The Magician by Joanne
Summary: Second part of the Tarot Series
Categories: AU Characters: None
Genres: Drabble, Friendship
Tags: None
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: Tarot Series
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 592 Read: 1830 Published: 06/05/2007 Updated: 06/05/2007

1. The Magician by Joanne

The Magician by Joanne
Author's Notes:
Part two of the Tarot series.
Marie finds out what she *can* do.
'Creation isn't easy,
Taking nothing and making something
Is a task for Gods,
Not mortals.'

**********************************************************

The place was *finally* clean, it was small, boxy and on the range of just being above 'seedy' but it was all *hers*.
She'd been working since she hit New York, now that the cure was being touted as the 'wonder-drug' work was getting scarce. She worked a full shift at a coffee shop as well as a small grocers on the corner in the evenings. She didn't mind the work, it was enough to have people touch her as they took change from her fingers. She ended her day tired and happy.

That feeling lasted a month.

She was coming home one night when the choice of her new home was suddenly forced into her mind. Three men with guns were running down her hallway, their faces snarling at her. They wanted to get to the fire escape behind her and she was in the way, one raised a gun to fire at her but she was already dropping to the floor. Her leg snapped out as he passed her, the blow against his knee smashing the joint. His cry not even stopping his friends that vaulted over him, acting on instinct she grabbed the second man that passed her. Making him crash down on top of his friend, the third man pulling his weapon round to her only to find her foot smashing into his wrist.

It was only afterward when the police were taking her statement that she realised exactly *what* she'd done. She'd taken down three armed men without a thought, they were threatening her and she'd dealt with it. No need for a leather suit, or a team to back her up, after that she held her head a little higher. Even the neighbours on either side were a little more friendly toward her, life was getting better out here. She was living for herself, doing what she wanted to do. Creating a life she was proud of.

That all changed when she caught the news while she was serving behind the counter at the coffee shop. The news was on as always and on the screen were the X-Men, fighting against what looked to be Juggernaut. She stopped and watched the fight, people around her were treating it like a prize fight. Some were calling for the X-Men to lose as others were willing them to win. She kept silent as her eyes scanned for Logan, she found him, fighting a shaved Sabertooth. His face was screwed up in hatred but he hadn't lost any of his fire, she watched as Logan tried to take Sabertooth apart. Watched as Logan got the beating of his life from the shaved Sabertooth, his laughing face making her palms itch uncomfortably. A red beam hit Sabertooth in the face and he went down in a red cloud of blood and tissue.

The X-Men had won but the clean up was still going on, Juggernaut was making it a hard thing to do. Logan was still down and Kitty was with him trying to keep them both from getting further injuries from flying debris. Storm was frying Juggernaut as best she could but her eyes kept finding Logan on the cold pavement. A decision made she slapped her pad on the counter and left, she knew the intersection was about three blocks West adn she headed for it.

She had to help, he needed her. Logan needed her help and she could give it.
This story archived at http://wolverineandrogue.com/wrfa/viewstory.php?sid=1674