An unlikely Saint by Shadowlady
Summary: The X-Men finally meet up with the LFAA
Categories: AU Characters: None
Genres: Angst, Dark, Drama
Tags: None
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 34 Completed: No Word count: 48403 Read: 203653 Published: 10/25/2007 Updated: 01/28/2008

1. A mistunderstanding by Shadowlady

2. Dealing with the cards by Shadowlady

3. Missed Confrontations by Shadowlady

4. Let her be a kid by Shadowlady

5. Speculations and Doubts by Shadowlady

6. Impatience and Relief by Shadowlady

7. Questions and Answers by Shadowlady

8. Ghosts and Fears by Shadowlady

9. Battered, bruised, but not broken by Shadowlady

10. Acta sanctorum - Deeds of the saints by Shadowlady

11. Understanding the Reckoning by Shadowlady

12. A Deal with the Devil by Shadowlady

13. Of Monsters and Mayhem by Shadowlady

14. Judgment is passed by Shadowlady

15. A Red Dawn by Shadowlady

16. What the hell were you doing? by Shadowlady

17. Discovering the Truth by Shadowlady

18. A chance taken brings it's own rewards by Shadowlady

19. Finding the Faith by Shadowlady

20. Understanding comes painfully slow by Shadowlady

21. A tangle of faith and fortitude by Shadowlady

22. What is this? by Shadowlady

23. veneratio Angelus ut have cado (Honor the Angel’s that have fallen) by Shadowlady

24. Paying for another's Sins by Shadowlady

25. Disgust, prejudice and healing by Shadowlady

26. Replaying Memories by Shadowlady

27. Storm Clouds are brewing by Shadowlady

28. The Key to Hell by Shadowlady

29. Recon Begins by Shadowlady

30. Alliances and Secrets by Shadowlady

31. The Truth about the Night by Shadowlady

32. A broken oath by Shadowlady

33. Full Circle by Shadowlady

34. Awareness Sets In by Shadowlady

A mistunderstanding by Shadowlady
Author's Notes:
After reading an article in my local paper, I started a story a long time ago this is sorta the third of the trilogy.

Deals with mature and dark themes. If you are offended by these please do not read further. Contains references to Pedophilia and the child's sex trade. You have been warned
Dark red nails shone brightly in the fake glow of florescent bulbs as hands calloused by years of work tugged on the thigh high, stiletto heeled boots and laced them tightly. A tug of the hands pulled the belt keeping a pair of dark grey, hand laced leather pants tighter.

“When can I see you again?” Softly spoken, the voice held the hint of a Russian accent and the woman turned to stare at the man currently standing in his jeans and nothing else.

“I told you…” Her voice trembled slightly, desperation and fear coloring it along with a hint of guilt.

“You didn’t betray anyone,” he replied walking over to her and touching her face gently. “I love you, and there isn’t anything wrong with us being together.”

“I can’t be what you want. Don’t you understand? I’m not like the prim, sophisticated girls you know. I work out there.” She gestured to the still darkened streets beyond the window. “I have souls to collect.”

“I know that. I told you before that I’d walk that path with you. I’ve walked with you before; let me have more than just crumbs. Don’t become what you’re trying to run from.”

She licked her lips and raked a hand that trembled through her long, curly blonde hair. “You can’t leave them behind. Do you realize what they’d do to you if they knew about us?”

“They all have lives of their own. I won’t trade them for you. You’re more important to me than just some fly by night, itch to be scratched.”

The sudden ring of the phone drew both their attention and she stalked over to answer it. “LFAA, Angel speaking.”

“Hey boss,” thick, heavy, the masculine voice held a note of steel within it. “Found another one.”

“How old and where?”

“She’s no more’n seven. Just watched her ‘mistress’ bring her in the back door of a local hotel. I managed to find out which floor and what the conditions were. Deke’s up there now.”

“Observing?” She asked as she pushed down on the small red button marked intercom.

“He’s watching to see the room number. Once we’ve got that we can barge in and take ‘em down. You want us to be clean and concise or what?”

Angel turned to her part-time lover, full time muscle man and met his gaze. She smiled sadly, “Still want to have more?”

“Bring him to the warehouse.” Piotr ordered. “The girl can come directly to Angel’s sanctuary.”

“You want we should keep ‘im quiet, Tin-Man?”

“Just don’t kill him.” Piotr replied softly his eyes never leaving Angel’s face. “That’s for those who can handle the blood on their hands.”

“We’ll be there in an hour.”

Angel stared at him hard for a moment even as the buzz of the disconnected line filled the room. Hanging up the receiver slowly, softly she stared into his face. “It won’t get easier. She’s young, innocent looking but she’s far from a child.”

Piotr nodded quickly. He knew what exactly Angel meant, knew beyond a doubt just who was rebuilding their lives behind the walls of this massive building. All he had to do was walk down the corridor to see the battered, scarred faces of young women with aged eyes that held pain, and anger, and hatred.

“This isn’t my first pick up, Angel.”

Shrugging impatiently, Angel grabbed for her bracelet and slid it on. She would need every ounce of control she could muster not to kill the son-of-a-bitch outright. Her shoulders sagged as she stared at the scarred heart charm on her wrist. It didn’t matter how many she struggled to pull back from the brink, there was always another to fall, another willing to corrupt and steal the souls of kids who couldn’t take care of themselves.

“You’re not God,” Piotr rubbed her shoulders gently. “And we’re not some sorta of freaks because we believe. I’m not a fool, I’ve heard the backroom whispers, heard the rumors on the streets. Hell I’ve heard ‘em back at Xavier’s, and they’re as far from this world as you can get. Put a little faith in those of us who walk with you…”

“I haven’t got a clue on how to have faith, Piotr. And even if I did its awful hard to keep it in the world we live in.”

Piotr smiled softly. “For a woman who supposedly doesn’t have faith, you’ve certain done wonders. There are three shelters her in New York alone. More than a hundred and fifty kids under your protect.”

“They’re just souls pulled from the darkness.” She interrupted gently.

“And the volunteers? There are twenty-five men, women, and teens who volunteer to help out with the kitchens, with the laundry, transportation, and fundraising.” Piotr grabbed his shirt. “What about those who’ve never been to a street corner, who have no idea what its like to turn a trick to pay for a fix for their parent? In the six months since we’ve met, I’ve seen you build something more than most people who have had ‘help’ to build in their lifetime.”

“I’ve also had sex with you several times.”

Piotr suddenly knew what the issue was. It wasn’t about faith or trust, it was about a long ago promise that she’d made and now she was swimming in guilt over breaking it. “You didn’t break that vow, Angel. Logan would never expect you to go the rest of your life without intimacy, without a lover.”

“He said no tricks…” She snapped raking a hand through her tangled curls.

“I’m not a trick and you’re not a whore!” Piotr jerked on his jacket and stared at her. “Logan would understand you wanting to be loved. I’m not going to leave you, Angel. And I sure as hell ain’t gonna toss a twenty on the dresser on my way out! If I was like that I’d have taken advantage that first night so long ago. Now, come on, we’ve got a kid to help.”

A stiff nod was the only indication she’d heard him as she grabbed her cloak and pulled it on. There was a monster that had to be banished before life could proceed; still the words he’d said swam in the frenzy of her mind as she hurried down the stairs.


Darkened windows were busted, cracked in many places, and indication of lack of use and a good hiding spot for what the Enforcers wanted. The rough cough of an engine and an older, battered station wagon lumbered to a stop by the doors.

Two large muscular boys stepped out; quick assessing gazes swept the shadows of the alleyways and docks. The driver topped six foot, his shoulders as broad as the door he stood in front of, his face chiseled and hard, a crude, jagged scar married one side.
The passenger was almost as big, a few inches taller perhaps but built like an ox. His arms were huge, well muscled and toned as he jerked open the rear passenger door and dragged out a suit clad man with a bag over his head.

The pair turned toward the doors with their prisoner between them. With each step the disgust and angry rolled off both of them, along with fear and unease from the well dressed man.

A moment later a dark sedan pulled up behind the station wagon and a tall, blonde-haired man stepped out. He circled back to the rear passenger door and pulled it open, standing with a stony expression as he waited for his passengers to step out.

A hooded figure immerged, and they caught a flash of pale skin as he turned and surveyed the area. A moment later with a slight nod at the driver he moved a few steps away and waited while another, tall, dark haired figure stepped out of the car.


“We won’t be long.” Angel nodded at Jack. “Double check with the boys and see of they want you to run transport.”

“Yes, ma’am.” Jack agreed quickly. “And you Mister Bossman?”

“I’m with the lady. Call Dorine though, tell her you got a young one coming in. She’ll get a hold of Doc, we’ll do a run north with this one.”

Jack glanced between the pair, uneasy with the now familiar and too easy way they had of working together, the other finishing thoughts, it was almost like working for one person instead of two. He remembered the first few times he’d seen them together, the stilted way they interacted, as though they didn’t want to acknowledge the attraction that sizzled between them.

“Hey boss.”

Turning in unison, Piotr, Angel, and Jack watched the tall, muscle bound nineteen year old stride toward them. “Bulldog.”

“God something for you.” He moved to the rear of the wagon and opened the back door. With one beefy hand he reached in and drug out a squirming bundle wrapped in a musty, filthy blanket.

“The girl?” Angel couldn’t keep the censure out of her voice.

“No.” He shook his head. “Calls herself ‘mother’. Dropped off the girl, several condoms, and picked up a wad of cash. What do you want I should do with her?” He jerked the blanket away from the woman to reveal a tailored suit and expensive jewelry.

Angel smirked, a cold merciless shifting of muscles. “Mother, huh?” Angel snorted tapping her bottom lip with her nails. “Now what does it tell me that you’re the one behind this.”

“Fuck you, bitch.” The woman spat angrily. “I’m a business woman. You can’t tell me you won’t do the same thing if you were in my shoes.”

Slowly a maniacal grin crossed Angel’s face as she stepped closer to the other woman, the faint marks on her face darkened to cover her natural features. “Really? Sellin’ babies to perverts? I don’t think so. Its cause of you I’m in business. You seem to think you’re something special, that no one’s gonna touch you. Got news for you,” Angel whispered softly, almost kindly. “I don’t play by those rules. You’re mine!”

“What do you want us to do with her?”

“Whatever you want. Just don’t leave any trace of her.” Angel replied as she stalked toward the warehouse.

Daemon grinned evilly at Piotr and Jack as their boss disappeared inside. As soon as the door was closed tightly he glanced at his new toy. “Sooo.” He paused welcoming the dart of fear in her eyes. “I’m open to suggestions, gentlemen.”

“Kill her, slowly, painfully. Make her feel every drop of pain those kids have felt.” Piotr glanced between the two men. “Now, I’m gonna go and watch to see that the Boss don’t do something she’s gone lose sleep over.”

“You can’t do this! I’m a successful business woman, someone will miss…” She gasped as a hard elbow connected with her face, sending her backwards into the car. She lay there gasping in agony as the blood flowed down her face.

“Daemon, the target?” Jack asked softly.

“Left her with my sister.” He replied. “She’s waiting at the Park.”

Jack nodded as the doors opened and Daemon’s partner came out looking slightly green. “You forget to take your motion sickness pill or something?”

“Naw, just hate seein’ the boss all covered up with those black scrolls. Gives me the creeps.” He nodded at the sobbing lump in the back of the wagon. “What about her?”

“It’s up to you two. Whatever you do though, don’t leave anything that anyone can trace back to us. I’m gonna go make arrangements for Dorine and Doc to be at the house.”

Piotr paused at the door and glanced behind him at two of the most vicious men in the world and sighed. As he stepped inside he had no idea that he was being watched, or that the man standing in the shadows watching his every move snarled angrily as his claws slid out before being retracted quickly.
Dealing with the cards by Shadowlady
Angel tossed her cloak into the hamper to be washed and undid the clasp on her bracelet. Watching the flickering light catching on it she sighed, and wiped a finger across the surface of the charms. There was blood on some of them and she didn’t want to leave it there.

“Doc should be done soon.” Piotr said as he unlocked a plain looking cherry-wood door and pulled out a tall bottle of whiskey. “Drink?”

“Just coffee.” Angel sank into the sofa and leaned her head against the back, her eyes staring at the ceiling. She barely felt the slow glide of a tear as it slid down her cheek and soaked into her hair, instead she blinked at the lights above her and prayed that the rest of her team would be able to find the location.

“What are some people such bastards?” She asked as Piotr handed her a cup of coffee.

“Because they get off on inflicting pain. The boys’ll get the information we need and those kids’ll be okay. We’ll send ‘em somewhere safe, somewhere they can heal.”

“Vancouver?” Rolling her head to the side she stared at him as he leaned his head against his fist, his elbow braced on the back of the couch. “Whitehorse?”

“You think they should stay together?”

“Yes.”

“Whitehorse. It’s the most out of the way place we’ve got.”

“Wonder how I’m gonna get ‘em up there?” She mused sipping on her coffee. “I’ve got to find a way of transporting them via air but I don’t have the cash right now. Not until after that social coming up next month.”

“What about the money from that bitch?” Piotr pulled out a wad of cash. “There’s nearly two grand here. And I’m sure if you were to look in her bag there’d be more. She had nine girls in her stable.”

“Okay, okay so we find out how much she had. We can use that and I’ll get one of the northern enforcers to meet them. Who would be a good mentor for them? I don’t want to dump them there without someone familiar to…”

“What about Daemon’s sister? She’s been looking for a position within the company. She could take over the group sessions at the Klondike House.”

“She’d do well.” Angel shifted tiredly. “I never thought kicking ass would make me so tired.”

Piotr smiled and moved a lock of hair away from her face. “Come on, a hot shower will do you a world of good then it’s into bed for you.”

“What about you?”

“As long as I’m back at the mansion by eight who cares, right?” He grinned at her and tugged her gently into a standing position. Tonight had taken a lot out of both of them; dealing with sick, twisted critters like those they’d killed tonight only made their resolve stronger. As he undressed he watched Angel stripping and sighed, he was beginning to doubt his devotion to Xavier.

There were more important missions out there, babies that were being abused, being sold into slavery for an adult’s pleasure and he wondered if they were any less deserving than those that Charles helped.




Rogue glanced up from her book and watched Logan stalk into their room, a dark, twisted look upon his face. Setting the thick paperback aside she tilted her head slightly before rising to follow him into the bathroom.

“Everything okay, sugah?”

A grunt was her only response and she leaned against the door jam, a soft sigh escaping her lips. “Logan, if you guys missed the pick-up…”

“We didn’t.” Logan snarled throwing his leather jacket across the room, anger in every movement. “We had to wait for a crowd to leave to get to the kids.”

“A crowd?” Rogue straightened, unease creeping within her. “Were you attacked? What happened? Did you get hurt?”

“No, no. Nothing like that. Just heard a conversation I wish I hadn’t.” Logan turned to face her, pain in his eyes. “There was a group of people there over a child. Seems there’s quite the child sex ring out there.”

Rogue paled, her stomach rolling in revulsion. “Oh God, Logan. Who would do something…”

“They beat them to death, Marie. It was like they ran into a brick wall. Left him hanging there in that warehouse with a crude message carved into his face.” Logan sank down onto the toilet seat, his gaze steady, anger and disgust competing with the dark depths. “I don’t think even Creed could have been that vicious.”

“Logan, it wasn’t your fault. You couldn’t have stopped them…”

“I didn’t want to.” The rough admission cost him, taking some of his control away, revealing the pain that ran deeper than he’d ever believed. “I wanted to help them. I wanted to carve him into little pieces. He bought a seven year old little girl.”

“Do Jean and Scott know this?”

“No. They got the kids and got outta there. I stayed for a few more minutes, just long enough to find out what had happened.”

“Well we’ll just have to get Charles to look into it. Perhaps he can…”

Logan stared at the shower for a moment before rising to his feet and stripping ruthlessly. “I’ll handle it myself.”

“Logan you can’t do it by yourself.”

With a pained smile he stepped into the shower and pulled the curtain into place. First thing in the morning he was going to track a certain mutant he knew, and he was going to find out what he had been doing down on the docks. He’d find out everything, and then he’d deal out a bit of justice…Wolverine style.



Rolling over to smack the alarm clock Piotr blinked groggily and glanced at the still sleeping figure next to him. The intricate designs of her tattoos were obvious in the morning light flooding through the window. Reaching out he traced over them softly, a pained look upon his face.

Each inch, each curve of the line was an indication of another soul lost to her. She took the loss of one of her angels personally. He could still remember the night they’d met, the pain, the loss in her eyes as she told him what had brought her to that downtown bar. He remembered sitting on the floor in front of her couch and drinking themselves into oblivion in an effort to drown out the sense of failure.

“Mmm, is it time to get up already?”

“No, go back to sleep, Angel.” He whispered kissing her gently before sliding out of bed.

As quietly as possible, Piotr dressed in jeans, a t-shirt and his hikers before grabbing his jean jacket. With a soft smile he left Angel tangled in the blankets and slipped out of the loft. Hurrying down the stairs he slipped into the side door of the shelter and grinned.

A multitude of kids were hurrying about, some dressed, and others still in their pajamas as they scrambled for breakfast. He watched as a couple of the newer kids took their eggs and pancakes to a corner to eat and sighed.

“They’ll come around, boss.”

“They always do.” He replied glancing at the tall, thin woman with graying hair who stood next to him. “How are the kids that came in last night?”

“Still sleeping. Ain’t one of ‘em that doesn’t have bruises, cuts, scars.”

“Ages?”

“Ain’t one of ‘em that’s hit puberty.”

“What’s Doc say?”

“Time and care.” She smiled softly. “You know the routine.”

“Yeah.” Piotr shook his head. “Angel’s still sleeping and I’ve got to head back. If anyone asks, I’ll be here tonight.”

“And what about…?”

“No one needs to know anything. We’ll keep ‘em safe. Don’t forget to make sure that everyone attends their group today. Moira and a couple of the other girls skipped out last week.”

“Angel found a therapist for this shelter?”

Piotr shrugged. “They’re all therapists. They just don’t know it. I’m off, see you tonight.”

Dorine nodded and watched him slip through the crowd of girls. Most of the girls followed him with their eyes; several followed him to the door, a look of confused trust upon their faces. He was big, dangerous, and yet they’d never seen him be anything other than respectful and caring toward them.

“What happened last night?”

“Nothing, my dear. Come on. If everyone’s finished their breakfasts, you all have group in thirty minutes and you had all better be there. Angel doesn’t need anymore worries right now.” Dorine turned the young girl away from the door, her eyes staying on it for a fraction of a second longer.

Amid groans of protest the girls she got them going, before heading to the infirmary. She had nine girls to check up on and preparations to make for their trip to another safe house.
Missed Confrontations by Shadowlady
Piotr stared out the window of the break room. A multitude of students raced over the back lawn, their laughter filling the air as they played. Despite having to deal with mutations and the prejudice that came with it, none of them really understood misery.

Catching movement he turned his head and watched Bobby Drake walk across the back lawn to the shade of a huge weeping willow. The young man sat down next to Kitty Pryde and began a conversation.

He shook his head, even with having his family turn on him after discovering his dirty little ‘secret’, Bobby still didn’t know what it was like to have nothing but your body to sell.

With a harsh curse he turned from the window and reached for his cup of coffee. He’d never believed that humanity could be so cruel, so twisted but working with Angel had shown him that he was wrong.

She’d suffered more in the short time she’d lived than most of the girls Xavier had pulled off the streets. She’d stolen, starved, struggled to survive until Logan had picked her up. He owed the other man so much, but he couldn’t tell him. He couldn’t, he wouldn’t share the deepest darkest secrets that ate at him.

Looking down at his hands, Piotr clenched his fists, unrolling his fingers again and again. He could still feel the soft give of flesh, the harsh crunch of bones as they shattered, as he hit that man again and again. The cries of pain that were barely muffled by the gag, the agony in his eyes as Angel flexed her powers.

He shuddered as the echo of metal slicking against bone filled his mind, the slow, steady crawl of script filling the man’s face as she carved him a warning. Shaking off his depressing thoughts he headed for his room, he still had one afternoon class to teach.

Sidestepping Jubilee and another young man, Piotr took the stairs two at a time. He was on the top landing when his cell rang.

“Hello.”

“Hey, how’s it going?”

“Hey, didn’t expect to hear from you.” Dodging a rushing student, Piotr smiled.

“You should have got me out of bed.”

“You needed the rest.” Piotr laughed softly, stepping into his room. The door closed with a soft click and he moved to settle on the large chair by the window. “I thought I’d come by a bit earlier tonight if that’s okay with you?”

“Piotr, you’re welcome any time.” Angel laughed softly. “Actually, Dorine said that the girls all attended group this morning.”

“Well that’s a good thing.”

“Yes, it is. Means that we’re gonna be able to do an afternoon transport. Do you think you could be here for a drive to the airport?”

“What time? My last class is finished at two…”

“That’ll work. Bulldog and Deke’re gonna take the suburban.”

“Hon, I know the drill.” Piotr chuckled. “I’ll be there.”

There was a heavy silence on the line for a moment before Angel spoke softly, “I thought about what you said last night, about crumbs. You were right; I did give you bits and pieces. That’s gonna change.”

“I’ll see you this afternoon.” Piotr whispered, a warmth in his chest and a tightness in his voice. "Thank you."

The soft click of a disconnection echoed across the line and Piotr stared at the small silver phone in his hand for a moment. Clicking it shut he tossed it aside and turned back to the sunlight streaming out the window.

They had a transport to do and he would be prepared. He’d have to coordinate all his activities with the other Enforcers. It wouldn’t do to have anyone from the mansion knowing about his activities so he’d have to figure some way of sneaking out without being caught.

He could always make up an excuse about picking up something. Grabbing his cell and the books he would need for his class, his mind whirling with ideas to fulfill his obligations.



Logan wasn’t happy that somehow he’d been unable to pin Piotr down in one spot long enough to ream him out. A glance at the clock revealed it was almost nine, the usual hour that the tall Russian vanished like a ghost. Stalking the hallways he headed for the garage, intent upon the hunt.

Leaning against the front fender of the battered Chevy Piotr often drove on his nightly escapes, Logan waited for his quarry. Sucking in a lungful of smoke he held his breathe a moment before exhaling just as the door opened and the man in question stepped through.

“Goin’ somewhere?” Logan growled softly, feeling a prick of pleasure as Piotr jumped and looked up, shock in his expression.

“Logan, I didn’t…”

“Just how long has this been going on?” Logan ground out moving toward Piotr who stared back at him with unease.

“How long has what…?”

“Don’t play games with me. I wanna know how long you’ve been working with that…that outfit that’s selling…”

“I don’t work with anyone that sells anything.” Piotr snarled angrily. “And that you’re asking now means you followed me. Pretty low, Logan.”

“Answer the fuckin’ questions, you pathetic prick.”

“I work for the LFAA. And no, I’m not gonna explain what that is…”

“I will.”

Both men jerked around to stare at the dark haired woman standing in the doorway. “Rogue…”

“Logan, it’s not what you think. I didn’t think it would go this far. Didn’t think you’d get in with her.” Rogue moved closer to the pair. “That’s where you go every night isn’t it? You vanish like smoke, and then go into town and what?”

“I can’t tell you. And I wouldn’t even if I could. I won’t break my word or her trust.”

“Go on.” Rogue tugged Logan away from the truck and held tightly when Piotr climbed in. She could feel the anger bubbling within Logan as Piotr drove away and sighed. “We need to talk.”

“What the fuck was that? Why would you…?”

“Do you remember back about two years ago when I disappeared without a trace during a mission and came back a day or so later? Do you remember what I said when you asked where I’d been?”

“Yeah you muttered something about Rogue’s Haven.”

Rogue smiled at him and cupped his jaw. “Piotr is working with the woman who started that place. He’s saving kids.”

“I heard what I heard, Rogue. They were talkin’ about selling a baby…”

“I know. I don’t condone what you heard, but you have to think about it. When has Piotr ever done anything to make you doubt him? There has to be a reason that he hasn’t come to us and said what he’s been doing. I’ll talk to him; see if he’ll bring the woman he works for to the fundraiser on Saturday night. Until then, can we keep this quiet? If the others knew it could create….”

Logan growled at the thought of letting anyone hurt a kid but kept his thoughts to himself. Saturday would be just as good to kick some metal ass as tonight would have been.
Let her be a kid by Shadowlady
The ruckus from below her drew a smile as Angel carried her garment bag along the hallway. Slipping into the loft apartment she called home, she hung it on the back of the door before kicking off her shoes and moving across the room to her desk.

Settling behind the scarred wooden desk she began sorting through the stacks of mail that had accumulated with two days of ignorance. Tossing aside the junk she stacked the bills neatly, each one would be checked, paid, and filed before she went to bed.

Glancing up at the soft knock on her door she frowned, “Come.”

“Uh Miss Angel?” Tiny, dark eyes surrounded by a mop of straight midnight hair stared at her apprehensively.

“Come in Sally. What can I do for you?” She smiled to ease the girl’s fears and rose to walk around the desk. Her apartment was her own space, a place she could go to do nothing or everything if she chose but the door was never really closed to the residence.

“Um I was wondering?”

“About what?” Angel waited for the tiny girl to speak her thoughts.

“Piotr.”

“What about him?” Angel tilted her head slightly and wondered what could be the problem. Most of the girls either ignored him or treated him like an extension of her. That one of the girls was worried about him bothered him.

“Is he comin’ by tonight?”

“Of course he is. Why? Do you not want him to?” Angel traced a gentle hand over the girl’s dark hair. “Does he frighten you?”

The girl flushed and shrugged, “No. I heard he’s one of the enforcers. One of your policeman and I was kinda hopin he could chase away the bad men.”

“Bad men?” Angel paused and smiled softly before pulling the girl closer to her. “I promise you this, Sally, no one and I mean no one is gonna hurt you. If they tried it everyone would fight for you. I don’t want you to worry about someone coming from the past; I won’t let anyone hurt you.”

“But Piotr’s bigger and stronger than they are. He’s never tried to hurt me, tried to make me do bad, dirty things.”

“Baby,” Angel paused catching the faint but distinct flinch from her ward. “Sally, I hope that someday you can look beyond what you’re feeling. Fear is no way to live, but you know what. It doesn’t make you weak. Now Piotr will stand up for you, he’d stand up for any of the girls.”

“Does he stand up for you?”

Angel shrugged, a warm, knowing smile crossing her face. “Yes he does, even when it’s me that’s he has to fight. I give you my word, Mentor isn’t coming back.”

Sally nodded and rose to her feet, her hands covered by the sleeves of her sweater. Even in ninety degree weather every inch of her body was covered, a defense mechanism if ever Angel had seen one. “I trust him, and that’s not easy. I better get back; I’ve still got some homework.”

Angel nodded and watched the girl slip out into the corridor. As soon as she was certain she was gone she rose and walk to the window. Staring down at the street below her she felt the anger rolling within her.

She flexed her fingers feeling the sadistic pleasure she’d gotten out of watching Mentor being destroyed. She’d started small within his organization, stealing the odd child from him, faking deaths, interrupting his supply lines. Everything had been planned, every move choreographed to destroy at the basic level.

Killing his business had take her months, killing his soul had taken all of twenty minutes. She’d killed the most important thing in his life, beyond his business. Glancing at the filing cabinet beside her she moved to it and opened the top drawer, pulling out a folder and opening it.

Angel stared down into the face of a young woman, her eyes haunted, a fake smile upon her face. Oh yes, she’d destroyed everything that man had ever had, and saved more than just the souls of the girls on the streets.

“Who’s that?” Piotr’s voice drew her attention.

A bolt of shock raced through her and she gasped, jerking to her feet, her body primed for a fight. “Damn it! Don’t scare me like that, I could’ve drained you dry!”

“I’m not so sure you’d do that.” Piotr dropped a kiss on her cheek and refocused her attention. “Who’s the girl?”
“Her name’s Emily Franks.” Angel said tracing over the glossy 8 x 10 with care. “She works for me.”

“I kinda figured that. Where’d you meet her?”

“Kansas.” Angel replied. “In a shit hole that would have made Logan’s skin crawl.”

Piotr flinched and stared down at the picture. “Do I want to know details?”

Angel shook her head. “Only if you want nightmares.”

“Okay, just tell me how you came to get her.”

“She was part of the take down of Mentor.”

A quick jerk of his head and Piotr was staring into the blue eyes of his girl. “Is he back?”

“No. Not that I’m aware of. Sally’s been scared that he would come back and I’ve been trying to convince her otherwise. He won’t be back.”

“Where is he?”

Angel smiled a cold, sadistic grin. “I took care of him. Left what there was of him at the bottom of a lake in Washington.”

“I don’t even want to know. Did you make arrangements for security for tomorrow night?” A swift change of topic and Angel slapped the folder shut.

“Yes. Bulldog, Deke and Reaper will be here for three days. They’ll stay tonight, be around during the day tomorrow so that the girls know they’re here then they’ll lay low until day after tomorrow. They’re the first line of defense for these girls and I won’t…”

“Don’t explain.” Raising a hand, Piotr halted her explanation. “A simple yes would have done. Do you have any questions or concerns about the function at Xavier’s?”

“How many people are going to be there?”

“Around five hundred. They’re men and women from all of his dealings. He’s after money and they have lots.”

Angel snorted, “And why am I going? I haven’t got a fortune.”

“You’re going to decorate my arm.” Piotr chuckled and kissed her neck. “And to show ‘em what a real woman is.”

“Mmm, you do realize that they might have a problem with you bringing an ex-whore and…”

“Some whore.” Piotr whispered in her ear. “I saw that delightful little stain on the sheets the first night we made love.”

Angel glanced at him and shook her head. “Enough. Tell me more about these functions. I need to know all the details you can spare if I’m to fit in. Besides, why shouldn’t I work the room to? Perhaps I could convince some of those wealthy people to spread a few pennies my way.”

“Good idea.” Sinking onto the heavy easy chair, Piotr leaned back. “They’re black tie of course. Security is always done by residence. Charles is always prepared for anything, he’s a telepath.”

“Who on your team will be there?” Angel asked settling across from him a tall glass of coke in her hand.

“Hmm, hard to say. Depends on if there’s a mission. But you’re looking at Bobby Drake, Rogue, Logan, Ororo Monroe, Hank McCoy, Scott Summers, Jean Greye, Kitty Pryde…”

“So both Alpha and Beta teams?”

“Pretty much. Logan doesn’t really like going to ‘em but he’ll do it for Rogue. Besides, he’s the head of security so he has to stick close.”

Angel nodded thoughtfully, “Any mutations I should be concerned about? I mean beyond the telepath?”

“It’s not a battle, it’s a fancy dinner.” Piotr pointed out. “And no. There are a multitude of mutations but they’re not bad people. Logan might be a bit of a pain in the ass, he followed me the other night. Not sure what all he saw or heard but…”

“I can work with that. Rogue’ll keep him in line, I hope. What about my tats?”

“What about ‘em?”

“If I’m not wearing my charms I have to have a safety back-up. I don’t want to pick up the silverware and absorb the energy.” Angel frowned as she thought about it. “I’ll have to let my tats show.”

“Angel, honey you don’t have to do anything. Now, this is gonna be easy. You just be who you are and if they say anything, we’ll just leave. Enough talk about Saturday night, lets talk about something else.”

“Like what?” Angel giggled as he pulled her into his lap.

“Dinner. Jack is waiting for us downstairs, we have reservations at Reno’s and you are just too sexy.”

“Reno’s huh?”

“Yep.”

“In that case, I’d better get changed. I’ll be as quick as I can.”

Piotr leaned back against his chair and watched her snag clothing before slipping into the bathroom. He wondered if Logan would realize just what he had started, if he would recognize the young woman that was such a big part of a world that few even knew existed. Exhaling sharply, he raked his hands through his hair, resolved to let his Logan problem sort itself out.
Speculations and Doubts by Shadowlady
Rogue put the finishing touches on her makeup and turned to glance at Logan who was snarling and growling at the tie around his neck. Hiding a smile she walked toward him, taking the thin piece of silk from his fingers and knotting it easily.

“How the hell do ya do that so easily?” Logan groused.

“Practices.” Rogue replied before cracking a grin. “And I’ve got a man who wears ties all the time in my head. So you ready?”

“As I’m ever gonna be. Hope that stupid tin-plated punk is here tonight.”

Rolling her eyes, Rogue grabbed her scarf and wrapped it around her neck as she was ushered out the door. “Logan, you promised.”

“I promised not to kick is ass the other day, nothing was said ‘bout tonight.” Logan snapped back. “If he’s involved in that disgusting…I can’t even think of a word bad enough, I’m gonna rip him a new one.”

“We’ll talk to him tonight. Get an explanation. You are not going to get blood on this suit!” Rogue glared at him. “Not going to do it.”

“Fine.” Logan grumbled as he was led to the fancy party he hated attending. He could kick ass without drawing blood, of course if he did happen to nick the bastard who cared as long as Rogue didn’t see the blood.

Stepping in the room his gaze swept the crowd, not spotting the man he was searching for he growled low in his throat. A glance from his wife and he pasted a smile on his face that looked more like a grimace.




“Thanks Jack.” Piotr smiled at the man holding the door as he slid out. Turning he offered his hand to the woman he’d brought to this party. “I’ll give you a call if we need a ride home.”

Jack nodded and smiled at Angel. “My cell’s on.”

Angel smiled back and glanced at Piotr before stepping away from the men to stare at the mansion before her.

“Take care of her.” Jack whispered. “The boys’ll be here within minutes if you need ‘em.”

“She’s my girl. I’ll do what I have to.”

Jack nodded and headed for the drivers seat. “I’ll see you tomorrow.”

“You ready for this?” Piotr asked taking her hand and placing it in the curve of his elbow.

The warm, comfortable silence stretched out for a moment before she turned to him. “Do you think they’ll create a problem?”

“I think Logan’s gonna wanna explanation but I don’t think he’d create a scene to do it. Believe me, I’ll do whatever I have to keep him quiet without giving too much away.”

“I should have stayed in contact. It’s been two years since I’ve talked to him. Maybe if he knew…”

“Angel, he might not know you. Besides, what we do isn’t about being a mutant or not. Xavier rescues mutant kids, takes ‘em in, but what they do has nothing to do with us. Now, I have my big flashlight with me so if it gets dark I can light the way. You ready for this?”

Angel shrugged, “Let’s play.”

Leading her up the steps he slipped in the front door of the mansion, giving a quick nod to a member of the security team before starting for the massive dining room that had been set up for the evening.

“You look ravishing tonight.” Piotr whispered softly in her ear as the faint but distinct sounds of a string band filled the air.

“You just wanna get lucky later.”

“Sure, but you still look good. And you’re gonna turn a lot of heads.”

“We’ll see.” Angel said as they slipped into the room. Low lights competed with the flickering of candles that were scattered through the room, and on every table. The number of people was impressive, tuxedos and expensive gowns seemed to fill the room. There was more money in jewels and fancy clothes than Angel had ever seen and she glanced at the simple gown that one of the girls had designed and made for her.

“I feel a tad underdressed.”

“You aren’t underdressed,” Piotr whispered softly, his lips so close to her ear she shivered at the tickling sensation. “You’re the best lookin’ woman here, and that gown only shows off more of you. Makes me want to drag you outta here and into the nearest coat closet.”

Angel giggled softly. “What did I tell you about teasin’ me?”

“Not to do it, because it was mean.” Piotr replied pulling her flush against him. “But you gotta admit, it gets the blood flowing.”

Angel flushed slightly and glanced at him. “You uh seem to developed a bit of a problem.”

“Shut-up.” Piotr growled softly. “Come on, let’s find a table so I can sit down. This could get embrassing.”

“Ooh, poor man. I’ll take care of you later. Promise.”

Pressing a hot kiss to the nape of her neck, Piotr pushed her toward a nearby table. Thankful that there were no formal seating arrangements he reached for a chair.



Jean glanced at the door at a gentle nudge from Kitty and froze. “Do you know who that is?” She whispered as Rogue joined them.

“Who?”

“Look.” Jean nodded at the doorway and Rogue turned.

Standing next to Piotr was a beautiful woman with long, curly blonde hair. Most of it had been piled upon her head, a few loose tendrils hung down past her shoulders. Shoulders that were bare save for dark, scrolling lines. The flickering light caught the jewels around her neck and dangling from her ears. A dark gold gown hugged her curves, flowing down over her hips to pool along the floor. With each step the gown shimmered, flickering in a multitude of colors as the sequins caught the light.

“Who dressed her?” Kitty whispered.

“Kitty!”

“Look at her! That gown is beautiful.” Kitty hissed. “Man what I wouldn’t give to find out who designed it.”

Rogue frowned as a memory tickled at her, there was something familiar about this woman, and something she should know. Suddenly it clicked into place as she caught the calligraphy on the woman’s shoulder. “LFAA, oh shit!” Ignoring Jean and Kitty’s shocked looks she darted away, intent on finding Logan before he made a scene.
Impatience and Relief by Shadowlady
“I see Rogue but not Logan,” Piotr muttered, his eyes darting around the room as they settled into chairs.

“Do you think Rogue would recognize me in this get-up?” Angel whispered softly.

“I’m not sure. I don’t know what she’ll even say. I mean she knows I’ve been working with you and the LFAA but…” Piotr reached over to take her hands and squeeze them. He kissed her knuckles softly, a warm, soft smile crossing his face as he saw the usual blood red on her hands had been replaced with a soft pink, with small stones in. “The girls must have wanted to help.” He licked along the edge of one nail and watched her eyes darken.

“Angel!” Rogue’s cheery face appeared before them with a disgruntled Logan in tow. “Wow! I haven’t seen you in ages. How are you?”

“Fine.” Angel shifted uneasily, her gaze darting to Logan’s face. She winced at the dark look in his eyes and moved closer to Piotr.

“Piotr, glad you could make it.” Logan ground out. “And your friend.”

“Thanks. So uh, who all is here?”

“Everyone with a bank balance over a quarter million dollars.” Logan snarled his dark look sweeping around to encompass the entire room.

“It seems to be an excellent turnout.” Angel commented. “Pity they don’t realize just what their money could do.”

“Oh, you mean buy kids.” Logan hissed, catching the brief flash of rage within the blonde’s face, a vaguely familiar face and he wondered about it.

“Logan!” Rogue elbowed him hard in the ribs. “Shut it.”

“Perhaps we should find somewhere else to discuss this.” Piotr suggested glancing around uneasily. “I’d hate to ruin the Professor’s hard work…”

“Good idea. Outside.”

With a smile pasted on her face, Angel followed Piotr as they made for the beautifully crafted French doors. She paused fractionally as her eyes searched for familiar faces, a warm hand on her lower back propelled her forward and she slipped out the door into the warm night air.

A soft expression erased the fake smile as she wallowed in the sweet smell of roses. The back of the shelter had a huge yard; perhaps she should plant a flower garden. It would certainly help with her kids, it was supposed to be relaxing and therapeutic, something they all needed from time to time.

“It’s beautiful isn’t it?” Rogue asked as she stared out over the massive amount of rose bushes that made up Storm’s prized garden.

“Indeed. I think it would a good idea to have it at the shelter,” Angel said quickly. “The kids could certainly use something that’s constructive to help them deal with the strain and tension that always arises after a group session.”

“How many do you have now?” Rogue grabbed Logan’s arm and dragged him toward the patio furniture.

“I don’t know.” Angel frowned as she tried to think of the number. “Piotr do you remember what the last count was?”

“Well over fifteen hundred.” He replied settling against the stone railing, his arms crossed over his chest. “And unfortunately we keep growing.”

“I’m sure you…” Logan started only to tense at a sudden sound of an annoying beep. “What the fuck is that?”

“My cell.” Angel replied pulling it out of her small purse, a dart of fear racing through her eyes. “Hello.”

“Um Angel?”

“Yes Sally, what is it?” Angel tensed at the young girl’s voice.

“I was wondering if you would mind if I stay in with Lori and Shawna.”

“Honey, you don’t have to ask that. If your friends don’t mind…” Angel shifted. “Sally, what’s wrong? If it’s the nightmares…”

“No.” Weak, tearful, the little girl’s voice held fear and uncertainty. “Liam came in with another girl tonight. She’s got a scar like mine.”

Turning from Logan and Rogue, Angel rose and walked to stand next to Piotr. “Sally, listen to me. I know you think he’s gonna come back and hurt you but I promise you this. If he did I’d hurt him. You and I both know that I don’t let anyone hurt my friends, my family. I know you were with him a long time, and I know you’re still scared, but believe me. You have more friends who would fight for you than you think.”

“So I can sleep with…”

Angel chuckled kindly, “Sally why don’t you check with the other girls? Ask them who wants to have a sleep-over and you can all bunk down on the floor mats in the exercise room.”

“Cool! I’ll ask.”

“Thank you. Now if Liam or one of the boys is there, can I talk to ‘em?”

“Just a second.” Sally said.

Angel winced at the loud shout that echoed over the phone a moment before a deep, baritone voice drifted over it. “Hello, boss.”

“The girls are gonna have a sleep-over in the gym. Put extra guards on duty, I don’t care how many you have to bring in. Call up the secondary team if you want, call in anyone who’s got a pulse. I want my kids to be safe, so you lock that house down tighter than a nun’s cunt. You got me?”

“Gotcha, boss. You coming back tonight?”

Angel glanced at Piotr who leaned toward her, trying to hear what was being said without interrupting. “Probably not. If I do, I’ll call. Anyone comes too close; you do what you have to.”

“Boss, you know I will. Anyone or anything wants these kids; they’ll have to go through us first.” Liam drawled coldly. “And I can guarantee they won’t win.”

“See that they don’t.” Piotr rumbled quietly a moment before Angel disconnected the call. “Sally still worrying?”

“She’s gonna worry till she’s old and grey.”

“She’s one of the oldest thirteen year-olds I’ve ever met.” Piotr replied. “I’ll have to talk to the security store. Maybe they’ve got something better…” Piotr snapped his mouth shut as the doors opened and Jean stepped out along with Kitty and Ororo.

“Here you are.” Jean smiled warmly. “We were wondering where you’d disappeared to.

Sharing a relieved glance Angel and Piotr turned to the tall red-head walking toward them. There was a polish, a refinement in every move she made that came with being sheltered, being loved. It was glaringly obvious that none of the trio had ever walked in the shadows.

“It’s such a beautiful night we thought we’d come get some air. And you know Logan, he can’t stand these functions.” Rogue said.

“Indeed.” Jean glanced at Logan and noted the dark scowl. “I don’t know why you come; you just sit and sulk the entire time.”

“Because I’m head of security for this circus.” Logan grunted, staring at Piotr who didn’t look the slightest bit guilty.

Jean rolled her eyes at his statement and turned back to the young woman standing with Piotr. “I’m Jean Greye, this is Kitty Pryde, and Ororo Monroe.”

“Anne Selkirk.” Angel briefly shook hands with the women. “Do you work here at the school?”

“Yep,” Kitty grinned. “What about you? What do you do?”

“I run a network of non-profit organizations.” Angel replied swiftly, the semi-lie rolling off her tongue easily. “I’m actually in the area on business.”

“Do tell. What sort of organization do you work with?”

“Children.” Piotr replied meeting Logan’s eyes. “We deal with underprivileged kids, runaways, that sorta thing.”

“Fascinating. Would you be willing to do a tour?” Ororo asked. “There are so many kids out there in need of help with the basics, and I would be delighted to see what sort of work you’re doing.”

Angel wondered if her face reflected her disgust, even as her smile broadened. “I’ll have to check with the board, see what can be arranged.”

“I realize this may be a bit rude, but where did you get your gown?” Kitty demanded quickly, sensing the woman’s irritation.

As though programmed everyone glanced down at the gown, eying it quickly.

“Actually, it’s a one of a kind. Designed for me.”

“Would you be willing to share your designer for a few days?” Jean asked. “I would love to have some help designing my wedding gown and…”

Rising Logan shook his head; obviously he wouldn’t be getting a word in edgewise. With a glance at the woman standing with Piotr he frowned, she smelt familiar, she looked vaguely familiar but he didn’t remember seeing anyone with the tattoos this woman had.

Feeling Rogue’s warm breath on his neck he glanced at her. “What?”

“Nothing. I’ll tell you all about her later. Come on, let’s mingle. If we don’t, Chuck’s gonna be disappointed.”

“Ya know what I say to that.”
Questions and Answers by Shadowlady
Logan watched the party before him as the guests slowly started departing. He hated the crowd, hated the noise, the scents but he couldn’t refuse to participate. Catching sight of Piotr he tilted his head as he tried to remember exactly where he’d caught the scent of the woman with him.

There was something too familiar about it, something that pulled at the edges of his mind. He wondered if he’d seen her in a bar. She didn’t look like a fight groupie, didn’t walk like one. Instead every move she made was lithe, smooth, and graceful. Like she’d grown up in high society, yet the way she stood, the unconscious way she drew attention to her was at odds with that image.

“Still tryin’ to figure it out?” Rogue’s soft whisper drew a grin that was quickly masked.

“I know that damn scent. I can almost taste it.”

“Of course you can.” She giggled and rested her hands on his shoulder. “Do you want me to clue you in?”

“It would save time.”

Rogue nodded. “The last bar you were in before you stopped in Selkirk, before you came home to me. A half-starved girl in a tattered mini-skirt, reeking of desperation and fear as she offered you ten minutes of true love for twenty bucks. Hunched in a chair as she ate your leftovers.” Rogue whispered softly. “You dropped her off in Selkirk, made her promise not to turn tricks, to get back in school.”

“Angel?” Logan whipped his head around to stare at Rogue. “I haven’t seen her in four or five years, haven’t even talked to her in over two.”

“You made her.” Rogue nudged her chin toward the woman who laughed at something Piotr said, her body relaxing into the big man’s grip easily. “You took her away from hell and she’s built something around that.”

“She’s buying and selling kids? She’s doing to others what she had done to her?” Logan couldn’t understand the reasoning behind it.

“No. She’s taking kids in, giving them homes, family, faith. A place to belong.” She paused. “She’s taking the kids that no one wants, the kids that are being used, abused and giving them back what was stolen from them. For each of them, they’ve had their wings ripped off, sold like yard sale junk, Angel gives them back.”

“So what’s Piotr doing with her?”

Rogue shrugged. “He’s an enforcer. Muscle man does what others don’t or can’t do. He also loves her enough to walk in the shadows she must.”

“And I was gonna beat ‘im to a pulp.”

“If you want to know what they do, if you want to see the effect your kindness had on one person find out where she lives. Find out where the haven is the sanctuary for the kids. You’ll be surprised at what you’ll find.”

Logan watched Piotr and his girl even as he listened to Rogue walk away. Somehow he didn’t think either of them would tell him where they kids were. Suddenly, a comment made by Piotr earlier in the night made his stomach clench.

Stalking across the room, Logan wondered if he could get the information outta the couple simply by asking. He stopped next to Piotr who turned his head and looked at him for a moment.

“We need to talk.” Logan grunted and nodded toward the doors. “Now.”

With a telling look between the, Angel and Piotr followed him out of the room and into the night air. Shivering slightly she smiled her gratitude when Piotr wrapped his jacket around her shoulders.

“So.” Angel started as they walked through the rose garden, the moon lighting the way. “What do you want to know?”

“How long have you been taking kids in?” Logan demanded digging out a cigar. “When did you start?”

Angel shrugged, “Not too long after you helped me. I saw a need, I filled it. Within a year the house you had in Selkirk was full. I would be more than happy to provide you with all the paperwork…”

“I ain’t interested in a piece of paper. I wanna know how.”

“Went to work. I did as you asked.” Angel replied. “Took a vow, swore an oath of sorts and set out a bunch of rules. It hasn’t been easy. I haven’t managed to save all of went after.” She paused. “The first couple of years I worked in a store, worked in a restaurant, went to school. Did a lot of fundraising, got help from Sal-Mart, and other local charities.”

“And?” Logan prompted as she snuggled deeper into the warmth of the man next to her.

“I worked hard, Logan. I saved every penny. Do you know how many meals I missed because I took the money you sent me and used it to pay bills, buy second hand clothes for the kids I found? I took what the thrift stores wouldn’t, made things outta garbage and for what? So that the kids I found could have a full belly and a warm bed – alone.”

“What are you doing here?” Logan asked after a few minutes of silence.

“Building the fourth shelter.” Piotr replied quickly. “Managed to fill three of ‘em already. This one is pretty full and it’s gonna get fuller.”

“I did get a call back from that old brownstone apartment complex out by the park.” Angel spoke softly, kicking off her heels and walking along the grass peacefully. “I’m gonna have to sell a couple of the cars…”

“Why?” Logan demanded.

“I’m short five grand on the purchase price.” Angel explained. “And I can’t afford to lose this place. It’s got enough room for six hundred kids. Means I can reshuffle everyone, can move those that need it without double-bunking.”

“And you need five grand.”

“Yeah.” Piotr shrugged. “We’ll raise the money though; I could always sell my collection of…”

“Oh no. Piotr you’ve already sold too much. You don’t have a lot left to sell and I don’t want you to have nothing.”

“I don’t think of it like that. I’m saving a baby from a pervert. From some sick, twisted freak it’s worth losing on old book or clothes, or a laptop.”

Logan frowned as he watched them discussing their choices. The warmth, the genuine emotion that came from both of them was overpowering, soaking the air with their emotions. “I can get some for you as well.” Logan offered.

“NO! You’ve already done so much; I won’t ask more of you!” Angel protested. “I have things I can sell.”

“No. If you have a need than I can help.” Logan drawled. “Besides, you think Rogue’s gonna let me get away with not helpin’.”

“I won’t take it.” Angel shook her head. “I’ve always managed to get the money somehow.”

“I can ask Professor Xavier.” Piotr interjected. “I could see if he’d loan me a couple of grand.”

“I’ll get you five grand.” Logan snapped, shocked beyond belief that the pair was arguing over who would provide the money. “What about bedding? Food? Clothes…”

Angel shrugged and looked at Piotr before facing Logan. “I can get all of that from my contact within the Red Cross. Most of the time I don’t pay for it.”

“I wanna see what you’ve done. I want to see how you’ve managed to do what so many before you have failed to stick to. I did what I had to, you didn’t have to. It wasn’t part of our agreement.”

Angel shrugged a flush climbing her cheeks. “I sorta broke that agreement.”

“How?”

“You said no tricks, no boys…” Angel paused at Piotr’s soft curse. “Well he did!”

“I thought we worked this out. I’m neither a trick nor a boy. And our relationship is a bit beyond whore/trick.”

Logan glanced between them. “He’s right. I never expected you to abstain from sex. I just didn’t want you to focus on it when you were getting back on your feet.”

Angel nodded, the fear fading from her eyes, her shoulders relaxing slightly.

“Did you want to stop in?” Piotr asked. “You could come see what we’ve built.”

“When and where?”

“Tomorrow night at six.” Piotr glanced down at the woman in his arms. “By the docks. The place is called Dock’s House. Right now its co-ed but we usually like to separate them as much as possible. It has two parts; boys live in the lower level and girls in the middle level. Angel and I’s place is in the loft.”

“I’ll see you tomorrow at six then.” Logan drawled and stalked off into the shadows.

“Well that went well.” Angel whispered staring at her hands. “I didn’t think he’d be too happy.”

Piotr smiled and pulled her closer to him. “I think Logan’s a lot more complex than we give him credit for. Come on, it’s late and we have to work tomorrow.”


From the shadows under a tree, Logan watched them weaving their way back to the house. He remembered what Angel had started, remembered Rogue’s whispers in the darkness of houses full of kids that most wouldn’t spit upon if they were on fire. He remembered all too well the desperation that had soaked Angel’s scent the night he’d met her and he couldn’t help the feelin’ of pride that welled within his chest. She’d gone from being on the lowest rung of the ladder to a woman of power, of control, and dignity.
Ghosts and Fears by Shadowlady
Snuggling into the warmth of the body next to hers Angel waited for her heart to stop racing, waited for the same old guilty feeling to swamp her. Only, this time it didn’t. There was no guilt, no fear, nothing but the pleasant buzz of post orgasm.

She shivered at the gentle, almost mindless caress of calloused fingers on her bare shoulder. Pressing a soft kiss to Piotr’s chest, Angel closed her eyes, praying for a dreamless sleep, knowing it would be a long time to come.

Long after Piotr’s breathing had smoothed, and his chest rose and fell in a steady rhythm, Angel lay listening to the sounds around her. Sounds that did more to irritate than to soothe, yet she lay as still as possible dreading falling asleep yet loathed to wake Piotr.

“You’re such a pretty girl. Make a man burn to touch this pretty face, those beautiful eyes, such a wonder to see. Oh yeah baby, you’re so beautiful..” Jerking upright Angel inhaled slowly, hands that trembled pushing her hair out of her face. The echo in her mind still haunting her as she slid out of bed and padded to the bathroom.

Splashing water on her face she looked into the mirror and stared into familiar blue eyes. The old familiar ghosts were starting to rear their ugly heads and it bothered her. Every moment of rest was welcomed, was appreciated because she had no idea how long they’d last.

“You okay?” Piotr’s sleepy voice from behind her had Angel whirling to face the doorway.

“What?” She croaked.

“I asked if you were okay.” Piotr replied moving into the room, his hand already going to the light switch. Flicking it on he stared at the haunted, tired look before him and sighed. “Another one?”

“Uh, yeah.” Angel turned back to the sink her hands clasping the porcelain with desperation. “I didn’t mean to wake you.”

“Talk to me. Tell me what’s going on.” Piotr pleaded softly. “Are they about your time on the street?”

“No.” Angel tensed, unwilling to allow the monsters lose within her mind.

“Then talk to me. If I know what’s wrong, I don’t know but maybe I can help. Please, Angel you’re all I want, I don’t care about your past. I don’t want it to stop us from a future and…”

“They’re from before.” She whispered shakily. “When I was really little.”

With a gentle touch, Piotr guided her into the bedroom and sat down in a chair across from her. He watched her surround herself in blankets, her face pinched and pale. There was a distance about her that scared him but he refused to break the silence until she’d spoken.

Angel looked at him, her eyes swimming in tears. “My dad died when I was three. I don’t even remember him. I remember meeting mom’s new boyfriend though. I thought he was a monster. There was something about him that just didn’t sit with me. I had no idea how right I was.”

“What happened?”

“I was six I think the first time he touched me. Came in to my room late one night and sat on the edge of the bed, petted my hair like I was a cat. I was so scared, I didn’t want him touching me but I didn’t know how to make him stop.”

“He didn’t…”

“Penetrate me?” Angel looked at Piotr and shrugged before hunching further down in the blankets. “No. Just sat there and petted me while he masturbated. It got worse as time went by though. It went from petting to fondling to other things.” She shuddered and stared at him. “I ran away when I was eight. That’s when he made me watch this video, said he wanted us to do what they did. Thank god my Mom called from work. When he went to answer the phone I got up and left the house. Spent the next two nights hid under the porch listening to him beating mom up and them fighting. When I saw a little girl around my age being led toward the house by another woman I panicked. I don’t remember much about what happened after that other than spending a few days in the hospital. I remember the doctors touching me, I remember him coming and telling me not to say anything. The day they were going to release me I ran away again. I hit the streets and never once turned back.”

Piotr swallowed the harsh bile in his throat and stared at her. He felt like going back and finding the man who’d dared to hurt the beautiful girl she would have been but knew he couldn’t. Instead, all he could do was give her the acceptance she’d never found.

“I can’t do the things he did to me. It makes me sick that’s why…”

“Angel, you don’t have to explain anything to me. I know what’s what.” Piotr rose and moved over to sit next to her. “Just tell me one thing and then we’ll move on, never look back.”

“Okay.”

“The stuff he did to you, that’s why you pulled away when I touched you that first time wasn’t it? You were caught in a dark shadow and couldn’t get out.”

Angel sighed, “I love it when you touch me, but I just can’t stand anyone touching me there.”

Piotr smiled and kissed her head. He had a fairly good idea of what she’d gone through, he’d seen the small, jagged, white line that ran three inches above her tailbone and half an inch below. He’d been around too many kids who were the victims of sexual abuse not to see the signs. “Come on, back into bed with you. I think it would be a good idea to help you build new memories, build new and better experiences with being touched.” Piotr raised a hand when she opened her mouth to protest. “I’m not asking for anal sex. I’m asking you to trust me to touch you. I have to admit there have been moments when I wouldn’t mind takin’ a nibble on that curvy behind of yours.”

Angel smiled and snuggled against him. “Alright. I’ll try but I don’t promise anything.”

“Trying is good enough.” He whispered pulling her into his arms and lying listening to her breathing even out. He would find a way to help her, and he would find a way to lay the old ghosts to rest forever…even if it meant he had to get a little blood on his hands.
Battered, bruised, but not broken by Shadowlady
The faint but distinct sound of a vehicle screeching away woke Angel in the early morning hours. Sitting up she pushed the covers aside and went to the window, her eyes searching the grounds.

Cursing when she didn’t see anything she wondered if her mind was playing tricks on her. Angel turned to go back to bed when she caught the almost silent whisper of metal in the wind.

Focusing on the sound she felt a shudder race through at the feeling of warm fluid oozing over metal, a trembling, shaking form leaning against polished gates. Grabbing the first thing she could find for clothing she donned the fancy jacket that Piotr had worn earlier and slid her feet into his slippers.

Silently, she slid out into the hallway, closing the door quickly before she turned to hurry down the stairs. Something or someone was leaning against the gate outside and she had to check it out. Maybe it was another kid, another fallen angel.

A heavy dew lay on the grass as she hurried over the stones toward the end of the drive. Pausing in the darkness she inhaled, centering herself in case there was danger. The closer to got to the gate the tighter the knot in her stomach became until she was within a few feet of the decorative barrier.

Pale feet lay on the ground, smeared with dark streaks; a shoddy blanket covered the figure that lay trembling, curled within herself. Reaching out with a hand that trembled, Angel touched the gate, searching for its secrets.

Low, pain filled the moan that echoed on the silent air told of mistreatment and agony, Pushing past the gates, Angel knelt next to the figure and reached out a hand, not shocked when the half naked, bloody figure struck out at her.

“My name’s Angel. I’m gonna help you.” Angel whispered hoping to calm and sooth rather than disturb and hurt.

“Help me. Lookin’ for Piotr.” Weak, the whimper broke her heart as she pushed the matted hair away from the girl’s face. Closing her eyes as she realized who the girl was, Angel sank down against the gates and struggled not to cry.

“Cassie, its me. I’m gonna help you inside.” Angel said, suddenly tensing as she became aware of movement behind her. Whirling her hand reached for the gate, already absorbing the energy from the metal, preparing for a fight.

“Everythin’ okay?” Logan grunted, inhaling the strong stench of pain, mixed with blood, latex, and semen.

“No. Go away.” Angel grunted as she tried to lift the taller girl up enough so she could get her inside.

“Let me have her.” Logan pushed Angel out of the way and caught the girl as she collapsed. Lifting her easily, he ignored her weak fight and started for the mansion. “Wake up Jeannie.”

“We have our own doctor.” Angel hurried after him. “Please, don’t tell on us, Logan. It will kill her.” She begged as they stepped into the warm, dark hallway.

Logan paused and looked at Angel who stood fidgeting in little more than a man’s tuxedo jacket. “Where do you want me to take her, if not the med-lab?”

“Piotr’s room. She’s familiar with him, with me. She’s one of ours.”

“She looks like hell.”

Angel hurried along the corridor opening the door and reaching for the light switch. “Piotr, incoming.” She called.

Instantly alert, Piotr sat up in bed and watched Logan bring a battered, bloody figure into his room. Sliding from the bed he grabbed a pair of sweats and pulled them on. “Put her on my bed, Logan.”

Logan lay the girl down and stepped back, aware of the blood that soaked his clothes. “She must have been in an accident.”

Angel and Piotr shared a telling look before Angel began ushering Logan out of the room. “Thank you, but we’ve got it from here.” Closing the door softly she turned back to Piotr. “What are we going to do?”

“Call Doc. Tell him we’ve got a Code Yellow. We’ll get her back to the house and then we’ll find out who did this.”

“I’ll call him.” Angel reached for the phone and punched in the number. Five minutes later she held a glass of water to Cassie’s lips and let her drink her fill. “Rest easy, Doc’s coming to help you.”

“I went for ice cream.” Cassie whimpered, curling into the fetal position. “That’s all I was doing. Just wanted some ice cream for the other girls.”

“Shhh,” Angel soothed looking at Piotr with tears in her eyes. “It’s okay. We’re gonna find out who did this and then we’ll make him pay.”

“He said it was for leavin’ him.” Cassie whispered painfully. “I should never have left him.”

“Just rest for now.”

Piotr stared hard at Angel for a moment before a soft knock drew his attention and he went to open the door a couple of inches. Catching sight of Dorine and the doctor he pulled it open and allowed them in.

“Cassie, Doc’s here. He brought Dorine. Do you want me to stay with you?” Angel asked softly.

Cassie shook her head, unmindful of the tears streaming down her face.

Grabbing a change of clothes, Angel stepped out into the hallway with Piotr. Neither saw the man standing in the shadows, watching them.

“What’s the plan?” Piotr asked as she pulled on the pants she’d grabbed and pulled off his jacket. He took it, watching her pull a simple t-shirt on, every move filled with banked rage, banked hatred.

“Call the Enforcers. If they have a bloody pulse, I want them here. We’re going hunting.” Angel hissed angrily, her hands clenching into fists. “That sick twisted bastard, figures he’s gonna walk back into her life and destroy her he’s got another think coming.”

“I’ll call Betty, she can get the entire team here within a few hours.”

“She’s fifteen Piotr, what does he think he’s gonna accomplish? She’s a kid.”

“He wants the souls he can catch with hers.” Piotr shrugged. “I’ll borrow the van, we can take her home in that. Then I’ll take the boys out and scout around. Maybe we can find a witness or something.”

“I’ll do up the team rosters. I don’t even know how many mutants are on the E-Team but I think one per group would be good.” Angel washed her hands over her face. “I hate him. I hate this situation. I hate having to patch these kids up.”

“Take it easy. We’ll get the sorry excuse for a bastard. Cassie’s stronger than she looks, she’d have to be to get this far. We can figure this out.”

“I’ll have a chat with her necklace after. I may be able to find out how many and where it occurred. For right now though we need to get out of this place without anyone detecting us. I will not expose her to these people’s judgment.” Angel jerked the door open and stepped inside.

Piotr nodded. No, Angel would not allow one of her fallen to be mocked by anyone, not even if it meant sneaking around in the early morning hours. Glancing at his watch he sighed, they had about forty minutes before the mansion began to awaken. His mind whirling he turned and spotted Logan.

“What?” Piotr ground out.

“Why don’t you tell me what’s going on?”

“Because it’s personal.”

“Not when it comes to some scared kid.” Logan drawled. “We both know I’m very good at what I do, I could help.”

Piotr sighed and glanced at the closed door before facing Logan. “Be at the Dock House tonight, five sharp, we’re going to mobilize the entire team.”

“How many are there?”

“Angel usually puts two Enforcers per house, or area depending on the population. Right now there are thirty full-time Enforcers and fifteen in training.”

“What about the X-Men?”

“Cassie isn’t a mutant.” Piotr replied and walked away, leaving Logan standing watching him. What did being a mutant have to do with anything? He wondered.
Acta sanctorum - Deeds of the saints by Shadowlady
Huddled in the back of the school van Cassie watched Angel and Piotr as they sat in the front seats. She caught the small smile the shared, the easy way Piotr held Angel’s hand on his thigh and wished she could feel so safe.

She hated knowing that she’d brought her old pimp to town, hated knowing that he was so close but she didn’t know what she could do to stop him. Biting her lip she stared at her hands in her lap, remembering the day she’d met him. She’d been so young, so foolish to believe that she could be accepted. Instead she’d found herself in the control of a monster, one who made her do things that hurt, that made her feel dirty.

“Are you warm enough?” Angel’s kind voice had her glancing up and nodded.

“Good. We’ll be at home soon. You can stay in your room if you like?”

“The other girls…”

“Don’t you go worryin’ about them. They’ll stand by you until the death. They know where you’re coming from, most ‘em have had the same experiences as you did.” Angel explained. “That’s why there are no judgments around the house. Everyone has sins and ghosts; everyone has to learn to live with them.”

Cassie nodded and went back to staring into her lap. Glancing up through her hair she caught the look that passed between Miss Angel and her man. There was something there that made her feel safe, made her feel like she wasn’t going to be hurt anymore. Closing her eyes she curled up in her seat, seeking the oblivion of sleep.

Leaving the van parked in the garage, Piotr carried Cassie’s sleeping frame up the stairs and past the open door. He smiled slightly at Angel who closed it after him and started for the hallway. Two flights of stairs awaited him and he didn’t need any distractions.

“ANGEL!”

Both turned at the shout and watched Sally racing toward them, Liam and Bulldog on her heels. “We lost Cassie! She went out…” Sally trailed off as she realized who Piotr was holding.

Angel watched the color drain from their faces and sighed, any other time she’d have chuckled at the mirrored looks of shock and horror, but not this time. “I know. We’re going to put her to bed; do you think you could bring something to eat up? Maybe some toast?”

“Yes, ma’am.” Sally swallowed and dashed off, fear and uncertainty in her eyes.

“Betty said you called.” Bulldog crossed his arms over his chest. “The Northern E-Teams will be here within three hours. Washington will be here in two.”

“How many?” Angel patted Piotr’s shoulder and watched him walk away with his precious burden.

“So far we’ve confirmed thirty six. You and I both know Witchdoctor and her crew won’t call, they’ll just show up.”

“I want everyone whose here now in my office in ten minutes.” Angel smiled at the kids that were moving around, unease and fear on their faces. “We’ll discuss this in detail then.”

Bulldog nodded and the pair turned to walk away. It would be a long, hard meeting and neither was looking forward to it.



Logan watched Rogue dress in silence. Frowning when she grabbed for a t-shirt and gloves he shifted on the couch, “What do you know about the organization Angel’s running?”

“What do you want to know?”

“What happens to the kids they take in.”

“A kid pulled from the streets here is sent somewhere else; somewhere no one knows them for a period of readjustment. Usually six or seven months, they’re given opportunities to enroll in school, counseling, training; you know a chance to be normal.”

“And then?”

“They go out into the world and never look back. Most of those that work for Angel have either known someone she’s taken in or have been rescued themselves. I don’t know a lot of what happens but from what I managed to get out of Piotr, she’s well respected and loved.”

“What about the rumors? You know, the evil woman snatching kids from their beds and such we’ve heard.”

Rogue sighed and turned to face him, half sitting on the dresser behind her. “They’re tales meant to scare. Angel has never snatched a kid from their bed, she doesn’t kill babies, or eat the flesh of those she steals.” She looked at her hands guiltily. “Piotr keeps a journal in his room. I’ve read through it, and its made me sick a few times.”

“Why?”

“The LFAA raided a house in Trenton about three months ago. They killed the two men who were at the door, busted up the place, and took the sex slaves out of there.” Rogue swallowed. “There was a little girl Piotr talked to, and what they had her doing wasn’t even fit for an animal, Logan. Her mother couldn’t pay her crack bill and she wasn’t good enough lookin’ to sell so they took her daughter. The little girl was the payment for her mother’s crack habit, they sold her several times a night.”

Logan clenched his hands, his claws screeching as they came out. “What happened to her?”

Rogue moved across the room and pulled a slim envelope from a drawer. “I copied this.” She handed it to him and watched the rage fill his features as he read the crookedly spelled note. “According to what I was able to find out, she’d have been dead within a year anyway. She’d been infected with the AIDs virus.”

“So you think that the organization is a good one?”

“I’d be willing to fight for them. Logan, don’t make judgments about what they do. Piotr chooses to do this work, he finds a sense of value, a sense of respect in it.”

“How’d they meet?” Logan asked staring at the suicide note in his hands.

“Remember when we had that really bad mission, the one where that boy Piotr was holding was killed? He took off without a word, disappeared until the next day…”

“Yeah, I remember. Jean was some pissed about it.”

“He went to a bar, hoping to drink away his failure. Instead he met Angel, they got drunk, went back to her place, and drank until they passed out. I don’t know what was said or anything like that, but I remember Piotr asked me after he got back what the initials stood for. When I told him he kinda smiled and said figures, only Logan would find worth in the worthless.” Rogue chuckled. “Said it made you more of a man than anyone he’d ever known.”

“We have to help them.”

“With what?”

“There was a girl here this morning. Pretty busted up but at least she’s alive. They took her back to town. I caught part of the conversation, seems they’re gonna call in all their muscle and go after the men that hurt her.”

“Then we’ll help.” Rogue knelt in front of him, her hands resting on his legs. “Please, Logan, don’t let her think she’s wrong. She’s come a long way and she deserves all the happiness she can get.”

Logan stared at her for a moment. “Xavier ain’t gonna go for a turf war between pimps ya know.”

“Then leave him outta this.”

“Come on, hurry up and get dressed. I wanna be there when this plan they’ve got goes down.” Logan paused, a frown marring his face. “Uh do you think they’ll let us in?”

Rogue smiled sadly, “They know all about you Logan. They know just what kind a man you are and they’re gonna love you. Now, lets go kick some prick’s ass!”
Understanding the Reckoning by Shadowlady
The purr of the bike beneath Logan died quickly as he rolled to a stop in front of a tall, stately old brick building. The front yard was well groomed, flowers decorated the walkway, and two large stone lions sat atop the fence on either side of the gate.

Windows polished gleamed in the sun, the sound of children’s laughter filtering through the partially opened glass.

“This it?” Rogue asked sliding off the back of the bike.

“This is where Piotr said to come.” Logan nodded at the unobtrusive sign that rested amongst the greenery and vines near the corner of the front yard. “Dock’s House, home for street kids.”

“Let’s see if they’ll let us in.” Rogue said as she glanced around. Following Logan up the walk she waited impatiently for someone to respond to their summons.

The door slowly opened a crack and a small, scarred boy stared at them. “Yeah?”

“Uh we’re looking for Angel or Piotr.” Rogue smiled warmly at him.

His eyes cut from her to Logan who stared back at him with a closed look upon his face. The boy tilted his head slightly before smiling slightly, “They’s in a meetin’ at the moment. Come in.”

Sharing a glance, Rogue and Logan stepped through the door and came to a stunned halt. The walls were decorated with warm toned wallpaper, pictures of children and toys, and other ‘family’ oriented paintings decorated the stairwell. The fresh lemon smell that came from wood polish filled the air, along with the sounds of running footsteps and children’s voices.

Logan barely had time to catch her as a girl, no more then ten raced around the corner nearly running him and Rogue over. As soon as he grabbed her she tensed, her color bleaching from her face and he let her go.

A moment later two older girls and a young man stepped around the corner looked at them and smiled. “Sally, come along. You’re supposed to be helpin’ Dorine.”

“I don’t wanna.”

“Sally.” The young man injected a note of steal in his voice. “We all have to help out. Miss Angel needs all of us to pitch in.”

“Fine.” Turning the girl stomped up the stairs, her disposition more irritated and cross than welcoming.

“I’m…”

“I know who you are.” One of the girls said, walking up to him. “I saw you before. In Alberta, you came and dropped off some money.”

“Yeah.”

“They call me Witchdoctor. I’m the team leader for the Alberta E-Team.”

“Name’s Logan, this is Rogue.”

She smiled. “Angel and Piotr are upstairs in her suite. Trying to work out the situation. You’re welcome to wait down here amongst the kids or I can show you the way.”

“When are they leavin’?”

“Hard to say. Angel’s pissed even more than usual when it comes to one of her kids gettin’ hurt. Might be ten minutes, might be midnight.”

Logan nodded, glancing at Rogue who shrugged. “I haven’t been here before, would you mind showing us around?” Rogue asked.

“Not at all. Layout is pretty much the same in all her properties. There are four of them in Alberta alone. Two in Selkirk, one in Edmonton, and one up in a small community called Allegiance.” Witchdoctor said sidestepping a running boy. “Wally, remember inside we walk.”

“Sure, sure. I’m late for class though.”

“Well then plan your time a bit better. If you go flying around a corner you might get hurt, or hurt someone.”

The boy nodded and darted off leaving the small group with barely disguised smiles.

“How many kids are here in this building or do you know?” Logan asked.

“Considering this one is the largest in the New York area, until she gets that brownstone she’s after it varies. Most of her shelters house anyone from one hundred to two hundred and fifty kids. This one being so big has a steady population and then a rotating group that can be anywhere from one kid to a hundred. Angel’s pretty particular about providing everyone personal space.”

The stairs beneath them creaked as they walked up them. Once at the top of the landing, Logan looked around. There were a multitude of doors lining the corridor, as well as two doors marked Private. He could smell the hormones of the youngsters on the floor; at least half were at the tail end of their cycle. Along with the familiar smell of a barrage of feminine products.

“Kinda over powers you doesn’t it?” Witchdoctor chuckled. “Now try living with it day in and day out.”

“Why do you do this?” Rogue asked.

“Because,” she paused. “I used to be like them. The only difference was I chose to walk in those shadows. I chose to become disposable. I was three months pregnant when I met Angel, she got me off the street, gave me a home, a sense of wealth. She took care of me and my baby, how could I turn my back on her.”

“Doesn’t it bother you?” Logan demanded. “To see the depths humanity can plunge.”

“No, because we’re all human. Someone has to pay for the sins of those who won’t pay for themselves. All these kids are merely fallen angels; chosen by God to live a life that some will never understand. I’m no fool, I know what they had to go through was rough, I have never condoned it but at the same time I know what it is that they’re suffering for.”

“Wish you could explain it to me.” Logan ground out stepping over a Barbie. He picked it up and stared at the small black lines that marred the perfect body, the signs of an owner who wanted a doll to be as imperfect as she was.

“Come on, I think it’s safe to knock on Angel’s door about now.”

“You want us to come with?”

“No, John it’s okay. Take the boys outside to play ball. Angel wants to have a pizza night, figures it’ll help the boys deal with their strain of tests lately.”

“Gotcha.”

Following wordlessly, Logan and Rogue waited for their guide to knock before leaving. Rogue stared at Logan, catching the ticking muscle in his jaw, the anger in his eyes and moved closer to him.

Both jumped slightly when the door opened and Piotr stood there staring at them. He blinked and shook his head before stepping back and waving them in. As soon as they were inside he closed the door and moved to pick up his shirt.

“Didn’t mean to interrupt.” Logan grunted.

Piotr shrugged, “Angel we got company.”

“Who?”

“Logan and Rogue.”

“Be right there.” Angel called a moment before she appeared in the doorway, a towel wrapped around her head, and a thick white terry-clothe robe upon her body. “Hello again. Uh, I’m sorry I sorta forgot about your stopping in. I have some other business…”

“We’re not here for a tour.” Logan halted her words. “We’re here to help.”

Angel shook her head. “You can’t help us. You don’t know the rules; you don’t understand that what we’re going to do is…”

“Necessary.” Logan interrupted. “That kid didn’t deserve to be brutalized. You sit there and tell me what makes her so worthless that you…”

“We’re not out to see the men put into jail, Logan.” Angel snapped. “We’re going to pass judgment, blood will be spilt. Her pimp allowed them to do that, there is no mercy for that.”

“Good, there shouldn’t be. I’m very good at what I do, and it ain’t rescuing kids. Now you can let me help, or you expect me to get in the way. Which is it going to be?”

Angel looked from him to Rogue and back again before turning to Piotr. “They’re not trained, bring them up to speed. They’ll be with us.”

Piotr nodded and watched her slip back into the bathroom to finish dressing. The moment she was out of sight he turned back to Logan and Rogue. “This is how we do things around here, if you’ve got a problem with it don’t waste our time or your own. There’s the door, don’t slam it on the way out.”

Rogue tilted her chin at him. “What do you want us to do?”

“The teams all have their missions, we’re not out to just get one man. We’re going to take down his entire network. If you’re with us you’re gonna have to be prepared. Don’t think this is easy, there’s gonna be a lot of recon going on between now and dark. I’ll be giving the orders, they come directly from Angel. Once we have all the parties involved we’re going to pass judgment, and for that we’re going to the wharf.”

“What’s the penalty for their crime?” Rogue asked softly.

“Death.” Angel’s flat tone left no room for argument and they all turned to stare at her. Dressed from head to toe in black, she stood there with an expressionless face, her eyes filled with a hardness, a brutality that rivaled Wolverine’s. “We’re expecting an influx of kids of all ages after this. Most of the teams will be on rescue detail. Only a handful will be involved in our task.”

“What do you want us to do?”

“Be prepared to witness brutality.” Angel replied seriously. “I don’t have any mercy for those that would do to these kids what gets done. I have six kids in this house alone that have been infected with an STD. Not to mention that there are several shelters set up specifically for the children of those I’ve rescued. This isn’t like the X-Men, Rogue, this is business, and this is life or death. I don’t care if they’re mutants or not. As long as they’re being forced to walk in the gutters of this world then they’re worth rescuing.”

“Agreed.” Logan nodded, catching the look that passed between Piotr and Angel a moment before they turned back to him. “We’ll follow your lead.”

Angel cracked a slight smile before reaching for an intricate bracelet that lay on her desk. Slipping it on she shook out her wrist and listened to the musical tones before rolling her neck. “Alright, let’s get everyone interested in a ball game or something. I don’t want them to be any more involved they have to be.”

“I’ll order the pizza,” Piotr reached for the phone. “How about a couple of movies. I promised the kids some videos a few weeks back and haven’t found the time…”

“Take Logan and go to the video store. I’ll get everyone organized for the nights events.” Angel said pulling on a long sleeved blouse over her clothes.

Wordlessly, with only a squeeze of her arm, Piotr turned and headed for the door. A nod at Logan and the older man followed suit.

“So.” Rogue started as she turned back to Angel. “What’s the plan for me?”

Angel smiled, a cold, calculating smirk and Rogue shivered with fear. “You, you’re gonna keep Logan under control. Keep him a few feet away from me. I’m not that easily harnessed when I let go of my gift and I wouldn’t want to hurt anyone.”

Rogue nodded, a knot forming in her stomach as she realized that what was coming was worse than anything she’d ever seen. Someone out there was going to die a horrible, painful death and there was nothing she could do to stop it. Seeing the look in Angel’s eyes, Rogue wondered if she would even want to stop it. Something told her that she would be helping to make the kills tonight, and the thought unsettled her.
A Deal with the Devil by Shadowlady
The wind was damp as it blew in off the water and Rogue shivered despite herself. She stared at the old, weathered building that loomed in the shadows. Like some sort of monster. She glanced behind her at the sound of the car door being closed and watched the blonde driver hurry around to the drivers side. A moment later the dark, nondescript sedan pulled away, leaving a lingering smell of exhaust and an eerie silence.

“This way.” Piotr grunted and led the way inside. Walking past piles of crates and mish mashed junk; he headed for their ‘circle’. It was here that the judgment would be past, here that Rogue and Logan would really learn the secrets of the LFAA.

Several bare, low watt bulbs threw muted light across the rough wood floor. A floor that remarkably, had no dust upon it, no tracks of a footstep or two, nothing but the wood and the stains. The deep red stains upon it however told of bloodshed and Rogue’s gaze darted to Logan’s who nodded reassuringly. They would have to be strong, not only for themselves but for those whose lives depended upon the outcome of this night.

Catching a hint of movement, Logan turned to watch as Angel moved into the light. Gone was the classy, graceful woman he’d seen in the past few days. Instead, he was staring at a cold, hard woman. There was a hatred that ran so deeply within her that he wondered how she managed to stay sane even as he heard the creak of a door coming open.

A moment later several groups of men and women streamed in. Amongst them were the battered prisoners of their quest. A rough shove and a man landed on the floor at Piotr’s feet.

Angel moved forward to stare down into the face of the man who haunted the nightmares of more than one child. Using the toe of her boot she tilted his features up to the light and swallowed harshly, her fingers curling into fists as she recognized the man before her.

Fear waged a war with anger and hatred. The soft tinkle of her charms drew her attention slightly before she stepped back and moved away from the pudgy little man on the floor. He’d put on a bit of weight, and his once full head of hair had suffered over the years if his balding head was any indication. His eyes however had changed little. The greed and sick desire still swam within their depths and it irritated her.

“Look I don’t know whatever this is about…”

“No?” Angel stared at Piotr for a moment, the tail of her cloak swirling around her ankles, a deep vicious desire rolling within her gut.

“Hey, I’m sure we can work out a little deal. I mean if it’s cause I took one of your girls…”

Logan growled softly only to be stopped by Piotr’s expression. This was something Angel had to do. Instead he fell silent, waiting, watching to see what would happen.

“What kind of deal?” Angel all but purred.

“I got money. I got girls. Hey, you know fresh merchandise ain’t easy to come by these days. Not with that freak that’s out there stealin’ ‘em. Got a couple of really cute ones, still wet between the legs…if you know what I mean.” He chuckled weakly.

“Indeed I do.” Angel moved closer to Piotr, needing his strength, needing his acceptance. “I want the girls.” She snapped whirling to face the man cowering before her. “How many?”

“Uh how many you want?”

“How many have you got?”

“Sixteen.” He croaked twisting his hands in front of him and looking behind him at his muscle men. “All young, not all been trained though. Picked up one last night…”

“Where?”

“What’s it matter to you?” The low, furious snarl drew everyone’s attention to a tall, muscle-bound man standing glaring at her.

“Where are they?” Angel hissed.

“South of here. Bronx. Got a shack there that I’m using until my place is finished. I can take you to ‘em.” He rattled, his voice fast, unsteady as though he knew he was in too deep with no way out.

“I’ve a better idea.” Angel whispered softly, leaning closer to him. “A much better idea. Find his bawdy house. Bring me the merchandise, and his pathetic guardians.”

With barely a twitch, Witchdoctor and her team slipped away into the shadows, leaving the others to guard those that were being held.

Piotr glanced at Logan and Rogue before sliding a glance at Angel who gave a barely perceptible nod. “Logan, go with them.”

Logan squeezed Rogue’s arm and slipped hurriedly into the shadows.

“Do I know you?” Standing there, trying to avoid pissing his pants, the pimp stared at Angel, a frown on his face as if he was struggling to place her.

Angel barely spared him a glance as she stalked past Piotr. “No one leaves.”

“Watch them.” Piotr bit off and turned to hurry after Angel. He stopped when he saw her, hunched over against a crate, her entire body trembling, and her knuckles white with the force of her grip. “Angel?”

“Why him?” She whispered her voice strained. “Why couldn’t it have been anyone else?”

A frown crossed his face as he tried to think of what she meant. Realization hit him with the force of a sledgehammer and he turned to look behind him before moving closer to the woman he loved.

“You’re not a little girl anymore, you’re a woman. You’re strong; you’ve got the power he’ll never have.” Piotr started.

“And seeing him makes me feel like I’m seven all over again.” Angel muttered raking a hand through her hair. “I despise him; he turns my stomach and all I want is to smash him to bits.”

“What’s stopping you?”

“We need to get those kids first. This can’t be about me.” Angel whispered as he cupped her jaw in his hand. “I can’t allow this to be about me. I’ve grown up, I’m alive and I’ve got so much…”

“You deserve justice just as much as these kids do. Wait for them to arrive if you want, do what you have to for them, but don’t let him win. You’re not a possession or an object. You’re better than that,” Piotr smiled softly. “You’re my woman.”

Angel nodded and brushed the tears from her face. “You’re right. Come on; let’s get this show on the road. The kids’ll be here soon and I don’t want anyone or anything to interfere with their healing.”

Wrapping an arm around her shoulders, Piotr led her back to the circle. As soon as they stepped into the light he dropped his arm and moved to stand next to Rogue. Regardless of what Angel said, these men would die. All he wanted was half an hour alone with the man in front of him and he’d make him pay for ever hurting a child.
Of Monsters and Mayhem by Shadowlady
Author's Notes:
This chapter deals with very dark subject matter (in regards to the underground network of children slaves). Please do not read if you are easily offended or find the subject matter offensive.
Logan stared at the plain looking two story house before him in shock. Children’s toys littered the grassy yard, a swing set sat rocking in a slight breeze, and several small dresses hung on the clothesline.

Once he got past that and really looked at the house he saw the inches of crud on the windowsills, the dirty, fogged in windows, the pale light that filtered through them barely enough to light the window ledges.

“This it?” Logan croaked.

“Yep.” Witchdoctor nodded, “Okay ladies and gents, here’s how its going down. We’re after the kids inside and the guardians. In case you don’t know how this works Logan, I’ll explain. For every four kids there’s usually one guardian. Being as some of these kids are novices there’s probably a higher ratio. There job is to keep the kid there, to stop him or her from running away. To do this they use intimidation, fear, and bribery, whatever they have to. Most of them are armed to a degree…”

“The standard issue for one is a snub nosed .38.” A tall, red haired man with pale blue eyes interjected.

“Thank you Derrek. Most of the guardians have preferences, that’s why they’re so go at what they do. Often times the guardian uses his ‘charges’ as much as the johns, maybe even more.” Witchdoctor paused. “Questions?”

“I think I get the picture.” Logan ground out, his claws itching to make an appearance and shred the sick fuckers inside.

“Remember, Angel wants all guardians alive. Maim, hurt, scar, but do not under any circumstances kill one.”

“What about a John?” Derrek asked.

“She didn’t say anything about ‘em.” Witchdoctor replied with a cruel smile. “Feel free to do whatever you want with ‘em.”

With murmurs of agreement, everyone climbed out of the dark, battered, old van. Keeping to the shadows was easy, especially when the nearest building was a good hundred yards away.

Logan stepped over an overturned tryke and slid toward a window. Inhaling he caught the smell of lust, of fear, and pain and growled softly. He could feel Wolverine wanting out, feel his darker side rising and let go.

Peering into a window he saw several youngsters huddled on the floor dressed in clothes better suited to a woman, their pale, perfect skin on display for anyone to see. He saw a tall, thin man standing talking to another man, his salt and pepper hair combed back from his face.

“Not pretty is it?” Derrek whispered softly as they watched the salt and pepper haired man approach a pretty blonde haired little girl.

Logan snarled as the girl looked up with a dark of fear but didn’t balk when the man took her arm and smiled at her. It was obvious to anyone with eyes what was about to happen and Wolverine took another notch of Logan’s control from him.

“Now!” Witchdoctor called and in a flurry of crashes and splintering wood the doors burst open.

Wolverine heard the screams, saw the kids grabbing for each other as the seven men in the room reached for guns. Grabbing the man closest to him he squeezed his throat until the man was nearly purple before throwing him across the room. Catching sight of the man dragging his ‘prize’ down a hallway, Wolverine darted after him.

Amid the girl’s screams and begging voice, the slam of a door seemed loud to Wolverine as he paused before it. He heard the lock slam into place, heard the sound of fabric tearing and ripped the door from it’s hinges. Splinters and bits of metal went flying everywhere as he lunged through the door, catching the man who’d picked the girl up and was heading for the bed.

A quick move and the girl went scrambling across the floor, her capture on the floor moaning in agony.

Wolverine growled furiously and let his claws slide out. Putting a knee in the man’s chest he leaned forward, pushing his weight into his diaphragm and slowly, oh so slowly suffocating him. When the man was purple, he eased the pressure slightly before his claws went to work.

Five minutes later, covered in blood and gore, he turned to stare at the girl who watched him with wide eyed fear. A low growl and he cracked his neck quickly, his claws disappearing as quickly as they’d appeared.

“You okay?”

The girl swallowed and curled tighter into a ball, the smell of her terror jacking up as he walked toward her.

“I ain’t gonna hurt you.” Kneeling next to her he grabbed for the blanket off the bed and wrapped her in it. “Come on, lets get you somewhere safe.”

“Home?” Tiny, hopeful the whisper did little to assuage the anger racing through Logan’s body as he stood, his tiny cargo in his arms.

“We’ll see.”

Carrying her out into the night, he set her next to the van and opened the door. Looking up he saw the other kids’ faces, most were streaked with tears, a few had bruises, but all held fear and hope. “Come on, in you get. We’ll get you somewhere nobody’s gonna hurt you again.”

After securing her into her seat, Logan stepped back.

“Welcome to our world,” Derrek slapped him on the shoulder. “We’ve got transport over this way.”

“The men watching ‘em?”

Derrek pointed to seven men huddled together, their demeanor like that of the children. “What’s Angel going to do with them?” Logan demanded.

“Make an example of them.”

“How?”

“I don’t know. She never does the same thing twice. Last time we took down a ring like this she castrated all of them and left them hanging in a run down warehouse. We went back a few days later,” Derrek paused and shuddered. “The rats had done their work. This time, I don’t think there’ll be enough left for the rats.”

“Good.”

The drive back to the warehouse was silent, each lost in their own thoughts as they went to face Angel’s wrath. Everyone within the vehicles knew that what was coming was deserved, each had dealt with any guilt long before, but this time they wondered how the man who’d accompanied them would react. Would he condemn or condone them for the deaths that were to come or would they have to explain yet again just what it was they did.
Judgment is passed by Shadowlady
The steady hum of the lights seemed to grow louder the longer they waited. Rogue could feel the tension building; feel the animosity, the rage growing even though everyone of Angel’s people had stony faces.

Shifting she glanced around, noting the way Piotr kept his eye on Angel who paced the confines of the light as though trying to control herself. Each step was filled with banked violence, with a dark need that Rogue couldn’t grasp.

“They’re here.” The soft tone was at odds with the fire in the man’s face as he stepped through the shadows and into the light. “There’s seven.”

Angel nodded quickly and reached for her wrist. She played with the charms, running her nails over each one quickly to remind herself she wasn’t to do anything without thought. She paused as she caught movement and turned to face the incoming bodies.

Rogue swallowed against the bitter scald of bile in the back of her throat as she saw both girls and boys come into sight. They were dressed in scanty clothes, faces painted to hide the bruises, fear had them huddling together as they stared at the man Angel had confronted earlier.

“See? What did I tell ya? They’re all young, not too many miles on ‘em. Hell even a couple of ‘em are still untried.” He prattled on moving toward the children.

“Untainted by your filth.” Angel snarled angrily. “Not hardly. Even I can see you’re a liar, and a thief. So tell me what do you think I should do? What would you do if you were in my shoes?”

“Uh, um…” the man stuttered to stop and turned to stare at the furious blonde before him.

“Don’t tell remember,” Angel hissed walking toward him, her hips swaying a bit more than usual. “Don’t breathe a word of your dirty little secret. After all Mommies don’t understand.”

She paused right in front of him and smirked. “How many more were there, Harry? How many souls did you steal, did you kill before tonight? What’s the matter, you look as though you’ve seen a ghost.”

“I don’t even know you.” He swallowed. “Take ‘em all. I uh, I don’t want no trouble with the locals.”

Angel shook her head slowly. “You never did, you slimy coward. Can’t steal enough from a grown woman, you have to steal from the children around you, huh? Your little shack is in ashes by now, your crimes however, still go on. I want every single house you’ve got. I want to know each and every operation you’re running and I want to know now!”

“Now see here, I ain’t about to tell you where all my operations are. Gotta have an income you know.” He blustered only to gasp as she backhanded him across the face.

“Do not tempt me.” Angel growled. “I would hate to lose my cool in front of my people. However, they’re all familiar with your brand of scum.” She smiled, “So. I’m going to do you a favor. I’m gonna tell you exactly what I think and then I’m gonna walk away. For every night that your victims have suffered, for every dime you’ve made off their bodies, their souls, I sentence you to death. Not just a nice, quick, painless death. I want you to know what it feels like to be a little girl and have a grown man forcing himself into her body. I want you to understand exactly what you’ve done to these children, and I’m going to let that happen.”

“What do you mean?” He whimpered his gaze darting around to the circle of men and women who stared at him with banked rage in their eyes.

Angel shrugged and looked at Piotr before turning back to her stepfather. “Be a good person, Harry. I promise it won’t hurt, and you’ll make me happy. You want to make me happy don’t you? If you’re really good, I’ll buy you some ice cream. But we mustn’t tell Mommy.” She whispered in his ear. “You’re so soft, so pretty. Those eyes, that face.”

Harry paled and stared at the woman who took a step back. He didn’t know what it was that clued him in suddenly but he knew that he’d opened the gates of hell. “You’re Amber’s daughter.”

Angel shrugged and stepped away from him. “Kill him.”

Piotr nodded and met her eyes. “Slow or quick?”

“No. You can’t do this! I’m a…”

“Nothing.” Angel turned to him. “Absolutely nothing. You should have stayed as far from this place, from me as possible. But you didn’t and now I get to decide what happens to you. Make him suffer as much as possible.”

A murmur of agreement swept the Enforcers as their leader and savior vanished into the shadows. They would be nice and wait until she’d slipped away into the night, then they’d play.



As soon as he was certain that Angel had gone, Piotr looked at the whimpering mass in front of him. “So, you like sodomy do you?” He asked smoothly and nodded at one of the boys. “See, I’m not that big a fan of it but then I guess I’m allowed my preference. History has a way of repeating itself.”

“You can’t touch me. You’ll go to prison, they’ll arrest all of you.”

“To do that they’d have to catch us. And we’re very good at what we do.” Piotr ground out grabbing him around the throat and squeezing. “So good that we’ve never been caught. Now then, let’s see how well you like it when you’re on the receiving end of the pain. Bulldog, bring me the chair.”

Slammed into the hard wooden chair, Harry sat there terrified as the big man circled around him. “What are you going to do to me?”

“I’m going to be generous, and follow my orders.” Piotr ground out and looked at Logan for a second. “Take the children to the house, Rogue that means you to. You don’t need to be here.”

“But…”

“It’s best if you go.” Logan agreed softly. “You don’t want to have this on your conscience. We’ll be along as soon as we’re done.”

Rogue glanced between them before nodding and following two of the other women out of the warehouse and into the night. The screams that echoed on the darkness as they crawled into the van chilled her and she glanced behind her at the darkened building.

“Never look back,” a familiar voice said and Rogue turned to face one of the girls she’d seen years before in Selkirk. “You can’t change things, and what’s behind us will give you nightmares.”

“They’re going to kill them aren’t they?”

“In time.”

Rogue shivered again, she wasn’t too sure she could deal with knowing just what happened. Leaning back in her seat she sighed, she would trust Logan this night, trust him to stop Piotr from doing something he would regret later.
A Red Dawn by Shadowlady
The annoying click of the clock was the only sound as Rogue sat alone in the bright kitchen, a cup of lukewarm coffee clasped between her palms. The entire house was silent, calm, and peaceful yet she couldn’t relax. She’d spent the night wide awake, spent the hours wondering what was happening, if Logan was okay.

A soft sound drew her attention and she watched Angel walk into the room. Dressed in nothing but a pair of sweats and what was obviously Piotr’s shirt the other woman looked nothing like the polished creature Rogue was used to seeing. Her face was blotchy, swollen, silent witness to the tears that had been shed during the night.

“You okay?” Rogue whispered, loathed to break the silence.

“Will be.” Angel replied reaching for a cup and pouring a coffee for herself. “How ‘bout you?”

“Tired of waiting, wondering.” Rogue fidgeted. “How do you do this? How can you be so cold one moment and yet be so loving, be so understanding toward these kids?”

Angel shrugged and looked at her, “Because I know these kids. I was one. I didn’t run away because I was a mutant, I ran away to escape the sick pervert my mother married. See I’m not as generous as you think.”

“You give more to these kids than anyone ever has” Rogue disagreed before changing the subject. “The ones that were brought in last night, what happens to them?”

“Depends. If there are parents that want them, love them enough to go through hell to get ‘em back they’ll go home. If not, they’ll be placed within the system. They’ll grow up somewhere far away from New York State. Most of these kids will be sent west, split into separate groups, separate homes.”

“You built all of this because Logan gave you a hand up?” Rogue gaped at her, beyond amazed that what most would consider trash had the capacity to be so open hearted, especially considering her background. “That seems a bit…”

“I had nothing else to do. I’m tired Rogue, tired of watching babies dying, of seeing kids getting hurt, getting treated like objects. You have no idea what it means to know that you are nothing more than a piece of plumbing. I pray you never understand it.”

Both women turned to the window at the sound of a car door closing, tensing as they waited to find out if it was bad or good. They breathed a sigh of relief when Piotr and Logan walked through the door looking tired, rumpled but otherwise fine.

Catching the look in Logan’s eyes, Rogue wondered if she really wanted to ask what had happened. There was a haunted look, a deep sadness that fed a ready temper and a simmering anger he was barely keeping in check.

“Judgment?” Angel asked softly.

“Enforced.” Piotr moved to hold her, “Completely. Any trace was disposed of, even the floor got wiped.”

Angel smiled weakly, “I’m gonna check on the kids…”

“You can sleep now,” Piotr touched her cheek gently. “You need it.”

Angel searched his expression for a moment before nodding, “I’ll just check on the kids before I got to bed. Coffee’s fresh and hot if you want it.”

“Why don’t you go on up,” Logan suggested looking at an exhausted Rogue. “Piotr said you were probably given a room.”

“I want to know…”

“No. You don’t.” Piotr replied nudging her out of the chair. “Go. Logan’ll be up as soon as he’s unwound enough.”

Rogue looked between the two men before she turned and hurried out of the room. She didn’t want to know the details of what had happened; all she wanted was the man she loved back safe and sound.


When both women were safely out of hearing distance Logan turned to Piotr. “You gonna answer my question?”

“No. Not mine to tell.”

“Bullshit.” Logan growled. “You ripped him apart, you used your mutation against a human in a way that even Creed couldn’t have done. You allowed your emotions to get the better of you and there is no way you did that just for those kids.”

Piotr shrugged, “Is it so important that you know…”

“Yes it is. If you don’t know it yet, I’ll explain it. One day you’re gonna wake up in a cold sweat thinking, oh my god what have I done. You’re a good man Piotr; you need a reason to act that way. You’ve always been an honest person, don’t hide behind a lie – especially when its yourself you’re lying to because it don’t work.”

“My reason just walked upstairs to go to bed.” Piotr poured a coffee. “She’s everything in this world that I want. It’s taken me a long time to get her to trust me, a long time for her faith in men to be restored and I won’t let anyone or anything jeopardize that.”

“Who was he?”

“He made her what she was when you picked her up.” Piotr whispered painfully. “Nightmares, scars, and all. He took a happy, beautiful little girl and made her into a bitter, twisted, thing that could be used. Only he didn’t get what he thought he was getting. I had every right to rip his heart out and I’m not ashamed for killing him.”

Logan nodded slowly, understanding dawning. Monsters like that never went backwards. Once they began their sick crimes, they only got worse until they were stopped. “Get some sleep.”

“Does this change how you see me? How you see us?” Piotr paused in the doorway.

Logan stared at him for a moment. He could see the fear and the uncertainty in the tall Russian’s frame and sighed. “Not in the way you think it does.”

With a quick nod, Piotr disappeared into the rest of the house leaving Logan to his thoughts and a half finished pot of coffee. The lines had been drawn in blood, the end result would no doubt be costly but would he change the way things played out? Knowing what those men had been doing, Logan shook his head. He couldn’t stop someone from doing what needed doing, even if it meant that the gutters ran red.
What the hell were you doing? by Shadowlady
Rubbing his knuckles, Logan stepped past two giggling girls in the corridor and barely stopped a growl. They’d been back since mid-morning, leaving Piotr in the city. Logan could still remember the look upon Piotr’s face as he literally tore that man apart. The pure, unadulterated rage, the disgust, and beneath it the pain and acceptance of why he was killing him.

Logan stepped into the kitchen and reached for the fridge handle.

“There you are.” Jean’s voice held censure and banked anger.

“Where else would I be?” Logan grunted angrily. “Somethin’ you wanted?”

“Charles would like a word with you. When you can spare a moment.” Jean hissed and turned to stalk out of the room.

Beer in hand, Logan headed for the massive, oak lined office Charles called his. He didn’t want to hear whatever was on the other man’s mind, not right now when all he wanted was to kick some ass but he figured he’d better tow the line.

“Chuck.” Logan sank into a chair, fully aware of Scott, Jean, and Ororo in the room with the man sitting behind his massive desk.

“We need to talk.” Charles said leaning back. “I am aware of your need for violence, and most of the time I’ve turned a blind eye to your going out to fight in those cages you like to fight in. This time, however, I must remind you that you are not in a position to…”

“Get to the point.” Logan grunted angrily as he stared at him. He could all but taste the disapproval, and the looks exchanged left no doubt that they’d either caught part of his thoughts or someone had followed him.

“You killed a man last night. You butchered him with all the precision of a butcher.” Jean snarled. “He had a wife, three children…”

“He deserved it.” Logan ground out.

“No one deserves to be butchered like that, Logan. What the hell were ou thinking? You attacked him in his home. Or did the presence of toys not bother you?” Scott demanded.

Inhaling a long breath, Logan tried to control his temper as the realization of what this meaning hit him fully. Rising to his feet he glared at the team leader for a moment before casting a glance around the room. “He deserved what he got, and I’d do it all over again.”

“If you can’t control your penchant for destruction Logan, you need to rethink being here. This is a school, there are impressionable young minds…”

With a low snarl, Logan had Scott pinned to the wall, his claws on either side of the other man’s throat. “You think you’ve got all the answers don’t you? Black or white, not a spot of grey in there huh?” He growled low. “Guess what, you’re so far off fuckin’ base that it’s not even funny. I did the world a favor and I don’t feel an ounce of remorse.”

“You can’t just attack people without justification. Especially humans!” Charles snapped angrily.

Turning to Charles, Logan slammed Scott against the wall and tightened his grip as a knock came at the door.

“Come.” Charles all but barked.

“Sorry to bother y’all.” Rogue started catching sight of Logan and the sizing the situation up quickly. “Angel’s on the phone, Logan.”

With a low snarl, Logan dropped Scott and reached for the phone in Rogue’s hand. “Hello.”

“My you sound cheerful.” Angel’s voice rolled smoothly through the line. “Piotr’s gonna be staying for a couple of days. Can you cover for him?”

“Why?” Logan demanded.

“That John you dealt with had a family. I’ve been doing some digging, and he had a daughter and two sons. I’ve made arrangements for a friend of mine to go see them. If what I suspect is true…”

“You want the extra weight.” Logan stated calmly.

“They don’t usually avoid the easiest, cheapest form of entertainment.” Angel whispered. “And she is of the age.”

“He’s picking up a few extra shifts then. What about you?”

“I have sixteen children to get to safety, and one doctor. Right now things are so bloody hectic that I’m doing paperwork while I’m talking to you. I uh, I hope you’re not too upset with us…”

“Fuck no.” Logan stared at Rogue. “You’re doing what needs done. Let me know if you need me to pick up a shift.”

“Thank you, Logan but I don’t think that dragging you into this mess is a good idea. You have a good woman who probably doesn’t want to be spending her time worrying about some cracked pimp or pissed john tryin’ to kill ya.”

Logan chuckled, “You’d have to ask her. I’ll take care of any problems this end.”

“Good. Piotr feels kinda bad about leavin’ you high and dry but…”

“The kid’s gotta do what he thinks needs doing.” Logan replied. Just tell him if he needs anything to let me know.”

“Will do. Thank you Logan.”

“Don’t think you’re going anywhere Logan,” Charles’s voice halted him in front of Rogue who took the phone and smiled sadly.

“Why is it so damn bad that I killed that bastard?”

“Because you should know better. We’re on the edge of a war and all you’re thinking of is getting your bloodlust settled.” Charles retorted calmly, his hands folded on his desk.

“Really? Did you ever think that maybe, just maybe there was a reason for killing that son of a bitch? Do you think I just go for random acts of violence?”

“Yes.” Scott snapped. “You’re uncontrolled, dangerous, homicidal…”

Growling a warning, Logan glared at Scott for a moment before rolling his neck, cracking it easily. “Don’t tempt me boy, I’ve got nothing to lose and if you think I’m gonna listen to you tell me I’m wrong for doing what was right you got another think comin’.”

“We value your skills and your presence here at the mansion, Logan. Because of that we cannot allow random acts of murder…”

“He deserved it!” Logan snarled getting in Charles face. “If you think I’m lying take a look in my head. See what that sick fuck was about to do, what he’s been doing for a long ass time. You take a look and tell me you wouldn’t have done the same thing.”

Stalking across the room, Logan tore the door open. “Rogue and I’ll be outta your hair by tonight. Wouldn’t want to ruin your precious rose-colored view of things.”

Charles jumped at the slam of the door, the paintings on the wall shaking with the force of Logan’s anger. Glancing at the other Alpha team members he sighed. “Scott you followed him, what did you see?”

“There was so much confusion. By the time I got there all I saw was Logan getting into a vehicle and the remains on the floor of that man’s house.”

“I think we need to reassess. Go back there, tear the place apart. There had to be a reason that Logan would go psycho.”

Scott nodded, his expression already telling Charles he wasn’t too keen on proving himself wrong in his snap judgment of Logan.


There was anger in every stride as Logan stalked toward his room. Slamming into the room he saw Rogue glance up from the books in front of her and growled low.

“What was that all about?” Rogue asked softly.

“They found that prick.” Logan ground out. “Get this, they followed us. Scotty-boy followed me out to that shit hole and still believes I just went all animal and butchered that freak.”

Rogue paled and rose to move closer to him. “What are we going to do?”

“The only thing we can do. We have to give Angel a heads up to watch out for Xavier and his band of merry freaks, and then we need to get the hell outta here. I’m not putting their dreams above the wellbeing of a child.”

Rogue nodded, “I’ll call Angel, and you get us packed up. Maybe Angel could point us in the direction of a place to stay.”

Logan nodded slowly, a thought coming to himslowly. “What’s in the bank?”

“I don’t know.” Rogue shrugged. “Fifteen or sixteen grand. Why?”

“The old brownstone. Angel’s been trying to buy it for a while now. I’ll call the realtor, give ‘em the extra money and…”

“You told me that Angel didn’t want you paying…”

“What she don’t know won’t hurt her.” Logan smiled sadly. “Besides, they need the space.”

Rogue nodded and reached for her cell phone. She just hoped that things went okay because otherwise, someone was going to get seriously hurt.
Discovering the Truth by Shadowlady
Author's Notes:
Scott discovers just how wrong he's been, and it shakes him to the bone. :)
Scott parked the car in the shadows of a massive willow tree and stared at the weathered building before him. He could see the busted doors, see the windows that had been smashed, the blood that scored the walls, and felt more than a little uneasy. Whoever, or whatever, had caused Logan to snap could still be in the area.

Exhaling, he got out of the car and walked up the steps. Taking care not to step on the toys, on the signs of life he moved through the splintered doorway and into the foyer. A blood stained couch, two chairs, a coffee table, and a thick leather bound book were all that occupied the space.

Scott walked through the broken glass, the shards crunching beneath his feet as he moved slowly through the tangled mess. Bending he picked up the book and flipped it open. The first page seemed ordinary, a picture of a couple with several children. Each wore an easy smile, a look of familial peace; it appeared to be nothing more than a posed family portrait.

Flipping the page he stared at the painted little girl. Her blue eyes stared back at the camera, her lips were twisted in a smile, but it was the heavy makeup that covered her pale skin that sickened him. Instead of wearing some cute little dress that any other child would be wearing, she was dressed in lace, and garters, her hands folded demurely in her lap. With a sickening twist in his guts, Scott realized what the album was. Throwing it down as though it would bite him he swallowed the harsh taste of bile rising within his throat.

A heavy silence filled the house as he moved down the hallway, past doors painted in a multitude of colors. With a hand that trembled he opened the first door and stepped into the room. Decorated for a little boy, there were games, cars, trucks, balls tossed about recklessly. Sitting in the middle of the room however, was a massive king sized bed.

Diving past the partially opened door, Scott leaned over the toilet and wretched painfully, losing the contents of his stomach. Wiping his face, he leaned on the wall for a moment before trudging through the rest of the house.

An hour later, Scott sat on the damp grass, every muscle in his body trembling like crazy. Grasped in his hands was all the evidence of what Logan had stopped. He held the boxes of condoms, customer lists, the acts that were required, and several DVD’s with crude writing on them; things that no one in their right mind would every associate with a child.

“They’re gone. Rescued from men like you? Men that use children, babies for their own sick…”

“I’m not one of them.” Scott croaked.

“No? Let me guess it sickens you to know about it.”
Silky, tender the voice had him whipping around to stare at a tall, boyish looking young woman with short cropped black hair.

“What?”

“What they were doing here? The price that those kids were paying to exist without really being alive.”

“Who the hell are you?” Scott rose shakily to his feet, anger and revulsion warring within his body.

The girl smiled softly, “Nobody that you need to be concerned about. So who are you, if you’re not one of the johns?”

“Doesn’t matter who I am.” Scott replied sadly. “I knew someone who stopped this. Who was here the night that the blood was spilt.”

“Oh? Who? Angel or one of her Enforcers?”

Scott stared at the girl as she walked over to him and took the photo album from his cold hands. She stared at the pages carefully, a pain in her eyes he didn’t understand. “What’s it to you?”

“Forgive me. My name’s Bethany. And I’m or rather was one of these children.” She whispered painfully. “My mother trusted him, allowed him into our lives, into her heart, her home, her bed. It wasn’t enough, when she was killed in a car accident I learned what hell really was. I left the first chance I got, snuck into one of the dates’ car. By the time he realized I was there, we were parked in his driveway.” She laughed a cold, humorless sound. “His wife wasn’t too happy about it.”

“Surely she didn’t think…”

“Kinda hard not to know what was what. I as half naked painted up like some two-bit whore, with semen running down my legs.” Bethany replied and stared at him. “It doesn’t matter anymore.”

Scott watched in silence as she took the book, tucked it into a bag he hadn’t noticed and turned to vanish back into the shadows. “Wait! Help me understand.” Scott pleaded quickly. “I don’t know how to…”

“Come on.” Reaching out, Bethany took his hand and led him over to her car. With him in the passenger seat, she started the engine, turning the heater on full blast and headed for the small, well kept house she occupied.

Ushering him inside, Scott gratefully accepted the offer of a drink and settled on her couch. Sitting there nursing the drink she poured, he watched her move around the room, depositing the book, the box of items he’d taken in a large bin without saying a word. It was only when she poured him another tall glass of whiskey that he seemed to come out of his stupor.

“So, Doesn’t Matter, why were you searching that house? It’s going to be destroyed.”

“To find answers, to know the man I thought I knew, but have no clue about.” Scott whispered taking a long swallow of the harsh liquor and relishing the burn. He finished the drink and held his glass up, “Another?”

“Sure.”

Two hours later Scott sat on the floor, staring at the woman in front of him with a look of askance. The chill of his discovery hadn’t left him, the knowledge that he’d judged a good man too harshly ate at him, and all he wanted was to forget, to have a moment of reprieve.

The soft smile on Bethany’s face as he reached for her, only made his heart hurt more. Whispering an apology he kissed her softly, tasting the booze on her lips as much as his own. Groaning at the easy surrender of the woman in his arms, the alcoholic haze blocked his inhibitions and Scott allowed himself to fall.
A chance taken brings it's own rewards by Shadowlady
Angel paused in the open doorway of her suite and stared. The room had been covered in candles, and a gentle romantic music played softly. Standing at the foot of the bed was a silver bucket full of ice, with a long necked bottle sticking out.

“Piotr?” She called, closing and locking the door.

“Hey baby,” Piotr stepped out of the bathroom, a pair of black pants pulled on, his chest and feet bare. “How was the meeting with the real estate agent?”

“Good. Seems she made an error in figuring.” Angel dropped her coat and purse on a chair and smiled at him. “Got the brownstone for less than what she said last time.”

“How much less?”

“Ten grand.” Angel giggled softly, “Seems the owner figured that a loss that big wasn’t so big. I have the paperwork notarized, the keys and we can move in as soon as I can get the place cleaned out.”

“Congratulations.” Piotr smiled at the excitement in her voice and moved to hold her. “Now then, lets celebrate.”

“What do you mean? How did you know that I got…?”

“I didn’t.” Piotr admitted softly. “I had other plans for tonight.”

“Oh?” Angel giggled softly, “You and your plans.” She let him pull her blouse off her shoulders, watching the pale silk fly across the room to land on a chair. She shivered at the feel of his calloused fingertips on her skin. Moaning softly as he traced over her tattoos softly, following the delicate lines.

Her breath hitched as she felt him press hot, open mouthed kisses to her back, his tongue darting out to lick at the ink marred flesh before moving down. Every muscle in her body tensed when he pressed a kiss to her lower back, a few inches above the crack of her ass.

“Shh, it’s just me.” She felt more than heard Piotr’s soft whisper as he moved along the faint scar, pressing kiss after kiss to it. It had been a long hard road, and she was still a bit uneasy with him exploring that part of her anatomy, but she trusted Piotr not to hurt her. Forcing any bad memories from her mind she focused instead on the soft, loving caress of Piotr’s fingers against her.

Stepping out of her skirt and lace panties she shivered as he lifted her into his arms and started for the bed. Tonight was about them, about closing the world out and she was determined to enjoy it. Pressing a kiss to his lips she groaned as he deepened it, welcoming the love he showed.


Piotr blinked groggily at the soft knocking on the door, before he glanced down at the woman in his arms and sighed. Rolling over he checked the digital clock and groaned. With a shake of his head, he crept from the bed, pulling on a pair a sweats he stalked over to the door and opened it a crack.

“What is it?” He muttered angrily.

“Bethany called, said she’d drop off the evidence tomorrow.” One of the older boys said. “Said some guy was sniffin’ around the house to.”

“I’ll get Angel to talk to her tomorrow. She’s sleepin’ at the moment and I’m not about to wake her up.”

“You ask her yet?” He asked.

“No, not yet. Kinda got a bit sidetracked.”

The young man chuckled, “With a woman as fine as that, I’d get sidetracked to. Night, Tin-Man. Good luck.”

Piotr closed the door softly and turned to find Angel on one elbow, her blue eyes steady on him. “I was hoping to avoid waking you.”

“I’m a light sleeper,” Angel whispered. “Come back to bed. It’s still too early to get up.”

Piotr smiled and walked back to the bed, shedding his sweats he slid under the covers and rolled over to pull her closer to him.

“What did Joe want you to ask me?” Angel whispered sleepily.

“Wanted to know if I’d asked you to marry me yet,” Piotr replied already slipping back into sleep. “Told him not yet.”

“And why the hell not?” Angel punched him on the shoulder. “That’s what this was about wasn’t it? You were going to propose tonight.”

“Well yeah,” Piotr flushed slightly. “But there’s so much going on I…”

“Listen, you thick headed male,” Angel stared at him for a moment before grinning like a fool. “YES! Yes, I’ll marry you!”

Piotr rolled, pinning her beneath him and stared down into her face. Happiness and peace danced within the blue of her eyes, and a smile rested upon her face. “What about the kids? What about the organization? I don’t want to see you throwing it away because of some noble idea that…”

“Do you want me to quit?” Angel whispered hesitantly.

“No. I want to keep doing what we’re doing. I want to build an organization that’s even bigger than we are in. I want to offer more than just a moment’s fix, I want to work with you to solve the bigger problem. Instead of just pullin’ kids outta the gutters, I wanna build something that shows that they don’t have to step into ‘em at all.”

“Good. Then let’s do that.” Angel whispered softly, “Right after we figure out how to get that bloody brownstone up and running.”

“I have a pretty good idea.”

“Let’s talk about it tomorrow.” Angel whispered cupping his jaw, “Right now, I want you to make love to me until we’re both too tired to even think about talkin’.”

“You’re wish is my command.”


Logan groaned at the faint sunlight that crept across the room, disturbing his sleep as he sat up. A glance to his right told him, Rogue still slept soundly and he slid from the bed. Stalking barefooted across the room he stood at the window and stared out over the bustling morning.

“Mmm, Logan?” Rogue’s voice had him turning to stare at the woman in their bed.

“Right here, baby. What’s wrong?”

“Nothing.” Rogue crawled out of bed. “Just not used to sleeping in this bed. Do you think we should go see Angel? Maybe she’ll find us a place, one close to the operations.”

“I thought about that.” Logan admitted pulling her in his arms, her back pressed against his chest. “I think we should get a place in that brownstone she was after. That way we could be there in case of trouble. It’s a large place, I’m sure we could make a reasonable apartment outta a room or two.”

“I’ll put it to her.” Rogue sighed. “You still upset about the X-men and their reaction to what happened?”

“No. They had no idea what went on in that place, no idea what life is like for those that don’t have a lot of options, a lot of money. I’m not worried about it.” Logan replied. “Come on, lets get some breakfast then we’ll go over and see Angel.”


Twenty minutes later, Logan unlocked the door of his battered truck and held it for Rogue. A soft sound behind him had him whipping around to stare into the dark eyes of a young woman he’d met a couple of times before.

“Bethany, you’re up early.”

A sad smile crossed her face, “Here.” She held out the dark green plastic container with all the evidence. “See that Angel gets it.”

“Where’s it from?”

“The last take down. Took it from some guy.”

“Tell me you didn’t break the rules.” Logan growled. “Angel is unbending when it comes to turning tricks.”

“I didn’t turn a trick.” Bethany shrugged, “Got an itch scratched, and managed to get the goods all at the same time.”

“Who was he?”

“Didn’t get his name. Wear’s red glasses though. Didn’t even take ‘em off when we got into bed.”

Casting a glance at Logan, Rogue sighed. “Scott.”

“Probalby.” Logan inhaled slightly and growled. “Exactly who it was. Wonder what he was sniffin’ ‘round for.”

“Whatever it was, he wasn’t in good shape when I found him. Watched him for a good hour before I approached him. Pretty boy ain’t got the stomach for reality. Spent a good chunk of time pukin’ before he came out, then he sat on the cold, wet grass until I walked up to him.”

“We’ll get this to Angel.” Logan promised setting the box nside the cab. “Make sure the house is gone. I don’t even want to think there’s a timber left standing.”

“Consider it done.” Bethany replied before blending into the crowd and vanishing leaving Rogue and Logan staring at each other.

“Keep your eyes open, kid. No tellin’ what they’ll do.” Logan ordered and climbed into the truck. With Scott aware of what had happened in that tiny house, it could go either way. A bad feeling raced up his spine and he shuddered, nothing ever good came of disillusionment – especially when the one being made to see was a good two-shoes who might just take it upon themselves to make the perverts face the justice system.
Finding the Faith by Shadowlady
From where they sat, Logan, Rogue, and Piotr watched Angel as she moved through the bodies like a whirlwind. The early morning sun reflected off the gold jewelry she wore, dancing with the hand crafted cross that hung from her throat.

“I didn’t think she was religious.” Logan glanced at Piotr.

“She isn’t. This is something that she does for the kids.” Piotr shifted uncomfortably as he watched his fiancé standing toe to toe with a young man with twenty pounds and six inches on her. “Keeps saying that we need to have this, that we need acceptance.”

“She must be devastated.” Rogue sniffed, her face buried in a handkerchief.

Piotr glanced at the tall, beautiful woman to his right and sighed. “She takes each loss personally.”

With the majority of the shelter’s residence in place, a heavy silence fell over the group as they all bowed their heads in prayer. Standing next to the beautifully carved casket Angel seemed touched by the shadows, yet not of them. Her blonde hair was pulled back into a thick twist, her face done to perfection with makeup and a deep sorrow in her eyes. Black lips moved slowly, as she began to speak.

“We are gathered here to offer a prayer, a moment of kindness for those who have fallen before us.” She started. “To each life there must come a trial, and a tribute. We have all seen that good can come from evil that we can walk among the light without fear, without disgrace. Yet for ever soul that He gives us, he must take one back. Today we say goodbye to a dear friend, a child who lost more than anyone could be expected to. Angels don’t belong on earth, and sometimes, sometimes, Heavenly Father, you call them home.”

Amid the soft sobs she paused and looked around, her eyes falling on each of the kids, each of the adults, “We ask that you accept this angel back into your flock. She fell a long time ago, but she had a soul as beautiful as any angel ever could. She was young, and destined to be a great person but the act of another took her from us. We beseech thee, oh God, please, give back to her what was stolen, let her have her wings and let her fly. We can not hope to give her more than your embrace. Amen.”

“Amen.” The collective word was filled with sorrow as everyone clung together, their gaze on the small box being lowered deep into the ground.

Turning her head, Rogue sobbed openly into Logan’s shoulder. The little girl had been so young, and she’d paid for the sins of adults with her life too soon. A flame that had been snuffed out before it’s time.

“Why?” Rogue whispered brokenly. “Why are people so cruel? So sick?”

“Who knows?” Piotr shrugged and patted her back awkwardly. “They just are. Come on.”

One by one, those that had gathered dropped flowers and small teddy bears into the whole, paying respect to a child who had never had a chance to be one. Catching Angel’s eyes Rogue shivered at the banked fury and cold hatred that filled them with the sorrow, the tears. As usual, the other girl had taken this death personally and it showed.

“Barts or Hilton?” Piotr asked softly.

Angel smiled sadly and sniffed, “Neither. Home. There is a lot of work to do and…”

“Home it is.” Piotr wrapped an arm around her shoulders, leading her away from the slowly filling grave. They would do as they normally did a routine that was both costly and unhealthy.

“We’ll head over to the house.” Logan stopped next to his truck. “With so much work needing to be done, we’ll take the older kids to the brownstone. I think everyone needs a bit of a break.”

Angel nodded and slid into the car they’d arrived in.

Piotr glanced at Logan, “We’re going to head for the apartment. It’s not exactly a moment of celebration and she’s not going to be any good to anyone soon.”

“You have to figure something else to do. You can’t drink yourselves into oblivion.” Rogue whispered.

Piotr smiled sadly, “We aren’t going to drink. She’s headed for another inch on her tattoo.”

“Why?”

“She failed.”

“She didn’t kill that kid. AIDS did.” Rogue protested. “A disease given to her by some sick bastard who paid a few dollars more to go bareback.”

“Doesn’t matter. She’d heal ‘em all if she could. This is something she does, a penance if you will for her failures.”

Logan snorted and helped Rogue into his vehicle. “You’ll be around though?”

“Yeah. We’ll be around. I’ll call later.”


Sitting next to Angel, Piotr watched the cars and buildings as they went by. He could hear the tremble in her breathing and knew she was in pain. Reaching out he pulled her close and held her, letting her cry against his chest.

“We can’t keep doing this.” She whispered painfully. “We can’t keep burying them.”

“I know.” Piotr whispered. “What else can we do?”

Angel shuddered and clung to him, her fingers tight in his coat lapels. She didn’t know what she could do to stop the carnage but she would think of something. She had to.

Piotr nodded to Jack and ushered Angel up the stone steps to their home away from home. It wasn’t much, a simple one room apartment but it worked for them. As soon as the door was closed, he watched her shed her coat, her fingers working the buttons on her blouse loose.

“What’ll it be?” Piotr asked walking across the room to the window and staring down at the bustling city beyond the glass.

“Coffee.” Angel replied as she reached for a simple t-shirt and pair of jeans. “I don’t have the energy to drink today.”

Hiding a smile, Piotr set to work making a pot. A few minutes later he settled next to her on the couch and handed her a steaming mug. “So what do you want to do?”

“We need to come up with an idea to help fix the problem.” Angel sighed. “We can’t just keep putting a bandage on it.”

“So how do we prevent the problem from arising in the first place?”

Angel sighed, her head falling back against the cushions of the couch. “We educate, we moderate. Then we kill ‘em all.”

Piotr shook his head at her threat, she would do it to. She was at the end of her emotional rope and she needed something to focus on, something to give her her faith back. “Okay so we educate. Next month we’ve got a Friday night that we could um use as a fundraiser/education night. Why don’t we organize a massive dinner and we’ll get some of these kids to get up and talk?”

“No one is going to pay money to come listen to a teenage whore talk.”

“Oh, I think there might be. If we can get someone from Xavier’s to agree to attend and use that connection I think you’d find that we’d have a sold out function.”

“Could we organize something that big though?” Angel rose and began to pace. “We’d need tables, servers, food, drink, licensing, all the stuff…”

“We have all that. We have two hundred kids in this city that live with us. If you give them something to do, say this is what we’re doing we can do this. Give Rebecca a task, a job. Tell her to organize servers for two hundred people from those that live with us and I guarantee you, we’ll have servers dressed in black tuxedos and not a one would look trashy or cheap. Let the younger ones do those napkin things, give them a chance to be more than a victim and they’ll show you they can do it.”

Angel stared at him, a brief flash of anger in her eyes a moment before she pushed it ruthlessly aside. “Okay. Now we have to figure out how we’re going to feed two hundred people, how we’re going to supply drinks for that many within the next four weeks.”

Piotr smiled at the look on her face, his Angel’s faith was slowly being restored. She had a long way to go, it wasn’t a quick fix but it was a start. Given time, and something to focus on and she’d be back to being the woman he knew she could be, the woman he loved so desperately.
Understanding comes painfully slow by Shadowlady
The doors of the small, rough looking bar were a welcome sight as Scott parked his bike. In the week since he’d gone back to that house, his life had spiraled out of control. To his teammates he was still the same old, reliable, steady, Scott Summers, but inside, inside he knew differently.

Every time he closed his eyes he could see the pictures, see the blatant evidence of the crimes that had been done and nothing could erase it. Both Professor Xavier and Jean had tried to get him to open up about what he found, but he wouldn’t. How did you tell someone that a man you’d written off as evil, as an untamed animal, was more of a man than you were? How could he reveal that Logan had butchered that man for raping a child when it meant that he had to admit he’d been wrong about Logan? He didn’t know and sought relief in the one place he could. The bottle.

Stepping inside he paused a fraction of a minute as the patrons turned and eyed him before turning back to their own misery. From across the room he caught sight of a familiar face and nodded slightly.

“What’ll it be, Shades?” Bethany asked strolling up to him and smiling.

“Whatever ya got that’s strong.” Scott muttered and grabbed her arm. “You got plans for later?”

“No.” Bethany shrugged, “but I’m willin’ to be convinced.”

Scott smiled and let her go. He watched her walk away, his eyes on her hips as he settled into a dark corner. He had no idea how long he sat there when he heard the door open and silence fall. Turning his head he frowned, catching sight of the tall, muscular man who strode into the room.

“Hey Barry,” Deep, rough, the voice was thick with an accent as the man settled at the bar. “You got any of that bourbon the boss likes?”

“Now Sam ya know I ain’t a liquor store.”

“I know,” the man laughed. “And you know the boss ain’t gonna come inside and buy it herself.”

“How is that girl of yours doing?”

“Boss is fine. Getting married in a couple of months.”

“Who’s the lucky bastard?” The bartender drawled as he dusted off a bottle he pulled from beneath the bar.

“That tall Russian she comes by with.”

A frown crossed the bartender’s face for a moment before he grinned, “You mean that polished spoon caught her?”

“Yep.” Sam nodded as Bethany approached the bar. “Hey, darlin’ you need a ride home?”

“Naw.” Scott watched her smile warmly at the tall man, “I got one already lined up.”

Sam’s head turned to the corner, Bethany indicated and he raised an eyebrow at the slick looking man with shades sitting nursing a tall drink. He turned back to Bethany and swore, “Please tell me ya ain’t plannin’ on fuckin’ him. Angel will have your ass.”

“He ain’t a trick.” Bethany whispered softly, too low for anyone else to hear. “And if it gets us some intel what does it matter?”

“Be careful. Leave the rear porch light on. If there’s trouble just turn it off and I’ll be there.”

“Sam I don’t need you watching over me. I can take care…”

“I know you can. That ain’t an issue. I just don’t wanna wake up tomorrow morning and find you dead on the floor. Do it for me.” Sam paid for the expensive bottle and rose.

“Fine. But don’t go getting any ideas.”

Sam chuckled and tapped her nose. “Ideas are for people who have a future. I don’t.”

Shaking her head Bethany watched her teammate disappear out the door. Turning to Barry she put in her order and waited for him to put the drinks on her tray.

The sound of an engine roaring filled the bar as the doors swung open again and Scott shifted uneasily as he caught sight of who had come into the bar. He watched Logan stroll up to the bar and sit on one of the stools.

“What’ll it be?” Barry’s deep voice carried over the crowd’s rumble.

“Beer.” Logan glanced over his shoulder in the mirror and saw a familiar figure sitting in the shadows. “And another of whatever Shades is drinkin’.”

“So, what brings you down to the slums?” Logan demanded sitting across from Scott and eying him with barely concealed ill will.

“Fuck off Logan.” Scott ground out waving his glass at Bethany and hoping Logan would vanish.

“No can do. Seems you’ve been poking your nose in where it don’t belong.” Logan leaned forward. “You think you’ve got it all figured out huh?”

“I’m not in the mood to listen to you gloat,” Scott ground out. “I have things to do and people to see.”

“Fuck that shit. You think because you’re Xavier’s little choir boy I’m gonna go easy on ya?” Logan chuckled humorless. “Guess again. Now I figure since I bought you a drink, you can at least listen to me.”

“I don’t want to fight with you Logan, I’ve got better things…”

“She ain’t some cheap tramp you can fuck with.” Logan hissed as Bethany moved away from them. “She’s not a toy. You wanna have a little fun go see Jean.”

Scott glared at Logan for a moment before the fight left him. “Jean doesn’t have a clue.”

“What’s the matter? You find a kink you’re into and Jean won’t fill it for you?”

“Jean could fill any need I had with a thought,” Scott admitted. “She just can’t erase what I saw.”

Logan sat back and reached for his beer. “What was that?”

“They were little babies, Logan. Was there even one in that book that was past puberty?”

“No.”

“You knew that though, you knew what was going on there. You killed him because he was what? Their pimp? Their owner?”

“He was a john.” Logan replied steadily. “He’d already made his purchase.”

Scott paled slightly and reached for his drink. “How do you do it? How do you live with the knowledge of what was happening there?”

Logan glanced around him, his eyes taking in the others in the bar before he turned back to Scott. “I kill ‘em. Everyone that I cross paths with, each and every one of them sick bastards that destroy the innocent for their own pleasure. Then I go home to Rogue and get lost in her arms.”

Scott twisted his glass in silence, “How does Rogue deal with it?”

“She cries a lot. Then she gets tough and she fights with me for them.” Logan took in the disheveled looking younger man. “You wanna help? You wanna step up to the plate?”

“I can’t. I couldn’t even help those kids.”

Logan reached into his pocket and pulled out a card. “Call this number, there’s a huge fundraiser next month. Give ‘em your name and say you’re part of Xavier’s School. Tell ‘em that you’ll be there and take a chance Scott.”

Scott watched Logan rise to his feet. “And if things don’t happen the way you think they will?”

Logan shrugged. “I’m not the one that pays for your silence. You wanna know who does? Take a ride by the graveyard on Hillside Drive. There’s a section fenced off, and a fresh grave. Go take a look at the marker. See what you’re turning a blind eye to.”

Long after Logan had disappeared back out the doors, Scott sat staring at the watery ring on the table. He couldn’t keep doing this, couldn’t keep bottling his emotions inside. Just this afternoon he’d all but snapped at one of the girls who came to class in a mini-skirt and tank top.

“Come on handsome,” Bethany’s voice broke into his thoughts and he glanced up into her smiling face. “My place is only a few doors away.”

Scott rose to his feet and fell into step with her. He wondered when the guilt would hit, when he’d feel bad for betraying Jean by screwing around on her. When he glanced up and saw a young boy, about thirteen, his face barely marked by acne, standing dressed like something in a gay bordello, he pulled Bethany a little tighter against him. All he wanted right then was to drown the pain for a little while, even if it was in the arms of a woman he didn’t know.
A tangle of faith and fortitude by Shadowlady
Rogue sat in the car with Piotr and stared at the tall man standing next to an all too familiar stone cross. She glanced at him and sighed, “And why isn’t Logan here?”

“Angel sent him to talk to one of the enforcers. Something about his skill in dealing with someone who forgets their place.” Piotr replied seriously.

Rogue sighed, she knew what that meant. One of Angel’s people, one her trusted team had broken the code they all lived by and she had needed someone to straighten the man out, something she knew she couldn’t do.

“Well no point in sitting here watching him.” Rogue raked a hand through her hair impatiently. “Lets go rattle his cage.”

Piotr chuckled and opened his door. A few seconds later, they were walking through the silent graveyard to the hunched figure who stood in the early afternoon sun, his head bent, his shoulders sagging beneath the weight of reality.

“Not pretty is it?” Rogue purred next to his ear, relishing the way Scott jumped before glancing at her.

“What happened to her?” Scott pointed at the grave before him.

“What do you think happened?” Rogue hissed. “A monster. And no one willing to pay attention to the signs.”

“Surely you don’t think that I’d go for this sort of thing?” Scott gasped. “You think I approve of this…this debauchery.”

“Why not? You’re the reason Logan and I got kicked out. Because of you, we left the only home either of us had ever known.” Rogue smirked at him. “From what I hear, you’re not all that happy at Xavier’s right now, yourself.”

Scott shuddered but held his tongue. There was no point in digging within his secrets, his shame. “What are you doing here?”

“Keeping out the trash.” Piotr drawled. “What are you doing here?”

“Trying to figure it out.” Scott admitted softly. “Trying to face just how badly I screwed up.”

Rogue snorted in derision and turned to walk away.

“He said you cry,” Scott spoke softly. “That you cry a lot before you fight with him. Why? Why do you risk your sanity for strangers?”

“Because,” Rogue paused and met his gaze steadily, “I could have been one of them. If it hadn’t been for the actions of a stranger, the actions of a man you’ve written off so many times I’d have been in that casket. There is nothing I wouldn’t give to make sure that he never feels guilty for saving me, for saving us.”

Scott nodded and glanced at Piotr. “And what about you? What do you get out of this? Hmm? A turn with Rogue…”

Piotr’s face twisted with banked rage and he stepped forward, only the look on Rogue’s face stopped him. Instead of ripping Scott’s throat out, he leaned forward and stared at him for a few seconds. “At the end of the day I go home, I crawl into bed next to my fiancé and I listen to her cry softly into her pillow. I watch another inch of pale skin darkened by the guilt of failure, and I pray that I can stop her from falling to the shadows.”

Scott shook his head. “Does it matter any more? Do any of us ever really understand what’s going on? Xavier isn’t going to change his plans to save a couple of teen age hookers.”

Rogue swore profusely and turned to stomp back to the car, leaving Piotr glaring at Scott.

“Age doesn’t matter.” Piotr whispered staring at the stone beneath his feet. “But in this case, this stone isn’t for a teen age junkie, selling her body for her next hit. This little girl was just that, a little girl. Her junkie mother sold her to her dealer for a few grams of crack and he put her out on the street for any sick bastard to fuck. She died of AIDS,” Piotr knelt and rubbed a few stray blades of grass from the marker. Rising to his feet he stared at Scott in silence for a heartbeat before stepping away. “She was nine years old.”

Piotr walked back to the car, aware of the strangled moan from Scott but not caring.

“Logan said there’s a function coming up.” Scott’s words stopped him.

“Yeah.”

“Put me down for two seats. I wanna hear what you have to say.”

Piotr turned to the man he’d once worshipped. “No, you don’t. See I’m not speaking, neither is Rogue, or any other ‘respectable’ person. The guest speakers that night are going to be the victims. The ones you and your ‘team’ forgot.”

Scott watched in silence as Piotr walked back to the battered vehicle and sighed. Something told him he didn’t want to be there for that function, but at the same time he needed to be there, needed to understand the horrors of an underground network that sold the souls of the innocent.

Long after the car had gone, Scott stood there his mind a tangled mess. He wondered how he would get Jean to accompany him, how he would get the woman who lived the safe, polished life she did to sink to the level that the kids who were victims did. With a sad shake of his head he started for his bike.




Angel glanced up at the knock on her office door and sighed. “Come in.”

“Um, Miss Angel?” Tall, skinny, with a face that wore the marks of her rebellion, the girl that stood in the doorway shifted uneasily. “Have you got a spare minute?”

“Certainly, come in and sit down. What’s on your mind?”

“Some of the girls were talking. Saying you wanted to uh put together an educational bundle for the dinner coming up.”

“Yes.”

“Do you need help with it? I’m real good with computers and…”

“Renee right?” Angel sighed at the girl’s nod. “Don’t sell your skills to me. I want input from everyone within the walls of this shelter. I’ve got every administrator from every safe house that’s out there collecting information from the kids within their care. If you want to help, then by all means, I gratefully accept your help.”

“Thank you.” Renee rose and shuffled to the door. She paused at it, holding the knob as though for courage. “How do you let go?”

“Let go?”

“Of the rage, the pain. For so long all I knew was the horror of living the life I had, now I’m lost. I don’t know what to do, how to fill my time. The more I think about it the angrier I get…”

“Anger is normal. You’ve a right to be angry; you’ve a right to feel betrayed, to feel as though you’re a victim. The only thing I want you to remember, Renee, is this.” Angel roses and walked over to the young woman. “You are a survivor - a living example of what people can go through and survive. You were a victim, not anymore.”

Renee smiled and nodded, before slipping out of the room and closing the door with a soft click.

Angel inhaled and walked over to stare out her office window. Below her children of all ages ran and played, acted like kids. Still she caught the odd shadow, the movement that only those who’d survived sexual exploitation and abuse could recognize and sighed.

“The oldest bunch of kids I’ve ever met.” She muttered and turned as her door opened and Piotr stepped inside. Smiling easily at him she turned back to her vigil. “Well?”

“He’ll be here. I have a feeling have of the team will be here as well.”

“And Bethany?”

Piotr shifted and walked over to stand next to his girl. “Says there’s no money being exchanged, no set price, no definitive act being performed. Says that she’s not dating him, she’s fucking him.”

Angel shook her head, “I thought I was clear about…”

“I think she considers him a friend. Oh I’m not saying she expects him to fall in love with her, or to suddenly become her best buddy, but I think she needs to feel like a woman not a child. He needs to understand what she’s survived and the only way both of them can get what they need is to use each other.” Piotr explained. “She isn’t turning tricks.”

“I just worry. They’re so young, so innocent looking and yet inside, where it counts there’s so much emotion, so much pain. I don’t know how they manage to survive so long. I’d have died before now if I’d have had to endure…”

“You did.” Piotr pulled her closer to him. “The girl you were died the night you ran away. You’re just as strong as they are, just as much a survivor as them. The only difference is you’ve had a few more years to figure it out.”

Glancing up at him Angel stared into his eyes for a moment. “How I wish I had your faith in me.”

“Faith and love can heal.” Piotr whispered kissing her cheek softly. “And I’ve got enough for both of us.”

Angel nodded and listened as he slipped out of her office. What she’d ever done to deserve such a good man, she didn’t know but she’d keep doing it.
What is this? by Shadowlady
“I’m still not entirely certain that we belong here.” Jean shifted in the back of the limo and glanced between Scott and the Professor. When Scott had come in one morning and flat out told her they were going to some dinner for a shelter downtown she’d been too shocked to protest. Since then, however, she’d had plenty of time to think about it.

The shelter Scott had mentioned wasn’t mutant related, wasn’t even fit for a decent person. In fact from what she’d managed to gleen from the papers, from the official records it housed whores and drug addicts. What on earth they were here for, she didn’t understand.

“Shut up Jean.” Scott grumbled his expression stoney as their ride pulled to a stop at the appropriate address.

Stepping out into the warm night he stared at the large, well maintained building and shivered. Beyond those doors was a world he still didn’t understand, a world that he tried to forget but couldn’t. Glancing around he stiffened as he recognized Logan’s truck parked a few feet up the paved drive, next to what appeared to be Piotr’s vehicle.

“I must agree with Jean, Scott. What exactly are we doing here?” Charles asked as he settled into his wheelchair, his face a careful mask as he glanced around.

“Call it a learning experience.” Scott replied as the doors opened to reveal two tuxedoed young men. Both were well built, both clean cut, and professional looking. It was only the flare of a gun on one hip that told Scott they could be trouble. “Come on.”

“Evening sir, ma’am.” One of the pair greeted them. “Your name?”

“Summers, and Xavier.” Scott said, the rustle of silk and sequins behind telling him that Storm had joined them.

“How many in your party Mr. Summers?”

“I’m not certain. I RSVPed for twelve, there are some who are running late.”

“I see you here.” The man smiled politely before turning to someone just inside the door. “BETHANY, you’ve got guests.”

A moment later dressed in a simple sheath gown, her hair pulled back from her face, Bethany stepped into the doorway and smiled at the growing group. Her eyes paused for a moment on the man standing with shades on his face before she nodded, “This way. Your table is near the front, as per your request, Mr. Summers.”

“Thank you.” Scott said ushering a still protesting Jean inside and after the young woman. He glanced sideways at his fiancé and wondered if she’d picked up on it yet. If she’d realized that this girl was the one he’d betrayed her with. He wasn’t foolish enough to think she hadn’t figured out he was screwing around, no, he knew she knew and yet he couldn’t feel an ounce of remorse or guilt.

“Thank you.” Jean smiled at the young woman who nodded a warm smile upon her face before she drifted away into the growing crowd. Reaching for her glass she scanned the room, hoping to catch a server.

“Evening ma’am, would you like some champagne?” Soft, lilting the voice drew her attention to a boy standing next to her right elbow.

“Thank you.”

The boy poured carefully, before offering the bubbly to the others at the table. With each glass filled he slipped away into the crowd, even as Jubilee and her date finally joined them.

“Wow. Talk about a fancy do.” Jubilee whistled softly as she glanced around. “Most of these people have been to our place.”

“Indeed,” Charles glanced around. “But I still don’t understand what we’re doing here.”

“Learning.” Scott muttered crossly as he drained his glass and caught the eye of one of Logan’s youngest ‘waifs’. The girl scurried through the crowd to him and paused. “Scotch on the rocks.”

“Anything for anyone else,” the girl asked glancing around, ignoring the shocked looks upon their faces. When she didn’t get a response she merely nodded and darted off into the crowd, returning a few moments later with a tall, carved glass full of ice and a pale amber liquid. “Here you are sir.”

“Thank you. Do you know what the agenda is for tonight?”

“Oh, um, Miss Angel said she’d let everyone know at eight. It’s ten to now so if you’d like to get comfortable,” the girl said. “she’ll letcha know.”

“Letcha know?” Jean leaned closer to Scott as the girl vanished. “Where’d this Angel person get her serving staff? A classroom?”

“No.” The distinct Russian accent had everyone turning to stare at the tall, tuxedo clad figure standing eying them. “At least not a classroom you’d ever be in.”

“Piotr.” Storm gasped rising slightly. “I didn’t know you were coming.”

“I live here.” Piotr replied and glanced upwards. “In the flat upstairs. I do hope you’ve got all your drinks. It won’t be long before we’re underway. My fiancé will begin within a few minutes.”

“What is the purpose of this event?” Charles asked quietly, ignoring the seeming random hustle of the rest of the room. “It is hardly…”

“Education, Professor. Education and possibly preventative awareness.” Piotr replied and smiled warmly at a figure moving toward him in the crowd. “See some of us got tired of picking up the pieces, of doing things that no one in their right mind would willingly choose to do.”

“Who said we were in our right mind?” Angel asked wrapping and arm through Piotr’s. “Good evening, Professor Xavier, Miss Monroe, Dr. Grey. I do hope you’re all comfortable. Have you been served drinks yet?”

“Indeed.” Jean smiled tightly. “We were just discussing the reason for this little soirée.”

Angel smiled warmly. “All shall be revealed. I do beg your indulgence; I really must get this show on the road.”

The X-men watched as the pretty blonde headed for the small stage, her steps confident, perfect as she moved through the crowd. She paused to speak to a server here or there, a smile pasted on her face as she made her way to the podium.

“You said you live here, does that mean you also work here?” Bobby asked scanning the room.

“Here and three other properties. I’m head of security.”

“Bossman?”

Piotr turned to Deke who ambled up. “What’s up?”

“Some guy at the door says he’s here to see his daughter. What do you want I should do?”

“Who’s his daughter?”

Deke’s face hardened for a moment before he smoothed his features into a carefully schooled expression, “Sally.”

Piotr frowned and glanced toward the podium where Angel stood talking to a boy they’d brought in a week before hand. “Where is Sally?”

“Hiding. Said she didn’t want to be on show.” Deke replied seriously.

“I’ll handle it.” Piotr glanced at his watch and sighed, “Tell the boss and see if she wants to meet me at the doors.”

“Uh is she wearing her charms?” Deke asked.

“No. Not tonight.”

Deke visibly flinched and shifted uncomfortably. “Couldn’t you tell her? I mean the last time…”

“Deke, we don’t have time for this. Either you go tell her or send someone else. I’m going to see this ‘man’.” Piotr snapped and stalked away.

“Oh fuck.” Deke shook his head and waved at a slim, scar faced boy. “Jonas, my boy how would you like to do me a favor.”

“What is it?” the boy asked uncertainly.

“Go tell Miss Angel that she’s needed at the door.” Deke smiled as the boy darted off to pass along the message before he turned back to his post.

“Problems?” Charles asked trying to scan the young man’s mind only to be overwhelmed by repulsion and rage.

“Nothing you need to concern yourselves with.” Deke said and hurried away.

With a smile pasted on her face, Angel moved through the crowd passing Xavier’s table quickly and heading for the doorway. Every instinct within her telling her to inflict pain, to inflict misery and degradation upon the fool who’d come to call.

“What the hell is going on?” Jean glared at Scott as the lights dimmed and the noise level dropped to a low hum.

“I told you already.” Scott started only to stop at the clearing of a throat.

“Good evening, ladies and gentlemen.”

Everyone at the table turned to stare at the woman standing at the podium. Dressed in a beautiful dark green gown the hugged every curve, Rogue smiled at the crowd as pictures of youngsters lined the walls. “I hope everyone has a drink in hand, our hostess has been called away for a small emergency so y’all forgive me for giving her speech.”

Amid the laughter of the room, Jean and Charles glanced at each other as they caught sight of Logan standing to the right of Rogue, his body cast in shadows, the familiar tense, ready to spring stance telling them he wasn’t there for pleasure.

“As a public, non-for-profit organization you may not be aware of us, but you should be. Everyone should be aware of exactly what the LFAA does. Some years ago, a man reached out of the shadows of life and offered a helping hand to a stranger. He didn’t have to, as a matter of fact it went against his very nature but he offered a promise. That promise was kept in so many ways, and it changed things. He became aware that there was kindness, there was acceptance to those who thought themselves beyond redemption and he carried that knowledge with him wherever he went.” Rogue paused and smiled slightly as she glanced behind her. “One night he came across a young woman, desperate, cold, hungry, and at the end of her emotional rope. What she offered him however wasn’t what she wanted, and the lessons learned from before gave him a chance to be more. Instead of dragging her further into the gutters, into the filth of human existence, he offered her a chance.”

Scott shifted slightly, amid the silence of the room. He didn’t know what the meaning of this speech was but he had a feeling he wasn’t going to like the outcome.

“A chance that she took, one that she’s passed on. Ladies and gentlemen, this place, this shelter is not the first, nor will it be the last. It is however, going to be here a long time. The LFAA offers a safe haven to those who’ve been exploited, been abused. I know what you’re thinking. We’re wasting our time here, there isn’t anything we haven’t heard before…but there is.” Rogue paused to collect herself, the need to cry raking her throat. “I’m not going to stand up here and bore you with tales of grandeur, or whatever you think is going to happen. I’m going to tell you the truth. Everything you see here, every glass, every linen, everything is here for one reason and one reason only. The reason is on the walls, is serving you a drink, offering a shy smile. Ad astra per aspera - To the stars through difficulty is a place of healing. So without further ado, I shall pass the microphone over to one of our many guest speakers tonight and as only that you keep and open mind, and an open heart.” Rogue smiled and stepped back as Bethany took the stage.

Bethany glanced around the room and shifted uncomfortably. Taking a deep fortifying breath she exhaled and raised her chin. “Hello, my name is Bethany. I’m nineteen years old, and I’m a survivor.” She paused her hand tightening on the podium. “I’m here to tell you a story, a story of a little girl who was forced into a life of pain and degradation at a very young age. A story that is horrific, terrifying, and completely true. One that you’ll hear again and again tonight. I ask nothing of you, I want nothing from you, and I’m doing this not for myself, but for a woman who risks so much on a daily basis, who has given so much to all of us within her care.”
veneratio Angelus ut have cado (Honor the Angel’s that have fallen) by Shadowlady
Casting a glance at the rest of the mansion residents seated at the table, Scott watched them their faces, pale, their hands clasped tightly upon the drinks before them. He felt a sick, twisted glee at the thought that they knew what he was struggling with now, they knew the demons that Logan had slain.

The walls till glowed with the pictures of other children, a soft, steady hum of classical music filled the room as dinner were served. He watched Jean pick at the meal set before her and hid a grin.

Scott saw Bethany talking to Piotr and Angel and sighed, he wondered if she’d be open to slipping away for a few minutes. He smiled softly when she turned to look at him, and saw her smile back. A moment later she was moving through the tables, ignoring the drone of conversations as she moved to their table.

“How is everything this evening?” Bethany asked pausing behind Scott’s chair. “I trust you meal is satisfactory.”

“Yes, thank you.” Charles dabbed at his mouth as he cast a glance at his team. “Are you from here Bethany?”

Bethany shook her head, “No. I’m not.”

“But you live here.” Jean smiled coldly at her.

“For the time being. I’m only helping to get the new property up and running before I head home.”

“Where were you originally from?” Bobby asked.

Bethany looked at the polished young man for a moment, “Tennessee. A small town in the mountains.”

“Do you miss it?” Jean asked catching the familiarity between her and Scott and not liking it a bit. Somehow this girl knew him and it bothered her.

“No. I stopped missing it about the time I was nine.” Bethany replied and cast a glance toward the front of the room. “That’s when I met Angel. She wasn’t so polished then, little more than a teenager herself.”

“Tell us about her.” Charles invited.

“If you want to know about her, ask someone who could tell you more.” Bethany bowed slightly. “Enjoy the rest of the evening.”

“Thank you.” Charles watched the young woman slip away into the crowd and leaned forward. “She’s not a mutant.”

“Does she have to be?” Scott asked. “Does being human make her less worthy of help?”

“Scott that isn’t what…”

“No?” Scott shifted on the chair and sighed. “What makes one more suitable for salvation than the other? There should be no difference, help is help.”

“Scott,” Jean put a hand on his wrist. “There has to be more than just a few children being abused to this. What is she training them for? What are they doing gathered in such large groups…”

“Living.” Logan said as he took an empty seat and leaned back in his chair. “Surviving and doing a damn good job of it.”

“Should have realized you’d be here.” Jean hissed. “Isn’t it enough that you’ve managed to corrupt Piotr’s thinking…”

“I have no say in what Piotr does. If you want to know why not ask.” Logan leaned forward and stared at her. “Look around you Jean, take a good look. You think these kids are being trained to fight mutants? You think this has anything to do with your war? It doesn’t. Every one of these kids is suffering from something you wouldn’t understand. You’ve never had to trade your dignity for your next meal.”

“Oh come on Logan, this isn’t some epidemic that’s being swept under the rug.”

“No?” Logan shook his head and glared at her. “Tell me Jean, when was the last time you were hungry? How many times have you been willing to do anything for a meal? You can’t because you’ve never walked in the gutter. You wanna know about Angel, ask her. Ask her to tell you about hell and see if you still feel this is all some elaborate ploy to get money.”

Logan stood and glared down at those at the table. “I’ll ask Angel to join you.”

Exchanging telling looks, those at the table were silent as Logan stalked over to the tall blonde who glanced sharply at the table before nodding.

“Looks like we may get an answer to our questions.” Charles said as the woman glided to the table and sank into the vacant chair.

“So Logan tells me you wanted to talk to me.”

“We’re curious. What made you do this?” Storm asked as she waved at the room.

Angel smiled sadly and glanced around. “Because, at one time I was one of those kids. I’ve seen the degradation that happens, I’ve walked in those shadows and I’m not scared of it. Only a few get out, and I’ll be damned if I’m gonna let anyone suffer because of another’s choices.”

“You can’t possibly…” Jean started only to stop as a rather large shadow loomed over the table.

“Miss Angel,” distinct, deep, the baritone was filled with an urgency few at the table heard.

“Yes Bulldog?”

“We’ve got a problem.”

Angel rose without a word and started for the door to the rest of the building. Ignoring the looks being exchanged at Xavier’s table she sighed, “What is it?”

“Got word that one of our team’s spotted someone. He ain’t exactly young, what I mean is he’s in his late teens but he’s in pretty rough shape. He’s traveling with a little girl about ten, and another kid although I’m not sure what the age or gender is. From what I’ve managed to get outta Witchdoctor things are going bad.”

“How so?” Angel said turning the lock and heading for her office. She would need to be changed and ready to go with a moment’s notice.

“Witchdoctor said she recognized Elise McQuire as the bait.”

Angel shot her enforcer a dark look before she reached for the zipper of her gown. Tossing it aside, she heard the shuffle of feet as he turned to give her a bit of privacy. Slipping into a pair of black jeans, a tank-top, and her gauntlet she reached for the slim silver letter opener on her desk. Tucking it in her hair she galncd up as the door opened and Piotr, Logan, and Deke stepped into the room.

“Leave Bethany in charge,” Angel drawled. “We’re going out toplay.”

“You should stay here,” Piotr said. “You should be present for any of the guests to ask questions…”

“This isn’t a game Piotr,” Angel spoke softly as she stared at her lover. “I can’t let McQuire beat me to these kids. Besides, I can get closer to the shadows than you can. This isn’t a fight tonight, this is simply making sure that bitch doesn’t get the kids. Logan, is there any rooms available at the new place?’

“Sure. Got half the building ready.”

“Good, Rogue can handle setting things up for three residents. It’ll be just the four er five of us.” Angel moved quickly, organizing her mind in preparation for the coming confrontation. “Get a hold of Witchdoctor and let her know we’re coming. Tell her to keep an eye on the trio, but not to make contact.”

Bulldog nodded and hurried from the room.

“So you think they’re going to accept an offer of help?” Logan asked.

Angel grinned and shrugged, “As long as they’re aware of the problems that come with being on the streets I’m sure that boy’ll make the right decision.”

Exchanging a glance the trio of men followed Angel toward the side door. Would there be bloodshed or not? Either way, someone was going to get hurt.


Bethany leaned back slightly and watched in silence as Angel, dressed in full battle regalia led a small team toward a waiting car. Casting a glance behind her, she sighed, it would do no good to alert anyone to the possibilities. She watched in silence as the car pulled away from the front of the house and disappeared into the steady stream of traffic.

“Something interesting?” Scott whispered against her neck.

“There’s always something interesting around here.” Bethany turned to face him. “Isn’t your wife going to notice you’ve slipped away?”

Scott shrugged, “Probably. But since I came to see if you’re going to be around later…”

“I’ll be at my place after midnight,” Bethany whispered softly. “Feel free to use the key.”

Scott nodded and squeezed her arm gently before slipping away. Bethany watched him disappear into the crowd and sighed, tonight would bring more than just a few pennies into the coffer. She just hoped that when it came dawn, something was still standing.
Paying for another's Sins by Shadowlady
From the front seat of the suburban, Logan watched Piotr and Angel slip into the shadows welcoming embrace. Gone were two separate entities, two individuals, he watched as one formidable weapon was unleashed upon the night and shifted. Something told him this was not going to go well, somehow he knew beyond a doubt that death would come tonight and he wondered who she would call upon.

“Relax, they’ll get it done. It’s what they do.” Deke took a long drag off his smoke and knocked the ashes off into the street.

“I’ll relax when I’m home.” Logan grunted and shifted again, every instinct within him telling him to get outta the car and go help out. It was only through sheer force of will that he managed to remain in the car, even as he saw a figure moving through the throngs of street people toward the exact alley Piotr and Angel had disappeared into.


Piotr leaned against the brick wall, his arms crossed over his chest as he watched Angel slip through the darkness to where the boy they’d come to see sat with two small children.

Dirty, tired, and by every appearance having missed more than their share of meals, the trio were crammed together in a large box. From where he stood he could see the boy’s eyes darting around, searching for any signs of trouble, his eyes glassy and desperate.

“Well?” Smooth, sexy, the voice belonged to a tall woman who stepped out of the darkness from the other side of a dumpster, her long hair done in an elegant bun, her face painted, her clothes well cared for…what there was of them. “Have you thought of what I’ve offered you?”

“They’re young, they need a chance.” The boy muttered shaking his head. “If I’m workin’ for ya then they’re unprotected and I can’t…”

“Oh, sweetie, don’t worry ‘bout ‘em. I’ll make sure they’re taken care of.” The woman’s sultry laughter grated over Piotr’s nerves as he stood straighter and watched a living shadow fall into place just behind the woman.

“How? By sellin’ ‘em to the first pervert ya come across?” Angel snarled into the darkenss. “By treatin’ ‘em like property when they ain’t anything of the sort.”

“Should have known you’d turn up, freak.”

“At least I can sleep at night, Elise. What ‘bout you?” Angel purred into the darkness.

“I sleep just fine. Why don’t you move along, let me conduct my business in private.”

“Why don’t you run along? You got enough souls you’ve destroyed.” Angel shot back as she moved closer to Elise. “You don’t want him, you want them.” She gestured at the two youngsters hiding in the box. “Bring ‘em up to the way that you think they should be. If they don’t work out who cares right? You’re on my turf, bitch, and I don’t appreciate it.”

“Kiss my ass.” Elise hissed a moment before she swung at the pretty blonde before her.

Moving forward quickly, Piotr grabbed the boy’s arm. “No. Don’t. Take your kids and go that way. There’ll be three men in a newer suburban; they’ll get you to a shelter, food, and a bed. Tomorrow you can get any answers you need. Not now.”

The boy darted a glance between the two women who stood toe to toe and the tall, muscular man before him before hustling the two kids out of the alley. He didn’t want anyone or anything to hurt his sister and brother.

Angel grunted in pain as she felt the blow to her ribs even as she used her knee and connected with Elise’s midsection. “I’m not one of your whores.” She ground out.

Angel barely saw it coming as Elise swung, connecting her fist with Angel’s jaw. Stumbling slightly she grabbed handful of fabric and shoved, forcing the other woman into the wall.

The breath was knocked from her as Elise bowled her over, sending both of them crashing into the dumpster. Rolling atop Elise, Angel grabbed a handful of hair and slammed the other woman’s head into the pavement. Clawing and spitting in rage, Angel refused to allow her enemy to beat her, refused to surrender.

Rolling and kicking, the two women seemed unconcerned with the amount of noise rising from the alley as Piotr stood there. He winced with each sound of a fist connecting with flesh, with each crunch of bone, and howl of pain. He could see the tangled locks of blonde and red hair as they fought, hear the pained hiss of breathe as someone bit hard.

Glancing behind him he saw Elise’s ‘boss’ appear for a moment, saw the fear and the uncertainty a moment before he darted off into the shadows, one less pimp to concern themselves with.

Darting after him, Piotr froze at the boom of a gun and turned around. Elise was slowly climbing to her feet, a look of pleasure and victory on her face. Her dark eyes slid through the gloom to catch his. In her hand was a smoking .45, the barrel pointed at the ground, at the woman twitching as blood flowed from a wound and onto the dirty, trash filled cement

With a low snarl of pure rage, Piotr closed the distance between them with only a few strides, the look of pain, of fear over taking the victory in her eyes a moment before he hit her.

Later, when he was asked, Piotr would refuse to acknowledge the facts. When the dust had settled and in the darkest part of night, then and only then would Piotr reveal the truth. The feel of bones smashing beneath his fists, the sensation of flesh yielding to the power of his blows, and the twisted satisfaction he had knowing that the woman who’d hurt his precious Angel, who’d sold the forgetting souls into hell, had died by his hand.

“Baby,” He whispered pushing her hair back, ignoring the bruises, the small cuts and searching for a pulse.

“Boss man, I thought I heard a gun…” Deke’s voice trailed off as he took in the scene.

Laying in a tangled heap against the wall, the monster they’d come to stop was obviously dead. Her neck was broken if the angle of her head was any indication. Turning his gaze back to Piotr who held Angel’s body against his own, Deke swallowed harshly as he sat the blood that flowed down pale flesh.

“We need to get her to a doctor.” Logan said without looking at the enemy. “Hospital…”

“Doc helps us. We don’t use hospitals.” Piotr whispered painfully.

“But he’s not here.”

“I’m not leaving her to bleed to death.” Piotr snarled rising to his feet, his fiancé in his arms. If he had to he’d carry her all the way to Detroit.

“Jean.” Logan caught Piotr’s arm. “They’ll be back at the mansion by now, Jean or Hank will help her.”

“I don’t want that bitch touching…”

“If we don’t do something, she’s gonna bleed to death.” Logan pointed out softly.

“I’ll get the car.” Deke turned and ran off leaving Logan with Piotr and Angel.

“I should have seen the gun. I should have known that Elise…”

“You are not to blame. Now, come on. Let’s get her some help.”

With a short, choppy nod Piotr followed Logan to where the suburban sat idling at the curb. No one made a move to stop them, no one asked a question, everyone knew the reason…sometimes a body had to bleed for their sins.
Disgust, prejudice and healing by Shadowlady
The mansion was dark as Logan parked the truck in front of the doors. A glance at the dashboard clock revealed it was close to two in the morning, plenty of time to get in.

“I’ll get Jean, you get her down to the medlab.” Logan grunted as he opened the door soundlessly and ushered Piotr in with is precious burden.

“See if Hank’ll help.” Piotr grunted as he headed for the elevator. “I’m not sure about Jean, she seemed to have a problem with the girls at the fundraiser.”

“Gotcha.” Logan watched Piotr shift Angel in his arms a moment before the elevator doors swung open. With a sad shake of his head, Logan started up the staircase. There were more important things to be concerned about than Piotr being strong enough to carry Angel’s weight.

Stalking the hallways he paused in front of Jean’s bedroom door a moment then knocked quickly. If Scooter was in there all the better, fewer questions.

“What do you want Logan?” Jean hissed as she jerked open the door to stare at the feral mutant before her.

“You’re needed down in the medlab.” Logan grunted. “Got a casualty from tonight.”

Jean’s expression tightened as she grabbed for her dressing gown. “What’s the injury, or can I guess?”

“Bullet wound.” Logan snarled, “And if you want to keep your face I suggest you keep your opinions to yourself, Piotr ain’t exactly in a forgiving mood.” Logan stalked down the hall toward Hank’s room. He knew that Jean’s attitude had more to do with the fact that Scott was banging one of the ‘sewer rats’ than anything but it still bothered him.

After waking Hank, Logan explained the situation in as few a words as possible before heading downstairs to where Piotr hovered over Angel. “How’s she doing kid?” Logan asked walking up to the tall Russian.

“Thank god her mutations still active,” Piotr whispered. “She’s been absorbing energy from the metal around her, its keeping her alive for now.”

“Could she absorb enough to regenerate?” Logan asked as he caught sight of Jean prepping for surgery. He watched her put on two gowns, and triple glove, a look of disgust upon her face.

“No. Doesn’t work that way. She absorbs the energy and turns it into physical strength or armor. Sorta a cross between my mutation and Rogue’s. Only difference is she absorbs from metals, not people.”

Logan nodded as Jean approached the table. “Come on, lets let her work.”

Piotr nodded as the doors glided open and Hank stepped in to the room. He caught the other man’s eyes and raised his chin, he was proud of the woman laying slowly bleeding to death and he didn’t care about their opinions.

“We’ll do all we can.” Hank promised as he ushered the two men out of the room before turning to look at Jean. “What’s the situation?”

“She’s lost a lot of blood.” Jean snapped angrily as she cut away clothing to reveal the nasty bullet hole. Looks like we’ve got an entrance wound, I haven’t found the exit wound. Don’t know why we’re doing this, disease infested trash…”

“Jean!” Hank gaped at her. “We do not judge those upon our table, you know that.”

“Oh come on Hank, she’s one of them. One of those precious kids that were at the shelter, a whore. God only knows what diseases she’s infected with. I for one have no desire to get AIDS or…”

“I suggest you put aside your own feelings,” Hank drawled. “Unless you wish to confront both of those men out there and tell them that you didn’t do all you could because you were disgusted by the patient’s history.”

Jean glared at Hank for a moment before shrugging. She didn’t care either way. Her plans were more important and they didn’t involve mutant whores.



Logan watched Piotr pacing, his face twisted with fear and grief. The sudden beeping from the small black box on his belt had both men jumping even as Piotr reached for the cell.

“Hello.”

“Hey bossman. Where you at?” Deke’s voice rumbled over the line. “Kids are safe and sound, Rogue’s pissed, wondering where Logan is.”

“We’re at Xavier’s.” Piotr replied his voice shaky, “Angel got hurt bad.”

“How bad?” Deke demanded flatly.

“Elise shot her, chest wound. She’s alive and the doctors here are trying to fix her. Damn it I shouldn’t have let her…”

“Whoa, hold it big guy,” Deke swallowed harshly. “You had no way of knowing what was happening. You did your job, Angel knew the risks. Where’s the bitch now?”

“I left her broken in the alley.” Piotr whispered painfully, “I should have gone in to do the pick up. I shouldn’t have let her go, we knew that thing was a sneaky rat, we should have done something else. I should have gone in, gotten the kids and gotten out.”

“What about Elise’s boss? Did you get him?”

“Too busy trying to keep Angel alive long enough to get her to help.”

There was a long, painful pause over the line before Deke’s voice came back, harder, colder, than ever. “Don’t worry about him. Me and the boys’ll take care of him. You just focus on getting her back home, healthy. Call as soon as you know anything.”

Piotr grunted a reply and hung up the phone. The rage within him was pushing to come out and he longed to break something, to destroy something the way his plans, his future was being destroyed.

“What’d he say?” Logan reached for a cigar.

“Said he’d take care of things.” Piotr shook his head, his eyes sliding to Logan’s. “I should have done the pick up. I should never have let Angel go into this one.”

“This pick up was no different than the thousand and one pick up’s before it. You knew Angel would take a bullet for a kid, you knew she’d die to protect the innocent lives. It’s why you love her.”

“And why they hate her.” Piotr shook his head. “I want things to be different, Logan. I want her to be safe, to be indestructible, to be there for me forever. How can I protect her when she does this?”

“You can’t. All you can do is love her. Piotr, you have to accept what she does, accept the risks, and support her or you have to let her go. Angel won’t stop helping out because it’s what she is. It’s who she is.” Logan stated calmly.

“Damn it all to hell. What are they doing? Why is this taking so long?” Piotr returned to his furious pacing, intent upon wearing a path in the floor.


Logan glanced up at the sound of doors opening and stared at Hank who stared back, a closed expression on his blue face. “How’d it go?”

“She’s stable.” Hank declared. “But there was a lot of blood loss. She’s got a fair chance.”

Jean stepped past Hank and rolled her eyes on the way to the elevator. “If you see Scott, tell him…”

“Scott ain’t my concern.” Piotr ground out. “I wanna see her. I’m gonna sit with her.”

I figured you would want to,” Hank smiled slightly. “I’ve put a chair by the bed, please remember not to jostle her. She needs to rest. It’ll help heal her.”

Piotr nodded and slipped into the room, he didn’t care about what was out side of the doors, all he wanted needed was to see Angel, to know she was safe, that he still had her at least for a while.
Replaying Memories by Shadowlady
Author's Notes:
Angel could feel the bitterness, the anger in the good doctor as she moved the scalpel across her flesh. There was no pain; after all you can’t feel pain when you’re practically dead, no, it wasn’t physical pain she felt.

With each incision, each trace of steel across her body, Angel was swamped with the bitterness and lack of understanding within the red-headed doctor’s mind. Emotions choked her, like heavy weights around her ankles, the anger, the jealousy, the resentment and fear all pressed down, dragging her deeper into the darkness.

Still, she knew to fight the emotions, to struggle with the weight would only add to her discomfort. Instead, she focused on keeping memories, fantasies from her mind and let the emotions swirl around her.

Each thought, each sensation played out like a home movie with Angel as an unwilling viewer. She watched the other woman’s life flashing before her eyes, watched her secrets unfold. Distancing herself from them would not be easy but she would have to do it.

When a new presence came into her mind, one filled with books, with knowledge and culture, with acceptance and understanding she latched onto the sensations. Sticking to them like a leech, willing to endure the anger that was directed at her for a past she had no control over.

As she slipped into the comfort of oblivion, one thought stuck with her, one emotion that she couldn’t shake. With a soft groan, Angel refused to give in. Instead she’d fight, and she would win.

Brown eyes stared out of an aged face, eyes filled with rage, with pain, with desperation. Bony fingers, clung weakly to the but of a .38, the barrel pointed directly at her chest.

“I’m not here to hurt you.” Soft, soothing the words were honest even if the boy’s fear was stronger than his trust.

“No, you’re just here to take me back. I ain’t going back.”

“I’m not going to take you back. I promise, I don’t take anyone back.” Angel spoke smoothly, inching her way toward the teenager. “I have a place, a safe place. Somewhere you can go, somewhere you can live . A place for people like us.”

Shock filled brown eyes a moment before the gun trembled and a new look, one filled with doubt and just the barest hint of hope locked onto her.

“Us?”

Angel nodded slowly, “Us. You’re not alone, and you don’t have to be alone. I’m not asking you for anything, just inviting you.”

“I can leave?”

“If you want to. Yes.”

“Okay, I’ll come. But anyone touches me and I’m gone. I’d rather starve to death out here than…”

“No one’s gonna touch you.” The promise was easily given, and heartfelt.


NO! Dear God, no! Half starved, badly beaten the girl teetered on the edge of the ledge, her pale eyes filled with pain, her skin flushed with fever. Even from where she stood, Angel could tell the child was sick, that illness had taken its toll. A body too thin to be anything but ugly was dwarfed by the ratty t-shirt and shorts she wore. Her bare feet were caked with filth and scabs.

The tears that trailed down the girl’s face however, were more distressing. They told of a soul too broken to be repaired, a mind that was gone, and a pain that ran too deeply for anyone to ever heal the wounds.

Even as she waited for the girl to think about her offer she knew the answer. For this one, for this child, death was the only option and she welcomed it. Angel flinched at the thud of a body connecting with the ground. Moving to the edge, she stared down at the broken body three stories below and shuddered. Closing her eyes at the agony coursing through her she turned and slipped back into the shadows, back into the darkness that had claimed a piece of her so long ago.



The drone of an old classic did little to lift Angel’s mood as she sat nursing the fourth drink of the night. Instead it seemed to pull her deeper into the muck of her life, into the failure that clung to her skin. Glancing up at the draft of fresh air she stared at the tall, muscular man who stood in the doorway. His broad shoulders were encased in leather, tight jeans hugged his lean hips, and flowed down long, long legs into heavy biker boots.

Unconsciously she licked her lips, before turning back to her drink. No, no she couldn’t do it. Couldn’t be what a man would want, couldn’t risk breaking that vow.


Shuddering at the softest of caresses along her pale skin. The moist heat of a mouth pressed to her shoulder sent tingles of awareness coursing through her. Hands too big to look gentle, soothed heated flesh, stirring the embers of desire. Gasps of pleasure, of surrender slipped past her lips, even as she tilted her head back, exposing her throat to him.

She barely felt the silk of her dress as it pooled around her ankles, the heat from her lover-to-be’s embrace flooding her mind and body. Awareness was limited to the man holding her, touching her, nothing else mattered.

“Please.” Soft, heart-felt the plea echoed right into her heart. She clung tightly as he lifted her gently and carried her to the massive bed, her back touching the cool; soft sheets even as she reached for him, wrapping him in her embrace. She need to feel alive, to know that there was more to life than the death and despair she saw nightly.


“Come back to me, Angel.” A pain filled whisper filled her mind as she lay there, swimming in memories, in pain and pleasure. “I can’t do this without you, I need you. I love you, Angel; please, please come back to me.”

Moaning softly, she tried to speak, to ease his fears but couldn’t find the strength. Instead, she allowed herself to fall back into the healing sleep; she would do as he asked. She had no choice, she needed the man holding her so tightly.
Storm Clouds are brewing by Shadowlady
Piotr jerked awake at the soft hiss of hydraulics and stared hard at Hank as he came lumbering gracefully into the room. Blinking to clear the sleep from his eyes, Piotr stretched and rose to his feet, he trusted Hank merely because Hank had yet to prove untrustworthy.

“How is she doing today?” He asked softly as Hank checked all the monitors and her vitals.

“Resting comfortably. She’s stable, but the bullet did a lot of damage and moving her didn’t help.”

“I had to.” Piotr snarled angrily, any mention of his lack of ‘due care’ with Angel was enough to send his emotions swinging wildly. “I wasn’t about to leave her in that alley to bleed to death.”

“I wasn’t accusing you.” Hank stated calmly. “I’m merely telling you that she needs to have a chance to heal. I fully expect her to make a full recovery.”

“And Dr. Grey?”

Hank tensed and looked at Piotr. The young man hadn’t left the medlab for over two weeks. He’d refused anything but the bare necessities, determined to stay and protect the young woman he’d brought to the mansion. That he cared for her was obvious, he spent hours following Logan’s advice and moving her arms and legs, working her muscles for her, caring for her in ways that no one would consider.

While he’d never say it out loud, the young woman was probably the cleanest person in the mansion. Piotr bathed her at least three times a day, more if Jean touched her. He’d watched from the shadows as Piotr spent hours brushing out the tarnished gold of the woman’s hair, his face a twisted mask of pain, longing, and affection.

Logan had offered little in way of information about the couple, only going to so far as to say that they were a unit. That Piotr would never willingly come back to the mansion, he’d found another cause that he felt was more important. The message was clear, and it saddened Hank immensely.

“I’m going to change her bag,” Hank said moving to get the appropriate bag for the IV. “I see no reason to include a sedative today; she’s stronger than she was when you brought her in.”

Piotr nodded and watched every movement in silence.

Hank noted the way Piotr’s large hand held the woman’s hand tightly, his stare distant, yet beneath the look was a lot of fear. The room was swamped with the stench, and Hank could hear it in the pounding of the younger man’s heart. Whoever his patient was, Piotr cared a great deal about her.

“How is our patient today?” Jean demanded approaching the two men. “Have you taken her off the sedatives yet?”

“Just today.”

Jean nodded and headed for her office, a look of disgust poorly hidden on her face. Hank noted Piotr paid her little attention, instead he focused on smoothing the sheet out over the girl.

With a shake of his head, Hank started for Jean’s office. “Have you a moment, Jean?”

“What is it now?” Jean hissed. “Poor little Piotr upset about me wanting to get that disease infestation out of here?”

“Jean!” Hank gasped. “I’ve checked her blood, and I’ve run every single test upon her that’s known. Whatever you think she has or does not have, she is healthy. She’s a survivor of the streets yes, but that is not up to us to judge. You have no right to make a snap judgment like that.”

“My concern…”

“I strongly doubt that.” Hank replied coldly. “What is your problem with her?”

“I am not going to sit here and have this discussion.” Jean snarled rising to her feet and glaring at him. “She’s just as filthy and disgusting as that little whore Scott’s fucking. She’s one of ‘em and as far as I’m concerned…”

“Scott’s infidelity is not the point here!” Hank glared at her. “That woman risked her life to save a child, to save a life. You’re so fixated on some slight that you’ve forgotten who and what we are!”

“I don’t care about her little cause.” Jean smiled sweetly. “I want her out of my medlab as soon as possible. I will not continue to waste resources on her treatment. Nor do I want anyone who’s touched her in here. Get her where you can move her and then get her out of here!”


Frowning Piotr stared at the wall as he listened to the argument steadily gathering volume. He knew Dr. Grey didn’t like treating Angel, didn’t like what she stood for but to be so callous, so unbelievably cruel? Angel had never done anything to her, never even tried anything when she could have so many times. Maybe the X-Men didn’t know or realize it but Angel controlled some of the best trained warriors in the world. Her Enforcers were skilled killers, men and women with nothing to lose and they could have done serious damage to anything that Xavier had ever wanted to do.

A steady hum from his hip drew his attention and he pulled the cell out of the clip. “Piotr here.”

“Hey boss, how’s she doing today?”

“Stable. I’m hoping that she can be moved back to the apartment soon.” Piotr glanced sharply at the wall behind which Jean and Hank were. “If not for my own peace of mind.”

“AND I SAID I DON’T WANT THAT WHORE HERE!” Jean’s furious scream made him shake his head, his eyes flying to Angel’s prone form.

“Who was that?” Deke’s voice held steel and something else, something that Piotr understood.

“A bitch.” Piotr replied. “Have you been able to get a hold of Doc yet?”

“Yes. He won’t be back for a day or so but he’s on his way. He was making his rounds of all the shelters. Said he’d leave this last one without completing his rounds and rush back. I said I’d double check with you. We both know Angel…”

“No, no that’s alright. Tell him to finish. I’ll be staying with Angel until she’s ready to be transported. Just get Rogue to take a look at the books if anyone needs a couple of bucks. She can make a deposit to everyone’s card and then Angel’ll give everyone their salary…”

“Hey, boss man we ain’t worried about a fuckin’ dollar, okay. Angel’s one of us. She ain’t some piece of trash to be left out…”

“I wasn’t saying that. I just know that you’ve all got bills, got lives outside of the organization. Look, I’m gonna call you later, okay. I don’t want anyone here getting the idea they can tap into our communication system.”

“I’m sorry, man. I shouldn’t have gotten so upset. I know you’re lookin’ out for us. Its just you seem to be worrying about everyone but you. If we don’t hear from you by tomorrow I’ll make contact again.”

“Agreed.” Piotr hung up the phone and lifted his head to stare coldly at Hank who looked embarrassed. “That was one of our specialists. We’ve got our own physician on alert, how long until she could be moved.”

“You can take her now, for all I care.” Jean snapped stalking toward the doors.

“She’s stable, Piotr, but she’s far from out of the woods. I would be remiss if I released her too soon.”

“When her personal doctor gets here, we’ll sign any waivers you have. I won’t allow us to contaminate your fucking school any longer than is necessary.” Piotr’s skin glistened as his mutation kicked in before he pushed it back. “As well, draw up a bill. I wouldn’t want you to have to pay for all of this out of your own pocket.”

“Piotr, please you must understand Jean is not in her right mind now. She’s concerned about the situation with Scott and everything going on. It’s created a lot of stress and…”

“I don’t care.” Piotr interrupted quickly. “My only care is lying in that bed. That’s all I care about, all I want.”

Hank nodded and slowly left the room. Something told him that Jean’s attitude was not going to bring good things. Somehow, a tiny knot was forming in his gut that told him there was trouble the likes of which they’d never experienced on the horizon and it frightened him.
The Key to Hell by Shadowlady
Rogue paced between the window and the desk in the small office of the old building she’d been put in charge of. The word that had come to her about Angel wasn’t good, and the fact that Logan spent a good part of his time with Piotr at Xavier’s unsettled her even more.

She didn’t trust Jean any further than she could throw her, too much history; too many times the other woman had let her down for her to have any faith in her. If there had ever been any kindness within Jean Grey it had long since died out, or perhaps she’d never had any. Rogue didn’t know, nor did she care.

“Miss Rogue?” Soft, hesitant the voice drew her attention to the newest rescuee.

“Hello.”

“There’s a big man here to see you. Says his name’s Bulldog.”

Rogue nodded, “I’ll come and see him.” Rogue followed the young woman easily. The girl was fifteen, with long red hair, wide, big green eyes, and what was commonly referred to as a ‘fuck-me’ mouth. Rogue had met her at the park a week before looking like she wanted to be anywhere but where she was. She’d run from a broken home, hoping to find her real dad only to find herself struggling just to survive the streets.

“Rogue!” Bulldog’s booming voice drew a smile as she hurried toward the young man. Despite his formidable size and his skills, he rarely allowed himself to be provoked into violence. His heart was big and he hated the thought of hurting anyone or anything that didn’t deserve it. One of the reasons, Rogue thought, that he was so very good at being an Enforcer.

“How’s it going?”

“Good. I hear Angel’s doing okay.”

“Yeah I talked to Logan this morning before he headed to check on Piotr. She’s stable but still hasn’t regained consciousness. How about you guys? Piotr said to drop you some cash…”

Bulldog raised a hand and smiled, “Ain’t no need for that. Most of us haven’t spent all our pay anyway. We like to invest it.”

Rogue frowned at him. “What’s that mean?”

“If you check the books you’ll see there’s a monthly contribution from a conglomerate in Canada. One of the Caretakers up there started it.” He explained as they walked through the hallway. “She’s paying us to work for her, to hurt those that take advantage of kids. It was never asked for. We all put ten percent of each check into the account and monthly a deposit of twenty percent of the total account is deposited.”

“Uh twenty percent? Why that much? Why not all of it?”

“Angel has a bad habit of searching paper trails. If we made a full deposit she’d figure out the details and we’d all get the lecture about money and responsibility and how she owes us that money.” Bulldog admitted. “We use the other money for bills, for things that would be beneficial that she doesn’t know about.”

“Bulldog you realize that if she thinks you’re doing something that goes against the code…”

“We’re providing shelters for battered women and kids. Offering a safe haven for rape victims. Angel doesn’t know it but because of what she’s done for us we owe her. This way we can pass along the kindness and generosity that she’s revealed to us. Don’t tell her, Rogue. Don’t tell her about our plans. IF she thinks she’s failing us in some way…”

“I know. Right now though we have more pressing matters to deal with. I heard a rumor that the entire east coast Enforcer ranks have mobilized. That you’ve called them here. Why?”

“Because, it’s time to stop them before they do any more harm. Angel risked her life to save those three kids, risked her future with Piotr for them. She stood in the way of a man who lies and steals like it’s nothing. I may not be a college graduate with a fancy degree but I sure as hell ain’t about to let anyone or anything hurt her. The Enforcers that are coming here, that will be here within the next day or so are specialists. They can do what none other can.” Bulldog patted her on the shoulder. “We’re going to help ourselves in a way that some one else couldn’t, wouldn’t. It’s best if you don’t know the details.”

“You are not going to go against Xavier are you?”

“No. If they don’t want to release our people back to our care when the time comes, we’ll go get ‘em but for right now, we have more pressing issues. I merely want you to be aware that there are going to be unfamiliar faces within these walls soon, faces of men and women who have no mercy within them for those who steal from their victims.”

Rogue stared at the man before her. It didn’t surprise her that Angel’s prized warriors would think that way; it did however shock her that they would be so willing to kill for a woman who for all intents and purposes would survive. Though when she thought about it she realized it shouldn’t; Angel had always been willing to risk life and limb for these people, had never allowed their history, their faults, their sins to affect her perception of them.

A sudden chill crept over her and she shivered as Bulldog smiled at her and hurried off. Somewhere out there a monster sat, unaware of his penance coming, unaware of the cost of his sins. Soon, soon he’d be aware, soon he’d know and when that happened, Rogue hoped that she was kept out of the picture. She didn’t want to know what Angel’s Enforcers were going to do – not this time anyway.



Bulldog parked the van in the shadows of the airport terminal and waited. The northern Enforcers had opted to take the LFAA’s private jet and he would wait for the. A slow smile crossed his face as he thought of the money they’d saved, the money they’d raised to purchase the jet. He snickered, purchase hell. They’d all but stole it under the guise of a failure on the part of the airplane manufacturer.

He straightened as he caught sight of the tall, thin man who strode through the shadows fearlessly. If Tinker had made it then the others were close by. He didn’t move as the side door was pulled open and several bodies piled in from the shadows.

“Tinker’ll be here in a second. Wanted to talk to the pilot.”

“You mean they wanted to make out.”

“Least ways he’s got a woman.”

“Enough.” Bulldog ground out. “We ain’t gathering for no picnic.”

“How is she?”

Bulldog glanced in the mirror at the blue eyes of Ghost and shrugged, “Stable but unconscious.”

“We going to get her?”

“Going after a monster. She’s with Piotr.”

“Who?” Ghost frowned quickly. The name was completely unfamiliar.

Bulldog smiled as the passenger door opened and Tinker folded himself into the seat. “Piotr Rasputin, otherwise known as Tin-man. He’s head of security and Angel’s…”

“You mean she went and got a man to advise her?” Ghost snorted in derision.

“No, she went and got a man to love her.” Bulldog pulled out smoothly, flowing easily into the traffic. “He’s her fiancé and her wing man. Anything you need, you ask him. No exceptions.”

The six men and two women who’d gotten into the van exchanged glances. “Where does that leave us?”

Bulldog sighed and glanced at the mirror again. “You are her Specialists. Neither Angel nor Piotr are aware of this little gathering. The only one who is aware is Rogue…”

“The Rogue? The woman in that picture on the wall in Selkirk?” Ghost leaned forward. “That Rogue?”

“Yes.”

Exchanging another glance the group turned to Ghost who shifted uncomfortably. “Does she know what we do?”

“Not in detail.” Bulldog replied. “But she knows enough.”

“Is she like us?”

“She’s Logan’s woman,” Bulldog snapped. “What more do you want from her?”

“We don’t want to be judged…”

“Rogue is the last person who would judge you. She’s spent months on the streets alone, before Logan came along. Trust her, trust him, it’s time to up the anti and I ain’t about to let that monster get another drop of blood from us or another soul. Angel deserves that much.”

Ghost nodded and relaxed in her seat. There would be time to focus, time to plan their attack. For now, she would rest, she would gather information and she would do it with the same dignity she’d been given.
Recon Begins by Shadowlady
Author's Notes:
Angel's Specialist take the first steps to destroy a monster.
Bulldog sat in the driver’s seat of the black sedan and stared across the street. The tall, modern building with its massive glass windows sat in an upscale business district. The sign out front revealed the nature of the business and he swore softly.

“What kind of monster are we dealing with?” Ghost asked softly as she closed the door, a cup of steaming coffee in one hand.

“The worst kind.” Bulldog ground out and reached for the key. “We need someone to go in, someone who can pass as a possible client.”

“I know someone.” Ghost smiled cruelly and shifted. “Come on, I’ll fill her in when we get back to the house.”

Driving steadily, silently, Bulldog pulled up in front of the apartment building that he used as a front. No one, not even Angel knew about the older kids, or the women he’d taken in and he wanted to keep it that way. He didn’t want anyone asking questions about those who were in his care to die. Not even Angel, who would take their deaths much more personally than anyone else.

Leading Ghost up the steps into his apartment he closed the door and tossed the keys aside as the other specialists turned from the television to stare at them.

“Well?”

“We’re going to have to go in to his work.” Ghost stated moving to the counter to pour another cup of coffee.

“Where does he work?”

Exchanging a glance, Bulldog shifted uncomfortably. “For one of the larger law firms in the city. I’ve heard of them and they handle a lot of family law, custody, abuse, divorce that sort of thing.”

“That sick bastard.”

“Yeah. So we need someone to go in posing as a client and get as much information as they can about him. It’ll have to be a woman, one who isn’t going to break and run…”

“I’ll do it.” Soft, almost tender, the words drew everyone’s attention to the normally silent woman who sat nursing a cup of tea.

“Emily it’s a hard task. You’ve…”

“I know the risks.” Emily rose and moved to stare out the window. She wasn’t looking at the shiny cars, or the clean streets. Instead she was remembering the horror of what Mentor had done to her, what she’d endured at his whims.

She could still remember the stench of the room she spent her time in, the room she was raped repeatedly in until Angel came along. Small, maybe ten feet square, with a bedpan in one corner, and a rickety bed in the other. The small table by the bed had held the tools of the trade, condoms, emergency contraceptives, and other sexual aides. Things she had no remorse of not seeing again.

The last time that door had opened, she’d been huddled on the bed, a puddle of fluid beneath her as the man who’d crawled off her after he’d come dressed. She’d thought it was her dad, thought he’d brought another customer but it hadn’t been.

The light had surrounded a tall, stately woman. Her curves framed by the bright white of the lit room behind her. Her face had been cast in shadows, but it hadn’t dawned on Emily to be anything but terrified. When she’d seen her, she’d automatically thought that Mentor had a new degradation in mind.

The remembered screams of the man echoed within her head, even now as she pictured what Angel had done. The man had begged for mercy, offered money, everything he could think of and Angel had slowly; painfully beat him until he was barely able to stay conscious. Wrapped in several blankets and handed to a tall, broad shouldered boy, Emily didn’t have the strength to fight him as he carried her out of that shack and into the cool night air.


“Emily?” Ghost moved closer to the other woman.

“I’ll go in.” Emily replied firmly. “I can get closer to him than you can. He’ll never know what I want until it’s too late.”

“I’ll go with you,” Tinker drawled rising to his feet. The most ‘normal’ in appearance, he kept his tattoos hidden, kept his secrets under layers of clothe and metal. He could easily pass for a husband to a stunning woman, where as the others were more likely to draw attention simply because they bore the evidence of their lives before Angel’s organization.

“I can do it by myself. He’s not my father…”

Tinker nodded quickly. “I realize that. I’m going to provide backup. You keep him talking; I’ll get whatever I can about him from their computer system.”

Emily smiled softly. “Let’s go then. Its lunchtime, if we get there shortly, his secretary might not be there and we can hopefully get a bit more information before anyone’s the wiser.”

“Be careful. Don’t let anyone know what you’re after. If you need help, just beep us and we’ll be there.” Bulldog ordered. “I’m gonna check on the bosses, and get things organized for Judgment.”

Emily and Tinker nodded and exited quickly. Their mission clear, their desire to kill stronger than their feelings of mercy.



“Well?” Emily turned to Tinker.

“I’m going for personal information. Wife, kids, that sort of thing, if you need anything in particular…”

Emily smiled, a twisted, harsh look on her beautiful face. “I’ll just reach into his head and twist his mind until he tells me what I want to know.”

Tinker chuckled, “Remind me never piss off a telepath.”

“Gotcha.”

With her hand in Tinker’s elbow she cross the parking lot and entered the building. A wave of cool, refreshing air hit them as the doors closed on the summer heat. Putting on the business personas they needed, they headed for the elevators. No point in wasting time when you knew where you were going.



Walter Jamison III glanced up at a soft knock upon his office door, a look of disgust and impatience upon his face. “I said I didn’t want to be disturbed Sally.”

“Oh, I’m sorry.” Emily cooed stepping into the room slowly. “I uh must have made a mistake. I had an appointment to speak to Mr. Lanvers about my custody…”

Walter rose smoothly, the blonde before him was one of Lanvers clients, but he felt no compunction about stealing her away. The commission he’d make would be more than adequate to replace his retrieval expert.

“Please, come in. How may I be of assistance?” He offered her a chair as a tall, sandy haired man stepped into the room.

“This is my husband Tomas,” Emily batted her lashes, and dabbed at her eyes as he sat down next to her. It wouldn’t take long to establish a link to the man’s computer, a simple movement that Tinker could do with his eyes closed. “We’ve only been married a short time and my ex-husband David, wants to sue me for…” she paused to sob dramatically. “Excuse me, to sue me for custody of my daughter. If I lost my child I’d be devastated.”

“Well, I’m sure we can think of something. Perhaps you could tell me what I need to know, and I can suggest a course of action.” Walter declared. “Being a family man myself, I am fully aware of how devoted parents can be.”

Emily glanced at Tinker out of the corner of her eye as he leaned forward, his hands between his legs as she shifted, uncrossing and recrossing her legs. She noted the monster eyed the move, even as she saw Tinker slide the small device into place on the back of the computer.


Thirty five minutes later Emily followed Tinker to the small grey car they were driving and slid into the passenger side. She took the small chip and slid it into the laptop she had under her seat. A few minutes later she was scrolling through his records, going for the details that would kill him.

“Got it.” Emily smirked at her cohort. “Lets get back to base, we’re going to play tonight.
Alliances and Secrets by Shadowlady
The silence of the room seemed to throb like a festering, rotting wound as everyone stared at Emily. She unfolded the laptop and plugged in the cable to the television screen. “This is the house.” She stated calmly. “You’ll note that there are floor plans and I want you to be sure you’ve got them memorized. We’re not taking in a map.”

Ghost glanced at the others before focusing on Bulldog who simply nodded. There would be no tenderness, no compassion this night. Whoever got in the way would either be terminated or evacuated. Inhaling a deep breath, she focused on that small part of her mind that controlled her gift. She would need her powers, need to see inside the souls of those they were going to see.

“It’s a fairly common layout, three bedrooms upstairs, den and living area downstairs. Kitchen is off to the right. There are three exits,” Emily pointed them out. “A set of patio doors, a backdoor on the east side of the house, and the front door. I hacked into the computer system of his security company; it’s got a low level wired system. Codec24 to be exact, which means that Tinker’ll have it disabled remotely before we get to the turn off for his block.”

“Family?” Ghost asked softly.

“He’s got a wife and three girls. His wife is named Elaine and his daughters range in age from one to twelve. Ghost, you’re gonna have to be the one to find out if there’s been abuse.” Emily swallowed, “I can read their minds but I’d rather not. This will be traumatic enough without having someone violate their bodies like that.”

Ghost nodded. Their souls would reveal all the secrets without the bodies being aware. “Animals?”

“No. Apparently, Elaine is allergic to pet dander which works in our favor.” Emily paused as Bulldog’s cell rang.

“Excuse me.” Bulldog stepped into the other room and closed the door. He pushed a button and held the small device to his ear. “Hello, Bulldog speaking.”

“How’s it going?” Deke’s voice drifted over the line.

“We’re on schedule. Have you talked to Piotr lately?”

“Earlier today. Angel still hasn’t woken up, but he’s hopeful. Logan’s out of the picture for now. I called and sent him with Rogue to Milwaukee. Said we were looking at a new property and wanted him to take care of that since Piotr couldn’t. I don’t expect them back until tomorrow morning.”

“Good. The team is nearly ready to move out. Be prepared to have an emergency evac done. If things go south, I want to be prepared.”

“Hey, we’re trained professionals. Don’t worry ‘bout us.” Deke chuckled humorlessly. “Besides, you and I both know that we can do this without any problems. Where’s the evac going? Your place or…”

“We’ll see. I’ve got a temp apartment set for a few days if it’s needed but the truth is that we’ll have to figure out a permanent placement for them. I want you to contact Witchdoctor and get her on that part of this.”

“What’s Angel going to say?”

“What’s she going to say?” Bulldog replied. “She doesn’t even know about our own little ‘team’ within her organization. Do you want her to know? Do you really want to watch her go through the hell that death brings to her on a regular basis?”

“Piotr should be told.”

“In good time. Right now we’ve got this matter to deal with. I’ll fill Piotr in on our activities and such when it’s advisable. Until then, we must keep this quiet. Am I understood?”

“Sure boss man, just saying Angel needs to be sheltered from this even more than anyone else. I’ll keep up my end, just be sure you do the same.” Deke replied.

“What about Jack?”

“You and I both know what he’ll say.” Deke replied. “He’s been behind us every step of the way, and that ain’t about to change now.”

“Let me know if you need anything.” Bulldog hung up quickly and stepped back out into the meeting. He cast a glance around at the assembled bodies and sighed. He felt a tinge of guilt at the way they’d kept Angel unawares but it was necessary. She’d risked so much for all of them, and continued to risk it all. They owed that woman more than just a bit of muscle, each of them had a normal life thanks to her efforts and if killing someone was the payment for that… then so be it.

“Who was that?” Emily paused in her presentation.

“Deke. He’s concerned.”

“About what?”

“Keeping Angel out of the picture.” Bulldog tossed aside his phone. “We’ve managed to limit her awareness to our positions within her teams. He’s concerned that she’s going to figure out that we’re doing more than just the simple pick ups and beatings that we’ve been doing.”

Ghost glanced at the others before rising and walking toward him. “So how do we keep her unaware? I’d rather be dead than have her know about the blood I’m wading in.”

“Angel wouldn’t pass judgment upon us.” Bulldog drawled. “She’d simply take it as not having done enough. Angel offered all of us a chance, I’ll be damned if I’m going to turn my back on that.”

“So what do we do?” Tinker demanded. “We’re specialists. We’re killers, devoid of emotion, does she not…”

“Angel is injured; she’s out of commission for now. I want to allow her to keep her naivety about us. I will not turn my back on our mission. We all took an oath, Tinker. Remember? Our job is to Enforce the will of the LFAA. To protect and serve those whose souls have been bartered for a few dollars. That is what we’re going to do. Now, as her Specialists, let’s show this bastard what happens when you cross hairs with us.”

The slow, dark grin that spread across their faces told of their views on the matter. They would protect the one who’d protected them even as they sought vengeance and reckoning from one who wallowed in evil.
The Truth about the Night by Shadowlady
The purr of the engine died silently as the team parked in the shadows behind the two story rancher. Sliding out into the night, they glanced around searching for any signs of security.

From off in the distance a dog barked, and the sound of a horn ripped the silence apart but other than that it was as though everyone in the neighborhood dreamed on, unaware of the ogre in their midst.

“Ghost, Emily. You’re working together. Access the rear patio door to gain entry. Tinker, you and your boys’ll enter the master bedroom. Liam, Daug, you’re with me. We’re going to collect the kids. Use tranquillizers if you feel the need to.” Bulldog ordered softly. “We’re here to kill his soul before that filth he calls a body.”

Ghost smirked slightly and tapped her friend on the shoulder. Soundlessly they glided through the shadows and into the space beneath a small, yellow bulb that threw light over the back yard. Reaching up she twisted the bulb, sending them into darkness as Emily worked the lock quickly.
Entering the kitchen, the two women made short work of tossing the ropes on the table before moving into place. From above them, the sounds of a scuffle could be heard, including a feminine voice calling out a moment before all fell silent.

Exchanging a glance they moved over to turn on the hood light and wait. This was something they were very well equipped to do, and they did it with chilling skill.

“What’s the meaning of this?” Elaine Jamison demanded as she was hustled into the kitchen. Dressed in nothing more than the silk nightie she’d worn to bed she jumped and gave a startled squeak when she saw the two figures cast in shadows in her kitchen. The heavy grip on her shoulder forced her into a chair and she stared at the group as they moved to quickly bind her.

A few seconds later she sobbed out a protest as her three daughters were brought into the room. “Please, please. Just leave them alone. They’re innocent, babies, please, I’m begging you. Take the money, the car, the television set, just don’t hurt my babies.”

“Shut up.” Emily ground out. “Where’s your husband?”

“H..h…he’s working late. He had to go to some function at a school not to far from here. He’ll be home within the next few minutes.” Elaine prattled on as her kids sat huddled together in fear. She struggled against the rope binding her when one of them moved over to sink to her heels next to the girls. “Please, I’m begging you! Please, just let…”

“Shh.” Ghost smiled at the older girls. “Hey. You uh had a rough night huh?”

The only response she got was two terrified shrugs and the baby’s whimper. Reaching out a hand she trailed a hand through the oldest girl’s hair. A moment later she closed her eyes, sinking into the mire and murk of her gift’s effects. Like a movie on fast forward the girl’s life flashed before her eyes, memories of happy days filled her minds eye. It was only the most recent ones that were becoming fuzzy and darker.

Rising to her feet she turned and glanced at her team-mates. “It started.”

“How bad?” Bulldog demanded.

“Singling out, pampering, the beginning steps. There’s been some contact as well. Mostly oral…”

“What are you babbling about?” Elaine gasped, kicking out and staring at the intruders. “Don’t touch my daughters!”

“And the other ones?” Emily asked softly.

Repeat the same motions over and over again, Ghost read the girls’ souls clearly, seeing the truth that brought a sigh of relief. “Not yet.”

“When exactly is your husband due home?”

Elaine glanced tearfully at the clock. “Five minutes from now.”

“What do you think?” Emily stared at Bulldog.

“Evac the kids.” Bulldog smiled charmingly at the woman sitting trussed up. “Take ‘em to a safe house.”

“Pandora’s?”

“Pandora’s.”

Emily and Ghost gathered the three youngsters and ushered them out the door even as they heard Elaine being gagged. A shared glance between them and a moment later the girls were buckled into the backseat of their mother’s car.

“Relax,” Emily smiled at them. “Daddy ain’t going to hurt you every again. Any of you.”

“He’ll bring us back. Bring me back.” The eldest declared void of any emotion. “He says I can’t escape him.”

Emily glanced at Ghost and shrugged. “Just get some sleep. You’re going to need it.”



Elaine watched the eleven men in her kitchen, the fear choking her as they raided her cupboards and fridge. The rope burned as she struggled, the night air was cold upon her bare flesh, and the men didn’t seem in any hurry to leave. Gasping and choking through the gag she watched as one sat down across from her and stare at her heaving chest.

“Please God, don’t let them hurt me or my babies.” she prayed. The sound of her husband’s car in the drive did little to ease her fear, rather she felt the fear deepen into a physical pain within her body.

“Hubby’s home.” The snicker drew a muffled snob.

“Elaine? What the hell is going on?” Walter bellowed as he moved into the living room. “I told you before….” He froze in the kitchen doorway to stare at the picture he saw. His wife sat bound and gagged, and hulking men occupied his kitchen.

“Come in and sit down,” Bulldog invited and grabbed him. Tossing him at the wall, he watched Walter Jamison slid to the floor with a scared, hate filled look upon his face.

“What is it you want? Money? A little entertainment?”

“We’ve already got it.” Tinker drawled stepping on the man’s thighs, holding him in place. “You and your pretty wife there are going to provide us with sport, and then, we’re going to kill you.”

Walter shook his head. “I don’t know who you think you are but…”

“We’re specialists.” Tinker jerked him forward and smirked at him. A quick jerk of his hand and the man was laying face down on the floor, his hands and feet quickly bound. “And we don’t have the patience to behave.”

“What are you going to do to me?”

“We’re going to do to you what you’ve been doing to the kids you keep, to your own daughter!” Tinker whispered. “And then, we’re going to do your wife!”

Elaine shook her head desperately as she stared at them. Screaming into the gag, she watched as the men methodically stripped her husband before moving him closer to the stove. Closing her eyes, she flinched with each sound of flesh meeting flesh, even as she heard him screaming in agony.

She lost track of time as the men beat her husband, until she jerked her eyes open to stare at one of them. The softest of caresses upon her face belied the violence she’d listened to and she glared at him. “Dmmm oooo.” She swore.

“No.” Stalker shook his head and hunkered down before her. “I’m going to take this gag off, and I want you to ask him why. Tell him to explain to you why he’s lying there slowly bleeding to death.”

Elaine glanced at her husband in shock. True to the man’s statement, he was a bloody, banged up mess. His face was swollen and black, and there was blood and bruises all over the rest of his body. His penis had been severed, it lay oozing blood a few inches from his body as he lay jerking in shock.

Licking her dry lips she stared at him, “Walter? What’s going on?” She whimpered.

He shook his head desperately, for her to know was even worse than a stranger. It meant he had no clean access to the one he desired.

“Walter for the love of God, tell me.” Elaine pleaded.

“Tell her Walter. Tell her how you’ve been selling young girls and boys into sexual slavery. How you’ve been taking the kids off the street and throwing them to the wolves. Tell them all about how you sent your retriever to pick up a pair of kids, so young they didn’t even know what the word sex means. Tell her all about what you were going to do with them?” Tinker ground out. “What’s the matter? Cat got your tongue?”

Walter shook his head, desperation and rage growing within him. He had to escape, had to get away, had to protect his industry even if it meant leaving the woman staring at him in growing horror.

“Is that true?” Elaine whispered looking from each of the men to her husband. “Is that what you’ve been doing?”

Bulldog threw the thick file on the table and opened it to a picture of one of the girls they’d taken from Walter Jamison’s stable. Slowly, with a great deal of pleasure he flipped each picture, each image before her eyes. “You have a lot of fun fuckin’ him? Does he turn you on?”

Elaine shook her head, her breath coming in broken, gasping sobs. It couldn’t be, there was no reason for this horror to be. Walter was a fine, successful, lawyer. He didn’t need to sell anyone into sexual slavery. These men were lying, they’d stolen her children from the house and when the police…

“If you’re thinking of calling the police. Don’t.” Bulldog whispered. “See, they won’t believe you. After all, he roughed you up, threatened to go after the kids and you did what you had to to save them. Like I said, we’re specialist. It’s your choice.” He paused carefully. “Your kids or him.”

“My children.” Elaine croaked painfully.

“Thought that’s what you’d say.” He grinned. “Evac her.”

“What about him?” Elaine rose shakily to her feet.

“Oh, we have friends who’ll help clean up.” Tinker laughed and opened the small cage he’d brought in. Setting it down, they watched several large, plump rats scurry out of it and across the floor.

Elaine shivered as the night air caressed her skin. She glanced at the man to her right sharply when he wrapped a warm blanket around her shoulders.

“We were never after you.” He whispered. “Just him. Just the monster that would have killed one of us, that nearly did. Come on, you’re safe and the girls are as well. We’ll take you to them.”

Elaine nodded and crawled into the dark van. She sat huddled in her seat as it started down the street. She didn’t know how to go on, not now when she knew the full level of the monster her husband had been.
A broken oath by Shadowlady
Piotr shifted in the chair and glanced at the still figure next to him. He’d lost track of time since she’d been shot, he wasn’t sure if they’d been stuck here for a couple of days or a few weeks. All he knew was that Angel didn’t seem to be getting any better, despite Hank’s claims that they’d taken her off the sedatives.

Rising he paced the confines of the room, each step measured, his thoughts running wild. How could anyone see the woman before them and not want to help her? How could Jean be so cold as to be judgmental about someone she’d never met before the party here? Piotr didn’t for one moment believe it had anything to do with Scott and his infidelity, no it was something deeper, something darker.

A soft sigh from the bed and he hurried to rest a comforting hand on Angel’s shoulder. “Shh, you’re safe. I’m here and I’ll never let anyone hurt you.” He whispered in her ear. “Just rest, heal and come back to me. To us. We all need you.”

“Good morning, Piotr.” Hank’s voice had him whipping around to stare at the blue doctor.

Hank chose to ignore the hostility in the young man’s eyes; instead he moved to check the monitors and gauges for any activity during the night. Careful to keep his face a careful, cheerful mask, he read through the printouts. A bolt of shock went through him as he saw a discrepancy that shouldn’t have been on the chart.

“What?” Piotr demanded stalking toward him. “What’s wrong?”

“Were you here all night?” Hank asked quickly.

“Yeah, I think so.” Piotr frowned as he wracked his brain for the information he needed. He froze when he came to a slightly fuzzy point, something telling him that it wasn’t simply a matter of him being asleep. “I’ve got a hitch in my memories though. It’s like they don’t add up…”

Hank watched Piotr’s face darken with rage and sighed. “Relax, Piotr. There’s no point in going off on a rampage. We’ll simply figure this out. You stay with Angel and I’ll go talk to Jean. She was on duty last night.”

“I never saw her at all.” Piotr ground out. “But if she was down here and did something, you can be damn sure I’m gonna rip her heart out!”

Hank nodded and hurried out of the room. There was no point in telling Piotr to calm down, the young man was fiercely protective of this girlfriend and wouldn’t listen anyway. With the data in hand, he started for the kitchen where he’d last seen Jean Grey.

“And I’m telling you that there is no such person here.” Jean’s voice drifted from the front door and Hank adjusted his projectory to head that direction. He paused beside the stairwell and watched the figures at the door.

“Don’t give me that crap lady, I’ve been doing this for a lot of years I know when I’m being lied to. Either you let me in to see my patient or I’ll bring back my team. You don’t wanna mess with me.”

“Then by all means go bring your team back. There ain’t anyone by that name here.” Jean snarled and slammed the door in the man’s face. Turning she froze as she recognized the hulking figure watching her. “What?”

“Who was that?”

“Some ‘doctor’. Probably got his licence out of a cereal box.” Jean muttered. “Looking for someone named Angel.”

“That’s the woman we currently have downstairs recovering from her wound.” Hank gasped. “How could you turn him away? He’d have removed her from the mansion, from your precious vicinity.”

Jean shrugged, “That thing downstairs is not of any importance to me. She could die today and it wouldn’t bother me in the least.”

“Perhaps it should. Do you have any idea what you’ve done?” Hank gaped at her. “Do you not understand that the people she can command are not going to take kindly to having their doctor turned away?”

“Is there something you wanted, Hank? Or was the point of you skulking around was to spy on me?”

“What’s the meaning of this?” Hank held up the papers. “Care to explain to me why her vitals would take a sharp drop at three a.m. before spiking within minutes? She’s stable now, how much of that is her mutation, and how much of that is Piotr’s care I’m not sure but the mere fact that…”

“I gave her a mild sedative.” Jean shrugged as she headed for the kitchen and a cup of coffee. “It’s not my problem if she can’t handle the drugs.”

Hank stared after Jean in shock, his uneasy feeling growing until it was real fear. Something told him that when those Angel and Piotr worked with realized what exactly was happening, Jean’s bitterness would cost the entire mansion.


Grumbling under his breath Dr. Morgan Joshua slammed the car door before stomping up the walkway. He paused for a moment to dig out the key before stepping into the warm comfort of the house only to freeze at the slow, deadly click of a hammer being cocked.

“Don’t move.”

“I’m Doc Joshua, I work for Angel.” He started, raising his hands. “I have ID.”

“Then reach really slowly and get it.”

Moving slowly, Doc dug out his wallet and flipped it open to reveal his drivers license, and the ID card Angel insisted he carry at all times. With so many to care for, he needed all the backup he could get. Holding out his hand he offered the slim leather to the girl holding the gun and waited.

He watched her read over the words and glance sharply at him. “Sorry Doc, we’re being extra careful. When I heard you pull up my first thought was…”

“No need to explain.” Doc smiled softly. “Uh can I put my hands down?”

“Sure.” Witchdoctor drawled. “Come on in, would you like some coffee.”

“Sure. Coffee would be wonderful. Is there anyone from the senior council here?”

“Just me. I’m in charge until Logan and Rogue get back, which should be any time now. Why?”

“I stopped off at that address Deke gave me. You know that fancy mansion.” Doc sighed as he sank down onto a stool and took the offered cup of coffee. “Damn bitch that answered the door told me Angel wasn’t there.”

“She’s there!” Witchdoctor gasped. “Piotr’s with her!”

“Then we need to get a hold of him. Because they won’t let me in to even look at her.”

“This isn’t right,” She muttered grabbing another cup and setting down opposite the older man. “Angel’s strong. I don’t understand why she hasn’t even woken up. I’ve talked to Piotr regularly in the past few days and she’s still sleeping. Maybe it’s her mutation keeping her under so she can heal…”

“Personally, I think it has something to do with that red-headed ...uh…person.” He tempered his words as a youngster walked by the doorway. “I’m open to suggestions. I need to get in there and see her. If I know what’s going on then I can treat her.”

“I’ll call in the available Enforcers.” Witchdoctor reached for the phone. “I hope you don’t mind a bit of muscle, because if we have to take her back…we damn sure will.”

Doc shrugged and took another sip of his coffee. “Whenever you’re ready.”

Punching in the number, she listened to the rings.

“Bulldog here.”

“It’s Witchdoctor, we’ve got a problem.”

“We’re on our way.”

Witchdoctor listened to the dial tone and shivered. Xavier might have mutants under his command, but Angel had something else. She had specialists who had no compunction for violence, and there was someone already on the inside. With a slow, steady, dark smirk she reached for her coffee. Today would prove to be very busy.
Full Circle by Shadowlady
The massive brick and mortar structure did little to impress or intimidate as four newer, dark vehicles rolled to a stop in front of it. The doors opened as the occupants slid out into the sunshine of late morning.

“What do you wanna do?” Bulldog turned to Doc, an eyebrow jacked up.

“I need to speak to Piotr or Angel if she’s conscious. I need to know exactly what we’re dealing with. The only way to do that is for one of them to come out here, or for us to go in there.”

“We go in.” Bulldog declared checking the chamber of his .45 semi-automatic hand gun. He glanced up at a startled gasp to see a small, delicate looking girl staring at him. A moment later she darted away, stumbling into the building and slamming the door.

“Trouble?”

“For them maybe.” He replied and started up the steps. “Beta team, remain here. If we need your assistance, I’ll signal.”

Emily nodded and glanced at her teammates. The residents would never know what hit them, and she had no intention of lessening the shock. Leaning back against the fender of the suburban she crossed her arms over her chest and waited.



Charles glanced up sharply at the sudden sensation of controlled violence. A glance around the room revealed his pupils deep into the studies and he shifted in his chair. A moment later the entire room stared at the door.

Charles assessed the giant in the doorway. Well over six foot five, the man easily topped three hundred pounds, yet he was lean and wiry. His barrel chest stretched the material of his shirt easily, and he smirked at the stares. Charles swallowed uneasily as the man shifted, resting the barrel of a shotgun on one shoulder, the other hand gripping the door.

“What is the meaning of this?” he demanded angrily, the shock receding slightly.

“Y’all got something of ours and we come to collect.”

“I assure you I don’t know…”

“The red-head where is she?” Doc demanded pushing past Bulldog. “The one I spoke to earlier.”

“Earlier?”

“Yeah, Wheels. You know about this tall, green eyes, a bitch with a capital ‘T’.” Witchdoctor drawled sarcastically. “If you don’t know where she is, we’ll be only too happy to look.”

“Why do you wish to speak to her?” Charles sat up proudly. “She is one of our treating physicians and…”

“Don’t try to sell her to us, we want to talk to her. Now as I said, either tell us where to find her or we’ll look.” Witchdoctor snarled. “And we ain’t exactly house broken…if you get my meaning.”

“Kitty, please run and ask Dr. Grey to come here.” Charles said softly.

“Yes sir.” Kitty slipped out of the room.



Hank glanced up at the sound of heavy steps in the hallway. Putting down his glasses he walked over and opened the lab doors. Stepping out he swallowed at the gun pointed at his skull.

“Where is she?”

“Who?”

“Angel? Or Piotr.” Deke demanded. “I won’t kill you as long as you take me to them.”

“Piotr’s with Angel, this way.” Hank gestured down the hallway. He punched in the security code as the doors swung open and stepped back only to grunt as he was shoved into the room along with his kidnapper.

“Hey bossman!” Deke shoved the blue furry man across the room and stalked over to where Piotr sat next to Angel’s still form. “How’s she doing?”

“Good. Stable.” Piotr frowned. “What are you doing here?”

“Doc came by earlier this morning to get you and got turned away.” Deke said looking over Angel. He’d never seen her in any light but the steady, strong woman who fought tooth and nail for the kids she’d elected to save.

“Doc was here?” Piotr glared at Hank. “Why wasn’t I told? What good would come of turning…?”

“I had no say.” Hank started. “Jean had already turned him away by the time I was able to interfere.”

“Stupid bitch.” Deke ground out. “Angel able to be moved?”

“She’s stable but she needs to be monitored. She’s far from healed…” Hank started.

“Our doctor can monitor her from our facilities. Where are those release forms you doctors love to hang onto?”

Hank moved over to his desk and pulled out the paperwork. “Please understand, I’m doing my best to care for her.”

“Sure you are.” Deke grunted and moved toward the door. He turned slowly to glare at the large doctor when there was only a slight beep followed by a metallic sounding click. “What was that?”

“Security lock.” Hank admitted.

“Unlock the door.”

“If I don’t?” Hank glanced between the two men uneasily.

“I’ll rip your heart out.” Deke replied calmly. “If he doesn’t beat me to it. All we want is her, nothing else. We wouldn’t even be here if you’d let Doc in this morning!”

“One moment.” Hank moved over to the key pad and punched in the security release code. A moment later the door swooshed open and he glanced at the pair. With an ease that startled and amazed him, Piotr lifted the young woman even as the strange man took the IV bag and held it up as they started through the doors.

“Thank you.” Piotr whispered. “For everything.”

“You’re welcome.”

“Which way?” Deke asked as the doors slid shut.

“This way. Once we’re upstairs, you’ll have to take her outside. I’m going to have a chat with a certain red-headed bitch.”

Deke grinned, “Fraid you’re gonna have to get in line. Seems the Alpha Team decided the same thing.”

“Alpha team?”

Deke shrugged. “Lets get her loaded into the van and I’ll explain.”

The ride in the elevator was silent and quick. Piotr stepped out and headed for the front doors, followed quickly by Deke. He glared at Kitty who eyed him cautiously but didn’t make a move to stop him as they took Angel out to the waiting vehicles.

“She okay?” Emily asked.

“Doc still inside?”

“Yep.”

“I’ll send him out. You take her to the shelter. Keep a low profile and don’t stop for nothing.” Deke ordered calmly.

Emily nodded and crawled into the van, to start the engine with a graceful twist of her wrist. She glanced in the rearview mirror and sighed, as the doors were shut. The tall, dark haired man that had smoothed sheets over Angel’s body seemed level headed but there was so much emotion within him.

“Well?”

“We’re just waiting for Doc then we’re outta here.” Emily glanced at the mansion. “We’ll leave the boys to play.”

Witchdoctor nodded and leaned back in her seat. “Remind me to have a chat with Bulldog about introducing us to new Enforcers.”

Emily chuckled, “Lets get Angel home.”

“Yeah, then we can pace the floor in style.”

The van shifted and both women glanced behind them to the familiar figure pulling out a black bag. “Doc?”

“I need to assess her closely. Please take care when driving but get us there as quickly as possible.”

“Fast and safe.” Emily nodded and put the van into gear. “Alright, lets get this show on the road. What about the guys?”

“Piotr said they’d be along later. I think he’s a bit upset.”

“He really loves her, huh?”

“We all do.” Doc replied and bent to his work. Frankly, he didn’t even want to think of what Piotr would do about this situation, he’d heard how deadly the tall man could be when it came to hurting Angel and he felt a bolt of pity for Xavier’s doctor.
Awareness Sets In by Shadowlady
Charles watched carefully to see what the small group of men would do. He didn’t believe that his team couldn’t take them, after all only two were mutant but still. It was common knowledge that these people were a lot rougher than he was used to having in the school and he refused to do anything to irritate them and possibly endanger the students.

“I would like to assist you in any fashion. How can I be of assistance so that this conflict can be resolved?” Charles started.

“Don’t; don’t start that whole I’m your friend approach.” Piotr snapped closing the door behind him. “You knew what she was doing. You had to. You’ve known everything that happens here for so long, I don’t believe you didn’t know.”

“Are we back to that?” Jean huffed. “She’s gone; you got what you wanted…”

“Don’t talk to me!” Piotr rounded on Jean and glared at her. “Don’t stand there and act all wounded. We both know you would have gladly let her die if you thought you could’ve gotten away with it! You think I’m an idiot? You think because I’m big that I’m dumb? Wrong. I’ve done more with my time than you can think of. You sit around and pick and choose who you want to rescue, do they have a mutation? Are they dangerous? Can they fit into society? If you don’t think they’re worthy than you don’t give them the time of day!”

“Piotr calm down…” Charles started.

“I’ll tell you all about us. These men are specialists. They take out the targets that normal methods can’t. They kill for a living, and I work with them. We’re a team. You’re just some used up piece of society trash!” Piotr ground out. “Angel’s never done anything to you, and yet you despise her. Despise everything she’s ever tried to do and why? Because the people she helps don’t stand up to your standards! You seemed to like her well enough when she was here for that stupid fundraiser you held, but when you saw what she does, who she is you can’t stand her!”

“Oh really, and you think screwing a whore is the way to go?” Jean rolled her eyes. “She is what she is, you can’t…”

Piotr moved so quickly that no one had time to intercede when he armored up and slammed Jean into the wall. “You watch your mouth, or it’s gonna get you in trouble. Angel’s a hard working, decent, caring woman. You don’t have the guts to do what she does, not now, not ever. I’d rather spend the rest of my life working for LFAA than ever set foot in this place again. Be warned. Stay away from us, or I’ll personally deal with you. And I take a great deal of pleasure in hurting those that would hurt my Angel.”

“Be realistic Piotr, sooner or later you have to face the facts.”

“I don’t care who Scott’s fucking, or what your grudge is! You choose to be the way you are, a self-centered, malicious person. You wanna know what I see when I look at you, at her? Two very different people. Two different females. I see a woman who’s comfortable with being a woman when I look at her, I see someone who understands that there’s more to life than appearances, whose at ease with her sexuality, with her ability to be sexy. You’re trying too hard to be sexy, to be a woman…and failing miserably.”

“PIOTR!” Charles gasped in shock as he glanced between them.

“I’m done talking, Professor Xavier. Done trying to understand and be generous and forgiving. You have no idea what its like, do you? You sit there in that chair and look out over things with rose colored glasses on and forget those that have to pay for your sins. I’ll take the gutter trash over you any day, at least with them I know what to expect.”

“Piotr that’s unfair. We don’t pass judgment…” Storm started.

“Yes you do.” Dropping Jean to the floor, Piotr turned and stalked toward the door. “Mount up; I want a full break down of all the intel you managed to get on Elise’s boss.”

“Uh boss, he ain’t exactly in good shape…”

“Tell it to me on the way. I need a long hot shower to wash the filth of this place off me.”

“Seriously, there ain’t much to tell.”

Piotr glanced at Bulldog with a dark look. “What are you getting at?”

“We told you we’d take care of it,” Bulldog declared. “We took care of it. His wife and daughters are going through the system, relocation was the only option. He’s gone.”

“I want a detailed breakdown. We aren’t in the habit of pushing things under the carpet,” Piotr ground out as he stalked through the corridor. “I will not risk him reappearing to endanger those kids, or Angel any further…”

“He’s dead.” Bulldog grabbed Piotr’s arm as they stepped out into the warm sunlight. “We had a couple of cleaners go in and remove the blood and such from his home before his family was even out of Pandora’s place.”

“What the hell are you talking about?” Piotr glanced at the men staring at him. “Does this have something to do with the Alpha team?”

Bulldog exchanged a worried glance with Deke before shrugging. “The Alpha team isn’t the one you’re thinking of. It’s a special team, put together of some of the hardest, most dangerous men and women within the network of rescued kids. Angel doesn’t know about us, doesn’t know just how much we keep from her. If she knew it would destroy her.”

“Then why would you…?”

“Because, if we didn’t do what we do it would kill her. Angel takes the death of one of her kids so badly, we’ve all seen her. She either spends two days getting drunk or adding another inch to those damn tattoos. She doesn’t need to spend her time beating herself up over losing a life. We give back ten-fold what she offers us. It’s the only way we can do this.” Tinker drawled. “The Alpha team, is run by Bulldog’s shadow corporation. By that I mean, he has a couple of apartment buildings that he runs. They house people we’ve taken in, rape victims, battered and abused women and kids. Angel never failed us, we failed her. We couldn’t walk back into real life. We’d seen too much, had too much done to us.”

“Get in the trucks. We’ll discuss this when we get home.” Piotr snapped, shocked beyond words at what he’d been told. “And you will tell me everything. Every detail, every safe house, and every penny you spend. Right down to the amount of underwear you purchase!”

“Sure boss man,” Bulldog shrugged. “We’ll tell you everything, including details you don’t wanna know.”

“You have no idea what I want to know.” Piotr slammed the door on the Jimmy and started the engine. It was looking like a very busy, very long day and he didn’t know if he was going to like the outcome!
This story archived at http://wolverineandrogue.com/wrfa/viewstory.php?sid=2054