The Touch of the Wolf by J Marie T
Summary: A quiet evening turns into anything but...
Categories: X1 Characters: None
Genres: Angst
Tags: None
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 10408 Read: 3558 Published: 10/18/2000 Updated: 10/18/2000

1. The Touch of the Wolf by J Marie T

The Touch of the Wolf by J Marie T
Rogue was in heaven there was simply no other way to describe how she felt as she walked through the outskirts of one of the many gardens surrounding the mansion. If someone had told her a month ago that things were going to turn out like they had, she'd have called them crazy. And she wouldn't have been any more surprised.

Almost a month ago, following a nearly year long absence, Logan had finally returned from Canada. As shocked as she'd been by his sudden appearance, he'd been twice as shocked by her change in appearance. At nearly twenty years of age, Rogue wasn't the same girl he'd left behind. At first it was a little awkward between them, both had changed in their time apart. Then it was almost hard seeing him, the heavy cast in his gaze caused by the past, at least the bits that he could finally remember. It had taken him some time before he was able to open up to anyone about what he'd found, even Professor Xavier. A smile came to her face as she recalled that night almost three weeks ago.

Nearly a week had passed since his return when Logan slipped into Rogue's room in the middle of the night, his presence waking her from a fitful dream. That's when he told her what he'd found. The truth about his past, all the things he could now remember. He'd told her that some of it would have probably been better unknown, his age for instance, but it was too late now, he knew.

That night he'd shared it all too, shared it with the only person he felt would understand. Rogue had sat with him quietly on the hard wood floor in her room, their backs resting against her bed. She'd held his hand while he talked and held him to her chest while he'd cried then stared at him in shock as he told her how much he'd missed her and how glad he was that she still cared. He told her how sometimes the knowledge that she was waiting for him in New York was all that kept him going. Rogue had cried then too. Cried for his pain, his past, his promises kept and she cried with happiness too.

The first few days after that emotional night had been the hardest. Not certain that anyone would understand or approve of their budding relationship, he was after all old enough to be her great-great-grandfather, they had to be content with a few stolen moments and secret glances. Finally on the fourth day, Professor Xavier had pulled them into his office and let them know in no uncertain terms that everyone at the school was on to them and they might as well stop trying to hide it. And so they had and neither had ever been happier.

Rogue tightened her fingers around the large hand she was holding then turned to her companion with a smile. It was practically a nighttime ritual for her and Logan to take a walk in one of the gardens to watch the sun set. It was their time to discuss their day's events and talk about their plans for tomorrow. Moreover it was time together, alone. At Logan's insistence, they were taking their relationship very slowly, not that they could take it much beyond what they already had. There was still Rogue's mutation to contend with. They'd been together for almost three weeks and they'd yet to kiss. It was something that they both wanted and both knew that in time it would happen. Jean and the professor were working a couple of theories and the couple knew they'd eventually find an answer, they had to.

Logan felt Rogue shudder with a chill as it vibrated from her hand to his. "You cold?" he asked, with the thick, sultry tone he used when they were alone.

"Maybe a little," she conceded shyly as they stopped their walk. When it was just the two of them, Rogue didn't wear the cloak she usually had on to protect people from her poisoned skin.

Quickly Logan shed the old leather jacket that he was seldom seen without and slipped it on her shoulders. "You want to head back inside?"

"The sun hasn't even set yet," Rogue protested. "This'll help," she assured him wrapping the thick jacket tighter.

"So will this," Logan stated wrapping his arms around her waist and pulling her back firmly against his chest. "I don't want you getting sick, Marie."

"Ah have no doubt that ya can keep me warm," she whispered in a honey sweet tone, tilting her head back onto his shoulder to look at him.

Logan's body tightened at her tone and the look in her eyes. "You better stop that while you still can," he warned her, his tone decidedly more husky.

"Ah wish Ah didn't have ta," Rogue stated sadly for about the millionth time, at least it felt that many.

With a sigh Logan dropped his head slightly placing a quick, gentle kiss on the top of her head. "Me too, Darlin'," he returned with a frustrated growl.

"Logan?"

Logan bristled immediately at the distinctive hail. For some reason Rogue couldn't understand, he and Scott were still at each other's throats. "I wonder what One-Eye wants," he grumbled not making any move to find out. "Probably wants to bitch about me taking his motorcycle again."

"Ah told ya we shoulda asked before ya took me fer a ride," Rogue reminded him.

"If he don't want me takin' the bike then he shouldn't leave the keys in it, now should he?" Logan returned. "Besides doesn't he know that I'm walkin' with my girl? I've told him before not to bother me when we're in the garden."

"Ya better go see, maybe it's important," Rogue ordered with a hidden smile.

Logan scowled, maybe she was right. "I'll be right back," he promised her with a squeeze before releasing her and turning back toward the house.

From the edge of the garden where they'd been standing, Rogue turned and watched Logan walk toward Scott and Jean, admiring the power in his legs and the tightening of his muscles at work. She could watch that man walk all day long.

A rustling in the forest a short distance from where she stood drew her attention and Rogue turned away from Logan. Straining her eyes she searched for a source of the disturbance. About the time she decided it was just the wind, she heard it again only this time it was accompanied by a whimper. A second later it was repeated, definitely the sound of a wounded animal, sounded like a dog. The new girl at the school had come with a dog that the whole house had adopted. The dog, an Australian Blue Heeler, had disappeared a few days ago without a trace.

Glancing back in the direction Logan had taken, Rogue started forward toward the thick forest. It was much darker in the heavy cover than it had been in the open and she strained her eyes to see. Something shifting in the foliage to her right startled her and she jumped. Shaking it off physically she had just started forward again when something large and powerful slammed into her from her left. Rogue screamed in panic as she was knocked from her feet to the unforgiving ground. As the wind had been knock out of her when she landed, Rogue was unable to call for help as more beasts joined the first. She barely had time to bring her hands up to protect her face when the pack of wolves attacked.

From the house, Logan, Jean and Scott heard the startled scream from Rogue. In an instant all three were running toward the edge of the garden where Logan had left her. As he sprinted, Logan's nose was working, he located Marie a short ways into the forest. A second scent mingle with hers, a familiar and terrifying scent.

"Wolves," Logan shouted over his shoulder to the others. About that time his nose detected something even more frightening. Blood. Increasing his speed by sheer force of will, Logan left Jean and Scott in dust.

Slowing slightly to concentrate, Jean sent a mental call for help back toward the house knowing that the professor would pick it up if he hadn't picked up on their emotional distress already.



Pain lanced through Rogue's body as the pack tore at her clothing and flesh with teeth and claws. She fought to remove her gloves to somehow protect herself. Finally getting one off she reached out and grabbed the closest wolf forcing her fingers through it's thick fur, waiting for the tingling sensation that informed her that her power was working but she felt nothing but pain. Again she tried to scream for help but nothing more than a sob came out. She was quickly giving in to the pull of unconsciousness, anything to escape the unbelievable pain. Just before she lost consciousness she heard a loud, guttural growl, her life or her death, she didn't know which.



Logan didn't slow down at all as he hit the forest. Dodging trees and running over the top of bushes, he barreled into the foray with claws drawn. Slamming his fist into the first beast he happened upon, Logan snarled at the loud whimper and howl that issued from the wolf just before it died. Flinging his first victim aside he quickly impaled a second before he was grabbed around the ankle.

The sickening clang of teeth on metal sounded loudly as Jean and Scott arrived on the scene. Cyclopes quickly reached for his visor, sending a thin stream of energy at the beast attached to Logan's leg. The wolf cried out in pain but refused to let go of its purchase. Not having any other choice, Cyke fired again killing the animal. He was surprised that Logan could still stand even with his healing ability then Scott corrected himself, Logan wasn't even there, the man he was looking at was Wolverine.

Logan and Scott's attack was distracting the wolves from Rogue so Jean moved quickly to her side. From a distance she could tell that it was bad but she wasn't prepared for just how bad. The poor girl was literally ripped to shreds along with her clothing. Knowing that she couldn't help Rogue there, she reached down and grabbed a handful of tattered fabric then started to pull. Jean had made it only a short distance with her burden before Storm joined her.

"Here," Ororo said handing Jean a thick blanket, wide-eyed as she saw Rogue unconscious and bleeding.

By then the fight was over, the remaining wolves either dead or gone. Logan ignored the carnage he'd caused as he ran toward Jean knowing that she'd taken Marie. He skidded to a stop next to Storm, his heart stopping from what he saw.

"We have to get her inside now," Jean shouted, the urgency in her voice frightening Logan.

Jean and Ororo had already managed to wrap Rogue in the protective blanket and Logan quickly gathered her into his arms and started for the house, the rest of the group hot on his heels.

Reaching the house, Logan kicked open the door without slowing down and found Professor Charles Xavier holding open the elevator. He carried Marie inside and waited impatiently for Jean and the others to catch up even if they were only a few steps behind him. The elevator ride to the infirmary seemed to take forever. Rogue's gasps for breath filled the small carrier they rode in but at least she was still breathing, for the moment anyway. Logan felt bile rise in his throat as he stared down into the shredded face of the woman he loved. Finally it became too much and he had to close his eyes against the sight, all the while berating himself for not being there to protect her.

Jean watched helplessly, fighting the threat of tears, as Logan stared at Rogue for a long time before closing his eyes. In the confined area of the elevator she could easily feel his anguish and his guilt. Slowly she lifted her hand to his shoulder for a small measure of comfort. She was surprised when he turned to her, the desperate look in his tear filled eyes begging her to save his soul mate. Jean nodded her head in understanding just about the same time the door opened and Logan once again bolted with the rest of the team tight on his back.

Logan stormed into the infirmary and gently lowered Marie onto the surface of the diagnostic bed closest to the door. He couldn't stand it anymore, seeing his love in so much pain. It was simple really and he knew exactly what he had to do. Gently pulling back the blanket that covered her ravaged body, Logan slowly reached toward her. He was about halfway through the gesture when his arm froze, refusing to complete the motion. Logan growled and strained against the invisible hold, his muscles working painfully.

Suddenly Jean was at his side, a look of intense concentration on her face, her head shaking slowly from side to side. "Let me help her, Logan."

Six metal claws slid out of his now clinched fists as he turned on the doctor, his eyes wild with rage. "I can help her too," he shouted gruffly. "Let me go."

Across the room Scott and Ororo jumped into action while the professor sent soothing messages at the wild man.

"Logan," Ororo called loudly drawing his attention away from Jean, "you're only making it worse. Jean can help her but only if you let her."

"'Ro's right," Scott nodded stepping to Storm's side. "Come on, man, let Jean do her job."

The rage on Logan's face shifted to absolute murderous hatred. "This is your fault," he bellowed raising his claws at the bigger man and starting menacingly in his direction. "If you hadn't called me away to bitch at me about your fucking bike again, I would have been there to stop this."

"I'm sorry, Logan," Scott said quickly. He truly was sorry, Logan was right it was his fault.

"You're sorry," Logan spat as he started in Scott's direction. "You're a sorry excuse for a man, you son-of-a-bitch."

Jean looked up from where she'd managed to get to Rogue, thanks to Scott and Ororo's distraction. She could feel her lover's guilt and terror as Logan stalked toward him. There wasn't much of anything he could do to protect himself without risking injury to the others in the room. Using the power of her mind, Jean sent a projectile straight at Logan, catching him in the neck.

Logan immediately felt the sting as something pricked his neck but he didn't have time to determine what is was as the room went dark around him and he crumpled to the floor in a heap.

Scott and Ororo waited until the claws retracted before they approached the unconscious man. Jean's attention was occupied rushing around Rogue's bed, tending to her injuries so Scott couldn't thank her for her quick thinking. There would be time for that later, when Rogue was out of danger.

"Perhaps you should take Logan next door in case he comes to," Professor Xavier suggested.

Cyclopes acknowledged the idea with a nod then looked at Storm. "You ready?"

"As I'll ever be," she returned as she bent down and pulled on Logan's left arm, hooking it around her shoulder.

"Damn," Scott swore, "how can someone so small weight so much?"

"Metal and muscle," Storm concluded as they half-carried, half-dragged Logan toward the door.

Working as fast she could, Jean had Rogue stabilized in relatively short order then moved on to the more arduous task of getting her cleaned up and sewn back together. She had never seen anyone so badly damaged and still alive but Rogue was holding on. Jean shook her head sadly, on the verge of tears, as she peeled away strips of blood soaked fabric and leather. Her own clothes were speckled with various sized blotches as well for she hadn't taken the time to put on a lab coat just a pair of gloves.

Scott and Ororo returned from the annex and stood on either side of the professor as they watched the doctor working on her patient.

"Did you restrain him?" Charles asked the duo without looking at them, his eyes remaining fixed on doctor and patient.

Storm and Cyclopes looked at each other, it had been considered.

"No," Scott finally answered. "I think he'll be calmer when he comes to."

This time Professor Xavier did shift his gaze to the man at his side. "You think so?"

A flash of uncertainty skittered across his face. It was hidden for the most part but the professor noticed. "Well Rogue's going to be okay, right?"

"Time will tell," Xavier responded quietly turning his gaze back to the small figure on the bed.



Nearly four hours later, three since Jean had sent the group to wait somewhere else, she stepped out of the infirmary. Exhausted mentally and physically from the task she'd just completed, Jean wanted nothing more than to simply crawl into her bed and sleep for a week. Unfortunately that wasn't a possibility.

"Jean?" Scott's voice echoed down the corridor.

Doctor Grey turned to find her fiancé, Ororo and the professor headed toward her.

"How's Rogue?" Xavier asked as he stopped his wheelchair at his protégé's side.

"She's still unconscious," the doctor reported. "There was a lot of bleeding and internal damage but luckily we a had good supply of compatible blood on hand."

"So she's going to be okay?" Scott questioned, once again his guilt slamming into her.

Jean dropped her gaze slowly and remained silent for a long moment. "She's in a coma, Scott. Her body is badly damaged, I ... at this point I can't say for sure."

Scott's face went deadly pale. /My God, Logan will never forgive me if she dies/

"Logan won't forgive any of us if that happens," Jean responded aloud to Scott's thought.

"Speaking of Logan," Ororo started hoping to change the subject. "How long will he be out?"

"He should be coming around any time," Jean guessed. She actually wasn't certain how much of a dose she'd given him.

"He'll want to see her," Charles assured the doctor.

Jean nodded. "I know and I've taken steps."



Logan woke from the nightmare, bolting into a sitting position, his entire body trembling with fear. He took a deep breath and released it as he became aware of his surrounding and realized that it wasn't a nightmare. Marie had been attacked by a bloodthirsty pack of wolves. Subsequent events played out in his mind, trying to take away her pain by touching her, Jean stopping him with her mind, Cyclopes...

"Cyclopes," Logan snarled angrily jumping down from the bed he occupied and heading for the door. As soon as it opened Logan's extraordinary hearing picked up voices a short distance away. Stalking quickly in that direction he came upon Scott, Ororo, Xavier and Jean talking in the corridor.

"Jean," Logan shouted drawing everyone's attention.

The doctor stepped forward quickly placing herself between Scott and the approaching Logan. "She's stable, Logan," she reported immediately knowing that was what he wanted. "There was a lot of damage but I think she's going to be all right."

"I want to see her," he demanded sending a glare over Jean's shoulder to Scott. "Now!"

Jean nodded. "Come on," she called turning to enter the room with him.

"Alone," Logan added the tone of his voice making her stop.

"Okay," Jean agreed glancing from the professor to Scott and Ororo.

Logan sent another angry scowl at Cyclopes before reaching for the door to the infirmary. He entered without looking back, his attention focused on the small, still form on the examination table across the room. Giving the door a good shove, he nearly smiled at the resounding thud.

The smell of blood and disinfectant almost overwhelmed him as he moved purposefully toward Rogue. Logan didn't even notice the steady sound of the machines keeping track of her vital signs or the tears in his eyes, though he wondered about his blurred vision.

Upon reaching Rogue's side, Logan's breath caught at the sight of her. Blood soaked bandages covered her face and the part of her chest that wasn't covered by the thin sheet. He fought the urge to throw up as he dropped into the chair conveniently positioned beside the bed.

"Oh, Baby," he whispered softly, his guilt once again taking over. "I'm sorry, Marie. I failed you again. I'm so sorry."

In her comatose state of course Rogue didn't respond.

"It's all right though, Darlin', I'm going to make everything all right." Swallowing his guilt and fear, Logan slid his chair closer to the bed then reached a hand toward a bare patch of skin on her face. Centimeters before his finger touched her a jolt of electricity bit his finger.

"What the hell?" Logan demanded moving his hand to touch her shoulder. Again he was shocked before he could even touch her.

"You can't touch her, Logan," Jean's voice sounded from behind him.

Logan turned sharply a murderous rage in his eyes. "What the fuck is this?"

Jean moved closer despite her fear. She didn't really think Logan would hurt her, at least not under normal circumstances, but these circumstances were far from normal. "I've erected a force field around her so you can't touch her," she informed him softly.

"I just want to help her," Logan returned quietly, not at all the response Jean expected.

"I know," she nodded moving to his side, her hand once again dropping to his shoulder, "but getting yourself killed isn't going to help her, Logan."

Burying his face in his hands, Logan felt a stabbing pain in his chest and his lungs refused to function.

"Breathe slow and deep," Jean instructed loudly. "Logan, calm down."

His eyes wide and wild, Logan gasped for air as an iron fist squeezed his chest.

Jean could see the panic in his eyes and knew she had to calm him down. Gathering all her strength, she drew back and slapped him sharply across the face.

Logan blinked in surprise at the force of the blow, snapping him back and making his lungs work. "What are you doing?" he demanded rising from his seat and turning an angry glare at her.

"You were about to hyperventilate," Jean explained. "Look, Logan, I know how hard this is for you..."

"You don't know shit, Jean," Logan spit back. "When its One-Eye laying there ripped to shreds with you powerless to help him then you can talk to me about how you feel."

Realizing he was right, Jean nodded. "I'm sorry, you're right. I wish there was something more I could do."

"Let down the force field," Logan suggested flatly knowing she wouldn't.

"It's there for your protection as well as hers, Logan. Think about how she'd feel if she woke up with your help only find out that she had hurt you, or worse yet, killed you. You didn't have to see her everyday after the last time, Logan. You weren't here to see her guilt over nearly killing you because you wouldn't let her go. Could you now? Could you let her go once she started to heal but before she was completely whole?"

Logan considered the question carefully. Of course he couldn't, he would give her everything, and he'd let her take it all to take away her pain. He would let her suck him dry to make it all right. "No," he answered honestly.

"That's why I can't let down the force field, Logan," Jean told him. "Easing your suffering now would only extend hers."

Nodding Logan returned to his seat, resting his gaze on the battered face of his little Marie.



For three weeks Logan stayed at Rogue's side in the infirmary, waiting. Waiting for her to heal, waiting for her to open her beautiful brown eyes and look at him so he could tell her how sorry he was that he'd broken his promise to protect her. In that time he'd watched her wounds begin to heal, her smooth, perfect skin marred with scarring that a single touch from him could take away.

Logan stirred in the cot Jean and Scott had set up for him beside Rogue's. He felt like he hadn't slept in weeks, which was more or less the case. He sat up and stretched, his bones cracking just under the surface of his metal skeleton.

With a sigh, Logan turned his attention to Rogue when his eye caught a minute movement. Practically jumping out of the bed, he was at her side in a second. Just as he looked down at her, heavy eyelids began to flutter.

"Marie," Logan called tenderly urging her on as his mind called out to the professor or Jean.

Ever so slowly Rogue's eyes drifted open and met Logan's tearful gaze.

"Hey, Baby," he greeted, his voice thick with relief. "It's so good to see you open your eyes."

Still fighting the sleep threatening to drag her back under the surface, Rogue started to lift and hand toward him.

"Don't move, Baby," Logan ordered quickly not wanting her to be further harmed by a shock. "Jean had to put a force field around you so I wouldn't touch you."

Rogue's sleep muddled mind had a hard time with that one. Turning her head slightly she finally realized where she was but she wasn't certain why. "What happened?" her weak, raspy voice reached Logan's ears.

Guilt reconfiguring his features, Logan shifted his gaze away from hers. "You were attacked by a pack of wolves," he jogged her memory. "In the forest beyond the west garden."

Straining her brain to remember, Rogue shook her head. "Ah don't remember," she told him her tone taking on a frantic quality.

"It's all right, Baby," Logan soothed wanting to break down that damn barrier and wrap his arms around the frightened woman.

The opening of the door behind him caught Logan's attention and he didn't have to turn to know it was Jean, he could smell her.

The doctor stopped at Rogue's side opposite Logan and smiled down at the younger woman. "How are you feeling, Rogue?" she asked pulling on surgical gloves.

"Okay, Ah guess," Rogue responded. "Tired."

Jean offered her an affectionate smile then shifted her gaze to Logan. He returned her look grudgingly then nodded. Jean reached over picking up a second pair of gloves then handed them to him.

"She doesn't remember what happened," Logan passed on to Jean what he'd already discovered as he pulled the latex gloves over his hands.

Again Jean smiled down at Rogue in a gentle manner. "That's not surprising considering the extent of your trauma," she said as she worked the controls to lower the force field. With a slight glow and a hum, the field died and Logan immediately but carefully took Rogue's hand in his. "Are you sore?"

Rogue considered the question for a moment before she responded. "Not really, a little numb maybe. And kinda itchy."

"That just means you're healing, Rogue," Jean assured her. "Can you move your toes for me?"

Looking down to where Jean was standing at the foot of her bed, Rogue did she was asked and wiggled her toes. "How's that?"

"Great," Jean smiled. "See if you can lift you right leg off the bed."

For the next half-hour Rogue complied with every order Jean gave her, glancing at Logan's concerned face whenever she got the chance.

"Everything looks good," Doctor Grey finally reported. "I think you'll be able to move into your own room in a couple more days."

"Well how long've Ah been here?" Rogue wanted to know.

Logan and Jean exchanged a quick glance. "Three weeks," the doctor stated evenly.

"Three ... we... weeks?" Rogue stuttered in shock.

"You're injuries were pretty severe, Baby," Logan informed her softly. "You've been in a coma."

Rogue swallowed hard. She'd been unconscious for three weeks. She wondered briefly if David had felt the same confusion when he woke up after three weeks of sleep.

"Rogue," Jean's call shattered the thought, "there's something else."

Not liking the sound of the older woman's tone, Rogue looked to Logan. The tight set of his jaw coupled with the intense sorrow in his eyes told her it wasn't good. "What is it?" Rogue asked tensely tightening her grip on Logan's hand.

Jean looked down meeting the woman's gaze squarely. "The attack left you torn up pretty bad," she began. "There will be some scarring."

Logan felt her stiffen and could smell the tears gathering in her eyes.

"Bad?" was all Rogue could ask.

Not sure how to respond, Jean looked away for a split second but that was long enough for Rogue to get her answer.

"You're still as beautiful as ever, Darlin'," Logan said tenderly as his free hand moved to her face to wipe away her tears.

Closing her eyes tightly, Rogue pulled her hand free of Logan's and brought both up to her face. The thick feel of scar tissue seemed to cover every inch and something inside of her broke.

Logan couldn't bear to see her like she was, sobbing uncontrollably. Moving quickly he gathered her into his arms and pulled her tightly to his chest, his right hand holding her head firmly against his shoulder. "Shh," he soothed. "It's all right, Baby. You're safe now and that's all that matters."

"But Ah'm hideous," Rogue cried into his shirt.

"No you're not," he defended firmly. "You're gorgeous."

Rogue didn't respond except to cry harder. Logan held her tightly, kissing the top of her head and offering comforting and loving words.

Jean was a little reluctant but she left them alone to join the others she knew were in the hall. She and Logan had made a deal, if, once Rogue regained consciousness, she accepted his offer to heal her then Jean wouldn't stop him. Until then Jean could use any means necessary to stop him, for example the force field.

"Marie," Logan called lifting her chin up to meet his gaze. "I have an idea, it's something I've wanted to do since this began but Jean wouldn't allow."

Staring into his eyes, Rogue knew what he was getting at. Her brow furrowed at the mere thought and she began shaking her head.

"Baby, listen to me. It won't be like last time," he assured her, the passion he felt for her evident in his tone. "We're both conscious, we know what's coming and we can stop it when we want to."

"No," Rogue nearly shouted.

"Marie, let me just give you a little," Logan begged. "A few seconds is all we'll need."

Rogue shook her head savagely. "Ah won't risk yer life over a few scars, Logan."

Logan's eyes filled with tears. "Baby, please, I want to do this. It's my fault this happened and I want to make it better."

"How's this yer fault? Ya didn't attack me," she stated knowingly.

"But I didn't protect you like I promised you I would."

Rogue was torn, torn between letting Logan touch her, something she wanted more than anything, and refusing him. His touch would let her take some of his healing power to erase the scars that she was now aware covered her body but there was always the off chance that it would kill him. If she let him touch her she'd be easing his guilt over a situation for which he shouldn't feel guilty. If she refused him his request, she may push him away when she needed him the most.

"Logan."

A gloved finger pressed down lightly on her lips cutting her off. "Unless you're going to say yes right now, don't say anything. Just think about it," he commanded as he slid his finger across her lips then down the side of her face.

"Yes," Rogue whispered almost inaudibly.

Logan's eyes snapped to hers as he tried to determine if he'd really heard what he thought he had.

"Just a little, Logan, promise me," she begged, the fear in her voice echoed in her eyes.

Nodding like a mad man, Logan's face exploded with a smile. "I promise, Baby."

Rogue watched, a mixture of anticipation and trepidation swirling in her stomach, as Logan tore off the gloves he was wearing and tossed them aside. She licked at her dry, cracked and scarred lips considering changing her mind when Logan's voice invaded her thoughts.

"You should lay back and just relax," he offered with a smile.

Shaking like a leaf in a gale force wind, Rogue obeyed, laying back down on the hospital bed and doing her best to slow her pounding heart.

Logan took a deep breath and released it as he reached up to cup her face in his hands. It took a second before he felt the familiar drain of his power transferring to her. His breath caught with a sharp pain as he saw horrible scars start to smooth out and disappear. He could feel Rogue growing stronger, healing with his touch. She looked up and met his gaze, her brown eyes once again bright and free of pain.

Rogue, feeling the power slid between them, dropped her hands on Logan's arm and started to pull his hands away from her face. She was about to panic when she realized that the tingling was subsiding which was impossible since Logan's hands were still holding her face. They both realized it at the same time, both pulling back in wide-eyed shock.

"What happened?" Jean demanded as she burst through the door from the hallway followed by the rest of the X-Men. From her position outside, she'd monitored their discussion and knew that Rogue had agreed but the unexpected shock near the end drove her back inside.

Logan and Rogue turned stunned faces toward Jean before once again locking their eyes on each other.

"He touched me," Rogue stated the obvious. Even from across the room Jean could see that the scars were all but gone and were still fading. In a few more seconds they'd be gone completely leaving nothing behind.

Jean nodded waiting for more. Logan didn't appear any worse for wear, he seemed fine. Turning back to face Rogue, Jean shrugged. "And?"

Rogue swallowed then cleared her throat. "He was touchin' me and Ah could feel the power flowin' between us and then it just stopped."

"You mean when he pulled his hands away?" Jean questioned just to clarify.

"No," Rogue informed her. "He was still touchin' me."

Logan was nodding his head, obviously in shock due to recent events. As if to prove them sane, Logan picked up his hand from Rogue's side, her small hand clutched tightly within.

Jean's eyes widened in surprise.

"How is that possible?" Ororo asked no one in particular.

Doctor Grey hurried to her patient then reached out to check the pulse at her wrist. A tingling sensation immediately greeted her fingers and she and Rogue both pulled back. "The change isn't with Rogue," she announced looking to Logan. "Rogue, how are you feeling now?"

"Couldn't be betta," she announced cheerfully.

"Why don't you go get a shower and get dressed," Jean suggested. "I want to run some tests on Logan."

Logan didn't look all that happy about the prospect of a whole lot more poking and prodding, he just wanted to go back to holding Marie.

Rogue looked a little apprehensive to leave. She was worried that she'd done something to him when he touched her.

Sensing her concern, Logan wrapped his arms around her and lifted her off the bed, setting her gently on her feet before wrapping the sheets around her and pulling her into a tight hug. "Go ahead, Darlin'. I'll be right here when you're done."

"Come on, Rogue," Storm encouraged, "I'll show you the way."

Logan offered her a smile when she stopped in the doorway and looked back over her shoulder at him. He watched her until she was out of sight, the door closed between them then he turned to Jean. "What's going on?"

"That's what we're going to find out."



Ororo walked Rogue down the corridor to the X-Men ladies "locker room". "Would you like me to stay?" the dark-skinned woman with white hair offered with a friendly smile.

"Ah'll be awl rahght," Rogue responded. It wasn't that she didn't appreciate the offer, because she did, it was just that she wanted to be alone to think just then.

The smile on Ororo's face broadened. "I'll just grab you some clothes and leave them here on the bench for when you're done."

Rogue nodded. "Thank you, Ms. Munroe."

"Call me 'Ro," Storm suggested as she turned on her heel and left Rogue alone to shower.

Not wanting to waste time, Rogue quickly shed the sheet she'd been draped in and moved toward the shower. The hot spray of the water felt good against her once again smooth skin. After lathering up with the body wash she found in the stall, Rogue moved her hands across her body to help rinse off the soap. As her hand brushed down the outside of her right thigh, a long thin anomaly greeted her fingers. Her eyes following the course of her hand, Rogue noticed one single scar running down her thigh. She quickly scanned the rest of her body with her eyes and her hands but that was the only remaining mark and it was one she could certainly live with.

By the time she finished in the shower, 'Ro had returned and left her some clothes on the bench. Rogue dressed quickly in the garments Storm had provided, right down to her elbow-length gloves. Not even bothering to check her appearance in the mirror, Rogue headed out into the corridor and back toward the infirmary. The door opened at her approach and she entered greeting Professor Xavier, Scott and Ororo with friendly smiles. She didn't say a word however and started moving to where Logan was laying on the bed she'd occupied only a short time ago.

"Hey," she greeted him upon reaching his side, her eyes skimming across his glorious bare torso.

Logan smiled up at her as he reached for her hand. "Hey, yourself." He scowled when he felt fabric instead of skin.

"Has she found anythin'?" Rogue asked studying the doctor's back.

"No..." Logan started.

"Yes," Jean corrected turning around from her work to look at them.

Professor Xavier pushed his wheelchair into motion, moving closer to better hear what was being said. Scott and Ororo followed, positioning themselves out around Logan and Rogue.

Jean looked up from her final check to find all eyes in the room staring at her. "You all know about Logan's incredible healing potential," she started with the obvious. "His body can repair itself hundreds of times faster than the average human, or mutant for that matter. Anyway, part of his ability includes being able to fight off infections and viruses.

"As far as his cells were concerned, the reaction caused by Rogue's touch was just another virus that needed to be destroyed or precluded. In short, Logan," Jean explained with a smile, "your body has created a defense which makes you immune to the toxins in Rogue's skin."

"What does all that mean?" Rogue asked, her heart pounding at the thought that she could touch Logan without causing him pain.

Smiling Logan sat up and swung his legs over the side of the bed beside Rogue. "It means that you don't need these with me anymore," he told her as he pulled the gloves off her arms and tossed them aside. He then took her arms and pulled her closer, guiding her into the space between his knees. "And it means I can finally do this," he said, taking her face gently in his hands as he leaned forward, brushing his lips across hers.

Rogue gasped at the contact, her knees going weak at the tenderness. She quickly wrapped her arms around Logan's back, marveling at the feel of his muscles just underneath his bare skin.

Their first kiss was chaste, lasting only a matter of seconds before Logan pulled back. He held Rogue tightly against his chest until he felt her regain her strength then he loosened his hold, pushing her back slightly so he could jump off the bed.

"Sorry, folks," he said turning toward Xavier and the others. "That's all the show you're getting." With that he wrapped his arm around Rogue and ushered her from the room.

The couple walked in silence down the corridor to the elevator and Logan quickly punched the button with the knuckle of his middle finger before turning his gaze to the woman at his side. The way Rogue was staring at him made his head spin, her eyes grazing his chest with unabashed lust.

"Logan?" she called tightly as she continued staring at his torso, her voice breathy and hot.

"Yeah, Darlin'?" he responded his own voice sounding foreign.

"Are we through takin' it slow?" With that Rogue lifted her gaze, her eyes full of wanting and love.

"Oh yeah," Logan growled as his body responded to her look.

As the elevator door opened behind Rogue, Logan moved forward and quickly scooped her up into his arms. He ignored the fact that he was shirtless and carrying a woman through the halls of a dormitory. He also ignored the stunned look from the various students who happened to be milling around in the area. All he was aware of was the woman in his arms and the smell of lust in the air.

Reaching his bedroom, Logan kicked opened the door with a responding thud then kicked it closed again behind him. He moved quickly toward the bed then slowly lowered Rogue onto the soft mattress before stretching out beside her. Immediately his hand went for her face, cupping it gently as he leaned over her pressing his lips to hers.

This kiss was different than the one they shared in the infirmary, Rogue discovered instantly. The other had been a friendly peck, a light pressing of lips but this was a kiss full of promise and passion. Pursing her lips, Rogue returned the pressure, revealing in the feel of the touch of his lips and also the light caress of his hand on her face.

Rogue's whole body was throbbing in a way that she'd never felt before and thought she would never feel at all. Just when she started to adjust, there was a new sensation.

Logan opened his mouth slightly skimming his tongue across Rogue's lips. When her lips opened with a moan he invaded her mouth, his tongue immediately finding hers. Sliding one hand into her thick auburn hair, Logan let the other slide down the side of her body finally feeling the curves he'd been able to see but not touch.

Drawing on instincts that she'd never had to use, Rogue opened her mouth wider and mimicked Logan's actions, pushing her own tongue past his into his mouth. She felt his body tremble with the action and she smiled against his mouth.

Feeling the grin beneath the kiss, Logan pulled back to look at her. The mischievous look in her eyes made his groin tighten. Leaning back over her he trailed kisses down her jaw line to her neck as his hand snaked up under her shirt to rest a top an ample breast.

Rogue sighed at the mixture of stimuli. She arched her back, lifting it off the bed thus pushing her chest more firmly against his hand. Faster than she would have thought possible, Logan had pulled back again and ripped the shirt she was wearing straight down the middle. Rogue blushed as he stared at her chest still swathed in a black see-through bra.

Logan skimmed his hand down Rogue's neck, his fingers barely touching her fevered flesh, making her shiver. His hand came down the valley between her breast and deftly undid the clasp releasing the mounds on flesh beneath. Logan rolled his hand up the side to the top, a hard nipple responding to his touch. He watched Rogue close her eyes in pleasure at his touch. She had no idea how good he could make her feel. With a grin, Logan lowered his head, his mouth closing around her left breast, his teeth gently biting the nipple.

With a shudder, Rogue lifted herself off the bed, only Logan's weight kept her from moving too far. She moaned loudly as her body sent her mind signals she didn't know how to interpret. The conflicting feelings of a soft, wet tongue compared to a callused, dry hand. Then there was the aching pulse that had centered itself between her legs. Rogue moaned again as Logan switched sides his mouth finding her right breast while his hand tormented the left.

Smelling the thick scent of a thoroughly aroused woman and feeling his own body straining against his tight jeans, Logan moved on. He kissed and licked his way down Rogue's exquisite body, dipping his tongue in her belly button before reaching the waistband of her pants.

Rogue opened her eyes and looked down at Logan when his touch disappeared. He was staring at her with impossibly dark eyes from his position near the foot of the bed. As she watched, Logan reached down and unfastened her jeans then, with his eyes locked on hers, slowly pulled them down over her hips and thighs before tearing them the rest of the way off.

Logan couldn't stop the rumbling growl from deep in his chest as he pulled off Rogue's pants and was assaulted by the smell of arousal. He had to fight himself not to just rip off his own jeans and plunge into her moist center. He couldn't do that, he wouldn't. Instead he closed his eyes and willed his body to calm, ignoring the painful straining of his cock against his jeans. Turning his attention back to Rogue, focusing again on her eyes, Logan slid his hand up the sides of her thighs back toward her waist. He stopped the movement when his left hand encountered something other than perfectly smooth skin. Logan turned his attention to the one remaining scar that marred Marie's body, reverently running a single finger down the length before meeting her eyes again and continuing on. Slipping his fingers into the band of her black lace panties, Logan starting pulling until they came off in his hand. He tossed them aside then returned his hands to her thighs, his eyes caressing her body admiringly.

"You are so beautiful," Logan whispered worshipfully as he crawled back up her body.

"Oh, Logan," she stammered breathlessly, "Ah had no idea touch could feel this good."

"Baby, I haven't even started," he assured her with a grin before lowering his head for another kiss.

Rogue was ready this time, her mouth opening quickly, her tongue plunging up into his. She jumped when Logan's hand smoothed over her flat abdomen then drifted lower into the patch of hair between her legs.

Logan could feel the heat coming from her center even before his hand slipped down that far. Rogue shuddered beneath him as he pressed his hand against her firmly. He waited until she was accustomed to that before spreading her open in search of her clit. Her sharp intake of breath assured him he'd found it, his fingers sliding against it easily due to her wetness. She moaned into his mouth and spread her legs apart shamelessly. Logan pulled his lips away wanting to hear her respond to his touch. An incredibly loud moan immediately issued from her swollen lips.

"Lo-gan," Rogue stuttered his name as his hand continued its onslaught.

"Relax," Logan whispered in her ear, seconds before one long finger slid into her tight opening.

Rogue whimpered at the invasion, her body trembling uncontrollably. "Oh GAWD!"

Working the finger slowly, Logan chuckled. "No, it's just me, Baby." With a smile he returned some attention to her forgotten breasts, nipping and suckling like a baby all the while his hand working against her. She'd already come once, almost immediately when his finger entered her and he felt it building again. "Relax," he ordered again before sliding in a second finger to join the first.

Rogue thought she was going to come apart at the seams when something larger entered her. She shuddered and shook and all coherent thought escaped her as a bright display of light played against her closed lids. Somewhere in the back of her mind she felt Logan's mouth leave her but it didn't register until she felt it again. Opening her eyes she was surprised to find him looking at her from his position between her legs, his tongue working where his thumb had just been.

Logan made her come once more, the sweetest tasting juices he'd ever experienced lathering his tongue. He couldn't help but smile against her as she moaned loudly and shouted his name in broken syllables. He wondered briefly what Professor Xavier would have to say to them in the morning about corrupting the students with their activities. Frankly it wasn't something he cared about at the moment. Pulling away from Rogue he watched her come down, her pale skin still flushed and glowing. Balancing on his knees, he simply stared at her lovingly waiting for her to recover and open her eyes.

Her heart pounding wildly to the pulsing between her legs, Rogue slowly opened her eyes. Logan was staring at her, his eyes caressing her body as his hands and mouth had done only moments before. Wanting to make him feel what he'd just done to her, Rogue shifted weakly to her knees, her hands splaying out across Logan's hairy chest. Conveying her wish for him to lay back by pushing slightly on him, Logan obeyed.

When Logan was lying on his back, one arm bent for his head to rest on, Rogue lowered herself to his side. Logan's breath caught as her silky hair brushed across his chest then stopped all together when her teeth grazed his nipple.

Rogue paused looking up quickly, unsure as to whether she'd hurt him. The look he gave her eased her fears and gave her the courage to continue. After paying equal attention to both nipples, she mimicked Logan's earlier action by running her tongue down the center of his body to his waistband. Her hands were trembling as she slowly eased the zipper down over hard, throbbing flesh.

Following a short fight, Logan helped Rogue remove his jeans, watching her reaction to his arousal. He closed his eyes tightly when a small hand cupped him through the cotton fabric, his hips lifting slightly in response.

Wanting to see him and explore him like Logan had done to her, Rogue wrapped her fingers around the top of his underwear and pulled for all she worth. The fact that Logan's hips were still half an inch off the bed helped in divesting him of the last piece of clothing between them. Rogue didn't waste time just looking but instead carefully raked her fingernails from the base of his rigid staff to the tip before wrapping her fingers around it gently.

Logan growled deep in his chest as she stroked him slowly with one hand, the other examining his balls. He was concentrating so hard on controlling his raging hormones that he nearly jumped out of his skin when a warm, wetness enveloped him.

Starting at the tip, Rogue pulled as much of him as she could into her mouth without gagging then slowly moved back up his hard flesh. She sucked lightly at the head of his cock, her tongue teasing the thin cleft when she was suddenly pulled away.

"You don't have to do that," Logan told her gruffly. Noticing the hurt look in her eyes, he quickly apologized. "I'm sorry, Marie. It's just ... well you don't have to do that."

"Was Ah doin' somethin' wrong?" she asked a complete look of devastation on her features.

Logan berated himself for hurting her. "No, Baby, you weren't doing anything wrong, you were doing too good."

"Ah don't understand," Rogue admitted softly.

"Baby, that's not how I want to cum with you the first time," he told her tenderly. "I want to be inside of you, wrapped up warm and tight."

"Ah want ya inside of me, Logan," she stated almost desperately.

He stared into eyes darker than he was used to, eyes begging for him. "Are you sure, Marie?" he asked the huskiness in his own voice startling him.

Rogue whispered innocently. "Ah've wanted this since Ah first saw ya in that bar in Canada. Ah didn't think that it would ever be possible but now it is. So, yes, Ah'm sure, Ah've never been surer about anythin' in my entire life. Ah love ya, Logan."

"I love you, Marie," he echoed tenderly. "I just don't want you to be disappointed."

"How could Ah be disappointed? Yer here ain't ya?"

Logan met her gaze and once again was hit by the longing in the brown depths. "Do you trust me, Marie?"

Rogue looked a little uncertain what he was getting at but she responded without hesitation. "Course Ah trust ya."

"Marie, this is your first time so it might be uncomfortable, maybe even hurt some," he informed her softly. "If you listen to what I say and try to relax it'll help."

Rogue nodded her understanding then let Logan guide her back to the cushion of the mattress. A gentle knee prompted her to spread her legs and she complied watching as Logan lowered himself down on top of her.

Holding his painful erection in his own hand, Logan slid the tip through her wet folds to lubricate the head. "Tell me if it hurts too much and I'll stop," he assured her, guiding himself to her opening. He watched her face closely for signs of pain as he slowly pushed into her, pausing when Rogue gasped.

Slowly Rogue reached a hand down between them and gently grabbing him, urging him to continue.

Logan swallowed hard and pushed forward a little more, inching into her welcoming warmth. He could feel her muscles tightening around him already. "Relax, Baby," he whispered balancing himself on his arms to kiss her lips.

Rogue fought the urge to cry and concentrated on relaxing as Logan gently pushed deeper into her. A pained moan issued from her lips and Logan froze then started to pull out. Rogue wrapped her arms around him tightly, grabbing his firm ass, "No, don't stop."

Closing his eyes and breathing deeply to keep his concentration, Logan remained completely still waiting for her to adjust to his size. He continued slowly, inching his way into her wet warmth, pausing each time she uttered the slightest sound of pain. At last Logan was buried to the hilt, Rogue's inner walls holding him tightly. He was surprised that he'd been able to maintain his control, normally he didn't have the patience to move that slowly but then this wasn't just anybody, this was Rogue, his Marie and the last thing he wanted was to hurt her, she'd already been hurt enough.

Despite her best efforts, tears slipped silently from Rogue's tightly closed lids. It wasn't that it hurt so much, although it did a little, the tears were more of an emotional release. Here she was with the man she'd loved since she'd first set eyes on him. The man who'd twice saved her life and had promised to protect her. The man whom she thought would never feel the same for her and even if he did she would never feel this because it wasn't possible. Well now it was possible and here they were, in the midst of their first lovemaking. It was almost more than she could take so the tears had come. Lying there as they were with Logan's hard flesh buried deep inside of her, for the first time that she could remember, Rogue felt whole, she felt complete.

Still holding perfectly still, Logan opened his eyes and looked at his lover, startled by the tears spilling down her cheeks. Lowering himself with his arms, careful not to shift his lower body, Logan leaned down and kissed her closed eyes. "Do you want me to stop?" he whispered softly in her ear, a pleading tone to his voice that he'd never heard before.

Rogue opened her eyes and met his gaze. "No, Ah want ya ta make love ta me," she responded evenly. "Ah wanna feel ya movin' inside of me, Logan."

"I don't want to hurt you, Baby," Logan responded holding himself above her with one arm and moving the other hand to wipe at the tears on her face.

"Ya ain't hurtin' me," she assured him. "These are tears of joy, joy that Ah finally have what Ah've always wanted. Ah love ya, Logan."

"I love you too," he returned. "More than I thought possible, Marie."

"Prove it," Rogue demanded shifting her hips slightly beneath him causing them each to moan.

Logan followed the command slowly, pulling himself back slightly before surging forward again. He studied Rogue's face as she gasped but her expression wasn't pained so he continued moving within her.

The act was nothing like she'd excepted having only experienced it from the other side through Logan's memories. Rogue hadn't expected it to feel so good; it wasn't hard to ignore the pain when the pleasure so far outweighed it. She repeatedly moaned Logan's name as his rock hard member slid in and out of her. Opening her eyes she found Logan staring down at her, his eyes darker than the night, his expression full of love and passion. Something strong and powerful was building within her and she could see it too on her lover's face. Drawing on the experiences he'd given her with his lifesaving touch, Rogue wrapped her arms around his back, lightly raking her nails down his back.

A pleasured growl issued from Logan's throat and he almost lost his rhythm as Rogue's fingernails dug into his back. He forced his eyes to remain opened and locked on her face as he felt the surge building. Her body tightened around him and he groaned her name over and over like a mantra.

Rogue's heart was pounding wildly and she was finding it increasingly hard to breathe as she felt her body tremble, her stomach tightening. Staring up at Logan as he moaned and growled her name, his face a mask of pained pleasure. Spreading her legs farther apart and bracing her feet against the mattress, Rogue pushed her hips up to meet Logan's as he thrust into her. The deeper penetration sent a ripple of pain through her body but she ignored it and continued to push herself against him.

With Rogue's added activities, Logan was quickly losing his battle to hold off. Her moaning was growing louder and his sounds of pleasure grew in volume to match. Increasing his speed but careful to control his force, Logan moved with her bringing them both closer to the edge. Feeling himself start to fall off, he moved a hand between them and in her slick folds found the small bundle of nerves just above their joined bodies.

Rogue gasped, her body shuddered, and she screamed his name as Logan's thumb raked over her clit. She could no longer even think straight as her eyes drifted shut for a multicolored light show. Her entire body felt like it was on fire but it was not unpleasant, in fact it was the most pleasant sensation she'd ever felt. As Logan slammed into her one last time, shouting her name loudly, her pleasure doubled as she felt a warm rush inside of her, his pulsating flesh still buried to the hilt.

Logan's orgasm was more powerful then he was prepared for. He shook uncontrollably, every muscle in his body screaming with release. Collapsing onto his side and rolling onto his back, Rogue still attached to him, Logan held her tightly against his chest, their hearts beating and their bodies throbbing in time.

For a long time they just laid there, not moving except for the heaving rise and fall of the their chests and not making a sound except for their ragged breathing. They just laid there, like two boneless masses, Rogue's smaller body resting comfortably atop Logan's.

His heart rate and breathing finally returning to normal, Logan lowered his head to kiss the top of Marie's head. "Are you all right?" he asked tenderly praying that he hadn't hurt her.

Rogue didn't respond to the question because she was too caught up in what she was feeling to even hear it. Her eyes closed, she was revealing in the feel of Logan's now softening member still buried in her, her fingers curling around the sweaty hair on his chest.

Worried by her lack of response, Logan start to shift his position and slide out of her. She quickly objected with a grunt. "Don't move," Rogue ordered firmly a dreamy tone to her voice. "Ah wanna just stay like this fo'ever."

Logan laughed a loud, humor filled laugh that made Rogue tremble as his body moved. "I don't think Chuck would approve of us going about our daily business attached in such a way."

Rogue laughed then too. "Well then Ah wanna spend every night like this, how's that?"

"I wouldn't have it any other way," he assured her hooking a finger under her chin and pulling her up for a kiss.

As they kissed each other playfully, Logan's hand drifted down her back and across her ass before moving down to the single scar that remained, a single reminder of the horrible attack that turned into a precious gift.
This story archived at http://wolverineandrogue.com/wrfa/viewstory.php?sid=1983