Make-Believe by Laenwyn
Summary: This is how it is, the way it has to be.
Categories: AU Characters: None
Genres: Angst
Tags: None
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 646 Read: 1727 Published: 09/30/2007 Updated: 09/30/2007

1. Chapter 1 by Laenwyn

Chapter 1 by Laenwyn
Author's Notes:
Rogue-angst. It's vague in a sense that her connection to Logan isn't necessarily what you might think it is. Sneaky, I know *eg* Make up your own mind =P Unbeta'd so all mistakes belong to google docs (... and maybe me).
"I just came from seeing your husband, girl. He was asking about you, you know."

The tone of her voice is casual, but with an undercurrent of something knowing, like she's just thrown me a bait. Ignoring her tricks is difficult. With the mind of a viper she knows what to say and how to say it to throw me off balance. Lightning quick and razor sharp. It's like being punched right in the middle of your stomach. What she says sticks. I can't wipe it off me or make her go away. She's like a leech, slowly and methodically sucking me dry. Because despite the benefits of her mutation, that she'll outlive me, I still have something she don't. She's never come clean about it, but I know she wants what I am.

I merely nod, knowing fully well what she's getting at. When she laughs it's the sound of crystal chimes that I hear; a high pitched yet quiet sound. Fragile and unbreakable at the same time, only now there's a fracture in that surface. A crack in the diamond's polished surface.

"Aren't you curious?"

"About what? I know you were talking behind my back, weren't you mother?"

She clicks her tongue. "Now, now, would I do something like that to my own blood?"

"We're not related, Raven."

"That's right. We're not, so maybe that's reason enough for you to listen to me, no?"

I can't keep myself from glaring at her. It's a mistake to do so. It only proves her right.

"Enjoy the attention you're getting. But tell me this, daughter, when you're old and worn, who do you think he'll turn to?"

That one word - daughter - comes out of her mouth like she's vomiting. Like it's something filthy and ugly. Her grip on my arm is so firm. It hurts. She's trying to hurt me, too, and I'm letting her. It won't make much difference whether she does it or not, or if I let someone else do it. She doesn't have any faith in me anymore. I lost mine in hers a long time ago, when she tried to kill me.

"Why are you doing this?"

She then caresses my cheek, lovingly, but I know it's not out of affection. It's not love. Her smile says it is, and her eyes are warm and bright, like sulphur, though it's the kind of heat that'll make you suffer. She's so cold. Scorching cold.

"Because I can? No. No, I'm doing this because it is not me that he loves. I'm not being delusional about it, because I know what I know. I trust my instincts, however much I don't want to sometimes."

Her hand moves to hold me by the chin. I feel her breath against my ear, and her voice tastes of disappointment and jealousy. She thinks I'm a traitor. Disloyal and ... nothing. You are no child of mine.

"Look at him, and tell me what I'm saying is not true. "

I do. I let my eyes find his, and that face, those lips I've felt against mine. It's like we're two different people when we're not hiding behind a locked door. We stare at each other for what seem like minutes. My breathing becomes strained, as if the scarf around my neck is too tight. I need to untie it, but I don't. Instead I add another knot. And another. Nothing about that face betrays what's on his mind, and I hope my features are just as blank.

I've let my eyes memorize his shape long enough. Maybe too long this time. When I close my eyes and try to brace myself against the wall, he's walking away. I know it. I can feel it. This is how it is, the way it has to be. How could anyone understand anyway? I don't. We don't.
This story archived at http://wolverineandrogue.com/wrfa/viewstory.php?sid=1987