What are friends for? by Shadowlady
Summary: Jean and Logan have a chat while a silent witness listens in.
Categories: X3 Characters: None
Genres: Angst, Drabble, Shipper
Tags: None
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 829 Read: 2955 Published: 08/15/2007 Updated: 08/15/2007

1. What are friends for? by Shadowlady

What are friends for? by Shadowlady
Jean sighed as she counted the empty bottles on the counter. Moving quickly she picked them up and deposited them into the recyclables bin under the sink before going in search of the man who was trying to drink himself into oblivion.

Five minutes later she stood on the back patio and watched him sucking back another beer, two empties by his side. “Wouldn’t it work faster if you tried something stronger?”

“No.”

Jean moved to sit next to him, reaching for a chilled beer as she did so. She ignored the angry snarl from the man next to her and pulled the cap off. “So what’s got into you that you need to drink so much tonight?”

“You wouldn’t understand if I told you.”

“Try me.”

Sitting in companionable silence she waited, knowing that he would talk in his own good time. Her beer was half gone when he shifted, his forearms resting on his parted knees, his head bent with defeat.

“He doesn’t love her, ya know?”

“Oh?”

“Keeps playin’ her like a drum even while he’s toying with that other girl. Damn fool doesn’t know what he’s got.”

“He’s young, Logan. Youth make mistakes.”

“Not like this. She’s too good for him and he’s got her thinking nobody wants her cause of her skin. Damn fucker doesn’t realize that her skin is who she is. She ain’t no wiltin’ flower, no helpless girl like that other one. I saw ‘em the other night in the back of the jeep out by the lake. I heard him and figured it was her but it wasn’t. Just wanna gut the little fucker.”

“Logan you can’t gut people for cheating.”

“He don’t deserve her. Anyone could do better by her, hell even I could and I’m not a stable person.” Half a bottle of beer disappeared in one swallow. “If she were mine I’d treat her right. Show her what she’s worth, show her what love is all about.”

Jean sighed softly. “You love her.”

A cold, cynical laugh drew a shudder from her body and she turned to stare at him. “I say something funny?”

“Yeah, I love her. I need her. Oh I know what everyone says about you but you ain’t that hot. As pretty as you are you ain’t got nothing. I could find a hundred replacements for you, a couple of hours in the sack and poof you’d be just another notch to me. Now her, her I can never replace. I could never get enough of, there isn’t anyone like her. Oh I know Mystique could imitate but what’s the point? I’d rather have the real thing, the true goddess than a fake. Sorta like buying cigars…why buy a cheap American when you can buy a good, hand rolled quality Cuban?” He dug around in his pocket and pulled out a thick, aromatic cigar and lit it. “’Sides she knows me. Knows the secrets that no one else can ever discover, knows what it is that drives me crazy and gives me such a feeling of peace.”

Jean smiled and nudged his shoulder with her own. “Tell her.”

“Sure, like she’s gonna want a rough, untamed, animal like me.”

Glancing up at a window several stories above them, Jean met the startled gaze of a young woman and smiled. “Oh, something tells me she don’t see you like that. Somehow, I think she sees you as a man.”

“Sure, the Kid does. Don’t mean she wants me. I’ll tell ya though, Jeannie, I’d give up immortality to be with her. I’d die for her in a heartbeat if it meant I could be with her.”

Jean stared at the girl who watched and listened, shock in her dark eyes, eyes that swam in tears at the words coming from the man nursing another beer. “I think if you were to ask her, she’d rather you be alive. Well, I’ve got some tests to run so if you’ll excuse me. Thanks for the beer Logan.”

“Whatever, I’m goin’ for a run.”

Jean watched him run into the darkness, his steps sure, without a hint of uncertainty. Turning she raised an eyebrow, “Well?”

*What about Scott? He ain’t gonna like it too much.*

*Leave Scott to me. Make sure Bobby’s out of the picture, then go get your man.*

*Thank you.*

Jean shrugged and grinned, “What are friends for, if not to help you get what you want?” Gathering the empties she carried them inside. She’d need to figure something out to keep Scott occupied for a few days until he came to terms with the new relationship. After all, she didn’t expect anyone to settle for something they didn’t want…especially not her friends.
This story archived at http://wolverineandrogue.com/wrfa/viewstory.php?sid=1833