Love's Greatest Gifts by Shadowlady
Summary: She didn't need something, rather she needed someone.
Categories: AU Characters: None
Genres: Angst, Drabble
Tags: None
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 676 Read: 2124 Published: 09/04/2007 Updated: 09/04/2007

1. Love's Greatest Gifts by Shadowlady

Love's Greatest Gifts by Shadowlady
Silent, soft as a baby’s breath she watched the snow falling. She could hear the distant call of a wolf, the cry of an eagle, and smiled softly. Lifting a hand she rubbed the gentle swell of her abdomen as she felt the movement beneath her heart.

“Soon, little one.” The whisper was filled with love as she turned from the windows. It had been a hard year, made even worse by the fight that had taken the man she loved away from her. Two months before she’d watched him drive away, headed back south away from her, away from the restrictions of a wife who couldn’t be what she’d believed he wanted.

It had been the small gifts that had started showing up on her doorstep that told her more than anything in the world that her husband wanted to come home. The last gift she wore around her neck, her fingers too swollen for her to wear the simple band of silver.

Feeling another kick she giggled softly and hurried to make another pot of tea. She would wait to see if tonight would be the night, if he would come to her now or wait until the new year.


Killing the engine he glanced at the bench seat of his truck and shook his head. Two months worth of presents, of material objects sat beside him. He’d shopped for everything he could to help him make her understand but now…now he didn’t think she needed something. No he thought she needed someone, someone who loved her.

With that decision in mind he’d headed for the only home he had. Now he sat in his truck watching the snow fall as he gathered his courage. ‘Stop being a prick and go to her.’ he muttered to himself and opened the door. Leaving the packages behind he started through the snow, his sense of smell guiding him to her, to the woman he’d given his heart.

Ignoring the rapidly plunging temperature he refused to stop until he came to the low hanging branch of a massive spruce tree. Leaning against the rough bark he smiled softly at the glowing window where a rounded shadow moved.

He slogged his way through the snowdrift and up onto the porch where he stomped the snow off and reached for the doorknob. Pushing the door open he stepped inside and stared at the woman who stared back at him from beside the fireplace.

“You made it.”

“I had to.”

“I’m sorry.”

“No, I am. I forgot you need more than what I was giving you. Spent the whole time away from you shopping for things to say I love you.” He paused and shifted uncomfortably. “Then I got to the end of the road and realized that its not the gifts that you wanted or needed from me. It was the words, what it meant to you to hear me say I love you. I’m sorry it took so long for me…”

“I forgive you.”

Leaving his wet boots by the door he hurried across the room and pulled her into a tight embrace. Burying his face in her hair he let the tears fall, “I love you so much.”

“I love you to. We both do.”

Pulling back from her he grinned down at the movement between them. “Can you give me another chance? Can we be a family again?”

“We never stopped being a family, Logan. You just had to face that you could have all of us before you believed in us.”

“It won’t happen again, I promise, Marie. I won’t hurt you again.”

She stood on tip toes to kiss him softly. No, Logan would do whatever he had to so that she felt loved, he’d come to terms with the conditions of his world and he loved her, loved them. He’d learned that he could have what everyone at the mansion had once told him he’d never have.
This story archived at http://wolverineandrogue.com/wrfa/viewstory.php?sid=1882