Lithium Sunset by Drea Jackman
Summary: Rogue worries about Logan’s restless spirit while Logan manages to set her mind at ease.
Categories: X1 Characters: None
Genres: Shipper
Tags: None
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: Dog Tags (WIP)
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 2861 Read: 1652 Published: 02/01/2001 Updated: 02/01/2001

1. Lithium Sunset by Drea Jackman

Lithium Sunset by Drea Jackman
Author's Notes:
Up to part 6 of the tags series. Still don't know how far it'll go. Guess you'll just hafta wait 'n' see won'cha!
Later that day, around lunch Rogue was getting into the dining hall to go eat with the others. 'Damn labs' she grumbled. Looking round the room she immediately found Logan watching her from his place at the head of the hall, where he sat beside Storm and Xavier. Scott and Jean sat together opposite.

Snapping out of her daydream and finally drawing her eyes away from Logan, Rogue turned her attention to her usual table at the lower end of the hall. Noticing her friend standing in the doorway, Jubilee waved to her. Smiling and waving back, Rogue hurried to take the vacant seat left at the table.

Logan only watched as he listened absently to the others talking over how slow things had been on the X-Men front. Apart from training and such, they hadn't had to suit up in some time.

"So what do you think Logan?" he heard the Professor ask. 'Shit, what I miss now?' he thought. He turned and looked back at Xavier blankly. Xavier was perfectly aware of Logan's lack of attention and smiled repeating himself.

"Would you consider resuming your place on the team?"

Logan nodded silently in acceptance then shifted his attention to Storm who sat on his left side, frantically grading papers due for release in the afternoon class. Absently he thought about what he could do to help them. Sure he could fight on the team and stuff, but what about some way of repaying them for giving him this home, this chance to make something of himself. He couldn't teach like Scott or Ororo, and definitely not like the Professor. 'There's gotta be somethin'...' he wondered.

"We shall also be requiring some additional help from you." the Professor continued softly.

Logan's eyes darted back to the man on his right. "I...can't," he stumbled.

"Combat training, assault and defense exercises, both on the team and for the students."

A crooked smile grew on Logan's face as he accepted. How could Xavier have known to say that at exactly that moment? Then it hit him. Telepath. 'Get a grip Logan.' he thought, snapping his concentration back to what was going on at the table. "No problem."

"Excellent, then we'll arrange the details later in the week." the Professor stated.

Logan nodded in agreement and then excused himself, standing up and leaving the table. Absentmindedly wondering where the 'hell' he'd developed manners like excusing himself when he was done at the table. 'Come to mention it, since when do I eat at a table?' As he reached the door to the main hallway he glanced back over his shoulder to where Rogue sat. He saw that her eyes had followed him across the room and were rested on him right now. A smirk spread across his face and he turned and left the room. Rogue watched him go quietly then returned to her food.

She didn't see him for the rest of the day. It wasn't that, that had bothered her though. It was the fact that he'd arranged to meet her later, and now he was nowhere to be seen. It was starting to get dark outside now, not like dark and dank or anything, just a little less bright, although the sun had barely begun to set.

Deciding that she felt like a little time to think the past twenty-four hours over, Rogue was heading to her 'place', somewhere she could be alone to think. When Logan's nightmares had taken hold just after he left for the Alkali Lakes she'd gone there alot to gather herself and her thoughts back together.

As she walked along the corridor on the top floor of the mansion Rogue still wondered where the 'heck' Logan had disappeared to after lunch. Carefully she slid the window at the far end of the walkway open and perched on the sill, ready to exit.

The faint sound of breathing made her stop. She'd known that her senses were much keener than the average humans or mutants for that matter, since Logan had saved her and so she recognized the scent that followed the sounds. Smiling at the warm recognition, then frowning her confusion Rogue quietly stepped out onto the roof.

Logan stood by the edge at the far side, leaning back against the mortar. Rogue could see that his eyes were closed as he inhaled deeply. She took a few steps toward him then stopped about three feet away, looking back to the window she'd come through, then turning back to him again.

"Come here of'n?" she spoke quietly, a smile on her face as she played with him.

Logan jumped and whirled round to face the intruder taking up a fighters stance, his teeth clenched and his claws extended.

Rogue backed away quickly trying to calm him down. "Hey, slow down there Wolvie..." she teased.

He frowned and caught his breath, his heart racing now. "What the hell you tryin' ta do kid?" he questioned.

"Ah thought you'd a heard me anyway, 'n' this is mah spot, ah didn't think y'all would be here."

Her explanation was lost on him, for the time being. He cleared his throat and raised his left eyebrow in a quirk he'd noticed she smiled at. "Wolvie?"

"Uh, yeah. Wha's a matter, y' not like pet names from your friends or somethin'? How bout kid? Y' seem t' like that."

Logan nodded in understanding. "I got one a those. It's just real far away right now." He shrugged and looked down at his hands, realizing his claws were still out. he wasn't sure why, but as an afterthought he noticed that his knuckles seemed to bleed more than usual from the wounds the blades created. Taking a deep breath he retracted them and grimaced as the wounds reopened. Fresh blood welled up from the cuts, but slowly they began to close over and heal.

"Damn. Ah'm sorry Logan." Rogue hurried to him. "Ah didn't mean t' make you..." she gestured to his blood-covered knuckles, then looked up at him, brown pools shining apologetically.

She pulled a handkerchief out of her jeans pocket and gestured to him, as if asking permission to help. When Logan only met her stare, returning it, she took first his right hand in her black-gloved one then the left, gently cleaning the blood stains away to reveal healed hands.

As she tended to his hands Logan smelled the same citrus scent that had been left on her pillow that morning. He fought the urge to react in only the way he, Wolverine, could react. While she was paying attention to his hands, he bit his lip as she often had in times of stress or anxiety, and concentrated on not growling or doing something he'd regret later.

'You'd never regret it' one voice echoed inside his head. 'Shut up, you would.' said the other. 'Wouldn't. Would, your here to take care of her not....whatever the hell you're thinkin' now!' The arguement went on inside his head while he managed to remain silent.

Rogue, now finished cleaning him up, tried to concentrate on continuing a conversation and not the 'these' thoughts she was having.

"We can share, if ya'd like." she offered.

"Hm?" he hadn't been paying full attention to words at that moment, but he'd already known that.

"This spot, " she began again. "We can share it if yours is too far away. Ah don' mind."

"Thanks kid." Logan smirked, a smirk which only grew into a smile as Rogue screwed up her nose at his 'kid' pet name. "Sorry darlin'."

It was Rogue's turn to smile brightly.

"Guess I'd better watch that from now on huh?"

Still smiling Rogue turned and went to the outer most corner. The sun was still going down over the hills and it reflected the prettiest colours and beams through the surrounding trees. Sitting down and staring out toward the sunset she wrapped her arms around her legs, pulling them up to her chest, hugging tightly. Glancing back to Logan as he stood in the same spot, she saw he was staring out at the sky too. "Ya just gonna stand there or what?" she teased again.

Logan shifted uncomfortably then went to sit by her. As she sat in the corner of the roof section, he took up a place behind her on the same ledge. "Happy now?" he grunted.

"Ah think so." she breathed. There was a long silence as the two of them just sat and started out at the fading sunlight cast across the twilight sky, enjoying each others presence. "So why y' up here?"

No answer. She heard him shift again, getting comfortable. "If ya needed t' think an' wanted t' be alone, what's wrong? You can tell me y' know."

"I know Marie." The statement was flat and to the point. He knew he could tell her anything and she'd listen to him. She'd be the one person in his corner even if the world turned on it's head. "Guess it's just a feelin' I had." he began roughly. "Like I'm not used to bein' in one place too long."

He saw her shoulders slump and she released her hug, her legs stretching out in front of her, hands coming to rest in her lap. Placing a firm hand on one shoulder to reassure her of his presence. "Hey, what is it?"

"You're not settled Logan, an' it's not like you, not in you to settle, not for anything." She sighed and regained her composure. "No matter how happy ah am that you're back, no matter how much ah want it, you'll never be settled here." She wanted to add 'with me' but she thought better of it.

He squeezed his grip on her shoulder and lowered his head toward hers, lips stopping barely a hairs-breadth from her ear. "Why do you think I came back?" he breathed against her in a soft whisper.

Rogue was tired. Tired from having little sleep from his nightmares, tired from staying awake to watch over his the night before, tired of guessing what he was thinking about when it came to her. She could only sigh and shrug against his hold on her shoulder.

Logan responded in a way she was totally unprepared for. He leaned her back a little further by pulling on her shoulder, his lips staying precious millimetres from her ear. "I'm home, " he whispered. "If you want me to be." he added, not wanting to make her feel pressured or scared. He wasn't sure where they were headed or what would happen, but as long as he was with her he didn't care. To the ends of the Earth and back, the outreaches of the Universe, or just sitting together on the roof like now.

Rogue felt her mouth fall open and a sudden need for air. 'What the hell is he doin'?' she thought as her lungs drew in a breath so fast she had trouble exhaling again. His breath was still warm on her skin and he smelled so good. 'Damn why does he hafta be so close right now?' Taking another deep breath she answered him in a low whisper in which her accent seemed to draw out. "Welcome home sugah."

Logan smiled again. 'Damn, not again!' he grumbled. 'You're gonna lose that reputation if this keeps up.'

"Thanks darlin'." he teased, or only half teased to attempt to keep some of his reputation intact, but even he knew it was lost on her. She knew his story, had him down better than even he did. He couldn't play "Ol' Wolverine" for her and pull it off, he always came off as Logan. He let his gaze drift back from the setting sun to fall on her form as she sat just next to him.

"Beautiful ain't it?" she gasped, referring to the scene.

Logan's eyes never moved. "Yeah, it is." His voice was soft, his hand sliding over the shoulder where it had once rested comfortably. Slowly reaching the crook of her elbow as her lower arm twisted away to sit in her lap now, he spread his fingers and let them dance their way along her forearm and slip over the soft material of her gloves.

As Rogue felt his hand begin to slowly run down her arm, not in any kind of normal way, in an electric-sparks flyin' kinda way. She knew it'd be hopeless trying to cover up her obvious reaction, seeing as it had beaten her to it. She let out a long held breath slowly as her heart began to race.

His fingers slid over her delicate wrist and almost played with her fingers. Hers responded in kind as she began to feel the heat from his body against her back. it came as instinct to lean back into him and lie her head back in his chest. Logan's fingers entangled Rogue's and they settled, finally resting on Logan's knee as he shifted again very slightly to allow her to be more comfortable.

"What's it like Logan?" Rogue asked softly after a while.

"What?" he replied.

"Your special place, what's it like?"

"Cold," he thought of better words, better phrases, none of them very Logan-like. 'Must be the company,' he mused. "There's alot of snow. You hearda the Northern Lights?"

"Yeah, ah always wanted t' see those."

"Built a cabin up there, right beneath them come the season." he finished, remembering how peaceful it had been.

"Cabin, really?" she questioned in disbelief.

"Well, more like a lean-to, but you get the idea."

She nodded back against him and they became lost in thought, fantasies, all the sensations of the moment again. Silence.

The last rays from the Sun were now cast upon them, final tranquillity brought in the Lithium Sunset. It acted like a drug, intoxicating them both. To the casual observer the pair may have been taken for lovers sharing a moment in some spot, some special place known only for its value to them.

Against the golden rays Logan's face was just above Rogue's, his mouth by her ear. She could hear the steady breathing as he could hear the beating of her heart. All too soon the last light faded and the sky became dark, the roof cast deep in shadow.

Logan squeezed her hand in his and spoke in a low monotone, just by her ear. "C'mon kid." Instantly cursing himself for calling her that again.

"Alright." she responded, shifting to lean forward off of him.

They both stood slowly at the same time, Rogue still with her back to Logan, their bodies close. Personal space hadn't seemed to be an issue either one of them was concerned about since his return. She flexed her fingers still in his grip, just feeling their presence, but not doing anything to remove the pleasing contact. Feeling the contentment and relaxation she was experiencing with Logan now, Rogue fought slightly to suppress a yawn, unsuccessfully.

"Tired?" he said with a smirk, so Wolverine. He released her fingers and put his hand to the small of her back, turning her, "Guess we'd better call it a night."

She nodded with a half smile and let him guide her off toward the window. Climbing through first she caught her breath. The mansion's heating felt like it was on overdrive. As Logan climbed through and stood at her side he could only curse, this followed by fumbling to remove his denim jacket. 'Damn glad I left the other behind.' he thought. "Holy shit, this place is hot!" he exclaimed aloud.

"Hm." Rogue agreed beginning to walk down the corridor.

She was thinking, he didn't know what about, but since they got down from the roof he was sure of it. 'That girls got stuff goin' on up in there.'

As they turned the corner and reached his door, Rogue stopped expecting to say her goodnights but when she turned round to face him, he was still facing her, halted as if he was headed somewhere else. She frowned back at him in askance.

Logan simply pressed one hand to the small of her back once more and gestured for her to carry on to her door. As she followed his direction she could only wonder what he was up to. 'Bein' a gentleman' wasn't really up there with her first guess. The low metallic tinkle of the tags around his neck rattled back to her as she felt them bounce from their place on his chest to her back.

Again she turned to face him, also resting a hand on the door handle. "Logan?" she asked.

He said nothing for the moment, simply held out a hand for hers. Once she had slowly done as he'd asked she felt the warm metal he placed in her hand and smiled. "Sweet dreams darlin'." he whispered and flashed her a very Loganesque smirk, one he was now aware of and its effects on her, so he added the arched eyebrow for good measure. He turned and went back to his door, glancing back to her he stepped inside.
This story archived at http://wolverineandrogue.com/wrfa/viewstory.php?sid=1672