Something White (Futile) by aranenumenesse
Summary: “Come on, guys! We’re going home!"
Categories: AU Characters: None
Genres: Adult
Tags: None
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 15 Completed: No Word count: 12590 Read: 80747 Published: 09/24/2007 Updated: 08/31/2008

1. Chapter 1 by aranenumenesse

2. Chapter 2 by aranenumenesse

3. Chapter 3 by aranenumenesse

4. Chapter 4 by aranenumenesse

5. Chapter 5 by aranenumenesse

6. Chapter 6 by aranenumenesse

7. Chapter 7 by aranenumenesse

8. Chapter 8 by aranenumenesse

9. Chapter 9 by aranenumenesse

10. Chapter 10 by aranenumenesse

11. Chapter 11 by aranenumenesse

12. Chapter 12 by aranenumenesse

13. Chapter 13 by aranenumenesse

14. Chapter 14 by aranenumenesse

15. Chapter 15 by aranenumenesse

Chapter 1 by aranenumenesse
Author's Notes:
Since there's no option "Gross", adult will have to do. But be warned. This is icky.

Slight cross-over with the comic-verse Aliens. My revenge for my muse who kept taunting me with too emotional scenarios that I wasn't able to write because writing with one hand only is a bitch, and slow as hell.
”Sit.”

I’m so tired that I can barely stand. The wooden crate feels like king-sized bed, and for a moment I get to curl upon it on my side. Then he’s back, and I have to give him space to sit as well. He’s tired. Even more tired than I am. He’s been carrying me for the last four hours.

“Eat.”

Part of his rations. A half of energy bar and some water. A part he really couldn’t afford to share, but he has no other options. I eat them fast, before anybody notices. They have stopped talking, but they’re still angry at him for dragging me along.

“Sleep.”

For once I’d like to do this the other way around. He carries the heaviest burden, so it should be me offering my lap as his pillow, not the other way around. But there really are no options. He has to stay half-awake and alert, so he sleeps sitting up. I have to stay close to him so that I don’t get in to trouble, so it only makes sense to curl against his thigh. Keeps us both warm.

“Are you expecting a fucking lullaby?”

He doesn’t like it when I look at him. But it’s hard not to look at him. Hard not to wonder what goes on in his mind when he leans back and lets his body relax, and I can feel him twitching slightly in his dream. Twitching and gasping.

“Come on, kid. We got few hours. Just close your eyes. I’ll be here when you wake up.”

It’s childish, but before I close my eyes and let the sleep take over I curl my fingers around his belt. I have already lost so many; I don’t want to loose him as well. I know that he will untangle my fingers as soon as I have fallen to deep sleep. He needs to be able to move fast, and if I’m clinging to him he’ll either stumble or snap my wrist if something happens. But it’s still comforting to feel the leather under my fingers, and the searing warmth that radiates through his clothes.

“Tickles… Let go, kid.”

He’s burning up. Still healing. We got ambushed earlier today. He’s the team leader; of course they tried to put him down first. Superficial wounds healed instantly, but from the inside… I saw him coughing and spitting blood when his men weren’t watching.

“What the fuck are you up to now?”

I’m cold. I’m always cold. My mommy used to say that I had bad circulation, what ever that means… If I can just… Slide my palm in… There.

“Oh, sweet Jesus… Just be careful, okay? There’s… It’s… Just be careful.”

His wrist and forearm feel as hot and swollen as the rest of him. He seems to like when I hold him from there with my icy fingers. I know I have to be careful. If I squeeze too hard I’ll hurt him. I have seen what’s buried inside his powerful forearms. Three sharp metal blades in each hand, and if I squeeze too hard those blades will cut him from the inside. But I can hold him and cool his skin if I’m careful.

“You’re not going to sleep, are you?”

No. Not tonight. It’s his turn to sleep. To really sleep. If I stay awake he maybe dares to close his eyes and rest. If I keep watch he can do that and I can wake him up if something happens. Of course it’s not going to happen. He’s too wound up to sleep, but maybe we can both pretend, and then I don’t have to feel so useless anymore. Maybe we can pretend that there’s a good reason why he saw it fit to let me live. That there’s a real reason for him to keep me alive and with him instead of throwing me for his team the next time they raise a ruckus about dragging me along.

“Fine. But I’m beat. Wake me up if anything happens, okay?”

Right. At least he closed his eyes. Won’t take long before I… Should let go of his hand before… So tired.

----------------------------------------------------------

“Wake up. Were moving on.”

He waits until everybody else has gotten up and started walking before he drags himself up. He’s tired. I try to move fast enough, but he grabs me and hoists me up on his shoulders.

“We’re crossing a swamp. You’ll drown in it on your own.”

He’s right. Soon we’re wading through murky water. It reaches his armpits. Rest of his team is carrying their weapons above their heads to prevent them getting wet. Swarms of gnats and mosquitoes keep buzzing around us, but as soon as they touch my skin they die. There’s at least something I can do for him. Keep them off from him.

“Watch out!”

At first I thought he lost his balance, but as seconds tic by and I’m still threading water and men keep disappearing from around me I know it wasn’t the slippery mud that made my mount stumble and plunge under surface. And when bubbles from the oxygen that escaped from their lungs under water turn to red pools on the surface there’s nothing left to do but to scream. Nothing but to scream and bite the hand that suddenly clamps over my mouth and face and pulls me under.

----------------------------------------------------------

“That’s it… Just spit it all out… Better?”

We’re alone. Everybody else is gone, and we’re alone. Just the two of us. When I woke up his lips we’re covering mine and I could feel his warm breath filling my lungs, making the water in there swirl and slosh around. It made me gag.

“We can’t stay here for long. Those fuckers will be back for more soon enough. Climb on to my shoulders.”

His bare shoulders. He’s burning up, and I can still see the faint red lines criss-crossing his skin. Most of them curving and jagged, but there’s three short lines in a row on his chest, right below his ribcage. I reach down and place my palm over them.

“Don’t worry. It’s dead.”

He keeps coughing up black bits and pieces, like chitin, and something green that sizzles and smokes when it hits the water. It really is dead. The creature that lodged inside of him when they purged The Nest. I think none of his men knew about it. I wouldn’t have known about it either if I hadn’t felt it moving inside of him every now and then. Stringy tail sliding, long skull pressing forth and stretching his diaphragm, trying to chew its way out of him.

“At the next camp we can enjoy from little luxury. Whole container and all the rations of the team just for the two of us.”

He makes it sound like it’s not a big deal. Like it doesn’t matter that his whole team got slaughtered. But I can hear the strain in his voice. He’s fighting tooth and nail not to scream. He told me earlier that there had been fifty of them when they landed on this planet, and that he had been just one of them. When they found me there was eight left, and he was the team leader because he had been in the service few years longer than his teammates. And now there’s just the two of us. Lone mutant soldier and civilian mutant who’s so poisonous that even the beasts of this planet won’t take me as their host.

----------------------------------------------------------

“When we get back to the ship the first thing I do is to drop a goddamned nuke to this hell. Jesus, I’m tired…”

He’s tearing in to the packages that hold fresh uniforms. He’s shivering from cold. The air is hot and humid, but his teeth are chattering. Fever. There are small wounds all around him, small nicks and scrapes still left from gaping wounds and he’s sick. There’s gazillion different parasites living in the swamps we crossed and some of them have taken residence in him. And he’s been carrying the biggest parasite of them all on his shoulders the whole day. He’s not immune to my toxins; it just takes longer from them to work through his system because of his mutation. Yet he doesn’t shy away from me. Even now he makes sure that I’m alright and wipes a smudge of dirt from my cheek with his bare thumb before he stretches on his back to the floor of the container.

“Help yourself if you’re cold or hungry… I’m… There should be some rations in that box… Over there…”

He’s falling asleep. Real sleep. Not the ordinary, one-eye-open-ready-to-blow-if-anything-happens –semi-rest, but real sleep. Finally. From the looks of it, it is a touch-and-go whether his body will be able to cope with everything that’s going on, and if he dies… I know where the evac zone is, he told me that, but I have no idea of how to call the ship that’s somewhere in orbit.

“No… Good for… Look out, Vasquez!”

He’s dreaming. Dreaming about the lost ones. Screaming and crying in his sleep, something he’s unable to do when awake and surrounded by others. Vasquez. I liked her. She was hard and cocky. Only one who didn’t seem to care when Logan told to his team that they’d be taking me along. I think Logan cared about her a great deal. Why else would he bolt up from that floor, a scream so loud and ragged lodged to his throat that no sound comes out from his mouth?

“Oh, fuck… Come on, we better get moving…”

I’m going to hug him.

“It’s okay. You don’t have to worry. I’ll take care of you.”

He thinks that I’m afraid. That I’m worried over my survival. He denies the comfort I’m trying to offer. I’m not going to let go of him before he realizes that this is not for me, but for him instead. I want him to know that I’m here for him. I want him to accept the fact that nobody’s supposed to suffer through this hell alone.

“Come on, kid. Let go. We have to start moving and… Just let go…”

His mouth says to let him go, and he seems to be completely unaware that I have already let go of him. He’s holding me instead. Holding me, pulling me closer and there are tears on his face. His knees make a sharp thud when they hit the floor of the container and he hides his face against my midriff, hands grasping my waist so hard that there will be bruises later.

----------------------------------------------------------

“It’s on the other side of this steaming pile of shit… Evac… Alpha… Gamma… Charlie… Thr… Three hundred… Seven… Five.”

The code. I know it by heart now. He started hallucinating little after noon today. He has been repeating it non-stop since then. But we’re going to right direction. He’s right, assuming that he told me right coordinates earlier. Evac is just across that marsh. But I’m not all that sure that we’re both going to make it.

“Come on, guys! We’re going home! Alph… Gamma… Charlie…”

He’s half-blind already and I think something’s wrong with his brain. His left hand is curled against his chest and those blades that are supposed to stay inside of his arms are partially out. And he thinks that his team is with us. He keeps talking to them. Trying to cheer them up and at the next moment cursing them because they can’t keep up with his pace. He looks almost like one of those black beasts I saw few weeks ago. It was stumbling and shaking its head, hissing and screeching and randomly attacking everything around it. Others of its kind stayed away from it. At the end of the day it was dead, and there were huge white maggots crawling out through its eye sockets.

“Get on to my shoulders, kid. That muck will suck you in and eat you alive. Alpha, gamma, Charlie, three-fucking-hundred-seventy-five-and you’d fucking better memorize this shit because I’m not that sure of how long I can remember anymore…”

I’m not getting on to his back. It’s enough that he can keep himself from falling face down to the shallow water, but he probably thinks I’m up there because he walks little hunched and keeps avoiding low hanging branches. I really hope that there are no maggots in his head. Or if there is, that were off to space and on a course that’ll take us to the nearest outpost before they have eaten all of his brain.

“Alpha-Gamma-Charlie… Three hundred… Seventy-five… How are you holding up, kid? Think you could walk for a while? I need to stretch my shoulders, and I think I saw something moving in that thicket…”

I splash the water with my foot and he straightens his back. Only movement he can see is that white something that’s wriggling inside of his eye, and I think he knows that. I think he knows that he’s in bad shape. He must know. But he keeps up the pretence. Lunges in to the deeper water, blades from his right hand bared and stabs… And there’s something. I don’t know what it is and he doesn’t seem to care, just throws the green and slimy carcass to the side and returns to me.

“I can smell the jet-fuel. It’s not far anymore… Alpha… Ga… Gamma?… Fuck. Can’t remember. When we get there, find my… F-f-f-find my cr-cryo locker and strap me in. Rest is… is-is automated. I think. And go in… In to Vasquez’s locker. You’re s-s-s-same size as her.”

He’s listing to the left. I have to nudge him in to right direction every now and then, and I think he’s starting to wonder who the hell I am. He’s twitching and glaring at me and those claws… They’re claws all right, not blades… They keep pumping back and forth, in and out of his hands. His left hand has fallen completely limp on his side and he keeps cutting his thigh whenever it sways past his leg when he’s moving. And I think he’s blind.

“W-w-w-won’t hurt… you. D-d-don’t w-w-worry. W-w-we’ll get t-t-through…”

He stutters and lisps and drools. And if we don’t hurry up, he’s going to fall down and there will be maggots coming from his eyes. They’re must be filling his head to the brim by now. And I don’t want them to be coming out. Not yet. Not ever. I want them to die and melt away and stop hurting him. Stop eating him, because I want to thank him properly when this is over. I want to walk to him and kiss him and feel him holding and kissing me back just because we both got through hell and the hell wasn’t able to put us down.

----------------------------------------------------------

“R-r-r-red b-b-but-t-ton fr t… th… air-r-rlock…”

We’re here. It took an hour from the drop-ship to land, and I had to keep him up for the whole time we waited. He kept slipping in my grasp, spitting and stuttering curses and twitching but we made it.

“G-g-get in!”

Unidentified biological entity detected. Airlock locking protocol. Purge in ten, nine...

No! No, you stupid bitch! I didn’t drag him all the way here just so you could annihilate him! Open this fucking door!

… seven, six…

Open!

“K-k-kid… H-h-h-haul you’re a-a-assss in to a l-l-l-locker…”

Open! Now!

Airlock purge protocol aborted. Airlock purge protocol aborted.

----------------------------------------------------------

He didn’t know. It doesn’t matter. I’m not in stasis, but that just means that I can keep watching him. He didn’t know. How would he? I can look at him. There’s white fungus inside of the plex of his locker… No. No fungus. He had a fever. Before the hibernation protocol kicked in that plex steamed up and frosted afterwards.

He didn’t know. Couldn’t know because he was just an ordinary soldier, not some tech-wisecrack. Those red lights that are blinking on the screen that monitors our lockers… They mean that we’re dead, but that’s not true. I had to put him to Eastman’s locker because I couldn’t get his own locker to open. Eastman’s dead. And I’m in Vasquez’s locker. Both Vasquez and Eastman are dead, not us. There’s no fungus in his locker or maggots. And I’m going to fall asleep as soon as the hibernation process in this locker kicks in. It’ll start soon, because I can already feel the ship jacking up the speed. Any second now…

Hey, he’s awake, too! He just waved at me! Those white, nimble fingers sliding over the plex of his locker…
Chapter 2 by aranenumenesse
Author's Notes:
Should have known better than to start writing this. Logie got the last word. Smug bastard.
”Easy now, kid.”

It has been five hundred years and I still wake up screaming.

“I got you, kid. You’re alright.”

Five hundred years. Those lockers weren’t working, but that didn’t matter. We both died in there but that didn’t matter.

“Hush now. You don’t want that prick of a shrink to get yet another good excuse to go poking in to your head.”

Five hundred years, off from shipping lanes, frozen solid because something had damaged the drop-ship and recycling and environmental systems weren’t functioning. Fucking five hundred years and they got the nerve to bring us back like it was nothing, like we were a bunch of fucking Sleeping Beauties just waiting for our Princes!

“You have to calm down before this ruckus wakes up everybody else.”

They brought him back with the help from the maggots. They had eaten his skeleton clean, but researchers we’re able to extract his DNA from their feces. From there on it was no problem to grow a batch of cells and plant them on to the skeleton and just wait for everything to grow back.

“Shut up and I don’t have to knock you out.”

With me it was a bit trickier. Since my locker hadn’t worked either I had splattered to nice and colorful mural all over it. They waited until he was all back to himself and just tossed him in to my locker. His body heat melted my remains and my cells activated, hungrier than they had been ever before. At one moment I was actually more a part of him, slippery membrane of tendons, veins and hunger covering him from head to toe. And when I came to, got back my real form and laid next to him he died again. It took almost a week from him to recover from the drain.

“Good girl. Just go back to sleep, okay? I’ll… I’ll be over there on that chair in case you need anything.”

He can’t die. I can’t die as long as he’s alive. And we’re not expendable anymore, like him and his team was when they were sent to retrieve the cargo from our crashed ship. We have to stay sane and alive so that we can guide another team to that location because they want to study closer those black creatures that live out there.

“You don’t have to worry. I’ll take care of you.”

And he doesn’t see. Doesn’t realize that it’s no my wellbeing I’m worried over.

“What the hell are you doing, kid?”

What does it look like? That bed was warm and cozy, but his lap is safer. I can curl myself around him and feel him breathing, hear his heart beating and those powerful arms around me when he stands up and starts walking back and forth, staying out of reach of the cameras that are supposed to monitor us when we sleep.

“Can’t sleep with those fucks staring at you?”

Can’t sleep because he sits on that cold plastic chair all alone, his head drooping from side to side as he in turn falls asleep and jolts awake. First thing we did when they put us in this room we made a deal. One of us would always stay awake while other slept. I have been doing most of the sleeping but he claims that it’s okay. That he slept with those maggots long enough.

----------------------------------------------------------

“And that’s our cue…”

Door is sliding open and there are people waiting for us. Armed people. With uniforms matching to ours. Our unit. At least part of it. That can’t be all. That planet ate up fifty highly trained men and women the last time. They can’t possibly send us down there with a unit of ten.

“Stay close to me. Make sure that you get in to a locker that’s next to mine. And God help them if they’re not working properly…”

Everybody’s laughing and telling how cute and old-fashioned he is. Because there’s no separate lockers anymore, just a huge tank. Everybody gets in and it gets filled with some kind of jelly, and pressure is adjustable. Much better than old lockers that were death traps anyway, malfunctioning almost fifty percent of the time one way or the other. And it’s his turn to laugh when they tell him that everybody gets in to the tank naked. His turn to laugh because nobody has really paid a thought to my mutation and what will happen to a poor sucker that accidentally brushes against me when we’re in that tank.

----------------------------------------------------------

“Just relax, kid. It’s going to be alright.”

And then it becomes impossible to speak. Cool liquid flows in to my locker. He demanded a locker for both of us. He wasn’t going to go in to that tank knowing that I’d be all alone out here. And I’m falling to sleep. There’s a hand against the plex of his locker. A real hand. His palm. He’s in there alone. Just him. Not an army of squirming and wriggling maggots…
Chapter 3 by aranenumenesse
”Are they fucking nuts? Separate groups? How the fuck would I have known which way to go? Half of my fucking brain was missing that last day!”

That’s… That’s right. But that’s not the only reason why he insisted that we all stick together. He wants to keep me close to him. And he wants to get closer to the woman that’s walking beside us. She could be Vasquez’s sister. In a way she is. She’s a clone.

“Okay, kid. You know the drill… Up you go!”

I’m heavier than I was back then. But then again he’s well fed and rested. And wants to show off. He knows perfectly well what lifting me up does to his arms. How it makes the muscles ripple under skin that’s already covered with thin sheen of sweat and muck.

“Give us a warning if you see anything moving, okay darling?”

And then his whole attention turns to Vasquez. Or the woman resembling her. I tune out their hushed voices as they compare notes about our surroundings and the most effective way of disposing the creeps we’ll surely be facing. His shoulders feel comforting. Wide and hard, shifting only slightly when he wades through the water. His hair is longer than it was the last time, but still standing up on proud peaks on both sides of his head. Vasquez… I’ll call her Vasquez… Top of her head barely reaches Logan’s shoulders, but what she’s missing in stature she certainly replaces with attitude and firepower. The gun she’s carrying, I wish they had those back then. Maybe things would have gone little differently if Logan’s team had a decent weapons, and… What was that?

“I saw it, kid. Careful, everybody! Un-friendlies in the water!”

----------------------------------------------------------

They were cocky and arrogant. They’re no more joking and laughing. Not when half of them are missing and there are just five of them left.

“Okay. Listen up. There’s a good chance that none of you pathetic bastards gets across this swamp alive.”

Now they’ll listen. It’s already too late, but it’s better than never. Because he’s right.

“I have been there. Head full of shit and piss, goddamned sure that this isn’t the day I die. And on a day like that I died. None of you fucks have my mutation, so unless you’re planning to cease to exist you stop screwing around or walk back to the evac zone. Is that clear?”

Half of his anger is born from fear. The other half from disappointment. Vasquez’s look-alike was all attitude. Real one wouldn’t have made a mistake that even the greenest of rookies could have avoided easily. The real one lasted at his side significantly longer than the clone.

“Let’s get moving! We’ll take the point! Rest of you… Scatter behind us! Fucking scatter, I said! Fucking pansies…”

When one of them dares to ask what formation scatter is he looks about ready to finish off them all. But he doesn’t. He explains with very calm and patient voice that scatter means scatter, That it isn’t some fucking formation from some goddamned guide-book, but a way to divide the team and prevent us all from getting killed even if one or few more of us gets eaten.

----------------------------------------------------------

“You okay up there, kid?”

He squeezes my knee and glances briefly upwards. I flash a hesitant smile.

“Not quite what I had in mind for you when we left this planet, but I’ll make sure that you get through this.”

We start moving and I try not to squeeze him too hard, try my best not to block his view when I hug his head briefly. His shoulders bunch under me, but he relaxes as soon as I let go. And for a while everything goes well. As it should go. Air is hot and humid. Men behind us keep cursing bugs that are pestering them. Scent of rot and dirt hangs heavy in the air. He stumbles a bit but finds his balance before I fall in to that black water. We’re making good progress. Then suddenly without warning all hell breaks loose.

----------------------------------------------------------

“Let me see that… Shit. We’ll have to put some stitches on that… Any one of you useless wankers a medic?”

It’s not bad. It isn’t. He won’t let me see, but it isn’t bad. Just a scrape on my forehead. And small gash on my thigh. Not bad.

“You call those stitches? That’ll fucking leave a scar! You think she’d appreciate to walk around for the rest of her life looking like a fucking Frankenstein’s monster? … Never mind what that is, just keep those straight and even…”

Now they actually managed to kill one of those black beasts. It’s a shame. We were supposed to get a live specimen. I guess we’re going to spend quite some time out here.

“…It doesn’t fucking matter! Even if she’d be unable to touch for the rest of her life she doesn’t have to look like some deranged sewing machine attacked her! Give me that! And get the hell away from her!”

Only one, and it managed to tear apart one of them. The whole remaining team is tending their scrapes and bruises. We were lucky that we were this close to dry land already. I can hear them whispering to each other. I can hear every word as clear as a day. I can smell everything. I can see. Everything has gained almost sickening level of clarity all of a sudden. He touched me. It was bad but he touched me to make it better and it still takes stitches to keep me falling apart?

“You got little mangled. Now… I’m no expert on this, but I’m better than that fuck that has the balls to call himself a medic. Stay still now and you’re probably able to look in to a mirror without screaming later.”

----------------------------------------------------------

“Sit.”

I’m getting the mother of all déjà vu’s. We’re in a container. The first one on our path to the Nest. I’m sitting in a corner at the back, he’s sharing rations for his men before he walks to me and hands me a… An energy bar. Whole energy bar, canteen of fresh water and a small package of sickening sweet paste.

“Eat.”

It’s hard to chew when there’s a row of stitches running all the way from my forehead, over my cheek down to my jaw, but I bite in. He eats his portion, staring blankly forward. When we’re finished he pulls me on his lap and lets me curl upon him like a living blanket.

“Sleep.”

His hands rest on my back. I can feel the muscles and tendons in them shifting, and there’s a metallic hissing sound. His claws. They’re out. He heard the team whispering earlier as well as I did.
Chapter 4 by aranenumenesse
Author's Notes:
Okay. One more people from Aliens movie-verse steps in to picture.
”There it was.”

They’re staring at awe. What once used to be highly effective, top-modern cargo ship has now turned to a living fortress. As centuries have passed generation after generation the black beasts have grown in skill and numbers. The Nest has grown in size and complexity as they have been adding their fallen pack mate’s chitin enforced bodies to form more durable structure. A huge hive with hundreds of possible entries.

“Go in and die, or turn back home and live. Kid and me... We have done our share.”

Logan says and sits to a rock, letting me down from his shoulders. He hasn’t understood yet. Doesn’t understand for what exactly they needed me for on this trip. He’ll soon realize. He has done his share. Now it’s time for me to start leading the troops. I know the inner core of the Nest. After all, I lived in there a month, hiding from those black beasts and eating rations I found from the remains of our ship.

----------------------------------------------------------

“I’ll take care of her.”

Logan grabs my hand. Falls in step next to Hicks. I like Hicks. He’s nice. Almost like Logan. He doesn’t like Logan, but I think he likes me. He doesn’t glare and whisper like the others when I’m around. And I think Logan knows that I like him. He lets me walk next to Hicks and tries not to snap at him like he does to the others.

“But anything happens to her in there… Heads will roll. Those black bastards are amateurs compared to me when it comes to making people hurt…”

Hicks nods. And tells Logan that I’m the first priority once we get in because I’m the only one who can navigate in there. Then he ruffles my hair. Logan’s grip from my hand tightens.

“Careful, Dwayne. I’m not dragging your comatose ass home…”

----------------------------------------------------------

We manage to get in undetected. This is the newer part of the Nest, and I don’t have the slightest of clue where to go. Logan and Hicks decide that we start walking towards the core. Take the shortest possible route through the maze of corridors.

“Everybody, keep your mouth shut. These fuckers can track us down easily enough as it is…”

Hicks. He’s crouching next to me, whispering to the intercom. He smiles and winks at me. Then Logan’s there, grabbing us and throwing us to safety when the wall next to us suddenly moves and it isn’t a wall, it’s a beast and that jaw shots right through Logan’s thigh and it’s stupid, stupid thing to do but I can’t stop screaming because it’s tearing in to Logan, hurting him and there’s so much blood and Hicks is there he’s shooting, he’s shooting and if he isn’t careful… No!


----------------------------------------------------------

“Stop screaming kid before I smack you.”

Logan’s alright. He’s healing; he’s not bleeding anymore. He’s tearing off smoking and melting gear from Hicks. Vest, his gun, radio, everything until Hicks is naked from waist up and there’s still that glowing green blood on him and it’s eating him, burning through skin and muscle. Logan tries to wipe it off but Hicks stops him. Pulls Logan closer and I can hear them whispering something. I can’t hear the words, but Logan squeezes Hicks’ hand and gives him back his rifle.

“Time to go, kid…”

We’re walking deeper in to the nest, rest of the team sliding carefully from shadow to shadow. I turn to look back. Hicks leans against the wall, clutching his rifle. His left shoulder is an ugly mess of green slime and coagulated blood, and I can’t be sure from this distance, but I think… Yes. His left hand… It’s… It’s melting. I can see something pink and white; I think that’s his upper arm bones… He lets go of his rifle and raises his right arm. Waves at me and tries to smile. It’s more of a grimace. And I don’t want to go. I want to stay here and make sure that he gets better but Logan keeps dragging me away.
Chapter 5 by aranenumenesse
”It’s your turn, kid. I think this chamber used to be your ship’s mess. Isn’t this where we found you?”

This is where Logan found me. I was in that corner, dead on sure that I’d die. One of the creatures had decided to try if it could implant an embryo in me. Logan got in the way when it jumped towards me, and instead of me he got infected. Now there’s no egg on the floor ready to hatch, but I can’t…

“Easy now, kid… It’s okay. Just take us to the queen’s chamber, okay? You think you could do that?”

He’s pale. Pale and sweating. He’s afraid. He tries to act like there’s nothing wrong, but it’s kind of pointless when that beaten-dog –expression on his face gives his bluff away. He’s afraid. And four men that are left from our group are grinning from ear to ear. Why? What is so funny?

----------------------------------------------------------

“When we get out of here you make sure that you stick with Hicks. Is that clear?”

Hicks? He’s alive? But…

“I’m going to grab one of those fuckers in to me and when we get back to the ship they’re putting me in to stasis so that it doesn’t start developing. You stick with Hicks, kid. The rest of these assholes… Stay clear from them.”

No!

“Come on, kid. Let go. Let go of me. It’s… It’s not bad. As soon as we get back home they’re taking it out and we can… Kid?”

----------------------------------------------------------

I’m getting out of here. I can hide. I can go and hide and I don’t have to worry over anybody but myself for the rest of my life. Just past the queen’s chamber, through this corridor and…

“Don’t move. Don’t move a fucking inch. Back out… Slowly.”

Hicks. And the queen. Hicks with a rifle that looks like a toy compared to the queen. There are eggs everywhere and they’re all ready to hatch.

“Back out slowly and go and get Logan. Do it now.”

They’re not moving. Hicks is aiming at one of the eggs with his rifle and the queen is hanging from the ceiling like an obsidian statue, drool dribbling from its jaws.

“Move. I don’t know how long I can stand here. Tell Logan to hurry up.”

It’s just Hicks. Just Hicks. Maybe if it was Logan I would do what he asks me to do but… Oh, God. I can’t just leave him there alone! I have to go back and find Logan. Maybe he won’t have the time to go through with that stupid plan when Hicks is in trouble?

----------------------------------------------------------

“Where the hell did you go?”

Now is not the time to start arguing or explaining. I grab his hand and pull him after me. Team follows us. We run, run, we have to get there faster before the queen decides that one egg is an acceptable loss when dealing with Hicks!

“Dwayne.”

Hicks only raises his chin slightly. There’s sweat on his face and his knees are shivering. There’s practically nothing left from his left arm. The queen turns its head and lets out a low hiss. Like a cat. Warning us from getting closer. And there’s movement all around us. As soon as Hicks lowers his rifle they will strike. Then the rest of the team barges in and all bets are off.
Chapter 6 by aranenumenesse
”Don’t you worry… I’m not going anywhere. Just go and get him out… Oh, fuck!”

We got out. Hicks and I, we got out, but everybody else is still in there. At least Hicks isn’t bleeding. The acid in the blood of those creatures cauterized the vessels. His left hand fell off somewhere back there when we were running out, and now I have to go back there and drag Logan out because I’m not going to leave this planet without him.

“I’m going to be just fine… Just fine… Grab me with you when you come out…”

He’s already high up there somewhere, falling to that numb state. I don’t know what was in that syringe that he emptied awfully close to his jugular, but what ever it was, it’s pretty strong stuff. I wouldn’t mind a hit of that myself. Just enough to stop my knees from shivering.

“Fucking go already… Or drag me back to the ship and we can nuke this place from the orbit…”

I just have to. If I’m really careful it won’t hurt him. Just a quick peck on his cheek…

“Shit… Come here…”

This… It… It was a kiss. A real kiss. He kissed me. Not just a quick peck on to my cheek but a real kiss. And he’s… He’s alright?

“I’m a clone. Immune to most mutations… But don’t go getting any ideas… I’m not immune to Logan’s claws. Go!”

I’m five hundred and fifteen years old, and I just got the first kiss of my life from a torn up clone soldier on a planet swarming with all kinds of lethal and disgusting creatures. First, and probably the last. Those black beasts are on full alert now. There’s no sneaking in undetected anymore, but I won’t leave Logan behind. That’s not an option.

----------------------------------------------------------

“Kid? Next time you stop to play some tonsil hockey do me a favor. Switch off the intercom.”

Logan! He’s… Is he alright?

“I’m alright. Can’t say the same for the rest of the team. Stay where you are. I’m coming out. These bastards won’t touch me anymore.”

He sounds alright. But somehow weird. And tired. Almost like… Almost like back when we first met. Beaten.

“Since you were kissing somebody I’m going to take a wild guess. Hicks is with you. Tell him to keep his paws off from you. And start getting ready to leave. We’re not sitting on this piece of rock any longer than it’s absolutely necessary… Shit…”

He’s throwing up. He’s sick.

“Fuck… Looks like I have gotten an escort… Kid? You better take Hicks and start retreating. I have some company…”

----------------------------------------------------------

“We have to move faster…”

Hicks is nearly in panic, trying to stumble through thick and murky water. I’m too occupied, trying to keep him up and keep an eye on our surroundings to feel the actual fear, but every time I glace over my shoulder I feel like throwing up. Logan’s there. Keeping his distance because his current company would most likely perceive Hicks and me as tasty snacks. One of those black beasts is walking beside him, looking after Logan, fussing and screeching like a worried mother hen every time Logan sways or stumbles.

“Faster… Faster…”

I don’t know if Hicks even sees Logan. When his gaze flickers over his shoulder it looks like the beast is the only thing he sees. I can hear only his desperate whispering and our breathing. Logan has switched off the intercom.

“They’re herding us… This isn’t the way to the ship. We’re turning back towards the Nest…”

Hicks is hallucinating. We’re not turning anywhere. I can see a container, our first pit stop little further ahead. We just have to cross that lake and we’re there. But where the hell is Logan? He was right behind us just few moments ago!

“Herding us… They won’t let him leave now that he’s got one of them inside of him. And you’re not leaving without him, right?”
Chapter 7 by aranenumenesse
Author's Notes:
Jumping forward in time for few years.
”I’ll bring him back. My ship leaves tomorrow morning.”

Hicks. After ten years he’s leaving me. Leaving me because radar of some passing cargo ship detected something that passes a human life form from a godforsaken lump of rocks and muck. Ten years he has been coming to see me every day, making me laugh and smile despite of the nausea that the medication always leaves me with. And now he’s leaving just because it might be Logan out there.

“It… I don’t want you to get your hopes up. It might be nothing. Radar shooting blanks or something. We scorched that place for good, and truth to be told, even with his mutation… I don’t believe it was possible to survive from those blasts. But I’ll go and see. And if it is him… If it is Logan, I bring him home.”

I don’t want him to go. I reach for his hand over the table. It’s cold. Silvery metal and ceramics. We left his real hand behind just like we left Logan after he contacted me for the last time and told us to evac and nuke the place; those creatures weren’t letting him go. At first I had been frantic, ready to go after him and pull him out from what ever hell they had dragged him, but then the voice of reason stepped in. Hicks. If I had left him and went after Logan we all would have probably died on that planet.

“I’d take you with me if it was sure. If I could say for 100 percent surety that it is him out there, I’d take you with me.”

But if it is so unsure why is he even leaving? And what company is willing to finance a possibly futile safari to a class two inhabitable jungle planet that has no natural resources to harvest? And if it really is Logan… We left him there. I left him there. Abandoned him when he needed me the most. If it really is him… What is he thinking? What is he going to do when he sees Hicks? What is he going to do when he sees me? If he even wants to see me.



Everybody around here is so nice to me. Asking how I’m doing. If there’s anything I need. If I want to go for a walk. Or would I like to join to the others at the day hall for some board games. Board games? Walking? I just want to go to my room and hide under my bed!

I have already changed my opinion at least dozen times today, and the nurse keeping the visitor’s log is starting to look tired. Last time I asked her to send away all my possible visitors, but what if… What if Logan really wants to see me? What if he isn’t angry? And could the guys working at the security really stop him if he wanted to see me?

Would it end the dreams I still keep seeing, sometimes even when I’m awake if I saw Logan for one last time?
Chapter 8 by aranenumenesse
I saw him briefly when they brought him in. Strapped to a gurney, heavily chained and sedated. Hicks came to see me. He had a set of scars on his face, three clean slices running from his left temple, over his nose and ending to the right side of his jaw.

“He’s physically alright. Better than alright. But… It isn’t a good idea for you to go to see him yet. He’s… Messed up from the head.”

And whose fault is that? Who left him there, abandoned him in to that hell? I did that. I decided that the lives of Hicks and mine were worth more than Logan’s sanity. Hicks tried to stop me. Told me that we could wait on the orbit until he was better, and then go back and look for Logan. I wanted just to get away from there. Selfish bitch.

“I’m sure they’ll tell you when it’s safe to go see him.”

Selfish bitch, who left Logan in to that hell, traded his life for a better life for me. A life I squandered fast. First year I lived at the base with Hicks. We were fucking. There was no love, just sex. It kept my nightmares at bay for a while.

“They hadn’t been… Hadn’t been hurting him more than it was absolutely necessary. The queen… I think it was little taken with him. Or something. No matter how many embryos it laid Logan didn’t die. He was the perfect host, so they kept him fed and somewhat comfortable.”

Like it matters. I saw that in my mind; saw everything as clear as the day. Logan in a black, glistening cocoon, screaming and struggling when yet another one of those creatures was eating its fill from his innards and then tearing out through his stomach. I kept seeing it, and when those visions came so vivid that I could no longer tell what was real and what was my imagination I asked Hicks to bring me here. Dr. Jeffries has been my shrink for the past nine years. He’s good. He’s the best there is, and even he hasn’t managed to root out those nightmares from me.

“I saw Jeffries. He told me that he’d try to arrange your meeting with Logan as soon as it’s possible. He thinks it might help you.”

----------------------------------------------------------

“Kid? Take Hicks and leave… I’m not going to make it… But before you go, put Hicks on the line. I’ll… I’ll give him my coordinates. A good place to drop few nukes, I think… I think this is the main chamber…”

Oh, God…

“Kid? Marie? Wait up… Tell Hicks to take good care of you… If he isn’t, I’ll hunt him down and drag him in to Hell with me.”

After those words a brief pause, then something tearing and wet, dripping sound.

“Fuck… Put Hicks on the line, kid… Now…”

Dr. Jeffries thinks that it isn’t healthy for me to keep listening that recording, but for so many years it was all that I had left. At first it made me cry. Then, when I could concentrate past his voice and words it made me feel sick when I realized what was happening while he spoke. The black beast was hatching from him. Now, in a perverse way it gives me hope. He told us to go.
Chapter 9 by aranenumenesse
It took a month before they let me see him. A month. And they warned me. I wouldn’t be able to go to him. I wouldn’t be able to talk to him. He wouldn’t necessarily even register my presence. And he wouldn’t be as pretty as he was the last time I saw him. Pretty? What a strange word to use.

“We have to keep him in that chamber until the radiation level sinks to the normal level.”

But why it is so dark in there? I can barely see… There’s something, a shape, curled on to a cot at the far wall…

“We keep the lighting in the chamber at low level because bright light seems to hurt his eyes.”

Closer. Closer to the thick glass window separating me from him. Closer until I can press my hands against the cool surface. Geiger meters that survey the chamber keep crackling at the background.

“Adamantium on his bones is still highly radioactive, but we believe that we’re able to release him from the containment to the psychiatric ward after six months from now.”

It’s moving. He’s moving. Away from the cot. Towards the window. Towards me.

“He can’t see through that glass. Unfortunate side-effect of the led shielding.”

He can’t see. He can’t hear. He can’t smell. How is it possible that his palm lands flat against the glass right where my palm rests? How is it possible that those blind, milky white eyes stare straight at me? And how it is possible for him to stay upright and not to scream when his flesh is practically boiling over his bones, blisters and boils bubbling and bursting, his healing too busy to fend off all of them? Why? Why is he still alive? Why can’t they just kill him? Why?

“I think this is quite enough…”

No. It isn’t enough. He’s leaning closer. Closer to the glass separating us. His lips brush against the surface briefly and leave bloodied print on it before he falls backwards and crawls back to the corner. Curls back on to the cot.

----------------------------------------------------------

Hicks is dead. I thought it was already over, but he came to see me after I got back from my visit to Logan.

“How was he?”

I told him the truth. That I’d rather seen Logan dead. Hicks let out a dry cackle, almost laugh.

“At least he’s stopped screaming. I don’t know if he’s quiet because his throat is sore or if he’s not hurting so bad anymore. But he’s going to be alright.”

Yes. Logan will be alright, but Hicks won’t. I was wondering whether I should tell him what I saw when I looked in his eyes, but then Hicks solved my dilemma for me.

“I… I just came to say goodbye, Marie.”

He knew. I didn’t have to tell him about the white flashes that I saw clouding his eyes briefly. He knew and told me, smiling slightly, that he had bought a ship. A small skiff. He was in a hurry already. He was going to sneak in to the base and fill the skiff with every possible explosive device he could find, then set a course to that jungle planet.

“I know that it hardly makes a difference. We dropped goddamned nukes there and hell of a lot good it did back then… But at least I can squash some of those fucking maggots on my way out.”
Chapter 10 by aranenumenesse
For the last two weeks Logan has been staying in a room next to mine. Makes it for the nurses more convenient, they can dope us both without too much hassle when nightmares strike again. It’s weird. It looks almost as if we were dreaming the same dreams. When I have an easier night, so does Logan. When I wake up screaming and puking my guts out, same kind of screams and cries greet me from through the wall.

“I win. Yippee.”

He doesn’t speak. He doesn’t move. He just sits when nurses help him to the day room. Sits and stares forward. Sometimes I sit with him and pretend that we’re playing one of those god-awful board games they keep reserved for us loonies.

“You look a bit better today.”

At least he’s grown some skin over his skull. It won’t take long before his hair starts to grow back. At least I hope so. He looks creepy. No eyelashes. No beard. No chops. No hair or eyebrows. Just smooth, pink skin. Makes me sick. I can still see in my mind’s eye how he was just few months ago. Bits and pieces falling off from him when he moved. Large flaps of decayed flesh and skin, well cooked, peeling off and revealing metal skeleton. I can still smell the stench of electricity and burnt blood.

“Hungry?”

And there comes the food cart. Fuck. I can’t do this. I can’t sit here and pretend that roasted beef is actually good when all I can think of is Logan shedding his skin and flesh. I’m going to take my tray and go to my room to eat. I’m a bastard. The least I could do was to keep him company, but I just can’t. I can’t when he just stares at me. He doesn’t even blink, for Christ’s sakes! And he’s drooling. I can’t…

“Kid?”

“Logan?”

His hand is on my hand, those fingers around my wrist and I’m going to drop the tray and scream if he doesn’t let go soon! His flesh is so soft and spongy, it’s like those maggots and I’m going to scream… Can’t scream. Can’t… He just spoke for the first time in God knows how long…

“Logan?”

“Kid.”

“It’s me.”

“Kid.”

“I’m Marie.”

----------------------------------------------------------

In retrospect it wasn’t the smartest thing to do to start screaming when Logan refused to let go of my hand. It was downright stupid. But I couldn’t help myself. I could see him, first eaten by maggots, slimy white and stringy thingies crawling over his skin, burrowing in and out of him, spreading in to me. I could see him cooking alive, flesh burning and melting and bubbling from the radiation. So I screamed. Logan freaked out and clawed first of the nurses that was coming to my aid because he thought that the nurse was attacking me. It took them better part of an hour to get him sedated and restrained. Thank God he didn’t kill anybody.

At least he’s speaking now. Even if it is just one syllable. And he was looking at me instead of staring off in to space.
Chapter 11 by aranenumenesse
”Sit.”

Better do as he tells me to do. Lights are on, there’s some sort of intelligence in those eyes, but I don’t think there’s anybody home at the moment. At least not anybody that I know.

“I’m getting us out of here, kid.”

I don’t know where exactly he thinks we are, but he just slaughtered the security guard who tried to stop us, so I’m going to sit still and follow his lead. I don’t have any intentions to end up yet another casualty.

“I don’t have a fucking clue about what’s going on, but this is not a place for us anymore… Okay, that’s taken care of. Come on. We better run.”

----------------------------------------------------------

He rigged the door. From where he got C-4 I don’t know. Not a place for us anymore? What the hell is that supposed to mean?

“Faster!”

Streets are dark. They’re never dark! Is there really something wrong? Oh, I wish he would tell me about these things!

“Keep running! I don’t know how long we have before… Fuck!”

Explosion. Looks like our time just run out. Somebody noticed that we’re missing. Well, basically I’m allowed to come and go as I please, but Logan… He’s another issue. He’s still classified as a potential threat to society.

----------------------------------------------------------

“We can rest for a while.”

That’s good to hear. My feet hurt and I think my lungs are planning a strike of some sort. Running full tilt around the city for several hours really isn’t my forte. Hasn’t been for several years now.

“We have to get off from this planet. As soon as possible. When there are ships still left.”

When there are ships still left? What the fuck is going on?

“I have… A connection of sorts with the creature they found inside of me. They decided to raise it. Study it. It was a queen. They got more critters to study when she laid eggs. Somebody made a mistake just few hours ago. They’re loose now. And at least two of them are queens. We have to get off from this fucking planet. Just have to find a ship and a crew that doesn’t ask too many questions.”

I’m not sure if I can trust him. I’m not sure at all. That doesn’t sound like… Why the hell would they do something like that? After they saw what those things are capable of, why would have they brought one of them back to Earth? Or better yet, why would they have bred even more of them when it’s quite obvious that it’s impossible to control or contain them?

“I know that I’m not right from the head, but they… Fuck. Sometimes it feels like I’m the only sane person left!”

Uh-huh. I know the feeling.

“Okay. Time to get going. Spaceport is most likely toast already. Have to find a private party.”

And again we’re running. Or more accurately, Logan’s running. I’m trying to, but my feet refuse to cooperate, so I’m really just struggling to keep upright as Logan drags me along. And it’s starting to sound like he was right. Explosions coming from the general direction of the Spaceport. Screaming. Flames and smoke coloring the night sky red and grey.

----------------------------------------------------------

Fuck. We really are screwed.
Chapter 12 by aranenumenesse
”Sit.”

And if it isn’t the mother of all poor and used up twists in the plot… We got off from the planet, hitched a ride in a last ship with somewhat working engines and a crew that consists mostly of other runaways and shady characters.

“Wait here. I’ll go and have a chat with our captain.”

We got ourselves a cabin of sorts. Isolated from the rest of the crew, hidden at the back corner of the cargo bay. A small hangar usually reserved for powerloaders. The whole 500 and plus years we first spent frozen and then in a mental institute our credits kept piling up, and now we basically own this ship. Basically. Captain is still the captain, and she handles the ship and the crew.

----------------------------------------------------------

“She doesn’t know where to go yet. We’re staying on the orbit for now, until we know better.”

That sounds like a plan. At least we’re not shooting off in to space blindly, like most of the ships did.

“Though I’m not sure of how wise that decision is. She could have at least moved this heap of junk to circle the Moon instead. Harder to spot from there.”

Harder to spot? What the hell is he talking about? Those creatures aren’t going to bother with outer space, all they’re interested are the people down below. The ones they can reach and grab to plant embryos.

“It’s not going to take long from those people still left down there to realize that there still are ships left up here. It’s not going to take long from them to figure out how to use those defensive cannons to shoot few of us down. With this kind of ship it doesn’t take a direct hit, the shot might miss us altogether, but it could still disrupt systems and force us to land for repairs.”

And this small ship would be swarming. Swarming with people at first. Those creatures would follow soon.

“Margo… The captain, she’s working with the echo officer. They’re trying to contact other ships, the ones that left already. They’re trying to figure out where everybody went, and if… If they all went to same direction, perhaps we could follow.”

----------------------------------------------------------

Hour 4800. Counter left from 0000 hours when we left the atmosphere behind. We’re still on the orbit, just sitting here and waiting. There’s still no confirmed contact. All channels are jumbled, nothing is getting through, and now they’re starting to suspect that somebody is messing the frequencies intentionally.

“Has to be somebody from the ship. Nothing except those laser cannons can reach us from the Earth’s surface. We haven’t told to anybody yet. It’s you, me, captain and echo who know about this now.”

Captain. Vasquez look-alike. Echo. Modeled after Hicks. It has been eleven years and few days, plus few measly hours since I last slept with him. He really knew what to do. What buttons to push to make me reach the point where I was nothing and nobody, just feeling good and sated.

I wonder if that was a herited trait, something passed along in his genes.

I wonder if Echo could do the same for me.

As the last traces of the sedatives are leaving my system, I’m beginning to notice these things. My body has been missing a human contact for far too long.

“Okay… And that’s our cue. Come on, kid. We better leave and let captain and echo to do their job…”

We’re leaving? Now? Just as it was getting more interesting, I think Echo was starting to notice my presence, and…

----------------------------------------------------------

“You’re not getting involved with these fucking clones anymore, kiddo. They’re all too fragile.”

But…

“I know. You’re grown up and yadda-yadda and all that shit. It fucking doesn’t matter. Each and every one of these fucks around us is expendable. They’re artificial, designed to be used and then discarded. You wouldn’t even think about fucking with that powerloader, right?”

No, but that’s not…

“Shit… I’m sorry, kid. I really am. But I just want to make sure that you don’t get hurt anymore.”
Chapter 13 by aranenumenesse
We are getting closer. Slowly, but surely we have managed to narrow the group of suspects. Now there’s only five left. There’s only one downside I can think of.

“I’m quite positive that it can’t be echo. I ran a thorough check on him. There’s nothing, absolutely nobody at the surface waiting for him. He got out of the pod week prior all this shit.”

Echo. Captain. Logan. Me. The chief engineer. Our suspects. So, in fact, there’s no list of five. There are four separate lists of possible suspects, each innocent having their own, and the real perpetrator knowing the truth.

“Yeah. Captain? Who knows. She does have a history. She left behind at least two lovers. And chief engineer? I know exactly jack shit about him, and the captain says that he enlisted just few weeks ago, but that he’s been out of the pod at least three years already…”

Logan’s pondering the possible suspects, trying to arrange the list. He’s purposefully avoiding one name. He’s trying not to say it out loud, but…

“I know that you don’t have a reason. Your possible reasons went straight to hell with Dwayne. I… I was sorry to hear about it, kid. I guess he was okay, taking care of you and everything…”

Maybe I should tell him. Explain how it was between me and Hicks. Perhaps then he wouldn’t be such an ass. Perhaps then he would see why it wouldn’t matter even if I slept with the whole goddamned crew.

Oh, I did like Hicks. I guess I loved him a bit. I still miss him. But it wasn’t the same kind of love I feel for Logan. When Hicks died, I think something in me died just a little with him.

If it had been Logan…

----------------------------------------------------------

Dinner is a forced farce of politeness. Everybody’s too wound up and scared to say anything to anybody. Everybody knows that there’s a traitor in our midst that’s stopping us all to flee to safety. Everybody’s eating, but reluctantly. What if the cook did it? What would stop him from poisoning us all?

“It’s good. Eat up.”

I’m going to trust Logan’s nose. He’d probably pick up if there was anything wrong with the thin soup we’re having. It’s nearly cold and quite tasteless. Scent is a funny mix of sweet and salt water. It’s full of nutrients and vitamins, low on the scale of waste production, just as everything else we’re going to eat during this merry trip of ours. I’m already missing the energy bars and that strange, yucky paste, but those are reserved for ground troops only.

“I’ll tell the captain to arrest the cook. Perhaps the real traitor will get careless.”

They should arrest the cook anyway. That way we would have to turn to stacks of rations stored at bay, because currently he’s the only one who knows how to operate the kitchen.

----------------------------------------------------------

We’re moving. Just a short burst away from the orbit, to strengthen the illusion that we actually know what we’re doing now. The cook is steaming in his quarters, probably plotting his revenge as we keep spinning the net tighter. Now we know that it can’t be the chief engineer.

“He would have sabotaged the engines rather than let us leave the orbit. Fuck. That doesn’t leave too many options now, does it…”

I wish Logan would keep his mouth shut, especially around captain, because where I’m standing at she’s starting to look an awful suitable candidate for the role of a traitor. We did barge in hastily. We did practically force her to sell this ship to us. We did force her to leave the ground before she had everything finished.

“That doesn’t leave too many options at all…”

Captain is agreeing with Logan now, her gaze following my every move.
Chapter 14 by aranenumenesse
Beef. We’re having beef for supper. Beef for breakfast, beef for lunch, beef for dinner, beef for supper. I’d take bland soup instead of it, but we still haven’t figured how to use the room that passes for a kitchen here.

“I’m thinking of giving up. Those other ships… They’re too far off already. We can keep circling the Moon for a while longer, but eventually we have to land.”

I’m not going to think about the barcode at the side of the lump of beef I got.

“So, in a way our dear captain won. We have to land on Earth. If not for else, to restock our supplies. And we need a new crew.”

That we do. As soon as it became apparent that the captain was the real traitor, and that she was planning to pin it all on us, we really had no choice.

“But I think we should wait a while longer before we do anything. Perhaps try and see if we can contact anybody on the surface. We need more info about what’s going on down there before we can land.”

----------------------------------------------------------

There’s only so much you can do with a blowtorch, so we eat most of the beef rare, or very, very well-done. Logan prefers rare, I’ll stick to charred version. And I’m slowly learning to use the kitchen. Well, it’s not a kitchen per say, just a collection of containers attached to each other with wires and tubes. There are switches and meters controlling the flow of different fluids. There’s a unit what probably passes for a kind of an oven. One tube, thicker than rest of them runs through it, and I believe that the fluid is supposed to get warm in there.

“We have been eating this shit so long… I think it’s time to have some rations for a change. Fuck. I was thinking we shouldn’t touch those, who knows how long we can spend time for restocking, but…”

Yes. Rations it is. Energy bars, sweet paste and bottled water.

“Eat up.”

He really doesn’t have to say that.

“Don’t choke on it. We have no doctor on board.”

We did have, but Logan chopped him up with the rest of the crew. They were all supporting the captain. All after us, ready to stuff us through the airlock and reclaim the ship as their own. I can still see it in my mind’s eye.

----------------------------------------------------------

“Brainless bastards! Do you people even understand what’s waiting for you?”

Logan. Standing in front of me, shielding me.

“You people have no idea of what they’re like. No idea of how it feels when the embryo slides down your throat. No idea of how it feels when it starts to grow and feed from your innards.”

And I swear to God, I wish he wouldn’t have to know about that either. But he does.

“And that’s not the worst part. You may squirm and scream a little when you feel those small teeth taking chunks off from you, but the worst part is when you realize, that somehow that fucker has to come out. Eventually it will come out, and all you can do is to lie still and wait.”

They all seemed to listen him up to a point when our good captain reminded them about the weapons stored to large crates all around us in cargo bay. That’s when all hell broke loose and all bets were off. From there on we were game, and they were just a pack of hunters.

None of them seemed to realize that touching my bare skin was a bad idea.

None of them seemed to realize that touching me at all was a very bad idea. Though few of them seemed to get the point after Logan simply cut off head from those who came after me, but then it was already too late.

----------------------------------------------------------

It was a bitch to mop off the blood afterwards, but I wasn’t complaining. Logan did most of the work, first hauling the bodies in to a freezer near the kitchen, then helping me to strip them before they froze stiff.
Chapter 15 by aranenumenesse
Okay, now it’s official. I hate waiting.

“Kid? You still there? Just sit tight; I’m entering the main hangar.”

We got no response from any of the Spaceports we tried, so we chose the one that looked mostly intact. Logan left me to guard the ship. He took only one rifle with him. He’s not even planning to use it on those monsters. He said that he’d rather run than risk getting caught again. He took the gun just to gain authority over possible survivors.

“Everything looks clear. No sign of creepy crawlies here. I wonder where everybody is.”

Three queens. Every queen is capable of producing nearly hundred eggs per day. I wonder if they’re territorial?

“Looks like some sort of computer lab. Monitors, servers… All running smoothly, I think… I’m moving deeper. If there’s anybody alive, I bet they’re hiding at lower levels.”

Lower levels. Sub levels. Mile after mile dark corridors and even darker cubbyholes. Janitorial levels. Don’t go there. Don’t leave me alone up here. You need somebody to watch out for the monsters while you’re looking for survivors.

And there goes the connection. Reception was shitty enough when he entered the hangar. Now I lost him completely. Shit. He’s alone now.

----------------------------------------------------------

It’s been nearly an hour now. If he doesn’t come out soon, I’m going after him. I just wish I had something better than the standard rifle, but it’ll have to do. This time I’m not leaving him behind. If it’s our time to go, we’ll go together. I know he wouldn’t agree, but screw him. Screw him and his macho-bullshit. It’s time that I start… What’s that?

----------------------------------------------------------

“Get the fuck away from here! Get back in to the ship!”

As if. He can just barely walk, and from the sound of it we managed to lock that door just in time. The whole fucking wall is trembling from the force of the blows.

“Walked straight in to a hive… Set it on fire… The queen didn’t approve, and I don’t have a fucking clue of where all the drones are…”

The queen did this? He fought that monstrosity with bare hands?

“There’s nobody… Nobody alive… Don’t touch, don’t touch kid!”

Acid. It’s eating him. It’s eating him as we stumble towards the ship, and I can hear the wall behind us starting to crack. It won’t take long before mommy gets through and finishes what she started.

“Get in to the fucking ship, kid! Everything’s automated; you can handle it by yourself!”

And now I really don’t have a choice anymore. There’s absolutely nothing left in Logan for me to grasp. He’s covered to acid from head to toe, smoking and shivering lump of bleeding flesh and melting skin. And the queen is breaking through, horrifying screech of victory echoing from the buildings surrounding the landing pad.

“Get in to the ship and start the engines… I’ll take care of that black bitch, and then we can get off from this fucking deathtrap…”

It hurts just to look at him, so I turn my back and flee to safety while he stands and waits. Claws out and ready, gleaming from blood and other bodily fluids, just waiting until the queen tears herself free from the remnants of the wall and launches in to attack.