetrate."

Xavier knew exactly what was going on in Logan's head, but didn't say anything. He understood exactly why Logan was going after her, and it wasn't just because he felt the need to protect her.

Before Logan left, Xavier called out, "Keep me updated on the status of your search. We all are very anxious to find out how she is. And inform her that there is always a place for her here, as there is for you."

Logan nodded, then strode out the door.


Scott was looking over his bike, checking for damage, when Logan pushed him out of the way, not even acknowledging Scott's presence. He just started the bike, then rode off back through the gates he'd entered just 30 minutes before.

Scott did not even have a chance to utter anything insulting.

Instead, as he watched the man be carried off on his bike into the distance he said quietly, "Good luck Wolfy, I hope you find her soon and bring her home."
This story archived at http://wolverineandrogue.com/wrfa/viewstory.php?sid=2272