Answer by Kat
Summary: Bobby's convinced he could be her answer. Follows "Shadows Calling."
Categories: X2 Characters: None
Genres: Angst
Tags: None
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 710 Read: 1320 Published: 12/18/2003 Updated: 12/18/2003

1. Chapter 1 by Kat

Chapter 1 by Kat
I wish I was more surprised to see her gone, but I'm not. I knew somewhere inside as it was all falling apart that it was inevitably going to end up like this. She never felt like she belonged here. Can't say I blame her either. Being the freak among freaks takes a toll.

I wonder if she knows just how much I understand? How much I could've helped her? Hell, there are a bunch of us here who started out not being able to touch anyone for fear of what our powers could do. Yeah, I know for her it seems a lot more permanent, but we were working on it, we even managed a little...

But she's not for me, I know that. I doubt she thinks I do. She was almost angry that she had to break up with me, but I know it wasn't because she was angry with me, it was more because she was angry at herself. I knew from the beginning that it wasn't going to last. I'm not stupid, no matter what it may look like on the outside. So I froze his hand when he came back, so what? That wasn't stupidity, it was anger. Just like I know Rogue's not for me, I also know why – him. They bonded in a way that I can never get between, and then he goes and runs off on some lead on his past and leaves her. Yeah, that's real conducive to her having healthy relationships – the first boy she kissed is a permanent resident in her head, her parents threw her out, her neighborhood blamed her, she was kidnapped and used by a psychopath, and the one person she even remotely trusted takes off as soon as it looks like something might help him remember his past. Yep, she's real high up there on his list of priorities, oh yeah.

Okay, I'm bitter. I'll admit it. But it's only because no matter how much I know she's not for me, I still love her. And I was there for her like he wasn't, damn it. I was here when he wasn't, and I tried so hard to be good for her. To make things a little more normal for her.

The scary part, and maybe even the sad part, is that I still want to. I haven't given up on her changing her mind. Even if she's not for me, I want her to be.

So I won't fight you, Marie. Not you, not Logan. But I'll be here. Waiting, probably like a fool. But I will.

I can't even find the words to explain why. It's just something inside me. Something about being with her makes me feel like more than I am, like a man, like someone important. Or at least, it did...

So here I'll stay, knowing how part of me will always need her, and hoping that she might need me too, more than she knows. And maybe she'll come back.

Better still, maybe she won't come back for Logan.

Maybe she'll come back for me.



Answer, Sarah McLachlan

I will be the answer at the end of line
I will be there for you while you take the time
In the burning of uncertainty I will be your solid ground
I will hold the balance if you can't look down

If it takes my whole life, I won't break I won't bend
It'll all be worth it, worth it in the end
`Cause I can only tell you what I know
that I need you in my life
When the stars have all gone out
you'll still be burning so bright

Cast me gently into morning
For the night has been unkind
Take me to a place so holy
That I can wash this from my mind
The memory of choosing not to fight

If it takes my whole life, I won't break I won't bend
It'll all be worth it, worth it in the end
`Cause I can only tell you what I know
That I need you in my life
And when the stars have all burned out
You'll still be burning so bright
Cast me gently into morning for the night has been unkind.
This story archived at http://wolverineandrogue.com/wrfa/viewstory.php?sid=1563