Prom Night at Mutant High by J Marie T
Summary: Before, during and after the prom. This story takes place several months after the events in the movie.
Categories: X1 Characters: None
Genres: Shipper
Tags: None
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 15897 Read: 2450 Published: 10/12/2000 Updated: 10/12/2000

1. Prom Night at Mutant High by J Marie T

Prom Night at Mutant High by J Marie T
A lone woman stood perched on the windblown balcony staring out into the distance as though she was looking for someone, someone important. It was a cool night but she didn't seem to notice the chill in the air swirling around her, it was unimportant and therefore unnoticed. Standing there, as she did most nights, she prayed to some unseen entity that things would somehow change back to the way they used to be. Her existence had been hard enough before but now it was nearly impossible to bear. She wanted nothing more than to end her pain and suffering not to mention ease the fears of those around her.

The wind howled again, a sudden gust pushing the heavy cloak away from a youthful face. Dark auburn hair, with an unexpected streak of white, danced around the woman's face. Rogue closed her eyes and concentrated on the air's gentle caress for it was all she would ever feel. No one would touch her again, certainly not anyone here.

There were the few that tried to pretend it didn't make a difference, Jean, Ororo, Professor Xavier, even Scott. Then there was Bobby. He'd been the first to really greet her, welcoming her to the school with a cute smile. They had all tried to be there for her but when someone looks at you with fear in their eyes it isn't much of a comfort.

Bobby was really the only one that didn't show any fear but Rogue refused to get close to him. First off he resembled David a little too much and secondly, she wasn't going to let him get tied to someone he could never have. On top of all of that, Rogue saw Bobby as someone so much younger than her. In actuality Bobby was several months older than she was but in taking Wolverine's powers, Rogue had also taken his memories, the sum of his experience. That aftereffect left her with thoughts, feelings and memories that no eighteen-year-old girl should ever have had.

A flash of a conversation that had taken place nearly a month ago now flashed through her mind. As the prom, for the students of Mutant High, was approaching, Bobby had asked Rogue to attend with him. The look of excitement and hope in his eyes had reaffirmed her position on the matter. She had politely refused the invitation before encouraging him to ask Kitty or Jubilee instead. The look of disappointment ate at her but she knew it was for the best.



Professor Charles Xavier maneuvered his motorized wheel chair into the meeting room nestled beneath the mansion he maintained as a school. Making his way to the table where his first three students were waiting, Professor X gave them each an appraising glance.

As always, Scott Summers wore an unreadable expression on the part of his face which was visible below the black and red glasses he wore. In the years that Scott had been at the school, the professor had learned to read the almost imperceptible changes in his facial features without having to resort to reading his mind. At the moment, Scott was concerned they all were, that's way they were there.

To his right sat Jean Grey, the professor's assistant and protégé. The beautiful telekinetic also had the potential to read other's thoughts, a trait she shared with Xavier. Jean's concern was plain, etched deep into her face and prominent in her eyes.

Beside her sat Ororo Munroe. The ebony skinned beauty was even less adept at hiding her worry than Jean. The fact that she was fidgeting in her seat uncomfortably was an indicator if the look on her face wasn't enough.

"Thank you all for coming," Charles began as he reached the table.

"It's time," Jean stated her features carrying a degree of guilt. "Maybe it should have happened a lot sooner."

"Perhaps you're right, Jean," the professor agreed. "I assumed it would run it's course and things would return to normal but clearly that isn't happening."

"It's getting worse," Ororo commented. "It scares me that she's closed herself off to the extent she has."

"We didn't think the effects would last this long," Jean admitted with a snort. "Like we had anyway to gauge it."

Sensing his fiancée's guilt over the situation, Scott quickly spoke up. "It doesn't matter what we could have done differently, what matters is what we do now."

"Scott's right," Ororo agreed. "The important thing is finding a way to bring her back."

"I'm afraid that may not be impossible, Storm," Xavier informed her.

"What are you saying?" Jean wanted to know.

"We're all looking upon Rogue as an eighteen-year-old girl," he started to explain. "We're judging her actions on that basis but the truth is, she's much more than that. When Logan touched her up there on the Statue of Liberty, Rogue not only took his power to heal but also shared in his experiences, at least the ones he can remember. She now possesses his loneliness on top of her own."

Nearly seven months had passed since Rogue had been kidnapped by Magneto and forced to participate in his plan to mutate the world's leaders. In the end the X-Men were able to stop the brotherhood and foil the attempt but not before Rogue was seriously drained of power. Feeling that he'd failed in his promise to protect her, Wolverine had selflessly touched the young woman's face, bringing her back to life. As soon as Rogue regained consciousness she'd pushed him away but not soon enough. She had taken a huge portion of his power to heal, critically injuring him in the process. Eventually Logan recovered from his wounds and took off in search of the secrets of his past but the damage had been done.

"It's no wonder she's separated herself from everyone," Jean realized. "As far back as Logan could remember, he'd always been a loner with no one he could trust. Rogue's projecting that trait and pushing people who really care about her away."

"That's not the only trait of his she's projecting," Scott muttered. It wasn't that he didn't like Rogue because he did but it was becoming increasingly difficult to overlook some of the teen's offenses.

"You're right, Scott," the professor agreed with a nod. "And that's why we're here."

"I don't see how we can change anything," Jean offered sadly. "Its not like we can just go into her mind and take those experiences away from her. They're part of her now and even if there was a way she'd never agree to it."

Ororo was nodding. "Jean's right, Rogue would never give up Logan's presence in her mind, it's too much a part of her now."

"That's not what I'm suggesting," Xavier informed them. "I believe what we must do is work harder to break through that metallic shell she's built."

"We've been trying," Ororo reminded him. "I don't see what else we can do."

"Maybe that's just it," Scott ventured. "Maybe it's not what we have to do."

"What do you mean, Scott?" Jean asked gently probing his mind.

Feeling her presence in his head, Scott turned his covered eyes toward his fiancée. "I think maybe the only person who can make a difference here isn't here."

"I've spent a lot of time considering that option myself, Scott," Professor X assured him. "While I believe that may be the ultimate solution, I hesitate to cut his search short. Logan left Rogue in our care and until he returns it is our responsibility to care for her and protect her. That includes opening her eyes to the fact that she doesn't have to be alone."



The wind still blowing her hair wildly, Rogue tried to force the images of frightened eyes out of her head. When the children at the school had seen what she'd done to Wolverine after he'd impaled her, everyone acted as though she were plagued. It worsened once word got out about what happened on the Statue of Liberty. The X-Men tried to provide support but she could still see the fear in their eyes when they looked at her. Logan had been the only one who understood what she was going through, she wished for the millionth time that he were there. She needed someone to talk to, someone who would understand and not judge her, someone who cared.

Closing her eyes she lifted her hand to her chest feeling the chain she wore around her neck even through her top, cloak and gloves. Rogue swallowed hard picturing Logan as he'd placed the necklace in her hand and gently wrapped her fingers around it.

"I'll be back for that," he assured her in a gruff yet tender tone.

"When?" Rogue whispered into the wind as though he was standing right in front of her. She could still feel him in her head, still craved a good cigar and a beer, and still wasn't particularly fond of Cyclopes although she wasn't sure why.

"Rogue?"

The soft, gentle voice calling from the doorway behind her was easily recognizable. Rogue turned slowly to face Jean Grey, a tired look overtaking her eyes.

"Is everything all right?" Jean asked concern heavy in her tone.

Rogue just stared at the older woman for a moment. "Ah was just lookin' at the stars," she finally offered, at least it was partially true. "And thinkin'," she added after a long pause.

"Anything you want to talk about?" Jean asked offering to listen. Professor X had been counseling Rogue and he'd made some progress but they both felt that Rogue could use a woman to talk to.

"Not really," Rogue responded evenly, her voice soft and gentle.

Jean couldn't imagine what she was going through. "I was wondering," she began a sudden idea striking her as she considered how to get the young woman to open up, "would you like to come shopping with me and Ororo tomorrow?"

Rogue's eyes shifted to meet Jean's and for the first time since the "incident", as they called it, she saw no fear in the woman's eyes, only concern. "Ah ain't much of a shopper."

"Are you sure? Ororo's going to help me shop around for a wedding dress," Jean informed her hoping to evoke some interest.

The idea intrigued Rogue. Shopping for a wedding dress of her own was something she was certain she'd never do thanks to her inability to touch. Maybe this was the next best thing. At the very least she'd be able to spend a little time with the X-Men women. "It does sound kinda fun."

"Great," Jean replied with a genuine smile. "We'll be leaving around seven-thirty."

"Ah'll be ready," Rogue assured her with a small smile of her own, her first in months.

"Good night, Rogue," the telekinetic said before heading off toward the room she shared with Scott.

"Night," the teen responded wondering what Logan would think when he got back and found out that Jean and Scott were going to get married. She realized with a sad heart that it wouldn't make a difference for her anyway. Logan considered her a kid, someone to protect like a sister or a daughter. Feeling the threat of tears, Rogue closed her eyes tightly willing them away. Once she'd regained control she opened them again and made her way back into the mansion.

With a heavy sigh she walked toward her bedroom, well, Logan's bedroom actually but the professor had agreed she could sleep there until he returned. Slipping into the room where she'd first touched the man who'd twice saved her life by risking his own, Rogue peeled off her cloak and hung it beside the door. As always she took a deep breath just after entering, Wolverine's scent still noticeable in the room. To some people it might have been considered overpowering or unpleasant, the combination of sweat and cigar smoke, but to her the smell was comforting.

Removing her gloves without conscious effort, Rogue tossed them onto the nightstand as she reached for her brush. Moving to the mirror on the dresser, she gazed at the woman staring back at her. She didn't think she looked all that different than when she arrived but it was pretty obvious by people's reaction that they thought she did. Her face was perhaps a little thinner, her lips a tad fuller and the curves of her body a bit more defined. In general though the only difference she really noticed were in the streaks of white hair at her bangs and the look in her eyes. They were no longer those of a frightened girl but rather of an experienced woman. She could see things in her head that she'd never seen and had done things that she'd never done but she remembered doing them. The worst of it was having the memories of what it was like to touch another person and hold them, to kiss them and make love with them. Those were things that she would never truly feel.

Again forcing back tears, Rogue turned away from the woman in the mirror. She quickly ran the brush through her hair before placing it again on the bedside table. Stripping down to nothing except Wolverine's dog tags Rogue changed into the skimpy nightgown she'd taken to wearing then slid in between the sheets pulling them tight around her. Turning her head she deeply inhaled Logan's scent again from his pillow, wrapping her arms around it as she longed to wrap her arms around him. Within a few minutes of falling asleep she was right where she wanted to be.



"You look awfully happy," Scott Summers observed as his fiancée enter the bedroom they shared.

"I am," Jean assured him stopping at his side and placing a kiss on the top of his head.

"Care to share?" Scott asked with a chuckle. It was great to see Jean back to her usual self.

Dropping onto the bed beside him, Jean wrapped her arms around him before resting her head on his shoulder. "I'd love to share, my darling," she practically sang. "I just asked Rogue to go shopping with Storm and I tomorrow and, believe it or not, she agreed."

Scott couldn't help but smile at Jean's enthusiasm. "That's great news," he responded relieved that Rogue was starting to open up again. "Anything specific you're shopping for?"

"Maybe," she said coyly. "I thought it would be nice to help Rogue pick out a dress for her formal."

"I didn't think she was going to go," Scott objected. "I heard Bobby ask her to go with him and she turned him down saying she wasn't going at all."

"I'm hoping that buying her a dress will change her mind. I know she doesn't have anything to wear and I think that's at least a small part of it," Jean stated confidently.

Scott gave his lover a concerned look. "I hope you're not setting yourself up for disappointment. Rogue has been through a lot the last few weeks, hell the last six months. It's hard to believe that she's only eighteen."

Jean nodded slowly agreeing. "I know what you mean. Maybe for, her chronological age shouldn't be the determining factor. After all she's gotten more than one lifetime of experiences in her head already."

A long silence ensued as the couple just sat together considering what their young friend had been through in such a short amount of time. It was Scott who finally broke the silence. After months of worrying, Jean seemed happy and he wanted to keep her that way.

"So," he began drawing out the 'o', "did you plan on shopping for a dress too?"

Knowing what kind of a dress he was hoping she was shopping for, Jean took the opportunity to play a little. "I'm not sure yet. I can't think of anything I need a new dress for but you never know, something might just jump out and grab me."

"You know, there is one thing coming up for which you might need a new dress," Scott reminded her.

"Really?" Jean asked pretending to be straining her brain for what he was referring to. "Is this something I know about?"

Scott's eyes narrowed, not that Jean could tell behind his mirrored sunglasses. Reaching out he took her left hand in his and gently fingered the diamond engagement ring there. "How soon they forget," he played along with her.

"Oh," Jean exclaimed, "right. I did almost forget about that."

"Then I guess I better remind you," Scott said alluringly as he leaned into Jean's body, using his own to force her back onto the mattress then covering her.



A lone vehicle occupied the snow-covered road late into the night. The man operating the motorcycle preferred to travel at night, perhaps it had something to do with his animalistic tendencies. He'd always considered himself a nocturnal animal, at least as far back as he could remember.

As the first streams of light started to signify the dawning of a new day, a small town appeared out in the distance. Logan considered his location in comparison to his destination. He had no more than six hours of driving ahead of him so he expertly pulled the motorcycle into the parking lot of the local motel and propped it up on it's stand. He stood up and stretch out the kinks that always accompanied him on long rides. Maybe it was his age catching up with him, it was possible except for the fact that had no idea how old he was.

With a growl of irritation, Logan pulled his bag from the bike and headed for the office. Inside he found exactly what he'd expected, a dive just like every other place he'd stay in since he'd left Xavier's mansion. Thoughts of the school for mutant children and the team know as X-Men stirred something in him. It happened every time he thought about that place. It was like he finally felt like he actually belonged somewhere.

"Can I help you?" the grizzled old man behind the counter asked as Logan moved inside.

"A room," he grumbled figuring the old buzzard should have been able to figure that out.

"You're in luck," the man said with a toothless smile, "I have one room left."

"Lucky me," Logan retorted dryly.

"That'll be forty-five dollars plus tax," the night clerk informed him holding up a key just out of reach.

With a snort, Logan dug into his pocket and pulled out what money he had left. Depositing the appropriate amount on the counter he reached for the key.

"And a twenty dollar room deposit," the goat of a man added on.

Irritated by the increasing amount, Wolverine let a low growl rumble from his throat.

The old man's eyes widened in fear at the feral sound. "Did I say there was a deposit?" he asked dropping the key on the counter in front of Logan. "I was just Teisan' ya there, son."

Logan just stared at the man with fire burning in his eyes. He wasn't someone you wanted to tease, especially when he was tired. Picking up the key he shot the man a final glare and headed out to find his room.

After moving his bike, well Scott's bike actually, to the space in front of his room, he unlocked the door to his shit hole for the night. The room was foul by human standards but to his heightened olfactory senses it was almost unbearable. A quick search of the room provided the source of the stench. His nose buried in his leather jacket at the crook of his elbow, Logan reached under the bed and pulled out the rotting corpse of the biggest rat he'd ever seen and promptly flung it outside with all his strength. With the door opened the room started to air out almost immediately. Opening the window in the bathroom helped further although it did nothing to conserve what little heat the room afforded.

When the odor had dissipated to a tolerable level, Logan closed the door and the window with a grunt of disgust. Still in the bathroom he was surprised that is was halfway clean considering the rest of the place. Even the towel was relatively clean, now if there was only some hot water. Again Logan was surprised and pleased as he pulled off his clothes and stepped in under the hot spray of the shower. He stood there for a long time just letting the water caress his body before he grabbed the soap and washed.

Stepping out of the shower, Logan took up the towel and quickly dried himself off. He wrapped the towel around his waist and headed for the bed. After stopping by the bag he'd brought in, he pulled out a thick blanket he carried with him for just that sort of occasion. Folding the blanket around his body he laid down on top of the covers on the bed and tried to get comfortable.

Closing his eyes he waited for the images he knew where coming ... they came every night. They weren't the images that caused his nightmares, these images were different but disturbing none the less. The images in question centered around a wheel-chair bound man and his group of mutant heroes; the hair-raising, weather-bender, Storm, the beautiful, bodacious redhead, Jean and that arrogant little prick, Cyclopes.

Behind closed lids he watched the events as they'd happened months before. It was like it had been since the first night, reliving the battle with Magneto and his band of baddies. Fighting Sabertooth on the Statue of Liberty, hearing Rogue's screams of panic and pain. As it always was, at the forefront of the images was the terrified, terribly alone young woman with no one and nothing except for a gift that was so powerful she couldn't touch another living soul. Logan saw himself standing there in the whirling rings, watching as Rogue's life slipped away, her hair turning white before his eyes and him unable to stop it as Magneto controlled the metal running through his body.

His eyes snapped opened and his throat constricted at the memory. Even now, awake with his eyes opened, Logan could see that precious girl dying. That was the nightmare that haunted him now. It was ten times more terrifying than the horrific flashes of what had been done to him. He'd lived a long life, a hell of a lot longer than he could remember by a long shot. But watching Rogue die, he couldn't think of a worse thing. Actually there was something worse, Rogue dying by his hand. Ever since the horrible night when he'd awakened to find his claws piercing her chest, Logan had relived that every night.

Logan settled back again on the bed and closed his eyes. It was the nightly ritual, first he'd relive what he had finally been able to stop then he could sleep and dream of better things. They were things he wanted but knew he could never have, still it didn't hurt to dream, as long as no one else knew. A smile playing at the corners of his mouth, Logan slipped into a deep sleep and into the arms of the only woman who would ever understand him.



Back at the mansion in New York, Rogue shifted in her sleep, pulling the pillow closer as Logan pulled her tighter in her dream.

Rogue smiled up at Logan as he lightly ran his fingers up and down the bare skin at her side. It was his special way of waking her up each morning, tickling her lightly into consciousness. It wasn't something they took for granted, being able to touch each other. That was something they would never take for granted.

"Good morning, Beautiful," Logan greeted with a wink before placing a light kiss on her forehead.

"Mornin', Handsome," Rogue returned sweetly returning his gesture by kissing his powerful torso.

"What shall we teach the geeks today?" Logan asked her with a gleam in his eyes and a mischievous grin.

Rogue's smile broadened and her eyes took on a personality of their own. "Ah say we let the geeks muddle through on their own today and we stay right here."

Logan's eyebrow arched playfully as he rolled over with the quickness of a cat pinning his lover beneath him. "I like the way you think, Rogue," he growled before nuzzling her neck with a series of kisses.

She sighed at the feeling his lips produced on her skin. It was beyond anything she'd imagined.

"Rogue?"

"Hmm?"



"Rogue?"

Realizing that the voice she was hearing wasn't Logan's, Rogue snapped awake. A soft knock on the door drew her attention there.

"Come in," Rogue called pulling on a robe and her gloves.

"Good morning," Jean greeted from the doorway. "I was just checking to see when you'd be ready."

"Ah'm sorry, Ah overslept," the teen explained working to clear her mind of the residual images of Logan from her dream. That was the last thing she needed Jean getting a glimpse of.

"That's all right, I did a little oversleeping myself this morning," Jean admitted, a bit of a blush rising in her cheeks.

"Ah just need ta get dressed, Ah won't be long," Rogue insisted moving toward her dresser.

"We'll meet you down stairs then," Jean said before closing the door.



Before long the three women were making their way into a nearby mall for a good old dose of shopping. Rogue felt like, for the first time in a long time, things might just work out. The smile on her face gave her away.

"I can't remember seeing Rogue happier," Jean commented to Storm as they followed along behind the teen.

"It's about time something good happened to that girl," Storm voiced her opinion.

"She's not a girl any longer, Storm," Jean corrected. "Have you taken a good look at her lately."

"I guess so," the African woman agreed. "Aside from her natural changes, taking all of Logan's memories had to have corrupted the poor thing." Storm had to stifle a laugh. "Although it was pretty funny watching her needle Scott."

"Storm," Jean chided fighting a losing battle to stop a smile of her own.

"You thought so too," Storm accused having caught the expression.

"Don't tell Scott," Jean begged by way of admission.

A short distance up the mall, Rogue stopped as she spotted at a dress through a shop window. The dress, fitted on a mannequin, was full length but slit up the right side nearly to the thigh. The fabric clung to the made-made curves with a grace all it's own. The bodice was formfitting and low cut. A dress like that wouldn't leave much to the imagination. The multiple straps were sewn at varying angles to crisscross the shoulders. To top it off, it was Rogue's favorite color, deep emerald green.

"Isn't that beautiful?" Storm asked as she and Jean stopped behind the teen.

"Let's take a closer look," Jean demanded gently pulling Rogue into motion and into the store.

The trio entered the shop and immediately turned to see the rest of the dress they'd been admiring in the storefront. The back of the bodice plunged down into a steep V shape the bottom on which almost reached the waist.

Rogue had never seen anything more beautiful in her entire life. She was dumbfounded by the simple elegance of the garment.

"You should try it on, Rogue," Jean encouraged knowing how much she liked the garment.

"Why?" the young woman asked, confusion changing the shape of her face.

"It would make a great prom dress," Ororo suggested. Jean had informed her of the plan to get Rogue to go to the dance by finding her a dress.

Turning Rogue shook her head. "Even if Ah was going to go, which Ah'm not, Ah'm sure it's too expensive," she said sadly.

"Nothing's too expense, Rogue," Jean insisted with a grin, "I've got Scott's credit card."

"Thank you for the offer but it isn't necessary."

"No one said it was necessary, Rogue," Ororo stated. "It's just something we want to do for you."

"It can't hurt to at least try it on," Jean encouraged digging through the nearby rack for one Rogue's size. "Here."

Tentatively Rogue took the offered garment but didn't move to the fitting room. "But Ah'm not going to go tanight," she reminded them, "it would just be a waste of money."

"It doesn't cost anything to try it on, Rogue," Storm stated with a smile.

"Awl rahght," she conceded, "Ah'll try it on."

"Great," Jean said happily as she and Ororo followed her to a fitting room.

The two of them looked at the other garments the shop had offer but neither of them ventured to far from the room Rogue occupied. They didn't want to miss seeing the spectacular dress on the lovely young woman. Jean did disappear briefly only to show up a few minutes later with a pair of long sleeved gloves the same color as the dress Rogue was trying on.

Finally having gotten the thing on, Rogue studied her appearance in the mirror supplied in the small room. She was shocked by what she saw there, she was no longer a girl. For the first time she noticed the curves that had seemingly cropped up over night and which the boys at school had immediately noticed. Had it not been for the white patch of hair at her bangs she might have thought she was standing in front of a two-way mirror and was actually looking at someone else.

"Rogue?" Jean's voice carried through the door of the dressing room. "How are you doing?"

In lieu of a response she simply reached out and opened the door. The expressions on the faces of those outside mirrored what her own had been only moments before. Both women stared openly at the woman before them, as now there was no mistaking it, Rogue was no longer a little girl.

"Try these," Jean suggested handing Rogue the green gloves she'd picked up after shaking herself out of her shock.

Carefully the young woman took the gloves and quickly pulled them on. They stretched midway up her biceps leaving only a small portion of her arm bare.

"You look incredible," Storm breathed softly. "You have got to get that for tonight, Rogue, you just have to."

Jean was nodding swiftly. "Ororo's right, Rogue, you need to get that dress."

Rogue glanced down at herself then shifted her gaze to Jean. "Ah really don't think Ah'm goin' to go tanight. Ah'd rather just stay in my room and read."

"How about this?" Jean began. "Let me get you the dress just in case. If you don't change your mind and go to the formal, I can always return the dress."

Rogue considered that for a moment. She really did want to go to the dance but what was the point no one would dance with her. That wasn't exactly true, Bobby had asked her to go with him but she didn't want to give him the wrong idea by saying she would so she turned him down. Bobby was a nice enough boy, she really liked him as a friend but she felt he was after more and even if it was possible, he wasn't what she wanted.

"Are ya sure that ya can return it if Ah don't go?" Rogue asked wanting to know for sure she could.

"Excuse me, Miss," Jean called the sales woman over. "We're thinking about purchasing this dress, if it turns out we don't need it will there be a problem returning it?"

"Not at all," the clerk assured her with a smile. "Just make sure that you have your receipt and that the tags are still on the garment."

"Thank you," Jean said dismissing the woman before turning back to Rogue with an expectant look on her face.

"Will ya promise not ta try and pressure me into goin' tanight if Ah say yes?" was her next question.

"Rogue," Storm's tone conveyed her shock, "surely you know we would never try to pressure you into doing something you didn't want to do."

"We promise," Jean interrupted. "Rogue, I just want you to be able to go if you decide you want to and I think this dress if perfect for you."

Rogue considered the situation for another moment before making up her mind. "Okay, if yer sure it's not too expensive."

"I am."

With that Rogue smiled before moving back into the dressing room to change back into her regular clothes. A few minutes later she rejoined the others, the dress hanging limply across her arm.

"Let's get these then we can go find you some shoes," Jean said taking the garment carefully from Rogue.



In a motel room to the north, Logan shifted position in his sleep, groaning softly in response to the dream images his unconscious mind was creating.

The feel of a silky smooth hand on his chest brought him awake as it always did. Logan opened his eyes and stared into the lovely pair watching him. Quirking his eyebrow as though annoyed, he smiled as his bedmate continued her feather soft caress of his torso.

Logan took her face in his hands and pulled her toward him, planting a firm kiss on her inviting lips. She responded immediately opening her mouth to seductively lick his lips. With a groan he plunged his tongue against hers in an intimate tango as he flipped over, pinning her on her back underneath his heavier frame.

"Make love to me, Logan," his lover whispered her voice husky with lust.

"For you anything, my love," he responded breathlessly moving to carry out her wish.

In a flash the beautiful image of the couple's love was replaced by a sickening gasp of pain. Logan stared in horror and shock at the foot long claws of his left hand and at the young woman whose chest they pierced.

"Help," Logan cried out in terror. "Please someone help!"

"Help!" Logan screamed as he bolted upright in bed with his heart pounding from the dream-turned-nightmare.

With a growl he willed his mind to calm and his body to relax. It was the same every night, the dream of what he wanted and could never have becoming a replay of events he'd wished he could change. Sometime he felt like a dirty old man for having those dreams but he did nothing to discourage them, he couldn't that was all he had.

Throwing off the blanket that covered him, Logan wondered briefly what Scott Summers would think of his dreams. Would he be relieved that it wasn't Jean that he dreamed of or would he think even less of him knowing that it was Rogue? The truth was that Logan flirted with Jean because she was safe, she didn't want him but then he didn't want her either. What he wanted was way too young and vulnerable and God was she ever beautiful ... and entirely unattainable. Not only was she young enough to be his daughter, at the very least, but she was also an untouchable. He'd managed to touch her twice and twice nearly died for it.

Rising from the bed, Logan folded up his blanket, replacing it in his bag before quickly dressing. He had answers to find and he wasn't going to find them there. Within minutes he was kicking Scott's motorcycle to life and heading out once again.



Scott Summers surveyed the ballroom with a critical eye as he oversaw a group of students working on the decorations for the evening's party. Professor Charles Xavier, the founder of the school for mutant children, had planned most of the evening himself, with Storm and Jean's help. The purpose of the gathering was to celebrate the end of another school year and to congratulate the graduating class. It was the annual spring formal, a time for the students to dress up and let loose.

His mind drifting since everything seemed to be under control, Scott focused his thoughts on one teen in particular. Like many of the students at the school, Rogue had been a runaway with no place to go and no one to look after her. Actually that wasn't entirely true, Rogue had hooked up with Logan before finding herself at the school, not that he believed Wolverine would have continued to take care of the teen. That guy was definitely a piece of work who didn't seem to give a damn about anything except himself.

Sighing deeply, Scott put Logan out of his mind. The guy was gone so he wouldn't be putting the moves on Jean anymore. Losing his motorcycle was certainly the lesser of two heartbreaks. He could get over losing the bike, although he hadn't yet, losing Jean would have been unbearable.

With a shake of his head, Scott went back to wondering if tonight's party would prove to set things in motion to bring Rogue back. He truly hoped that Rogue would see that she wasn't as feared or as alone as she seemed to think she was.



After spending the rest of the morning looking through every bridal store in town, Jean, Storm and Rogue shared a leisurely lunch at a nice restaurant then returned to the mansion to prepare for the evening's festivities. By the time they drove home it was getting on toward evening and soon the hallways of the mansion would be filled with formally dressed teens and laughter.

Smiling as she recalled her day, Rogue made her way up the stairs to her room, the heavy garment bag weighing her down. If nothing else the day had been a good one. She felt closer to Jean and Storm after spending some time alone with them away from school.

Reaching her room, Rogue hung the heavy garment bag on the hook beside the door and moved to the bed. She sat down keeping her attention focussed on the plastic bag picturing the dress inside. She still wasn't certain what had made her agree to even try the thing on much less let Jean buy it for her. Deep down she knew it was because she wanted to go to the prom, wanted to feel like she belonged with the other teens but she didn't. It seemed like, overnight, all the things that Bobby or Kitty or Jubilee or any of the others had done that she'd found so amusing now seemed childish.

Deciding not to dwell on what she couldn't explain, Rogue rose from the bed and headed for the door. A long walk in the gardens always seemed to help clear her mind. That wasn't truly accurate, it didn't so much help clear her mind as focus it on a certain subject.

Taking a deep breath as she walked amongst the flowers and shrubs, Rogue closed her eyes and enjoyed the clean smell of the air. She could remember once being able to pick out the various odors as easily as most people could pick out the difference in colors. Another of the traits she'd inherited from Logan. She wasn't particularly sorry when the enhanced sense of smell started to fade but losing the other super-sharp senses was another story. Possessing Logan's extraordinary vision and hearing had been great. With them Rogue could see and hear things from such a distance that she felt almost like she could read minds.

As always when she thought of Logan her hand moved up to the chain laying around her neck and the small tag dangling from it. Since the moment he'd left she'd wore his dog tags around her neck and had yet to take them off. Even when she showered the necklace stayed in place.

Rogue continued her leisurely meandering, her gloved hand holding the metal tag as she concentrated on Logan. Seeing him for the first time, like a caged animal, fighting for money. Watching as his claws sprang out poised at the throat of man who'd been intent on killing him. His face when he discovered her in the trailer he was pulling behind his truck. The horror in his eyes when he realized that he'd impaled her with his claws. How he came after her at the train station and vowed to take care of her. The reluctant look on his handsome features when he'd placed his tag in her hand and closed her fingers around it assuring her that he'd be back.

She had no idea how long she'd been walking when it hit her that it had been long enough. Starting back toward the mansion, Rogue increased her pace to a near jog. She slowed as she reached the door and stated inside. Rogue realized that it had to be later than she had thought since the hallway was full of formally dressed teens, talking and laughing as they made their way toward the large ballroom.

"Rogue," a shout from up the stairs drew her attention.

Turning her gaze that way, Rogue wasn't surprised to find Bobby, Kitty, John and Jubilee waving at her as they hurried downstairs. "Hi," she greeted as the four teens stopped in front of her.

"How are you doing?" Kitty asked with a friendly smile.

"Fine," Rogue responded. "Y'all look great tanight."

"Thanks," Jubilee accepted for the group. "You know we're all still hoping that you'll change your mind and come too."

"It'd be great if you did," Bobby agreed. "It won't be the same without you."

Rogue quickly looked away. The part of her that really wanted to go was starting to gain ground. "Thank you, Bobby, but Ah don't know. Ah'm not much of a dancer."

"So just listen to the music," Kitty suggested, "I'm sure you wouldn't be the only one."

Jubilee giggled. "Yeah, can you imagine Doug dancing?"

The four teens shared a good laugh over that. Rogue finally joined them a beat later as she could indeed image it.

"Well, we better get going," Bobby informed his friends, his tone a little sad. "We'll maybe see you later, Rogue."

"I hope you change your mind," Jubilee added.

"Think about it," Kitty begged before the four turned and left.

Rogue watched them disappear down the hallway before starting up the stairs. It was almost eerie to have the halls so quiet, normally there was always something going on. As she traversed the stairs, Rogue did consider donning the dress Jean had bought, with Scott's credit card none the less.

Shaking her head as she entered her room she sat down on the bed then stretched out on her back. A million thoughts were running through her mind as she lay there. Kitty, John, Jubilee and Bobby all wanted her to go to the dance. She also knew that Jean, Ororo and the professor hoped to see her there. She wondered however what the rest of the teens would think if she went.

Turning her head to the side, Rogue stared at the garment bag once again. After a few minutes she made her decision, for better or worse.



Down in the ballroom, Jean Grey searched the crowd for one face in particular but as of yet hadn't found it. The door opening across the room drew her attention and she held her breath as Bobby and John escorted Kitty and Jubilee in. Jean's heart sank that it wasn't Rogue.

"Hey," a soft voice sounded in a tender whisper next to her ear as an arm wrapped around her waist from behind, "don't look so sad. The night's not over yet."

Jean pulled away slightly and turned to look at Scott.

"She may still change her mind," Scott stated working to keep his voice level even though he doubted it would happen.

"Since when can you read minds?" Jean asked with a spark of love in her eyes.

Scott smiled. "Since you started worrying about Rogue."

Jean's expression saddened. "Have I been that obsessed?"

"Not all the time," Scott responded. It was the truth after all, he didn't think she worried about Rogue in her sleep.

"I'm sorry, Scott," Jean apologized, "I didn't realize I was letting it get to me that much."

"Don't worry about it, Jean. You were concerned about a friend, a young woman who's been through a lot. It's part of who you are and part of what I love you for."



Jean smiled a half-smile as she leaned over and kissed Scott on the cheek. "And that's part of why I love you."

Upstairs, Rogue stared at the woman in her mirror. Her heart pounded as she stood there, wondering if she'd made the right decision after all. She was considering changing her mind when she was startled by a knock on her door. Knowing it was Jean or Ororo or Professor Xavier, come to try to talk her into changing her mind, Rogue crossed her arms over her chest and called for them to enter.

Slowly the door started to open and Rogue waited to see who the designee was. As it turned out it wasn't at all who she thought it would be. Her heart skipped a beat as she recognized the man standing shell-shocked in the doorway.

"Logan," she whispered. She blinked her eyes several times at the image before her. It had to be a dream it couldn't have possibly really been Logan. The man before her was the same height and size but he looked different. Aside from the black tuxedo with emerald green accents, the man was clean-shaven and had obviously recently had a hair cut. The real clincher however was the awe-struck look on the man's face as he stood there, silently staring at her.

Logan found himself unable to move or even breathe as he caught his first glimpse of Rogue. Standing there in his old room dressed as she was, in a stunning emerald gown that clung to her in all the right places. Or wrong places, he thought as his heart pounded against the metal in his chest. That couldn't possibly have been the little girl he'd left here only a few months ago. If it hadn't been for the white patch of hair and the silver chain around her neck, he wouldn't have believed it.

Finally realizing that he was real and that he was as shocked by her transformation as she was by his, Rogue stepped forward on shaking legs until she was standing toe to toe with him. "My Gawd," she whispered raising her glove-covered hands to cup his face, "look at ya."

A bolt of electricity shot through Logan's body at the contact but it wasn't due to her powers. This was something entirely different and while he'd felt it before, it had never been that strong. Clearing his throat he stared deep into the eyes of the young woman still holding his face in her hands. "Look at you," he repeated, his voice cracking slightly with a decidedly aroused tone.

Rogue smiled at the sound of his voice, thick and rich. "What are ya doin' here?" she found herself asking just to say something.

"I told you I'd be back," Logan reminded her taking a step back to distance himself from a situation that was all too quickly getting out of hand.

"Ah mean what are doin' here," Rogue clarified gesturing around the room, "dressed like that?"

"This?" Logan questioned pulling on the collar of his shirt. "Compliments of the professor. He told me about the geek ball when I got here and suggested that I go. So here I am, here to take you to your prom."

The smile on Rogue's face broadened. "Ah almost wasn't goin' to go."

"I'm glad you changed your mind," Logan told her softly once again letting his eyes roam freely over her. "Come on, k ... Marie," he corrected catching his slip, the last thing she was now was a kid.

Logan reached a hand up to take hers and Rogue noticed for the first time that she wasn't the only one wearing gloves. Slowly she placed her hand in his and he wrapped it around his pulsing biceps before escorting her out the door.

"So did ya find anythin'?" Rogue asked anxious to hear about his trip and anything he might have learned.

Logan sighed and let loose a soft growl of frustration. "Let's talk about that later. Tell me about what's new with you?"

"Nothin' really," Rogue shook her head. "Just school."

Logan's forehead furrowed. "Surely there's something more."

Rogue dropped her gaze to the floor not wanting him to see her eyes. "Ah'm really happy that yer back."

"I'm happy that you're happy," Logan assured her, squeezing her hand with his own.

"Ah missed ya, Logan," she whispered on the verge of tears.

"I missed you too, Marie," he returned with a sigh. More than you can possibly know.

Logan pulled her to a stop at the bottom of the stairs and placing his hands on her shoulders, turned her to look at him. Struck again by her beauty, Logan lost his train of thought and simply stared down into the deep brown eyes of the woman before him. Once again feeling his body begin to respond to her closeness, he shook his head then took her arm. "Come on."

"Wait," Rogue cried suddenly remembering something. "Here," she continued starting to pull off his dog tag.

Quickly Logan took her hand to stop her. "Leave it. It looks better there," he concluded glancing at her cleavage where the tag rested.

The look in his eyes when he met her gaze again made Rogue weak in the knees. She'd never seen a more sexy expression. Obviously the boys at school weren't the only ones to notice the change in her. "If ya say so," she drawled in a husky tone.



The ballroom was alive with hustle and bustle as the prom kicked into high gear. Wondering around the room doing their duty as chaperones, Jean and Scott glanced at each other and smiled remembering not all that long ago when they were the teens that required constant supervision.

Catching a movement out of the corner of her eye, Jean turned her head as the door opened across the hall. A smile appeared on her face as she recognized Rogue, a smile that quickly disappeared when she recognized her companion. "Oh my God!" she gasped drawing the attention of anyone within earshot.

"Jean, what is it?" Scott's concerned voice asked as his goggle-covered eyes followed her gaze. "Logan?" he questioned his tone obviously unsure.

At the threshold Logan pulled Rogue to a stop wanting to make sure everyone saw her when she entered, she deserved no less.

"Kitty, look," Jubilee cried pointing toward the couple in the doorway.

"Oh my," Kitty muttered.

"What?" Bobby asked turning his attention to what had them so distracted. "Rogue?"

Professor Charles Xavier wheeled his chair toward the door. "Are two just going to stand there all night? Come in, please, and join the party."

With a smile Ororo forced the deejay on with his duties and another song began. Several of the room's occupants went back to dancing to the slow song now playing but most simply stared as Logan escorted Rogue onto the dance floor.

Watching from nearby, Jean was shocked by how well Logan had cleaned up. Not that he wasn't attractive the way she remembered him but ... well wow. A small streak of jealousy shot through her as she watched Logan wrapped his arm around Rogue's waist his gloved hand nestled in the V at her back, his thumb gently rubbing her exposed skin.

Wrapping his fingers around Rogue's, Logan pulled her a little closer as he started to move with the music. Rogue couldn't help but smile as she followed along with him, their bodies swaying together just inches apart.

After a few more dumbstruck seconds, the rest of the teens finally stopped staring and went back to having fun.

"We should go say hello," Scott suggested. It didn't take Jean's telepathy to know the only reason he wanted to talk to Logan was to check on his bike.

Jean was still watching the couple dancing. Logan didn't particularly look like a man who wanted to be disturbed. "It looks to me like he's got all the company he needs."

The tone of her statement set Scott on edge. Once again following Jean's gaze to where Logan and Rogue were dancing his eyebrows shot up above the rim of glasses. "What in the hell does he think he's doing?"

"Scott," Jean admonished his language.

"Well look at him, he's old enough to be her father for Christ's sake."

Jean turned from the scene to face her fiancé. "But he isn't. Scott, what's gotten into you? Aren't you the one that just last night said Logan was probably the only one that could pull her out of herself?"

"Well I didn't think he'd do it like that," Scott spat.

It's their lives, Scott.

Stopped short by the familiar voice in his head, Scott turned to see the professor across the room. Xavier stared at his first pupil with something of a warning in his eyes.

Logan focused his concentration on Rogue and no one else as they danced together, their bodies brushing lightly from time to time. At that moment, as far as he was concerned, the two of them were the only people in the world.

"Rogue," a high pitched cried from nearby shattered that dream, "I'm so glad you changed your mind. Welcome back, Wolverine," Kitty greeted him with a smile.

Pushing aside his annoyance, Logan nodded politely at the girl.

"Wolverine," Bobby said his name tightly a disapproving look on his face.

"Drake," Logan returned with a glare of his own. Who the hell did that kid think he was to be giving him that kind of look?

"I hope you save a dance for me," Bobby directed at Rogue before twirling Kitty away from them.

"Ah will," Rogue hollered after him as he and Kitty danced out of sight. When Rogue turned her attention back to Logan, she found him staring at her with a questioning look in his eye. "What?"

"What's going on there?" Logan wanted to know, jealously creeping into his voice.

Rogue knew what he was referring to but decided to tease him rather than give a straight answer. "You mean between Bobby and Kitty?"

Logan's eyes narrowed and he set his jaw. "I mean between Bobby and you," he growled low in his throat.

"Oh," Rogue shrugged acting as though she was just getting it. "Nothin'."

"That wasn't nothing, Rogue," Logan insisted. "Did you see that look he gave me?"

"No," she shook her head, "but maybe Ah should ask what's goin' on between Bobby and you."

Finally Logan caught the teasing smile on her lips but he wasn't amused.

"Bobby's been a good friend the last several months, Logan," Rogue stated seriously. "He's been there for me when..."

"When I wasn't," Logan completed her sentence.

"Ah didn't mean it like that," Rogue assured him quickly.

"But that is what you were going to say, right?"

Before Rogue could answer the music was cut off and the professor's voice boomed through the speakers. "Good evening, students and faculty. I'd just like to take a brief moment here to welcome you all."

Everyone in the room turned their undivided attention to the professor. Rogue could feel Logan staring at her and she glanced around the room hoping no one else noticed.

"As classes wind down for another year and some of you prepare to leave, I'd like you all to remember that this isn't just a school. I hope that over the time you've been here, you've come to think of this place as home. Please know that as you go on about your lives, we will always be here for you."

A round of applause thundered through the ballroom but Professor Xavier's raised hands killed it quickly enough. "At this time I'd like to offer a word of welcome to Logan who will be rejoining us."

Every eye in the room turned on him and it was all he could do not to snarl. At least until he noticed the adoring smile on Rogue's face. "Thank you, Professor," he responded with a nod.

"Now," the school's founder continued, "I'd like to draw your attention to the back of the room if I may. We've brought in a photographer and we will be calling students to come back and have their pictures taken with their escorts. As you go back for that, you'll see a table set up with pens, slips of paper and a box. We ask that when you line up for photos that you please write the name of one girl. When everyone has had a chance to vote, they will be tallied to find our prom queen. Please listen for your names to be called for pictures and have a good night."

"Thank you, Professor," Scott said taking the microphone. "At this time we'd like Bobby, Kitty, Jubilee, Johnny, Sara and Rogue to head back for pictures. The rest of you, continue dancing."

A squeal of excitement sounded sharply in Logan's ear as Jubilee appeared beside him jumping up and down. "Come on, Rogue," she shirked grabbing Rogue's hand and pulling her into motion.

Logan stood there fuming as they started to leave then a small, gloved hand wrapped around his wrist and pulled lightly.

"Ain't ya comin'?" Rogue asked a little sheepishly.

Suddenly feeling old beyond his years, at least the ones he could remember, Logan considered saying no but the look in Rogue's eyes changed his mind. He let her lead him to the back of the room where the rest were waiting in line at the table to cast their votes.

"Who are you going to vote for?" Kitty asked Rogue as she joined the line.

"Ah don't know," Rogue shrugged knowing it would be either Kitty or Jubilee. "Who're ya votin' for?"

"I'm not sure," Kitty responded.

Despite what Kitty had said she quickly wrote down a name, folded the paper and stuck it in the box. With a quick smile over her shoulder at Rogue she bounded off with Jubilee, John and Bobby leaving Rogue and Logan alone at the table.

"You know you never answered me," Logan reminded her as she wrote a name on her slip of paper and folded it in half.

"Answered ya 'bout what?" Rogue questioned.

"Before the professor started talkin' we were discussing Bobby Drake," he refreshed her memory. "You were going to say that he'd been a good friend to you when I wasn't here, right?"

Rogue looked up and met his steady gaze. "Ah ain't mad that ya weren't here, Logan. Ya said ya'd come back and ya did. Ah know how much yer search meant to ya. Did ya find out anythin'?"

"We'll talk about it later," Logan said hurriedly.

For a moment Rogue was confused until she felt a presence behind her and turned.

"Welcome back, Logan," Jean greeted walking arm in arm with Scott.

"Jean," he tilted his head gentlemanly, "you're looking as beautiful as ever."

"And you're looking quiet dapper yourself," Jean told him with a smile.

Scott cleared his throat before he spoke. "Logan."

"Scott," he returned in the same cold tone.

"I'm surprised to see you back so soon," Scott began. "I guess a fast vehicle helps in a long journey like that."

"It can come in handy," Logan agreed glancing from Jean to Rogue. "Thanks for letting me borrow it."

Somewhat taken aback, it took Scott a few seconds to recover. "Anytime," he responded quickly.

His left eyebrow quirking upward Logan smiled. "I'll remember that."

"It looks like you two are next," Jean pointed out. "You should take quiet a picture."

"Thank you," Rogue accepted with a grin.

"You could have at least shaved," Scott goaded Logan as her and Rogue starting to move away.

"I did," Logan snapped back. He couldn't help it if his hair grew faster than he could cut it.

Scott snickered as Logan turned back to follow Rogue. He and Jean watched as the photographer posed them in a sweet position, Logan standing behind and slightly to the right of Rogue, his hands resting lightly on her hips.

"Smile," the photographer ordered.

If it hadn't been that he didn't want to ruin Rogue's picture, Logan would have told the man where to shove his smile. As it was he let a genuine smile grace his lips for her.

"Perfect," the photographer said dramatically. "Guaranteed the best photo I'll take all night."

Logan rolled his eyes fighting the urge to skin out his claws and rid that man of some of his perkiness.

"Thank ya," Rogue drawled in acceptance before walking away with Logan. "Are ya hungry?"

"I could eat," he responded simply.

"Well Ah'm starvin'," she informed him.

"Then we better get you something to eat 'cause I'm fresh out of jerky."

Rogue couldn't help but smile at the comment. Just after they had first met, after he'd almost left her standing along on the side of the snow-covered road, she asked him for food and he pulled out a package of beef jerky. "Ah still owe ya for some of that," she smiled sweetly.

"You don't owe me a thing, Marie," Logan insisted as they reached the food table. Picking up two plates he handed one to her and kept the other. As they went down the line, he did double duty, filling both of the plates. When they were satisfied with what they had, Logan led Rogue to a smaller table to the far side of the room. Their table was mostly secluded from the rest and partially hidden from view. It didn't take Rogue long to realized that.

"Ya know, we can leave if ya wanna," she told him softly.

Logan understood immediately what she was getting at. "I don't want to leave. I just thought it would be easier to talk back where it's a little quieter."

Rogue's smile all but lit up the dim corner of the ballroom. "Are ya gonna tell me what ya found in Canada?"

His face darkened and Rogue could see Wolverine emerge, the firm set of his jaw, the threatening gaze, the deadly claws just beneath the surface of his tight fists.

"Ah'm sorry," she apologized quickly. "It's really none of mah business."

Sensing her trepidation, Logan dropped his fork and slid his hand on top of hers. "I'm the one who should be apologizing, Marie."

Rogue shook her head. "Ah didn't have any right ta ask, especially since ya already told me ya'd tell me later."

"You have every right to ask," Logan corrected her. "I want to tell you all of it but not here, not right now. I want you to enjoy your night."

"Ah am, Logan," she assured him with a smile, "thanks ta you."

Logan fought the urge to lean over and kiss her, settling instead to just squeeze her hand before taking up his fork again and started to eat. They talked as they ate, making conversation mostly about nothing. It didn't really matter to either of them what they were saying or if they were saying anything at all, they were together again and that's what mattered.

The first strains of a new song started and Rogue closed her eyes and sighed. "Ah love this song, the words are so poignant."

For a moment Logan just stared into the beautiful face of the woman sitting with him, then he opened himself to the music, paying close attention to the words.

When you feel all alone
And the world has turned its back on you


That was enough right there. Logan grabbed Rogue's hand and pulled her gently from her seat startling her in the process.

Give me a moment please
To tame your wild, wild heart


"Logan?" Marie questioned as he pulled her onto the dance floor and wrapped his arms around her.

"If this is your favorite song then you should be dancing to it," he told her.

I know you feel like
The walls are closing in on you


Rogue's smile broadened then she pulled him closer and buried her face in his shoulder once again closing her eyes.

It's hard to find relief
And people can be so cold
When darkness is upon your door
And you feel like you can't take anymore
Let me be the one you call
If you jump I'll break your fall
Lift you up and fly away with you into the night
If you need to fall apart
I can mend a broken heart
If you need to crash then crash and burn
You're not alone


Logan closed his own eyes revealing in the feel of Rogue's curves tight against him. He wondered briefly what the others in the room thought of him at that moment but then he realized he didn't give a damn.

When you feel all alone
And a loyal friend is hard to find
You're caught in a one-way street
With the monsters in your head
When hopes and dreams are far away
And you feel like you can't face the day


There they were, Logan realized, the lines that really meant something to Rogue. He left her alone; the loyal friend that walked out leaving his monsters in her head and crushing her hopes and dreams under his boots as he left. "I'm sorry," he whispered near her ear.

Rogue looked up at him in confusion until she saw his face, all the guilt and pain in his eyes. Raising her gloved hand to his face she shook her head as the refrain repeated in the background.

Let me be the one you call
If you jump I'll break your fall
Lift you up and fly away with you into the night
If you need to fall apart
I can mend your broken heart
If you need to crash then crash and burn
You're not alone
Cause there's always been heartache and pain
And when it's over you'll breathe again
You'll breathe again


Pulling Rogue close again, Logan lowered his head by her ear and incredibly starting to sign the refrain. Tears sprang to her eyes at the rich, tender and incredibly sexy sound of his voice reached her ears. Never in a million years would she have thought such a beautiful sound could have come from the gruff Wolverine.

Let me be the one you call
If you jump I'll break you fall
Lift you up and fly away with you into the night
If you need to fall apart
I can mend a broken heart
If you need to crash then crash and burn
You're not alone
You're not alone


"You're not alone," Logan repeated again softly after the song ended.

"Neither are you," Rogue assured him with a watery smile.

They stood there motionless for a few seconds just staring at each other until they realized a fast song had started.

"How about that dance now?" the question drew them out of their trances.

Rogue turned sharply to find a smiling Bobby Drake with his hand held out to her. She looked quickly at Logan and at his nod she took Bobby's hand.

Logan watched as the teen danced Rogue away from him. He really didn't much like that boy.

"It looks like you're enjoying yourself tonight, Logan."

Wiping the annoyed look off his face, Logan turned around to face the professor. "I've had worse evenings."

Xavier smiled. "I haven't seen Rogue happier in months. We've been quite concerned about her lately."

"Why?" Logan demanded with a growl. "You didn't say anything about that before."

"This isn't really the time or place, Logan. Perhaps later tonight after the party," Professor X suggested.

"How about right now," Logan insisted manually wheeling the professor's chair off toward a side door. Once they were out in the deserted corridor, Logan stopped pushing and planted himself in front of the professor. "So?"

It didn't take his telepathic abilities to know that Logan was concerned. "Rogue was shutting herself off from everyone else. She spent all of her time outside of class either alone in her room, or rather your room, or out in the gardens alone. It was quite apparent that there was a problem."

"And what did you do about it?" Wolverine snarled.

"We did what we could, Logan," Xavier assured him. "We made an extra effort to include her, we overlooked transgressions that would have expelled most students."

"What kind of transgressions?"

Professor X fixed Logan with a steady gaze. "Drinking, smoking, foul language, rude behavior."

Logan sighed heavily. "That wasn't her it was me," he mutter gruffly. "That was me in her head."

"Yes," Xavier agreed, "and that was why it was overlooked. She had no control over those urges just as she had no control over the impulse to lock herself away."

"She became a loner because I was," Logan realized sadly.

"Yes. Logan, you and Rogue have a connection that none of us understands but don't let that stand in your way."

Logan's forehead furrowed as he tried to decipher exactly what that was supposed to mean. "What are you saying?"

"You and Rogue share a special bond, you know each other intimately..."

Logan quickly cut the professor off. "I never touched her except to save her life," he defended himself and Rogue's honor.

Charles Xavier smiled. "I'm referring to the intimacy you shared here," he said tapping his temple lightly. "You shared yourself with Rogue, not once but twice. You gave something of yourself to her each time. What you shared is far more intimate than most of us can ever dream of having."

Logan considered his words for a time before meeting the professor's eyes. "I guess I'm dumber than I look because I still don't get what you're trying to tell me, X."

"Just that neither of you need be alone anymore," Xavier stated.

"You can't possibly be saying what I think you're saying," Logan humorless smile and a snort.

"Do you really believe that hiding your love for her is helping her?"

In a flash Logan was leaning down into the professor's face, his hands clamped tightly around the arms of his chair. "Get the fuck out of my head."

"I never had to enter your mind to discover that, Logan," Xavier informed him, meeting his angry gaze steadily. "It was quite evident from the very beginning that the girl had gotten to you. I must admit pursuing Jean was quite a cleaver ruse."

He didn't know what to say nor could he figure out why he was so surprised that this mind reader had figured it out. Logan pushed himself off the wheelchair and turned his back.

"You have quite a lot to think about I'd say," Professor X stated as he turned around to head back into the ballroom. "Don't be too long."

"Professor wait," Logan called loudly. He waited for the chair to turn back before he continued. "Are you saying that you think I should pursue a relationship with Rogue?"

Xavier simply raised his eyebrows as though the answer were obvious.

"She's eighteen years old," Logan reminded him.

"Yes," he nodded, "an eighteen year old with the memories and experiences of a man twice her age. She knows things about you that no one else knows, correct?"

"Or ever will," Logan replied.

Professor X nodded again as the smile broadened on his face. "My point exactly. You two are closer to each other than either of you can ever expect to be with anyone else. And moreover it's what you both want."

Logan watched the professor turn again heading for the door. "What I want is to be able to touch her," he called after him.

In good time, my boy.



"Is something wrong, Rogue?"

Spinning at the voice so close to her, Rogue swallowed down her surprise. "Jean, did ya happen ta see where Logan went? He disappeared a few minutes ago and Ah haven't been able to find him."

Using her higher advantage point, Jean surveyed the room for the teen. She'd almost completed her scan when Logan slipped back through the door. "Over there," Jean said tilting her head to indicate the direction.

Rogue followed the gesture and found Logan who appeared to be upset. Moving quickly but carefully through the crowded dance floor, she reached him a moment later. Approaching him slowly she studied the confusion and doubt on his face. "Logan?" she called softly.

"Hey," he greeted quickly forcing a smile onto his face.

Knowing the expression wasn't genuine, Rogue moved forward placing her hand on his tensed arm. "What's wrong?"

Logan shook his head. "Nothing's wrong."

"Don't lie to me," Rogue snapped loudly drawing the attention of anyone within earshot. A serious look from Logan prompted them to turn their focus elsewhere.

"I'm sorry, I don't want to lie to you, Marie," he said tenderly keeping his voice low.

"Then don't."

Logan reached up and took the hand holding his arm into his hand. "Let's just enjoy the rest of this evening and I'll tell you later."

Rogue was surprised by the pleading look in his eyes. "Just so's ya know Ah will get it out of ya before dawn."

Slowly Logan nodded. It needed to be decided soon.

"May I have your attention please?" Scott called into the microphone as the music once again faded into nothing. "Thank you. It's my privilege to announce the results of the vote for Prom Queen," he announced holding up an envelope. "The next dance will be the spotlight dance for the Queen and her King. If your name is called please come forward for your crown."

A drum rolled echoed through the room as Scott tore opened the envelope and read the name. "Ladies and Gentlemen, your Prom Queen ... Rogue."

Kitty and Jubilee, who'd wiggled their way through the assembly to where Rogue was, began squealing in delight. They each took one of Rogue's arms and started jumping up and down excitedly.

For her part, Rogue looked around at the crowd staring at her and clapping wildly. "Wh ... what?"

"You're the Prom Queen, Rogue," Jubilee shouted cheerfully.

"Go on," Kitty encouraged pushing her lightly in the right direction.

Looking around it seemed Logan had disappeared again and Rogue wondered who was going to dance with her. A moment later a strong, familiar hand wrapped around her own and Logan pulled her toward the stage. Pulling up short of climbing the small set of stairs, Logan continued holding her hand until she up the steps. Then with a wink he released her hand.

Rogue walked toward Scott on shaky legs. How could she have been voted Prom Queen? It had to be a mistake.

"Congratulations, Rogue," Scott said into the microphone as he took her hand and pulled her the rest of the way to center stage.

At that time Jean came forward to present her with the crown and a regal cloak. Jean placed the golden tiara carefully on her head then eased the cloak onto her shoulders before giving her a friendly hug. "Congratulations, Rogue," Jean whispered smiling at her.

Ororo walked to her next, presenting her with a huge bouquet of roses and another warm hug. "Way to go, Rogue."

"I've chosen a very special song for the Queen's dance tonight," Scott informed the crowd sparing Logan a glance where he waited at the foot of the stairs. "Rogue, if you and your King will take your places?" he asked gesturing to the now clear dance floor.

As she started down the steps, there was Logan's hand again, ready to steady her. Kitty, Jubilee, John and Bobby had also migrated to the side of the stage smiling excitedly for her.

Releasing a deep breath, Rogue handed the flowers off to Bobby, she couldn't give them to one of the girls with the other standing right there, then continued with Logan to the center of the dance floor. Upon reaching it, all the lights in the room dimmed further except for a spotlight shining right where they were standing.

"Ladies and Gentlemen," Scott said with a hint of amusement, "the spotlight dance."

As Logan wrapped his arm around Rogue, very aware that every pair of eyes in the room was on them, he felt her trembling. "Relax," he whispered as the slow melody began.

Rogue swallowed the lump in her throat and tightened her grip on Logan's shoulder as a beautiful voice began signing.

Tale as old as time
True as it can be
Barely even friends
Then somebody bends unexpectedly


Then a man's voice joined the first in a duet. The words having struck a cord with both of them, Logan and Rogue focused their eyes on each other and their minds on the words to the song.

Just a little change
Small to say the least
Both a little scared
Neither one prepared
Beauty and the Beast


Logan turned a glare at Scott only to find him smiling smugly on the stage. Turning back he couldn't help but notice the teasing smile on Rogue's face or the twinkle in her eyes.

Ever just the same
Ever a surprise
Ever as before
And ever just as sure
As the sun will rise


While the singers' voices melded together for a series of crooning "oh" s, Rogue and Logan swayed closer together, his powerful arm wrapping all the way around her and pulling her closer.

Ever just the same
Ever a surprise
Ever as before
And ever just as sure
As the sun will rise
Oh ... oh ... oh
Tale as old as time
Tune as old as song
Bittersweet and strange
Finding you can change
Learning you were wrong


The couple's hearts were beating wildly as the signers harmonized together to produce the most beautiful and heart touching melody either had ever heard.

Certain as the sun
(Certain as the sun)
Rising in the east
Tale as old as time
Song as old as rhyme
Beauty and the beast
Tale as old as time
Song as old as rhyme
Beauty and the Beast
Beauty and the Beast


The song faded to silence but Logan and Rogue didn't seem to notice, they just kept dancing as they stared deeply into each other's eyes. The rousing round of applause coupled with the hoots and hollers was what finally brought them back to the real world from whatever dream they were sharing.

Logan slowly loosened his hold on Rogue but didn't drop his hand from her back as he ushered her off the floor, the clapping and shouting still continuing loudly all around them.

Finally the music started again and most of the crowd went back to dancing. A group of teens however had other matters to attend to.

"Mind if we join you?" Jubilee asked with a smile, taking a seat before Logan and Rogue had a chance to respond.

"Wasn't that song just a hoot?" Kitty questioned with a giggle. "I mean Rogue and Wolverine dancing to Beauty and the Beast. How much more perfect can you get?"

"Logan's not a beast," Rogue stated firmly, anger boiling just the below the surface.

"I'm sure she didn't mean anything by it, Rogue," Bobby defended his friend, secretly agreeing with her.

"Whether she meant it or not she shouldn't have said it," Rogue retorted beginning with a glare at him that quickly shifted back to Kitty.

"I'm sorry, Logan," the teen apologized. "I didn't mean to be rude or offend you."

Logan shrugged. He appreciated what Marie was doing for him it wasn't necessary to alienate her friends to defend him. "Why should it offend me? It's true."

"It is not," Rogue said more forcefully this time pointing the comment at Logan.

"Rogue..." he started.

"No," she shouted forcing her chair back quickly the action knocking the tiara off her head and drawing the attention of almost everyone in the room. "Take it back," she yelled at him with tears in her voice. Frustrated and embarrassed, Rogue turned on her heels, shrugging off her cloak, and bolted for the door.

Four teens stared in shock at the scene before them as Logan jumped from his seat and followed after her.

"I just meant that I thought it was cute," Kitty whispered softly, deeply sorry for what she'd caused.

Halfway across the room Logan had caught up to Rogue and pulled her to a stop with a firm hand on her upper arm. "Would you just wait," he shouted gruffly pulling her around to face him. It was at that time that he noticed the tears streaming down her face.

Rogue suddenly felt like a child throwing a temper tantrum but that didn't stop the tears from flowing. She quickly dropped her head as he turned her around hoping that he wouldn't see. Immediately Logan's gloved hand fell to her face, lifting her chin up and around to look at him. She looked back at him from eyes glistening with tears and full of pain.

"I'm sorry," Logan whispered softly staring into Rogue's deep brown eyes. Something drew his attention over his shoulder and for the first time noticed that the room was silent and everyone was watching them. "What the hell are you all looking at?" he demanded harshly with a deadly glare and two balled fists. Taking Rogue's hand Logan quickly lead her from the room out into the hallway.

"Marie, I didn't mean to upset you," Logan began again softly out of the sight and hearing of everyone else, "but there are things about me you don't know, things that I didn't even know until a few months ago."

Rogue could tell that what he had discovered hadn't been particularly pleasant. She opened her mouth to comfort him but his finger pressed lightly to her lips prevented that.

"There was a time when I was more of a beast than I was a man," Logan informed her. "I lived in the wild for five years, Marie, naked and alone. I killed game with my bare hands and ate the flesh raw. I bathed in dirty water when I bothered to bathe at all."

"That was a long time ago," Rouge protested, "you've changed."

"It wasn't all that long ago," Logan corrected the recently recovered memories returning to his mind. "But you're right, I have changed ... thanks to you."

"Ah didn't do anythin'," she protested.

Logan tenderly caressed her face with his hand. "You've done more than you can possibly know, Marie."

"Is everything all right out here?"

Stiffening at the voice Logan turned an annoyed glare at Scott Summers.

"Ever'thin's fine," Rogue assured him with a watery smile. "Ah'm sorry for my outburst."

"It's not your outburst that requires an apology," Scott stated staring angrily at Logan.

Logan simply glared back.

"Rogue, Logan," a small voice sounded from behind Scott, "I'm really sorry."

Scott turned to find an obviously upset Kitty standing behind him flanked by her friends. "Kitty, why don't you guys go on back inside," Scott ordered gently.

The four teens looked at their friend briefly then turned to follow their orders.

"Wait," Rogue called glancing at Logan before walking over to stand in front of Kitty. "Ah'm the one who should apologize ta ya. Ah guess Ah overreacted. Ah'm sorry."

A smile started slowly on Kitty's face but quickly grew. "It's all right, Rogue. Friends?"

"Absolutely," Rogue agreed with a grin.

"Come on you guys," Jubilee cried impatiently, "let's get back in there."

Seeing as though things were under control, Scott threw a final disapproving glare at Logan then returned to the party.

Jubilee, John, Kitty and Bobby started to follow but Bobby stopped when he realized that Rogue and Logan weren't following. "Hey, you two coming back in?"

"Ah think Ah've had 'bout all the excitement Ah can stand for one night," Rogue informed them sounding overly tired. "Y'all go ahead and enjoy the rest of yer evenin'."

"Are you sure?" Kitty asked guilt that it was her comment affecting Rogue's decision heavy in her tone.

Rogue nodded then stifled a yawn behind her gloved hand. "It's been a long night. Ah'll see y'all tomorrow."

"Good night," the four teens echoed nearly simultaneously.

"Night," Rogue responded looking back over her shoulder at Logan.

"Kids," he nodded in their direction as they started to turn back to the ballroom door.

Rogue watched her friends disappear back into the dancing hall before turning to fully face Logan. "As Ah recall we still have a lot of talkin' ta do before the night is over," she reminded him of his promise to share his findings.

Logan dropped his gaze briefly then met her eyes and nodded. "Why don't we take a walk?" he suggested gesturing toward a side door leading into one of the many gardens sounding the mansion.

Using the few minutes it took for them to get outside, Logan tried to organize his thoughts. He hadn't really learned that much and yet he'd learned a lot. He wasn't certain how he was supposed to explain to someone else what he barely understood himself.

As they walked side by side in the cool night air, Rogue studied Logan's face in the moonlight as she waited for him to speak. The blue-white light from the moon softened his features, making him look less animalistic of course the shave and hair cut had helped as well. By now though his sideburns had grown back over his face and his formerly neat hair was once again sticking up in its typical unruly fashion.

Logan could feel Rogue watching him, waiting for him to tell her everything. Slowly he reached out and took her hand, wrapping his large, thick fingers around her smaller, thin ones. When she returned the pressure Logan led her to a nearby bench and sat down prompting her to do the same. He waited until she was seated beside him then shifted so he could look at her as he took both of her hands in his. He opened his mouth to start but quickly clamped it shut again.

Immediately Rogue was concerned, she had never seen Logan like that. She couldn't remember him every feeling anything like what his expression conveyed at that moment, a mixture of frustration and uncertainty. His eyes reflected hope and fear and something else. Something she'd seen in other people's eyes when they looked at someone who was important to them. It was the same thing she'd noticed in Jean's eyes when she looked at Scott. Realizing that her heart skipped a beat, her breath caught in her throat and a chill ran down her spine causing her to shudder.

"Are you cold?" Logan asked quickly stripping off his tuxedo jacket and wrapping it around her bare shoulders before she could respond. "Maybe we should back inside."

"No," Rogue shook her head sharply. "Ah'm fine now, thank ya. Ya was gonna tell me what ya found in Canada."

Again Logan dropped his gaze momentarily. "You know I went up north to find my past and I did discover a few things but nothing major."

"Then why'd ya come back? I thought ya'd continue yer search 'til found what ya were lookin' for," Rogue said.

"Are you sorry I came back?" he asked once again his eyes searching hers with trepidation.

"Of course not," Rogue nearly shouted pulling one hand out of his and swatting him with it. "How can ya even think that? Ah's just sayin' that Ah thought ya'd finish yer search before comin' back."

"I did finish my search," Logan assured her.

Rogue's confusion grew to new heights. "Now Ah'm really confused. Didn't ya just say..."

Logan swallowed hard then cut her off. "I was searching for something, what I was never sure..."

"Yer past," Rogue piped up returning the favor.

"I thought that's what I was looking for and I had to go back to Canada to realized that what I was really looking for I'd already found. Back up there, alone in the cold I realized that what happened to me twenty years ago wasn't as important as what would happen in the next twenty," Logan explained softly. "What good would knowing do me anyway? It wouldn't change anything. It wouldn't remove the metal from my body or make my claws disappear."

"But not knowin' who ya are," Rogue said sadly. "What about yer family? What if ya had a wife and children?"

Logan had considered that and maybe someday his search would continue but right then there was something he wanted more. "I have a family right here, Marie. A family full of people who understand and I hope respect me, at least to some degree. Even if I'd had a family, my children would be grown, my wife would have moved on and that's what I have to do. That's what I realized when I passed by that bar in Laughlin City and thought about the sweet young girl that crossed my path at that very spot."

Suddenly Rogue's mouth went dry. What was he saying?

"Marie, I know I've been gone a couple months and that I don't have any place to be saying this but I have to. I may be twice your age," Logan snorted and rolled his eyes, "at the very least, and more worldly than maybe I should have been but from the first moment I saw you sitting on that bar stool with that damned cloak concealing half your face, something in me changed. Believe me it surprised me more than you can possibly know."

"Logan," Rogue tried to say when he paused but a gloved finger across her lips stopped her.

"Let me finish before you say anything," Logan practically begged. Taking a deep breath and releasing it nervously he pressed on. "What I'm trying to say here, Marie, is that no one has ever made me feel the way I feel when I'm with you. You understand me. You know what I'm thinking as well as I do. With you there is no pretext, I don't have to pretend that I'm someone else. I never had to be Wolverine to earn your respect, with you I can just be Logan."

He shifted uncomfortably on the bench. "I know things change and maybe I'm saying all this a little too late but I still have to say it. I did a lot of things that I shouldn't have done to try to mask what I really wanted. I had to if I wanted to stay here. Wheels never would have put me up here if he knew what I was feeling and I wouldn't have blamed him. You can't exactly let a grown man with impure thoughts about a beautiful seventeen-year-old have free reign in a school full of girls. That's why I flirted with Jean, she was safe, she was taken and it distracted both her and Xavier. I felt guilty, Marie, I knew that you had a crush on me, I could smell it on you like fresh perfume. Then as time passed, I knew it was something more, something you weren't ready for. That was part of why I left, maybe more so than finding my past. I wanted you to have some time, to think with a clear head, however clear it could get with me running around up there."

Again Logan dipped his head. "I thought some distance would do us both good. We went through some very intense moments together in a short amount of time. I thought maybe some space would ease those feelings but I was wrong, it made them stronger. I thought about you more every day, dreams of you started to take the place of the nightmares. I guess what I'm trying to say, in long form, is that I don't want to be apart from you, Marie. The professor told me how worried they all were about you while I was gone. How you isolated yourself from everyone. Part of that was me, in your head, but I know you felt the same way. Don't let anyone close and you can't hurt 'em, right? We don't have to be alone anymore, Marie. We can be together ... if that's what you want."

Rogue stared at him in disbelief. Never, even in her wildest dreams, had she ever imagined this. Was he really proposing that they be a couple? Surely she must have heard him wrong or mixed things together into a fantasy.

"Marie?" Logan prompted nervously. Maybe he had waited too long. Maybe there was something more going on between her and that Drake kid. Maybe it had only been a crush and she'd gotten over it while he was away.

"Ah don't know what ta say," Rogue stated softly. Tears suddenly sprang to her eyes falling unbidden down her porcelain cheeks.

Noticing her tears, Logan dropped to his knees in front of her and quickly wiped at her eyes with his gloved-fingers. "Don't cry, Darlin', it's all right. Just tell me what you want. Tell me that you want me or tell me that you don't. Tell me you need more time and I'll give it to you."

As Rogue shivered again, Logan dropped his hands from her face and wrapped his arms around her pulling her tight against him.

"Ah don't need more time," she sobbed into his chest. "Ah just need ya to hold me."

"For the rest of my life," he vowed tenderly. "I love you, Marie."

"I love ya too, Logan," she whispered her face still buried in the front of his dress shirt.

Grinning like an idiot, Logan rose to his feet, picking Rogue up as he did so, and began twirling her in the air. After a few minutes of that, he stopped and returned her to her feet.

"Logan," she began needing to bring something that was sure to put a damper on their happiness but she had to, "what about me?"

It took him a moment to realize what she was referring to. "It doesn't matter," he said honestly.

"Doesn't matter? Logan, we can't even touch each other."

"We'll work around that," he informed her leaving little room for argument. "We'll work non stop to find a way from you to control it. We'll do what we have to do to be together, Marie, because I will not let you go." The vow made, Logan moved forward again and wrapped his arms around her waist, pulling her tightly against him.

Wanting nothing more than to believe what he was saying, Rogue returned the embrace, pulling him closer and holding on for all she was worth.
This story archived at http://wolverineandrogue.com/wrfa/viewstory.php?sid=1981