Two Wounded Hearts, One Complete Soul by J Marie T
Summary: A new mutant shares her unique gift with the team, giving them a glimpse of what their lives are like in a parallel universe.
Categories: X1 Characters: None
Genres: Shipper
Tags: None
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: Symmetry
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 58808 Read: 3324 Published: 09/30/2007 Updated: 09/30/2007

1. Chapter 1 by J Marie T

Chapter 1 by J Marie T
Author's Notes:
I want to say, "Merci beaucoup pour tout, mon meilleure amie," to my beta for her hard work on making this readable for all of you. And, Chris, thank you for your continued support and friendship, means more than I can say!
Scott Summers double and triple checked the Blackbird's coordinates against the intel Professor Xavier had supplied as he flawless brought the specially designed and equipped plane down for a landing. The carefully secluded house didn't look at all like he'd expected and it was apparent from the looks the rest of the group was sending his way that they were surprised as well.

Exiting the jet as a team, the mutant superheroes headed cautiously up the front walk, checking all directions for any signs of trouble. While the mission was mostly information retrieval, according to the professor, he'd made it sound like there was a good deal of potential for problems. That was the main reason Logan had agreed to go along but it wasn't really looking like it had been necessary.

By the time they made it half way down the front walk, the door opened and a tall but unassuming woman stepped out, carefully regarding each person in turn.

"Good afternoon," the woman greeted, addressing herself to the team in general before focusing on Scott. "I actually wasn't expecting you for another hour or so."

Cyclops quickly exchanged a glance with Jean before sweeping his gaze past Rogue to Logan then Ororo. "You were expecting us?"

Laughing, Chris nodded. "Of course. If you'd like to come inside I'd be more than happy to explain."

Wolverine's eyes narrowed and he sniffed the air like a wild animal searching for a threat. After a moment's deliberation, his gaze shifted to meet Cyke's. With an almost imperceptible nod, the animalistic man cleared the way for the group to proceed at Scott's command.

The all clear from Logan was all Cyclops needed to make his call. Charles Xavier had sent the team there for some important reason and he was ready to find out what that was. Starting forward, his team falling in behind, he swept a hand out in front of himself and the woman he'd paused beside. "Lead the way," he instructed, taking charge as was his strong suit.

With a smile, the woman turned and headed for the door, knowing without having to look that they were all behind her. She entered the front door and moved slowly down the hallway, gesturing the group into a room at the far end. "Please, everyone, come in and make yourselves comfortable," Christina said softly by way of encouragement.

The X-Men lead, as always, by their fearless leader, Cyclops, filed into the spacious living room and filled the variety of chairs and couches arranged around the room in a rectangular fashion. Storm settled first, into a comfortable looking overstuffed chair at the far end of the room that was covered by a throw depicting a gorgeous scene from a lightning storm. Jean, moving to follow Ororo, lowered herself to one end of a practical couch that proved to me far more comfortable than it looked. Across a large wooden coffee table, at the end of a far more comfortable looking couch, Rogue seated herself next to the weather goddess's chair. Logan then followed Marie and settled uncomfortably onto the couch next to her while Scott took a seat beside Jean. Chris waited until they were all settled before curling herself into the chair stationed opposite Storm and between the couches where Logan and Scott sat.

"It's always a little bit different," Chris stated reminiscently as she swept her gaze over the group and released a lightly sigh.

"What's always a little different?" Cyclops wanted to know. This mission had made no sense from the beginning and he, for one, was ready for answers.

Chris shifted in her chair to face him, tilting her head slightly as she peered at him with intelligent, wise eyes. "Charles didn't tell you?"

"Chuck didn't tell us shit," Logan scoffed loudly, his own irritation over the phantom mission quite clear.

A fond smile lightened Chris' features as she turned to Logan, a brow lifted slightly in amusement. "Ah, Logan, it's amazing how likeable you can be even when you are a complete ass."

Scott sniggered loudly but it was Marie's sharp cough that drew Logan's attention away from the woman beside him.

Trying to keep from being caught out laughing, Rogue turned her head toward Storm and continued to cough, one gloved hand coming up to the side her face to further block Logan's view, while the other covered the smile on her lips.

Shifting a quick glare at Chris, Logan raised a hand to Marie's back and patted it firmly to dislodge whatever it was she was choking on.

Finally able to get herself back under control, Rogue redistributed her weight on the couch so she was looking right at Chris. Lightly hitting her chest, she gave a couple of half-coughs and cleared her throat a few of times. "Sorry."

"You okay, kid?' Logan asked her, carefully studying her face.

"Ah'm fine," she returned, clearing her throat again at the tight sound of her voice.

"Okay," Logan nodded, "good." Turning back to the woman to his right, his brows furrowed together and the muscles in his jaw clenched tightly. "Then you can tell me what the hell you meant by that."

Chris just smiled taking careful notice of the fact that Logan's hand was still unconsciously rubbing the young woman's back. "It really is amazing how much you're all alike in each time."

"Look, lady," Logan began sharply rising to his feet, "either you start talkin' or we're walkin'."

"Quite right," she returned levelly. "My apologies, Logan."

He turned on her again, looming over her menacingly. "And just where the hell do you come off calling me Logan? I don't even know you."

"Ah, but I know you," Chris retorted meeting his gaze briefly before sweeping hers over the others, "I know all of you."

The team exchanged confused looks but no one said anything as the mysterious woman Professor Xavier sent them to started to speak again.

"I'm sorry, I don't mean to spook any of you. I'm just so familiar with all of you that I forget that you don't know me."

Logan started to say something but a raised hand from Chris miraculously silenced him.

"My name is Christina Sibyl and I, like all of you, am a mutant," she announced without pause. "Charles Xavier is an old and dear friend of mine and he asked me to sit down with all of you and show you why you are here, why your group is so important, why you all belong together."

"What do you mean?" Jean Grey asked, intrigued.

"As most, maybe all of you are unaware, time and space are not the constants that they are believed to be. The universe does not exist on one simple level but rather on a infinite number of varying stratums throughout time and space," Chris explained slowly.

"Meaning?" Storm questioned, seeing her bewilderment mirror on the faces of her peers.

Slowly Chris rose from her seat, striding in a slow circle around the outside of the chairs upon which the team was sitting. "Meaning that the life you are living here is only but one of the millions of lives that other Logan's and Ororo's and Marie's are living. My gift allows me to see and travel to those other layers of existence."

"Parallel universes," Jean announced suddenly, turning in her seat to look at Chris who had stopped behind her.

"That's right. What Charles wanted me to show you was how much you all belong together," Chris stated, her gaze shifting momentarily between Logan, who'd grudgingly returned to his seat, and Scott. "Of all the universes that I've visited, there are constants - the sun always rises in the east and sets in the west, the phrase of the moon, the changing of the seasons. There are other things as well that transcend time and space. Friendships that are deeper than the deepest oceans," she said looking to Jean and Ororo with an appreciative smile. Then her gaze shifted on, settling momentarily on Rogue and Logan. "Lovers that are truly destined to be together forever and are, no matter what." Pausing, Chris shifted her gaze quickly to Scott before she continued. "And of course there are the five of you and the other X-Men, current and future."

"So the professor wants you to show us these ... parallel universes?" Cyclops asked, not understanding what possible purpose it could serve.

Chris nodded as she returned to her chair and resumed her seat. "He felt tensions were starting to run a little high in a number of different areas and he felt that perhaps seeing how you all interact in another existence would help you here."

A snorting laugh from Logan was the only noise in the room as the rest of the group considered the possibilities.

"You doubt my ability, Logan," Chris stated outright.

Cocking an eyebrow, he shrugged his powerful shoulders. "Just don't see what difference it'll make what did or didn't happen somewhere else. We can't change anything."

"I beg to differ," she retorted. "Seeing that something is possible somewhere else that you didn't think was possible at all can effect change quickly." Due strictly to the nature of her ability, Chris knew things about each of her present visitors that gave her insight that they couldn't possibly know she had. "Of course one has to be willing to set aside their fear to make that change possible."

That comment got Logan's attention - and quick. His gruff exterior and devil may care attitude were as much a shield against his fear as anything. He was in no way a coward, but he kept himself at arm's length from the people that meant the most and refused to let others close at all. After everything he'd been through it was no wonder and no one blamed him but they all wished they could somehow reassure him.

"So tell me," Logan demanded harshly. "What do you and Chuck hope to accomplish with this little sideshow of yours, eh? You think it's gonna miraculously make us all one big happy family? Well I got news for you, lady, it ain't gonna be that easy."

Chris was nodding as he finished his loud tirade. "I never said it was going to be easy. Some of you are certainly better off as you are here then you are in some of the times I've seen you. What Charles hopes this will accomplish is simply for you all the recognize that what you have together is special and genuine and that despite differences in views and styles and temperaments, you all belong together, for better or worse."

"Why didn't the professor just tell us all this before we came?" Scott wanted to know. "Why turn it into a mission?"

"Perhaps this was the only way he felt he could get you all here," Chris suggested. "I've explained the situation, now the choice is yours. I'll give you a few minutes to discuss this privately then I'll be back," she told them before exiting through the only visible door, closing it behind her.

"What do you think, Scott?" Jean asked her fiancé softly, meeting his gaze briefly before sweeping it across the others.

"I think she's right, the professor probably didn't think we'd all agree to come if he'd told us what it was about," he announced after a momentary consideration. Slowly he looked at each member of his team through the ever-present ruby haze. "He obviously thought this was important or he wouldn't have gone to the trouble of getting us here but I think I have to agree with Logan - what's the point?"

Logan, looking none to pleased by Cyke's endorsement, scowled menacingly. "Well he's gonna hear 'bout this when we get back."

Jean lifted an eyebrow, looking to Ororo and Rogue for support. "I have to say that I'm intrigued. I think it'd be interesting to see into what our lives could have been."

"I must agree with Jean," Storm informed the team with a thoughtful expression. "This is an opportunity to see what we are capable of doing that we are not."

"'Member wha' she said though," Rogue interrupted, speaking softly, "some a us may be worse off than we are now."

Scott nodded, "True but we don't have to live it if they are. I'll admit that I'm curious too but I think this should be a unanimous decision. Either we all agree to do it or we all leave. Agreed?" Looking to each of the members of his team in turn, Scott collected the affirmative nods that they were all in agreement. "Okay, I think we should stay and see what the professor wanted her to show us. Jean?"

"I agree," she nodded enthusiastically.

"Storm?" Cyke asked.

"Yes," the weather goddess assured him quickly.

"Rogue?"

Marie's eyes darted to each of her companions in turn as she considered her decision. She knew that she was really the deciding factor since Logan would no doubt conform to her view as had been his way since returning from Canada knowing nothing more about himself than he had when he left. Rogue was curious. She'd always been interested in science fiction and here she had a chance to witness it up close and personal but she didn't want to force Logan to do something that he didn't want to do. And yet she didn't want to disappoint the others either.

Scott gave her a few more seconds to respond before he skipped over her and looked to Logan. "What do you say, Logan?"

Sensing Marie's indecision on his behalf and wanting to ease her burden more than actually wanting to see what that crazy woman had to show them, he made his call. "Why not, oughta be good for a couple of laughs."

"Rogue?" Cyke went back to her.

"Okay," she nodded slightly having been relieved of the pressure to make the call.

"Okay then," Scott said just as the door opened across the room.

"Are you ready to start now?" Chris asked as she moved back into the room, making her way back to her chair.

Logan could smell the confidence on her like a heavy perfume. "You knew we were gonna agree," he stated without pause.

Chris just smiled knowingly. "This may be all new to you but..." she let than hang in the air as she took her seat again. Closing her eyes, she took a series of long, deep breaths, centering herself as she prepared to begin. After a few moments she opened her eyes again and offered a hand to the man on either side of her. "We need to join hands," she informed them waiting until the circle was completed before continuing. "Close your eyes," she ordered, pausing again until everyone had complied. "Before we begin I want to assure each of you that anything of a truly personal nature will not be viewed by the group in general. There are some situations in this line that only those directly involved will be able to see."

Rogue swallowed a gasp as the pressure from Logan's hand tightened to painful proportions at that piece of information. If it hadn't been for her superior strength, he would have broken her hand in several places already. Biting down on her bottom lip, she returned the grip until his fingers loosened slightly. The sound of Chris' melodic voice drew her attention once again as a mysterious vapor began to dance in front of her eyes, eyes that were still shut and shouldn't have been able to see.

Startled by the revelation, Rogue's eyes snapped open and she found herself, along with the rest of the team, still sitting in a circle holding hands. Her forehead wrinkled in confusion as she looked at her surroundings however. She was no longer in the same room in Chris' house but rather in a different location all together. On top of that, the group was mysteriously suspended above the room, floating up near the ceiling. Glancing around she recognized looks of confusion and bewilderment on the faces of her companions too, and Logan looked downright frantic as she met and held his gaze. Rogue gave him an empathetic smile by way of encouragement until a familiar voice from below captured her attention...



Marie entered the room with the phone stuck to the side of her head and flopped down on the couch, tucking her right leg up underneath her. "So when are ya gonna get here anyhow? Ya gotta help me with the decoratin', remember? Ah can't do that and fix y'all dinner at the same time." The young woman laughed heartily at her phone companion's comment then sobered. "Yeah, right. So are ya bringin' that Cajun guy with ya? Mister Smooth Operator, what's 'is name... Raimi?" Another roaring laugh breaking the short silence. "Right, Remy, so's that a yes, right, ya are bringin' 'im? Well good, Ah'm lookin' forward t' meetin' 'im. So ya'll be here soon, right? Yeah, they should be here any minute. Okay, sugah, Ah'll talk t' ya shortly. Yeah, Merry Christmas t' ya too, Ororo. Bye."

Switching off the phone with a soft sigh, Marie leaned back against the cushions and closed her eyes. "Okay damn it, Marie, ya jus' knock that shit off right now! Ya will not begrudge 'Ro findin' someone jus' cause ya're still alone. It ain't her fault no man in 'is right mind wants anythin' t' do with ya."

With a heavy sigh, she opened her eyes and forced a cheerful smile onto her face. As it turned out it wasn't a moment too soon as the door across the room swung open. Marie rose quickly to her feet and hurried to help. "Hey, Jeannie," she greeted her visitor with a glowing smile.

"Hi, sweetheart, Merry Christmas," Jean returned with a smile, a smile which quickly froze when she noticed a particularly interesting feature on the young woman. "What did you do to your hair?"

"D'ya like it?" Marie asked sweetly separating a lock of shockingly white hair from her thick head of auburn tresses.

"I do like it," Jean assured her honestly, "Scott on the other hand is going to hate it."

"Ah know," Marie returned confidently, a smug grin on her face as she cocked an eyebrow. "Merry Christmas," she sang moving forward and snuggling into a hug. After a moment she pulled back and looked at the still open but empty doorway. "Where is Scott?"

Jean's gaze dropped sharply to the floor for a beat before she turned away from Marie and closed the door.

"Nothin's happened, right?" Marie demanded her tone nearly frantic.

"Oh God no, Marie, I'm sorry to make you think that. He'll be along soon." Pausing, Jean looked away again then focused her attention on the large couch across the room. "Can we sit for a minute? I need to tell you something."

"'Course," Marie responded, her tone and expression revealing her concern. She trailed along behind the older woman and slowly sank down into the cushions beside her. "What's wrong?"

Jean took a deep breath and released it with a heavy sigh. "Scott and I were doing some last minute Christmas shopping this morning in the city," she started to explain, her voice trembling lightly with emotion. "We were on our way back to the car when something caught his attention and he just froze..."

Marie waited a moment for her to continue but when the silence stretched to minutes, she prompted her onward. "Jeannie?"

"I'm sorry," she said, shaking herself physically. "I've never seen him like that before. He had this ... stunned, confused look on his face and he was visibly shaking, Marie." Again Jean stopped as she blinked tears from her eyes but this time she didn't have to be prompted to continue. "I asked him what was wrong and he just kept staring down this alley and then he brushed passed me and sprinted between these two buildings.

"I finally turned to see what he was looking at and I saw this man from the back. He didn't look like anything special or extraordinary," Jean shrugged. "In fact the only thing different about him was the way his shaggy hair stood up at the top of his head, made him look like he had ears up there or something."

The confusion on Marie's face only grew more pronounced as Jean's story continued to make no sense. Still she listened silently hoping that eventually she'd get to the point.

"Anyway," she sighed, "Scott ran after this man and I could see him reaching out to grab him when the guy spun around so fast it was unreal and dropped into a fighting stance. I could see Scott talking to him, his hands raised up in front of him in a placating gesture. I couldn't hear what they were saying but I could see Scott shaking from the other end of the alley. I watched, just this side of panic, as he continued talking to this man. I started digging in my purse for the cell phone when the man moved again, so swiftly that I gasped. He flung himself at Scott but not like I would have thought," Jean paused, tears streaming down her face as she wiped at them madly with her hands. "He didn't try to hit him, Marie, he wrapped his arms around him and pulled Scott to him and Scott hugged him back."

Shaking her head slowly from side to side, Jean managed to look up and meet the younger woman's gaze. "In all the years that I've known Scott, I've never seen him hug another man but he was clinging to this guy like ... like his life depended on it." A smile brightened Jean's face even as she resumed wiping away her tears. "I just stood there staring at them with my mouth hanging open. After a few minutes they stepped back from each other and talked some more. Scott gestured toward me and the guy turned and looked before turning back to Scott. After another couple of minutes, the guy took off and Scott moved back down the alley." With another pause, Jean started to giggle. "Marie, he had the stupidest grin on his face, I mean you should have seen him."

Again Marie waited for more but it seemed the older woman was too giddy to proceed without a little guidance. "So who was the guy?"

Instantly Jean's face fell somber again and she lifted her gaze to meet Marie's. "He's a buddy of Scott's from the war," she informed her. "He was an officer with the Canadian Special Forces and his battalion and Scott's worked together a lot and I guess they became very close friends. Apparently they were on a mission together and something went terribly wrong. Scott thought he'd been killed but he'd actually been taken as a prisoner of war."

"Mah Gawd!" Marie exclaimed.

Renewed tears wet Jean's face as she agreed. "Yeah, I guess they did some really heinous things to him. He managed to escape somehow but not before they really messed him up. For the last few years he's been working at remembering his past."

Outrage and sympathy vied for dominance as Marie processed the information she'd just received. "So then Scott's takin' 'im back t' his family, right?"

Slowly Jean shook her head. "No, his family is all gone. His mother apparently died right after he went missing, his father a couple of years later and his sister was killed last year in a car accident."

"Like he ain't already suffered enough, then t' have t' find all that out on Christmas Eve," Marie whined her honey-toned, southern accent thicker with the emotions.

"That's kind of why I'm here early, Marie."

"Wha' d'ya mean?"

Shifting in her seat, Jean fully faced the younger woman and gathered her hands tightly. "Scott went with him to get his stuff from the shelter he's been living in and he's going to stay with us so we can help him get his life back."

A brilliant smile lit Marie's face at the idea. "Well that's great, Jeannie."

"Yeah, he seems like a great guy - a little surly and rough around the edges but understandable considering everything he's been through."

Marie snorted. "Well yeah."

"Anyway, Scott's going to drop him off at the VA then he'll be up," Jean concluded.

"What?" Marie demanded, her brows rising sharply.

Jean jerked back at the harsh tone of the younger woman. "I said he's going to drop his friend off at the Veteran's Administration and then he'll be out."

"Like hell," Marie retorted, picking up the discarded phone. "Has he got the cell phone?"

"Yes."

Marie was already punching numbers into the phone before Jean even opened her mouth to respond. "Scott, hey, yeah it's me. What the hell d'ya think ya're doin'? Wha' d'ya mean, what do Ah mean? Ah mean takin' yer friend t' the VA."

Jean watched in wonderment as Marie continued.

"Ya are not takin' 'im t' that place on Christmas Eve. No, ya ain't. Damn it, Scott, ya better jus' brin' 'im up here with ya if ya expect t' stay over yaself." Marie rolled her eyes dramatically. "Oh please, ya ain't puttin' anyone out an' ya know it, Ah'll jus' make up the spare room. No, he needs t' be with family right now and right now that's you which means us. Yes. Okay good. Ah'll see ya both in a little while then. Okay, yeah and, Scott, drive safe ya hear? Yeah, yeah, love ya too. Bye."

Hanging up the phone, Marie turned to Jean with a triumphant grin. "They're on their way."

Smirking widely, Jean shook her head appreciatively. "I wish I knew you're secret. You're the only one I know who can get your brother to do anything."

Marie sneered, "Yeah, right, sis, yer the one who has all the power ... ya are the one controllin' the sex." Wiggling her eyebrows, Marie smiled before bursting into laughter.

Quickly Jean shook her head, "No, sweetheart, Scott's the one controlling that. I'm much more insatiable than he is."

With a loud groan, Marie covered her ears. "That's more than Ah wanted t' know, Jeannie."

"Oh sweetie, you don't know what you're missing," Jean insisted dreamily. "We have got to find you a man!"

"Right, like he's just gonna fall outta the sky 'r somethin'," the younger woman snorted. "Come on, Ah got cookin' t' get back t' an' another room t' make up."

Rising from the couch, Jean followed Marie from the room. "Where do you want to start?"

"Let's get 'is room made up first," Marie decided pausing at the threshold of the kitchen before turning down the hallway. "Hey, what's this guy's name anyway? Ah'm gettin' tired a referrin' t' 'im as 'the guy'."

Jean laughed as they started making up the bed. "His name is Logan and let me tell you, sister dear, if I wasn't already married to your brother - happily, I might add - I'd be all over him."

Marie stalled in her task and laughed thunderously. "Well Ah'm sure Scott'll be relieved t' know that."

"Hey, I'm being serious here, Marie. I mean ... DAMN!"

"That good huh?" she chuckled.

Jean paused and shook her head, a dreamy expression on her face. "Gives new meaning to the term 'hottie'. Don't get me wrong, he's not really my type - I like clean cut and stable and he's got these sideburns that don't end and this ... totally unkempt look but on him it works. There's just something so feral and virile about him. Not exactly the kind of man you take home to mom and dad but definitely the type you could have a lot of fun with."

"Well since Ah ain't got a mom an' dad, guess Ah don' gotta worry 'bout it."

"Oh God, Marie, I'm sorry," Jean stammered.

Marie quickly waved a hand at her in dismissal. "F'get it, Jeannie, it ain't like it's nothin' new."

"I know, honey, but ... shit, I wasn't thinking, I'm sorry."

"Hello?" a loud voice echoed down the hallway into the opened door of the bedroom.

"Down here, 'Ro," Marie shouted toward the doorway. Catching Jean's eyes she smiled widely and mouthed, "She brought the Cajun guy."

"There you are," Ororo said as she stepped into the bedroom, stopping as she caught sight of her friend. "I love the hair, Marie," she stated as she moved forward, wrapping her into a warm embrace. "Merry Christmas."

"Ya too, sugah," Marie cooed, returning the hug. "Ah'm glad ya could arrange the time t' stay."

Ororo slowly pulled back away from her and turned to the other woman. "Jeannie," she screeched, moving toward her and repeating the friendly gesture. "It has been so long."

"Too long," Jean agreed increasing the pressure of the embrace.

After a long moment, the women pulled back and Ororo turned to the tall, handsome man in the doorway. "Girls, I want you to meet my friend, this is Remy LeBeau. Remy, these are my best friends Marie Summers and her sister-in-law, Jean Grey-Summers."

"Chere," the man drawled in a thick, southern accent that sounded as if it came straight out of the French Quarter of New Orleans as he took Marie's hand in his and lightly kissed the back of her knuckles.

"Nice t' meet ya," Marie returned sweetly, her eyes widening. Smooth operator was right and the package wasn't bad either. Tall and thin, but muscular, Remy had an intense gaze and eye-catching red hair.

"Mademoiselle," he said turning to Jean and repeating the process.

"Hello," Jean replied, arching an eyebrow seductively.

"Dis quite de place, chere," Remy stated, addressing himself to Marie.

"Well Ah'm glad that ya like it. 'Ro, ya wanna take yer stuff t' yer room while Jeannie and Ah finish makin' the bed here?"

"More company?" she asked knowing that Marie seldom used the room closest to her own.

"Yeah," Marie nodded, turning back to the bed, "Scott ran into an old friend a his in the city and he's bringin' him out."

"That is wonderful, it is always nice to have a house full for the holidays," Ororo commented happily.

"Oui, Remy hope dey hurry ... even out de odds a bit," he joked. The truth was at the moment he was truly out numbered.

Jean smiled at him coyly. "I get the impression you won't have a hard time holding the three of us back all by your lonesome, Remy."

"Oui, you be correct, petite," Remy chuckled, a thoroughly seductive sound in the confines of the small room.

"Come on, lover boy," Ororo called with a giggle, leading him off down the hallway toward her regular bedroom.

"Wow, 'Ro did well this time," Jean whispered once they were out of earshot. "He's a cutie."

Rolling her eyes, Marie shook her head. "Ah jus' hope he treats 'er better than that last asshole."

"Yeah, you and me both," Jean agreed easily, "and Scott, I don't even want to talk about what he wanted to do the bastard."

"Hang 'im by his balls and gut 'im, Ah'd imagine," Marie stated levelly. "Even that woulda been too good fer 'im."

Jean released a heavy sigh. "You're right but what do you say we forget about that bastard and have ourselves a merry little Christmas?"

Laughing, Marie smoothed out the comforter once more than gave a satisfied nod. "Looks good."

"I'm sure Logan will be very comfortable here," Jean agreed before following Marie back down the hallway toward the kitchen.



Scott and Logan left the city, starting their trip in silence, each considering what finding the other would mean to them, how it would change their lives. The former felt guilty for leaving a friend to the animals that had captured him, the latter felt guilty for making his friend feel guilty. Neither really knew what to say or how to start the mending and healing that they both needed.

The conversation they'd had in the alley only hours before played again in Scott's mind. The overwhelming joy at seeing his friend again, the powerful emotions that tore through him as Logan clutched onto him and held him with a formidable grip.

Logan was also recalling their reunion, relief washing through him at finally finding a link to his past. Finally he'd found someone that mattered to him and someone he mattered to. Nearly five years of pain and loneliness were on the verge of being swept away and he was not at all sorry to see it go. Logan hoped that with a little time and lot of help from his friend, the self-pity and self-loathing would also release their hold on him. After all those years though he wasn't expecting it anytime soon.

"Thanks again for inviting me along, Scott," Logan broke the silence in the car as they reached the city limits.

"You can thank my sister," Scott told him with a snort. "It was at her insistence, I mean I was ready to ask you but I wasn't sure how full the house was. That's part of why Jean went up ahead of us."

His forehead wrinkling in concentration, Logan turned to Scott, his head cocked slightly. "You know, I don't remember you talking about a sister."

"That's because I didn't know about her before," Scott informed him. "Turns out my father had two families. I met Marie after I got home from the service. She's great, a real spit-fire and a southern belle to boot."

"Yeah, what does she do?" Logan wondered.

"Marie's mother was from the richest family in Mississippi and since she was the last in the line and Marie was her only child, she inherited a shitload of money," Scott stated with mock envy. "She still works occasionally for a philanthropist by the name of Xavier. He runs an orphanage near Marie's place and she helps with that and some of his other ventures, fundraisers mostly."

"Sounds like a real peach."

Scott laughed. "Well she would be if she was from Georgia. She's what I like to call a Mississippi River rat."

Logan cocked an eyebrow high onto his forehead. "I'm sure she appreciates that."

Nodding, Scott grinned widely. "Oh yeah, she sure does. Actually Marie has got the best sense of humor I've ever seen although she can be a bit hard to figure at times. Her humor can be a little much, if you know what I mean."

"Can't wait to meet her," Logan said honestly. "Sounds like a one of a kind kid."

"Whoa, hold it right there, Logan," Scott interjected quickly. "You want to enjoy your time with us, you better not even think about referring to her as a kid. That'll make her turn on you faster than a cobra strikes."

"You made it sound like she was a lot younger than you," Logan reasoned. "How old is she?"

"Twenty-one," Scott informed him, "just turned a couple weeks ago as a matter of fact."

"She's still just a kid," Logan insisted, shaking his head.

"Don't let her age fool you, Logan," Scott told him, a clear warning in his tone. "She's a lot more mature than her age would reflect. She's been through a lot and besides, in her family responsibility came early when she inherited everything."

Logan eyed his friend skeptically for a moment but offer no argument. Instead they returned to a more comfortable silence as the miles passed by out the window. Without the distraction of conversation, Logan started to think about his current endeavor. Since his return from time in captivity, he hadn't spent a lot of time with anyone besides other veterans, most of whom were so locked in their own worlds that they weren't much company. He'd spent even less time around women and he was more than a little concerned at the prospect of spending a week locked away in a house with a bunch of people he didn't know.

With every mile driven and every turn of the car, Scott could feel Logan's apprehension increasing. From the corner of his eye, he could see the other man's hands tighten reflexively on the faded army issue duffel bag on his lap until his knuckles were white. Hoping to ease his friend's tension and learn more about his situation, Scott finally broke the silence. "Man, I have to tell you again how great it is to see you after all these years."

"It's good to see you too, Scott," Logan returned quietly. "I'd given up on ever seeing anyone from that time again."

"Why didn't you look any of us up?"

"I didn't have any idea who did and didn't make it out until just recently," Logan told him. "I wasn't in much shape to do anything about it before that."

Scott turned his head, careful to keep one eye on the road as he looked at the man beside him. "Do you want to talk about it?"

Logan's nostrils flared and he blew out a sharp breath. "Not a lot to say," he replied gruffly. "I spent two years as a POW in the most amazing shithole you can imagine. I escaped and spent another year and a half fighting to survive in the jungle before finally managing to make it back to civilization. Took me a long time to remember who I was and where I came from. I made it home a couple of months back only to find that there was no one left," he finished softly.

"I'm sorry, buddy," Scott said weakly. "How long have you been in New York?"

"Couple a days. Believe it or not, I came looking for you," Logan informed him. "Heard that you were still kicking, surprised the shit out of me but hey ... wonders never cease, right?"

"Right," Scott responded laughing heartily. "Damn it's good to see you again, Logan. You have no idea how much I missed you..." Scott's voice faded to silence and he swallowed loudly, turning to glance out his side window. After a moment he spoke again, his voice trembling with emotion. "Fuck, I'm sorry, Logan, if I'd known you were in there I would have gone after you - we all would have gone after you. They told us you were dead," he stated angrily. "They found your tags near some charred remains and they just assumed."

Pressing his lips into a thin line, Logan was silent for a time before he cocked his head to look at his friend. "I'm glad you didn't know I was there, Scott," he returned quietly. "The place was fucking Fort Knox in the jungle. It was too heavily guarded - you never would have made it in or if you had, you'd have only wound up like me. I wouldn't have wanted that. Believe me, it was better that you didn't know."

Scott shook his head, unable and unwilling to agree. "I would have done it, Logan. For you, I would have done it."

"I know, Scott, and I would have hated myself even more that you had."

A long silence stretched between them, neither knowing quite what to say to the other. Finally it was Logan who resumed the conversation. "So tell me about what you've been up to," he suggested, a smirk spreading across his face, "but first tell me how a geek like you wound up with such a beautiful wife?"

Laughing boisterously, Scott turned to look at Logan again. "Beats the hell out of me, buddy."

"Lucky bastard," Logan commented with a mockingly jealous smirk.

"Right on both counts," Scott agreed with a chuckle.

"Yep," Logan nodded, "some guys have all the luck."




"Anything I can do to help?" Jean asked as she and Marie entered the kitchen. "Oh my, it smells so good in here."

"Thanks, Ah put the turkey in a couple a hours ago. Ah guess ya could peel the taters if ya wanna, Ah gotta finish the bread so's Ah can get it in the oven," Marie informed her.

"Peel potatoes, that I can do," Jean assured her. "I might even be able to manage it with a minimum amount of added protein from my fingers too."

Marie shook her head laughing. "On second thought, why don't ya sit down and Ah'll do it mahself, Ah wasn't plannin' on servin' tater skins..."

Laughing, Jean made her way to the large, fully decorated dining room table just past the kitchen's island and took a seat. She sat there for a moment still giggling at Marie's comment before she glanced at the table more closely. "I can, however, set another place on the table for Logan."

"Well there ya go, somethin' helpful in the kitchen and ya thought a it all on yer own," Marie teased. "Scott'll be so proud."

"He already knows I can set a table," Jean returned disappointedly as she moved around Marie gathering the various implements she needed for the place setting.

Marie sniggered. "Ah'm sure ya've clear a few too," she said with a suggestively arched brow.

Jean paused in the action and cocked her head to look at her friend. "Yeah but we made sure you were asleep first."

"Ya are kiddin', right?"

It was quite clear from Jean's expression and her unwillingness to meet Marie's gaze that she wasn't.

"Mah Gawd, Jeannie," Marie shouted. "You an' Scott had sex on mah table?! When?"

"Thanksgiving," Jean informed her softly.

Marie shook her head soundly before turning to face her sister-in-law. "Ya are not t' have sex on mah table again, ya hear?"

Finally meeting her gaze, Jean grinned wildly. "Scott will be so disappointed. He was really looking forward to a repeat engagement this week."

"That's more than Ah needed t' know, Jean," Marie groaned loudly. "Guess ya'll have t' disappoint 'im though 'cause ya ain't usin' mah table again!"

"All right, all right," Jean conceded with a chuckle. As she moved passed Marie and headed back around to the dining room, she peeked down the hallway in the direction of the bedroom Ororo and Remy were sharing. "You think they're testing the mattress for soundness?"

"Jean," Marie cried indignantly. "Ya know not ever'one's as hung up on sex as you."

Jean shrugged with a sweetly innocent expression on her face. "Just offering a suggestion as to why they've been gone for so long."

A mischievous smile broke the placid contours of Marie's face. "Well Scott and Logan shoulda been here by now, ya think they stopped somewhere fer a quickie?"

"Marie," Jean returned sharply before falling silent for a moment. "I'd only allow that if I was with them," she finally decided, her tongue snaking out to glide across her upper lip.

Marie stared wide-eyed at the other woman for a beat before shaking her head. "Ah don't wanna hear no more," she stated firmly.

Before Jean could comment further, a somewhat rumpled looking Ororo led Remy into the kitchen. Meeting Marie's gaze, Jean threw a smirk at her. The older woman's expression held a decidedly 'I told you so' cast.

"Anything we can do to help?" Ororo asked, her voice a little winded and her chest was heaving slightly as though she'd just overexerted herself.

Fighting to keep her voice level, Marie kept her eyes locked on the loaf of bread she was forming in her hands. "We need some taters peeled if ya're feeling up t' it."

"Remy help too, chere," he insisted following Ororo to the sink.

"Jeannie, can ya get the oven door?" Marie asked as she carried the first loaves of bread to the oven.

"Which one?" Jean asked, looking back and forth between the two large, industrial sized ovens dominating one wall.

"Left," Marie informed her.

The smell of fresh baked goods filled the kitchen as the oven door was opened.

"There's not much room left," Jean commented, peering at the collection of pies and cakes inside the oven.

"It's time fer most a that t' come out," Marie stated, unloading the loaf pans before pulling out a delectable looking pecan pie.

"Everything smells so good, Marie," Ororo cooed from in front of the sink. "I cannot even pick out all the aromas. What all did you make?"

Marie laughed. "Ya want the whole list?" At 'Ro's nod she started reciting the list from memory. "Pecan pie, pumpkin pie, snicker cake, date cake and a big ol' raspberry/rhubarb crisp."

"Oh my God, I am going to get so fat this week," Ororo stated with a disenchanted sigh.

"Yeah, 'Ro and that isn't even counting all the homemade candy over here," Jean informed her friend regretfully. "You really outdid yourself this year, Marie."

"Oui, petite," Remy agreed nodding. "Remy never smelled so much good stuff at once."

"I guess we'll all just have to find new ways to work off those calories," Jean suggested with a lecherous grin.

"Hey, something's sure smelling good in here," Scott commented, entering the kitchen from the front room.

"Hi, sweetheart," Jean greeted with a smile, moving quickly from her seat to her husband's side to give him a kiss.

"Well it's 'bout damn time, Scott Summers," Marie scolded motherly as she turned to face her half-brother.

"What the hell happened to your hair?" Scott demanded, noticing the two shocking streaks of white framing her face.

"D'ya like it?" she asked innocently, knowing already that he hated it.

Scott moved closer, the scowl on his face growing as he studied her hair thoroughly. "No," he finally told her. "You look like a freak."

Marie's eyes lit up like a supernova and her grin widened into an all-encompassing smile. "So then Ah finally fit in with the rest a the family." After a moment the smile faded somewhat and her forehead wrinkled into a questioning expression. "Hey, where's yer friend?"

Scott smirked at his sister. He'd always admired her confidence and her capacity for kindness. "Logan wanted to get cleaned up a little before he met everyone," he explained. "I showed him to his room and let him use your bathroom, I hope that's all right."

Marie's eyes widened in disbelief. "Ya let one a yer dirty army buddies use mah bathroom?"

All eyes in the room shifted back and forth between brother and sister, silently waiting, for what they didn't know.

"Marie!" Scott shouted incredulously, quickly looking over his shoulder to make sure Logan hadn't been close enough to hear her comment. "Dammit, you're the one that insisted I bring him here," he continued in a low, tight voice filled with barely contained rage.

Arching an eyebrow, Marie giggled lightly. "Calm down, Scott, Ah's only teasin'. Jeez, when d'ya get so sensitive?"

Clenching his jaw tightly to keep from bending the younger woman over his knee, Scott released a heavy sigh. "Do you think you can keep the teasing down to a minimum while we're here, Marie, at least where Logan's concerned? The guys been through a lot and the last thing he needs is you giving him a hard time, being teasingly or not."

"Ah'm sorry," Marie replied remorsefully. "Ah didn't mean nothin'."

Scott just nodded before turning away. "I have some more stuff to bring in," he said sharply before leaving from the door he'd entered only moments ago.

"Ah didn't mean nothin'," Marie whispered again.

Jean moved back from the door where Scott had left her and wrapped an arm around her sister-in-law's shoulder. "It's okay, Marie. Scott's just having a hard time knowing what Logan went through - he's not really mad, just a little upset."

Slowly nodding, Marie glanced out the opened door Scott had disappeared through before turning back to her meal preparations. Surveying the work in progress against the mental list in her head, Marie realized that they were right on task, if not ahead of schedule. 'Ro and Remy had the potatoes peeled and on to cook, the bread and turkey were baking along with the excess stuffing and sweet potatoes, the desserts were cooling, and the salads were made. All that was left was the heating of the rest of the vegetables at the last minute. Looking again out the door, Marie glanced up and met Jean's gaze. "Ah'll be right back."

With a sympathetic nod, Jean watched Marie move from the kitchen toward the front room and the door beyond that.

"Everyt'ing all right dere, petite?" Remy asked Jean, sensing the sudden downturn.

"Fine," Jean assured him. "Scott's just a little over sensitive right now because of some stuff with his friend. Everything will be fine though. Scott and Marie enjoy their little tiffs. It's commonplace around here so you should get used to it."



Scott was hauling luggage onto the porch when Marie found him. She opened the door for him, closing it once he was through, then followed him down the hallway to the room set aside for him and Jean.

Marie moved into the room behind him, waiting silently for an acknowledgement. When he finally did, it was by simply turning around and pinning her with a questioning look to which she averted her gaze to the floor. "Ah'm sorry, Scott. Ah shouldn't a said that. Ya know Ah's only kiddin' though, right?"

Unable to stay mad at her for long when she looked so dejected, Scott nodded, moving to stand in front of her. "Yeah, I know. I'm sorry that I got so bent out of shape but I was worried that Logan might have heard you."

"Look, Scott, Ah promise not t' tease 'im, 'kay?" Marie assured him frankly before a mischievous glint flashed in her eyes. "Ah'll save all a his fer you."

His former dark mood shattering under the gentle teasing, Scott enjoyed a good laugh.

"So what took ya so long?" she wanted to know taking a few quiet moments with her brother before things got crazy.

Scott's laughter finally fizzled down to a chuckle before dying off completely. "Well, after I dropped Jean off at home to head up here, I went back and picked up Logan. He was a little uncomfortable with the condition of some of his clothes so we stopped at the store and did a little shopping before we left the city."

"So he needs clothes, does he?" Marie asked thoughtfully.

"What are you scheming, Marie," Scott asked jokingly, eyeing her with mock suspicion.

"Me?" she repeated as innocently as possible, her accent decidedly thicker. "Schemin' ya say? Ah don't what ya're talkin' 'bout, Scott Summers."

"Like hell, little missy!" he retorted crisply.

Smiling sweetly, Marie raised her eyebrows but didn't speak.

"Come on, help me bring in the rest of the stuff from the car," Scott ordered as he wrapped his arm Marie's shoulder and escorted her down the hallway.

With the both of them working on it, it wasn't long before the car was unpacked and Scott and Marie were back in the kitchen with the others.

"There you two are," Jean cried impatiently as they entered. "Did you kiss and make up?" she asked batting her eyes at them.

"Kiss?" Marie repeated in mock confusion. "Ya mean kissin' woulda been enough?" Leaning into Scott suggestively, Marie kissed his cheek before moving away. "Oh well, we had more fun. Ain't that right, sugah?"

Scott couldn't keep from smiling, not that Jean and Ororo believed it for a second anyway but Remy was looking a bit concerned. "We're from a very close family," Scott managed finally with a semi-straight face.

"Oh knock it off, you two," Ororo scolded, rising from her chair and moving toward Scott, wrapping him in a hug. "You guys are incorrigible," she chuckled.

"How are you doing, 'Ro?" Scott asked releasing her slowly. "It's been a long time."

"Yes, sometimes I think not long enough," she teased, grinning wildly as she gestured for Remy to join her. "Scott Summers, I'd like you to meet my friend - this is Remy LeBeau."

"How are you?" Scott asked, extending his hand to the younger man.

"Remy good, homme," the taller man returned clasping Scott's hand firmly. "An' you?"

"Doing great," he replied working hard not to laugh. There was just something about the accent that seemed so fake to him. "Glad you could join us for the holidays. It's nice to finally meet the guy 'Ro's been talking about for so long."

"Oui, Remy glad t' be here and t' meet Ororo's friends. She talk 'bout you all de time."

"Well, if y'all excuse me for a second?" Marie asked from her position at Scott's side near the door. "Ah'll be right back," she stated as she started to turn, suddenly finding herself face to face with a short, incredibly handsome man. Marie gasped and gave a short chuckle to ease her nerves. "Ya must be Logan," she drawled thickly.

Scott spun around quickly and gestured the other man into the room. "Come on in, buddy."

Marie moved aside so Logan could enter, trying hard not to stare. The man she was seeing was not at all what she'd expected. Jean had mentioned long sideburns and an unkempt appearance. This man was clean-shaven and while his hair was a little wild on the top, it still wasn't really in the class of unkempt. Sweeping her gaze to her sister-in-law, Marie noticed that Jean was as shocked as she was, maybe more. She was staring openly and Marie was sure that if she was closer, she would have seen drool on Jean's chin.

"Logan," Scott started releasing Ororo completely and placing a hand on the other man's shoulder, "this is everyone."

Logan took a deep breath and cleared his throat, following Scott's gestures around the room as he introduced the group, nodding at person in succession. He hoped he didn't look as nervous as he felt but he had his doubts.

"This is our good friend, Ororo Munroe," Scott began lifting a hand to the beautiful, light ebony-skinned woman beside him. She was tall, and had short, curly, black hair and soft, kind eyes. The woman smiled sweetly but said nothing as Scott continued the introductions.

"This," he went on pointing at the tall man next to Ororo, "is 'Ro's friend, Remy..."

"Remy LeBeau," Ororo intervened when it was clear that Scott was struggling. Her voice was calm and soothing with just a hint of an accent that Logan was unfamiliar with.

The taller man extended his hand to Logan as he spoke, "Remy glad t' meet you, homme."

Slowly, almost reluctantly, Logan took the offered hand and shook it, quickly releasing it again. "Yeah," he responded not knowing what else to say.

"You already met Jean," Scott stated pointing across the room to his wife.

"It's nice to see you again so soon, Logan," Jean said with a smile as she tried not to stare too obviously.

Logan gave her a tight, nervous nod.

"And this adorable thing here with the funky hair," Scott teased motioning to Marie, "is my sister, Marie."

"It's nice t' meet ya, Logan," she greeted with a friendly smile, extending her hand to him. "Ah'm glad ya could join us fer the holidays."

Clearing his throat again, Logan slowly reached out and took her hand. Her smooth skin felt like silk against his roughened hands and he found himself not wanting to let go. Lifting his gaze, Logan took a moment to view the white streaks in her hair before focusing on her face. Images of angels danced through his head and he fought not to stare at her porcelain features, big chocolate-brown eyes or the inviting fullness of her lips.

Shaking himself mentally, Logan pulled his hand back finally and swallowed passed a suddenly dry throat. "It's nice to meet you too, Marie. Thanks for the invitation," he responded gruffly, his nervousness adding to his usually brusque tone.

"Sure thing, sugah," she retorted lightly, once again taking in his ruggedly handsome features and intense hazel eyes. "Ah'm pleased that ya accepted. Ah mean, Scott has so few friends, it's nice t' finally meet one." Marie moved closed to Logan and leaned in, speaking close to his ear but loud enough for everyone in the room to here. "Between you and me, Ah's beginnin' t' think he didn't really have any friends."

Snickering softly, Logan nodded his head in agreement even as he tilted it to look at Scott. "I'll tell ya later what he promised me for carrying out the charade for the week," he teased winking easily at Marie - far easier than he would have thought possible. He'd been in the same room with her for less than five minutes and he already felt more comfortable with her then he did with most people after months.

"Oh great," Scott sighed dejectedly, "a double team."

"Yeah," Marie agreed with a smirk, her gaze drifting from Logan back to Scott, "the week's lookin' up already."

"Yep," Logan nodded his assent with a chuckle.

Laughing lightly, Marie gestured at the table. "Why don' y'all take yer seats, dinner's pretty much done, Ah jus' need t' dish it out an' get it on the table."

Each position came with a nametag and the group maneuvered around until they were in their assigned seats. Scott was placed at the head of the table, at the far end with Jean and Ororo on either side. Remy's card was arranged next to 'Ro's and Logan's next to Jean, leaving Marie opposite Scott where she could easily grab anything that someone might need throughout the meal.

The group enjoyed quiet conversation, while Marie rushed around completing the preparations and getting everything on the table. After ten or fifteen minutes, she finally finished and was able to join them.

"Everything looks and smells wonderful, Marie," Jean cooed sweeping her gaze over the contents of the table.

"It sure does," Scott agreed readily before giving Jean a meaningful look. "Which I could get a meal like this at home."

Jean stuck out her tongue at him teasingly as the Ororo and Marie laughed.

"Ah've told her Ah'd give her lessons," Marie assured him, always taking any presented opportunity to taunt.

"Well," Jean retorted suggestively, "what I lack in the kitchen, I more than make up for in other areas."

Scott was quick to agree. "That's right, honey, you do."

Laughing loudly, Marie shook her head and pinned her brother with an amused look. "Ya're so whipped."

"Enough with the sex talk at the table," Ororo scolded. "Can we just have the prayer so we can eat? I am starving."

"That's what happens when you expend all your energy in a mid-afternoon romp," Jean needled with a suggestive wiggle of her brows.

The darkening of the woman's cheeks confirmed Jean's early suspicions, not that she needed it after seeing the state she was in when her and Remy joined them in the kitchen.

Logan was surprised by the group's openness with each other. They were indeed a close group and it made him considerably more nervous than he had been only moments before.

"Jeannie," Marie admonished mockingly, fighting to keep the smile from her lips. "'Ro's right, let's pray so's we can eat 'fore awl this food gets cold."

Around the table, hands were joined together for the prayer - those who were familiar with the tradition guiding the new ones. Logan tentatively took the hand of the two women on either side of him, once again struck by the incredible softness of Marie's skin. Glancing around he copied the others, bowing his head slightly and letting his eyes slip shut.

"Dear Lord," Scott began speaking loud and clear, "we thank you for the blessing of food we are about to receive and the family and friends, old and new, to share it with. Especially, Lord, thank you for reuniting me with the brother I thought I'd lost long ago. We ask that you bless others as we have been blessed and may everyone hold the true meaning of Christmas in their hearts. In God's name we pray. Amen."

"Amen," the others murmured in response before releasing their clasped hands.

Marie momentarily tightened her grip on Logan's hand, giving him a smile before finally freeing him.

Logan met her gaze for a beat before turning to look down the table at Scott. Nothing was said but both men could see the emotion in the other's eyes.



The group enjoyed interesting and often humorous conversation through out the meal. Afterwards, Jean and Ororo helped Marie clear the table and put away the leftovers before they all retired to the living room.

The room was small but comfortable with a huge Christmas tree decorated to the hilt in one corner, an almost obscene number of brightly wrapped packages surrounding it. The furniture, two reclining chairs and two loveseats, was practical and comfortable - a rare and most likely expensive combination. The home theater and stereo systems were modest but functionally superb for the size of the room.

Scott and Jean quickly snagged one of the two loveseats, snuggling together like newlyweds despite having been married for close to four years.

Ororo and Remy took the other small couch and while they were sitting closer than was necessary for the size of the seat, they weren't as obvious as the other couple.

Marie let Logan take his pick of the remaining seats as she went about the room turning on various Christmas lights and lighting candles. Finally she lowered herself into her regular chair with a soft sigh. She enjoyed cooking for family and friends but after two days spent on preparations and execution, she was glad the first meal was over. In comparison, the rest of the week would be a breeze as far as dinners went.

For the most part during dinner, neutral topics were chosen for discussion but now in the more intimate settling in the living room, the focus turned to more personal matters.

"So what do you do, Logan?" Ororo asked hoping to involve him more in the conversation.

He'd known that question would eventually come up but Logan still hadn't thought of an appropriate response. He knew they wouldn't understand that he made his money in bars and fight clubs, beating the shit out of people who underestimated his size and strength. After years of fighting to survive, it was all that he knew. Fully aware that all eyes were on him, Logan replied swiftly and his answer was honest if not revealing. "I'm between jobs right now. What about you?"

"'Ro's the new weather girl at KION," Marie stated before Ororo could, boasting proudly for her friend. "She's the most accurate forecaster in the city. Ah sometimes wonder if she's somehow controllin' the weather she's so good."

Ororo shrugged nonchalantly, "It's a gift."

"She not only de best but also de easies' on de eyes," Remy said as he lifted his eyebrow at her.

"What 'bout you, Remy, wha' d'ya do?" Marie wondered - that being one of the things she hadn't gotten out of Ororo yet.

"Je suis un professeur de français àl'université," Remy rattled off quickly leaving most of the group staring at him questioningly.

"Come again?" Scott demanded in a confused tone.

"He teaches French at the university," Jean translated, grinning widely at her husband.

"Ah, vous parlez français," he returned, once again in French.

Jean blushed slightly as she responded. "Un peu, mais je suis rouillé."

"You speak very well, Jeannie," Remy assured her with a smile. "Wha' d' you do?"

"I'm a doctor," Jean returned confidently. "A surgeon actually so I don't have a lot of time to brush up."

Logan's level of comfort plummeted after that piece of information was announced. Doctors always made him nervous and surgeons were the worse, reminded him too much of his guards at the prison - many of which had apparently aspired to be surgeons judging by the way they liked to cut on him. Doing his best to control his rising unease, Logan focused again on the conversation.

"I'm also a teacher," Scott was saying, "Physical Education and Mechanics."

"Mechanics?" Logan repeated incredulously before laughing loudly. "Scott Summers teaching mechanics. Oh man, that's just wrong. Those poor kids."

Thoroughly intrigued by Logan's reaction, Jean turned to him with a quizzical expression. "Why is that so funny, Logan?"

Scott blanched noticeably, rolling his eyes as he recalled the events that would have made Logan react that way.

Looking to his friend, Logan recognized his signal to go ahead and tell them. "The Scott I knew couldn't put a gun together to save his life, I can't imagine him putting an engine together and having it work, much less teaching someone else how," Logan teased with a hearty chuckle.

The rest of the group joined Logan in the laugh as Scott sat good-naturedly and took the jibe.

"None of us knew Scott back then," Jean stated thoughtfully, a mischievous gleam in her eye, "what else can you tell us about him, Logan?"

Logan snorted as he thought back to another time and place. "Hell, Scott was a just a kid and it showed. He used to spend so much time trying to look cool that he usually wound up lookin' like a geek."

"Sounds like Scott," Marie agreed instantly, throwing her brother a sweetly innocent smile.

"Yeah," Logan nodded, "he wore these funky sunglasses all the time that wrapped around his face and made him look like he had one big eye. Ain't that right, Cyclops?" he crowed mockingly, a huge shit-eating grin covering his face.

Scott laughed heartily, a sound that quickly transformed into a snigger. "You sure you want to bring up nicknames, Wolvie?"

"Wolvie?" Jean repeated incredulously before breaking into hysterical laughter.

Eyes all around the room widened instantly at the feral, animalistic growl that issued from Logan as his upper lip curled into the harshest snarl. "That's Wolverine to you, bub," he corrected Scott with a glare that could have been serious in it's intensity but wasn't.

"Wolverine," Marie echoed before turning to question Scott. "Why Wolverine?"

The smirk on Scott's face widened as he began to explain. "Well for starters, there's that hair."

Marie looked at the Logan again, once more taking note of the wild tuffs at the top of his head.

"Then there's the fact that he's hairier than a dog," Scott continued with a chuckle.

Logan pursed his lips, his left eyebrow quirking high onto his forehead.

"Mostly though because he's a hell of a scrappy and vicious fighter for such a little guy," he went on teasingly.

Another low, menacing growl rumbled from Logan's chest, echoing around the small room.

"And then there's that," Scott laughed indicating the primal sound.

As Remy and Scott enjoyed a good laugh at Logan's expense, the women exchanged wide-eyed looks.

"Well Ah dunno 'bout the rest a y'all ladies but Ah think that's gotta be the sexiest sound Ah ever heard," Marie stated boldly eyeing the man beside her sideways.

"Absolutely," Jean agreed in a dreamy tone, her expression decidedly approving.

"Undoubtedly," Ororo concurred nodding her head slowly as she closed her eyes and sighed.

The men of course disagreed - well all except Logan who was smiling smugly.

"An' the package is pretty nice too, sugah," Marie added with a heavy drawl and a grin.

Logan cocked his head, giving Marie a sidelong look. "Well thank you, darlin'," he returned before eyeing Scott. "Your sister here not only got all the looks in the family but all the brains too, Scooter. And she's a helluva cook to boot!"

Scott grinned broadly looking at Marie. "Well she is a great cook but as for the rest, that's just what the little rogue wants you to think, Logan."

Ororo cackled loudly at that. "Rogue, I had forgotten all about that one."

"Ah ain't no rogue," Marie insisted, glaring at her brother before casting her gaze on to her friend. "Maybe ya'd like us t' tell Remy why we nicknamed ya storm, 'Ro? An' it don't have nothin' t' do with her profession."

The ebony-skinned woman blushed feverishly but didn't voice any objections to the story.

"Why dey call you dat, chere?" Remy wanted to know, his expression showing his enthusiasm.

"'Cause her bedroom used t' always look like a tornado had blown through it," Marie heckled, the group joining her in uproarious laughter.

"What are you laughing at, Marvel Girl?" Ororo demanded of Jean in mock anger.

"Marvel Girl?" Logan questioned with a snigger, his brows furrowing together.

"Her old boyfriend gave her that name in high school because she was so ... marvelous," 'Ro informed their new friends, the name rolling off her tongue suggestively.

"And boy is he ever right," Scott stated, meaningfully wiggling his eyebrows.

"Scott!" Jean cried indignantly.

"Oh please," Marie intervened loudly, rolling her eyes dramatically. "Anyone who's as big a nymphomaniac as ya're can not be that shy!"

Scott didn't even try to hide the smile of approval on his face. "She's got you there, honey."

"Oh yeah?" Jean challenged. "Just for that you aren't getting any."

"Not at the moment anyway," Ororo commented with a smirk.

"For the week," Jean stated defiantly.

"Sure," Marie replied dryly. "Jeannie, ya can't go eight hours much less eight days! Ya'll be screwin' what's left a Scott's brains out 'fore the night's over."

"That won't take much," Logan stated firmly with a totally straight face.

"Thanks, buddy," Scott said working to look hurt.

"Any time, bub," Logan return with a grin.

"What about you, Remy," Jean asked with an exaggerated degree of enthusiasm, "got a nickname?"

"Oui, petite," he responded with a swift nod. "Gambit."

"Gambit?" the group repeated nearly as one voice.

"Why Gambit?" Marie wondered before anyone had a chance to ask.

The tall, good-looking Cajun grinned at her for a beat before turning to the rest of the group in general. "Gambit 'cause Remy like t' play games," he responded smoothly, lifting a brow in Ororo's direction.

"I'm sure you do," Scott said with a chuckle, working hard not to laugh outright.



The conversation and friendly teasing continued for several hours before they decided to have dessert along with coffee or cocoa with just the slightest splash of Kahlua.

"Okay, who wants what?" Jean asked rising to help Marie with the task.

"What are the choices?" Scott wanted to know since he and Logan weren't there yet when the list was recited the first time.

"Pumpkin pie, pecan pie, date cake, snicker cake, or rhubarb/raspberry crisp," Marie reported slowly. "An' don't even say it, Scott," she added quickly in warning.

Scott scowled lightly at being caught out before he could give his usual response.

"How about a piece of each?" Logan asked unable to choose from the list - half of which he hadn't even heard of but sounded good.

Jean, Ororo and Scott instantly burst into hysterical laughter while Marie closed her eyes and shook her head patiently. Logan and Remy exchanged a quick glance as they wondered what the joke was.

"Y'all planned that didn't ya?" Marie demanded focusing on Scott, her expression firm but her eyes shining with mirth.

"Nope," Scott assured her looking more sincere then his acting ability would allow unless it was the truth.

"What's so funny?" Logan finally asked.

Scott laughed a little louder before calming enough to talk but even then he continued to snicker. "I always ask for a piece of each and Marie hates it. That's what she told me not to say."

"Oh shit," Logan swore softly before shifting his gaze to meet Marie's. "I'm sorry, I didn't know. I wasn't sure what to pick since I don't have any idea what half it is," he apologized.

"That's awl right, sugah," Marie returned with a wink. "If ya want a piece a each, ya can have a piece a each. Scott, you can choose one!"

Throwing a mock sneer at his sister, Scott gave his order to his wife while Remy told Ororo what he preferred.

It wasn't more than a few minutes later when the ladies returned with the desserts and a coffee tray filled with fresh coffee, hot water, cocoa, sugar, cream and Kahlua.

"Y'all can fix yer drinks the way ya like 'em," Marie told them as she handed Logan a large plate with a generous portion of each of the various desserts she'd made.

Logan tried not to laugh at the slight look of indignation on Scott's face as he got his small piece of crisp. Logan was quick to dig into his plate when Scott glanced his way, noticing his smug expression. After the first swift bite, he slowed down and enjoyed the flavor of each different dessert. He had been pleased to find that Marie was such a good cook but she was an even better baker.

Almost all talk ceased as the group enjoyed the baked goods and their drinks. They munched quietly, glancing around the room at the various decorations or simply becoming mesmerized by the dancing flicker of candle flames. No one spoke again until the last person set aside his or her plate with a contented sigh.

"That was wonderful, Marie," Jean broke the silence, punctuating her statement with a long, deep sigh.

"Magnifique," Remy agreed wholeheartedly.

"Everything was really great," Logan insisted honestly, patting his full belly for emphasis.

"Good as always, Marie," Ororo nodded smilingly.

Scott bobbed his head slowly. "I think you outdid yourself this time, sis."

"Thank ya, one and all," Marie returned with a play curtsy from her position near the coffee table. "Ah'm glad y'all enjoyed it."

"Is that time right?" 'Ro asked as she stared at the clock.

Looking at his watch, Scott nodded. "Yep, it's nine-thirty," he confirmed.

"No wonder I suddenly can't keep my eyes open," she admitted. Due to the confused look on Logan's face, she explained. "I start at the studio at five a.m. which means leaving home by three-thirty which means being up by three. I worked this morning so it has been a very long day."

"Oui, Remy up early dis mornin' too," the Cajun informed them, rising from the couch along with Ororo.

"I am sorry to cut the night short but I do not want to fall asleep on anyone out here," 'Ro explained.

"It's okay, 'Ro, go t' bed, ya look tired," Marie told her.

"Yeah," Jean agreed, "by all mean go fall asleep on someone in your own room."

Ororo shook her head as she led Remy through the door, her face bright with embarrassment.

"My Gawd, Jeannie!" Marie exclaimed as the door closed behind them. "Ya're such a sex monger."

Scott gave a loud, dramatic sigh. "The burdens I'm forced to bear."

Logan snorted loudly. "Oh, you poor baby."

"Oh yeah, Scott, Ah don' mean t' add t' yer burden but Ah wanna let ya know, in case Jeannie f'gets t' tell ya, ya will NOT be havin' sex on mah table this week," Marie stated loudly, pinning the couple with a firm, unwavering look.

From his position across the room, Logan had a good view of the couple and he couldn't help but laugh at the situation.

Flushing a bright shade of red, Scott looked questioningly at his wife who shrugged innocently. "I guess we'll just have to find another place," she said sweetly, her response only making him darken.

Marie shook her head slowly. "Well jus' so's ya know, awl common rooms are off limits fer that. Either keep it in yer own room or take it outside," she listed their available options.

"Fine," Jean condescended mockingly as she grabbed Scott by the arm and pulled him from his seat. "Come on, honey, we have some scouting to do."

Scott threw a quick glance at Logan over his shoulder as Jean pulled him out the door.

Shaking his head at the constant teasing within the family, Logan laughed at the look of false fear on Scott's face.

"Well," Marie began softly, "guess it's jus' the two a us."

Of everyone Logan had met, Marie was the one he felt most comfortable with aside from Scott, but now he suddenly found himself unexplainably nervous. "Yeah," he replied his voice rough with nerves. "I guess so."

They each glanced about the room, letting their eyes brush passed the other several times before either spoke again. It was Marie who finally dissolved the silence with a question - it might have been lame, but at least it required an answer. "So, Ah know that ya ain't had much time in it, but is ever'thin' awl right with yer room?"

"Fine," Logan responded with a short nod. "It's a helluva lot nicer then what I'm used to, that's for sure."

"Where ya been stayin'?" she asked, hoping to keep the conversation going.

"Shelters mostly," Logan told her, glancing over to gauge her reaction.

Marie was careful to keep her expression neutral despite the fact that she couldn't stand the idea of someone like Logan having to suffer in some of the shelters she'd visited.

"I've spent a lot of time moving around, looking for who I was and where I belonged so there wasn't much point in finding an apartment or anything," Logan explained, satisfied that she was interested and not judging him.

"Jean tol' me 'bout yer family, Logan, Ah'm sorry," Marie offered softly.

"Thanks," he responded tightly, the recent news of losing his entire family still weighing heavily. "I'm just glad that I found Scott ... or rather he found me."

"So am Ah," she agreed, smiling brightly. "Uh, listen, if ya don't min' me askin', what kinda work are ya lookin' fer? Ah know of a few openin's 'round here an' Ah have a lot a contacts in the city, maybe Ah can help ya find somethin'?"

"I'm not too particular," Logan assured her. "I don't really have a lot of useful skills unless someone's lookin' for a mercenary but I'm a hard worker and I learn fast."

Smiling at his fierce honesty, Marie nodded filing the information away for later.

Logan couldn't help but return the friendly expression as he met her gaze. The slow ease of conversation that had built up between them was threatened by his unusual reaction to her smile. His chest tightened suddenly, almost painfully and his heart pounded loudly against his ribcage, loud enough to resonant in his ears. Even his lungs had to be made to function against the pressure, producing a raggedness to his breath that he was certain Marie could hear as well as he could.

Rising quickly from his seat, Logan turned to face her. "Well I don't wanna keep you up, Marie."

"Ya ain't," Marie quickly disputed, rising with him. "Although Ah s'pose Ah should get all this gathered up an' get the dishes done 'fore bedtime," she continued gesturing at the various dirty dishes around the room.

Without an offer or a request, Logan helped her gather the cups and plates then carried them and the coffee tray to the kitchen for her.

"Thanks," Marie said as Logan set down the tray as close to the sink as he could with the already daunting pile there. Taking in the overwhelming task, Marie shook her head. "Ya know what, Ah ain't even gonna try t' conquer that t'night," she joked. "Ah'll take care a it in the mornin'."

Logan nodded quickly. "Sounds like a good idea," he agreed with a chuckle before his expression sobered. "Well, I'll see you in the morning, Marie. Good night."

"'Night, Logan," Marie called after him as he started walking away, her eyes drifting down his back to the tight curve of his ass. Swiftly she turned back to the stack of dishing requiring some attention and covertly fanned herself with her hand. Marie waited until she was certain that Logan was back in his room before she even turned back toward the door, much less started for her room.



Logan had almost managed to get to sleep when his eyes snapped open seemingly of their own accord, his mind racing with images from the day. Between that, the growling of his stomach and the ever-present threat of nightmares, Logan knew he wouldn't be sleeping anytime soon. With a growl of frustration, he threw back the covers and rose from the bed. Of the three things distracting him, he knew he could lessen two of them. There was plenty of food in the kitchen and with a couple of drinks he was sure to silence his mind if not banish the potential for nightmares.

Padding silently across the cold, hardwood floors on bare feet, Logan quietly opened the door to his room. There was no reason he should wake the others just because he couldn't sleep.

Making his way soundlessly down the hallway, he was surprised to find the soft glow of a light shining through the seams of a partially opened door. Logan paused outside, his ear perking up to listen. At first all he heard was a low clicking but as he moved stealthy forward and peered through the crack between the door and the frame, a soft, feminine humming began.

Logan pressed his body closer to the wall and froze, just listening to the gentle sound of the hummed Christmas carol. Despite the fact that the figure inside was completely covered, including her head, with some sort of cloak, it wasn't hard to determine whom it was playing solitaire on the computer at 11:30 at night. Even though she was only humming, it was quite clear to Logan that the woman inside was Marie. Closing his eyes he enjoyed the gentle sound of her voice, the soothing, lyrical tone she was producing. Logan was so immersed in the melodic vocalization that he failed to notice that the sound was getting louder until it was too late.

The door, in front of which he was, was suddenly pulled open and a wide-eyed Marie gasped at the unexpected sight of Logan standing there in the hallway. Her heart pounding wildly, Marie brought her hand up to her chest, resting it over the rapid beat. "Logan," she uttered softly, fighting to catch her breath.

Quickly averting his gaze, Logan started to turn back to his room as he muttered an apology. "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to startle you."

"Logan, wait," Marie called softly, reaching out as she did so to place a hand on his arm. She felt the muscles of his biceps flex as her bare skin touched his and in awe she lowered her gaze to see what she was feeling. She was amazed at the sight of the musculature of his upper body. As she'd seen him earlier, covered in the long-sleeved flannel shirt, it had been impossible to really tell his build.

Marie couldn't help but stare at the incredible sight of the man's naked torso and it had nothing to do with the smattering and crisscrossing of the scars there either. The power in the tensile brawn was surprising for such a small man but the sinewy lines and planes of his chest and arms was something the likes of which Marie had never seen, and doubted she ever would again.

The tender touch of the smooth hand on his arm brought Logan to an abrupt halt as he started to walk away. Turning slightly, he noticed Marie's intense perusal of his bare chest. Figuring she was staring at the series of scars depicting his years in captivity, Logan clenched his hands into fists and quickly crossed his arms to block her view.

Sensing Logan's unease at her unabashed gaze, Marie blinked, dropping her gaze to the floor briefly before meeting his eyes. "Was there somethin' ya needed?" she asked rather than trying to apologize for ogling him. "Ah's jus' on mah way t' the kitchen fer another drink and some more salsa, ya wanna join me?"

Logan considered the offer for a moment, it was just what he'd been after and he wasn't opposed to a little company either. "Okay," he agreed with a single nod.

"Good," Marie returned with a smile before turning toward the direction of the kitchen. Once there she directed Logan to the liquor cabinet and had him pour the drinks while she rummaged in the overfull refrigerator for the salsa. "Ah noticed ya didn't eat much at dinner," she called over her shoulder, "sorry mah cookin' wasn't appetizin'."

They both finished their tasks at the same time and met back in the doorway to the hall. Logan snorted loudly in response to her comment. "Are you kiddin' me, the food was great," he insisted enthusiastically before sobering, his voice fading off. He could tell by her questioning expression that Marie wanted to know more and she didn't seem the type to back down, if what he'd seen so far was any indication. "I'm not used to being around so many people," Logan admitted quietly. "Guess I was too nervous to eat much."

A small smile played at the corners of Marie's mouth. "Well then ya're probably more hungry than simple chips and salsa. Ya wan' me t' make ya a sandwich?"

Shaking his head quickly, Logan couldn't help but give an answering smile. "Nah, this'll be fine."

The pair made their way silently back down the hallway and into the more brightly-lit den. Marie closed the door behind them and moved to sit in one of the two high-back, leather chairs in front of the fireplace. Logan watched her, waiting until she was settled before moving to follow. He handed her one of the two glasses of whiskey he'd poured then sat in the seat beside hers, the chips and salsa positioned on the table between them.

"You know ... I noticed that you didn't eat much at dinner either," Logan started, bringing his glass to his lips and taking a healthy drink. "You sure chips and salsa are gonna be enough for you?"

Cocking her head to the side to look at him, Marie gave him a coy smile. "It'll be fine," she returned with a light laugh.

Logan let his eyes linger on her youthful beauty for a moment before continuing. "Come on, I told you why I didn't eat, so..."

Marie sighed heavily. "Well ... after spendin' two days in the kitchen gettin' the meal ready, Ah's too tired t' enjoy it," she informed him honestly.

"Then what're you doing up now?" Logan wanted to know.

"Jus' windin' down," she stated levelly, with well-practiced deceit. "An' you?"

"Same," Logan retorted with equal dishonesty.

They sat in comfortable silence, enjoying their drinks and staring at the blazing fire between covert glances at the other. That stretched on for several minutes before Logan decided he was intruding and quickly downed the rest of his drink before pushing to his feet.

"Well, it's almost midnight," he muttered gruffly, "guess I better get to sleep if Santa's gonna come."

A sweet little laugh issued from Marie's mouth and she smiled up at him affectionately. "Ah guess ya're right, sugah. Ah better head that way mahself."

Logan watched as Marie threw back the rest of the alcohol in her glass with a grace that defied logic before rising to her feet. "Can I take this stuff back to the kitchen for you?" he asked, indicating the snacks and dirty glasses.

"Nah, we'll leave it fer Santa," Marie responded with a wink before gesturing Logan toward the door.

They walked together down the hallway, pausing at Logan's door. "Guess I'll see you in the morning," he said softly before reaching for the knob. "Sleep well, darlin'."

Marie smiled broadly, nodding her head slightly. "Ya too, sugah," she returned as she turned up the hall toward her own room.

Logan waited until she was inside the master suite, the door closed behind her before he entered his bedroom. With a heavy sigh he moved to the bed, hoping that the few chips and the single glass of whiskey would be enough to afford him at least a little bit of restful sleep.



Marie closed her bedroom door and released a heavy sigh. Moving across the room, she removed her robe and tossed it haphazardly on the back of a nearby chair as she passed. Pausing at the stereo, she slipped on the headphones, put in her favorite CDs and pushed play before slipping beneath the covers on her bed and lying down. Closing her eyes, Marie hoped that the soft sounds of the music would lull her to sleep as it sometimes did.

After an hour of unsuccessful trying, she pulled off the headphones and shut off the stereo. Once again it looked like another restless night, not that it was anything new.

Turning on the bedside lamp, Marie pulled out her book and started to read. She hadn't finished more than a couple of paragraphs when a loud groan reached her ears. Marie paused, motionlessly listening. She had almost convinced herself that she was hearing things when it sounded again. Cocking her head she listened closely, trying to make out the mumbling that was coming through the wall from Logan's room. She couldn't make out any of the words but it was pretty clear from the moaning and groaning that he was having a none to pleasant dream.

Not sure what to do, Marie pushed aside her blankets and rose from her bed. Making her way across the room, she considered her options. She could wake Scott and let him deal with it but that seemed petty somehow. After all, all Scott would be able to do would be to wake him and Marie figured that would be all the more embarrassing for Logan.

Finally having made her mind up, Marie stepped from her room down the hall and quietly opened Logan's door. He was twisting and thrashing beneath the covers and his vocalizations were much louder and more urgent in the small room. "Logan?" Marie called softly from just inside the door as she started towards him.

"Logan," she said a little louder when the first hail proved ineffectual.

Again the only response was more of the same. Even in the same room with him, Marie couldn't make out what Logan was trying to say. Hoping to wake him without waking the rest of the house with a shout, Marie continued forward, circling around the bed to the side closest to where Logan was lying.

"Logan, wake up," she pleaded, leaning over to touch his shoulder. "Logan, wake..." the rest of her words died unspoken as a vice-like grip encircled her throat.

Marie's eyes widened in pain and fear as Logan bolted upright in his bed, his hand wrapped violently around her neck, a berserk, feral look in his hazel eyes as a panicked scream tore from his throat. She tried to reassure him that he was safe, that she wasn't a threat but all that emerged from her restricted throat was a series of sickening gurgles.

Fighting to keep her eyes opened, Marie met Logan's gaze, watching as the fury turned to recognition and then horror. Immediately he ripped his hand away, just as the door across the room slammed open, Scott leading the charge as the others filled in behind him.

Gasping loudly, Marie drew in a deep breath as she slumped forward into Logan, who promptly cradled her to his chest, rocking her slightly.

"Marie," Scott shouted as he hurried across the room and dropped to his knees beside Logan's bed, his hand falling onto her shoulder. "What happened?" he demanded harshly looking to Logan for answers.

Opening her mouth to respond, Marie was overcome with a raspy cough that racked her body terribly.

"Don't try to talk yet, Marie," Logan whispered tenderly as he continued to rock her slowly.

"Jean, 'Ro, get her out of here," Scott ordered crisply, pulling Marie from Logan's embrace and holding her up for the other women.

Closing his eyes as Marie was taken from the room, Logan dropped his head into his hands and fought the urge to vomit. He could have killed her, hell, he almost had.

"Logan?" Scott's voice, surprisingly soft and gentle sounded in his ears and he slowly lifted his head to meet his friend's gaze. "What happened?"

His eyes darting around the room wildly, Logan caught sight of the young Cajun in the doorway and held his gaze for a beat.

"Remy jus' go check on de ladies," he said nervously before pulling the door closed.

Logan wanted until the door closed before once again facing his friend. "Give me a few minutes and I'll pack up and leave," he said quietly.

"What?" Scott probed, his forehead wrinkling with a scowl.

Cursing himself for his actions, Logan pushed past Scott and started jamming his belongings into his bag. "I'm sorry, Scott. I'll be gone in a few minutes."

"Dammit, Logan," he shouted, "I just want to know what happened. You don't have to leave."

Pausing in his work, Logan turned to his friend. "You saw what happened, Scott, I was strangling your sister," he returned sharply, venting his internal anger, externally.

Scott closed his eyes and released a heavy sigh, letting the tension bleed away before moving forward. "What I don't know is why, Logan," he said more calmly. "I know you weren't just doing it for kicks so what happened?"

Shame and sorrow blanketing his features, Logan responded softly. "I was having a nightmare and Marie tried to wake me." Taking Scott's silence as understanding, he went back to his task of packing. "Tell Marie that I'm sorry," he whispered emotionally, hefting the bag to his shoulder as he started toward the door.

"Logan, wait," Scott called after him, stopping him at the door. "You don't have to leave, it was an accident. Marie's all right, she's tough."

Logan turned back to face the other man, his rage at himself boiling over again. "She's all right this time, Scott, but what about next time?"

Unable to think of an appropriate response, Scott shook his head, dropping his gaze to the floor.

Nodding, Logan turned back to the door just as it opened. Marie stood in the hallway just outside the door, her eyes meeting Logan's for a beat before he looked away. As she let her eyes drift down, she noticed the bag draped over his shoulder and a dam broke, releasing a flood of tears.

His attention drawn by a sniffle, Logan returned his gaze to Marie and found her staring at him from tear-filled eyes. He couldn't look away from her as large drops slipped from her eyes, rolling silently down her sculpted cheeks.

"Don't leave," Marie whispered hoarsely past her damaged throat. "Please?"

Logan followed the path of her tears down her chin, swallowing loudly as his eyes brushed past the ugly finger-shaped blemishes marring the perfect skin of her neck. "It's better if I leave now, darlin'," he told her softly, his gaze once again glued to the floor.

"Ah don' want ya t' go," Marie rasped in less than a whisper. "It was mah fault, Logan. Please stay."

Despite his better judgement, when Logan looked up into those chocolate-brown eyes, he knew he couldn't deny her. "For now," he agreed reluctantly before hastily adding, "but if anything else happens, I don't want any arguments."

Marie smiled and gave him a short nod as she chewed lightly on her lower lip. Swallowing gingerly, she turned to move back to her room when Logan's voice stopped her.

"Marie," he called in a low, gentle tone, "it wasn't your fault. I'm sorry."

Giving him a lop-sided grin, she turned around and moved back down the hall.

Scott was standing behind Logan when he pivoted around to reenter his room. "I'm glad you're staying, Logan."

"I'm still not sure I should," Logan admitted as Scott moved past him into the hall with Jean and the others who were still milling around.

"You should," Scott assured him with a nod. "You should."

Still not convinced, Logan arched a brow before pushing the door to his room closed. He didn't know that he should, but he had made a promise, one he intended to keep.



Following several hours spent examining his decision to stay, Logan felt no better about it although he still didn't want to break his promise to Marie. He didn't know why she even wanted him to stay after what happened. He could have killed her and yet she had practically begged him not to go. With a shake of his head, Logan left his room hoping to get a smoke in before everyone else was up and ready to get on with the Christmas Day festivities.

Logan made his way quietly down the hallway so as not to wake anyone. As he neared the intersection of the hallway where it branched off, to the kitchen on the right, and the living room on the left, Logan heard a resounding clatter from the former. Peeking inside he found Marie hard at work, obviously preparing breakfast for the group, the dirty dishes from the night before still looming behind her. A scowl soured his face at the memory of her telling him that she hadn't eaten much at dinner because she'd been too worn out from fixing the meal. Now, here she was at it again while the others slept. A flash of intense fury rushed through him at the idea and Logan started to move to help her when another sound drew his attention, this time from the other direction.

With a brow arched quizzically, Logan opened the door to the living room and was immediately assaulted by the loud, boisterous laughter from inside. His anger increased exponentially upon his discovery that the rest of the group was happily enjoying a restful morning while Marie slaved away alone in the kitchen, isolated even from their company.

Inside the living room, the two couples quieted somewhat with Logan's appearance but they all acknowledged him in some way.

Ororo offered him a welcoming smile.

Remy threw a quick nod in his direction.

Jean greeted him with a soft smile and a simple, "Good morning, Logan."

Rising from his seat, Scott was about to enthusiastically welcome him, when he noticed Logan's angered expression. "Everything okay, Logan?" he asked instead.

Logan turned hard eyes on his friend and stared at him harshly for a moment before sweeping the same look over the others. "I don't get you people," he stated gruffly.

"What do you mean?" Scott wondered aloud, his confusion plain in his features.

His expression hardening further, Logan's tone became sharper and his voice louder. "What, do you all think this is a hotel or motel? You think it's okay for all of you to sit in here on your asses having a good time while Marie does all the cooking and cleaning up after all of you? What the hell kind of friends and family are you?"

The room was silent for a long moment, while the occupants stared slack-jawed and wide-eyed at him. It was Jean's calm, quiet voice that finally responded. "Logan, Marie usually wants to do it all..."

"Usually," Logan repeated angrily, cutting her off. "She usually wants to do it all? Did you even bother to ask this time, or did you just assume? Did any of you even notice that she hardly ate a thing at dinner last night? She was too damn tired catering to all of you to even enjoy her own meal. Now I don't know about the rest of you but that is not all right with me." Before anyone could even consider a response, Logan turned on his heel and left the room.

The group exchanged a series of looks but didn't say a thing as they rose from their seats and moved, almost as one, toward the door. They made it into the hallway in time to see Logan taking the dishcloth from Marie's hand and turning to the major task.

Marie was about to question his actions when the others swept into the room, filling the nice sized kitchen to near capacity. "What's goin' on?" she asked no one in particular as her eyes shifted from one to another around the room.

Logan busied himself with the job in front of him, biting his lower lip to keep from doing a little more yelling at the group.

"What all needs to be done?" Scott asked rather than offering her an answer.

Her forehead furrowing in confusion, Marie shook her head and shrugged her shoulders. "The rolls are in the over finally an' Ah's jus' gonna do the dishes while they baked."

Taking her by the arm, Scott pulled her across the room and prompted her to sit before moving back into the kitchen with the others. "You rest, we'll get it," he threw back at her as he joined Logan at the sink.

"Can I pour the juice?" Jean asked, pulling out the large container of orange juice from the refrigerator.

"Ah s'pose," Marie returned softly. She was starting to wonder if they'd all lost their minds.

Ororo turned from the cupboard with a stack of holiday paper plates. "Can we use these to set the table?" she asked, her head tilted slightly in Remy's direction clarifying the 'we'.

By now, Marie's entire expression was wrinkled by confusion but she managed to nod in response to 'Ro's question. "Will someone please tell me what's goin' on here?" Marie queried, her tone practically pleading for information.

"It's Christmas morning," Jean stated as she handed her a glass of juice, "we didn't want you to have to do all the work while we ... sat in the other room on our asses having a good time." She was careful to use Logan's earlier words again to assure him that she'd been listening.

"Dat right, petite," Remy agreed, setting a plate and eating utensils in front of her.

"Oh," Marie returned, obviously surprised by the idea. "Well that's nice, thank y'all," she said with a smile, sweeping her gaze over the group. Marie was quick to notice that Scott and Logan were leaning closer than was necessary at the oversized sink.

"Thank you," Scott whispered to his friend. "We're just so used to Marie doing it all that we forget to help out. Thanks for the kick in the ass."

"I'd like to kick you in the ass," Logan retorted in a tight low growl, "all of you."

Marie continued to watch the two men and it was pretty clear that Logan was upset about something but what she wasn't sure.

With everyone pitching in, it wasn't long before everything was done, including the rolls. The group was gathered around the table talking when the buzzer sounded. Marie had barely made a move to rise when a firm hand landed on her shoulder, effectively keeping her in the chair.

"I'll get it," Logan told her softly, an undeterminable intensity in his hazel eyes.

Jean and Scott exchanged a pleased grin at the tender exchange between Logan and Marie. Remy and Ororo were so busy at that point focusing on each other that they failed to notice.



Following a quiet breakfast, Ororo and Remy did up the morning dishes while the others cleared the table, once again forbidding Marie to help.

Soon they were all back in the living room, the lights from the Christmas tree shining brightly, twinkling off the metallic paper and ribbons on the horde of gifts beneath the full branches. As the night before, the group took the same seats and settled in for a long morning of opening all those presents, many of which hadn't been there the night before.

"Someone must have been very good this year," 'Ro commented taking in the new stacks of gifts. "It looks like Santa must have unloaded his whole sleigh here."

"Oui, chere, Remy never seen so many t'ings," the Cajun nodded wide-eyed.

"Well speakin' a Santa, Scott, would ya mind?" Marie asked raising her brow questioningly.

Instantly a huge grin spread across the man's face as he rose from the loveseat beside Jean, gleefully rubbing his hands together.

Jean laughed at him loudly. "Babe, you are so adorable when you get all giddy like that."

A loud snort from across the room drew their attention as Logan went into a fit of coughs.

"Are ya awl right?" Marie asked, moving a hand to pat his back lightly.

Logan turned his head to face her and nodded, even as he continued to snicker not only at Jean's comment but also at Scott exuberance.

Scott ignored it all as he made his way to the tree and picked up a small package. Turning, he smiled at Logan, starting toward him with a smug expression. "Well, since you seem to want to make a spectacle of yourself, this might help," he offered, handing Logan the first present.

With an uncertain scowl, Logan took the package. There was a clear warning in his gaze when it met Scott's that it better not be something embarrassing. He was surprised when the other man's expression turned pensive, Logan's nervousness increasing immensely.

"Open it," Scott ordered in a low, anxious voice.

Something in Scott's tone set Logan a little more on edge as he rolled the package in his hands examining it carefully. It was a small box, extremely light in weight even for it's size.

"Come on, Logan," Marie called excitedly in that honey rich accent, smiling sweetly and expectantly at him.

Logan quickly rolled his shoulders to loosen taut muscles before snapping his head from side to side, cracking bones shattering the silence. He was totally aware that all eyes were on him and he wasn't particularly happy about it. Hoping that opening the damn thing would finally get some attention off of him, Logan tore into the fine paper surrounding the box and tossed it carelessly aside. Glancing up at Scott with a perturbed expression, he was surprised to find the other man watching him very closely.

With a growl of unease, Logan pulled the top off the box only to find another, this one a jewelers box of black velvet. His brows furrowing as he tried to determine what the hell Scott would be giving him from a jeweler, he dumped the box into his palm then turned it back over. With a final glance at Scott, Logan pulled up the top of the box and got his first glimpse of the object inside. He could do nothing more than stare at the metal chain and tag nestled on the satin pillow inside.

For a moment, Logan stopped breathing, the sound of his pounding heart drumming loudly in his ears as he sat paralyzed, staring in shock at the memento of so long ago.

Scott paid close attention to his friend as he opened the box, hoping that it wouldn't be too much for him. As he watched, Logan's hands started to tremble, the rest of his body quickly following suit. Feeling the need to say something, Scott started to explain, his voice low and soft escaping his mouth in a hoarse whisper. "Your official tags were buried in place of a body but I managed to pull that one off first," he told his friend.

Logan slowly lifted his hand and extricated the metal from the box, holding it loosely in the palm of his left hand, his right forefinger moving to trace the engraving, W-O-L-V-E-R-I-N-E.

"When I got back I gave the tag to your father," Scott continued softly. "Linda got it when he passed and she left it to me."

Lifting his gaze to his friend even as he fought the threat of tears, Logan was unable to speak but offered Scott a tight nod of thanks.

Meeting Logan's emotional expression, Scott gave him a small smile. "I thought you should have it have back," he finally concluded.

Swallowing past the lump in his throat, Logan nodded again, clearing his throat before attempting to speak. "Thanks," he managed to croak emotionally as he pinned Scott with a look practically begging him to turn the attention elsewhere.

Scott quickly moved back to the tree and took up another gift before taking it to the recipient. "'Ro, for you from Jean and I," he announced as he handed the large, flat box over to her.

With an excited smile, Ororo took the proffered gift and laid it carefully on her lap as she began to open it.

Grateful to have the eyes of the others on someone else, Logan turned his attention back to the dog tag in his hand. He stared at the item for a long moment before finally taking the chain in his hands and pulling it over his head. Logan tilted his head down to see the tag resting against the flannel of his shirt before tucking it under the collar of his T-shirt, the cool metal falling on his chest.

As he shifted his gaze to watch the final stages of Ororo's present opening, Logan found Marie watching him. She gave him a simple smile before turning toward her friend as well.

"My goodness," Ororo exclaimed as she peeled back the paper inside the box she'd finally gotten open. "Thank you so much," she squealed, smiling broadly as she looked from Scott to Jean, "this is exactly what I wanted."

"You would not believe the number of stores I had to go to before I found them," Jean told her as 'Ro held up the black leather jacket to examine before doing the same to the matching pants. "I never did find the gloves."

"Oh, I am sorry it was such a pain," 'Ro returned, grinning wildly about the gift.

"Hey, we're just glad it's what you wanted," Scott added before turning back to the tree for another gift. "Let's see, what next?" After a moment of careful consideration, he chose another package. "This is also from us," he said handing the box to Remy.

"T'ank you, homme," Remy said as he accepted the gift, tearing into the paper quickly. A moment later, he was holding a sizeable bottle of whiskey, a broad grin on his face. "Dis de good stuff too."

"Yes it is," Scott muttered under his breath, turning back to the waiting pile of gifts. He quickly found the next one he wanted to pass along and carried it across the room to Marie. "Jean and I had a hell of a time trying to decide what to get for you and since we didn't get any hints," he scolded as he handed over a relatively flat but quite large box, "we chose this."

Smiling brightly, Marie took the package and immediately began to tear into it. Shortly there after, she was pulling off the top of the box and digging into the tissue paper inside. Marie gasped loudly as she reached the actual present inside, pulling it from the box to get a better look.

"We figured with you always having to dress up for the fundraisers that you needed a better dress coat," Jean informed her as she held up the dark green cloak. "It even has a hood in case it rains."

"Ah love it," Marie assured them as she continued to examine the garment. "Ya did real good with this one, thank ya both," she said happily, folding the coat back into the box and setting it aside.

The next gift Scott presented went to Jean. "This, my love, is from me," he told her with a loving kiss to the cheek.

Jean tore into the wrapping faster than anyone thus far and smiled up at her husband as she revealed the large jeweler's box. She didn't waste any time pulling the top back to view the contents inside, freezing in shock at what she found. "Oh my God ... Scott," she whispered almost inaudibly.

"Wha' d'ya get?" Marie asked when it became obvious that Jean was too surprised to realize that everyone was waiting to see.

Without a word, Jean simply held up the opened box and turned it so everyone could see the matching ruby necklace, bracelet, earrings and ring inside.

"Very nice," Ororo commented in an awed tone.

"Thank you, babe," Jean said a bit tearfully.

Scott gave his wife a quick wink before continuing in his duties as Santa. "Okay, I guess this is next," he said taking up another package and turning back to the others. "To Logan, from Jean," he read, a questioning tone creeping into his voice as he moved across the room and handed the gift off. The question was in that the tag had originally said "To Scott" but his name had been crossed off and Logan's put in its place.

Logan took the present, quirking an eyebrow at Jean as he did so, and opened it quickly. "Nice," he commented as he pulled the bottle of whiskey free and held it up for the others to see. "Thanks."

Across the room, Remy held up his own matching bottle and nodded to Logan with a grin.

"I hope you enjoy it," Jean told him, glancing at her husband and grinning at the scowl she saw there. He'd really wanted that bottle of whiskey. Lifting an eyebrow in a delicate arch, Jean conveyed to Scott that she'd make it up to him later.

His disappointment fading, Scott glanced around the room to see who was next before turning back to the tree. "Something for 'Ro," he mumbled to himself.

"Dat righ' dere," Remy insisted pointing out a gift to Scott.

Taking up the suggested present, Scott moved over and handed it to Ororo. "To 'Ro, from Remy," he announced, lifting his eyebrows sharply at his friend.

The ebony-skinned beauty took the gift with a smile at Scott before turning a coy grin at her lover. The box beneath the metallic wrapping paper contained a gorgeous beaded choker of African design. Ororo could do nothing more than stare open-mouthed at the extremely costly piece of jewelry.

"You like, chere?" Remy asked having expected a more enthusiastic response.

'Ro remained motionless for another beat before turning to face the man beside her, tears filling her eyes. "Oh, Remy, it is beautiful. I love it," she assured him emotionally, wrapping her arms around him in a tender hug. "Thank you."

"Remy worried dere for a minute," he stated with a sigh as he returned the embrace.

Pulling back, Ororo smiled at him before turning her attention to Scott. "That one there is for Remy," she said pointing out a particular package.

"Here you are," Scott told the Cajun, handing him the gift 'Ro had indicated.

With a grin at the woman beside him, Remy tore into the paper, obviously excited to see what his girlfriend had gotten him. The box beneath the wrapping was quickly opened to reveal a garment box, which contained a very nice trench coat. "Dis jus' wha' Remy wanted, chere," he assured her excitedly.

Ororo smiled softly. "It does not seem enough compared to this," she informed him, fingering the choker she now wore around her neck.

"Nonsense," Remy returned quickly.

Still feeling a little like she'd been outdone 'Ro just nodded. She could always make it up to him later.

"I guess that makes it Marie's turn," Scott commented mostly to himself as he searched for another present with her name on it.

"Right there, Scott," Ororo pointed out.

With a nod, he retrieved the package and walked it Marie. "From Ororo and Remy," he announced before handing it over.

Marie went to work peeling off paper and quickly revealed yet another garment box. With a shake of her head and a quick quirk of her brow at 'Ro, she dug in past the tissue paper until she found what was inside. "Oh mah Gawd!" she exclaimed rising from her seat quickly. Turning, Marie placed the box in the chair that she'd just risen from and pulled out the garment to get a better look.

"I thought of you as soon as I saw it," Ororo informed her with a smile.

"This is amazin'," Marie cooed, holding the emerald green evening gown up against her body to get an idea of what it would look like, making a slow turn so everyone could see.

Logan's left eyebrow shot high onto his forehead at the sight of the gown and the thought of what Marie would look like wearing it. That thought alone was enough to make a man sweat.

"That is really gorgeous," Jean offered her opinion in an awed tone.

"Dere are matching gloves too, petite," Remy informed her.

Turning back to the box, Marie found that there was indeed a pair of matching silk opera gloves inside. "Thank ya both, Ah love it."

Ororo and Remy exchange a glance before the former responded. "We are glad you like it."

"Moving on," Scott announced as he moved back to the still considerable pile of presents beneath the tree. "Ah ha," he snorted snatching a gift and moving toward Jean. Scott stopped just beside her position, grinning like a kid. "To Scott, From Jean." Placing the package in his chair, he was turning back to the tree when Logan's voice stopped him.

"Aren't you gonna open it?" his friend asked.

"Scott likes t' open all a his last," Marie told Logan rolling her eyes slightly in a mocking gesture.

After a moment Logan nodded, a knowing smile spread across his face. "More attention that way," he teased.

"Ya got that right," Marie returned with a wink, once again the two of them enjoying the tag-team teasing of Scott.

"All right you two, don't make me have to separate you," Scott scolded in his most authoritative teacher's voice.

Marie and Logan looked at each other mischievously before turning back to Scott and responding in perfect unison. "Yes, Mister Summers."

The room immediately came alive with the sound of hysterical laughter, the occupants all doubling over as they responded to the perfectly timed jibe.

"All right, all right," Scott shouted in a poor imitation of a stern voice. He let the hysterics calm down a little more before he went back to searching the tree for another gift for Jean. As they group finally got themselves under control, Scott moved back to his wife and showed her a huge box. "To Jean, from Ororo and Remy."

"Oh my God!" Jean stammered, wide-eyed as Scott put the package down on the seat next to his wife. Grinning excitedly at 'Ro for a beat, Jean then turned her attention to opening the wrapping. It didn't take her long to tear that off, revealing the top of the line espresso maker.

"I know you have one at home but with as much time as you spend at the office and lab, I thought one for work would be nice," Ororo told her.

Jean looked up to her friend, shaking her head slowly from side to side. "This is great, 'Ro. Heck this is better than the one I have at home, I think I'll keep it there and take my old one to work. Thank you so much," she smiled.

After moving Jean's new coffee maker to the floor, Scott went back to the tree for more. Lifting a rather large box with perfect technique, lifting with his legs, he was surprised at how light it was for its size. Turning so that his gaze swept past Ororo, Scott threw a questioning look at her and she just smiled in return. Curiosity threatened but he shrugged it off as he set the box in his vacant seat then turned again to the remaining presents.

"Oooh, to Scott, from Ororo and Remy," Jean read the tag on the large box Scott had just deposited.

Marie smirked along with the other women since all of their gifts more or less went together.

Scott made his way to a specific stack of presents that was half hidden behind the loveseat 'Ro and Remy occupied. Picking up the top box, he read the tag before he grinned and started to turn. "To Logan, from Marie." Scott hadn't even taken his first step when Marie's voice stopped him in his tracks.

"Scott, tha' whole stack's fer Logan," she stated, meeting her brother's gaze.

His grin widening, Scott turned around and put the single box back where he'd gotten it before bending down to pick up the pile.

Logan's forehead furrowed as he got his first look at the stack Marie was referring to. There had to be six or eight boxes of various sizes in the pile. Cocking his head to the side, Logan found Marie smiling at him as Scott lowered the stack onto his lap.

"Open the top one last," Marie requested softly.

Being helpful, Scott removed the top box and set it aside so Logan could get to the others. Even then the pile was so big that the shorter man couldn't see over the top of it. It took several minutes for Logan to make his way through all eight presents and when he was finished he had more clothes than he could ever remember owning. In the stack there were multiple T-shirts, sweatshirts and flannels, a couple of sweaters, socks, several pairs of jeans, a pair of slacks and a new boots.

"Ah think ever'thin'll fit," Marie told him when Logan finished and turned to her. "If somethin' don't Ah can exchange it."

Logan didn't know what to say; he was completely overwhelmed by the generosity of the young woman sitting next to him. He opened his mouth to speak but couldn't think of anything to say so he closed it again. After another moment, Logan tried again, this time more successfully. "This is too much," he insisted, his voice hoarse with emotion. "I can't accept all of this. Just having me here is enough."

"Don' be silly, Logan," Marie retorted lightly, meeting his eyes. "'Course ya can take it, no one can have too many clothes."

As her eyes locked with his, Logan knew that Marie wouldn't back down so despite his feeling that it was more than he deserved, he accepted her gifts as they were intended. "Thank you, Marie."

"Ya're welcome," she returned with a beautiful smile and a slight wink.

Shifting his gaze away from her at the flirtatious gesture, Logan realized that the group was still watching him. "What?" he growled, hating to be the center of attention.

"You forgot one," Scott stated, nodding his head at the box he'd set aside.

Logan turned toward the box with a heavy sigh and grabbed it from its nearby resting-place. He tore into it quickly, pulling off the box top and ruffling through the thin paper inside. His hands stilled as they came into contact with the final gift. It had been a long time but Logan knew the feel of fine leather like the back of his hand.

The black leather jacket inside the box was not a cheap coat and once again Logan wanted to protest but the look of absolute joy on Marie's face was something that he couldn't be responsible for spoiling.

"Hey, that looks like..." Scott's words fell off sharply at the stern look from Marie.

"Looks like what?" Logan wanted to know, turning his attention to his friend.

For the briefest of moments, Scott did a really good imitation of deer caught the headlights of a car. "Looks like a great jacket," he finally said after a short pause.

Logan wasn't at all convinced by Scott's act but he didn't want to question it in front of the group. Filing the comment away for another time, he simply nodded.

"Okay," Scott sighed, relief obvious in his tone to anyone who was listening, "we're getting down to the good stuff." Going straight to the small cluster of presents by the door, Scott took the first one and moved to next person in line. "To Ororo, from Logan."

The weather woman was more than a little surprised as Scott handed her the latest gift. Quickly her eyes snapped to the near stranger across the room.

"I couldn't come empty handed," Logan stated, his voice low and a little gruff. "Scott helped me pick everything out so if you don't like it, you know who to blame."

Still slightly in shock, 'Ro slowly tore off the wrapping paper and opened the box beneath. A soft gasp escaped her slightly parted lips as Ororo reached in and pulled out the short leather gloves, which perfectly matched the jacket Jean and Scott had given her. "They are just what I wanted, Logan," she told him with a big smile. "Thank you."

Responding with a curt nod and nothing more, Logan cleared his throat and glanced at Scott.

Scott already had the next gift in his hands and quickly passed it over to Remy.

The younger, long-haired man took the present and with a nod to Logan opened it. "Dis perfect, homme," he told the other man, glancing at him briefly before examining the decorative card box in great detail. "T'anks."

"And for Marie," Scott said handing Logan's gift to her.

With a quick glance at Logan, Marie accepted the item and opened it with great care. Taking a deep breath and releasing it slowly, she removed the top of the small box she'd unveiled. Marie blinked several times at the contents, chewing nervously on her bottom lip before she reached into the box and wrapped her fingers around the thin wisp of fabric. "This is absolutely gorgeous, Logan," Marie cooed softly as she dragged the pure, spun silk scarf from the box.

"Do you really like it?" he asked. More than anything else, it was important that Marie like what he got her. The truth was, he didn't really care whether anyone else liked what he'd gotten for them but Marie was special.

"Ah love it, sugah," she assured him with a fond smile. "It's wonderful an' it's mah favorite color too."

Logan couldn't help but smile slightly at the enthusiasm of her response. It really made him feel good to know that she liked it, even if it was Scott who'd suggested it, even the color.

Grinning widely at the outcome of Marie's present, Scott moved back to the tree and picked up another gift. "And for my beautiful wife," he said handing Jean yet another present.

Taking the gift with a smile, Jean turned the same expression on Logan as she tore off the wrapping paper to reveal a box of perfume, a rather expensive one at that. "Oooh," Jean cried excitedly, "this is my favorite and I'm almost out. Thank you, Logan."

Another quick nod was Logan's only response.

By then Scott had picked up the last of Logan's gifts and lifted the small package over his head for all to see before putting it with the rest of his presents on the seat of the couch beside Jean. Rubbing his hands together, Scott glanced to Marie and at her nod took up the largest of the remaining items under the tree, in fact the largest of everything that had been under it period.

"To Ororo, from Marie," Scott announced, sliding the huge box across the floor to the spot in front of her.

Shaking her head, 'Ro turned to look at her friend before shifting back to the present. "You always do to much," she said with a soft sigh.

"What's the use a havin' money if ya can't give those closest t' ya a nice Christmas present?" Marie returned in a low voice.

Tilting her head for lack of a better response, Ororo went to work peeling the paper off the oversized box in front of her. Anxiously she pulled open the top and reached inside, removing a gigantic stuffed giraffe. Confusion contorted the slightly older woman's face until she noticed the envelope hanging from the animal's neck.

Ororo pushed the now empty box aside with her foot and placed the giraffe on the floor in its place. She took a deep breath as she removed the envelope, breaking the seal as she exhaled slowly. It took her a moment to study the documents she'd removed before 'Ro got the gist of the gift. "Oh my goodness," she gasped softly, looking to Marie. "What have you done?" Ororo asked as her eyes filled with tears.

"Well ya said ya wanted t' go home fer a visit," Marie reminded her dear friend, her own eyes filling with tears. "Ah got two open-ended, round-trip tickets so's ya could take someone with ya," she explained with a quick glance at Remy. "An' a 'course a little spendin' money."

"Marie," 'Ro sobbed, rising from her seat and moving to stand in front of her. "Thank you," she cried before wrapping her arms around the younger woman in an emotional embrace.

Teary-eyed herself, Marie returned the hug. "Ya're welcome, sugah. Have a good time now, ya hear?"

Pulling back, Ororo nodded slowly. "I promise."

With a glance from Marie, Scott moved on, handing the next gift to Remy.

The Cajun was still wide-eyed over Ororo's gift and while he knew his wouldn't compare he was still a little nervous. As it turned out, he had good reason to be nervous as he uncovered one of the best, and thus most expensive, laptop computers made. "Remy can' take dis, chere," he stated firmly, his voice thick with awe. "Dis too much."

Marie shook her head. "'Ro tol' me that ya's lookin' fer a portable computer so's ya could always have it with ya. Ah understand ya're writin' a book or somethin' a the sort?"

"Oui, chere, but..."

"Hey now, the only butt allowed in this house is Scott," she interrupted, tossing a wink at her brother. "Please take it, Remy, Ah ain't got a use fer it an' Ah can't return it so ya gotta take it."

With an uncomfortable glance at Ororo and receiving a quick nod from her, Remy finally nodded himself. "Remy don' know wha' t' say, chere. Dis more den Remy deserve."

"Jus' make sure ya send me a first edition," Marie returned with a wink.

"Oui," Remy agreed with a nod, "firs' off de presses."

"Jean?" Scott called from his position at her side, offering her the gift in his hand.

Taking the item with a glance at Marie, Jean slowly peeled off the paper to reveal a plain manila envelope. Jean's forehead wrinkled with thought as she turned the envelope over and broke the seal. Her breathing was becoming more erratic as she pulled a series of documents and a brochure out. After studying the contents for a moment, Jean looked up and locked eyes with her sister-in-law. Tears sprang to her eyes and all she could do was shake her head, she was so overwhelmed.

"It's bein' delivered this week and Hank should have it set up and runnin' by the time ya get back," Marie explained, her own voice trembling with emotion.

Tears were streaming down Jean's face as she finally found her voice. "I can't believe you did this, Marie. This is a $25,000 piece of equipment," she stated with a sniffle.

"A piece a equipment that ya needed," Marie returned in an equally teary voice, "an' one that'll save lives."

Everyone in the room sat in silent awe of the young woman and her generosity.

It was Marie who broke the silence as she rose from her seat. "Well, Scott, guess it's time fer yers. Sorry but Ah couldn't get it inside," she said, moving toward the door.

Scott moved with her to the door and out onto the front porch before following her gesture toward the garage. His eyes widened and his mouth fell opened at the sight that greeted him. "Oh my God!"

It was the awe in his voice alone that brought the men out of their seats, the women all knew what Marie had gotten him. Despite the fact that Remy was closer, Logan made it to the door first and did an amazing imitation of Scott's stunned expression. "Holy shit!" he exclaimed, pausing only for a second before hurrying to where Scott was examining his brand new Harley Davidson motorcycle.

"Merde," Remy swore as he slid past Marie and moved to join Scott and Logan.

"I think they like it," Jean teased as her and Ororo joined Marie on the porch.

The three men all looked like kids in the proverbial candy store as they examined the bike carefully.

"Ya think?" Marie joked grinning widely.

"Scott should have opened his other presents first," Ororo laughed lightly. "It will be a while before they can pull themselves away."

"Aah, let the boys have their fun," Jean insisted before turning back to the house.

Marie and Ororo had barely moved to follow when footsteps on the deck behind them drew their attention. Surprisingly, all three were on their way back in, Scott leading the way.

'Ro stepped inside to get out of the way as Scott stopped in front of his sister, pulling her into a tight hug. "You are the best, Marie. I've wanted that for so long and could never quit justify it."

"Jus' don' get yaself killed an' we'll call it even," she retorted with a grin as she pulled back from him.

"Deal," Scott grinned, giving her a quick nod before moving into the house.

"Dat a nice bike, petite," Remy commented on his way inside.

Logan was nodding as he stopped in front of the door and gestured for Marie to enter first. "That's one helluva Christmas present, darlin'," he stated, meeting her warm brown gaze.

Smiling sweetly, Marie raised her eyebrows in a swift motion before stepping into the house.

Following her inside closely, Logan's lips curled into a small smile. It was indeed one hell of a present but then Marie was one hell of a woman.

Once everyone was inside, Scott finished opening the rest of his presents. First was the helmet from Ororo and Remy. The latter had thought Scott already had a motorcycle. Next was the leather jacket and gloves from Jean, the jacket not surprisingly identical to the one Marie had given Logan.

With a couple of soft puffs though his nose, Logan realized the reason behind Scott's reaction to the jacket. There was nothing left to question now, he knew what it all meant.

Finally Scott was down to the last gift of the day, the one from Logan. Taking the present in his hands, he turned it over a couple of times before shifting in his seat to face his long lost friend. "I don't know what's in this box, man, but just knowing that you're alive and having you here is more than I could have ever asked for," Scott told Logan, his voice trembling slightly with emotion.

Nodding in agreement, Logan averted his gaze briefly before looking back at Scott. "Believe me, I know what you mean, buddy."

A lopsided grin dominating his face, Scott quickly ripped the paper off the box and opened the lid. Immediately the resounding sound of his laughter filled the room as Scott pulled out a pair of goggle like sunglasses with reflective lenses. "Shit, these are just like the ones I used to wear," he chuckled loudly.

"I know," Logan returned, laughing as well. "I picked them up about a month ago, at same time I had that made," he continued lifting his chin toward the box still on Scott's lap.

Setting the sunglasses aside, his forehead furrowed in thought, Scott reached into the box again and froze as his fingers met cold metal. His eyes snapped back to Logan for a beat before falling shut as his hand wrapped around the object and pulled it out. Scott forced his eyes open again as he let the beaded chair slip from his fingers, a rectangular tag dangling from the end.

"I told you a long time ago that you'd get one," Logan said softly, "sorry it took me so long."

Scott let his eyes drift across the surface of the tag taking in each letter, C-Y-C-L-O-P-S. He couldn't believe that after all these years he finally received the tag that marked him as member of Logan's elite team of nicknamed commandos. Having been the youngest of the group, Scott had gotten his nickname, thanks to his sunglasses, but not his tag. Not until now anyway. Shaking his head he shifted his gaze to once again meet Logan's. "I don't know what to say, Logan."

"You don't gotta say anything, Scott," Logan assured him, understanding shining brightly in the older man's eyes.

With a nod, Scott turned to show Jean the tag.

"Cyclops," she read aloud to the rest of the group. "That's really cool, babe."

Feeling as though eyes were on him, Logan turned his head to find Marie staring at him, a slight smile curling the corners of her full lips. He couldn't remember ever feeling comfortable with anyone, especially a woman, looking at him, but with Marie it was different. For some reason having those chocolate brown orbs gazing at him made him feel alive and complete, two things he hadn't felt in years.



The group remained sequestered in the living room, chatting as friends do - telling wild and exaggerated stories for several hours before the ringing of the phone interrupted them.

With a perturbed expression, Marie answered, giving an irritated, "Hello?" Immediately her countenance and tone changed. "Yes, Charles, Merry Christmas t' ya too." Marie rose quietly from her seat and started across the room since her guests had all fallen silent out of courtesy and she didn't want to keep them from visiting since she had no idea how long the call would last.

Logan watched her leave the room, wondering just who the hell this Charles guy was and why Marie couldn't talk to him in front of the group.

Noticing Logan's questioning expression, Scott couldn't help but snicker softly at the obvious jealousy his friend was exuding. Scott was careful to wipe the smirk off his face before he spoke, explaining to Logan in particular but addressing the group in general so as not to embarrass the older man. "Charles Xavier is the man Marie works with on occasion. He runs an orphanage not far from here in addition to numerous other humanitarian efforts."

"Dat sound like perfec' work for de petite," Remy admitted quickly having seen first hand her generous nature.

"She is wonderful at it," Ororo agreed with a nod and a proud smile.

"It's what she loves to do," Jean stated frankly.



As it turned out, the phone call last nearly an hour and when she hung up the phone, Marie felt like it had been more like three. Shaking her head slowly she rose from the seat she'd taken in the den and headed back to the living room. Upon entering, she was surprised to find everyone gone - well, everyone except Logan.

"That was quite a phone conversation," Logan said as Marie entered the room. Despite knowing the circumstances surrounding the call, he couldn't keep the twinge of jealously from his tone. He was pleased that Marie didn't seem to notice.

"Charles jus' needed t' go over a few details fer the party he's throwin' on New Year's Eve," Marie informed him as she placed the phone back in it's cradle and resumed the seat she'd abandoned earlier. "Where'd ever'one go?"

"Ororo and Gumbo went for a drive to see the sights," he announced, his expression and the use of the nickname showing his opinion of Remy. "And Scott took Jean to try out the new bike," Logan concluded a bit wistfully.

Marie's soft laugh filled the room. "Gumbo, huh?"

Logan snickered. "Well it is the Cajun dish," he shrugged.

"I kinda like it," Marie giggled. "He does kinda ... overdo it, don't he?"

"Oui, chere," Logan returned mockingly, imitating the intermittent French accent the other man employed.

"Ah guess that was a bit of a understatement," Marie reasoned before joining Logan in a boisterous laugh. Her own chuckle dying done after a few minutes, Marie carefully examined Logan's face as he continued with a barking sort of laugh. She had to admit that she liked to see him so joyful, so full of passion and obviously having a good time. Marie had been so engrossed in watching him that she was almost caught staring again but managed to avert her gaze at the last minute when Logan turned to her. Keeping her eyes focused on a spot near the Christmas tree, Marie could feel Logan's eyes on her as hers had just been on him.

Logan was certain that he felt those dark chocolate eyes on him again and as he turned to face Marie, he caught just a glimpse of movement as she shifted her gaze toward the tree across the room. Against his better judgement, he let him eyes caress the contours of her face in profile, memorizing the curve of her cheek and jaw, the short, lightly sloping line of her nose and the round fullness of her lips. As before there was a sudden, unexplainable tightening in his chest and Logan had to look away as his lungs refused to function properly.

Looking at him from the corner of her eye when she felt his gaze free her, Marie turned back to face him. "So Scott's tryin' out the new bike, huh?"

"In more ways then one, I'm sure with Jeannie along," Logan returned softly with a sharp snort.

"Of that Ah'm sure," Marie agreed laughing. "Ah swear Ah never met a woman so obsessed with sex 'fore Ah met Jeannie. 'Course Scott loves ever' minute of it."

Nodding slowly, a distance look in his eyes, Logan concurred. "I'm sure he does..."

Sensing the downturn of Logan's mood, Marie quickly worked to change to subject. "So tell me 'bout ya, Logan?"

Shaking off the misery in which he was starting to sink, Logan shrugged his broad shoulders as he turned to face her again. "What do you wanna know?"

"Well," Marie began before a long pause, "ya said that ya was between jobs but the gifts ya bought weren't exactly cheap."

"Yeah, I said I was between jobs, I didn't say I was broke," Logan stated matter-of-factly. "To tell the truth I'm pretty well set for a while, I've managed to make some good money every now and then."

Marie's forehead wrinkled in confusion, "Then why d'ya live in shelters, Ah don' understand."

Again Logan shrugged. "They ain't that bad. I think I said I'm used to moving around a lot so it doesn't make sense to find an apartment that I'm just gonna leave empty and lose money on when I leave."

"Ah guess that makes sense," Marie nodding, following that line of reason it didn't seem so strange. "So tell me what ya do t' make this 'good' money an' maybe Ah know someone lookin' fer someone like you."

Pursing his lips tightly, Logan shook his head. "Don't think I'm gonna find that kind of work around here, Marie," he expressed his doubt without shedding any more light on the subject.

"Well come on," she began in a teasing tone as she reached over the smacked him lightly on the arm, "what's the big secret?"

Logan cocked his head to look at her and was once again taken in by the brown depths of her eyes. He was surprised to find that he wanted to tell her what he did for money. There was a part of him that hoped it would scare her away since how she was beginning to make him feel was scaring the shit out of him. The rest just wanted to tell her because he wanted her to know him, to know what and who he was because it liked how she was making him feel - almost alive again after years of being numb. "It ain't no big secret, darlin'," Logan insisted, the endearment falling from his lips before he could stop it.

Smiling shyly at the verbal caress, Marie looked at Logan from beneath long lashes. "Then what is it, sugah?" she asked softly, her accent thicker than usual.

Taking a deep breath as a stalling measure, Logan found he had to look away to tell her as sudden shame washed over him. "I make my money kicking the shit out of people in bars and fight clubs," he told her in a low, tight voice before shifting his gaze back to her expression.

Marie was silent for a moment, her visage clearly showing the working of her mind to wrap itself around that information. "Ya mean like boxin'?" she finally questioned, shifting her gaze to meet Logan's.

"Nothing so civilized," he returned abruptly with a quick shake of his head. Again Logan looked away as he explained further. "They stick two of us in the ring, or more appropriately cage, and whoever walks out is the winner."

Swallowing past the sudden lump in her throat Marie felt the threat of tears at the prospect of Logan fighting for money. "But why?" she asked softly. "Surely ya coulda found somethin' else."

Logan could hear the not so distance tears in Marie's voice and it effected him more than he was willing to admit. "That's what I am, Marie," he told her quietly, "a fighter, a soldier ... an animal. It's what I know and once I started it was just easier to do that than find something else."

"Ya ain't an animal, Logan," Marie defended suddenly and zealously. "Ya might be a fighter an' a soldier but ya ain't no animal."

"You've never seen me fight, Marie," Logan stated firmly, his jaw clenching as he stared into her eyes.

"Ah don' gotta see ya fight, Logan, Ah can see yer heart," she retorted tenderly.

Shaking his head, Logan looked away, his response barely above a whisper. "I lost my heart a long time ago, darlin', and I ain't never had a reason to try and find it again."

Moving her hand to rest atop his, her fingers wrapping around his tensed digits, Marie spoke just as quietly. "Ya ain't lost it, Logan, it's buried down deep but it's still there, Ah can see it."

The silky smooth texture of Marie's hand on his own rough one helped Logan relax more than he would have thought possible. Just the feel of her soft skin again his hand and the savage beast that reigned inside of him slid back down. This young woman that he'd known for a day had helped him gain more humanity with a single touch than he'd managed on his own in nearly four years of freedom. "Thank you," he returned softly as he cocked his gaze to meet hers and gently increased the pressure with which he held her hand.

Marie just smiled, squeezing his fingers once more before releasing his hand.

"Enough about me now," Logan insisted in a tone that left no room for argument, "I wanna hear about you."

Tilting her head to one side and shrugging her shoulder, Marie just looked at him. Her life was very simple, she didn't think there was all that much to tell. Finally she ticked off a few points that she thought might interest Logan. "Ah moved t' New York 'bout three years ago after mah mama died so's Ah could be closer t' Scott and Jeannie. Ah help Charles with the orphanage he runs an' Ah do a lot a fundraisers fer that." Not thinking of anything else of interest, Marie shrugged again. "That's 'bout it."

"Oh come on," Logan prodded, "there's gotta be more to your life than that. What about your free time ... hobbies ... boyfriend?" He couldn't keep himself from asking that last one no matter how hard he tried. Logan knew she was too young and innocent for someone like him but he wanted to know that she was unattached anyway.

"Ah dunno, don' really have any hobbies, Ah guess - nothin' Ah can think a right now anyway," Marie informed him with a thoughtful expression. "Ah jus' spend a lot a time with the kids at the orphanage, talkin', watchin' TV, goin' t' movies, stuff like that."

Logan just nodded as she fell silent, waiting for her to answer his last question. When it became obvious that she was not going to continue, he cocked an eyebrow at her questioningly.

"What?" Marie demanded with a smile at the expression on his face before she remembered his final query. "Oh, right ... boyfriend. Nope, ain't got one."

"Why not?" Logan wanted to know but was slightly shocked that he'd asked.

"Well," Marie began, her tone completely serious, "Ah ain't found no one who'd put up with me fer long enough t' get t' that point."

A sharp snort drew her attention to Logan, who was chuckling heartily at her comment.

"Ah ain't teasin', Logan," she insisted firmly, her voice level.

Brought up short by her tone, Logan stopped laughing and turned to face her. "What's there to put up with?" he practically demanded, a blinding rage building at the thought of anyone 'not putting up with her'.

Not wanting to burden him with her problems after what he'd been through, Marie simply forced a smile onto her face. "We awl got our little quirks, Logan," she reported by way of a response.

Logan could tell that there was more to it than that but he didn't want to press the issue since Marie was obviously reluctant to discuss it. He was about to open a different line of questioning when the roar of Scott's new motorcycle announced his and Jean's return, the slamming of two car doors bringing attention to Ororo and Remy's return as well.

Marie gave Logan a quick glance and a smile before moving to the door to meet the others.

He watched as she glided across the floor, the gentle sway of her hips drawing his attention down her back to focus there before continuing on to the curve of her ass. It didn't take him long to lift his gaze again but it had been long enough he realized as he met Jean's eyes, a knowing smile blanketing her features.



The rest of the day continued pretty much the same, with more conversation and stories, at least until after dinner. Following their final meal, they all gathered in the living room once more where they watched a couple of movies. One a 'total chick flick' the men all agreed, the other your typical 'tear it up' action picture.

Same as the night before, Ororo and Remy turned in early while the rest of the group watched them leave with grins and smirks - they weren't fooling anyone.

Jean and Scott followed their lead about an hour later. "Heading for bed but not to sleep," Jean said as she pulled Scott out into the hallway and closed the door.

Rolling her eyes yet grinning widely, Marie shook her head as she turned to Logan. "Ah wish Ah knew her secret!"

The loud bark of Logan's laughter sounded through the closed door and into the hallway. He wouldn't have known that except for the fact that the door opened immediately and Jean her stuck her head back inside, teasingly sticking her tongue out at him and Marie before shutting the door again.

Marie and Logan laughed good-naturedly for a long moment before they brought themselves under control. Several minutes of silence followed as each considered various topics of conversation. It was Marie who finally spoke, her tentative question filling the quiet room.

"Logan, d'ya mind if Ah ask 'bout what happened t' ya? Ya can say no," she added quickly once the first question was out.

The time he'd spent as a prisoner of war wasn't something Logan liked to talk about but Marie truly seemed interested and after all these years he thought it might be good to talk about it, at least a little. "What do you wanna know?" he asked, his voice gruff from the thoughts.

Suddenly feeling ashamed for having asked, Marie just shrugged. There were so many things she wanted to know of the man beside her that she didn't have any idea where to even begin.

Swallowing passed a very dry throat, Logan rasped out a reassurance. "It's all right, Marie, you can ask me anything," he told her, hoping with all his heart that she wouldn't ask anything he couldn't answer.

An image of Logan from the night before popped into Marie's head and she studied the visual for a beat. Seeing him without a shirt for the first time, standing outside the den where she'd been playing on the computer. The magnificent form of his chest and arms, perfect in every way save for the horrible scaring that marred his skin. Shifting her gaze from internal to external, Marie looked at Logan, glancing at his shirt covered upper body before meeting his eyes.

"Does it still hurt?" Marie asked weakly her eyes dropping again to his chest in the hopes he'd get what she was asking without having to say it.

Knowing exactly what she was getting at, Logan averted his gaze for a moment before locking onto hers. Slowly he shook his head, not trusting himself to respond verbally just yet. After a few deep breaths, Logan attempted an oral reply. "Only the memories," he stated in a low voice.

"The nightmares," Marie reasoned quietly.

Logan nodded as his eyes fell shut. He'd wished a million times for something that would keep the nightmares at bay. "They always kept me isolate from everyone else," he whispered in commentary, "guess they didn't want me waking anyone up."

The picture was starting to clear for Marie. "So that's why ya really stay at shelters, ain't it?" she asked softly. "So's ya ain't alone."

To anyone else it would have been impossible for Logan to admit his weakness but he felt more comfortable with Marie than anyone he'd ever met, even before his time in captivity. With his lips pressed into a thin line and his eyes carefully averted, Logan nodded again.

"Ah don't blame ya," Marie assured him, her tone full of sympathy but not pity as many others had shown. "So how come ya ain't got yaself a woman t' keep ya company?"

"Yeah right," Logan retorted with a bitter snort. "That ain't likely to happen any time soon."

"Don't sell yaself short, Logan," Marie insisted. "Ah'm sure there a lot a ladies out there that'd love t' find themselves with a guy like you."

Feeling as though the discussion was moving towards territory better left unexplored, Logan changed the direction quickly. Quirking his left eyebrow at Marie, his tone turned decidedly teasing. "Just who you callin' short, darlin'?"

A warm smile lit the contours of Marie's face at the jest as a soft giggle escaped her slightly parted lips. "Not you, sugah."

'Well that's good to know," Logan chuckled. "I don't wanna have to do to you what I did to the last person who called me short."

"An' jus' what was that?" she asked, her smile widening.

Logan let a small grin spread across his face as he leaned into the space separating the two of them. "I'd tell you but it ain't appropriate for mixed company," he said with a wink.

Over the next several hours, Logan and Marie continued to talk and tease each other, enjoying the other's company more and more every second. It wasn't until the grandfather clock started to chime the hour of 11 o'clock that they realized how late it was.

"Well," Logan sighed over the loud clanging, "I guess it's getting on toward that time."

Mare nodded slowly, her expression and tone full of disappointment. "Ah guess it is."

A moment of silence of passed between them before they both rose from their seats and started toward the door to the hallway. Logan gestured Marie through first, following her closely, surprised when she paused outside his bedroom door.

"Ya know, Ah almost f'got," she said suddenly, "Ah have somethin' else that Ah wan' ya t' have."

"Marie, you've given me more than enough already," Logan started to protest.

Rolling her eyes at him, Marie moved forward and opened the door to his room. "Ah didn't give ya that much an' this ain't nothin' special, jus' somethin' that might help ya sleep a little better."

Logan wasn't sure what to think as Marie moved into the room and flipped on the light. Realizing that he wasn't going to find out standing there in the hallway, he followed her inside and closed the door behind him.

Marie was digging in the closet across the room, her rear end sticking out provocatively as she searched. Logan did his best not to stare but it was next to impossible considering the view and the fact that he was, after all, a man.

"Here it is," she cried excitedly as she pulled out a sealed plastic package and handed it to him. "Sometimes listenin' t' music helps me get t' sleep."

Taking the offered item, Logan studied the portable CD player she'd given to him.

"There're CDs all over the place so if ya see somethin' that ya think ya might wanna listen t', go ahead an' take it," she offered cordially.

He had actually tried music over the years but it wasn't the same as having a real person close by. Still, she was trying to help and Logan didn't want to hurt her feelings by denying the gift. "Thank you, I'll give it a try sometime."

The smile Marie bestowed on him at that moment was more brilliant than the brightest star Logan had ever seen. "Well, Ah hope that it helps, Logan," she said, turning toward the door. "Ah'll see you in the morning."

Watching as she walked away, Logan suddenly realized that what he really wanted was for her to stay. "Marie," he called quickly, stopping her at the door. He waited until she turned around and met his gaze with those incredible, soft brown eyes of hers before he thought about what he was doing. Licking his lips and swallowing past a suddenly dry throat, he started to reconsider his would be request. Quickly he averted his eyes, shaking his head as he sat down on the edge of the bed. "Nothing," he snorted, "never mind."

From her position just inside the door of his bedroom, Marie could see his hesitation shift to denial and she wasn't about to have any part of that. Whatever it was that Logan was going to ask had been very important to him and obviously very difficult. Hoping to make it easier, Marie strode to the side of the bed and sat down beside him. "What is it, Logan?"

With a soft sigh, Logan's eyes fell shut and he inhaled the tangy, sweet scent that he identified as Marie. Just having her sitting there, so close, was more comforting than anything he'd found in five years of searching. He'd never felt more complete or at ease with anyone he'd ever met.

"Lemme help ya, Logan," she pleaded with an expression filled with concern and something else ... something he didn't quite place. "Please?"

Meeting her gaze once again, Logan set himself to the task. "I was just..." he paused, expelling a heavy sigh. "I was wondering if... Shit, I feel like a fucking pansy," he muttered in a growling fashion. "Damn ... Marie, I was just hoping that maybe you'd stay with me for a little while ... like maybe until I fall asleep?"

Marie's eyes widened in surprise at the request but she nodded an affirmative quickly. "If ya wan' me t'."

Logan shifted his eyes around the room afraid to look at her for fear that he'd see nothing but pity staring back at him. He was not only wrong but he was totally unprepared for the opened concern and caring in those chocolate-drown depths. "I'd appreciate it," he said tightly.

A sweet, lopsided smile played across Marie's face. "Then Ah will," she informed him in a softened tone. "D'ya mind if Ah go an' change first?"

So relieved by the prospect that she'd agreed to stay, Logan found himself unable to respond verbally, so instead he just shook his head.

"Ah'll jus' be a couple a minutes," Marie assured him rising from the bed with a pat on his solid shoulder. "Why don' ya get ready fer bed yaself an' Ah'll be right back."

"Okay," Logan responded around an extremely dry throat.

From the doorway Marie winked before leaving him alone in his room. Releasing a heavy, long-suffering sigh, Logan dropped his head into his hands and closed his eyes. He was relieved that she'd agreed to stay yet at the same time he was scared to death of the new emotions the young woman evoked in him - feelings that he thought were long dead and beyond resurrection.

Logan cursed himself for what he perceived as weakness for even asking Marie to stay. He knew that it wasn't right, that he should just stay away from her but he couldn't. In less than 48 hours the girl had broken down defenses he'd erected what seemed like a lifetime ago.

Growling lightly, he rose from the bed and quickly stripped out of his clothes before pulling on a pair of loose fitting sweat pants. He had barely gotten them on when a soft knock on the door announced Marie's return. "Yeah," he called quietly, turning to face the door.

Slowly twisting the knob, Marie opened the door a crack and peeked in. "Are ya decent?"

"That's a matter of opinion, darlin'," Logan insisted around a fit of loud, uproarious laughter.

Marie entered the room giggling softly, shaking her head as she gave him a fond smiled. Pausing to close the door behind her, she shut off the bright overhead light before swiveling around and starting across the room.

Logan watched her for a moment as she moved toward him, taking in her choice of attire. He had to admit that he was a little disappointed by the thick, high collared robe, which covered her from neck to toe, not that he was after anything. Hell a man could look even if he knew he couldn't touch and Marie was still Scott's kid sister after all so touching was definitely out of the question.

Finally, by way of distraction, Logan turned his back and climbed into bed. Pulling the covers up just past his waist and leaving his chest bare, he settled back onto the mattress, his eyes once again tracking Marie as she headed around the bed.

"D'ya mind if Ah lay down too?" she asked timidly. "Mah back's kinda tired after spendin' two days in the kitchen."

Sitting up quickly, Logan's forehead furrowed with concern. "Are you all right?" he demanded in a harsh tone.

The abrupt movement brought her to a stop at the foot of the bed. Smiling at his obvious regard for her well being, Marie nodded. "Ah'm fine, really. Mah back jus' gets tired stoopin' over the sink an' stove is awl."

"Maybe you'd rather just go back to your own room and gets some sleep," Logan suggested. "I'll be okay. Why don't you do that?"

Marie shook her head sharply, quickly dismissing the idea as she continued around the bed. "Ah wouldn't sleep anyhow and Ah can lay here jus' a good as in mah bed ... if ya don't mind that is."

Logan studied her face for a beat, her eyes shining with honesty. "I don't mind if you're sure."

"Ah am," she assured him reaching the far side of the bed. Marie paused there for only a moment before peeling off her robe to uncover a revealing pale yellow nightgown. The hem hit about mid-thigh showing an almost unreasonable amount of shapely legs, while the thin straps accentuated the femininely defined musculature in her arms. Twisting at the waist, Marie reached around to turn off the bedside lamp.

His eyes already wide with appreciation, Logan had to stifle a gasp as he caught sight of the back, or lack thereof, of the nightgown she was wearing. The garment dipped sharply into a 'V' which extended nearly to her waist leaving a lot of pale skin bare. He was quickly allayed however, by the extinguishing of the light. A second later though Logan's breath caught and his entire body tightened as Marie lifted the edge of the blanket and slid underneath next to him.

Exhausted from the previous two days, Marie lowered herself to the mattress with a heavy sigh. Another satisfied breath escaped her nose before she shifted her head to look at Logan in the darkness. "Did ya wanna talk, or jus' lay here quiet?"

Logan considered the question for a moment before something Marie had said a minute ago flashed through his mind again. "When I asked you if you just wanted to go to your own room and go to sleep, you said that you wouldn't sleep anyway. What did you mean by that?"

Marie shrugged her left shoulder and averted her gaze. "Ah jus' have a problem sleepin's awl. Have had fer years. It's jus' insomnia."

Her response sounded too practiced, too perfect but he didn't call her on it despite the fact that he knew there was more to it than that. Rather than responding verbally to her comment, he simply nodded knowingly.

"Ah guess ya have a hard time gettin' t' sleep cause a the nightmares, huh?" she asked softly having seen and felt first hand how powerful and violent they could be.

Slowly, Logan nodded as his guilt over the attack on Marie the night before redoubling. "Yeah, makes it hard not only to get to sleep but to stay that way," he admitted in a low, uncomfortable voice. Logan paused briefly, then slowly shifted his gaze to meet Marie's. "I'm really sorry again about last night," he apologized once more in a soft whisper.

"Ya don't gotta keep apologizin', Logan, Ah'm fine," Marie insisted. "Ah shoulda known better than t' try an' wake ya up, Ah jus' couldn't leave ya like that."

Logan closed his eyes and shifted into a more comfortable position on the bed. "Thank you, Marie," he murmured quietly as he inhaled a deep breath and released it slowly.

Settling somewhat herself, Marie smiled into the darkness as she closed her eyes as well. "Any time, sugah," she returned in a gentle whisper.

Within minutes they both fell into a sound, restful sleep. Moments after that, they unconsciously moved together, curling against one another intimately. Over the next couple of hours, they continued to shift together until Marie was pressed tightly to Logan's side, his arms wrapped around her as her head resting lightly on his chest along with her left hand.

That was the position Marie found herself in when she woke several hours later thanks to the urgent need to use the bathroom. As she opened her eyes, she was surprised to find she was still in Logan's room and even more so that she was actually sleeping next to him. Closing her eyes and fighting the pressure of her bladder, she sighed softly at the feel of his arms holding her tightly against him. Somehow it felt so right being there, like that, with him.

Marie didn't know for sure how long she'd been asleep and had no idea how long Logan had been but she did know that nightmares hadn't woken either of them and that was a feat in itself. Finally unable to deny relief to her body, Marie carefully maneuvered herself from Logan's arms and rose from the bed. Dancing lightly with the need to pee, she turned back to look at Logan once more, marveling at the handsome peacefulness of his expression. Reluctantly she made her way across the room then down the hallway to her bathroom.

As she entered, Marie glanced at the clock and took note of the time. She stared at the display in disbelief as she went about her business, shocked by just how long she had been asleep.

Finishing up in the bathroom, Marie considered the feat she'd just accomplished - sleeping a whole five hours in one stretch. She couldn't remember the last time she managed that much sleep for an entire night much less at one time. Staring at her somewhat more rested looking reflection in the mirror, she contemplated her options.

Marie hadn't forgotten what had happened the last time she'd gone into Logan's room, that to wake him from a nightmare. She didn't even need to see the finger-shaped bruises still visible on her neck to remember it either.

Moving from the bathroom, still undecided on what to do, Marie walked back across the hall and stuck her head in the opened door of Logan's room. Now, like the night before he was jerking and moaning, mumbling unintelligible words as he was once again wrapped in a horrible nightmare.

Making her way cautiously back around the bed, she was careful to keep her distance. Marie was about to call to him when he began to still. She watched his face in the dim light from the window and she noticed his nostrils flaring lightly as he inhaled a series of sharp, short breaths. It was like he was sniffing the air and somehow recognized her scent because his left arm shifted suddenly in the empty spot on the bed as though searching for something.

Her mind made, for better or worse, Marie eased back down to the bed, doing her best not to disturb Logan's arm. That proved to be impossible as he moved it just as she laid back. Marie held her breath, waiting as his arm tightened around her waist. Slowly Logan pulled her closer until she was back in her earlier position, her head resting lightly on his chest. After a moment she relaxed into him and once again closed her eyes.

Marie laid there for half an hour trying to get back to sleep. This time, however, when sleep alluded her it wasn't due to the same old reason. This time, she was distracted by the slow rise and fall of the muscular chest beneath her head, by the steady heartbeat under her ear, and by the light tickle of soft hair below her hand.

Finally she rolled to her back then onto her left side. Immediately, Logan's arm curled around her as he rolled too, spooning her body with his own. Within a very short amount of time, Marie managed to slip back to sleep, even with Logan gently nuzzling her neck, the consistent rush of air from his nostrils warming her skin.

At dawn it was Logan who woke to the tender, intimate scenario of Marie sleeping peacefully in his arms. Somehow he knew it was her even before he opened his eyes. The smell of kiwi and strawberries teasingly assaulted his senses as he inhaled her shampoo.

Opening his eyes, Logan shifted his head, his nose dragging her hair away from her neck where the scent of honeysuckle mingled with the other light, pleasant aromas. Letting his eyes drift shut again, Logan continued to inhale long, deep breaths allowing him to take in the sweet smells of the woman in his arms. He indulged in that for a few more minutes before he opened his eyes again and focused on his position relative to Marie's.

Logan was, like Marie, lying on his left side, his chest pressed firmly to her back, his knees bent up behind hers. His left arm was pinned beneath her, bent up at the elbow and curled around her ribs, his thumb and index finger gently cupped around the bottom curve of her right breast. His right arm rested at her waist, with his wrist turned so his hand settled on her bare thigh where her nightgown had shifted up in the night.

Reveling in the unfamiliar feel of a woman in his arms, Logan let himself enjoy it for a short beat before carefully, and ever so slowly, shifting his hands. As he gently pulled down the hem of Marie's nightgown to cover the spot where his hand had been, she sighed contentedly and Logan froze.

Marie shifted slightly, stretching, baring more of the pale skin on her neck that was discolored by dark bruises. Bruises that he had put there not all that long ago when she tried to wake him from one of his numerous horrific, recurring nightmares.

Suddenly overcome with a sense of guilt and the powerful mental kick that it was wrong for him to be with Marie like that, Logan released a shaky breath and slowly pulled his arm from beneath her. He was almost free when she rolled onto her back, her eyes springing open without warning. A stab of pain ripped through Logan's heart at the flash of fear in the young woman's eyes.

Sitting upright quickly, Marie took a couple of deep, calming breaths before turning to face Logan. She couldn't believe that she hadn't woken before this and instead, let Logan find her still in his bed. "Ah'm sorry, Logan, Ah musta fell asleep," she told him, conveniently concealing the fact that she'd not only fallen asleep once, but twice.

"That's okay, darlin'," Logan said softly. "I'm glad you managed some sleep. I'm sorry if I scared you."

"Scared me?" Marie repeated questioningly.

Logan took a moment to prepare before meeting her gaze. "When you woke up you looked a little frightened," he informed her, remorse heavy in his tone.

Seeing how personal he was taking it, Marie wanted to quickly refute it. Raising her arm slowly, she placed her hand tentatively on his shoulder. "Ya didn't scare me, Logan, Ah's jus' a little disoriented for a moment," she stated, a small smile spreading across her face. "Ah ain't exactly used t' wakin' up with a handsome man beside me," she concluded with a flirtatious wink.

Searching her face and eyes, Logan found nothing to make him think she was lying to him. Slowly he let his eyes drift down her face until he focused completely on her full lips.

Likewise, Marie's eyes slid down the heavy five o'clock shadow to his mouth as she pulled her bottom lip between her teeth and chewed lightly. Each was so engrossed staring at the other's mouth that neither realized what the other was looking at. After a brief moment, their eyes met once again and Marie smiled shyly before turning away. "Ah guess Ah should get outta here an' get a shower so's Ah can get some breakfast started for the hungry masses," she said softly as she rose from the bed and reached for her robe. "Ah'll see ya in a little while."

"Yeah," Logan responded tightly, trying not to stare as she covered herself with her robe. Clearing his throat, he continued, "See you soon."

"Ah won't be in the bathroom long, ya wan' me t' knock when Ah'm done so's ya can shower?" Marie asked from in front of the door, looking back over her shoulder at him.

"That's all right, darlin', I think I'll take a short walk and have a smoke first," Logan informed her.

"'Kay," she returned with a smile before turning back to the door and leaving.



Despite the fact that Marie had actually slept in by her usual standards, she was still showered and ready for the day before the others were up. She was laying out the different options available for the simple breakfast she'd planned, consisting of fresh fruit and a variety of bagels with several assorted spreads. Marie, her task nearly completed, was smiling broadly, humming a few of her favorite songs.

As she made her way to the kitchen, Jean heard the cheery sound, bringing her up short in the doorway. She stood there for a moment, her head tilted thoughtfully as she watched her sister-in-law dancing around at the counter. It had been a very long time since Jean had seen Marie so cheerful in the morning, thanks to the fact that she rarely managed more than a couple of restless hours of sleep. This morning though, Marie was exuberant and animated and it made Jean happy but curious.

"Someone's in an awfully good mood this morning," Jean commented jovial interest, a smile lighting her face.

Startled by the unexpected voice, Marie spun around quickly, the melody she'd been humming falling off. "Jesus, Jean," she exclaimed with a nervous chuckle, "ya scared me t' death. Ah didn't hear ya come in."

Jean nodded, laughing loudly at the rare treat of catching the younger woman off guard. "So I noticed," she teased lightly before her expression sobered somewhat and her tone became more even. "It's so good to see you so happy first thing in the morning, not to mention looking so well rested," Jean added, noticing that much of the weariness, which usually wore on her, had eased, including a lightening of the usually dark circles under her eyes.

Marie blushed a little as she dropped her gaze to the floor but the smile never left her face. "Ah jus' had a great, wonderfully restful night," she stated softly, her eyes locked on the tops of her slippers.

Her eyes narrowing suspiciously, Jean studied Marie's countenance and posture. It was obvious that she had indeed enjoyed a significantly improved night's sleep but there was more to it then that Jean was certain. "Mmm hmm," she responded with a nod and a questioning smile. "And what, may I ask, precipitated that?"

Finally shifting her eyes from their comfort zone on the floor, Marie looked past Jean, scanning the hallway behind her before meeting the other woman's quizzical gaze. Satisfied that they were alone, Marie motioned Jean closer, the blush on her cheeks brightening as her smile broadened.

There was no longer a doubt in Jean's mind that something noteworthy had happened and she lifted her brows questioningly, her own grin growing proportionally. "This is good, isn't it?" she insisted in a harsh whisper, her tone decidedly filled with excitement.

Biting gently her lower lip, Marie meet Jean's gaze, raised her eyebrows and nodded, a soft giggle escaping the slight opening of her mouth.

"Well spill it, girl," Jean demanded, her eyes widening with anticipation.

Bowing her head a little toward the older woman, Marie spoke softly. "Last night after y'all went t' bed, Logan and I were up talkin', ya know?"

"Yeah," Jean interrupted animatedly, her right leg bouncing with nervous energy.

"Well ... we were on our way t' bed when Ah remembered there was somethin' else that Ah wanted t' give t' him," Marie stated quietly. "Anyway, Ah was 'bout t' head t' mah own room when he stopped me."

By now, Marie was getting so into her story that she failed to notice Scott's appearance in the doorway behind them. He paused, smiling at the closeness of the two most important women in his life. He was just about to join them when he heard Marie's next whispered comment.

"Jean, he asked t' stay with 'im 'til he fell asleep."

"Oh my God," Jean squealed delightedly as she leaned closer. "So what happened?"

"Well, mah back was kinda tired from all the cookin' an' stuff so Ah asked 'im if Ah could lay down too," she told her.

His mind racing with what he'd just heard, Scott stepped back from full view of the doorway, pressing his body close to the wall as he strained to hear more.

"Oh," Jean sighed, "Marie that was good."

"Ah wasn't tryin' to pull nothin'," Marie retorted innocently, "mah back really was tired. Anyway, he said it 'as okay with him so Ah laid down and before Ah knew it, Ah woke up five hours later in 'is arms."

Jean screeched elatedly. "That is so wonderful," she celebrated, throwing her arms around the younger woman and hugging her tightly.

"What's more amazin' is that after Ah went t' the bathroom, which is why Ah woke up," Marie continued, "Ah went back in an' slep' fer a couple more hours. Ah never felt that safe 'fore, Jeannie, not since..."

"I know," Jean assured her in a soft, sympathetic voice. "I'm so happy for you, honey."

Marie shrugged her shoulders slightly, her expression faltering a bit. "It was jus' one night, Jean, it ain't like it means nothin'," she stated firmly before added in a whisper, "even if Ah wish it did."

Having heard all he needed to know, Scott retreated down the hallway to give the women some real privacy and to consider the possibilities of the situation.

"Oh, sweetie," Jean returned soothingly, once again wrapping her arms around Marie. "What happened when you both woke up this morning? Do you think Logan was upset that you were still there?"

Replaying the events in her mind, Marie slowly shook her head. "No, he didn't seem at awl upset that Ah's there."

Jean's smile turned suddenly knowing. "I think it means a lot more than you might imagine."

Her brows furrowing in confusion, Marie tilted her head questioningly. "Wha' d'ya mean?"

"You remember yesterday morning when we all come in to help you with the dishes and getting breakfast ready?" Jean asked softly.

"Yeah," Marie returned with a nod, an astounded smile lighting her features, "surprised the hell outta me, if ya'll recall."

A thoughtful expression spread across Jean's visage as she shook her head diminutively from side to side. "I figured something was up then," she muttered mostly to herself, then at Marie's curious countenance, she explained. "We were all in the living room when Logan came in looking for all the world like that wild Wolverine that Scott was teasing him about being. Anyway, he basically read us the riot act for sitting around while you did all the work, isolated and alone..." Jean's voice faded off as a flash of guilt tore through her once again. With a saddened cast to her eyes, she met the younger woman's gaze. "I'm really sorry about that, Marie, we really were being very rude and totally unfair. The worst of it is that if it hadn't been for Logan's harsh admonishment, we would have just let things continue as they were."

Marie could hardly believe her ears. She had no idea that Logan had defended her like that although it sounded like something he'd do. "He really did that?" she asked emotionally, fighting the threat of tears for some unknown reason.

Jean smiled that knowing smile again then simply bobbed her head in agreement.

An intensity of feelings, the likes of which Marie had never experienced before, swept through her like a raging wildfire. Her slight frame trembled with emotions she'd given up on ever feeling.

Knowing exactly what the younger woman was going through, Jean placed a gentle hand on her cheek to draw her attention then offered her an encouraging smile before leaving her to the torrential thoughts swirling in her mind.



By the time the others made their way to the kitchen for breakfast, Marie was no closer to sorting things out in her head but she was more anxious then ever to talk to Logan. After fifteen minutes of mind numbing conversation and teasing from the group, she was ready for some more quiet time to think. The fact that Logan hadn't made an appearance yet was starting to make Marie a little nervous. Maybe he hadn't been as comfortable waking up with her in his bed as she'd thought.

Having watched her since returning to the kitchen, Scott couldn't help but wonder what Marie was thinking so hard about. He figured it had something to do with Logan and his absence didn't change that in the least. Scott was concerned for both of them but not in the way that most would have thought. Knowing what Marie had gone through and having an idea regarding the demons that haunted Logan, he felt the two were a pretty good match, even considering the difference in their ages. Logan was after all, several years older than Scott was, while Marie was several years younger. The difference was that she had acquired maturity beyond her years long ago. What mattered was that they were two of the most important people to him and he wanted them both to be happy.

With a slight scowl, Scott shifted his gaze from the distracted look on Marie's face to the untouched bagel on the plate in front of her. "Hey," he breathed softly, leaning into Marie's side and whispering in a low voice, "are you all right? You're awfully quiet this morning."

Marie pivoted in her seat to face him, forcing a smile on her lips. "Ah'm fine," she stated, hoping she sounded more convincing to him then her words sounded to her own ears.

"We aren't wearing you out again, are we?" Scott asked alluding to Logan's berating speech concerning her treatment. He figured, considering the part of Jean and Marie's conversation that he'd heard, that his wife had told her all about that. Judging by her swift change in expression, Scott's suspicion was confirmed.

"Ah jus' got a lot on mah mind," Marie insisted attempting to cover her slip. An urgent need to escape hastily swarmed through her and Marie turned her attention to the group in general, raising her voice as she addressed them. "Ah hope y'all don' mind but Ah'm gonna go take a short walk," she informed them, rising from her chair as she spoke. "Ah won't be long."

Curious glances were exchanged around the table but no one voiced any objections, just watched as Marie pulled on her coat and made her way outside.

Wrapping her coat more tightly around her against the frigid wind, Marie started toward the orchard to the west of the house, heading for the forest, which was just beyond that. She'd hoped to find Logan there but after twenty minutes of searching, she gave up and headed back toward the house.

Marie ended her journey closer to the barn east of the house, having wound her way through the dense growth of trees. Moving into the open again, she was about to head back inside when a pounding drew her attention to the barn. Changing direction in mid-stride, Marie followed the sound, which pulled her toward the far corner of the barn where she discovered Logan, a hammer in one hand, pounding nails into a 2x6.

"Hey," she called by way of greeting when she was certain that she wouldn't startle him into hammering his thumb or something.

Spinning sharply, Logan quickly relaxed upon seeing Marie, a small smile gracing his lips as his left eyebrow swept up in a high arch onto his forehead. "Hey," he returned in a light and playful tone.

Her own smile growing, Marie moved forward, stopping very close to Logan's side. "What're ya doin'?"

Nodding his head over his shoulder at the board behind him, he responded. "I was just walking through when I noticed a couple of boards were loose here," he explained.

"Bandit," Marie replied with a nod.

Logan's forehead wrinkled in confusion.

"Mah horse, Bandit," she started again. "He likes t' lean against the boards and they don' always hold up so good."

"You should nail the boards on the inside, then it wouldn't be an issue," Logan suggested. "I could do that for you if you want?"

Smiling sweetly, Marie nodded. "That'd be great, thanks."

With a nod, Logan turned back to the board that he'd just finished nailing and started to pull it loose.

"Ya don't gotta do it right now," Marie laughed lightly. "Bandit ain't even here, a friend a mine's borrowing him fer a while since Ah almost never get t' ride no more."

"I don't mind," Logan responded with a glance over his shoulder as he continued. A hand on his arm finally stopped him and he turned once again to face her.

Marie did her best to stay focused on his eyes but it was hard. "Ya should at least come an' have some breakfast first. Ah mean, ya are here t' relax, not work."

"Nothin' wrong with doing a little of both, darlin'," Logan told her, his eyes carefully caressing the gentle curves of her face. As before he felt his heart skip a beat and his breathing turn ragged as he looked on her. He was trying not to stare and not doing a very good job about it when he noticed her drop her gaze, her expression faltering. Logan swallowed past a suddenly constricted throat, his voice harsh to his own ears when he spoke again. "Is something wrong, Marie?"

Her eyes settling on her hands as she fiddled with her gloves, Marie shook her head negatively. Taking a deep breath, she released it in one long, shaky exhale before responding in a small, low voice. "Nothin's wrong, Logan, Ah jus' thought maybe we oughta talk..."

Logan's chest tightened painfully at the uncertainty in her tone. With his heart slamming erratically against his ribcage, Logan set the hammer aside and crossed his arms over his chest, hiding his shaking hands under his arms. "You have something specific in mind?" he asked weakly.

"A couple a thin's actually," Marie returned quietly, glancing up to meet his gaze as she dragged her bottom lip into her mouth.

"Go ahead, darlin'," Logan prompted nervously, his voice trembling ever so slightly.

Steeling herself to the task ahead, wanting ... needing to find answers to the questions muddling her mind and filling her heart, Marie took a fortifying breath and forced herself to meet his gaze. "Ah guess Ah wanna make sure that ya're awl right with how thin's happened last night an' this mornin'."

"Are you all right with it, Marie?" Logan turned the question back around on her.

"Ah'm fine with it, Logan," she assured him with swift honesty. "Ah jus' wanna make sure that ya don' feel funny 'bout it or anythin'."

"I don't," he responded in a soft whisper. Logan locked eyes with her for a beat before looking away, his voice becoming stronger as he did so. "How could I? I've never had a better night's sleep."

Blinking in surprise, the threat of tears once more holding her hostage, Marie could only stare, wide-eyed at the man before her. As their eyes met again, it didn't take much to convince her to hold true, seeing the saddened, almost terrified cast in his eyes. "Neither've Ah," she informed him weakly, her voice trembling along with the rest of her.

Logan let his eyes fall closed as relief washed over him, relief that he hadn't fucked up like he'd thought, relief that Marie had somehow needed him just as he'd needed her. It was beyond his belief as to how that could be true but he knew that she wasn't lying to him. When Logan opened his eyes again, the first thing he saw was the gentle smile gracing those incredible, full lips. He couldn't help but grin in return as he caught sight of the relief present in her eyes. Logan's grin faltered somewhat remembering Marie's earlier comment as he prompted her along those lines. "You said there was a couple of things you wanted to talk about."

Marie's head bobbed slowly in agreement, her simple smile transforming into a lop-sided grin. "Ah jus' wanted t' thank ya fer what ya said t' the others yesterday mornin'. Jean tol' me what ya did an' ... well Ah wanna thank ya. Ah've had a lot a different people stayin' here over the last couple a years an' no one has ever stood up fer me like that."

Shrugging nonchalantly, Logan finally let his arms fall back to his sides casually. "I just did what was right," he insisted, he didn't feel that he needed any thanks or recognition for what he'd done.

Moving forward slowly, Marie gave him a shy smile. "Well thank ya," she said softly inches from his ear as she wrapped her arms around his neck and pulled him into a tight embrace. Marie closed her eyes and inhaled deeply as she turned her face into his neck, smelling the stimulating, wholly masculine scent that was Logan.

Momentarily stunned by the unexpected hug, it took Logan a couple of beats to react. Finally he brought his arms up and cradled Marie against his torso. Dropping his head onto her shoulder, the heady scent of her shampoo and perfume once again assaulted his sensitive senses. Logan's breath caught as Marie shifted against him, the softness of her breasts dragging across the hardness of his chest.

They stayed pressed together for what seemed an eternity yet wasn't nearly long enough. Slowly they pulled back from each other, their eyes meeting immediately before shifting to take in the other's features.

"God, you're beautiful," Logan whispered softly, the words leaving his mouth before he knew what he was saying, his breath bathing Marie's face with warmth.

Before either of them had time to think, they had closed the distance between them, their lips meeting as their bodies had a moment before. The kiss was soft and gentle and like the embrace lingered passed that of a friendly gesture. In fact, it was beginning to grow in intensity when Logan pulled away suddenly and stepped back.

"I'm sorry," he apologized quickly, mentally cursing himself for losing control. "I shouldn't have done that." Swallowing hard, Logan turned abruptly and set a quick pace toward the door.

"Logan," Marie called after him as she started to follow but he either didn't hear her or didn't stop, she wasn't sure which. "Dammit," she swore, angry with herself for obviously pushing him too far.

"Let me talk to him."

Marie spun around sharply at the sudden, unexpected voice only a few feet away, surprised to find Scott moving from the concealing shadows. "Are ya tryin' t' scare me t' death?"

Moving to her side, Scott stopped, raising his hands to rest on her shoulders. "I'm not trying to kill you, Marie, Logan needs you." With that, Scott took up the path Logan had forged to the house leaving his sister staring after him in shock.



Scott knocked on Logan's door but didn't wait for a response before pushing the door open. He paused, open-mouthed, his forehead wrinkling in confusion as he noticed the other man hastily and roughly jamming his clothes into a faded, old, army issue duffel bag. "What are you doing?"

Logan eyes snapped up quickly startled by the question and the unexpected voice in general. He'd been so engrossed in his work, and the mental beating he was giving himself, that he hadn't even heard the knock, much less the door opening. He met Scott's questioning gaze for a short beat before dropping his eyes back to the bed where his task lay. "I think it's time for me to go," he said gruffly.

Raising a brow in contemplation, Scott moved more fully into the room and shut the door. Slowly crossing his arms over his chest, he leaned back against the thick wood behind him. "Why?"

The angry scowl on Logan's face increased, distorting his handsome features to a frightening degree. He hated what he had to do but he was not about to lie to Scott even though he knew it would irrevocably damage their friendship. Taking a deep breath, Logan released it slowly before he responded in a barely audible whisper, his tone a mixture of guilt and sorrow, "Marie."

"What about her?" Scott asked, knowing fully well what the deal was, he just wanted to let Logan control the conversation.

Logan averted his eyes, his jaw twitching wildly with angry tension. "I kissed her," he admitted softly.

Slowly a smile began to develop as Scott spoke but he was careful to keep his voice level. "So you kissed Marie?"

A low growl issued from Logan, his expression full of guilt and he was obviously upset with himself. "I know, man, I'm sorry. Helluva way to repay a friend for taking me in for the holidays, making a move on his kid sister."

Chewing lightly on the inside of his cheek, Scott slowly bobbed his head up and down a couple of times before shifting his arms so he could rest his chin in his hand. "Do you think this kiss upset Marie?" he questioned, raising his brow.

Logan's level of comfort clearly plummeted but he answered honestly despite his unease. "No," he shook his head slowly, "but that's not the point, Scott."

Scott nodded, his face lighting with another smile. "I think that is the point, Logan, and I think it's great. Don't leave because you and Marie both enjoyed a kiss."

The guilt in his expression doubling, Logan shook his head harder and looked away in shame. "I'm leaving because that's not all I want to do, Scott."

His smile transforming into a smirk, Scott just shrugged his shoulders as he let his arms fall back to his sides. "I don't see your problem."

"Why are you being so calm about this?" Logan demanded nervously. "Say something - yell, shout, hit me, I won't fight back!"

Scott snorted loudly. "I already said all I have to say on the subject, buddy."

"You haven't said shit, Scott."

"I did," he insisted with a laugh.

Logan shook his head sharply, an incredulous look on his features. "How can you think this is good? I'm too damned old for her and I've seen and done way too much shit."

Finally moving further into the room, Scott pulled the bag, still clenched tightly in Logan's hands, free and put it aside before sitting down on the bed and gesturing for Logan to do the same.

"Marie spent the night in here last night, Scott," Logan blurted out suddenly, his voice tight with emotion. "Nothing happened but..."

"But?" Scott prompted when he didn't continue.

"Damn, Scott, it just felt so right waking up with my arms wrapped around her," Logan stated unabashedly. "I can't even remember the last time I managed more than a coupe of hours of uninterrupted, actually restful sleep."

Scott considered that for a moment as he tried to determine how to respond. Satisfied with his choice, at least somewhat, he released a heavy sigh. "Logan, I don't know what Marie did or didn't tell you but I'll tell you that she hasn't enjoyed a full night's sleep for a long time either."

"Why?" Logan wanted to know, a concerned scowl souring his face.

"That's something Marie is going to have to tell you, buddy," Scott stated by way of a response.

Logan clearly was unsatisfied with that answer but didn't challenge Scott for more information. "How can something feel so right in your heart even as you know it's wrong in your head?"

Fighting to keep a straight face, Scott clapped him on the shoulder. "It's like I've been trying telling you all along, Logan. There's something wrong with your head," he said with a loud chuckle.

With a humorless snort, Logan nodded. "Thanks, Scooter."

"Listen, Logan," Scott began suddenly serious, "first of all, Marie is an adult and she's far more mature than she may look. She's more than capable of making her own decisions and I trust her judgement. Secondly, I trust you. I know you remember?"

"You don't know me anymore, Scott," Logan protested bitterly. "You don't know what I've done, what I'm capable of doing. If you did you wouldn't want me anywhere near you, much less your wife or sister."

"I do know you, Logan. You're still the same man who saved my life by taking a bullet meant for me. You're still the same man who got us through countless situations where we had no chance at all of survival, including letting yourself be captured to assure our escape. You're still the same man who gave up his entire allotment of rations to feed hungry woman and children who would have just as soon shot you as anything," Scott defended him fiercely. "I can still see that man buried under a ton of pain and uncertainty. I wish there was something I could do to bring that man out again and I sure as hell am not going to stand in the way if Marie can. You did what you had to do to survive, Logan. Anyone who would begrudge you anything isn't worth a damn. No one is in any position to judge a fucking thing you've done!"

Surprised by the intense devotion from a man he hadn't seen for years, Logan was relieved to some degree. "Thanks, man. I just ... people look at me sometimes and I can see the fear and pity in their eyes. It means a lot that you understand."

"I do," Scott assured him, looking to his friend sideways with his head cocked and eyebrow raised. "So does that mean that you're going to stay?" The hope in his tone was as unmistakable as the honest look in his eyes.

Logan considered it for a moment before slowly shaking his head. "I don't think that's wise, Scott. I should just leave before things get out of hand and Marie gets hurt. She's a great girl, Scott, she deserves someone better, someone whole, someone who won't go mental and attack her again."

Scott shook his head, a perturbed expression wrinkling his features. "You didn't attack her, Logan, dammit..."

"No, I just grabbed her by the throat and tried to strangle her," Logan cut him off, shouting angrily as he bolted from the bed to his feet.

"You didn't know it was Marie," Scott defended, rising as well. He started to pace by way of relieving his pent up frustration at Logan's self-recrimination. "You were reacting to a dream, protecting yourself from an unknown enemy."

"I was squeezing the life out of your sister, crushing her windpipe as I choked her," Logan retorted sharply. Suddenly his expression feel and his voice shook with emotion. His next words were spoken so softly that Scott had to strain to hear them. "I'd never forgive myself if I hurt her."

Moving up behind his friend, Scott placed a gentle hand on his back. He was surprised when Logan flinched but refrained from commenting on that as he said what he'd intended to say. "You'll hurt her if you leave like this," Scott said quietly, easily clapping Logan on the back before turning and heading for the door.

Logan closed his eyes and took a deep, shaky breath before turning toward Scott's retreating back. "I wouldn't be any good to her in an intimate relationship anyway."

The shame and sorrow in the softly spoken sentence brought Scott up short and he slowly turned to face his friend. What he saw tore at his heart as the confident self-assured man that he had known looked completely broken. Logan's eyes were haunted and sad, shining with unshed tears as he stood rigidly, his fists clenched tightly at his sides. Scott walked back to his previous position and resumed his seat on the edge of the bed silently. Logan had opened the current topic and Scott was inclined to let him continue in his own time.



Suddenly, without warning, Jean, Ororo and Marie found their vision starting to dim slowly, while all sound faded to silence. They exchanged confused looks as Chris' voice sounded in their heads. "Sorry ladies, this is one of those private moments I mentioned. You will continue to observe, although that may also fade out at times, but you won't hear anything until the moment is over."

"What about Scott and Logan?" Jean asked softly, her eyes shifting back and forth between the two men who were obviously engrossed in the conversation, taking place in the room below them.

"They can fully see and hear what's happening and are aware that you are cannot," Chris informed the ladies. "You may talk amongst yourselves if you wish, they will not be able to hear you."

Not knowing what to say, the X-Women simply focused their eyes on what was happening. They didn't really need to hear what was being said to know that it was serious and that if effected Logan very deeply.



As Logan stood there motionlessly, his harsh, shaky breathing was the only sound in the small room as he prepared himself to discuss something now that he hadn't told another living soul. "I can't, uh..." his voice trembled horribly and he paused to clear his throat. Releasing a heavy sigh, Logan tried again. "I can't..." again his voice fell silent as he searched for a way to continue, which would still afford him a little dignity.

"Function?" Scott supplied softly, hoping he was helping rather making it worse.

Logan considered the word for a moment, looking to the ceiling in the hopes to keep the tears from spilling from his eyes. Finally he blinked firmly, looked to Scott and nodded. "Yeah, function. They uh ... they really fucked me up, Scott. You think my chest and back are bad, you should see what they did to the rest of me."

A million questions raced through Scott's mind but he didn't know where to begin or even what he should or shouldn't ask. Finally he decided it was better to just let Logan talk, revealing what he wanted in his own time and on his own terms.

Slowly his expression became distant and his entire body began to shake. When Logan spoke again, his voice was thick with emotion and shuddering from the horrific memories. "Had one asshole who got off on stabbing my feet with a hot poker."

"My God!" Scott breathed softly.

"There is no God, Scott, that's the one thing I learned in that camp," Logan returned harshly. "Lucky for me that dipshit got caught pretty early on but there was someone just as bad to replace him." Pausing, Logan closed his eyes against the images replaying in his head. "There was always someone just as bad ... or worse."

"Worse?" Scott repeated unable to keep the word from falling from his lips.

"This one fucker in particular, he liked to do a little carving on me before jacking himself off. Penis envy taken to the extreme," he stated bitterly, punctuating the statement with a humorless snort.

Closing his eyes, Scott fought the bile rising to his throat. How could anyone have survived the shit Logan had and not be completely insane?

"It wasn't long before I developed an ability to just shut off any feeling," Logan informed him in a low, distant voice. "I've just never really looked for that switch again."

"So you haven't tried then?" Scott asked suddenly, feeling more confident in his questioning.

"Oh, I've tried," Logan insisted sharply, "the few times I've managed to get my pants down without the woman running screaming from the room."

Scott felt a swell of anger wash through him at the idea. "What do the doctor's say?" he questioned thoughtfully.

"Ain't seen no damn doctors," Logan returned crisply with a harsh snort. "I've been fucked with enough, I don't need no doctors poking and prodding me."

"Jean's a doctor, Logan, maybe you should talk to her," Scott suggested. "Maybe there's something she can do, or she might know someone in the area that can help you."

Logan gave a short humorless laugh. "I ain't gonna have your wife working on my pluming, Scott, and like I said, I ain't in any hurry to have some stranger ... dickin' around, so to speak."

"You know there are some products on the market now, Logan. Have you tried any of them?" he wondered, once again angered by the thought of women running out on Logan under such circumstances.

Catching Scott's momentary angered expression, Logan felt compelled to comment as he responded to the questions. "There's more to it than that, Scott, and I don't blame them for running. It's not a pretty sight and hell, I don't even like to touch the fucking thing so I certainly don't blame a woman for not wanting to."

"Maybe all you need is the right woman," Scott suggested, meeting Logan's gaze squarely.

He just nodded slowly. "Could be, but it won't be Marie."

"Why not, Logan?" his friend demanded. "You obviously care for her or you wouldn't be telling me all this and I know she feels the same way. Who's to say that you two aren't supposed to be together?"

"Me," Logan returned gruffly. "Marie deserves more, she deserves better than to have to put up with my hang ups and baggage. She shouldn't have to settle for someone who's as scarred on the inside as on the outside. Hell, she's young, she shouldn't have to settle for anyone."

Scott raised his brows as he stood, turning to fully face the other man. "Maybe to her it wouldn't be settling, Logan. Look, man, I'm not going to try to pressure you into something that doesn't feel right but I think you should stay and see what happens. The choice is yours of course. If you want to leave I'll take you back to the apartment. Just think about it, okay?"

Logan gave him a brief nod then watched as Scott turned and left the room, his mind fighting with his heart. His options were clear and the battle lines had been drawn, all that remained now was determining the victor.



Making his way down the hallway, Scott paused at the junction of the living room and caught Marie's eye before moving into the kitchen. She quickly excused herself from the group and followed him.

"What's goin' on?" Marie asked as her and Scott settled at the far corner of the dining room table where they could see both doors leading into the room. "Is Logan awl right?"

With a heavy sigh Scott dropped his gaze to the table top for a beat before once again meeting and holding Marie's. "Logan's torn, Marie ... about a lot of things."

"What's that mean, Scott?" she demanded quickly, her confusion clear in both expression and tone.

"He just needs some time to sort things out," Scott assured her. "Give it to him and I think he'll come around."

Marie shook her head the bewilderment on her face increasing. "Come 'round t' what, Scott? Ah don' even know what's happenin' here."

"I don't know what to tell you, Marie," Scott stated in an exasperated tone. "It's not really my place to say anything at all."

"But why's he so upset?" she wanted to know. "Did Ah do somethin' wrong?"

Scott sighed, shaking his head in frustration. "I can't tell you anymore than I already have, Marie. You haven't done anything wrong though. Just give Logan some time to think and things should work themselves out."

"Scott, Ah..." Marie's voice faded to silence as she closed her eyes, heaving a heavy sigh.

"What?" Scott asked. He knew his sister extremely well for having only known her for five years and he knew that she was terribly troubled by recent events.

Shaking her head, Marie opened her eyes and met his gaze. "Ah really care a lot 'bout Logan, Scott."

"I know," he assured her with a quick nod.

"Ah've never felt more comfortable around anyone like Ah do with him," Marie tried to explain. "After what happened with... Well, after what happened, Ah've never really felt safe around men, 'cept fer you a course. Ah feel safe with Logan, Scott. Ah... It jus' scares me t' think that Ah might lose 'im." Realizing suddenly what she'd said and how it sounded, Marie was quick to add, "Not that Ah ever had 'im. Ya know what Ah mean?"

Again Scott nodded, "Yeah, Marie, I know what you mean. I wish there was something more I could do but it's really up to Logan now."

Without comment or question, Marie rose from the table and exited the kitchen, leaving Scott alone with his thoughts as she searched for a place to be alone with her own.



After nearly three hours alone in her room listening for Logan to leave his, Marie finally mustered the strength to join the others, or at least move in that direction. As it was quickly approaching lunchtime, she headed for the kitchen to start something for the meal. Marie was surprised to find Scott and Remy cooking up a storm while Jean and Ororo visited quietly at the table.

Marie stopped in the doorway of the kitchen and watched the group, unnoticed, for a moment before glancing down the hallway toward Logan's room. She was seriously considering going to talk to him when Scott's voice reached her ears.

"I was just about to come get you," he informed her in a soft, caring tone. "Lunch is almost ready."

"Somethin' smells good," she offered half-heartedly, trying to her best to sound enthusiastic. The truth was that until she knew what Logan was going to do she couldn't get very excited about anything. "Ah'll jus' go get Logan," Marie said before starting to turn back the way she'd come.

Scott was beside her before she could take more than two steps, his hand on her arm stopping her. "I already checked with him, Marie," he told her, his voice filled with sympathy. "He's not hungry right now."

"He's gotta eat, Scott," Marie insisted emotionally, her eyes once again filling with tears, "he ain't even had breakfast."

"I told him I'd take him something later," Scott stated, wrapping his arm around her shoulder and pulling her into the kitchen. "Come on," he coaxed, "you didn't have much for breakfast either."

Her body and mind numb from the events of the day, Marie allowed her brother to lead her to the table across the room and sit her down between the other women. She barely had the presence of mind to acknowledge them with a curt nod as she worked to slow her racing mind.

Jean slowly lifted a hand to the younger woman's shoulder, rubbing her hand lightly down Marie's back. Unable to think of something to say that wouldn't sound insignificant, she simply offered a caring smile when Marie turned toward her. Jean could almost feel the emotions visible in Marie's features, the sadness in her deep brown eyes.

Scott had explained to the others briefly, having been asked about the sudden disappearance of both Logan and Marie earlier. No one really knew what to say so the group sat, mostly in silence, as Remy and Scott brought the food to the table and everyone filled their plates.

The uncomfortable silence continued through out the meal until Marie rose suddenly from her place, leaving her untouched plate where it sat. "Ah'm sorry t' be such a downer y'all," she said quietly, sweeping her gaze over the silent group. "Don' let me ruin yer day," Marie concluded as she started to walk away.

"Marie!" Scott called after her but she made no show that she heard him although he knew she had. "Damn it," he swore softly, rising from his chair.

"Scott, maybe you should give her some time too," Ororo suggested in her naturally soothing tone.

"'Ro's right, babe," Jean was quick to agree. "Marie knows we're here if she wants to talk, but there isn't anything we can do to help her until Logan makes a decision."

Ororo was nodding her ascent, a saddened expression on her beautiful features.

"Remy t'ink de petites be right, homme," the Cajun told Scott.

His expression one of ill-concealed frustration, Scott returned to his seat with a heavy sigh. "I guess you're all right."

"Logan and Marie seem so perfect for each other," Ororo commented quietly as she looked at each of her companions in turn. "I just hope that Logan can see that."

All around the table heads nodded in agreement. If only the decision was theirs to make, it would already be decided.



It was well into the evening before Logan reappeared from the sanctuary of his bedroom, his decision to stay or go finally made. It hadn't been an easy choice, as time could tell, and he still wasn't one hundred percent certain but he was tired of the battle. Making his way down the hallway from his room, he resigned himself to face the others before pushing the living room door open.

Everyone looked up as the door across the room swung inward. Expectant faces turned toward the man in the doorway but no one spoke. Even Scott remained silent as he waited for Logan to announce his decision.

A scowl soured the handsome features of Logan's face as he glanced at each of the people now staring at him. The expression became even more pronounced when he realized that one particular member of the group was missing, the most important member.

"Where's Marie?" he demanded in a near growl.

Scott, as well as the rest of the group, was slightly taken aback by the harsh tone. With a quick glance at Jean, Scott met Logan's questioning gaze. "She went over to Xavier's to help with some party planning," he informed his friend. "So what did you decide?"

Logan was less than pleased by the response to his question, feeling like he'd run her away from her own home and visitors. "Fuck," he muttered under his breath at the thought of running her off. That was all it took for him to start to reconsider his choice. Fortunately before he had much time to do just that, the front door opened and Marie stepped inside, pausing at the sight of him.

"Good timing, Marie," Scott spoke up, filling the empty silence, "Logan was just about to tell us what he plans to do."

It took her a moment to work up the courage to moved fully into the house and close the door behind her. Moving toward her usual chair, Marie slipped out of her coat and curled it around her arm before slinking into the seat, her eyes locked on Logan through out the whole process.

Under Marie's intense gaze it was hard for Logan to even catch his breath much less get his thoughts in order. He found it amazing that she appeared more beautiful every time he saw her and that his heart pounded faster in response. That more than anything was what scared him about the situation, how much he wanted to be around her always. Logan had never really considered himself a people person; he'd always pretty much been a loner so the feelings inside of him were new and frightening.

"Logan?" Scott prompted when the other man remained silent, watching as his eyes flashed back and forth between Marie and the floor near his feet.

Jerking his head around at the sound of his name, Logan looked at Scott as he swallowed past a dry throat. "Right," he nodded in response to the unasked question in his friend's eyes. "I ... uh ... I think I might stay," Logan finally informed the group, his eyes settling on Marie once more as he completed his thought, "if everyone's all right with that."

Marie closed her eyes to hold back the tears of relief that were threatening as she exhaled the breath she'd been holding.

"I'm glad to hear that, buddy," Scott stated with a relieved smile.

"That's really great, Logan," Jean agreed, giving her husband's arm a tight squeeze in her excitement.

Across the room, Ororo was nodding. "It is wonderful that you are staying," she offered her opinion with a quick glance at Marie.

"Dat good news, homme," Remy added since everyone else was responding.

Logan shifted his eyes once more to rest on Marie, the only one whose opinion really mattered. He was trying not to read anything into it until she responded but the bright, almost adoring smile on her face was extremely hard to miss.

"A course we're awl right with that, Logan," she told him, her smile fading to a shy grin. "Ah'm more than happy ya're stayin'."

Relieved to have at least that much out of the way, Logan released a deep exhalation and bobbed his head slightly in response. "I'm happy to be staying too," he told her, their eyes meeting, an unspoken but meaningful exchange taking place between them. There was still more talking to do and they silently agreed that it would be soon.



As it turned out, it was some time after dinner that the opportunity presented itself for Logan and Marie to talk. The tension in the air was palpable so it was no surprise when the two actual couples retired for the night early.

The room was silent for several minutes after the others left as Logan and Marie each worked up their own courage to broach the subject that had been occupying both their minds all day. The quiet was broken suddenly as they each called the other's name at the exact same moment. They both paused, finally looking at the other as they each released a nervous chuckle.

"Go ahead, Marie," Logan offered in a low, hoarse voice that made him clear his throat against the rasp.

"That's awl right, Logan," she returned softly, "ya can go on."

Logan nodded, licking dry lips as he stalled for a moment longer. "I just... I wanted to apologize for earlier," he stammered but finally got it out.

Marie's forehead wrinkled in confusion. "There ain't nothin' ya need t' 'pologize fer, Logan," she told him adamantly.

Nervously Logan clenched his teeth together, the muscles in his jaw jumping with tension. "I shouldn't have kissed you, Marie," he insisted quietly.

"Ya wadn't the only one kissin', Logan," Marie reminded him. "Ah kissed ya back, ya know."

"That's not the point, Marie," Logan stated calmly.

Shaking her head, Marie shrugged. "Then what's the point, Logan? Ya kissed me and Ah kissed ya back now Ah dunno 'bout ya but Ah happened enjoy that an' Ah don't see why ya feel the need t' apologize or think ya should leave."

The words Logan was hearing from Marie were more than he could have asked for. Still they did nothing to lessen his fear, instead just strengthened his resolve. "Marie ... I'm very attracted to you, I'm not gonna lie to you about that, but I'm not what you need. Not by a long shot."

Marie couldn't help but smile at that. "Ah'm really attracted t' ya too, Logan," she assured him, "an' don't ya think Ah should have some say in what Ah need?"

"You don't even know me, Marie," Logan protested softly. "You don't know what I've done, what I can do. Hell, you do know what I'm capable of, I almost killed you the other night," he continued, his voice rising in a passionate exclamation.

"Ah know ya reacted t' somethin' in a dream an' ya grabbed me," Marie admitted softly, "but ya didn't hurt me."

"Like hell I didn't," Logan retorted sharply. "Marie, I could see the pain and the panic in your eyes ... that and the fear." Pausing, he averted his gaze and clenched his eyes tightly closed. When he spoke again, his voice was low and tender. "You don't know how much seeing that fear in your eyes and knowing that I was the cause tore me up, Marie."

Her eyes shining with unshed tears that just then started to spill from her eyes, Marie shook her head. "Ah'll admit that Ah's surprised and a little afraid but Ah wadn't afraid a you, Logan," she told him. "Ah could see the fear in yer eyes too and Ah's only afraid a how ya'd feel if ya hurt me. Ah knew Ah's takin' a risk tryin' t' wake ya. Ah jus' couldn't listen t' ya sufferin' like ya was."

Logan didn't know how to respond to that so he sat silently and stared at the incredible woman next to him. Never in his life had he met anyone that he felt closer to. There had been women, he hadn't been a saint by any means, but not one of them even came close to comparing with Marie. Maybe that was what was scaring Logan so much. He'd never really cared enough about a woman to give a damn if she stayed or left, but now...

"Logan?" Marie called out, hoping to bring him back to the conversation. She waited until he returned his gaze to her before she continued. There was so much she wanted to tell him and she needed to do it before she lost her nerve.

"Logan, Ah wanna be yer friend but that ain't awl Ah want," Marie admitted boldly, her entire body trembling with fear ... the fear of rejection. "Ah've never felt closer t' any man in mah entire life. There's never been anyone that Ah've wanted t' let close ... not 'til Ah met ya."

"Marie," Logan started to interrupt but she wouldn't allow it.

"No, Logan, lemme finish," she cut him off sharply. "Ya're the first man that Ah ever felt comfortable with. The only man that Ah ever felt safe with. For the first time in years Ah's able t' sleep a full night without nightmares a mah own and without spendin' hours starin' uselessly at the ceilin'. You made that happen, Logan," Marie told him enthusiastically, "an' not jus' once but twice."

"Twice?" Logan questioned, his brow furrowed in confusion.

Marie hadn't even realized her slip until Logan called her on it. Quickly she averted her gaze and tried to work out a plausible story but in the end she decided that if she was to have anything with Logan, she had to be honest with him. "Las' night after we fell asleep, Ah woke up an' Ah's surprised that Ah's still yer bed," she started to tell him, explaining how she'd found herself in his arms and how she'd gone back to his bed instead of her own.

"Ah'd never slept like that, Logan," Marie stated again, hoping that point would convince him, "an'..."

What she was telling him wasn't helping Logan's resolve that she deserved and needed someone better than him. Everything that she was saying was exactly how it had been for him so he couldn't help but ask her to continue. He wanted to know it all. "And what, Marie?"

Her nerve faltering slightly beneath the intense gaze Logan pinned on her, Marie looked away, closing her eyes as she did so, making tears stream down her face. A gentle hand on her chin forced her head up, turning it toward Logan's position but she kept her eyes closed. At least until the hand shifted.

Logan moved the hand on Marie's chin until it gently cupped the side of her face then brushed his thumb across the wet skin beneath her eye. He could feel her trembling at his touch but he knew it wasn't from fear.

"Marie," Logan called softly, waiting until she finally opened her eyes before he continued in the same low, tender tone, "and what?"

Sobbing lightly as Logan persisted at wiping away her tears, Marie at long last completed the statement she'd started earlier. "An' it jus' felt so right t' wake up in yer arms, Logan," she said with a sniffle.

Her statement was a near exact quote to what he'd told Scott earlier and Logan found himself believing, if only for a second, that maybe he and Marie did belong together. Almost before he completed the thought, the rest of his earlier conversation with Scott about his current problem came back to Logan like a slap to the face. Even so, he wasn't going to lie to her, about his feelings or anything else.

"I know what you mean, Marie," Logan assured her softly, his hand stilling on her face but not moving from it, "but feeling right and being right are two different things."

"Not always, Logan," Marie objecting, shaking her head. "They ain't gotta be. There ain't nothin' wrong with two adults sharin' a bed fer a peaceful night's sleep. Ah think while ya're here, at the very least we can give each other that," she suggested boldly, meeting Logan's pensive gaze. Marie's eyes darted away sharply for a beat before once again locking on his. "'Course Ah wouldn't object t' somethin' more 'an that."

"Something more ... like what?" Logan asked, his hand falling from her face and joining the other in a questioning gesture before falling into his lap.

Marie released a sharp breath through her nose resulting in a soft snort. "Ah ain't got nothin' planned out, Logan," she told him lightly, almost shyly. "Ah guess Ah'm jus' sayin' that Ah wouldn't object t' seein' where a relationship might lead."

His face contorting with a mixture of emotions he couldn't even fully identify, Logan repeated the key word in her sentence, the one that was the most frightening. "Relationship... Marie, you don't even know me."

"Then tell me," she retorted in a pleading tone. "The past is the past, Logan, but if ya wanna discuss history then go ahead."

"Marie," Logan began gruffly, pausing to release a heavy breath and even out his tone, "my head is as fucked up as my body. You do not need someone like me hanging around screwin' up your life."

"Ya'd not be screwin' up mah life, Logan," Marie returned bluntly. "Ya said yaself ya ain't really ever talked 'bout what happened t' ya. What ya need is someone who'll listen, Logan. Someone ya can talk t' who won't judge ya, someone who cares more 'bout who ya are then what ya've done. Someone like me..."

Logan wanted nothing more than to believe what she was saying and accept what she was offering but the beast inside of him, that had helped him survive years of horrible abuse, wouldn't give in. Wouldn't accept that he could do anything more than ruin the life of the only woman he'd ever cared about. Above all, Logan couldn't get past the fact that if he did start something with Marie, he'd be condemning her to a possible life with someone who could never make love to her. He knew, somehow, somewhere deep inside of him, that there was more to his problem than just having turned off a switch to keep the pain at bay.

Above all that though, there was fear. Fear that it wouldn't matter to Marie as he figured it wouldn't. Fear that eventually he'd work up the nerve to try with her. Fear, not that he would be disappointed that he couldn't do it, but fear that she would react as other women had. Fear that she would no longer look at him with that burning glint in her eyes. Fear that she'd see him suddenly as half a man, someone that deserved her pity. It was that fear that made him rise from his seat suddenly and move toward the door.

"Talkin's all well and good, Marie," Logan said in a voice tight with fear and full of bitter self-loathing, "but eventually talkin' won't be enough and you'll want touch. I don't do touch, Marie. I don't like to be touched and you sure as hell won't wanna touch what I've got."

Marie watched with tear-filled eyes as Logan stalked toward the door. "There's more t' havin' a relationship then touchin', Logan," she threw after him in a soft tone. She wasn't even sure he'd heard her until her paused at the door and looked back at her. "Ah ain't in any hurry."

Once again, Logan was torn. Part of him wanted nothing more than to walk back across the room and pull Marie into his arms, never again to let her go. Still another part demanded that he continue out that door, reasoning that hurting her a little now was better than hurting her a lot later. In the end, as always, self-preservation won out. Logan turned back to the door and without a word walked out of the room, leaving Marie to cry.

It was nearly fifteen minutes later when Marie forced her tears away and gathered the strength to rise from the chair. Walking slowly, on trembling legs, she made her way down the hallway. She paused at Logan's door at the sound of gruff grumbling and the distinctive sounds of a raging tantrum. Fighting the urge to knock, Marie turned up the hallway and moved into her own room.

Doing her best to ignore the sounds of the fit being thrown on the other side of the wall, Marie changed quickly into a nightgown. If she'd stopped to think about it, she would have realized that Logan was battling within himself over her comments and ideas and that it was a good thing. As it was, all she could think was that she'd hurt him. That she was causing him even more pain than he was already carrying.

With a nearly overwhelming guilt threatening to pull her down, Marie moved to her stereo. She quickly pulled on her headphones to block out the sounds coming from Logan's room and set up her favorite CDs. She already knew that she wasn't going to be doing any sleeping that night so music was her only escape, not that she expected that to help her current situation.



Logan had the bedroom pretty well thrashed before he managed to bring himself back under control. He wondered how it was that Marie knew just the right things to say to get under his skin and make him think, make him wish, make him hope, make him pray to a God that he no longer believed in. He wanted to, wanted to believe that he could do more for Marie than ruin her life, wanted to wish that she could help him put the demons to rest, wanted to hope that she really believed everything she'd told him and really felt the way she'd said.

Slowly he began to right the things he'd overturned in his rage, returning items to their rightful places. It took him a while to put everything back and he did so repentantly, his mind still waging a battle of wills with his heart.

Once finished with that task, Logan readied for bed and reluctantly climbed beneath the covers. He knew that he wouldn't be getting any sleep anytime soon and as he laid there, staring at the ceiling in the quiet of his room, he could hear the faint beat of music filter through the wall from Marie's room. Recalling that she used music to distract her from her own personal demons, which Logan still knew nothing about, he scowled against the thought of her struggling, as he was, when there was such a simple solution. If only his heart could convince his mind that it was better to take the risk than to deny them both the opportunity for happiness.



Having discussed earlier the need for Logan and Marie to have a chance to talk privately, Scott and Jean made plans to finally watch that video they'd been wanting to see but never quite had time for. Lying in their bed now, as the ending credits began to scroll down the television screen, Scott was so lost in thought that he was surprised when Jean turned off the TV and turned to him with a grin.

"Wasn't that great?" she asked excitedly.

Scott couldn't even respond considering he hadn't really seen the movie at all. He couldn't get his mind off the chain of events brought about by Logan's appearance. The attraction between him and Marie, them enjoying a peaceful night in each other's arms, the kiss they'd shared in the heat of the moment. Then of course there was Scott's conversation with Logan, the revelation of everything that had happened to his friend and what it had done to him, not only physically but mentally as well.

Jean's grin slowly began to falter as she recognized the far away look in her husband's eyes. It was something she'd seen and dealt with before, as most wives of war veterans had. "Scott?" she called softly, raising herself up on one elbow as she draped her other arm across his bare chest. "Honey, what's wrong?"

It was a moment before he answered, taking him a beat to find the right words, one that she would accept without a lot of questions. Or so he hoped. "I guess I'm just distracted," he offered quietly. "I'm worried about Logan and Marie."

A gentle bobbing of her head expressed Jean's understanding. "Everything will be all right, Scott," she stated firmly, confident in the statement. "They'll work it out."

Still struggling with the information he'd been privileged to, Scott didn't respond.

Concerned over her husband's state of mental decline, not to mention thinking of her own desires, Jean put a plan into action. Her hand strayed slowly across Scott's chest, arcing downward as she smiled at him, a delicate eyebrow arched suggestively. "It looks like I'm going to have to do a little distracting of my own."

The seductive tone of Jean's voice brought Scott back instantly but it did little to excite him as it usually did. Even so he tried to enjoy the feel of her smooth skin skimming his torso but all it brought to mind was the vision of women fleeing a room in disgust.

Not yet noticing Scott's lack of response, Jean leaned down to press her slightly parted lips to the muscular curve of his shoulder before laying a path along his collarbone.

Closing his eyes to try and concentrate on Jean's tender, loving caresses, other images played through Scott's mind. Men poking and prodding their helpless prisoner, cutting and carving on him like a useless piece of meat. In his mind, the smooth, gentle hand on his body suddenly turned rough and abusive.

Sitting up abruptly, Scott grabbed Jean by the shoulders and pushed her away forcefully, his eyes wild and his entire body trembling with emotion.

Jean's eyes widened in surprise at the uncharacteristic reaction. "Scott, what's wrong?" she asked nearly frantic.

Scott blinked against the threat of tears and shook his head slowly. "I'm sorry, baby, I just... I can't ... not tonight."

"Scott, tell me what's wrong?" Jean begged, her eyes filling with tears.

He hated lying to his wife but Scott didn't feel it was his place to discuss Logan's situation. He'd suggested that his friend talk to Jean himself but he wasn't comfortable with that and Scott wasn't about to alienate Logan by going against his decision. "Jean, I'm just tired," he told her, which wasn't a complete lie.

It wasn't hard to tell that there was more to it than that and Jean was pretty sure that it had something to do with Logan considering the days events but she wasn't going to make things worse by pushing Scott. She knew that he'd talk to her if he could without breaking confidences and she wasn't about to stick her nose in where it may hurt Logan. That man had been through enough and she wasn't going to make things worse just to satisfy her curiosity.

"I'm sorry," Scott repeated softly as he gently stroked her cheek.

With a sympathetic smile, Jean silently pushed against her husband until he laid back on the mattress, following him down before curling against his side, her head resting lightly on his chest. "It's okay, honey," she whispered quietly against the tight skin of his muscular torso.

Scott wrapped his arm around her, turning his face to kiss the top of her head. It wasn't long before Jean's body went limp against his side, her respiration slowing as she slipped into quiet, restful sleep. Scott knew that was something that would escape him for a while and he realized what Logan went through on a nightly basis, how the threat of those memories returning could make closing your eyes a frightening proposition.



Marie had listened to soothing music for hours before accepting the fact that it wasn't going to help her fall asleep. Tonight though it was more than just the usual fears that were keeping her awake, tonight it was the thought of losing something special.

With a sigh, Marie turned off the stereo and removed her headphones, setting them aside before moving back to the bed. She had just stretched out beneath the covers when she heard a barely audible whisper of music. Marie checked to assure her stereo was off before she realized that the sound was coming through the wall from Logan's room. So he wasn't having any better luck sleeping than she was.

She tried to strain to hear more of the rhythm of the music to try and figure out what he was listening to but she could only make out a beat here or there, not enough to recognize anything. As she listened, the music faded out and almost immediately Marie heard movement in the room. She listened through the wall to the sound of light footsteps moving toward the door.

Berating herself over the invasion of privacy for eavesdropping, Marie rolled onto her side and closed her eyes. She began humming lightly to herself to cover the sounds of the quiet house when the door to her room opened slowly. Sitting up and reaching quickly for the light beside the bed, Marie was surprised to find Logan standing in the doorway, an unreadable look in his hazel eyes.

Logan didn't speak at all, just stepped into the room and closed the door behind him before walking to the side of the bed opposite Marie and sitting down.

Marie remained silent as well, waiting for him to explain his presence. He'd come to her and she would let him start the discussion.

"I'm sorry, Marie," Logan apologized quietly after several long moments of silence intermittent with quick but meaningful glances.

"Sorry fer what?" she questioned weakly as her eyes gently caressed his rugged face.

Taking a deep breath and releasing it slowly, Logan let loose with what he'd spent the last several hours examining. "I'm afraid, Marie," he admitted gruffly. "I want to be with you. I want to see where we can take this but I'm afraid."

Tears sprang to Marie's eyes at his words, which so closely echoed her own feelings. "Ah'm scared too, Logan," she assured him, her voice thick with the southern twang and trembling with emotion. "We ain't gotta be afraid no more though, not so long as we have each other."

"I think you deserve better," Logan repeated his major bone of contention.

"Ah don' want better," Marie insisted, her eyes burrowing deeply into his, "Ah wan' you."

Logan looked away sharply with that comment. There was still the matter of his functionality and despite the fact that he knew he should disclose everything up front, he couldn't bring himself to tell her yet. Instead he said, "We need to take this slow, Marie. There's no reason for us to rush into anything."

Marie nodded her head slowly in agreement. "Ah ain't lookin' fer casual sex, Logan," she told him to set the record straight.

His left eyebrow quirked at the comment as the right corner of his mouth curled into a lop-sided grin. "That's good to know, cause that ain't what I'm looking for either."

Smiling sweetly, thankful that they'd seemed to come to an understanding, Marie tilted her head playfully. "Well now that we've agreed t' that, sugah, ya wanna get in this bed so's we can get some sleep?"

A loud, almost barking laugh issued from Logan's mouth. "That, darlin', is a wonderful idea," he returned, still chuckling. Grinning wolfishly, he stood up long enough to lift the covers and crawl beneath them.

With a soft giggle, Marie waited until he was settled before situating herself at his side. They each sighed at the sensation of once again being in the other's arms and it wasn't long before both were asleep, peacefully.



As it turned out, Logan did have a minor nightmare but it was nothing compared to the debilitating ones he was more used to. It was nearing dawn when he awoke with a light jerk. Marie tightened her hold on him as she moaned her objection to the movement despite still being sound asleep.

Logan grinned at her reaction, looking down to where her head and hand rested on his chest before shifting his head to nuzzle her hair. The scent of Marie's shampoo washed over him and he closed his eyes as he gave himself over to the sensations that it evoked. Once more as he laid there, Logan was struck by how right it felt to have that particular woman sleeping soundly at his side, her supple body pressed against him, her head pillowed at the crook of his shoulder.

Shifting his hand, Logan covered her smaller one where it rested over his heart, pressing her soft palm more firmly to the ragged texture of his torso. His comment from last evening about not liking to be touched returned to his mind and he had to admit, at least to himself, that he did like her touch.

He spent the rest of the morning watching Marie while she slept. Studying her reactions to his movements, memorizing the lines and curves of her face and branding her touch into his soul. He fell harder and deeper for her ever moment he spent with her. Logan couldn't believe that he'd nearly destroyed the best chance he was ever going to find for a, quote unquote, normal life. What was even more unbelievable was what had finally convinced him to give it a chance.

As Logan had laid in his bed the night before listening to the weak music coming from Marie's room, he'd remembered her final Christmas present to him and decided to give it a try. Finding a CD nearby and placing it in the player, Logan had turned it on and halfway listened to the songs until he focused on the words of one in particular. He'd actually stopped the playback and started the song again, paying close attention from beginning to end. In fact Logan had listened to the entire song several times in a row before he accepted how fitting and right the words were.

Even now, lying there with Marie wrapped up tightly in his arms, the words of that song played through his head. Shifting slightly, Logan placed a tender kiss on her forehead and immediately felt her heart start to pound against his side.

"Marie," he called softly, his tone lightly teasing, "I know you're awake."

A light exhalation of air tickled the hairs on Logan's chest as Marie giggled quietly. Slowly she tilted her head up to look at him. She was warmed from the inside out by the expression on his face, his sharply raised eyebrow and playful grin.

"How'd ya know?" Marie wondered, sleep still muddling her voice.

Logan's grin widened, "I have my ways, darlin'."

The expression on Marie's face transformed into something akin to awe as she stared at him. Her eyes held his gaze for what seemed like ages before she finally spoke. "Ah love the way ya say that, sugah."

"Well I love the way you say that," Logan retorted. There had been something appealing in that southern drawl from the beginning and when she called him 'sugar' that appeal became even more alluring.

Marie moved just a bit to stretch before resuming her position, curled at Logan's side, her hand sliding across his chest to wrap around his ribs. "So are we gonna jus' lay here awl day or ya wanna get up?"

A soft snort and a chuckle shook the bed beneath them. "Well, darlin', I'll leave that decision up to you although I will remind you that you do have company."

"Damn," she swore with mock exasperation, "Ah knew there's a reason we couldn't jus' sleep awl day." Releasing a heavy sigh then giving Logan a tight squeeze, Marie rolled to her back then threw off the covers to get up. She wasn't the least bit self-conscious about the fact that the thin and quite skimpy nightgown she was wearing didn't leave much to the imagination.

Logan couldn't stop from staring as she moved from the bed toward the door. The gown she wore now was even more revealing the near backless one she'd worn the first night. This one was shorter too, leaving one hell of a view of long, shapely legs and it exposed a little more with each step. Logan could feel himself starting to salivate, just thinking about all that pale skin and what he could do with it. Finally he had to force himself to look away before he started something that he knew neither of them were ready for.

Rising from the opposite side of the bed, Logan circled around, stopping behind her and kissing her lightly on the cheek. "I'm gonna go get dressed, darlin'," he breathed hotly in her ear. "I'll see you soon."

Marie actually moaned at the seductive sound of his voice, sighing loudly as he pulled away from her and moved to the door.

Pausing there for a moment, Logan looked over his shoulder at her. With a grin and a wink, he turned back to the door and exited into the hallway.

Chewing lightly on her bottom lips, Marie watched him leave. As soon as the door was closed behind him she pulled off her nightgown and started to dress. She couldn't stand to be away from Logan for more than a few minutes and she couldn't wait to tell the others, Scott in particular, the decision they'd made.

Hurrying to his room a few paces down the hallway, Logan moved inside and changed quickly. He didn't want to be away from Marie any more than he had to be and he was anxious to let Scott in on what they'd decided. Despite their talk the day before, Logan was a little leery about what his friend would really think of him seeing his sister.

By odd coincidence, Logan and Marie both opened their doors at the exact same moment. They looked at each other and laughed as they met in the hallway. They stood silently for a beat, just looking at each other before Logan took her hand and pulled her gently toward the living room.

"You ready for this?" he asked as his free hand grasped the doorknob.

"Absolutely," Marie nodded and she was. She had no seconds thoughts or reservations of any kind in revealing to her friends and family that her and Logan were going to give it a try. In truth she couldn't wait to tell them because she already knew what they thought.

With a loud sigh, Logan turned the doorknob and he and Marie walked into the room hand in hand.

Scott turned immediately at the opening of the door. He'd been on pins and needles waiting for one or the other of them to get up. He was dying to know how things had worked out between them the night before. In fact, it had been a good distraction during his night in bed, dead tired yet afraid to close his eyes. Scott had tried several times and each time all he could do was picture himself in Logan's place while ruthless guards carved him up like a piece of wood.

Taking the fact that Logan and Marie were together as good sign, Scott let a small smile curl the corners of his mouth. As his eyes took them in however, the smile transformed into a smirk. The sight of them holding hands left little doubt in his mind.


"Good morning," Scott finally greeted them, his voice light, his former dark mood fading quickly.

Immediately Jean noticed the difference in Scott's tone, not to mention his stature. He'd been tense and distracted since the night before but suddenly he seemed relaxed and content.

Turning to see why Logan and Marie's entrance had so dramatically effected his mood, Jean was quick to take notice of their clasped hands as well.

"It's nice of you to join us this morning," Jean teased, arching her brow suggestively. "We were beginning to wonder if you two were going to stay in bed all day."

From her position across the room, Ororo was at the wrong angle to see what Jean and Scott were obviously so excited about but she quickly figured it out. Of course Marie's next comment helped in that department.

Turning to face Logan with a sexy tilt of her head and a meaningful look in her eyes, Marie spoke with an enhanced drawl. "Well that woulda been jus' fine by me..."

Logan's eyebrows rose sharply as a satisfied grin played across his face. "All you had to do was say so, darlin'," he told her playfully.

"I say we all go back to bed," Jean suggested, her tone decidedly pointed.

"Dat work for Remy," the Cajun agreed, wrapping an arm around Ororo and leaning in close. "Wha' you say, mon amour?"

"I say you are as bad as Jean," she teased him, using her shoulder to lightly push him back.

"Lucky you, 'Ro," Scott piped up instantly as he looked appreciatively at his wife.

Jean was quick to thank him with a lingering kiss on the check, her hand moving almost imperceptibly up his thigh.

"Well Ah think Ah'm the luckiest one here," Marie informed them, her free hand coming up to rest on Logan's bulging bicep.

With a firm shake of his head, he disagreed. "Nope, darlin', that'd be me."

As Logan finished his rebuttal, Marie's eyes met his. They enjoyed a private moment, just staring into each other, a wealth of emotion reflecting back and forth between them.

It was Marie who finally broke the gaze when she closed the distance separating them and kissed the increasing stubble on the side of his face. "Tie," she whispered against his ear in a honey sweet tone.

For the first time in his life, Logan actually trembled with the action. Marie's soft lips barely touching his cheek as they traveled up the side of his face. The feel of her warm breath bathing the sensitive skin of his ears. The kicker though was her seductive tone and that damn sexy southern drawl.

"I think I need to sit down," he muttered in a teasing tone, guiding Marie across the room with a hand on the small of her back. The truth was that he really did need to sit down but he hoped that everyone would pass if off in the jesting manner he'd said it.

Everyone in the room laughed but no one commented. Slowly, in some instances very slowly, the group began to regain control and the near hysterical laugher died down to a few gentle chuckles.

"So," Jean began, drawing everyone's attention as the new couple got settled, "what's on the agenda for today?" She was asking the group in general but her eyes were locked on Marie.

"Ah ain't got nothin' planned fer t'day," the hostess responded, "though Ah's thinkin' we should go t' Lilly's t'night. The X-Men are playin'."

"The X-Men?" Logan snickered, amusement obvious in his tone and expression. "What the hell kinda name is that?"

"Oooh, them's fightin' words, Logan," Scott informed his friend, his eyes flicking to his sister an instant later.

Following the movement of Scott's eyes, Logan immediately recognized the total lack of amusement on Marie's face.

"It happens t' be a very meanin'ful name, Logan," she told him, clearing fighting to keep her tone level. "Charles Xavier gave 'em all somethin' t' believe in, not t' mention givin' 'em a start. 'Round the orphanage it's an honor t' join the X-Men."

"I'm sorry, Marie," he apologized softly. "I didn't mean nothin'."

Marie sighed heavily, shaking her head slowly from side to side. "Ah know ya didn't, Logan," she assured him. "Ah'm sorry Ah snapped. Ah jus' get tired a all the jokes."

Nodding his understanding, Logan absolved her with a simple, "Okay."

"Well," Scott called out, "I don't know about the rest of you but I'm definitely going to need a nap this afternoon if we're going to be staying out all night."

"Ya know," Marie began, her tone serious for only half a second before becoming teasing, "if ya actually spent some time sleepin' at night 'stead a try t' pound the mattress flat with the raging sex kitten, ya might not need t' take naps in the middle a the day."

Quickly Jean raised her hands innocently. "It wasn't me this time," she defended herself, her words mostly drown out in the wake of the riotous laughter.

"Sure," Ororo agreed mockingly, rolling her eyes as she shook her head.

"Yeah, right," Marie returned in a teasing tone. "Try it on someone who don't know ya so well, Jeannie."

With one quick glance at Scott, Logan knew instinctively what had happened, it was pretty obvious from the look in the younger man's eyes.



"Come on, Marie," Jean shouted to be heard over the blaring music inside in the young woman's bedroom, pounding again on her door. "Everyone else is ready and you're holding up the show."

"Ah'll be out in a minute," Marie yelled back as she studied her reflection in the mirror. So she was taking her time getting ready, so what! She had a boyfriend now and she had to look good for him.

Within five minutes Marie exited her room and moved toward the living room where she figured everyone would be waiting. She was surprised to find only Logan but she wasn't the only one surprised.

Rising from his seat in one swift move, Logan stared open-mouth at the woman before him. Marie was dressed to the nines in a black leather skirt that fell about mid-thigh, black leather boots that came up to her knees, and a black blouse with see-through sleeves and a plunging neckline that afforded a nice view of her abundant cleavage. A black leather jacket, hanging loosely from her left arm completed the ensemble.

Logan blinked a couple of times and swallowed past a dry throat, even then having a hard time coming up with something to say.

Marie smiled at his clear approval but had to ask anyway. "Do Ah look awl right?"

Blowing a light breath through rounded lips, Logan moved forward, his hands landing on her shoulders as his eyes slid slowly down the length of her body then back up. "Darlin', you look better than all right. You look amazing, Marie."

Smiling shyly at the awe in his tone, she dropped her gaze momentarily before meeting his gaze again. "Ya look great yaself," she returned her eyes taking in his attire.

Arching an eyebrow questioningly, Logan shifted his eyes to his own clothes. He'd decided on his new jeans, boots, flannel shirt and leather jacket, all of which she'd given him for Christmas. "I don't even compare," he objected with a laugh.

"Ya're right 'bout that, sugah," Marie told him with a grin, "ain't a man in that place that'll compare t' ya."

A soft snort escaped Logan's nose as he pulled her jacket from her arm, holding it for her so she could slip into it. "I dunno about that, darlin'," he returned, "but I do know there won't another woman that'll draw as much attention as you."

Turning to once again face him, Marie closed the distance between them and gently placed a kiss on his cheek. "That's sweet, sugah," she whispered softly against the thick stubble on his face.

"That's the truth," Logan assured her, his voice hoarse and breathing ragged with just that limited contact. As Marie pulled back from him, their eyes met and for the first time he wished that he could respond to a woman because staring into her eyes at that moment he wanted nothing more than to carry her away and make love to her.

Clearing his throat and glancing away sharply, Logan said, "I guess we should head out. They'll all be wondering what's keeping us."

Reluctantly Marie nodded. "They awl outside?" she wondered, noticing again that no one else was around.

Logan shook his head. "Nope, they already took off. Jean couldn't wait any longer, said she needed to start Scott drinking soon or she'd never get him dancin'."

"Well let's jus' hope that he gets designated as the driver fer the evenin'," Marie laughed, "although him dancin' is pretty entertainin'."



They talked about nothing in particular as Marie drove the short distance to the local country bar. Pulling into the parking lot, she drove around to the rear of the building and parked the large sports utility vehicle beside a van marked as belonging at the "Charles Xavier Home for Troubled Youths".

Marie had barely slipped the truck into park when a short, dark-haired young woman came bounding around the van, rushing toward the driver's door, prompting Logan to hurriedly exit the vehicle and move in that direction.

"Marie," the Asian squealed excitedly, bouncing up and down impatiently ... at least until she noticed Logan stalk around the back of the Expedition and stop protectively at Marie's side.

"Hey, Jubes," Marie greeted with a smile as she placed a calming hand on Logan's arm. "How ya doin' t'night?"

The young woman didn't respond right away, she was too busy staring at the man with her friend. At first she was just surprised to see the almost possessive action from a man she'd never seen before or heard anything about and then she was simply checking him out. "Uh..." she stalled, still giving Logan the once over, "everything's cool. Glad you're here, we were worried there wouldn't be any friendlies."

"Ya knew Ah wouldn't miss it and Ah brought ever'one with me," Marie assured her. "Scott, Jean, Ororo and her boyfriend are already inside."

"Great," she returned, looking to Marie before focusing again on the man beside her. "Hi, I'm Jubilee," she said, offering him her hand, "and you are?"

"This is Logan," Marie introduced. "Logan, this is my friend, Jubilation Lee."

"Nice to meet you, Logan," Jubilee greeted before rolling her eyes. "Marie always insists on introducing me with my full name but no one ever calls me that. You can call me Jubilee or Jubes ... or just about anything else you want to," she stated with a flirtatious wink.

"Jubilee!" a loud summons sounded from the other side of the van prompting her to turn.

"Chill, Iceman, I'm coming. Listen, I'll see you guys inside, I gotta jet."

"Ya need help haulin' stuff in?" Marie asked as she slipped her hand into Logan's and pulled him into motion along side Jubilee.

"That'd be cool," Jubilee returned, her tone decidedly disappointed upon noticing the intimate gesture. She turned back around as they all rounded the front of the van and moved along the side to the back. "Hey gang, look who I found."

"Marie," a young man with sandy hair greeted with a meaningful smile before noticing the older man she was with and the fact that they were holding hands.

"Hi," another young woman waved at Marie, a blonde man at her side.

"Hey, ever'one, Ah'd like t' introduce mah..." Marie paused, glancing at Logan for a beat, his left eyebrow raised questioningly, "boyfriend, Logan. Logan, these are the X-Men. Bobby Drake," she said, gesturing to the kid with dark blonde hair.

"How are you?" Bobby asked, offering his hand only because it would force Logan to release Marie's.

Logan looked at the young man's hand before meeting his gaze. He wanted nothing more than to snub the little prick since it was apparent that he had a thing for Marie but he didn't want to hurt her so he reluctantly released her hand and took Bobby's. Applying more pressure than was necessary, he shook the younger man's hand and replied to the question with nothing more than a curt nod.

"This is John Allerdyce," Marie continued, sweeping her hand toward the blonde.

"G'day," John greeted, moving forward with a grin to take Logan's hand.

"How you doing?" Logan returned, surprised by the accent.

"Right as rain, mate," John responded with a thick Australian inflection.

"Ya already met Jubilee," Marie went on, pointing to the other young woman, "and this is Kitty Pryde."

Kitty was almost meek looking as she nodded to Logan with a shy smile before practically hiding behind Allerdyce.

"Well come on you guys," Jubilee cried impatiently, "are you gonna just stand out here all night, or what?"

"Y'all need help?" Marie asked as the group began unloading the back of the van.

"No worries," John replied with a shake of his head.

"Why don't you guys go on in and make sure you got a good table?" Jubilee suggested over her shoulder as she climbed into the cargo area of the van.

"Then we'll see ya inside," Marie stated as Logan once again took her hand and they started for the back door of the bar.

They hadn't made it all the way in the door when Jubilee's voice carried to them. "Damn, Kitty, is it just me or is he hotter than the tanning bed at Becky's?"

"Oh my God, I think I was drooling," Kitty's reply reached their ears just before the door swung shut.

Marie tilted her head to look at Logan and smiled at the light blush in his cheeks. "I think they liked ya, sugah," she said with a wink as they walked toward the table where Scott and the others were waiting.

"I was beginning to wonder if you two had decided to just stay home alone," Jean teased suggestively from her seat.

"Well, we did consider it," Logan responded with a grin as he pulled out a chair for Marie to sit in before taking the seat beside her.

Almost immediately there was a waitress there to take their order, a beer for Logan and a white Russian for Marie. "Thanks, Dawn," Marie said as the woman started away. Barely a minute passed before the older woman returned with their drinks. "Would you like me to start your group a tab, Marie?" she asked with a friendly smile.

"That'd be great, thanks."

With a nod, Dawn turned and moved on to the next table.

Across the room, the band had finished carrying in their stuff and was busy setting up various pieces of equipment. Marie watched them from the table for a few minutes before turning to face the group, all of which were watching her. "Ah'll be right back," she told them, finally focusing on Logan. "Ah jus' wanna make sure they don't need any help."

Logan looked up at her for a long moment before he gave a slight nod of acknowledgement. It was pretty clear that he would have rather had her stay there.

Marie flashed him a sweet smile as she bent down and gently kissed him on the cheek. "Ah won't be long, sugah, Ah promise."

"See that you aren't, darlin'," he responded when she turned and started away from the table.

On the other side of the table, Jean and Scott exchanged a smile at the growing closeness between the two. They were increasingly surprised by how right it felt to see Logan and Marie together as they were. That was part of the reason Jean had feigned impatience at the house. She wanted to give them the option of privacy, mainly for the drive home.

It wasn't long before the band was all set up and testing their sound so that Marie could return to the table. She sat at Logan's side and quickly wrapped her right hand around his left arm.

"D'ya miss me?" Marie asked him with a coy smile, her eyebrow arched questioningly.

"Absolutely," Logan assured her as his right hand came up to rest over hers.

"All right then," a voice sounded through the various speakers around the room, "how's everyone doing tonight?"

A smattering of applause and a few hoots and hollers was the response from the crowd.

"For those of you who don't know us," Bobby continued from the stage, talking clearly into the microphone in front of him, "we're the X-Men and we'd like to welcome you to Lilly's. We'd like to start tonight with a special dedication from one of our closet friends to the man in her life."

There was something in Bobby's tone that had Logan's hackles standing on end and he glared menacingly at the young man.

"So here it is, from Marie to Logan," Bobby concluded before signaling the group to begin.

Marie was tugging on Logan's arm trying to pull him out of his chair. Now usually he was not one that went much for dancing but then he'd never had a song dedicated to him before either.

Nervously Logan rose from his seat and walked with Marie to the sizeable dance floor before turning to face her. "I don't really dance, Marie," he informed her quietly.

With a smile, Marie simply wrapped her arms around his neck and pressed up against him. "Jus' move with me," she told him as the first words of the song echoed through the room.

When you feel all alone And the world has turned its back on you Give me a moment please to tame your wild, wild heart


His breath catching lightly at the words and how they were so fitting for him, Logan curled his arms around Marie's waist and pulled her even closer.

Around the bar, other couples began to join them, Jean and Scott and Ororo and Remy right in there too.

I know you feel like the walls are closing in on you It's hard to find relief and people can be so cold When darkness is upon your door and you feel like you can't Take any more


At that moment the music stepped up a notch but Logan and Marie continued with the slow sway they'd started as she began to sing along, softly so that only he'd hear.

Let me be the one you call If you jump I'll break your fall Lift you up and fly away with you into the night If you need to fall apart I can mend a broken heart If you need to crash then crash and burn You're not alone


"Ya ain't, ya know," Marie assured him with an expression filled with honest emotion as the song continued.

When you feel all alone And a loyal friend is hard to find You're caught in a one way street With the monsters in your head When hopes and dreams are far away and You feel like you can't face the day


Overwhelmed with growing feelings for the woman in his arms, Logan closed his eyes and rested his head on her shoulder. How was it that in such a short time she'd been able to learn so much about him? The song she'd dedicated proved that she knew him better than anyone ever had.

Logan didn't know how he'd ever managed to survive without Marie and he was beginning to believe that there was no way he could continue to survive without her. Nuzzling her neck tenderly, he continued to listen as she sang softly in his ear the rest of the song.

Let me be the one you call If you jump I'll break your fall Lift you up and fly away with you into the night If you need to fall apart I can mend a broken heart If you need to crash then crash and burn You're not alone

Because there has always been heartache and pain And when it's over you'll breath again You'll breath again

When you feel all alone And the world has turned its back on you Give me a moment please To tame your wild, wild heart

Let me be the one you call If you jump I'll break your fall Lift you up and fly away with you into the night If you need to fall apart I can mend a broken heart If you need to crash then crash and burn You're not alone


When the song was over and the band faded to silence while the bar patrons cheered, Logan finally pulled back from Marie. His intense hazel eyes were shining with emotion as he met her gaze.

"You don't know how long it's been since I haven't felt alone, Marie," he informed her softly.

"Ah'm right here, Logan," she assured him as the band blared into another song, that one even more upbeat.

With a nod, Logan took her hand and led her back to the table the others had already returned to.

"I love that song," Ororo exclaimed as they were once again all seated. Turning to Marie she continued. "That is Savage Garden, right?"

"That's right," Marie agreed. "Ah think the X-Men do really good job on their songs."

Jean was nodding. "Yeah, they do great but I like their other singer more. Any chance she'll sing a song or two?"

"Yeah," Scott concurred. "Come on, Marie, what do you say?"

"Ah say shuddup, Scott," she snapped teasingly.

"You sing with them?" Logan was quick to ask.

Marie turned to face him, her cheeks slightly flushed with embarrassment. "Ah ain't that good and Ah usually only sing at charity events."

"Do not let her fool you, Logan," Ororo interrupted. "She has a beautiful voice."

Logan nodded in agreement. "I know, I've heard it," he returned, looking pointedly at Marie. "I'd like to hear more."

"Maybe later," Marie returned before focusing again on the band across the room.

"I'm gonna hold you to that, darlin'," Logan whispered in her ear in response.



As the evening progressed, Logan and Marie continued to get closer. They shared each and every slow dance, sitting out the fast ones at Logan's request. Their chairs kept moving closer together, their bodies following suit. They were constantly holding hands or had their arms wrapped around each other. They spent a lot of time whispering in the others' ear and kissing their cheek, even getting in a few fleeting kisses on the lips.

During their first break, the band had snagged the table next to Marie's groups and they were once again gathered around to rest.

"Y'all are doin' so great t'night," Marie encouraged them from her seat, practically on Logan's lap.

"Yeah," Scott agreed. "Which reminds me of something, Marie. When are you going to grace us with a song?"

"Cool," Jubilee cried, "I was just going to ask you if you'd do a few with us."

Marie threw her brother a dirty look before sweeping her gaze toward Jubilee, her eyes skimming past Logan on the way. It was more than clear in his expression that he wanted to hear her sing as well, although he didn't say anything.

"Well Ah do have one song in mind," Marie informed both groups.

"Great," Bobby replied. "How about first song after the break?"

Glancing around the two tables it was pretty clear that Marie was not about to get out of singing at least one song. "Fine," she agreed her tone a bit harsh. "Then Ah guess Ah better make a trip t' the little girl's room."

"Yeah," Jubilee nodded enthusiastically, bounding from her seat, "I need to go too."

"Probably a good idea before we get back up there," Kitty assented, rising with the other young women.

The three moved together toward the bathroom near the rear of the building. They hadn't made it far before Kitty latched onto Marie's right arm and Jubilee grabbed her left.

"Come on, girl, we've been dying all night to find out where you found Mister Animal Magnetism," Jubilee informed her friend, both ladies leaning in closer to get the scoop as Marie filled them in on how she'd met Logan and how they'd come to be together.

Inside the small bathroom there were only two stalls, one of which was occupied when they arrived. Marie was the first one in and once finished with her business she informed the others she was going back out. After all, they already heard everything she was willing to tell them regarding her relationship with Logan.

Marie had barely made it out the bathroom door when a very low and familiar voice sounded from the shadows behind her.

"Well look who we have here," the man growled. "Long time, no see, Marie."

As she turned and the man stepped from the shadows, Marie started to tremble. He was intimidating across the board. Tall, better then 7 feet, and muscular, he looked like someone you'd see throwing people around in a wrestling ring. His face held a menacing expression and his eyes held hers intensely.

"What're ya doin' here, Victor?" Marie demanded, her voice shaking only slightly. "Ya know ya ain't s'posed t' be around me."

"Well I didn't know you were gonna be here and besides, I was here first," he retorted in a snarl.

"Ah don't see why we can't both stay," she told him, "so long as ya stay t' one side an' don't bother me, then Ah won't bother ya."

Victor Creed studied the young woman in front of him for a moment before his eyes flicked up to the table where her group was waiting. "Looks like your new friend's getting a little anxious," he stated, motioning toward Logan. "Maybe I should just go warn him what he's getting himself into."

"Stay away from him, Victor," Marie nearly shouted. "And stay away from me too!" With that she turned on her heel just as Kitty and Jubilee exited the bathroom and Victor faded back into the shadows.

"Hey, thought you left already?" Kitty asked as her and Jubilee joined Marie.

Doing her best to shake off the altercation, Marie shrugged. "Ah decided t' wait."

Jubilee bounced excitedly as was her way. "So come on, Marie, give. What song are you going to sing to the new love of your life?"

Marie pulled up a few feet short of the two tables they occupied and gathered her friends close before whispering her response.

"Very cool," Jubes squealed as she turned to the rest of the band. "You guys plan on breaking the rest of the night? Let's go, Marie's got a song to sing."

John and Bobby were quick to respond, rising from their seats to follow Kitty and Jubilee to the stage while Marie stood motionless, her eyes locked on Logan's. After a few seconds, he smiled and she winked before turning to accompany her friends.

It didn't take long before everyone was ready for the next set, Marie standing center stage with a microphone in her hand. Her appearance prompted a rousing round of applause from the growing number of customers crowded into the small bar.

"Thank y'all fer that warm welcome," she drawled heavily, obviously a little nervous. "Ah promise Ah won't take up too much a y'alls time t'night, Ah jus' wanna sing a song t' a very special man," Marie said, looking straight at Logan, "ya know who ya're."

With a nod over her shoulder the band began to play and a sweet, beautiful voice that was all Marie started to fill the room.

You're the bravest of hearts, you're the strongest of souls You're the light the dark, you're the place I call home You can say it's all right, but I know that you're breaking up inside I see it in your eyes Even you face the night afraid and alone That's why I'll be there


Keeping her eyes locked on the man a short distance across the room for whom the song was dedicated, Marie continued singing, her voice rising in volume and emotion.

When the storm rises up, when the shadows descend Ev'ry beat of my heart, ev'ry day without end Ev'ry second I live, that's the promise I make Baby, that's what I'll give, if that's what it takes If that's what it takes You can sleep in my arms, you don't have to explain When your heart's crying out, baby, whisper my name 'Cause I've reached out for you when the thunder is crashing up above You've given me your love When your smile like the sun that shines through the pain That's why I'll be there


A well of emotion rose up in Logan as he concentrated on the words of the song along with Marie's incredible voice. Twice now she'd come up with songs that seemed to have been written for them and he wished that he could think of one that spoke to her like her choices were speaking to him.

When the storm rises up, when the shadows descend Ev'ry beat of my heart, ev'ry day without end I will stand like a rock, I will bend till I break Till there's no more to give, if that's what it takes I will risk everything, I will fight, I will bleed I will lay down my life, it that's what you need Ev'ry second I live, that's the promise I make Baby, that's what I'll give, if that's what it takes Through the wind and rain, through the smoke and the fire When the fear rises up, when the waves ever higher I will lay down my heart, my body, my soul I will hold on all night and never let go Ev'ry second I live, that's the promise I make Baby, that's what I'll give, if that's what it takes If that's what it takes Every day If that's what it takes Every day


As she finished the song, her voice still fading from the speakers, Logan was out of his seat and across the space that separated them. He stood before the stage, staring up at her for a moment until she handed the microphone she still held off to Bobby. At that moment, Logan stepped forward, his knees tight against the edge of the stage as he reached out and picked Marie off her feet, pulling her to him as he backed away enough to lower her to the ground.

Marie nervously chewed on her lower lip as she stared into Logan's eyes. Licking her lips and swallowing hard, she prepared as he lowered his head, his lips taking hers in a kiss filled with blinding passion.

All around them the crowd was cheering but Logan and Marie were only aware of each other as their arms wound around and their bodies pressed together. It wasn't until the band started to play the next song that they finally pulled away from each other and returned to their table.

"That was beautiful, Marie," Jean stated, her head resting lightly on Scott's shoulder, a romantic tint to her tone.

"You amaze me every time I hear you," Ororo told her friend.

"Oui, chere," Remy nodded, his eyes wide with shock, "you sing like de angels."

"Thank y'all, really," Marie returned, "but Ah ain't that good."

"Bullshit, darlin'," Logan disagreed loudly, "that was incredible."

Leaning in, Marie kissed him again on the lips, pulling back lightly to whisper, "Thank ya, sugah," her breath hot against his lips.

A thought suddenly came to Logan and he pulled back without thinking, rising to his feet. "I'll be right back, darlin'," he told her quickly. Catching the surprised look in her eyes, he added. "Just need to take care of a little business," Logan said, tilting his head in the direction of the bathroom.

Logan started away, then came back to kiss her lightly on the top of the head before moving away again. Despite the fact that the bathroom was simply a cover, he decided to do just that before his nerves caused an embarrassing accident. Finishing there quickly, Logan moved through the shadows to the side of the stage and drew John's attention. After a quick discussion, Logan skirted back around toward the bathrooms while Allerdyce moved over to talk to Bobby.

Marie looked up to greet Logan as the leader of the band began to speak.

"Ladies and Gentlemen, we have yet another dedication for the night," Bobby informed the patrons. "From Logan to Marie."

Shock blanketed Marie's features as Logan took her hand and pulled her to her feet. All she could do was blink as they made their way to the dance floor and wrapped their arms around each other.

"I can't believe I didn't think of this sooner," Logan started to tell her as the song began.

Maybe it's intuition But some things you just don't question Like in your eyes I see my future in an instant And there it goes I think I've found my best friend I know that it might sound more than a little crazy But I believe

I knew I loved you before I met you I think I dreamed you into life I knew I loved you before I met you I have been waiting all my life


"Last night when I was trying to get to sleep by myself I tried your music solution," Logan continued softly. "When I heard this song it made me think of you and I knew I had to give us a chance."

There's just no rhyme or reason Only this sense of completion And in your eyes I see the missing pieces I'm searching for I think I've found my way home


Marie's eyes filled with tears and her heart pounded with emotion as Logan pulled her closer and whispered in her ear. "I love you, Marie."

I know that it might sound more than a little crazy But I believe

I knew I loved you before I met you I think I dreamed you into life I knew I loved you before I met you I have been waiting all my life A thousand angels dance around you I am complete now that I've found you I knew I loved you before I met you I think I dreamed you into life I knew I loved you before I met you I have been waiting all my life


As the song ended, Marie continued to cling to Logan for several minutes before he finally pushed her back gently, looking deeply in her eyes. He was about to speak when she beat him to it.

"Ah didn't think Ah could ever feel this much for someone Ah jus' met, Logan," Marie said softly, "but Ah love ya too."

For the first time in years, Logan finally felt something more than hate, more even then he had upon seeing Scott in that alley. Despite the fact that it had only been a few days, it seemed as though he'd known Marie his whole life. His heart was pounding wildly as his lips curled into a smile at her admission.

"Well, well, ain't that just the sweetest thing I ever saw?" Victor Creed sneered from a few feet away, having moved up on them while they were talking.

"Leave me alone, Victor, or Ah'm gonna call the police," Marie threatened sharply over her shoulder as she started to push Logan back toward their table.

"Maybe I wanna talk to your boyfriend here first," Victor continued unceasingly. "Tell him man to man what he's getting into with you."

Logan's brows drew together sharply, his eyes rolling up to look at the man towering a good two feet above him, his lip curling into a snarl. "What I'm getting into is none of your fucking business, bub," he retorted angrily. "Now I suggest you do as the lady said and leave her alone or you'll have more to deal with than the police."

"Lady," Victor barked with laughter, flicking his eyes to Marie, "that's a good one. And as for your threat," he continued, moving closer and staring menacingly down at Logan, "I ain't the least bit concerned about dealing with a runt like you."


"Is there a problem here, gentlemen?" Scott asked, suddenly at Logan's side. "Creed, I think it's time you left."

"Like de homme say," Remy stepped up as well, making his presence known.

The towering hulk of a man just smiled a sort of animalistic sneer. "Now this could be fun," he growled, taking a swing at Remy and catching him slightly off guard.

The Cajun went down but was right back up again, looking for an opening to join Scott and Logan in the skirmish. As it turned out, he was in just the right position to catch Scott as he stumbled away from a savage blow to the temple.

"Scott," Jean shouted, rushing to his side to check on him as Remy lowered him into a chair.

"I'm all right," he snapped, trying to rise again to help Logan. When Scott looked back however, it was clear that Logan was living up to his nickname and didn't need any help despite the fact that the other man had two feet and a good 100 pounds on him.

Ororo was busy comforting a near hysterical Marie as they watched the battle, Kitty and Jubilee right there as well. Remy and almost every other man in the bar, including the young men from the band, were standing at the sidelines, ready to step in and assist Logan should the need arise.

In some ways it was like watching a battle in the wild between a bear and a wolverine. It wasn't always a matter of size but of technique and tenacity and in those areas, Logan had a clear advantage.

With memories of what had been done to him so fresh, Logan used his pain and hatred to fuel the fire that buried deep inside. This fight presented an opportunity to release those feelings and perhaps let things go. A way to expel thoughts and feelings that were keeping him from being the man he wanted to be - at least where Marie was concerned.

Even at that Victor didn't seem to be in any hurry to let it end, no doubt a matter of pride having someone of Logan's stature kicking the shit out of him. It was several more minutes before a well-placed, right cross, sent the larger man to the floor in a heap.

His blood still pumping to the extreme, Logan couldn't keep himself from getting in that one last lick for what he'd said about Marie. Lifting his leg, he brought the heel of his boot down in the middle of the other man's chest with enough force to break ribs. The sound would have been thoroughly satisfying if it hadn't been that while Logan was bring his foot down, Victor had unsheathed a knife, lifting it up at the same time. The three-inch blade tore into the tender flesh at the junction of Logan's pelvis and thigh, less than an inch from his genitals.

Logan fell back from the force of the blow, landing on his ass a few feet away. He clenched his jaw tightly in pain as his hand cradled the area, the knife still jutting out from flesh and bone.

A mob of men moved forward to restrain Creed while Marie ran to Logan's side, cradling his head in her lap, screaming for Jean as she went.

Jean hadn't needed any prompting, dropping in full doctor mode at Logan's side at the same time as Marie. "Don't touch it!" she yelled at him when it looked like he was trying to remove the blade. Moving as gently as possible, Jean slid a thick wool scarf between his thigh and the floor then tied it as close to the knife as possible in an effort to try to stop the bleeding.

"Scott, Remy," Jean shouted to the others, "we need to get him to the truck. He needs to get to a hospital as soon as possible."

"Hang on, sugah," Marie was sobbing, kissing Logan at various points on his forehead. "We'll get ya t' the hospital an' they'll fix ya right up."

"No hospital," Logan ordered through clenched teeth as Scott and Remy moved up to lift him.

"It's okay, buddy, Jean'll take care of you," Scott assured him, knowing his aversion to doctors after his previous experiences.

"No fucking hospital, Scott," he returned more adamantly.

Marie looked to her brother for answers, not understanding why he wouldn't go for treatment. The fact that Scott quickly looked away from her was not lost. "Logan, they need t' fix ya up, sugah. Ah'll be right there the whole time."

Closing his eyes and taking a couple of slow breaths, Logan worked to keep his voice soft and level. "I don't wanna go to any hospital, Marie. Jean can take care of it at the house," he concluded, looking to the doctor.

"Logan," Jean shook her head, "this could be very serious and it may very well require surgery. I can't do that at the house. We need to get you to a hospital with the proper equipment and personnel."

"I'm not going to the hospital!" Logan growled in a tone that left little room for argument.

"Jean?" Scott prompted, he was by no means a doctor but he did know they had to get him somewhere.

"Jeannie," Marie's emotional voice reached her, "please, he don' wanna go."

Torn between carrying out a patient's wishes and knowing that doing so may cost him his life, Jean made a decision. "Let's get him to the truck," she ordered.

Logan, not knowing what her choice was, grabbed Jean's hand and held it tightly within his as he met her gaze. "No hospital, Jeannie ... please?"

"Okay, Logan, no hospital," she agreed, adding a little something beneath her breath. "For now."

"Do you need some more help?" Bobby asked as he and John gathered around where Scott and Remy were about to lift Logan.

"Yes," Jean was quick to respond, directing the four men to strategic positions so they could move Logan with as little jostling as possible.

Ororo and Jubilee had to fight to pull Marie away so that the men could get him outside.

"You guys should take the van," Kitty suggested as she followed along with the others out the back door.

Jean graciously accepted, leading the way with a tilt of her head. "Marie," the older woman called, gesturing for her to get in first since she knew that she'd be calmer if she was with Logan.

Pulling herself from the arms of her friends, Marie climbed into the empty cargo area of the van and situated herself in the corner. As the men slid Logan in after her, Kitty, Jubilee and Ororo climbed into the back seat to be close to their friend. Jean piled in after her patient, meeting Scott's gaze as she leaned back for the door.

"Take it easy, Scott," she instructed softly. "As smooth as possible."

Scott nodded quickly, locking eyes with Logan for a moment before slamming the doors shut and heading around to the driver's door, passing keys to Bobby as he went.

"We'll meet you at the house then?" the younger man asked, obviously surprised that they weren't headed for the hospital.

"The house," Scott verified from the window as he pulled slowly away from the bar.

The short drive back to Marie's house was made in near total silence. Only the sound of carefully controlled breathing and the occasional groan, both from Logan, and the soft sobs from Marie were all that could be heard.

Her makeshift bandage obviously not doing its job, Jean was forced to add additional pressure to the wound with her hands. With a heavy sigh, she looked to Logan, meeting defiant eyes and despite her gut feelings, refrained from suggesting again that they head to the hospital.

Pulling into the driveway and taking it incredibly slow down the bumpy road, Scott divided his time between watching the road and staring into the rearview mirror, not that he could see anything through it. Finally reaching the house at the end of the long drive, he maneuvered around so that he could park the van with the back doors facing the house.

Remy was quick to exit the passenger door to help Scott carry Logan inside, each of the men tearing open a back door as the women exited the side.

"Jubilee, Kitty," Jean started barking orders as she, Scott and Remy shifted Logan around to get good holds, "make sure the kitchen table is empty and try to get a clean cover on it.

The two young women each nodded before turning toward the house to carry out their task.

"'Ro, in the trunk of my car is my surgical bag and a case of medical supplies," the doctor informed her.

"I got it," Ororo assured Jean over her shoulder as she hurried for the car.

"Okay, careful guys," the doctor instructed as they hefted Logan from the floor of the van.

Marie scrambled out behind him, quickly taking up part of the burden as they moved toward the house.

Inside the girls had things set up in the kitchen. They had even gone as far as removing all the dining chairs from around the table and positioning the table itself in the center of the room, beneath the brightest source of light.

Kitty and Jubilee were not above getting a little bloody and moved up to help the others lift Logan to the top of the table, lowering him gently.

Ororo was right behind them with Jean's bags, setting them down on the nearby buffet.

"Marie?" Jean called sharply to get her attention. "Antibacterial soap?"

"Uh ... in the kitchen," Marie stammered before returning her attention to whispering softly to Logan as she petted and kissed his face.

"Scott," his wife summoned, walking toward the sink. Jean waited until he was beside her before she continued in a low voice. "I'm going to need you and Marie to help me if you think she's up to it."

"What do you need?" Scott wanted to know before making a decision. He knew his sister was a strong person but she was very deeply affected by what had happened. In addition to that, there was the consideration of Logan's feelings depending on what Marie might see.

"I'm going to need you to hold him down while I work and Marie to help me with the wound," she told him.

"No," Scott stated abruptly, "we'll have to do it some other way. I don't think Marie should be in here."

"Ororo?" Jean suggested.

Scott released a heavy sigh, he couldn't hide Logan's secret much longer but he could do his best to preserve his friend's dignity. "Jean, I think I'm the only one Logan's going to let help you with the wound."

"Scott," she protested, "I need you to hold him still."

"Remy's going to have to do it," Scott returned. "I'm sure he'll be fine."

Jean stared at her husband incredulously as she scrubbed her hands with the soap she'd found. Finally with a shake of her head, she turned to look at the group. "Remy," she called out, indicating that he should join her and Scott.

The Cajun was quick to hurry over. "Oui?"

"I need you and Scott to help me," Jean told him. "You both need to get washed up."

The men nodded their understanding and went about carrying out their instructions while the doctor moved back to the dining room. "'Ro, in the case there should be a sterile towel."

The weather lady found the item in question with little guidance and handed it to Jean. After drying her hands, she donned a pair of latex surgical gloves then instructed Scott and Remy on doing the same.

"Okay, I need room to work here," Jean told the others in a surprisingly sharp tone. "'Ro, would you take Marie and the girls into the other room please?"

"Ah'm stayin' with Logan," Marie objected soundly.

Jean turned to face her sister-in-law. "You'll only be in the way, Marie."

Tears streaming down her face, Marie shook her head. "Ah ain't leavin'."

"It's all right, darlin'," Logan assured her through clenched teeth. "Jean's right, you go on and I'll see you soon."

Marie continued to shake her head, her brows furrowing with deep-seeded emotion. "Ah wanna stay with ya," she sobbed.

Fighting to keep his eyes open, Logan met her gaze with pleading eyes. "Please, darlin'. If you stay I'll have to be brave for you and I'm not sure I have the strength."

Closing her own eyes tightly, causing tears to pour from the corners, Marie leaned in and kissed him gently on the lips. "Ah love ya, Logan."

"I love you, Marie," he returned, his words trembling with pain and emotion. "Don't worry, darlin', I have somethin' to fight for now."

Kissing him once more, Marie allowed Kitty and Jubilee to lead her from the room, Ororo following close behind them.

Handing over a pair of scissors to Scott and instructing him to cut off Logan's pants, Jean went about laying out her equipment as she gave Remy orders to hold the patient down.

Scott was not at all prepared for what he uncovered despite the fact that he had at least some idea what to expect. He had to give his wife credit for not reacting at first sight to the horribly scared groin area of her patient. Scott could see the pain and rage in her eyes but she didn't show even the slightest sign of fear or pity.

Logan was watching her closely as well, completely prepared for a scream or a gasp or just a sour expression, but Jean was a professional and he was her patient.

With a glance at Remy, Jean indicated with a nod of her head that he should start restraining him. Moments later, she was administering the first in a series of shots to deaden the area around which she'd be working. Immediately following that, she went to work; there wasn't a moment to spare considering the severe blood loss Logan was suffering.



By the time Jean had the bleeding stopped and Logan patched up, she had a much better idea of the horrors he'd faced in captivity. As a doctor she'd seen her share of serious injuries but nothing compared to the sight of Logan's thrashed body. In fact Jean was amazed that he'd survived the wounds much less was able to maintain his mental faculties through the ordeal.

Once she was done with her task, having lost track of the number of both internal and external stitches it took to seal him up, Jean got Logan cleaned up and bandaged before having Remy and Scott take him to his room. She made sure he was comfortable and well settled before moving to join the others.

With one final backward glance at her patient, Jean moved from the room. As soon as the door was closed between her and Logan, she collapsed back against the wall from the emotional weight of it all. Tears spilled from tightly clenched eyelids for a moment before Jean regained control. There was a time for that sort of release but that moment was not it.

Taking a deep, cleansing breath, Jean pushed off the wall and moved toward the living room where she knew everyone was waiting. She allowed herself another couple of calming breaths before opening the door in front of her.

It was no surprise that Marie reacted first, jumping out of her seat and hurrying across the room. "How is he?" she demanded, her concern obvious in the harsh tone.

"I've stopped the bleeding for the moment," Jean began to explain, "but I don't know for how long."

Marie's eyes widened and tears began to stream unbidden down her face. "Is he gonna be awl right?" This time instead of the sharp demand, her question was little more than a low whisper.

Jean felt helpless as she shrugged her shoulders. "Marie, I don't know the full extent of his injuries," she stated helplessly. "I've done all I can here though. Logan really needs to go to a hospital for evaluation and proper treatment.

"He don' wanna go, Jean," Marie reminded her. "He don't like doctors."

"I know, Marie, but this is a serious situation. If there's something more wrong, which is very possible considering the depth of the wound, then Logan could die."

A sobbing sigh escaped Marie's mouth as the rest of the group looked on in silent empathy. "Can Ah see 'im?" she asked, sniffling against the runny nose caused by her tears.

Slowly Jean nodded. "He was asking for you," she informed the younger woman.

Without further comment or question, the southern belle hurried from the room, leaving the others to the deafening silence.

Her affirmative nod quickly switching to a negative shake, Jean turned to her husband with a tired sigh. She met his gaze for a brief time before she focused on Ororo and Remy. "You guys should go ahead and get some sleep," the doctor suggested.

Remy deferred to 'Ro and at her nod, rose from his seat then offered her his hand.

"You look exhausted, Jeannie," the dark-skinned woman observed as she stopped at her friend's side. "You should try to rest as well," she added before shifting her gaze to Scott, "both of you."

Scott responded with a nod, rising from his own chair to wrap an arm around his wife. "We will," he assured Ororo. "Thanks for sitting up with Marie."

A sad smile graced the woman's lips. "You do not have to thank me for that, Scott," she insisted, moving a hand to his shoulder and giving it a comforting squeeze. "Good night."

Jean tried to muster a smile but the attempt fell short - by a lot.

"Thank you guys too," Scott said, turning to face Marie's younger friends. "Why don't you take my car tonight and I'll get the van cleaned up tomorrow."

Bobby nodded in agreement but didn't speak.

"Will you call if Marie needs anything?" Jubilee asked softly, in sharp contrast to her usual demanding demeanor.

"Of course we will," Jean assured her. "You guys be careful going home."

"We will, Mrs. Summers," Kitty returned quietly.

Scott and Jean watched them leave before shutting up the house and heading for their room.

"You want to shower first?" Scott asked taking in Jean's bloodstained appearance before glancing at his own.

Slowly Jean shook her head. "You go ahead," she told him in a tired tone.

"I won't be long," he informed her before making his way to the small, adjoining private bathroom.

Jean managed to hold herself together until her husband disappeared into the other room. At that point she collapsed back onto the bed, her head falling into her hands. Even then she managed to hold back the sobs until she heard the shower start. Jean wasn't sure how she'd ever stop the tears. Granted she hadn't known Logan that long but already he felt like part of the family and to see, first hand, the evidence of what had been done to him left her feeling sick.

"Jean, do you..." Scott's question died in his throat as he stepped from the bathroom, still in his boxers, and saw Jean. "Baby, what's wrong?" he asked instead, dropping to his knees before her and pulling her to his chest.

Wrapping her arms around him, Jean buried her wet face in the crook of his shoulder and sobbed uncontrollably. In all her years as a doctor she'd never broken down like that before so she didn't know how to handle it.

"My God, Jeannie, you're shaking," Scott stated, frightened that something was wrong. "What is it, sweetheart?"

"What they ... did," she cried. "Scott ... I don't know how he survived it all."

Pulling her closer, Scott bobbed his head minutely. "I know, Jean, but Logan's a survivor. All you have to do is look at him to see that."

Jean pushed away from her husband's solid chest enough so she could look at him. "You knew... Is that ... is that why you couldn't last night?"

Sitting back on his heels, Scott relayed to her the conversation he and Logan had regarding Marie. He spared no detail in the telling of the tale or how it was that he couldn't close his eyes without putting himself in Logan's place.

Now it was Jean's turn to comfort her husband. Sliding from the bed to the floor, she knelt before him, pulling him into an embrace and holding him tightly.



For the first time since that first accidental night when she fell asleep in Logan's room, Marie found herself wide awake, staring at the ceiling. She couldn't get the sight of all that blood out of her mind no matter how many times she looked at the man sleeping beside her.

The night's events played through her mind once again, especially Logan's adamant refusal to go to the hospital. Jean, who'd done all she could, continued to encourage him along those lines but still he'd refused. As Marie turned on her side and focused on Logan's ruggedly handsome features, she wondered, after everything that had happened before the fight, if a request from her might change his mind. She'd backed his decision, albeit reluctantly, to Jean and Scott because she didn't want to risk destroying the relationship her and Logan were building. Marie had planned to discuss it with him in private, asking him to reconsider and at least get patched up properly but he'd fallen asleep before she had a chance to bring it up.

Resigning herself to what she figured wouldn't be a very pleasant battle, Marie slowly reached a hand out, resting it lightly on Logan's chest as she called out to him. Jean had told her that it was important to wake him every so often to make sure he was lucid and Marie figured she could address the other at the same time. There was only one problem with that - Logan didn't respond to her.

"Logan?" Marie repeated a little louder, moving her hand slightly in the hopes of drawing his attention. She knew him to be a pretty light sleeper so the fact that he didn't respond a second time was setting her on edge. Rising up on her elbow, Marie gave him a quick jerk as she called to him once more.

Marie felt a terrible panic rise up inside of her as, like twice before, Logan failed to respond. "Jean," she yelled loudly as she slid from beneath the covers and reached for the light.

Jean and Scott were at the door before the room was fully lit, the former moving to check on Logan while the latter stepped to Marie's side, wrapping a comforting arm around him.

"Logan?" Jean practically shouted in his face as she brushed her knuckles against his forehead to check his temperature. When she received no response, she pulled back the blankets covering him and, taking into account his lower than normal temperature, she wasn't surprised to find the sheets and mattress saturated with blood.

"Oh mah Gawd!" Marie wailed at the sight before her.

"Jean?" Scott demanded, his own voice nearing frantic levels.

"Damn it," the doctor cursed loudly to no one in particular, "he's bleeding out. We need to get him to a trauma center right now. Marie, does Xavier still have a pilot on call?"

Unable to coherently form words, Marie did manage to nod her head in response to Jean's question.

"Scott, come here," his wife ordered sharply. When he complied, she grabbed his hand and pressed it firmly into Logan's groin. "Keep pressure right here and don't let up. Marie, get on the phone to Xavier, tell him we need that helicopter here ASAP."

Again she bobbed her head, staring at Logan for a final moment before hurrying from the room.

Jean was right on her heels, running back down the hallway toward her own room, nearly slamming into Ororo as she went. Ignoring the slew of questions being thrown her way, Jean rushed into the guestroom and quickly took up her cell phone, punching in a familiar series of numbers.

"Hank," she cried excitedly into the phone, "yeah, it's me. Listen, I have a major trauma case here and I need you to have an OR standing by. We're going to need at least 10 units of O-neg set up on a rapid infuser. Yes, that's what I said. I know Hank but this guy is a survivor and I'll be damn if I'm going to let him die now. Yeah, I'll keep you posted and we should see you in 10 to 15 minutes. Okay, yeah. Thanks, Hank."

Rushing back to the other bedroom where the house's entire population had gathered, Jean looked to Marie.

"It's on the way," she stated, her voice trembling fiercely. "Is he gonna be awl right, Jeannie?"

"I'll do my best to make sure he is," Jean assured her as the thundering sound of a helicopter approached the house.



For two days Marie refused to sleep, or leave Logan's room at all for that matter, vowing to be there when he woke up. It was in the early morning hours of the third day that she finally succumbed to sleep, slumped forward in the chair beside his bed.

As Logan fought the grogginess that was threatening to once again drag him down beneath the murky water of unconsciousness, the first thing he became fully aware of was the silky feel of something against his shoulder. Slowly he began to notice other sensations, a warm, soft hand covering his own, a half dozen beeping and whirling sounds surrounding him.

It took almost as much strength as he had to force his eyes open, only to have to close them again against the spinning of the room around him. Logan groaned loudly, raising his free hand to probe his head. At his side, the source of the silky substance moved and he turned his head slightly, immediately to be assaulted by the familiar smell of strawberry and kiwi.

Tilting his head down, he buried his nose in what he knew to be Marie's hair and inhaled deeply. He felt like he was moving through water, as everything he tried took more energy then it should have. Slowly though he managed to curl his fingers around those covering his and offered them a slight squeeze.

Marie felt the return of pressure on her fingers but it took a moment for her sleep-deprived brain to realize what it was. Her eyes flew open suddenly and she jerked upright in her seat, staring down into glassy but open eyes.

"Logan," she sobbed, leaning in to wrap her arms around him, her face pressing against his neck. "Ah've been so worried, sugah."

Logan could feel her tears wetting his neck and chest and quickly curled his arms around her. "Hey now, darlin', I'm okay," he told her. "You didn't think you were gonna get rid of me that easily did you?"

"Ah did almost lose ya, Logan," Marie insisted emotionally. "Jean said if Ah hadn't tried t' wake ya when Ah did, ya wouldn't a made it."

Finally able to take the now mild spinning of the room he was in, Logan realized for the first time where he was. Fear ceased his heart for the briefest of moments before he calmed. Marie was with him and nothing bad was going to happen as long as she was.

"Shh, baby, it's okay," Logan soothed, his hand gently stroking her back. "I'm all right, Marie."

All Marie could do was close her eyes in relief, her tears continuing to run down his neck and pool on his chest.

They remained that way for what seemed like hours, just holding each other. It was actually only a few minutes before Logan once again forced his eyes open and took in the extremely uncomfortable position Marie was in.

Moving his hands to her shoulders, he pushed her back gently then carefully repositioned himself on the small hospital bed to make some room at his side. Without a word he lifted the blanket in invitation, the task an obvious effort.

With a watery smile, Marie kicked off her shoes and very carefully stretched out at his side. Immediately she took the position she'd been emulating from the chair, resting her head once again on his chest.

Logan's arms went around her instantly as he pressed his face to the top of her head. Neither of them had the strength to talk so that was shelved for later. There was plenty of time for discussion when they were more fully rested and coherent.

They were still maintaining that position when Jean and Scott found them some time later, having come in so she could check her patient. By that time, they were both asleep again, Marie's head on his chest with Logan's arms wrapped around her, his face buried in her hair.

Scott watched them from the doorway while his wife moved forward to examine Logan. Once again he was struck by the immediate closeness that had developed between his old buddy and his half sister. He had never seen two people take to each other the way Logan and Marie had. The thing of it was, he knew, somewhere deep inside his soul, that the two belonged together. There was not a doubt in Scott's mind on that score.

As she moved across the room, Jean also kept her attention focused on the couple. A small smile played at the corners of her mouth as she stopped opposite Marie.

Movement from near the door drew her attention and Jean looked up to find Scott silently gesturing that he'd be outside. He didn't want to run the chance of waking Marie since she'd finally been able to rest.

The doctor waited until her husband was gone before checking again to make sure Marie was asleep. Satisfied that she was, Jean carefully lifted the blanket covering Logan's right side. Focusing her attention on the examination of the wound she'd spent a couple of hours repairing, she didn't notice when a pair of eyes came opened.

Severe worry still affecting her ability to sleep, Marie came awake silently. She was about to speak to Jean, her eyes moving to see what her sister in law was doing when she saw more than she should have. Tears sprang to her eyes as she fully realized the extent of the torture Logan had suffered as a prisoner of war.

Marie's soft sob drew Jean's attention and looking up she met dark eyes sparkling with tears. The doctor attempted to cover her patient but at that point it was really useless, Marie had already seen the worst of it, there was nothing to hide now.

Jean searched the younger woman's eyes for the pity or disgust that Scott had explained was the norm upon seeing Logan's ravaged groin but not surprisingly, she only saw love. Well, love tempered with a not unreasonable amount of hatred for the bastards that had hurt him.



Over the next several days, Logan continued to sleep the majority of the time as his body worked to repair and rebuild damaged and destroyed tissue. Marie remained at his side through out, learning from Jean how to clean and inspect the wound as well as what to look for in terms of infection and so forth. In fact, she'd picked it up so well that Jean felt confident in cutting back her visits to allow Marie to tend to Logan for the most part.

Jean knew that some of the nurses didn't approve and many were not shy about voicing their concerns but the doctor made it very clear that her orders were to be followed. She was certain that Logan would have rather had someone who obviously cared about him taking care of him rather than having the entire hospital staff spreading his business around. Of course Jean knew that at first Logan was very likely to be upset that Marie had discovered his secret.

Actually the revelation went a long way in answering questions as to Logan's reluctance to become involved with her. Marie had spoken to both Jean and Scott regarding the situation once it was clear that they knew more than they had shared with her. Both had insisted that it was Logan's place to tell her the story and also stated that it would be a good idea for her to level with him as well.

Marie had spent hour upon hour trying to determine the best way to tell Logan her own darkest secret, the reason she laid awake at night, afraid to close her eyes in the darkness. Having happened in Mississippi some time ago, only Scott and Jean knew the whole story and while she wanted to tell Logan everything, it was hard having to drudge it all back up again.

Hell, it wasn't like the whole incident with Victor in the bar hadn't been enough of a reminder. Still, remembering what happened and talking about it were two very different things. All she could hope was that Logan would understand - her biggest fear was that he wouldn't.

As she had been doing for days, since her discussions with Scott and Jean, Marie used the need to check Logan as a means of distraction from her thoughts. Moving from her seat, she walked around to the far side of the bed.

Reaching out, Marie grabbed the blanket and started to pull it back when Logan's hand sprang suddenly from the bed and tightly ceased her wrist. Startled she shifted her gaze to his face to find him looking at her with wild fear in his wide eyes.

"What are you doing?" he demanded, his voice gruff and harsh from both sleep and panic.

"It's awl right, sugah," she assured him, moving her free hand to cover the fingers wrapped so tightly around her wrist. "Ah jus' need t' check yer bandage again."

"Again?" Logan growled, his nostrils flaring widely with a growing rage.

Marie shifted her position, moving her left hand to his face to tenderly trace the line of his jaw. "Don' be mad, Logan," she said softly. "Jean thought ya'd be more comfortable with me than with half the staff of the hospital." Realizing that was not helping to ease his rage, Marie continued quickly. "She didn't mean t' lemme see, Logan. D'ya 'member when ya first woke up an' ya had me crawl in bed with ya? Well Jeannie came in after that t' check ya an' Ah woke up while she's here."

His jaw clenched tightly, Logan simply stared at her for a moment before finally speaking. "So why are you still here?"

"Wha' d'ya mean?" Marie asked, her forehead wrinkling in confusion. As she stared at him however, realization dawned. Shaking her head slowly, her eyes shining with gathering tears, her reply was little more than a whisper. "It doesn't matter, Logan. Did ya really think it would?"

"Given what you know now, you have to realize I ain't exactly prime boyfriend material, Marie," Logan retorted a little more calmly.

"Ah love ya, Logan," Marie insisted firmly. "We can work through it."

A keen sense of self-preservation kicked into full force. "There's nothing to work through, Marie. It doesn't work that's the problem," he shouted angrily. Logan felt it was better to force her away now than it would be to believe what she was saying now only to have her get frustrated later and leave.

Somewhere inside of her, she knew what he was doing and she responded just as harshly. "An' like Ah think Ah said before, Ah ain't in this fer the sex, Logan. Ah got mah own hang ups where that's concerned."

Logan could feel the pain rolling off Marie at her last statement, his rage quickly transforming to concern as her eyes filled with tears. "What are you talking about, Marie?" he asked softly. Releasing her wrist finally, his hand slid down to wrap around hers.

Marie closed her eyes as she continued to stand there at Logan's side, her hand trapped in his. After a moment, she looked at him and the questions in his eyes were almost more than she could take. Pulling her hand free of his, she turned and walked to the window on the other side of the room.

Wrapping her arms around herself in a comforting gesture, Marie simply stared out the window for several minutes in silent consideration before she spoke. When she did her voice was so quiet that Logan had to strain to hear her.

"Before Ah left Mississippi, Ah had a boyfriend," she began with a whisper, her back still turned to him. "We'd been goin' out fer a couple a years an' it got t' the point that he wanted thin's Ah wadn't ready fer..."

A long pause followed her statement, almost long enough for Logan to prompt her but she continued before he had a chance. "He started t' press me t' do thin's Ah didn't wanna do. We had a big fight an' Ah tol' 'im that if that was awl he wanted then he oughta jus' find someone else." A soft snort escaped Marie's nose as her explanation went on. "An' awl this happened right after mah mama died. Anyway, we broke up an' Ah thought it was over..."

This time the pause was much longer and from his position on the bed, Logan could hear her sobs as well as see her small frame trembling with emotion. He waited as long as he could before he called her name, only to be cut off before he could say any more.

"Ah woke up one night t' find 'im in mah bedroom," Marie told Logan, her voice shaking so badly it was almost impossible to make out the words. "He was in mah bed ... on top a me..."

A feral, blinding rage suddenly overwhelmed Logan and he wanted nothing more than to get out of his bed and kill the bastard. Only Marie's sobs kept the beast that had developed inside of him from breaking out. His breathing harsh and loud from the fury he was experiencing, Logan reached out toward the young woman across the room. "Marie," he called tenderly.

It was some time before she turned to face him. Seeing him reaching out to her lightened her heart if only for the briefest of moments. In the next instant, Marie shook her head and turned back to the window.

Thinking her refusal to come to him was a product of what that fuckhead boyfriend of hers had done to her, Logan let it go. "Marie," he tried again, speaking softly with a special tenderness in his tone that he would have never though possible from him. "Why didn't you tell me that you were raped?"

"Ah wadn't," she returned almost inaudibly without offering any more information.

"But..." once again Logan started to question her only to be cut off.

Marie went on as though he had never spoken, her eyes pressed tightly closed even as she faced the window. "He tried but Ah woke up 'fore he got started. We fought an'... Ah don' even really know where the knife came from but suddenly it was in mah hand an' he wouldn't stop," she sobbed loudly. "He's hurtin' me an' he wouldn't stop."

Slowly she opened her eyes, turning to face Logan as she finished. "Ah killed 'im."

Relief washed over Logan that she hadn't been defiled in such a way. Of course he was sorry that the bastard wasn't alive so he could have castrated the little fucker before he killed him.

"Ah killed 'im, Logan, an' he was someone Ah thought Ah loved," she stated, a dangerous self-loathing creeping into her tone.

"Marie, come here," he commanded crisply.

All she could do was close her eyes as guilt over the situation and fear of losing someone she really loved threatened to overwhelm her. "Ah'm poison, Logan."

"You ain't poison, darlin'," Logan refuted sharply. "You rightfully killed some little prick for trying to take something that you weren't ready to give. That doesn't make you poison."

"Every man Ah've gotten close t' has only gotten hurt," Marie tried to explain. "Even you."

Logan snorted softly, shaking his head. "Marie, this wasn't your fault, darlin'. I'm the one that was fighting. It didn't have anything to do with you."

Her tears renewed at the mention on the fight, she simply nodded. "But it did, Logan. Ya see Victor's Morty's friend an' he thought Ah shoulda gone t' jail fer killin' 'im."

Well that piece of information answered a few questions but it didn't change anything where Logan was concerned. "Marie, please come here," he called in a tender tone.

Her response was a quick shake of her head.

Without thought of what he was doing, only thinking of getting to Marie, Logan threw back the blankets covering him and started to scoot his way toward the side of the bed.

"What're ya doin'?" Marie demanded, watching him closely.

"If you ain't gonna come to me than I'm gonna have to go to you," Logan told her, gritting his teeth as he swung his legs over the side of the bed.

Instantly Marie was in motion, rushing to his side and carefully forcing him back into bed. "Stop it now, ya're gonna hurt yaself."

Logan didn't even let her get him settled before he grabbed her, pulling her toward him until she sat at the edge of the bed. "Marie, I could give a damn about myself, I'm more concerned about you right now," he informed her, gently cradling her head in his hands, his eyes locked on hers.

"Ah'm fine, Logan," Marie said, trying to sound convincing without much success.

"You're not fine, Marie," Logan insisted passionately. "What can I do to make you see that you're not poison? You did what you had to do to survive in the situation you found yourself in."

"What can ya do?" she asked, turning the question around on him. "Ya can let me help you. Ya're the only man Ah ever felt with aside from Scott. Ah love ya, Logan, an' Ah wanna help ya. Ah wanna take care a ya an' help ya get better."

"Jesus, darlin', you don't know what you're saying. Marie it may never happen, do you really want to tie yourself to me knowing that?" Logan asked hopefully.

"Ah love ya, Logan," Marie told him again. "Ah wanna be with ya, nothin' else matters."

He stared at her for a long time trying to find something in her eyes or expression that would give him an out but there was nothing but openness and honesty. "I love you too, Marie," he admitted again, his decision made.



From his position leaning back against the headrest of the hospital bed, Logan glanced at Marie, sitting silently at his side. Tightening his grip on her hand, he lifted his eyes to meet those of Scott and Jean.

"So you about ready to get out of here?" Scott asked, obviously pleased that Logan was finally being released.

"What do you think, Cyke?" he teased, releasing a nervous chuckle.

"Well someone is certainly feeling a little feisty today," Jean commented with a smile, looking pointedly at Marie.

"Yeah," Scott agreed with a mock enthusiasm, "I can hardly wait to get him home so I can listen to this abuse 24/7."

Again Logan's eyes flicked to Marie. "I wanna talk to you about," Logan informed them, pausing to clear his throat.

Scott's brows furrowed questioningly as he looked from his friend to his sister. "What's there to talk about?"

Jean only needed a quick look at the couple to know what was coming but of course she was a woman. A broad smile blanketed her features as she waited for the official announcement.

"Uh..." Logan cleared his throat once more before continuing. "I'm not gonna be staying in the city with you, Scott. I'm ... I'm gonna go home with Marie."

"You are?" Scott queried, coming off like it was some big surprise.

"Yeah," Logan returned nervously. He knew Scott was all for them seeing each other he didn't just didn't know that he wanted them seeing so much of each other. "Listen, Scott, I know this has all happened really fast but ... well I love your sister and for some reason that I can't explain, she wants to take care of me. And I ... well, I wanna take care of her too."

Crossing his arms over his chest and pressing his lips into a thin line, Scott simply stared at Logan for a moment. Slowly the corners of his mouth curled into a smile and he laughed lightly. "Well its about damn time you too decided that," he told him, rising from his seat to wrap them both in hug.

Her smile growing as well, Jean moved to the other side of Logan's hospital bed and joined the group hug.



Slowly the scene in the hospital began to fade until the X-Men found themselves once again in the living room of Chris' place, their hands still joining them together. No one spoke as they all got their bearings back and glanced around at their teammates in wonder.

Logan was the only exception to that. Ripping his hands free from the women on either side of him, he stared straight ahead, glaring at a stop over Scott's shoulder on the far wall. Even at that he could feel the others' eyes settling upon him at various intervals and with increasing intensity.

True to his role as leader, Scott was the first to speak. Looking to Chris he asked the question that was on everyone's mind. "That's what the professor wanted you to show us?" Despite his best effort, anger was clear in his tone.

"I think the message was clear," Chris replied, glancing around at each person in turn. "What you choose to glean from that is up to each of you."

"This was a fucking waste of time," Logan growled, bolting from his seat and starting for the door. "Anyone who doesn't wanna walk better get their ass in gear."

Being that Logan was now a qualified pilot as far as the Blackbird was concerned, the group rose almost as one, Cyclops being the first to follow Logan with a silent look at Chris. It very clear in his expression that he fully agreed with the other man's opinion, the women it seemed had a different view.

"Thank you, Chris," Jean said softly, meeting the woman's thoughtful, dark gaze. "There were some interesting parallels in that line."

"As is the usual," Chris replied with a slight nod.

"I would be interested in perhaps seeing more another time," Ororo informed her hostess.

Chris had known she would. "Of course, Storm," she concurred happily. "At your convenience."

"Thank you," the weather goddess returned before moving toward the door.

"Rogue," Jean called to the younger woman who had yet to move from the couch, her expression one of shock. It took a tiny mental nudge before Rogue snapped out of it and rose to her feet, moving to stand with other women.

"Any of you are welcome to come back," Chris told him, her eyes lingering on Rogue, "any time."

"We may take you up on that," Jean said with a smile, "but right now we better go unless we want to walk. Thank you again, Chris, it was very enlightening."

Once the ladies left Chris' presence, they once again fell into silence, each of them considering their own thoughts. That was pretty much how everyone spent the entire return trip aside from an occasional muttered curse or low growl coming from Logan's direction.



Scott barely had the Blackbird on the ground before Logan was storming off the aircraft. They all knew where he was headed too.

Leaving the cleanup for later, the rest of the group hurried to catch up with the angry Wolverine. Scott in particular wanted to be there as he had a few choice words for his mentor as well. He couldn't believe that Xavier would pass off such a farce as a legitimate mission.

As Scott, Jean, Ororo and Rogue rounded the corner outside the professor's office they could already hear Logan's angry voice loud and clear, even through the close door.

"What the fuck was that?" he demanded in a harsh growl. "You think a fancy little show like that is supposed to make me and One-Eye the best of buds, or make Marie think she needs to take care of me? I got news for you Chuck, I don't need no one taking care of me least of all that little girl and I sure as hell am not gonna wrap my arms around Summers like some long lost fucking brother! The next time you want to waste my time on some fucking fairy tale bullshit, you just do yourself a favor and don't!"

Having said his peace, Logan turned on his heel and headed for the door. He paused briefly to look at his teammates just inside the room, his keen eyes not failing to register the pain in Marie's chocolate orbs. He couldn't help it, he didn't want to hurt her but there was no way around it at the moment. Logan knew that if he stayed, tried to talk to her then his already cracked shield of conviction would shatter and he'd be more than tempted to try to make a life with her like the couple they had recently observed.

Without a word to anyone or a further glance at Marie, Logan stormed from the room.

Rogue was vaguely aware of the fact that Scott was now doing a little fuming of his own but his words didn't really register as Logan's voice kept playing in her head. "I don't need no one taking care of me, least of all that little girl...." That little girl ... after two years and a number of dangerous missions that was still how he saw her. That little girl, those three words hurt her more than any wound she'd received in battle, more even then having razor sharp blades forced through her chest.

Her body and mind numb from everything she'd seen and heard, Rogue turned, without conscious thought, and walked from the room.



Logan didn't have a destination in mind when he tore out of the mansion driveway on Scott's bike. Even as he flew at breakneck speeds down the winding highway, he gave no thought to where he'd end up. It wasn't until he brought the motorcycle to a screeching stop outside a familiar house that he realized why the scenery had been so recognizable.

He sat there, straddling the seat of the specially modified bike, growling softly, for several minutes before he finally swung a leg over the fine leather. He wasn't even sure why he was there. Hell, that wasn't true, Logan knew exactly why he was there, he just wouldn't admit it, even to himself.

Stalking angrily up the front walk, he ceased all movement for a moment, before bringing up a hand to pound on the door. He waited all of five seconds before he repeated the demanding summons, this time louder and for a longer period.

It was as he was raising his arm for a third attempt when the door swung inward, the owner stopping abruptly at the sight of her visitor.

"Logan, I knew I'd be seeing you again but I wasn't expecting it this soon," Chris stated, moving to the side and gesturing him in.

A perturbed expression already dominated Logan's features and it only increased at her comment. Still he entered without speaking, stopping just inside the foyer.

Upon closing the door, Chris turned to him, the arch of her brows revealing an unspoken question.

Scowling for all he was worth he simply stood there, staring at her quizzically.

Chris released a light snort as she shook her head and began to move. Starting forward she paused at Logan's side long enough to say, "I assume you came here for a reason," before walking toward the large room down the hallway.

Logan remained motionless for a beat before turning to follow. Entering the same room as before he found Chris seated on the couch where Marie had been only hours before. She gestured to the spot beside her and silently waited for him to join her.

"So ... why'd you come, Logan?" she asked with a well-timed, pregnant pause once he was seated.

For close to two minutes, Logan was silent, occasionally opening his mouth to begin before closing it mutely. When he did finally manage to force words from his throat, they were hoarse and softly spoken. "What happened?"

She knew immediately what he was asking. Slowly her right hand was extended toward him, offering it to him as she had once before. Chris met Logan's hesitant gaze and held it, recognizing the unease he felt toward the unknown, mixed with a degree of fear. The thing was she knew exactly what he was afraid of and that there was nothing she could do to alleviate it.

Knowing what she was offering as she lifted her hand, Logan found himself torn ... between wanting to know how that Logan's and that Marie's lives turned out and fearing that what he would see would hamper his conviction not to ruin his Marie's life. He already knew that the fact he considered her "his Marie" was not a good sign in his quest to protect her from himself.

Telling himself repeatedly in his head that what happened there was not what would happen here, he reluctantly took Chris' hand and, with one last look at her, closed his eyes.

Logan's eyes snapped opened again at the first indication that he was back in the other time. The scowl he was wearing increase exponentially, not that anyone could have seen that in the total darkness in which he found himself. He was about to question Chris when he heard a low and quite distinctive growl. It was a sound he knew well, a playfully seductive rumble that woman seemed to find irresistible.

As his eyes began to adjust to the near complete darkness in the room, the growl was repeated, followed closely by the rustling of sheets and an equally familiar throaty giggle.



Marie shifted her position to give Logan better access to her neck, which he was thoroughly nuzzling. "Good mornin'," she cooed softly.

"Mornin', darlin'," Logan breathed against her skin before planting a series of kisses down her neck, moving across her shoulder.

"Well someone's up very early this mornin'," Marie said in a sultry tone as she rolled onto her back, her hands curling around his neck, pulling him into a passionate kiss.

"Mmm hmm," Logan murmured as his lips glided down her chin to her neck before continuing down the center of her body.

She squirmed and giggled against the tickle of bushy sideburns as he nuzzled his face in her cleavage. Marie wound her fingers in the thick tuffs of hair at the top of Logan's head as she arched her back off the bed.

"Yep, little Wolvie is definitely frisky this mornin'," she sighed, her breathing becoming harsh and erratic from his kisses and nips.

Pulling back slightly, a wolfish grin on his lips and his left eyebrow arched nearly to his hairline, Logan responded in a seductive growl. "And big Wolvie is feeling pretty damn frisky too."

Marie's throaty giggle ricocheted off the walls of the bedroom about the time he turned his attention to her breasts. "Save some fer the baby, Logan," she teased as he suckled and nipped at her.

A hearty chuckle shook their bed as he pulled away with a mockingly menacing growl. "Ain't that kid old enough to find his own woman?" he joked, the gleam in his eyes the only indication of that.

"Logan," Marie chided weakly, her tone full of mirth, "he's only six months old."

"Well, he can crawl, can't he?" her husband retorted with a snort of laughter.

Playfully Marie punched his shoulder, giggling the whole time. "Ya're so bad!"

Logan mischievously wiggled his eyebrows, a roguish grin curling his lips. "That's why you love me, darlin'."

"Mostly Ah love ya cause a little Wolvie," she responding, pushing up into him and rolling on top. "Mostly," she repeated before claiming his mouth with her own. After a moment she pulled back from the passionate kiss and mimicked the path his lips had taken on her only minutes before.

Things were just starting to get interesting when a soft knock at the door across the room made Marie freeze.

"Mom?" a small voice called timidly from the hallway.

Resting her forehead against Logan's chest in frustration, Marie released a heavy sigh as he let loose with a low growl.

"I swear to God those kids have some kind of special powers," he bite off in a low, disgruntled tone. "What is it? Some kind of radar that tells them dad's about to get primal so they better come save mom?"

"Believe me, sugah," Marie started as she rolled off of him, "mama don't wanna be saved."

"Dad?" This time both the call and the knock were louder and more urgent.

"It's opened, sweetie."

"Um ... sorry to wake you but there's a man at the door that says he needs to talk to you," the girl, looking to be a teenager informed them softly.

Nearly bolting upright in bed, Logan's expression became feral. "Who is it, Anna?"

The teen, a lovely girl who was the spitting image of her mother, shrugged. "I dunno, dad, he just said he was a friend and needed to talk to you and mom."

Logan and Marie exchanged a quick glance before exiting opposite sides of the bed and starting to dress.

"Where is he?" Logan demanded his tone harsh as his concern for his family began to grow.

"In the front room," Anna responded in a tone that conveyed her feeling that it should have been obvious where the man was.

"Where are the kids?" Marie wanted to know.

"Watchin' cartoons," again the tone was a little snippy.

"Anna JoEllen," her mother chided, "you left the children alone with a complete stranger? Where's Scotty?"

"He's with Jimmy watching Spiderman," Anna stated nonchalantly.

With another look at each other, Logan and Marie swiftly finished dressing and moved for the door with their oldest daughter falling in behind them. The leader of the family set the pace at a good clip as he hurried down the hallway toward the living room.

Marie was right on Logan's heels as he pushed open the door and entered the living room to find it packed with friends and family.

"Happy Anniversary!" everyone shouted together upon their arrival.

"Oh mah Gawd!" Marie gasped at the surprise party. With her hormones still a little out of whack from the birth of the last child, tears sprang to her eyes and she started to shake.

Knowing his wife as well as he did, Logan was quick to wrap a comforting arm around her shoulder and pull her close. He held her, infusing her with strength as their friends moved forward one at a time to greet and congratulate the couple.

At the end of the line, behind Scott, Jean and their two kids, were Logan and Marie's family. The five children ranging in age from sixteen to six months were quite clearly products of the couple. Each of them looked in varying degrees like both of their parents.

The two boys, the oldest child and the youngest, looked to be near mirror images of their father, Scotty in particular. The middle three children, all girls, looked more like their mother but each had characteristics and traits that had obviously come from their father. The boys as well had features that were reminiscent of their mother, most notably, Jimmy's dark brown eyes.

As one the close-knit group of children moved forward and surrounded their parents. The huge group hug was a sight to behold and the observers, more than accustomed to the closeness of the family, watched with growing smiles.



As once again the scene before him faded out, Logan could do nothing but shake his head. His lips pursed and nostrils flared in irritation, he continued to roll his head from side to side in silent denial.

Chris watched him for a moment out of the corner of her eye before turning to face him. "Why are you shaking your head, Logan? You wanted to know what happened to them and that's what happened. Don't you believe that they could live happily ever after?"

"It doesn't matter," Logan snorted loudly.

"What doesn't matter?" Chris questioned thoughtfully.

Logan's irritation was growing with leaps and bounds. "Their lives," he snarled. "Their ... happily ever after. None of that matters here. That was once in... What did you say? Hundreds of possibilities?"

It was a question that Chris knew she didn't need to ask but she did so anyway, hoping to make him see what she saw. "Whose lives, Logan? Everyone's ... or just yours and Marie's."

With a low, menacing growl, Logan bounded from his seat and headed toward the door.

"You're right, Logan," Chris called after him, her voice rising in volume as he got further away. "That was just once in a hundred possibilities, but there are a hundred more just like that one. You just come on back whenever you're ready for another dose of reality."

He'd made it as far as the outer door when she finished but Logan couldn't force himself to leave as the implication of what she'd said hit him with the force of a physical blow. Gnashing his teeth, he turned slowly and moved back down the hallway to the room where he'd left Chris. Stopping in the doorway he stared at him madly until she seemed to sense him and looked up.

"Are you saying that me and Marie are always together?" Logan demanded harshly.

Chris met his gaze squarely, not at all intimidated by his animalistic posturing. "I thought it didn't matter what happened somewhere else?" she retorted sharply.

His anger and frustration doubling yet again, Logan's expression turned overtly threatening. After staring Chris down with that look for several long seconds, his expression mellowed. "You're right, it doesn't matter," he replied before once again turning and stalking from the room, this time making it all the way out the front door.

Still maintaining her same seat, Chris listened to the distinctive roar of the motorcycle. It was a sound that she was certain she'd hear again.
This story archived at http://wolverineandrogue.com/wrfa/viewstory.php?sid=1988