Leaving Home by Shadowlady
Summary: A different take on Rogue leaving home.
Categories: AU Characters: None
Genres: Angst
Tags: None
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 1154 Read: 1787 Published: 06/07/2007 Updated: 06/07/2007

1. Chapter 1 by Shadowlady

Chapter 1 by Shadowlady
Author's Notes:
Based very, very loosely upon Reba McEntire's song Fancy!
Feedback is always appreciated, I hope you like it.
The warmth of her blankets seeped through Marie’s body as she lay listening to yet another screaming match from downstairs. Flinching as though struck with each shouted curse, each accusation, she felt the hot scald of tears as they trailed over her face.

Closing her eyes against the pain she could hear her father’s angry voice. “She’s a freak Marlene! A horrid, disgusting freak. How could you bring that into this world? Do you have no self-respect? She is no longer my daughter! I have no daughter! I’m calling them.”

“No Harold, you can’t! She’s still our flesh and blood. You can’t possibly sell her out to those horrid men!” The sound of her mother’s sobs burnt through her defenses as she pulled the blankets over her head.

“I can and I will. I want her out of this house! NOW! Not tomorrow, not next week but now!”

“Please, let me handle this. Let me deal with the problem!”

“You have until morning to get rid of her. I don’t care how, just do it. If she’s still here I’m callin’ that Army officer.”

Long after the front door had slammed shut, Marie could hear her mother’s muffled sobs. Huddled beneath the covers she listened absently, she would run away. She would take her things and leave. What was out there couldn’t be worse than what was here, now.

The sound of her mother’s muffled voice on the phone had her tensing. Maybe, momma had changed her mind. Maybe Momma had decided to call that officer. She thought and blinked as her eyes and throat burnt with unshed tears.

The pale glow of the hall light on the floor had her sitting upright, her gaze darting to the doorway. “Momma?”

“Shh, baby.” Marlene wiped at her face and pasted a smile on her face. “We have to hurry. Your father’ll be home soon.”

“Momma, what are you doing?” She whispered as her mother flicked on the bedroom light and began throwing clothes, personal possessions into the bag carelessly. Marie gasped as a roll of bills was tossed into the bag before her mother had zipped it up. “Momma?”

“Hurry now, get dressed. I fixed things for you.”

“How? What do you mean? Fixed things? You mean I’m not a freak…?”

Marie watched her mother pause and her shoulders sagged. This wasn’t going to be good news.

“There’s a man coming, Marie. He’s gonna take you somewhere safe. A special place for people like you.”

“A lab?”

“No baby girl, a place you can live your life.” Marlene bit her lip before she took her daughter’s hands in hers. “He’s gonna take care of you, he’ll protect you…”

“But?”

“Trust me baby, just be nice to him and he’ll be nice to you. Don’t look back Marie, don’t try to come home.”

Marie tensed at the sound of an engine outside and stared at her mother. “Momma what do I do?”

“Just trust me. Be nice to him, Marie. Stay with him.” Marlene explained. “Now hurry, put on some clothes, it’s time to go.” Rushing from the room she hurried to answer the summons from the doorbell.

Marie dressed by automatum as she heard the distinct rumble of a man’s voice downstairs. Pulling on her cloak and gloves she grabbed her bag and headed down the stairs. Stopping at the foot of the stairs she swallowed, her eyes meeting the hazel gaze that settled upon her.

“Marie this is Logan.”

“She knows?”

His low rumble drew a shudder from Marie as she stood while he visually undressed her before nodding his head slightly.

“We’re agreed Mr. Logan. Keep her safe.”

“Don’t try to contact her,” He ground out angrily. “From now on she’s mine and I won’t be generous in giving her back.”

“Agreed.” Marlene smiled at her daughter and hugged her hard. “Be safe Marie. Trust him, don’t fight him, and he will protect you. I know you don’t understand right now but you will. Go now, before Dad gets home.”

Tugged along behind the stranger Marie didn’t struggle as she was led to an older, beat up pickup. The door closed upon her as she stared out of the window at her mother’s figure in the light from the door.

She jumped when the driver’s door slammed shut and turned to look at the man who would be her protector. “So what …?”

“Relax, kid.” Logan said as he started the truck. “You’ve got some time to get used to the arrangement.”

“What is the arrangement?” Marie whispered softly as she stared at him.

“Like I told your Mother, you’re mine.”

“Are you going to hurt me?”

Marie swallowed at the banked violence in his gaze, her stomach clenched tight with fear.

“Hurt you? No, I’ll protect you. Sit back and relax. We’ve got a long way to go before we’re home.”

“Where is home?” Marie asked uneasily, drawing her bag up her legs to clutch it to her chest.

“A small cabin outside of Whitehorse. Be there in a few months, just got to make some money first.”

“And me?”

“Get some sleep. I’ll watch over you.”

For some reason Marie couldn’t shake the solid belief that this man would protect her. Turning slightly she watched her home vanish in the darkness and swallowed. Somehow she knew she would never be back here. Casting a glance at the man next to her she slid down in the seat and closed her eyes, she would wait to see what the future brought her.



Marlene glanced at the plain envelope handed to her by the post man. Opening it with shaky fingers she moved through the house and paused in the kitchen. Glancing out the patio doors she watched her husband as he sat in the shade of an old willow. It had been years since that night she’d given her daughter to a stranger and Harold had aged in that time.

Pulling out the page she unfolded it and settled on a chair in the warm sunlight to read the writing.

Dear Momma;

I hope you are well. I hope Daddy has managed to get past his anger and is happy. I am sorry for the way things happened. I just wanted to drop you a quick line and let you know that I’m glad you did what you did. I’m happy Momma; I know now what you were doing. I understand, and I forgive you. Our life together has been hard and its taken time but we’re settled, at peace.

Goodbye Momma. God bless you and keep you…he has blessed me, us. Marie.
This story archived at http://wolverineandrogue.com/wrfa/viewstory.php?sid=1699