Diary - Admitting guilt by Joanne
Summary: Marie gets her questions answered but at what cost?
Categories: X1, AU Characters: None
Genres: General
Tags: None
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: Letters and diary pages
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 1463 Read: 2046 Published: 09/27/2007 Updated: 09/27/2007

1. Diary - Admitting Guilt by Joanne

Diary - Admitting Guilt by Joanne
Author's Notes:
Marie does something she shouldn't and gets another insight into the man that saved her.
'It was an accident,' Marie paused before she wrote anything else down in the new leather journal she'd bought at the Mall. It's bare pages surrounded by sturdy leather had called her from across the store, her new friends going for the usual paper backed books. She'd asked for this one and she'd been bought it by the white haired weather goddess Storm. Storm had complimented her on her choice and asked if it would be used for anything special; she'd just blushed and Storm and had just patted her arm and taken it to the cashier.

Yet here she was with it, her first words in it were a lie and she'd been wanting to make an accurate record of her thoughts and feelings. So she left the first line and added underneath it, 'Well it started as an accident....'

'I'd been sitting with Logan again, hoping he was going to wake up sometime soon when Doctor Grey surprised me. My hand went skyward and I caught the side of her skin for a second, just a flash of fear went through me at the time. That's all. Just a flash of fear, nothing else, no power transfer but it scared us both enough to keep a good distance between us from now on.

Afterward I went to see if I could get someone else to be around, having a conflicted mind doesn't help mental clarity. Logan's presence in my head still rattles around when my skin 'does what it does'. He popped up for a moment and my eyes went for a stroll over the landscape that was Doctor Grey. I think she noticed because she just primped her hair and I got the hell out of dodge before Logan made me do something I'd never live down.

Don't get me wrong I love what he did for me, hell everyone else around here thinks I'm after the big guy but the thing is I'm unsure why he did it. All his thoughts about me are like diamond, like I'm the most precious thing he knows. But thats just it he *doesn't* know *me* but I *do* know him.'

Marie dropped her pen for a second, thinking of the right way to put what she was thinking and feeling, a way she could explore the sensation without it coming out as a set of descriptions. Finally locked onto a course she set to writing again.

'It's like a nature documentary, the really boring ones you used to get at school 'life-cycle of the cicada' but it's Logan. His mind is so different to mine or anyone elses for that matter, everything he sees has a *meaning*. The way a person sits, the way they drink something what they say and *how* they say it, it's like I'm watching a nature documentary on human behaviour. And because of him I understand it too, like Kitty is *all* over Bobby even though he seems to be trying his hardest to get my attention. (Not that having deadly skin is enough to put him off, maybe I should just push the two of them....)
Anyway....when Logan rises up in my head it's like I can understand this whole other language that's right under the nose of everyone. He sees, hears, senses everything so much *better* but what I get from his normal life, his 'memories' he treated himself pretty badly. So why did he do this for me? What made me so special to stop for? Was it because I called out at the bar? Or was it because I showed some compassion for him when I asked if his claws hurt him? I *know* I was the first person to *ever* ask that question and you know what that really sucks no matter who or what you are.

After Doctor Grey I went to the Rec Room and spent a few hours messing around, I didn't know Logan was up and about downstairs. Hell I didn't even know he was leaving until I had this 'feeling', like my skin was tingling all over. I just caught the last of his look, he'd been watching me, watching me laugh and play without him. An that's when 'IT' happened, I ran over to him asked him not to go. Basically put my heart on a plate and said 'I need you here' but what I'd seen 'upstairs' he wasn't going to give me my answer until he was ready to an by the look on his face he wasn't ready to.
Doctor Grey must have said something to him though because he was awful shifty with those eyes and his voice in my head was telling me he was uncomfortable with something and that something was 'me'.

So I swallowed my pride and asked him not to go, and he surprised me, took off his tags, the ones I'd questioned him about all that time ago and put them in my hand. He held onto my gloved hand and looked me dead on, all serious like it was the most important thing he'd ever say to anyone. He told me he'd be back for *this*, an that's when it happened, remember when I touched Doctor Grey? Well somethin' happened because as well as hearing his voice say one thing, his head was saying somethin' else entirely. It was just a flash I swear, just a burst of emotion, maybe it was because I was holding him or he was holding me I don't know, but it was *care*. Not hearts and flowers, not jittery stomach or flirty but real honest and deep *care*. As if I was the most important thing in the world to him right there an then, I know I was smilin' when I finally let him go. Heard the bike leave and I just put the chain on an hid it under my shirt.'

Her fingers grazed against the now warm metal as she remembered that Logan's warmth has still been in the chain and tags when she'd put them next to her skin. It made part of her complete, made the part of Logan in her mind settle down. She wasn't forgotten, they'd been important to him and now she was on the same level as the tags. Yet what confused her still was whether she was a going concern or just a link to him? Sighing she bent back to her journal, pen already sratching across the page.

'I told Jubilee and Kitty about the tags, they seem to think it's all so very 'romantic', that it means he'll be back for me to take me off on the bike when he gets back. But somehow I don't think that's how Logan works, he wanders around, he's looking for something, not just the people who hurt him. He's looking for family I think and to be honest I don't know what'll happen to me if he finds em. I worry about him, I do, everyone doesn't see what I *know*, he may look indestructable but he isn't on the inside. Maybe that's why he left me here with his tags, somewhere and someone he can relate to. I never got to tell him about how much of him is still in here with me, I hope I do. But somehow I doubt I'll see him again this year, I know he said to the Professor that he'd keep in touch by a mailbox. If I can get the address I'll drop him a line, just to let him know he's not alone out there.'

Marie closed her journal, the pen recapped and her fingers playing with the new weight at her neck. She knew it's significance was more than the past it held for Logan, there was the weight of his emotions, his hopes, his need for contact. He'd given it to *her* to hold, to care for and she'd care for it. And while she was doing it she'd see if she could learn any more about the passenger in her own head. If he did care for her as much as she felt from him after the accident with Doctor Grey then she had a place to start from with him. Only she had to let him know that the feeling was mutual and not just because he'd died for her. She cared for him because he'd given her a chance, he could've left her on the side of that Canadian road but he hadn't. Magneto had been after *her*, so it had been her fault in the first place that Logan got involved in all this. An' as soon she had that address she was going to tell him so.
This story archived at http://wolverineandrogue.com/wrfa/viewstory.php?sid=1963