The Frankenstein Effect by Shadowlady
Summary: The X-men have created a monster they can’t defeat.
Categories: AU Characters: None
Genres: Angst, Dark
Tags: None
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 78 Completed: Yes Word count: 120868 Read: 1141501 Published: 01/02/2007 Updated: 06/19/2008

1. Chapter 1 by Shadowlady

2. Chapter 2 by Shadowlady

3. Chapter 3 by Shadowlady

4. Chapter 4 by Shadowlady

5. Chapter 5 by Shadowlady

6. Chapter 6 by Shadowlady

7. Chapter 7 by Shadowlady

8. Chapter 8 by Shadowlady

9. Chapter 9 by Shadowlady

10. Chapter 10 by Shadowlady

11. Chapter 11 by Shadowlady

12. Chapter 12 by Shadowlady

13. Chapter 13 by Shadowlady

14. Chapter 14 by Shadowlady

15. Chapter 15 by Shadowlady

16. Chapter 16 by Shadowlady

17. Chapter 17 by Shadowlady

18. Chapter 18 by Shadowlady

19. Chapter 19 by Shadowlady

20. Chapter 20 by Shadowlady

21. Chapter 21 by Shadowlady

22. Chapter 22 by Shadowlady

23. Chapter 23 by Shadowlady

24. Chapter 24 by Shadowlady

25. Chapter 25 by Shadowlady

26. Chapter 26 by Shadowlady

27. Chapter 27 by Shadowlady

28. Chapter 28 by Shadowlady

29. Chapter 29 by Shadowlady

30. Chapter 30 by Shadowlady

31. Chapter 31 by Shadowlady

32. Chapter 32 by Shadowlady

33. Chapter 33 by Shadowlady

34. Chapter 34 by Shadowlady

35. Chapter 35 by Shadowlady

36. Chapter 36 by Shadowlady

37. Chapter 37 by Shadowlady

38. Chapter 38 by Shadowlady

39. Chapter 39 by Shadowlady

40. Chapter 40 by Shadowlady

41. Chapter 41 by Shadowlady

42. Chapter 42 by Shadowlady

43. Chapter 43 by Shadowlady

44. Chapter 44 by Shadowlady

45. Chapter 45 by Shadowlady

46. Chapter 46 by Shadowlady

47. Chapter 47 by Shadowlady

48. Chapter 48 by Shadowlady

49. Chapter 49 by Shadowlady

50. Chapter 50 by Shadowlady

51. Chapter 51 by Shadowlady

52. Chapter 52 by Shadowlady

53. Chapter 53 by Shadowlady

54. Chapter 54 by Shadowlady

55. Chapter 55 by Shadowlady

56. Chapter 56 by Shadowlady

57. Chapter 57 by Shadowlady

58. Chapter 58 by Shadowlady

59. Chapter 59 by Shadowlady

60. Chapter 60 by Shadowlady

61. Chapter 61 by Shadowlady

62. Chapter 62 by Shadowlady

63. Chapter 63 by Shadowlady

64. Chapter 64 by Shadowlady

65. Chapter 65 by Shadowlady

66. Chapter 66 by Shadowlady

67. Chapter 67 by Shadowlady

68. Chapter 68 by Shadowlady

69. Chapter 69 by Shadowlady

70. Chapter 70 by Shadowlady

71. Chapter 71 by Shadowlady

72. Chapter 72 by Shadowlady

73. Chapter 73 by Shadowlady

74. Chapter 74 by Shadowlady

75. Chapter 75 by Shadowlady

76. Chapter 76 by Shadowlady

77. Chapter 77 by Shadowlady

78. Epilogue by Shadowlady

Chapter 1 by Shadowlady
The Frankenstein Effect
Shadowlady
robbijo2000 at yahoo dot com
R
Drama/Dark
Archive: Yes please, pretty please.
Summary: The X-men have created a monster they can’t defeat.
Continuity: Post X3

Chapter One


The cold impersonal grey of the walls surrounding Rogue did little to block the sound of screams penetrating the darkness. Curling tighter around herself Rogue shivered, praying for a merciful and quick death even as she realized it would probably be a long, drawn out, and painful experience.

In the few days that those on the Junior team had been locked within this prison, she’d experienced the brutality of guards who cared nothing about their prisoners of war. Instead she had routinely been beaten, electrocuted, stabbed, and hosed down with some noxious smelling substances.

Still, Rogue knew she was lucky. She’d heard Kitty’s screams every night, and heard Jubilee begging for death in her mother’s tongue and knew without a doubt what it was that was happening to the young woman. It was a fate she knew she’d been blessed not to have, a perk to having toxic skin. The guards had believed her when she said nothing – not even latex could prevent contact.

“Please God, let us get out of here,” she whispered sobbing slightly as her cell door opened and a guard stepped in followed by another, and yet another. Swallowing harshly against the rising bile in her throat Rogue watched as they flanked out, their prods in plain view even as a young, pretty blonde in a white lab coat filled the doorway.

“Since I know your skin is highly toxic, I’ve layered up. Hold still and maybe this won’t hurt so much,” the woman snickered as two men grabbed Rogue and held her steady while the woman approached and jabbed a needle into her hip.

A moment later Rogue lay heaving on the floor, her body wracked by icy chills, and an acidic, almost metallic flavor coated her mouth. Choking and spitting Rogue absently wondered why she couldn’t hear Kitty’s screams any longer.

Lost in the daze of the drugs within her system, Rogue lost track of time. Instead her life became a sadistic ritual of beatings, drugs, and experiments. Somehow the knowledge that they’d managed to manipulate her own body so that they could insert ‘moderations’ into it barely disturbed her. Instead she spent hours giggling to herself as she stared at the surgical scars that crisscrossed her hands. Now she had something else in common with Logan.


Rocking back and forth and mumbling indistinguishably Rogue glanced up sharply at the sound of boots on the hard concrete. With an indifferent shrug she went back to her rocking, her voice scratchy and unwilling to work properly as she hummed along with the voices in her head.

The sudden blinding light that crashed out over her cell floor and into her eyes had her hissing a warning even as she glanced up. It wasn’t time for her nightly beating, and the woman with the needle had long since gone, although perhaps it was time for her ‘shower’ she thought before shrugging indifferently and hissing another warning – ready to fight just on principle.

“Boss, another one’s here. Looks young, probably no more than twenty five, and female.”

“Any obvious signs of abuse?”

“Bruises, scars, fresh cuts,” the man ground out with an angry shrug, “Seems to me she’s been worked over pretty well.”

Stepping into the cell a dark haired woman with long, flowing curls eyed Rogue as she sat hissing and growling at them. “Find me the records for this cell.”

With a quick nod the man moved off, silently, obediently. As soon as he was gone Rogue snapped at the woman and retreated away from the light. The sound of leather creaking as it was moved did little to disturb Rogue’s growls, rather it was muted out by them.

“Poor thing,” the woman hunkered down on her heels, “Well it’s time to step out of the darkness kid, I’m gonna take you home.”

With furious growl Rogue shook her head and backed ever further away, “Not allowed.”

With a familiar looking expression in place, the woman rose to her full height and glanced behind her, “What’s the verdict?”

“No indication of sexual abuse,” the man said holding a chart. “But they’ve got her pumped full of something called Diacoderine.”

“What the hell is that?” the low snarl held fury and curiosity.

“A mind control drug. Looks like they’ve also done a few implants, and tried tweaking her mutation a little.”

“What’s the mutation?”

“Lethal skin. The other two girls were a lot luckier than this one.”

“If you call being repeatedly raped lucky,” the woman snapped before jerking her long duster off, “Wrap her in this and bring her. Sedate her if you have to.”

A moment later, a quick, nearly painless prick of a needle, and Rogue was tossed over a leather clad shoulder. Her last vaguely clear thought was that at least Jubilee and Kitty were being transferred as well as she sat them hustling behind her ‘captor’ as they moved through the hallways.






Sitting at the heavy, scarred wooden desk she called her own Helen Creed stared at the darkness, her mind tangled around what she’d witnessed again. In a move as old as time itself she’d done what needed doing and following the intel from one of her ‘employees’ she’d raided a nearby lab.

The few mutants that were being held there were all in bad shape, most having suffered sexual abuse for as long as they’d been there, others were treated like lab rats and had endured endless ‘improvements’ at the hands of the military.

The trio of girls that had been on the lowest level had endured some of the worst, some of the most horrific treatment. Tank had indicated that one of the girls had been so badly used and abused that there was a better than ninety percent chance that the girl would never be able to have sex again – something that right now the girl showed no remorse over. The other had lost an eye, part of one nipple when what appeared to have been a ring had been jerked out, and had scars that ran up both legs from the knees.

The third however was by far the worst case of drug abuse she’d ever seen. The poor girl was so dependent upon the drugs, so used to a daily injection that Tank had been giving her shots of painkillers and placebos just to keep her quiet. The scars that littered her body were surgical, not sadism, a tell-tale mark of the ‘improvements’ that the military had thought to give her.

The file had been a rather interesting, if infuriating read and Helen glanced at it on her desk, open where she’d left it. Closing her eyes she could still see the blank look in the girl’s eyes, smell the desperation of a mind being eaten alive by its own insanity as a means of escape. Oh no, if she had her way she’d make them all pay, make them all regret taking the innocence and youth from so many just like they’d done to her second youngest son.

Turning from where she sat she glanced up onto the mantel to a framed painting that had been in her possession as long as she could recall. It had been a portrait that she treasured, the only outward sign of a life cut short – with a hint of a grin she nodded her head at it, “Well old man looks like we’re doing some good now. If only we could keep things going like this,” she spoke softly, lovingly to the image of a husband long dead.

“Hey Momma,” the soft, sultry tone had her turning to her office door to smile at a small, dark haired, brown eyed young man.

“Yes Edward?”

“Uh that girl with the streaks is sorta awake. She seems to be coming out of the drugs.”

“Thank you,” rising Helen moved quickly toward the door. Pausing only long enough to ruffle the young man’s hair in an affectionate grandmotherly gesture she strode purposely down the hallway to the medical ward.

Slipping into the room she paused, the sound of sobs loud in her ears, “What’s going on Tank?”

“Streaks has started to come down from the drugs,” he pointed to the bed where the young woman lay sobbing. “She’s experiencing withdrawals.”

“Can you make her more comfortable?”

“No, she keeps sobbing, and muttering but I can’t understand what she wants.”

“Any idea on what you can do to make her comfortable without pumping her full of drugs? Something more that you could do with the placebo perhaps?”

“Give her a hit of your blood might work. It’ll help offset the side effects but since I know you don’t..”

Raising a hand Helen moved toward the bed a slight frown crossing her face at the softly murmured word escaping the girl’s control.

“Logan, Logan, Logan.”

Biting her lip, Helen moved closer to the girl until she was standing next to the bed. Leaning over until she was a hair’s breath away from her she sighed, “Where is he kid? Tell me.”

“Logan,” the girl whispered sadly, her voice thick with tears, “Just want Logan. You aren’t real.”

Smiling sadly Helen shook her head, “I am real. Tell me where he is kid and I’ll get him.”

Eyes too old to be in such a young face turned to face her and she swallowed at the bitterness and the agony within them. “I won’t tell you where he is. I won’t let you hurt him again. You can do whatever you want to me, but you’re never gonna hurt him again.”

Nodding Helen stood up and patted her arm where it lay under the blanket. Turning to the tall, broad chested man staring at them she smiled softly, “Find where the girls came from. Inform me at once of anything you find.”

Tank merely nodded and watched the older woman disappear out the door. As she did many of the days spent in the under ground prison she called home, she was dressed in jeans, sweater, boots, only those who knew her well could see the telltale signs of the many years she’d lived, the careful steps of someone who’d walked in the shoes of more than one class of people.

The slight graying at her temples, the lines about her eyes and mouth, the infrequent frailties that came with age, the often spoken word or phrase that spoke of another time, and another place were all indications of a life that had been long and hard. Still she moved with the grace, and stealth her mutation had endowed her with. Now was one of those times, the proud stance hid the crushing weight of loss within her soul from all who eyed it.

Shaking his head Tank turned back to his patient before slipping from the ward and heading down the hallway to where two other young women, scarred and battle weary sat clinging to each other for strength and for understanding.

Entering the room he noticed the way they both tensed and moved away from him, their gazes distrustful and angry. The one called Shadowcat glared openly at him, her face marred by several long, jagged fresh scars that raced from her temple to her jaw, her hair shorn off leaving scabs where the shears had cut too deeply. The other a slim, likewise scarred Eurasian girl sat eying him coldly with the one good eye she still possessed as he closed the door and moved to sit in a chair.

“Morning girls,” not getting a response he sighed softly, “Your friend is doing much better. I think she’ll be up and moving around within a few days.”

“Yeah? So? You think we owe you or something?” the Eurasian demanded weakly, her voice hoarse and over used, the red, harsh looking burns around her throat a clear indication of strangulation.

“No,” Tank shook his head, “The uh, the therapist will be here this afternoon. You can talk to her then if you like.”

Both girls shook their heads even as Tank shifted on his chair, “I know it’s hard to have to deal with it. Personally I think you’re very brave for surviving hell.”

A soft snort of disbelief was the only response.

“Uh is there someone we can contact? Someone who would be able to help you?”

“Why? If you want something why not just take it like the others did?” the soft spoken girl hissed, rage and fear warring in her gaze as it darted to him then away.

Rising Tank moved to the counter and began fussing with the plastic dishes and spoons sitting there, “If I wanted to take from you, I could do it and your mutations wouldn’t have any affect on me. I have no ulterior motives my dear, just concern for your well being.”

“Bullshit.”

Nodding Tank turned to face them, “Whose Logan?”

The shock and fear that crossed their faces had him wondering who the girls were so loyal to even as the Eurasian rose and walked toward him. Tensing slightly as she neared him he refused to budge, instead meeting her eye for eye, “Logan is someone who is going to kick your ass for hurting any one of us. Then he’ll shred this place and everyone he finds for what you’ve done to Rogue. You think we’re stupid, think because you’re letting us stay together in this room that we don’t know what you’re doing to Rogue? Get real you son of a bitch, we’re far from stupid.”

Nodding Tank eyed her carefully, “And just to be clear, what exactly am I doing to Rogue?”

“Exactly the same thing your friends did to us,” the girl snarled, “Now that you think you’ve found a way around her skin. We aren’t deaf, we heard what you were saying, talking about the adjustments and how they’d probably affect her skin. Only thing is now you’re gonna have to deal with someone who’s gonna make you all very, very sorry…before you die.”

Tank shook his sadly, “I see we’ve a lot of work ahead of us. I’ll leave you two to settle down, allow you time to regroup. If you need anything don’t hesitate to ask, there’s an intercom on the wall there, or you can find me two doors down in my office.”

Closing the door softly behind him Tank clenched his hands into fists and felt the fury that rumbled through him. Seeing the fluttering of the muscles in his forearms he sucked in a breath, forcing himself to calm down. There was no point, and no profit in tearing the hallway apart – not when there were humans out there that would suffice.

“Tonight,” he muttered before turning and heading for his office. He would work on his paperwork, update all the medical records until the therapist they’d hired for the girls arrived then he’d introduce them and leave the trio to work out their healing process.



“Afternoon Tank,” the soft, sultry voice, thick with a Scottish accent had the big man glancing up from his work to smile at the slim woman who stood in his doorway her arms crossed over her chest.

“Afternoon Rebecca, how are you? Did you need me to introduce you to your new patients?” Tank started to rise only to sink back into his seat at an upraised hand.

“I think you should tell me what happened to them before I walk into the room and start a therapy routine that may not work,” the tiny woman declared.

Nodding Tank leaned back in his chair, “Sexual mutilation, gang rape, foreign object penetration, from what I’ve been able to glean from them, and from what scarring there is a good likely hood that its not all vaginal, there may be sodomy. On top of that they’re both defensive, prone to sudden bouts of aggression followed quickly by depression.”

Nodding Rebecca sighed, “I’ve got my work cut out for me then. Is it a group therapy or..”

“Whatever you feel is better, if you’d like to speak to each of them separately; there is a small office you can use. You know where it is.”

“This is bad isn’t it Tank?”

“One of the worst cases I’ve ever seen in all honesty. Both girls are relying on the other for strength, and the third girl has become so addicted to the drugs they routinely pumped into her that she’s almost catatonic for the most part. When she does speak its mutters of names, of places, of things that make no sense with bouts of manic laughter thrown into the mix.”

“What did they do to her?”

“That’s the scary part,” Tank rose and began to pace, “I’m afraid for her ‘Becca, really truly afraid. She’s young, she’s got so much to live for and I can see it in Helen’s eyes that there’s something there I don’t know, I don’t understand. It’s almost like Helen’s waiting and watching to make sure that Streaks pulls through.”

“Helen’s like that with all the cases that come in here.”

“She’s not seeing a young woman on that bed ‘Becca, I don’t know what she sees but it isn’t a young woman scarred by the military’s love of experimentation.”

“Have you ever asked her?”

“No. I don’t know if I’m more afraid of the answer than the action.”

Rebecca nodded and shifted, “I’ll go see my newest clients.”

Tank nodded quickly and watched the therapeutic doctor disappear down the hallway. He only hoped that there was something that could be done, something that could reverse the destruction of three young lives.
Chapter 2 by Shadowlady
From where she sat Helen watched Tank interacting with Jubilee and Kitty. Both girls had learned in the weeks at the facility that he was a man to be trusted, that he would protect them with every ounce of strength and fiber in his body – a lesson that she knew had been both painful and hard fought.

Despite his impressive size and the rather dangerous skills he had both in the medical and fighting sense he’d never once tried to defend himself when either of the girls was scared and reacted physically, instead he’d tried to calm them, to let them deal with the pain and the torment that his presence brought out in their minds however they saw fit.

The first time he’d tried physiotherapy with Kitty Jubilee had nearly tried to kill him. She’d attacked him, launching blows and biting and kicking at him while Kitty had scrambled into the corner, curling into a ball and scrubbing at her ankle where she’d been touched.

Tank had merely pulled Jubilee in against his chest and rocked her while she struggled until her screams of anger had turned to sobs and her sobs had turned into whimpers and broken hiccups as the fight had left her. The sight of a man weighing in at nearly four hundred pounds and a good two feet taller than the slim Eurasian girl sitting on the floor while she clung to him sobbing, tears running down his own face should have been cause for teasing, for some torment from his peers but it wasn’t, instead the staff had been unable to meet anyone’s eyes for a few minutes before they all disappeared, retreating to their own duties.

It had taken long hours, and a lot of work for the girls to trust him enough to allow his touch. Endless days of casual touches, soft brushes of a hand on the arm, reaching behind one and grabbing something that was set aside and rarely if ever used, a quick, brotherly hug – all gave them the impression that he wasn’t interested in hurting their minds or their bodies, instead he was asking for permission to touch, to be granted access to their personal space.

Shifting on the stone wall that ran around the indoor garden she tended routinely, she watched Kitty smile shyly at Tank who was doing the daily round of physical therapy activities with her. The way the big man’s hands were wrapped around the slim girl’s ankles at one time would have sent warning bells ringing throughout those in the area; now though all it did was encourage a sense of security and well being.

Helen did of course recognize that Tank had in no way attempted to touch either in a way that was too intimate, too personal. Small, casual touches that had eased the girls into feeling secure enough to allow him to help their bodies heal along with their minds had been carried over from the early sessions to their trips out of the medical area and into their private rooms, into their lives that had come to encompass all of the house they now called home.

“They seem to be recovering quite well,” the soft, slightly accented voice had Helen smiling as she glanced up into the green eyes of the therapist.

“Both bonnie lasses are doin’ well Rebecca,” Helen teased, using the hint of Scottish accent she still possessed despite having left Scotland so many years before.

“Indeed,” settling next to her boss Rebecca shrugged, “I haven’t been able to make any progress with Streaks yet. She refuses to talk, just stares at her hands and giggles.”

“I don’t expect that you will. I’ve been hoping she’d confide in me but to no avail. Perhaps you could just focus on the other two. They’re survival and healing is more likely to come before Streaks.”

“You’re not giving up on her are you? That doesn’t seem like you?”

“No, no I’m not giving up on her. I’ve got something in mind to help her and you’re not it.”

“What has she said to you?” Rebecca asked softly.

“She talks in riddles most of the time,” Helen allowed refusing to speak the name of her son refusing to give some credence to the old ghosts that haunted her. She would give the girl her mind back or die trying and Rebecca couldn’t help her with that.

“Any indication of how long they were prisoners?” Rebecca asked changing the subject realizing that she wouldn’t get anymore of an answer than she’d already received the numerous other times she’d asked.

“From what I’ve been able to glean from the records and from what Jubilation and Katherine have said months. Close to a year.”

“And no one came to look for them? No missing person’s files were ever started? I find that hard to believe. I mean they’re kids, they’re..”

“Babies who were sent to do a woman’s job?” Helen asked softly as she glanced at her. “I know. When I find out who sent them to do whatever it was that landed them in the hands of the military I’m gonna rip them apart slowly, painfully. I’m gonna give them a taste of the hell these girls endured!”

The low, furious snarl held more than just violence, it held a thread of promise, a thread of steel and Rebecca shivered, “Give ‘em one for me,” she whispered softly before shifting, “I’m off. I’ve got a couple of other clients to see. You keep me pretty damn busy.”

Helen didn’t glance up, nor did she turn. “I apologize for that.”

“Don’t,” Rebecca spoke quickly, “It isn’t you that treats these people like objects. You don’t rape and torture them… you save them. We have to save those we can.”

With a nod of understanding Helen listened to the woman’s fading footsteps. She knew that she couldn’t save all of them, knew that some were simply too weak to heal and it was for those that she had vowed to fight.

With a final glance at the two girls and Tank who were laughing softly and doing some mini wrestling moves Helen headed for the one room that held the most mystery and the most desperation.

Slipping inside she glanced at the young woman checking the monitors and smiled as the woman nodded and slid silently from the room. Locking the door Helen moved to her customary position, a tall backed chair across from the girl who lay staring at the ceiling unemotionally.

“Hey Streaks, how’s it going today?” she whispered softly, somehow knowing the girl could hear her. “Your friends are doing well.”

Silence greeted her and she shifted, “sooner or later you’ll have to break down and talk to me. Silence may be golden but it gets old.”

“…”

“I think Katherine’s found a friend in Tank, she seems to enjoy their sessions a lot more,” Helen spoke softly, noting the flash of fury in the dark gaze but getting no verbal response. “Neither has said yet where you came from so I have to guess. I mean it would be easier for all concerned to return you back to wherever you called home if I knew where it was..”

“No!” the word was soft, rough, and filled with honest terror.

“Well you don’t seem to like it here,” Helen rose and padded over to the bed to stare down at the girl. “Or are you just too damn scared to take the chance?”

The look of fury held her gaze, not backing down, but Helen noticed the tears, notice the smell of pain, the stench of something that stank...something akin to betrayal. Smiling softly, understandingly, Helen took the girl’s hand, “Whether you believe it or not I am your friend.”

A slow, disbelieving shake of the head and a dark look before a single tear trailed down the girl’s cheek. “Your friends call you Rogue, but it doesn’t seem to fit you right now. You seem to be hiding within your own mind… why?”

Helen nodded and patted the hand she held before moving to get another blanket, “You know I understand the need to keep silent, the need to hide the truth. Life can be a bitch, and there are days when you don’t get a chance to have what you want, what you need, and its easier to just shut yourself off from the hope. The only problem is, when you do that sometimes you shut yourself off from those who would help you.”

“I remember what it felt like to love someone so strongly, so powerfully that you were willing to take their secrets to the grave… but he didn’t want that. He wanted me to live, wanted to raise our children, to have what he knew he couldn’t give me. In the end I couldn’t protect him anymore than he could protect me from the pain of loss. Give me a chance Rogue, let me in a little. Let me help you protect him,” Helen whispered softly tucking the girl in and starting for the door.

“You’re lying.”

Helen smiled slightly before wiping the expression from her face and turning to look at the young woman, “Am I? Guess you’ll never know as long as you keep hiding.”

Opening the door she slipped out into the hallway and headed for her office. She had something to do, something to find out.
Chapter 3 by Shadowlady
Chapter 3

The Frankenstein Effect
Shadowlady
robbijo2000 at yahoo dot com
R
Drama/Dark
Archive: Yes please, pretty please.
Summary: The X-men have created a monster they can’t defeat.
Continuity: Post X3



“And what the fuck were you thinking?” the low, lethal tone had everyone shifting uneasily as they stared at the man currently glaring at Charles Xavier like he was looking to skewer him – something they all thought a very distinct possibility.

“It was a simple pick up,” Charles started. “One we knew would take a few weeks before the girls would be able to build a connection with the young man. They had to earn his trust since he’s been on the street so long is so distrustful.”

“You ain’t listening Chuck, what the fuck were you thinking? You knew it was gonna take weeks, knew the area was a hot house for mutant collectors and yet you still sent them in? You lose what little mind you did have or something?”

Swallowing slightly Charles wondered just how collected Logan was as he stared at him, shifting he hid his fear as best he could, he wasn’t dealing with Logan the man he was looking at Wolverine and that meant a whole new ballgame with new rules, “It was a simple mission Logan. They should have been able to perform it perfectly before returning with the target. Its merely taking longer for them to return then anticipated.”

“Thirteen months is a long fuckin’ way from a few weeks,” Logan snarled his claws coming out. “You better pinpoint one of ‘em, and get me directions or you and your band of merry little freaks are gonna be suckin’ up their dinners through a straw – or wishing I was that easy on ‘em,” Logan snarled whipping around, slashing three deep gouges into the old cherry wood desk as he headed for the door. “You got two hours old man, don’t waste it.”

“Logan you have to understand this wasn’t planned, we didn’t…” Jean started only to swallow painfully as Logan altered his course and moved into her personal space.

“This wasn’t planned? You sent three girls out there to do a job better suited to one person… one trained professional.”

“The risks were weighed Logan, we had to do something and they were acceptable to us,” Jean replied firmly, a tremble barely noticeable in her body.

“Yeah,” with the sickening screech of metal grating on metal Jean jumped, one hand flying to her face where a fresh, nasty wound now decorated her cheek, “I weighed the risks bitch, and it was acceptable. Two hours old man, or I’m gonna be back and start carving up your precious little team!”

The slam of the door echoed in the room as the pictures wiggled from the force of Logan’s rage.

“That went well,” Jean sighed softly as she glanced at Charles, “You haven’t located them in..”

“Since a week after they got there,” Charles admitted quietly, “It’s been too long.”

“It was a high risk mission and yet you still authorized them to go,” Scott pointed out calmly. “Didn’t think Logan was coming back or what?”

“It was a simple matter of a delayed pick up Scott,” Charles said firmly.

“Yeah? Now we have to deal with Logan in his full on protective mode. I’m not getting skewered because you lost them. Frankly, I’m on Logan’s side on this,” Rising Scott glanced between his wife and his mentor, “They weren’t fully trained, nor were they prepared for this sort of mission and I made that clear before you guys vetoed me and sent them. Now if you don’t mind, I’m gonna go and see if I can calm Logan down enough that he doesn’t aerate the entire student population!”

Watching him go Charles sighed, it was true. Scott hadn’t approved of sending Rogue, Jubilation, and Shadowcat on this mission – at least alone but Charles knew it was necessary. Glancing up at his protégé he sighed, ~We may have underestimated Logan again Jean.~

~We didn’t think he would come back for her,~ Jean replied softly, seriously, ~We had no way of knowing this would happen.~

“I’ll go see if I can locate them again,” Charles said moving for the door, “Try to avoid Logan as much as possible.”

With muted sounds of agreement the team disbanded, heading for points of the mansion that they knew Logan didn’t frequent.

Sharing a glance Charles and Jean tried to hide the rising fear; after all they’d both known the risks and still sent the girls. If they weren’t okay how would Logan react? Who would pay the price for their stupidity?




Wrapped in the yards of black silk that weighed heavy upon her shoulders Helen moved through the darkness toward the kitchen, intent on a late night snack. Silently debating whether to have a large piece of the chocolate cake or another round of shortbread cookies she smiled to herself.

Pausing at a faint sound coming from the kitchen she hurried her steps and entered the room silently, her hands free of the fabric in case she needed to extend her claws. Stopping as she realized the fridge door was open and Streaks stood albeit weakly leaning against it she hid a smile, “We usually allow people in the sickbay to have someone bring them a plate.”

The slight shrug was the only response as a bony, scarred hand set a plate with some roast beef on it atop the counter. The meat was quickly followed by a block of cheese, some lettuce, the makings of a sandwich and Helen smirked as she leaned against the doorjamb.

Watching in silence as the girl made herself something to eat Helen reached into the nearest cupboard and pulled out a couple of glasses. Filling both with milk she set one next to Streaks plate and grabbed the slice of cake she had decided upon.

“So you must be feeling better to be up,” Helen declared after sucking the icing off the fork tines.

“No more hiding,” the girl whispered. “I need to be strong, need to protect him.”

Helen nodded, “Logan would welcome that I think.”

The flash of fury and doubt in the girl’s eyes had Helen chuckling, “I know Logan. I’ve known him longer than you have.”

“Don’t care. No more hurting him,” Rogue hissed angrily, despising the weakness within her body. “Where’s my friends?”

“Your friends are in their beds, sleeping probably. It’s nearly two in the morning Streaks, they’ve been busy.”

“I’ll bet,” Rogue snarled angrily. “Soon I’ll be strong enough and you won’t be able…”

“They’re healing Streaks, this isn’t a lab.”

The softly spoken words halted Rogue’s tirade as she glanced into warm, understanding hazel eyes that met hers without flinching, “He’ll never want me now,” she whispered looking down at her hands, memories of what lay under the skin still vivid within her mind as her dark eyes traced over the scars.

“You sound certain of that,” Helen replied. “Tell me about him. Tell me about you and him.”

Rogue shrugged, for some reason this woman wanted her to relax, wanted her to put her faith in her and she wasn’t too sure she could do that. Could she lower her guard enough to allow herself the reveal him? Glancing up into eyes that reminded her of a man she loved beyond reason she shrugged to herself, she had no choice really – besides that this woman made her feel at ease, not as much as Logan did but enough so that she didn’t want to kill her.

“I met him when I was sixteen,” Rogue started softly, “In a little dive in Alberta. Logan was fighting in a cage, winning to…”

The chime of the grandfather clock down the hall barely penetrated the soft conversation in the kitchen as it marked the early hour. The window above the kitchen sink began to reveal the pale glow of early dawn, and the soft sounds of life began filtering through out the only floor above ground, yet neither Helen nor Rogue moved.

“He promised me,” Rogue whispered glancing up tearfully, “He said he’d be back for them and..”

“And he came back,” Helen nodded slowly, reaching over to wrap a silk encased hand around the young woman’s. “Logan isn’t one for promises, if you’ve seen his mind you know this and yet he made one to you and he kept it. That in itself was sign that he doesn’t see you as just another bed warmer. He sees something in you that no one could possibly take away from him. Even when he was younger, when he was little Logan wasn’t one for flowery speeches and promises that couldn’t be kept. He promised to take care of you and that is what he will do… even if killed him, but it won’t. He won’t let death cheat him of you so easily.”

“I’ve got a long way to go don’t I?”

“Miles but you know, you aren’t alone anymore, you’ve got friends here, you’ve got all the help you need and then some. Let us help you.”

“How’s Kitty and Jubes?” Rogue whispered painfully. “I can remember hearing them screaming and crying, and begging.”

“They weren’t okay when they got here. They had it pretty rough; those places aren’t easy on those of us who are different. They’re doing okay now though, they’re leaning on each other, and both of them are leaning on Tank.”

“Why did you do this? Why help us?”

Helen shifted and glanced up and out the window as she tried to organize her thoughts, “Because I can relate to you. Because we’re…. we’re not monsters Streaks, we’re no better, no worse than the humans – but we have to show them that we aren’t going to let them drive us into extinction, turn us into weapons, into mindless killing machines for their causes.”

Rogue stared at her for a moment catching the hint of something within the woman’s eyes, something that told of a memory a little too close to home, “We just want to live.”

Helen nodded, “Come on, it’s time you were back in bed. You’re still recovering and being up all night your body’s probably about to protest big time. I’ll help you..”

“Do I have to go back to the sickbay? Couldn’t I like sleep on a couch or something?”

“Sickbay for now. You’re still dealing with traces of the drugs they pumped into you and it’s the safest place for you,” Helen said wrapping a strong arm around the girl’s waist, “A few more days and you can have your own room.”

Rogue nodded tiredly as they shuffled out of the kitchen. Staring at her feet even when she heard someone coming she flushed and ducked her head, embarrassment racing through her.

“Good morning Mrs. Creed,” the soft, lilting voice drew a murmured response but no other indication of any delay in their movements.

“Mrs. Creed?” Rogue whispered softly, “Not related to Victor are you?”

Laughing softly Helen shook her head, “I was married to a Creed years ago, and Victor is a distant relative.”

“How distant?”

“He’s the son of my great, great, great, great, grandnephew.”

“Wow that is distant.”

Chuckling Helen guided Streaks back along the corridor and into elevator before pushing the buttons and letting the soft glide of well oiled mechanics fall through her mind, “Was never distant enough for Logan though. He’s always hated that over-grown, mangy rat.”

“I can understand why,” Rogue replied as she inched toward her hospital bed glad to be able to get off her feet, for some reason this flurry of activity had really worn her out. Once she was tucked back into bed, she sighed, her eyes already drifting closed, “Thank you.”

Helen paused at the door and glanced at the girl who lay dozing in the bed, “You are very welcome…Rogue.”

The soft smile on the girl’s face stuck with Helen as she slipped from the room and closed the door. Leaning on the wall for a moment she exhaled, she needed time but Rogue would be okay.
Chapter 4 by Shadowlady
Chapter 4

The Frankenstein Effect
Shadowlady
robbijo2000 at yahoo dot com
R
Drama/Dark
Archive: Yes please, pretty please.
Summary: The X-men have created a monster they can’t defeat.
Continuity: Post X3


The days drifted together, falling in rapid succession to the hands of time until weeks had flown into months and yet like some unknown tension, some dark spot of secrecy clung to Jubilee, Kitty, and Rogue.

They worked together, they laughed, they lived but there were shadows in eyes too old for their young frames, screams in the night from remembered horrors that fed an already bubbling rage.

Turning their nightmare over in their minds the girls sat in the warm summer sunlight and stared out over the grass. Their gazes locked on the herd of horses grazing a few feet away, their minds on other things, on memories that had lain dormant too long.

“We need to face them,” Kitty whispered softly, “Need to know why.”

“That’s easy,” the cynicism in Rogue’s voice was plain, “We were expendable.”

“Still, they have to explain, to apologize,” Jubilee rose and walked to the fence, leaning on it as a tall, handsome bay approached her. Petting the older mare she sighed and leaned her forehead on the sun warmed coat, “We shouldn’t have gone, and they shouldn’t have let us.”

“They did what they thought they had to so they could protect that boy,” Kitty stated eying Jubilee, “Putting him above us.”

“I wish Logan were here,” Rogue whispered softly, “Wish he could help us train. He’d teach us how to kick their asses.”

“Rogue, you’re showing your thirst for blood,” Jubilee grinned at her friend, careful to keep her hair over the eye that a soldier’s blade had blinded.

Rogue stared at her friend before glancing at Kitty, “Expendable or not we have a right to be free. It’s our choice, our bodies, our minds, Logan understood that. He’d understand us needing..”

“There you three are,” the soft timbre had the trio turning to eye the large man walking toward them carrying something in one hand. “Jubilation if you’ve a moment I’ve got something for you.”

“Hey Tank, sure whatcha got,” the sass was back in her voice, shaded with anger and pain but back nonetheless.

“It’s a optic piece,” Tank held it up and moved closer to Jubilee, “You wear it over your bad eye, replaces the dead optic nerves and such. It’ll give you inferred vision in your eye, and while its not..”

“Thank you,” Jubilee interrupted turning her head, her good eye closed. “I can see again and that’s the most important thing to me.”

“Just sorry I couldn’t repair your..”

With a slight smile Jubilee shrugged, “It’s a reminder.”

“Of what?” Tank frowned at the shared look the three women shared.

“Of what expendable means.”

“Bullshit!” Tank snarled, “You ain’t expendable so get that shit outta your head now!”

“We were,” Kitty pointed out softly her gaze steady.

Tank glanced at her then at Rogue and Jubilee, agreement ran in all three faces, pain, and acceptance as well. Shaking his head he swore and glanced at the horses before focusing on the trio again, “Maybe to them. Not to us, not to me. I’d fight anyone who said such a thing about you. Nobody and I mean nobody has the right to sit back and pass judgment on anyone of the three of you. You’re stronger than ten men, you’ve survived hell and came out of it without letting it destroy you. You show me one man, one of them that could do that and I’ll shake his hand.”

“Logan could, Logan has,” Rogue pointed out.

“Logan’s a Creed,” Tank snapped and shook his head, “He’s got his Momma’s backbone. Logan’s what a man is supposed to be, not some pansy assed sonofabitch who ain’t got nothing figured out about life.”

“But you’d change us,” Jubilee said. “You offered to get someone to take away our scars, to heal us completely..”

“For you. Not for me,” Tank replied seriously as he cupped her jaw, “To me you’re as beautiful as Goddess, as Rebecca, as Helen. Scars don’t matter.”

“But you said it would help us heal, help us forget,” Rogue stated calmly.

“It would have when I offered it. Now, it would be like covering them up with a mask, the world wouldn’t see them, but you would. Every time you looked in a mirror, every time you had a nightmare. I won’t do that to you.”

Watching him turn and head back toward the house Rogue swore, “Tank?”

“Yeah kid?”

“Would you help us train? Teach us to fight like Logan would?”

Tank sighed and eyed them, “I can’t. But I know someone who can, someone who’ll push your minds and bodies to the breaking point and beyond and make you into a true fighter, a true warrior.”

“When?”

“Tomorrow,” Tank said softly, his gaze darting from one face to the next, “First thing. I’ll call her now.”

“Thank you.”

Tank shrugged, “Don’t thank me yet, you’re gonna wish you’d never asked me before this is over.”

Long after he’d disappeared back inside they stood there huddled together, “Logan’ll come for us, for me.” Rogue whispered softly her fingers tracing over and invisible tag around her neck, “I don’t want to be weak for him.”

“None of us do,” Kitty said softly and looked at Rogue. “We learn to fight, and then we go back.”

Like a solemn vow the trio nodded together and grasped hands, they had something to fight for now and Charles Xavier would know it before they were through.
Chapter 5 by Shadowlady
Dawn found the girls sitting on the soft mats of the gym tiredly, their bodies leaning heavily together as they waited impatiently for whoever was supposed to help them train to be real warriors.

The creaking of the door had them sitting up sharply, the exhaustion fading from their eyes to be replaced by cold curiosity and uncertainty. The sound of boots on hard wood had them staring as a tall, blonde haired woman stepped into the room.

Her hair was cut short, more like a boy’s buzz cut than a woman’s stylish cut, her eyes were an ancient, hard grey, and her face bore a strange tattoo. The lines curved around her features, from her temple to her jaw and down under the top of her leotard.

“Morning ladies,” she said, her voice professional, elegant.

“Morning,” Rogue shifted noting the Logan in her head sitting up and assessing the newcomer. The soft growl told of approval, of some hint of recognition and she wondered if he’d fucked the woman at one point. The short, low, negative growl told her he hadn’t and she relaxed slightly.

“So you three want to learn to fight huh?” the woman asked sinking down onto the mat before them and stretching her legs out in front of her.

“Yes,” Kitty nodded quickly, her hand darting up to cover her scars, “We aren’t expendable.”

Nodding the woman pursed her lips slightly before sighing, “Alright. I’m Valkyry, Val for short. I’m also the one person whom you’re gonna hate for a very long time by the time we’re done. Any concerns, questions?”

“Uh Rogue’s skin..” Kitty pointed out with a sad, apologetic look at Rogue who merely shrugged and ducked her chin.

Val laughed softly, “Honey deadly skin is hardly a drawback in fighting. Now then if you’ve never been taught how to fight, we should get started now. Today we’re gonna take it easy, some simple movement exercises to stretch out those muscles, things that will help build strength then I’ll give you a daily regiment to follow. Tomorrow we’ll get started on the harder stuff. Agreed?”

Quickly nodding their agreement the girls followed Val’s lead and rose to their feet – knots forming in their stomachs as they realized that they’d agreed to this, that they were about to get a crash course in living and killing.



“How they doing Val?” Helen asked gently as she settled at the table next to her best friend and took the glass of whiskey offered her.

“Remarkably well actually,” Val replied glancing at the older woman before focusing on the trio of women currently racing around the yard with bags of grain on their shoulders. “Rogue shows a remarkable aptitude for my training, she’s gonna be a hard target to take out.”

Helen smiled, “She’s got Logan in her mind.”

“How’s he doing?”

“I don’t know. Haven’t seen him in years. Heard the military got him and it wasn’t pretty,” Helen shrugged, “Rogue tells me she met him a few years ago and he saved her life a few times. Promised to take care of her, to protect her.”

“Logan? Your Logan made a promise?” Val’s voice and expression revealed her shock and disbelief.

“Yep,” Helen smiled, “Took him long enough if you ask me.”

“I’ll say. So that explains Rogue’s aptitude for kicking ass. Katherine Pryde and Jubilation Lee seem to be advancing quickly as well. I’ve caught them sparring with Rogue a time or two as well.”

“They have more of a reason to want to fight then any of the other mutants here.”

“I can tell. Miss Lee seems to have adjusted to the optic piece quite well. She’s started using it extensively during training. She’s pushing her mind and body to rely on it as much as the other eye, becoming comfortable with its uses and limitations just like a real pro.”

“Glad to hear it. Any drawbacks you can see?”

“Miss Pryde should work a bit more on strengthening her left leg; it seems a hair’s breathe weaker than the rest of her.”

“I’ll take that into account. Any residual affects from their treatment at..”

Val shook her head and glanced at Helen, “They’re still haunted by it but they’re turning that into something to use. Miss Lee especially I’ve noticed is taking a great deal of pride in kicking the ass of anyone who makes an attempt to remind her of her treatment at the hands of those assholes.”

“They reveal where they were before the military got ‘em?”

“Not that I’ve heard,” Val grinned, “Aren’t you the one with superior hearing?”

“I’m not exactly the type to eavesdrop, besides that when I speak to them its more about the darker side of life. They’ve begun to question why them, why they were selected? Those women are beginning to ride that wave into the darkness, into the bitterness that will ultimately make them stronger or kill them.” Helen shrugged, “Besides, I’ve been thinking of Logan, wondering how he’s doing.”

“Ask Rogue, she might be willing to tell you.”

Watching as Val rose and stalked gracefully out of the room Helen nodded to herself. Rogue would help her with any luck. After all the girl had more than a vested interested in Logan, and sometimes when you had love you were a little more determined to keep it safe!




The soft crunch of gravel beneath heavy steps had Rogue, Kitty, and Jubilee glancing up to see Helen walking toward them. “Wonder what’s up?” Jubilee mused as the older woman settled next to them.

“Girls,” Helen greeted them.

“How’s it going?”

“Pretty well. Val tells me you’ve been doing excellent in your training.”

Jubilee shrugged, “We’ve got a good motivation.”

Nodding Helen plucked a blade of grass from her pants leg, “I’ve been thinking I should track Logan down, and see if he would be willing to help us out. Any ideas on where to find him?”

“Could be anywhere,” Rogue shrugged uneasily before glancing up to see Helen’s gaze steady on her. “Try Westchester, he might be there. If he’s not, the Professor’ll be able to tell you where he is.”

Helen nodded, “Somehow I don’t think that the Professor’s gonna be too happy to have someone show up on his doorstep and say I want you to find Logan so we can come kick your ass when my girls are ready.”

“I thought you said revenge was something better left to those who were comfortable with it,” Kitty stated calmly, her gaze steady, her expression void of any emotion.

Helen shrugged, “Didn’t say we were going to do it right this minute. Said when you were ready. What he did… stinks of a self-possessed idealist. You have to understand girls, a cause is wonderful, being devoted to that cause is great, being willing to take the risks is fantastic just don’t expect someone else to take them for you. I’ve never asked anything from my people that I wasn’t willing to do.”

“The old farts’ handicapped. Stuck in a wheelchair,” Rogue declared. “He’s a super telepath so it doesn’t bother him.”

“Being handicapped doesn’t change anything. There are ways around it, there are means to do what needs to be done and I’m sorry but that isn’t it. You don’t send a mouse down a snake’s hole; you send a bigger, more deadly snake or something that preys upon the snake. If he’s a mouse he should employ a few mongooses.”

Chuckling at the thought Rogue shrugged, “He’s weak. He doesn’t understand that life’s a bitch and then you die. For him its about respect and appearances..”

“Everything that has no meaning on a battle field darlin’, there’s a reason they have soldiers you know. A warrior has to have nerves of steel, and a will of iron. None of you had that before this.”

“Why do you say that?” Jubilee snarled.

Helen smiled sadly at the softly veiled threat, “Because you got caught on what should have been a simple contact and recovery, because you are here not there. Val’ll teach you everything she knows, she’ll make you sweat blood before you’re done and when she’s finished it’s my turn. I’m gonna teach you how to be a woman on the battlefield. How to use what the good lord gave you to win, how to use what’s between a man’s legs to defeat him.”

“Oh hell no,” Kitty rose smoothly, “I ain’t fuckin’ anyone just get…”

“I didn’t say anything about sex Katharine. I said I’d teach you how to use what you’ve got to distract, to seduce, to kill without ever giving anything to the enemy. You think you’re the first to balk at that line of thinking… you aren’t. I learned from the best, I’ll teach you what it takes to survive hell and walk away unscathed.”

Sharing a glance Rogue with her friends Rogue sighed, “What about Logan?”

Helen smirked slightly, a familiar expression that reeked of the man in question, “Logan? We let him play to.”

Jubilee glanced at Kitty and Rogue before back to the tall woman who sat watching with a calm expression, “What do you get out of this?”

Helen shrugged, “Four new additions to my outfit? Four talented, deadly warriors who are willing to do what it takes to save themselves…and others.”

“What if we don’t want to fight?”

“Don’t, blood doesn’t have to be spilt to win this war,” Helen replied rising to her feet, “Right now our war isn’t with humans, it isn’t with those who would exterminate both mutant and human to save a species… right now our war is with one old man stuck in a chair who thinks his cause is so mighty, so powerful that he’s willing to destroy others to win.”

“Mutual respect.”

“Something like that,” Helen replied, “Think it over. From what I’ve been told you’ve got some night training coming up so I suggest you take it easy. Val’s really good in the dark and she’s twice as deadly.”

“When are you going to start teaching us?”

“Give it a few weeks,” Helen replied as she walked away, “Hone your skills, file your weaknesses into slight blemishes. Give me some time to find Logan.”

Rogue sighed, “He’ll be a hard find if you can..”

“I have an idea of where he’ll turn up,” Helen paused and looked at Rogue, “just be prepared for hell. You’re gonna see a side of him you haven’t seen before, one that you might not want to ever see again.”

“First blood is ours,” Rogue protested.

“You belong to him; he’ll do whatever he thinks he needs to, if he wants first blood he’ll take it.”

Rogue nodded and sighed as Kitty and Jubilee moved to flank her, their grips tight on her arms as they leaned against each other. She didn’t think Charles would ever know what hit him.
Chapter 6 by Shadowlady
Staring at Charles Logan sucked in the stench of fear and the unease coming from Jean even as he waited impatiently. The last two leads Charles had given him had proven to be less than stellar; in fact they’d been so pathetic that Logan had barely even taken the time to dismount the bike before heading for New York.

“Better be a good lead this time old man or I’m gonna start carving,” Logan ground out his gaze sliding across the room to Jean who reached up to touch the still healing scar on her face. “And I know exactly where I’ll start.”

With a sigh Charles swallowed, he had no choice now. “We sent them on a mission up near Diamond Hill. There’s a small community there that’s very…”

“Anti-mutant,” Logan drawled slowly, softly, his face growing even more twisted with rage. “You sent three inexperienced kids to Diamond Hill? You didn’t think that it would be a…you know fuck this shit. I’m gonna head up and check it out, you better keep trying to find them. If anything has happened to any one of the three of them..”

“There is no need to threaten us Logan,” Charles interrupted quickly.

“Who’s threatening?” Logan drawled as he turned and headed for the door, “The Wolverine promises.”


It took him four days using the hyper drive on the bike to reach the outskirts of the small town Chuck had talked about and he eyed it carefully, assessing it quickly. The smell of fear and loathing were equally strong and Logan caught sight of one young boy who was obviously a mutant walking in the gutter, his body hunched as though he were trying to be invisible.

Rolling the bike forward he cut the boy off, “Hey you. Ya got a minute?”

The quick dart of fear in the boys red eyes followed by a quick shake of his head filled Logan’s ears with the sound of scales being rustled, “It’s okay kid I ain’t gonna hurt you.”

“Hey don’t talk to him,” the voice was angry, filled with hatred and Logan turned his head slowly, his gaze meeting that of a robust man in a military uniform, his dark hair shorn in a familiar way. “Leave the freak alone, he ain’t any good for nothing but a bit of entertainment and even that’s minimal.”

Shaking his head Logan growled low in his throat, a mere rumble that had the kid’s eyes widening before he folded even further into himself and shuffling back a step or two. “What?”

“He’s a mutant or are you blind. Stupid mutant freaks should all be shot, or locked in cages.”

“Yeah, stupid freaks. It’s their fault that the worlds the way it is. They steal our jobs, our women, our money,” another voice joined in anger rising quickly. “You’d do well to ignore him unless of course you want a little action then he’d be happy to oblige..wouldn’t you freak?”

The boy flinched but didn’t move even as a beer can was tossed at him. A moment later everyone fell silent as it hit the ground, crushed in a single hand. “Don’t, you don’t want trouble.” The boy whispered softly, the words a mere rustling of the air.

“Look you freaks are in the way,” Logan snarled itching to let the claws out and knowing he couldn’t. “If you don’t mind I was conducting a little business… now unless you wanna take his place?”

Leaving the threat open he watched the crowd scatter and the boy shudder but he didn’t run. Turning back to the boy Logan studied him, “You sick or something?”

“Something like that,” the boy drawled softly, tonelessly.

“Get on,” Logan snarled and waited to see if the boy would protest. When he didn’t, Logan revved the engine and headed for the nearest dark alley. Stopping the bike Logan let his senses do a bit of a scan and smirked slightly to himself, “Good. There ain’t a body around, you got a name kid?”

“Whatever you wanna call me is okay,” the boy said shifting on his feet for a second before reaching for the buttons on his coat. Tossing it aside he moved forward, a fine tremble in his hands as he reached for Logan’s belt.

“Don’t even fuckin’ think it kid,” Logan ground out catching the kid’s hands. “I ain’t one of these freaks.”

“I’m the freak..”

“You seen three girls? Really pretty, one with white streaks around her face?” the low growl sent a bolt of fear through the boy who stared at him for a second as if debating what to do.

“Not in over a year,” the boy replied with a frown, obviously deciding that the big man would do whatever he wanted and trying to avoid as much pain as was possible.

“Where’d you see ‘em last?”

“The Mayor was talking to one of them, the one dressed in yellow then they vanished.”

“Where’s the Mayor?”

“Uh he’s the one who told you not to talk to me,” the boy muttered looking at Logan like he’d lost his mind.

“Any idea where they went?”

“Were they mutants?” the boys whispered.

“Yeah.”

“Probably over to the base half hour west of here. From there it could be anywhere but I’d look there first,” the boy whispered softly. “You uh want anything? I uh don’t mind if you wanna..”

Shaking his head Logan stared at the boy, “You ever heard of a place called Elk Hump?”

“Yeah, its east of here.”

“I heard its mutant friendly, try it out,” Logan ground out and turned and walked away leaving the boy hunched in the alley, his eyes following his every move with the first hint of life in them.


Mounting the bike Logan roared back onto the main road pausing for a moment, his gaze scanning the crowds. Spotting the Mayor he swallowed the sudden need to kill and narrowed his eyes, if he’d had a hand in Rogue’s disappearance the man would pay…slowly and painfully.




Plucking at the loose thread on her glove Rogue watched as Kitty sparred with Val, both women wore looks of intense concentration, Kitty was the only one who was shrouded in layers of clothes. That morning when she’d gotten up Rogue had stared hard at Kitty who was staring at her gloves.

“What’s up Kitster?”

“Can I borrow some gloves?”

“Sure, but what for? I mean they’re all silk so you can’t exactly get them too dirty.”

“Just something to cover up is all,” Kitty replied before taking the pair offered her. “I need to learn how to fight using them.”

“Why?”

Kitty shrugged dispassionately, “I’m not entirely comfortable with people seeing all the scars.”

“Do you want me to talk to Tank? Get him to get that doctor…?”

“No! I just want to do this myself. If I can get things organized, if I can get more comfortable within the trappings I might not be so desperate for them.”

Nodding her head Rogue sighed, “There are more in the top drawer.”

“Thanks.”

“No problem. Val’s waiting for us.”

Dressing in her usual workout attire Rogue hurried down the hall casually greeting those who spoke to her before stepping in the training room and eying Val who looked ready for war.

“Today we’re gonna get started on weapons training,” Val stated calmly, “So pick one and get really, really comfortable with it. You’re about to learn a whole new skill.”


Wincing as she settled onto the floor Rogue glanced down at her hands, both had the implants that mirrored Logan’s, and yet she’d opted not to train with them, instead she’d selected a pair of Samurai swords the Logan in her mind had all but purred at the sight of.

“You’re good,” Jubilee declared dropping to sit next to her, “You’ve gotten the hang of those things really easily.”

“Something I’ve absorbed,” Rogue shrugged, “Logan knew how to fight with them, knows about a lot of different weapons.”

“You miss him don’t you?”

Rogue looked at her for a moment then shrugged before glancing away, “I’ve been missing him for a longtime.”

“He’ll come for us,” Jubilee whispered painfully, “Or rather what’s left of us.”

Rogue glanced sharply at her, “We’re not going to let them win Jubes. The army may have violated our bodies and minds but we are not going to let them take our souls. We’re better than that, better than this.”

“Mrs. Creed must really be working her magic if you’re gonna believe..”

“Do you think that laying down and dying, that hiding is what we should do?” Rogue asked sharply. “Do you think for one minute that fighting to reclaim what we once were is a sin? We’re not doing this for glory Jubes; we’re doing this to prove that what those fuckers did isn’t okay. We do this we win; we beat them at their own game because it just goes to show that we’re not some wilting flower that falls apart at the first hint of darkness.”

“I’m sorry, guess I’m just in a pity-me mood.”

“There is no such thing as pity for us,” Rogue rose to her feet, “We don’t need it.”

Watching Rogue stalk back to where she’d hung her weapons Jubilee swore under her breath. The sharp zing of metal sliding from its scabbards had even Val glancing away from Kitty for a moment to watch as Rogue assumed the fighting stance she’d picked up from Logan and began moving with the swords, using them as an extension of herself rather than something that wasn’t part of her.

“She’s gonna hurt herself one of these days,” Jubilee said as she picked herself up off the ground, “Or us.”

“Rogue’s got her own demons to worry about,” Val said slightly out of breath. “Alright Katharine, again.”

Watching Kitty and Val sparring for a moment Jubilee sighed and shook her head, “Why me?” Picking up the staff she’d chosen, she trudged to the post she’d been assigned and began the fast, flowing strikes she had to master before she could move onto another weapon.

Picturing the face of the first man who’d come into her cell, Jubilee struck hard, harder than was strictly necessary in practice, each move poetry in motion, a strike out to do what she’d been unable to do that night.


“Alright that’s enough ladies,” Val’s voice was firm, yet compassionate as she took in her pupils. All three were sweaty, their hair sticking up like crazy, their faces flushed, the chests heaving with the strain and a quiet, almost secretive desperation in their eyes. “Tomorrow’s gonna be an easy day, we’ll train with the weights so I expect y’all to be well rested.”

With a quick nod the girls watched her walk out of the room, her back straight, a spring to her step that they envied. Avoiding looking at the others each headed for her room to shower and change for dinner.



“Any idea where he might be?” Helen asked softly as she sat on the front porch watching the horses racing around in the late day sun.

“If you were him where would you be?” the voice was grizzled, age weary, and belonged to an old woman who eyed her with affection.

“I’d start where they disappeared,” Helen rose and padded to the porch railing. “Then I’d go from there.”

“Do you think he’d know where that point is?” A new, stronger voice rasped, the masculine timber echoing on the afternoon wind.

“Hard to say,” Helen glanced at her companions, “Take what you need, go to the base we got them from, wait for him. If he’s been there you’ll know. There’ll be claw marks on everything.”

“Won’t there be already? After all she’s got them.”

“Logan’s are distinct, you can’t miss ‘em,” Helen replied softly, seriously. “If he’s there, when you see him bring him here. Tell him…” Helen paused slightly at the slight hunched figure that was stumbling up the driveway. “Hold that thought,” with an agile leap she was over the railing and racing up the driveway as the figure collapsed.

Rolling the coated figure over Helen sighed and sat back on her haunches just as another body arrived, “Looks bad Tank.”

“Any blood?”

“I don’t smell any, just pain, exhaustion, hunger, desperation,” Helen glanced up. “Might be from the Underground.”

“God, who does this sort of thing to kids?” Tank appraised the young boy, “Bet he’s not older than thirteen, fourteen.”

“Probably not,” Helen agreed and rose, “You can treat him?”

Tank smiled sadly, “He’ll be okay.”

“Another one for the ranks,” Helen muttered a defeated cast to her shoulders. Walking up onto the porch she swallowed, “How many more are there Momma? How much more do we have to take?”

“Ain’t his fault.”

“It’s not humanities either,” Helen replied softly. “They’re only doing what they believe needs to be done, what they think they have to do. I’m so sick of this. So sick of having to fight for the lives of strangers.”

“And yet you would continue it if it meant that Richard’s memory was honored.”

“I loved him, why shouldn’t I have something to cling to about him?”

“You still have two beautiful sons, what more do you want?”

“My husband back,” Helen replied seriously before turning and heading inside, “You want some help inside Momma?”

“I’m too old for that sort of trick daughter,” she cackled, “Go and spend some time with my granddaughter in law. Love her as much as you love your son.”

Smiling softly Helen slipped inside and followed soundlessly down to the sickbay where Tank was currently changing the boy’s clothes. Swallowing the rising bile at the multitude of bruises, the scars, the marks of a boy who’d been badly used Helen waited impatiently for some indication of where he’d been.

“I’ll head out and meet him,” Tank drawled as he sat across from Helen in her office two hours later. “I’ll make sure he knows where the girls are. What about their training?”

“I’ve already begun training them with my skills. Rogue shows a dangerous aptitude for this sort of work, Kitty’s building a wall around herself to protect what’s left of her heart.”

“And Jubilee?” Tank asked softly, a concerned look in his gaze.

“Has grown quite attached to you, to what you’ve offered her. I’m not blind, or so old that I don’t see what’s in front of my face Tank. You’ve been working with her one on one at night when she should be sleeping, healing.”

“I had no choice,” Tank shrugged, “You don’t know… Aw fuck you probably do.”

Helen grinned, “Just remember on thing son don’t go spouting pretty words hoping to get inside her defenses. She’s not the kind to fall for a fast line and an easy fuck; she’s got things to do, scars to heal.”

Tank shrugged, “She’s still an innocent girl in my mind. What happened wasn’t about her, it was about domination, control and I don’t want a simpering little china doll. I want a woman who can hold her own.”

Helen sighed, “Get me Logan and get back here. We have a long way to go and a lot of work to do.”

Tank nodded and rose, “I’ll be back as soon as I can. The boy’ll probably sleep for some time; I’ve left instructions with Mel on what to do if he needs anything.”

“Tank, you’re not the only doctor here,” Helen smiled at the younger man. “You’re just one of the best there is. Go, bring him home, then get ready cause we’re gonna teach a rich old prick what happens when you’re willing to write someone off as expendable.”

With a rich chuckle Tank headed for the door, he would bring the man his boss wanted back here to the woman who waited for him. He would return to the woman child who waited, wanted him and he would do it all because it was the right thing to do, because she made him want to do it.
Chapter 7 by Shadowlady
Glaring at the deep gouges in the walls Logan shook his head and screamed a primordial sound filled with rage and agony. Whoever or whatever had gone on here told of violence and rage that couldn’t be covered up by paint or pretty words.

Inhaling he searched the air for the scent that he wanted, that he needed and grunted at the faint but distinct smell of perfume. Following the aged trail carefully he paused before a door and ripped it from its hinges to stare at the pile of clothing and other good stolen from captives.

Digging through it he felt something within him freeze as he found something he’d never wanted to find. Feeling that last tiny, unacknowledged feeling of hope fall away Logan sank to the floor his gaze steady on the tattered leather in his hands. Leather that bore the familiar X, along with the small, almost unnoticed maple leaves Rogue had smiled at him for giving her.

She’d promised never to take the pin from her uniform, it would be her good luck charm and to find it tossed aside with her uniform was disheartening, and woke the embers of rage that the Wolverine fed upon.

“She ain’t here,” the low, distinctly masculine rumble had Logan whirling his claws coming out to stare at the monstrosity staring back at him.

“What the fuck are you talking about?” Logan hissed rising to his feet and glaring at the man who leaned against the wall, his arms crossed over his massive barrel chest.

“The girl she ain’t here. Hasn’t been for some time.”

“I can tell that by myself,” Wolverine snarled, his claws oozing out to their full extension. Slowly, carefully he started forward, intent on getting answers from the bigger man even as some hint of familiarity plagued him.

“Does it matter?” Tank asked softly as he stood up straight, pushing away from the wall and moving to stare into the room. Helen had said it would be a marker left behind, a sign of lives cut short, of futures stolen and not to disturb it. He’d suggested sealing it but she’d shook her head, ‘No Tank, a tomb must never be truly sealed. The evil only festers within them then.’ So they’d left it open, left it for the next poor schmuck to find and Logan the poor, unfortunately man had found it.

“I’m gonna give you three seconds bub, then I’m gonna gut you. Tell me where they took her,” the screech of his claws gouging into the walls filling the hallway.

Tank shook his head neatly avoiding Logan’s claws, his gaze darting across the piles of clothes, “Somewhere else,” he drawled and looked at the shorter man, “You know you ain’t changed a bit. Still the same hard nosed little bastard I remember.”

“I don’t think so bub, where is she? Where’d they take them?”

“They?” Tank shook his head, “Can’t you smell the death that was here?”

“I smell it, just like I smell yours. Now tell me where…”

“Home. Safe in the bosom of a place especially provided for people like us.”

“Xavier’s?” Logan ground out angrily and turned away. The fucker hadn’t bothered to tell him that the girls..

“No. He’s on the ‘to kill’ list. The boss has offered them a place with her. I can take you.”

“Then shut the fuck up and get a move on,” Wolverine snarled, “And if you make one wrong move..”

“I heal Logan,” Tank drawled carefully, “Just like you do. We are what we are, if we’re going to them there’s a few things I need to tell you.”

“They’re alive ain’t they? They okay? Is she okay?” The need to kill back benched momentarily.

Tank shook his head slowly, “No. They might be alive but they are far from okay. Jubilation and Katharine took what was arguably the worst treatment of the three. Jubilation lost an eye, part of one nipple, and those are just a couple of minor injuries compared to the sexual mutilation. Katharine will never willingly have sex again, and that’s only partially because of the damage done to her body. They did a lot of harm, left a lot of scarring and it would be painful to have intercourse without a lot of assistance from lube or desire something I’m afraid is in short supply with that girl. Both have massive scarring on their faces and bodies..”

“And Rogue?” Logan ground out sickened beyond belief.

“Massive scarring that’s entirely surgical, only a few scars that are sexually based. She’s got a long scar running from her left shoulder down across both breasts and up to her right shoulder, dissecting her chest perfectly. There are also the implants?”

“Implants?”

“Adamantium,” Tank drawled, “On her hands, they gave her claws like yours, as well as selective grafting. She’s covered in the metal on her head, torso, and legs. Both arms have limited coverage, mostly where the implants are.”

Logan shook his head, trying to keep the rage to a bare minimum. “I shouldn’t have…”

“You had no way of knowing they would get sent out on this mission. No way of knowing what lay in wait for them at the end of their road. All three are healing; it’s just going to take time. They’ve all begun their training months ago and are doing very well. They’re almost as well trained as you were before you left home.”

“Home?” Logan frowned, “What the fuck are you talkin’ about bub?”

Tank smirked, “I think I’ll let Helen Creed tell you, Logan.”

Following behind the taller man Logan wondered if anyone would notice if he killed the big brute. Deciding to just wait and see he sucked in a breath and followed him to where his bike was parked. Sitting next to it idling smoothly was a massive black Chevy truck.

“You wanna ride with me and put your bike in the back?” Tank asked eying the bike.

Knowing that he would have to follow the truck Logan shrugged, “Might as well. Best find something to load it with.”

“I’ve got it,” Tank drawled and but the tailgate down. A moment later he hefted the bike and slid it into place before climbing up and securing it, “Get in.”


Driving with the big man Logan found was rather boring. There was no conversation, no annoying chatter like with the X-men, or subtle barbs like driving with Rogue. Instead it was as though the cab was empty space, dead air that did nothing but appear like a mirage in the desert. He hadn’t even heard a muttered complaint when he’d lit a cigar, instead there had been a quick glance and a hand that had pulled out the ashtray but that was it.

Briefly he wished he was riding with Rogue, that they’d never met the X-men that time had decided to be nice that cold, winter’s day in Alberta so very long ago. Straightening as he caught sight of a beautifully crafted gate and his gaze darted to the man next to him, “Three days of driving in silence and this is where you’re taking me?”

“Appearances Logan,” Tank drawled quickly, “Appearances. This is the money maker for us; we can’t do our work without a bit of financial backing.”

“Money,” Logan ground out, “Always about the fuckin’ money.”

Tank smiled sadly and looked at the man next to him, “It’s a necessary evil,” he stated calmly. “Be nice if it wasn’t but you can’t pay for supplies with good intentions or good looks. Someone has to pay for the things we need.”

Logan nodded slowly inhaling a lung full of smoke as the truck rolled to a stop in a six bay garage filled with a multitude of vehicles from bikes to cars, to four wheelers, to a lone tractor that sat covered with a tarp. “Well at least your vehicles are in good shape.”

Laughing softly Tank nodded and glanced at his watch, “The girls are in training and Val won’t like it if we disturb them. Come on I’ll show you to the boss’s office and you can talk to her for a bit.”

“I want to see Rogue, and the other two girls.”

Tank shook his head, “I ain’t risking getting castrated by some psychotic bitch with a blade just so you can see Rogue. Trust me, you’ll see her soon enough.”

Following the big man into the house Logan frowned at the sound of running feet a moment before a tall, willowy youth appeared.

“Tank! You made it back! Ooh Mrs. Creed will be happy. She’s down in the OPS room.”

“Thanks kid,” Tank ruffled the boy’s hair, “Lincoln this is Logan. Logan this is Lincoln, he helps out with the horses around here.”

Logan nodded at the boy before following ‘Tank’ down the hallway to an elevator. A few seconds later he was standing in a corridor lined with doors.

“This way,” Tank drawled and led the way down the hallway pausing next to one door to peek inside and smile smugly before ushering Logan further down the hall, almost as though he knew he was safe from the man’s temper.

“Hey Boss,” Tank knocked on a door and opened it slightly, “You busy?”

“No, no I’m not,” the soft, obviously pleased feminine voice had Logan guessing the woman was Tank’s wife although why he called her boss was beyond Logan. “Come in, come in.”

Stepping into the office Logan stared at the woman who was currently beaming at him like he was a sandwich and she was starving. Glancing at the man next to him Logan glanced behind him before shrugging mentally, “I wanna see Rogue.”

“Of course you do son,” Helen said pulling Logan into a tight hug, “Oh I’m so glad to see you. I’ve missed you so much; it’s been way too long. You look like shit though, haven’t been sleeping or something? You really do need to get your rest, just because you heal, you regenerate doesn’t mean that your body doesn’t need rest. Have you been drinking to? Logan you really should…”

“I heard Logan’s back,” the distinct sound of a male had everyone turning to see the young man standing grinning like a fool. “He is! Oh great, it’s good to see you Logan. You up for a few hands later?”

“Of course he is,” Helen smiled plucking imaginary lint off Logan’s jacket and tugging at his hair, ignoring the dark scowl on his face as he glanced between her and Edward, “Right after dinner. We have a lot of work to do starting tomorrow I won’t have anyone tired beyond endurance. You understand me Edward?”

“Of course Momma,” Edward grinned, “Rogue’s gonna be over the moon that you’re here. She’s missed you something fierce.”

“I’ve missed her,” Logan frowned uncertain why these people put him at such ease. Glancing from one to the other he could see a family resemblance between them, but how they knew him he didn’t know. “When’s training over?”

“Soon,” Tank replied a moment before a shrill scream tore through the air followed by a string of curses, and Jubilee’s voice filling with panic as she started going off in an Asiatic language.

Pushing past Tank Logan raced down the hallway, his heart pounding as he jerked open the door, his claws coming out instinctively. Stepping into the training room he froze, Rogue sat on the floor her hands covered in blood, her face filled with blind rage as she stared at the inches of adamantium exposed. Kitty and Jubilee stood huddled together a few feet away, obviously trying to calm Rogue and a few feet away a tall, blonde stood eying the trio with a mixture of pride and concern.

“What happened?” Tank ground out as he pushed past Logan and moved toward Rogue.

“Don’t!” Jubilee shouted as she glared at Tank, “Stay away from her. She’s flippin’ out.”

“Why?”

“I don’t know,” Jubilee replied glancing from Kitty to Rogue, “Kitty said something to her and the claws came out and..”

“Katharine are you injured?”

“No,” Kitty whispered sadly. “She didn’t get me at all. She just pushed me away and started screaming.”

Stalking past Tank who was inching his way toward Rogue, Logan threw a dark look at the pair sitting together and grabbed Rogue who immediately lunged upwards with her claws, narrowly missing their mark. Her body primed for a fight even as he noticed the slight tremble that raced through her along with the smell of adamantium, fear, and rage.

“Shh, I gotcha darlin’,” Logan whispered holding her so her claws were relatively useless. Rocking her back and forth he listened to her sobs, her muttered pleas and felt the pain go bone deep. Whatever hell she was in, she would need him to get back out.

“Logan!” Jubilee’s voice was filled with shock and an almost scary amount of pleasure as the girl launched herself at him followed quickly by Kitty. “You came! You really, really came. Thank you. We were so scared and then Rogue kept saying you’d come but we were beginning to doubt her and….”

“Shh, I’m here now,” Logan muttered wincing at the way the girls all clung to him. “I’m not about to let anyone hurt you again.”

“We’ve learned how to fight,” Kitty whispered sadly, her gaze steady even as she ducked her head to hide the scars.

“What did you say to her?”

“Just that I wasn’t sure if she should avoid learning how to use her claws then she said she didn’t want them and was going to tear them out.”

“I don’t want them!” Rogue sobbed turning to burrow closer to Logan. “I don’t want them, I’m not a monster. I’m not!”

“No baby you aren’t,” Logan whispered, “I’ve got you now baby, just let it all out.”

Sobbing Rogue clung to the warmth holding her, hardly aware of whom it was, even as small things began to creep in. The smell of tobacco, the faint but distinct scent that she knew beyond a doubt and slowly the tears faded until she could look up to stare into Logan’s eyes.

“Hey,” Logan smiled shakily down at her.

“Logan? Is it really you?” Rogue whispered softly, tearfully.

“Did you think you’d get rid of me that easily?” Logan teased softly.

“I prayed not,” Rogue whispered shifting so she was straddling his lap and wrapped around him. “We needed you so badly.”

“I’m here now, and I’m not going away!”

“Come on, everyone out,” Helen whispered after a few seconds of watching the girls and Logan on the mats, “Leave them to a moment of privacy.”

Tank shifted uneasily, eying Jubilee who sobbed into Logan’s shoulder, “But..”

“Rogue’ll be fine,” Helen glanced at him and smiled, “Jubilee will be as well. She adores you give her a chance to have this. They all need to know that they’re safe, that the one person they trust beyond us is there, that he didn’t forget them, that he accepts them.”

“I accept her.”

“But you’ve never seen her without the scars,” Helen pointed out gently, “You don’t see them because you see who she is with them, he knew her before the scars, before the lab. If you love her you’ll give her this.”

Tank nodded and turned to the door a soft, almost sad look in his eyes.

“Tank!” Jubilee’s voice halted his departure, “Thank you. It’s good to see you.”

Tank smiled at her tear streaked face and shrugged, “Aw hell Jubilation, just doing what I had to do.”

“You uh got time for me after?”

Tank grinned, “For you? I’ve got all the time in the world. I’ll see you after; you just spend some time with Logan okay?”

Jubilee nodded and clung tighter to Logan who looked faintly uncomfortable.

Stepping out into the hallway he met Helen’s gaze, “They’ll never know what hit them in New York will they?”

Helen shook her head slowly, “No and I’m not going to warn them. Get some sleep Tank, tomorrow is going to be a long, hard day.”

With a quick nod Tank moved toward his rooms, he’d wait for Jubilee to come to him.
Chapter 8 by Shadowlady
The soft knock on her office door had Helen glancing up with a faint smile, “Come in.”

The door swung open and Helen nodded at the man standing there a dark look on his face, his eyes filled with rage and horror. Watching him in silence as he stalked across the room she sighed, he moved so much like his father had, he was so much like Richard that it hurt a little to watch him, but it was a good pain, one that let her know she was alive, that she still had a part of her she’d long since believed gone.

Sinking into a seat Logan stared at the woman across from him, “I want answers.”

“I don’t know the whole story myself but I do know this. They took Rogue to make another ‘machine’ for killing. The other two were kept for entertainment value.”

Logan swallowed at the rising bile, “Entertainment?”

Helen nodded, “Yes I’m certain that Tank filled you in a bit on what happened. Just so you know, Tank tried to repair the damage as much as was possible but it was rather extensive. It’s his assessment that we’re making the assumptions of the limitations placed on both girls. Their wounds were too extensive.”

“What sort..?”

“They uh, they tried to sew her vaginal area shut. Did it repeatedly then raped her. Of course it tore the stitches out leaving her with jagged, ugly scars that never healed. Over time the scar tissue that built up made the ‘stitches’ unnecessary but the treatment didn’t stop. Apparently he likes his whore’s tight; I believe is what she muttered in her sleep night after night.”

“And Jubilee?”

“The loss of an eye, part of her right nipple when they pierced it then ripped the ring out. She also has incision marks from both knees up to her genital area and scarring around..”

“Don’t tell me, I can guess the rest,” Logan snarled rising to pace around the room the urge to shred something strong. Tank sure hadn’t been far off in the whole mutilation statements that he’d made. “What about Xavier? What’s he doing to help them?”

“Nothing. The girls want revenge; I see no good reason not to let them have it. He sent them out to a hot spot, left them in a lab cell for months, and will probably act like it wasn’t that big a deal if he sees them again. Its one of the reasons that they’ve begun training daily with Val.”

Logan nodded the memories tickling at the back of his mind, the face and name familiar and yet he didn’t remember any of these people. “Should let ‘em have it.”

“They cross our paths they’ll get it. Look I’m gonna be honest with you, Rogue is a very lucky young woman that the drugs didn’t kill her. Only the fact that she held some of your healing prevented an overdose, and her skin protected her from the same treatment as the other two but still. She’s feeling delicate, feeling as though you’ll look down upon her or not want her.”

“Bullshit. She’s mine.”

“I know that, all I’m saying Logan is that you have to let her come to you. Don’t rush any of them, don’t touch without asking permission, and don’t look at the scars on their faces, their hands, bodies. Don’t bring up bad memories.”

Logan nodded, “Nightmares?”

“Every night,” Helen sighed, “Son this is one of the worst cases I’ve ever seen. I’ve never seen such disregard for life before, and I’ve seen a lot. Frankly it would have been more merciful to kill them than to let them live but I’m not the one who makes that decision. They had to choose, and they chose life.”

“I should never have left, if I hadn’t..”

“You didn’t have a choice. Now it’s been a long day, lets both try to get some rest, tomorrow’s going to be a painful, hard day.”

Long after the woman who called him son had left him in a large room Logan laid staring at the ceiling, his mind whirling with memories, his body filled with rage. Rage at Xavier for not doing more to protect Rogue and her friends, rage at himself for being foolish enough to trust a man who ‘respected’ humanity so much, and rage at the inability to do something right then. He wanted to hunt the men down who’d hurt the girls and make them pay but he couldn’t, he needed to be close to Rogue when she woke up.




Smothering a groan at the agony in her head Rogue shifted on the bed, realizing that once again she’d managed to find herself back in sickbay. Swearing softly she wondered why her arms no longer hurt why her entire body’s slight aches and pains were gone and why her headache was rapidly fading away.

“Hey darlin’, how you doing?” the low, familiar growl had her jerking toward the sound and her eyes flying open to stare into warm hazel eyes.

“Logan, you came,” Rogue sighed tearfully, “I thought I saw you earlier but I wasn’t so sure and then everything was so blurry and unsettled. I can’t seem to keep anything clear in my head anymore, everything’s so tangled up and such a mess.”

With a smirk he shrugged, “Of course. Couldn’t leave my best girl out here alone. Not when I need her so bad I can’t sleep, can’t eat, and can’t drink. Nearly lost a match in my last fight.”

Chuckling brokenly Rogue smiled at him before closing her eyes at the rapid swell of pain in her chest. Sobbing brokenly she raised her arms, holding her hands over her eyes as she cried for the innocence lost, for the agony of having her body violated, of having some small part of her taken away before she could give it to Logan.

“Hey, hey it’s okay. I’m not gonna let anything bad happen to you ever again. I promise,” Logan whispered moving to hold her carefully, tenderly.

Nodding Rogue sobbed all that much harder, “Jubes, Kitty, have you seen them?” she cried, “Did you see what they allowed them to do? God Logan, I thought we could trust him, I thought…”

“Shhh,” Logan whispered softly, “You aren’t expendable kid, and not a one of you are. Now I seen Jubilee and Kitty but ya gotta know I ain’t gonna look upon ‘em as any different.”

“But they are. I am.”

Sucking in a deep breath Logan nodded, “I know baby, I know. You aren’t alone now. I’m gonna fix this, I’m gonna make things better – I don’t know how but I will.”

“I hate him so much Logan, I hate..”

“I know,” Logan sighed and glanced up at the soft sound of a door open to see a familiar faced girl staring at him for a few seconds before she ducked her head to cover the scars that covered her face. “Hey Kitty, you’re looking good.”

Kitty shrugged and moved further into the room followed quickly by Jubilee who smiled shakily, “We heard Rogue crying.”

“Lots of people did,” Logan whispered softly kissing her through her hair gently, “But its okay. Everything’s going to be okay. I’ll protect you.”

“All of us?” Kitty whispered softly, hesitantly.

“All of you,” Logan replied with a firm growl. “You’re not alone now, you’re not a monster, what they did isn’t about you.”

Crawling onto Rogue’s bed Kitty sat next to her and glanced at Logan through her hair, “They did horrible stuff to us.”

Logan nodded, “I heard, but you know what? You’re a fighter, we’re survivors and nothing is gonna take that away. It might not be worth a whole lot but I’ve got your back…and I trust you to have mine.”

Smiling her understanding Kitty launched over and hugged him tightly, “Thank you.”

“No problem.”

“Professor Xavier thinks we’re gonna forgive and forget,” Jubilee declared plucking at a stray thread. “They shouldn’t have let us go.”

“I know. And the woman in charge said..”

“You mean your Mom?” Rogue giggled through her tears at Logan’s stunned expression, “She’s a nice lady, and has one too many personality traits that have carried over to you.”

“Look kid I don’t think..”

“She is you know,” Rogue smiled through her tears, “There’s things she knows about you that only a mom would know. Besides even if you don’t like it…”

“I ain’t related to that over grown sewer rat. The woman is one thing, but Victor that’s just disgusting.”

“It’s a very distant relation. Besides, I like Helen, she’s a nice lady.”

“Yeah she is,” Logan smirked at her and tugged on a streak, not willing to get into a verbal disagreement with Rogue, “She said you’ve been training which is good. When you’re back on your feet we’re gonna go back, we’re gonna get you three an apology, some closure.”

“All of us?”

“All of us,” Logan promised. “Now you two better get some sleep, tomorrow I start training ya.”

Laughing softly Kitty and Jubilee slid out of the room quickly, secure that Rogue hadn’t led them wrong, that Logan would protect them, help them. Neither of them saw the silent man watching in the hallway, nor saw the small smile that graced his face before he drifted away leaving the sickbay level to them.
Chapter 9 by Shadowlady
“Okay Rogue, again,” Helen called seriously as she shifted her weight, balancing every inch of her body on the balls of her feet in preparation of the oncoming assault. The young woman had proven to be a masterful student, one that had shown a great aptitude to the skills Helen taught.

Fully aware of her good looks, her curves Rogue wasn’t above using them to distract, to draw her quarry in without giving an inch. So far she’d managed to best both Edward and Tank, two of the most able bodied warriors. The only man she’d sparred with and hadn’t been able to take down was Logan, and that was a session that left everyone both exhausted and turned on.

Like poetry in motion they fought hard, never pulling punches, tossing moves at each other that both knew and were able to block. With each move, with each blow their strength increased, their ability to flow together as warriors improved until it was like looking at mirror images.

The lingering caresses on a hip, or the cup of a jaw before a bite were hardly part of the fight, rather they spoke of unlimited affection… of something that made their battle all that more daunting. For both of them to be able to exhibit that much aggression with a lover, a friend made those watching only too aware of how dangerous they would be on the battlefield.

Ducking at a punch Helen grunted when a foot connected with her stomach, knocking her off balance for a split second and turning the tide until Rogue had her pinned, “Excellent work.”

“You got distracted,” Rogue smiled softly, a mere easing of her features. “Thanks.”

Helen rose to her feet in one smooth, agile leap, “You’ve been honing Logan’s skills in your head again haven’t you?”

“Yep,” Rogue shrugged and shifted, immediately moving back for another round. “It’s easier to do that than think of what I let them do. I can’t…I won’t let them win. They took so much from us; it’s a fight I can’t afford to lose.”

Helen nodded and moved to block Rogue’s blows with one of her own. Using her weight and her skills gleaned from years on a battlefield Helen still found it hard to take Rogue down, and with each day she trained, each moment she worked with Logan, each glance at her friends, at the still uncharted control of her claws her skills grew.

Twenty minutes later winded, both women gathered their gear and headed for the shower. There was no conversation, no rehashing of the weak spots like most in training would do with their trainer – rather it was over and done and nothing needed to be discussed.

Running a brush through her hair Helen glanced in the mirror at the sudden appearance in it behind her, “What’s on your mind?”

“When do we go against them?”

Helen hid a smile as she pulled her hair back into a thick braid before turning to stare at Rogue’s expression, “There’s been some indication to several of our personnel that there is a young mutant a coupe days west of here that could use some help. We’re going pick her up in a few hours, soon as Edward gets the transportation lined up. If what Logan has told me is true then I imagine that they’ll be there. She’s a pretty powerful mutant by all accounts.”

“What’s her mutation?”

“I’m not entirely certain but I think it has to do with electrical charges. If you’re coming you better get dressed for it.”

“I’ll be ready,” Rogue promised with a slight twisted grin. As soon as the door closed she moved to her locker and pulled out long cloak the Logan had gifted her with and smirked. Draping it over one arm she exited the dressing room and headed for her quarters, catching sight of Kitty and Jubilee standing together talking.

Both were dressed in black, Jubilee’s bionic eye gleamed in the florescent light and her face wore a dark look. Her tank top bore the jagged tears of a nameless rage, her baggy black jeans were tucked into the top of her combat boots, and a holster hung low on one hip.

Kitty wore a lightweight, black silk mask to cover her face, her hands were wrapped in heavy duty leather gloves, and black leather covered her upper torso, blending gracefully into the black and silver leather pants she wore. A subtle sniff told Rogue that both of them wore Kevlar under their clothes, and upon a closer look both wore heavy chokers around their necks.

Smiling at the grim reminder of the darts that had been shot into their necks Rogue nodded at them and hurried to dress. Shedding her clothes she pulled on a thong before slipping into the heavy denim covered Kevlar pants Logan had ordered for her, buckling the belt into place she reached for the jacket laying on the bed. Pulling on the heavy leather reminiscent of the X-uniform Rogue sighed and shook her head.

“We’re too damn old for this crap,” she muttered angrily and jerked the coat on. After pulling her newly grown hair back into a crude handkerchief she reached for her cloak.

“Don’t forget your gun,” Logan’s low drawl had Rogue glancing up sharply to see him sitting next to the window, a cigar crushed between his teeth.

“I won’t,” Rogue replied steadily and slid into place on her hip before walking over to sit at Logan’s feet, “Can we do this?”

“This pick-up?” Logan shrugged at Rogue’s nod, “Piece of cake. The hard part isn’t a pick-up it’s controlling the rage you’ll feel when you see ‘em again. See you know they set you up and it ain’t gonna set well with anyone of the three of you, or with me for that matter. You lean on me baby and I’ll make damn sure you get back here.”

“What about Jubes and Kitster?”

Logan shrugged and leaned forward until they were nearly touching, the faint trickle of her power beginning to grow, to itch as it sensed power close by, “I’ve got their backs, although Jubilee is gonna be the best protected girl out there. Tank’ll watch her back, and God help anyone who gets in the way.”

“Kitty’s being eaten alive with rage you know. She wants to kill Xavier, wants to get back what they stole away from her.”

“She’ll learn real soon that you can’t steal back what was taken,” Logan replied seriously. “But let her have her vengeance, they all deserve it.”

“What do I deserve Logan?” Rogue whispered, “What am I entitled to?”

Logan paused for a second before smiling slightly, “The same as them if you want it.”

“What if I do? Will you want me less because of that?”

“No,” Logan shifted, moving so he was kneeling in front of her, “Would you stop wantin’ me if I wanted revenge for what they did to you? To your friends?”

Rogue shook her head slowly, “No. I want revenge Logan, but more than that I want acknowledgement. We weren’t throwaways; we were supposed to be part of the team, part of the family.”

“You are. You’re part of my family, this family. You are my family.”

“Great, three daughters,” Rogue grunted.

“You aren’t my daughter Marie, Jubilee and Kitty yeah, maybe but you never. Not since we met that day in Laughlin.”

Rogue nodded and smiled shakily, “I can do this. I can face them.”

“You can,” Logan squeezed her hands, “You’re made of pretty strong stuff.”

A soft knock on the door had both of them glancing up, “Yeah?” Logan ground out.

“It’s time to go,” Val’s distinct voice had Rogue and Logan getting to their feet and heading for the door. They would beat Xavier to this girl, and if they saw them… well it would be all out war. He had no idea what sort of creature he’d awakened with his disregard, but he’d find out.



Sitting silently in her location Kitty kept her gaze on the move, searching for the distinct appearance of the X-jet. Spotting it she smirked coldly and waiting, blending back into the rubble that littered the ground. The girl they’d come for was securely sequestered away, and a glance shared with Rogue and Jubilee had all three turning to Logan who’d merely shrugged and moved into the shadows. He would watch and wait, like them he wanted to know how the X-men dealt with the loss of this kid.

Watching the team disembark and begin searching Kitty moved further into the shadows as she saw a potential weakness and moved to intercept it. Moving silently, using her powers to phase through things rather than around them she moved into place and waited, an injection gun in one hand.

When her target came within striking distance she signaled Rogue who immediately nodded at Jubilee who sent a wave of sparks at the X-jet and began setting small fires to distract the team. Like a well oiled machine they created the appearance of the team being under a massive attack, using smoke bombs, flames, and Jubilee’s sparks to do the work for them.

When her quarry got within the appropriate distance Kitty moved quickly, stealthily and emptied the tranquilizer into a well muscled thigh. A wave and she had her target behind the nearest dumpster where she covered him with her cloak and moved back into position as the team called a retreat. She knew it wouldn’t take long for them to figure out that they were missing one person but for the moment she wasn’t too concerned. She had some time, and a new toy… at least temporarily.
Chapter 10 by Shadowlady
Groaning at the pounding in his head Scott shifted, suddenly aware of the fact that his visor was gone. Squeezing his eyes closed tightly he shifted, aware that his arms were bound behind his back with heavy chains, and there was a bitter, almost rotten taste in his mouth.

Licking his lips he tried to summon saliva to moisten dry tissue even as the sound of a key turning in the lock filled his head. It had become evident a moment after the first explosion that it was a set-up. Someone had beaten them to the kid, and was lying in wait for them. Cursing his foolishness at the obviousness of the ploy Scott waited impatiently for whatever was going to happen.

“Ooh good you’re awake,” the hard tone didn’t fit the image Scott got in his head of the voice’s owner.

“Kitty?”

“Don’t waste your breath,” the girl giggled coldly, sickly, “You’re in for the royal treatment… at least until I get bored.”

“I need my visor or something Kitty. I can’t hold my eyes closed forever.”

“You won’t need to,” Kitty’s footfalls were closer and a moment later he felt something cold, metallic brush against his face. “See I’m doing you a favor, I’m putting on a suppression collar. Tank designed it to help Rogue learn to control her gifts, and it works really well. So well in fact that she spent the entire night last night screaming out Logan’s name.”

Blinking slightly Scott shifted pulling back to stare through a haze of red at Kitty who stood dressed in a tank top and boxer shorts, “Thank God you’re alive.”

“Oh I’m not that girl anymore,” Kitty drawled emotionlessly. “That girl died the first night in that lab.”

“I’m sorry,” Scott whispered softly, “I really am but..”

“Save it. Just to save time I’m gonna fill ya in on some things,” Kitty shifted and looked at him, “First of all there isn’t anyone within ten miles that’s gonna hear you scream so if you want to feel free to… just don’t expect rescue. Second of all, by now one of our people is back at the mansion with a package for them. That package will seal your fate; see they’ll think you’re dead. We both know as long as they think that you won’t even be a blip on the radar.”

“Anything else?” Scott asked softly, unease filling him.

“Yes,” Kitty moved right up to him, the soft curves of her breasts pressing against him, “I’m the only thing that’s gonna save your ass so if I were you, I’d think of something real fast to make me want to keep you alive.”

“You gonna keep me here?”

“No, this is only temporary. We’re going to be moving as soon as Creed Inc. arranges for your more permanent home.”

“You didn’t deserve this you know? You shouldn’t have been on that mission..”

“So why were we, huh?”

Scott sighed, “I don’t know.”

“I can guess,” Kitty trailed her nails down Scott’s jaw, “Get rid of the competition. We all knew Jean resented the hell outta Rogue, we’d all seen it. Couldn’t for the life of me think of why though, I mean it wasn’t as though you were trying to get Rogue into bed…no the only one who was even considering that was Logan and he left. But he’d pay attention to her if Rogue was gone, if she was out of the picture Jean would have Logan all to herself.”

“You’re mistaken.”

“The only problem was no one would believe that Rogue would run, she’d promised Logan to stay put, to be safe so that meant there had to be a mission. But how to send her alone… she couldn’t so she made up some story about a kid needin’ help and poof suggested Rogue and us go. Eliminate three enemies with one blow. How’s she liking life now Scott? How does she sleep at night,” Kitty hissed her nails digging into his throat.

Wisely Scott held his tongue; he knew Jean wasn’t to blame, that the blame was equally within him as well. Watching Kitty’s movements around him he wondered just how much the girl had changed and swallowed harshly, somehow he didn’t believe he’d ever get back to New York. Somehow, something told him that if Kitty didn’t kill him, there were three more people waiting in line to do it.

“Nothing to say? Oh well I guess that’s alright. I’m sure you’ll have plenty to say by the time I’m finished with you.”

The slam of the door had Scott slumping in his bindings, he wondered if the girl would ever trust him enough to let him go. Resolving to keep his head, he took a steadying breath, he would do whatever he needed to, and after all he had to make amends somehow.



With Kitty in a meeting with Helen and Rebecca the responsibility of feeding her new ‘toy’ fell to Rogue. Logan would just kill him and Kitty didn’t want that, she wanted him alive, wanted him able to feel pain, sorrow, degradation, emotions Kitty was very familiar with.

Jubilee refused flatly, the very thought was enough to make her throw up and she swallowed harshly as Rogue sighed and shrugged her agreement. Now Rogue was carrying Scott his meal, her booted feet moving rather slowly, only the thought of Kitty’s displeasure at the prisoners death kept her from dropping it on the floor outside his cell.

Resting the tray on one leg she unlocked the door and slipped inside the small, confined space. A lone bare bulb hung from the ceiling, the pale yellow light unyielding in the room. The sound of dripping water echoed within the steel enforced walls and Rogue hid a grin. Both the light and the sound were all means of mental torture and Kitty was obviously not ashamed to use them.

Turning slightly she scanned the room catching sight of Scott laying curled into a fetal position in the corner. His soft snore an indication that he was sleeping, walking silently over to him she kicked him in the gut and all but dropped his meal, “Foods here bitch.”

Crying out at the agony of a kick to ribs already bruised Scott gasped and choked as he rolled over, making his knees only through strength of will. Glancing up to see Rogue standing there eying him like he was some sort of insect he swallowed nervously but held his tongue.

“Better eat up princess,” Rogue chuckled harshly, “The Kitster might not be so generous tonight.”

Watching her stalking toward the door Scott shook his head and glanced down at the plate, “I’m sorry.”

Pausing before the door at the weakly spoken words Rogue turned her head slightly and smirked, “I doubt that very strongly Cyclops. You have no idea what regrets are…but you will. See I think we should have a talk, but I’m gonna make sure Kitster’s okay with it before we do. I’m not the girl you tossed to the wolves anymore. Now, now I fit my code name to a ‘T’.”

“I should have made them listen,” Scott winced as he sank back against the wall and stared at the woman before him. “I should never have let any of you go. It was a mission better suited to Logan, to myself.”

“It was a setup,” Rogue hissed and stalked toward him. Grabbing hold of him at his throat she lifted, her face pressed close to his, “You threw us away like trash. We were beneath your contempt, your disregard, but now we’re not. Now we’re stronger, we’re trained, we’re professionals. See I talked the girls into something, talked Logan into something and you know we’re having a helluva time with it. This time next week, Jean’s gonna be begging… and I do mean begging for mercy. She may think you’re dead, she may even be mourning your demise but she’s not suffering yet!”

“Please, don’t do something you’ll regret. This isn’t you Rogue, this isn’t…”

“Isn’t what?” Rogue asked sweetly, innocently, “Oh you have no idea who I am. See any debt I owed you bastards was paid in full when they cut me open and poured boiling metal onto my bones. Only the fact that I’d retained Logan’s healing abilities, and the drugs they pumped me full of kept me alive. See what you and the rest of your ‘friends’ did is reawaken Frankenstein. And we’re not about to go back to sleep.”

Swallowing painfully as Rogue dropped him Scott watched her walk away, the glare of the light minimal as she opened the door to reveal a familiar figure leaning against the wall.

Blinking as Rogue stood in the open door and Logan pushed off the wall and approached her. The sight of the gruff man’s hands sliding around Rogue’s waist to rest low on her back, over her buttocks was enough to rid Scott of his appetite, and he closed his eyes at the soft moan from Rogue when Logan pulled her tightly into him and kissed her through a shimmering piece of silk.

“Mm, you taste good. Let’s go to our room,” the words were low enough not to be obvious but loud enough that Scott knew Logan didn’t care that he’d heard them.

“Yeah,” Rogue turned slightly and chuckled at Scott’s slumped figure, “Let’s go fuck, it’s done for the day.”

The chuckle from Logan had Scott struggling not to cry openly, not to allow them to break him. When the door closed and the only sounds were the pounding of his own heart, his breathing, and that annoying drip of water he’d been unable to find Scott let the strength ebb from his body and he slumped onto the floor to sob silently. Huge racking sobs that tore through his battered body awakening the aches and the pain from Kitty’s last visit.

Laying there staring at the crude meal he’d been given, Scott couldn’t bring himself to hate them though, fear them yes, hate them…no. They’d suffered so much, been to hell and survived it there was no wonder they’d changed, hardened, become more like…Logan! Scott blinked at the thought, yes that was it, the girls had hardened into something very much like Logan. Crass, gruff, unyielding, self-aware and yet they each bore a remarkable grasp of honor and it was that honor that had kept him alive this long.


With one arm wrapped around Rogue’s shoulders Logan led her back down the hallway, away from Scott’s holding cell. He hated the way Rogue got whenever she was around Scott, the cold, impersonal woman that was more like a machine than a flesh and blood person but he refused to make her change, refused to take away her sense of self-worth, her control.

“How’d it go today?” Logan whispered softly, a gentle touch from Rogue had him glancing at her.

“It hurts Logan,” Rogue whispered, “He deserves whatever he gets but still…I don’t want to be like them. I don’t want to use whatever means I can to make someone else hurt. I know Jubilee doesn’t either. Kitty’s so deeply mired in her grief in her rage that she’s forgotten the woman underneath the scars.”

Logan nodded and sat on a bench in the hallway, pulling her into his lap he sighed, “All we can do is help her find her way Marie. Offer her support; offer her a rock to lean on… a shoulder to cry on. Let her heal.”

“How can we do that? We know where she’s coming from, know what’s going on in her mind and we can understand her need for violence.”

Logan sighed and leaned his head back against the wall. How could he explain what had taken him years to learn, how could he make them see that the road they were walking was fraught with pot-holes the size of Niagara Falls, twists and curves that would disguise the fact that those on it were never making any ground.

“I wish I could make it go away kid,” Logan started, tracing her curves through her clothes, his caresses slow, languid, soothing rather than arousing, “I really do. I know where she’s coming from, I understand that but you have to understand something. This is a lesson we can’t learn for her.”

“But it’s killing her! She’s spent the past few nights crying herself to sleep, this morning she was up pacing the halls to stand and stare at the cell door and cry. This isn’t what she wants, but I don’t know how to tell her that she doesn’t have to do this.”

Nodding Logan sighed and glanced up at the soft sounds of footfalls. Spotting Rebecca and Helen coming toward them he glanced at Rogue, “You miss a therapy session?”

“I don’t think so.”

“I see you two are comfortable,” Helen smiled at both of them.

“Just discussing stuff,” Logan replied gruffly.

“Good then you can help us,” Helen sank to the floor and leaned against the wall, her ankles crossed gracefully, “Under Rebecca’s suggestion Kitty’s been sedated. There’s an indication that she may be using physical violence on Cyclops as a way of relieve sexual tension.”

“What?” Rogue gaped at Helen.

“It would appear that Kitty’s blatant hostility toward the man has more to do with her desire to sleep with him than to hurt him. Making him beg and plead for the pain to stop has awakened the memories that she’s never put to rest. The ones from the lab, in her mind she sees that as a good thing. She doesn’t feel as though she’s a sexual being, and so she’s going to take it out..”

“So what are you saying?” Logan leaned forward. “She wants Cyke?”

“She did have a big crush on him for the longest time,” Rogue pointed out a frown of concern on her face.

“That crush may have manifested itself into other means.”

“Do you think she’ll grow more violent toward him?”

“Yes. The more she begins to revive those feelings, the more she thinks of him as a sexual object as it were the more likely she is to strike out,” Helen glanced at Rebecca. “We think it would be wise to release him before she kills him.”

“Let her,” Logan snapped angrily. “Prick deserves what he’s getting.”

“That may be Logan,” Rebecca stated calmly, “But its hurting Kitty. What she needs to do is work out a means of sexual exploration that would allow herself to become aware that she is a sexual person, that she’s not an object, not something to be hurt and abused.”

“There’s nobody here that’ll do that,” Rogue gaped at the woman. “You’re talking about Kitty having access to someone sexually just so she learns that she’s not dirty…”

“Yes Streaks I am. Katharine is on the precipice of a very dangerous cliff. If she falls, if she doesn’t allow herself to heal from this it will have far reaching, deadly consequences for her.”

Glancing at the two women Rogue sighed and moved back against Logan, glancing at him she bit her lip, “What about Logan?”

“Hell no,” Logan shook his head, “First of all I don’t see a woman when I look at her. I see a kid in pigtails! She’s not sexual to me; it would be like trying to get a hard-on for my own daughter.”

“Well we have to do something.”

Helen glanced at them then sighed, “What about Cyclops?”

“Uh you do realize she’s been beating the shit out of him?” Logan chuckled at the thought.

“Yes, which means it’s perfect. If we can make him understand that it’s a therapeutic means for her…”

“He may just be willing to become her ‘fuck-toy’,” Rogue rose to her feet and began pacing. “Would he do it though?”

“I’ll talk to him,” Logan volunteered with a sly grin, “I’m sure I can talk him into it.”

Rogue looked pointedly at him before shaking her head and turning her attention to Helen and Rebecca, “Does anyone else know about this?”

“Just Tank and that’s only because he’s her treating physician.”

“What does Kitty have to say about it?”

“She refuses to think about sex,” Rebecca stated, “Says it’s a painful, degrading exercise and she wants none of it.”

“We need to do it,” Rogue glanced at Logan, “This isn’t just about sex, this is about letting Kitty heal enough to let go. She needs to know that her scars aren’t bad, that they aren’t marks of filth, but marks of glory, of her status as a woman.”

With a quick nod Logan rose to his feet and cracked his neck, “I’ll go talk to our pretty boy and see what he says.”

“Don’t kill him,” Rogue warned and caught the grin Logan tossed her way. “I mean it!”
Chapter 11 by Shadowlady
The creaking of his cell door opening had Scott tensing as the tall, muscled frame of Wolverine stepped inside. Noticing the extended claws and the feral look in Logan’s eye Scott swallowed his fear jacking up more than if Kitty had walked in.

Keeping silent he watched Logan circling the room, his gaze never leaving the other man, his claws flicking in and out.

“You uh didn’t eat, not hungry?” Logan ground out nudging the tray with his booted foot.

“I didn’t feel like it,” Scott licked his lips.

“Well you should, just to keep your strength up,” Kneeling next to the leaner man Logan leaned in toward him, a hand grabbing a fistful of hair and pulling it back slightly. “You see we’ve decided something, and you’re gonna do it regardless what you say or want. If you don’t,” Logan chuckled slightly and traced a claw across Scott’s throat, “I’ll send bits and pieces of you back to Jeannie for a month.”

“I’m not going to help you,” Scott ground out angrily. “You’re nothing but an animal.”

“Perhaps, but as said animal, I’m the one in control,” Wolverine snarled in his ear. “You are going to help Kitty heal and you’re going to do it with a big assed grin or you’ll deal with me. I think we both know you can’t win, you don’t have your eyes anymore!”

“One day I’ll be free of this collar and then I’m gonna…” Scott winced in pain at the slice of adamantium through flesh.

“You’re gonna suck cock,” Wolverine growled. “I’d whip your ass in half a heartbeat and we both know it. Now then, you’re gonna do what I tell you and you’re gonna take whatever Kitty hands you and like it. You and your friends have no idea what you’re in for and I’m gonna enjoy watching her take you apart and put you back together. Now then, since I know she’s gonna be unavailable for a while I’m gonna go get a few things and you’re gonna have some quiet time. Don’t fuck this up, or I’ll let Rogue tear you apart.”

Rising Logan shoved Scott aside and ambled out the door. A few moments later he returned with a file folder in one hand and an icy beer in the other, “Now since I’ve seen these I know what’s in this folder. You are going to study them until you’re so comfortable with them that you wouldn’t blink if you saw ‘em again.”

Dropping the folder on the floor at Scott’s feet Logan raised the beer to his lips and took a long swallow his dark eyes on Scott who stared at the folder carefully, like one would a deadly snake coiled to strike.

“Open it Scott,” Logan taunted, “See what the results of your handy work was.”

When Scott made no move to open the folder Logan moved quickly, lithely and rip the folder open for him. He ignored the way Scott blanched and the almost desperate rate he kept swallowing at the picture that lay on top… a picture of a girl who he’d known before.

“Study it. I’ve got all night and I’m gonna be damn sure that you won’t even think of withdrawing from her when it’s time.”

“What are you planning on doing with me?” Scott whispered pushing the picture of a mutilated body aside only to discover that there were more, that each one was more horrific then the last. “You going to do this to me?”

“No,” Logan shook his head, “We’re gonna let Kitty learn to accept those marks, and you’re gonna help her as well.”

“How?” Scott swallowed painfully.

“By showing her you find her an attractive, sexually desirable woman. One that you’d like to fuck…make love with,” Logan shrugged quickly, “If you don’t, you’ll be dealing with me and Rogue, and Jubilee and the girls are more dangerous than I am because they hate what you stand for even more than I do!”

Listening to the infernal sound of water dripping Scott stared down at the folder, memorizing each picture, each image even as his imagination put the cuts, the scars to the face he remembered. The sounds of water faded to be replaced by screams, by begging, by sobs as he imagined what she’d gone through, what she’d survived. Looking up at Logan who merely lounged against the wall, a dark, pensive look upon his face as he stared at the scattered photographs on the floor.

“I…I didn’t know,” Scott whispered softly staring at the picture of a bright, upbeat young woman darkened by hate, and abuse. “They’re lucky they survived.”

“Luck had nothing to do with it,” Logan ground out, “They fought hard to survive. They learned tricks to getting past the guards, learned how to manipulate their minds, their bodies to survive.”

“They shouldn’t have been on that mission,” Scott whispered softly, “I said so. I tried to make it clear I was against it and they…”

“Save the poor me I tried speech,” Logan ground out angrily, “It doesn’t wash with me. Far as I’m concerned you self centered prick you deserve to rot with them but since you’re here, since Kitty’s comfortable enough to pound on you, you get to be the guinea pig and help her out.”

“How? I can’t undo this sort of damage.”

“You’re gonna give her back her sexuality.”

Scott looked at Logan in shock, “I won’t do it. I’m not about…”

“Jean’s the least of your concerns. Consider it payback for being a total fuckin’ prick to them. Consider this either you do it,” Logan moved closer and pulled another set of pictures from his pocket, “Or I let them have you… and they won’t be so nice.”

Staring down at the ravaged face of Jubilee and the anger in Rogue’s gaze Scott swallowed harshly and closed his eyes, “Fine. I’ll do whatever I have to stay alive…doesn’t mean I have to like it.”

Logan laughed coldly, harshly, “Then start praying. Because after tonight the only thing you’re gonna understand is Kitty’s point of view.”

The slam of the door left Scott feeling more alone and isolated then anything ever had. Staring down into the pain filled eyes of a girl he’d once known Scott shook his head, he’d done this. He’d had a hand in putting those scars on the girls and now… now he had to atone for his deeds or pay the consequences!



Staring at the drably dressed young man who smirked back at her Jean couldn’t shake the sensation of pure pain that soaked through her shields. “Can I help you?”

“You Dr. Grey?”

“Yes,” Jean replied with a firm nod.

“Sign here please,” he handed her a clipboard and a small package.

Tearing into the package Jean pulled out a small box and a disk. Glancing at the young delivery man who merely smirked at her she swallowed and opened the box, “It’s not customary for a courier to wait while the package is opened.”

“I’m not your usual courier,” the man replied coldly, “I wanna see your reaction.”

“You know where Scott is don’t you?” Jean whispered sensing that the man knew something about her husband.

“You could say that,” the man chuckled at Jean’s affronted look. “Open the package…or would you rather I did it?”

“I’ll do it. It doesn’t concern you,” Jean snapped opening the package and pulling out blood stained tissue paper, uncovering the object within the box she clamped a hand over her mouth to still the urge to throw up as it fell to the floor and bounced across the room.

Catching the light was a familiar black visor, coated in a thick crust of dried blood and badly damaged on one side, “Scott?”

“Consider it a warning bitch,” the young man rose to his full height. “You crossed the wrong ones this time.”

“I don’t understand, I don’t know…” Jean whispered painfully.

“Welcome to our world. If you’re really lucky you might get something back of him, but I doubt it. Last time I checked in there wasn’t a whole lot left after the rats got to him.”

“Get out!” Jean choked, “Just GET OUT! You have no idea…”

The clink of metal on marble had her glancing down to the small object that rolled across the floor and collapse next to her foot. Sobbing silently she stared at the bloody band that stared back at her. Picking it up without bending down she swallowed painfully even as she heard a low chuckle and the sound of boots on the floor. The closing of the door was abnormally loud in her ears but she barely moved at it.

“Dear God no!” she whispered collapsing into a heap on the floor, her body wracked with sobs.




The sounds of sobs from within the cell had Rogue shuddering slightly but she refused to enter. The conversation she’d had with her only reinforced Rogue’s determination to allow Kitty some chance at normalcy. Perhaps she’d never have a real sexual relationship but she couldn’t hide behind the layers and the scars forever.

“How’s it going darlin’,” Logan asked sinking next to her.

“She hasn’t stopped crying since just after she went in there,” Rogue replied seriously. “This has been the hardest two days I’ve had in a long time.”

“She’s healin’,” Logan replied seriously flinching at the crash from inside the cell, “And Scooter’s gonna be sore for a while. I’d say that’s a good thing.”

Rogue smiled sadly, “She used to love him y’know? She used to want to be with him, want to touch him and now all she sees is a punching bag.”

“Reason enough for him to rebuild the bridges between them,” Logan replied. “I may hate him but don’t think he’d do something to hurt her purposely.”

“But he..”

“Protested your assignment,” Logan sighed, “he wasn’t lying about that. He didn’t think you three could handle the mission and he made that clear to Chuck and Jeannie and they out voted him.”

“We should tell Kitty,” Rogue shifted, gathering herself to rise.

“No, it’s not up to us,” Logan stared at Rogue, “Besides; Kitty isn’t going to believe it.”

“I guess not. Sinking back against him Rogue sighed, “Well I guess we sit here and wait.”

“No, let’s go for a walk. It ain’t like she’s gonna kill him. He’s much too important to her alive.”

“Edward say anything about how they reacted to our ‘parcel’?”

“Just that Dr. Grey looked devastated but he thinks it was more shock than grief.”

“Yeah that would suit the bitch,” Rogue growled as Logan ushered her down the hallway away from Kitty and Scott’s cell.


“You’re lying,” Kitty hissed kicking Scott as she moved past him. “Nobody wants me; nobody wants someone as ugly and dirty as I am.”

“You aren’t ugly or dirty,” Scott gasped painfully, “You’re just reacting to being hurt.”

“Fuck you Scooter,” Kitty hissed getting right in his face. “We’ve been here for two days and not once in all that time have you said something that I’d believe. I know what my friends are hoping but you know it ain’t gonna work. I’d rather spend the rest of my life eating shit then let you touch me.”

“Really? Cause from where I’m standing you don’t have a leg to stand on. You’re doing exactly what they did. You’ve become the enemy Kitty.”

“You’re the enemy,” Kitty replied and stepped away from him only to find herself jerked back and pressed against his body, her arms held tightly. “Let me go!”

“No. You’re not the girl I remember; you’re not even a pale imitation. You let those bastards that hurt you win because you surrendered. You don’t see Jubilee walking around acting like some sort of machine, Rogue’s living again. They’re stronger than that, stronger than you. If you really want to win, you really want to be that tough image you seem to think you have this isn’t the way to do it.”

“What would you know? You’re so far up Dr. Grey’s ass you wouldn’t know what real emotion was if it slapped you.”

“Really?” Scott hissed, ignoring her squirming and protesting. “Why haven’t you fazed through me? You’re capable of doing that and yet you haven’t? Why?”

“Fuck you.”

“Such language Katharine,” Scott tsked. “You can’t that’s why. There’s a part of you that you gave away to those bastards, you let them make you into this…this pale imitation.”

“You finished?” Kitty asked, her tone cold, her voice low.

“No. I’m not.”

“Well I am,” Kitty snarled and jerked backwards sending both of them teetering before they crashed to the floor, Kitty pinned beneath Scott’s heavy weight. Kicking and gasping Kitty couldn’t scream instead she struggled and when that didn’t seem to be working she gave in, surrendered and just lay there her hands pressed to her eyes, sobbing painfully.

The sound of her sobs tore at Scott but he refused to move, there was too much at stake to just forget and forgive. He needed to know, needed to see for himself that Kitty was healing the same as Jubilee and Rogue. He’d glad take the shit and abuse as long as she realized she didn’t have to fight the part of that wanted to be touched.

“Shh,” Scott shifting pulling her closer and sitting up, wrapping her in an embrace and rocking with her, “Just let it go Kitty, let the pain out.”

Clinging to him Kitty sobbed her mind at war with her body. One wanted to run, to hide from touch, to save herself the pain it would bring, the other was more traitorous, more dangerous it merely wanted to curl into the warmth of the body next to it and relish the contact.

The touch of warm, moist lips at her temple only made Kitty cry all that much harder and she curled into herself, rocking within Scott’s grasp as she tried to assimilate the knowledge of what she knew and what she’d experienced and how much that had altered her thought process.

“Talk to me,” Scott whispered, “Tell me what’s going through you mind Kitty. Let me help you.”

Kitty shook her head, “I can’t,” she ground out. “I won’t let you have that much of me. Not again, never, ever again.”

“You know you weren’t to blame for what they did. They hurt you because of their own sick minds, not because of anything you did. You’re no different to me now then you were back before the mission,” Scott whispered and let Kitty cry on his chest. He had no doubt that once she’d regained control he’d get a pounding but for now he’d let her ease her own pain in a way she could. Whispering softly, soothingly Scott sat there until the sobs had faded into broken, gasping breaths which faded into a deep, even rhythm that told him she’d fallen asleep.

Leaning his head back against the wall Scott swallowed and let go of his own control, letting the tears fall shamelessly. They had so much to make up for, so many wrongs that had to be righted and he wasn’t entirely confident that they could do that.
Chapter 12 by Shadowlady
Scott flinched at the light that met his gaze as he stepped out onto the porch. A soft click next to his shoulder told him that an armed guard stood watch and he turned his head to stare at the tall, dark haired woman who eyed him with cold indifference a semi-automatic in her hand.

“Don’t make me regret agreeing to this,” the woman hissed, “Kitty won’t have any remorse if I blow your head off.”

Nodding slowly Scott stepped off the porch and over to the patch of grass where a slim, silent figure sat. Swallowing painfully he tried to hide his wince of pain as he moved, as he’d expected Kitty had been less than pleased to find herself in his arms when she woke up.

In fact she’d flown into a rage that had ultimately put him in the sickbay for a week. A long week full of painful exams, cold indifference from the treating physician, and Logan’s smug face. Those, however, had been the positive things he’d spent hours staring at the ceiling seeing photos of what Kitty had endured what Jubilee had endured and he wondered about Rogue. She didn’t bear the same scars, matter of fact she had none but that could be a side affect of having Logan’s healing ability.

“So they let you out did they?” Kitty’s voice was cold, harsh, disgust racing through it.

Scott shrugged, “I’m on a healing pass. You busted me up pretty good this last time.”

“You had it coming. So what did you do while I was out, huh? Get your jollies?”

Scott sighed, “I never touched you Kitty. I let you cry yourself to sleep, and held you that’s it.”

“Sure, and if I believe that I’m a virgin.”

With a pained smile Scott glanced at Kitty, “Were you? Before..?”

With a snort Kitty went to get to her feet only to freeze at his warm touch on her arm. Glaring at him she jerked away from him, “Don’t touch me.”

“Answer the question,” Scott shot back.

With a sad shake of her head Kitty stared at him, “Does it matter?”

“Maybe not to you, but it does to me. You’ve always been a special person to me,” staring out at the open field Scott shrugged, “I guess I just forgot for a minute about that.”

“Tell it to someone who might believe you. I remember your wife..”

“Jean wouldn’t..”

“No?” staring at him in a cold, icy rage Kitty snorted, “Do you know she told Rogue she’d never be enough for a man like Logan? She told her that Logan wanted her, that he wasn’t interested in a child. She told her that so often that Rogue started to doubt herself that she started to doubt what Logan told her. In a way this showed Rogue the truth.”

Scott nodded, “So you gonna bust me up some more or what?”

“Fuck off,” Kitty snarled and stomped back toward the house, missing the slight smile on Scott’s face.

For the few moments he was allowed out Scott soaked up the sun, the air, relishing his freedom from the dankness of his cell. When the sound of a throat being cleared drew his attention he rose and headed for the house. He still hadn’t made any decision about what to do to help Kitty but at least now he knew she could be helped.

Whether she knew it or not Kitty had unwittingly given him a clue as to what she needed from him and he was determined to get his mind wrapped around that.


*”Sweet little whore, gonna make you bleed. Stupid mutant freak, ain’t even a good slut, gettin’ all loose on me..” the words were filled with cruel laughter, even as the light flashed on the surgical tools in the man’s beefy hand.

Screaming at each prick of the needle she struggled as much as she could with two other guards holding her in place, knowing the pain would only get worse when the suturing was finished.

“I like my whore’s tight and you ain’t but I’ll fix that, make sure you’re nice and tight when I fuck you.”

Rough hands pulled her up, forcing her onto her hands and knees as he moved behind her, the sound of his zipper loud in her ears even as she struggled, trying to ignore the harsh grip on her hair, the painful biting fingers digging into her hips. Screaming as he thrust into her, tearing out the fresh stitches she sobbed with each movement of his hips. The rough grip on her breasts barely penetrated the pain, the sharp sting of bites only adding to her torment…*

“Kitty, Kitty wake up! It’s okay, you’re safe,” Rogue shook Kitty who lay in her bed screaming her body twisting and turning in an attempt to escape whatever was happening within her mind. Grabbing the girl she pulled her up just as the door flew open, a moment later Rogue was sitting on the floor when Kitty woke, phasing through the bed and disappearing into the closet.

“What’s wrong?” Logan ground out, his claws fully extended.

“Kitty was having a nightmare,” Rogue whispered painfully, “It’s okay now. I think she’s awake enough to realize its us.”

The soft sobs that came from the closet had Rogue staring at her hands, even as she wondered why Jubilee who slept in the next room wasn’t here. “You know where Jubilee is?” Rogue whispered softly.

“With Tank,” Logan whispered back pulling her into his lap, “Kitty its safe now. You can come out if you want.”

“I can’t,” Kitty cried, “He wouldn’t stop, no matter how much I begged, no matter how many times in a day he wanted to do that, he just did it over and over again. I just…”

“Look kid, you can do this. You survived, sure you didn’t get back what was taken but you’re out now, you’re free.”

“But look at me!” Kitty sobbed, “I’m a monster. Even I know that.”

“You aren’t a monster,” Logan shot back with a glance at Rogue who shrugged, tears streaking down her face. “The monsters were the ones at the lab, you’re just a woman.”

“Whatever,” Kitty cried softly, “I know the truth.”

“Why don’t you ask someone who’s not prone to tellin’ the truth to you? Let’s ask Scooter.”

The increase in heartbeat told him that Kitty wasn’t too interested in that idea even as she stepped out of the closet door and stared at him. “What’s he got to loose if he tells you what you want to hear?’

“His head?”

With a chuckle Logan nodded, “You want me to come with you?”

Kitty chewed on her bottom lip, sniffling slightly before shaking her head, “No. No I’ll do it on my own. It’s so much more fun for me that way!”

Hiding his grin Logan held Rogue tighter and watched as Kitty dressed in her tank top and boxer shorts head for the holding area. “Somehow I think Scott’s about to get a very rude awakening!”

Giggling through her tears Rogue nodded, “Kitty is kinda hard on him.”

“He likes it though,” Logan replied standing up with her in his arms, “Now then, let’s get back to bed. Seems to me I owe you a backrub.”

Snuggling into Logan’s arms Rogue sighed, she tried desperately to hide her own nightmares from the man holding her. Something that was getting easier with time, after all he knew what she had gone through, he’d endured the same and worse.


Stalking down the hallway, Kitty fingered the key in her hand even as she stopped in front of a plain looking door. A small observation window had been covered and bolted, and the handle glared back at her.

Smirking slightly Kitty glanced up and down the hallway before putting the key in the lock and stepping silently into the room. The lone occupant of the room lay on a blanket in the corner, his body curled in on itself to ward off the chill, a soft sore clearly heard.

Balling her hands into fists she let the door click closed in silence before padding silently across the floor to stare down at a sleeping Scott. Feeling an old and slightly resented feeling burning within her Kitty swallowed harshly. It was time to wake the prick up, and she wasn’t going to be nice about it… experience had taught her that sleep was a privilege, not a right and nobody in a cell deserved it.
Chapter 13 by Shadowlady
“Hey Dickhead wake up,” Kitty snarled aiming a quick kick at Scott’s side, only to gasp when his hand shot out to catch her ankle, halting the attack. Kicking within his grasp she stumbled, trying valiantly to keep her balance even as he shifted to look up at her with a cold, tired look in his eyes.

“What the fuck do you want?” Scott hissed, anger bubbling within him easily at having his peaceful dreams disturbed.

“For me to know and you…you to suffer.”

Swallowing at the words Scott shifted; pushing away from Kitty with almost a insane disgust, “What’s the matter Kitster, can’t get off without the pain?” he taunted her and watched her eyes harden even more.

“When I get done with you, you’re gonna wish you’d never been born,” she hissed and leaned down to him, “Get your ass up off the floor. I wanna play.”

Rising slowly, still painfully Scott watched as Kitty eyed him much like a hungry wolf would watch a tender lamb. Trying to control the knots forming in his stomach he waited impatiently, praying that whatever she wanted didn’t require him to move too much his body was still sore from the last pounding she’d given him.

Flinching when Kitty grabbed the drawstring of his scrubs Scott remained passive as she jerked them undone and let them pool around his ankles. Something told him that this wasn’t going to be nice, that the beatings would pale in comparison to what she wanted.

Watching the fear touch in his eyes Kitty smirked to herself, she wanted control, wanted the power and she’d get it…or Scott would be wishing he’d never seen her. Trailing a hand down his scrub covered chest she eyed the offending piece of fabric before grabbing the neck and jerking, relishing the tearing of cotton.

The way Scott flinched and jumped, his muscles tightening only drew a bigger bit of glee from her, increased her feeling of empowerment. When he was naked Kitty stepped back and eyed him, despite his captivity he was still toned, still in extremely good physical shape.

Her nails raked across his nipples drawing a quickly sucked in breath even as she stopped to twist them slightly before moving further down his body, following the natural path of his own hair.

As if sensing where this was going Scott stepped back, his gaze hard on Kitty’s even as she smiled and shifted, following him until he’d backed himself into a corner. “You can’t hide from me bitch, you’re just another little piece of meat to me.”

“No I’m not,” Scott muttered watching her closely. Not even the fear of Jean’s reaction to him cheating could dampen the fear that Kitty wasn’t in charge of her mind. “So why don’t you spit it out what you’re after..” he swallowed at the sudden flash of pale skin and a hard grip on his throat, a knee dangerously close to his groin.

“I’ll make you a deal,” Kitty whispered softly, nuzzling against his jaw, her tongue going out to swipe at the stubble from one too many days without a shave, “I think you’ll like it to.”

“What kind of deal,” Scott gasped frozen in place. Despite her rough treatment he had never resented her; she was only reacting as she’d been conditioned to.

“I’ll go a little easier on you,” Kitty purred softly moving closer to him, her leg sliding down to lock around his, her foot caressing his calf, “If you do something for me.”

Scott merely stared at her expectantly, waiting for something that he wasn’t sure he could do.

“You just have to pass this ol’ test,” Kitty’s grip loosened on his throat and she trailed her hand down his chest, caressing him with a tenderness that scared him more than the brutality he’d witnessed.

Swallowing Scott remained silent, she’d tell him what she wanted him to know and he wasn’t going to go poking where he shouldn’t. One broken rib was enough to stop that line of thinking.

When she stepped back a few inches Scott stared at her dispassionately, his gaze steady on her face even as she smirked at him and reached for the elastic of her boxers. A moment later the dark colored material pooled around her ankles, and her fingers were plucking at her top.

Logan’s threat was loud in his ears as Scott watched the dark cotton of her t-shirt go sailing past his shoulder to land on the floor next to him. His self-protective instincts screaming at him Scott remained steady even as Kitty smirked at him.

“Look at me,” Kitty whispered, moving against him with a familiarity Scott felt chilling. Jumping when her cold fingers wrapped around his flaccid penis Scott kept his silence.

“What’s the matter? I don’t have red-hair so I’m not worth a fuck?” Kitty taunted softly as she slid down his body to her knees and smirked up at him. “Close your eyes and pretend if it helps.”

Shaking his head Scott licked his dry lips, “No Kitty, I’m not...aargh.” Smothering a cry at the sudden tightening of her fingers on his tender flesh and the sharp pain of her nails digging into his scrotum Scott reached for her hand.

“You don’t have a choice,” Kitty replied with a cold, impersonal look in her eyes as she leaned forward to lick the head of his penis. “Your options are very, very limited.” With each word she pressed a hot, wet kiss to his awakening length even as he shifted uneasily within her grasp.

“Don’t do this Kitty, please,” Whispering softly Scott wondered what new torment Kitty had in store even as she rose, her hand moving along him to stir the faint ember of interest he’d buried so deeply in his mind that he’d forgotten about it.

“Begging doesn’t work,” Kitty revealed softly, a haunted look in her eyes even as she shifted, rising to her feet and pressed down on his shoulder, all but forcing him to his knees.

Recognizing the various scars from the photo’s he’d memorized Scott didn’t even flinch at Kitty’s victorious look, “And what’s the deal?”

Kitty leaned closer to him, her warm flesh pressing against his, “You’re gonna give me back what they stole. You’re gonna do it for me or I’m gonna make you very, very sorry!”

Staring into dark eyes hardened by her own shadows Scott swallowed and remained passively in place, he knew there would be no help from those outside, there could be none. He was after all partially responsible for what Kitty was going through, just because it wasn’t his body that had forced itself into the girl’s didn’t mean he was any less free of his share of blame.

As if sensing her victory Kitty shifted, one eyebrow climbing carefully even as her eyes cleared slightly, warming before the tenderness, the old Kitty was quickly extinguished. The harsh grip of her hand in his hair told him more than anything that she wouldn’t hesitate to inflict pain that she could, and probably would use torture and mutilation to get what she wanted.

“An eye for an eye, huh?” Scott whispered softly before shifting, moving closer to Kitty. “Penance for my sins.”

The cold smile that flirted across Kitty’s face did little to ease his worries, or his guilt. Instead it reinforced what he’d come to realize…the woman standing before him wasn’t the girl who’d taken on a mission to retrieve a young boy; instead she had become exactly what she feared the most. An empty, bitter shell with no way out.
Chapter 14 by Shadowlady
Watching the seasons change Logan began noticing subtle changes in Kitty’s behavior. There were days when she was so depressed she spent most of her time crying, other days she was angry, confrontational, and those days he could actually smell the blood coming from within Scott’s cell.

Access to the other man was limited until even that was halted by Kitty who had taken to hiding the keys. Checking Kitty over one afternoon Logan inhaled an all too familiar scent, one he had long ago stopped looking for.

For the first time since he’d come to Elk Hump Kitty smelled happy. Spotting her out in the yard he glanced once behind him, aware of Rogue’s habit of having an afternoon nap. The small smile that crossed his face drew a smirk from Tank but other than that no outward sign of acknowledgement.

“Hey kiddo,” Logan dropped to a crouch next to the young woman.

“Hi Logan,” Kitty glanced at him before turning her attention back to the horses in the field. “How’s Rogue?”

“Tired,” Logan sighed, “She’s spent a lot of time lately trying to master the control of her claws, it’s wearing her out.”

“Yeah, I uh saw her last night. She seemed frustrated by something the way she was pounding on one of the bags in the gym.”

“Worried I’m leavin’ again,” Logan admitted. “I wanna head south, scope out Xavier’s place..”

“Don’t bother,” Kitty sighed and shrugged, “Am I a bad person?”

“No, just a mixed up kid who got the shitty end of the stick.”

“Cyclops did it last night,” Kitty whispered tightly.

“Did what?”

Kitty shrugged, “He uh he penetrated me.”

Logan raised an eyebrow in shock but held his tongue.

“Its not the first time, he’s done it a lot in the past few weeks.”

“Last night though was different?”

“Yeah, I actually enjoyed it more than before ya know? I liked the way he touched me, the way he kissed me, and when he went in it didn’t…” Kitty paused flushing brightly.

“Let it out kid, it ain’t anything to be embarrassed about.”

“I kept telling him harder, I wanted him to make me come like that.”

“Did he?” Logan shifted uneasily, not entirely comfortable with talking about her sex life but determined to be of some help.

“Yes,” Kitty smiled slightly, “He gave me multiples last night. He made me come with his mouth, his hands, before he went in me. I didn’t even feel a hint of discomfort, of pain from him taking me.”

“Could just be size you know,” Logan pointed out. “Smaller…”

“No, no that’s not it,” Kitty replied before leaning toward him, “The guard at the prison was smaller, and that’s one of the reasons he uh he liked to sew me shut before…”

“He’s dead now kid, ain’t nothing to worry about. So if you had some good, solid sex last night why you sitting out here?”

“I think its time I sent Scott back to New York,” Kitty revealed after a few moments of collecting her thoughts. “As much as I might enjoy tormenting him, I don’t think its fair to me or to Jubes or Rogue. If we want to have closure, have our lives restored than we need to act like mature women. We need to show Xavier that we’re worth more than his little cause was.”

“And you think letting him go will do that?”

“I think it’s a step in the right direction,” Kitty replied softly a far away look in her eyes. “Xavier wouldn’t be so generous; he wouldn’t know the meaning of letting an enemy become a friend. I’m still not ready to forgive and forget but Scott’s proven himself so yeah, I think it’s time to kick his ass back to New York.”

Logan shrugged, “It’s your decision. I know the girls might not be happy about it but if you’re sure…”

Kitty stared at her hands for a moment before turning and looking at him, “They want me to heal, to regain what the lab stole from me. Keeping Scott here, hurting him, raping him doesn’t make me a better person, doesn’t make me the woman I deserve to be.”

“Something tells me that it’s been a while since you’ve actually raped the pansy-assed twist.”

“Do you think he’ll tell Jean?”

Logan chuckled smoothly, the sound like warm, soothing bourbon, “It ain’t if he’ll tell her, Jean’s gonna read his mind and she’ll doubt what she finds. After all, you really can’t rape the willing and Scott ain’t ever smelled like he’s being forced into doing things for you. Personally, I think all you’ve done is give him one of his greatest fantasies – a chance to bed a girl younger than him, one that’s wanted him, one he’s wanted for a long time.”

“You think so?”

Logan shrugged and rose to his feet, “I know so. Don’t be out here all day kiddo; you’ve still got training with me this afternoon.”

Giggling Kitty nodded and watched him walk away. She would send Scott home, a little worse for wear, a little more battle weary, but he’d go home alive. Rising to her feet Kitty wondered briefly if Xavier would be so willing to embrace his team leader if he was without certain attributes.

Stalking gracefully, completely unaware of the attention she garnered Kitty moved toward the Sickbay. Tank would know what to do, how to help and she wanted the other man’s opinion.

The soft sound of a giggle from within the medical rooms told Kitty Jubilee was here even as she pushed through the door and smirked at her friend who sat on the edge of Tank’s desk.

“I leave you for five minutes and you’re flirtin’ with the only good lookin’ doctor in the building,” Kitty teased gently.

“Hey Kitster,” Jubes smirked at her, “What’s up?”

“Got a question,” Kitty sank into a chair a few feet away from Tank, while she called him friend she wasn’t over anxious to get within arms reach of the big man.

“Fire away,” Tank drawled easily, shifting to lean toward her as his attention was caught.

“There anyway you could take the technology from the collar and put it into a chip or two? I’m sending our guest home; just wanna send him back to ‘em minus his useful attribute.”

Chuckling at Kitty’s words Jubilee hopped off the bed and moved toward the door, “Let me know if you need any help with that. For now I’m gonna go find Rogue, she’s supposed to be training with her claws.”

With muted nods Tank and Kitty waited for Jubilee to disappear out the door. “I take it you’re comfortable in yoru skin then?”

“As far as Rogue and Jubes know I’ve just been pounding the piss outta him, don’t see no reason to make them aware that I’ve been using him to get off,” Kitty drawled fidgeting slightly with her own unease.

“I don’t think they’d think less of you for knowing that. After all you’re merely trying to regain your sense of self.”

“But to do it the way I have?” Kitty shook her head, “No, I’ve paid the price for my sins and I’m not about to advertise the new ones. Do you think you could do it? Make chips that could be implanted?”

Tank sighed and leaned back in his chair, “Yes of course. It’ll take me a couple of days though.”

“We have time,” Kitty replied rising to her feet. “We have lots of it.”



Glancing up at the opening of the door Scott eyed Logan who closed the door and stalked toward him. He’d long since forgotten to fear the feral man advancing toward him; there was nothing he could do that was worse than had already been done.

“Logan.”

“Scott,” Logan smirked at the other man and leaned against the wall. “So I hear you did Kitty a big favor.”

Flushing slightly Scott shrugged, he hadn’t done anything he regretted and if Kitty felt a bit better about herself that was okay to. Not that he had an easy time with it, his sense of honor had warred with his sense of duty, and his loyalty the first few times…honor had won.

“Must’ve been really good,” Logan smirked at the other man’s unease. Faded bruises covered his body, small cuts in crescent shapes raked across his back, and he had a very interestingly colored bruise on his neck. “Was it worth it?”

Glancing sharply at Logan Scott felt his anger boil, felt the rage swell, “What the fuck do you care? Jealous cause its not you?”

Logan shook his head and ambled along the wall, “I got a woman already but thanks for asking. That ain’t what I meant and you know it.”

Letting the rage go Scott sighed, yeah he knew what Logan was talking about. “There are things I could have done without to get it.”

“Oh? Like what?” Logan’s almost tender tone drew a shudder from Scott who shifted, turning to face the man he knew he couldn’t beat.

“The tears,” Scott whispered softly, sadly, “The tensing of muscles, the fear, the anger, the inability to be satisfied the first few times. You have no idea what it’s like so don’t…”

“Oh but I know,” Logan interrupted quickly, “You had to work to make her happy, to please her… and you don’t like that.”

“I don’t like the reason I had to work at it,” Scott snapped back. “Are you gonna beat on me or what cause if not, get the fuck out!”

Logan chuckled and moved closer to Scott, “Don’t tempt me. I like the idea of what’s coming your way soon. You’re gonna have a whole new set of problems to deal with pretty-boy, and none of ‘em are gonna be as understanding as Kitty has been.”

Turning Logan stalked across the room only to stop at the door when Scott’s voice broke the silence, “You stickin’ with them? Are you joining this group?”

Facing Scott Logan shrugged, “I work with Frankenstein not this faction. I made my choice Summers, and it has nothing to do with you.”

“I’m sure you think that. You know when the Xmen find out what you’ve done…”

“They won’t do dick squat,” Logan snarled tightly, “Because you did it first. You made this monster, now let’s see how you handle it.”

“They aren’t monsters!”

“No,” Logan shook his head, “They aren’t. Each one is an individual, a well trained; professional that when put to the test will make you think you’re going against a monster. They’ve learned their lesson and they sure as fuck ain’t gonna forget it any time soon.”

Jumping at the slam of the door Scott stared at the wall and wondered why Logan’s words had done little to reassure him. Instead they’d awakened an old fear that would ultimately weaken his resolve, his dedication to a cause that had proven itself time and again.
Chapter 15 by Shadowlady
The sound of a key in the lock had Scott sitting up groggily and he frowned when he saw Kitty leading a big man inside the room. Tensing as she walked toward him, he took in the dark jeans, the heavy boots, the bike-gloves, and the resolved look upon her face.

Feeling his fear jack up Scott wondered if he begged would she relent or was this the one time she’d finish him off. He knew deep inside that it was what he deserved for not standing up for them but still, he wanted to at least go home and rub it in their faces that they’d been wrong!

“Stand up,” Kitty snapped stopping in front of him and waiting as he slowly climbed to his feet, his eyes darting from her to Tank and back again.

“It took me a while to reach this decision,” Kitty started and glanced at Tank before facing Scott again, “And its one I can live with. I’m not like the men in the lab, nor am I like Xavier so I’m gonna be a nice girl, I’m gonna give you what you really want even as I take something from you.”

“What are you talking about?” Scott asked as the muscle bound man from behind Kitty moved forward a small,metallic looking gun in one hand, “Please Kitty don’t..”

“Shh,” Kitty whispered a finger on his lips. “This will only hurt a moment than you’ll be okay.”

Glancing at Kitty Tank shrugged before pinning the smaller man to the wall with his weight and turning his head. A moment later, a quick swipe of antiseptic and he lined up the laser before squeezing the small, circular chip into the soft flesh of his face. Quick, efficient movements and the other side was done before he stepped back.

“It’s gonna take a day or so for him to learn to control it,” Tank addressed Kitty. “The weekend would be best.”

“Sunday night then,” Kitty nodded and stepped back eying Scott who was holding his head, a pained look upon his face. “Thanks Tank.”

“No problem, there might be some swelling and some bruising as well.”

Kitty nodded and watched Scott while Tank left, closing the door behind him. Easing Scott to the floor as he struggled to deal with the pain in his head and the sickening sensation of something burrowing into his eyes Kitty sighed softly, “I had to Scott. I had no choice.”

“Great,” Scott muttered. “Why are you doing this? Why can’t you just kill me quick and get…”

“I’m not gonna kill you,” Kitty whispered softly, “I’m not a killer…yet. Now its almost lights out, when it gets here, you’re coming with me.”

“Where? Your friend seemed…”

“To my room,” Kitty replied seriously, her tone one of steel. “You still have nearly a week, I wanna at least have the opportunity to be fucked in my own bed.”

“No,” Scott’s hand shot out and caught her arm, glancing up through the haze of red, through the pain he stared at her. “I’ve never fucked you Kitty and I never will.”

“Sure. And I suppose it was someone else’s cock buried inside me the other night.”

“I’m not denying we had sex, I’m saying that we’ve never fucked.”

Giving him an appraising look Kitty shrugged, “Does it matter what you call it? Do you feel better giving it a pretty title?”

Scott sighed and shrugged before wincing at the sudden wave of pain the movement brought. “Trust me on this Kitty, don’t question everything.”

Glancing down at her watch Kitty smirked, “Alright lover, up and at em. Tonight you get to be in luxury.”

Swallowing painfully he followed Kitty who remained silent as she led him out into the hallway and down the hall. Pausing at the faint but distinctive thumping sound coming from behind one of the doors they were in front of Scott glanced at Kitty who smirked and pointed to the door nearest him.

“Logan and Rogue.”

“Rogue?” Scott gasped, “You mean they’re actually..?”

“Lovers?” Kitty nodded, “Have been for a while. Helen gave them a sound proofed room because they tend to keep everyone else awake. Some nights are better than others though,” Kitty started down the hallway toward her room.

Staring at the door for a few moments Scott sighed unable to even get a good head of steam at the way Logan was taking advantage of Rogue. The truth was it hit a little too close to home to patronize the other man, and yet Scott wondered if he really understood the situation. Maybe if he ever got free, if he had a chance to think it through would he understand Logan’s stance or would he…

“Oh Scott,” Kitty’s sing-song voice had him glancing at her and hurrying down the hallway. Completely unaware that his progress was watched via the small black camera that moved with him as he entered Kitty’s bedroom Scott missed Kitty’s small wave and smile before she closed the door.

Nuzzling into Logan’s embrace Rogue smiled as she traced a bare finger over his clothe covered chest, “So why is it that I’m naked? You’re not the one…”

“Because you need to experience this without your clothes on,” Logan growled softly, his gloved fingers buried within her hair. The sheared length had grown considerably and was nearly to her shoulders, odd patches were still shorter but that was merely where the surgical scars impeded the growth.

Smiling softly Rogue shifted, rolling to face him, her body pressed tightly against his as she did so. “Have I told you that I’m really glad you came to us? That you came to me.”

Logan shifted uneasy with emotional talks and yet he knew Rogue needed this, “What else was I gonna do darlin’? I gave you my tags, my word I couldn’t go back on that.”

Biting her lip Rogue sighed, “How’s Kitty doing Logan? Really? I see something within her that reminds me of when we were carefree and young, before the mission, before…”

“She’s come a long way kid,” Logan pulled her closer, his hand trailing gently up and down her arm in a slow caress, “She’s taking control of her mind and body back. She’s far from that girl you knew but she’s getting closer to being the woman she deserves to be.”

“Did she sleep with him?”

“Why? Thinking of takin’ him for a spin?” Logan rumbled.

“No, thinking he should kiss her ass for the hell she endured,” Rogue replied. “They did some really bad things to her, they hurt her in ways nobody should ever be hurt and they did it with laughter, with vile words and smacks and…”

“And you escaped that fate,” Logan interrupted softly. “Only you didn’t Marie, you suffered the same thing the only difference was your torment was surgical, hers was sexual. They violated your body to Marie, and your mind.”

Rogue nodded slowly, her mind trying to wrap around the guilt and the unease at the thought that she’d been unscathed compared to her friends. “I felt guilty for so long Logan, I went in a virgin and came out a virgin.”

Logan hid a smile in her hair at the memory of thrusting through the thin natural barrier that marked his girl as untouched by anyone other than him. “Innocence never lasts long in those places,” Logan muttered and hugged her to him, “None of you got out unscathed. Jubilee’s dealing with her own shit same as you, same as Kitty.”

“She loves Tank, and it’s not hero worship either,” Rogue muttered angrily, “A person doesn’t love everyone who saves them. I don’t love you because of that, I’ve seen every dark thing in your soul Logan, a crush, and hero worship doesn’t last long in a tidal wave of that.”

“I know,” Logan nodded and sighed, he’d seen it in every one of the girls. They’d each latched on something, someone who gave them security, control, and a bit of power. For Jubilee it was attaching herself to someone who was bigger, stronger, more powerful than most men, and yet he was gentle, reassuring, his touch wasn’t filled with violence.

Kitty had aligned herself with the enemy in a sense; she’d taken Scott as a toy and along the way had rediscovered a school-girl’s crush that had blossomed. She would miss the man when he was gone, and yet she’d taken so much from him that she’d never have had the strength to claim without the suffering she’d done. Kitty had gone for power, for control rather than safety.

Rogue, well Rogue had just done what she needed to. She’s fallen back on the one thing in the world she trusted, her tie to him. She’d taken the pain, the suffering, the agony of dealing with the experiments, the improvements and found something else she could relate to in Logan’s mind.

Each had found a rock and leaned on it until they could stand on their own two feet and now they were strong enough to do that. Now their thoughts had turned to humiliation, to retribution from those who’d written them off without a thought.

“Are we gonna make it Logan?” Rogue asked after a few seconds of companionable silence.

Tightening his grip Logan closed his eyes at the lost sound of Rogue’s voice and silently cursed Charles Xavier for the billionth time. “Yeah baby, we’re gonna make it.”

“Good,” Rogue whispered trying desperately to avoid crying, “I’m glad that you’re here Logan, that you want me.”

“Love you darlin’,” Logan grunted tightly, “Of course I want you, I’m always gonna want you.” The smell of her tears and the uneasy way she clung to him told Logan Rogue was on the edge of a cliff and she could fall either way. Knowing she needed to let it go, to relax Logan shifted, pulling her up so she was laying on top of him he wrapped his arms around her tightly, “Let it go darlin’, let it out. We’re safe now.”

Long after Rogue had cried herself to sleep Logan lay away staring at the ceiling, only too aware that Xavier’s penance was coming due. Settling deeper into their bed Logan sighed, when it was time he’d help the girls deliver the bill, and he wouldn’t be as nice as they would. Someone was gonna get skewered, and he would be there to make sure that it was long, painful, and blatantly obvious why.
Chapter 16 by Shadowlady
Cracking his neck Logan watched as Scott slumped against the wall, the sedatives taking affect as soon as Tank stepped away from the man. The soft, easy way he breathed told Logan that the drug had no ill-effects, not that he particularly cared but Kitty did.

This release was her way of reclaiming her humanity, her identity as it was separate from the X-men, the cause, the world. Standing stoically silent as Logan hefted Scott over a shoulder the young woman watched until both men had disappeared down the hallway and into the elevator before glancing at her two friends who stood next to her.

“Anyone up for something to eat?” Kitty asked brightly, a tad too brightly if the girls’ exchanged looks were anything to go by.

“Kitty its okay to feel something for him. You had him a long time,” Jubilee said softly, taking her hand with a smile.

“This isn’t about what I feel for him. This is about what I need, I needed to do this Jubes. He doesn’t understand fully yet but he will.”

“What are you talking about?” Rogue asked.

“Jean’s gonna read his mind,” Kitty glanced between the two women, “You think she’s really going to be overjoyed to know that he fucked me? He’ll be lucky if she lets him touch her by next year!”

“Is that why you did it?”

Kitty paused and shook her head, “No. I needed to prove to myself that I could enjoy it, that it wasn’t all about pain and suffering. I did that, he was of no more use to me.”

Rogue glanced at Kitty then at Jubilee, “Logan wants to head west,” she stated quietly, calmly as they walked down the hallway. “Set up our own place. We’d still work with Helen and her people but we’d have our own space. Granted it wouldn’t be anything grand like here or even at Xavier’s but we’d be able to move freely. Besides, it’d give us a chance to have some security, and plan out how we’re gonna get our closure from Xavier.”

Jubilee nodded slightly, “But what about Tank? I don’t want to leave him behind.”

“Tank already talked to Logan. With three other doctors here he thinks he could manage to come with us. He’d be invaluable to us, and he’s not really fond of you leaving either.”

“Or you could stay here?” Kitty suggested quietly.

Jubilee shook her head firmly, “As great as this place is, as fantastic as these people may be I’m not really comfortable here. Too much like Xavier’s.”

Nodding their understanding the trio smirked, “So let’s get out a map and take a look around. See what we can find for a place of our own then we can tell Logan where we want to go when we’re ready.”

Chuckling the trio headed for Tank’s office to check over the maps he had and make a decision on where to move to. None of them were willing to stay, there were too many people, and too many reminders of how many knew what had happened to them.

In time they’d be comfortable within their own skins, but for the moment they needed space. Besides, they all knew that they needed to stand on their own, to train as one, to build their team into a fighting machine capable to destroying anything and everything they encountered and they couldn’t do that here.

Resolved to their fate they were engrossed within their plans when the door opened silently and a familiar figure wrapped in leather and denim smiled slightly.

“I heard you three were planning something,” Helen’s gentle voice had the trio glancing up.

“Uh yeah, Logan made a suggestion..”

Helen waved off Rogue’s statement, “I know what Logan wants Rogue. He’s thinking about heading west again isn’t he? He doesn’t want to be here, to be so close to the enemy.”

“He doesn’t think of you as the enemy. He still doesn’t get why you’re so touchy feely with him and I’ve given up explaining it but it ain’t you guys.”

“I know. This place is too close to New York. Too close to those he blames for your wounds. I don’t blame him. I wouldn’t want to be this close to the enemy if I could avoid it myself.”

“We owe you for your help,” Jubilee straightened.

Laughing softly Helen shook her head and sat down on the only couch in the room, “No you don’t. You three brought my son home, you’ve given me a chance to see him, to speak with him, to know him again…I’d say any debt real or imagined is taken care of a hundred times over.”

“But don’t you want him to stay close? I mean he’s…”

“A grown man Rogue one who’s been on his own for a long time. I can’t will him back into being my little boy again.”

“Um how old is he?” Rogue asked her expression curious.

Helen grinned, “Old enough to know better and still too young to care.”

“That doesn’t answer my question.”

“No, it doesn’t,” Helen agreed, “But it’s an answer I can’t give you. It would hardly be fair to know Logan’s age when he himself doesn’t know it. I won’t risk alienating him from myself or from you because of that.”

“Would you tell him?”

“I don’t have to,” Helen stated calmly, “He knows it, and it’s just buried in the back of his mind.”

“Typical mother response,” Jubilee giggled softly, “So you aren’t mad?”

Helen laughed gently, “No Jubilation I’m not mad. I’m happy for the four of you, er five I guess. Tank told me he’s planning on moving on, going with you.”

“Sorry to be taking a doctor from you.”

“Don’t be,” Helen smirked at Jubilee, “I’m glad he’s found someone he cares so much about. Besides that, I’m not entirely sure he’s aware of how much work he’s getting himself into.”

Laughing the four women let the vague tensions fade away, aware that their time as a group would be limited until Logan got back.
Chapter 17 by Shadowlady
Rubbing his eyes Scott groaned at the pounding in his head as he glanced around, unsure where they’d taken him. Spotting a familiar landmark he frowned and blinked, hoping to clear his vision.

“The mansion,” he breathed before glancing around uneasily. Something told him he wasn’t dreaming that he was back at home but why? What good would come from releasing him?

Reaching up he touched his face to find a pair of shades over his eyes. Using his fingers he blinked, they weren’t the usual shades he wore; in fact they seemed to be just drugstore type glasses.

Jerking them off without thinking he stared at them, a red haze covered everything like it normally did but he wasn’t blowing holes in anything. Shocked he grabbed for his throat only to find it bare, the collar he’d grown accustomed to absent.

Glancing down he noted he was wearing the same scrubs he’d had while imprisoned, a pair of flip-flops decorated his feet, and that was the extent of his attire. Shaking in his head Scott started for the gate, Jean would be able to tell him what they’d done, why he didn’t need his visor or glasses.



The sound of the front door opening drew Bobby’s attention from the quiet television and he rose to check it out. Freezing in the doorway he stared at the rather rumpled, battered appearance of the team leader. Gone was the usual impeccable style of the older man, in its stead was a gaunt, tired shell that he barely recognized.

“Mr. Summers, you’re home!”

“Uh yeah,” Scott glanced around uneasily. “Where is everyone?”

“Downstairs. They’re getting ready for another mission.”

“Why are you up here then? Aren’t you on the team?”

“Of course,” Bobby moved carefully, obviously Scott had suffered a great deal of trauma if his memory was affected, “Its just that I’ve had pneumonia and Jeee uh Dr. Grey said not to go on this one.”

Shaking his head Scott barely glanced at Bobby at the slip of his tongue and the flush and guilty look that accompanied it. Instead he turned his attention to the room looking around uneasily before heading for the elevator. He wouldn’t put it passed the team to forget someone on the battlefield if they thought they had to.


“If Storm gives us cover we should be able to get in from the east side of the facility,” Jean’s voice was strong, clear as Scott approached the meeting room.

“Beast you take your team low, our sources indicate that there are at least four mutants there.”

“Affirmative.”

Stepping into the doorway Scott assessed the room quickly, Jean wore her new ‘leader’s’ hat well if the picture of solidarity was anything to go by. Storm, Beast, and two others Scott hadn’t seen before sat around the table, obviously planning an attack on a facility.

“Don’t waste your time,” Scott snapped as he recognized something on the table. Something that haunted him even as he tried to bury the memory. “You couldn’t get past the gate.”

“Scott!” Jean whipped around to stare at him, “What are you...Oh my God are you okay? Thank God you escaped.”

“I didn’t,” Scott stepped back when she went to hug him, unable to bear the thought of being touched. Staring at her he shuddered; Kitty’s rage and loathing firmly entrenched within his mind. He had no doubt that Jean could be manipulative, he’d witnessed it but would she purposely set the girls up? Only time would tell. “Don’t, just don’t touch me.”

“But Scott…”

“You look a tad under the weather my friend; perhaps I should have a look at you. What happened to your eyes?”

“I’m not sure. I’ve had a suppression collar on for a long time, could be that the effects haven’t worn off yet.”

“I’ll get you a visor just in case,” Jean muttered hurrying to grab one for him, shock clearly evident in her face, in her voice.

“Thank you,” taking it Scott put it on and glanced around. “I’m gonna have a shower, and grab something to eat. If I were you, I’d forget about hitting that place.”

“Why? Were you held there? Perhaps you could tell us the security…”

“No, no I wasn’t held there. They rescued me. It’s run by mutants, for mutants. You hit it, you’re asking to get killed,” Scott replied sharply at the query from the strange woman sitting watching the situation. Her blonde hair was cut in a short, boyish style, her eyes were piercing, and she wore a gauntlet much like the one Kitty had worn once, the last night they spent together to be exact.

Meeting her eyes he recognized the smirk, the recognition that was there and swallowed. Whoever the woman was she was part of the Creed Inc. organization and thus was twice as dangerous.

“Good answer,” she drawled rising along with her male counterpart who eyed Scott for a moment before rubbing his temple carefully.

Blinking behind his visor Scott recognized the movement; it was one that he’d seen before, one that matched the smirked expression on the man’s face.

“If we’re not going to hit it for tonight, perhaps we should all get some rest. After all if our intel is inaccurate there is no sense in going,” Storm stated rising smoothly.

“Wise choice,” Scott grumbled beneath his breath even as he stared at the two strangers.

“I’ll get you some clothes,” Jean stated and hurried from the room, followed by Storm who merely glanced at him appraisingly before slipping soundlessly from the room.

After a moment Beast sighed, “Well I shall retire to my lab. If you would like for me to check you over, by all means please summon me.”

Once he was gone the pair smirked at Scott and walked right up to him, “Really good answer Scott saved you from getting your throat cut. Here’s a little message for you, this isn’t over. You may think you’re free of Frankenstein,” the woman whispered softly, “But the truth is, they’re watching you. They’re waiting, planning, and someday they’re gonna come back for you. Oh and your eyes don’t work anymore, they won’t work for a while.”

“Why?”

“Tank’s pretty good at making big things small,” the man stated calmly, “Those shots he gave to your temples implanted suppression chips. They’re invisible to detection, and if you try to remove them they’ll explode taking your head with them.”

“You dropped me off didn’t you?”

“No,” the man shook his head and grinned, “My brother Logan did, we’re only here for the night before we disappear like good little spies should. Have a good sleep, you uh…” he chuckled evilly, “Might want to fuck your wife tonight… that is if you can get it up!”

Laughing softly the pair slipped past Scott and out into the hallway mere moments before Jean showed up with a stack of clothes.

“I’m so glad you’re back. I got your visor and wedding ring and they were covered in blood and I thought,” Jean started hurried.

“I’m really tired Jean. It’s been a long day for me. I think I’m just gonna go have a shower and go to bed,” Scott muttered and walked away, leaving Jean standing in the room alone, her mouth hanging open and shock and horror in her eyes.

He knew he’d have to make up some explanation but he just didn’t have the energy for it at the moment, not until he’d had a chance to think. Right now though he just needed to sleep, needed to forget about the hell he’d witnessed, the misery he’d endured, and the guilt that clung to him knowing that three innocent girls had been twisted into embittered, hardened women because he’d refused to stand up for them more vehemently.
Chapter 18 by Shadowlady
The sound of heels on hardwood echoed in the main hall as Rogue hurried toward the door. She’d seen the van coming up the driveway and wanted to be near Logan, wanted to know he was safe.

Jerking open the door just as the van came to a stop she stepped out into the early morning light and smiled at the rumpled looking man who was stepping down from the drivers side of the van.

“Made it back I see,” she teased gently.

“Yeah darlin’,” Logan replied tiredly, driving steadily for three days had bought them some distance but would it ever be enough for him?

“I missed you,” Rogue whispered as he neared her, “I couldn’t sleep.”

Logan nodded pulling her against him and holding her gently, “Its done now, come on lets get some rest.”

Following his lead, Rogue let him lead her back to their bedroom and through the door. Closing and locking it for good measure she glanced at him as he sank into the overstuffed chair and began pulling off his boots.

“Kitty’s excited about getting away from here,” Rogue stated softly, a tremble in her voice and hands. Fear was a powerful emotion, and right now it was clogging her throat. Fear that he’d come to his senses, fear that he’d see her for the scarred monster she was, fear that she’d end up like Kitty – bitter and alone.

“Good,” Logan rose and pulled off his multiple shirts in one smooth motion before dropping them onto the chair and meeting her eyes, “What about you?”

Rogue shrugged out there no one knew her secrets, no one would care what her past was like, no one would…

“Marie,” Logan’s low growl had her glancing sharply at him. “Talk to me.”

“I don’t know,” Rogue replied softly. “I don’t know what I feel, or why. All I know is out there in a new place there are no reminders of what happened, of what I was made into. No one…”

“You’re scared, I understand that,” Logan said pulling her onto the bed with him, “I can’t give guarantees Marie, life isn’t like that. You have to take the good with the bad…”

“But you’re a Creed! You have a life, a family, a future here…we don’t. Jubilee, Kitty, me…we’re all excess baggage. We were made what would anyone want with that?”

“Ask Tank, ask Scooter, because I don’t know where their minds are but I know where mine is. You belong to me. You think I don’t see what happened? You think I don’t understand but I do. No look at me,” Logan ground out when Rogue turned away. Holding up a fist in front o fher face he let the claws out with a sickeningly familiar screech and held them there, “Do you look down on me because of ‘em? Huh? You think I’m excess baggage?”

“No,” Rogue whispered softly, “I’ve never thought that. I’ve always trusted you, depended upon you. I know I could survive without you but I choose not to. You’re missing what I’m saying Logan.” Rising off the bed Rogue paced, “Your mom is here, your brother, hell most of the answers you’ve searched for are here! Do you really think I would ask you to leave that behind? That I would willingly let you forsake what you’ve needed for the past twenty eight years?”

“My answers aren’t as important to me as you are!” Logan rose and stared at her silently willing himself not to say something that would hurt her, that would wound her delicate psyche. “I’d gladly spend the rest of my life not knowing as long as you’re there! You aren’t some fly by night thing to me, you never were!”

“But they know!” Rogue screamed waving a hand at the door. “They know you, they know things that I never will. I can’t give you that! I can’t give you answers to your past not like these people!”

“I don’t give a flying fuck about these people!” Logan shouted back, “If I had to choose between knowing I’m related to the overstuffed, rotten sewer rat ‘Tooth and never knowing who I am I’ll take the never knowing! I don’t care if they are my family by blood, if they have the holy fuckin’ grail Marie, they don’t have you!”

Rogue stared at him, her body trembling, her heart pounding, and a deep ache within her chest, “But…”

“I don’t care. They aren’t half as important to me as you are. I’d trade all of ‘em in a second for you, and Jubilee, and Kitty. You’re the family that matters to me. You are my family, my life and I’m never gonna let anyone or anything hurt you again.”

Blinking at the burning in her eyes Rogue barely felt the tears streaking down her face, “I don’t want to hurt you again,” she whispered softly, tearfully.

“Baby you couldn’t hurt me by loving me. The only way you’re ever gonna hurt me is if you leave, I need you. I love you Marie and nothing is gonna change that, not the adamantium, not the nightmares, not the fact that you didn’t escape the same fate as Kitty and Jubes,” he paused at her tensing. “I’m not stupid Marie, I pick up on things, I’ve always know.”

“But they didn’t..”

Logan sighed and pulled her into a tight hug, “The drugs baby, they block things, erase memories. No, they didn’t steal your virginity, what they did was even worse. But I don’t care about that, I don’t care who they were anymore. All I want is you, nothing else.”

With a broken sob Rogue nodded and clung to him, even as a soft knock sounded on the door, “Logan? Rogue?” Kitty’s concerned voice had Logan rocking Rogue as she cried.

“It’s okay kid,” Logan called just as Kitty phased through the door and eyed them, “Just had some things to work out.”

“You okay now?” Kitty’s gaze never strayed from Rogue who sobbed into Logan’s chest, unaware of the homicidal look upon his face, or the slow, steady oozing of claws from his fists at the thought that anyone had done what they’d done to her.

“She will be,” Logan replied as he slid his claws back in before he picked her up and put her into bed. “I’ve got her now Kitty, she’ll be safe.”

Kitty nodded and turned to disappear, “Logan? Did he get home safely?”

“Yeah,” Logan nodded holding Rogue tightly, “Dropped him off across from the school and watched to make sure nothing happened before I left. Next time though might not be such a happy reunion.”

Kitty shrugged, “I look forward to it.”

Nodding Logan held Rogue as she cried, his eyes filled with pain, with a knowledge that no one should ever have to endure. He knew what had happened in those cells, knew beyond a doubt that Rogue hadn’t endured the physical penetration of rape but she’d been be assaulted none the less. It was something revealed in her nightmares, something in the way she scrubbed her skin raw after each one that told him what they’d done to her and he hated them all the more for it.

Pushing aside any thoughts of vengeance for the moment Logan held onto the young woman in his arms until she’d cried herself to sleep. Listening to the hitching of her breathing even in her sleep Logan’s heart ached all that much more for her.

Nuzzling into her hair he stared at the wall at the growing light that slipped past the blinds, past the curtains. They needed a fresh start and soon, they needed to have the time and space to heal and while they’d done a lot of that here, they would never be able to fully heal until they’d faced their ghosts.

The biggest was Xavier and his team, Logan knew it, understood it and he knew that there would come a day when they had to face him but for now… now he could let them heal. They’d keep in contact with Helen and do the odd pick up, the odd rescue but their escape from the prying eyes of this group was to heal those scars that could be healed right away.

Determined to let them have that Logan snuggled closer to Rogue, holding her with one hand on her stomach as he slid into a light sleep, tomorrow they’d get started on finding a place, finding a new home.

Tomorrow Frankenstein would learn how to walk alone.
Chapter 19 by Shadowlady
Sliding to a stop in front of a tall, weathered old house Logan killed the engine and glanced at Rogue who slept peacefully against the door before sliding his gaze to the back seat where Kitty was resting.

It had been a long road to here, both in distance and in mental preparedness. Kitty had been the one that actually surprised him the most, she’d taken to reading everything about the area, studying it like a slab on a microscope when they’d picked it.

Jubilee had fallen back on the familiar and said it was okay as long as Tank was there, and Rogue had merely smiled at him, asked if he had some jerky in the truck and then the trio had set to work on building their mental skills for being away from the safety of Elk Hump.

“Hey darlin’,” nudging Rogue’s leg Logan smiled as she shifted, “We’re home.”

“So soon?” Rogue yawned as she sat up. “Wow! Kitty look!”

Sitting up the other girl leaned forward to catch a glimpse of the old house. A huge wrap around porch embraced the house. Pillars that were reminiscent of another era held the porch roof up, revealing the massive windows in the front, and the stained glass door.

“Wow, this is ours?”

“Yep,” Logan grinned at the pair, “Helen said we could have it.”

“You uh okay with being a Creed Logan?” Kitty asked softly, “I mean it makes you related…”

“It’s a name Kitster,” Logan replied seriously, a dark look entering his eyes for a moment before being hidden, “And I’ve got my family with me.”

Sharing a glance Kitty phased through the seat and slid out of the cab via Logan’s open door. Standing on the ground she glanced behind the truck and smirked at the matching truck that rolled to a stop a few feet away, “Jubes made it.”

Chuckling Logan met Tank’s gaze and nodded slightly. Whatever the problem was, they’d fix it. “Well big guy, you wanna toss a little muscle around? We’ve got things to unload.”

Tank groaned and shook his head, “I’ll unload this stuff if the girls want to get started on unpacking.”

“Sure, we can do that.” Jubilee cracked her gum and giggled at Tank’s affronted look. “Uh where does most of this stuff go?”

“Pick a room,” Logan drawled as he grabbed a couple of boxes out of the back of his truck, “But the one at the top of the stairs on the right is Rogue and I’s.”

“There a basement?” Tank asked as soon as the girls had scurried into the house.

“Yeah, Helen said it’s already set up with some pretty spiffy electronics. I figure you can have part of it for a sick-bay.”

“How are the girl’s holding up Logan? The day after we got back from dropping that wimp off Rogue looked like shit.”

“Fear, and self-laothing did a number on her. She was worried I wasn’t going to accept her because of things that happened.”

“You aren’t talking about the implants are you?” Tank asked grabbing a large chair and meeting Logan’s eyes. Noting the flash of rage, followed by an almost scary twist of his lips Tank shuddered.

“No, I’m not. It’s a good thing those fuckers are dead,” Logan growled out, his hands itching to release their hidden weapons. “Or I’d be havin’ myself some fun.”

Tank nodded quickly, “If it helps your mother’s pretty formidable on the battlefield. They didn’t all get a nice quick death.”

“Would you quit calling her my mother. I don’t…”

“Call it the way it is Logan, you can call her by any name you want but the truth is Helen Creed is the woman who gave you life.”

Rolling his eyes in a move Jubilee would have been proud of Logan grumbled as he started for the house. “Whatever.”

Chuckling it didn’t take the two men long to get both trucks unloaded and the beds set up. By the time they were finished the house was actually starting to look like a home as the trio of women unpacked and put away things rapidly.

The sharp beep of a cell had Logan grabbing the one off the table, “Yeah what it is?”

“Hello to you to Logan,” Helen’s voice held a note of steel under the laughter. “I’ve got a possible pick up for you if you could do it.”

“When and where?”

“There’s a small town two miles past the canyon neck, about twenty miles from the house. My sources have revealed a young boy there with some formidable powers; he’s in the hospital due for release first thing in the morning.”

“Why was he…?”

“Gang attacked him because he’s a mutant,” Helen explained. “From my experience, and from what I’ve managed to gleen from the girls as well as our little ‘guest’ that’s departed not that long ago, I’m going to assume that the X-men will be attempting to make contact shortly. The sooner you pick him up the sooner he’ll be truly safe. I’ll arrange for transport for him to another safe house.”

“What’s his name?”

“Patrick, Patrick Dawkins.”

“Powers?”

“He’s like a porcupine; he can throw quills as well he’s a latent telepath.”

“We’ll leave right now,” Logan groundout and hung up. “Tank looks like we’re up. We’ve got a kid to pick up before the X-Men get to him.”

“Logan?” Rogue stared at him in shock, a tinge of fear in her gaze.

“You three are to stay put,” Logan ordered softly cupping her jaw, “I won’t risk you getting hurt until we’ve had more time with your training.”

Holding up a hand when Jubilee went to protest he glanced at the trio, “Let us do this. We don’t want to play our card too soon. If they know you’re alive, that you’re safe there’s a good chance that they’ll come looking. I want to be sure that when that time comes they meet a polished force, not three warriors who are still scared to death they’ll take ‘em away.”

“We can hold our own,” Kitty snapped.

“I know that’s why you’re staying behind. This one’s for me.”

Rogue put a restraining hand on Kitty’s arm when she opened her mouth and shook her head slightly, “Be safe?”

“Always baby,” Logan said bending down to give her a quick, ruthless kiss through her scarf, “I’ll be back ASAP.”

“Thank you,” Rogue whispered and squeezed his hand before letting him go.

Glancing at her friends Rogue sighed, “Come on. Lets set up the equipment out back. We’re gonna have plenty of time to kick their asses.”

“What’s he mean this one’s for him?” Jubilee asked softly.

“Kitty drew first blood, now it’s his turn and he’s not going to be so nice about it,” Rogue replied softly seriously. “Come on.”

Nodding slowly Kitty turned and followed Rogue out the back door and down the steps to where several large boxes and some wooden posts lay stacked neatly. There would be time.
Chapter 20 by Shadowlady
Sitting at the briefing table Jean held a fresh ice pack over her cheek and tried not to focus on the pain that raced through her body. The human wall they’d encountered at that backwater hospital had been less than willing to allow her to retrieve the boy. In fact he’d smirked down at her, almost licking his lips as he’d eyed her.

She’d tried to read him and came up empty and now she was feeling it. Glancing at Storm who’s uniform held several long, nasty looking gashes Jean’s gaze slid to Beast who was currently fixing a salve to ease the burning of the scratches that crisscrossed Storm’s body.

“You were extremely lucky I believe,” Hank stated calmly.

“This is the second time that they’ve interfered,” Jean snarled angrily, “How much more are they willing to do. I don’t get it. I mean I can understand Logan wanting revenge for Rogue’s death, I could even understand him attacking us but to join up with the Brotherhood? To turn away from everything decent..”

“I do not believe for one moment that he’s turned away from what’s decent,” Hank declared glancing between the two women, “He is Logan, and he blames us for the demise however unfortunate of Rogue and her friends.”
“But to be so…” Jean paused for a moment, “So emotionless. That thing I was up against sure didn’t pull punches, and I couldn’t read him. It was like dealing with a brick wall.”

“Indeed,” Storm hissed at the gentle pressure of Hank’s fingers on the scratches from Logan’s claws, “We were not dealing with Logan out there but Wolverine.”

“Both are dangerous, both are deadly,” Hank stated the obvious just as the door opened and Charles rolled in. “Aah good evening sir.”

“Hank, how are they doing?”

“Well I think they’ll survive,” Hank replied glancing at his friend, “They’re superficial wounds.”

Nodding quickly Charles sighed, “This is the second such event in short order. There must be a way of dealing with this threat.”

From where he sat leaned back in a leather chair staring at the ceiling Scott chuckled quickly and turned his head to stare at the group currently patching themselves up. Leaving the smirk on his face he merely stared back at them, in the weeks since he’d been back he’d found it almost painful to be around them. Jean’s touch stirred up his self-protective urges and he often found himself leaving the room. He’d even gone so far as to start sleeping on the couch rather than in their bed to avoid her touch.

Any attempt on their part to start a dialogue about what he’d gone through was met with stoic silence and bitterness. The one and only time Charles had attempted to read his mind he’d flipped, nearly killing the older man and since then neither of the telepaths in the mansion had tried to get into his head.

“Have you something to add?” Charles asked calmly, distantly.

“No,” Scott shifted and rose, “My input is not needed,” he drawled as he slipped out the door. Pausing in the hallway he rubbed his temple and sighed, he wanted proof that he was where he belonged and sitting around while the others went on missions wasn’t what he needed, what he wanted.

He wondered briefly if it was normal to find your alliances switching to the other side after a stay like he’d endured. Would he be so willing to protect them if he hadn’t had a chance to be with Kitty? If he hadn’t had a chance to please her in bed?

Swallowing against the growing wave of longing Scott hurried toward the elevator and up to his room. Closing the door he moved over to sink onto the couch, he knew he needed help, knew he couldn’t deal with this on his own any longer but to ask Jean or Hank?

They’d betray his confidence so quickly he’d be back to wishing he was with Kitty getting stomped into the ground. No, no it was better to find someone else, someone who would give him an honest assessment. But who? He briefly thought of trying to find Kitty, of trying to get back to where he’d been but pushed the thoughts aside.

“Scott?” Jean’s voice had him growling out a warning even as he shifted, turning away from her. “Scott please, it’s eating you alive. Look whatever happened we’ll deal with it, we can survive this.”

“Go away Jean, I’m not in the mood to talk to you.”

“Scott please, I’m your wife I love you just trust me, talk to me.”

“No,” Scott turned his head and stared at Jean, “I don’t trust you, I don’t trust anyone here. You have no idea what you’ve done. None, and I’m not going to fill you in. Leave me to hell alone.”

“Scott please, Logan’s only acting out his grief..”

“And you don’t think he has the right?” Scott stormed glaring at her. “You don’t think that he has the right to blame you, to blame us for what happened to Rogue and Kitty and Jubilee?”

“No, I don’t. Their deaths were unfortunate Scott, but it wasn’t like we planned…”

“I’m not discussing this with you,” Scott snapped rising to his feet and stalking toward his wife, “I refuse to.”

“Scott please, let me help you get better.”

“I’m just fine the way I am! They liked me, they wanted me!” Scott jerked open the door and glared at his wife, “Just let it lay.”

Watching him storm off Jean wondered what she could do to reach him then shrugged, he needed time and she needed to get out of these clothes and figure some way of hiding the rather large, ugly bruise on her face!
Chapter 21 by Shadowlady
Exhaling slowly Scott glanced at the others on the team and wondered yet again why the Professor had decided to send him. In the last few weeks since his blow up at Jean they’d grown even further apart, and in fact he’d taken to sleeping in Logan’s old room. A more comfortable endeavor he had to admit.

Thoughts of discussing his problem with Hank had resurfaced time and again and yet a fear that his secret, his blemish on perfection would be revealed kept his mouth shut. Now, after some mental tinkering, he’d once again found himself with the partial use of his eyes.

“Okay, you all know your assignment,” Jean stated glancing at Scott who merely glared back at her coldly. “Since this isn’t a rescue mission and there aren’t any mutants here in danger I don’t anticipate having to deal with Logan. If he shows up however, don’t take him on one on one, you can’t beat him.”

“Yeah, we remember,” Iceman snorted remembering Logan’s ability for destruction from years before. Of course they couldn’t take him; he doubted very strongly that the entire team could take him.


Moving through the shadows Scott hurried down the steps toward the lower levels, the team had assembled to gather some important data on a new drug that a lab had cooked up. One that Jean was certain was dangerous to mutants.

Catching sight of a figure moving through the darkness, through things Scott froze before hurrying down the stairs unmindful of the potential dangers. Racing through the hall he burst into the room he’d seen the figure disappear into.

“Kitty, Kitty are you here?” he whispered just loud enough for her to hear even as he jerked off his communicator. “Please, I’m not gonna hurt you Kitty! I just want to talk is all.”

“Sure you do,” Kitty’s low voice echoed in the room. “Didn’t think we knew about this thing did you?”

“Kitty please, I’m not the enemy.”

“No? Seems to me if you wear the mark of the enemy then you must be the enemy.”

“Kitty please where’s Logan and Rogue? Where’s the rest of the team?”

“What’s the matter scared Frankenstein’s getting too good on her feet?” Kitty purred moving through the shadows. “You eyes must be working again.”

“Lets just say I can see things in the dark, doesn’t mean I can shoot optic blasts now.”

“You’re weak. Did you tell her what I did to you? Did you tell her how much you did with me? Hmm? Does she know that you cheated on her with the leftovers of the lab? Think she’ll enjoy you fucking her knowing that?”

Scott blinked even as he moved around, “Jean doesn’t enter into this.”

“Yes she does,” Kitty’s voice was closer and he froze, “You see I got something she’ll never have! I got a chance to have everything, and I’m not so weak as to refuse to take it.”

“Does it make you strong to hurt people? To take those kids and turn them over to whomever you’re working for?”

“I work for myself, for my team,” Kitty stepped in front of him, “Those kids we found, we took ‘em in, gave ‘em shelter, food, a purpose in life. Granted it ain’t grand like Xavier’s but you know they at least know what’s coming their way.”

“Look, the team doesn’t know about you, you can get out of here..”

“No.” Kitty shook her head and stared at him, hoping he didn’t notice the tremble in her hands, or the want in her eyes. “I’m not running anymore. I’m stronger now.”

“You were strong then. You’ve always been stronger than us,” Scott tensed at the clatter of booted heels on the floor, “Go. If they find you here there’ll be hell to pay.”

“And there won’t be for you?”

“No. You see I agree with you, they owe you something for the hell you endured. I paid my debt in blood.”

Staring at him for a moment Kitty shook her head and struggled not to believe him even as she turned, grabbed a canister and darted through the wall just as the door swung open to reveal Jean in all her battle glory.

“Scott? You okay?”

“Yeah,” Scott sighed and stared at the wall where Kitty had disappeared. “I’m fine.”



Four hours later sitting at the table with his fellow team members Scott didn’t feel much like contributing to the conversation. He’d heard all about how Iceman had bumped into Logan, how badly the younger man had been hurt, how terrible Logan was and it was sickening.

“I just don’t get it. This isn’t like the Brotherhood,” Jean sighed leaning on the table a dark look on her face.

“You’re right. This has no earmarks of Magneto,” Storm sighed, “So that means we’re dealing with a new faction. A new terrorist group.”

Staring at Storm at the easy way she wrote everyone off Scott rose and paced to a drawer at the back of the room, one that he’d tucked familiar pictures into. Pulling the out with sharp, angry movements he stalked back to the desk and tossed them on it, watching the glossy pages slide across the smooth marble top.

“You wanna know what you’re dealin’ with?” Scott snarled, “Take a good look! We made them, now we get to deal with them.”

“Scott they’re dead,” Jean sighed softly, “They probably died within days of being captured. I don’t mean to be cruel but you need to face that.”

Scott shook his head and stared at his wife, “You have no idea do you? You sit there and say oh they’re dead like you’re discussing the fuckin’ weather!”

“Scott please,” Storm started only to fall silent at his dark look.

“Are you saying that they’re alive? That the army still has them?” Jean asked slowly, an assessing look in her gaze.

“No, I’m saying you’re right. Those three girls did die, within days of arriving at the lab. Only to be pieced back together, molded into something entirely unknown and with a bit of a jolt were reborn. You wanna know who’s always one step ahead of us? You wanna know what the big secret is? Ladies and gentlemen meet Frankenstein in her full glory. Trained, deadly, merciless, and completely out of anyone of our league.”

“The army made them…” Jean started only to stop when Scott moved getting into her face.

“No Jean, you did. You made them, you twisted their lives around, you awoke Wolverine’s instincts, and you did this. I’m no longer part of this; I’ve already paid for my sins…in blood, sweat, and broken bones. You haven’t got a chance against them and this mission should have shown you that.”

“Scott where are they?” Storm asked seriously, her gaze hard. “They nearly killed Bobby…”

Scott shrugged and looked at them, “So? You expect me to feel pity for him? He’s lucky, Logan was feelin’ generous.”

“This is what you’ve been hiding isn’t it? You’ve been feeding them information!” Jean gaped at him.

“I don’t need to Jean, think about it. All four of them have been here, all of them have trained with us, known us, they don’t need someone to feed them intel.”

“You son of a bitch,” Jean stormed only to find her hand blocked in mid strike.

“Takes one to know one,” Scott smirked. “Hate me all you want, but as far as I’m concerned whatever happens I don’t have a problem with it. If Logan wants to kick your ass from here to the Arctic Circle I’m not gonna stand in the way.”

“You’d leave us to their mercies?” Piotr gaped at him.

“Why not? You left them to the army’s. And they weren’t as nice as Frankenstein will be,” shoving away from Jean he stalked toward the door, “Oh and by the way Jean you’re a lousy liar.”

“What is that supposed to mean?” Jean huffed.

Scott glanced at her and smirked, “Just that I’m aware of you warming Iceman’s bed, and I haven’t a problem with it. I find myself wanting a real woman, not an imitation.”

Staring at him in shock the team barely moved as the doors swished shut, instead they turned to each other as a shiver raced over them. Just what sort of monster had been unleashed?
Chapter 22 by Shadowlady
The annoying sound of dripping water and softly hidden tears woke Rogue without hesitation. Slipping from Logan’s grasp she padded out into the hall and down to a door that remained closed to everyone.

A soft knock and she slipped inside to see Kitty sitting on the bed, naked and rocking her arms wrapped tightly around herself.

“Kitster? You okay?” Rogue approached the bed slowly, knowing Kitty could and would strike out if startled.

Kitty merely shook her head and cried harder, trying to bury her tears, her misery in her hands, her hair. She hurt in places she hadn’t hurt in a long time, she ached for a touch that wasn’t there. Glancing at Rogue who stood in the pale light from the bathroom she shook her head and waved at the door.

The other woman wouldn’t understand, she had what she wanted, no one understood.

“You miss him don’t you?” Rogue sank down onto the bed and stared at her friend who shook with her sobs. “You can tell me, I won’t tell anyone. I swear it.”

“I thought I had it under control,” Kitty whispered tearfully, “I thought with him gone I wouldn’t need his touch, need to feel the way he made me feel. And it worked Rogue, it worked for a while until last night. Until I was this close to him,” she held up her fingers pinched together. “I could touch him; I was so close I could smell his cologne, and it hurts. I ache.”

“Where?” Rogue whispered softly, if her friend was in pain… flushing as Kitty gestured at her lap Rogue shifted, “I’ll get Tank.”

“NO!” Kitty grabbed Rogue’s gloved hand. “Please, I know why I hurt.”

“Why? Kitty what did you do?” Rogue gaped at her friend even as the other girl’s gaze darted to her bedside table where a small dildo sat. “Kitty don’t tell me you..”

Kitty nodded miserably, “I thought I could ease the ache, the want only it didn’t work.”

Pulling her friend closer Rogue held her while she cried, “It’s gonna be okay Kitty, I promise.”

“How? We’re beneath them, Jean hates us.”

With a shrug Rogue sighed, “I don’t know, but Scott cared about us at one time. We showed them that we weren’t like them when you sent him back to her.”

“He said…he said..” Kitty hiccupped and shifted snuggling closer to Rogue until her head was in the other girl’s lap. “He said I was stronger than them, that he wasn’t the enemy. Rogue I don’t want to be like her, I don’t..”

“Shh,” Rogue glanced up at a slight noise and recognized Logan’s frame. “You aren’t. We aren’t.”
With a barely perceptible nod Logan turned and walked away. He could still hear Kitty and Rogue and would be there to help them if the need arose but he would keep his distance for a moment.

“What do we do?”

Running her fingers through Kitty’s short dark hair Rogue stared out the window, “We go back. We face them, we show them we’re not weak, show them we’re stronger than they ever believed we could be!”

“I still want him.”

Rogue smirked slightly, “Then we take him. If you want him, if you need him then we’ll take him back.”

“I don’t want a prisoner..”

“I don’t think he will be one,” Rogue whispered even as Kitty’s breathing evened out and she slid into a restful sleep. “Something tells me Scott Summers is about to step over to our side!”


Pouring a fresh cup of coffee Logan stared out the window as he listened to Rogue moving around behind him. When she closed the fridge door and settled at the table he glanced over to smile at her warmly before returning to his vigil.

“Would you take us to New York?” Rogue asked softly, her gaze on her own coffee cup.

“When?” Logan asked softly, he knew Kitty suffered and this might be just what it took to push her over the edge.

“Tomorrow,” Rogue glanced up at him. “No more hiding Logan. We need to do this?”

“Going for war?”

“Only if you’re coming with us,” Rogue smiled softly at him.

“Let’s go teach them what happens to the disposable people,” Logan replied moving over to set down next to her. Reaching out he cupped her jaw he stared at her for a moment, “We’re stronger now then we were darlin’, and we’re not going into this blind. I’ll be damned if I’m gonna let ‘em hurt any of you again.”

“I know,” Rogue nodded and smirked. “Let’s go aerate a doctor, and her boss.”

Chuckling Logan leaned over and kissed her gently, pulling away just as her mutation kicked in. Sitting back in his chair he saw the sparkle in her eyes and knew, someone was going to pay dearly for the scars that they trio carried upon their souls.
Chapter 23 by Shadowlady
The low purr of the engine as it idled barely disturbed the darkness as the group inside the van stared at the looming mass before them. Eyes hardened by life, by experience searched along the fence until they found the small black box that housed the camera.

“Three,” Logan grunted low, “They put in a new one.”

“I wonder about lasers,” Rogue glanced at him, “Along the fence.”

“None that I can see,” Jubilee said shifting her head slightly, her good eye closed as she adjusted her optic piece.

“Good, we’re lucky. So where do we go first?”

Logan glanced at Tank, “You’ll have to keep an eye out for Beast, he’s the only one that we might have a problem with.”

“What about Colossus?” Kitty asked softly.

“I can take him,” Rogue declared easily wiggling her fingers. “Beast’s fur acts as a barrier to my touch.”

“Who are we gonna hit first?” Kitty demanded shifting uneasily on the seat, her body burning at the thought of the coming confrontation.

“We’ll go for Xavier first,” Logan said and held up several small ear pieces, “These’ll protect against his telepathy. Don’t take ‘em off no matter what.”

“Gotcha,” Rogue said burying hers in her ear and glancing at the other two women, “You ready?”

“And waiting,” Jubilee declared cracking her knuckles.

“Good,” Logan glanced amongst his team, “Just a few notes here ladies. We’re not taking prisoners, and we’re not out to kill. Humiliate, wound, and scar…by all means but under no circumstances do we kill one.”

Each nodded, “Now then if you think you need help, just tap on your communicator and someone will respond. Under no circumstances Katharine do you attempt to control the situation if you feel you can’t.”

Kitty nodded and grinned at him, “Who said I’m going after anyone?”

Rolling his eyes, Logan glanced at Tank then the women, “Over the fence, there’s a break in security near that old Oak tree. We’re out to prove a point, not sink to these geeks’ level.”

“And stick together until we’re safely inside,” Rogue ordered. “Don’t go chasing shadows Kitty.”

“I have my own priorities,” Kitty replied stiffly, her gaze steady on Rogue’s. “There’s only two I’d go after and you know it.”

Rogue nodded as Logan killed the engine and opened the door. Five minutes later standing in the darkness of the tree they began moving toward the house, using the landscaping as cover as much as was possible.

“Okay, how do we get in without setting off the alarms?” Jubilee said eying the front door.

“Panther, you ready?” with a glance Kitty nodded and slid into the wall, intent on knocking out the alarm. Using a mirror to bounce the laser back at the sensors she stuck her head out and smiled, “Lets move.”

Moving silently in complete harmony, the team slid into the mansion closing the door and moving forward. Pausing at the slight sound coming from the rec room Rogue moved forward and peaked into the room to smile at the small boy sitting blinking at the television.

Waving a hand she watched the boy as the team slid past the door and headed for the stairs. As soon as they were out of sight she darted after them, taking the stairs easily, comfortably as they moved toward the dorm wing.


Despite the heels on their boots, there were no sounds, no indications of their movements as they advanced until they gathered in the little alcove that separated one hall from the next.

“Okay Panther, you’re on Cyke right?” Logan whispered softly, falling into the easy habit of using their new code names.

“Yeah. I’ll meet you at the hedge in say half an hour.”

“Streaks you’re with me, Fury you and Tank see if you can find her highness.”

“On the way Wolverine.”

Stepping silently Rogue followed Logan down the hall and paused with a twisted smile in front of the bedroom door of one Charles Xavier. With matching grins, and identical movements of muscles claws slid from both masculine and feminine hands as they slipped inside the bedroom.

Charles slept soundly, unaware of his own impending doom as the pair of hunters moved through the darkness until they were on either side of his bed.

Crawling onto it, Rogue sat demurely next to Charles as Logan flanked him on the other side. Trailing a warm, metallic claw down his face Rogue almost giggled at the shock n Charles’ face when he jerked out of a deep sleep.

“What..?”

“Shhh, old man,” Rogue whispered leaning in closer to him. “You wouldn’t want to wake the entire house…would you?”

Staring at Rogue, it occurred to Charles that he was either dreaming or in very deep trouble. Shifting slightly he glanced over at where Logan sat eying him his claws resting on his chin.

“Hey Chuck, how’s it hanging?” Logan smirked. “I see you’ve decided to really wake up and join us for this conversation..”

“What is the meaning behind this? Jean told me that…”

“Let’s not bother with the red-headed bitch just yet,” Rogue stated calmly caressing his jaw gently. “I want something from you,” the note of seduction, of coercion in her voice had Charles swallowing. “See what they couldn’t kill, they made stronger. Now then you owe me something.”

“What do you believe I owe you?” Charles muttered wondering why he couldn’t get into their minds.

“My soul,” Rogue whispered biting his ear gently, “But since you can’t give that back to me, I figured I’d give you a taste of the hell I endured, we endured. So this is what we’re gonna do, you’re gonna open your mind and take in the memories I give you.”

“And if I don’t?”

“Trust me, Streaks is rather formidable. You can open your mind, or she’ll force it open. Much like the guards did to Kitty and Jubilee’s bodies. You’re gonna live with the knowledge of the torture and rape they endured…and those are the good things that are gonna happen tonight,” Wolverine growled shifting until his claws were at the other man’s throat. “Because I want blood for blood and I always get what I want.”

Staring at Wolverine Charles opened his mind to scream out a mental warning just as Rogue smirked slightly and started to project.



Peering through the door of Scott and Jean’s bedroom Kitty shook her head and backed away, “She’s alone,” she whispered to her comrades.

“Good,” Jubilee declared. “You going after Cyke?”

“Yep,” Kitty smirked, “Kinda got used to him.”

With an answering smirk Jubilee watched as she disappeared down the hallway, peeking into doors as she went. Turning to her own personal guard dog Jubilee reached for the doorknob, “lets have us some fun!”

“Indeed,” Tank agreed as Jubilee pushed the door open and they slid inside. Closing the door and locking it for good measure Tank moved slowly, parallel to Jubilee as they flanked the bed.

Securing a rather ugly gag on the woman in the form of some heavy tape, Jubilee chuckled and slapped her face, “Hey bitch wake up its play time,” she ground out as Jean jerked awake.

“Mmmph..” Jean started to struggle only to find herself pinned to the mattress by a rather large, furious man who was only too familiar.

“Oh what’s the matter? Doesn’t the doctor want to play?” Jubilee cooed softly as she leaned closer to her, “Guess what bitch, I do.” The flash of light on a blade had Jean’s eyes widening as she stared at Jubilee’s twisted grin.

The muffled scream that tore from her throat as the blade sliced across her arm only made Jubilee laugh. Struggling within the confines of the grip on her shoulders, she sobbed as Jubilee shifted; settling on her legs and holding them pinned do the bed.

“You own me blood baby, and I’m gonna collect.”


Sliding gracefully, silently through the door Kitty smirked at the man asleep on the bed. Despite the fact that this was his home, that he was free of her control he lay sleeping much as he had during the last days of his stay with them at Elk Hump.

Wrapped around a pillow he snored softly, his visor resting on the bedside table. Phasing out slightly Kitty moved toward him, crawling on her hands and knees across the bed until she was sitting on his lap before solidifying.

“Hey lover,” she purred softly in his ear, “Your friends are probably cussing us out by now.”

Shifting Scott groaned a moment before he jerked upright, his hand grabbing for his visor even as the soft click of a lock was being slid into place reached him.

“Your eyes are off again,” Kitty purred trailing her nails across his naked chest. “Did you miss me?”

“Are you insane?” he hissed only to gasp when she grabbed a handful of hair and pulled back on it. Moaning softly in pain he kept his mouth shut even as he felt her warm, moist breath on his face.

“No. Did they believe you? Do they trust you Scott? Hmm, did you tell ‘em all about us? How we’re so much stronger then they are?”

“I told ‘em they created you.”

“They did, and their debt is being paid as we speak. But you see you made me think. Made me aware of certain things, things I never wanted to know, to think of. Things that experience had taught me were too painful, to degrading to desire. Now I find myself longing for them again.”

Feeling the slow grind of her pelvis against his groin Scott sucked in a breath, refusing to believe Kitty meant to have sex with him now!

“So I’m gonna be nice, and offer you a choice,” she nipped at him, her mouth hot on his chest. “I’ll call ‘em all off, tell ‘em to retreat on one condition.”

“Yeah, what’s that?” Scott hissed as he felt her grind down on his hardening erection.

“You come back with us, to me. You leave them behind.”

Scott grabbed her waist, rolling and pinning her to the bed under him, his gaze steady, “Me for them? I can’t believe you’d be so willing to give up on revenge.”

“We aren’t the X-men,” Kitty whispered softly staring hard at him. “We value something more than a cause.”

Staring down at her Scott swallowed, “How long?”

“Till I get bored with you.”

Scott shook his head, “No, how long do we have before Logan calls for a retreat?”

Kitty turned her head and glanced at his alarm clock, “Half an hour. This was simply an in and out hit, a way of pointing out that we’re capable of taking out those within the walls.”

Eying her carefully Scott saw past the confident air, the dark clothes, the makeup, the gloves to the woman underneath it all. It typical fashion she’d found something she wanted and was willing to take it by force.

“We still have time,” he muttered bending his head slowly to kiss her.
Chapter 24 by Shadowlady
Staring at Logan as he methodically, mercilessly slaughtered his wheelchair Charles barely thought of Rogue, she wasn’t a trained killer like Logan and therefore not as much a threat.

Struggling to contain the images in his mind, Charles could feel the sweat pouring down his body. The agony that radiated from his groin, from his hands, his joints intensified as he shifted on the bed, hoping to alleviate the pain.

The thick was of silk in his mouth stopped him from screaming, muffling his cries even as he swirled in a mass of pain, loathing, and darkness. Even the effects of the drugs Rogue’d been pumped full of were within his mind, making him feel like he was contained, caged by his own emotions.

“Poor little Chuckie, doesn’t like our game,” Rogue cooed running a finger down his temple and laughing as he jerked away from her. Rising from the mattress she padded over to where Logan was standing panting from the destruction of the only mode of transport Charles had available.

Stopping in front of him she lifted the pale, translucent silk from around her throat to cover her mouth and nose. Moving into him, against him she purposely brushed her breasts against his chest, her hand skating over his chiseled chest and down to cup his groin even as she glanced sideways at Charles who hadn’t moved from where he’d been imprisoned by his handicap.

“Now?” Logan ground out his breathing hard, fast, his body already on fire for the woman before him.

“Yeah, make him watch,” Rogue whispered, “Make him see what he tossed aside. What his actions made.”

Snarling at her words Logan pulled her against him, his hands hard on her ass as he ground into her, rubbing his erection against her. Hearing her moan and seeing her head fall back, Logan felt the Wolverine taking even more control from him and relished it.

Tonight wasn’t about niceties; it was about possession, about claiming and he knew Rogue was swimming in her own desire. A quick precise movement of his claws and the crotch of her jeans were gone. Turning her around to face the man lying on the bed, he grimaced as his hands raced over her body, squeezing her breasts, wringing a pained moan from her as he did.

A quick move from Rogue and she was bent over the end of the bed, her hair dusting the duvet as she bit her lip, her eyes locked on Charles’ as she felt Logan move behind her, felt him slowly sink into her body.

Moaning softly Rogue thrust back toward him even as she grabbed handfuls of the silk on the bed, “Please Logan, give it to me. Give me everything!”


Desperate to block the images from his mind Charles closed his eyes only to find Rogue projecting so powerfully that he couldn’t escape there. Awash with the desire, the trust within her for the man taking her hard enough to shake the bed Charles wished desperately that he wasn’t alone, that he had some means of escape.

The sharp guttural cry from Logan’s lips had his eyes jerking to where the other man stood panting, his hands racing over Rogue’s body, his grip tight, his claws fully extended.

Jumping in shock when Rogue cried out and a matching set of claws slid free of her flesh Charles realized just what Jean had meant when she’d said Scott had described Frankenstein as a living creature.

Pushing her hair back from her face Rogue smirked at Charles and straightened up to kiss Logan passionately, openly much like she were in a cheap porn flick.

“Hope you have a few nights of really bad dreams old man,” she whispered and adjusted her clothes so her cloak covered her torn clothes.


A few seconds later, alone in his room Charles closed his eyes and let the tears fall. Logan and his team had entered into his home, into his refuge and taken command. They’d done what many had tried, what many wanted to do and with such precision, such skill that no one else in the mansion was awakened. Wanting to curl up and hide Charles rolled over, pulling his legs up to his chest to lay there panting and crying as the pain only increased within his body.


Tapping Jubilee on the shoulder Tank nodded at the door and stepped back, leaving the doctor soaking her sheets in blood, her face battered, bruised, but she’d survive. There was more life within her body then there had been in Jubilee’s when he’d rescued her and now she’d know just what they were dealing with.

Stepping out into the hallway Tank glanced around and shook his head at the small streak of light from a door down the hall. Trotting down to it he turned the knob slowly, sliding the door open soundlessly, a tranq gun in his hand as he peered inside.

Standing impatiently in the center of the room was a familiar woman dressed in a man’s t-shirt, her uniform jeans, and a pair of combat boots, “Psst, we’ve got to go!” he called.

“We’re coming,” Kitty replied and turned back to watch Scott toss a shirt over his bare chest. Fresh scratches marred the tanned skin, along with a few odd bruises but she knew she had her own share to cover on her body.

“Lets go,” Scott glanced around uneasily, before following Kitty out into the hallway and being flanked by the largest man he’d seen since Sabertooth.

Getting out was just as easy as getting in and when he was secured in the van Scott glanced up into the rearview mirror at Logan’s gaze. The usual tension, the rigid look that often graced his face was gone. There was a slackening, an easing of the muscles around his mouth and eyes and Scott wondered idly who’d he’d fucked at the mansion.

Glancing over at Rogue as she shifted on the seat and grabbed a bag, he noted she was taking her jeans off and putting on fresh ones, the crotch ripped out of the old pair!
Chapter 25 by Shadowlady
Wiping at his face Hank glanced at Jean and Charles as they sat in stoic silence in front of him. From the paler on Jean’s face and the bruising he knew she’d gotten a real pounding. A thorough examination hadn’t revealed any indication of sexual activity… at least recently and he wondered about that.

Charles on the other hand was covered in small red lines from his knees to his eyebrows. A fine tremble in his frame told of horror’s no one would wish upon another and he kept rubbing his face, almost as though he were searching for something.

“I’m going to prescript rest,” Hank declared. “Both of you should take a couple of days to recuperate. I’ll ensure that the security is stepped up…”

“They can get in despite it,” Charles sighed and looked at his friend. “Even with all the security, all the care we’ve taken they still came in. Jean was lucky they didn’t kill her, the wounds will heal but the damage is done.”

“Here,” Piotr handed him a piece of paper and stepped back, “I found it in Scott’s room.”

“Where is Scott?” Jean whispered softly.

“There were several indications of sexual activity,” Piotr declared. “Used condoms and the like.”

Swallowing painfully at the thought of what Scott had endured Jean nodded and fell silent as Charles opened the page and blinked to clear his vision.

“What’s it say?” Hank asked as Charles let it fall to his lap.

“Read it yourself,” Charles replied already looking longingly at his chair.

Taking it Hank glanced around before focusing on the page, “X-Men – just so you know Frankenstein will never forget, nor forgive. The debt hasn’t been paid. Now you know we can take you anytime we want – don’t push us. F.”

“What does that mean?”

“It means we’ve got a new enemy,” Charles explained softly and glanced around. “Watch yourselves out there. The Brotherhood may be dangerous but they’ve never done something like this, they have more control.”

“And this wasn’t?” Storm demanded. “They could have killed all of us instead they just hurt you and Jean. What does that say about them?”

“That we’ll have to deal with this new threat on their terms,” Charles replied seriously.

Knowing that no one would be able to talk him out of an all out attack, everyone remained silent. There would be time enough for payback later, when everyone had healed.



“So now what?” Scott asked as he paced the confines of Kitty’s room. “You do realize they’re gonna come for you?”

“Let them,” Kitty drawled from where she’d flopped onto the bed. “I don’t fear them anymore, don’t fear the past the way they want me to.”

“Still you should have gotten something, some form of apology instead all you’ve gotten is a one way ticket to being an enemy. They’re gonna be gunning for you a lot more than they will the Brotherhood!”

“Let them,” Kitty replied softly and turned to face him, “We’ve learned a few things since then Scott. We’re not girls any longer, we grew up.”

“Kitty..”

“Jubilee found a man to love her in Tank, Rogue has Logan, and I have you. We discovered what we wanted, we found the strength to face it, and we rose above the shackles placed upon us by the army. Xavier wants a war let him have it. Every single day we train, we practice, we watch, we learn…Frankenstein is very real, and more powerful than even Xavier could ever have feared.”

“But what about you?” Scott asked softly staring at the woman before him, “What about Katharine Pryde the woman?”

Glancing down at her hands Kitty shrugged, “She’s a figment of imagination. All that’s left is a vague memory, and the ruined corpse.”

Scott stared at her in shock, stunned to realize that was exactly how she saw herself, “I don’t think so. I don’t see a ruined corpse, I see a woman. A real live woman, not the fake image so many have.”

The sharp rap on the door had both of them turning to see it open and Logan step in, “How you doing kid?”

“Okay,” Kitty smiled slightly, “How’s Rogue?”

“Sleeping,” Logan leaned against the doorjamb, “Planting all those thoughts into Xavier’s mind took a lot out of her.”

“Haven’t seen Jubes since we got back wonder how she is,” Kitty mused.

“From the sounds coming from the basement I’d say she’s doing well. Better than that, she’s back on track.”

Giggling Kitty nodded as her face flushed, “Do you think it’s over? Do you think they’ll…”

“Kid if there’s anything in this world I’ve learned it’s never let your guard down. Good or bad, the minute you do you’re setting yourself up to get your ass kicked,” Logan shrugged and glanced between them, “I’ll let you know if there’s anything we need.”

Kitty nodded before glancing at Scott then back at Logan as he pulled the door closed behind him. Swallowing Kitty faced the man standing waiting for her to respond, to pick up their discussion.

“Your eyesight hasn’t improved with freedom,” she whispered sadly.

“And your mind hasn’t changed,” Scott replied moving to face her squarely, blocking any attempt at escape she could make real or imaginary. “You don’t see what I see. And until you prove to Xavier that you’re not that girl anymore you never will.”

“We did that already!” Kitty snapped.

“No, you proved you were strong…proving you aren’t a puppet to be played is gonna take more than ambushing the mansion. Someday, somehow you’re gonna be faced with a choice Kitty, kill or save and only your heart can tell you which one it’ll be.”

Jerking away from him Kitty grabbed her coat, “I’m gonna go train. You can stay here or do whatever the hell you want. A warrior, a true warrior never stops just because of a minor victory.”

Shaking his head Scott sighed, “But it isn’t minor Kitty. You’re a lot stronger than you think.”

The faint sound of a ringing phone followed by Logan shouting out for Tank had Scott shuddering, he wasn't too sure he wanted to see how Frankenstein worked but something told him he was about to learn.
Chapter 26 by Shadowlady
Author's Notes:
A bit of a lighter chapter before I get back into the heavy stuff. Hope y'all enjoy!
Scott shivered at the foreboding looks on both Tank and Logan’s faces as they suited up in denim and leather. Glancing at the trio of women that stood watching them he sighed, “You sure you don’t need my help?”

“You’d be as much use right now as tits on a boar,” Tank replied buckling his gun belt into place. “When you’re trained, we’ll see.”

“I’m a trained professional,” Scott protested.

“Not by us,” Tank shot back and nodded at Logan, “You wanna get a head start on it see if one of the women will spar with you.”

“How long do you figure you’ll be gone?” Rogue asked her gaze steady on Logan.

“Couple of days darlin’,” Logan smiled softly at her, “Just long enough to meet Creed Inc and collect the kid.”

“If that’s the case why are you taking guns?” Kitty demanded.

“Because there are variables out there,” Tank replied. “People that we don’t control and its best to be prepared.”

“Just don’t go getting yourselves caught or killed. You do and I’ll kick your asses all the way to the Arctic Circle and back again,” Jubilee declared with a dark look at Tank before she walked up to him and pressed a kiss to his chest, “Come home safe.”

Tank smiled down at her and nodded, “Couple of days.”

“Keep on your toes,” Logan whispered to Rogue, “I love you.”

“Be safe Logan,” Rogue replied kissing him softly, quickly, “Come home to me.”

“Always.”



The echo of the truck’s engine filled the foyer as the small group stood waiting, listening to it fade away.

“Anyone for coffee?” Kitty asked when the last dram of sound had faded into silence.

“Sure,” Rogue turned and headed for the kitchen. “Coffee then some training.”

“Do you three do anything but train?” Scott asked following them quickly.

“Not when the men aren’t here,” Jubilee said reaching for four coffee mugs. “As long as we’re training we’re getting stronger, we’re not thinking of what’s out there.”

“What if they don’t…”

“Don’t even think it,” Rogue hissed slamming the sugar down in front of him. “They’ll be back.”

Scott nodded and took his coffee. “So when did Victor start helping people?”

“He doesn’t,” Rogue declared. “Logan’s going to meet their contacts in his parent organization.”

“Military?” Scott gaped at him.

Rogue laughed and glanced at her friends, “No. Helen Creed runs Creed Inc. She’s Logan’s mom.”

“Eww,” Scott cringed, “Here I was hoping there wasn’t any more like him around.”

“Actually there are two more. You met Edward already.”

“I did?” Scott gaped at the trio.

“Yep,” Jubilee chuckled, “The dark haired, smooth talker that was there when you got back to the mansion. You know the one you sensed wasn’t there to help the X-men.”

“The spy?”

“We don’t call ‘em spies. We call them intel collectors,” Kitty declared with a grin.

Scott chuckled, “you three have really bounced back you know.”

“How so?” Kitty demanded. “We’re not remotely like we were.”

Scott shrugged, “You’ve become women that you can be proud of.”

“Yeah, the used, abused, and discarded trash from a…”

“Stop it!” Scott glared at Kitty, “You have nothing to be ashamed of! So you have a few scars, doesn’t mean a damn thing and you know that. You’ve gotten so hung up on what others will see, will think that you’ve forgotten you have a voice.”

With a dark look Kitty stormed out of the kitchen, fury and pain in every line of her body.

“Scott you can’t change her mind?”

“You’re right,” Scott snapped rising and dumping his coffee inot the sink, “I can’t. Because she won’t let me in.”

“Scott that isn’t it!” Jubilee protested.

“Yes it is!” Scott replied seriously, “They may have hurt her but she’s letting them beat her. No one and I do mean no one would ever think less of her because of what happened to her. I don’t. Sure I see the scars but I don’t think any less of her.”

“Kitty has to learn to deal with it in her own way,” Rogue sipped at her coffee.

“No, she doesn’t,” Scott stomped toward the door, “Because she’s got someone to lean on. I may be a lot of things but I’m not a mindless drone!”

“Do you think they’ll work it out?” Jubilee asked after Scott had vanished after Kitty.

“They better,” Rogue grinned, “Because I’m not doing it for them.”

“She uh tried using that toy she had me order?” Jubilee asked softly.

“With disastrous results,” Rogue declared. “Something tells me she didn’t get primed before and it hurt like hell.”

“Ooh ouch,” Jubilee winced. “Well since they’re discussing Kitty’s scars what do you say we go spar some? We’ve got plenty of time till our guys get home.”

“Sounds like a plan. If they kill each other we’ll just take ‘em down to Sickbay and leave ‘em there for Tank.”

“Gotcha.”



Stopping the truck at the gates to the house Logan glanced once at Tank before focusing on the kid sitting sullenly in the back seat, “You okay with this?”

“Yeah,” the girl replied with a stiff nod. “Its not like I have much choice.”

“You have a choice,” Logan replied, “Come or go is up to you. All we’re offering you is a safe place to lay low for a while until you’re back on your feet.”

The girl sighed and nodded, “Fine. I’ll stick around.”

Tank hid a smile and remained silent as Logan drew up the driveway. Parking in front of the front yard’s walkway he opened the door just as the house seemed to explode in a flurry of activity.

Smiling warmly at the dark haired beauty rushing toward him he braced himself as she threw herself into his arms, a pale scarf tied around her face. Moaning softly at the hard pressure of her kiss Logan wrapped her legs around his waist and started for the house.

“Uh Logan? Rogue we have…” Tank started only to sigh and glance at the girl, “Perhaps we should get you settled.”

“Who is she?”

“That’s Rogue, Logan’s woman,” Tank explained as the door opened and Jubilee slipped out onto the steps a smile growing on her face.

“TANK!” Racing down the steps she threw her arms around his neck and held on for dear life. “You’re home!”

“It would seem that way,” Tank replied kissing her gently before glancing at the girl next to him. “Meet our pick-up.”

“Hi,” Jubilee smirked at the girl, “Welcome to the Monster House.”

“Monster House?”

“Uh yeah, it’s a play on our code name,” Jubilee giggled.

“I see,” the girl looked skeptical but held her tongue. “Are there many more of you?”

“Just Scott and Kitty and they’re working something out.”

“What are they working out?” Tank asked a slight frown crossing his face, “I thought she was content…”

“Difference of opinion. Kitty still sees her scars as a drawback, Scott doesn’t. He’s spent the past two days trying to convince her she’s mistaken.”

“Has it been working?”

“Uh,” Jubilee flushed. “Better than he hoped. I uh disinfected your desk by the way.”

“My desk?” Tank gaped.

“Yeah, apparently Scott felt like being artistic. Needless to say they uh got bodily fluids on the surface.”

“You mean they had sex?” the girl guffawed before falling silent at Tank’s raised eyebrow.

“Pretty damn good sex if you ask me. Rogue and I could hear Kitty all the way upstairs!”

Tank groaned and ushered both girls toward the house, “The sanitation of my office has been violated. I’m gonna have...” he paused as he closed the door behind him. A trail of denim, silk, and leather led into the study.

“What did I ever do to deserve this?” he groaned.

Chuckling Jubilee kissed him gently, “Just wait. Tonight we can keep them up all night!”

Groaning in protest, Tank walked away leaving the pair smirking at his retreat.

“I’m Jubilee by the way.”

“Erica,” the girl said with a nod. “I’m uh..”

“A mutant?” Jubilee chuckled, “Aren’t we all. Come on I’ll show you where you can bunk down.”

“I think I liked the other place better. They weren’t so sexually crazed,” Erica muttered.

“Oh that,” Jubilee led the way down the hall and opened a door. “You’ll find that we’re all sorta dependent on that.”

“Why?”

“We’re rescuees from a lab,” Jubilee declared and gestured to her eye piece, “or did you think this was a fashion statement?”

“Actually I was so busy focusing on the guys emotions that I never noticed. So it won’t matter what I did before?”

“You have to survive some how.”

“Do you want me to work for you?”

Jubilee shook her head, “No. Your job is simple, figure out what you want and get to work on getting it! Now then, dinner’s at six tonight, and we’ll probably have a briefing at it so be prepared for questions.”

“Do you think that the others will be so understanding?”

Jubilee smiled as she grabbed the doorknob, “I think they’re gonna love you. See you tonight.”

Standing in the warmly decorated room Erica sighed and flopped down on the bed, at least here she wasn’t too concerned with waking up on with someone on top of her. Resolved to take it easy, to let them show themselves before she finalized her decision she closed her eyes and let sleep overtake her.
Chapter 27 by Shadowlady
“How many do we have now?” Tank inquired leaning nonchalantly against the doorjamb of Logan’s office.

“Eight,” Logan replied without looking up. “I talked to the contractor in town, he’s gonna be out next week. They should have six full sized cabins built by fall.”

“Why not just add onto this old house?”

“The kids need a place of their own. Granted they’ll be sharing but really, it’s not fair to them to be locked away within the walls of this house.”

“I’m just concerned for their safety is all.”

The cabins will be interconnected, and we’re still going to have communal meals. It’s just a way of giving them some space.”

“Why not get Helen to send a crew over?”

“Because I do not want anything from her,” Logan ground out looking up at the only other male on the property over the age of eighteen.

“Why not? She is…”

“Don’t say it,” Logan growled, his fists clenching. “My family is here. They need us, need to know we’re going to protect them, provide for them. I can’t afford to be running to ‘mommy’ everytime we need something.”

“Where’s the money coming from?” Tank asked. “I ain’t got a lot but you’re welcome to it.”

Logan shook his head, “I’ve got more than enough saved up. Making a living pounding red-necks and hicks makes you more than you think.”

Tank nodded even as a slow, evil little grin slid across his face, “Why not have Xavier pay for it?”

“I don’t want anything from that freak.”

“No, he’d never know he was paying for it. We send someone in there on a ‘fundraising’ mission. He’d never know what hit him, we have enough to build ten cabins, and you haven’t spent a penny.”

“That’s theft.”

“That’s sweet revenge. The man’s got way too much money as is.”

“Look,” rising Logan moved closer to him and lowered his voice, “The contractor has a mutant daughter that’s just beginning to show signs of her more latent talents. He’s slightly concerned that she’s gonna fall into the wrong hands and has offered to build the cabins for us at a discount.”

“On what condition?”

“We take his daughter off his hands. Find her somewhere safe to be.”

Tank nodded, “Where’s the contractor from?”

“Barkerville.”

“Where the heck is that?”

“British Columbia. He’s already got a crew on the way; we don’t have to do anything. Apparently his daughter is coming with them.”

“Logan, you’re a dangerous man.”

“No, I’m street smart. Besides that, I need to get the girls out of here. They’ve been working so hard on training that they’ve forgotten what it means to be rested, to have extra energy. They need a holiday.”

“They won’t leave.”

“They don’t have to,” Logan grinned, “We’re all going to go to the lake for the weekend. Every one of us including the kids. I’m sick of seeing the shadows in their eyes, sick of seeing the look of pain, of disgust when they see a scar, a mark. Just because they got sit on doesn’t mean they have to like it.”

Shaking his head Tank remained silent as Logan walked away from him. Turning and leaning against the wall he watched as Logan disappeared up the stairs, obviously the other man was searching for Rogue. A weekend retreat to the lake wouldn’t solve their problems, hell it wouldn’t even scratch at the surface but at least it was something normal, something that wasn’t connected to battle and Tank had to admit that was better than fighting all the time.

“Rogue seems a bit moody today,” Jubilee whispered softly from near his shoulder.

“Yeah? Why is that I wonder?”

“Bad night,” she replied softly. “She spent part of it in the sickbay, trying to hide from Logan.”

“What? Why?” Staring down at Jubilee Tank was shocked.

Jubilee shrugged, obviously debating whether to reveal her knowledge or not, “I think it had something to do with what she saw yesterday morning.”

“What did she see?” Tank followed Jubilee into the study and watched her close the door and do a quick check of the room. “Jubilation, what did Rogue see? Does it put the rest of you in danger?”

Jubilee shook her head; satisfied that the room was empty she sank into a chair, “No. She saw Kitty and Scott.”

“She seems them regularly.”

“Apparently not this way,” Jubilee flushed, “See they were outside and making love. Apparently Kitty was giving Scott a hummer and well he came, and part of it got on Kitty’s face and naked breasts and Rogue saw that.”

“So Rogue saw Scott ejaculate on Kitty instead of in her,” Tank eased along, searching for the answer.

“Yes,” Jubilee sighed,” In a lot of ways it reminded Rogue of what she suffered at the lab.”

“There were no indications of sexual abuse Jubilee. Her hymen was in tact, there was no scarring near the vaginal or anal area.”

Jubilee shrugged, “Doesn’t have to be penetration for a rape to occur.”

“What do you mean?”

Jubilee shrugged and looked away, a shadow crossing her face. “It doesn’t matter. Just forget I said anything.”

“No,” Tank knelt next to her, “Tell me what you meant. Did they hurt Rogue? What did they do to her? I need to know so I can help her get better.”

“Sometimes they made her watch when they hurt Kitty or I, sometimes they’d tie us together and use things so we were the ones doing the hurting. Sometimes they made us um do things to Rogue. The nights that they did that a lot of the time they covered Rogue in their cum,” Jubilee whispered painfully, a flush climbing her face. “Sometimes they pissed on her, but they always left her covered in that. She spent most of her time caked in their ejaculate, because of us.”

“No, that had nothing to do with you,” Tank pulled her close and closed his eyes at the pain in her voice and the anger building in his body. “Do you know if they did anything else to her? Did they penetrate her at all?”

“Once, some guard got cocky and sat on her chest trying to force her to perform oral sex, only she caught part of his skin and he went into seizures. That was early on during our captivity and after that they just used her for a depository. Tank don’t say anything, Rogue doesn’t really remember and I don’t want her to.”

“Does Kitty remember?”

“If she does she hasn’t said anything. We weren’t as lucky as Rogue to get mind blanking drugs. We weren’t important enough,” Jubilee looked at him sharply, “Does Logan know?”

“I think you’ll find that Logan knows a lot more than you think,” Tank replied softly. “He’s a very astute man.”

“He’s also been in a lab,” Jubilee replied softly. “I guess he’d know.”

“Look as much as I think we don’t want it, we need a vacation. This weekend at the lake will do us all a world of good.”

“But what about…?”

“If there’s trouble…we’ll deal with it,” Tank declared easily, “Now then we should find the others and let them know they need to pack. Three whole days at the lake will be a nice change of pace. Nobody to fight, nothing to do but relax, kick back, fish maybe.”

Shaking her head Jubilee sniffled, “You’re insane.”

Tank chuckled, “Aren’t we all.”
Chapter 28 by Shadowlady
The distinct whine of the engines of the Blackbird had Scott glancing upwards before he dropped the armful of wood he’d been carrying. Sprinting through the brush he hit the clearing where Logan and Tank were discussing the rather important placement of their food cache.

“Trouble,” Scott panted and pointed at the horizon. “I can hear the Blackbird.”

“What are they doing here?” Tank grumbled.

Scott glanced at him, “Could be any number of things. I know what they aren’t doing and that’s being smart. You’d think getting their ass kicked in their own home would knock a few brain-cells loose.”

Logan glanced at him then at Tank, “Tank get the kids to safety. Alert the girls, tell them they’re our last line of defense. The X-Men get past us; they have to protect the kids.”

With a nod Tank whirled and raced off with remarkable speed despite his huge bulk.

“What about me?” Scott asked, trying to catch his breath.

“I’m not so sure about you just yet,” Logan growled. “Somehow I think they came for you, and if they did I’m not gonna let ‘em take you. I’ll kill you myself before I let ‘em.”

“Take the collar off,” Scott snapped pointing at the metal around his neck, “Let me fight.”

“Why? Is Kitty that great a piece that you’re willing to alienate your wife, your friends?”

Moving to stand toe to toe with Logan Scott glared at him, “I do not give a damn about the X-Men. I live with the knowledge of what my wife’s petty jealousy did to three innocent kids. Do you really think..”

“They have a syndrome for siding with your captors you know?” Logan groused.

Scott shook his head, “I know. I asked Tank all about it. The only flaw in that plan is I sympathized with them long before Kitty took me prisoner. Can’t blame my actions on Stockholm Syndrome if I was on your side before I became a POW.”

Shaking his head at Scott’s impeccable logic Logan let the claws ooze out through his skin, “Then get ready to kick some ass.”

“The collar,” Scott reminded.

Sticking the key into the lock, Logan offered Scott a unique looking piece that reminded him of Jubilee’s eye-piece, “It’s an optic controller. Jubilee wears one because she’s blind, you can wear it to help you control your power.”

“Thanks,” Scott took them gratefully, sliding them into place as the collar fell away. A moment later he felt the familiar burn of his power tearing at his skull.

Turning to face the oncoming threat, he watched as Iceman, Piotr, and Beast slipped through the trees. “Oh shit, why those three.”

“They ain’t alone,” Wolverine’s low growl did little to ease Scott’s mind. “Storm’s with ‘em.”

“I’ll take the furball,” Tank grinned slightly. “Have fun with the others.”

“The girls and kids safe?”

“Yeah,” Tank nodded quickly, “Girls ain’t happy, but they’ll stay put for a while.”

Nodding Wolverine moved into a familiar crouch, his body tensing, his muscles bunching as he prepared for battle. Growling low in his throat he eyed the pair and focused on Piotr. The metal encased kid was more like to provide a challenge than the ice-cream maker.

“We came to get our own back,” Hank stated calmly eying the way the trio faced them, their bodies tensed for battle. “We don’t want trouble.”

“But you got it,” Tank drawled moving to flank the furry mutant.

“We don’t need to fight about it. Just let Scott go and we can all go home.”

“Don’t see no chain around his neck,” Wolverine snarled furiously.

“Scott, move slowly, come this way.”

Scott shook his head, “You think they’re gonna just let me walk away? Hank you’re supposed to be a genius.”

“Scott now isn’t…”

“It’s a perfect time,” Scott snarled, wishing Logan had told him how to operate the stupid eyewear he had on. “I’m not moving.”

“Don’t become the enemy,” Iceman warned. “Its not a healthy profession.”

With a shake of his head Tank glanced at Logan who nodded slightly, the movement barely perceptible to anyone who wasn’t watching for it. Moving rapidly, he broadsided the blue furball and sent him rolling a good ten feet, “Oops. Hey Doc you better learn how to stand up!” he chortled before ducking away, “Just cause I’m big don’t mean I’m not agile.”

With a furious snarl of his own Beast jumped at the brick-wall that had attacked him only to find himself flying through the air. Grunting as he landed hard, he was up and whirling to face his advesary even as he saw Colossus and Wolverine going at it.

“For the love of Science, we’re not the enemy,” he groaned even as he felt a solid weight descend on him.

“Yeah you are,” the low snarl in his ear had him baring his teeth and rolling, hoping to catch his attacker off guard.



“So you’re switching side huh?” Iceman taunted Cyclops. “It worth it to you? You like knowing you’re helping the very same people that hurt Jean that hurt the Professor?”

“Considering they got hurt first I think I can live with it,” Scott snarled ducking a punch easily.

“Really? Cause from where I’m standing you’re not better than they are. Just used up discarded pieces of filth the army should have killed. Do you get to pick which one you get to fuck?”

BLcoking a punch easily, Cyclops kicked him in the solarplexes and watched him stumble back. “Did you have fun fucking Jean?”

“She needed someone. Especially when she thought you were dead.”

“And you were overjoyed to do it weren’t you?” Scott grabbed him in a choke hold he’d seen Kitty use more than once in training. Tightening it he chuckled, “You go back and tell ‘em that Cyclops doesn’t play games. You come back, I’ll fry your ass.”

“You have no power anymore, they took it away.”

With a snarl of fury Cyclops shoved him aside and blinked his eyes a moment later the thin red line of power from the optic pieces burnt a narrow trench up to Bobby’s prone body.

“Seems to me I’ve still got it,” stalking across the ground he hefted the younger man by the collar and held him steady. “You go back and you tell Charles that he needs to really focus on what Rogue gave him. You tell him to relieve the horror, and the degradation that they suffered and then…then you can come back and call them trash! Next time I won’t just break a couple of bones, next time I’m gonna rip your heart out through your chest.”

Coughing Iceman shook his head, “You can’t win. You aren’t prepared to go against us.”

Whipping him around, Scott held him steady with an arm around his throat, “You take a look, a real good look. Tell me what you see? Hmm I’ll tell you what I see. I see Beast fighting harder than he’s ever fought before, I see Colossus almost out of the game, and I see you as a weak, little man who has no idea what he’s talking about.”

“Hey Cyclops don’t kill the little prick,” Wolverine snarled moving toward him. “I’d like a word.”

Shoving him aside he nodded, “Feel free. I’m done talking.”

“So Icicle, you thought you could come challenge us huh? Thought we’d give him back? No, not gonna happen. You tell Charles if he wants an all out war…he better recruit some real fighter’s because Frankenstein doesn’t play games. She just kills her enemies.”

Iceman nodded and stumbled toward Colossus was busy picking himself up off the ground. A moment later they were limping toward Beast just as the sky darkened and Storm made an appearance.

“As usual, she’s late,” Wolverine growled. “Take your friends home. Next time you won’t be so lucky!”

Collecting the guys Storm sent them toward the jet, her eyes white, her body bristling. “You think we’re gonna back off?”

“I think you’re stupid,” Cyclops snarled and turned to walk away.

“Don’t get on the wrong side of us Storm,” Wolverine growled. “Don’t write ‘em off because you’ll deal with me and you can’t win. You might take me out but then you’d really have a problem because then you’d have to deal with my girls.”

Staring at him for a moment Storm felt a chill go through her, “This isn’t over by a long shot Logan.”

“It was over the minute the army slapped ‘em behind those bars and you sat on your asses and did nothing!”


Breathing hard Logan watched the weather witch disappear back the way she’d come. A few minutes later the jet was taking off and heading south again.

“This is a long way from finished,” Tank drawled wiping at a cut on his face that was healing slowly.

“Finished? It’ll never be finished as long as they don’t understand,” Logan replied and glanced at him. “Good thing we heal, the girls would have fits if they sat the way you’re cut to pieces.”

“They will anyway,” Tank slapped him on the shoulder and headed for where he’d left the girls and the kids.
Chapter 29 by Shadowlady
“I can’t believe he said that,” Kitty whispered to Rogue and Jubilee as they sat idly flicking cards at the small table. “Who gave him the right?”

Glancing at Jubilee Rogue noted the pain, the shock in Kitty’s voice and knew beyond a doubt that if she didn’t find reinforcements from her friends she’d slide back into the pity she so often courted.

“He did it to goad Scott is all,” Rogue declared, “After all he can’t really let him get away can he? Not that he’s particularly worried – he is after all boning Jean.”

“But still, I thought we were friends. I thought…”

Jubilee rested a hand over top of Kitty’s, “He’s an asshole. And next time we see them you have our permission to kick his ass all the over the battlefield. You make him understand that he better not be judging us. We are after all Frankenstein.”

Giggling at the name Kitty nodded as the door opened and the trio of men stepped inside. Catching Scott’s gaze she flushed and looked away, hiding her hands within the folds of her shirt.

“Are we going home now?” Erica asked softly, hesitantly.

“No, not going to let those geeks spoil our relaxation,” Tank declared catching the look the girls exchanged and nodding at Logan.

“Come on, we were going to go fishing, the last one to the lake has to clean the fish,” Logan ordered as the kids scattered. Catching Rogue’s gaze he saw the flash of pain and anger and sighed.

“Scooter you better make this better!” he muttered as he ushered his girl out of the room.

“Why did we build a bunker out here?” Jubilee muttered at Tank as she walked past him. “Been thinking of that and realized you guys are way too organized.”

“Come on darlin’,” Tank wrapped an arm around her shoulders. “scott, you and Kitty coming?”

“Yeah,” Scott smiled at his girl, “Right behind you. So Kitty, you ever been fishing before?”

“No,” Kitty whispered as the others disappeared. “I think I’ll just stay here. I don’t…”

“Want to disappoint the kids,” Scott interrupted. “I’m going to assume you overheard what Iceman said?”

“Yeah, and he had no right to say that. I mean it’s not you guys sit down at night and draw straws about whose bed you’re going to crawl into… do you?”

Shaking his head Scott watched Rogue laughing at Logan who was trying not to get dragged into the water, “No we don’t. We don’t see what they see. I thought we had this worked out..”

“We did,” Kitty shrugged her shoulders, “I just.. I heard what he said it threw me back there. I mean what they did to us, what they made us do. We weren’t even worth the kindness one shows an old stray dog! I don’t know maybe its just cause I want them to see the women we’ve become that I keep looking for something decent..”

“You need to focus on other things,” Scott stated. “Like what we’re going to do with Rogue and Logan. She’s been a bit off lately.”

“Uh yeah,” Kitty glanced at him, “Jubilee and I know why but we’re not telling.”

“Something to do with me?”

“Not in the way you mean,” Kitty replied softly, a far away, haunted look in her eyes. “More about what you stand for. What you do.”

“Huh?” Scott stared at her in confusion.

“Never mind,” Kitty smiled softly, trailing a finger down his jaw, “Like the specs. Make you look distinguished.”

“You think so?”

“Yeah,” Kitty giggled and darted off. If it was a bit strained, a tad forced Scott chose to ignore it, instead he focused on her interaction with the others and the way she kept close to Rogue and Jubilee.

“X-geeks are gonna get their asses kicked,” Logan growled as he sank to the ground next to Scott and offered him a beer. “Kitty’s leading the charge.”

“I know. Don’t know how she heard what he said.”

“Was watching us. Should have known they wouldn’t stay put, we’re more important to them than their own health.”

Scott nodded, “What’s up with Rogue?”

Logan shrugged, “Why? You suddenly…”

“Not interested buddy. No just wanted to know what she’s got going on in that mind of hers. Kitty and Jubilee have been sticking pretty close to her, almost like something’s brought back the memories.”

“Something did,” Logan grunted and shifted. “She’s beautiful isn’t she? Not a scar to mar her features, not a mark on her to reveal what they did to her skeleton. That violation though is nothing compared to the mental hell she endures whenever she has a flash-back. She calls ‘em hauntings and I have to agree with her. They sneak in like a ghost and hold her in their grip until she has the strength to fight free.”

“Why doesn’t she come to you? Why not just drain a little of you and that would help, wouldn’t it?”

“Usually. Can’t hide the mental pain of being raped Scott, it sticks with you.”

“Speaking from experience are we?”

“You should know? Or are you gonna sit there and say you fucked Kitty willingly the first few weeks.”

“Couldn’t have done otherwise,” Scott replied. “I’m not ashamed of what I have with Kitty. I don’t…”

“Not saying you should be. Just saying that sometimes you have to recognize the signs to keep the demons at bay. The girls thought they could trust Iceman, thought him a friend – his little performance today shattered that thought. Nothing’s gonna go easy on ‘em from now on.”

“What do you mean?”

Turning his head Logan stared at Scott, “Frankenstein’s tired of being kicked around Scott. Might be a monster, but she’s got skills and the strength to use ‘em.”

“So we’re intercepting all the pick-ups from the X-men?”

“All the pick-ups, all the intel collections, everything. We made a point; they brushed it aside and turned this into war. Frankenstein’s trained to come out on top every time.”

Scott nodded, “I’m in. I’ve always been in.”

With a brief nod Logan fell silent for a moment, “You’re gonna have to talk to Kitty. We need you to train with her for some of her more academic skills.”

“Like computers?”

Logan nodded, “She can scramble a hard drive faster than Jean can hop beds. She can fix ‘em to.”

Laughing softly Scott nodded, “Okay. Let’s do it, let’s get ‘em where it hurts.”

“That’s what I’m talkin’ about,” Rising Logan moved toward the water. “Enough shop talk, this is our weekend.”

“And on that note we teach these kids how to fish,” Scott laughed at the disgruntled looks being exchanged. “Cause they need help.”




“I’m telling you Professor they’ve got him brainwashed or something,” Storm stated. “I would never believe he’d attack us.”

“Ororo we must face the fact that he’s beginning to respond to them. For whatever reason Scott is dealing with a very powerful group and we have to deal with that risk.”

“They aren’t powerful. If they had to stand on their own the girls would just crumple into a pile on the ground,” Bobby leaned against the table. “After all they left Logan and Scott to defend them. Ran like little kids.”

“Iceman you have no idea what we’re dealing with. For all intents and purposes it was like that walking wall I dealt with was having fun. Like has having a drink with a few good friends and playing touch football,” Hank drawled.

“Logan sure wasn’t too concerned with losing either,” Colossus rubbed his jaw. “Come to think of it, I think they were trying to make a point.”

“But why?” Jean rubbed at her forehead, “It’s not like we’re the enemy.”

“Scott gave me a message that doesn’t make sense,” Bobby shook his head. “I forgot about it for a moment.”

“What was that?” Charles asked.

“He said something about focusing on what Rogue gave you? What did she give you that he would think would be valuable?”

Charles paled slightly and turned from the table. It had taken him hours to block out those memories, those images and he didn’t want to reopen his mind to them. Could the means to end this be in them? Could he use them to exploit a weakness? The potential for a possible victory played before him.

He couldn’t afford to risk his people, couldn’t afford to risk getting anyone killed if he could do it without hurting himself. Glancing at the others as they waited patiently for him to speak he sighed, “She did a mind meld.”

“A what?” Jean gaped at him.

“Forced her memories into my mind. Only they aren’t all hers, she’s got at least four people’s minds in her own including one male guard.”

“So can you exploit those memories? Find a weakness? A loophole?”

“I can try.” Charles declared, “I’ll let you know what happens.”
Chapter 30 by Shadowlady
Author's Notes:
Warning: This chapter contains dark themes so if you're offended by this please do not read. Otherwise, I hope you enjoy the chapter. There'll be more up soon!
Closing the door of his office Charles smiled softly, the room was insulated against telepathy and would allow him the privacy he’d need to go through some of the memories he’d buried beneath his iron control.

Shifting uneasily in his chair, Charles breathed slowly, sinking into his mind in the hopes of watching without reliving the memories. The growing pain in his body told him he was foolish in that hope. Remaining stationary he let his mind sink into the tangled mess that was Rogue’s transfer.


Images of a children playing, a small white house on a quiet street were quickly over ridden by maniacal laughter. By the harsh clanging of bars slamming into place that echoed in the hallways. Voices muted by distance became distinguishable and suddenly Charles was sitting in a tiny, bare cell. Glancing around he swallowed hard at the rising bile in his throat. Blood covered the floor, the walls had bloody handprints. Small prints defensive ones littered everything in the room. Beneath his feet he could see the dried and disgusting evidence of sex. Semen was caked onto the floor, mixed with blood, with urine.

The stench was unbearable. Much like a roadside outhouse in the middle of the hottest part of the day. The disgusting odor swelled around him even as he heard the distinct sound of a key being inserted into the lock.

Pure terror filled him, breaking like a wave against the shore. Curling into a small ball he rocked back and forth, a softly spoken prayer on his lips, his body already gearing for the pain, for the agony of what was to come.

“Hey pretty one,” the sickening voice had him whipping around to see a tall, broad shouldered guard standing there with a nightstick in one hand, and a long thin blade in the other.

“Play time.” The soft tone belied the fear, the agony within Charles’ body as he waited, watched as several more shadows filled the doorway after the first guard. It was going to be another of those nights.

Shuddering in revulsion he watched the man approach, watched the lust and the hatred fill his eyes. Moving slowly away from him he backed himself into a corner, unable or unwilling to cry out. The firm pressure of the knife against his throat had him choking even as he felt the burn of something being shoved into his body.

The laughter from the others only added to the degradation and he choked on his tears as he felt the ruthless penetration of a foreign object. The hard, cold object slid free of him and he slid to the floor. Huddled in a ball, he watched as another of the guards slowly began to strip, a slow, evil grin crossing his face. Closing his eyes Charles lay there. There was no escape and running only made it worse.

Rough hands pulled him from the wall, pushing him down onto his stomach. Hands reached from out of the swirling mass of bodies to pull him onto his knees, his face forced into the cold concrete.

The ache between his legs intensified as a hard, warm penis slid into him. Each thrust of male hips forced him into the concrete, scratching his face, hands brutally grabbed at his skin, at his breasts. Someone pulled his head up off the floor by the hair at the very back. It was the only place it had been allowed and he knew it was because it was a handle for the men. Fingers digging into his jaw forced his mouth open and a moment later he was gagging on the hard penis being shoved roughly past his lips.


The scene changed slowly, the agony staying with him even as he realized the voices hadn’t faded, and they were still as strong as ever even if he couldn’t understand what was being said.

Searing pain washed over him as he watched the skin on his body being sliced into, cut open and spread out while boiling metal was poured into it. The images were a tad murkier because he was underwater, the lights from around the room reflecting within the water. Distant laughter and crude jokes that were barely legible filled his ears even as the mind blowing pain tore through his body.

The images of men, all in uniform surrounded him. His wrists were shackled to the wall, his body twisting, tugging futilely to get away. Screams that were achingly familiar filled his head past the drugs, past the blessed blankness even as he felt the hot wash of urine as it rained down upon him. Eyes unfocused stared back at him as he watched several guards mounting Jubilee, her face covered in blood, her mouth gagged, her hair shorn off. Each thrust, each slap barely penetrating the fog surrounding them even as he saw Kitty hanging from the wall, her legs covered in blood, her breasts twisted between what appeared to be handcuffs…



Jerking back from the memory Charles sat gasping in his chair. His body covered in sweat, his heart pounding, he could still feel the vestige of terror, of agony that wracked his body. Experiencing the events through their minds was horrific, but to experience it first hand, as the victim was more than he could bear.

Struggling to regain control he was barely aware of the tears streaking down his face, or the way his body curled into itself in protest of the agony. Hands used to holding the arms of his chair cupped his groin as he forced the memories back.


Long after the light had faded from the room Charles sat there in horrified silence. What could he possibly learn from the memories of being raped? There were no military secrets, no weakness to be exploited. No he would have to find the meaning behind that cursory message and do it without delving into the memories of three young women who had been brutalized.


“Professor?” Storm’s soft voice had him glancing up sharply to stare at her.

“Excuse me?”

“Are you alright?” Storm stepped into the office and closed the door.

Charles shook his head, not trusting his voice. He was far from okay, far from ready to have to confront the fear, the loathing that allowing himself to focus on the memories had wrought.

“Did you find anything?”

“Only my own fear,” Charles whispered shakily and stared at ‘Ro. “We have to stop them. We can’t let them continue building upon the hatred and fear the military gave them. If we don’t, we’re going to lose this one.”

“Are you sure?”

Charles nodded slowly, “Very. There is so much pain, so much anger within them and its all directed outwards. What we have is Wolverine…times five.”

Ororo stared at him, “Are you sure they’ve all been…”

“Wolverine is a killing machine Ororo, the army unwittingly made three more when they kept the girls alive. From what I understand the man that fights with them has some training as well… We’re not dealing with regular mutants. We’re dealing with…”

“Monsters?”

Charles nodded slowly, “I’m not prepared to give up on them yet. I believe we can reach them, that we can help them but to do that means we have to catch them.”

“If Logan’s trained them to disappear it will not be easy.”

Charles shook his head and glanced out the window, “Nothing in this world is easy. I must ask that you speak of this to no one. The other team members might not be so forgiving of them if they were to know.”

“Did you find any weakness to exploit?”

“No,” Charles rolled to the window, “There is no way to exploit them. The girls fight as one, they are joined in something so dark we can’t understand it. Logan and the other man fight for the girls.”

“And Scott?”

“He’s a wild card,” Charles replied. “One I’m not sure about.”

Nodding Ororo turned away, “I’ll keep it to myself. I give you my word.”

“Thank you.”

Long after the door had closed Charles sat staring out into the darkness his body wracked with the pain of the memories, his mind still struggling to control the images, and his resolve deepening. They had to win this war – for the girls’ sake if not their own.
Chapter 31 by Shadowlady
Slamming the door of the beat up old Volkswagen that Logan had managed to find Jubilee smiled at Erica and the newest addition, a tall, gangly boy calling himself Frank. “Okay no arguing. We have things to do today and I won’t be playin’ referee.”

“Yes ma’am,” Frank nodded quickly. “We’ll behave.”

Rolling her eyes at that sentiment Jubilee led the way into the small strip mall nearest their base. With school starting a couple of weeks Logan, Tank, and Scott had all insisted that the kids have stuff for it. Logan and Rogue had taken off for a week and come back with several thousands of dollars to be spent on the kids.

Now, a week later Jubilee was playing steward and had taken the two representatives to get supplies. Shop after shop was gone through until they’d spent most of the money. Assessing the number of bags Jubilee decided it was time to head home.

Following the kids out of the bookstore she paused at a familiar looking man standing next to a fancy suburban a few parking spots away from their battered car. “Iceman,” the low, furious snarl had both kids tensing.

“Miss Sparks?”

“Don’t worry. Just listen to me. When I say run, you get the hell outta here. You got it?”

“Got it,” Erica nodded quickly as they got closer to the vehicle.

Stowing the bags into the car, Jubilee pressed the keys into Erica’s hand. “Regardless of what happens you take Frank and you go home. Don’t look back, don’t argue, don’t do anything but go.”

Erica nodded and nudged Frank toward the car. Opening the door she let him slide inside before she glanced at Jubilee who was standing between them and the stranger. “Miss Sparks.”

“Go now!” Jubilee hissed her fists clenching as she assessed Iceman’s potential threat. When it came time to choose between her and the kids, she’d let him get her and save them. The worst that he could do was kill her… others had tried worse and she’d survived.

Sliding behind the wheel Erica closed the door and started the engine. “Buckle up Frank, looks like we’re running.”

“But we can’t…”

“Don’t argue.” Erica hissed. “She’s our only line of defense right now. You wanna risk getting caught?”

Frank swallowed harshly and shook his head, “No.” The snap of the belt clicking into place was enough to send the car lurching forward. Glancing once in the rearview mirror Erica pushed aside the need for tears as she watched a second man, slimmer, with a black look upon his face step out of the truck and confront Jubilee.

“Oh God,” she whimpered and hit the highway. With Wolverine’s teaching in her head she took the long way home. Heading east she sped along until she reached the five mile point before bouncing onto a dirt track and doubling around to come up on the highway twenty odd miles west of town.


“What’s the matter Iceman, you can’t handle facing a girl by yourself?” Jubilee taunted slowly every instinct within her body telling her to run and not look back. She couldn’t run, there were other lives, more innocent lives than hers at stake so she fell back on her training.

“I don’t see a girl,” Iceman replied coldly swinging the keys on one fingers. “Just…

“A used up piece of trash the army didn’t kill,” Jubilee finished. “We heard you the first time asshole. What do you want?”

“Simple. We want what belongs to us back.”

Jubilee shrugged, “I can’t help you. I don’t have anything of yours.”

“Yes you do,” the stranger with Iceman drawled indifferently. “And we’ll get it back.”

“For someone whose suppose to be smart you’re pretty stupid.”

“Perhaps. But then there are two of us, and only one of you. And your little team-mates have run like scared little kids. What’s that tell you?”

“That you’d better watch your ass,” Jubilee hissed at the sudden sharp dart of something into her thigh. Glancing down she recognized the familiar form of a tranquiller dart and shook her head. “Death wish kids,” she muttered even as she slid into a world of black déjŕ vu.



The soft sound of running water filled Jubilee’s head as she surfaced from the darkness. Opening her eyes a slit she glanced around and realized she was alone at least for a moment. Tilting her chin up she stared at the shackles that encircled her wrists and the heavy metal headboard.

Swallowing against a rising tide of fear and remembered horror she tugged on them, testing their strength. Realizing they wouldn’t break she glanced around her, there was no indication of something to help her.

“At least I’m still dressed,” she muttered under her breath even as she heard the soft sound of Iceman’s voice on the other side of the door. Snapping her eyes shut she forced herself to even out her breathing, to act like she was still unconscious.

The clunk of keys hitting a wooden table, the rough rasp of a zipper, the sound of breathing all gave her indications of her surroundings. The dip in the mattress beneath her sent a bolt of fear through her even as she felt the warmth of a hand caressing her face.

“Wake up Jubes,” the soft, almost tender voice belied the grip on her hair.

Opening her eyes she stared into Bobby Drake’s with cold disdain.

“So gald to see you awake. Was beginning to think you didn’t want to play with us.” He whispered nuzzling against her cheek.

Jerking away from him she centered herself. Old familiar survival mechanisms were revived and like a line of switches were slowly turning on. Each one shutting some part of her down.

“Fuck you,” she ground out.

“Oh you will,” Bobby whispered softly fingers plucking at the buttons of her blouse, “See the way I figure it. This is hardly new to you. After all if you can keep the army guys happy enough to want to keep you for so long…I should be nothing.”

The sound of the door opening and the other man stepping into the room a small, plain brown bag in one hand sent off warning flags in Jubilee’s mind.

“Oh let me introduce one of our newest team members, this is Warlok. He’s a mutant to. I do hope you don’t mind if he joins us. After all, three ways is hardly a drop in the hat for you…isn’t it.”

Slowly his voice faded until it sounded like he was at the end of a long corridor hollering at her. Retreating to the furthest corner of her mind, Jubilee hid from what she knew was coming. Instead she opted to sit in her mind and replay the list of names of those who had helped her since she’d gotten out.



The cloud of dust in the yard had barely settled before Erica stumbled from the car. Racing toward the front door she barely noticed the tremble in her hands, in her body as the door opened and Rogue stepped out.

“Where is Jubilee?”

“They got her,” Erica sobbed collapsing against the woman. “I don’t know who but she wouldn’t let them get us.”

“What are you talking about?” Rogue demanded ushering the girl onto the porch swing. “Who took her?”

“Some guy named Iceman,” Frank explained hovering over the girl sobbing in Rogue’s arms. “She said to run, not to look back. We did what we…”

“Where? Erica were you getting school supplies?”

Frank nodded, “We were just about to head home. She said we’d grab a burger before coming back and then we saw them. Standing beside this fancy black truck. Next thing we know she’s telling us to get in the car and go home. We don’t know where they took her.”

Rogue nodded and glanced from Frank to Erica, “The others are in the house. I want you to take the kids and go to the safe-house.” Raising a hand when he made to protest she stared at him, “Panther and I have some business to see to. I want you to do as I say. Wolverine, Tank, and Cyclops are out in the north field. They’ll be back in two hours. You tell them for me that Frankenstein has gone to collect a missing appendage.”

“But…”

“Do it,” Rogue ordered ushering Erica onto her feet. “Take her inside and get into the safe-house.”

As soon as the two obviously stricken teens were out of sight Rogue extended her claws and glanced up the stairs. “Katharine!” She called loudly. “Play time.”

A moment later Kitty was standing staring at her from the landing. “What’s up?”

“The X-men took Jubilee.”

Kitty’s face twisted into a hate-filled mask of fury, “Let me get changed.”

“You’ve got ten minutes,” she replied hurrying up the stairs to meet her friends gaze. “This time, it’s personal.”

Kitty nodded and hurried to her room to change. This time she wouldn’t allow them to get caught. Dressed and ready she belted on the semi-automatic .45 and headed down the stairs to where Rogue was standing holding the keys to the pair of high powered bikes that Logan had insisted upon.

“How far do you think they got?” Kitty purred as they mounted the bikes.

Rogue snickered and glanced at the other woman, “Oh I have no doubt they didn’t go far. I don’t think he grabbed her to take her back to New York.”

“You don’t seriously think he’d grab her just to hurt her like those other men did?” Kitty gaped at her in horror.

“I think that is exactly what he did,” Rogue revved the engine and leaned low over the gas tank. A jerk of her head and the visor slid down into place a moment before the bike roared down the driveway, followed by its twin.
Chapter 32 by Shadowlady
Shivering at the cold in the room Jubilee blinked at the rapidly falling darkness. Even in the furthermost reaches of her mind she’d been aware of what was going on around her. Each touch of a cold hand, each ‘caress’ had only sickened her.

Now once again alone she jerked in her bindings, thankful that they’d taken off the metallic shackles. Getting one hand free she jerked the gag out of her mouth and licked her dry lips.

“Fuckin’ idiots. You’d think they’d have figured out silk makes for a lot of things but not a good gag,” she muttered crossly before sitting up. Cringing at the sudden wetness beneath her ass she glanced down.

“Only Iceman would be stupid enough not to use a condom on someone whose spent time in a lab. Hope he gets some disease or something.”

“Not leaving us so soon are you?” the voice from behind her had her jerking around to stare at Warlok who sat smugly in the corner.

“Fuck you,” Jubilee hissed. “You think you’re something special? Ooh big man he knows how to rape a woman.”

“You aren’t a woman though,” Warlok drawled. “Just the left overs of the military.”

Jerking on the binding that still kept her a prisoner of the bed she grabbed for the blanket. Even covered in semen it was still better than sitting naked. Wrapping in it she pulled her knees up to her chest and sat there.

Slowly the pain began to seep into her awareness. The ache she remembers only too well had returned to between her legs. Her breasts where sore, bruises were beginning to mar her skin, and there were raw patches where something had cut in. Probably the shackles, or some rope, she thought staring at the marks. Even half –catatonic they’d still bound her, still used some restraint upon her.

Shivering, she clung to the blanket. It wouldn’t take long for the others to find her, and she needed to be awake when they did.


From her position atop the roof of the church Rogue scanned the area slowly, carefully. Smiling evily when she spotted a familiar figure leaving the local liquor store she glanced behind her to where Kitty sat playing with her gun.

“Target at one o’clock.”

Moving quickly, phasing through Rogue Kitty crouched down to eye Bobby as he moved through the darkness toward the parked SUV. “What do you think?”

“Let’s follow him. Find out where he’s stationed for the moment. Once we get there,” Rogue grinned and looked at Kitty before extending one claw, “We can play.”

“Be safe,” Kitty whispered as Rogue gathered the rope at her feet and swung gracefully over the edge of the building.

“Be safe,” Rogue echoed and disappeared into the dark.

A few moments later both were parking their bikes beneath the overhang of the local ‘hourly-rate’ hotel. The ramshackle building sat a good mile from town, and the proprietor was well known as being pretty laid back. As long as the money was green and everyone was of age he didn’t care who or what went on in the rooms.

“There’s only one room rented tonight.”

“Yeah and look, Iceman’s unloading what looks like the rest of tonight’s entertainment,” Kitty pointed out.

“Come on. Let’s see if he’s in a talkative mood.”

Moving through the shadows the girls were waiting for Iceman when he stepped out of the back of the SUV with a bag in one hand and the keys in the other.

“Well,” he snickered softly, “If I’d have known that you fuck one, you get all three I’d have come sooner.”

“What did you do to her?” Kitty hissed angrily.

“Oh don’t you think it would rather be more informative if I demonstrated,” he murmured.

“I think you’d better let her go,” Rogue drawled. “We’re not going anywhere without her.”

“Bullshit,” Iceman ground out, his charming veneer fading away. “You’re just as much a piece of trash as she is. You honestly think that Professor X is going to let you just steal away children? Interfere with our missions? Not likely. Whatever little bit of information you planted in his head didn’t take,” Iceman poked at Rogue. “He’s even more determined to stop you. Why else would he send us up here to keep an eye on you? You don’t have a chance.”

With a low snarl reminiscent of Logan Rogue struck out with a fist. Bending over at the waist Bobby gasped for air even as he felt another blow knock him back against the side of the truck.

“Guess what?” Kitty purred softly in his ear, “You should have just watched.”

Slamming his head back against the side of the truck Rogue barely noticed the dent or the thud as it connected. Instead she pulled him toward her even as she lifted her knee. The sharp gasp and the slight crunch told her that his ribs had taken a direct hit.

“Guess what bitch,” Rogue giggled softly, “I’m made of metal now, just like Wolverine.”

Tossing him away from her, she snickered when he hit the ground. “So you think you’re a big man huh? Think because you can get a hard-on that you’re tough. Yeah it takes courage to rape someone.”

Lifting his head Kitty squatted in front of him, “You aren’t even as much of a man as the kids we’ve taken in are. You’re lower than low, hell Sabertooth is more of a man than you. And he’s an animal.”

“I’m gonna enjoy making you scream,” Iceman wheezed. “Find out if you’re a better fuck than Jubes was. Just sorta laid there, didn’t scream or nothing.”

Kitty kicked at him, her boot connecting with his chin. Seeing the blood flowing from his mouth she snickered, “Looks like its you that’s bleeding bitch.”

Slowly crawling to his knees Iceman gathered himself, he’d freeze their asses. A swift, hard toed boot connected to his windpipe ended the thought even as another connect with his ribs. Gasping for breath he tried to crawl toward the hotel door, barely getting his legs under him.

Grabbing the support beam he pulled himself up part way only to scream silently when a boot connected with his thigh and a heavy crunch followed by a grinding sensation drove him back to the ground.

“Who else is in there?”

Iceman shook his head firmly.

“It wasn’t enough that you fucked Dr. Grey, huh? What’s the matter; she figure out she doesn’t want you anymore? Did she realize that you’re a boy trying to be a man and failing? Ooh wait she’s moved on to her next lover!” Rogue clapped much like toddler given a new toy.

“Freak,” Bobby wheezed, “You’re nothing but a whore...”

Jerking him forward Rogue glared at him for a split second before she smiled softly and glanced at Kitty, “Let’s show him what happens when you piss off whores?”

“Ooh, yes,” Kitty smiled softly, her hands going up to grab a handful of hair. “Since you seem to like whores, let’s see if you know how to be one.”

Grabbing the bag Rogue dug it open and pulled out a bottle. Uncapping it she handed it to Kitty and pushed Iceman against the pillar. “Open up,” she sing-songed and forced his head back.

Tipping the bottle Kitty began pouring ignoring his chocking and gasping as she did so. When she’d drained half the bottle she eased it back, “You know I don’t think he’s enjoyinghimself.”

“No, I don’t think so,” Rogue agreed. With a quick, ruthless shift of muscle she had a claw extended and cut the bottle at the base of the neck. Taking the top half she tilted it a little before looking at Kitty, “You got a gag?”

Iceman’s eyes darted fearfully between the two women as they glanced from the bottle, to the truck back to him. A moment later he found himself face down on the backseat of the truck, his hands shackled to the driver’s side arm rest, his ankles spread apart and tied.

“Now be a good little whore,” Kitty whispered patting him on the back of his head, “Because this is gonna hurt.”

A muffled scream tore through the parking lot a moment before Rogue and Kitty slammed the door shut and dusted their hands off. “Let’s get Jubes,” Rogue said as she advanced toward the door.


The shattered door bounced off the wall and Jubilee jumped even as her gaze darted to the open doorway. She could clearly see two figures there, both looking irate, both primed for battle. The long, shiny claws on one hand had her swallowing harshly even as Warlok stepped back from her, his hand letting go of her hair.

Spitting desperately she watched the two figures move into the room, her fear fading to be replaced by gratitude. “I knew you’d come for me.”

“Of course we would,” Rogue declared and eyed the man standing staring at them, his pants down around his knees. “You better get dressed bub, we’re not easy on naked men’s assholes.”

Glancing past the pair Warlok realized that the truck was moving, indicating that someone was struggling within it. “What did you do to Iceman?”

“Gave him a taste of his own medicine,” Kitty replied as Rogue advanced into the room. “So what’s your power hmm?”

“He can alter your mind. He’s a hallucinogen,” Jubes stated as Kitty untied her quickly.

“Really,” Rogue titled her head, “Guess what? I’m a bit altered shall we say. I can bounce your gift back at you. I’m also much more dangerous than anything Xavier led you to believe. Now it’s your choice… you wanna fight or you gonna be smart and take your friend to the nearest hospital. Last I saw he was bleeding pretty freely.”

Warlok glanced from each of the girl to the other and swallowed, “Xavier isn’t going…”

“You tell him, the next ones he sends I’m gonna send back in a bag!” Rogue growled slamming him into the wall and pushing her claws at his throat. “A very small bag and he’ll need more than Dr. Grey and Beast to put ‘em back together again.”

With a slow nod Warlok eased toward the doorway. A moment later he was hurrying to the truck. The slam of a door drew Rogue’s attention even as she realized that Warlok had to be stunned by what he was seeing.

“You know Kitster,” Rogue started conversationally, “I think we should have found something to stick in the neck of that thing.”

“Really?”

“Yeah it’s kinda hollow, what’s the point of shoving it up his ass if he can’t feel the whole thing?”

Jubilee laughed at the words before glancing up at her friends. “Thank you.”

Rogue glanced at her a moment before the sound of tires screeching in the evening air had her watching the SUV disappearing, “Frankenstein doesn’t need thanks.”

Nodding Jubilee glanced at the open door. “Uh do you think it would be safe to shower?”

“Honey,” Kitty pushed her hair back from her face, “We’ll stand watch if you need to go wash their filth off yourself.”

Jubilee nodded. Rising she padded into the bathroom and started the shower. With the water pelting into her skin she let go of her control. Her breath exploded out in a sob and she sank to the bottom of the tub and rocked back and forth. Long after the hot water had gone tepid and cold she sat there knowing her friends would wait for her.

Bathing in cold water was not one of her favorite things but she couldn’t go home covered in another man’s essence. Stepping out of the shower she dried off and wrapped the largest towel around her body before opening the door to see Rogue in the doorway, Kitty in the chair and a pair of jeans and t-shirt on the table.

Dressing in silence she swallowed, “Uh does anyone have any gum?”

Holding up something Rogue rolled her head and looked into her eyes, “Here. Stronger than gum…and it’ll help ease the memories for a while.”

Taking the bottle Jubilee sank to the floor next to Rogue and took a long swallow of the whiskey even as she winced at the burn. “Thanks.”

“What do you think Tank’s gonna do?” Jubilee asked after she’d downed nearly a third of the bottle.

“Depends on what you mean?”

“I never thought they’d do this?” Jubilee stared at the bed, “Never once believed that they could be so cruel.”

“Tank won’t blame you for their actions.”

“He should,” Jubilee replied taking another drink. “I stood my ground, I refused to back down. Maybe I asked for it, maybe like Bobby said I’m nothing but a whore who’d spread her legs for anyone.”

“Bullshit,” Rogue snarled. “They raped you simple as that. They can say anything they want, the truth is he deserved what he got.”

“Uh what exactly did you do to him?” Jubilee asked quickly.

“Exactly what we said,” Kitty giggled and reached for the bottle. “Shoved the cut neck of a bottle up his ass… cut end first!”

Chuckling Jubilee reached out a hand to Kitty, “What would I do without you?”

“Spend a lot of time at the mall?” Kitty teased gently.

“Come on, the guys’ll be frantic if we don’t get home.” Pulling Jubilee to her feet Rogue wrapped an arm around her shoulders. “I’d hate to get Logan upset, kill all of us with shock if he started bawling his eyes out.”

Giggling at the image the trio slipped out into the darkness and over to the bikes. Rolling up to the office Rogue dismounted and walked inside, “Hey Mort.”

“Hey Streaks, what’s it gonna be tonight?”

“Room 17’s gonna need some work. Here,” tossing some bills on the counter Rogue turned and walked out the door.



Home had never looked more welcome and yet so scary. Wordlessly they crept inside and headed for the stairs. Spotting the guys standing around looks of concern on their faces the trio merely clung to each other and moved slowly up the stairs. Time for talking would come later.
Chapter 33 by Shadowlady
Author's Notes:
The rating on this one is more like NC17 then R so just a bit of a heads up.
Rubbing his eyes Tank stared at the paper before him. It had been three days since they’d returned to find the girls missing and only a vague message awaiting them. To sit and do nothing had been hard, but the looks in their eyes when they’d come in a few hours before dawn had been harder.

Now, he was once again sitting alone going over medical records of the kids rather than sleep in an empty bed. Logan and Scott had both suffered the same thing. It appeared that the girls had retreated from everyone into a spare bedroom.

“Hey Doc how’s it going?” Logan asked walking into the room.

“Been better,” Tank replied softly. “Helen phoned. Wanted to know if we need anything.”

“What did you tell her?”

“That we didn’t want anything.”

“What she say to that?” Logan muttered dropping into a chair and staring at the other man.

“That want wasn’t the same as need. She also said that Xavier managed to get to Iceman and Warlok and get them both back to New York before the local authorities even knew they’d been in the area.”

“Figures he’d do that. She say where Xavier picked Warlok up from?”

“Didn’t know. Any word from the girls?”

“No,” Logan leaned back in his chair, his fingers interlaced on his stomach, “I’m getting worried. Whatever happened we need to find out…”

“Uh hello Jubilee,” Tank stood a slight smile on his face. “Come in.”

“Uh have you got a few minutes?” Jubilee whispered softly. “I don’t want to interrupt.”

“For you I’d make the time even if I didn’t,” Tank said circling his desk. “Please, have a seat.”

“I uh think I’m gonna go grab a beer,” Logan drawled and slid out the door closing it soundlessly behind him.

“How are you doing Jubilation?” Tank asked settling her in a seat and waiting.

“Okay, I think. Rogue and Kitty have been stickin’ pretty close to me.”

“I’m willing to listen if you would like to talk.”

“Nothing to say,” Jubilee looked him the eye. “Just answer one question for me. And I want an honest answer as well.”

Tank nodded quickly. Whatever it was he would be supportive, honest… even if it killed him. “Of course I will.”

“Do you still want me?”

Tank looked at her steadily, “Of course I do. Why wouldn’t I?”

“I know they didn’t tell you what happened…”

“No one has said anything to me about what happened a few days ago. What does that have to do with us?”

“Iceman…” Jubes paused tearfully.

“I don’t care about that.” Tank sighed at her shocked look, “That didn’t sound right. Look that has no bearing on how I feel about you. I’m hurt that someone would do that to you, I’m sad that I wasn’t there to protect you, and I’m angry that no one seems to give a damn about what you suffered, about what they allowed their freaks to do, but I don’t think less of you.”

“Can we um..” Jubilee flushed, “You know be intimate now? I mean here?”

Smiling Tank nodded and leaned forward to rest his forehead against hers, “Anywhere, any time. You’re my girl and I love you.”

“I’m clean. I washed really good Tank,” Jubilee whispered her fingers clutching at her shirt. “Rogue and Kitty…”

Putting a finger on her lips Tank leaned forward to press, soft butterfly kisses across her cheeks, nose and eyes, “Cleanliness has never been a problem.”

“You sure. I even brushed my teeth a million times in the past couple of days.”

Nodding Tank bent his and kissed her gently, softly. Coaxing a response from her with soft, loving kisses he waited for her to respond, waited for the cue to take things deeper regardless of what his body might be screaming for.

When she moved into his touch, her body relaxing from its tense position he pulled her a little closer. Releasing her lips he trailed hot, moist kisses down her throat to suckle at her pulse point. The feel of her pulse pounding beneath his tongue drew a slight smile.

“God I want you so badly Jubilation,” he groaned and nipped at the pale skin marred only by thin white lines.

Her soft moan was the only verbal answer as she tipped her head back, exposing her throat to him. Licking, suckling he quickly unbuttoned her blouse and tossed it aside even as he slid out of the chair and onto the floor.

“Tell me if its too much,” he muttered against the upper swell of her breast.

Jubilee moaned softly, her head nodding frantically like a rag dolls. “Feels good.”

Tank hid a smile even as his gaze darted over her skin. Seeing the redness from where rope had cut into her delicate skin he forced himself to push aside the rage. He had much more important things to do at the moment. Things that would enable him to have a sense of normalcy back. Still he took the time to kiss each wound, to show his appreciation of her feminine body with his hands, his mouth.

Turning his head he took her breast in his mouth, his tongue tracing over the plumpness. That it had no nipple was irrelevant, instead he laved more attention on it. Nipping and sucking until she was moaning, her fingers buried in his hair, her body arching up to get deeper into his mouth.

Sliding a hand down her body he shifted, searching for a way of doing it without twisting himself into all sorts of odd positions. Finding the snap on her jeans he undid them even as she lifted her hips and he slid them down off her body to her ankles. Tossing her shoes aside he tugged on the stiff denim until it was pooled beneath him.

Jubilee gasped at the feel of work roughened hands trailing over her abdomen. Shuddering as the calloused fingers slid over her most sensitive anatomy she cried out softly, pushing aside all memories of what she’d gone through mere days before. Instead she let her body feel, truly feel what Tank was doing to her.

“Tank, please,” almost sobbing she shifted her hips, trying desperately to get some friction on her clit. She need a little help to get over the edge, a bit of a push even as she felt his mouth move to the other breast, the one she considered whole, perfect. Feeling his teeth on her nipple she moaned, her teeth sinking into her bottom lip even as she arched into him.


“Tell me, talk to me baby,” Tank muttered moving up to kiss her harshly, his need clawing at him, burning within him until he ached.

“I want you,” Jubilee whispered painfully, “I want you to taste me, to take me, I need you to fill that ache…”

Tank smiled softly before leaning back and jerking his shirt off. A moment later his boots, jeans and socks were in a heap on the floor. Hissing in a breath as he felt warm fingers tracing over his abdomen he glanced down at Jubilee who watched him steadily.

The cotton of his boxers brushed against his skin in a soft caress as they were pushed aside. Gasping he forced himself to stand still as she took his length in her hand, the faint shadow in her eye told him to let her lead. That there was more to this than just needing to be fucked was obvious to him. Grabbing his desk he held firmly, his knuckles white as she took him in her mouth, her tongue doing wonders to his length.

When she pulled back he smiled down at her, the look filled with pride even if it was a bit strained. Watching her he saw her rise to her feet before fold her legs under on the seat. Kneeling before him she traced nails over his chest, plucking at his nipples, scoring the hard muscled flesh teasingly.

“Tell me what you want,” he whispered as she stared at him.

“Prove them wrong,” she whispered softly. “Please.”

Nodding Tank pushed away from the desk and into her arms, kissing her with almost brutal intensity. A sift of muscled arm and she was against his chest. Turning around he shoved things off his desk, spreading her out there and leaning over her to stare into her face.

“They are so very wrong,” he whispered sliding slowly into her body. Pulling almost out he slid home again and again letting the fire lick at them, the need feeding the flames of their desire. He could feel her arousal, see it in the flush on her skin, the sheen of sweat, the puckering of her nipple, the warm, wetness between her legs. The way her legs wrapped around his waist, her heels digging into his thighs, her nails scoring his back as she arched into each thrust revealed her desperate need.

“Tell me who’s making love with you Jubes,” Tank growled near her ear. “Tell me who I am.”

“Tank,” Jubilee gasped arching into him, he was going so slow, so agonizingly slow and she wanted fast, hard, merciless, “Harder please.”

“No,” Tank shook his head, his arms aching with the strain of keeping his full weight off her, his body burning to just slam into her. “Not until you tell me what you want exactly. Word for word. Tell me Jubes, tell me what you need to make you cum.”

Shaking her head Jubilee nearly sobbed in frustration at his words. She didn’t want to voice what she wanted, she didn’t want to sound like a whore, like some used up piece of trash.

“You aren’t trash baby, you’re mine and I’ll do whatever you want…as long as you tell me what it is,” Tank muttered licking at her jaw, tasting her sweat even as he saw the lone tear streaking down her cheek.

“I don’t want to be a whore,” Jubes sobbed.

“You aren’t. You are nowhere near a whore!”

Sobbing Jubilee clutched at him, her head thumping back against the desk as she felt him slow before pull out completely. Wrapping her arms and legs around him she shifted, arched toward him, hoping, needing to be taken needed the violence in him.

“Tell me baby,” Tank whispered softly, nuzzling into her hair. “Tell me what you want.”

Jubilee shook her head even as she felt herself on the edge of the cliff with no way to get off. Crying out as his hand brushed over her curls, soothing, and yet building the ache even more she clung to him.

“Tell me,” he growled pulling back slightly, slipping out of her grasp around his neck and leaning back. “Tell me what you want.”

Shaking she dropped both hands over her eyes, letting the tears flow freely. “I’M NOT A WHORE!”

“No, you aren’t. Tell me.” Tank shot back.

“Just fuck me okay! Anyway you want, just…”

“No, this isn’t about what I want. It’s about you.”

Blinking through the tears Jubilee stared at him, “I want to be taken hard, fast. I want to feel you against my cervix. I want to cum. I want to be treated like a woman. I want to know that when its over, when you’ve com that you’d trust me enough to taste us. I’m not a whore, I’m not. I’m not. I’m not!”

Pulling her up by her arms, Tank held her close, his chest tight, his face bearing a look of horror and rage as he buried it in her hair. “No baby, you’re not. You’re not a victim either.” The desire, the need that had been thrumming through his body mere moments before fading in the wake of the empathy and need to sooth.

Hearing the sound of the door open he turned his gaze to it and glared hard for a moment before he realized it was Logan.

“Everything okay?” Logan mouthed.

Tank barely nodded even as he used his own body to protect Jubilee’s naked form. “Working on it,” he mouthed back.

The softest of clicks had the door being closed again, leaving them to their ghosts.

“Please Tank, I’m not. I promise. I didn’t want him, I swear…”

“Hey, hey,” Pulling away Tank took her face between his hands and stared at her. “Tell me what he did. Tell me what makes you say such things to me.”

“I tried not to think about what they were doing,” Jubilee sobbed wrapping her arms around his neck and burying her face in his shoulder. “I went back to my mind, went inside me.”

“Then tell me what you remember.”

“An icy touch,” she whispered, “I remember being tied to the bed, I remember there being two of them, remember the suffocating feel of a hard cock shoved in my mouth. I remember Iceman didn’t use a condom. The other one did I remember. I remember the feel of the bedspread scratching against my face…”

“Let me examine you,” Tank said, “As your doctor. Let me see if there’s any tearing, or signs of infection. Did Rogue and Kitty take you to the hospital?”

Jubilee shook her head, “No. I had a long shower, drank a bottle of whiskey and came home. Kitty gave me one of those pills you have.”

“Which ones?”

“The emergency ones. In there,” Jubilee pointed to the locked cupboard that contained the drugs he had on hand for rape victims, for unprotected sex, “She gave you a twenty-four hour pill?”

Jubilee nodded. “Rogue told her which one to get.”

Tank nodded, “Alright. I’m gonna get something for you, just wait there.”

Taking care to caress as he walked away Tank moved to his medicine cabinet and pulled it open. Pulling out a syringe he filled it with a small amount of a relatively new drug before walking back to Jubilee. A soft smile as he wiped antiseptic over the spot on her hip he watched her close her eyes, heard her intake of breath, and injected it into her system.

“What was it?” Jubilee asked softly as he rubbed at the small spot.

“It’s a very powerful antibiotic; small amount is all you need.”

“Why?”

“If he had anything if either of them had even a hint of something this will kill it.”

“Do you still want to examine me?”

“Yes,” Tank replied firmly. “Lets play doctor patient.”

Giggling Jubilee slid off his desk and started for the gurney he had set up. Hopping up onto it she glanced around, “No stirrups?”

Chuckling at her attempted joviality Tank unfolded them from near her ankles, “Stirrups it is. Anything for my girl.”



From the hallway Logan ground his teeth fury in his gaze before he turned and walked away. The poor kid had retreated so far into her mind she didn’t remember half of what they’d done, but it didn’t matter. He wanted blood.

“We got it already,” Rogue’s soft voice had him pausing mid step.

“What?”

“Blood. We got it,” Rogue stepped closer to him. “Xavier’s probably wondering what the hell happened to his precious X-Man.”

“What did you do?”

Rogue grinned evilly, “I cut the neck off a bottle of whiskey then Kitty and I tied Iceman face down in his SUV and shoved the cut end up his ass. Last we saw of him he was bleeding pretty good to.”

“I’m going to make a phone call, you coming.”

“Sure,” Rogue fell into step with him. “Uh I’m sorry you’ve been sleeping alone lately. I’ll make it up to you okay?”

Stopping Logan stared at her for a moment, “You did what you had to for your friend. If I’m that desperate for sex, I’ll jack off. You aren’t my whore.”

Rogue shifted uncomfortably, “Depends on who you ask I guess.”

“No it does not!” Logan snarled ignoring the appearance of Scott and Kitty. “The people I’d be concerned with don’t think like that, and I hear that outta your mouth again and I’ll turn you over my knee!”

Rogue shrugged, “They think it.”

“They aren’t important.”

“But it is true,” Kitty whispered. “We’re different. We don’t see it the same as everyone else. Look what happened.”

“That has no relevance on this! Iceman got what was coming to him, and if they all died tomorrow it wouldn’t matter to me. What matters to me is that you don’t fall for this trick!” Logan growled fury in every line of his body.

“What trick?” Scott demanded.

“Whatever Xavier thinks we are, he’s out to break us. To make us weak so we’re easily dealt with. I’d be willing to bet money he thinks he can help us… make us like the rest of his little geek squad. Hell, you three women are stronger in one finger than his entire team. If we let what happened to Jubilee effect us to the point where you’re thinking she had it coming, that she wanted it…you’re thinking like he is.”

Rogue and Kitty stared at him before glancing at each other, “But don’t you see what happened to us? When you look at us doesn’t the fact that we were in that place, that we lost…”

“You didn’t loose anything. Xavier and his geeks set you up. Period. End of discussion. We aren’t like them, we aren’t to rape and humiliate. Just because he thinks it’s a tool to be used doesn’t mean I do, Scott does, or Tank does. We don’t.”

Kitty glanced at Logan then at Scott, “Then what are we doing?”

Logan sighed, “We’re going to live life is what we’re doing. We’re healing. This team is going to prove to Xavier, to the army that we aren’t like them. We have morals, we have standards…we’re not disposable.”

Rogue scurried off after him as he stalked off, “Logan, Logan wait.” Pulling him around to face her she sighed, “You’re right Logan. We aren’t. But we can’t go into this blind. The army made us stronger than we believed we could be. Xavier’s trying to weaken us. How do we win?”

“We just take it one day at a time,” Logan replied firmly. “Now then, lets go see what we can dig up shall we?”

“Who are you phoning?”

Logan chuckled, “Xavier. Way I see it, a little messin’ with his mind won’t hurt.”
Chapter 34 by Shadowlady
Hanging up the phone Charles moved to the window and stared out. Rage warred with sorrow as he listened intently to the sounds of laughter outside his window. Shifting uneasily he glanced at the desk before returning his attention to his vigil.

“If you think you’re gonna break Frankenstein you got another think acomin’.” Logan growled. “Next time you send a freak up here we’ll send them back in a bag, a very small bag.

“Judging by the shape Iceman was in when we retrieved them I’d say I should be the one issuing warnings Logan. You had no call to go and….”

“No right? Yeah tell it to someone who might actually give a rats fuckin’ ass. You sent him up here to test the waters huh? Figure oh they’re just trash, just used and abused objects that the army got tired of. Wrong, they’re real, live women. You’ve done some shitty things X but this one takes the cake.”

“I have no idea of what you are speaking?”

Harsh, bitter laughter drifted over the phone line, “Sure. Like you didn’t send Iceman and his new friend up here to rape one of ‘em. You can deny it until hell freezes over but I’m gonna tell you right now. What happened to that little fucker was what he had coming, and next time he’s gonna get worse. Next time I’ll be there, and I won’t be so nice.”

“Nice? Having broken glass inserted into his anus is hardly nice. Oh well I guess for you it would be considered a pleasantry.”

“It is. But I wasn’t there, that was Frankenstein in all her furious glory. See she’s not exactly the dumb monster you were thinkin’.” Logan paused a moment, “I’m assuming you didn’t follow the instructions we sent back with Iceman when we had a gentlemanly spar. If you had you’d never have authorized this… but then you don’t give a shit anyway so what difference does it make? You wanted a war, you got it.” The click of the receiver was loud, telling Charles that Logan had slammed the phone down in fury.

Now Charles had to reassess the situation, reassess Iceman’s loyalties. For him to do something as vile as follow in the military’s footsteps with one of their own was beyond reproach. Although he had his doubts about Logan, he’d never known the man to make an accusation such as this without just cause. Even when it concerned Rogue, Logan had never reacted so maliciously, instead he’d followed his usual threaten, beat, mangle routine. There had been no accusing, no taunting.

With a soft sigh Charles opened his mind, *Hank could you come to my office please?*

A few moments later he glanced up as Hank stepped into the office, “Yes Charles?”

“As Robert’s treating physician um I realize you can’t reveal a great deal of details but would you be able to answer some questions for me?”

“As you said I can’t reveal details but I will tell you what I can.”

“How bad is Robert injured?”

“Well he’s not going to be sitting any time soon. He’s remarkably healthy, remarkably whole all things considered. He has some severe abrasions, cuts, bruises nothing life threatening thankfully.”

“When you saw him upon his return to the mansion was there any indication of sexual activities?”

“Yes, I found secretions in his pubic hair, as well as indications that he’d used a anti-ejaculation device.”

Charles nodded slowly, “Have you spoken to Warlok?”

“No sir.”

“Thank you,” Charles smiled tightly. “Are they both in the med-lab or have you given them…”

“I’ve got them both in the med-lab.”

“Professor?” Storm’s concerned face appeared in the doorway, “There’s something here for you?”

“What is it?” Charles moved toward her just as a delivery man rolled a long, narrow wooden box into the room and set it down. After signing for it, Charles took the envelope off it and opened it.

“What is it?” Hank asked quickly noting the sudden paler in Charles’s face.

“A coffin,” Charles replied softly.

“What do you mean a coffin? Whose?”

Charles shook his head and handed the page over to Hank.

Glancing down at it, Hank glanced at Storm. “Sir they’re just playing with your head. I’m sure that it’s not serious.”

Charles glanced at them then shrugged, “Perhaps. I will speak with Mr. Drake and Warlok shortly. Until then please keep this quiet.”

“Of course sir.”

Staring at the box Charles shuddered, Iceman and Warlok had no idea what they’d disturbed. Now it was up to him, up to his most experienced team members to repair the damage.



Thanking his luck that the hallways were indeed empty Charles made his way down to the medlab. Rolling through the doors he found Iceman laying face down on his gurney and Warlok up pacing around.

“Evening Professor,” Iceman said eying him carefully.

“I wish to speak to both of you,” Charles stated coldly. “It has been brought to my attention that you deviated from the set parameters of the mission I gave you.”

“Well sir, it was…”

“Silence,” Charles snarled. “You have endangered the lives of countless children with your stupidity. Have you no idea what you did? Are you so blind? So foolish that you can’t see what’s in front of your face?”

“What do you mean?” Warlok asked softly.

“I got a phone call a while ago. A declaration of all out war from Logan and this Frankenstein organization. They made it abundantly clear that they would not hesitate to come back here and take prisoners. I will not risk the lives of countless children just because the pair of you wanted to get your genitals wet!”

“But sir..”

“If you weren’t necessary to keeping this school safe I would report you both to the appropriate authorities. However, I have no choice but to allow you to remain here. Under no condition from here on out until the girls are safely back here are you to socialize with anyone of the opposite sex. I will not permit your behavior to carry over here!”

“But sir..”

“But nothing, I am not about to have another coffin delivered to my office! You have both signed your death warrants and I am not entirely certain that I can contain Wolverine and his team if they happen upon you. Have I made myself clear?”

“Very.” Iceman replied stiffly. “But it’s not like it was any loss? She was askin’ for it.”

Charles glared at him, “You threatened her safety, she wouldn’t have run. Now I have no doubt that we will be getting a visit from them at some point and I fully intend to be prepared. Upon leaving here, you’re confined to base.”

Turning Charles rolled out of the medlab, ignoring the rage that simmered in both young men. He had other, bigger things to deal with – like settling Wolverine and his team down enough to talk peace. He didn’t doubt that he could defeat him, that he could win this war, but to do that he needed to have the girls on his side.

Right now, his side wasn’t looking to good even to him!
Chapter 35 by Shadowlady
With the guys out working on the new corral that Tank had insisted up on having Rogue sat in the kitchen idly staring at her coffee cup. Kitty was sleeping, a long, lust filled night with Scott had obviously worn her out. Jubilee was sitting in front of the television in the den, surrounded by kids.

The sudden beaping of the phone had Rogue rising to walk across the room, “Monster House,” she stated calmly.

“Hello Frankenstein,” the soft, sultry voice had her immediately tensing. “Your uh play toy was spotted about three hours ago.”

“Where?” Rogue demanded grabbing a paper and pen. “Calgary. I can dispatch a helicopter for you but it will take twenty minutes.”

“No need. We’ll take our own set of wheels.”

“Agreed.” The line went dead.

Walking across the hall Rogue leaned against the doorjamb, “Jubes?”

“Yeah Rogue?”

“You wanna play today?”

Turning her head Jubilee stared at Rogue, a sudden wash of fear racing over her. A growing smile at the dark, dangerous glint in the other woman’s eyes crossed her face. “Where and when?”

“We have a flight to catch,” Rogue replied and turned to walk away.

“Miss Jubilee?” the soft query had her glancing to her right. “Is everything okay?”

Jubilee smiled warmly and nodded, “Just gotta go pick up someone is all.”

“You taking the guys?”

Jubilee shrugged and rose to her feet, “No, just Rogue and I are going.”

“Okay.”

Obviously satisfied with her answers the kids went back to watching the television, unaware of Jubilee’s slow, but steady departure from the calm woman then knew.

“Who are we hunting?” Jubilee whispered to Rogue as they moved up the stairs.

“Iceman was spotted in Calgary. I figure we can go make a point of saying hello. See how the little whore is doing.”

Jubilee nodded and lifted the edge of her coat to reveal a small, silvery dagger. “Wonder if Xavier liked our little gift box?”

“I don’t know,” Rogue grinned steadily. “What do you think?”

“I think he might like it better if we were to put something in it… after all it is only an empty box!”

Laughing softly Rogue tugged her jacket into place and belted it securely. Glancing up at the opening of the door she met Logan’s gaze steadily.

“Where are you going?” Logan asked softly as he walked toward them.

“To get some ice,” Jubilee replied stomping a foot into her steel-toed boot.

“You uh want some company?” Tank asked softly.

Sharing a glance Rogue shrugged, “If you want to come. We’re not planning on being nice though.”

“Good,” Logan growled as he trailed a finger down her streaks, “Nice isn’t what he deserves.”

“Should we get Scott and Kitty?” Tank paused momentarily.

“Naw, let ‘em rest. They had a busy night.”

Jubilee flushed slightly and looked at Tank, “Uh yeah.”


Digging out his keys Logan walked toward the four-by-four. Glancing up at the sudden snort from the door he smirked at Scott, “What’s up?” he asked giving him a telling look.

“Heard you guys in the hallway. You heading out to kick some ass?”

“No, just going for ice.” Rogue replied. “You and Kitty mind holding down the fort?”

“Not at all. Just remember it’s your turn on kitchen duty tonight.”

“I haven’t forgotten. If we’re late just order in pizza or something.”

“Okay but if you’re too late Kitty’s gonna start…”

“Hey, we’re going out. Just enjoy the solitude,” Jubilee stated calmly. “Because when we get back Kitty’s gonna be working overtime.”

Studying them Scott nodded slowly, obviously this was something they had to do. Keeping his opinions to himself he watched in silence as they left. Long after the taillights had faded he stood there wondering just when Xavier would wise up.



Hunkered in the dark alleyway Logan glanced at Tank before nodding at the pair of young women who were hunched together. They’d been waiting, watching for the better part of an hour and all of them were aware that Robert Drake was located in the room across the way.

Shifting, getting impatient Logan shifted toward Rogue, only to stop at her upraised hand. A moment later the lines of her body tensed, her shoulders rolled and the first inches of her claws slid out soundlessly.

A glance at Jubilee showed the same tension, the same gathering of well trained muscles and Logan smirked. They’d learned and learned well.

“Stay here,” Rogue’s soft command had Logan and Tank sharing a furious look as the two girls slid out into the street. A moment later the sound of a body hitting something hard echoed into the alleyway and they flinched.

With the cloak of darkness still about them Rogue and Jubilee ambushed Bobby, knocking him unconscious. Hefting him between them they slipped into the shadows, easily taking the round about way back to the darkness of the rear alley.

Dumping him Rogue stared with disdain at him. Obviously being Jean Grey’s lover wasn’t all it was cracked up to be if the dark shadows and the weariness that clung to him was any indication. Or perhaps he was becoming aware of just what he’d become. Either way she felt no sympathy for him.

“What do you wanna do now?” Jubilee asked hunched down by his body, her blade swinging between her fingers.

“Nothing here. We need to take him somewhere quiet; somewhere we can have a little fun without worrying about someone callin’ the cops.”

“That old warehouse we passed might work. It’s pretty run down…”

“It’s perfect,” Rogue replied quickly before turning and spotting Tank and Logan moving toward them. “Can you carrying him over there?” she pointed to the shadow of the building she was about to take over.

“Can Logan drink beer like water?” Tank replied and hefted the smaller man over his shoulder.

Sitting on the empty crates left behind Logan and Tank watched Jubilee and Rogue. The two women stood shoulder to shoulder, their heads tilted as they contemplated the man hanging from his wrists a good three feet off the floor.

He was slowly regaining consciousness and the women were waiting impatiently for him to awaken. Rogue kept flicking her claws in and out, Jubilee tapped a toe impatiently before shifting to rub shoulders with Rogue before making a soft snorting sound.

“We need something to wake him up.”

“Cold water?”

“Hot water would be better,” Jubilee drawled and whipped around searching for a water pipe. “I wonder if the water is still on in this dump.”

“Probably not.”

“Too bad,” Jubilee grumbled and grabbed a nearby container. After checking it for holes she walked over to the men, “Here could you fill this up?”

“We ain’t water taps,” Tank stated.

“So? You gotta piss sometime,” Jubilee replied and turned to Rogue, “Right?”

“She has a point,” Rogue stated without turning away from her vigil.

Exchanging a concerned glance Logan took the plastic container, “You owe us kid.”

Jubilee smirked at him, “Well pay you back sometime.”

“Foot rubs,” Tank clarified. “Nice, long foot rubs.”

“Spoilsport,” Jubilee said even as Logan handed the container to Tank. A few moments later balancing it carefully she walked over to their dangling prey. “Hey dickhead wake up.”

Tossing the contents at him both grimaced at the acrid stench even as they watched him sputter and jerk in his binds.

Glancing up, Bobby froze as he saw who had him. Keeping silent he glanced around uneasily. No one at the mansion knew where he was. He had simply walked away during a routine inspection and now he wished desperately that he’d told someone.

“Nice to see you’re awake. Oh I wouldn’t worry about escape,” Rogue drawled trailing a claw over his thigh toward his groin. “There is no one within a hundred feet that’s gonna hear you scream. And the fact that you have a gag on will muffle it even more.”

Jerking in his binds he glared at her, hatred and fury bright in his eyes.

“Oh puleaze,” Jubilee stared at her nails. “You can struggle all you want to, ain’t nobody gonna care. Now then, onto the business at hand. Right Streaks?”

“Oh yes, Fury has a little problem that she wants you to take care of,” Rogue declared with a quick grin. “See she’s been feelin’ a little pissed lately and since you seem to like bondage she figured you’d help out.”

“MMmmhphhhmm.”

“No, not really,” Rogue declared and glanced at Jubilee who had moved a little closer to the dangling legs. “Fury?”

“Definitely not,” Jubilee replied pulling on a pair of heavy leather gloves. A moment later she grabbed Bobby’s jeans and pulled, jerking them off his body. “No sense in wasting good denim. Someone a lot less fortunate might be able to use them.”

“You got any idea what they’re doing?” Tank whispered to Logan as they watched the slow, methodical stripping of the young man.

“Not a clue,” Logan replied. “But knowing them as we do, I can guess it’s something that’s not going to be pretty.”

“Gotta admit the bottle neck in the arse was a good idea,” Tank chuckled softly.

“Yeah it was,” Logan shifted at the muted scream from across the room. Staring at the thin line of blood that trailed down Iceman’s leg he wondered what the girls were planning.

“So you up for a bit of shopping?” Jubilee asked as she drew another line from Iceman’s groin down to his knees with her blade. “I could really use some new boots.”

“Delighted. Ooh, how about a day at the spa?”

“Panther will love it! A day of being pampered, of being treated like a queen, I can’t wait.”


Flinching s the girls got more and more vicious Logan patted his pockets in search of a cigar. Finding none he growled under his breath only to look at Tank when he handed him a pack of cigarettes.

“Thanks.”

“Don’t mention it.” Tank eyed Iceman’s limp body. He had more than one broken bone in his body, and the amount of cuts, both small and large was astounding. What was even more astounding that he was only now starting to show the signs of blood loss, of his wounds. “They’re good.”

“Very,” Logan agreed. They’d been taught well, maybe a little too well.

Rolling her shoulders Rogue dropped her head slightly, her eyes narrowing as she clenched her hands. A moment later her claws were out and imbedded knuckle deep in Bobby’s chest. Staring into his face she smirked as she felt his heart slow around her claws, “Guess what bitch. You picked the wrong whore to mess with,” she muttered as he sputtered, his body twitching as the life ebbed out.

“Well that was fun,” Jubilee stretched and wiped her blade off on the only clean spot on Bobby’s shirt. “Anyone up for pizza?”

“Naw, more into Chinese,” Rogue declared ignoring the stunned look on the men’s faces. “Right after we send Bobby here home.”

Smirking Jubilee nodded and glanced around, “Uh how are we going to do that? We don’t’ really have any coffins here.”

“Who needs one,” Rogue demanded as she cut him down. “Just grab a crate, pack it full of material and some of that black rubber stuff. We’ll dump him into it and send him home via whatever method we can.”

“You know I have no objection to killing him but aren’t you…?” Tank started as Logan growled softly at the girl seemingly indifference.

Leaving Jubilee to find the items Rogue walked over to them and sank to the ground at Logan’s feet. Resting her head against his knee she sighed, “I touched him.”

”When?”

“The bottle incident,” Rogue whispered softly. “Jubilee wasn’t the only one.”

“What?”

“He did that before,” Rogue looked up at Logan, “He hurt Kitty a long time ago.”

“So she wasn’t…”

“No. Kitty buried it because they were out on a date but Bobby got off on the memory. One of the reasons he likes sleeping with Jean.”

“Well he ain’t gonna be boning her again,” Logan growled glaring the dead body. “Damn should have gotten in a kick or two myself.”

“No,” Rogue rested a hand on his thigh, “We had to do this. We had to collect payment.”

“So now what?”

“Now we go back to doing what we do best,” Rogue stated calmly. “We help those who can’t help themselves. We do what Xavier never thought we would ever do. We move on.”

Staring at her Logan smiled slowly before leaning forward to press his face into her hair, “God I’m glad you’re mine.”

“Me to,” Rogue giggled softly, “Now then you got any ideas on how to get him back to New York without stinking up the world?”

“Yeah,” Logan nodded and smirked at them, “Ice.”

“Ice?”

“Sure. We need to get a large amount of ice. Once he’s frozen he’ll keep.”

“Uh guys,” Jubilee called, “Did you know he could freeze himself?”

“NO,” Rogue hurried over to him and noticed the slowly gathering ice crystals in the blood. “Seems he might be able to heal sorta. Let’s see how well he can.” With a quick, ruthless swipe she severed his head from his shoulders and kicked it into the box. “Dump something on it so he can’t reconnect to it.”

An hour later with the box firmly in place on the back of a freezer truck, Logan watched as Rogue and Jubilee touched fists with a proud smile. Both were strong, both were willing to do whatever they had to for the others. He knew they were aware that this might just send Xavier over the edge but they could face it, he could face it.

“Hey someone said something about food?”

“Let’s go home instead,” Jubilee looked at Tank and Logan, “Kitty’s probably worried out of her mind.”

“I’ll drive.” Rogue declared as they walked away from the warehouse. They would rest for a moment but when Xavier got their little package it would mean trouble and they would need to be prepared.

Glancing at Logan out of the corner of her eye she smiled. Being prepared was easy for them… after all they were born prepared.
Chapter 36 by Shadowlady
Charles stared at the ice covered box that rested on the gurney in the med lab. A glance at the others in the room and he swallowed, he knew beyond a doubt what was in it. More to the point he knew why and he couldn’t for the life of him feel a moments sorrow.

“So now what?” Jean asked as she stared at the crate.

“Now we wait,” Charles said softly. “We can’t go after them.”

“Why not? They killed one of us?” Jean stormed at the thought of letting Bobby’s killers get away.

“Professor, what’s this?” Ororo held up a small, thin disk. “It showed up this morning.”

Warlok looked at it and flushed guiltily. He knew what it was, knew beyond a doubt that it would reveal the why of Iceman’s death but he didn’t want anyone to know about it. Sidling toward Storm he froze at the dark look from Charles.

“I believe its proof of Iceman’s crime and punishment.”

“Sir?” Hank gaped at him.

Taking the disk Charles stared at it a moment before looking around, “I see no reason not to reveal what’s on this disk. After all it may make it clearer than ever what it is that we’re fighting against. I have often preached peace but recently even I have had my doubts. Especially when members of my team, members who are sworn to protect and care misuse their assignments to hurt others.”

“Charles what are you talking about?” Jean demanded.

“The coffin wasn’t for me…was it?” Charles glared at Warlok who shrugged and looked away. “Warlok?”

“No. It was for Bobby.”

“Exactly. Now then, as Logan has already informed me I’m sure that Mr. Drake is not in one piece I suggest everyone who is not a medical professional get out of here. Storm, you, Hank, and Warlok will be heading up to the military base. I hope you can complete your mission without violating the rules.” Charles glared pointedly at Warlok who shifted and nodded.

“As for the rest of you, don’t you have some training to do?”



Thick, oppressive tension filled the jet as the trio went through the pre-flight checklists. Firing the engines Storm glanced at Hank then at the silent man in the back seat. “ETA is forty-three minutes.”

“We’ll have to figure out what to do with the captives,” Hank stated calmly. “We can’t take everyone back to…”

“We can’t leave them there,” Storm pointed out.

“No, no I realize that. I was merely saying that it would be more beneficial to them to be able to have a safe house to go to instead of an impersonal facility to heal.”

“I agree but what else can we do? Charles doesn’t have a safe house set up in that area.”

Hank shrugged, “Logan’s in that area,” he muttered under his breath earning a withering glare from Warlok and a stunned look from Storm. “What? We all know he’s located within that area.”

“He isn’t going to help us,” Storm stated calmly. “None of them will. Have you forgotten what they did to Bobby?”

“He had it coming,” Hank growled and glared over his shoulder at Warlok who shifted uneasily in his seat.

“Why? What did he do?” Storm demanded glancing between the two men who suddenly found something much more interesting to do with themselves. “I’m waiting for an answer.”

“No indication of acknowledgement from the base,” Hank stated glancing at his gauges and monitors. “We should be okay.”

Storm eyed him carefully, he was hiding something and she had a bad feeling whatever it was didn’t bode well for Warlok. Pushing aside the thought she focused on the mission. They had several mutants to rescue from the facility.



The sounds of explosions ripped the air as Storm sent another bolt of lightening down upon the base. She could see Hank carefully dragging out two young women, and Warlok followed closely behind him with two boys.

“Targets acquired,” Hank’s steady rumble had her easing back onto the ground and turning to race to the jet. Half way back she felt sudden sharp jab of something in her chest. Glancing down she recognized the end of a tranquilizer dart.

“Hank,” Storm called as she crumpled into a heap on the ground, unaware that her word had been swallowed by the night, and her teammates were retreating steadily without looking back!



The ringing of the phone had Logan grumbling as he reached for it, “Monster House.”

“Very funny,” Helen’s voice was warm, yet business like. “There’s been activity near you.”

“How close?”

“A day’s drive,” Helen replied quickly. “Apparently your previous employer doesn’t train his people very well. They lost one in a simple rescue and recovery mission.”

“Seems to me that’s the way they operate,” Logan ground out.

“Maybe but from what I understand if they manage to sway this person over, we may all be in trouble. It’s a rarity to have a mutant who can control the weather to the extent this woman can.”

“Storm?” Logan sat up quickly, “What happened?”

“He sent a team in to get the few occupants of the River Valley Institute and while they got the captives they lost one of their own. Didn’t even notice until they’d gotten back to New York that one of their own had fallen.”

“I’ll check with the team. Fax us the intel you’ve got.”

“What’s wrong?” Rogue asked sleepily.

“Military got Storm,” Logan ground out hanging up.

“What?”

“Yeah Xavier sent a team out to do a rescue and handed the military another woman to play with.”

“Oh God Logan,” staring at him Rogue in shock. “What’s he doing to get her back?”

“Don’t know. We have the option of going for her or staying?”

Tossing the covers back Rogue rose and paced to the window to stare out. Her heart and mind were torn, helping anyone from Xavier’s went against every self-preservation instinct she had and yet to leave someone to that fate? To leave a fellow mutant to the torment and torture of the lab? She wouldn’t wish it on anyone…well almost anyone.

“The girls need to know,” Rogue whispered softly.

“I’ll call a meeting in the office,” Logan drawled grabbing a pair of sweats to go over his boxers. “You start coffee.”

Nodding Rogue smiled sadly at him, “Helping her won’t make us weak will it?”

Logan smiled at her and cupped her jaw, “No Marie, helping her makes you better than they are.”

Nodding Rogue grabbed her robe and pulled it on before following him out of their bedroom. Leaving him to wake the others she headed for the kitchen, she had things to do, and some serious thinking to do.

She didn't want to help Xavier, didn't want anything to do with him any longer but she knew 'Ro wouldn't last a week in there. If the guards didn't get her then her own fears, her own demons would.


Smothering a yawn Kitty leaned against Scott as they sat around the table. “So what’s up?”

“Army got Storm.” Logan stated. “Apparently Xavier didn’t bother to tell his staff that lab rescues and recoveries was extremely dangerous.”

“So what does that have to do with us?” Jubilee snarled. “It ain’t like she came to help us.”

“that’s what we’re here to discuss,” Logan drawled settling next to Rogue. “Helen called, she’s sending all the intel she’s got. It’s up to us what we do with it.”

“I say let her rot there,” Kitty snapped. “It would serve her right.”

“Yes it would,” Rogue sighed. “She deserves to suffer some but if we let them have her, if we let her fall prey to the monsters that they are we become like her. Like Xavier.”

“What the fuck do you mean?” Jubilee snapped.

“Xavier left us there, he forgot about us! Gave up and said oh well it was acceptable. We all knew the risks, they were acceptable. Xavier turned us into disposable objects. If we leave Storm there, if we don’t help her,” Rogue took a deep breath, “Then we sink to his level.”

Kitty and Jubilee glanced at each other then back at Rogue. “How so?”

“We’re better than they are, we’re stronger, trained, ready and willing to do what needs to be done for the cause. Xavier’s still working on the training. Now if you had a choice, if you were there and you had a choice between your allies and your enemies coming to help you which would it be?”

“You’re saying we should rescue Storm?”

“Yes,” Rogue nodded, “Think about it. If we go in and get her, take her hope all battered and bruised, used up like we were what does that tell Xavier?”

Kitty sighed and looked at Jubilee. “It says we’re better than he is. Says we can kick his ass, and the ass of everyone who gets in the way!”

“Exactly,” Rogue met her gaze, “So what are we going to do? Sink to his level or prove we’re better than he is?”

“Lets show the sonofabitch what he’s up against. Show him what a real hero does,” Kitty slapped the table, “He owes us, and this will be just another tally on the sheet.”

Rogue nodded and looked at Jubilee.

“We aren’t taking her home right away are we?”

“No, why?”

Jubilee grinned, “Just like the idea of rubbing it into Xavier that we got what he couldn’t. Besides that she’s gonna need a few days just to get herself together enough to be aware of what’s happening. The stuff they give you when you first arrive is pretty potent.”

“So what’s the decision?” Logan asked noting that both Tank and Scott had kept silent.

“Frankenstein isn’t Xavier,” Rogue declared while the others nodded. “We help those who can’t help themselves. Unless of course they screw it up and then we’ll leave ‘em behind.”

“Yeah like Jean Grey!” Kitty giggled.

“Now there would be a no contest decision!” Jubilee laughed, “Leave her jealous ass behind. Take the guards or something cause she deserves to spend some time locked up!”

Scott hid a smile as his eye caught Logan. He had to agree, especially since she hadn’t waited all that long to crawl into someone else’s bed after his ‘death’!

“When are we leaving?”

“Soon as we can get one of the kids up. They’ll have to keep an eye on the place.”

“I’ll go wake up Joan,” Rogue rose smoothly, “She’s been here a while and she knows how things are done. Better get dressed ladies and gents… it’s gonna be a wild ride!”

Watching Rogue walk out of the room everyone was silent, “So we’re going for mental torment huh?” Scott asked softly.

“What do you mean?” Tank asked.

“Xavier will be mad with worry that his precious Storm has vanished. Its gonna be a race to see who gets to her first.”

“No it won’t,” Logan replied. “He’s still trying to think of where they’d have taken her. He won’t think that they’ve kept her at the facility they caught her at.”

“Why not move her?”

“Because, they’ve already hit there. What would make them return?”

“He does have Cerebro.”

“Won’t do any good. Those places are insulated against telepathy, and the drugs they’ll give her will help to block her mind even more!”

Scott nodded, “Come on Kitty, lets suit up.”

Nodding those at the table rose they had a long drive and would need to have everything ready to get Storm out of that place. Only the thought of the irony of the situation kept the girls focused, they would do what Xavier obviously couldn’t.
Chapter 37 by Shadowlady
Hunkered on the cold, hard floor Storm idly traced the pattern of gouges on a wall. The pounding weight in her head kept her motionless, kept her from reacting too strongly when the door opened and a lab coat clad man stepped into the room.

“It would appear that you’ve been granted a reprieve,” the man drawled walking toward her, “At least temporarily.”

Blinking at the words Storm showed no outward sign of recognition, no emotion. Rather she sat there trying to think, trying to figure out where she was. How long she’d been there. Swallowing against the rising fear as the walls began closing in on her she sat docilely while she was given another injection.

As the drug began to course through her system she sighed, her head falling back against the wall as the haze spread through her mind. She couldn’t feel the walls closing in, couldn’t feel the cold, dankness of her prison. Instead she sat in a state of catatonic euphoria, caring about nothing but herself.



“Okay Cyke, you’ve never been on one of these with us so here’s the lowdown,” Logan ground out. “Get in, get the target, and get out. Anyone gets in the way blast ‘em. We don’t want to leave witnesses.”

“Gotcha,” Scott looked over to where the Rogue, Kitty, and Jubilee were standing. The trio leaned against the each other, gathering strength from their ties. A subtle shift of muscle, a coldness in a gaze that held traces of bitterness and remembrance were all indications that the three were on a no prisoner mission.

“Any questions?” Logan ground out. Getting negatives from everyone he smiled at the girls, “Alright. Let’s move out.”

A quick check of weapons and the girls fell into step with the men. Sidling up next to Scott Kitty glanced at him and smirked, “How ya doing Scott?”

“Good. Let’s go get her.”

Nodding Kitty fell silent, her hand adjusting her comm-link easily before she fell into step behind Rogue. Most of these places were all designed similarly and she could only guess at which level Storm would be on.

Moving slowly, cautiously down dark hallways Scott was amazed at the lack of guards, of any personnel. Pausing in front of a heavy steel door he watched Kitty phase through it and a moment later it swung open easily.

“Glad I’m along?” she whispered as she hurried to catch up to Rogue who was currently marching down the hallway her long coat flapping behind her.

Opening his mouth to scream out a warning Cyke ducked at the sudden blinding movement from all three women as they turned to face their attacker. A moment later the floor was slippery with blood as the man lay gasping out his last breaths.

Stepping over the fallen man they continued down the hallway. Stopping before a locked, heavily secured door Cyke glanced at Wolverine who sniffed before nodding.

Rogue smirked slightly and nudged Logan back a step, “Ladies first.” She muttered quickly as her claws slid out and she buried them in the door. A moment later with a jerk the door itself came loose and she tossed it aside.

Shrugging at the look on the men’s faces she stepped into the room and looked around! The impersonal feel of the cell was nothing compared to the scars of violence from before.

“Storm!” Kitty phased through Rogue and hurried to the woman who curled around herself, her eyes a blank canvas. “Shit she’s icy cold.”

“Come on, we’ve got to get her outta here. They probably used Diacordine on her,” Jubilee glanced at Rogue. “What do you think?”

Rogue shifted, her instincts were screaming at her to get out and she nodded. “Lets get out of here.”

“Everyone out,” Wolverine ordered with a small glance at Rogue who was eyeing the corridor with disdain and doubt. The sound of an electronic beep had the team hurrying faster as Tank carried Storm over his shoulder.

Reaching their entry point, Wolverine dropped into a crouch and sniffed, “Guards.” He grunted.

“Streaks, your team can take Storm. We’ve some business to attend to,” Tank ground out shifting to ease Storm to the floor.

“Don’t get caught,” Streaks warned softly as she squeezed Wolverine’s shoulder a moment before picking Storm up with Jubilee’s help and easing out into the darkness.

“What’s going on,” Cyclops hissed as he watched Tank and Wolverine turn down their comm.-links. When Tank reached over and turned adjusted his volume he felt a bolt of fear.

“This was easy, but there’s a whole other level. One that Xavier and his stooges never touched. Not to mention a place they’d keep their high-risk captives. Storm unfortunately was either not as important or she was simply here for entertainment,” Wolverine growled. “The girls’ job was to get her out. Our job is to destroy the other level of this place.”

“Where is it?” Cyclops hissed.

“This way,” Turning Wolverine slid a claw into the nearest wall panel and ripped into it. Stepping through the destroyed panel opening he led the way down a set of stairs, his sensed telling him that there were more guards down here. Glancing at the others he smirked to himself, he wasn’t here because of Storm, or even any other mutant. There was a possibility that one of the guards that had been at the facility with Rogue, Jubilee, and Kitty transferred out. He wanted blood for what they’d done and he’d get it in the form of these men and women.


Finding those in the lower levels was easy. Four men and two women dressed in military camouflage stood around with semi-automatic rifles, uneasy in their faces as they watched the ceiling.

It was obvious that they’d heard the commotion upstairs but had orders not to leave their posts. Slinking into the shadows, the men separated, circling around the guards easily. Heading for the massive bank of screens and computers Scott kept one eye on Wolverine and Tank as they closed in on the six armed soldiers.

He had no doubt that they would all die and horribly. A part of him felt uneasy taking lives in such a way but then he thought back to what he’d endured at the hands of Frankenstein because of what Kitty had been forced to endure and knew that they deserved so much worse.

The crunch of bones was mixed with the sound of guns going off, the primal furious roar of Wolverine as he tore into them. Flinching when blood hit the console near him Scott merely focused harder on the screens. Catching the shadow of movement in one of the screens he whipped around and blasted the soldier who was stalking him, a deadly knife in one hand.

Turning back to his job he froze as he spotted a small monitor to a room. Hitting a few commands he brought he images onto all the cameras and felt his stomach roll.

“We’ve got captives,” he said low enough that the others would be able to hear without them being distracted. A moment later Wolverine was leaning over his shoulder staring at the screen a furious, disgusted snarl coming from him.

“Can’t leave them here,” Wolverine ground out, “Tank, and Cyclops retrieve them. I’ll stand guard.”

Nodding Scott all but jumped to his feet and hurried down the corridor toward the small, dingy little cell at the end of the corridor. He didn’t think, didn’t plan. Instead he followed Tank’s lead and merely blasted the door in such a way that it shattered the locks without destroying the heavy metal.

Stepping through the doorway he swallowed painfully at the sudden glare from three sets of eyes. Closing his eyes Scott felt the nausea and pain go bone deep even as he noticed Tank shudder next to him and a familiar look come into his eyes a moment before his training came into effect and he became stoic.

“We’re not here to hurt you,” Tank started. “We’ve come to take you home.”

“Home?” the voice was weak, doubt filled, and laced with pain.

“Yes,” Scott agreed. “Home.”




Securing Storm into her seat Rogue glanced at Kitty who was staring back the way they’d come. “They’ll come soon Kitster.”

“Shouldn’t have left them.”

“Did what we had to,” Jubilee said cranking the engine over on the van. Squinting she adjusted her optic piece and smirked, “Looks like they’re coming.”

“How can you tell it’s them?” Kitty worried.

“Wolverine’s metal laced body gives off a lot of heat, trust me it’s the boys.”

Rogue smiled and patted her on the shoulder. “Get into your seat Kitty. We’re gonna have to be ready to go as soon as they close the door.”

Securing their safety belts on, the women glanced at each other as they realized that the men were coming a bit slower than anticipated. Instead of a run they were walking, leading what appeared to be three young kids.

“Oh my God!” Jubilee gasped as she realized that they had found others. “They’re just kids.”

“Yeah,” Rogue glanced at Kitty who sat shaken, her face pale. Jerking herself out of her seatbelt she pulled open the door and smiled shakily at Logan who grunted and picked up a slim, living bone wrack of a girl who couldn’t be more than nine years old.

“Uh..” the girl started to tremble, fear darting into her eyes and soaking t he air around her.

“Relax, we’re the good guys,” Rogue said with a warm smile. “Come on, you can sit here.” Patting the seat she quickly had the girl and two boys that they’d brought out secured.

Turning she met Tank’s gaze as he shifted a bundle in his arms and saw the rage boiling there, “Did you get them?” she whispered to Logan who merely nodded and glanced away. The blood that soaked his shirt and jeans told her better than words just what had happened and she smiled tightly before taking the bundle and securing it in her lap.

Opening the blanket slightly she stared down into a cherub face, marred by bruises, maltreatment, and hunger. Rocking the toddler gently she felt the chill of her rage sink a little more into her soul.

“You’re safe now,” she whispered softly as Jubilee hit the gas sending the truck hurtling forward in the darkness. A few hours from now they’d be at a safe house and would be switching vehicles. By dusk tomorrow night the kids would be safe at Monster House and they could plan their next line of attack.
Chapter 38 by Shadowlady
“Have you found her?” Hank demanded pacing Charles office.

“No, not yet,” Charles replied tiredly. His face was haggard, his shoulders slumped. He had found no indication of Storm, not a stray thought, not her conscious mind, nothing. It was almost like she’d vanished from the face of the earth.

“Well might I suggest you try again?” Hank snarled angrily.

“Hank I’m doing the best I can. There’s been nothing; I can’t even find a hint of her not even with Cerebro. Wherever they’ve taken her is shielded.”

“Well then find someone who could help!”

“Who?” Jean snapped. “Logan and his little band of freaks? They won’t help Hank; probably laugh their ass off at the situation.”

“And you don’t care,” Hank ground out, “Yes we know. Charles Storm is a vital member of this family. You said it yourself, she’s part of us.”

“I’m spending hours searching for her Hank, I’ve tried everything. What else would you like me to do?”

“Nothing. Obviously,” Hank snapped and stormed out of the room. He couldn’t believe that anyone would be so callous as to just leave a team member out there in the hands of those monsters.

Perhaps if he went north, if he begged Logan and his team might be so inclined to help Storm. To get her back to him regardless of what condition she was in.


Storm rubbed her temple where it ached and blinked her eyes open. Staring into the dimly lit ceiling she frowned, this didn’t look like the mansion’s medlab. Shifting she forced herself into a sitting position and glanced around.

It was obviously a medical facility from the equipment scattered around. Three more beds filled the room, each one held a small, bony child. From the scars, bruises, and more than one IV it looked like they’d all been half-starved and tortured.

“You should rest more,” the soft voice was distinctly masculine and Storm turned her head sharply to see a broad shouldered man standing eying her with a practiced look. “I’ll get you some juice.”

Swallowing at her dry throat’s scream for some moisture Storm watched him pour a small glass of apple juice and stick a straw into it. After drinking from the glass she eased back onto the bed, “Where am I?”

“Monster House,” the man replied. “I’m Tank.”

“How’d I get here?”

“We brought you here,” he glanced up at the other beds. “You and the other four captives from that facility.”

“I can’t remember. It’s too fuzzy.”

“A blessing in disguise,” Tank replied seriously. “You don’t want to remember the hell that you endured there.”

“Tank?” A soft, familiar voice had Storm jerking her gaze toward the doorway where a young woman dressed in yellow and black stood eying her. “You want me to relieve you?”

“No,” Tank smiled warmly, affectionately. “But you could keep me company.”

“Anything for you baby,” Jubilee smiled and moved toward him. Pushing a stray lock of hair behind her ear she glanced at Storm who stared at her in shock and horror. “You wanna play a game of cards or something?”

Tank chuckled and pulled her against him, “How’s Rogue and Kitty?”

“Kitty’s tired again. Said she was going to have a nap with Scott,” Jubilee giggled, “From the look in her eye she wasn’t thinking of sleep.”

“And Rogue?”

“She’s with Logan and the baby. They’re deep in conversation.”

“She say anything to you?”

Jubilee shook her head, “No but I have a feeling she’s gonna keep the baby. She doesn’t want to give her up. Last I heard her and Logan were talking about expanding again. Seems they want to keep the baby and the little kids we got. Figure if we keep ‘em they’ll be better off.”

“Makes sense. I didn’t think they’d let anyone else take ‘em off our hands.”

Jubilee nodded, “Where do you stand on it?”

Tank glanced at the sleeping children, none were older than ten and all had been badly misused. “Safety first. They belong here. Belong in a place where men like Xavier can’t get his slimy hands on ‘em.”

“Hey I resent that,” Storm protested weakly.

Glancing down at her Tank shrugged, “Don’t see him here do you? Wonder if he’s given up on you like he did my girl and her friends or is he just biding his time.”

“Charles looked for them,” Storm protested.

“Save it,” Jubilee declared, “You should rest. The sooner you get your strength up the sooner you’re outta here.”

Staring at the hostile girl Storm felt a bolt of fear, “I don’t know…”

“Rest. It’s the best thing for you,” Jubilee declared and walked away. “I’ll make another pot of coffee Tank.”

“Sounds good.” Tank watched Jubilee disappear, “Don’t expect her to be welcoming to you. As far as you’re concerned you and your little friends are responsible for her scars, her nightmares.”

“I don’t know what you’re talking about? They killed one of their own!”

“Are you referring to Iceman?”

Storm nodded quickly and felt a chill go through her at the man’s slow, evil little grin.

“For what he did he deserved to die. Now I’m a good one for letting the law handle men like him but not this time. This time he had to pay for his sins against Jubilee and Kitty. I don’t hold with raping a woman…any woman regardless of what you think she might be.”

Watching the man stalk off Storm sighed tiredly. With any luck she could regain her strength before she called for help and someone came to get her. Soon, because she didn’t think she could stand to stay and endure the treatment of a group of cold individuals.



Stirring Storm blinked and sat up straighter as she realized she was in a moving vehicle, “Where are we?”

“New York,” Rogue’s distinct southern drawl had her glancing sharply at the driver’s seat. “Just crossed it actually.”

“I don’t remember.”

“Didn’t think we were going to let you see where we lived do you?” Rogue chuckled. “Nope, we slipped you a mild tranquillizer. You’ve been awake on and off for the past couple of days.”

“So I take it we’re nearly back at the mansion?” Storm asked softly glancing down to see she was dressed in a comfortable dress, her feet encased in worn boots.

“Yes. Should be there in about an hour.”

“Why?”

“Why what?”

“Why are you taking me back? Why not just…”

“I’m Frankenstein,” Rogue replied with a hint of anger in her tone, “Not Xavier.”

Falling silent Storm stared at Rogue as she drove. Glancing over her shoulder she saw Logan lounging in his seat, obviously asleep if his closed eyes were any indication. “Why is he in the back?”

“Because he’s got claws,” Rogue replied as she checked her mirrors, “And if you’d proven to be a bit more disruptive we wanted the ability to control you.”

“So you’re driving because what? You’re saner then he is?”

Rogue laughed softly, “No. I’m twice as dangerous as Logan is Storm. My mind’s a tangle of the personalities that occupy it, my body’s been changed, and my mutation is even more deadly…” she paused and looked at the woman sitting next to her. “Logan’ll just kill you… a couple of minute’s tops. I’ll draw it out for days if I want to.”

Shivering at the chill in her tone Storm glanced out the windshield.

“Trust her on that one,” Logan’s deep voice had Storm jumping. “She’s really good at it to. Better than anyone I’ve ever seen.”

“Except for you of course,” Rogue grinned and glanced at him over her shoulder. “Because you’re the best at what you do.”

“I’m the best at doing you,” Logan shot back with a leer. “Another hour you figured?”

“Yeah. Maybe a little less if I hurry it the hell up.”

“Put a little weight on that gas pedal,” Logan leaned forward, “I’ve got an urge to hold you.”

Rogue smiled and reached back to squeeze his hand. “Always baby, always.”

The remainder of the drive was silent. Logan sat with one hand on Rogue’s shoulder, his fingers moving in slow, steady movements, his gaze on her with a heated intensity. Rogue drove steadily, confidently her gaze hard, a warmth in her body as she moved beneath Logan’s hand.

Rolling to a stop at the gates Rogue cut the engine and glanced over her shoulder, “You ready?”

“Get it done,” Logan growled as Rogue slid out of the car. Glancing at Storm he smirked, “I’m sure you’re glad to be home but just remember this. If she doesn’t come back out in three minutes, I’m gonna come in and you’re gonna wish you were back in that cell. Being a POW will be easy compared to the violence I can unleash.”

Storm nodded and opened the door. Standing next to Rogue on the sidewalk she shuddered, with any luck the Professor would be able to retrieve her memories, be able to tell her what she was missing.


Hearing the sound of a car door slamming Hank started for the front door ignoring Jean who sat in the rec room with Charles watching the afternoon news updates. Opening the door he stepped outside and froze, walking up the walkway were two familiar women. Both moved slowly, yet comfortably. It was obvious that there would be no mercy from the brunette as she glanced at Storm.

Jumping off the steps he moved toward them only to pause at Storm’s panicked look. Impatiently waiting for them to reach him he debated calling to the Professor.

“Hank,” Storm smiled shakily.

“Are you okay?” Hank asked, “We should get you inside. I’ll examine you…”

“A few cuts, some bruises, residual effects of the drugs but she’ll be okay. Our physician checked her over,” Rogue declared and with a final glance at Storm turned and walked back to the waiting vehicle.

Hank watched her go for a moment before hurrying after her, “Rogue wait!”

Turning sharply Rogue let her claws slide out, a dark look on her face.

“I just wanted to say thank you for bringing her home.” Hank stopped short of where Rogue’s reach ended. “It means a lot to me.”

Shrugging Rogue looked at him, “I’m not Xavier.”

Watching Rogue walk away Hank glanced down at Storm who smiled back at him. “How are you really ‘Ro?”

“Better than I was. They treated me better than we would’ve done in their stead,” she stated calmly. “Three meals a day, clothes, medical treatments, and then they brought me home. I’d say we’re not just dealing with a killing machine.”

Hank nodded, “Come on lets get you inside.”

Storm nodded and watched the dark vehicle pull away from the gates and disappear up the road. What exactly they’d hope to get she didn’t understand but she would… someday.

Taking a deep breath she followed Hank up the steps, there would be questions and she wasn't too sure she had all the answers for the team. She knew she had none for herself.
Chapter 39 by Shadowlady
Storm stared out over the grounds as she sat sipping tea her mind a tangled mess. In the month that she’d been back at Xavier’s she’d witnessed things that she’d never have believed. For the first time in her memory she’d seen Charles plan for an all out offensive attack on the Frankenstein organization.

Each day, each moment brought the team closer to having to attack and it bothered her. She’d repeatedly said it wasn’t a good idea only to be out voiced by Jean and Charles. Neither was willing to allow anyone else on their side to be harmed. Especially after Warlok had been badly beaten in the last confrontation with the other group.

“Figured I would find you out here,” Hank’s warm drawl had her glancing behind her to stare at him.

Hank was the only one who seemed to give a damn that she was still dealing with the loss of memories from whatever they’d pumped through her system. He’d been a steady presence when the nightmares and the ghosts had gotten to be too much.

“Still not talking huh?” Hank nodded as he settled next to her on the bench in her garden.

“No point to it,” Storm stated calmly.

“I’m willing to listen.”

“They brought me home Hank. Treated my wounds, fed me, clothed me, and then they brought me home. What sort of psychotic monster does that?”

Hank shrugged, this was an old topic. “One that isn’t so psychotic. I don’t know perhaps they had their own agenda. Perhaps you were of no value to them.”

“They’ve been saving kids. Taking them in off the streets, out of those places,” Storm spat angrily. “Giving them some dignity and Charles is deaf to it. He doesn’t see them as anything other than an enemy.”

“But you do?”

“Lets just say I don’t see an enemy when I look at them. If given half a chance there’s a good possibility that they could be convinced to work with us. To help us stop those who would destroy us.”

“Nothing like feeling for your enemy.”

“I knew you wouldn’t understand,” Storm sighed and returned her attention to her roses.

“I saw a girl that day one whose suffered a great deal. I agree that they’re not the enemy but they can’t be given free rein especially when they killed one of our own in such a horrid manner.”

Storm nodded, “Did you watch the disk?”

“No.”

“Before you pass judgement watch it. Tell me that he didn’t have it coming for what he did to Jubilee.”

Hank sighed, “What was he guilty of Ororo? We’re at war here, things are never nice.”

“Rape is not tolerable in any condition,” Storm drawled. “I saw Jubilee before they returned me here. She’s scarred both physically and emotionally. The bright, energetic young woman we knew is long gone. But she’s not afraid to love. She’s not afraid to live. I saw that when she was with their doctor.”

“And Scott?”

Storm sighed; it was harder to put into words what she’d seen. “He’s happy. He’s got love and equality. A purpose that’s bigger than what he had here. I don’t know Hank; it seems to me that we’re fighting the wrong people.”

“So what do you suggest?”

She glanced at him carefully. She didn’t know what she wanted but she knew what she didn’t. “Trying to talk to them. We owe them nothing if not an apology for forgetting them. We made Frankenstein, perhaps its time we tried to communicate with it.”

“Charles would never go for it.”

“Then we’ll have to make sure he does. I won’t allow what happened to me to be forgotten. I got off easy Hank, a few blind spots in my mind, a few bruises, some residual effects of those drugs. Kitty and Jubilee are scarred with the degradation and abuse they suffered. Rogue is more volatile, more deadly than ever. And that’s just the girls. You really saying you think we can win against Logan, Scott, and that other guy? Seems to me you didn’t fare so well last time.”

Hank nodded, “Do you have any idea how to contact them? Perhaps they would be willing to meet on neutral territory?”

“Perhaps,” Storm smiled softly. “I think we need to chat with Warlok. Seems to me he’ll know where he and Bobby where when they hurt Jubilee.”

“I’ll get the information. Be ready to head out tonight. We’ll have to fly up via private means. Can’t take the jet.”

Storm nodded, “We’ll meet them on their turf. Hank, I’m not out for blood. I merely want to know why.”

Nodding Hank left the area quickly. He had much work to do to prepare and very little time to do it.



Logan leaned back in his chair on the porch and watched the trio in the yard. They had all suffered minor injuries during the last confrontation with the X-men and were trying to get back in top form.

“Still at it I take it?”

“Yeah,” Logan glanced at Scott. “Seem bound and determined to win regardless.”

“Got something today,” Scott handed over the slim card. “Was in town when I stopped to pick up some more groceries.”

Logan turned it over and frowned. It reeked of two very distinctive scents, “Wonder what they want.”

“Maybe they’re ready to switch sides,” Scott joked as Logan tore into the envelope.

A deriseive snort was the only reply at Logan read the small note, “Damn them.”

“What is it?” Scott asked.

“They want to talk.”

“Talk?” Scott laughed unwittingly drawing the girls’ attention. “Sure and if we believe that we’re all toddlers.”

“Says it’s just the two of ‘em and they’ll meet us anywhere we want.”

“Who?”

“’Ro and Beast.”

Taking the card Scott read the short, impersonal note and sighed, “What do you think?”

“I think its not up to me. The girls have a say in this to.”

“Who wants to meet us?” Rogue asked as they paused by the foot of the steps.

“Storm and Beast,” Scott replied.

Glancing amongst themselves the girls shrugged, “Okay. We can meet ‘em at the old mill. Find out what they want.”

“You sure? I ain’t about to set you up.”

“What are they going to do?” Kitty demanded, “Bring Xavier with them? So what? We’ll deal with him!”

“Just as long as you think you can do it. We’ll be there to back you up, so you know you won’t be alone.”

Rogue smirked at him, “Sugar, it’s about time Xavier pulled his head outta his ass and came to talk shop. He wants an all out war, we’ll give it to him. But he’s gonna have to pay to collect.”

Chuckling Logan glanced at Scott as the girls walked away back to their sparring. “Well it’s gonna be entertaining to say the least.”

“I know I’m gonna enjoy going to this meeting. I’ll leave a message with Doria, tell ‘em to meet us in three days.”

“You do that.”

Logan moved down the steps quickly. Catching the staff before it connected he grinned at Rogue for a moment before glancing at the other two, “If ya don’t mind. I’m stealin’ her for a bit.”

Giggling as he hoisted her over his shoulder Rogue waved at the other two, “See you at dinner!” She called.

“Dinner hell, see you at breakfast if we’re lucky!” Jubilee called.

When the pair were out of sight she glanced at Kitty, “You ready for this?”

Kitty grinned, “All I’m gonna say is they better bring their best. I’m feeling generous.”
Chapter 40 by Shadowlady
Twisting the envelope in her hand Storm watched Hank surveying the area. The agreement of Frankenstein to meet with them had proven to be easier than she’d anticipated.

With a sad sigh she wondered what it would take to get Charles to come. She knew beyond a doubt that he would never be willing to meet them half-way. Charles Xavier hated to be wrong about anything or anyone. A fact that had been established early on in her association with him. Still he should have swallowed his pride long enough to meet with the group that she was currently waiting for.

With an uneasy glance at Hank she resumed her wait. He’d examined her carefully, thoroughly. She’d cried for hours in the shower when he told her that he’d found evidence of sexual abuse. She still woke at night feeling phantom hands on her body, experiences she didn’t remember at all.

“They’re here.”

With a quick inhale, Storm squared her shoulders and prepared to face the group. She wasn’t too sure what she’d find, what she’d see. It was times like this that she welcomed the brawny presence beside her. Beast would do whatever he could to protect her – even from her own fears.

“I see Xavier didn’t bother to show.” The softest of whispers and Storm glanced up to see Logan standing there flanked by Scott and their doctor Tank or something.

A quick glance behind revealed the three girls standing there. Each wore full length leather dusters, heavy boots, and gloves.

“No. He couldn’t make it.” Storm said apologetically.

“Mm pity,” Rogue moved forward a few steps. A disdainful glance at Beast and she focused on Storm. “So what brings you to our playground?”

“Curiosity.” Beast replied.

“’Bout what?”

“Why you helped me?” Storm replied. “You could have left me there to die. You could have left those children behind and yet you didn’t. I don’t understand why.”

Jubilee snickered and glanced at Kitty who moved to flank Beast and Storm. Both knew that Rogue’s short fuse tended to shrink when questioned and they wanted to be able to protect their friend if the other side attacked.

“I told you. I’m Frankenstein, they’re Frankenstein and Frankenstein is not Charles Xavier.”

Storm stepped toward Rogue only to freeze at the sudden and aggressive appearance of two handguns, and a set of claws. “I’m not here to fight Rogue. I’m here to talk.”

“Seems to me you’re here to get something for your boss, I don’t play that game.”

“No? Seems to me you wouldn’t be here if you weren’t at least a little curious about why we’re here.”

Laughing Rogue shook her head, “I don’t like to be threatened! I don’t like listening to my friends scream at night because they’re reminded of what they had to endure at the hands of the military. Tell me Storm do you enjoy the memory of what they did to you? Do you like waking up in a cold sweat, your heart pounding, your chest aching? Hmmm?”

“I don’t really remember too much of what happened there.”

“Then let me fill in the blanks for you!” Jubilee snarled. “Every time your cell door opened someone came in. Every time you bled. They took you whichever way they wanted. They forced themselves into your body and got off on listening to you scream. No amount of drugs would stop the screams, not with what they did to you. I know…Frankenstein knows only too well. You wanna dance, you better pick a different band.”

“I’m not the enemy!”

“YES YOU ARE!” Kitty shouted angrily. “You left us there! You gave up on us. Made us into disposable things. You gave us away, tossed us aside like unwanted garbage because we were in the way of your precious lives. Your cause became so bloody important to you that you forgot who your allies were.”

“I didn’t..”

“Save it,” Scott snapped moving to back Kitty up quickly. “I saw what happens to girls like Kitty and Jubilee. I’ve seen the scars that they wear. The scars that Rogue buried. You think you had it bad? You think that Xavier would have come to your rescue and you’re so wrong.”

“Please, we didn’t come to fight.” Beast declared moving to back Storm up. “Let us help you.”

“Help us?” Logan drawled. “Help us what?”

“Heal? Deal with what happened.”

“Can you give me back my eye?” Jubilee purred walking up to him and trailing the gun barrel across his chest. “Can you give me back my womb? Give me a chance for life beyond my own? No you can’t. And we’ve dealt with what happened. Now you go back and you tell Xavier exactly what we said.”

“You’re breeding your anger Jubilation. You have to let go sometime!”

Jubilee slapped him as hard as she could. “Don’t tell me to let go of my anger. You weren’t the one that had nightsticks shoved in your cunt! You weren’t gang raped on a nightly basis! No you sat in your plush mansion working on some stupid experiment and forgot about us.”

“What about him?” Storm pointed at Scott. “He was one of us. Why is it that you’ve accepted him so easily?”

Scott flushed slightly but stood still when Kitty turned to look at him appraisingly. This was something he’d always wondered about.

“Because,” Kitty glanced at Storm. “He doesn’t hurt me.”

“We don’t want war with you,” Storm spoke softly to Kitty. “Beast and I are trying to deal with what happened. You saved me, took me home, treated my wounds and not once in all that time did you do anything that would make me think I was in danger. I don’t understand that. I can’t understand why you would do that knowing that if our places were reversed it would have been a different situation.”

Brushing past Kitty and Scott Rogue stopped in front of Storm and stared at her. “Nobody deserves what they did. No one deserves to be made into something or someone that they aren’t. We aren’t a monster, and we’re not humans either.”

“Frankenstein was.”

“Frankenstein was a patchwork of people put together by a mad scientist,” Rogue replied steadily. “That’s what we are. Broken pieces of individuals that were put together by someone else to make us into something we weren’t…only we’re stronger than that.”

“You’re wasting out time.” Logan’s low growl had everyone looking at him. “You won’t get it. You understand only what Charles Xavier has preached for years. We’re outta here.”

“No wait!” Storm grabbed Rogue’s arm. Gasping as the floor rushed up to meet her and two long, elegant claws imbedded themselves on either side of her neck she stared at the girl above her. “Please. If you give up on us what does that make you?”

“Realists.” Rogue snarled. “Don’t touch me again or I’ll make sure the only thing you’re doing is drowning in your own blood.”

Laying there long after Frankenstein had left Storm stared at the ceiling. They’d been calm, collected. There had been no sudden movements, no dangerous explosions of rage and Storm wondered idly why Iceman and Warlok had been targeted for violence.

“Why Iceman and Warlok? What did they do that was so bad Beast?”

Kneeling next to her Hank shrugged, “They did exactly what the army did. Only it was worse because at one time Bobby had been considered a friend.”

“We can’t beat them can we?”

“No, not in war. We need to make them an ally rather than an enemy.”

Storm sat up and stared at him. “There’s only way that will ever happen Hank and you know it.”

Hank nodded, “I know. Come on Xavier’s not going to be overly happy that we met with the enemy.”

“Right now I don’t care. I didn’t see an enemy; I saw a nightmare that we created!”
Chapter 41 by Shadowlady
“What in the world would make you think that confronting them would be advisable?” Charles fumed as he stared at Storm and Beast.

“They aren’t some unknown monster!” Storm shot back. “They’re a living, breathing team. An expert group that would be an impressive ally.”

“They’re the enemy. Do you understand what could have happened? If they’d thought for a moment that it wouldn’t bring us down upon them they’d have killed you.”

Storm shook her head, “No. I don’t think so. I think they’re just biding their time waiting for the day when you pull your head out of your ass and see them for who they are! You look at them and see the used up leftovers from the army. I saw them and they’re trained, skilled beyond anything we’ve got. I see a group of people trying desperately to become what you would never let them be!”

“And what would that be?” Jean hissed.

“Equals.” Storm rose and faced Jean. “So what was it that had you in such a rage about them? I remember the meetings we had before this began and you were so so so bloody desperate to get them gone. Why is that?”

“Storm they’re not our friends. They’re dangerous and you have no idea how lucky you are.”

“I don’t have any idea, huh? Tell me Jean who is that you hate more the girls or Scott and Logan? Hmm? How much more do they have to suffer before we can accept them?”

“Ororo please calm down.”

“They got me out! They saved children, little babies and they treated them as carefully as they could. Not once in the entire time that they had me did anyone touch me inappropriately. They brought me home! What more do they have to do for you to see?”

“’Ro honey,” Hank rested a hand on her arm. “It’s like Logan said. We’re wasting their time.”

“I’m trying to save lives!” Storm shouted a rumble of thunder booming. Frankenstein could so easily kill us and they haven’t. The only one who died was Bobby and that’s just because he raped Jubilee! I know it, you know it, and everyone with a brain knows it. He got what he deserved…and you haven’t learned a thing from that experience.”

“What are we supposed to do Storm? Allow them back here with the children?” Charles snapped angrily.

“Ask yourself this questions Charles,” Storm said as she walked to the door. “If our places were reversed, if it was you in that place and someone you saw as an enemy saved you, helped you. What would you be willing to do to pay them back?”

Staring after Storm Charles glanced at Jean and noted the cold, indifferent look upon her face. ~Jean? Is there a problem?~

~She’s delusional. She actually thinks they helped her out because they’re good, warm hearted people.~

~And you don’t?~

Jean glanced at him and shrugged. ~They took Scott, they hurt you and I, and they killed Bobby. You telling me that induces warm, fuzzy feelings for them?~

Listening to Jean walk away Charles sighed and glanced at Hank who watched him impassively. “Do you have an opinion on this?”

“Yes Professor I do. I think you have no idea how lucky you are that all those girls want is to be acknowledged. If they wanted to come in here and kill all of us they could and we couldn’t do a damn thing to stop them. We’re not dealing with three teenagers. You’re dealing with a highly trained, merciless killing machine!”

“And you really believe that?”

“They could have killed us in a heartbeat Charles. Could have hurt Storm in front of me and I wouldn’t have been able to do a damn thing to save her. Instead they heard us out, gave us their answer and left us alive and unscathed. You tellin’ me if you were them you’d do the same thing?”

Charles shivered. He didn’t know anymore what he’d do. He did know that he had to find out what was going to happen to his team. He wondered idly if Logan would allow him an audience. There was only one way to find out.


Picking up the phone Jean dialed a familiar number and waited counting rings.

“Yes?”

“Got another target for you,” she whispered softly. “The address is simple.” She rattled off the information. “You’ll have to hit it within the next few days. Thursday would be the best day for you – more targets to get.”

“Thanks.” The line went dead and Jean hung up. Tapping her nails on the reciever she smirked.

Glancing out the window the smirk shifted, became soft, cold, and bitter. Xavier’s weakening resolve toward getting rid of the girls angered her. She’d make sure he regretted his decision, and she’d do it with style.
Chapter 42 by Shadowlady
“Well this is a surprise.” Tank declared opening the door to a familiar figure. “What brings you by Helen?”

“Got some intel I’m not exactly liking,” Helen replied stepping through the door. “Logan around?”

“Upstairs with Rogue. They’re having a discussion.”

Helen smiled at him, “Discussion?”

“Yeah you knowhe says something she replies and vise versa.”

“Oh that’s what they’re callin’ it now.”

“Something like that. The rest of the team is out with the kids. Decided to go for a trail ride.”

“Well I think its important enough that I’m going to interrupt this discussion.” Helen declared with a pointed look at Tank.

He paused at the foot of the stairs, “LOGAN! ROGUE! We’ve got company.”

“Be down in a minute.” Rogue hollered back.

“Coffee?”

“Love some.”


Sitting at the table Helen glanced up at couple that moved into the room and smiled.

“Helen,” Logan nodded at her.

“Mrs. Creed what do we owe this pleasant surprise?”

“I just found something out that I think you might want to take a look at.”

“What?” Logan pulled the pages toward him. Flipping through them he glanced sharply at the woman sitting across from him. “How old is this?”

“Came in last night. My insider said that she overheard the call.”

“How reliable is your insider?”

“I’d stake my life on her information. She’s never fed me bad intel.”

“Logan? What is it?”

“Someone called from Xavier’s place.” Logan shoved the paperwork toward her. “The army’s gonna hit ‘em within the next few days.”

“Sooner than that. If you want in on this you’re gonna have to move fast. I brought a team with me; they’ll be flying down to New York this afternoon.”

“So you’re helping Xavier out then?”

“No. I’m helping those kids out. How many of them are obvious targets? How many will die before the nights out? They’re children; they have no control over what the adults in their lives do.”

Rogue nodded and looked at Logan. “What do you want to do?”

“We can’t let ‘em fall. Makes us like they are.”

“I’ll get our gear,” Rogue rose smoothly. “Full armaments?”

“Yeah.”

“She’s bounced back quite well.”

“She’s a fighter,” Logan replied rising to his feet.

“How are you? I see you haven’t left her here. You haven’t fallen back into the lifestyle that you once had.”

“She needs me.”

“And you? What do you need?” Helen asked carefully.

Logan glanced at her steadily, “She just walked out of the room.”

“My team will be ready.”

Logan nodded and walked out of the kitchen leaving Tank sitting silently and Helen staring at his retreating back.

“He’s changed.”

“No. I don’t think so.” Tank said. “I think he’s the same man he always was. He’s just found something new to focus on.”

“And what happens when revenge is dealt out? When he has payment for the wounds the girls suffered?”

“Payment will never be in full.” Tank rose and poured a cup of coffee for himself. “As far as he’s concerned Logan’s world is this place, these people. He loves her Helen. In ways that we will never understand.”

Helen nodded, “I’ll meet you at the airfield.”

“Why not just use the pad here? It’s big enough to land a large helicopter.”

“Don’t want to impose any more than we already have.”

Tank laughed, “You gave him back something he’d been missing Helen. You can’t impose on us if you tried.”
“Still we’ll meet at the airfield. No sense in disrupting the kids if we don’t have to.”

Tank nodded and watched her disappear out the door. Opening the folder he sighed. Xavier was at the top of the next hit list for the army. He wondered idly who had ratted them out and why. Time would tell he supposed.



Silence filled the interior of the small private jet as the two teams sat contemplating this attack. Regardless of what was said or done, they all knew that they would have to protect the innocent lives.

Helen turned her head to watch Logan and his team. Huddled together the girls held hands, their heads bowed together, their bodies tensed. Next to them the men in their lives watched over them in stoic silence. Careful touches, small caresses were all indications of emotional dependencies welcomed by the small group.

“They’re gonna be formidable.”

Helen glanced at the woman who spoke. “They were trained by the best there is Val. You should know that.”

“They’re fighting a battle of their own this time. Whoever sold Xavier out will pay for it with their lives. As much as they might hate the man, they don’t want to see the children in his care harmed.”

“Be prepared for this Val. We’re going to have to fight hard to save them kids.”

Val smiled sadly, “I haven’t taken it easy on the battlefield in sixty years… no point in starting now.”


“We can do this.” Kitty whispered clinging to Rogue and Jubilee’s hands. “We’re strong, trained…”

“And we move as one.” Rogue replied looking at her steadily. “We’re not alone now either.”

“For the kids.”

“For the kids.” Kitty and Rogue echoed softly even as they leaned back into the men holding them. They would make it work. Xavier would owe them another on the tally list but they weren’t willing to risk the kids having to live their nightmares.
Chapter 43 by Shadowlady
Sitting together in the cool interior of the nondescript black sedan Frankenstein waited for darkness. Waited for the coming wave of soldiers with guns and death on their minds. The soft beep of a radio had everyone tensing as the shadows lengthened and darkness fell. A couple of hours as the helicopters would be on the school.

“We all know why we’re here,” Logan growled. “Bear that in mind when you’re dealing with these pricks.”

“Prisoners?” Scott asked.

“None. If you have to remove anyone remember to take kids only. If it’s in a uniform it’s an enemy.”

“What about Beast and Storm?” Kitty asked softly.

“Use your discretion. We can’t afford to risk the lives of our kids to protect two adults.”

With a slight nod the group slid into the shadows, searching out the weakness in Xavier’s security. “Frankenstein is in.” Rogue muttered touching her throat where her communicator was.

“Creed Inc.’s got the backdoor.” The soft reply scratched in her ears and Rogue smiled at Logan. “Let’s do this thing.”

“Y’all have your telepathy devices on?”

“See you on the other side.”

Separating in to teams they moved off. Taking up positions at key locations they waited in silence. With Xavier and his people still awake they had to stay in the shadows for a while. Soon enough they would reveal themselves.


After sitting for what seemed like days, the communicator’s crackled to life. “Heads up. Three stealth birds coming in low.” Helen declared. “The mansion residents are all asleep.”

“Cyclops, Panther?” Wolverine growled softly. “Fury, Tank? You ready?”

“Contact in two minutes.”

“No prisoners.” Rogue declared and looked at Wolverine. “Let’s see if they like to dance to our tune.”

Chuckling Wolverine rose and led the way. Hugging the building they entered the foyer after an all clear signal from Panther. A moment later the two other teams were standing staring up the staircase.

“Alarm?”

“Has been reactivated. With a bit of a bonus. The next person who tries to dismantle it’s gonna get a shock.” Panther declared.

Wolverine nodded. “I hear the band time to dance.”

After touching fists the three girls headed up the stairs toward the dormitory. They would be the defense for the kids – and hopefully be able to neutralize any internal threat. Slinking through the shadows they paused as the sounds of helicopters reached them.

“They have to be pretty damn close.”

“Right above us. Come on lets go.”

“I tell you I see Jean and I’ll leave her with the army.” Fury hissed. “Bitch deserves it.”

“Just remember what we’re here for. Don’t go hunting until afterwards.”

Nodding at Rogue’s calm statement Fury smiled. “I’ll be a good girl.”

“You always are.”


With a final check of their guns the girls waited, listening for the sound of booted feet on the stairwells. Tensing, prepared for battle they waited, watching even as the first hint of what was to come appeared.

Dressed in black with semi-automatic rifles three soldiers appeared on the landing. One waved at the other two to separate and the girls slid deeper into the shadows.

Rogue nodded at her friends a moment before the soldiers began moving along the corridor. When they opened the first three doors the girls moved.

“Not so fast asshole,” Rogue growled coming up behind one and grabbing him around the neck. Pulling backward so he was pressed against her body she flashed her claws. Sinking them deep into his chest she pushed him away and turend to help her friends.

Ducking a punch Fury looked ready to use her mutation. A dark look of rage twisted her face as she did a spinnging kick that sent the soldier stumbling back a step. A moment later she did a forward flip and hit him in the chest with both feet knocking him onto his back.

“Here’s where you pay the piper bitch,” she snarled and drove the slim dagger she carried into his neck. “Subject neutralized.”

“A little help,” Panther snarled blocking a kick even as she phased out and appeared behind the soldier she’d been sparring with. A moment later he stood gasping, bloody froth coming from his lips as she jerked upward with the two blades in her hands.

“Got another wave coming.” Rogue pointed out a moment before the next series of soldiers appeared.

Cursing at a lucky punch that hit her in the face she snarled low, letting the anger, and the need for blood fill her soul. “Wrong move asswipe.” She growled grabbing his arm and using his weight against him. Several strong kicks to the midsection and she backhanded the dazed soldier sending him crashing into a couple more.

“Get the kids outta here!” she hollered at the other pair. “I’ll hold ‘em.”

“We can’t leave you…”

“I’m not alone!” Rogue replied tapping her temple. “I’ve got more experience than you two combined as well as two very powerful warriors in my head. Go! Get this floor cleared!”

Fury and Panther shared a glance and darted down the hallway all but dragging kids who were appearing toward the stairs. “Come on!” Fury grabbed a boy who looked vaguely familiar. “We don’t have time to argue.”

“I can help.”

“Get your ass in gear. They aren’t here for a party. They’re here to kill those that they can’t use. Now go! You wanna help protect those girls.” Fury snapped pointing at the young girls racing past them. “You’ve just become their last defense. Get out now!”

With a quick nod the boy took off thundering down the stairs toward the escape hatch a floor below them.

The echo of gunfire from below only increased the confusion and the mass panic that filled the hallways a moment before the boom of thunder above shook the mansion.

“Storm’s up!” Fury called.

“Look out!” Panther warned elbowing a man in the face with enough force to shatter his mask and splatter blood on the walls. With a hard kick the man hit the ground and was still. Panting she turned to the two racing toward her, their guns cocked, and a fury in their bodies. “Not likely.” she snarled and phased out letting them run through her. Regaining her solid form she grabbed the gun straps and jerked, upsetting the men even as she used their momentum to knock two more men out of commission.

Flipping a man over the edge of the railing Fury turned at the sudden appearance of another body and ducked as she recognized Colossus racing into the thick of battle. Hunched down on her haunches she kicked the feet out of one man and drove his own blade into his throat as he hit the ground.

“Guess you don’t know how to dance.” She chuckled and darting off down the hallway.

“Jubilee!” Colossus hollered punching a nearby soldier and knocking him through the wall he watched as the girl he’d known years before disappeared into the fray. Following her was easier than he’d anticipated; she left a trail of dead or dying men in her wave. Some were burnt with her sparks; others were drowning in their own blood.


After hours of what felt like endless waves of soldiers the mansion fell silent. An eerie calm settled over it as Charles appeared in the foyer, shaken, bruised but alive. Staring across the expensive carpeting at the team that was gathering he swallowed.

Everyone jumped slightly when Rogue jumped from the landing above them and landed with cat-like grace by Wolverine. “They didn’t like the music.”

Wolverine smirked, his clothes soaked with blood, his body humming from the adrenaline. “I thought it was okay.”

“Lets go.”

“Wait.” Charles moved forward. “You brought them.”

Wolverine snorted at that statement and glanced at the girls who turned to face Charles Xavier. He shifted slightly, moving back to flank the girls with Scott and Tank.

“This isn’t going to be pretty is it?” Scott whispered.

“No. It’s going to be anything but pretty.” Wolverine growled. “And we still have to find out who sent them.”

Scott nodded. “Who stood to gain the most by this attack?”

Sharing a glance the boys turned back to the current confrontation. They’d figure that out after they had all gotten to safety.

“We aren’t like you old man.” Rogue growled moving toward him with a sublte shift of her body. “We don’t play that game. Consider it just another debt to be paid off later.”

“Don’t threaten…”

“Who’s threatening?” Rogue purred leaning down to be even with him. She licked her lips seductively. “Frankenstein doesn’t threaten, she promises.”

Rising she turend and walked back to where Logan was standing. Smiling at him she rested a hand on his chest. “And this is far from over.”
Chapter 44 by Shadowlady
With a pointed look at Charles the team turned toward the doors.

~If you think I’m going to let you walk out of here without an explanation you’re sadly mistaken.~ Charles snapped only slightly shocked when nothing happened the group merely stepped closer to the doors. “You’re insane if you think I’m about to let you just walk out of here.”

“No really.” Scott paused with a slight smirk. He pulled Kitty toward him. “take a good look around Professor. We aren’t the enemy, we’re just doing what we have to.”

“You’re staying with them then?” Charles gaped at him.

“Why not?” Kitty paused and looked at the two men. “At least with us he knows whose gonna be in his bed.”

“What’s that supposed to mean?” Jean hissed.

“Careful Red,” Rogue snickered. “You’re about to really piss me off…and then Charles won’t have himself a beautiful little protégé who hasn’t got the morals of a two bit whore!”

Jean stepped forward only to freeze at the flash in Rogue’s eyes. Gone was the familiar brown eyes and in their stead was an icy pit of darkness. “You’re not even worth it. Just the used up…”

“Careful.” Logan’s low snarl had everyone glancing at him.

Where Jubilee and Kitty had been standing next to the men they were now advancing slowly. A cold, impersonal look upon their faces. Rather than three girls Charles recognized three killing machines. They’d been trained to kill, to harm, to hurt, and they would use that training on anyone who got in the way.

“Enough!” Charles glanced at Jean. “Now is not the time Jean.”

“But…”

“Be a good little lap bitch and do as your master tells ya.” Rogue growled her fists clenching and unclenching. “Before I forget myself and just rip you apart.”

Jean glared at her for a moment before shrugging. “You need help.”

Logan chuckled. “Come on darlin’ let the kids play.”

Rogue snickered. “A good fight always gets me going. Hey lets get a room, I’m dying of hunger.”

Wolverine flashed a sneer at Jean and Charles who paled considerably. “Yeah, I know what you mean.”

Jerking open the door Scott rolled his eyes behind his optics. “Move Colossus.”

“Make me.” Colossus drawled eying them with borderline hatred.

Shaking his head Scott reached for the switch.

“Let me.” Jubilee tapped his arm and flashed a sweet smile. “Move you metallic ass Colossus or I’ll move it for you.”

“You and what army?”

Jubilee raised an eyebrow even as Rogue and Kitty moved to stand against her. “I believe my own. You gonna be a gentleman and move or am I gonna have to rip your throat out?”

“Oooh lets rip out his throat!” Kitty clapped her hands. “I definitely could go for that option.”

“No. We aren’t like them.” Rogue smiled charmingly. “Just kinda toss him out of the way. Our goal was to protect the children. Not play house with a bunch of neurotic, self-possessed geeks who have no idea what’s happening.”

“Spoilsport.” Jubilee grumbled but nodded. “Still you have a point. After all I have a date with a Tank.”

Giggling the trio turned their attention back to Colossus. “What’s it gonna be?”

With a glance behind them Colossus nodded slightly. “Till next time ladies.”

Giggling the trio shook their heads. “Next time we won’t feel so generous.”

Scott paused next to Colossus and met his gaze. “Don’t mess with what you can’t handle. You can’t win…not with those three.”

“And you have?”

Scott glanced behind him for a moment before looking at the woman waiting for him. Covered from head to toe in blood, battered, sweaty, with a shy grin on her face his lover waited patiently. “Someday you might just understand. Be careful Piotr. Someone on the inside called the army in…just don’t wait around to become a casualty.”

Colossus stared after the small group who despite appearance hadn’t relaxed their guard. The girls had easily fallen into step with the men they were with.

“What are the casualties?” Charles said after the roar of an engine faded.

“Two minor injuries amongst the students. The entire special Ops team was wiped out.”

“How many did they kill?”

Hank glanced at Charles then turned to head for the elevator. “All of them.”

Jean stared out the open door with a dark look on her face. Obviously she had to get rid of those three without help. Glancing around she sighed softly to herself. There was nothing she could do at the moment without drawing attention to her plan.

“Jean, you and Storm begin the task of gathering the students. I think we’ve had enough excitement to last for a while.”

“Yes sir.” Jean glanced at Storm and nodded her head. There would be plenty of time later to destroy those girls. Plenty of time to get her revenge and she’d do it in such a way that they’d never bounce back.


Colossus rolled his shoulders glad to be able to relax his mutation. Walking toward Charles he wondered what Scott had meant about an insider.

“Something’s bothering you.” Charles murmured softly.

“Just something Cyclops said.”

“What did he say?”

“One of us called the army in. One of our own betrayed us.” Piotr replied.

“Then perhaps its time we started looking into who would stand to gain the most by this cruel twist of loyalty.”

Piotr nodded and glanced down the hallway. He had his doubts about one of the team…doubts that he was beginning to think were a little too close to home.
Chapter 45 by Shadowlady
Scott settled next to Logan and Tank as they watched the girls swimming laps in the Olympic sized pool of the hotel.

“I thought she was going to tear him to pieces.” Scott admitted holding out a beer for Logan.

“She was.” Logan grunted.

“Any ideas on who would go to those links to destroy us?”

“A few.”

“Not going to tell me huh?” Scott chuckled.

Logan turned his head and stared at the other man. “Just where is your loyalty Scott?”

“What the hell does that mean?” Scott bristled.

“He means there’s only one person who would want to destroy Rogue, Jubilee, or Kitty.” Tank drawled without moving from where he sat. “And that person is Jean Grey.”

Scott tensed and glanced between the two men. “Are you serious?”

“Who else has been so adamant about sending them out on that mission? Who else has gone out of their way to hurt and humiliate them? And let’s face it; she didn’t exactly wait for your body to get cold before she went crawling into Iceman’s bed.”

Scott nodded as he realized that they were concerned about how he’d react. Briefly a sigh he shrugged, “You think I’m going to get all pissed off and run back to them because of that?”

“I think you weren’t really given much of a choice in the beginning.” Logan drawled. “We picked you because we knew Kitty was attracted to you before…”

“I’m not leaving her. She’s my world now. Yes we started off a tad rocky but we’re on solid ground now.”

Tank and Logan shared a look. “You do realize that there’s a possibility of a child.”

“What?”

Tank shifted and leaned forward. “Rogue asked me this morning about having kids. I told her that it was a possibility for anyone. She wanted to know about Jubilee and Kitty. Wanted to know if the damage done to their bodies would prevent their having a baby and I told her that it might. There was a lot of damage done Scott…”

“So? I’d love to have a baby with Kitty but what does that have to do with anything. If we can’t I’m not going to pressure her.”

Logan nodded. “Did you know that the meddling the army did to Rogue’s blood has made it an excellent healing serum?”

“So?”

“She gave some to both girls.” Logan admitted softly. “Said she couldn’t stand to see Kitty begging to hold the baby from the lab. She took two vials of blood and injected them into the girls.”

“When?”

“When it became apparent that Jubilee may have been infected with an STD from those two…” Tank paused. “Even the antibiotics I gave her couldn’t stop the spread of something that virulent. Rogue’s blood stopped it in its track.”

“Why are we discussing this? Why aren’t we kicking Xavier’s ass?” Scott rose to pace. “So Rogue’s a walking healing factory? Who cares? I don’t. I’m not into using her to heal something that isn’t broken!”

“I know that.” Tank rose smoothly and face both the men. “I’m merely pointing this out because this morning I caught Jubilee flushing her birth control pills.”

“Why is she on the pill if she can’t…?”

“Said it made her feel normal. I think they need this.”

“They need an apology from Xavier. Need to know that everybody doesn’t think of them as used trash.”

“We love them.” Logan grunted. “Scars, nightmares and all but someone out there is willing to kill them. We need to know why? We can’t give them what they need if we have to fight every step of the way.”

“She was jealous.” Scott sighed. “Jealous of the way you paid attention to Rogue. I saw it but didn’t pay it much attention. She never really gave me a chance to deal with it.”

“By why Jubilee and Kitty?”

“Couldn’t send one without drawing suspicion I assume.” Scott frowned. “So she tried to destroy three lives in the hopes that with them gone she’d be able to play her little games with Logan and me.”

“I’m afraid so.” Tank said and glanced at the pool where the girls were climbing out. “Now all we have to is find out how to stop her.”

“Kill the bitch.” Logan growled as Rogue laughed at Kitty who was sputtering and holding her hands up against the water being splashed at her from the other two.

“Slowly. Painfully.” Scott replied. “Give her a taste of what they endured.”

“But we have to figure out how to do it. We can’t just walk in and say we’re taking Jean. We need to draw her out…” Tank paused as Jubilee came rushing toward him. “We’ll finish this later.” He grinned at the young woman who threw herself against him. “Hmm wet and warm just like I like you.”

Jubilee laughed. “Come on Rogue said something about having breakfast then going shopping.”

The men groaned as Jubilee grabbed for the towels and a bathrobe. “Come on.”

“We’ll meet you in the restaurant.” Logan drawled pulling Rogue close to hug her. “You get dried off and changed and then we’ll go shopping.”

“Gotcha.”

Watching the trio dart off much like they would have years before he snarled low in his throat. “Figure out how to get her away from the mansion. I figure another week and we’ll be able to get our hands on some of that drug they used on Rogue and Storm. Give her a hit to knock her out.”

“I think she should remember what’s going to happen.” Scott snapped.

Logan turned to him a slow, maniacal smirk crossing his face. “Who said she wouldn’t?”

Scott glanced at Tank as Logan stalked off. “Where do you stand on this?”

With a glance at him Tank shrugged, “I remember what they looked like when we first rescued them. Remember the bruises, the cuts, the burns, the blisters, and the damage that they still carry. I still hear the ghosts that haunt them. I’m with Logan on this, and I’m willing to kill anyone who tries to stop us.”

“Good. I’d hate to have to kill you for not wanting this for our women. For those kids back home that Jean would condemn to a life of pain and suffering.”

“We’ll plan this in detail once we’re home. Until then keep it to yourself. No point in the getting the ladies worked up.”

Scott nodded his agreement. He had plans for his future, a future that involved the woman with him now and he’d be damned if he’d let anything or anyone get in the way of them.
Chapter 46 by Shadowlady
With a cup of coffee in her hands Rogue stared out the window at Kitty and several of the kids they’d taken in. The faint scars on her friend’s face had faded a great deal in the months since their move from Helen Creed’s place. Physically they’d bounced back, falling back into the warmth and caring of the men in their lives.

Rogue knew that they needed to learn to stand on their own. Knew that they needed to prove that they could stand alone and with the men busy with their newest ‘plan’ she was thinking it was the perfect time.

“Don’t even think it.” Logan’s distinct growl had her glancing at him with a smile.

“What?”

“I know you darlin’ and I can see that you’re planning something. Don’t even worry about it.”

“I was thinking of a simple test is all.”

“A test for what?”

“To see if we can stand alone.”

Logan moved over and pulled her back against him. “You stand alone every day Rogue. No matter how many think different you three have more strength in yourselves than you know.”

“But we’ve always relied upon…”

“Even the Rock of Gibralter needs a foundation.” Logan pointed out softly. “Besides that I don’t think Kitty’s too anxious to be going into battle.”

“Why not?”

“I think she might be pregnant.”

“What? Tank said…”

“I know what he said. Just as I know about you injecting your blood into them. I could smell you on them for days afterwards.”

“I had no choice.”

“Don’t defend your actions to me Marie. I’m not going to blame you.”

Rogue sighed. “We have so much to fix I don’t even know where to start.”

“Fix?”

“The nightmares came back.” Rogue whispered sadly as she studied Jubilee and Kitty who were talking amongst themselves. “Every night this week one of us has wakened with a nightmare. We’ve spent more time down here in this kitchen than the rest of you put together.”

“Look we have an idea of who’s creating a problem with Xavier. Let us go deal with it then we’ll all take a holiday. Go anywhere you want to go.”

Rogue sighed. “Going after Jean Grey isn’t going to solve the problems.”

“Perhaps. But do you really want us to stop?”

Rogue shook her head. “No. I think you should let us help you.”

Logan chuckled and kissed her quickly. “No. Not this time. This is for us. For what she’s done against the entirety of us. That we’ll get justice for you three is merely a part of that.”

“Be careful Logan. She doesn’t play games and if she can find a way to kill you she will.”

Logan nodded quickly. “She tries it and she’ll be spending a lot of time wishing she’d never been born.”

“Don’t hurt her like that…” Rogue whispered softly. “Don’t use her body…”

“Hey we’re not like that. You know me, and Tank, and Scott. You know we’re gonna find a way of tormenting her without defiling our bodies.”

Rogue nodded slightly. “I’m just scared.”

“That’s alright. We all are.” Logan pulled her against his chest and held on. “We all are but we can’t put this off. This is something that has to be done.”

“Come home to us.”

“We will.”

“Logan?” Scott’s voice interrupted them.

“Coming.”

Meeting Rogue’s gaze Scott saw more than the wash of fear. He recognized the pain and the longing, and the faint but distinct flare of hope. Smiling softly at her he turned to walk away.

“Scott?”

“Yeah Rogue?”

“Bring him home to me.”

With a quick nod he moved away from the doorway. He didn’t know if he could honor that request but he’d die trying.


Alone in the kitchen Rogue shivered suddenly cold to the bone. No amount of training, no amount of experience could ever prepare her for the fact that she could very easily lose Logan. Hearing the engine of the four by four Rogue raced to the front door.

“LOGAN!” Scrambling down the stairs she raced toward him. Diving into his arms she held him tightly. “I love you.”

“Love you to darlin’. I’ll be back soon.” He promised softly.

“I know. It’s the only thing keeping me here.”


Logan climbed into the driver’s side of the vehicle and closed the door just as Kitty and Jubilee joined Rogue. He waved at them, seeing the tears Rogue refused to shed in her dark eyes.

“Lets get the bitch; I don’t like seein’ my girl hurting.” He growled.

“Yeah. Where?”

“Helen’s lined up a bunker for us a couple of hours south of Calgary. She’s going to make sure that the good Doctor is there no later than Saturday night.” Tank explained checking his gun. “We’ll have complete privacy.”

“She sending anyone?” Logan asked.

“She’s got Reaper and Val on standby just in case we need help. Said to be careful and to use our telepathy blockers.”

“I still don’t get it.” Scott sighed. “Why be jealous of a bunch of teenagers? Why go as far as she did to get rid of them?”

“We’ll ask her when we see her.”

“You do realize that the girls will ultimately follow us?” Tank pointed out smoothly.

“I know. I give it two days before they make contact. Rogue isn’t exactly the type to keep her distance from me. She needs me as much as I need her.”

Scott nodded. “Then lets make sure they get what they deserve shall we?”

“Agreed.”

Falling silent the men headed east. They’d beat Jean Grey to the location and get things set up. Once she was there, she’d learn the error of her ways and no amount of telepathy or telekinesis would save her.
Chapter 47 by Shadowlady
It really hadn’t taken much to get Charles to okay her coming north. In fact a hint of a new medication, something that she’d told him interested her had resulted in permission. Of course he’d ordered Hank to come along but Hank had managed to avoid coming quite nicely.

It seemed lately that Hank was determined to avoid spending any amount of time with her and she was grateful. Noting having to look at the huge monstrous blue man was a relief. In many ways he was inferior to her, and yet she often felt off balance, out of control with him.

With a shake of her head Jean sighed softly and parked the rental car in front of the small office. Smiling she checked her appearance in the mirror before she slid out of the car. Jean strode toward the door glancing around easily.

One hand went for the front door and she pulled it open just as a shadow appeared beside her car. Completely unaware of the figure eying her from the parking lot she let the door close behind her.



With a faint smirk Scott nodded. “Target’s inside.”

“Set the canister.” Tank’s voice instructed. “Once the door’s closed it’ll kick in. Thirty seconds or less and she’s gonna be in dreamland.”

“The distraction is in place.”

“How long have we got?”

“Two more minutes. Helen said that her contact would give the information to Jean quickly and send her on her way.”

Scott nodded and quickly rigged the small canister Tank had given him. Pushing away from the car he snickered, she was going to know what hell was like that was for damn sure.



“Are you sure they won’t kill us?” Kitty asked from the back seat of the van.

“Very. Besides you’re not coming with us.” Rogue pulled into the parking lot and cut the engine. “You’re staying in the van.”

“Like hell I am!” Kitty sat up and promptly groaned even as she reached for the bucket that she’d been holding onto for the past few hours. “Ooh why did I do that?”

Rogue grinned and looked over her shoulder. “You know you had fun doing it.”

“What are you talkin’ about?” Kitty muttered desperately wishing for anything to chew on that would help with the nausea.

Rogue glanced at Jubilee then back at her friend. “You’re pregnant kiddo.”

“No I’m not. I can’t get pregnant. The army saw to that.”

“Yeah but my blood repaired the damage. And since we both know that you and Scott don’t exactly practice pregnancy-free sex…”

“Shut up. I can’t have a baby so quit teasing me.”

Jubilee sighed. “You remember that blood Tank drew before he left?”

“Yeah. Scott practically fainted at the sight of it.”

“We dug into the results. You’re pregnant Kitty.”

“I’ll stay put.” Kitty whispered softly.

“Hey we don’t have to do this.”

“Yeah we do. We need to know why if nothing else.”

Rogue nodded and opened her door. “I’m going to get us a couple of rooms. Just sit still okay.”

“No problem.” Kitty moaned even as Jubilee began digging for the box of crackers she’d packed. “I’ll be a still as stone.”

Chuckling Rogue hurried into the motel’s office and rented three rooms. A quick check proved that the men hadn’t rented rooms there…and other than the local shelter there was no other place to stay.

With the keys in hand Rogue helped the other two get settled into their rooms before she settled into her own. Dropping onto the bed she stared at her hands for a moment a feeling of rage battling with fear.

She hated Jean Grey so much, hated her for what she’d done to them. Every time she watched the water from a shower run red with her own blood. When she tensed when Logan touched her the wrong way even in passing. When she felt weak, out of control… she hated the older woman.

Pulling her gloves off she stared at the smooth, flawless skin and felt another piece of her break. Trailing a nail across the back of one hand she left red lines…lines that followed the scars left by the surgeons. For every inch of scars she wanted Jean Grey to pay. She wanted the other woman to feel the way she did in her nightmares. Wanted her know what it was like to wake up smelling stale sex, semen, urine, blood.

There were so many things that she’d tried to bury. So many touches that she’d endured. Sounds that she’d tried desperately to block out. And she’d succeeded for the most part. Only when she wasn’t near Logan did those ghosts rear their ugly heads.

Cruel twists of fate that she never really understood. Rising to her feet she walked to the window and stared out. She’d seen the effect of the abuse on Kitty – witness the darkness that swam around her and knew that this wasn’t over for them. She’d listened to Kitty’s sobs, her screams every night since the men had left them at the house. Listened to Kitty begging with the darkness to let her be.

She could see the circles under Jubilee’s eyes. See the paler in the other woman’s face. More than once she’d risen from her bed to sit in the hall next to the door and listened to Jubilee’s mutters in her native tongue. She’d watched her friend scrubbing at her skin, watched her pound on their sparring props and knew that without the warmth and love of her man beside her Jubilee was being terrorized all over again by her own set of ghosts.

“She needs to pay.”

Pulling out her ‘night clothes’ Rogue laid them out over the bed and stared hard at them. Dark pants with multiple pockets, a long sleeved dark shirt that was made of lightweight material. Her duster, her boots, her gloves, her mask…all were tools to hide her identity to hide herself from the outside world and she hated them. Hated that she had to have them to be able to face the coming of the day.

A knock on the door roused her from her vigil. With a quick jerk she pulled the door open and stared at the face she knew as well as her own.

“She sleeping?”

“Yeah. I gave her the box of crackers, Scott’s t-shirt, and that stupid bear she picked up for the baby.”

“Seems to me she’s used it more than our baby has.”

“Yeah.” Jubilee settled into a chair. “I don’t get it.”

“Get what?”

“What we did. Why we were so expendable, so useless to them that they chose us.”

Rogue shrugged. “I don’t get it either. I know I feel it though. Every minute that Logan isn’t there, that I can’t reach out and touch him I feel it. It’s like a part of me is missing.”

“So what do we do?”

“I don’t know.” Sinking onto the end of the bed she stared at her friend. “How do I make myself believe that I can be that girl again Jubes? How do I face myself in the morning knowing that I didn’t get you guys out of there?”

“You didn’t put us there.”

“I know that she hated me. Hated that Logan cared about me…”

“That was on her not you.”

“Still I want to know why. I want an explanation for her callousness. Because of some unknown reason Kitty learned to associate sex with violence. Because of a transgression no one knows anything about you lost…”

“You didn’t rape us. You didn’t cut, and torture us.”

“But I walked out of there with my virginity in tact!” Rogue stormed before sobbing softly. “And I never felt so dirty in my life.”

Jubilee moved to pull her into a hug. “Sometimes you have to accept that thing aren’t perfect. You didn’t walk out of there innocent Rogue. Someone carried you out a battered, broken mess just like Kitty and I. You have nothing and I do mean NOTHING to feel guilty about.”

“Saying it doesn’t make it so.”

Jubilee nodded. “No but the truth is the blame rests on one set of shoulders. And as strong as yours are they aren’t it.”

“I need to talk to Logan. Need to see him…touch him.” Rogue whispered painfully. “I can’t shake this bad bad feeling.”

Jubilee glanced up at the sound of a heavy tread outside the door. Reaching for the waist of her jeans she pulled her gun a moment before the door swung open and a familiar man stood there watching them.

“Remind me again where you’re suppsed to be?” Logan growled as Rogue launched herself into hisarms.

“With you.” Rogue sobbed.

“Guilt complex.” Jubilee explained. “Did you get her?”

“Scott’s setting her up in the bunker. I knew you three wouldn’t stay home so I did a drive by and recognized the van.”

“You mad at us?”

Logan shook his head. “No. This is your fight to. I knew you’d want in on it.”

“You better talk to her.” Jubilee mouthed softly. “Before she does something dangerous like confront Jean Grey all on her own.”

“I’ll take care of my girl.” Logan promised as his pseudo daughter walked away. “Hey Marie, baby listen to me. Tonight we’re gonna have a chat with Jean Grey and you can get all the answers you want.”

Rogue nodded slowly. “I belong with you Logan. We couldn’t let you face her by yourself.”

“So a pregnant woman and two emotional basket cases figured they’d just drive down here and help out?”

Rogue giggled through her tears. “Hey I resent that. I’m not into baskets.”

“Come on. It’s gonna be a late night and you’re gonna need to be well rested. Let’s have a nap.”

“Don’t let go.” Rogue pleaded as he wrapped his arms around her. With him next to her she slipped into a deep sleep, unaware of the rage broiling in Logan’s eyes or the figure standing just outside the door listening.

Walking down the sideway Tank caught Jubilee’s eye. Tonight would be a brutal night and he wasn’t about to stand in his girl’s way. All he had to do was close his eyes to remember the scars, the screams, the attacks on him from her when she’d first arrived. No, he would give anything in this world to be sure that his Jubilee lost that shadow in her gaze, the tremble in her body at a touch.

“Let’s get some sleep.”

“Scott?”

Tank glanced behind him at the roar of an engine. “Which room is Kitty in?”

“113.” Jubilee pointed.

Tank glanced at Scott who nodded his understanding before facing Jubilee. “Come on.”

Following Tank without protest Jubilee glanced once at Scott as he walked tiredly into the hotel room where Kitty slept. Tonight would either kill them all or heal them – she could only pray that it was the latter.
Chapter 48 by Shadowlady
The pounding in her head was almost as bad as the nausea that rippled through her body. Moaning softly Jean blinked, hoping to clear her head enough to figure out what was happening.

Running her hands down her face she froze at the cold, metallic weight around her neck. Trembling fingers traced over it and she realized that she wore a collar. Desperately she scanned the area to see where she was and came up blank.

She rose to her feet and stared at the heavy chain around her ankle, effectively blocking any escape attempt. The nausea gave way to the fear and she wondered who had caught her.

Perhaps her contact had felt short changed with the lack of subjects from his attack. Perhaps the FoH had gotten her or even the Brotherhood. Hearing the creak of a heavy metal door she glanced up to see a tall, attractive blonde enter the room carrying what looked like a podium.

“What’s going on?” Jean asked shocked when the youth merely looked at her and walked back out the door.

She watched in stunned silence as chairs were brought in and set down in a row facing her before the blonde disappeared quickly as silently as he’d entered. The slam of the door had her jumping slightly before she began to search the nearby area for something to pick the lock with.

Jean pushed aside her terror she scrambling on the floor as her hands scrambled for something anything to get the shackle off. Hearing the heavy tread of someone approaching she stared at the door.

With the heavy groan of well worn metal the door opened to reveal darkness outside and she smothered a groan even as she moved back away from whoever was out there. Desperately she clawed at her throat… she needed her gifts to save her.

“Don’t bother.” The low, furious snarl was familiar and filled with bitterness and anger. “If you try to remove it without the key it’ll blow up. We don’t want you to lose you head so early in the game.”

Jean stared furiously at the man standing watching her a pair of shades on his eyes. “Scott what’s the meaning of this? What in the hell are you doing?”

“What am I doing? Well that’s for me to know and you to find out. Jean Grey, you’re about to meet your worst nightmare.” Scott moved toward the chairs and stood behind one.

Turning her head Jean stared as a cloaked figure walked through the door to settle in the chair Scott held. A moment later two others joined the young woman and sat back. Swallowing harshly she stared as the hoods were pushed back to reveal two more familiar faces.

“If it isn’t the monsters the Army made.” Jean snickered.

Rogue smiled coldly. “Hold your tongue bitch. You aren’t in control now.”

Jean stared at her even as she saw two more shadows enter the room. Turning her gaze she met Logan’s gaze. Ignoring the other man completely she smiled slightly, hinting at sexual favors. “Logan what’s happening? What’s going on?”

“It’s simple.” Logan replied. “Frankenstein has a few questions for you.”

“So you kidnap me?”

“Why not?” Kitty asked her fingers wrapped tightly around the neck of the teddy in her lap. She wouldn’t allow Jean to intimidate her any longer. “After all you seem to get off on captivity.”

“What the fuck is that supposed to mean little girl?” Jean hissed.

Rising to her feet Kitty stormed up to Jean and stared at her for a moment before smirking. “It means you’re not in a position to ask questions bitch. You answer us or I will make sure the only thing Xavier gets back is the scrapings off the wall!”

“Sit down and get out of my face. You don’t scare me. Nothing but the used up, left over trash of a lab.”

Kitty snickered and turned slightly. A moment later her elbow connected solidly with Jean’s midsection. When Jean gasped and doubled over Kitty’s boot connect with her face, splitting her lip and cracking her nose.

“Even trash has its day.” Kitty snarled as Scott moved toward her. “Now it’s your turn to be used up trash. See the guys were going to be nice. You know ask a few questions, perhaps toss a punch or two…we aren’t so nice.”

“Kitty, honey careful.”

“You think he’s gonna want you when he finds out…” Jean muttered only to wince when her hair was pulled hard enough to lift her head.

“He’s seen every inch of my body. Every scar, every defect they left me with and he keeps coming back for more. I could strip him naked and take him right here and now…but I’ve learned that an audience isn’t such a good thing. Sometimes they want to participate and I’m not about to share…not even with Miss Perfection herself.”

The rough shove of the fistful of hair had Jean hitting the floor and laying there nursing the minor wounds she had. Wiping at the blood on her face she eyed Kitty who had backed away from her.

“This isn’t over.”

“It’s just getting started.” Kitty replied before turning and sinking into her chair. Grabbing the package Jubilee offered she began slowly eating the crackers. She didn’t really want Jean to see her throw up.

“So this is what Frankenstein is huh?” Jean snapped scathingly. “So well trained, such killers that you can’t take on the entire team? You have to single us out and kill us one by one.”

“Oh we don’t intend to kill anyone else.” Rogue acknowledged from where she sat. “See the boys did a bit of digging around and found out some rather interesting details. You’ve been a very naughty girl Doc. Very, very naughty.”

“Go to hell.”

“Been there.” Rogue rose and paced along the floor. Each step was measured, collected as though she were trying to keep her cool. “I relive that experience nightly. Sometimes so much so that I wake up screaming with the memories. But you see that’s the beauty of this situation. I manage to escape…you won’t.”

“How do you know? The X-Men are probably on their way right now. They’re gonna…”

“Do jack shit! Our sister organization has interceptors in place. You’re on your own.”

“What do you want? Hmm? Money? Power?”

“I have enough of both.” Rogue replied sinking to her heels in front of Jean. “See what I want is what you can give me. I want answers. I want you to explain to me why I shouldn’t beat you to death. Why I shouldn’t just chain you to the wall and let the rats eat you.”

“You’re not even human.” Jean whispered softly. “And I won’t tell you anything.”

“I kinda figured you’d say that. So I’m gonna enjoy this.” Rogue rose smoothly to her feet. Watching Jean favor her midsection as she struggled to her feet Rogue smiled sickeningly. The thud as a swift, hard steel-toed boot connecting with the soft body echoed within the bunker. Cracking her neck easily Rogue enjoyed the pained scream from Jean even as she counted to five.

Another kick had Jean on her stomach sobbing in agony. “Now then lets try this again bitch. I want to know why.”

“Go to hell. I refuse to tell you anything.” Jean gasped painfully.

“Kinda hoping you’d say that.” Rogue’s booted heel came down on her hand, crushing bones easily making the older woman scream. “Actually I’m hoping you don’t tell me anything. I’d hate to leave nothing for Jubilee to play with.”

Jean spat a mouthful of blood at Rogue and glared at her but held her tongue. Screaming as the slighter built woman lifted her to her knees by her hair she barely saw the hand coming until it connected with her face knocking her back off her feet and sending her a couple of feet away.

“They played with my mutation a tad. I’m not as weak you would like to believe me to be.” Rogue drawled grabbing the chain and pulling it toward her. Kneeling over Jean’s chest she snickered. “Having fun yet?”

Jean gasped at the pain even as she coiled her body. She wouldn’t let them beat her even without her powers. “Fuck you.” She spat in Rogue’s face ignoring the low angry hiss from Logan behind her.

“No thanks. I’m not into girls.”

Smashing a fist into Jean’s face she shook her head at the crackling of facial bones. Tilting her head she glanced at Jubilee, “She’s got the weakest bones I’ve ever seen. Busted her nose already.”

“Just don’t kill the whore yet. I wanna have some answers.” Jubilee said walking toward them. Putting a booted foot on Jean’s chest by Rogue’s thigh she leaned forward. “My turn?”

Rogue held up her hands in a universal sign of surrender and backed away. “By all means. Ask away.”

The click and whistle of a switchblade coming into play had Jean’s eyes widening even as Jubilee held her pinned to the ground. Watching the silver of the blade in fear Jean wondered just how far Logan and Scott would let this go. She didn’t doubt that when faced with just what these brats were willing to do they’d change their opinions of them.

“So Doc, you uh like surgery?” Jubilee purred.

“Why don’t you go beg some soldier to fuck you harder again bitch?”

Scott glanced at Tank when he took a step forward. Resting a hand on the big man’s arm he shook his head. “Let her handle this.”

“But that thing don’t…”

The high pitched scream from Jean had their attention back on the pair on the floor.

Logan nudged Scott’s shoulder. “Looks like she’s taking that whole eye for an eye thing serious.”

“And you don’t?”

Logan chuckled. “Well yeah but she’d doing it differently.”

Striking out blindly at Jubilee Jean held her bloody face with one hand. The feel of the sharp blade slicing through flesh had been hard. It had burnt, tearing and ripping apart the cells like nothing she’d ever felt before.

Twisting and bucking under the other woman she struggled to get to her feet. She’d been trained to fight and she’d beat them all before going home. When Charles heard about this he’d order their destruction.

“You still ain’t told me what I wanna know Jean.” Jubilee’s hard tone held impatience.

“Well if you asked nicely…” Jean shrieked when the blade sunk into her shoulder tearing through flesh and muscle, sinking deep into the bone.

“I believe I have been.” Rising Jubilee grabbed her by the throat and lifted her. A hard kick to the midsection and Jean stumbled back into Rogue’s grip.

Choking and swinging blindly Jean struggled to avoid the short, hard punches of Rogue. Spitting out blood Jean could feel the slow, tickle of it as it flowed down her arm to drip off her fingers.

The steady drip of it hitting the hard floor echoed in her mind along with the crunch of bones breaking. Dizzy, her body riddled with agony Jean stared at the men standing watching them and cursed them all out in her mind.

“You know I don’t think she’s in a talkative mood.” Kitty stated calmly. “Perhaps we need a bit more persuasive discussion.”

“Like what?” Scott asked as Kitty stood with a sick, twisted smile he’d seen on her face a long time ago. Feeling a bolt of fear he watched her approach the group and eye Jean who swayed weakly between them.

“We need a couple of batteries.” Kitty suggested.

“I don’t know where we’d get them at this time of night.”

“Fire?”

“That I can do.” Rogue stated with a grin. Digging through her coat she pulled out a lighter. “Let’s see how well she likes it.”

“Hold her steady.” Kitty said taking the lighter. “Now Jean this is gonna hurt…like hell but then we don’t care. You tell us what we want to know…we let you live. You don’t we’ll just keep getting nastier and nastier. Pretty soon there won’t be enough to send back to New York. Unlike my friends I’m not so easily placated. I’m tired, I’m cranky, and I’ve had enough!”

“Fuck you.” Jean spat before screaming in agony when the lighter was flicked open and held under her arm.

“We’ve got all night bitch, and a years worth of torture and bitter experience to go on.”

Swimming in pain Jean barely heard her. Instead she debated on how to explain this how to save herself from the revenge driven minds before her. She couldn’t explain it to herself so convincing these three of her innocence was going to be extremely difficult.
Chapter 49 by Shadowlady
Jean could feel her mind and body swimming in a restless sea of pain and rage. Each breath felt like her chest was being shredded. Each moan, each whimper pounded through her head.

Blinking her eyes open she stared hard that the line of chairs. Empty now, her hell empty save herself. She remembered Logan’s growl that had the three girls backing off and leaving her to lay on the floor, battered, bruised, but not broken. Not yet.

The agony was so bad she didn’t even have the tears to shed. Crawling to her knees she swallowed against the rising bile, even as she gave in to the urge and she threw up. With each wretch of her body the agony pierced her again and again.

Hearing the creak of a door opening she glanced up to see Rogue stalking into the room a small bowl in one hand and a small scrap of fabric in the other.

“Better wash your mouth out. You’re beginning to stink this place up.”

“Go to hell.”

“You already sent me there. I’m merely returning the favor.”

“You really think you’ve got him hooked huh?” Jean laughed weakly. “Think he’s gonna keep coming back to you? Did you tell him what they did to you? To your precious little friends? No because you’re too much of a coward.”

Rogue shrugged and looked at Jean, “At least he’s willing to fuck me. He wouldn’t touch you with ‘Tooth’s dick much less his own!”

Stepping back when jean lunged for her Rogue laughed. “What’s the matter Doc? Can’t have it all? Can’t stand it that I got what you wanted so badly.”

“I’ll have him.” Jean whimpered. “As soon as he’s tired of you he’ll come to me.”

Rogue shook her head. “Wash up bitch. Playtimes about to begin and I don’t wanna get your filth on my clothes just yet.”

Watching Rogue move to sink into a chair Jean swallowed fearfully. She wouldn’t allow this little whore to destroy what she’d created. Dropping the rag back into the now bloody water Jean sat on the floor silently counting the minutes until she could break free.

The opening of the door had her glancing up to see Logan and the other man walk in. From the look on Logan’s face as he glanced at her Jean knew it wouldn’t be easy. Logan was obviously still wallowing in guilt over his failure to protect Rogue.

“Logan, please. Surely you can’t…”

“I’d shut up if I were you.” Logan moved to stand before Jean. “I’m only here to make sure Rogue and the girls don’t do something they’ll regret.”

“And your friend?” Jean whispered eying the tall, broad shouldered man who glared at her.

“The same. Scott’s kinda busy at the moment but I imagine he’ll be by shortly.”

“Where is he? What are you doing to him?” Jean gasped.

Logan chuckled and glanced at Rogue who giggled. “Well honestly at the moment he and Kitty are fucking like rabbits…on speed.”

Jean glared at the back of his head for a moment. “So you managed to turn him against me, against what Xavier’s been trying to do for so long then?”

“No. You did.” Jubilee declared entering the room. “Scott and Kitty are gonna be a while. Scott’s trying to convince Kitty that taking it easy would be a good idea.”

“Kitty not listening?”

“You know Kitster. She’s determined to have her answers.”

“You’re all insane.”

With a low snarl Jubilee grabbed Jean and lifted her. “I’m insane? I’m not the one that sold out three girls. I didn’t call in the army to attack Xavier’s mansion. I’m not the one who destroys lives.”

“What do you call what you’re doing?”

“Justice.” Jubilee snarled dropping her carelessly. “Now then you have a choice you can tell us why and we’ll try to be lenient. Or you withhold the information and we’ll make your life a miserable experience one that ultimately will kill you. Of course if you’re waiting for death to rescue you, you’ll have a long wait. Frankenstein has a deal with death…she takes a long time to come around and we try not to call upon her too much.”

Spitting at Jubilee Jean shook her head, “Then we’ll wait for death. Xavier will make sure that anything you do to me is visited back upon you.”

“Considering we have the name of your military contact and the phone number I don’t think so. See our penance will be easy. Once we walk out that door we won’t come back.” Rogue replied. “So what’s it going to be?”

“A slow death or a quick one? Hmm it makes it so hard to choose.”

“Figured you’d say that.” Jubilee replied kicking Jean’s legs out from under her.

Gasping painfully Jean struggled to get up from her position even as she felt a heavy boot come down on her back. Struggling under it she wondered who was standing on her.

“Why Jeannie? Why’d you sell ‘em out?” Logan growled softly putting a bit more weight upon her frame. “Did you really think I wouldn’t risk everything to get her back to me?”

“She’s not worth the effort. She has no meaning. None of them do. We could have had something…”

Rogue blanched and turned away before marching up and kicking Jean squarely in the face shattering her nose and several of her teeth. “You bitch! You sold us into something worse than slavery and all for a piece of ass? How dare you?” Pulling her up by her hair she backhanded her as far as the chain around her ankle would let her fly. “I spent months swimming in the insanity of my own mind because of your stupid lust. My world was down to experiments and being raped! Listening to Jubilee and Kitty screaming, seeing what they went through and all because you wanted Logan to warm your fucking bed!”

Logan stepped back quickly at the explosion of rage in Rogue. He didn’t think she even realized that she was crying as she beat on Jean’s body. Wincing with each blow he glanced at Tank even as Jubilee moved forward to grab Jean and hold her steady.

“If that’s the way you like to play the game Doc then lets see what happens when you’re the one whose swimming in agony and humiliation?” Jubilee choked out. Pulling Jean’s head back despite her weaken struggles she smiled cruelly at Rogue. “Brand her.”

Rogue nodded quickly and glanced around. “I need something.”

Jubilee pointed to the chairs. “I brought something already.”

Hurrying across the floor Rogue picked up the slim piece of iron and a small torch. Carrying them over to where Jean was struggling with Jean she lit the torch. “Let’s see how badly you want your freedom. Beg for mercy Jean. Beg for anything, even death and see just how far it gets you. You did this, you made us. You’re twisted selfishness destroyed our lives and turned us all into the pale imitations that we are. The only thing is…we’re not going to let you win. Kitty will give birth to Scott’s child and life will go on. You on the other hand...” She shook her head checking the brand carefully to see how hot it was. “You’re going to wear the mark of a traitor for the rest of your miserable little life.”

Tank glanced at Logan as Jean screamed at the searing agony of the brand coming into contact with her face. The smell of burnt flesh filled the bunker even as Rogue pulled the tool away from the other woman’s face leaving a nasty, jagged looking burn on her features.

“Rogue baby,” Logan called softly. “Don’t do something you’ll regret. Stay within in the realm of what you can live with.”

Rogue nodded and wiped at her face. Staring down at the tears on her fingers she glanced once at Jubilee as she let go of Jean and gave her a small shove forward. Smashing her fist into the other woman’s already broken face she dropped her onto the floor.

“Rot in hell bitch because that’s where you belong.”

Sobbing in agony Jean held her face even as she heard the door open again and the sound of heels on the hard floor echoed in her ears.

“Rogue? Jubilee?” Kitty’s soft voice only added to her ire and she struck out at the dark haired, soft spoken girl.

Pulling Kitty back flush against his body Scott glared at Jean. “Don’t even think it.”

“How you doing Kitty?” Logan asked.

“Came to see what’s up.”

Rogue turned and looked at her. Shaking her head she stared at the ceiling a bitter twisted look on her face. “She deserves it.”

Pulling Rogue against him Logan held her as she cried.

Kitty glanced at the broken, blood soaked woman on the floor at her feet then at Jubilee and finally at Rogue. “What did she say?”

“She got rid of us because she wanted Logan.” Jubilee declared.

“What about the mansion attack?”

“Didn’t get there as of yet.” Jubilee stated.

“Hey Doc, since I know she didn’t cut off your ears you can hear me. Why the hell the mansion? What was the point?” Kitty snapped.

Jean sobbed her hands on her face. “Fuck off!”

Glancing up at Scott Kitty raised an eyebrow.

Scott sighed and nodded before stepping back slightly. “Be careful love.”

Kitty nodded and knelt next to Jean’s shoulder. “Wrong answer. I’m not going to be as nice as Rogue was…and you are about to get a lesson in what happens to traitors!”
Chapter 50 by Shadowlady
Tapping her fingers against a thigh Kitty stared hard at Jean for a moment before she pulled a small, rectangular box out of her pocket. Opening it she stared at the contents for a moment before moving closer to Jean.

“Never fails to amaze me how foolish someone can be. You didn’t want us, didn’t need us so therefore no one else should. The only problem with that is you hardened Rogue and Jubilee gave them the strength to fight…with me.” Kitty chuckled coldly. “With me all you did is create an emotionless thing. You’ve been trying to erase us since you met Rogue for someone that wasn’t yours. You ignored me despite the fact that I was rather obvious in my attraction to Scott. What does that tell you?”

“Fuck off.”

“It tells me that you wanted what you couldn’t have. So by attacking the mansion you tried to what? Rid yourself of any and all competition for the Professor’s favor? Get rid of the competition as the favorite and therefore you’ll have the money, the power…”

“You know nothing. Just another little whore!”

Kitty nodded quickly. “That may be but at least I’m good enough that Scott’s screaming my name out when he comes. I can twist him ten ways way from Sunday and he loves it. Begs for more.”


“What is she doing?” Scott whispered at the mention of his name.

“Proving a point.” Rogue declared moving closer to Kitty.

“Logan’s the same way. He’s so deeply up Rogue’s cunt you couldn’t get a glimpse of his dick. And that bothers you. Now this will be rather painful but it’s necessary.” Grabbing Jean’s hand she held it in place on the floor with a booted foot. “For every sin you’ve committed I’m going to be generous. I’m only going to take a knuckle…until you explain to me in detail why you’d sell your own people out!”

Gasping in agony Jean watched as Kitty pulled what appeared to be a surgical tool out. Watching as Kitty clicked it together she swallowed at the bone cutting tool she’d used more than once before. She pulled desperately on her hand, hoping to dislodge it but to no avail.

She set what looked like side-cutters down over the tip of Jean’s index finger Kitty smiled at her sweetly. “Scream bitch, no one’s gonna hear you!” She drawled as she forced the blades through flesh and bone.

With a cold disregard for Jean’s screams she moved onto the next knuckle. Each click of the metal connecting drew another bit of pressure from her foot.

“Tell me why Jean? Make me understand.” Kitty whispered soothingly, pushing her red hair out of her battered face. “Make me want to help you.”

Jean shook her head decisively, frantically. “No. I’m not about to tell you anything!”

Tapping the cutter against bare skin, Kitty eyed Jean’s battered hand. Moving over the fingers she paused above the ring finger and raised an eyebrow. “You sure?”

Struggling Jean ripped her hand from under Kitty’s boot only to wind up on her back, clutching her hand to her chest. Sobbing in agony she curled around the wounds and prayed for a hit of her power. She’d make them all sorry.

“There’s no one going to help you!” Kitty said settling her weight on Jean’s body. “No one who cares what happens to you. You saw to that. For every night that we spent begging for mercy, for every ‘favor’ we did for a guard you deserve to pay. How much blood do you think is on your hands? I think the right to have a family, to have a future was ours and you destroyed that.”

“Liar.”

“Oh no Jean. I’m not lying. See they killed my womb, battered it so badly that the walls were weakened so much that I couldn’t even carry a moment. Rogue fixed me; she gave me back my future. In seven months I’ll give birth to a beautiful baby and you know what…I’m going to love him or her. I’m going to get a sick amount of pleasure at knowing that Scott’s holding his child, MY child and you are rotting in hell.”

“Kitty rest now. You shouldn’t be overdoing it.” Rogue said nodding at a chair. “Let us play some more.”

Nodding Kitty rose to her feet. Glancing down at Jean she spat on her much like the guards had done with her. “You aren’t worth tainting my soul for. You deserve to have our memories shoved into your head, deserve to live the rest of your life in a tiny little cell trying to dig out the horrors of our enslavement. I know that won’t happen but it’s what you deserve.”

Rogue gave Kitty a pat on the shoulder and walked over to where Jean lay sobbing in agony, her body covered in burns, cuts, and blood. “Tell the truth Jean and I’ll make it all go away.”

Jean writhed in agony even as she glanced at Rogue. “I should have kill you myself.”

“You still wouldn’t have had Logan. See he never intended to come back to the mansion for you. He was coming back for me and then we were going to leave together. You never had a chance.”

“He thinks you did it,” Jean giggled hysterically. “Thinks that you called in the army and he’ll never believe you didn’t. With my death he’s gonna hit you hard and he’ll kill you. I win in the end.”

“Not hardly.” Rogue snarled and kicked her once for good measure before heading for the door. “You lost a long time ago Jean, you were just too wrapped up in yourself to see it.”

The closing of the door echoed with a chilling finality and Jean lay hysterically giggling and sobbing on the floor. Every instinct within her body told her that she wouldn’t be leaving her prison of concrete.



Beast glanced at his team before he eyed the bunker that sat in the middle of nowhere. He could smell blood, fear, and the faint but elusive scent of the Frankenstein team. Whoever or whatever was here wasn’t a good thing.

“Keep low. We’re not here to fight them…” Beast ordered.

“No?” Warlok snorted. “What are we here for then?”

“To see if we can find Jean.”

“And if we do?” Warlok replied. “They deserve to die. Preferably painfully.”

Beast snarled at him before focusing on moving toward the bunker. Moving carefully he pulled open the door and stepped inside.
Chapter 51 by Shadowlady
The interior of the bunker was illuminated by a single low watt bulb that swung carelessly above the floor. The smell of blood and fear was stronger in the confines of the room and Beast moved through the shadows.

Hearing a whimper he searched the area and froze. Lying in a tangled, bloody heap was a woman he’d once know. “Jean.” He heard the others behind him but didn’t stop moving toward the figure on the ground.

“Oh my god!” Colossus stared down at Jean’s mangled body. “What happened?”

Shivering with a mixture of shock and rage Jean shook her head. As usual the X-Men were late when it came to that bunch of little whores. Flinching when Beast touched her she clutched her hand to her chest. “The collar.” She gasped painfully. “It suppresses my ‘gifts’.”

Beast nodded and searched for the opening. Seeing the key jammed into the lock he sighed. Obviously they’d left her to be found… or they’d merely stepped out of the room for a moment. Feeling a shaft of fear he glanced up searching for any indication that they were nearby.

“What?”

“They may be nearby, don’t let your guard down.”

“Thought you said they weren’t the enemy.” Warlok snorted.

Beast glanced at him coldly. “I’m not willing to die because of your actions.”

“Whatever.” Warlok glanced around him. He could beat them all and he knew it.

“Well, well, well.” The slow, sultry tone had everyone whirling to face the figure in the doorway.

“Rogue…” Beast rose to his feet. “We don’t want trouble.”

Sauntering across the floor she smiled sweetly, looking for a moment like the young woman they’d all known before. “Trouble? Who said anything about trouble?”

“We’ve come for Jean that’s all.” Storm said uneasily.

“Take her. When she sells you out again don’t expect us to help you out.”

“You’re insane. You think for five minutes that you could swallow you pride?” Colossus ground out.

Rogue chuckled and trailed a hand across the backs of the chairs still lined up. “Insanity has its perks.”

“Rogue please, all we want is to get Jean home. She needs medical help.”

“I told you. Take her. Treat her wounds, but you can’t treat her soul.”

“Jean wouldn’t betray us Rogue; you’re so twisted within your need for violence….”

“My need for violence.” Rogue hissed all charm vanishing like a puff of smoke as she grabbed a hold of Warlok’s throat and lifted him off his feet. “Let’s talk about violence Warlok. Let’s talk about you tying someone up and raping them? Did you tell ‘em about that? Did you tell your friends what you did? How you and Iceman used Fury’s need to protect those kids against her and set her up? How you tied her to a bed and raped her?”

“Fuck off!”

“Rogue please. Whatever his crimes he deserves to face a jury of his peers.” Colossus said inching toward her.

“Whatever.” Rogue snarled throwing him across the room to lie in a tangled heap on the floor. “You really want to challenge me Colossus?” Rogue asked. “I make Logan look like a choirboy.”

“That has nothing to do with this.”

Kicking a chair back Rogue watched it sail across the floor, a broken, jagged leg laying on her foot. With a careful kick it was in her hand and she stood weighing it, assessing it’s potential.

“Where’s the others Rogue? You don’t travel alone.” Beast asked as Storm inched toward him.

“Around.” Rogue giggled sickeningly. “Hey Jean you still alive?”

A low pained moan was the only response.

“Guess that means yes. The key that’s in that lock will open the collar but she won’t be getting her powers back just yet. See I have plans of my own and they don’t include allowing a telepath like her to manipulate and kill without a conscience. You wanted a war, you got one.”

“We aren’t at war with you.” Storm pleaded. “All we want…”

“Is to save Jean from a fate worse than death! Yes I know. You told me. See that’s just it. I don’t think she deserves to be free of her crimes.”

“What do youmean?” Colossus said shifting so Rogue’s attention was on him as Warlok climbed painfully to his feet.

“It’s rather simple…” Rogue paused at a pained groan from behind her. Turning slightly she smirked as Warlok dangled a few inches off the ground, a massive hand around his neck. “I’m not prepared to declare her sentence served. You may forgive, but I don’t. I live with the memories and I don’t want to let her forget that. So you go home and you tell Charles Xavier that if he wants to keep his little organization intact he’d better not step on our toes.”

“And if he does?” Colossus asked glancing at Warlok and the stranger.

“Tank?” Rogue called. “Where’s Fury?”

“Looking over you.” Tank replied glancing upwards. Rogue glanced up at Jubilee who seemed to lounge in the rafters of the bunker. A moment later she was climbing down a familiar look of rage in her gaze.

“Take Jean and go. Stay and you’re gonna have to fight.”

Beast collected Jean as carefully as he could and eyed Rogue. “Do you think that this will help things?”

“That stays.” Rogue nodded at Warlok who was turning a rather interesting shade of purple. “We’re not about play with you anymore. You hurt us…we hurt back.”

Pushing against Colossus shoulder Storm kept one eye on Rogue. It didn’t take a genius to see the rage that bubbled just beneath the surface. “Move it.” She hissed at Colossus.

Taking three steps toward the door they froze at the sudden appearance of Scott. Swallowing uneasily Colossus froze, ignoring the pressure of Storm as she bumped into him.

“We’ve got company.” Scott said glancing at Rogue. “Creed Inc. said they’d hold ‘em off as much as possible but…”

“Who?”

“Military. Logan thinks they’re here for us.”

Rogue nodded slowly and glanced at the X-Men. “That leaves me begging the question of who betrayed us.”

“Could be that Jean was due to meet with them.” Scott suggested. “Either way we have to make a choice. Stand and fight or…”

Rogue glanced at Jubilee who smirked. “Bring the X-Men.”

“What about this piece of garbage?” Tank ground out shaking Warlok none too gently.

“We’ll dispose of him later.” Rogue declared easily. “Right now we have to get Kitty to safety.”

With a quick nod the others grabbed the nearest X-Man and hurried them out the door.

“Don’t make me regret helping you out, or I’ll take a great deal of pleasure in killing you.” Rogue ground out as she glared at the assembled team. Rushing them toward through the dark she stopped next to the Blackbird.

“You still remember how to fly this sucker?” Rogue asked.

“Yes.”

“Well then get on board.” Logan snarled just as a loud, fiece explosion ripped the night apart. “We haven’t a lot of time.”

“What about Creed Inc.?”

“Who do you think set the charges? Said they’d be okay and to get the hell out of here.”

With a nod Rogue hustled their prisoners into the commandeered jet. Grinning as she saw Kitty sitting in the co-pilot seat she moved into position and buckled her seat belt. “You uh liking that position?”

“Always wanted to join the mile high club.” Kitty giggled. “Now I get to.”

Shaking their heads the rest of the team fell silent as Scott fired the engines and took off. A glance out the window revealed flames reaching across the ground, devouring everything in their path.

Exchnaging a glance Storm sighed. What would they do with them now? She didn’t think they’d let them go…Frankenstein and the X-Men were at war…weren’t they?
Chapter 52 by Shadowlady
Storm sat on the hard floor of a spotless room. Her gaze darted to Beast who was busy trying to keep Jean stable even as the other woman struggled with her obvious dislike of the man.

“Why don’t you take a break Hank?” Storm asked softly. “It’s not like they’re gonna let her die.”

“She needs to be constantly…”

“Perhaps but she doesn’t want you to do it.” Storm sighed and turned her head to where Colossus was sitting reading a thick novel. “Tell me you didn’t bring that with you.”

“No it was up there.” Colossus pointed without glancing up.

Looking up Storm smirked. “Well I’ll be. Remind me next time I’m a POW to be here.”

Jean’s soft pained snort had Beast glancing down at her. “Is it off yet?” Jean croaked.

“Yes.” Beast held up the collar and eyed her. “But I don’t recommend you trying anything. We’re likely to get separated…”

“Who cares?” Jean muttered softly. “I don’t need you.”

Beast glared at her for a moment before moving off to settle next to Storm. “You going to get lost in a book?”

“You got a better idea?” Storm asked. “Warlok’s out there alone and we can’t help him. If we try who knows what they’ll do.”

“Probably nothing.” Beast said as the door opened and Jubilee walked in. Her hair was wet and she wore a loose fitting blouse, jeans, and slippers. “Jubilee!”

“Don’t get your heart rates up.” Jubilee declared. “Feeding time.”

“Don’t you mean supper time?”

“Supper is reserved for us…feeding time is for the animals around here.”

Colossus stood shifting until he stood a few inches from the door. If he could get out, or keep her in here maybe they could…

“I wouldn’t stand there if I were you.” Jubilee glanced at him and smiled. “I’m not alone and if I think for a moment that I need help Tank’ll be in here faster than you can say Jean Grey’s gonna die. He isn’t nearly as understanding as I am right now.”

“Where’s Kitty and Rogue?” Beast asked.

“Why you think they’ll be more considerate of your needs?” Jubilee asked unlocking the dumbwaiter and pulling out a short, trolley with several covered plates on it.

“No. I wanted to discuss something with all of you.”

Jubilee paused and glanced at him. “We have no mercy for those who had none for us.”

“But we aren’t the enemy.”

“Whatever.” Pushing the trolley back into the dumbwaiter she sent it up again and locked the door. Turning she walked toward the door only to stop when Colossus stepped in her path. “Move tin-man or I’ll move you.”

“Why Jean?” Storm asked softly. “I mean I understand Warlok…I can even accept his punishment, but Jean? It doesn’t make sense.”

“It makes perfect sense. She sold us out.”

“How?”

With a dark look Jubilee looked at the X-Men then at Jean who had struggled into a sitting position. The look of victory on the red-head’s face drew upon her anger but she ruthlessly pushed it aside.

“I think she should explain it. After all she has a lot to explain.”

“No one will believe your lies.” Jean ground out painfully.

Jubilee shrugged. “No? Scott does. Captain Frank Burrows does.”

Jean paled at Jubilee’s statement. “Just goes to show that you’re in contact…”

“Captain Burrows was quite interested in the information we had. So interested in fact that he begged us to release you. Begged us to show some mercy for you. So why don’t you try to explain to these fine people exactly what it was that you wanted to do with us out of the way.”

“You’re not worth the effort.”

“You think you are?”

“I know I am.”

With a snicker Jubilee shrugged. “Right or wrong you brought this on yourself. You’re the one with the lover on the other side not me. My lover knows which side he’s fighting for.”

Stepping around Colossus Jubilee opened the door and paused. “I would rather spend the rest of my life as an enemy of Xavier’s than fall for the load of shit you peddle. At least I know I’m not going to be betrayed because someone gets jealous.”


Beast stared at Jean for a moment. “What’s she talking about?”

“Who knows? She’s delusional.”

“I don’t think so.” Storm stated. “I think she’s telling the truth. I think you know more than you’re saying. If I were you I’d start talking.”

“Don’t you see what she’s trying to do? She’s trying to separate us. Divide and conquer.”

Storm shook her head. “No. This is something much more personal for you. What did you do Jean?”

Staring at Storm Jean felt a chill go through her. “What I had to.” She said.

“What was that?” Beast growled anger rising within him. Just what had Jean done that had resulted in their captivity? What had the other doctor done that would result in the current circumstances?

Jean shook her head. Every part of her body ached. Her hand was numb…a side effect of having an amputation. Her face burnt, her arm burnt, and her head pounded steadily. All she wanted was to curl up and sleep for a bit. Sleep and perhaps later things would have blown over so she didn’t have to deal with the situation…and the knowledge of just how badly she’d allowed things to get messed up.

“I’m tired.” Jean whispered sinking back onto the bed she’d been resting on. “Tired of all of this.”

“Who isn’t?” Storm snapped. “What the hell is going on Jean?”

Jean sighed and closed her eyes. “You wouldn’t understand. I had to do it.” She whispered allowing sleep to claim her. The darkness of sleep would save her from their questions, and the rising anger that filled the room.
Chapter 53 by Shadowlady
Kitty settled next to Rogue on the front porch and watched the rising sun. “How you doing?”

Rogue shrugged. She didn’t know how she was doing. Didn’t know anything anymore. She felt empty, dead inside – like what had kept her alive, was no longer there.

“It’s kinda hollow isn’t it?” Kitty whispered handing her a cup of coffee. “I used to think that once we had our revenge, our justice that we could step back and feel okay. Feel like we used to but now…”

“How’s she doing?”

“She’s alive. She’ll survive this Rogue, we know that. Xavier might have a problem with things but Jean’ll live.”

“I’ve always known that she didn’t trust me but to want to get rid of me because she wanted a crack at Logan? Why? What made her think Logan would want her that badly. Doesn’t she understand that Logan’s a free spirit? No one and I mean no one is ever going to chain him down. Not even me.”

“She never wanted to tame him Rogue. She wanted him because he was good looking, because he was powerful, because he isn’t what she had.”

Shaking her head Rogue rose to lean against the railing. “Makes me think is all. Makes it harder to swallow.”

“What do you mean?” Kitty asked with a frown.

“I’ve always felt guilty about what happened. Felt like it was my fault…and I was right.” Rogue whispered sadly. “Because of me you and Jubilee went through hell on a daily basis.”

Kitty shook her head firmly and rose to hold Rogue. “No you didn’t. Don’t let her win Rogue; don’t let what she did stain your life. We’re not perfect but we’re human. We all make mistakes, let other people’s actions color our worlds, influence our decisions but you know that’s on them. You didn’t put us in that lab; you did what you were told to do. You reacted like any other person would and I want you to know that I don’t blame you. Jubilee doesn’t blame you. None of our guys do.”

“But I do.”

Kitty sighed and stared down at her feet. “We all could have done things differently Rogue. I could have told the Professor about Bobby back when we were in high school. Logan could have stayed at the mansion instead of going to look for his past. Scott could have acted on our attraction a long time ago, Jubilee well I don’t know what Jubilee could’ve done much different. She’s happy now. She’s got a man who loves her totally, the prospect of a family of her own, training, skills she didn’t have before…”

“And a shit load of nightmares and scars that nobody should ever have to have.”

“So you pity her, pity me?” Kitty stepped back shocked.

Rogue shook her head and looked at Kitty. “No. No I don’t pity you. I respect you, I’m amazed by you but pity isn’t in there.”

“Then what’s going on with you?”

Rogue sighed sadly. “I don’t know. My emotions are all over the place lately. I’m either extremely angry or on the verge of tears. My sex life is fantastic but it’s not satisfying. Poor Logan’s going to die from the amount of sex I want!”

“Rogue that’s normal. Everyone goes through phases in their life.”

“My mutations are off to.”

“Off?” Kitty gaped at her.

Rogue nodded. “I found out last night by accident that I can touch Logan. Got up this morning and nearly killed the plant on our dresser when I brushed against it. I feel like I’m in a stranger’s body and the only person who knows how to make me feel like me is Logan!”

Kitty smiled softly, “Why don’t you go ask Tank? He might have an answer for you.”

“Because what if it’s just my imagination? What if I’m losing my mind?”

“You’ll never know unless you ask. Now I’m going to go feed out ‘guests’. Come on I’ll walk with you to see Tank, I think he’s in his office. Reviewing the security tapes or something.”

“Probably trying to find out if the cameras caught him and Jubilee last night in the barn.”

“In the barn?”

“Yep. For hours.”

“No wonder she’s still asleep. He wore her out!” Kitty giggled as they walked along the corridor. “Rogue, I just wanted to say thank you.”

“For what?”

Kitty looked at the wall for a moment before shifting her gaze back to Rogue. “For seeing I needed more than what I had. For knowing that I needed to see that I was a sexual person.”

“Kitty, everyone’s a sexual person. It’s just your concept of sex got warped. For you it had always been violent, tainted by the perversions of others. I didn’t show you that it wasn’t…Scott did that.”

“Yes he does but you understood that about me. You saw beneath the veneer I had.”

“What are friends for?” Rogue asked. “Now go feed our guests. I’m gonna talk to Tank.”
Chapter 54 by Shadowlady
Stepping into the holding cell Kitty rolled her eyes. Storm lay against Hank who was currently snoring. Colossus was curled up on the only item that could pass for a pillow obviously sound asleep. Only Jean seemed to be awake.

Catching the red-head’s gaze Kitty sneered at her. “Morning.”

“Came to poison us huh?” Jean grumbled.

Kitty merely shook her head and moved across the room to the dumbwaiter. Opening it she pulled out the trolley and locked it into place.

“Where’s Warlok?” Jean demanded.

“Somewhere far away from here.” Kitty replied seriously. “He’s awaiting trial.”

“For what?”

Kitty glanced at Jean even as the others began to stir and sit up. “Why ask me? You already know the answer to that one.”

“Mmm food.” Storm eyed the plates appreciatively. “You aren’t going to try and kill us with food are you? Cause if so I’m first in line for breakfast.”

Kitty chuckled. “No Storm. It’s actually pretty good. Logan’s an amazing cook when he wants to be.”

“Logan made this?” Storm demanded spooning another mouthful of omelet into her mouth.

“Logan makes a lot of things.” Kitty replied before putting away the trolley and closing up the elevator. After securing the lock she turned and walked toward the door only to pause as Colossus stepped into her path. “Do you just like doors or something?”

“We just want to ask a couple of questions.”

“And you think blocking the doorway is going to what influence me to answer you?”

“Considering that he could kill you I’d say yes.” Jean muttered ignoring the dark looks sent her way.

“But he won’t. He lays one hand on me he’s got to deal with Scott.”

“When are you going to get it through your head Scott doesn’t want you? Why would he when he could have…”

“You?” Kitty laughed at her and poked Jean in the chest ignoring the pained hiss from the older woman. “I believe we discussed this. Remember right around the time you uh lost a finger and a half.”

Jean paled before going red in the face and lunging for Kitty who merely phased out letting Jean hit the floor hard.

“Did you tell ‘em? Did you fill them in on what you’ve done yet Jean? Do they realize that it’s been you that’s brought hell down upon them, upon all of us? Excuse me but I have work to do and you aren’t part of that.”

“You aren’t even pregnant.” Jean taunted. “How could you possibly be pregnant? They worked you over good…”

Kitty smirked. “I don’t know. I count my blessings though…and so does Scott when he’s screaming my name out while he comes.”

Jean glared at her hard. “This isn’t over.”

“Yes it is.” Kitty replied and walked through Colossus toward the door. “Because you aren’t half the woman you think you are.”

“You have no idea what its like do you little girl? You think you’ve got him firmly…just wait until the next thing comes along.”

“I hate to break it to you Jean,” Kitty paused. “But if he wanted to stray he’s got plenty of opportunities to do it. There are a few girls here, some younger than I am.”

Jean glared at the girl even as she stepped through the door. Sitting on the floor Jean tried to think of someway of getting rid of any and all competition. She had to…

“So you gonna fill us in?” Storm asked harshly. “You actually gonna break down and tell us what you did?”

“I didn’t do anything wrong!” Jean snapped.

“No. Of course you didn’t. You just have several young women wanting to mutilate you. You’ve got a big ‘T’ branded on your face, missing several fingers…and it’s all because they’re jealous of your good looks!” Storm raged.

“Oh shut up!” Jean moved back against the wall. She was developing a headache and wanted quiet.

“You don’t get what you want Jean. You owe us that much! You seem to know why three of the brightest students we ever had are now out to kill us!” Storm ground out.

“Easy.” Hank rested a hand on her arm. “We need to keep our heads.”

“Yeah ‘Ro listen to the furball.” Jean muttered under her breath. “Don’t know why Charles thought we needed another doctor on the payroll.”

Hank growled at her but remained where he was. “I believe Ororo has a point. You owe us an explanation.”

“You owe us an explanation.” Jean mocked. “Of what? I don’t owe you a thing. I’m not one of your pupils Dr. McCoy for you to order about. I was doing quite well before you showed up…”

“Regardless, you owe us an explanation or we’ll give you back to Frankenstein and let her rip you apart.”

Jean gaped at Hank’s threat. Surely the man wouldn’t do that…would he?”

“What’s going on Dr. Grey?” Colossus asked. “We’re involved in this and we have a right to know.”

“So you want to know what’s going on huh?” Jean snickered. “Fine I’ll tell you. It’s not like you have any relevance in this.”

Ignoring their shared dark looks Jean shifted, getting comfortable. “I’m securing our futures.”

“Our futures?”

“Sure? Sounds good doesn’t it? Do you have any idea what’s going to happen? Rogue’s a Level Six mutant. With her powers she can kill anyone or anything but she doesn’t use it. Too much a goody goody I guess.”

“Rogue’s mutation doesn’t work that way. She absorbs the person’s entirety not just their gifts.”

“Whatever. The point is she showed up. Granted Logan came with her but still why risk the welfare of everyone around her to save her hide? The world would be a better place without Rogue in it. Or have you forgotten what she did to me?”

“I remember what she did to me.” Storm replied coldly. “You mean to tell me that you’re jealous of Rogue?”

Jean sighed and leaned her head back. “What’s the point of this? Oh yes right. I knew what would happen on that mission and I knew we needed to send someone disposable. Someone who wouldn’t be missed…”

“Logan missed her.”

“Yes that’s just because she’s got him confused. When his mind clears he’ll figure out where and with whom he belongs.”

“You mean you don’t you?” Storm asked softly.

“Of course. Who else is he going to be with…you?” Jean shook her head. “I never thought for a moment that she’d survive. They promised me that she wouldn’t… but I guess she was just too much entertainment to pass up on.”

“Who told you…?”

Jean shrugged, “A contact I made…”

“That Captain? The one that was so desperate to get you out of here.” Colossus rose to his feet. “You’ve been sleeping with the enemy.”

“Oh Colossus you’re young, and foolish. The army isn’t the enemy at this point. It’s that bunch that’s got us locked up. Treating us like animals. I mean how is anyone supposed to eat with a spoon!”

“Why Jean? Why would you betray us like that? I thought we were friends? Family?”

“Because you’re in the bloody way!” Jean snarled. “If I have to listen to one more ‘save a mutant’ speech from any of you I’m going to puke. Magneto doesn’t even get it. It’s not mutants against humanity…it’s the strongest survive. You don’t kill the humans to get what you want. You use them. Twist them into knots and make them do what you want. With you freaks out of the way I’ll be the only one left. He’s going to have to trust me, listen to me. Together we can…”

“We? Who are you talking about? Magneto?”

“Charles moron,” Jean snickered. “We’re very much alike. Telepaths, so much more powerful, more in control than the rest of you.”

“I’m going to be sick.” Storm swallowed harshly. “I can’t believe that you’re planning on destroying all of mutant kind just so you and Charles can what? Be together. Get married and rule the world?”

“Married?” Jean shook her head. “No, I have no intention of marrying. Together we could effectively control everything around us. We’d have everything.”

“And Scott? Logan?”

“Toys. Nothing more, nothing less. To be used until I’m bored of them.”

Storm stared at the woman she’d known forever. “I don’t even know you. You aren’t the woman I knew…”

“Oh Storm, you have no idea who or what I am. You never did.”

Hearing the door opened everyone turned to face it. When the doorway was filled with the now familiar form that rivaled Colossus for size they exchanged looks.

“Having fun kids?” The man asked.

“Look I know we’re the enemy and all but couldn’t we have another cell?” Storm asked. “One away from her? If I have to listen to her delusional speech for another moment I’m going to scream…or kill her.”

“You’ll have to see if the boss is agreeable.” He drawled and glanced over his shoulder. “Boss?”

“Sure. Separate them. Jean can go into Cell D.”

“Uh that ain’t hardly big enough for a grown woman.”

“So?” Rogue stepped into view. “It’s shielded from telepathy, and it’s perfect for that bitch. Now then if you’d like to move her Tank, I’ll watch the other kiddies.”

Spitting and protesting Jean was hustled from the room and down the hall leaving Rogue standing in the doorway looking at the other three.

“Where’s Warlok Rogue?” Storm asked.

“Awaiting trial.”

“And us? What’s going to happen to us? You gonna turn us over to the army? The police?”

Rogue shook her head. “No. I’m going to do the one thing you’ll never guess. Have a nice day.”

The click of the lock sliding into place sent a chill down their spines as they were left standing in their cozy cell. What in the world had she meant?
Chapter 55 by Shadowlady
Stepping into the kitchen Jubilee saw Rogue leaning against the counter. Rogue’s body was bent over the counter, her face a mask of agony.

“Rogue! God are you okay?”

Rogue nodded quickly. “Of course.”

“So why do you look like you’re in agony?”

Rogue shrugged and stood up. “Because I am. Every bone in my body aches…something to do with my hormones before my period.”

“How long has this been happening?”

“Last two months. I went to talk to Tank this morning and he said he was going to run some tests. The results’ll be in tomorrow.”

“Why don’t you go lay down?”

“I have too much to do.” Rogue replied softly. “I don’t know what to do with our ‘guests’. If we let them go we’ll be fighting them another day…”

“If we keep them we lose everything we’ve won.” Jubilee pointed out. “Besides it’s not like Jean’s going anywhere. And Warlok is facing a tribunal for what happened.”

Rogue nodded slowly. Turning to Jubilee she bit her lip, “Can we do this?”

“This?”

“Can we finish it? Can we live with whatever happens from here on out?”

Jubilee shrugged and settled into a chair. “What’s really on your mind Rogue? And tell the truth because you deserve it.”

“Logan’s been here a long time. So much longer than he’s ever stayed anywhere before. I’m just wondering what’s going to happen when this is over. When Xavier finally says ‘I was wrong’ what then? Do I find myself alone? Can I live without the one constant in my life?”

“What makes you think Logan’s gonna run?”

Rogue slid something across the table and stepped back.

Jubilee stared down at the small white length of plastic on the table. Glancing up sharply she stared at Rogue, “This is Kitty’s?”

Rogue shook her head slowly.

“Damn girl. How long did…?”

“I didn’t. If I had I’d have waited for this to come to a head. I’d have reacted differently. Now I have to tell Logan and deal with that bunch downstairs.”

“I think you need to talk to Logan. Leave them to those of us who don’t have an important conversation brewing.”

With a shift of her weight Rogue headed for the door. She paused in it for a moment before turning to look at Jubilee, “I don’t feel guilty for what I did to her. I won’t feel guilty.”

Jubilee stared at her for a moment. “Good. She hasn’t earned the right to have you feel guilty. Leave them to me and Tank. We’ll figure out what to do with them. Just deal with you and Logan’s issues now.”

Staring at the stick on the table Jubilee sighed. Things were about to get even more harried, and there was nothing but good things to come.



“Logan?” Rogue stepped into the den where Logan, Scott, and Kitty were sitting watching television. “You got a minute?”

“Sure baby,” Logan glanced up at her. “What’s on your mind?”

“I need to talk to you. Privately.”

Exchanging looks Scott and Kitty rose. “We’re gonna go grab something to eat.”

“What’s wrong?” Logan asked as soon as the door was closed.

“I uh I guess you’ve noticed I’ve been a bit off lately.”

“And then some.” Logan chuckled. “But that’s okay. I still love you.”

Rogue smiled and moved to sit next to him. Picking at a nail she glanced at him uneasily. This was harder than fighting Xavier for their identities. Harder than anything she’d ever done and she wondered if she could survive losing it all.

“What’s on your mind Marie?” Logan asked. “You’ve been acting funny for a while now…”

“Everything is off.” Rogue whispered softly. “My whole body is off. My mutation is screwy, I accidently touched you this morning when I got up and nothing. No pull, no tingle nothing and yet when I brushed against the plant in the window I felt it.”

“So? Just means you’ve been stressed out lately. Or don’t you want to touch me…?”

“Yes! Yes I want to touch you without a barrier Logan. It’s just that well…” Rogue rose sharply and began pacing. “Look I didn’t plan this but I’m pregnant. Don’t ask how it happened because we both know we’ve been using condoms every bloody time. I took a home test and it came back positive, I asked Tank to run some tests and he agreed but I already know. I can’t do this by myself. I need you in my life Logan I can’t give you up…”

“Slow down baby.” Logan rose and caught her arms in his hands. “We’ll make this work. Now tell me slowly, calmly what’s the problem? So you’re pregnant…I’m elated by that. Means we’re going to have another addition to the family. You and Kitty can both suffer the symptoms together and I can actually understand Scott’s exhausted state.”

“But what about us! You’ve stayed so long Logan, a baby changes everything.”

“Not for me. I’m always gonna be there for you. And once we get rid of those geeks downstairs we’re gonna be back to normal. We’re gonna take care of our kids, help out who and when we can and live our lives. No more worrying about why things happened. It’s just gonna be us.”

Rogue smiled shakily. “I like that plan. But what do we do about Xavier’s people?”

“Leave that to me and the rest of the team. You’ve carried us all for a long time Marie. Let us carry you for a while.”

Rogue nodded. “For a while.”

“Now I’m starving so how about some lunch and then we’ll have a long afternoon nap.” Logan suggested.

Laughing softly Rogue followed his example and turned away from the conversation about the X-Men. She’d let them deal with this problem…at least for now.



“Rogue sleeping?” Scott asked as he stood next to Logan on the front deck. Glancing at the other man he noted the beer held loosely in a hand, a dark, pensive look on his face. “What’s on your mind Logan?”

“We have to get rid of them. We need to give our girls a chance to enjoy their pregnancies instead of worrying about what someone’s going to do. Rogue’s terrified that as long as they’re here she and the baby are at risk.”

“Seems to me that’s not all she’s worried about.”

“No. She doubted her ability to keep me here. Figured with the pregnancy it would drive me away!”

“And is it?”

“Do you see my ass on the back of the bike?” Logan demanded.

“No. I don’t, not now not after the baby’s born.”

“So we need to figure out what we’re going to do without guests and how we’re going to get on with our lives. I won’t allow Xavier to have anymore of the girls than he’s already stolen.”

Scott nodded. “Tank suggested a meeting later. After both our girls are in bed and sound asleep. He’s got a way of fixing things so that we’re free of this…and the girls will have their peace of mind!

“Good.” Logan drained his bottle of beer. “You want another?”

“Sure.” Scott chuckled when Logan handed him an unopened bottle of beer. Staring out over the yard he let the night sounds play across his mind. He wanted this to be over as much as the girls didm as Logan did...maybe more.
Chapter 56 by Shadowlady
The quiet of late night filled the kitchen even as a lone light flicked on. The rasp of breathing broke the stillness and Logan glanced up to see the rest of the team.

“Hey.”

“I know we’re late. Had to let Rogue and Kitty get to sleep.” Scott explained sitting down quickly.

Logan nodded quickly and reached for another beer. “Any ideas?”

“On what?” Jubilee asked.

“With both Kitty and Rogue pregnant I’m not willing to risk a confrontation with the X-Men.” Logan said. “I won’t risk the lives of those two or their babies because of Xavier.”

Jubilee sighed and picked at the table. “Rogue won’t like this. Us talkin’ about this behind her back.”

“Rogue’s got enough on her mind right now.” Logan shot back. “She feels like she’s out of control. Her mutation is acting up, what she couldn’t touch before she can now without worry. She killed the houseplant she’s been nursing for weeks by accident. Let’s not add to her stress shall we.”

“Agreed.”

“So what do we do? How do we end this?”

“Send ‘em back to New York and forget the entire band of geeks.” Jubilee grumbled.

“What’s that going to do? They’ll still be out there. We’ll still have to deal with them.”

“How much would Charles be willing to give to get his team back?” Tank asked. “Would he be willing to forget us? Would he give up this incessant need to meddle, to interfere?”

“Perhaps.” Logan shifted in his chair. “But if we give his team back we lose any leverage we have.”

“What about the team?” Scott demanded. “What would they be willing to do to survive? They’ve all seen what the girls are capable, are willing to do. They’ve experienced our full force against them and they lost.”

“I don’t know. It would be worth a shot that’s for sure.” Tank muttered. “Make them choose…their vendetta or their freedom.”

“Storm would be sympathetic to us.” Jubilee said. “She’d be willing to listen at least the others I’m not sure of.”

“Jean isn’t included.” Logan ground out. “For what she did the bitch deserves to die.”

“Logan we can’t just kill her.” Jubilee declared. “Not when we went to all the trouble of torturing her so she’d remember…”

“That’s it.” Scott leaned forward. “Charles would do anything to regain control of his team, Jean in particular. We bargain with him…their lives, her life for our solitude.”

“So how do we get a hold of him to let him know what’s going on?” Jubilee asked. “He’s not exactly going to take a call from us.”

Scott grinned. “No? We’ll send a messenger someone totally unrelated to the situation. UPS sound good?”

Chuckling Logan leaned back in his chair. “I’ll talk to the rest of his team. See what they think. If they’re willing to bend a bit then perhaps this might work.”

“Okay. You want me to come with?” Jubilee demanded. “I’m interested in hearing what they think of the situation.”

Logan shrugged. “No time like the present I guess. Come on Jubilee. Scott see if you can get a hold of someone to deliver a message. Tank you have any suggestions?”

“Yeah. Don’t keep my girl down there too long.” Tank winked at Jubilee. “Three for three is better than two for three.”

Flushing slightly Jubilee nodded and followed Logan down to the basement.



Hearing the door opening Hank sat up sharply, nudging Storm awake. “Piotr wake up we’ve got company.”

“So what’s happening I wonder?” Piotr muttered stretching.

“Did we wake you?” Logan demanded closing the door easily.

“What’s going on Logan? Why the disturbance?”

Logan grinned and glanced at Jubilee who walked over to lean against the wall. “We’ve got a suggestion for you.”

Exchanging looks the trio waited uneasily for Logan to finish the thought. “What kind of suggestion?” Storm asked softly.

“You wanna go home?” Jubilee asked.

“Of course we do.”

“Good. Then you won’t mind giving up something to ensure that you stay as far away from us as possible.”

“What?” Storm demanded. “We don’t have anything.”

“Yes you do.” Jubilee walked over and knelt in front of her. “See as long as you’re alive, as long as you insist upon fighting us we can’t have peace. We want to be left alone. We have families, plans and they don’t include you.”

“So what do you want us to do?” Storm asked softly, trying to keep her fear at a minimum.

“Forget you ever knew us or what happened to Iceman and Red will carry over to you. We won’t be so nice next time.”

Storm glanced at Hank and Piotr who were staring at Jubilee and Logan with barely leashed hostility. “You gonna leave us alone?”

Jubilee laughed and rose to her feet. “You don’t really have any grounds to argue Storm. See it’s either that or we ask Rogue what to do with you. She won’t be so lenient. Think about it.”

“What are we going to do?” Storm asked.

“Whatever we’re told to do.” Hank replied. “We know they can kill us at any time. We’re not help to anyone stuck in this stupid cell.”

“Will they hold up their end of the bargain?” Piotr asked.

Storm sighed and stared at her hands. “I think so. After all what do they have to lose?”

Piotr and Hank looked at each other. Frankenstein had nothing to lose by killing them…and they weren’t willing to die because Jean had suddenly developed a thirst for power.
Chapter 57 by Shadowlady
Charles glanced up at the sound of a knock on his door. Wheeling over to it he opened the door and smiled at one of the senior students.

“Yes Amy?”

“This came for you sir.” She held out an envelope with a smile.

Taking it he barely realized she’d darted off to join her friends. Instead he backed into his office and opened the envelope.

Charles:

If you want peace. If you want your team back, or rather what’s left of it all you have to do is remain by your phone for the next forty-eight hours. We’ll be in touch with you. If not…Frankenstein will be glad to forward their remains to you much like they did with Iceman. F


Tossing the letter back onto his desk Charles moved to the window and stared out. There had been so much conflict, so many lives destroyed by the actions of an unknown entity. He still had no idea who’d told of the mutants at the mansion. Or why the girls had been so easily picked out. But he was beginning to have his doubts, doubts that haunted him.

Was he willing to do whatever it took to get his team back? Were they still alive? Could he live with the nightmare that his blind devotion to a cause had created? He didn’t know, and he wasn’t too sure he could handle finding out.

Tenting his fingers he sighed. Forty-eight hours didn’t seem like a longtime but he couldn’t sit around and do nothing. Resolved to come to some conclusion he moved silently toward Cerebro. He would find his team, he would find Logan, Scott, and the girls and he would have answers.



Rogue sighed as she devoured another cookie. Logan had been insistent about her not having anything to do with the X-Men. Claimed it was bad karma for the baby but she knew why.

She smiled, he was trying to protect her even now. Protect what they’d built and prove that he loved her enough to try. She knew he wouldn’t always be so easily placated. That there would come a day when he would need to run and she would be there to run with him. They would have when men like Magneto, like Charles, like Stryker wanted to keep from them.

Hearing the sound of a knock at the door she hurried out of the kitchen and headed for the front door. She didn’t want the baby to be awakened unnecessarily.

Opening the front door she paled considerably before her training and her anger clicked into place. “What the fuck do you want old man?”

“I’ve come to talk.” Charles replied seeing the rage in Rogue’s eyes.

“Really? What makes you think I want to talk to you?”

“Rogue I’m not the enemy…”

Rogue laughed a harsh, cold sound. “You sure as hell aren’t a friend. So how’d you get here? Obviously you used Cerebro to find us.”

“I found Jean and came here to see how she’s doing.”

“Hopefully she’s swimming in the hell that’s her own mind. Maybe she’s realizing what she did, what she’s still doing. I don’t really care anymore.”

“Rogue please. All I want…”

“What you want?” Rogue hissed. “Let me tell you what I want Professor. I want to be able to sleep at night without waking up smelling semen and blood and urine. I want to stand under the shower and not feel the sting of somebody ejaculating on my skin. I want to be able to hear the wind instead of my best friends’ screams in the darkness. I want to look at my hands and not see the scars that were there. I want to forget that I’ve got adamantium in my body. I want to have some peace and quiet. I don’t want to remember what she did to us. And I sure as hell don’t want to remember you.”

“I could make the memories go away.”

“No you can’t. Because you haven’t made them disappear in your own head. You still have them…if you didn’t you wouldn’t be sitting there trembling so badly you’re nearly shitting your pants.”

“Miss Rogue?” The soft query drew Rogue’s attention to the young girl standing there holding a glass of juice.

“Yes Lily.”

“Uh can I go for a ride?”

“Sure. Take the bay mare Missy. She’s safest and you haven’t learned how to ride a more spirited animal yet. Better yet see if one of the kids will go with you.”

“Okay.”

“Is Logan or Scott out there somewhere?”

“Mr. Summers is.”

“Could you ask him to come here?” Rogue whispered softly knowing the girl would hear her.

Lily nodded and all but ran from the silent man sitting on the door step. Tearing across the yard she stumbled into the barn.

“Lily what have I told you…” Scott admonished before noticing the scared look on the girl’s face. “What’s wrong?”

“There’s some guy at the house. Miss Rogue’s scared of him.”

“What’s he look like?”

“He’s in a wheelchair, and he’s bald.” Lily panted.

Smacking the small black button on the wall Scott patted her on the shoulder. “Remember to come into the barn a lot slower.” He called as he raced for the house. If Charles was here then that meant that there was serious trouble on the horizon.


“I don’t care what you say!” Rogue’s voice held anger and a touch of fear as Scott slammed in the backdoor. “Now get out of here.”

“Rogue! You okay?” Scott approached the young woman carefully. He knew if pushed to hard too far she often reverted to the violence and rage she felt.

“Yeah.” Rogue sucked in a deep breath and sneered at Charles. “Seems Wheels here wanted to come and talk.”

“Couldn’t follow instructions?” Scott asked coldly.

“I believe in dealing with an issue such as this in person.” Charles replied even as he felt the wave of anger that preceded Logan who glared at him. Charles watched Logan move up behind Rogue with careless abandon, pull her close and bury his face in her neck before pushing her toward the stairwell.

“Get out of our home Wheels.” Rogue hissed only to disappear up the stairs at a low growl from Logan who turned back to Charles with his claws slowly inching out.

“So you had to rush up here to see if we’d killed ‘em all huh?” Logan growled.

“Jean’s mind seemed a bit messy. Like she’s suffering a fever or something.”

“Fever?” Scott glanced at Logan. “She sick?”

“When hasn’t she been?”

“Please all I want is my team. You said you were willing to talk, willing to trade for them. What do you want?” Charles said aware of the hulking figure that moved behind him.

Logan snickered and looked at the other two men he called teammates. “What you took from the girls.”

“I have taken nothing from them.”

Scott snorted and glanced away. How typical of Charles to push aside any blame from himself.

“It’s rather simple.” Logan moved pinning Charles into place with the claws at his throat. “You’re going to forget you ever heard of any of us. You’re going to go back to New York and live in your little mansion with your students and you’re going to leave us to hell alone. If you don’t…we’ll come hunting.”

Charles swallowed at the barely disguised threat. “If I do I’ll get my team back?”

“What’s left of ‘em.” Tank snickered.

“I want to see them. I want to physically see that they’re alive and unharmed.” Charles demanded.

“Really?” Logan glanced at Scott then at Tank. “Do it Tank. Let’s see how well he likes a stay in our holding cells.”

Charles felt a prick of a needle in his neck a moment before his world went dark. The last thing he saw was Logan’s triumphant expression and the cold indifference in his eyes.
Chapter 58 by Shadowlady
The first thing Charles was aware of was the distinct chill in the air. The next was that he was lying on the floor and his chair was conspicuous in its absence. Struggling into a sitting position he glanced around.

Storm sat on the floor across from him and Piotr and Hank were both settled in with a couple of books.

“Where’s Jean?” Charles asked softly.

“In a separate cell. Haven’t seen her for a while now.” Piotr replied softly.

“Is she okay? She alive?”

“She’s alive.” Hank replied glancing at him uneasily. “Why did you come Charles?”

“I thought I could talk them into releasing you.” Charles replied dragging himself across the floor to sit next to Storm. “Thought they’d be reasonable.”

Storm sighed and shook her head. “You came to get Jean back.” She said tonelessly.

“I came to get you all back. What they’re doing is not appropriate.” Charles started. “We cannot allow this to continue. There are too many lives at risk now.”

Hank glanced up suddenly. “Meal time.” He said as the door opened and Jubilee stepped into the room.

She walked past Charles to get to the dumbwaiter. Pulling out the trolley she uncovered four plates and four spoons. “Hope you don’t mind the simple meal. We’ve got a guest cook tonight and she’s a little new.”

Hank eyed the semi burnt pasta and bite sized steak. “Looks edible.”

“I see you’re awake Wheels welcome to the party. You’ll forgive us if we find your presence a bit infuriating.” Jubilee snapped before dropping his plate into his lap. “Better eat up. You never know when your next meal’s coming down.”

“How long have I been out?”

Jubilee shrugged and glanced at her watch. “Most of the day. The tranquilizer works on the central nervous system.”

“What are you going to do with me?”

“Depends. You wanted an audience with Red, you’ll get one. After you’ve eaten. Tank figures she’s sedate enough to handle being moved from her cell to this one for a while.”

“We don’t want her in this one!” Storm snarled. “I don’t want her anywhere near me.”

“Well what you want is about as important to me and mine as what the army wants. In other words enjoy supper your precious Dr. Grey will be joining you shortly.”

The slam of the door had everyone jumping and looking at each other.

“Why don’t you want Jean in here?” Charles asked.

“Because she’s to blame for all of this!” Storm rose to her feet and began pacing. “She admitted to it. Said she wanted power, wanted to have control over the situation, over the war with humans. What kind of person would do that?”

“I’m sure you misunderstood what she said.” Charles soothed. “Please just sit down.

“You approve of her don’t you? You think that selling out Rogue and the girls, selling out the school is okay! We don’t. We want our freedom and if it means leaving Jean behind then we’ll do that.” Storm raged.

“Ororo please, calm down. This isn’t helping anyone or anything.” Charles watched as Storm moved over to sit next to Hank and Piotr. “We’ll all go home soon.”

Hank shook his head. “No we won’t. They’re not going to let us all go. It’s not the way they work.”

“You want to know the details of this situation? I’ll fill you in on what I’ve learned so far. Several years ago in an attempt to stop Magneto we brought Rogue and Logan into the mansion. Jean wanted Logan and Scott. Wanted to be the center of attention and she had it until something happened. Suddenly Jean wasn’t the top of the heap anymore. She had competition for a man who didn’t belong to her.” Storm explained coldly. “She wanted Logan, wanted what he could give and she was willing to risk it all to have it. After all no one would refuse beautiful, perfect Dr. Jean Grey. Only Logan did not in words but in actions. He stabbed himself to get free to save Rogue. He touched her, shared his gifts with her, and gave her the tags, the gifts. Jean saw that and hated it. In her desire to be the alpha female she had to get rid of the competition. She sold out the girls when they went north. Played them and us to have the power and the attention of the two men she felt could benefit her. Only problem was she didn’t count on Rogue’s resilience, or Logan’s devotion.”

“Jean was never interested in Logan.” Charles protested.

“No? Then why would she sell out the one woman who stood in her way of getting him. We’ve all seen what he’s willing to do for Rogue.” Piotr pointed out. “He’s willing to kill for her, more importantly he’s willing to die for her.”

“She’s sick. She needs help. I could help Rogue, Miss Pryde, and Miss Lee regain their identities if they let me. I’m willing to help them.”

“But they don’t want it.” Hank sighed. “At least one of them is pregnant. At least one of them is a cold, calculated killing machine that is willing to do whatever needs doing. They’re all survivors. How can you help them?”

Charles sighed. He prayed that his senior team members were wrong. Prayed that this organization wasn’t so twisted that they’d refuse to release innocent, tolerant people. Prayed that they were all wrong and that Jean hadn’t betrayed them.



Charles glanced up at the sound of a key in the lock and watched as the door swung open to reveal a tall, broad shouldered man with a black look upon his face. Spotting a flash of red hair behind him Charles hid his relief. He was obviously the guard sent to bring Jean in to speak to him.

He couldn’t still the gasp as he saw Jean for the first time. Her face was marked by a rather ugly looking brand. One hand was wrapped in yards of bandages, her arms had a multitude of burns and cuts on them and she was covered in bruises.

“Dear God Jean what happened?” Charles gaped at her.

“Frankenstein happened.” Jean explained sinking painfully to sit next to her mentor. “How’d you get here? Are you okay?”

“Look at ‘em.” Storm hissed. “Lovebirds. Makes me sick. Wonder if they’d move me. I’d rather spend the rest of my captivity in some small, coffin sized…”

“Shut up ‘Ro.” Jean snapped. “You’re no better. Willing to sell yourself for your freedom.”

“In case you’ve missed it Jean. The men that are here don’t want you. They don’t want me either. I’m no telepath but the fact that we can hear someone having sex in the other room is hardly a telltale sign that they’re lusting after us.”

“We’re POW’s ‘Ro not guests.”

“We wouldn’t be POW’s if you’d kept your stupid jealousy under control!”

“Ladies.” Charles raised a hand. “Jean tell me what’s going on. Why are they making such accusations?”

Jean stared at Charles for a moment. She couldn’t lie to him and she couldn’t reveal her full deceit. How could she explain to him that they could have so much more than anyone ever imagined and all they had to do was get rid of the competition?
Chapter 59 by Shadowlady
Charles watched Jean carefully, noting the unease, the tension within her body and wondered about it. Keeping his gaze steady, unassuming he waited patiently for her to start speaking.

“They don’t see, don’t understand.” Jean said softly. “We have so much power, so much more than they could ever give us. Without them in the picture we can harness his energy, mold him into a warrior for us. They should have died.”

“Power? What on earth are you talking about Jean?” Charles demanded softly.

“Rogue. It’s her fault. Magneto knew her powers, knew her gifts…knew what a weapon she could be. I saw it within her, saw that she was uncontrollable. Untamed. The only one who could survive her was Wolverine and he could be harnessed, trained, molded into more than just a crude bar fighter.” Jean rose and shuffled across the room and back. Her movements were clumsy, pain filled and uncomfortable to even watch but it was her expression that gave Charles pause.

“What does Logan have to do with anything? We all knew he would return for what he considered his. Granted we didn’t expect it to be so soon but still we knew.”

“But he’s got the ability to be ruthless.” Jean snapped. “Don’t you see. We don’t need their gifts, their energy at all. We could have so much more than just an existence. Why is it that we allow mankind to abuse our kind? Why do we tolerate so much from Magneto? We could destroy them all without a concern and yet we hold back.”

Jean paused, obviously trying to calm her thoughts. “Rogue is like a disease, she always has been. With her gone it would have been so much easier. It would have meant that we could have it all. There would be no more threats, no more concerns around her gifts. They couldn’t see that. They saw this innocent face and their dicks took over.”

“You’re blaming Rogue for what happened to her?” Charles gaped at her.

“What happened to her? Nothing happened to her. She merely got what she deserved the conniving little bitch. She wanted to take him away from me, she wrapped him around her finger with her poor little me attitude and expected everyone to feel sorry for her. No. I won’t. Rogue is responsible for her own demise not me, not us. If she wants to pass the blame around she should have a look a little closer to herself.”

Charles sat in shocked silence. “And the military attack?”

Jean shrugged coldly as she knelt before him. “Don’t you see Charles? We don’t need any of them. You and I could have everything, power, control.”

“And what of Scott? What of Hank, and Logan, and the others?”

“Pfft who needs them? What’s their powers to ours?” Jean shook her head. “Think about it Charles. We’re above them, we have the ability to affect change in ways that they will never be able to.”

“Mind control?” Charles shook his head. “That’s the first thing I taught you Jean. You can’t manipulate a person’s mind no matter how righteous the cause!”

“But it’s not manipulating!” Jean denied.

“She means we should all die off and leave just you and her in power.” Storm pointed out coldly.

“What of ‘Ro’s capture? Did you have a hand in that?”

“No, but it was a rather beneficial plan. I mean who on earth would want her? Not even the army guards…”

Storm gasped and rose to her feet fury in her eyes. “How dare you? How dare you sit there and say that someone isn’t good enough to be raped? If anyone deserves death it’s you. You sold us out, you’re even worse than Magneto!”

“Ororo.” Charles tried to sooth her. “Please.”

“No. I won’t sit here and listen to her go on about how I’m to blame, how Rogue is to blame. Let’s be honest here! Jean sold those girls out. She’s got a lover in the army, one she manipulates to get information and who she can send intel to. How else do you think the army knew to hit us? Logan? Rogue? They have no use for the army. I’ve seen firsthand how they deal with them. I close my eyes and see Rogue shredding some grunt in a military uniform. I remember being carried out of that hellhole, slogging my way through the blood and guts on the floor!”

Storm gasped for breath. “I’ve seen what they looked like. What you let happen to them. What we all let happen to them. We gave up on them so fast and they didn’t deserve that. We betrayed them…they didn’t betray us!”

Charles glanced at Jean to see her reaction to Ororo’s outburst. “Jean?”

“Such bloody melodrama. You really think they’re going to let any of us go? Where do you think Warlok is? Probably in some lab cell waiting for experimentation. We’re the enemy…”

“No. You are.” Storm hissed. “They should have killed you that night. Should have let you drown in your own blood instead of letting you live! Better yet they should turn you over to the army and let them deal with you!”

“Enough!” Charles struggled to maintain his emotions. “Please let us be calm about this.”

“So you’re saying you agree with Jean?” Hank demanded.

“No. That isn’t what I’m saying.” Charles replied stiffly and glanced at Jean who looked triumphantly at Storm. “What Jean did was beyond betrayal. Are you really so hungry for power that you’d risk destroying those that care about you to do it?”

“I care for nothing. What’s a few lives, a little blood between friends? Between family? You’re not seeing the big picture Charles. They’re going to pass that ridiculous Registration Act. They’re going to make us all into the enemy. We can stop it now, before it becomes a situation that we can’t control. Let me have the time, the power to do it!”

“And what?” Charles whispered sadly. “You’re not seriously considering wiping out everyone who doesn’t think like you do! You can’t. Life is precious.”

“Mutant life Charles.” Jean replied coldly. “Mutants are precious, humans are not.”

Charles felt the barb go deeper and nick at the control over his temper. He could easily destroy Jean’s mind with a thought but could he live with himself…His thoughts were interrupted when the door opened and Kitty stepped into the room, followed by Scott.

From the tension within the others he wondered just what was going to happen now. Would they get out alive…or was Frankenstein determined to finish them for once and all?
Chapter 60 by Shadowlady
“Alright Red, times up.” Kitty smirked at her even as Scott stared at Jean with cold indifference. “Back to your little home away from home.”

“What happened to Warlok?” Jean demanded. “Where is he?”

“Far away from here. Creed Inc. is handling his trial.”

“They aren’t part of the judicial system.” Jean snarled as Scott lifted her to her feet with a hard hand on her arm.

“They are part of ours. Now then I hope y’all are comfortable for the night cause we’ve got some things to do and…”

“I’ll be right back. You sure you can handle them?” Scott paused his gaze on Kitty who smiled warmly up at him.

“I’ll be okay. They aren’t going to hurt me…not with Logan, Tank, Rogue, and Jubilee a scream away.” Kitty whispered standing on tiptoe to kiss him gently.

“Back in three.”

Kitty nodded and left the door ajar as Scott ushered Jean back down the hall.

“She needs medical assistance.” Charles stated.

“She’s had it. Personally, I’d have left her to bleed to death but then that isn’t very nice is it? So uh you’re all worried ‘bout your precious Jean are you? Scared she didn’t get half of what you wanted done?”

“Who said I wanted her to do anything?” Charles asked calmly. Perhaps if he could make Kitty doubt their mission, their stance then he could get to the bottom of the situation.

Kitty smiled coldly. “If you’re trying to make me doubt what we’re doing don’t waste our time. You have nothing I want to hear and I…I have nothing you want anymore.”

“Kitty please. There has to be a way we can work this out.”

“As long as you don’t see what’s right in front of you how can you even think that? You and your precious Jean sold us out. There is no forgive and forget.”

“Honey?” Scott paused in the doorway and stared at her. “Dinner’s ready.”

“Coming.” With a final dark look Kitty turned and walked away closing the door with a solid click.

Staring at her feet Ororo felt the knot of betrayal and anger tightening within her chest. Despite the truth, despite the facts Charles was once again trying to protect Jean. Trying to protect the one person who should have known better, who understood the power and dedication that controlling a mutation involved.

“I’m not.” Charles glanced at ‘Ro. “I’m trying to get all of us home safely.”

“And you think siding with Jean is going to do it?” ‘Ro whispered softly. “Do you understand what happened to those girls? Do you know what they went through for all those weeks, those months? You’ve never had to experience it.”

Charles glanced away uneasily. It had taken him weeks to build strong enough walls to keep the thoughts, the images Rogue had imprinted on his mind from invading his mind the moment he relaxed. There were times though when the images, the phantom pain invaded his mind and body and he couldn’t stop it.

“So what happens now?” Piotr asked glancing between ‘Ro and Hank. “We can’t spend the rest of our lives locked in this cell.”

“I don’t know.” Charles sighed. “I wish I knew how to make this better but I don’t. I can’t reach them.”

“Can’t or won’t.” Hank retorted.

“What would you have me do?” Charles snapped angrily. “Destroy everything we’ve worked hard to build?”

“Yes!” ‘Ro shouted. “Yes if it means that we walk away with out lives intact. Quit protecting a woman who wouldn’t do it for you!”

“I’m not protecting Jean.”

“Yes you are. You may be shocked by what she’s done but you’re ready to forgive and forget about it. It wasn’t you that walked through the blood-soaked hallways of the mansion. It wasn’t you that risked life and limb to save those kids…Rogue did! Katharine Pryde did. Jubilation Lee did! What did you do? What did any of us do? Tell me that Charles. Tell me what does it take for you to face the fact that your precious Jean isn’t what you think?” Hank snarled.

“There’s something wrong with her. I’d think you’d be a bit more forgiving considering…”

“Considering what?” Ororo muttered tonelessly. “I spent time in one of those prisons. I’ve woken up some nights drenched in sweat and fear because I can feel hands all over me. My mind is such a tangle of lies and deceit because of her and you’re saying forgive and forget? Why? Do you agree with her? Is that it Charles. You want what she’s dangling in front of you. The power to control all of life or death?”

Charles shook his head. “Ororo you need to calm yourself. Losing control isn’t going to make things any easier. We need to think of a way to get out without…”

“There is no out!” Storm raged her eyes flashing dangerously. “There is no you’re free so go home! Don’t you get it? They’ve moved on! They’ve built lives, families even and we’re the only thing that stands between them and peace. If they want to rip Jean to shreds I say let them. I have students that depend upon me and I will not allow them to suffer because of the actions of one power hungry telepath!”

“So what do you suggest we do?” Charles demanded angrily. “Just throw away one of uor own?”

“Yes.”

“She’s a damn good doctor, and a powerful teammember.”

“So’s Hank but I don’t see him setting young women up to be raped and mutilated!”

“I see no scars, no…”

Storm shook her head. “Because you choose not to look! I remember what I saw; I remember the scars that disfigured Jubilee. I remember the claws that lay within Rogue’s hands. God only knows what sort of twisted, mangled mess they’ve made of Kitty!”

“Ororo’s right.” Hank said. “They’ve all shown that something bad happened. I don’t think they’re evil at all Charles. I think they’ve done all of this as a survival mechanism. They took back the power that they lost when they were captured…do we punish them for it or do we punish who set them up?”

Shifting uneasily Charles glanced between them. Could he live with Jean’s betrayal? Could he risk the lives of the innocent children to save the life of one who’d grown up under his tutelage? No. The children deserved a chance to have a life free of fear, free of the constant worry of looking over their shoulders. He would have to do something, would have to remove the risk. The only problem was how did he do that without destroying what he’d built, what he’d dreamt of for so very long?





Huddled within the semi-darkness of her ‘cell’ Jean stared at the wall fury racing through her. How dare they treat her like a criminal, like a common mutant? She’d show them all when she ruled with Charles.

Rocking back and forth Jean let a slow, evil little smile cross her face as she pictured what she’d do to Rogue to Logan. The easiest way to destroy the girl was to take what she had, and the one thing she valued above all else. It was be such a pleasure to force Rogue to watch while she fucked Logan over and over again.

And that snotty little Kitty had it coming. She’d make sure she knew what it felt like to bleed because she owed it to her. Kitty would never know what hit her, but she’d feel every little incision, every inch long gash, every drop of blood that oozed over her pale flesh to pool at her feet. Oh yes, she’d enjoy Kitty’s destruction almost as much as she’d enjoy Rogue’s.


So lost in thought she didn’t feel the tickle of a more powerful mind reaching out to hers. Didn’t feel the shock and anger that swelled before being ruthlessly crushed. If she had’ve she might have been a bit more concerned, a bit more cautious. Instead she wallowed in her plans to destroy the only things standing between her and her rightful place in power!
Chapter 61 by Shadowlady
Blinking Charles glanced at the others in the room. They all slept soundly, as though safe within their confinement. Shuddering he shifted on the floor his skin crawling as he realized exactly what was going to happen if Jean got out.

The woman down the hall wasn’t the girl he’d watched grow up. She had become a twisted, malevolent person so bent on a power grab that she’d forgotten who and what she was. If he didn’t do something she would ultimately destroy anyone who crossed her…up to and including those who were at one time her friends.

Staring through the semi darkness at Storm and Hank who were curled around each other Charles wondered idly if they knew just how lucky they were. Yes Storm was haunted by phantom thoughts but she didn’t really know what had happened to her, and Hank was supportive in spite of everything. He offered acceptance something many would not do, not in this situation.

He couldn’t explain it to them what he knew. How could he tell his team that what had happened to Rogue, Kitty, and Jubilee was so much worse than just being made into a victim. They’d been broken, twisted until they had accepted what had been done to them.

It was only now, through the love and devotion of the men in their lives that they’d found worth. Men who for all intents and purposes should have walked away, sold them out, betrayed them in some manner but they hadn’t.

Logan had done the one thing he’d never believed the other man capable of. He’d given Rogue his heart, his mind, his body and he was obviously thriving on it. He’d surrendered his past to his future, enveloped Rogue within the circle of his love and devotion and made her whole again.

Scott had turned away from Jean completely. It had nothing to do with Logan, nothing to do with a competition for the doctor’s affections. Rather it had be the realization that he’d contributed to what the girls had suffered that had awakened his sense of responsibility. When Kitty had taken Scott’s control, taken his leadership, his standing away and made him into a victim it had awakened old desires, old memories that he’d pushed away. Now there was a steady bedrock of love and devotion for the young woman to fall back on.

He hadn’t seen Jubilee yet but Charles was sure that she was almost back to herself…perhaps a bit stronger, a bit more determined to be a woman in the fullest sense of the word.

Jean would destroy all of that. She would take their worlds and twist and mangle them until the girls themselves were no more. She would exploit their weaknesses, their fears to turn them into cold, impersonal objects…then she would kill them. Of that he was certain.

No he knew what she needed, what she had to see. The only problem was he couldn’t bring himself to open the gates to the memories to the pain and degradation that had been forced into his mind.

“You should get some sleep.” Ororo’s soft voice had him glancing at her.

“Why?”

“Morning around here comes very early. And I don’t think they’re going to be nice and let us sleep in. They want it over with.”

Charles nodded slowly. “Yes they do.”

Curling up as best he could Charles closed his eyes. He would give this some thought in the morning. Perhaps Rogue would be willing to force the memories into Jean’s mind…if not he’d have to do it. He would have to destroy her mind to save all that he loved, all that he had worked so hard to build.


With a low groan Logan rolled over and blinked as his hand encountered a cold sheet. “Marie?”

“Right here.” The soft whisper drew his attention to the window seat where Rogue sat staring out at the moonlit yard.

“What’s wrong?” Logan asked walking up to her and wrapping her in a hug.

“I’m tired.”

“Then come to bed.”

Rogue smiled up at him and shook her head. “No not that kind of tired. I’m tired of hurting, of feeling guilty. I’m tired of having no control over who and what I am.”

“What do you mean?” Logan choked out. “Are you saying you don’t want us? You and me?”

Rogue turned and stared at him. “No. No I’m not saying I don’t want you. I’m saying I don’t want to know anymore. I don’t want my mind. Since we caught up with Jean I haven’t slept more than a couple of hours. The moment my guard slips, the minute I sink into a deep sleep the nightmares begin. I wake up smelling the stench of semen, of stale sex. My head echoes the sounds of my best friends’ screams. I’m so tired of it Logan.”

Carrying her back to their bed Logan curled around her. “So how do we make it stop?”

“We can’t. You still have your nightmares.”

“Perhaps but I know that when I wake you’re there. I smell your scent long before they get too bad.” Logan whispered.

“I want to go down there and choke her until she quits breathing.” Rogue whispered shamefully. “I want to beat her so badly that she can’t scream. I want to hurt her like they hurt us! I want to make her bleed from places she’s not supposed to bleed. If I could I’d impale her and leave her to bleed to death. I want to twist her mind, turn it into the tangled mess that mine is. And I feel so guilty for it. I feel like I’m betraying everyone and everything we stand for by wanting to hurt her so badly.”

“But you aren’t betraying us. Marie, we all want to see her pay.”

“But you don’t fantasize about raping her until she’s bleeding so badly that she drowns in it. You don’t picture cutting into her flesh with tiny little scalpels and pouring hot metal over her bones. Why can’t I let it go? Why can’t I just…”

Logan nuzzled into her neck. “You want to know what I’d like to do to her. You want to know what I think is a just penalty for her sins?”

Inhaling he exhaled slowly. “I want to lock her in a tiny cell in the dark and let anyone who wants to play go in there. I want to listen to her scream and beg and plead with them not to touch her. I want her to taste blood, taste the excrement that they put all over you, all over our girls. I want her to know what it’s like to be eight, nine years old and have a grown man forcing himself into her body. I want her to know what it feels like to breathe water, to listen to the distorted sounds of champagne glasses being tapped together.” Logan paused. “I don’t feel guilty about it Marie. I don’t feel like I should be punished for wanting her to suffer. I look at you; I look at Kitty, at Jubilee. I hear the sounds of silent sobs from locked bathroom doors. I see the shadows in Scott’s face. See the pain in Tank’s eyes and it just makes me want it even more. All I have to do is smell the pain radiating from your skin when you shower, see the way you scrub it until it’s raw in places and it’s like a burning rage that just keeps boiling within me.”

“But you don’t…”

“I don’t think it’s your fault. I think she deserves to suffer. Marie if we let her go, if we let her out into the world she isn’t going to stop. The others are controllable. They can be manipulated into leaving us alone but she won’t ever. She wants to destroy what she can’t have.”

“She wants you.”

Logan gave a harsh bark of laughter. “She wants what I represent.”

“What’s that?” Rogue whispered staring out the window her body tense, unyielding, a fine tremble to her limbs.

“Power.”

Rogue rolled onto her back and stared at him. “If she wants it so badly perhaps she should have it.”

“What do you mean?”

“Electrify her cell. If she touches anything, the walls, the door, it would fry her.”

Logan smiled down at her as he leaned on his elbow. “But you can’t live with that. You and I both know your heart is too good to do that.” He said when she started to object. “You love as openly and honestly as you hate. You want her to pay and well she should but not at the expense of those we love. If that were the case you’d have killed her back in Calgary.”

“So how do we make this stop? How can I make what I feel go away? I have to think of our child Logan, I have to think of its future and I’m not going to fool myself into thinking he or she’ll have one if Jean’s around.”

“We’ll have a meeting in the morning with the rest of the team. We’ll see what they think.”

Rogue nodded. “Can we make love now? Can I touch you?”

Logan grinned at her. “Baby you can do anything you want to me. Touch me, take me…because I’m yours and yours alone.”

Rogue smiled shakily. “Good. I love you Logan.”

“I love you to.” Logan whispered kissing her passionately. Come morning he was going to figure out a way to get rid of Jean Grey for good…he’d be damned if he was going to let her destroy the woman he loved or the life he’d built.
Chapter 62 by Shadowlady
The sound of a key turning in a lock had those within the cell glancing up. The tall, broad shouldered man who stood eying them made Charles uneasy.

“Well looks like you’re awake.”

“Yes, yes we are.” Hank shifted pulling Storm a bit tighter against him.

“Good. Feedin’ time’s early today. Got things to do and you’re not going to hold anyone back.”

“Look we uh we need to have a bath or shower or something.” Storm spoke softly. “Not to mention a bit of exercise.”

“You want exercise, sex is one of the best there is.” Tank grunted as he unloaded breakfast. “Now we’ve got a meetin’ so try not to get too loud.”

“Where’s Logan?” Charles demanded. “I wish to speak to him.”

“He’s busy.”

“Then get him. I have an offer that may…”

“I don’t interrupt a conversation between Streaks and Wolverine. I prefer to keep my genitalia intact. So does my girl.”

Charles sighed. “Please. All I want is this to be over. I don’t want to fight with you, we have to get home.”

Glancing at the other three Tank shrugged. “Logan wants to see you he’ll come see you. I ain’t about to tell him he has to.”

“But…”

“Look around here we put our women first. Now Rogue may just be another piece of disposable trash to you but to some of us she’s pretty damn important. I won’t allow you to risk the health and welfare of her child for your pride.”

The slam of the door left the rooms occupants in shocked silence. If what he’d said was true than they had another problem. How do you communicate with someone who can’t or won’t listen to you?



“Damn fools. Figure that everyone’s gonna just jump through hoops to listen to them.” Tank muttered stalking into the kitchen and slumping into a chair next to Jubilee.

“Must have been pretty mouthy to spoil your good mood.” Jubilee teased softly as she nudged him. “What’s old ‘Hairless Wonder’ want?”

“To talk to Logan.”

“Logan’s busy.” Jubilee gasped in horror.

“I know.” Tank glanced up as the light fixture rattled. “Something tells me he ain’t gonna be doing much visiting today. Rogue seems to be in high gear.”

Chuckling Scott walked into the kitchen. “Tell me about it. I could hear them all night.”

“I think it’s a good thing.” Tank drawled carefully as Scott handed him a cup of coffee. “She’s spent so long feeling guilty for the anger, the rage within her that she needs an outlet.”

“But to putting Logan’s healing factor such a strong workout to get off?” Scott paused. “Would that be wise?”

With a tired glance at his comrades Tank shrugged. “Can you think of any reason why Rogue shouldn’t be a sexual being?”

“What do you mean?” Scott asked catching the telling glance Tank and Jubilee shared. “What’s going on?”

“You know how everyone said Rogue wasn’t abused sexually?” Jubilee whispered. “How they couldn’t do that to her?”

“Yeah? Don’t know why not Logan’s been working out the bed for so long.”

Jubilee shrugged. “Jean wanted Logan, figured she could play with him and it hurt Rogue. It made her think she wasn’t sexually worthy. With our capture and the exploitation she suffered it only reinforced Rogue’s opinion. Logan’s willingness to make love to her all day and night has made Rogue aware that she is sexual.”

“So Logan’s doing for Rogue what I did for Kitty?” Scott asked.

“Pretty much. The thing is we have to use that therapy to help all of us. Logan wants justice, and he wants this over with because it’s keeping Rogue wound up and that ain’t good for her or the baby.”

“What does Rogue want from Xavier and his team?”

“She wants Jean to suffer as we have. She wants to push the memories into Jean’s mind and leave her to rot.”

Scott nodded. “Does anyone else have those memories?”

“We all do Scott.” Jubilee shrugged. “We lived it, and we didn’t get the blessing of mind control drugs that kept us unaware.”

Scott nodded slowly. “You could influence Jean’s mind. You could make her…”

“But how? I don’t know anything about telepathy.”

Scott grinned. “But Xavier does. We use him as a connector. Get him into Jean’s head and then he can build a bridge between your mind and hers. Once it’s built then you can deposit the memories.”

“She could build walls around them though.”

“Yeah but that’s where Chuckie comes in.” Scott ducked as the ceiling seemed to groan under the weight of something falling on it. “Damn they broke another frame.”

“What do you mean?” Tank demanded after a quick chuckle. “What does Xavier have…”

“He could make it impossible to build walls around them. Basically he could lower her guards, her telepathy and render her mind useless to anything.”

“But would he be willing to?” Tank demanded. “There are more than just us involved now Scott. With both Kitty and Rogue pregnant and in their first most delicate trimesters any shock or upset could have potentially devastating effects. I know Logan…”

“Yes. Something tells me he wants out of this mess as badly as we do.” Scott declared.

“Fine then you and I’ll go down and talk to him. See if he’s willing enough…even if he isn’t I’m sure he could be influenced to help.”

Jubilee sat in silence as the two men left the room. She had no qualms with putting the memories in Jean’s head, no qualms with destroying the beautiful doctor. Twisting her coffee cup around Jubilee sighed, with any luck everything would be over soon and they could get on with living life.

Rising from her chair Jubilee walked over to the counter and pulled out the box of saltines Kitty had insisted be put in every room in the house. Smirking slightly she opened a package and headed for the den.
Chapter 63 by Shadowlady
The soft sound of a leather sole on the floor drew Charles’ attention a moment before the door opened and Scott and the walking wall stepped inside. Raising an eyebrow he sat silently waiting, wondering what new torment they’d cooked up.

“What’s it worth to you?” Scott demanded standing braced with his arms crossed over his chest.

“What’s what worth?”

“Your freedom. Your team. You dream.”

“More than you know.” Charles replied softly. “Where’s Logan?”

“Busy.” Tank drawled. “Therapy at the moment.”

“A good kind of therapy that nobody would need if it wasn’t for your precious Jean Grey!” Scott snapped angrily. “Now here’s the thing. Rogue gave you the memories the night that Kitty came for me. She said she did.”

“Yes.”

“Good. Then you know what they’re fighting to forget. I’m willing to compromise, I’ll let you and your band of merry geeks go but I’m not about to let Jean leave with her powers. The balance of the debt rests squarely on Jean’s shoulders and its up to you to choose. Them or her.”

Charles watched Scott turn and start for the door. “Did you know?”

“What?”

“When she sent them, when she recommended them for that mission did you know what she was planning?”

“No.” Scott shook his head. “I was still too busy trying to keep her from running off to fuck Logan.”

“Then perhaps it isn’t Jean that’s to blame…”

“If you’re going to blame Logan for what Jean did don’t. He flirted with her yes but deep down he didn’t want her. He didn’t risk life and limb to save her on the statue, or on that train. He did it for one woman, a woman that Jean’s jealous of.”

“And you think taking her mind will help her…”

Scott glanced at Tank who shrugged slightly but held his tongue. “Personally, I think Jean deserves to be hung. I saw first hand what she allowed to happen to those girls. I close my eyes and I still see the scars, the marks that nearly destroyed Kitty. I dream about what it took to actually get her to enjoy herself. I remember every blow, every sob with every touch. If destroying her mind will keep her from doing this to someone else then yes, I think it will be a good thing.”

“You’ve got about an hour to figure it out. It’ll take me that long to get the sedatives ready and have my morning meeting with Jubilee.” Tank drawled. “So if I were you I’d agree because if Rogue has to touch her to force the memories into her head…Logan’ll gut her.”

The slam of the door had everyone jumping slightly.

“So what are you going to do?” Storm asked.

Charles glanced at Storm before his gaze skidded back to the door. “The only thing I can. I’m going to help them.”

“What? Why? You still believe the lies Jean…” Piotr ground out.

“Because if Jean ever gets free she’ll kill everyone and everything that stands in the way of her having control. She wants power and I won’t surrender it to her.”

“And you think you can live with the decision you’ve made?” Hank asked softly.

Chalres glanced at Hank then turned his attention to his lap. “Yes. I didn’t want to believe, I didn’t want to have to give up on her but it’s true. She does deserve to be punished.”

“The memories that Rogue forced into you are they bad?” Storm asked.

Charles paled and swallowed hard. “The kind thing would have been to kill the three of them. The generosity of those who rescued them was a fool’s ideal. What those men did to them wasn’t even animalistic. It was barbaric, cruel, torture. And Jean in her own way knew about it. She knew from the records we’ve gotten from other sources what would happen and she did nothing to help them.”

Sharing a glance the trio sighed. “When it’s done will she still be the Jean we knew?”

Charles shook his head. “Not really. It’ll be like the lights are on but no one and I mean no one is home. I’m afraid that to stop her I’ll have to take her powers away.”

“So they want you to corrupt her mind and gifts?” Hank asked softly.

“No. They want me to allow them to put the memories there. She will not be able to build protective walls while she’s sedated. In effect the memories will destroy her.”

Storm shifted. “Good. Maybe now she’ll know what it feels like to lose hope, to lose your soul in those places.”

“She will. And I will take her gifts from her without a thought. It’s a just sentence.”



Smothering a yawn Logan made his way into the kitchen and reached for the coffee pot. Rogue was currently snuggled into their tangled mess of blankets atop the mattresses sitting on the floor.

The fact that they’d broken another frame made him grin, an expression he hid in his coffee. Still he knew that great sex aside they had to find a way to end this madness. Rogue was so deep in the guilt and self-loathing that he wasn’t entirely sure that he could get her out.

With a curse he grabbed the coffee pot and refilled his mug amazed that he’d drank it so quickly. They needed to get Xavier and his geeks out of the house, out of the province, and out of the country. Frankly if Logan had a choice he’d just hack ‘em into bits and scatter the remains for the carrion eaters, but it wasn’t up to Logan.

“Morning Logan.” Jubilee’s voice drew his attention.

“Hey kid.”

“How’s Rogue?”

“Sleeping for once.”

“So uh you two broke another frame huh?” Jubilee giggled. “You’re gonna have to invest in a sturdy one next time.”

“Jubilee, some reason you’re discussing my sex life?”

“Oh uh hyeah. We’ve got a plan and Xavier’s gonna help us out.”

“How?”

“We’re going to implant all the bad memories into Jean’s head. Or rather I am. I want her to know what its like to be me for a while. I’m going to put every bad thing I’ve ever experienced in there and leave her to rot.”

“Good idea. And Xavier’s gonna help out huh?”

“Yep. Something about he wanted his team alive.”

Logan chuckled a warm, relaxed sound. “Have fun kid. I’m gonna take Rogue something to eat.”

“You don’t want to be there for it?” Jubilee asked softly.

Pausing Logna turned to her and shrugged. “No I don’t. I want this over with. I want to be able to go to bed and curl up with Rogue and not have to worry about waking up in a couple of hours to see her sitting staring out the window. I want to be able to see her come out of the shower clean, not guilty, not scrubbed raw. I want my girl back.”

“You’re not acting like you. The Logan I know would be all hack ‘em to bits and you’re acting pretty calm.”

Logan laughed. “I guess I am. I just had enough Jubilee. Besides Rogue doesn’t want me in the same room as Jean. Says she doesn’t trust the bitch not to try something and I do whatever I can to stop Rogue from getting upset.”

Jubilee nodded. “But you’re not turning all roses and teddy bears are you?”

“No Jubilee. I’ll go kick some butt later, some poor military shmuck or something. It’s just this I can’t be there for. You’ll have to fill me in later okay?”

“Sure.” Jubilee watched Logan head for the doorway.

“Oh by the way Jubilee?”

“Yeah Logan?”

“Congratulations.”

“On what? Winning?”

Logan smirked. “No. Making it three outta three.”

Jubilee flushed and watched him disappear out the door. Glancing down she tossed the crackers onto the table and sighed. This was going to be hard but it was something she had to do. If not for herself then for the others who were still suffering from Jean’s jealous wrath.
Chapter 64 by Shadowlady
Through the haze of the sedative she’d been given Jean could clearly identify Charles. He sat in his wheelchair so calmly, so serenely and she wondered if they’d sedated him as well.

Sinking onto the gurney she’d roughly been pushed at she curled up into a ball, hoping to just ride the feelings of peace from the drugs. Closing her eyes she lay still, knowing that she wouldn’t sleep despite the exhaustion that clung to her body.

“You ready?” A familiar voice, filled with cold indifference. A voice that at one time been filled with love, with warmth for her.

Jean shivered she felt so cold, so used up but she knew she had to stay strong. She had to get what she needed for them all to survive. Years of listening to people speak evil of mutants, of her had worn her emotions thin and now all she wanted was to kill those who were opposed to the mutants.

The softest of touches on her mind had her shifting uneasily as she glanced up to see Charles by her head. A small, sad smile crossed his face as he leaned toward her, “I’m sorry Jean.”

Frowning in confusion Jean gasped as she felt her mind being ripped open. Like the layers of a fine, delicate pastry Charles lifted each one, dismantling her mental blocks, destroying her control.

~What are you doing Charles?~ Jean demanded panicking slightly. She didn’t want her mind dissected, didn’t want anyone to know her deepest darkest secrets.

~Helping you child. Helping you.~ Charles replied sadly. ~Just relax. This won’t hurt a bit.~

Jean trembled on the table silently cursing the drug in her system. Whatever it was had made it impossible to struggle and she was once again at the mercy of someone else who was stronger than she.

Closing her eyes she felt the hot scald of tears on her face even as she saw Charles walking through her memories. Memories of the child of Scott’s she’d destroyed rather than give life. Memories of the men she’d seduced, the power she’d gained, the horrors she’d done to those who were weaker or not worthy. With each layer, each twist of her mind she could feel Charles backing out of her mind slowly until it lay open and exposed.

“Hey bitch,” the soft purr in her ear had her tensing slightly but she couldn’t do anything to stop what was coming. “Way I figure it these belong to you.”

With the force of a tidal wave slamming into the beach memories that weren’t her own were flooding her mind. Agony unlike any she’d ever know raced along her body, scorching nerves with brutal heat. Gasping, screaming out she could feel every inch of her body being abused, sliced, drained, she could feel the scalpels that traced over her skin, feel the scorching of hot metal on her bones.

Suddenly the silence of her mind was shattered with the angry, snarling, taunts and barrage of insults from men in uniform. The screams of agony of pain, the sound of a voice begging for mercy oozed into each crevice in her mind taking up all the space that had been freed with the dismantling of her shields until all she was aware of was the nightmare of being in the lab, of being treated as an object and the sensation of being unclean.


“It’s done.” Jubilee whispered tiredly a hand to her head. For the first time in a long time she didn’t hear the whispers of her memories. Didn’t feel the icy grip of Iceman’s hands on her body. Instead it felt like the slate of her mind had been wiped clean.

“How are you feeling?” Tank asked softly.

“Tired. Almost as stired as Rogue and Kitty. Was it enough?” She glanced from Tank to scott. “Do you think it’ll be enough?”

Glancing at Charles then at Jean who lay trembling on the gurney the men shrugged. “Time will tell.”

“I’ve done what I could…”Charles started.

“And we’re grateful. However we aren’t about to let you just walk out of here. When the time is right we’ll release you.” Scott replied. “Once we make sure that Jean isn’t going to wake up with her guards in place and ready to destroy us for something we didn’t do or rather did.”

Charles sighed and glanced at them. None looked guilty or in a rush to uphold their end of the deal and he wondered about it. Breathing carefully he did a surface scan of those in the room and realized that indeed they planned on releasing them. They would be home if the women faced the team together, if they found them innocent of any and all imagined wrongs. Charles would have to do some serious talking to get things back to where they could all live on the same continent without killing one another.

Glancing at Jean who lay on the bed trembling her body covered in a fine sheen of sweat, her bearing one of pain he knew he’d done the right thing. He couldn’t find it within him to feel guilty for helping to stop a woman who relished the pain inflicted upon others beneath her.

He only wondered how long until the trio of women would feel up to meeting with them. Glancing at Jubilee who was smiling at the walking wall with a secretive, loving look even as she held her stomach he felt a chill go through him. It looked like it might be a long wait.



The hard floor of her cell was a welcomed thing as Jean rocked back and forth, clawing at her mind to stop the images being played out in her mind’s eye. With every picture of the horror that Jubilee had to endure the pain increased until Jean’s world was a mass of jumbled images and sounds.

Sobbing silently she could smell the stench of urine and semen, could feel the hard brutal penetration of a foreign object into every orifice. With hands that trembled she cupped herself, hoping to ease the agony of being ripped into pieces. Swimming in pain she could feel her own pride, feel the agony of having her womb ripped from her body.

She felt the sting of the pricks of needles into Rogue’s body. Could feel the horror of having her body and mind desecrated. Like the annoyance of a buzzing insect the sound of Rogue’s insane laughter wafted through her mind.

Laughing herself Jean rocked harder, longer…maybe just maybe if she rocked enough she could make the pain, the shame go away and she could have her mind back. Some part of her knew though that her mind was no longer her own. That what had made her who she was had been taken from her and she wondered idly if she could survive this.
Chapter 65 by Shadowlady
Rogue frowned at the pale expanse of a wall. It had been two days since Jubilee had given Jean the memories that haunted them. Two days of waiting and watching…listening to quiet conversations that somehow hurt even more than knowing what had happened in the basement holding area.

“Wishing you’d been there?” Logan’s soft growl had her whirling to face him a slight smile gracing her face.

“Yeah. It feels like there’s something missing. Something I should be doing.”

Logan shrugged and moved over to stand beside her. “You’ve done more than most. You’ve stood strong in the face of the adversity. You’ve kept your dignity, and your pride in tact and you’ve helped Jubilee and Kitty do likewise.”

“But I didn’t punish Jean. This wouldn’t have happened if it hadn’t been because of me.”

Logan sighed. “I think it would have. She wanted to have power, wanted to be the center of attention and nothing you said or did could change that. The only difference is that you got caught in the middle of her lust. She knew she couldn’t have what she wanted so she figured by removing you she’d get it. Don’t work that way.”

Rogue sighed. “Perhaps.”

“Hey. If you hadn’t been there I’d have never went back. I wasn’t going back for them…I was going back for you.”

Rogue nodded. “Am I ever gonna get over this guilt? It feels like a weight dragging me down and I don’t know how to stop myself.”

Logan pulled into his arms. “If I have anything to say about it. Now then I happen to know that the tribunal is first thing in the morning so what do you say we get a good nights sleep?”

Giggling Rogue nodded. “Define good nights sleep.”

“At least three hours.” Logan teased her gently.

“After the tribunal Jubilee and Kitty and I want to have a no men discussion.” Rogue admitted softly as she followed Logan down the hall to their bedroom. “A discussion about what we want, where we want to be. Can you accept that?”

Logan paused. Whatever he said now could either build or destroy Rogue’s faith in herself. “As long as you’re prepared to have me in your life in some sense yeah. I may not like it, I may resent it like hell but I’ll accept it.”

“Good. Because you, Scott, and Tank are going to have to start remodeling the spare room. Make it into a three way nursery.”

With a groan Logan ushered her into their room. “Tomorrow. Right now we’ve got better things to think of, to do.”

“Yeah? Tell me more.” Rogue giggled as Logan stripped the pale cotton dress she wore from her body.

“I’d rather show you.”



Glancing up at the sudden and unannounced opening of the door Charles, Storm, Hank, and Piotr stared at the elegantly dressed women standing in the open doorway.

“Good morning.” Rogue declared with an easy smile and moved into the room. Dressed similarly to Jubilee and Kitty in a dark pantsuit she looked calm, in control, an unfamiliar steely resolve settled upon her shoulders.

“Good morning Rogue.” Charles greeted her calmly. “How are you doing?”

Rogue smiled slightly, disbelief in her eyes. “Let’s not play with idle chitchat.”

“Okay.” Charles drawled. “What do you want?”

“Penance.” Kitty replied. “Your debt is being called in.”

“My debt?” Charles eyed the trio of girls. None looked like they would be swayed by words, or by actions. No they all looked unified and stronger than he’d have ever believed them capable of being. Separated they would be weaker, more likely to fall prey to their fears but together…together they were a solid, strong entity.

“Yeah your debt. You forgot us, left us in that place and for what? For your precious Jean? For what you thought you could get out of it?” Kitty snarled angrily. “We’re worth more than that. We’re worth more than your cause, more than your precious school and you left us behind. You treated us worse than an old pair of shoes and you owe us an apology.”

Charles nodded slowly, he didn’t trust this situation even as his gaze fell upon Rogue who eyed him with indifference. “Rogue what do you have to say? Do you agree with her?”

“She has a name.” Rogue replied coldly. “And yes I do.”

Charles nodded quickly, calmly.

“I’m sorry Rogue, I’m sorry that what happened still haunts you.” Storm whispered softly. “That we left you three to the wolves without a thought. We treated you abominably and there’s no excuse for that. There is no way we can give you back what was stolen from you and we can offer words but they aren’t hardly enough.”

Rogue shrugged and glanced at Jubilee who looked beyond furious. Her face bore the icy rage that lingered in their lives. Prone to acts of violence against themselves it was something they’d hid from the men and children around them.

Even now Jubilee’s arms bore the marks of the blades she’d trailed across them. It was so clear that she longed to bleed away the poison that still coursed through her body. Pushing the memories into Jean hadn’t made that pain disappear; it hadn’t stopped her from remembering, from feeling the pain of her captivity. Nothing would ever do that, not an apology, not Jean’s growing insanity, not a river of blood…nothing.

Listening to Kitty’s furious voice Rogue shifted, they all had so much more than what Jean and Xavier had wanted for them. They had friends, family, a cause, a reason to live. More importantly though they had the strength to walk away and when it was all said and done that was what was important.

“You know,” Rogue interrupted Kitty smoothly. “It strikes me that we’re missing part of the guilty party here. Jean should be here to take part in this tribunal. She owes us more than she can ever repay and she should know it.”

“And you don’t think that corrupting her mind is enough?” Charles demanded.

Rogue looked at him steadily before walking over to stand over him, one eyebrow raised in an eerily familiar expression. “No I don’t. You want to know what I think. I’ll tell you. I think about the drugs they pushed into my body. I think about the urine, the blood, the semen that soaked my skin, my clothes, and my hair every day. I think about the sounds of my friends screams of agony, the sounds of them begging for mercy from people that had none. Jean may be suffering right now but she has no idea what it feels like to know that you’re worthless. Destroying her mind won’t teach her that.”

“So what are you going to do?” Storm whispered fearfully.

Rogue smiled, a cold, manically expression. “Pass judgment.”

“You’ve already tortured her, marked her for life and destroyed her mind with the horrors you’ve all endured. Don’t you think that’s enough?” Charles demanded.

“Do you? If she could she’d kill me right now, and while I’m laying there bleeding out she’d fuck Logan just to spite me. I’m going to give her a taste of her own medicine. She wants to play God lets see if she can handle it. I’m not nearly as sympathetic to her as you are. I have more to fight for than just my pride.” Rogue replied and stalked out of the room leaving Jubilee and Kitty to smirk at Charles.

“What’s she going to do?” Charles demanded. “Jean is hardly a threat now.”

Kitty shrugged and giggled before glancing back at the man sitting on the floor. “She’s going to destroy what’s left of her.”

“How?”

“I do hope you brought some proper attire. Black leather isn’t really suitable for a wedding.” Jubilee snapped as she followed Kitty out of the door. “After all we’re human to.”

Sharing a glance amongst themselves Charles and his team wondered just what would happen within the bowels of their prison in the coming days.
Chapter 66 by Shadowlady
The warmth of the sun seemed out of place upon their faces as the X-Men were settled into a row of chairs. Only the smug grin of the woman currently eying them told them that not all was as it appeared. A moment later the sound of a chain rattling in the air had them exchanging glances.

“Is this really necessary?” Charles asked softly as he eyed the chain around looped through his ankle restraints. “I mean I can’t walk.”

“No but they can.” Tank drawled nodding at the others. “This way if you so much as twitch in the wrong way you’re gonna all be in serious trouble.”

“I swear Rogue’s getting worse.” Jubilee giggled as she approached the group and ran a hand over Tank’s chest. “Poor Logan.”

“What’s she doing now?”

“Debating the color scheme of the nursery. Says that a rainbow look is not appropriate.”

Tank shook his head. “You did remind her that we had planned on painting it in a neutral color?”

“Of course. Personally I think she’s just talking about the nursery because she’s hesitant about this wedding. Jitters.”

Tank shook his head. How’s Kitty holding up?”

“Like a pro. She’s currently putting the finishing touches on her makeup and is very excited. Something about the wedding of her dreams.”

“Thank you for letting us come.” Storm interrupted softly. “I realize this is some sort of statement but still to be included…”

Jubilee shook her head. “If I had my way you’d all be in the cells still. The only reason you’re above ground is because we try to teach our kids about not making snap judgments and letting go of hatred. Keep your mouths shut, a smile on your face and you’ll be fine.”

“And Jean?” Charles asked quickly.

Jubilee giggled and nodded toward a shrouded figure was being hustled along the aisle.

The pained hiss that came from behind the sheer veil told them it was Jean and they watched as Jubilee secured Jean into place with ankle and wrist restraints. The sun caught the edge of the collar around the doctor’s neck and Charles glared at Jubilee for a moment before keeping his mouth shut.

Maybe if they were placated enough by this presentation of normalcy they’d release him and his team. He hoped so because he had a school to run, and mutants out there to protect, to save.



Despite the painkillers racing through her body Jean ached everywhere. There wasn’t a muscle, a blood cell, a nucleolus that didn’t hurt. Hearing the familiar strains of a string instrument she glanced around and spotted a young woman standing in a flowing gown of blue beside a large harp.

A moment later the shadows that passed beside her drew her attention and she stared at Logan and Scott who were both dressed in similarly fashion. Scott wore a full black and white tuxedo while Logan was dressed in a black button down shirt, black jeans that had been pressed and his boots.

Both stared down the strip of pale silk toward the house that they’d come from as the sounds of the wedding march began. Turning as much as she could she stared at the two women walking down the aisle toward the men waiting for them.

Kitty looked stunning in a flowing gown of white. Her dark hair pulled up and away from her face, decorated with flowers. A delicate choker wrapped around her throat, and the faint but distinct lines indicated the scars she still wore.

Catching her eyes Jean swallowed at the victory and the love in them. She had to do something had to stop this or she’d never regain…

~Don’t even think about it.~ Charles’ voice popped into her mind. ~We’re trying to get home Jean, not make the situation worse.~

~But he’s mine!~ Jean cried out in her mind.

~No he isn’t.~

Staring at Scott Jean swallowed the rising nausea in her throat. There was no room in Scott’s gaze for her. There was no room for her in his life any longer. Everything she’d ever had, everything she’d believed she would always have with him was gone.

Jean noted the smile on Scott’s face and shifted. He’d never had that soft, loving look upon his face for her. There was nothing but warmth, love, adoration, trust, and a healthy dose of sexual need in that look. There was nothing that spoke of the responsibilities, the strain they’d suffered through.

A barely audible growl drew her from her appraisal and she glanced at Logan who looked ready to race over and grab Rogue. The lust on his face was hard, and yet there was tenderness there. There was something that he’d never shown towards her, a hint of power and something else…something that Jean had dreamt about but never experienced.

Shivering at the wave of memories, of sensations that skittered across her skin like an insect Jean struggled to control them even as she struggled with the effects of the drugs. She knew what was wrong now. Dimly listening to the sounds of the two men she’d wanted promising to love, honor, and cherish another she felt the last piece of her humanity fall away.

She had no strength left, nothing to fight the girls with any longer. They’d taken everything she’d ever worked for, everything she’d ever wanted from her and left her with nothing…not even her own mind.


The celebration buzzed around Jean who remained silent, distant as the day passed. When Tank appeared to ‘escort’ her and the others back into their cells she barely struggled. Instead she focused on keeping her skin from crawling, from the fading effects of the sedative she’d had.


Watching Jean carefully Storm sighed and moved over to Charles. “How do we finish this?”

“We don’t. We have to let them.” Charles replied glancing at the trio of young women sharing their celebrations with ease. Even Scott and Logan seemed more at ease, more relaxed than any other time he’d seen them.

The door of their cell loomed large as Tank all but pushed them along. When he dug out the key Charles glanced at him from his chair. “Is this over?’

“You tell me?” Tank drawled. “You think that because your precious Dr. Grey’s mind is gone that all is forgiven? I don’t know. That’s not my call.”

Storm let the others go in before her before she glanced at the tall, muscular man standing on guard against them. “Thank you.”

“For what?”

Storm glanced down at her shoes before eying him. “For saving me. You didn’t have to but you chose to. That makes you the bigger man…no pun intended.”

Tank shrugged. “Tell it to my girls. If it wasn’t for Rogue you’d still be there.”

Storm nodded and stepped inside. The sound of the lock turning in the door was loud in the silence and she stared at the trio who took up their usual positions against the wall. How much longer would they be here? How much more penance would Frankenstein need before she assumed the debt was settled?

Perhaps more importantly how much more was she, as a POW willing to give?
Chapter 67 by Shadowlady
Blinking at the sudden intrusion of bright light in the darkness Storm sat up and stared at the figure in the door. A glance around revealed that she was the only one being blinded. The others still slept soundly.

“What?” She started only to squeak out a protest when she was jerked unceremoniously to her feet and out of the cell. Struggling as the stranger dragged her away from her fellow X-Men she opened her mouth to scream only to find a hard hand clamped down over it.

“Don’t.” the low growl was slightly familiar, the voice tickled at a memory.

Shaking, terrified she followed where she was moved until she found herself plunked into a chair in the medical area. Staring across the desk at the tall, muscular man she’d heard Jubilee call Tank she wondered what was going on.

“So nice of you to join me.” Tank leaned back in his seat and stared at her.

“What’s going on? Why are you doing this to me? I mean you no harm I just want to go home.”

“Of course you do. And you will be shortly, but not today. You see it strikes me that your dear Professor doesn’t understand the deal completely. I’m hoping you can show him the light.”

“What do you mean?”

“we will let you go back to your little world. You can teach your kids, and save your mutants that you can use but if you put a team together, if you mobilize in any way that requires you to suit up then all deals are off and we will come down on you harder than a tonne of bricks. Understand?”

“Yes.”

“Good. You and your blue friend seem to have less tolerance for Dr. Grey’s actions than others. Why?”

Storm shrugged. “She left me to rot in that cell. She hates Hank because of his mutation, of his appearance, of a great many things. Why would I like her for that?”

“Indeed.” Tank stared at the platinum haired woman before him. “Just so you know there is no sympathy here for you or your team members. The girls have no idea what it is. They can’t know what it is.”

“So you’re blaming me for this. You’re planning on doing to me what you did to Jean?”

“No. I’m securing my future. I won’t allow those women to suffer any more than they have. It’s taken them months, years to overcome the hell they’ve endured and Xavier and his team’s involvement has only added to the misery and strife they’ve endured. This is the option for you. Go home forget about us and make sure he forgets as well. If he doesn’t you won’t be dealing with three girls. You’ll be dealing with Wolverine, Cyclops, and myself and we’re no lightweights.”

Storm nodded and rose to her feet. “I understand. Tell the girls I’m sorry. I never wanted them to have to suffer like that…I guess I just forgot about the bigger picture for a while.”

“No. The bigger picture was never the problem.” Tank drawled coldly. “You forgot the pieces that made it up.”

Watching the giant rise and stalk out of the room Storm shivered, suddenly glad that she didn’t know exactly what had happened to her in that place.


“How’s it going?” Logan glanced at Tank from where he stood by the kitchen sink. The pale glow of the moon streaked across the counter, cascading onto the floor a silent witness to the plotting of the two men.

“How are we going to keep an eye on them? You and I both know he’ll have a new team put together quicker than Rogue can get you naked.”

Logan grinned and shrugged, “She is fast isn’t she?” Sobering he shrugged. “We need to make him understand that there are consequences.”

“Maybe your Mom could help out. She’s always willing to help out.”

Logan sent a telling look at Tank. “What’s Helen Creed gonna do that we can’t?”

Tank chuckled. “She’s not as tolerant and as honorable as you might assume. The drugs will take affect within the next six to eight hours Logan. You don’t have a lot of time.”

“I know it just I’d like to rip him apart limb from limb. Look at what he’s done. I see it every day; I can smell it on the girls most mornings. They still have nightmares, are still haunted by the destruction of their identities.”

“Which is why it’s even more important than ever to stop him before he can assemble another team Logan, you know that. Helen would be able to do that without it appearing to stir the pot as it were.”

“Send ‘em back to New York. I’ll call Helen.”

“Then go to bed. Your wife’s probably wondering what the hell happened to you.” Tank ordered and disappeared out into the darkened hallway.

Logan grabbed for the cordless phone and punched in the familiar number. He hated asking for anything but if it meant that Rogue could sleep at night without worrying then by God he’d do it.


“Creed Inc. Val speaking how may I help you?” The soft, sultry voice echoed over the wires.

“I need to talk to Helen.” Logan grunted.

“Oh hello Logan. Just a moment and I’ll get her.”

“Thanks.”

“Helen here.”

“Yeah I need a favor.”

Like warm, soothing water the warm laughter filled the phone receiver. “What do you need Logan?”

“We’re sending Xavier back to New York but we need some help. Need to make sure that he doesn’t assemble another team.”

“I can ensure that. I’ll handle it personally. How are the girls doing? I haven’t heard anything in a while…”

“Good. Still struggling with some things but they’re healing. I’m hoping this is the last stitch in that wound.”

“And you? How are you doing? I’ve seen the way you look at her, the way you stick so close. You must be going insane with being so stationary.”

“She’s here.” Logan grunted. “She’s freedom enough.”

“Leave Xavier to me Logan. Goodnight.”

“Yeah.” Logan hung up quickly and headed for the stairwell. He had a wife to snuggle up to and a life to start living. He wouldn’t count on anyone solving the problem of Xavier for him, oh no he’d keep his eyes and ears open. The first inkling of a problem and he’d be down there and guttin’ the old bastard faster than anyone would ever believe.
Chapter 68 by Shadowlady
From the cold hard floor Warlok waited for the next wave of torment. Left alone with no light, no stimulation at all he could feel his mind slowly going insane. He relived every conversation, every action and reaction from that day in that dingy little hotel room.

He could see the fear in her eyes, see the hatred, the expectation and deep inside he knew he could have stopped it. He could have let her go, could have let her have some dignity. Instead he’d followed Iceman’s lead, allowing the other X-Man to destroy whatever ground that young woman had gained.

Like a sick, twisted picture show the image of her body flitted through his mind. Each scar, each rip, each burn, each mark of torment. Even her eyes bore the marks of the depraved.

He’d known deep in her soul what her fear was, what would harm worse than a blade, worse than the rape. It was the isolation, the loss of freedom, the caged in feeling of being tied up. It was that more than any fear of her that he’d suggested it and it had worked. She hadn’t fought, hadn’t screamed, hadn’t struggled…and that sickened him.

“Come on asshole.” The low, furious tone had him glancing up to see the dark eyes of a young man. “The tribunal’s ready.”

“So soon?” Warlok murmured climbing to his feet shakily. Despite the sensory depravation he’d been treated well, three square meals, a warm blanket for the nights, no brutal beatings. Standing still he waited until the locks clicked into place around the restraints on his wrists before following his escort out into the long, boring grey corridor.

After a long walk, one that seemed to get longer each time he made it he was ushered into the cold, impersonal chambers and shoved into a chair. Sitting before him were three women and two men, all dressed in flowing black robes.

“It’s my understanding that Mrs. Creed has a statement for the tribunal?” The red-headed judge glanced up from the file folder before her.

“Yes Mistress.” The guard bowed slightly. “I’ll bring her in.”

“Very good.”

Warlok turned slightly in his chair and watched the doors open. From the corridor he could see a shadow moving and gasped as a tall, dark haired woman stepped into the room. The long curls were lifted away from her face, a face that bore a startling resemblance to the man Jean Grey had called Wolverine. Hazel eyes filled with icy rage fell upon him before moving to the panel.

“Aw Mrs. Creed how nice to see you again. It’s always a pleasure to have you in our court room.”

“Thank you Honorable Monkton.”

“Its our understanding that you have a victim impact statement to read to us?”

“Yes.”

“Please continue.”

“Miss Lee was one of three young women held for nearly a year in a laboratory in Western Canada. When she came to us she was hostile to the extreme. Any attempt to make physical contact was met with brutal rejection. One of my own team was badly hurt with her sparks. It took weeks, months for her to over come her natural and quite understandable distrust of him. I watched her recovery and she made amazing progress. So much progress that she felt that she could handle leaving my facility and went with Mrs. Creed, Mrs. Summers, their husbands, and Dr. Tank to create and maintain a safe house for young mutants.” Helen explained. “During a trip into town with two of the young people this person and another man took it upon themselves to kidnap Miss Lee. During her subsequent captivity they assaulted her repeatedly.”

“Considering what they did to Bobby…” Warlok interrupted.

“Silence or I will have you gagged!” the judge snapped. “Continue please.”

“I’ve spoken to Dr. Tank and it took weeks for Miss Lee to recover to any degree. She still has nightmares, as well as she contracted a rather potent STD that was able to be treated. She has shown indications of self-harm though because of the nightmares and the trauma of being raped again. It is Dr. Tank’s professional opinion that she may never truly recover. There are indications that she’s retreated to where she was during the early part of her treatment at my facility. He fears for her mental and physical wellbeing. I’ve also spoken to Mrs. Creed and Mrs. Summers and they both have expressed similar thoughts.”

“Are you saying that she may never be normal again?”

“The even has scarred her in ways that we will never really understand. It has forced her to confront demons from the time she spent as an entertainment icon in the labs. In my opinion the attack suffered at his hands has set her recovery back years.”

“Thank you Mrs. Creed. Do you have anything you’d like to add?”

“I believe that the team has reached a decision in regards to Xavier and his team. I will have any and all documentation available to you as soon as I can.”

“Thank you.”

Helen nodded and shot the man staring back at her a hard, cold glare. He deserved the same fate as Jean Grey had gotten but that wasn’t her call. Turning she stalked out of the court room and headed for her car. She had a plane to catch.

“The prisoner will rise to his feet.” The lead judge ordered and glared at him. “It is in the opinion of this court that your actions were more befitting of an animal than a man. You purposely set out to destroy the fragile mindset of a young woman you know had been abused. Do you have anything to say for yourself?”

“I feel bad about what happened but I’m not about to accept the blame. She knew what was coming and she knew she could’ve fought us…”

“So unwilling to accept the blame for your own actions. Next you’ll be trying to convince us that she asked to be captured, experimented upon, and abused in such a manner. No, I do not believe that. It’s the judgment of the court that you spend the remainder of your life in custody. Personally I’d just kill you and let that be the end but my associated disagree on that analysis. You are to be remanded in custody at Elk Hump Maximum Security Prison for the remainder of your natural born life. You’re gifts will be permanently negated by the implantation of a repressor chip. This court is adjourned.”

Warlok sat in silence, stunned beyond belief. To lose both his gifts and his freedom? It was too much for the crime and yet he couldn’t object, couldn’t risk a greater punishment by protesting. His only hope was that Xavier would come to his aid. That the telepath would be able to reduce his sentence or something, it was his only option left..



Jean sat in silence as she watched Scott stalking away from her. He’d come to bring her the nightly meal and that was it. There had been no kindness, no warmth in his voice or expression rather he set the plate on the floor and ignored her.

Still a handsome, charismatic man she felt the old familiar lust for him tickling at her but the more recent, harsher memories associated with lust kicked in making her wretch in horror.

It had hurt to watch her former fiancé marry another woman, a girl who carried more scars than any two people. It hurt to know that Scott had given that girl something he’d never been willing to give to her. Even the hostility that seemed to float between Logan and Scott had vanished. There was no bickering, no painful barb, nothing but a steady, almost equal friendship between them.

Closing her eyes Jean laid down and immediately felt the wash of pain that she was growing to expect washing over her. She hated them all, hated them for what they’d stolen from her and she wanted revenge but she knew she couldn’t get it. Her mind was no longer her own, her body was an alien, foreign thing to her and she couldn’t make herself feel anything that resembled a connection to it. With a soft sigh she let sleep come…even the nightmares that haunted her sleep were better than the agony and the pain of knowing she should have more of a grasp on the reality around her than she did have.
Chapter 69 by Shadowlady
Slowly wheeling through the hallways of the mansion Charles listened to the silence of the night. He’d awakened in his room confused, cold, and alone. Now he had to deal with the startling consequences.

Hank, Ororo, and Piotr were withdrawn, seeming to need some distance between themselves and him. They worked hard to teach the students what they needed to learn but beyond that…the easy, familiar camaraderie that had been present in his team was gone. Instead there was only a professional tolerance.

“Good evening Charles.” Jean’s soft whisper drew his attention to the woman standing in the shadows.

He felt bad about what had happened to her. She wore the scars inflicted upon her by Frankenstein when she shouldn’t have to. In the weeks they’d been home he’d spent hours with her, helping her to build better blocks in her mind to help keep the memories from destroying her mind completely. Still he knew she would never be the same. The skills she’d employed on his team were gone, destroyed by the callousness of a young girl in her spite.

“Hello Jean. How are you this evening?”

Jean shrugged and moved through the shadows. She spent most of her time in the lab, away from the prying eyes of the children. She couldn’t handle their stares, their speculation about what had happened to her. She could feel the old, familiar sting of resentment toward Rogue and her friends for a moment before it was flooded by the wave of terror and shame that such thinking often brought her.

“I finished the files. I contact Dr. Bentson.”

“Yes? How did that go?”

“He said he’d see me as soon as possible. That in such a case it was best to get the wound early.” Jean explained. “I’ve made the appointment for tomorrow.”

“It’ll be nice to have you back with us in the classes Jean.”

“Yes, I do enjoy teaching.”

Rolling into his office Charles eased toward his desk. As was so often of late the darkness around him made him uneasy, fearful. Still he refused to bow to the whims of a bunch of spoilt brats. Granted what had happened to them was horrible but still to inflict that sorta of thing upon someone else who was a friend without a thought was beyond redemption in his mind.

“The students do miss you.”

“I wish to rejoin the school in a medical capacity if I may as well.”

“Jean…”

“I know I’ve got some limitations but I don’t mean surgery, just helping with diagnosis, treatments of minor wounds. I feel I’ve healed enough for that at least.”

“Of course. Perhaps next week?”

“That would be okay.”

The low, sarcastic snort from the corner had both turning sharply to stare at the dark haired woman sitting in the glare of a lamp. Her dark hair fell over black silk robes, cold, bitter hazel eyes stared at them, and her leather encased hands were folded in her lap.

“Who are you and how did you get in here?” Charles demanded angrily.

“I’m someone you don’t want to piss off Chuck. I see you haven’t really been holding your end of the deal up.”

“What do you mean?”

“Helping the enemy as it were.” The woman rose to her feet and began stalking them. Each step was carefully measured, relaxed, and smooth like a big cat’s stride. “You should know better. Do you think they won’t destroy you?”

“I think that they’d be wise to forget about us.” Charles replied stiffly.

“Yes I’m sure you do. After all if they don’t remember you then anything you do to clear your conscience is okay. You’ve given her strength, blocks to prevent her from feeling the full force of Jubilations memories and for what?” The woman hissed. “I’ll tell you. Because you don’t object to what she did! You sit there and say oh she deserves to be punished, deserves to pay a pittance for her sins but you’re not willing to let her pay it in full!”

“How dare you? What they did was ten times worse…”

“Really? Lets compare shall we? You sold three innocent, untrained girls out to the army. You allowed them to be brutally raped, tortured, and experimented upon without a thought. What have they done? They killed one for raping one of their own, sent the other to prison, and attempted to destroy a mind bent on destruction. Not to mention rescuing one of your precious team members and bringing her home. They could have killed all of you without a thought, without any remorse and yet they let you go. They let you return to your lives in the hopes that it would give them back what you stole away! I’d say you’re the greater evil.”

“It was necessary! The risks were important there was a child…” Charles snapped watching Jean fidget. “The bigger picture…”

“The bigger picture huh?” She nodded. “Let me tell you what the bigger picture is. The cause has become so important to you, so much more important than those around you that you’ve forgotten what you’re fighting for. I’ve seen what you’re trying so desperately to do. I’ve heard the screams, seen the scars, and I will do whatever I have to stop you. I’m not Frankenstein…I’m much more subtle and I’m willing to hit you where it hurts.”

“What are you saying?” Jean demanded softly.

“If you want to continue as you have been. If you want to keep teaching these children, keep your lives intact then you heed my warning. I will destroy you from the ground up. I will take away the school, your reputation, your very values and I’ll do it with such ruthless precision you’ll wish Frankenstein was here killing you.”

“How can you even…?”

“Because, you tried to destroy my family. My son is more important to me than your cause and now that he’s got a family of his own to protect I’m even more determined to maintain your status quo.”

“So we be good little mutants and you’ll leave us alone?” Jean demanded.

“Pretty much. If not I’d be more than happy to demonstrate my ability to destroy life.”

Charles stared at her for a moment then seemed to wilt in his chair. His dream was dying and there was nothing he could do to stop it. “I’m not going to sacrifice the innocent lives that I assist…”

“Until the next time huh? Just remember Chuck you’ve got two sets of eyes upon you and neither is very forgiving. You piss Logan off he’ll hack you to bits, you piss me off and you’ll spend the rest of your life trying to rebuild your soul!”

Both Charles and Jean jumped at the slam of the door before sharing a glance. Neither doubted for a moment that the threat was real…both however refused to acknowledge their place in the situation.
Chapter 70 by Shadowlady
From her seat at the faculty table Ororo watched the students around her. They all seemed to take the absence of their professors without a thought. For them in the innocence life had gone on. How she wished it was the same for her.

She was exhausted both mentally and physically. Her nights were spent tossing and turning in the vague hopes of getting a few hours of uninterrupted sleep. When sleep came though new demons plagued her. Her dreams were filled with ghosts, with images that were horrid and terrifying.

The situation had given her a new understanding of Logan’s bad moods and the way he fought the nightmares. If what he dreamt was even a sliver as terrifying as what she did than he’d fully earned the right to be a gruff, hard tempered person.

Her shoulders sagged as she realized that what she dreamt though had nothing on what Jubilee or Kitty dreamt. Unlike her their minds were clear, their memories clear and in a twisted, sick way pristine. Each torment, each degradation was scorched into their souls, into their minds eyes in brilliant color.

“You look pensive.” Hank’s soft voice had her glancing up and smiling tiredly at him.

“Exhausted is more like it.” She replied.

“Jean’s back from the plastic surgeon.”

“And?”

“He did an amazing job on the brand. There isn’t anything that can be done about her eye though.”

Ororo glanced at the door as she saw a familiar figure coming through it. She stared hard. Dressed in her designer suits, heels, and jewelry Jean strode through the room with her head held high. The scars that had once crossed her face were gone. She’d obviously had surgery from the bandages still in place but the mark of Frankenstein was gone. The only indication of what had happened was the discoloration in her eye, but even that was disguised by a blue contact. Jean was back to looking as beautiful as ever.

Jean settled into her customary chair and reached for her coffee. Casting a look at ‘Ro and Hank she raised an eyebrow as her chin came up a notch or two. “Something you have to say?”

‘Ro shook her head and glared at her. “You went through with it didn’t you?”

“The surgery? Yes of course. You couldn’t possibly expect me to walk around with that horrid scar. A few more days and I’ll have the memories under control…”

“Excuse me.” Hank rose from the table with barely leashed hostility. “I’ve lost my appetite.”

“Don’t be so childish!”

Hank glared at her for a moment before bowing slightly. “I much prefer scorched pasta and a tiny cell to sitting at the same table in a large cafeteria with you! Ororo.”

With a slight smile ‘Ro watched him walk away before her gaze cut back to Jean. “You’re asking for trouble.”

“I hardly think so. As soon as I’m fully healed I’ll have my revenge. If you think that…”

“I think you’re gonna get us all killed.” Ororo murmured softly as Charles rolled into the room. “There are no easy outs. We’re to blame for them being the way they are and you’re still sitting there trying to think of ways to get rid of them. You haven’t learned a damn thing have you?”

“Learned enough to know that I can beat them.”

“All of them?” Ororo whispered as Charles took his place across from Jean. “Can you honestly say you can beat Frankenstein and the other faction they work with? Do you really think they’re going to let that happen?”

“I think you’re siding with the enemy.”

Ororo shifted in her chair and glared coldly at Jean. “The only enemy I see is the one sitting here at this table.”

“Please ladies. Lets at least try to…” Charles started.

“No lets not.” ‘Ro declared. “I’m sorry Charles but I don’t think punishing them further is going to make our lives any easier. This little idea the two of you have to pay them back for their trespasses is stupid and quite frankly is going to get someone killed.”

“We’ll discuss this later.” Charles said sharply.

“No we won’t.” Ororo demanded. “How much more blood do you want Charles?”

“This isn’t about…”

“Yes it is. Put it behind you before they pay for it. Forget about them and move on.” She glanced at Jean and smirked. “Scott and Logan aren’t coming back to fight over you. They don’t want you, they’d rather have Rogue and Kitty…two girls you think are beneath you!”

“Enough!” Charles glared at ‘Ro for a moment. “Jean is still healing and I won’t allow anything to disrupt the process.”

‘Ro shook her head and glared between them for a moment. “You won’t get the chance. If Frankenstein even thinks you’re upto something they’re gonna hit us hard and I don’t think you can handle that threat.”

“What are you saying?” Jean hissed.

‘Ro glanced between them and sighed. “I’m saying I’m going to side with Hank. He won’t fight them, he won’t risk innocent blood being spilt for pride…and neither will I. Good evening.”

Charles watched Ororo walk calmly out of the dining room amid the chatter of the students. The entire argument had taken place in hushed and reverent tones so the children were none the wiser but still the damage was obviously done.

Casting a glance at Jean he sighed and wondered idly what the risks were. Feeling the sudden chill in the air he glanced around for the new presence and froze in his chair. Standing with a chilly smirk on her face was a familiar woman. Her long robes brushed the floor, her arms crossed nonchalantly across her chest, she looked the picture of relaxation. Only the expression in her gaze told him she wasn’t.

~You’ve been a bad boy Wheels~ The voice echoed in his mind. ~I told you before I’d be watching you and I have been. Helping her to rebuild the walls in her mind is not part of the deal. Stop doing it or next time I come I start removing valuables.~

Charles tensed as the woman’s gaze darted to the children then back to him. He watched her straighten and slide back into the shadows with fear. He hadn’t even sensed her until she was practically on top of him…what did that say of her gift? What did that say of his?

Like a bolt of lightening it struck Charles that he had a choice before him. He could stop helping Jean or he could lose the children. He didn’t know which he could afford to lose without it destroying him.
Chapter 71 by Shadowlady
The single light above the door drew a grin from the driver of the four-by-four Chevy inching up the driveway. Parking the truck a tall, dark figure stepped out of it and walked up the front steps.

“Something you wanted?” The tone held no warmth, the threat running through it clear.

“Yeah.” Turning she grinned at the man standing eying her with barely leashed rage. “To see my son. Hello Logan.”

“Helen, what brings you out west?”

“Is the others awake?”

“No. The girls are still sleeping and I won’t wake them. They all need their sleep; pregnancy takes a lot out of you.”

Helen nodded slowly, hiding her shock at the conformation of what had only been a rumor before. Obviously they’d found a way to heal themselves to become pregnant. “Okay. We need to talk though. It’s important.”

“About what? We’re not fighting for anything now. We’ve got families, kids, things that…”

“He’s rebuilding her mind.” Helen interrupted and shivered at the low, furious snarl that escaped Logan’s frame. “She’s also had surgery to repair the damage to her face.”

“That rotten motherfucker.” Logan snarled. “I’m gonna rip him apart.”

“I have a better idea. I’d like to run it by you and the others if I may.”

“Scott and Tank are inside.” Logan opened the door and stepped inside. “Keep your voice down.”

“Yes sir.” Helen smiled at her son’s attitude and tone.

“Helen what a pleasant surprise.” Tank smiled at the older woman. “What brings you out here. The girls are still sleeping…”

“I’m not here for social pleasantries.” Helen said settling into a chair at the table and eying the three men before her. “We have a problem.”

“What kind of problem?” Scott demanded instantly on edge.

“He’s rebuilding her fucking mind.” Logan ground out his claws inching out and retracting with deadly intent. “Healing her.”

“That isn’t right. The deal…”

“Doesn’t matter. My source has indicated that there might not be a unified front within the Xavier ranks.” Helen leaned forward. “I know you, you’ll kill him, take away his life but to really make him suffer, really hit him where it hurts will take a special kind of revenge.”

“What do you suggest?” Tank demanded rising and pacing the kitchen. “I won’t risk Jubilee’s mental and physical health for them. Those three women have suffered enough at the hands of that monster and his little bitch!”

Helen shrugged. “Destroy his soul. I’ve arranged for several of my past contacts to become available under the radar again. Since he wants to protect her, wants to keep her around let him have her. I warned him, I gave them an ultimatum and it didn’t take so lets see what happens when he’s faced with the fact that he can’t control me, can’t control my word.”

“This isn’t your fight.” Logan snarled softly.

Helen looked at him steadily. “Yes it is Logan. You are my son, and she’s the daughter I never had. You’re expecting a child; you’ve made a life away from the darkness of that world. I will not allow anyone to take that from me, from you. I will protect what is mine to the death…”

“The girls can’t find out. IF they know they’ll want in.” Scott pointed out looking at Logan. “It’s taken a long time for Kitty to be comfortable in her skin, to see past the scars to the soul beneath them. I can’t run the risk of that being…”

“We can handle him.”

“I’ve already orchestrated the first step toward revenge. Do you have any extra room?” Helen asked softly.

“Extra room?”

A slow, snide grin crossed her face as she leaned back in her seat. “I gave him a choice Logan. Jean Grey or the children. He’s chosen Jean Grey…the children are mine now. I need a safe place to put some.”

“Of course we can help them.” Tank glanced at Logan. “That’s what we do isn’t it?”

“Take away his precious future warriors and leave him with nothing.” Logan sneered. “You really think that will work? You really believe that he’s gonna forget about us? Death is all that he has coming.”

“True.” Helen agreed. “But there’s nothing to say that he can’t suffer a bit first. Let me have this first crack. Death belongs to those who have earned it. Those three women asleep upstairs deserve to kill the monster that made them and they can’t do that right now. Not with babies on the way.”

Logan glanced out the window at the growing light. He knew that Helen Creed spoke the truth but he didn’t want to risk something happening and hurting Rogue. In the weeks since Xavier had disappeared from the house he’d watched her blossom into a woman comfortable within her own skin. The nightmares and the bloody showers had faded to a rarity and he didn’t want to awaken them again.

“When do we expect the first kids?”

“Next week too soon?” Helen asked.

“No. How many?”

“Seven. I’ll be taking nearly forty but I’m separating them into smaller, less noticeable groups. By the time I’m finished with him he’ll be lucky to have anything or anyone behind him.”

“I’ll ensure that there’s room.” Tank declared as he glanced between his two team mates. “I’d hoped this would have ended by now. I hoped that we could just move on.”

Helen shifted and glanced at the kitchen doorway before back at them. “You’ll get that chance. My team is very good at what we do and I promise I won’t let anyone take away what you’ve fought so hard to build.”

“Helen!” Rogue walked into the room a smile on her face. “When did you get in? Why didn’t someone come wake me up?”

“You need your rest.”

“I need a lot of things.” Rogue replied with a giggle as she moved over to Logan’s side. “Are you staying for a while?”

“Just passing through actually. Wanted to know if you would mind having a few more kids to watch over.”

“Did you find another of those horrible labs?”

“Something like that.” Helen rose to her feet. “I really must be off. I still have a couple of stops to make. Val’s on a spiritual retreat and I have to go pick her up. Don’t know why the woman won’t learn how to drive.”

“Oh admit it you love fussing over her. She’s your best friend.”

Helen gave Rogue a quick hug and met Logan’s gaze over her shoulder. “Yes she is. I’ll be around.”

Smiling as Helen left the room Rogue glanced at Logan noticing the hard, bitter look in his eyes a moment before it was carefully hid. “What’s going on Logan? Why the look?”

“It’s nothing darlin’.” Logan said softly pulling her into his embrace. He wouldn’t lose her to Xavier’s false word, he’d play it by ear for a while but if it looked like Jean and Xavier were getting too close he’d act. Nothing would stop him from protecting those who should have been protected, sheltered from the horrors of a lab.

With a hard glance at the other two men he saw the same resolve in their eyes. They had normalcy and they would kill before they let anyone steal it away from them.





From where she sat in the garden Storm watched as Hank and Piotr moved through the bountiful rosebushes. “Something on your mind?” She asked glancing at the tall blue-haired man approaching her.

“We have a spy amongst us.” Hank said softly. “Piotr saw one of the kids giving a tall dark haired woman some papers. The woman read them over and got this horrible, blood thirsty look upon her face. I overheard Charles and Jean discussing a woman who spoke directly to Charles’s mind. Apparently she was here shortly after we all were returned and she threatened to destroy Charles if he continued to assist Jean in her recovery.”

Storm frowned slightly as she absorbed the news. Someone out there had it in for Jean Grey and if they were willing to face Charles Xavier then they had to be pretty determined. But who could it be and what could the reason be?

“What do you think about this?” Piotr asked softly. “Dr. Grey’s been getting stronger since we came back. She’s healing the wounds, erasing the scars but I don’t trust her.”

“Neither do I. Who was it that you saw?” Storm frowned as a though occurred to her. Perhaps the child could be convinced to speak up if they could prove that they weren’t out to get revenge like Jean was.

“One of the new kids. I’ve only seen her twice though and she’s never in one place too long. A few seconds here, a few there.”

Hank tensed and shook his head. “I can smell Jean.” He whispered just loud enough to be heard. “Your roses are as beautiful as ever. You must be feeling better.”

“Indeed. My head feels clearer.” Storm replied as Jean suddenly walked into view.

“Plotting your own demises?” Jean remarked snidely.

“I see the scars are fading rapidly.” Storm pointed out coldly.

“Did you honestly think that I would keep them in place? Not hardly.” Jean glanced at the trio with disdain. “Just remember what they did to me, next time you meet up with Frankenstein you might not be so lucky.”

“I doubt that.” Storm rose to her feet and glared at Jean for a moment before shrugging indifferently. “The next time we meet up with them we won’t be fighting them. We’re neutral remember Jean? You’re the one with the problem with a bunch of girls who managed to steal both the men in your life away without a thought.”

“You little…” Jean snarled at her. “Just wait and see. I’m the one in control now, and I won’t let them get off so easily next time we meet.”

Watching Jean stalk off Storm shivered. “I’m really beginning to despise her.”

“Join the club.” Piotr said as he moved closer to Storm and Hank. “If it comes to it I’m with you.”

Storm glanced at Hank who nodded. They would have to find a way to let the enemy that wasn’t an enemy know they weren’t going to fight…without getting themselves killed in the process.
Chapter 72 by Shadowlady
Logan rolled his eyes at the incessant giggling coming from the den even as he walked silently down the hall. Scott had already arranged for several more beds to be added to the dorm and he was waiting for Helen Creed to drop of the new charges.

Catching a hint of her distinctive perfume Logan hurried toward the door even as he glanced behind him. The women had no idea why there were suddenly so many new children being dropped off, and he wanted to keep it that way.

“You’re late.” Logan grunted as he eyed the six small children standing there with Helen.
“You’re early.” Helen drawled and lifted a pair of suitcases. “These go with them.”

“Uh are you gonna keep us?” The small, hesitant question had Logan glancing down to a little girl with deep purple eyes and red hair.

“I think so. Come on in. The girls are busy with baby stuff or they’d come out to greet you.”

Helen eyed Logan. Despite the newest round of threats from Xavier he looked relaxed, at ease, she was certain that it was a deceptive calm. “I’ll forward the funds tomorrow. You shouldn’t have any problems with them.”

“I told you we don’t want your money.” Logan ground out softly.

Helen raised an eyebrow at him and shrugged, “So? I told you before Logan I help my family out. Like it or not we’re family and I’m gonna give you a hand.”

“Then deal with Xavier.”

Helen smiled and patted his cheek just as a pair of teenaged girls appeared in the yard.

“Cool!” One of them gaped at the children. “More kids. Hey come on you wanna help us?”

“With what?” the purple eyed girl demanded.

“We’re going to check out the new foals. We need some help with carrying carrots.”

The children looked amongst themselves and promptly deserted Logan and Helen. A moment later the giggles and shouts of young children echoed across the yard and disappeared around the corner of the barn.

“Those poor horses.”

“They’re used to it. How many more you figure on dropping on us?” Logan demanded curtly.

“None. I’ve removed all of the youngest children and will be hitting him hard tomorrow night. With any luck I won’t have to bring another child up here.”

“The kids are welcome. It’s your money that ain’t. I take care of mine.”

Helen nodded and smiled softly. “Then we understand each other. You’re my son and she’s my daughter. She’s carrying my grandchild that means I have the right to send you money.”

Logan grunted and turned. “She’ll be pissed if she don’t get to say hi. Remember not a word about Xavier.”

“I remember. I’m old but not that old.” Helen said as Logan stomped off. She knew it bothered him to accept hand outs but she couldn’t help it. She’d spent so long without him in her life that now that he was back she needed to be there for him, for his family.


“Hi Mom,” Rogue smiled softly at her from the doorway.

“Rogue how are you?”

“Very good. Logan seemed upset.”

“Pride.”

Rogue nodded and sobered at the slam of Logan’s office door. “How many does Xavier have left?”

“What do you mean?” Helen tensed slightly before forcing herself to relax.

“I have superior hearing Mom. You two can whisper all you want to but I’ve heard your conversations, I’ve heard the guys talking about what he’s doing and…”

“Don’t go troubling yourself Rogue. Logan didn’t tell you because of your delicate condition. If he knew…”

“I trust him with my life. I won’t allow him to be hurt by doing something foolish. I just want to know how much longer we have.”

“I don’t know. Things are in the works now that I’m not sure how they’re going to end up. I don’t think you should worry too much about it though. Creed Inc. can handle that problem.”

Rogue smiled sadly her hand resting on the swell of her abdomen. Logan found the evidence of her pregnancy enthralling and often spent hours just rubbing her stomach and right now she could use a little of that comfort. “Let us know if you can’t.”

“I give you my word Marie that I will not allow anything or anyone to disrupt the peace you’ve found. Besides there are those who are expendable and if needs be I’ll employ my nephew to do some dirty work. He does so enjoy bloodshed.”

Rogue grinned and stepped back. “Come on in we’re trying to pick out baby names.”

“Delighted. So has Tank told you what you’re having?”

“No. I haven’t asked for confirmation of the sex. I think Kitty knows though.”

“Helen!” Kitty and Jubilee grinned openly at the older woman. “We didn’t think you were coming.”

“Would I miss a chance to sit and gossip with my girls?” Helen asked with a chuckle and moved to sit next to Jubilee. “So are all of you pregnant?”

The trio looked at each other then grinned at Helen and nodded in unison. For the first time since she’d left Elk Hump days before Helen laughed and hugged the girls. She’d do whatever she had to so they could survive this…even if it meant the end of one embittered woman and a delusional old man.



Storm frowned as she assessed the group of students before her. The youngest students had all systematically been removed from the mansion grounds leaving only the older teens and those in training for the X-Men.

Catching sight of movement she turned to stare into the pale eyes of a dark haired girl who eyed her with a satisfied smirk on her face. Storm walked slowly toward the girl, noting the way she didn’t move, didn’t back down even from the implied threat of Storm’s power.

“You’re new here aren’t you?” Storm asked softly.

“You could say that.”

She shivered at the icy tone but refused to back away. “Are you on your way to class?”

The girl shook her head and met her gaze. “No. You think you’re pretty smart don’t you? You think that you’re gonna win but you won’t. You can’t.”

“What do you mean?”

“Take a look at the bigger picture.” The girl said and stepped past Storm. “Or not. Personally I don’t care, death comes to all of us at some point…it’s up to you to decide when and where your meeting is.”

“You’re the spy.” Storm whispered softly as the girl froze before glancing at her and shrugging. A moment later she had vanished into the crowd of kids, already playing ball with them easily.

“A problem?” Piotr asked softly.

“We need to figure out a way to let Logan know that we’re not going to fight him. I think Frankenstein’s the one who took the children.” Storm whispered already glancing around for Jean.

“She’s locked in the Professor’s office.” Piotr explained. “Hank’s watching for her.”

“You realize she’s gonna kill us don’t you?” Storm glanced at the young man who’d once been her pupil. “She’s gonna destroy everything in her bid to get back what she tossed aside.”

Piotr glanced at the other students before turning his attention to Storm. “Hank suggested we uh take the students on a field trip. There’s a major museum in Alberta, Drummheller or something and we could learn a bit about dinosaurs and evolution. What do you think?”

Storm blinked and shrugged suddenly chilled to the very bone. “I think it’s a good idea. I’ll start getting it organized. Be ready to leave when I get the necessary information.”

“We’ll be ready.” Piotr replied and moved away just as the back doors opened and Jean stepped out into the warm sunshine. He hated her with a passion, hated what she’d done to them, what she was still doing. It was a testament to her power that Charles hadn’t even blinked at the loss of all the children under the age of twelve. He wondered if anyone would notice the rest of the students disappearing. He prayed not.
Chapter 73 by Shadowlady
The low rumble of the bus barely disturbed the morning peace as it rolled to a stop in front of the massive statue of a dinosaur. The soft woosh of the doors opening heralded the arrival of the senior students a moment after Storm stepped off the bus.

Being so close to Frankenstein’s headquarters sent a chill of fear through her but she refused to cave in to its demands. They knew there was more danger back in New York than there was here.

“Okay you all have partners and assignments. We’ll be visiting for several days before we head into Calgary to visit the Western Culture Museum. Remember to keep together and do not allow yourselves to be manipulated into using your gifts.”

“Yes ma’am.” The chorus of voices drew a slight smile from Storm as Piotr and Hank joined her.

“Do you think this will work?” Piotr whispered softly as the kids hurried to do their first assignment of the day.

“Jean isn’t here.” Storm replied softly. “That’s reason enough for me to relax.”

“We’re awfully close to Logan and the girls. You think they’ll believe we’re not going to…”

“I don’t know.” Storm shrugged and looked at Piotr. “We have no choice. I won’t risk the kids’ safety for her gain.”

“The children are our paramount concern. Hopefully, they won’t come across the true purpose of our little visit to this place. Now then shall we join them?” Hank interrupted softly.

“Yes.” Following the two men Storm walked quickly into the massive dinosaur museum. She paused at the doors and turned to look over her shoulder to see a tall, dark haired man watching them closely. His long duster brushed the tops of his boots, and he carried a staff, a cowboy hat sat cockily atop his head and he grinned at her before vanishing quickly.

Shivering Storm hurried inside. Even here they were watched.



“Mrs. Creed?”

Helen glanced up at the soft, sultry greeting.

“Gabriel what a pleasant surprise.”

“Those ‘teachers’ you wanted me to find have been located.”

“Where?”

“Drumheller Alberta. They’re there with a large group of older children.”

“Any ideas on what they were doing?”

“The students are there to learn, the teachers are there to avoid Jean. Does that make any sense to you?”

“Perfect sense.” Helen smiled softly, seductively. “Contact Val tell her to assemble all the teams. We’re going out to play.”

A slight smirk crossed the man’s face before he vanished into the shadows as easily as a puff of smoke.

Taking out the cell she carried Helen punched in the now familiar number and listened to it ring.

“Hello Monster house, how can I help you?” The young voice greeted her easily.

Chuckling Helen stared out over the landscape. “Is Logan there?”

“Sure. Just a second and I’ll get him. LOGAN!” The increase in volume had her wincing slightly but she waited patiently for Logan to come on the line.

“Logan here.”

“They’re here.”

“Where?”

“Drumheller. Three of the teachers have the older children there. My sources tell me they’ll be out of the picture for a few days.”

“Are you mobilizing?”

“Yes. You coming?”

“Let me get the boys and we’ll join you. Where do you want to meet up?”

“Toronto okay with you?”

“When?”

“Tonight. Midnight.”

“We’ll be there.”

“I know you will be.” Helen whispered as the line went dead. She had no grand illusions about her son he could be a mean son of a bitch when the situation called for it and he had no qualms about killing those that had hurt his girl.



“Who was on the phone?” Rogue asked softly as she leaned against the doorjamb.

Turning Logan eyed his wife with a small smile. She glowed, the weariness that had plagued her so long seemed to have vanished and she was taking care to be a young woman. The events still marked her life, she didn’t trust easily, and was constantly on guard against attack when outside of the house but still she’d come a long way.

“Who was it Logan?”

“Helen.”

“What did she want?”

“They’re mobilizing the teams. The X-Men have the senior classes in Alberta and she wants to strike now.”

“You’re going?”

“I don’t have a choice.” Logan replied softly, everything in him screamed to kill the woman who’d done so much damage and he couldn’t back away from that.

Rogue nodded and walked toward him. She understood better than most what Logan was feeling; she knew he needed closure almost if not more than she did. For Logan there was no other way – it was ingrained within him. Wolverine would never allow his chosen mate to suffer and Logan had listened to his gut, to his instincts when it came to the events that had led to the current situation. “Do me a favor Logan.”

“I can’t let them…” Logan started forcefully only to be silenced by her fingers on his lips.

“Kill them and come home to me, to us. I want this over with. I want to live my life without worrying about her. They betrayed us and now we have to pick up the pieces.”

“What about the team in Alberta?”

“They have acted appropriately. Leave them be but Jean and Charles I want to suffer. I want them to know what it feels like to have your soul shredded. I love you, our baby loves you and I will do whatever I have to ta protect all of us.”

“You’re not mad that I’m taking the boys with me?”

Rogue smirked and raised an eyebrow at him. “Three is better than one. Besides Helen’s people are going to be there as well. When Charles Xavier realizes what he’s done it’ll be too late and he’ll be staring at the ruins of his precious dream.”

“I’d better get Scott and Tank. You’ll be safe here.”

“I know. Go, rescue us again. Then come home.” Rogue whispered as he walked away. “Logan. Don’t make me come get you.”

Logan grinned at her. “Wouldn’t dream of it babe.”

Rogue stood in the kitchen and watched the slow steady advance of the clock hands. She knew this had been coming, knew that Charles treasured Jean above all others but she’d hoped that this nightmare was over.

Hearing the soft sound of heels on the floor she glanced at the open doorway and smiled sadly at Kitty and Jubilee who stood there watching her. “What do you think?”

“I think we’re going to sit here and wait. After all the boys can handle this assignment.” Jubilee said moving to the coffee pot.

“So you’re just going to let him walk out the door?” Kitty huffed.

“Yes. Kitty we need a chance to live. We’re looking over our shoulders for a woman who should have learned to leave us alone a long time ago. I won’t do that anymore. Our babies deserve the chance to have a normal life!”

“Just so you know I wish we were going! I hate waiting.”

“Get really patient. Besides that you’re due within a week or so. If you go chasing after them you’re liable to go into labor and having a baby on the side of the road don’t sound like fun to me.”

“Spoilsport. So what do we do while we wait?”

“That’s easy.” Jubilee cracked a grin. “We go shopping!”

They laughed at the obvious attempt to dissipate the tension even as they realized that shopping wouldn’t take their minds off the problem. Nothing would except having their men home safely.



Killing the lights of the truck Logan glanced at the other two men in the vehicle before sliding out of the cab and into the warm night.

“Hey Creed, glad you could make it.” The masculine voice had them glancing at the tall duster encased figure standing in shadows. “She’s inside. We’re going over all the intel we’ve got.”

Logan nodded and headed into the small, nondescript brick building. Standing around a large table with maps lit up was Helen Creed and various others that were both familiar and complete strangers.

“Glad you could make it son,” Helen didn’t glance up from her appraisal of the maps. “We were just going over the entry.”

“You take into consideration that they’re both telepaths?”

“Yes.” Helen gestured to a small desk with several small, communications like devices. “They’ll block the telepathy and allow us to communicate without worry. They’re completely secured.”

“How long do you think this will take?” Scott asked. “Kitty’s due by week’s end.”

“We’ll have you home in time for your child’s birth Scott.” Helen grinned at him. “A bit battered maybe but you’ll be there. Now then since we’re all here I’ll make this quick. Creed Inc. this is Frankenstein’s muscle. Logan, Scott, and of course you know Tank. For those who aren’t familiar with the faction Frankenstein is a group of women who were sold out by the man and woman we’re currently plotting attack against. They spent months in a lab and endured a rather horrific amount of damage both mentally and physically. They’re skilled killers now but are all in the latter stages of pregnancy so they sent their men folk.”

“Glad to have you here.” Gabriel drawled.

“Okay now then onto the matter at hand. My insider has revealed that Charles spends a great deal of time in Cerebro which is located in the lower levels. Jean will be at any point so we need to get in and find them both as quickly as possible. We’re going to strike tomorrow night at 0100 hours. We’ll hit them silently, Tech that means you’re gonna have to neutralize their security system long enough to get all of us in. Say ninety seconds. Once we’re in the security will be of no concern. Remember, I do not want anyone to fall prey to their telepathy so use your blockers. I want them turned on high…if they’re powerful enough to rebuild a mind then they’re certainly powerful enough to destroy one.”

Helen glanced around. “Input? Questions?”

“What’s this?” Val asked pointing to a spot on the top map. “Are we using this as our entry point to the grounds?”

“Yes. There is no security there, no cameras or sensors so we’ll enter the property there. Once we’re inside Val you and your team will take the east side. Gabriel you and your team will take the west side. I’ll take the back entry on the North side. Tech you’ll go in from the room. Logan your team’ll take the front doors. We’ll synchronize our watches to attack and hit them hard and fast.”

“Collateral damage?”

“Minimal. The cleaning staff may be there, I want no one but Jean Grey and Charles Xavier taken. If you find them and can neutralize them to stand trial do so. If not then ensure that they will be of no risk to anyone. I want this to be clean, quiet, and fast. If you have doubts or concerns now is the time to bring them up.”

“What of the rest of his team?” Edward demanded. “The trio that’s in Canada.”

“To my knowledge they represent a small threat. We won’t bother with them at this point. Right now I want everyone to focus on this direct hit. We can always remove them at a later point.”

“Agreed.”

“Logan? Scott? Tank? Comments?”

“I want this settled now.” Logan ground out as he stared at the maps. Raising his gaze he met Helen’s eyes head on. “We’re not about to run from this but I’m not going to allow our girls to spend their nights in the throws of nightmares and terror that are awakened by every implied threat from down south. We neutralize them we do it for good. No trial, no good versus bad. He went back on his word and he’s gonna pay for that dearly.”

“We’re with him.” Tank nodded at Logan. “I’m not going to lay awake at night watching Jubilee scrubbing at her skin like it’s some sort of disease. She’s been through too much to allow them to have any more power.”

“Agreed. I’ve gotten all the equipment that will be needed and you have access to it. Feel free to take some time and discuss your plans with each other. Just remember that we must coordinate our moves so that we’re in harmony. I don’t want us getting in there and falling apart because everyone has a different goal in mind.”

Logan grunted his acknowledgement as he stared at the maps and graphics. He’d had enough of Jean Grey and her manipulations. She’d destroyed more lives than he could count. He wanted more than anything to run his claws through her heart, shredding her from the inside out. He would relish the feel of her blood upon his claws, the agony of her death would be welcomed after the agony Rogue, Kitty, and Jubilee still suffered!
Chapter 74 by Shadowlady
The dust and smoke that coated the windshield did little to alter Logan’s view of the mansion. It did nothing but make him angrier than he already was. The sligh cough from behind him had his eyes darting to the rearview to see Scott who looked pained.

With a heavy sigh he rolled the window down a couple of inches before puffing away on the cigar clenched in his teeth. The day’s light was fading and darkness would fall within a couple of hours. Once it had settled upon the mansion and it’s ground the team would make their move.

“Don’t kill her.” Scott muttered and rolled his eyes at the dark look shot his way. “Remember the point is to punish Xavier for his little lapse in judgement. You kill her without him watching and the plan’s shot.”

“Either way she still dies.”

“For what she’s done she deserves no less. Remember though that the girls wouldn’t want us to get hurt or killed. I won’t have Kitty coming down here…”

“Scott you’re being anal again.” Tank interjected quickly. “We’ll stick to the plan because we all have more to lose than she does. Jubilee hasn’t even slept in the same bed as me since they found out Jean was rebuilding her mind. She’s scared to death I’m going to be disgusted.”

“So when do you get laid?” Logan grunted.

“Don’t need a bed to have sex.” Tank replied. “And frankly I’m sick of having to find an upright position to get laid.”

“Quit complainin’ at least you’re getting some.” Logan grunted and glanced at Scott. “Some of us aren’t.”

“Hey you and Rogue broke the bed the night before we left…”

“Yeah but you’re sleeping in the den so what does that tell us?”

“Can we just focus on the mission?” Scott shook his head, completely comfortable with the teasing from his teammates. It was a way to ease the strain, the agony of knowing what the girls had endured, what they were still dealing with.

“Frankenstein you in position?” the static voice halted their conversation.

“In position.” Logan replied.

“Excellent. We’ve got four hours until contact. Don’t fall asleep.”

“How stupid does that woman think we are?” Logan grunted and took another puff of his cigar. “This isn’t the first time we’ve done this.”

“She’s just concerned because the number of people involved. You phone home earlier?”

“Yeah. It wasn’t good. They’re worried and scared.”

“We all are.” Tank replied softly and shifted. “Well if we’re waiting you mind if I close my eyes for a moment?”

“Not at all.” Logan stared at him. “After all your beauty sleep is so important.”

Tank chuckled but slid down in his seat. They would do this and then they’d go home.



“How do you think they’re doing?”

Rogue glanced over at Kitty who sat on the computer her head bowed, her fingers poised. “How do you want them to be doing?”

“I want them to win. I want my baby to be safe.”

Rising from the couch where she’d been sitting Rogue walked over to the other woman and rested a hand on her shoulder. “We’re only as safe as we want to be. Sometimes you have to fight for what you want.”

“It’s not like I can fight her. I’m due within a few days Rogue.”

Rogue nodded at the gentle reminder and rested one hand on her own distended abdomen. Their children were their greatest gifts, and they would fight to the death for them but they couldn’t fight what they couldn’t beat. She knew that, knew that they had to put their faith in the men in their lives. “It’s gonna be okay. No matter what happens Kitty we’re going to survive this, our children will grow up to be happy, healthy people with careers and families of their own.”

“And us?”

“We’re going to survive.” Rogue replied softly before leaving Kitty to her work. “Don’t be on that thing all day. You’re gonna go blind if you do.”

Kitty chuckled softly Rogue would do whatever it took to make sure they all came out on top. She put her faith in her friend and went back to work.



“Frankenstein time to move out. Be careful.”

Elbowing Tank to wake him Logan opened the door silent and slid out into the darkness of the night. The air was warm, scented with the sweet stench of flowers, and yet Logan felt an icy chill. Tonight was the beginning of the rest of their lives and they had to be successful.

“Be safe.” Tank whispered softly and grinned at Logan’s expression. “Something the girls always say.”

“Bring them into the Professor’s office. From there we can do our work.” Logan spoke into the com-link before nodding at his fellow team. “Let’s get this over with.”

They gained entry into the mansion easily, bypassing the security codes with Scott’s skill. A moment later they were standing in the shadowed foyer of the place that at one time had been home, had been a sanctuary to two of them.

Logan sniffed the air and a slow, maniacal grin slid across his face. He nodded down the hallway toward the Professor’s office. It would appear that Chuck hadn’t gone to bed just yet and for that he was glad. Meant one less worry.

“Jean?”

“She’s upstairs.” Logan replied softly.

“We’ll get her.” Val drawled carefully across the line. “ETA is ten minutes.”

Logan grunted an acknowledgement and moved deeper into the shadows with the others. Stealthily moving through the shadows they approached the impressive door and hunkered down. No sense in alerting the enemy without just cause.



Val glanced at Gabriel and nodded. The door they stood in front of swung open soundlessly and they stepped into the room. Laying on a heavy wooden king sized bed was a beautiful red-head. Dressed in a silk negligee, and wrapped in pale sheets she slept soundlessly.

Gabriel gestured toward the window and Val moved through the darkness. A quick stab of a slim dagger and the window was secured in place. Grabbing the length of rope attached to her hip Val moved closer to the bed.

Gabriel glanced over his shoulder at the tall man in the door. A nod and the man moved forward to grab the sleeping woman in a bruising grip.

Jean sat up startled automatically reaching up a hand to use her telekentics.

“Don’t even think about it bitch.” The low, furious growl in her ear had her freezing a moment before she met the dark gaze staring at her.

“Who the hell hmmmph.” She struggled as her hands and feet were quickly bound and a gag shoved into her mouth.

“Be a good little girl now Doc and maybe, just maybe you’ll live long enough to see your Professor.”

Grunting as the wind was knocked from her lungs Jean fumed as she was thrown over a rock hard shoulder and carried out of her room. Whoever had attacked wasn’t intent on getting out of the mansion if the direction they were walking was any indication.

“We’ve got her.”

Jean glanced sharply at the woman who smirked at her before starting down the stairs. A flare of recognition hit her a moment after they hit the landing below and turned the corner.

She renewed her struggles as she was carried through the shadows and into the Professor’s office. Dumped unceremoniously onto the floor she glared up at her assailant a moment before she glanced behind the desk.

Charles sat in stunned silence. His gaze darting from her to someone behind her and she whipped her head around to stare in shock at the two men standing eying her with barely disguised hatred.

“So nice of you to join us Jean.” Scott drawled as he moved to sit in a nearby chair. “Chuck was just commenting on our lack of planning.”

“Hmmpfph.” Jean struggled in her bonds.

She flinched when Logan stalked toward her and ripped the gag from her mouth. “What is the meaning of this? Have you come to your senses?”

“Not hardly.” Logan ground out. “Seems you two forgot something.”

“What?” Charles croaked.

“Our little arrangement.” Scott replied and watched Logan stalking around Jean, much like a tiger around a wounded animal.

Jean and Charles shared a telling look. “What do you mean?”

“You’ve forgotten that we don’t play around. The deal was you didn’t bring her back and you did just that. Now you have to deal with the consequences.”

“Please, you don’t understand. We needed her medical…” Charles protested.

“Bullshit.” Logan snarled his claws inching out slowly, tracing down the side of Jean’s face. “You had Blue. You had a chance to make things even, to secure the future of your pathetic little school and you failed.”

“The students…”

“Are scattered. What isn’t on a fieldtrip with the other teachers is scattered to the four corners of the continent.” Helen snickered and moved to sidle up behind Charles. “I warned you that I would destroy your soul, my son is not so generous. He’ll just destroy everything you hold dear.”

“You can’t do this!” Jean protested. “You can’t just walk in here and…”

“Shut up!” Logan backhanded her across the floor. “When I want your opinion I’ll give it to you. You cost three innocent girls their identities. You stole something from them without a thought, without a concern to anything but yourself!”

“Logan please…”

“Did you think I’d come back and fight over you? I wouldn’t have come back if she hadn’t been here. She was what drew me back and your attempts to destroy her have done nothing but anger me.”

“Logan please, I’m sure we can work out something.”

“No we can’t. I will not have her spending the rest of her life looking over her shoulder because she fears you’ll pop up and steal away everything she’s managed to reclaim. Death would be too good for you but it’s the only penance I’ve got!”

Jean looked at Scott in desperation only to see an indifferent, cruel look up on his face. There was no trace of the man she’d been involved with before Rogue’s arrival. No mercy, no kindness only a bitterness that told of a love that had escaped her. “Scott you can’t…”

“I can. I will.” Scott rose and looked at Logan. “Make her feel it. They deserve that much.”

Logan grinned as his claws inched back out and he grabbed Jean’s hair. Holding her steadily he trailed the claws down her face and over her throat, leaving long, angry red welts that oozed blood. “For your crimes against our girls, against the innocent you deserve this.”

“NO!” Charles reached a hand toward Logan. “Please I’m begging you!”

Logan glanced at Charles then back at Jean before smiling a cold, cruel twist of his face. “Beg harder.” He drawled and sunk the claws into Jean’s abdomen. “Beg really hard and maybe you’ll know what it was like for Kitty and Jubilee and Rogue.”

Lying writhing in agony Jean clutched at her abdomen even as she felt the suffocating sensation of warm blood oozing into her lungs. Death wasn’t far off and she shook as she realized that she had lost. She wondered where she’d gone wrong but only the dead could tell her.

Shaken, broken Charles stared at the figure on the floor. Beneath her a spreading pool of blood soaked into the carpet, unchecked. He stared as Logan stood to his full height and kicked Jean’s body away from him.

“She got what she deserved. Your precious team is gone, your students are no longer available to manipulate.” Logan paused and glanced at the others in the room. “Looks to me like you’re alone old man. You may have forgotten your end of the deal…I didn’t forget mine.”

Charles shook with sobs as he wheeled from behind his desk to Jean’s body. Crawling out of his chair he dragged himself to her as the room emptied. Holding her head carefully on his lap he sobbed openly, he did this, his fool pride had allowed her to be slaughtered and he had no one to blame but himself.

“If you want to keep your soul intact old man,” Helen whispered softly as she leaned down by him. “Then I suggest you really think. Learn from this. Because if I come back you’ll have nothing left…not even your mind.”

The sound of the door slamming was loud in the stillness and Charles leaned over Jean to wail brokenly. There was nothing left for him to cling to.
Chapter 75 by Shadowlady
Pulling the van to a halt in front of the mansion Hank glanced uneasily at Piotr who shrugged. Things were silent, too silent.

“What do you think?”

“Perhaps they’ve been here and gone.”

“Maybe.”

Shutting the doors of the vehicle the two men walked uneasily up the stairs and into the cool, silent foyer of the mansion. Nothing seemed out of place, there were no obvious signs of a raid or an attack.

Hank nodded down the hallway toward Charles’ office and started for the soft, muted sound coming from that direction. Opening the door to the office unannounced he stared.

Sitting in the middle of the floor was Charles, soaked with blood, his usual crisp attire wrinkled and askew.

“What happened?” Hank demanded looking at Jean who lay with her head in Charles’ lap.

“They killed her.” Charles whispered sadly as he glanced at the two men. “Last night while you were away! You should have been here, you should have…”

“No we shouldn’t. You knew the risks Charles and you chose to ignore them. Logan told you not to give her power, not to let her back into the world.”

“Then you’re just as much a traitor as Scott.” Charles glared at him. “We needed her, she was…”

“Your favorite.” Piotr replied stiffly. “That may be but you forgot something or rather someone. You forgot the girls who spent how many months being tortured because she wanted Logan in bed. Do you think that Logan and Scott don’t have a right to their grief, their anger?”

“They killed her. The girls are alive, they will wake tomorrow morning and Jean won’t. Jean won’t be there…”

Hank sighed as he moved further into the room. “The girls are dead Charles.”

Charles glared at him. “No they are not! They’re somewhere north…”

“No. The girls we knew, that group of young women is dead. They died because of Jean’s lust. The women that you speak of are merely the bodies. Inside, in the deepest part of their hearts those three women are not anything like those girls. Jean had a hand in that and so did you. You abused the system, abused your power just as Jean did. You chose to ignore the signs, chose to pretend that there was nothing wrong and now we’ve all had to pay.”

“What are you babbling about Hank?” Charles snapped laying Jean’s head on the floor gently and dragging himself to his chair. He would not stand for being spoken down to like some recaliant child; he was after all a powerful man.

“You made very few attempts to find the girls when they first disappeared. You let Jean make that choice and you left them to be tortured, to be raped, and mutilated without a moment’s guilt. Then you did the same thing with Storm. You left her in that place to be abused, to be tormented and filled with mind numbing drugs. You’re just as bad as Jean was!”

“How dare you!”

“I dare plenty!” Hank roared. “I see it in Ororo’s eyes on a daily basis. I hear it in the long, drawn out showers that barely muffle the sound of sobs. I’ve seen the results of being a beautiful woman in one of those places. I blame you for that!”

“Hank we should do something with her.” Piotr pointed out staring at the dead woman at his feet. “Storm’ll be back later with the children and they don’t need…”

“Of course. We’ll lay her to rest beneath the alder tree. Roll her in the rug. I’ll bury her if you will be so kind as to clean up the blood stain from the hard wood. I have a chemical solution for cleaning up the med-lab after a particularly bloody battle.”

“I’ll grab it.” Piotr grabbed the rug and began rolling. With Jean rolled up tight he glanced at Charles who glared at both of them with open disdain and anger. “What about him?”

“Let him be.” Hank drawled as he hefted Jean into his arms. “He has nothing left. Just a broken old man surrounded by empty possessions.”


Charles watched the two big men leave his office. His eyes slid to the floor and remained on the dark stain upon his floor. His team had abandoned him, they’d turned away from his dream.

Rolling to behind his desk he turned to stare out the window. Jean was dead, the X-Men were falling apart, and he was alone. His world had crumbled and all because he’d allowed his favorite to follow the dictates of her own mind and heart.

Granted he’d always known her mind had a darkness within it, a shadow the even he couldn’t control but he’d hoped and prayed that she’d have the strength he did not have.

Now he would have to face the truth. A truth he did not want to deal with. A truth that was more painful than anything he’d dealt with before. Jean’s hands may have been bloodied with innocent blood but he hadn’t escaped unscathed or clean. His soul was just as tarnished as hers; his hands had just as much blood on them.

Charles watched without seeing as Hank made short work of burying Jean beneath the old tree. To hide the freshly dug grave he watched the tall man place several large bloom filled pots atop the fresh soil.

~ “I told you old man…I would destroy your soul. You have to admit I’m much better than you at keeping my word. But then I’ve always lived by an honorable code something you forgot along the way!”~

Charles flinched at the soft echo in his mind and closed his eyes. Uncaring of the tears streaking down his face he sat in the growing light of day and sobbed, trying desperately to regain what he’d thrown away.
Chapter 76 by Shadowlady
For once Rogue was glad to have the house to herself. Logan and the guys had gone out to the lake with the boys, Jubilee and Kitty had both taken off into town.In the weeks since Jean Grey’s death they’d regained some hint of their former selves and were on a quest to get a few personal items. Smiling as she realized that neither Scott nor Tank was about to get too much sleep in the next day or so, Rogue poured another cup of coffee and listened for the soft sounds of the babies’ cries. Being mother of two and aunt to two was harder than she’d originally thought, her son added to her joy as she raised the little girl they’d rescued from the lab.

Putting her cup down at a soft knock on the door she headed for the door. She wasn’t expecting company. Although, Helen had mentioned that she’d left word along the underground that kids were welcomed here. Assuming that was the reason for the knock Rogue clipped the baby monitor to her hip and strode to answer the door.

She pulled it open to stare at the familiar woman on the porch. She could feel all the blood draining from her face and a tremble creep through her body.

“What the fuck do you want?”

“To talk.” Soft, like a spring breeze Storm whispered.

“About what? I have nothing to say to you now get off….”

“Charles is ill.”

“Good, I hope it takes him a long, painfilled time to die.” Rogue snarled and made to slam the door.

“I need to talk to you Rogue, I need to understand something.”

“What makes youthink I would help you?”

Storm flushed slightly before shrugging and glancing at her boots. “Tell me why.”

“Why what?”

“Why you weren’t there. Why you and the other two girls weren’t there to see Jean die. You could have done it yourself, you could have had an end and yuet you let Logan take her life. Why?”

Rogue stared at her, anger warred with sympathy and pity within her. Tensing at the first faint sounds of her son’s cry Rogue turned and hurried through the house. She didn’t need all the kids awake and James would certainly wake them if she didn’t stop his cries.

Clutching her sonto her chest she bowed her head. She didn’t have the strength to fight the never ending flood of X-Men and their interference. Her world revolved around her children, her husband, her identity as part of that world was gone.

“Please Rogue,” Storm’s voice made her start violently. She whirled around furiously, her eyes flashing and tugged at a gloved hand.

“These aren’t lab babies are they?” Storm glanced around at the four cribs in the room. Only one seemed to be older than a few months and she was still sleeping soundly, a faint, relaxing tune filling the room.

“I have nothing to say to you, now get out of my house. If I wanted to speak tyou I’d have stayed in New York.”

“I’m not working with Charlesw any longer Rogue. I work for myself. Hank, Piotr, and myself have begun building a new school. Chalres has left the mansion. He’s currently being treated in Paris.”

“Then let him stay there.”

“Let us have them back. Let us help you.”

“I wouldn’t give you a shovel full of shit much less any of these children. You made me. You and the rest of the X-Men killed the girl I was and left this angry, bitter, twisted shell in her stead.” Rogue hissed. “Now, get out of my sight. Go home to New York. Go play school teacher. Stay away from us or else.”

Storm sighed softly. She had to prove that she was no threat to Rogue, to the life that she’d built and the only way to do that was to surrender, to reveal her deepest darkest secret.

“I owe you an apology. You’re right; I had a hand in what happened. I let my own emotional turmoil blind me to what Jean was really like. I wanted you out of the way as well. I wanted you to vanish, to let me have my solitude, my life back. You brought something with you when you came to us that made me uncomfortable.”

“What? A sense of honor?”

“No. Logan.”

Rogue froze at the soft admission. “What about him?”

“I love Hank; he’s been good to me. He’s helped me deal with the hell I’ve endured but I didn’t want himat first. I wanted Hank for what he stood for.”

“What are you babbling about?”

“Hank is very much a gentlemen but I wanted him to be more primal, more animalistic, like Logan. I envied you what you’d managed to get from him. It’s taken me a long time to realize that in my own foolish way I was no beter than Jean or Chalres. I wanted to say I’m sorry.”

“I don’t care anymore,” Rogue replied stiffly. “You see I have Logan, I know he loves me and nothing will ever change that. If you want sympathy you’ve come to the wrong place.”

“I haven’t come for pity. I came to tell you that as far as I’m concerned, as far as my teammates are concerned this is over. You leave us alone, we’ll leave you alone. I see that you won’t return the children so I’ll have to make do with that.” Storm turned and walked toward the front door. “Congratulations, Rogue. You’ve managed to do something that Magneto’s been trying to do for years.”

“I don’t care. Now get out, and don’t come back. You come back, I’ll have you arrested!”

Storm hid a smile as she opened the door and stepped out into the warm afternoon sunlight. She glanced once behind her to see Rogue holding the baby closely, before turning and heading for her car. Charles had no power over the girls any more and for that she was glad.
Chapter 77 by Shadowlady
Charles blinked in the soft light, his vision blurry as he stared down at his feet. Catching movement off to the right he sighed and closed his eyes. He had nurses coming and going within his room all the time, there was no peace for a man like him and he wondered if they would ever get tired of coming and disturbing him.

He wasn’t sure how long he waited but confusion set in as he realized that although there were three bodies, three minds in his room besides his own, he wasn’t being poked at. Shifting he wheezed as he moved, and opened his eyes to stare into the bitter gazes of three faces he’d believed he would never see again.

A bolt of fear ripped through him as they stared back at him. “What…what do you want?” he forced out past chapped lips.

Rogue smiled coldly, her features twisting with hatred. “To watch you die old man. Tell me, how does it feel?”

“I…I…don’t know what you mean.” Charles coughed harshly, his hand going to the summons button. He jerked in his bed as a glove encased fist smashed down on it, jerking it beyond his reach.

“You’re pathetic you know that?” Kitty drawled shifting her weight slightly and rocking back and forth on her heels. “Such a worthless pile of skin and bones. So what’s killing you? Your own evil?”

Charles closed his eyes tiredly. “I have nothing left…”

“We don’t care.” Jubilee retorted harshly. “See you still owe us something, you haven’t paid off your debt yet.”

Paling even more, Charles barely heard the heart rate monitor jacking up as he stared at the trio. What could they do to him now? What did they want from him?

“You sold us out. Gave up on us even before you’d ever really tried to find us.” Rogue started softly. “For the longest time I hated that fact. I hated what you allowed, what you encouraged to happen to us. But I’ve come to realize that if you hadn’t done what you did we wouldn’t have what we have. You see, old man, you still lose. You destroyed the lives of three girls. Ripped apart our faith, our self awareness and left us to rot in those tiny cells. We however, were stronger than that. We found a strength within ourselves that you could never break.”

“I’m sorry.” Charles gasped painfully.

“Oh, no, old man. You don’t get a free pass to forgiveness.” Rogue moved forward and leaned over the bed, her fingers tracing his face gently. “Frankenstein doesn’t sleep, there is no weakness within her, and your precious X-Men are gone. No students, no teachers, no wealthy, nothing but a broken, filthy freak. You get to die alone, unwanted, hated, resented, spat upon.”

She smiled gently. “And we get to go on living. Welcome to forever old man, you get a sample of what we endured.” Stepping back she allowed Jubilee to slide a long, thin needle deep into the IV and drain the syringe.

Turning they started for the door, only to pause at the gasps coming from the bed.

“I trusted in her, and for that I am truly sorry.”

“Not yet, you aren’t.” Rogue replied and turned to walk away. The soft click of the door closing even louder in the air as Charles lay there feeling the slow, steady burn of something within his body. Even as he felt the drugs taking effect he couldn’t scream out, the agony seared over him as he closed his eyes, begging silently for mercy that would never come.



Rogue stopped just outside of the hospital and glanced upwards into the warm sunlight, a slight smile on her face. Exhaling she turned her head and looked at her friends, “Come on, lets get home. I have a hankering to see my family.” Laughing the trio headed for the nondescript black car sitting idling.

Had Charles been able to see out his window he would have seen three women slide into it, and the dark haired man who sat behind the wheel. He would have seen the banked anger, the rage, and hatred that twisted Logan’s face for a moment before the car vanished into traffic. But all Charles saw was the searing wash of pain that engulfed him and the blackness that came with it. Gladly he surrendered to it, anxious to get away from the pain of his failures, and his loss.

He had no way of knowing that the ones he’d deemed unsuitable for his ‘dream’ were doing what he had never been able to. That in his devotion to Jean Greye, he had set into motion a group that would one day see his dream…their dream of unity come true.
Epilogue by Shadowlady
Author's Notes:
This is for Moonlightgoddess - thanks for the support. I'm glad you enjoyed this story.
Ororo frowned at the traffic in front of her small car. It had been a long, hard road in the years since Charles had passed away. The news hadn’t come as a shock; she’d known his time had been short after everything that had happened. What came as a shock was the news that he’d died from a heart attack he suffered after he’d had visitors.

She wondered briefly if his visitors had been Frankenstein, if the monster that the X-Men had unwittingly created had come back to haunt him. The low drone of the radio did little to sooth her as she stared at the cars before her. Time hadn’t eased the guilt, the pain of knowing that she’d allowed three innocent girls to be abused so horribly.

Even as she considered their torment she felt the old, familiar dread fill her as she realized that she had suffered to. She’d been abandoned by her team, by Charles just like Rogue and her friends.

A movement off to her right caught her eye and Ororo turned to watch the black mini-van as its doors opened. She smiled at the small, dark haired girl that climbed out of the side, she would be a beauty when she was grown, the long dark hair fell past her waist, and she wore an easy smile. The driver’s door opened and Ororo paled at the figure that stepped out. Rogue smiled down at the girl, her obvious pregnant body barely hidden beneath the silk shirt she wore.

While ‘Ro couldn’t read her lips, she had no doubt that the girl was her daughter. The same dark good looks, the same mannerisms, all told of a blood tie that may never have happened if Charles and Jean had been alive. Tears scalded Ro’s eyes as she watched Logan appear with Scott in toe. The two men smiled, an ease between them that they’d never had when they’d been at the mansion. She watched in shock and dismay as two small children appeared from the other side of the van, and hurried to Scott.

The happiness in his face left a bitter taste in her mouth as she watched the man she’d once considered a leader pick up the little boy and take hold of the girl’s hand. The two men stood talking to Rogue for a moment, Logan’s hand around her waist, his fingers drawing on her stomach as he held his daughter.

“Dear Goddess what did we do?” Ro asked softly as her car inched forward. Her eyes scanned the parking lot. If Logan and Scott were there where were the others? She spotted the SUV that rolled along to park next to the minivan and the doors opened. The tall, muscular man that stepped out to greet Scott and Logan with a handshake was as familiar as the young woman dressed in yellow and black that joined him. She carried a toddler, another walked next to her and her waist had thickened to reveal another child on the way.

A blaring horn sounded behind her and Ro turned her attention back to the traffic. She pulled forward, inched into place and turned off the main stream of traffic. Pain ripped through her as she caught sight of the group in her rearview, they were walking hand and hand toward the mall, the children’s happy faces at ease. As she sped along, Ro reached for her phone and pulled into a lone parking spot.

“Xavier’s School for Gifted Children,” Hank’s rich voice was a welcomed sound even as Ro sobbed her head against the steering wheel. “Ororo? Is that you? What’s wrong?”

Ro collected herself, “I saw them Hank. I saw Logan and Scott and the girls. They’ve got families Hank, babies – Goddess Hank, why? Why did we hurt them so badly?”

“I don’t know my love. Where are you and I’ll come pick you up.”

Ro glanced around her and told him before hanging up softly. She stared ahead, her hands tight on the steering wheel as silent tears rained down her face. Her entire body jumped at a sharp rap on her window and she turned her head to stare into the cold, merciless hazel eyes of a man she’d once considered a friend. With a trembling hand she rolled down the window, if he wanted to kill her, it would offer no protection either way.

“Small world ain’t it?” Logan ground out. “You uh enjoying your handy work?”

Ro swallowed painfully, “No. I know you don’t believe me Logan but I am sorry about what happened to those girls. I’m even sorrier for what happened to you and Scott and everyone. I didn’t know. –“

“Save the excuses for someone who’ll believe you.” Logan snarled. “Betcha thought I didn’t see you. Betcha thought even if I did I wouldn’t do anything about it. You were wrong. I saw you, and I’m only gonna say this once. Stay the hell away from us, or I’ll let the girls play with you and they may be mothers but they’re still trained to kill. They don’t have the same respect for life as I do – especially yours.”

Logan turned and strode away, leaving Storm to watch his retreating figure in silence. She jerked her door open and was violently ill as the sound of a rumbling engine filled the afternoon air. Long after Logan had vanished into the crowd she sat there in her car, a tremble in her body as she waited for her husband to come and get her. There would be no peace for them – they’d done too many wrongs to those who hadn’t deserved it. But there could be an uneasy truce and she’d have to live with that.
This story archived at http://wolverineandrogue.com/wrfa/viewstory.php?sid=183